PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for and against Brook joining the crew

Crenzel
April 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
Since everyone and their mothers are arguing about whether Brook will join the crew, I thought I'd compile those arguments for and against Brook joining the crew.

Maybe this will help us make up our minds.

This will be made up with help of the community's posts from various threads (and also a few of my own) :) to get an understanding of what everyone else is thinking.

Reasons for Brook to join the crew (these are logical reasons that are appropriate for the story with no bias):

- He's a musician. As Luffy has said throughout the entire series, he wants a musician in
his crew.

- Luffy has already asked him to join his crew. Brook refuses because he is unable to go
into direct sunlight. It would seem that if that weren't the case, he would join.
Remember, once Luffy decides on something, he gets it.

- He blends in perfectly with the rest of the freakshow crew. Let's see, they have a cyborg,
a reindeer, a woman who can grow more limbs, a captain made of rubber?? Why not
throw a skeleton in the mix?

- He's a skilled fighter.

- He is a pervert. This gives Oda the option of a run-on gag with Sanji getting angry at
Brook whenever he does/says something perverted to Nami or Robin. Would be amusing.

- He does not have a goal that conflicts with any of the crew members' goals.

Reasons against Brook joining the crew:

- He is also a swordsman. A lot of people have been arguing this saying that it doesn't
matter. This is merely one of the possible reasons why he shouldn't join. The two
swordsmen will make each other less unique. This one reason can outweigh many of the
"for" reasons.

- It will too predictable if he does join. Oda is all for unpredictability as we've seen.
E.g. Franky joining the crew, nobody could forsee that, everyone even hated him.

-
Luffy has wanted a musician for so long, but its just one of those baseless wishes that never actually get granted till the end if at all. In that light, Oda would not seriously give in to Luffy as it would effectively kill the possibility of Oda bringing that joke back later on. plus, the problem with having a nakama whose actual job is musician is that it would not be very noticable in the manga format.

-
1. The crew just got Franky, whose recruitment took so much development that a quick recruitment directly afterwards would somewhat cheapen the meaning of Franky joining
2. Each time a member of the crew has been recruited, there was a specific need in the story beforehand set by the crew’s need for a specific job or the necessity for a character type in the story. Luffy (main character), Zoro (Luffy needed a serious character to contrast him), Nami (needed a navigator to actually get to new locations and an authoritative brain), Usopp (needed a strong and consistent comic relief), Sanji (needed a cook and a womanizer), Chopper (needed a doctor and an innocent kid), Robin (needed a woman to fill the hole Vivi left), Franky (needed a shipwright and an over the top character)...there is no reason for Brooke to join
3. Unlike Chopper and Franky, who can go about town without attracting too much attention, Brooke would cause a huge stir no matter where he went so it would get repetitive for the same events to occur at every island they come to

I think this is all I can dig up from the forum and my head lol. Please if anyone thinks of anything to add to this, that'll be awesome. I've probably missed a lot of stuff ><

Thread re-opened.

The subject of this thread is strongly connected to the latest chapters, for this reason please make attention not to violate these rules:

NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. This rule will be strictly enforced. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

<It isn't allowed either talking or reporting or making references or implying facts regarding the last released chapter outside his proper "discussion thread" and "predictions thread" until the week-end passed. Even with the use of "spoiler tag" it will be considered a violation of this rule.>

Break of this rule will result in:
- a warning the first time;
- a banning the second time, whose duration will be in relation to the gravity of the offense;

The discussion thread for the latest chapter is in the "One Piece Discussions" (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0) Board, under the Child Boards you'll find two sticky thread: the "discussion thread" for the latest chapter and the "predictions" thread for the next chapter.

The reason of this rule is to avoid spoiling people who didn't read the last released chapter immediately.

Luckas
May 02, 2007, 05:38 AM
I like very much Brooke and I hope he will join the strawhats. But if he is a swordsman as Zoro, I fear that it will be very difficult. However reading the excellent OP review (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12292) by sahugani I thought that maybe the true swordsman isn't Brooke, but he gained his swordsmanship by the person whom his shadow was attached. Obviously this is only a wild thought :)

mars0103
May 02, 2007, 09:52 AM
He is a skilled and famous swords man by the sounds of it this will give the strawhats an advantage over a lot of crews evens the strong warlords (thats happening now).

Crenzel
May 02, 2007, 05:10 PM
Ah Luckas, sahugani provides some evidence against that theory of yours hehe
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=380280#post380280

But that was a very cool thought :)

sahugani has also stated another reason why Brook can't join

Luffy has wanted a musician for so long, but its just one of those baseless wishes that never actually get granted till the end if at all. In that light, Oda would not seriously give in to Luffy as it would effectively kill the possibility of Oda bringing that joke back later on. plus, the problem with having a nakama whose actual job is musician is that it would not be very noticable in the manga format.

I absolutely agree with that statement. As expected from sahugani ^_^

sahugani
May 02, 2007, 05:31 PM
i love Brooke as much as anybody and while he does bear many of the traits that are befitting of a strawhat, i just don't see his recruitment happening. As it has been already mentioned, my latest chapter review has my points against recruitment already listed, so go over and take a look.

while this has been one of the theories i have held longest and been most confident in, don't take it as a certainty. Im sure if Oda does decide to somehow include him, he will use some creative method that defies my reasoning and it will be great. if you were around and remember me from the chapters before Ace and Blackbeard's duel, you'll know that i have been proven wrong by Oda before:sweat .

and sorry Luckas, but while your theory sounds good there are two flaws. First of all, it does nothing to negate the fact that Brooke is a swordsman now even if he was not one before, so the conflict still stands. Secondly, he was infamous as the Humming Swordsman from the last time he came to the island, so he obviously had his skills before. i think i had a couple smaller ones mentioned when i replied in the review thread, but those are the big two.

Anti-panda
May 03, 2007, 10:48 PM
Brooke seems more like the Steal your panties kinda pervert instead of the luv struck ... womanizing idiot like sanji.
He uses a sword but isnot a swordsman per say ...
I personally don't see a huge problem with him joining the strawhats.
Plus I trust oda because I know he'll work things out so that we wind up loving brooke for reasons different from any of the other strawhats.
Plus Franky's a bit of a pervert too. In a way different from either brooke or sanji.

There are many perverts in the world. And like snowflakes no two are the same.

JC123
May 04, 2007, 09:25 AM
I don't see Brooke as a permanent attachment. I could see Franky over Paulie simply because of his need to fight for Tom. Brooke kind of seems like a temp member like Vivi. Maybe until Zoro learns something new, but the singing musician role I would like to see filled with something that's main weapon IS a gitern or something.

Crenzel
May 04, 2007, 10:01 PM
I would actually like to see Brook teach Zoro that technique he used. Kinda like aiding Zoro get closer to his goal by contributing to his arsenal. And with that he takes his leave

IgnorantSage
May 05, 2007, 02:56 AM
This might be a little off but I remembered that every Mugiwara has a chibi version.

It would be difficult to accurately depict Brooke as a chibi since he became a skeleton only during his adulthood. He would be a kid with afro but then the fact that he wouldn't be a skeleton in his chibi version would mean that the important feature of him (that he is a skeleton) would not be reflected.

This could mean that he might not become a Mugiwara after all.

I know that the premise is a little outrageous but I feel that no chibi brooke = no mugiwara brooke.

It might turn out that brooke will play even less role than Vivi since even Vivi had a chibi version.

I would love it if he becomes one though.

Paz42
May 05, 2007, 06:16 AM
id really like for brooke to join the crew hes a really interesting charcter hes supposedly a muscian and seems to a be relativly powerful fighter the fact that hes light means he can move ridiculously fast so meaning when he was a normal human must have has some relative speed. and whats more which has already been said but hes a misfit hed fit so well with the group i mean look at it this way weve go t a rubber man, a swordsman who uses three swords, a cook who uses his feet to fight and is a pervert who will do anythin for a woman, an archeologist with many hands kinda, a reindeer doctor, a money obssesed navigator, a Cyborg come on a cyborg there cant be many of them in the world lol . so a singing sword using gentleman(yeah right) skeleton is going to fit right in.

Plus id really like to see how people in towns and stuff deal with brooke and how they are going to try and get him to disguise himself or what ever i think it could be quite interesting lol

And i could forsee some frustration by him from the other crew memembers like zoro challenging him to a battle but not being able to beat him sanji being annoyed by his perverted nature and so on

so in short i want brooke in the crew hehe

Megadoomer
May 06, 2007, 08:28 AM
- He is also a swordsman. A lot of people have been arguing this saying that it doesn't
matter. This is merely one of the possible reasons why he shouldn't join. The two
swordsmen will make each other less unique. This one reason can outweigh many of the
"for" reasons.

Their styles are completely different (Zoro is more focused towards power and he uses three katanas. Brook seems to use speed more than power and he uses a cane-sword.)

1. The crew just got Franky, whose recruitment took so much development that a quick recruitment directly afterwards would somewhat cheapen the meaning of Franky joining

Usopp didn't really get a chance to do anything, but Sanji joined the very next arc after Usopp.

As you can tell by the fact that I'm trying to find flaws in the 'Against' points, I really want Brook to join.

Xarcer
May 07, 2007, 12:16 PM
brook is cool and all.. but how will he walk in the streets:blink therefore i belive he wont be able to join the crew (besides zoro is too cool to have a singing skeleton as a rival :mad !!)

ubo
May 12, 2007, 12:47 AM
Ah Luckas, sahugani provides some evidence against that theory of yours hehe
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=380280#post380280

But that was a very cool thought :)

sahugani has also stated another reason why Brook can't join

I absolutely agree with that statement. As expected from sahugani ^_^

Completely disagree. First, not having a character join for the sake of a single joke is ridiculous. Also, entire mangas are written about musicians, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

The only real reason I see against Brook joining is that he's a swordsman, but even then, he doesn't use the same amount of swords, so it's not exactly the same.

6thangel
May 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
I think he will join but there is one thing that makes me wonder.

Everyone in the crew except Robin has a giant overarching dream. All blue, pirate king, map of the world, greatest swordsman, and be a panacea. Although we don't know much about Brook so it is a strong possibility that he could have some huge dream like "to look at the panties of all the women in the world" and join the crew for that. Since Robin seems to not have a giant dream it means that Brook doesn't necessarily have to have one either.

mugen
May 12, 2007, 06:58 PM
uuum...
I believe he might join...
if he can get some flesh on his body.....
I mean he did say that he hadn't eat in ages...
so he might possibly get some human-type resemblance
but at the same type he looks like he might not want to join...
but then again Eiichiro has spent a bit on Brooke and he's got nothing better to do...
so possibly might join...
either way he's cool :jbya
and he also doesn't have a dream or at least hasn't revealed one so possibly he might or might not join...
but Eiichiro did kinda foreshadow a musician....
and Franky really only plays for himself :noworry

Anti-panda
May 12, 2007, 07:24 PM
I think he will join but there is one thing that makes me wonder.

Everyone in the crew except Robin has a giant overarching dream. All blue, pirate king, map of the world, greatest swordsman, and be a panacea. Although we don't know much about Brook so it is a strong possibility that he could have some huge dream like "to look at the panties of all the women in the world" and join the crew for that. Since Robin seems to not have a giant dream it means that Brook doesn't necessarily have to have one either.

OMFG ------ throw rocks at you... not really.

Robin~chwan has possibly the most huge dream of all.

Her dream is to discover the truth behind the poneglyphs and fill the 100 void history. To discover the true history of the world of OP. It is the pursuit of this dream that cost her .. her mother, the entire island and population of Ohara. And it almost cost her her life Twice. Once in Alabasta and again in Enis Lobby. If not for Luffy (And Co.) she would have died both times.
All the strawhat's have dreams ... even the going merry had a dream ... Before her untimley departure from this world.
So if brooke joins .. he will have a dream.
And I bet he'll stay a skeleton. I hope he will. I love the "Bone" jokes.

mugen
May 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
but thats weird....
even for One Piece....and all mugiwaras have a dream before joining....
and don't forget they eventually get their own background story.....

Anti-panda
May 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
I'm thinking while brooke may use a sword ... he may not be that strong.. I don't mean overall i'm talking about lifting kinda strength... He doesn't have any muscles... Litterally ... so while he may use a sword I'm betting his fighting style wont revolve around that as it's main weapon.
He did purify the zombie .. wouldn't it be weird if he was some kind of religious shaman ... alot of people want a religious something or other to join ... wouldn't It be great a religious figure who's a open pervert.
And that's my little theroy.

ubo
May 13, 2007, 03:11 AM
HAHAHA. Great idea. All priests are pretty much closet pervs anyway... just kidding. Maybe.

Yeah, he could easily have a dream that we don't know about.

OP_overlord
May 13, 2007, 12:00 PM
that would be good and if you look at the two swords man zoro is alot stronger and uses that to attack while brook is fast and light and prob uses speed to attack instead
zoro would hit you once in a min and knock you out but brooke would hit you 100 times in a min and knock you out and he is religious which also messes with zoro who doesnt belive in god

so all in all brooke would work well with the crew

and people have some crazy notions that if he joined the crew he couldnt go into town cause he would stand out and cause problems but i think that is good cause the disguise would be mad funny if they make one and also they need some one to gaurd the ship when it is docked and thus brooke has a permint job on the ship and now we wouldnt have to see chopper or ussop cry about being left alone and haveing to fight strong guys.

Xarcer
May 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
still want zoro to be the only swordsman :(

Anti-panda
May 15, 2007, 01:50 PM
Many seriously ... does everyone expect each strawhat to be 100% unique and not have anything in common with thier nakama?
As long as brooke has something that sets him apart from Zoro I don't really have a problem with him using a sword. After all that doesn't make him a swordsman.
Plus there are sooo many things about brooke I like that i think it'd be awsome if he joined up. Plus we haven't really seen what he can do yet so I'll at least hold off my judgement untill I see how oda fleshes (Stupid skeleton pun not intended) out brooke's character a bit.

Paz42
May 15, 2007, 06:38 PM
this is what ive been thinking because imagine if mugiwaras ended up getting some low level canon fodder (god forbid that they do though) im sure alot of them would use swords aswell does that mean that every one of them should be a rival of zoro you know swords are a common weapon not every one can use hand to hand combat i mean both sanji and luffy use unarmed combat doesnt mean there the same does it same could be said about zoro and brooke that is if he joins the crew i guess we shall just have to see

mars0103
May 16, 2007, 02:48 AM
Brooke would make zorro to improve and you cant kill brooke any way i think

Anti-panda
May 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
this is what ive been thinking because imagine if mugiwaras ended up getting some low level canon fodder (god forbid that they do though) im sure alot of them would use swords aswell does that mean that every one of them should be a rival of zoro you know swords are a common weapon not every one can use hand to hand combat i mean both sanji and luffy use unarmed combat doesnt mean there the same does it same could be said about zoro and brooke that is if he joins the crew i guess we shall just have to see

I don't think the mugiwara's will ever get any low level .. or cannon fodder types. That would go against the Whole over all nakama message of one piece. Plus luffy said he wanted a tight small crew of unbelievable people capable of taking on Shanks crew.

I can see brooke fighting .. I think for the most part he'll only use the sword to finish off his opponents ... I don't see oda emphasising the swordsman aspect of brooke considering that would detract from zoro.

Shojin
May 16, 2007, 05:25 PM
I don't think brook should join. They already have swordman in their crew and there is no need for two.

OP_overlord
May 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
two swords that have completely differnet styles dont make the other one weaker if anything they make eachother stand out more and a two on two swordsman battle with the SH and some other strong crew would be amazing

and like Anti Panda said Brooke has other skillz that will be made into his fighting style he is a preist and a musician Oda can think of something (prob more than just a sword fighting style )

and like you said luffy wants a crew that can compete with shanks crew and most everone has a fighter in the opposing side luffy v shanks, yssop v ussop, franky v beckman, ...
but who would lucky roux fight he is the fastes man in the world and brooke could be if he trained and so they need brooke to fight noe of the main shanks guys cause Oda wouldnt make him sit on the side lines watching the fight

Absolutio
May 17, 2007, 06:46 AM
Also, Oda would like to save brooke as a main character, coz he's probably enjoys making the skeleton jokes! :p

Also, don't forget Brooke has a devil fruit, and he might have more abilities than we've seen. (the ability we've seen so far is being dead, and walking :p )

OP_overlord
May 17, 2007, 09:09 PM
and super quick from the lightness but that is kinda like ussop

Anti-panda
May 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
and super quick from the lightness but that is kinda like ussop

LOL Just when we thought no one could be faster than ussop when he's running away, Oda comes in and hits us with a "Bone" //:D Great stuff.
On a whole brooke is such a wonderfull and seemingly complex character .. well he's just fun really ... I love him ... and I could see Oda-san having such fun with him as a character. So I could definitly see him becoming a strawhat kaizoku.

Paz42
May 18, 2007, 06:38 AM
ye there are just so many posobilities for him hes becomming a more interesting charcter as each chapter goes by i dont see why any body wouldnt want him to join the crew im loving his look and style and how he can look completly serious and dark one second and then the next be just looking like a fool and thats awesome i vote brooke becomes a member and ill cry if he doesnt

Absolutio
May 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
He has luffy's dumbness in him. He will be one of those dumbasses who always "Kanpai" for w/e reason with luffy at their lead. :p Brooke will mix great with the strawhats.

I dont think that (most of the) ppl dont want him to join the crew, they just think he wont. =\

Slippers
May 21, 2007, 08:56 AM
I didn't like Brooke at first, but now I think he's really cool, and he knows alot about the ocean, which could help them later on
And he also knows alot about the zombies and gekko moria

ANBU4U
May 21, 2007, 06:22 PM
At this point something drastic would have to happen to prevent his joining.

He said he wanted to join...but just couldnt.

Luffy wants him on the crew and has already decided to beat GM up to make it happen.

Brooke as already formed a strong bond with Robin and Franky with his reason for fighting (likely his dream) I mean...it's sold.

The ONLY issue (as the swordsmanship thing is just foolish) is that the set up seems to be almost TOO obvious...which makes one doubt the facts. But all signs point to yes atm.

OP_overlord
May 21, 2007, 09:44 PM
yeah the some of the things that i have heard as reasons for him not joining the crew have been exposed false by the last episdoe

1. the lack of a dream that would tie into the Sh main goal - Brook has a dream and it will fit into the Sh main goal for sure

2. somebody said that it would be silly for a pirate with no bounty to join a small strong crew like the SH but Brook has a bounty - the reason i know this is because he is alive and his shadow was taken and Gekko and he only takes the shadows of pirates with bounties to make his army stronger and has to thus keep the body of that shadow alive so that the soul/shadow remains in his comand

3. the fact that he is a swordsman will compete with Zoro but what if (and this is just a theory) Brook is not a swordsman, we know that when a shadow/soul is exchanged between the living and the dead the dead gets the powers of the person that gave the shadow to make them a zombie, but what if it works the other way aswell and since brook's shadow was given to a famous master samurai some of his skills got transfered to brooke, and the only reaon for brooke's shadow being taken was because he had a bounty and he was alive (and they just wanted to wake up this ryuma guy) and if this is true and Brook is no swordsman but a musican like he said he hasnt shown us his true fighting potential or powers yet

ANBU4U
May 21, 2007, 10:27 PM
yeah the some of the things that i have heard as reasons for him not joining the crew have been exposed false by the last episdoe

1. the lack of a dream that would tie into the Sh main goal - Brook has a dream and it will fit into the Sh main goal for sure

2. somebody said that it would be silly for a pirate with no bounty to join a small strong crew like the SH but Brook has a bounty - the reason i know this is because he is alive and his shadow was taken and Gekko and he only takes the shadows of pirates with bounties to make his army stronger and has to thus keep the body of that shadow alive so that the soul/shadow remains in his comand

3. the fact that he is a swordsman will compete with Zoro but what if (and this is just a theory) Brook is not a swordsman, we know that when a shadow/soul is exchanged between the living and the dead the dead gets the powers of the person that gave the shadow to make them a zombie, but what if it works the other way aswell and since brook's shadow was given to a famous master samurai some of his skills got transfered to brooke, and the only reaon for brooke's shadow being taken was because he had a bounty and he was alive (and they just wanted to wake up this ryuma guy) and if this is true and Brook is no swordsman but a musican like he said he hasnt shown us his true fighting potential or powers yet

No, brooke himself said to ryuuma "you're my shadow!" accusingly...like it was obsurd he'd be beat again by his own techniques.

On top of that he was reffered to as "the humming swordsman" B4 his shadow was taken.

mugen
May 22, 2007, 08:43 AM
hhm...
perhaps Brooke will join but most likely will not...
I mean Brooke seems kinda strong and seems to have a dream that he can accomplish alone....

Anti-panda
May 22, 2007, 09:23 PM
The only real objection anyone seems to have to brooke joining is.. he uses a sword and/or is a swordsman. Well i've stated that his level of skill and or technique could differ greatly from zoro's .. he is speed, zoro is monstorusly strong... different styles! see???
Well I must admit I didn't like brooke using a sword. But that doesn't mean I don't think he would work as a strawhat... In fact I'm all for it. Just as long as he doesn't come into conflict with zoro on the swordsman thing.

manu
May 22, 2007, 09:43 PM
Well Zoro wants too be the strongest Swordsman "alive"

... bad joke I guess, cause you know Brooke is "dead." Personally I think Oda likes to alternate when people join the crew. First there was Luffy, then Cody but Cody didn't join. Then Zoro and then Nami didn't fully join. Then Usopp joined and then Box Afroman didn't. Followed by Sanji and then Nami again but that was nobody officially new. Then Chopper joined but now Princess of the Sand place. Robin joined at the end and then they went to Skypia and got no teammates. Then Franky joined so I'm guessing no Brooke.

mugen
May 22, 2007, 09:52 PM

... bad joke I guess, cause you know Brooke is "dead." Personally I think Oda likes to alternate when people join the crew. First there was Luffy, then Cody but Cody didn't join. Then Zoro and then Nami didn't fully join. Then Usopp joined and then Box Afroman didn't. Followed by Sanji and then Nami again but that was nobody officially new. Then Chopper joined but now Princess of the Sand place. Robin joined at the end and then they went to Skypia and got no teammates. Then Franky joined so I'm guessing no Brooke.

perhaps ...
what you say is correct and true..
but really Brooke seems more like a hit-man than a swordman...
well in my opinion he does....

OP_overlord
May 22, 2007, 10:06 PM
he is more musician and singer than hit man cause then he would be like robin who during her time with croc was his hitman/ the best he had at killing people

ubo
May 22, 2007, 10:59 PM
Oda also defies other patterns, just when you least expect it. I think Brook will join. He has too much potential as a character to not join. He has comedic potential, story potential, fighting ability, and a personal dream that is still unfulfilled. Name another character with half the depth and potential (that isn't already a member).

yoniekai
May 23, 2007, 01:11 AM
to me brook is gonna rest in peace after this arc, makes sense to me. either way if he becomes a nakama im sure he'll be more recognized as the musician. anyway it sucks if another guy joins the mugiwaras

Anti-panda
May 23, 2007, 11:22 AM
I hope he joins because both he and ussop/sogeking like to sing while they fight.
Dynamic duo anyone?? I think so.

franer
May 24, 2007, 02:59 AM
My personal opinion of why Brooke was introduced in the first place is that he's going to fight Zoro. My reasoning for this is that we already know that Zoro is aiming to become the worlds best swordsman, which would make it impossible for the strawhats to accept another swordsman and since we know for a fact that brooke is insanely strong it would be logical for Oda to introduce him as another mark of Zoros progress. Sort of like how the k9 boss was for Luffy (or whatever the organisation was called, the martial arts master of the "save Robin" arch).
The only problem with this theory is that every other "speedbump" in the strawhats progress has been enemies. Except maybe Ace who in fact sort of "limited" Luffys strength by being introduced as the one person Luffy's never won a fight over (well except maybe for luffys insane grandpa). One could argue wether eagle-eye could be counted as an enemy aswell, but since Oda never really developed a connection between the mugiwaras and eagle-eye i guess we could count him as an enemy, or a rival of Zoro.

ANBU4U
May 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
hhm...
perhaps Brooke will join but most likely will not...
I mean Brooke seems kinda strong and seems to have a dream that he can accomplish alone....

So? Zorro needs the Strawhats to become the greatest swordsman ever?

mugen
May 24, 2007, 09:15 PM
So? Zorro needs the Strawhats to become the greatest swordsman ever?
no but he got forced to join by Luffy :p
and besides he did say he would abandon the mugiwaras if tehy got in the way of his dream :noworry
maybe Luffy will force Brooke into joining as well.....

ANBU4U
May 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
The only real objection anyone seems to have to brooke joining is.. he uses a sword and/or is a swordsman. Well i've stated that his level of skill and or technique could differ greatly from zoro's .. he is speed, zoro is monstorusly strong... different styles! see???
Well I must admit I didn't like brooke using a sword. But that doesn't mean I don't think he would work as a strawhat... In fact I'm all for it. Just as long as he doesn't come into conflict with zoro on the swordsman thing.

Doesnt matter, Just because you have a sword doesnt mean you have to exclusively fight other swordsman. Case and point all the men that have pulled a sword on Luffy. Brooke only becomes a problem to Zorro if he thinks he's better than him, in which case they can settle it like men.
[hr]

With the exception of Vivi those are all very sketchy examples...
[hr]

no but he got forced to join by Luffy :p
and besides he did say he would abandon the mugiwaras if tehy got in the way of his dream :noworry
maybe Luffy will force Brooke into joining as well.....

He's already trying.

mugen
May 24, 2007, 09:19 PM
which won't happen cuz Brooke is a not really a swordsman ..
he's more like hit amn as I said ...
he's stealthy and seems to always examine or know something about his opponents ...
and btw ANBU4U ...
you live kinda close to where I live.....
it's kinda scary.......

ANBU4U
May 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
to me brook is gonna rest in peace after this arc, makes sense to me. either way if he becomes a nakama im sure he'll be more recognized as the musician. anyway it sucks if another guy joins the mugiwaras

Not really. Luffy will need more people if he wants to take out Shank's entire crew. Not to mention Pirates like Ace and Whitebeard.
[hr]

which won't happen cuz Brooke is a not really a swordsman ..
he's more like hit amn as I said ...
he's stealthy and seems to always examine or know something about his opponents ...
and btw ANBU4U ...
you live kinda close to where I live.....
it's kinda scary.......

Specializes in sword techniques doesnt he? I fail to see how that doesnt make him a swordsman. Now he seems to utilize vibration and sound in his techniques...making him a somewhat specialized swordsman...but a swordsman none the less.
[hr]

My personal opinion of why Brooke was introduced in the first place is that he's going to fight Zoro. My reasoning for this is that we already know that Zoro is aiming to become the worlds best swordsman, which would make it impossible for the strawhats to accept another swordsman and since we know for a fact that brooke is insanely strong it would be logical for Oda to introduce him as another mark of Zoros progress. Sort of like how the k9 boss was for Luffy (or whatever the organisation was called, the martial arts master of the "save Robin" arch).
The only problem with this theory is that every other "speedbump" in the strawhats progress has been enemies. Except maybe Ace who in fact sort of "limited" Luffys strength by being introduced as the one person Luffy's never won a fight over (well except maybe for luffys insane grandpa). One could argue wether eagle-eye could be counted as an enemy aswell, but since Oda never really developed a connection between the mugiwaras and eagle-eye i guess we could count him as an enemy, or a rival of Zoro.

I doubt it, Zorro will aim for Mihawk and wait for others to challenge him once he's the best. In the meanwhile he'll remove any swordsman...and anyone...in his way, but he not gonna automatically fight every swordsman he sees...especially not a half-dead ally whos likely half the swordsman he used to be. By that logic if Luffy picks up a sword Zoro will challange him.

Zorro's bushido will be used to settle any conflicts that occur with his goals...like Brooke.

He'll join the crew I'd bet my hat on it. The only reason why he wouldnt that I can forsee, is his death.

...Well RE-Death! Yohohoho! Bone Joke!

Koen
May 25, 2007, 09:24 AM
I don't see any reasons why brook would join the crew. I think they guy wants some events in the right pattern, and he'll be easy and comfortable with that. Luffy asked him, and like the queen of alabasta I think this guy will say no too. Franky just joined, too fast if another joined too

barbapapa
May 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
Brooke has to join; he's by far one of the best characters in the manga yet.

Kikuna992
May 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
Reasons for Brook joining the crew

1. HE'S GOT AN AFRO !!! enough said

Anti-panda
May 25, 2007, 03:11 PM
I don't see why everyone seems to have a BONE to pick with Brooke joining the Mugiwara's! :D

Koen
May 25, 2007, 03:17 PM
I don't see why everyone seems to have a BONE to pick with Brooke joining the Mugiwara's! :D

It seems eveybody loved that guy from the beginning. It's as they could fall in love for him :D

weixiaobao
May 26, 2007, 12:22 AM
i think Brook may not joined if the oda think there would not be a need for another swordman.. however if Brook's abilities beyond sword manship... then .. ..

Anyway.. it not at all too soon for another to joined their crew (in the first five volumes three joined:nami, zoro, and ussop *not sure though*), beside the story is heating up... they need stronger members...

sahugani
May 26, 2007, 02:24 AM
let me restate the fact that i (like many others like me) have no problem with Brooke and would absolutely love having him on the crew, but due to the evidence, don't think it will happen. to me the issue of it being too soon is a huge factor and cannot be countered by the claim that Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji joined quickly. at that very early point in the story, the biggest issue was building up a regular cast that was large enough to create interesting interaction. after they got to the grand line though, it slowed down and nakama came only as needed (a doctor to heal Nami, a woman to replace Vivi, and a shipwright to care for the ship). i can see no reason in the story for Brooke to be recruited. Also, the fact that Brooke is linked in this story to one person (Ryuuma, thus reducing the odds and importance of him fighting anyone else) who he cannot beat (but Zoro can), he can't fill the formula of dueling against a henchman.

Absolutio
May 26, 2007, 05:55 AM
You guys forgot that this haunted island arc is taking place probably after a huge fille episodes that will take place soon enough in the one piece anime, therefore, oda-sensei is fine with making a new member join so fast since it will chronologically be taking place alot of time after franky joined the crew. moreover, we dont know how long this arc will be, so it might not be so "soon" for brooke to join the crew, but in a long time (for us)..

Impel Down
May 26, 2007, 03:31 PM
The only problem I have with Brook joining is that he uses a sword like Zoro. But, they have diffrent styles, so it might still work.

OP_overlord
May 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
i agree that altho brook should not join because he uses a sword like zoro, it is to fast for him to join(i.e. right after franky joined), he cant fight anyone other then himself(Ryuuma), he is not neccessary to the crew at this point,...

i do have to say that he is neccessary for the crew for at least this arc so he will help then purify the rest of the zombies and get out of the fog and then he might leave but i doubt it because
1) he is a fun character and makes good dead jokes, and he can hang out with robin and be a gentalman
2) like weixiaobao and i have said many times before the story is heating up and the enemies are getting stronger and stronger and our beloved small crew needs to get stronger to combat them and another memeber with brookes strenght would help alot(and if they dont get brook to join i would be very surprised if they dont get a new nakama at there nest stop Merman island)
3) last but not least Luffy has always wanted a musician and he should get one before he goes into the new world.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 09:12 AM
So, characters can't join one after another? Let me tell you a little story. It goes like this:
Zoro, then Nami the next arc, then Usopp the next arc, then Sanji the next arc.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 09:27 AM
well, although i'm for brooke joining the crew, the people who aint claim that this thing - the zoro, nami, usopp, sanji; was because they were/are the main crew, so oda wanted to form them together as soon as possible.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 09:27 AM
Eh, I guess so, but shouldn't he also form THE crew before they reach the new world?

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 11:35 AM
I dunno if the crew is that near to the new world, but you do have a point. I dont see a problem with brooke joining the crew after this arc.. I dont think its "soon" or whatever. Oda aint following any kind of "nakama joinment rules".. He just do w/e he feels right.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 11:51 AM
He broke the rule with Robin, but Brook is following it now. And Luffy said he wanted 10 nakama before he entered the GL. He didn't but if Brook joins, then he'll have 10 before he enters the New World.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
how comes 10?
Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brooke. I count her 9.. But if luffy does get near the new world, he does need a bigger crew (he didnt get a big new awesome ship for nothing. There's too much free space there at the moment! he needs to fill it up with some new funky nakama). So maybe brooke WILL join the crew after this arc, and maybe even another guy/girl will join at the next arc. If they really are getting close to the new world.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 12:02 PM
I count Thousand Sunny too. That makes 10.

Anti-panda
May 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
I count Thousand Sunny too. That makes 10.

You forgot Mini-Merry .. jk ....
Point being luffy said he wanted 10 nakama .. before he entered the grandline... now this is luffy were talking about here ... he didn't put any logic behind that number... he just said 10.

The only real objection anyone has to brooke joining is he uses a sword. Oda will take care of that objection ... i've stated before that brooke can't be physically very strong... he doesn't have muscles. ... And so I still say Brooke will join.

Kikuna992
May 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
Each Mugiwara had something preventing him/her from joining the crew (apart from ussop)

Zorro initially refused: something about being a pirate would interfere with his dreams...

Robin was basically forced to join the crew by luffy who saved her life...

Nami didnt want to: already in Arlong Pirates as well as hating pirates...

Franky didnt either: He thought he had to look after Water 7 after he caused Tom's death...

Sanji was reluctant at first...

Chopper thought he was a monster and wasn't man enough...

Vivi and temporary characters did not refuse...

So as Brook refused I think this is a clear sign that he will join the crew.

Impel Down
May 27, 2007, 03:55 PM
Robin actually asked if she could join instead, but Brook initially agreed, showing that getting his shadow back would allow him to join.

Absolutio
May 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
well.. he doesnt have anything better to do than join the crew.. not like he has a ship or anything that he can use to travel to places, he's in a BONEy situation.. so if he survives this arc, he'll probably join the crew.. =P

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 07:31 AM
That's what I'm hoping for. And he should probably reveal more fighting that he does, so he's more than just a swordsman.

Absolutio
May 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
I dont see any need to break a bone over it.. why cant there be any other swordsmen in the SH crew? All there is to it, is to make sure Zoro is stronger than them, so it wont collide with his dream, and if as many think, zoro will fight ryuuma and win, it will fulfill the condition, so brooke would be able to join with no problems.

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 11:21 AM
Or Brook could defeat Ryuuma. I'd like that even more.

Absolutio
May 28, 2007, 01:33 PM
but then brooke will have to fight zoro sometime.. which would be annoying..

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 01:38 PM
But Brook isn't a swordsman, he's a musician. And if Zoro defeats Mihawk, then he'll be the best automatically, so he wouldn't have to fight Brook.

Absolutio
May 28, 2007, 01:59 PM
he's a musician-swordsman... he uses swords to fight, it makes him a swordsman, and he's good at it, which might be troublesome with zoro's dream.

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe Zoro can learn from him...

Absolutio
May 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
i doubt that.. maybe the opposite.. =P

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 02:11 PM
I think it would be cool if Zoro collected sword styles as he got ready to fight Mihawk.

OP_overlord
May 28, 2007, 11:05 PM
zoro makes up his own fighting style and moves the only thing he would learn is that being strong isnt everthing you have to be super fast and smart to win.

yoniekai
May 29, 2007, 04:41 AM
wont it be great if brooke becomes a part of the team? theyd have a near immortal member

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 09:11 AM
Well, he can still die. He just came back to life once, which I guess just means that he's twice as old as a regular person. But, if Brook joins, it would be like the "toping" nakama that Oda keeps having. Robin was the oldest and tallest SH, then Franky was, now Brook will be. Next will probably some 300 year old giant.

mugen
May 29, 2007, 10:30 AM
Brooke will most likely join :noworry
but anyways ...having skeleton will most defiantly be weird...
anybody else think that he can get some meat on his bones?

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
He wears a tux and he has an afro. That's about as much meat as he can put on his bones.

mugen
May 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
He wears a tux and he has an afro. That's about as much meat as he can put on his bones.

but he did say that he hadn't eaten in decades...
don't know if it was a joke or not...but anyways I get a feeling that we will see Brooke with Flesh eventually...

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 11:22 AM
That would take away the majority of his awesomeness! The reason Brook is so cool is because he's a frikkin skeleton!

Anti-panda
May 29, 2007, 12:17 PM
don't know if it was a joke or not...but anyways I get a feeling that we will see Brooke with Flesh eventually...

No I agree we will probably see brooke in the flesh at some point. In a flash back. When oda decides to Flesh out his character. I mean right now we only have the Bare Bones of his character.

LOL
Anyways I'd love to see what brooke looked like before he died. I just don't want them to change his main character.

Gotta love bone jokes.

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 12:49 PM
Bone jokes are the ultimate. It's like his SUPA and panties are his crying and Yohoho is his guitar. And since Franky has all that, doesn't that mean Brook'll join?

mugen
May 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
the susupense ..
i can't take it ...
will he join or not :rant
if he will what's next?
a giant or a fish man or will the last to be human?

Kikuna992
May 29, 2007, 12:59 PM
I've gotta a feeling a fishwoman is going to join in the Fisherman Arc

mugen
May 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
that would be too expected ...
not Eiichiro like...
not his style anyways if we want to discuss the other mugiwara we should go to that thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6481)

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 01:13 PM
Well, he isn't going to join any time soon. He has to get his shadow back, defeat Ryuuma, and Luffy has to whoop Moria first

mugen
May 29, 2007, 01:17 PM
hopefully if he does join however ...
we know that it will be a fast departure or no departure at all :rofl

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
...what? I really didn't understand that.

mugen
May 29, 2007, 01:43 PM
...what? I really didn't understand that.
he has nobody to say goodbye to

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah, that's true. Unless he has to say goobye to Bink...or Ryuuma. Or, maybe Bink is just his overall goal/dream, like One Piece, All Blue, or whatever

Bartserk
May 29, 2007, 03:34 PM
I completely disagree with the author of the post in that Oda surprised us with Franky. I mean, at first it's true that it was a hateful man, and at least I thought that Kaku was going to be the shipwright, but this changed in no time. When Kaku was marked as a villain I still had my doubts because he wouldn't be the first villain to join the crew - after all it's pirates we're talking about - but when I saw Franky fighting with that cat weirdo in the train with his highly dirty tricks, I started considering him to join. And when we knew the magnificient shipwright he was, it as absolutely obvious to me that he was going to join the crew once the arc as over. And meanwhile, some individuals in this board were saying that it was impossible, but Oda did not surprise us all. I mean, to me it was an obvious thing, and I'm sure that to most people too.

Going back to the topic, the cons you've posted are pretty important, I didn't think about it. Really, the crew has already a swordsman, and even as I think Zoro is better than Brook in sword skill, it's true that another swordsman in the crew would be a little weird. Brook is very cool, but perhaps he doesn't fit in the crew all that I thought. He'll probably be like Bon Kurei (i love him! it was the first time I got emoted with a miniarc ;p) and follow his own path.

weixiaobao
May 29, 2007, 05:30 PM
I completely disagree with the author of the post in that Oda surprised us with Franky.

well, surprised come if a person keep guessing who going to joined next, and the result come out that they're wrong...

anyway.. this apply to this arc as well if Brook joined or not... more hints are needed to decide wether or not... but now i rather think the Brook will joined since most people Luffy ask joined except for vivi (whose country needed her) and the guy in the treasure box (who wants to protect his precious animal friends) but as for Brook, he had no responsibility to any one at the moment except for getting his shadow back...

Anti-panda
May 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
Sorry off topic..
But I knew I wanted franky to join when he showed up to fight luffy and he was dancing and posing ....

... ehh wait I was leading into topic...
I knew I wanted Brooke to join the second he asked if he could see nami's panties. I was kindof thrown off when he said he was a musican.. and again when he used a sword.
But I don't see anyof these as Fatal Flaws in his character.

I mean if you've got a Bone to pick with Brooke ... . You can just Rot for all I care.
I mean I love brooke .. with the corny jokes .. and how he seems to be getting by by the Skin Of His Teeth. Which is great cause he has no Skin.

LOL ... ROFL

yoniekai
May 30, 2007, 03:26 AM
Well, he can still die. He just came back to life once, which I guess just means that he's twice as old as a regular person. But, if Brook joins, it would be like the "toping" nakama that Oda keeps having. Robin was the oldest and tallest SH, then Franky was, now Brook will be. Next will probably some 300 year old giant.

true, but they have to crush him then to kill him, he doesnt have blood or flesh so he's pretty susceptible to most attacks. plus he's super agile, and has great swordsmanship skills. damn funny too! i want him to be the next nakama.

but like the others said oda likes to lead on people, like in the case of franky and ropeman or kaku. never i expected franky to be the nakama until the rescue arc. who knows, maybe cindry gets to be the nakama

Anti-panda
May 30, 2007, 12:49 PM
We don't know how fast or slow mer-people age, if they get a new nakama on fishman island, then they could be 40yrs old ... but by fishman standards they may just be 19 or so. I say 40 because at 30yrs a fish-man/woman tail splits and they can walk on dry land. I still think a mermaid would make a awesome addition to the crew. But I don't think we need many people older than franky ... Brooke doesn't count as far as age goes because he quit aging when he quit having Skin.

Kikuna992
May 30, 2007, 02:47 PM
This thread is infested with skull jokes!

Paz42
May 30, 2007, 04:26 PM
This thread is infested with skull jokes!

damn straight cos skull jokes are the backbone of this thread sorry couldnt resist. but the skull jokes are one of the reasons i love brooke so much hes funny serious funny serious u just odnt know with him such an orginal charcter aswell :D great stuff

OP_overlord
May 30, 2007, 04:40 PM
i would love to see brooke join the crew and you all knowthat thousand suny has enough room for more people so it is ok (and after him i want 3 more people to join before the journey is over)

Absolutio
May 31, 2007, 07:56 AM
We don't know how fast or slow mer-people age, if they get a new nakama on fishman island, then they could be 40yrs old ... but by fishman standards they may just be 19 or so. I say 40 because at 30yrs a fish-man/woman tail splits and they can walk on dry land. I still think a mermaid would make a awesome addition to the crew. But I don't think we need many people older than franky ... Brooke doesn't count as far as age goes because he quit aging when he quit having Skin.

How old is franky anyways? Older than robin? :o

And who knows.. maybe brooke (if he joins) will be the wiseman of the SH. The eldest of the wise elders. :p

Impel Down
June 01, 2007, 03:25 PM
But then wouldn't Brook have to be wise? So far, he hasn't proven to be all that smart, just figuring out about salt, but then again he was on TB for quite some time. And Franky is like 34, which is older than Robin (28)

yoniekai
June 02, 2007, 10:17 AM
damn if brooke joins it'll be so fun! i love that guy! i love skull jokes, whoa brooke is the most popular op char in MH

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 10:48 AM
Um, with the new chapter
Edited the post because it violates this rule (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7616):
<It isn't allowed either talking or reporting or making references or implying facts regarding the last released chapter outside his proper "discussion thread" and "predictions thread" until the week-end passed. Even with the use of "spoiler tag" it will be considered a violation of this rule.>

Anti-panda
June 03, 2007, 12:56 AM
damn if brooke joins it'll be so fun! i love that guy! i love skull jokes, whoa brooke is the most popular op char in MH

I don't think you'll believe your eyes when you see how much more powerfull brooke is.. than ryuma. Brooke didn't Because He Didn't have Eyes to begin with. LOL

No but really Brooke could really wind up being the BackBone of the mugiwara pirates. XD

Brooke is the crazy character .. with a really good head on his shoulders. I'd say he's got Guts... but he doesn't!!

Brooke has to join... anyone who doesn't want him to....well thier more Heartless than brooke.
It's a man's Romance to tell many many skull jokes.

yoniekai
June 03, 2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think you'll believe your eyes when you see how much more powerfull brooke is.. than ryuma. Brooke didn't Because He Didn't have Eyes to begin with. LOL

No but really Brooke could really wind up being the BackBone of the mugiwara pirates. XD

Brooke is the crazy character .. with a really good head on his shoulders. I'd say he's got Guts... but he doesn't!!

Brooke has to join... anyone who doesn't want him to....well thier more Heartless than brooke.
It's a man's Romance to tell many many skull jokes.

WTF!!!!! haha! cant believe you'd say that

Edited the post because it violates this rule (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7616):

Impel Down
June 03, 2007, 07:38 AM
As amazing as those Skull Jokes were, Ryuuma doesn't really have eyes either.

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 04:44 PM
Brooke will join, I can fell it in my bones.

yohohoho! Skull Joke.
[hr]

If I were Luffy I'd kick him off the crew if he grew flesh!

Anti-panda
June 04, 2007, 12:02 AM
Off topic .. this topic is quickly becoming a {violation post edit} trap.... LOL must tread carefully.

On topic.. --- I hope oda keeps up with brooke and his skull jokes... but the funniest part was when robin told franky to hit brooke because of his corny skull jokes.... that was great.

Just further proof that Brooke will fit in tremendously with the rest of the mugiwara's.
And as the manga proceeds futher I bet we'll have less and less holdouts against brooke ... there were plenty of "Those" people with Franky too.. but look at him ... SUPER!!!

Impel Down
June 04, 2007, 08:53 AM
It's seeming to me that the afro is becoming his "straw hat" or his "hands" or his "swords". That's making him even more like the crew members. Now all we need is his dream, which is probably like returning Bink's drink or something.

OP_overlord
June 04, 2007, 10:29 PM
i would love to see another nakama join the crew especialy one as cool and funny as brooke and he has so many jobs on the boat that need to be filled

Kikuna992
June 06, 2007, 12:05 PM
But if Brooke has a dream surely he will try to fulfill it like all the other SH pirates are trying to do e.g. Sanji all blue, Luffy One Piece. However how would Brooke boarding the Thousand Sunny as a crew member help him into achieving his dream? Surly it is quicker to just go in the opposite direction as the Mugiwaras are going as the Florian triangle is just before the half way point of the grand line. I don't know a lot about the geography of the one piece world so I don't know maybe it is quicker to carry on down the grand line to get to Laboon... Can you go backwards down the Grand line?

Impel Down
June 06, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well, can't his dream involve him traveling the GL? So, then he would totally benefit from joining them too. Him finding Bink is like Zoro finding Mihawk, minus the fighting part. And I don't see why you think finding Laboon would help him.

Anti-panda
June 07, 2007, 11:35 PM
hey hey hey guy's no spoilers in this section.. Laboon talk needs to go in the spoiler disscussion section until it's no longer the up coming or current chapter.

And ... navagating the grandline is hazardous .. just going forward so without a log pose or a eternal pose to show them the way it's probably next to imposible to go backward.. log pose would have to be set to a island farther toward the begining of the GL BTW.

Impel Down
June 08, 2007, 12:02 PM
Well, don't all the pirates who try to escape the GL die in the Calm Belt anyway? And sorry about the "you know what" thing, I never read the spoilers, I was just commenting on what the person above me said.

Anti-panda
June 09, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well, don't all the pirates who try to escape the GL die in the Calm Belt anyway? And sorry about the "you know what" thing, I never read the spoilers, I was just commenting on what the person above me said.
Most of them do.. however Red leg Zeff came back from the grandline as did Don Krieg.. so it's not impossible ... however it probably takes a heavier toll on most crews.. In other words when they run into the calm belt they are running from a situation where they'll definitly die.. to a situation where they'll Probably just die.
Out of the frying pan and into the fryer as it were.
Because remember they may have returned from the grandline .. but Gol D. roger is the only man to make it all the way through the grandline.

Luckas
June 09, 2007, 06:12 AM
The subject of this thread is strongly connected to the latest chapters, for this reason please make attention not to violate these rules:

NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. This rule will be strictly enforced. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

Break of this rule will result in:
- a warning the first time;
- a banning the second time, whose duration will be in relation to the gravity of the offense;

The discussion thread for the latest chapter is in the "One Piece Discussions" (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=40.0) Board, under the Child Boards you'll find two sticky thread: the "discussion thread" for the latest chapter and the "predictions" thread for the next chapter.

The reason of this rule is to avoid spoiling people who didn't read the last released chapter immediately.

Impel Down
June 09, 2007, 11:25 AM
Most of them do.. however Red leg Zeff came back from the grandline as did Don Krieg.. so it's not impossible ... however it probably takes a heavier toll on most crews.. In other words when they run into the calm belt they are running from a situation where they'll definitly die.. to a situation where they'll Probably just die.
Out of the frying pan and into the fryer as it were.
Because remember they may have returned from the grandline .. but Gol D. roger is the only man to make it all the way through the grandline.

Well, you can probably return to the regular seas when you reach the end, like with the Reverse Mountain. And as of the last chapter, it seems to me like Brook's style of fighting is actually FENCING. Oh, and he lives when he gets stabbed. That shit is awesome.

Naelyan
June 10, 2007, 04:25 PM
Well, Brooke HAS to join the crew, he's got everything now, he's not only funny and a musician, now luffy definitely wants him aboard, and since the last chapter he has everything every member of the mugiwaras has, a sad backstory and a dream to fulfill.

Impel Down
June 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, and everyone would realize that if people would stop with the "lol, he has to turn around to get to Laboon" theories. He must have more he wants to do besides Laboon. What about Bink's booze?

Naelyan
June 10, 2007, 10:51 PM
Lol, Well, I agree, even he wanted to go to laboon as soon as possible, it'll be impossible for him to ride the grand line alone, and that's assuming that "thing" he uses as a ship would take him that far. He'd die, again, before the first island, and that's assuming he can put his hand on a log post. So he'd have to hitch a ride and the devil's sea don't seem the perfect place to do so. He's already lucky to have met with the mugiwaras, and seemed very enthusiastic to join them.

And anyway, luffy already promised to get back to laboon, so sooner or later they'll go back to that place, plus there's never been someone he wanted to join the crew that didn't, so I see no reason for him not to join.

Imitorar
June 10, 2007, 11:06 PM
WARNING, MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER 459:
Brook DOES need to go back to meet Laboon. I have a good idea of how it will go. Luffy will formally ask Brook to join, but Brook will decline because "his dream is to be reunited with Laboon". Luffy values dreams highly, so he'll let Brook go. And seriously, Brooks journey back through the Grand Line would make an AWESOME opening page story for when Oda-sensei gets up to doing one for the Thriller Bark saga.

Naelyan
June 10, 2007, 11:31 PM
When exactly did the grand line became something so ordinary that anyone with no apparent navigation skill whatsoever (the guy DID wandered in the demon's sea for 45 years or so) could ALONE go wherever he wants to so easily... did I miss a chapter somewhere??

So from there, what will he do if doesn't join the mugiwaras... go back to his ship, take control of thriller bark or simply walk his way through the grand line... he already had accepted luffy's proposal the first time, even though WE didn't know about his past then, HE most certainly did and yet accepted.

Also, you say he has his dream to accomplish, but I fail to see how staying with the mugiwara would prevent him from doing so, his nakama already waited for 50 YEARS, what's a couple of months gonna do, while he could come back after traversing the grand line.

And what would be even more awesome than an opening page story, would be brooke joining as a regular crew.

weixiaobao
June 11, 2007, 01:13 AM
well eventhough i didn't not read all of the posts before me...

up to this point in the manga convinced me that Brook will joined the crew since Luffy and him have the same promised that once they travel around the Grandline they will reunited with Laboon

Absolutio
June 11, 2007, 01:52 AM
brooke doesnt need a ship.. he can run on water O_o

But I too think/hope he'll join the crew. There wasn't even one person yet who luffy wanted to join his crew who didnt join. :p

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
Well, he does have a ship, as we've already seen. He can't just run around for 50 years, although that would be interesting. Actually, maybe they should take his ship instead of the Thousand Sunny, because it seems a fuck-lot bigger than TS.

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
When exactly did the grand line became something so ordinary that anyone with no apparent navigation skill whatsoever (the guy DID wandered in the demon's sea for 45 years or so) could ALONE go wherever he wants to so easily... did I miss a chapter somewhere??

Brooks wandering through the Florian Triangle proves nothing about his navigational skill. He was looking for a moving island. That'd be hard to find even for a good navigator. Nami could probably do it, but she's one of the best navigators there are. And it WON'T be easy for him to get back to Laboon. That's what will make the cover story so interesting.

So from there, what will he do if doesn't join the mugiwaras... go back to his ship, take control of thriller bark or simply walk his way through the grand line... he already had accepted luffy's proposal the first time, even though WE didn't know about his past then, HE most certainly did and yet accepted.

I don't remember Brook saying he accepted, what chapter was this in? And yeah, maybe he will take over Thriller Bark. Maybe he'll get a new ship, maybe he'll walk his way. Does it matter? You just gave three different methods. Now it's just a question of which one Oda-sensei will have him use.

Also, you say he has his dream to accomplish, but I fail to see how staying with the mugiwara would prevent him from doing so, his nakama already waited for 50 YEARS, what's a couple of months gonna do, while he could come back after traversing the grand line.

He won't wait. That's the problem. He's waited 50 years, that's why it CAN'T wait any longer. He's already having doubts about whether Laboon remembers him. He won't push it off further. Brooks whole purpose of being right now is to get to Laboon. He doesn't have time to sail through the rest of the Grand Line with the Straw Hats. It's probably taken them a good 4-8 months just getting this far. It will probably take longer to sail through the rest of the Grand Line (it IS the New World, after all). It'll be too much time for Brook to wait. Unless...

well eventhough i didn't not read all of the posts before me...

up to this point in the manga convinced me that Brook will joined the crew since Luffy and him have the same promised that once they travel around the Grandline they will reunited with Laboon

This is actually the best point I've heard in favor of Brook joining despite chapter 459. This may be, especially since he promised "AROUND the Grand Line". It's a question of whether Brook will want to keep the whole promise and be influenced by the fact that Laboon is still waiting for him and that Laboon wouldn't want to see him if he didn't fulfill the whole promise (I can imagine Luffy saying that, he'd want Brook to fulfill his whole dream, and Laboon wouldn't mind if Brook was fulfilling the whole dream, probably) or whether Brook feels that he should be reunited with Laboon.

And what would be even more awesome than an opening page story, would be brooke joining as a regular crew.

Here I disagree. I like Brook, or at least, I do now that I know that he DOES act like a gentleman when it really matters, and he has a dream that he's been trying to achieve for 50 YEARS, letting not even death and the theft of his soul deter him from the fulfillment of that dream, but I just don't think he's Straw Hat material. I dunno why, but I just don't think that he'd fit well with the character dynamics, and I can't see him as a musician either. His music was terrible, if you remember. I like Brook now, and I would like to see the rest of his adventure through the Grand Line, but I don't think his place is with the Straw Hats. He just doesn't seem to fit in with them to me.

But I too think/hope he'll join the crew. There wasn't even one person yet who luffy wanted to join his crew who didnt join. :p

No. There is one. Nefertari Vivi. Maybe he didn't specifically ask her to join, but he certainly wanted her to, and everyone thought she would. But she didn't. Because she had a different dream and a different job to do. And that's why Brook won't join. Unless what weixiaobao said about Brook having to sail through the rest of the Grand Line to fulfil his whole promise to Laboon is true, he won't join because he has a different job then them. They all need to go forward to fulfill their dreams, but unless weixiaobao was right, Brook needs to go backwards.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
Brooks wandering through the Florian Triangle proves nothing about his navigational skill. He was looking for a moving island. That'd be hard to find even for a good navigator. Nami could probably do it, but she's one of the best navigators there are. And it WON'T be easy for him to get back to Laboon. That's what will make the cover story so interesting

To begin with, you're wrong, Brooke wasn't looking for thriller bark, why exactly would he have do so, he learned of it's existence when THEY found him 5 years ago and stole his shadow, you're confusing two story, he told himself his death and his shadow are two unrelated stories.

I don't remember Brook saying he accepted, what chapter was this in?

Well then please feel free to read chapters 442 and 443 if you don't remember, cause luffy proposed and brooke accepted, he then declined in the next chapter because his missing shadow would prevent him from doing so (and please, at least don't contradict yourself by saying the first time he wasn't thinking about laboon).

Maybe he'll get a new ship, maybe he'll walk his way. Does it matter? You just gave three different methods. Now it's just a question of which one Oda-sensei will have him use.

So I ask you again, when exactly did it happened that the most dangerous see in the whole world became something so ordinary one could cross it on foot (no reference to mihawk or aokiji, unless you wanna compare a shichibukai and an admiral to brooke, and I wouldn't follow you there... )

He won't wait. That's the problem. He's waited 50 years, that's why it CAN'T wait any longer. He's already having doubts about whether Laboon remembers him.

Cause for now he doesn't even know what happened to laboon, but luffy will tell him he's still waiting, so sorry but I don't see where the "CAN'T wait" is coming from... I also agree with weixiaobao that brooke could join the mugiwaras for that reason.

As for not fitting in with the crew, instead of just saying brooke's attitude don't fit in, could you please enlighten us a little on what you mean... cause till now we have a stupid captain, a lazy swordman, a love cook, an overly sensitive cyborg... so why wouldn't an impolite gentlemen fit in exactly...

And vivi dream was achieved when she left the mugiwaras, she restored alabasta, now she had a new dream she couldn't fulfilled with them, that's why she didn't join in the end... but as I said, joining the mugiwaras isn't in the way of his dream at all, they could actually help him fulfill it...

Anyway, as Franky stated, there ain't that many people that would accept him, but with luffy he already found people that want him to join them, so I just see many reason why he could join, no reason at all why he shouldn't or couldn't.

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 12:51 PM
To begin with, you're wrong, Brooke wasn't looking for thriller bark, why exactly would he have do so, he learned of it's existence when THEY found him 5 years ago and stole his shadow, you're confusing two story, he told himself his death and his shadow are two unrelated stories.

Ah, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the wandering he did to find Thriller Bark, not the wandering he did to find his body. A stupid mistake on my part, sorry.

Well then please feel free to read chapters 442 and 443 if you don't remember, cause luffy proposed and brooke accepted, he then declined in the next chapter because his missing shadow would prevent him from doing so (and please, at least don't contradict yourself by saying the first time he wasn't thinking about laboon).

Yes, you're right, he accepted, then he left because he needed to reclaim his shadow. And yes, you're right, he was certainly thinking of Laboon then. Perhaps that bit about him having to fulfill the whole promise was true. Or maybe he was just gonna join them for a while because he wanted company. He can't have intended to join permanently, because he couldn't leave the Florian Triangle, and he didn't want their help getting his shadow back, he told them not to follow him into Thriller Bark. It's possible, but he may just have been saying he'd join temporarily for the sake of companionship.

So I ask you again, when exactly did it happened that the most dangerous see in the whole world became something so ordinary one could cross it on foot (no reference to mihawk or aokiji, unless you wanna compare a shichibukai and an admiral to brooke, and I wouldn't follow you there... )

I'm not saying he's on the level of an Admiral or a Shichibukai, but he IS pretty strong. His invulnerability would make him at least a middle-class Straw Hat (not the Monster Trio, but not too weak, basically Robin, Franky, and maybe Chopper.) And again, it would be dangerous. I never said he'd cross it on foot. Maybe he'd get a boat, he has his own, and there are certainly some floating around the Florian Triangle. Maybe he'll take over Thriller Bark. I'm not saying it's ordinary. But the fact is, the weather issue wouldn't hurt him, he doesn't need to stop at any island for supplies, and for all we know, Thriller Bark has a giant collection of Log and Eternal Posts. They've been stealing stuff off of ships for about 10 years now, and they'd certainly take things as valuable as Posts. He could get a post set for Whiskery Peak or something, and from there to Reverse Mountain isn't so far. My point is, there are ways to make it work.

Cause for now he doesn't even know what happened to laboon, but luffy will tell him he's still waiting, so sorry but I don't see where the "CAN'T wait" is coming from... I also agree with weixiaobao that brooke could join the mugiwaras for that reason.

Human psychology. After waiting for something for a long time, people get impatient and don't want to wait any longer. Only people who don't feel as stressed as the one waiting say "You've waited this long, you can wait a bit longer". And I DID acknowledge that weixiaobao may be correct. He's got the best reason for Brooks joining I've seen yet, and the only one I can't explain away that well, at least to myself.

As for not fitting in with the crew, instead of just saying brooke's attitude don't fit in, could you please enlighten us a little on what you mean... cause till now we have a stupid captain, a lazy swordman, a love cook, an overly sensitive cyborg... so why wouldn't an impolite gentlemen fit in exactly...

I dunno, I just don't feel that he belongs with them. I can't really explain why, I just don't get the feeling that he'd fit well with them. What job could he fill, anyway? And even if he could fill a job, I don't see him fitting in.

And vivi dream was achieved when she left the mugiwaras, she restored alabasta, now she had a new dream she couldn't fulfilled with them, that's why she didn't join in the end... but as I said, joining the mugiwaras isn't in the way of his dream at all, they could actually help him fulfill it...

Again, that is weixiaobao's point, and I acknowledged that it may prove true.

Anyway, as Franky stated, there ain't that many people that would accept him, but with luffy he already found people that want him to join them, so I just see many reason why he could join, no reason at all why he shouldn't or couldn't.

True, he may still need the companionship. But from the fact that he's continued to chase his dream despite that for so long, I think that he's willing to forgo any other companionship to be with Laboon. (I said above that he may only have intended to stay with the Straw Hats TEMPORARILY. Though if he has the chance, he may NOT wish to forgo that companionship if he doesn't have to, and weixiaobao's point may prove true, in which case Brook will still need nakama to fulfill the full dream and cross the Grand Line.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 01:20 PM
By the way, it's no longer spoilers, the week end's over.

Well about how he could go back, my point is that whatever the mean, let's say he uses his own ship it's 50 years old and was attacked by another crew, so how much longer will it last before it sinks... on any other sea it could have it's chance, but it's grand line we're talking about. And anyway, brooke was a musician, not a navigator, there's no way he could handle a ship ON HIS OWN on the grand line... (that's what i meant by mihawk and aokiji, since they do cross grand line on their own)..

He's been lost in that place for 45 years, how many more years would it take him to make his way back to the beginning of grand line... just having a log or eternal post don't make it any easier to cross the grand line without any navigation skills.

As for human psychology, you can hardly apply that kind of thing to any one piece character, I think you'll agree with me on that point, so as I said, he'll be able to put his mind at ease once he know laboon is still waiting for him.

And about the position he could fill, he's a musician, it doesn't matter if he can't play right, luffy only wants a musician cause it's fun, in fact that makes him even more fit for the crew, after having the bests in everything, to have a screw up.

Also, why would it be temporarily exactly, luffy asked him to become his nakama, like zoro would say, it's not like they're playing pirates and you can go just like that when it pleases you... brooke was a pirate, and seeing how important he's promise to laboon is, he'd know at least that much.

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 01:22 PM
I highly doubt Brook will try to cross the GL on foot. Just because he's a skeleton doesn't mean he doesn't have stamina or exhaustion. And if he went with the SHs, he wouldn't "have to wait a bit more", he'd go back at the exact same time, and he'd have friends too. I mean, this way, he has food, friends, a place to sleep, a place to rest, adventure, panties, and he still gets to Laboon. I mean, he can basically go to Laboon himself, or go with the SHs, and have the same thing happen.

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 01:36 PM
By the way, it's no longer spoilers, the week end's over.

Well about how he could go back, my point is that whatever the mean, let's say he uses his own ship it's 50 years old and was attacked by another crew, so how much longer will it last before it sinks... on any other sea it could have it's chance, but it's grand line we're talking about. And anyway, brooke was a musician, not a navigator, there's no way he could handle a ship ON HIS OWN on the grand line... (that's what i meant by mihawk and aokiji, since they do cross grand line on their own)..

Point, it would be difficult. Perhaps he will join them because of that. They've accepted people before who had nowhere to go (Ussop). Brook reminds me alot of Ussop, actually. Maybe he will choose to fudge it and just sail and hope he manages, but that's grasping at straws. Yes, the more I think about it, the more likely it seems that he'll need some sort of crew. So either he'll have to join the Straw Hats, or he'll need another crew of people who will accept him. And I don't think anyone but the zombies will, so he could take them, assuming that they don't all lose their shadows as soon as Moria is defeated by Luffy.

He's been lost in that place for 45 years, how many more years would it take him to make his way back to the beginning of grand line... just having a log or eternal post don't make it any easier to cross the grand line without any navigation skills.

Yes, he'll need a crew, and I just posted possibilities on where he will get one.

As for human psychology, you can hardly apply that kind of thing to any one piece character, I think you'll agree with me on that point, so as I said, he'll be able to put his mind at ease once he know laboon is still waiting for him.

No, you can't. And yes, there is a very good chance that knowing that Laboon is still waiting for him will convince him to join.

And about the position he could fill, he's a musician, it doesn't matter if he can't play right, luffy only wants a musician cause it's fun, in fact that makes him even more fit for the crew, after having the bests in everything, to have a screw up.

Luffy won't accept a bad musician. He wants only the best for the Pirate King, he said as much to Zoro back in Volume 1. Maybe Brook was only playing bad because of his distress over Laboon? Or maybe you can't play music without a soul...

Also, why would it be temporarily exactly, luffy asked him to become his nakama, like zoro would say, it's not like they're playing pirates and you can go just like that when it pleases you... brooke was a pirate, and seeing how important he's promise to laboon is, he'd know at least that much.

It would HAVE to have been temporarily, because of the sun issue. It wouldn't be so much a matter of "playing pirates" as life or death. But as I said, there is a possibility that that reason will be taken away by Brooks getting his shadow back, and if so, he would probably join.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, once that whole shadow matter'll be settle, there'll be no obstacle to him joining the crew, since they already accepted him, even chopper and usopp who were so afraid of him at first.

And maybe once they're reunite with laboon, he will follow the sunny the same way he did with brooke's former crew. I mean, he's so big now, even grand line would hardly be as dangerous as it was 50 years ago.

Anti-panda
June 11, 2007, 05:56 PM
XD could you imagine brooke's face when he see's the giant Mugiwara sign luffy painted on laboon. LOL

sorry off topic.. Considering luffy and nami's dreams and possibly sanji and robins as well will require multiple trips through the grand line .. eventually the strawhats will re-enter the grandline via reverse mountain and they will meet back up with laboon.. once brooke learns via the mugiwara's that laboon is still waiting and that they or more precsisly luffy stopped laboon from hurting itself ... I have no doubts that brooke will join the mugiwara's via unanimous decision.... not that it matters .. Luffy likes him and that's all that matters.

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 06:05 PM
XD could you imagine brooke's face when he see's the giant Mugiwara sign luffy painted on laboon. LOL

sorry off topic.. Considering luffy and nami's dreams and possibly sanji and robins as well will require multiple trips through the grand line .. eventually the strawhats will re-enter the grandline via reverse mountain and they will meet back up with laboon.. once brooke learns via the mugiwara's that laboon is still waiting and that they or more precsisly luffy stopped laboon from hurting itself ... I have no doubts that brooke will join the mugiwara's via unanimous decision.... not that it matters .. Luffy likes him and that's all that matters.

I don't know why you say that the dreams will take multiple trips through the Grand Line. Luffy only has to get to Raftel once, Nami just has to draw a map of every island once (that one may take multiple journeys, since they haven't been to EVERY island on this trip, but do you honestly think Luffy would quit adventuring, even after becoming Pirate King? He'll probably go back to East Blue after he becomes Pirate King so that the Straw Hats can be re-united with their family and friends, but then he'll go right back in and this time explore every last island, which he'll be able to take the time to do because he won't have to worry about being the first one to Raftel. That's when all the Straw Hats from the Grand Line, except for Brook, who will see Laboon again when they go back to Reverse Mountain to get out of the Grand Line, will meet up with THEIR loved ones.) And the Rio Poneglyph is on Raftel, I suspect. I think Roger found it and took it with him, which supports my theory of "One Piece" being knowledge and adventure. And Sanji will probably find All Blue near one of the islands they visit on this trip, near the end of the journey.

And why you say Brook will join now that he knows Laboon is waiting for him, I've come to agree. And yeah, it'll be funny to see his reaction to the Straw Hatted Skull & Crossbones Luffy drew on Laboon.

haruka9
June 11, 2007, 07:40 PM
I guess he'll eventually join the crew after this thriller bark arc ends. Luffy has been looking for a musician ever since. And now that he's already found one, he'll definitely a grab a chance to have a musician on his crew. And in this case, it's Brooke

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 08:08 PM
I just realized, in light of Brook's recent fight, he could be the most 4Kids friendly character of all, since he doesn't bleed in the fights. He just get battered and broken, but no blood or anything all that graphic, unlike most SH fights.

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 08:11 PM
I just realized, in light of Brook's recent fight, he could be the most 4Kids friendly character of all, since he doesn't bleed in the fights. He just get battered and broken, but no blood or anything all that graphic, unlike most SH fights.

Lol. Thankfully, that's no longer an issue, since Funimation is now dubbing the One Piece anime. And 4Kids would probably give Brook skin, because skeletons would be too scary for little kids. (Heck, they're too scary for Ussop and Chopper!)

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 08:13 PM
Eh, Choppy and Hanapu have manned up lately about Brook. As I quote from Chopper in the most recent chapter: "I'm not scared of skeletons!" Although, I do get that Funi is the new dubber, but it would easier on them too, because of the FFA, right?

Imitorar
June 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
Eh, Choppy and Hanapu have manned up lately about Brook. As I quote from Chopper in the most recent chapter: "I'm not scared of skeletons!" Although, I do get that Funi is the new dubber, but it would easier on them too, because of the FFA, right?

The Ussop and Chopper thing was a joke. (I actually wonder how Funimation will dub Nami's jokes about Hanapp and Hanaking. Maybe if Sogeking is "Sniper King", which wouldn't be too bad, and then she called him "Nosey King" or something. But I digress.) What is the FFA? Do you mean the FCC?

Impel Down
June 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
FCC, yes. That is what I meant. Wait, doesn't this whole section have a "What about the dub?" section?

Anti-panda
June 11, 2007, 09:50 PM

However that theroy goes out the window when he asks nami if he can see her panties... LOL I doubt they'll leave that in.

Brooke is awesome ... Is anyone acctually still against him joining after the recent chapters??

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
I don't really care for dub, they suck and I just hate the voices they choose... and censureship is the plague of animation, i mean, sanji sucking on lolipop?? it quite litteraly sucks.. a character like brooke won't be half as funny in a dub version of one piece, at least half the humor that makes him so original will be cut or lost in translation.

OP_overlord
June 11, 2007, 10:10 PM
he is great and i want him to join
but, and im sorry to bring this back up, but after his last fight i dont see how two strong swordsman can live together.

Naelyan
June 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
How is that exactly... Zoro's dream is to become the strongest swordman, which means that from now on he can't lose to anyone that he fights... but brooke doesn't want to become the strongest, even if he's a swordman, so I see no reason for them to fight each other... zoro would still be the swordman of the crew and luffy's second, and brooke the musician... their goals are very different anyway, their fighting styles are also very different, so there's no reason... it's like if you said franky couldn't have joined the crew cause he fight bare-handed as luffy does, and even chopper for that matter...

Luckas
June 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
Please guys, the discussion about dubbing doesn't belong here. If you want to discuss about it, you can check these threads: One Piece: Re-Licensed by Funimation (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11502), The One Piece Dub is Finally OVER. (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6483) or you can create a new thread in the One Piece Theater & Arcade (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275).

Impel Down
June 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
Brooke is awesome ... Is anyone acctually still against him joining after the recent chapters??

I wanted him to join since Luffy first asked him. I mean, he has everything the SHs have. A dream, a goal, he's a good friend, quirks that can be played on over and over again, kick-ass fighting skillz that pay the billz, and he has something on his person that he holds dear, like the straw hat, the swords, the hands, the boat, so on so forth.

rodis3d
June 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
he is great and i want him to join
but, and im sorry to bring this back up, but after his last fight i dont see how two strong swordsman can live together.

Zoro was the first to get off the ship, saying that there is another shadow that's got to be saved. i think the best solution for this is if he just takes out riyuma (or whatever brooks shadow is called) and takes his sword, wich looks really badass. So we'd have all matters regarding zoro solved at once.

Impel Down
June 13, 2007, 08:25 AM
To OP_overlord: It's because they're both so different in how they fight. Zoro fights more like a cool samurai, while Brook fences. Besides, it's not like Zoro has fought EVERY swordsman he's seen, since he doesn't need to defeat all of them to be considered the best, just Mihawk. As long as Brook doesn't want to be the best either, then they'll get along peachy-keen.

Anti-panda
June 13, 2007, 12:07 PM
Watching Brooke fighting even though he uses a katana .. his style is verry different from zoro's .. it seems to be closer to fencing than bushido or traditional samurai fair. Also like I said ... zoro and brooke have strikingly different styles and focuses for thier swordsmanship.
I also Think zoro will wind up beating ryuma for brooke. However with his sense of direction he'll probably wind up just running around beating up random zombies until he happens upon brooke and ryuma fighting.

Impel Down
June 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
But what would it say about Brook if he can't defeat his own shadow? He HAS to win to prove himself as a man! Not to mention how cool this fight is, an afro skeleton fencing with a dead samurai. But, I do agree that Zoro should get lost and kill random zombies.

haruka9
June 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
knowing that Zoro is pretty bad with directions, he might be getting lost again, especially that the ship is so huge that the village can fit inside it. Reaching Brooke and Ryuuma will be a matter of Zoro's luck.

I noticed that one thing that gives us the idea of Brooke not joining the Straw Hats is because he uses sword. Of course, the idea of two sword-using crew sucks. Of course, each member possess different characteristics and fighting abilites. There is a rubber man, a doctor, a shipwright, a sniper, a swordsman, a cook, a navigator, and a historian. But just because Brooke uses swords doesn't mean that he is in fact a swordsman. In previous chapters, he describes himself as "the musician of their crew," meaning he thinks of himself as a musician, not a swordsman. Besides, Brooke will still have his own distinctive style even if he uses swrods. It would be like Sanji and Luffy who are both using their combat skills in fighting but each of them has their own style

Impel Down
June 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
I'm sure that there are other pirate crews in which more than one person uses swords. And as you say, he can actually do something besides use swords, so he doesn't fill that position. If someone were to come on the ship and demand to see the swordsman, they'd all point to Zoro, not Brook. Besides, didn't they describe him as a swashbuckler, rather than a swordsman, somewhere?

Anti-panda
June 14, 2007, 03:43 PM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z174/antipanda1/Brooke.jpg
Well i was looking back at laboon and I think that maybe brooke sitting in the chair with the violin.

Anyways Brookes sword style seems to be quick draw techniques and more fencing style so I don't think we have to worry about him replacing zoro as the swordsman on board.
Anyway Brooke is soo cool I can overlook the fact that he uses a sword. Plus It would be hard to have a crew of 10+ people and not have 1 or 2 of them have some other things in common. I'm more worried about Brooke replacing Sanji as the mugiwaras resident pervert. LOL
I wonder if maybe Absolom is going to try and place nami in a zombie body or modify her body .. as a bride of frankenstein kind of thing.
Also i've been wondering about what killed brooke and his crew. They didn't say Moria did it. And Considering thier in the middle of the furoian triangle I think they might go out of the frying pan and into the fire even if they defeat Gekko.

Impel Down
June 14, 2007, 07:15 PM
First off, I would like to say that I do not see anyone sitting and playing a violin, let alone anyone who resembles Brook, in that picture. No offense.

And you're right about the two-swordsman thing. I mean, if you nay-sayers think about it, we already have two melee fighters and two "shooters", i.e., Luffy and Sanji/Usopp and Franky. And he won't replace Sanji, but they will become love rivals.

As for what killed them, I doubt it was Moria, as Moria is more of the "shadow stealing" persuasion, and it didn't seem like Hogback really recognized him as anyone but the guy they stole their shadow from.

Paz42
June 14, 2007, 08:54 PM
no i can see what anti-panda is saying on the right hand side of the image there is deffinatly some one sitting on a chair playing a violin could oda really think that far ahead?

And i think the there is no worrie of brooke taking over the roll if pervert sanji is subtle about it and has more feelings of love then perv where as brooke seems straight to the point and i think that annoys sanji

Impel Down
June 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
I'm sure they could get into quarrels about how to treat a lady, Brook suggesting panties, Sanji suggesting softening them up with wine and dinner. But, I do agree that they are very different in how they approach women. It's high time they get a straight mugiwara on board besides Sanji too, so I'm glad that Brook is a pervert. Besides, it's obvious that Sanji is more of a breast person, while Brook likes the ass, so they're different.

Imitorar
June 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sure they could get into quarrels about how to treat a lady, Brook suggesting panties, Sanji suggesting softening them up with wine and dinner. But, I do agree that they are very different in how they approach women. It's high time they get a straight mugiwara on board besides Sanji too, so I'm glad that Brook is a pervert. Besides, it's obvious that Sanji is more of a breast person, while Brook likes the ass, so they're different.

I agree with the first part about arguments on how to treat a lady (though Sanji and Brooks fighting will not be as major as Sanji and Zoro's, it'll just be when they meet a woman, probably) but I disagree about calling Sanji the only straight Straw Hat. Nami's "Shiawase Punch" (when she flashed them all at the end of the Alabasta arc) and their reactions (falling of the wall they climbed over, blood spurting out of their noses, and Sanji's the hardest) proved that all the Mugiwara's are straight. And about the last part... it's true that Brook seems more like a butt person, since he has an obsession with panties, but how is it obvious that Sanji is a breast person? He seems to like the whole woman.

Impel Down
June 15, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, at Drum Island, he focused on her breasts, so that's what I'm going with. And I guess Usopp is straight too, since he said "thank you" when he caught Nami in the shower at TB. But, still, I think another perverse SH would really make things more interesting.

Imitorar
June 15, 2007, 04:50 PM
Well, at Drum Island, he focused on her breasts, so that's what I'm going with. And I guess Usopp is straight too, since he said "thank you" when he caught Nami in the shower at TB. But, still, I think another perverse SH would really make things more interesting.

What chapter was that on Drum Island, I don't remember that. Though there was that part where Zoro said she was small and Sanji immediately assumed that Zoro was referring to the size of Nami's breasts... But yeah another pervert in the crew would make for great comedy whenever a new female character was introduced, especially because they are two opposite types of pervert. (Sanji is the suave kind, Brook is the horny kind.)

Impel Down
June 15, 2007, 07:20 PM
Even though he claims to be a gentleman. But, both Sanji and Brook have sort of a "graceful" way to fight, if you call they way Sanji kicks graceful, which I do. Seems like Brook is kind of a "for everyone" character.

neild
June 16, 2007, 01:53 AM
i think wanting something and actually having it is 2 different things.luffy wants brooke to join the crew (as we have seen in last chapter).but mr luffy doesnt and will not always get what he wants (Except for being the pirate king though) becauseeeee things can be out of his control sometimes,for instance: brooke dies, brooke doesnt want to join (coz luffy fails to convince him or their goals dont match). the bottom line,i dont see two swordsmen in a crew.its like having 2 quarterbacks in football, or having 2 point guards in a basketball team.it will devalue zorro's goal and roles in the crew (as a fighter).if brooke joins,now will we see 2 sword's fights everytime luffy decides to battle?no way...one leader in the field is enough

yoniekai
June 16, 2007, 03:13 AM
we have yet to see zoro's reaction to brooke's fighting style, so until that happens, zoro agrees with brooke being a nakama

Impel Down
June 16, 2007, 08:16 PM
Zoro hasn't really seen Brook fight, has he. He'll probably say he has like pussy sword fighting and they'll argue over how to fight with swords: slashing or fencing.

neild
June 17, 2007, 08:17 AM
im so scared that brooke will join the group given his connection with laboon. u guys know how luffy values such friendship.i just dont want zoro's uniquness to become not so unique swordsman anymore.besides brooke will live behind zoro's shadow as the 2nd greatest swordsman ever life.is that the kind of dream a pirate king crew should have?thats why i dont think he should join.however its up to oda though...

yoniekai
June 17, 2007, 08:44 AM
i feel that too, i want zoro to be the only swordsman in the crew. but we'll see. so far there are more good prospects than bad

Paz42
June 17, 2007, 09:27 AM
even though zoro is a swordsmen there styles are totaly different which is one point another point if zoro does have a problem with him being a swords man well if my theory that zoro with end up fighting ryuuma then technically he will have already fought brooke and plus zoro is unique in the fact he uses three swords the only other person weve seen like that is his shadow what ever his name was brooke joining would be a really good thing in my opinion hesgot lots going for him

War
June 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
Well, I estimate there's about a 70% chance that Brooke's joining.

For:
1) I don't think he'll be able to go back to Laboon easily. Seeing that he doesn't have a ship, crew and logpass.
2) his original crew had set out to circumnavigate around the world before coming back. I guess he should want to accomplish that, whatever reason he has.
3) after he learns that Luffy met Laboon, & will fulfill his promise made to Laboon after getting One Piece, I guess he'll follow Luffy too.

Against:
1)After being stuck for so long, he rids himself of all other desires and desperately wants to fulfill his promise made to Laboon so he heads back.

neild
June 17, 2007, 09:31 PM
well i guess now luffy has a crew who won't die.am i right? he is a zombie who cant die,isnt it?even with the use of salt..

mugen
June 17, 2007, 09:40 PM
no....Brooke is just a skeleton....but still a skeleton ...very awkward...and he has a hat as well
for those who think there can't be two similarities with mugiwaras :rofl

War
June 17, 2007, 09:51 PM
well i guess now luffy has a crew who won't die.am i right? he is a zombie who cant die,isnt it?even with the use of salt..

Actually, no. His devil fruit grants him a second life, if I'm not wrong.

This is just his second life. If his head gets chopped off or whatever, I think he should die. Or his bones are shattered to pieces, etc.

Anyway, Oda doesn't kill in One Piece.

Akainu
June 18, 2007, 05:45 AM
he had a sword stuck where his brain's supposed to be... shouldnt that have killed him?
anyways who do you think will join SH if Brook doesnt? Just in case he does the vivi again :amuse

Anti-panda
June 18, 2007, 02:17 PM
Please people quit being so narrow minded .. zoro is the swordsman aboard the ship. Just beacause Brooke uses a sword doesn't mean that he will take that away from zoro. I've listed several reasons why thier different styles work .. i'm not going over that again.
But aside from the sword thing. Brooke is a awesome character with depth and quirky personality that we've come to expect about our mugiwara's. He tells skull jokes... awesome and he's a perverted skelton who takes dumps. We never got that kind of depth on Vivi. Brooke is joining ... no spoilers but... after the last chapter its all but set in stone. And since it'll be a long time before the strawhats make it back around the grandline and see laboon, and since navigating the grandline backwards is next to impossible without a eternal pose, brooke will have to stay with them because he couldn't make it to laboon without it. Plus even if he did have a eternal pose he'd have a hard time making it being a skeleton and having no one to help him.

studwo
June 18, 2007, 07:05 PM
Brook should join the pirate crew. The only thing i worry now is.. will the same thing hapen again in alabasta arc? Princess Vivi wanted to join the pirate crew , and there comes the marine. Strawhat prirate crew is forced to ignore her

neild
June 18, 2007, 07:15 PM
unless he dies...like killed by ryuma

Imitorar
June 18, 2007, 08:08 PM
Brook should join the pirate crew. The only thing i worry now is.. will the same thing hapen again in alabasta arc? Princess Vivi wanted to join the pirate crew , and there comes the marine. Strawhat prirate crew is forced to ignore her

They did NOT ignore her. Vivi CHOSE to stay in Alabasta, she felt that her country still needed her. They left while holding up their hands and showing the X's they drew there to make sure Mr. 2 Bon Clay couldn't impersonate any of them without their knowing, a sign of their mutual fight and goal. THEN the Marines came and tried to stop the Straw Hats from leaving Alabasta. Besides, Luffy would never allow a friend to be ignored, and aside from that, Vivi is considered an honorary Straw Hat. As Brook probably will be, even if he doesn't join. He's Laboon's nakama, and so is Luffy, and that alone is enough to make him an honorary Straw Hat, aside from the fact that the Straw Hats and Brook spent some time together. Although it may not come to that and Brook will join the Straw Hats.

neild
June 18, 2007, 10:19 PM
Vivi is considered as an honorary Straw Hat. they make the 8th movie for her...the entire remake..who would watch same story twice..thats i think in order to honor vivi's decision not to join the crew

alias85
June 19, 2007, 01:41 PM
brooke should join. the main thing i'm hearing why he wouldn't fit in with the strawhats is that he is also a swordsman. but think about it, these are pirates. -_-; don't most pirates fight with swords? using a sword doesn't make you a true swordsman like zoro/mihawk.

**spoiler**
shanks and whitebeard also use swords as we saw in the manga in their little scuffle. whitebeard is known as the strongest man alive, yet mihawk is the one known as the strongest swordsman alive. that's proof enough that using a sword doesn't mean your a swordsman, thus brooke wouldn't take away from zoro's character at all.

weixiaobao
June 19, 2007, 02:03 PM
whitebeard didn't use a sword but rather a guandao famous for being use by general Guan Yu in the 3 kingdoms era (guandao moveset are much different than that of a sword)

but i dun think Brooke is that good as a swordman for Zoro to be fighting him...

ryusuke_
June 20, 2007, 03:42 AM
brooke should join. the main thing i'm hearing why he wouldn't fit in with the strawhats is that he is also a swordsman. but think about it, these are pirates. -_-; don't most pirates fight with swords? using a sword doesn't make you a true swordsman like zoro/mihawk.

Of course you're right about pirates using swords and about eh battle between Shanks and WB, but I think the StrawHat Pirates are the most "unique" pirate band we've seen and since they're the main characters of a series, I don't think there would be two characters with the same... "ability".

If there's nothing more than using the sword and being a musician, I hope he won't join the crew. But I hope he would have very importance in the current saga's final, dying or almost that to save StrawHats, that could be great.

Anyway, I love Brook and if he could use any other "ability" it would be perfect for the band.

Impel Down
June 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
The fact that Brook can jump hundreds of feet in the air is pretty sweet too. I imagine that is how he will player-own (apostrophes are for douches) Ryuuma. But, unlike Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy, I don't see how he will be able to take out tons of lower enemies at once.

Imitorar
June 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
But, unlike Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy, I don't see how he will be able to take out tons of lower enemies at once.
He probably won't be able to. I think he'll be a second-tier Straw Hat, like Robin, Franky, and Ussop, not Monster Trio, who can eliminate many enemies at once. Robin can too, but that's just due to the nature of her Devil Fruit. Swords aren't good for taking out multiple enemies, unless you're beyond human like Zoro.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 21, 2007, 05:11 AM
Brook CAN take out lots of lower enemies together, we saw it when he was telling his story. He quickly run between the zombies putting salt in their mouth. You think that putting salt in a zombie mouth is easier than slashing it with a sword?

Imitorar
June 21, 2007, 09:35 AM
Brook CAN take out lots of lower enemies together, we saw it when he was telling his story. He quickly run between the zombies putting salt in their mouth. You think that putting salt in a zombie mouth is easier than slashing it with a sword?

Ah, I'd forgotten about his skeleton speed, my mistake. And actually, I think that he was putting salt on the sword, then slashing them with the sword. Because in the panel when it shows him purifying all of those zombies in chapter 459, he had his sword drawn... and he was known as "The Humming Swordsman" so he must've been slashing them too... Although he didn't slash Talaran's mouth, so maybe he just slashed them to incapacitate them, then threw the salt at the same time... or maybe his sword wasn't supposed to be drawn in that panel and it was a mistake that will be fixed in the tankobon... but then why was Brook called "The Humming Swordsman"?... This has been bothering me for a while, and the best I could come up with was the "slashing to incapacitate" thing. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

EDIT: I just thought of this: Maybe by Talaran, he just slashed him, without throwing salt in separately, and that was the reason that Talaran wasn't purified immediately, because it took time for the salt to take effect. But by those other zombies, he DID slash into their mouths, and that makes sense, because there's no problem of "But he didn't slash Talaran in the mouth".

Limba Limba no Mi
June 21, 2007, 09:44 AM
(...)n why was Brook called "The Humming Swordsman"?... This has been bothering me for a while, and the best I could come up with was the "slashing to incapacitate" thing. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
(...)

Brook is the Huuming Swordsman because when he comes, before you see him, you hear him humming. Before he appears, he hums, he sings. He sings because he is scared of the zombies and because a song can make you think at something else, he sings to hide his fear. Then the zombies are scared of the terrible Humming Swordman who anticipates his presence with a song that is like a death requiem to them and then purifies them showing for an istant his scary skeleton face. That's so hilarious, both hunter and preys scared of each other! :D
Oda is simply a genius!

Imitorar
June 21, 2007, 10:02 AM
Brook is the Huuming Swordsman because when he comes, before you see him, you hear him humming. Before he appears, he hums, he sings. He sings because he is scared of the zombies and because a song can make you think at something else, he sings to hide his fear. Then the zombies are scared of the terrible Humming Swordman who anticipates his presence with a song that is like a death requiem to them and then purifies them showing for an istant his scary skeleton face. That's so hilarious, both hunter and preys scared of each other! :D
Oda is simply a genius!

Yes, yes he is. But you kind of missed my point. I wasn't questioning why Brook was called "The Humming Swordsman", I was questioning why he was called "The Humming Swordsman". I knew why he hummed, he said that straight out, I was just wondering why the zombies knew him as a swordsman if he just came and threw salt in their mouths, and he only fenced with Ryuuma.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yes, yes he is. But you kind of missed my point. I wasn't questioning why Brook was called "The Humming Swordsman", I was questioning why he was called "The Humming Swordsman". I knew why he hummed, he said that straight out, I was just wondering why the zombies knew him as a swordsman if he just came and threw salt in their mouths, and he only fenced with Ryuuma.

Swordsman because he fights with a sword and everybody can see it, i don't see why this is difficult to understand :p

Imitorar
June 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Swordsman because he fights with a sword and everybody can see it, i don't see why this is difficult to understand :p

If he was defeating the zombies by just throwing salt in their mouths without sword-fighting them, how would they know he fights with a sword? Unless he used both a sword and the salt, there is no reason for his name. I think I explained the problem clearly in my first post on the subject.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 21, 2007, 12:20 PM
If he was defeating the zombies by just throwing salt in their mouths without sword-fighting them, how would they know he fights with a sword? Unless he used both a sword and the salt, there is no reason for his name. I think I explained the problem clearly in my first post on the subject.

sorry didn't read carefully :P

I think simply that he MUST use his sword. Zombies are not morons that stay all the time with their mouth open waiting for someone that will put salt in. They can fight and defend themselves (or try to). And maybe the best way to make them open their mouth is a good old sword-slash pain scream. That's why I think Brook uses his sword and so they know he is a swordsman

Imitorar
June 21, 2007, 04:07 PM
sorry didn't read carefully :P

I think simply that he MUST use his sword. Zombies are not morons that stay all the time with their mouth open waiting for someone that will put salt in. They can fight and defend themselves (or try to). And maybe the best way to make them open their mouth is a good old sword-slash pain scream. That's why I think Brook uses his sword and so they know he is a swordsman

Yeah, but on the page where Brook is flashbacking to his first encounter with Ryuuma, it shows a horde of zombies purified by him, and there was almost no bleeding. Just one had a bit smeared by his mouth. And the first time you see Brook purifying zombies, there was also no blood bursting from their bodies. Or at least, I think so, it was sort of hard to tell if those were flecks of blood or shadow. When the anime covers this part of the manga, I'm going to make sure to check it. And the zombies wouldn't have time to defend themselves, Brook said he'd go and do it as fast as possible with the "speed of a skeleton", which I assume means that he can go faster then normal, because his body is just bones, which are relatively light, and he doesn't have to worry about damaging his body unless his bones shatter or break.

Paz42
June 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
well he is obviously fast as he can run on water and thats another reason he should join he would be a speedster and be able to keep up with the fast fat guy from shanks crew maybe so there is that

But somthing i have to say is that i can not wait for this whole arc to come in the anime brooke oz the zombies hogback moria all of it cant wait o and robins arm angel wing type techniquer that was cool

Impel Down
June 21, 2007, 08:53 PM
The arm-wings will look really cool. Although, we're going to have to go to Filler Bark before we go to Thriller Bark anime-wise (I am very proud of myself for making that up). But, Brook wasn't really "super fast", he just had to run on the water to stay afloat, and he could run because of his light body. In regular running, I doubt he's like auto-soru.

Imitorar
June 21, 2007, 11:09 PM
The arm-wings will look really cool. Although, we're going to have to go to Filler Bark before we go to Thriller Bark anime-wise (I am very proud of myself for making that up). But, Brook wasn't really "super fast", he just had to run on the water to stay afloat, and he could run because of his light body. In regular running, I doubt he's like auto-soru.

Yeah, nice word-play. And he isn't exactly Soru fast, but he's fast. Remember, he purified all of those zombies before they even noticed anything, and there were at least 5 of them, I think. He also got rid of Talaran in one slash so fast nobody could see it.

neild
June 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
hm recently i found another reason against brook joining.in terms of strength, he is probably, i repeat probably, so dont go hard on me, only stronger than nami,ussop, and chopper.unreliable in combat

yoniekai
June 22, 2007, 09:21 AM
well nami and ussop attacks depend on the terrain, and with the right terrain they're unstoppable. and chopper is freaking wicked when he goes berserk mode. but you're right, brooke is stronger than them in terms of standard fighting. i think he's stronger than franky too, cause he's much faster.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
hm recently i found another reason against brook joining.in terms of strength, he is probably, i repeat probably, so dont go hard on me, only stronger than nami,ussop, and chopper.unreliable in combat

not a valid reason.
even if what you say is true, then nami usop and chopper should leave the crew. now.
luffy doesn't choose nakamas by their strength. It would be stupid.

Imitorar
June 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
well nami and ussop attacks depend on the terrain, and with the right terrain they're unstoppable. and chopper is freaking wicked when he goes berserk mode. but you're right, brooke is stronger than them in terms of standard fighting. i think he's stronger than franky too, cause he's much faster.

But Franky is loaded with weapons and special abilities, plus, he's practically invulnerable, at least from the front. Brook will be a second level Straw Hat, around equal with Robin, Franky, and Chopper. Nami and Ussop are lower then those three. Chopper was once about Ussop's level, back in Alabasta (and I think that Ussop is stronger then Nami, because his attacks are very creative, and he designed her weapon for her anyway. And since his attacks are unpredictable and unique, they're very hard to defend against. Nami's are too, but at least you know to expect weather, whereasd with Ussop, you don't really know what to expect. And Sogeking DOES have a higher bounty then Nami), but he's gotten alot better, certainly equal to Robin or Franky. He has a Devil Fruit, he knows how to use it very well, and Horn and Arm points are pretty strong.

Impel Down
June 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
Nami is only bottom level because she never truly fights. In a real-deal fight, she kicks a fair amount of ass. And I think that Franky is at Sanji-level, but he's just not as big a fighter as he is. So, yeah, I'd have to put Brook with Robin and Franky at this point. Whether or not he could beat Franky...I'd have to think about. Shooting him doesn't seem like it would have any effect, since stabbing him didn't. So, I guess now we have three bullet-proof Mugiwaras, which is always cool. I dunno, we'll have to keep a lookout on how he does in his fight with Ryuuma to fully gauge his power, even if he can't, because he has no eyes. Skull Joke!

Imitorar
June 22, 2007, 04:30 PM
Nami is only bottom level because she never truly fights. In a real-deal fight, she kicks a fair amount of ass. And I think that Franky is at Sanji-level, but he's just not as big a fighter as he is. So, yeah, I'd have to put Brook with Robin and Franky at this point. Whether or not he could beat Franky...I'd have to think about. Shooting him doesn't seem like it would have any effect, since stabbing him didn't. So, I guess now we have three bullet-proof Mugiwaras, which is always cool. I dunno, we'll have to keep a lookout on how he does in his fight with Ryuuma to fully gauge his power, even if he can't, because he has no eyes. Skull Joke!

Ussop fights well too. He was holding his own against LUFFY for a while. I doubt Nami could do that. And are you implying that Zoro is stronger then Sanji? The Sanji fans won't be pleased! INCLUDING ME! Jk, sort of. But I don't think the Monster Trio can be rated, except that Luffy's the strongest. Sanji may seem to be weaker then Zoro, but Zoro uses weapons, Sanji uses his bare hands. Though Zoro is fine without weapons (example: the Davy Back Fight) and Sanji is fine WITH weapons (example: his fight wiht Wanze, a.k.a. "The Creepy Ramen Guy".) So I'd say that Sanji and Zoro are more or less equal in strength.

Please, stay on topic.

Impel Down
June 22, 2007, 07:12 PM
According to Oda's blue or red books, which ever the fuck it was, Zoro and Luffy's power was 6, while Sanji's was 5. I'd put Brook at 4-5. Franky's a definite 5.

vemynal
June 22, 2007, 09:10 PM
If i have to I will go to Japan and beg on my knees to Oda to let Brook join.

HE'S MY FAVORITE! PLZ LET HIM JOIN!

(I'm obsessed w/ all Halloween type stuff^^ so a musician skeleton swordsman that uses a cane is so pwn imo^^)

Impel Down
June 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
I think one of the main reasons having Brook will be great is that he will suck at playing, and only Luffy likes him. That would be the ultimate, and maybe he and Franky can have concerts.

Anti-panda
June 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
Nope Brooke was a musician on another ship entirely .. he will be great and he will Make his own instruments ...
No one of luffy's crew suck at thier postion ..
Luffy ... I'm not even gonna argue but he gets stuff done when neccessary.
Zoro.. .Badass swordsman
Nami.. excelent Navigator.
Ussop.. excelent marksman all around handy guy
Sanji.. Excelent cook. Questionable perversion.
Chopper... Hes a great doctor ...http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z174/antipanda1/chopper2.gif
Robin .. Great archeologist and all around super babe
Franky .. Supaaa Hentai Cyborg... and great shipwright

So I doubt brooke will suck .. if that were the case Luffy could've just made Franky his musician.

Impel Down
June 23, 2007, 08:30 PM
He'll suck to everyone BUT Luffy. How about that? And it seemed that everyone on his last ship was a musician, so he wouldn't be THE musician for the crew. Plus, it would be good to have him on in general, because he IS Hanauta, after all.

gao_dargon
June 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
the only reasons i see against him joining is 1º well he is a swordsman, and having 2 would be a conflict (at least for me)
2º he is laboons nakama, as soon as he gets his shadow back he has to go back to laboon, and i dont think the straw hats r going all the way back(but since oda sensei is crazy this might actually hapen -.-U)

Impel Down
June 23, 2007, 09:26 PM
Geez, all the "going back" theories. The crew is going to the same place that Brook is trying to get to, so it would be a hell of a lot easier if he went with them.

Imitorar
June 23, 2007, 11:10 PM
Wait, Franky as a musician? When did we see Franky playing music? If he could, then Luffy wouldn't still have been on his musician kick. He wouldn't need two...

gao_dargon
June 24, 2007, 01:19 AM
Geez, all the "going back" theories. The crew is going to the same place that Brook is trying to get to, so it would be a hell of a lot easier if he went with them.

do u have a problem with my coment on him "going back"? cuz if u do have problems with "theories" and "i thinks" or "could it be" ur in the wrong place my friend,back on topic they r not going to the same place, why would the straw hats wanna go back? the red line is a CIRCLE with laboon bieng in the other side of this circle, the only way brook is goin on the same direction as the straw hat is only if he wants to get there just to go all the way around wich i think is just plain stupid,and if he is willing to do that,then brook would only be a temporary crew member like VV was, i might be worng and im open for someone(in a polite maner) to correct me,also im not saing i do not want him to join,in fact i would like it cuz he is a funny guy...well skelleton and he has a fro for gods sakes whats more awsome than that? i just pointed the 2 things that acording to my way of thinking are against him

Impel Down
June 24, 2007, 08:51 AM
Well, he can't really go backwards. That's how pirates get killed, trying to flee the Grand Line. Plus, if he's with the SHs, who plan to meet Laboon after they finish their voyage as well, then he'd have food, a place to live, whatnot.

gao_dargon
June 24, 2007, 09:35 AM
that not exactly how they get killed,they get killed IN the grandline, fleeing is just has hard as being there,and besides going further is even harder,the new world is at least twise as hard as the 1º half

Impel Down
June 24, 2007, 11:16 AM
At least in the New World they can actually go forward, and Shanks MAY protect them. And they said that lots of pirates die fleeing the GL, because they either get lost because they don't have a log pose that goes backwards, or they get stuck in the calm belt and Sea Kings kill them.

gao_dargon
June 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
and how is it that brook knows that shanks can protect them?? and i dont think that luffy would be "shanks shanks pleas fight the bad guys for me im to scared" shanks is in fact a rival pirate, and i bet he will fight luffy to test him,but that is my theorie and of topic, the thing is that when ppl say brook might (and i said MIGHT) turn back they have a very valid and solid point,also you can get a log pose to go back, the navy does it all the time, at leas smoker,we know for a fact that he has come and go from the grand line several times before, crist even buggy has enter and then leave the grand line, and i have a feeling that Brook is stronger thatn Buggy

Impel Down
June 24, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm not saying that he does know, I'm saying that that could make the New World a little easier. And I do not think that he will turn back at all. And to your 1st point as to why he won't join, he and Zoro are completely different kinds of swordsmen. Zoro is a samurai-type who slashes, while Brook fences more, plus, Brook's dream isn't to become the greatest swordsman, just to find Laboon.

gao_dargon
June 24, 2007, 11:34 AM
diferent stiles or not he is still a swordsman, im not saing that u can only have one and thats it, in fact allmoust all every pirate had a sword,or an axe, im just saing that it would be wird not that it bothers me,as i said before i am pro Brook, again im just saing the things that are against him wich are 2 mayor things

Impel Down
June 24, 2007, 12:01 PM
well, agreed, those are the only reasons I can think of that someone says they wouldn't want him for, other than racism.

gao_dargon
June 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
hahahaha racism? how can anyone be racist with a skelleton guy cuz thats preaty messt up dude if u ask me haha,but aye douse are the only 2 reasons i can think of,and the pro reasons are lot, he is a musician,(who hapend to play violin wich i said would be the straw hats instrument,) he is very funny, he is a very loyal nakama for what we know, he is a skilled fighter, and he drinks tea or coffe or whatever but he drinks even do he does not have a throat so aye, i would like him to join, we just have to wait and see

Absolutio
June 25, 2007, 05:56 AM
about the swordsman thingie, against brooke joining the crew.
I said this earlier, if Zoro beats Ryuuma (Brooke's shadow) like I think he will, He will actually defeat a stronger brooke, so it won't matter if Brooke's a swordsman, coz Zoro is a better one, so their dreams won't collide.

gao_dargon
June 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
that true,but what i meant by saying the swordman thing is like now we are going to have 2 sword fights and all,again not saing that thats a bad thing its just...wierd? i dont know how to explain myself her but i think u get the point

Limba Limba no Mi
June 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
if the problem is that brook fights with the sword and also zoro does, thenm even sanji should leave the crew cause even luffy fights without weapons and can use kicks.
there's no point against brook, Luffy already decided to have him as a nakama (and you know Luffy) and also Oda did too. Brook will join the crew even if you don't like it and that will be TOO COOL!!!! AHAHAHAH!!!!!!

Impel Down
June 25, 2007, 01:45 PM
Not to mention that everyone who makes reasons for him not to join still wants him to join, but who can blame them? Brook became my second favorite character after one chapter, and his popularity with the world has only soared since then.

gao_dargon
June 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
if the problem is that brook fights with the sword and also zoro does, thenm even sanji should leave the crew cause even luffy fights without weapons and can use kicks.
there's no point against brook, Luffy already decided to have him as a nakama (and you know Luffy) and also Oda did too. Brook will join the crew even if you don't like it and that will be TOO COOL!!!! AHAHAHAH!!!!!!

emmm... no? cuz sanji spesilises in a style of fighting,some sort of capoeira with only kicks,and luffy is an all going melle, and if u say that Brook and Zoro use diferent styles of fighting,well for me swordmanship is sowrdmanship get it? but sure IF he joins thats gonna be TOO COOL!!! (

Impel Down
June 25, 2007, 08:07 PM
Plus, he can do amazing dive bomb sword attacks. That's what I want to see him do against Ryuuma: jump supa high in the air and deliever justice from above.

Limba Limba no Mi
June 26, 2007, 03:36 AM
emmm... no? cuz sanji spesilises in a style of fighting,some sort of capoeira with only kicks,and luffy is an all going melle, and if u say that Brook and Zoro use diferent styles of fighting,well for me swordmanship is sowrdmanship get it? but sure IF he joins thats gonna be TOO COOL!!! (

But their styiles ARE differents! Like Luffy fighting and sanji's kicks!
swordmanship is NOT swordmanship, if you'd know just a bit of kung fu you'd understand there are hundreds or thousands of sword fighting styles, and there are also thousands of different types of sword. Zoro's swords are katana (three katanas), brook has got a straight sword, also a thin one that can be hided in a walking staff.
The style is different not only in the number of swords, not only in the type of blades, not only in the moves! Zoro's style is a typical japanese style, a mix between samurai and ninjas way of swordfighting with katanas, using heavy blade smashes, invisible flash slashes Kihai style, distance shots of blade ki energy. Brook's way of fight is light as he is, he's more similar to occidental fence and he uses his skeleton speed and agility more then his strength.

AND THERE'S NOTHING WEIRD IN TWO SWORDFIGHTERS IN THE SAME CREW! THAT'S WHAT MOST OF THE PEOPLE MUST UNDERSTAND!

There isn't absolutely no need to shout. Behave yourself guys.

gao_dargon
June 26, 2007, 06:38 AM
look dude if u feel so bad about me shering my though well thats ur problem not mine,and as i said before (if u took time reading the whole thread then u allready know) i said that alot of real time pirates crews have alot of swordsmen,and im not the only one that said the conflict betwen swords,but i heard somewere that if u wish something with all your heart it will come ture so why dont you try that and well see how that works out for ya hu?.....¬¬

Limba Limba no Mi
June 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
Sorry didn't intend to be aggressive, I've been misunderstood cause I didn't explain good (I'm italian and my english is no good so I speak simply ^^" )

Very sorry didn't mean to hurt your sensibility, I've got nothing against you or anybody else, just forgive my simple (and direct) way of talking.
Hope not to hurt you

gao_dargon
June 26, 2007, 12:56 PM
its ok =D i have problems with my english to (as u can see) lets forget about that and stay on topic shall we? (next time lets send each other pm so the moderators dont have to get ur atention ^^) well,i cant say any other reason for him not to join,and i would love if he do,but my gut tells me he wont (hope im wrong here) and im trying to look for reasons he wonts so that i can undersatand if he doesnt join, get me? but thouse 2 were the only 2 reasonable things i could think so,anyone esle has reasons for him NOT to join? (i ask reason for not, cuz cleary everyone of us has reasons for him TO join)

Peg
July 09, 2007, 09:58 AM
I think !

Reason why he is not going to join :

1. Going to the begining of GrandLine for lagoon
2. Zorro going to take his katana (one of the 21......)

weixiaobao
July 09, 2007, 03:52 PM
I think !

Reason why he is not going to join :

1. Going to the begining of GrandLine for lagoon
2. Zorro going to take his katana (one of the 21......)

^^ reason one failed.. cuzz his promise was to meet laboon after his crew sailed around the grand line

^^ reason two failed cuzz the sword belong to his shadow (the legendary samurai) and not his... i think i maybe wrong though..

^^ Nice try..

sahugani
July 09, 2007, 04:51 PM
One of the big arguements for his recruitment is that his crew promised to sail around the world and meet with him again, but there is a flaw in that reason. true that was the promise that the crew made to Laboon initially, but when the crew died and Brooke was left to wander alone, his intentions changed. the most important thing to him is not to fulfill the original promise, but to apologize to Laboon for being away so long.

and yes the sword is the property of Ryuuma's body and was not taken from Brooke. as a samurai in his former life (and a famous one at that), it is only natural for Ryuuma to have a katana (and a meitou would be natural for a samurai of his caliber while alive). Brooke's style is more of a western rapier style, so we can assume that Brooke would have always used a rapier type blade like the one he uses now

as for the multitude of other reasons, i've restated them enough. just look through my couple posts here and my reviews to see my various reasons why i don't believe Brooke will join

rodis3d
July 10, 2007, 03:26 AM
have you ever noticed how many traits Brook shares with aokiji? very tall, perverted (aokiji too tried to flirt with nami, the first time he met them), similiar hair, gentleman appearance.
i think aokiji could really be brook's son/grandson and brook's disappearing might even be the reason aokiji (that's not his real name, in the ohara flashback they called him something like akuzu) became a marine. most important is that brook, being only bones, with no body fluids, could be immune to freezing, and could therefore be the only one who can hold aokiji back.

Absolutio
July 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
how can he be immune to freezing? Bones can freeze too..

ryusuke_
July 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
It's a shonen, there has not to be realistic/scientific reasons for everything :P

Impel Down
July 10, 2007, 08:48 PM
Brook needs to find an opponent or not die soon, or else I don't think he'll be able to join. And how could just being hit make his body stop against Ryuuma? He's just a skeleton...

IgnorantSage
August 09, 2007, 01:16 AM
aokiji (that's not his real name, in the ohara flashback they called him something like akuzu)

It was Kuzan.
And I don't think that Brooke has anything to do with Aokiji, they are just both cool guys with afros.

matrice
August 09, 2007, 06:09 AM
I can't really see any big reason against Brook joining the crew: he is the whale's friend, he doesn't have another place to go and wants to have nakama, he is a musician and Luffy wants a musician pratically from the beginning of the manga. He is a swordsman too, so he can train with Zoro (I think Zoro would like someone that can train with him, sice he is obsessed with training). I don't think that the fact that he is a swordsman too is a big deal: he use a stile that is totally different from Zoro's. He can use tacniques using if light weight to his advantage and so on. Plus his aspect open the way to a lot of gags when they meet someone outside the crew. the last thing is that we don't know where Brook ship is right now since he was taken in with Luffy's ship, so the only way he has in order to escape thriller-bark is with Luffy's crew and ship (when Moria will release the shadows the zombies will all become useless corpses and no one will be left to drive Moria's ship -I don't think a single person can drive it since it is uge-).

Impel Down
August 09, 2007, 12:09 PM
The way the Ryuuma/Zoro fight is going, it's making Brook's chances of joining very...strange. I'm even thinking about the possibility that Brook dies this arc, and Luffy just brings his skull and afro to Laboon.

Imitorar
August 09, 2007, 10:06 PM
The way the Ryuuma/Zoro fight is going, it's making Brook's chances of joining very...strange. I'm even thinking about the possibility that Brook dies this arc, and Luffy just brings his skull and afro to Laboon.

Dude, this is One Piece, remember? Stuff like that doesn't happen in One Piece. Oda-sensei has said (I don't remember which SBS, somewhere before volume 10's SBS, I'm pretty sure of that) that he doesn't like killing characters off. Brook died once before, he won't again. One Piece is about achieving your dreams, not dying and leaving them unfulfilled. I think the matter is now one of whether or not he wants the companionship of the Straw Hats and to fulfill the original promise to Laboon so much that he joins (and Luffy may convince Brook that Laboon would WANT him to fulfill the original promise. Remember, Brook doesn't know that Laboon is still waiting, only Luffy, Ussop, Sanji, and Zoro do, and that might affect Brook's decision) or whether he wants to meet up with Laboon so much that he goes back through the Grand Line. Personally, I think the first option, where Luffy convinces Brook that Laboon would want him to join the Straw Hats and fulfill the original promise. Although I'm not sure how they're going to hide Brook whenever they meet someone in the future. I doubt random island people are going to take Brook well, if Ussop and Chopper were any indication.

Impel Down
August 09, 2007, 10:47 PM
I know that, but...doesn't Oda like to challenge the reader? Besides, he already killed Brook off, he COULD do it again. Now, of course, I know it's a bit unrational, but I just see it as a last-ditch effort. He needs to find himself an opponent and quick if he's gonna have any hopes of being an SH.