PDA

View Full Version : Bleach 272 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
April 22, 2007, 11:48 AM
272. Don’t Kill My Volupture

Despite feeling mostly transitional, this was a pretty good chapter.

Obviously, the first point of interest was the reiatsu surrounding Ichigo after Ulquiorra left. As I’ve said before, it’d be boring if we got another visit from Hollow Ichigo or Zangetsu, regardless of how much I’d like to see them. But if Hollow Ichigo does come out, then he should still lose to Ulquiorra. That way, Kubo won’t be able to use him as a deus-ex plot crutch, it’ll shatter his aura of invincibility, and it’ll prove that Ichigo has to synchronize with his Hollow if he really wants to get stronger.

Next, we had the revelation of the “Flaccion”, or the Seated Officers of the Espada. But what’s the point? The Espada shouldn’t need personal attendants for anything in the first place. It looks like they were basically thrown in to give the weaker characters opponents during the War. I wonder if they’re ranked?

Personally, I was disappointed that we didn’t get to see Renji fight at full power, or at least fight to a conclusion. At this point, I sincerely doubt that either Renji or Ishida are going to win, since we still haven’t seen Zaeruapollo release AND he’s not fighting alone anymore. So I expect that we won’t see a full-fledged fight until the Winter War.

But the last part of the chapter was the most striking one, by far. I totally didn’t see that coming, especially from such seemingly unimportant characters. But it was a nice move by Kubo to get Grimmjow involved in the arc, and a chance to save face after Aizen shitted on his existence. So if I don’t see some dismemberment in Orihime’s room next chapter, I’m going to be pissed.

Rating – 4 out of 5 (Very Good)

Gold Knight
April 22, 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for writing down a review as always, Gig.

I really don't have much to say, but I'm liking the way it's going so far. Mostly. I was seriously put off by the fact that we're going to end up seeing Ishida have to fight another "mad scientist" though - but Renji was probably licked anyway, since Zaeruapollo knew all his tricks. I think he'll redeem himself later on against a different Espada. If that's going to be the case, I'm fine with it.

But I do think Zaeruapollo is going down - Hitsugaya managed to beat a No. 6 in Luppi, Ichigo was the reason Yami went down from No. 7 to No. 10, and Rukia beat a No. 9. I think Ishida is going to provide enough surprises that Zaeruapollo can't properly prepare himself against them, and I think he's going down, just 'cause he's a No. 8.

I liked the chapter overall. Grimmjow's appearance at the end of the chapter certainly made me wonder what he's going to do next. If he's gonna attack the girls though, I bet you that Orihime will try to save 'em somehow though. "Don't! They were just trying to stop me from escaping" or some BS like that, just 'cause she's Orihime.

P.S. By the way, Gig, your Imageshack sig image's down.

gigantor21
April 22, 2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks for writing down a review as always, Gig.

I really don't have much to say, but I'm liking the way it's going so far. Mostly. I was seriously put off by the fact that we're going to end up seeing Ishida have to fight another "mad scientist" though - but Renji was probably licked anyway, since Zaeruapollo knew all his tricks. I think he'll redeem himself later on against a different Espada. If that's going to be the case, I'm fine with it.

But I do think Zaeruapollo is going down - Hitsugaya managed to beat a No. 6 in Luppi, Ichigo was the reason Yami went down from No. 7 to No. 10, and Rukia beat a No. 9. I think Ishida is going to provide enough surprises that Zaeruapollo can't properly prepare himself against them, and I think he's going down, just 'cause he's a No. 8.

I liked the chapter overall. Grimmjow's appearance at the end of the chapter certainly made me wonder what he's going to do next. If he's gonna attack the girls though, I bet you that Orihime will try to save 'em somehow though. "Don't! They were just trying to stop me from escaping" or some BS like that, just 'cause she's Orihime.

P.S. By the way, Gig, your Imageshack sig image's down.

It's down!? But I can see it just fine....

And I had no idea that Yamii used to be ranked 7th. Where'd you hear that?

Anyway, I don't think Orihime's gonna have the time. If Luppi's any indication, Grimmjow is swift and efficient at laying down the street justice. In regards to Ishida, I agree with Sahugani--his fight with Mayuri was his biggest and most important of the entire series. It'll take a hell of a lot for a fight with an Espada to top that, in terms of both the action and the emotional backdrop. It's highly doubtful that a match with Zaeruapollo would even match it on either count.

Gold Knight
April 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
It's your cache. Trust me, I see a "This image removed due to high-bandwidth usage" image right now.

And I really need to be more careful, I theorized Yami was a no. 7 before he dropped to No. 10 and somewhere along the way while reading Bleach I must have started believing in it as a fact. Oops. But anyway, he was still a little highly ranked, we know that much, you get the point. I think Tite Kubo is getting rid of all the bottom feeders of the Espada right now, and saving the higher-ups for a later story arc.

I was thinking Orihime could use that trick of hers to "resurrect" the girls, y'know? As for Ishida's battle against Zaeruapollo, as Sahugani said, it might be a team-up this time around so it might be different.

Quartz-pebble
April 22, 2007, 07:35 PM
Not much to say about this one. Every's still pretty screwed, lol. I doubt Ishida will do much to Apollo, but we'll see. I also liked how the people who thought the Espada had one servant, and those who thought otherwise (like me) turned out to be -both- right. Kinda, anyway.

gigantor21
April 23, 2007, 08:00 AM
It's your cache. Trust me, I see a "This image removed due to high-bandwidth usage" image right now.

And I really need to be more careful, I theorized Yami was a no. 7 before he dropped to No. 10 and somewhere along the way while reading Bleach I must have started believing in it as a fact. Oops. But anyway, he was still a little highly ranked, we know that much, you get the point. I think Tite Kubo is getting rid of all the bottom feeders of the Espada right now, and saving the higher-ups for a later story arc.

I was thinking Orihime could use that trick of hers to "resurrect" the girls, y'know? As for Ishida's battle against Zaeruapollo, as Sahugani said, it might be a team-up this time around so it might be different.

Alright, about Orihime's power; if she can use it to ressurrect people, then the story will be a step away from becoming DBZ. All the tension will disappear if she can just bring people back to life. Not to mention the fact that people could become kickass shinigami if they die in the real world, though I don't think Kubo will use that as a way of bringing them back. But yeah, I do not want her powers to be that strong.

For the rest of the series, I predict that there are only, like, 2 or 3 big arcs after this; The Winter War Arc, the Royal Palace arc, and maybe a Gaiden-type filler arc describing Urahara and Co.' pasts which could be right after the current arc ends. I only throw that out there because I still think Kubo had Orihime kidnapped this early due to lack of material.

But, I digress. I agree that the highest ranked Espada probably won't come into play until much later, since we don't even know who they are yet.

Gold Knight
April 24, 2007, 08:14 PM
I think Aizen has already implied that her powers MIGHT be that strong though... it's basically like Superman going up into space and moving Earth backwards in time by flying around it right now =p Plus, if Orihime can already bring Grimmjow's arm back like it was never severed and burnt to ashes, I can see her bringing back somebody back from death.

gigantor21
April 25, 2007, 01:54 PM
I think Aizen has already implied that her powers MIGHT be that strong though... it's basically like Superman going up into space and moving Earth backwards in time by flying around it right now =p Plus, if Orihime can already bring Grimmjow's arm back like it was never severed and burnt to ashes, I can see her bringing back somebody back from death.

Even so, I don't think Kubo would do that much with it. Considering how no one popular/important dies, I'm sure that Kubo will keep them dead once it stars happening during the war. Orihime bringing them back would counterbalance any dramatic weight the death would have, and make it too DBZ-ish.