PDA

View Full Version : Bleach 268 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
March 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
(Apparently, people were complaining to Maximum7 about the use of the word “nakama” in the chapter because it was “too One Piece”. Where the fuck do they get off complaining when there’s no decent way to translate it into English? That’s just bullshit.)

268. Death Is Not Goodbye

That…was much better than last week’s chapter.

First off, the art was incredible. I especially loved how Kubo did the cover page, which is my new (and only) favorite one--and yes, that includes the desktop-amenable cover spreads. But Mt. Koifushi in general was rendered very well throughout the chapter. The trees themselves often looked photo-realistic, and the scenery in general really drew me in and made me feel like I was there, in a way. That almost never happens with me, so to be impacted by it so much is impressive.

It was also enjoyable to see more interaction between Kaien and Rukia, which (to be honest) I found more enjoyable than Rukia and Ichigo’s interaction after the SS-Arc. They had a very close, interesting relationship that made for a great read. More importantly, we got to know more about both of them as characters, which is especially important for Kaien because it helps make him seem like less of a palette swap of Ichigo with weird eyelashes. I like how he and Ukitake cared so deeply for their subordinates, since it’s pretty rare among the Gotei 13 leadership and makes them seem more human, somehow.

Now, I know people have been complaining about how the Third Dance was seemingly unimpressive compared to the other 2…but wasn’t it just refreshing to see A’Roniro get stabbed in the fucking face? That made it seem worth doing for me, especially since no one ever takes such sure fire attacks like that in Bleach. Granted, A’Roniro’s spare head may let him live, but whatever…

I’m also glad that Rukia was able to see that A’Roniro isn’t Kaien, since I was really worried that she wouldn’t be able to (as I so bitterly lamented last week). I’m not sure how I feel about Rukia conveniently remembering the week after her will was shattered, though—but I liked the flashback so much that it doesn’t matter.

Rating – 4.5 out of 5

sahugani
March 25, 2007, 03:41 PM
i agree. this chapter was much better than the last one and it seemed to clear up some of the issues we had with Aaronero/Kaien as it related to Rukia's development.

about dance three, while i did like the image of Aaronero impaled, i felt that the attack was kind of weak compared to the first two dances. i mentioned this in my review as well, but i'm hoping that in the future she can use this to create entire swords out of ice and she can join her captain and Shunsui in the dual wielding group

gigantor21
March 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
i agree. this chapter was much better than the last one and it seemed to clear up some of the issues we had with Aaronero/Kaien as it related to Rukia's development.

about dance three, while i did like the image of Aaronero impaled, i felt that the attack was kind of weak compared to the first two dances. i mentioned this in my review as well, but i'm hoping that in the future she can use this to create entire swords out of ice and she can join her captain and Shunsui in the dual wielding group

About Shirafune, I think the fact that it was so small scale meant one of two things:

A) It's a dance made specifically for when her sword breaks, which allows her to either keep fighting or (in this case) make a suprise come back.

B) It's an undeveloped version of what you described.

To be honest, I'm glad that there are dances that can be used with more versatility than the other two, which (as shown against Grimmjow) aren't completely effective because of the lack of variation in how you can use them. It's a refreshing change from the super-exaggarated kinethetics so common in Bleach--and, as you said, it can be developed further.

dfcarolinaguy
March 25, 2007, 05:47 PM
great review gigantor.

gigantor21
March 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
great review gigantor.

Thanks be to ye.

Quartz-pebble
March 25, 2007, 10:07 PM
I’m also glad that Rukia was able to see that A’Roniro isn’t Kaien, since I was really worried that she wouldn’t be able to (as I so bitterly lamented last week). I’m not sure how I feel about Rukia conveniently remembering the week after her will was shattered, though—but I liked the flashback so much that it doesn’t matter.

Agreed. We really got a reversal of fortune here, with all of the potential lost last week instantly redeemed by Rukia waking the fuck up. While she was at the lowest mental state possible, if she lives (which is likely), I think she's going to get over this.

Of course, if A'Roniro -is- mortally wounded, could he not use Metastacia's ability to fuse with the closest spiritual body?

Great review, btw.

gigantor21
March 26, 2007, 06:58 AM
Agreed. We really got a reversal of fortune here, with all of the potential lost last week instantly redeemed by Rukia waking the fuck up. While she was at the lowest mental state possible, if she lives (which is likely), I think she's going to get over this.

Of course, if A'Roniro -is- mortally wounded, could he not use Metastacia's ability to fuse with the closest spiritual body?

Great review, btw.

Hmm...I never actually considered Rukia being absorbed by A'Roniro, to be honest. There's no way in hell Kubo would let that happen.

As to Rukia getting over her guilt, I really hope so. At this point, there's really no point to her dragging it behind her all the time, story-wise. Plus, I don't want her to keep feeling guilty about Kaien if A'Roniro survives, somehow.

Quartz-pebble
March 26, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hmm...I never actually considered Rukia being absorbed by A'Roniro, to be honest. There's no way in hell Kubo would let that happen.

Well, that's a given. :P

I doubt either of them are finished, however.

gigantor21
March 27, 2007, 05:57 AM
Well, that's a given. :P

I doubt either of them are finished, however.

Yeah, probably not. After all that emotional buildup, it'd be a waste to kill A'Roniro off, now.