PDA

View Full Version : Bleach 269 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
March 30, 2007, 08:26 PM
(Two more Espada named in one week? Oh, fuck yeah!)

269. The End Is Near

Overall, I thought that this was a really good chapter. But my feelings are kind of mixed.

We started out getting confirmation of A’Roniro’s death, which is the main source of my ambivalence. On one hand, we finally got to see Rukia kick a major opponent’s ass AND reconcile her feelings about Kaien, which kicks some serious ass in and of itself. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem likely that she’s going to get any more big fights until after the Winter War is over. And if the Royal Key arc is the last in the series (which I predict will be the case), we may have just read Rukia’s first and last big fight ever.

Personally, I can’t say I’m surprised, since Rukia was barely able to eke out a win against the 9th Espada. Since there’s no way in hell that she’s getting Bankai, no matter how many times people say she will, I don’t see her contributing much more to the War from a combat perspective. If she does heal up in time to help with the War, I doubt it’ll be more than a support role in Karakura—Aizen is only going to bring the best with him to the Royal Palace, and I’m sure he’ll find a way to get there.

So we got the names of HAG/Gangurou and Sleepy Bear, which was nice—and a few new Arrancar (Lilinet, Lumina and Belona). So apparently, the Espada get their own personal attendants, which suggests that they’ll become opponents for the weaker characters during the War. Maybe Rukia can fight one of them, along with Chad, Ishida, and the other Captains. They all need to do something during the war, after all.

Reiterating what I said in the Spoiler Discussion thread, there’s no way that Ichigo can fight Ulquiorra if they do clash swords (as if Ulquiorra even needs his). If they do fight, it’ll only show how much more Ichigo needs to grow to take on the higher ranked Espada, and Aizen. There a chance for a Zaraki-style power up here—but even if he gets it now, Ichigo will still need another one to fight Aizen. It wouldn’t make sense for Ichigo to grow enough to take on Ulquiorra now.

Rating – 4 out of 5 (Very Good)

Despite it seeming as though Rukia won’t be a big part of the story after this, I still thought this was a really good chapter. I’m really looking forward to seeing what’ll happen next week.

Quartz-pebble
March 30, 2007, 09:28 PM
Good review. I'm sad to see A'ronero die so soon, but if he didn't, Rukia's win wouldn't have meant as much. He died a rather sad death as well, further proving that even the Espada are mere pawns to Aizen. On the topic of the Espada, I'm believing more and more that each likely has a squad to control.

My predictions for the future: Ichigo and Ulquiora conversing in between Renji and Apollo's fight....for at least two chapters.

I wonder who the new No.9 will be. :P

Silhouette
March 30, 2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the review gigantor21 ^^

I'm glad too to know the names of two espadas but too be honest I am also used to sleepy bear and HAG...it just feels weird -to me- to call them by anything else other than that :P

May be I am reading too much into the story but looking at the esapdas' ranks and their servants, we find that Noitora, Halibel and Strak's servants are more human-like while Zaer's are not. So I assume that the higher the rank of the espada the more powerful his/her servants are....but again that's just me reading too much into the story >.>

sahugani
March 30, 2007, 10:25 PM
nice review man

about Rukia, i agree even though it is sad. I can't see Rukia getting bankai and the only reason she was able to win this fight was due to luck and the deep emotional aspect of the fight. She won't really be able to help much in the war so i can't really imagine what role she could play other than bodyguard to the town.

That does kinda work with my theory for Aizen's crew in the next arc. i think he will only have Gin, Ulquiorra and maybe a couple other Espada with him, so the number of clashes will be more limited and Ichigo's group will be more selective as well.

I also liked the naming of a couple Espada and introduction of a few subordinates (and i agree with Silhouette that Sleepy Bear just fits him better). I kinda saw it like captain/vice-captain pairings as Noitora and Stark's subordinates seem to compliment them the same way as the captains/vice-captains in SS. As of now, i can't really see them having major fights as it would seem pathetic compared to Espada fights

Ulquiorra would still destroy Ichigo in a fight right now as you said. However, i doubt that fight will happen as Kubo still has alot to milk out of Ulquiorra. I think his appearance will be short and he will walk away possibly as Grimmjow interrupts them

alot of what i said is reiterrated from my review

gigantor21
March 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
Ha ha ha! Sleepy Bear, for the WIN!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Quartz-Pebble - Your prediction sounds like the most plausible, to me. As to what will happen after Renji's fight, I can't call it at all. This has been such a mentally and emotionally winding 2 months in Bleach, and we've all been off several times every week. So I'm not even going to bother.

Silhouette - You do know that I was the one who came up with "Sleepy Bear", right? It was me! Check out this quote from the "Espada Rank Predictions" thread;

05. The Narcoleptic (aka Sleepy Bear) - This is mostly because it'd throw us for a loop, like a less extreme but similar case to Yachiru.

In regards to the servants, I think that actually makes sense. Granted, we only have Ishida's testimony in 242 about Arrancar forms to go by, but still...

Sahugani - I think that Kubo could pull off a breif exchange between them, in which Ichigo charges at Ulquiorra with the mask on and he blocks it rather effortlessly before smacking him like his bitch. That'd be more than enough to show who has the privilege to be cocky right now.

Ichigo needs a moment like that more than anything else, both for his sake and ours (the readers).

Gold Knight
March 30, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I don't know whether Rukia will ever achieve Ban Kai or not, but I wouldn't bet against it. She is one of the main characters of the series, after all, and so far, the star cast has all shown a penchant for gradually improving their abilities. I'm also curious to see what happens to her body after this chapter. Will she once again fall into Aizen's hands or not?

But yeah, all the Espada having their own attendants make sense as far as giving the "weaker " characters of the series something to do - especially the Vice Captains of the Soul Society.

Nice review =)

gigantor21
March 31, 2007, 06:08 AM
Hmm, I don't know whether Rukia will ever achieve Ban Kai or not, but I wouldn't bet against it. She is one of the main characters of the series, after all, and so far, the star cast has all shown a penchant for gradually improving their abilities. I'm also curious to see what happens to her body after this chapter. Will she once again fall into Aizen's hands or not?

But yeah, all the Espada having their own attendants make sense as far as giving the "weaker " characters of the series something to do - especially the Vice Captains of the Soul Society.

Nice review =)

Thanks!

In regards to Rukia getting Bankai, I'm almost 100% positive she won't get it. To me, she represents the more average Shinigami in Soul Society--she has to rely on her talents more than all the fun stuff people with Captain-level Reiatsu and above can do. That wasn't exemplified any better than in her fight with A'Roniro, where she had to use all 3 dances, several Kidou, and some deft strategy to kill the bastard. And it wasn't exactly a clean win, either.

Giving Rukia Bankai would diminish her character.

nell
March 31, 2007, 07:01 AM
Good reiew, though there are some points that I disagree but it depends most of interpretation more than solid facts so I don't bring them up but I just wanted to say that I don't think this was the Rukia's final major battle. I do think that her ultimate fight will be against Gin, based on two points: 1st: Second main villain, second main character, simple logic. 2nd and more importantly, they have personal issues with each other that usually leads to an ultimate fight. Rukia hates Gin, Gin loves torturing Rukia so much for some reason which is yet to be explained.

gigantor21
March 31, 2007, 07:33 AM
Good reiew, though there are some points that I disagree but it depends most of interpretation more than solid facts so I don't bring them up but I just wanted to say that I don't think this was the Rukia's final major battle. I do think that her ultimate fight will be against Gin, based on two points: 1st: Second main villain, second main character, simple logic. 2nd and more importantly, they have personal issues with each other that usually leads to an ultimate fight. Rukia hates Gin, Gin loves torturing Rukia so much for some reason which is yet to be explained.

Well, if you don't agree with something, then that's fine. Even if it's on points where I just speculated.

As to Rukia fighting Gin, I seriously doubt it. If Tousen's crippling of Grimmjow indicates anything, the other ex-Captains are at the same level as the upper level Espada, at least. So Rukia beating Gin would be just as likely as her beating Grimmjow or Ulquiorra to me.

nell
March 31, 2007, 11:51 AM
Come to think of it, the thought of Gin vs. Rukia is an extension of the point that I disagree with you, which is about Rukia's bankai. Everything we can say about her obtaining bankai is speculation you are right, but I do think that she will get one. Bleach has a progress of moving forward, they rarely face the enemies of a level that they had beaten before. So I highly doubt the future opponents of Rukia will be any less from #9. And in order to keep up with the level of the enemies, the most logical power up for Rukia is a bankai. The other choice is having more dances which would put her in position like Urahara or Aizen that she can pwn only with her shikai and I think this is more unlikely. But out of these possibilities, the least plausible one is to expect her to take a back seat in the future battles and this is the core of our disagreement.

gigantor21
March 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
in order to keep up with the level of the enemies, the most logical power up for Rukia is a bankai. The other choice is having more dances which would put her in position like Urahara or Aizen that she can pwn only with her shikai and I think this is more unlikely. But out of these possibilities, the least plausible one is to expect her to take a back seat in the future battles and this is the core of our disagreement.

Yeah, you're exactly right about that. A big part of the reason I don't think she'll get Bankai is what I expect her role to be in the story as a whole. If you think she's going to play a bigger role in the series than I do, then there are bound to be disagreements on how much she'll continue to grow.

I'm just glad your being so civil about it, considering how spartan people get about their speculations sometimes.

Anyway, there's certainly a hole in my schema for the rest of Bleach regarding Gin and Tousen. Assuming that they're going to be killed off in their last fights, it makes sense from an personal standpoint that Rukia pay Gin back for all the shit he's put her through. But I stand by my stance that Gin and Tousen are now upper-Espada level--so even if Rukia got Bankai, our experience with newly formed Bankai (like those of Ichigo, Renji, Hitsugaya) shows that they don't work very well against the higher ranked Espada. By that, I mean Grimmjow and anyone ranked above him.

Personally, nothing would make me happier than seeing Rukia beat the shit out of Gin. But it just doesn't seem feasible to me, plot-wise.

nell
April 02, 2007, 03:46 AM
I also have trouble in seeing how Rukia is going to be powerful enough to take Gin down as much as I can't see how Ichigo beating Aizen. Ichigo can have the power of worlds but he definitely needs a boost in his intelligence to beat a mastermind, but no doubt KT will establish a way. I see what you are coming from when you say Rukia will take a back seat and it perfectly makes sense if it is the way KT is going to take, it is like Rukia quitting when she is at her top. However, I believe that the opposite is going to happen, she has just become a full circle(well, currently with three holes ^^'), there hasn't been any better time for her to strengthen her resolve. Additionally, -and this is quite imaginative when we consider the current circumstances- but Rukia reminds me Ichigo in SS arc, she is the most desperate one for saving Orihime. Having flashbacks, being so vocal about saving her... Anyway, we just need to wait but it is so fun trying to predict things, even the success rate is rather disappointing.

I dislike when people act like they are the ones writing the story and their assumptions are solid facts, too. So it was fun to discuss with you.

Jammer
April 02, 2007, 05:58 AM
first 10x for the review ^^

If Tousen's crippling of Grimmjow indicates anything, the other ex-Captains are at the same level as the upper level Espada, at least.

if this assumption is right - then Ichigo should be stronger than the Espada, since he's beaten Zaraki and Zaraki's beaten Tousen. Also Ichigo has similiar fighting style to Zaraki - they both rely on power and endurance. Probably an in-fight power-up for him will prove to be enough to make at least a draw with Ulqiorra ^^

and on the Rukia issue - I don't see why you are writing her off already (well sort of). She actually could have beaten Aro with kidou only. Yet she was unsure at the moment so blew up the wall to see that #9 wasn't Kaien for real. I think her doubts disappeard AFTER she was stabbed with the trident. And saying to the arrancar: "Goodbye, you are going to die" and killing him afterwards doesn't seem lucky at all. I assume she could've killed him from the beginning - only she didn't want to :P
and right now - she reminds of Renji after his fight with Ichigo during SS arc... just before he mastered bankai :rolleye I don't remember how many chapters were there between Renji's defeat and his fight (with Bankai) against Byakuya - but they weren't much. Seeing how many opponents and how many friendlies there are - I suppose Rukia will get another fight - (motivated to win from the start) till the end of the arc ;)

gigantor21
April 02, 2007, 07:00 AM
if this assumption is right - then Ichigo should be stronger than the Espada, since he's beaten Zaraki and Zaraki's beaten Tousen. Also Ichigo has similiar fighting style to Zaraki - they both rely on power and endurance. Probably an in-fight power-up for him will prove to be enough to make at least a draw with Ulqiorra ^^

Well, that's part of my theory about this arc, actually. I think that Aizen, Gin and Tousen have all used the Hougyoku on themselves--otherwise, Tousen would have no way in hell of cutting through Grimmjow's "Hierro" and destroying his arm like it was nothing. It just wouldn't make sense for him to reach that level so quickly after getting his ass kicked by Zaraki. And as you said, if Tousen was that strong, then Ichigo should be stronger than the Espada. So it wouldn't make any sense for him to lose to Grimmjow, who's only ranked 6th.

toyin
April 02, 2007, 12:21 PM
What is this rukia and not attaining bankai crap? Rukia has to attain bankai because even those espada servants can't be beaten with some couple of dances from her shikia ( if up to 250) , basically there is a trainng going on in ss and do we think the vice captains wouldn't be involved(not facing any espada probably), because Aizen is not coming only with espada,gin and tousen like he said "when we gather up the vastrode and have perfected the espada anything that stands in our way will cease to exist" so the captains cann't do all this by themselves or even ichigo so the vice cap's have to attain bankai even if it may devalue it.........
At least even if renji claims he has being trying to attain bankai since he finally did it under some couple of many hours.(correct me if i'm wrong)

So if we all say Rukia won't attain bankai than we should expect kido #99 (blue crash down) or something from her..

gigantor21
April 02, 2007, 04:01 PM
What is this rukia and not attaining bankai crap? Rukia has to attain bankai because even those espada servants can't be beaten with some couple of dances from her shikia ( if up to 250) , basically there is a trainng going on in ss and do we think the vice captains wouldn't be involved(not facing any espada probably), because Aizen is not coming only with espada,gin and tousen like he said "when we gather up the vastrode and have perfected the espada anything that stands in our way will cease to exist" so the captains cann't do all this by themselves or even ichigo so the vice cap's have to attain bankai even if it may devalue it.........
At least even if renji claims he has being trying to attain bankai since he finally did it under some couple of many hours.(correct me if i'm wrong)

So if we all say Rukia won't attain bankai than we should expect kido #99 (blue crash down) or something from her..

Well, that's just it. I've always been iffy about Renji having Bankai, and I fucking hate Ikkaku having it. Why? Because Bankai is the only main requirement we know of to become a captain.

I can accept it with Renji since he's talented for a vice-captain, but Ikkaku's a third-seat. Kubo could've only given him Bankai as a quick fix against Eduardo to rally the fans, especially since he doesn't use it around other Shinigami. Chappy said Rukia was good enough to become "a seated officer"; if she was vice-captain material, Kubo would've said so. Plus, we haven't seen anyone on Ichigo's side that can take a higher-ranked Espada with Bankai alone. Sure, Hitsugaya dealt a serious blow to Luppi--but seeing how easily Grimmjow killed him proved that he didn't deserve the rank.

So, as I've said before, Rukia getting Bankai wouldn't help against the stronger Espada. And there's no point in giving her Bankai just to fight cannon fodder like the attendants; they're only around for the weaker characters' sakes, anyway. If it was for a fight with the emotional weight of Renji vs. Byakuya, then I could understand, but for the Hueco Mundo rank-and-file?

I don't see what's wrong with her beating an attendant with Shikai, if she could beat A'Roniro.

toyin
April 03, 2007, 09:29 AM
Kubo just used an emotional match to cover up the defeat of A'roniro (we all know a standard shinigami with a shikia couldn't have beaten him)

but that not the issue if ichigo had to go all bankai and hollow to beat the fallen espada guy.... i think rukia can't just sit there with her shikia and fill comfortable.(those servants could be compared to those fallen espada's too like "tesla")

therefore, Does servants or any one below the espada that will have a part to play in the war or whatever that may come up should not be taken lightly, and with rukia in her current level has no brighter future if she doesn't advance

gigantor21
April 05, 2007, 08:51 AM
Kubo just used an emotional match to cover up the defeat of A'roniro (we all know a standard shinigami with a shikia couldn't have beaten him)

but that not the issue if ichigo had to go all bankai and hollow to beat the fallen espada guy.... i think rukia can't just sit there with her shikia and fill comfortable.(those servants could be compared to those fallen espada's too like "tesla")

therefore, Does servants or any one below the espada that will have a part to play in the war or whatever that may come up should not be taken lightly, and with rukia in her current level has no brighter future if she doesn't advance

That's the problem--A'Roniro was the best opponent that Rukia could attain Bankai against without it feeling like a cop-out, due to his rank and the emotional backdrop of the fight itself. Even then, I'd still think it was a cop-out, because Kubo never made any indication that Rukia was close to attaining Bankai.

Unlike Ichigo and Renji, we never saw Rukia materialize her Zanpakuto or enter their inner realm. So there was never any evidence that she was strong enough to attain Bankai. That's what pisses me off about Ikkaku having it--and the fact that his Bankai is so basic, when I like him for his cerebral fighting style, makes it that much worse.

I don't want to see the same thing happen to another one of my favorite characters.

Jammer
April 06, 2007, 02:31 AM
A'Roniro was the most viable opponent with which Rukia could attain Bankai without it feeling like a cop-out, due to the emotional backdrop of the fight itself and the fact that he was an Espada.

I totally agree here
althou...
I keep associating Rukia-Aro with the Renji-Ichigo fight(don't know why really >.<). And Renji's zanpaktou materialized while he was recovering after the fight - and told him something like: I am ready. And you? So Rukia not able to materialize her zanpaktou now isn't so restricting - it might just happen in a couple of chapters XD
but...
unlike her, both Renji and Ikkaku are looking up to their respective captains - they want to get stronger in order to surpass them. That's why for them gaining bankai was more reasonable. Renji is shinigami for about 50 years - so 50 years seem to be enough for a bankai - Ikkaku is probably older - but how much older? When he met with Urahara I don't think he recognised him as an ex-captain - and Urahara is banned from SS for 100 years or more (I hope my memory doesn't fail me with this one).

the thing that amazes me is that there aren't more shinigami that can use bankai - it's not a captain reserved skill only - it's just the natural evolution for a shinigami power-wise. Byakuya is captain for about 50 years and he was telling Renji that he had mastered his bankai for 100 years - so he knew it 50 years before getting the captain position. And bankai is prerequisite for becoming captain - so its only natural for more shinigami to know it, althou really Ikkaku's backstory was rushed in in the story

PS.(what amazes me even more is the way I keep writing without saying nothing in particular >___<)