PDA

View Full Version : Bleach 274 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
May 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
274. The Monster

So, yeah. Basically, this was just as transitional as last week.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Ishida has a plan, even though his powers have been suppressed. But Kubo should've given us time to let it sink in—it felt rushed, as if out of fear that we’d be bored with seeing Ishida struggle the same way Renji did. Personally, I think it was called for, since I wasn’t expecting Ishida to come up with something that quickly. Those capsules didn’t do shit to the lowly Arrancar from before, after all.

Maybe we'll see something brand new? I certainly hope so.

On Orihime’s powers, I’ve already said her ability to revive doesn’t sit well with me, regardless of the implications that it was possible. After all, it’s possible that Ichigo could be stronger than Aizen now, but that would make for terrible writing on Kubo’s part. I really want to see how he’s going to keep this from becoming a DBZ-type deal. Here’s my idea:

In 226 (The Right of The Heart), Hacchi said it was amazing that Orihime could still be human and pass through his barrier, even though they have similar powers. So my guess is that, like Chad, Orihime's powers are Hollow based, since every soul has the potential to become a Hollow and it'd be ridiculous if she had Quincy or Shinigami powers.

My idea for the restriction would be that using her powers makes her increasingly Hollow-ish, and that the bigger the event she rejects, the faster that Hollowfication process occurs. But without a Shinigami or Quincy side to repress it, she'd be much more susceptible to becoming a full Hollow instead of a Hybrid (like a Vaizard or something). That would force her to restrict the use of her powers more after every usage, so using it as a way to bring back casualties during the War would be out of the question.

I could see her giving up her humanity and letting Ichigo kill her to revive him, though.

But, to be frank, there wasn’t much to speak of in this chapter. We still haven’t gotten any info on who Noritora went after, what happened to Ichigo, what the other Espada are doing or what Grimmjow is after. I would’ve much rather seen progress on one of those fronts than the ones Kubo decided to address, which made the chapter seem pretty boring. Hopefully, we'll see something different next week.

Rating – 3 out of 5 (Decent)

Quartz-pebble
May 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
First off, what a lame chapter this was. Barely seems to count as one. Anyhoo.

I agree with you that Orihime god powers are lame, but I'm curious to see where it's going.

I'm pretty sure that Ishida and Renji are still fucking screwed. I mean Apollo just took what, Ishida's most powerful attack to date right in the throat? The fact that he has them both analyzed seems to tell me that there's not much more they can do beside running, or using the other arrancar/terrain against him.

gigantor21
May 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
^I agree on all 3 counts.

It feels like Kubo is stalling because he doesn't know where to go next. Hell, it's felt like that throughout the entire arc, if not since the end of the SS-Arc. It's been hard getting these reviews out because I've been so uninterested in the series as a whole. And when I am interested, it's often because of something that I either didn't like, or ended up hating in retrospect.

I just want the War to start. I really, really do.

Quartz-pebble
May 11, 2007, 07:50 PM
Heh, stalling seems pretty likely. This arc has been kinda fun, but it's really, REALLY, starting to lag now. Rukia's fight was probably the highlight so far, but I've been getting repeatedly uninterested since then.

..And yeah, what we need now is a good'ol arc's worth of ass-kicking. :P

gigantor21
May 11, 2007, 07:56 PM
^Yeah, definitely. Some heavy doses of ownage are in order.

I can't belive Renji's been fighting Zaeru for nearly 3 months, and neither of them have gotten beaten yet. I really hope that Kubo wraps this up soon, because I'm tired of seeing Renji smacked around.

Quartz-pebble
May 11, 2007, 08:02 PM
^Yeah, definitely. Some heavy doses of ownage are in order.

I can't belive Renji's been fighting Zaeru for nearly 3 months, and neither of them have gotten beaten yet. I really hope that Kubo wraps this up soon, because I'm tired of seeing Renji smacked around.

He's going to have to. Ichigo's down. Chad's down. Rukia's down. Renji's half dead, and Ishida's running out of luck. Even if they escape Apollo, there's no way that the two of them can carry the other three out to safety, let alone -find- them. Either Urahara and/or Shinji will pull them out, or Aizen's going to kick them out.

gigantor21
May 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
^That's what I'd think. I doubt Urahara and Shinji would go together, though. Seeing Urahara, Yourichi and Isshin go to HM and save them would be awesome--and if Kubo still wants to keep Isshin's power's from Ichigo till later, it'd be easy (since Ichigo's out of commission). Not only that, but we'd get a chance to see Isshin's Shikai and (just maybe) Urahara's Bankai in action as they fight their way out.

I 'd much rather see that than more of Ichigo and co. floundering around.

Quartz-pebble
May 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
^That's what I'd think. I doubt Urahara and Shinji would go together, though. Seeing Urahara, Yourichi and Isshin go to HM and save them would be awesome--and if Kubo still wants to keep Isshin's power's from Ichigo till later, it'd be easy (since Ichigo's out of commission). Not only that, but we'd get a chance to see Isshin's Shikai and (just maybe) Urahara's Bankai in action as they fight their way out.

I 'd much rather see that than more of Ichigo and co. floundering around.

Agreed on both counts. :)

kiddo7
May 11, 2007, 08:31 PM
No comment on the particulars of her powers, but I actually liked the part with orihime. In this arc the scenes with her tend to be the more interesting ones, if somewhat predictable (I knew she was going to heal the two girls that "hazed" her, though I will admit, I did not actually anticipate the "hazing" itself) I am most interested to see what Grimjaw has in mind for her. Where does he not want to go with her looking like that? is he taking her to a ball? don't tell me he could not find a date among his own kind?

On the other hand though, I have had this slightly off feeling for a while especially when it comes to our white knight (Uryuu, in case you where wondering). Did he not promise not never have anything to do with shinigami again? I mean I can kinda understand and accept the tiny loop hole he found Ichigo being a substitute and Soul society not sanctioning this little field trip and what not. But all that kinda fades to the background If he comes to the rescue of not only a fully fledged shinigami but a vice captain, none the less. Even more so, when he openly admits to join forces with said vice captain. Now I don't know much about the Japanese language and I am perfectly willing to accept that some of the meaning could have been changed or lost in translation. But in English, "not having anything to do with" and "rescuing/joining forces with" are are pretty much mutually exclusive.
BUt then again maybe this is only me being too anal about the wording. I don't know, srsly!!!!11oneoneone

gigantor21
May 11, 2007, 09:34 PM
Agreed on both counts. :)

Thanks.

Kiddo7 - In regards to Uryuu, I don't think he or his father care anymore. Ryuuken knew Ishida would go off on his own, and Ishida probably just made up that story for teaming with Ichigo to give himself leverage. But despite his coarseness, I think he'd put helping out a friend over his Dad's wishes, and the best way to do that would be fighting with the rest of the group.

And I agree on Orihime, but I can't shake how much her powers bother me now. I feel like it would've been much more effective if Inoue had tried to heal them, then tearfully realized she can't reject that much. Then Grimmjow could've asked if she'd finished indulging in her childish fantasies while dragging her out the room, and we all got a sense that there's only so much she can do with her powers.

I just didn't see why Kubo threw this in, when the importance of her powers has already been established.

Istaria
May 12, 2007, 03:35 AM
i kinda agree as well

yeah it did feel really rushed ... normally there'd be some sort of buildup like some cocky exchange, and then "BAM ishida is gonna use his secret weapon!!!" but this, it just jumped straight in, and that impact/cool-factor got lost. also made me kinda sceptical as to how they're gonna get out of this one, seeing as, between ishida and renji theres only 1 brain and 1 brawn.

i thought orihime bit was interesting ... its like she's lost herself completely, and just automatically heals whoever/whatever's broken/hurt in front of her regardless of wats happening. i just hope she doesnt become the undo/control+Z button from now on and actually have some sort of development character-wise...

Luckas
May 12, 2007, 05:38 AM
But are we sure the damage done the second arrancar healed girl was so big that Orihime healing her make her powers godlike?

gigantor21
May 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
^Well, yeah. Menoli's upper body was completely disintegrated. You can't heal stuff that doesn't exist anymore without God-like powers.

Istaria - I think that part tied in well with Ulquiorra's psychological restructuring, which Sahugani alluded to a while ago. It's like Orihime felt that she didn't have any say in what happens beyond healing people, even if they were torturing her. I feel that Orihime isn't going to get out of this without some emotional scarring--and while it hurts to say this, I'm sure it'll make the series interesting again.

kiddo7
May 12, 2007, 03:42 PM
^Well, yeah. Menoli's upper body was completely disintegrated. You can't heal stuff that doesn't exist anymore without God-like powers.

But how is that any different from healing grimjaw's disintegrated- choped off hand? we already knew she had these powers before, why the outrage now?

gigantor21
May 12, 2007, 04:27 PM
^Simple. Rejecting dismemberment is one thing; rejecting death is entirely different. It'd be perfectly fine if she could only use her powers to heal wounds that weren't instantly fatal, but Kubo apparently thought other-wise.

At the very least, I hope she doesn't get the chance to do that again for a while.

Ava
May 13, 2007, 03:28 AM
First, thanks for the review. :D

Second. The chapter was unfortunately boring. Again. Maybe it's just me not being very fond of Ishida - he has this incredible talent of annoying readers... I don't hate him or anything, I just find the way he talks/ things he says stupid & annoying. :D On the bright side, there was no "I swear on the Quincy's pride" in this chapter. All we saw was yet another attack proved useless in the Ishida&Renji vs. Zaer (or should I say Szayel? the name sounds pretty weird imo) struggle and the promise of a plan. I hope the plan works. I'm tired of seeing our heroes barely defeating the espada and ending up nearly dead (or maybe dead for real, I still don't know what happened to poor Rukia) or getting owned without inflicting any damage on them (Chad & Ichigo).

Third. Inoue has become too powerful. Now she can just go and fix good ol' Aaronirro and all the privaron like they were new. Of course, this also means she will be able to bring Rukia back as well, but it's still a bit absurd. We still have no clue about GJ's objective. It sure isn't taking Orihime to heal Ichigo, that would be too stupid and disappointing. So that is something to look forward to. But not in the next chapter, probably.

As for Noitora, he seems to be after someone we haven't yet met (in this arc), since all of our heroes are getting owned by weaker espada, so he has no reasons to go after any of them. Maybe someone else has come to the rescue in HM - maybe Zaraki&co, don't you think it would be nice? Zaraki wouldn't give a damn about what Yamamoto says if he's in for some good fighting. But this is getting way too random. :D Let's wait and pray Kubo hasn't completely forgotten about Noitora.

gigantor21
May 13, 2007, 09:59 AM
^ I agree on all points.

I've never felt much of anything for Ishida, because he's too much like Sasuke. Compared to, say, Yachiru or Chizuru, Ishida is rather uninspired for a Bleach character. I like seeing his skills as a tactician, but that's about it. I also hope that they'll let him and Renji win, or at least escape, without any more damage then they already have. But I'm not expecting them to beat him even if they undo the seal, to be honest, because he still has yet to release.

Inoue's ressurection ability bothers me, especially because she's my second favorite character (behind Chad). I never even thought of Aizen using her powers to bring A'Roniro back, which would be horrible because it would negate Rukia's win (the only thing I like about that fight). But that's a serious possibility now, which just goes to show how big of a can of worms Kubo has opened up. If Aizen figured she could do this, then there's no way in hell he'll let her go back.

I'd love to see Zaraki show up, but only if he knows the name of his sword. It's already in constant Shikai like Ichigo's, so he just has to figure out what powers it has.

Ava
May 14, 2007, 12:19 AM
^ I agree on all points.

Yay! Thank you! :D

I've never felt much of anything for Ishida, because he's too much like Sasuke. Compared to, say, Yachiru or Chizuru, Ishida is rather uninspired for a Bleach character. I like seeing his skills as a tactician, but that's about it. I also hope that they'll let him and Renji win, or at least escape, without any more damage then they already have. But I'm not expecting them to beat him even if they undo the seal, to be honest, because he still has yet to release.

Well, I've never thought much about the similarities between Ishida and Sasuke. Now that I think more about it, it does ring true... It's just that Ishida has some very exaggerated aspects. He is indeed extremely funny sometimes (that's why I don't completely hate him, he is just too good for comic relief), but he's annoying most of the time when he tries to act serious.

Inoue's ressurection ability bothers me, especially because she's my second favorite character (behind Chad). I never even thought of Aizen using her powers to bring A'Roniro back, which would be horrible because it would negate Rukia's win (the only thing I like about that fight). But that's a serious possibility now, which just goes to show how big of a can of worms Kubo has opened up. If Aizen figured she could do this, then there's no way in hell he'll let her go back.

I really don't think Aizen would bother to bring a pathetic weakling such as A'Roniro back and Kubo isn't that stupid to take such a catastrophic decision. All the fans would hate him if he did that. I was just saying that hypothetically. If Aizen found out about Inoue's ability to revive spiritual beings, I'm sure he'd use it one way or another - perhaps for restoring his Espada during the war.

I'd love to see Zaraki show up, but only if he knows the name of his sword. It's already in constant Shikai like Ichigo's, so he just has to figure out what powers it has.

Is it really? I don't remember that being said anywhere... I thought Zaraki's sword wasn't released. Anyway, I really don't like the fact that Kubo didn't do anything about him yet. He seems to have completly forgotten about Zaraki's decision to work harder and improve his abilities. I fear he just threw that in randomly. And then there is the issue with Tatsuki,Keigo and Mizuiro. They all went to Urahara's, they've seen their friends leaving to HM, I expected them to do something. Still, nothing happened. It's really annoying to have so much teasing and not get any satisfaction out of it.

woody_green
May 14, 2007, 12:55 AM
It's really annoying to have so much teasing and not get any satisfaction out of it.

Indeed. I want the war to start! I still have to watch the other captains' Bankais!! :)

Byakuya sent Rukia and Renji to HM, right? So I'm guessing that he, Isshin, Urahara, Yoruichi, and another one (either Kenpachi or Shinji) would come after them. And I also think that this operation would be unsuccessful. Either the group would not reach Orihime, or they will reach her but she will refuse to go with them, because she knows that she needs to be as close to the Hougyokou as possible.

Anyway, this chapter made me want for more, but like most of you said, Zaeru vs. Ishida&Renji is starting to bore me.

gigantor21
May 14, 2007, 08:48 AM
Yay! Thank you! :D

You're very welcome!

Well, I've never thought much about the similarities between Ishida and Sasuke. Now that I think more about it, it does ring true... It's just that Ishida has some very exaggerated aspects. He is indeed extremely funny sometimes (that's why I don't completely hate him, he is just too good for comic relief), but he's annoying most of the time when he tries to act serious.

I think the main reason for that is how vestigal he's become as a main character. Sahugani put it best when he said that not killing Mayuri basically knocked him down to a second-tier character, in terms of importance to the story. "Quincy pride" doesn't seem like much when he wasn't able to beat his clan's exterminator.

I really don't think Aizen would bother to bring a pathetic weakling such as A'Roniro back and Kubo isn't that stupid to take such a catastrophic decision. All the fans would hate him if he did that. I was just saying that hypothetically. If Aizen found out about Inoue's ability to revive spiritual beings, I'm sure he'd use it one way or another - perhaps for restoring his Espada during the war.

Yeah, I know. But the possibility is definitely there, among several others--which is why I don't like it. Whichever side has that ability would basically have an infinite level of good soldiers, since they could all be brought back whenever. We haven't seen any limits on the number of times Orihime could restore something.

You know what'd be cool? If the rejection of huge events like death were only temporary. That way, there's be a clear stoppage on how much Inoue could do, and the Hougyoku's forced completion could eventually be reversed. At the same time, though, the Hougyoku couldn't be denied out of existance, so it'd be a double edged sword.

Is it really? I don't remember that being said anywhere... I thought Zaraki's sword wasn't released. Anyway, I really don't like the fact that Kubo didn't do anything about him yet. He seems to have completly forgotten about Zaraki's decision to work harder and improve his abilities. I fear he just threw that in randomly. And then there is the issue with Tatsuki,Keigo and Mizuiro. They all went to Urahara's, they've seen their friends leaving to HM, I expected them to do something. Still, nothing happened. It's really annoying to have so much teasing and not get any satisfaction out of it.

It was in one of the databooks (from what I've heard).

And I think that Kubo either hasn't had the time to come up with a good release, or he just doesn't have confidence in the ideas he does have. I'd like to say he's just waiting to spring it on us at the right time, but the series has felt so rushed since the SS-Arc that I don't think he's planned very far ahead.

That's why I don't think he'll show up to save Ichigo and co.

Quartz-pebble
May 14, 2007, 09:01 AM
^ I agree on all points.

I never even thought of Aizen using her powers to bring A'Roniro back, which would be horrible because it would negate Rukia's win (the only thing I like about that fight).

Neither did I. That would be one rather large kick to the balls, and, as you said, render a good part of this arc moot.

And for the record, A'Roniro wasn't a "pathetic weakling", just really stupid. I still say that was the greatest cheap shot in history. :P

gigantor21
May 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
^Agreed. I wouldn't say it was a cheap shot, but it was by far the lamest ending to a fight in the whole series. Kubo could've done better, and I'm not going to defer to my love of Rukia to deny it.

Anyway, it'd be impossible at this point for Kubo to gloss over Orihime, and all the avenues I can think of are either cliche'd, lame, or render the ability pointless. So my only hope is that Kubo can think of something that I haven't picked up on yet, and run with it.

yanniv
May 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
I believe we are just kinda of frustrated because golden week took place and we had to wait two weeks for a manga that isn't just about to reveal information that we do desperately want to know.

Like I said in another post, Grimmjow is probably going to use Orihime to bring back Aaroniero from the dead. It's rather that or healing her teammates. I doubt it's the latter because Grimmjow doesn't seem to type to help.

Either way, Kubo needs to include more character involvement in the future. It is getting old seeing the same people 19 pages through for several chapters without any real big improvement.

Ava
May 14, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think the main reason for that is how vestigal he's become as a main character. Sahugani put it best when he said that not killing Mayuri basically knocked him down to a second-tier character, in terms of importance to the story. "Quincy pride" doesn't seem like much when he wasn't able to beat his clan's exterminator.

I agree with both you and Sahugani on this matter. Mayuri should have died back then. Maybe Kubo wanted to try a rematch between the two after Ishida improved his abilities, or who knows, maybe he'll make Ryuuken fight and kill that nut-head, just like Isshin got to finish off Grand Fisher. Still, Ishida's level of "coolness" shrunk dramatically because of not winning that figh and poor Chad had an even crueler fate, in terms of humiliation. Kubo just doensn't seem to like these guys very much.

Yeah, I know. But the possibility is definitely there, among several others--which is why I don't like it. Whichever side has that ability would basically have an infinite level of good soldiers, since they could all be brought back whenever. We haven't seen any limits on the number of times Orihime could restore something.
I agree that there should be some limits in all of this. It's getting rather silly. She's not a walking undo button, she can't do these things just like anything else. It should have some sort of trick, like shortening her own life or weakening her body. Unfortunately, that would be rather stereotypical, so I hope Kubo's clever enough to fix this issue somehow without any more cheap tricks.

You know what'd be cool? If the rejection of huge events like death were only temporary. That way, there's be a clear stoppage on how much Inoue could do, and the Hougyoku's forced completion could eventually be reversed. At the same time, though, the Hougyoku couldn't be denied out of existance, so it'd be a double edged sword.
There must be some sort of limit. Still, if he intends to kill Rukia and have her revived by Orihime, this temporary reviving ability wouldn't be too convenient for us, would it? I really don't want Rukia to die, she's one of my favourite characters. :P

It was in one of the databooks (from what I've heard).

And I think that Kubo either hasn't had the time to come up with a good release, or he just doesn't have confidence in the ideas he does have. I'd like to say he's just waiting to spring it on us at the right time, but the series has felt so rushed since the SS-Arc that I don't think he's planned very far ahead.

That's why I don't think he'll show up to save Ichigo and co.

I hope Kubo tries to create something really special for Zaraki's release, since so many people are expecting to see it. The pressure is big, the expectations are high, he might lack confidence, as you said.

I don't really expect him to send anyone from SS to save the kids either, but it would be so cool if he did. The whole arc would suddenly get much more interesting. He might have thought that the ownage of the privaron would be enough, but let's face it, it wasn't. I'm demanding for more! :D

I believe we are just kinda of frustrated because golden week took place and we had to wait two weeks for a manga that isn't just about to reveal information that we do desperately want to know.

Like I said in another post, Grimmjow is probably going to use Orihime to bring back Aaroniero from the dead. It's rather that or healing her teammates. I doubt it's the latter because Grimmjow doesn't seem to type to help.

Either way, Kubo needs to include more character involvement in the future. It is getting old seeing the same people 19 pages through for several chapters without any real big improvement.

Yes. You're right! I'm really, really frustrated! And not ashamed to admit it. I expected much more after a 2 week's wait. Kubo loves to tease the readers, but lately he doesn't really rise to their expectations anymore. He's getting repetitive and stereotypical. But I still hope things will get better in the near future.

gigantor21
May 14, 2007, 06:14 PM
I agree with both you and Sahugani on this matter. Mayuri should have died back then. Maybe Kubo wanted to try a rematch between the two after Ishida improved his abilities, or who knows, maybe he'll make Ryuuken fight and kill that nut-head, just like Isshin got to finish off Grand Fisher. Still, Ishida's level of "coolness" shrunk dramatically because of not winning that figh and poor Chad had an even crueler fate, in terms of humiliation. Kubo just doensn't seem to like these guys very much.

Don't even get me started on Chad, okay? Jesus. I've never had a favorite character who's been screwed over so much.

And you're right that Ishida hasn't fared much better. In his case, Kubo introduced him as Ichigo's true rival, so it's especially bad--after all, there's no way they'll ever be equal in strength again, now that Ichigo has the mask. I just hope Kubo doesn't throw in some contrived power-up for Ishida to make them even again.

I agree that there should be some limits in all of this. It's getting rather silly. She's not a walking undo button, she can't do these things just like anything else. It should have some sort of trick, like shortening her own life or weakening her body. Unfortunately, that would be rather stereotypical, so I hope Kubo's clever enough to fix this issue somehow without any more cheap tricks.

Same here.

There must be some sort of limit. Still, if he intends to kill Rukia and have her revived by Orihime, this temporary reviving ability wouldn't be too convenient for us, would it? I really don't want Rukia to die, she's one of my favourite characters. :P

Oh, she's one of mine, too. I don't think Rukia's taken much more damage than Ichigo did against Byakuya, though, so even if the "rejection reversal" theory holds true then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure she'll be fine.

I hope Kubo tries to create something really special for Zaraki's release, since so many people are expecting to see it. The pressure is big, the expectations are high, he might lack confidence, as you said.

I don't really expect him to send anyone from SS to save the kids either, but it would be so cool if he did. The whole arc would suddenly get much more interesting. He might have thought that the ownage of the privaron would be enough, but let's face it, it wasn't. I'm demanding for more! :D

Yeah, definitely.

But only if it's implemented well, which is doubtful when you consider how this arc has been handled so far. I wouldn't want Kubo to randomly throw more stuff in to rally the fans and cover his ass--he's done enough of that already, and it's getting old.

Yes. You're right! I'm really, really frustrated! And not ashamed to admit it. I expected much more after a 2 week's wait. Kubo loves to tease the readers, but lately he doesn't really rise to their expectations anymore. He's getting a repetitive and stereotypical. But I still hope things will get better in the near future.

I wasn't expecting much after 259, which was another mediocre chapter released after a break. It seems like the mangaka make the chapters continuously, anyway, so I don't think planned breaks make a difference unless the mangaka specifically says they're taking extra time.

Ava
May 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
Don't even get me started on Chad, okay? Jesus. I've never had a favorite character who's been screwed over so much. Sorry. I know. It simply sucks.

And you're right that Ishida hasn't fared much better. In his case, Kubo introduced him as Ichigo's true rival, so it's especially bad--after all, there's no way they'll ever be equal in strength again, now that Ichigo has the mask. I just hope Kubo doesn't throw in some contrived power-up for Ishida to make them even again. I think Kubo just decided to give up Ishida on the way. It seems Ichigo will never have a "true rival", he only has temporary ones, until he beats them or teams up with them. There used to be rivalry between Ichigo and Renji, Ichigo and Byakuya, but it's not the case anymore. I don't see anything, not even some friendly competition between allies (in Renji's case it would have been suitable). Now Ichigo's only rival has become GJ, we'll see what happens next, he'll either kill him or turn him to his side and then, once more, Kubo will have to invent a new and better one, 'cause it seems he doesn't like "improving old models".

Oh, she's one of mine, too. I don't think Rukia's taken much more damage than Ichigo did against Byakuya, though, so even if the "rejection reversal" theory holds true then it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure she'll be fine. I'm hope so too, since I really don't want to have her resurrected. That would simply suck.

But only if it's implemented well, which is doubtful when you consider how this arc has been handled so far. I wouldn't want Kubo to randomly throw more stuff in to rally the fans and cover his ass--he's done enough of that already, and it's getting old. :) Covering his ass. Well said!

I wasn't expecting much after 259, which was another mediocre chapter released after a break. It seems like the mangaka make the chapters continuously, anyway, so I don't think planned breaks make a difference unless the mangaka specifically says they're taking extra time.
You're probably right. This may have been written way before Golden Week. I just thought(or rather hoped) they may be planning ahead so that they make the chapter after a break more thrilling. I have already forgotten about previous disappointment. :D But your theory makes sense to me. Nevertheless, I can't help the feeling of frustration.

yanniv
May 15, 2007, 02:15 AM
Doesn't Kubo write his mangas in like a month advance?

gigantor21
May 15, 2007, 08:41 AM
^ I wouldn't be surprised. I know Oda is several weeks ahead of Jump, so I'll bet Kubo is, too.

Sorry. I know. It simply sucks.

Don't worry about it. Just don't let it happen again, okay?

I think Kubo just decided to give up Ishida on the way. It seems Ichigo will never have a "true rival", he only has temporary ones, until he beats them or teams up with them. There used to be rivalry between Ichigo and Renji, Ichigo and Byakuya, but it's not the case anymore. I don't see anything, not even some friendly competition between allies (in Renji's case it would have been suitable). Now Ichigo's only rival has become GJ, we'll see what happens next, he'll either kill him or turn him to his side and then, once more, Kubo will have to invent a new and better one, 'cause it seems he doesn't like "improving old models".

That makes sense. I agree that there's no series wide rival for Ichigo to compete with--my main problem with that is how the "rivals" become far less importantto the story once they lose to, or ally with him. I wish that wasn't the case, since I really like Zaraki and Byakuya and wish they were more actively involved in the current story.

:) Covering his ass. Well said!

Aww, yeah. You know it.

You're probably right. This may have been written way before Golden Week. I just thought(or rather hoped) they may be planning ahead so that they make the chapter after a break more thrilling. I have already forgotten about previous disappointment. :D But your theory makes sense to me. Nevertheless, I can't help the feeling of frustration.

Me either. If anything, not being able to hope for a better chapter after a break makes it worse. I just wish the series as a whole would pick up again, because it's not that exciting anymore.