PDA

View Full Version : Theory Theories and hypotheses about Gear 4th

Freakzin
November 10, 2006, 02:59 PM
Just how do u guys picture it, give me ur ideas ^^

jumbohiggins
November 10, 2006, 05:48 PM
well it might just be that im curently uncreative but such a great topic as this deserves atleast one reply so ill start it off i think luffy has to perfect gears 2 and 3 before hell bust out 4
"hummm perfected gear 3 = giant luffy :headbang"

but heres my guess i see it as something like a mix between two and three like a super strong super fast luffy but thats just my guess and as i said im not very creative right now

princedaris17
November 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
Anywayz Let me recall Son Goku which has a Super Saiyan 4 form in DBZ.

Lastname of luffy is "Monkey" right? Therefore HE Will turn to a SUPER RUBBER MONKEY D' LUFFY 4 if he use Gear 4..

Which his hair will go long also while wearing his StrawHAt.(can u imagine?)

neild
November 10, 2006, 07:12 PM
I think gear 4 will be fire rubber. so his body become hot after twisting his body a couple of times..like sanji's new kick that he used to defeat cp9's member

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 11, 2006, 02:09 AM
I think before he learn Gear 4 Luffy should learn how to use Gear 2nd and 3rd without the side effects.
at the moment they are to big his body is completely worn out after using gear....

neild
November 11, 2006, 08:14 AM
the topic is discussing what gear 4 will look like, we all know he have to master gear 2 and 3 first...

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 13, 2006, 01:55 PM
In that case I agree with jumbohiggins:
GIANT LUFFY

maybe he must fight someday a giant who is a marine like saulo?

neild
November 13, 2006, 07:28 PM
so do you mean gear 3 but with baloon bone all over his body?cool

sushi
November 14, 2006, 07:49 AM
that can happen if he completely master gear 3 so not likely to be gear 4...i think it would be like he can transform into anything cause of his rubber body... no idea hahahahahah... nice topic but not many replies....oda is a tensai so cant match his idea...

jeffhmwong
November 14, 2006, 08:39 AM
YEA>....I Agree with princedaris17 ...GEAR 4 MONkey D luffy will morph into A MONKEY..!!!!

JoJoJO
November 14, 2006, 08:42 AM
maybe he will produce fire

neild
November 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
GEAR 4 will be super sized luffy.this is done to fight the giants

neild
November 15, 2006, 01:41 AM
or luffy will be super skinny, but sharp.so he can launch deadly spike like shigan, the one being used by cp9.so its gomu2 shigan hehe

The Boff
November 15, 2006, 08:54 AM
what are you guys talking about? we have already seen gear 4.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/boffenjl/OnePiece-200-17.jpg

hehehe :XD gear 4 MIZU LUFFY

SeniL
November 15, 2006, 02:35 PM
nonono. Gear 4 is when he sleeps and eats ;D

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 15, 2006, 03:35 PM
nonono. Gear 4 is when he sleeps and eats ;D

*boing*
How could you attack your opponent like this :D

neild
November 15, 2006, 05:47 PM
as ive said before.gear 4 is gonna be super skinny and thin, but sharp.and luffy will learn the new move which he will call gomu2 shigan (copying from cp9) or
the tiny and quick luffy, where he can give a low blow to male enemy hehe

Freakzin
November 15, 2006, 08:59 PM
i think it would be soooo not luffy to call it shigan, maybe bullet , shot or something like that, gomugomu sharp rifle

weixiaobao
November 15, 2006, 10:34 PM
So far we have:

-Mizu Luffy
-Afro Luffy
-Baka Luffy
-Octopus Luffy
-Gear 2 Luffy
-Gear 3 Luffy
-Sleep Eating Luffy

Gear 4 Luffy will turn luffy into a super slim hot model or Super Baka level 4 or SLEEP WALKING LUFFY (come with automatic super quick relex and unpredictable plus super strong snoring technique)

johnjohn252
November 15, 2006, 10:57 PM
well gear 2 is speed, gear 3 massive power...hmm i think gear 4 will just have luffy not be strtchy but SUPER and im emphasize SUPER FAST and STRONG! idk i just that wud be sweet. Just have him whoop some butt. Maybe he will get a weapon like a pole with a monkey devil fruit power so he can whoop.

sushi
November 16, 2006, 05:36 AM
or even, when he got the side effect but make it as an advantage by making some super power from the chibi luffy form...

Mugiwara_no_Jack
November 16, 2006, 09:42 AM
or even, when he got the side effect but make it as an advantage by making some super power from the chibi luffy form...

Maybe destroy the enemy from the inside :D

neild
November 16, 2006, 06:18 PM
octopus luffy is the best.i laughed very hard.i still remember it, it was on the skypiea arc when luffy fought with enel right

weixiaobao
November 16, 2006, 06:20 PM
octopus luffy is the best.i laughed very hard.i still remember it, it was on the skypiea arc when luffy fought with enel right

Right. I like baka luffy the best and octo Luffy 2nd. then 3rd gear and 2nd gear

neild
November 16, 2006, 06:39 PM
2nd gear in the anime is way cooler than the manga.i think anime plays an important role in making the anime more real, emotionall and likeable

jumbohiggins
November 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
thats why you gotta love the anime too cuase i mean sure they might be kinda behind and make some crap up sometimes for filler (cough naruto hack hack cough cough) but i think do to the awesome fight scenes it makes up for it sometimes not all the time but sometimes.

mu3izz
November 17, 2006, 07:46 AM
i think its cool that none of the other strawhats have seen gear 2 or 3 yet, theyll be in for a shock when they do.. maybe gear 4 will be luffy can stretch extra long? i mean once uve covered speed and size, whats left? maybe strength, like he doesnt expand but he can put a %#^%$#^%$#@@ load of power into just one punch.. orrrrrr since everythings been on the attack so far, itll be a defensive manoever? but thats not like luffy.. hummm..

Freakzin
November 17, 2006, 06:56 PM
dude i think gear 3 was all about strength

neild
November 17, 2006, 11:42 PM
is gear 4 necessary?coz i think gear 2 and 3 is more than enough right now.cant think of what it will be

weixiaobao
November 17, 2006, 11:45 PM
is gear 4 necessary?coz i think gear 2 and 3 is more than enough right now.cant think of what it will be

You may be right! But gear 4 idea sounded cool though. But I hope it dun made Luffy smarter or anything like that.

neild
November 18, 2006, 04:39 AM
gear 4= gear 2+3
super sized luffy with super speed and super power.how cool is that[br]Posted on: November 18, 2006, 04:39:16 AM_________________________________________________2nd alternative: super jump/ almost like flying

jairdan6
November 18, 2006, 12:12 PM
gear 2 + gear 3 = gear 5. i think they'll jump straight to gear 5

Acacia
November 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
This wouldn't be Gear 4, but anyone notice how Luffy keeps imitating his crew members (so far, there's Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper, I think)

It's probably just intended as a joke, but I wonder if Luffy can change his face 'cause it's rubber and whatnot...

Freakzin
November 18, 2006, 06:47 PM
HHhHHhahhahahhaasa HE COULD TOTALLY MAKE a fool out of sanji
turn into nami, and ask for infinite meat! niku!!niku!!!nIKU!!!NIKU!!! sanjiii sannn NIKUUU

weixiaobao
November 18, 2006, 07:49 PM
gear 4= gear 2+3
super sized luffy with super speed and super power.how cool is that[br]Posted on: November 18, 2006, 04:39:16 AM_________________________________________________2nd alternative: super jump/ almost like flying

Super speed + super power made Luffy invincible and no one want that, we want drama, the more Luffy is the underdog the better.

super jump = luffy can do that
Fly= luffy can launch himself like a rocket

This wouldn't be Gear 4, but anyone notice how Luffy keeps imitating his crew members (so far, there's Zoro, Sanji, and Chopper, I think)

It's probably just intended as a joke, but I wonder if Luffy can change his face 'cause it's rubber and whatnot...

not really because he rubber, it more because it a manga. I think Usop or Chopper could change their face too. But not as good as Mr. 2

Xenos3421
November 19, 2006, 05:52 PM
Here's an interesting thought: Everybody assumes that since luffy came out with Gear Second and than third; the next thing he'd do is a gear forth. Here's my question: Why not a Gear First.

Every person who's seen Gear Second and says Luffy went up to a higher gear is just being presumptuous. Luffy's never defined his regular state as gear anything. The whole terminology with the word gear makes us think about cars and shifting gears. Two things that seem to have notiong to do with Luffy's gears( w/ the exception of gaining power). In cars you shift Gears to lower your RPMs, decreases the stain on your engine and it increase Torque to the wheels. Also when you shift you go from 1st gear than 2 and than 3 and to however many gears you have. They go in order...unlike Luffy who just activates them whenever.

Also, in the way he says the name "Gear second" instead of "Second Gear". Very Uncarlike
So I think, Instead of a gear 4 Luffy introduces a lamer- less powerfull Gear First. And the power it gives him is a way to "Shift" through gears, like maybe a way luffy could take in air and store it. So that he can go from Gear first into second than third. Like he'd use the super speed bonus from Second to get right behind somebody and before they'd even seen Luffy he'd shift to third a put a Gigant pistol into the small of someone's back.

I think it'd work, Gear second uses his Legs as pumps, so, there should be a way for him to uses that to pump air directly into his bones.

Well it's either how I've said it or he'll just use 2 n 3 at the same time... It sould work as long as he doesn't make ethier of his legs giant. (He wouldn't be able to pump with them like that)

P.S. If he could make two limbs large at the same time (instead of just the 1)... Gigant Gear second! (with 2 giant legs as the pumps)

Freakzin
November 19, 2006, 05:53 PM
i know onE YES YES YES
u know fisics, right, so a perfectly elastic hit, (im from brazil so maybe u don't get it, if not i'll try to explain better)
he modifies to get all perfectly elastic hits, he would be SO POWERFULL@@

The Boff
November 19, 2006, 06:37 PM
Every person who's seen Gear Second and says Luffy went up to a higher gear is just being presumptuous. Luffy's never defined his regular state as gear anything.

i dont really agree with you. Luffys very own words were

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/boffenjl/gear.jpg

and they evolved into gear second. so i would say that its pretty safe to assume that all his regular attacks are in "Gear one".

im still very unsure as to what "gear 4" would be. honestly i just hope its cool. so often when characters start to power up their powers just gets weirder and weirder. so as long as its really cool, i dont care what it is :D

sushi
November 19, 2006, 11:04 PM
he will hav more than gear 4 for sure...better meh...got more power<since some people assume that rubber is kinda weak...by having more than 4 gea it can prove them wrong...he can't even defeat aokiji yet how can he stop from evolving the gears

sorry if i said something wrong..

Freakzin
November 26, 2006, 10:12 PM
since a lot of people think that the gears that luffy uses remember cars, what would be GEAR R??
maybe transform into something that would get oxygen real fast, or rest real fast, to compensate gear second???
give ur thoughts since the gear 4 thing is kinda dead by now.....

gao_dargon
November 27, 2006, 01:58 AM
all you ideas r cool hehe and i had alot of fun picturing them, but for some reason, i dont think there will be a gear 4 at all, luffy is way to iregular (and dumb) to keep naming his tecnics "gears" i think he will just become stronger

P.S have u notised that luffy iq keeps droping with each chapter?? hahahaha

triniman121
November 27, 2006, 03:35 PM
all you ideas r cool hehe and i had alot of fun picturing them, but for some reason, i dont think there will be a gear 4 at all, luffy is way to iregular (and dumb) to keep naming his tecnics "gears" i think he will just become stronger

P.S have u notised that luffy iq keeps droping with each chapter?? hahahaha

well maybe not the cp9 arc he was pretty smart during that arc and had a really calm attidude

husnimubarak
November 28, 2006, 02:13 AM
gear 4.. it depends on the ratio..

may be he'll get his speed at 200 mile/hours.. (if his engine is ferrari) ;)

otaclub_87
November 29, 2006, 11:01 AM
i agree with boffelJL...luffy's attack will evolve one step from gear one (the regular attack) to gear second--third....i think gear name doesn't have anythong to do with "car" thing...hehe...

the next gear...i wonder if

RUBBER (luffy) + FLAME (ace) =..................

Liqiud
November 29, 2006, 11:07 AM
Eheh, of coarse it has something to do with the gears of a car... We don't know what gear 4th will be, and won't until Oda reveals it. We wouldn't have imagined gear 2nd and 3rd..

otaclub_87
November 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
if it is..then luffy developing ability is limited to the number of the gear in cars...

and also it has reverse gear..what would it become???

Liqiud
November 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
A chibi; and yeah, a car's maximum number of gears is six, so he'll most likely develop six gears, as well as learning to use them in combination and for much longer periods of time...

hrseber
November 29, 2006, 03:09 PM
an 18 wheeler on average has 10 gears and some can have up to 18, so I don't think the car reference is that accurate on how Oda will decide how many gears Luffy will have.

Liqiud
November 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
18 gears is a bit much, and Oda has stated, think it was during the sbs, that his gears's are based on those of a car.

deathshadow25
November 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
I think maybe he was talking about the idea of gears and Luffy shifting into them and not the numerical concept

Liqiud
November 29, 2006, 03:33 PM
he was talking about both, hence the GEAR in their names

weixiaobao
November 29, 2006, 04:41 PM
Anyway, luffy should perfected with what he got....

jumbohiggins
November 29, 2006, 05:20 PM
ok i have an idea !!

after some thought heres my idea on gear 4

it will be proceded by gear 1.5 or 3.5 depending in this gear luffy will contort his body to make various different shapes with his arms and stuff

such as a giant hammer maybe

weixiaobao
November 29, 2006, 05:23 PM
ok i have an idea !!

it will be proceded by gear 1.5 or 3.5 depending in this gear luffy will contort his body to make various different shapes with his arms and stuff

Good ideas,
Predicting how Liqiud may react... hmmm....
"Gear 3.5, &*&*******, car don't have gear 3.5 ********"

Anyway it a great idea, but he can do that in rear 1 or 2 or 3 (i am sure he can, no need for point something gear)

Anyway what other shape you thing he can make...?

Liqiud2
November 29, 2006, 05:28 PM
Apparently they don't like 'Liqiud's' reactions and comments.. They banned 'him' for a week; can't ban a hacker though, wonder when he'll crack the system...

ok i have an idea !!

The Gear 1.5 and 2.5 thing's... eh... not going to happen, that contorting thing to make various weapons... eh... sounds pretty damn good.

jairdan6
November 29, 2006, 10:44 PM
do you think maybe one of his gears could make him impervious to say sharp blades?

Liqiud2
November 30, 2006, 01:22 PM
I doubt it, a character without weakness doesn't deserve to be called a hero..

deathshadow25
November 30, 2006, 02:14 PM
I doubt it, a character without weakness doesn't deserve to be called a hero..

system cracked

Darkheart608608
November 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
No, I think Gear 4 will have the explosive property, since all his gear up to now all relate to plastic property, so i think Gear 4 also has plastic property (plastic explosive property). It will explose when impact with enermy body.

jumbohiggins
November 30, 2006, 10:43 PM
first of all plastic explosives arnt explosives derived from plastic their coated in plastic to make them more resistent

second plastic and RUBBER are two entireley different things (and rubber doesnt explode)

ok i got another idea here it is

in gear 4 luffys body becomes super compact he sucks the rubber all in makeing him super strong and able to bounce anything right off of him hell lose the ability to strectch but once he punchs someone hell get a second puch out of it were his arm will then extend

or something like that :luffy

Freakzin
November 30, 2006, 11:08 PM
that could fit in my fisics idea , of perfeclty elastic hit ^^, if he could ajust the properties of the rubber, and thinkin of each arm bein an object it's pretty possible ^^

jumbohiggins
December 12, 2006, 07:04 PM
ok new idea that no-one will probably see

luffy contracts the rubber in his body makeing him freakishly strong(even more so then usal) impervious to attacks and realfast

only downside is he woulnt be able to stretch

triniman121
December 12, 2006, 07:29 PM
gear 4 i think his appearance will chance somewhat. way more strength,speed. only draw back it won't last that long and could even kill him if used to much...

that's my theory

Julmari
December 13, 2006, 10:14 AM
aparence changes to more muscular? and the ability, speed and the power increase?

triniman121
December 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
well since oda likes DBZ. his appearance like hair, body, etc will change

jumbohiggins
December 14, 2006, 06:15 PM
super saiyjian luffy
fear the monkey :luffy

weixiaobao
December 14, 2006, 06:39 PM
imagining luffy going blone... ha ha ha ha... ha ah ah... blond... ha ha ha...

Julmari
December 15, 2006, 03:20 PM
What if its something compleatly different.
Luffy will grow grow and grow untill he is at the height of a giant BUT he'll be Bold(whit out hair if i spelled it wrongly)

Mugiwara_no_Jack
December 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe kind of Super Saiyan 4 :D

Oda likes Akira Toriyama so why not ^^

But I am sure, if there is a Gear 4 then it will be a giant Luffy who is really fast.
Briefly mix between gear 2 and 3.

LightReaper
December 17, 2006, 06:20 PM
I doubt Oda would go down that path, Oda took alot of inspiration from DBZ and admires Toriyama alot but downright plaguerism is just going a bit past the call of duty.

If we see Gear 4, it'll be much further on, Gear 2 and Gear 3 are strong enough at this point to propel him quite far along the grand line; and I wouldn't hasten to speculate what Gear 4 might be if only because Oda is very very unpredictable and i'm doubtful he'd go down the obvious route - he never does.

BlackHair
December 18, 2006, 06:00 AM
I think Luffy will only master 2 and 3.
There wont be any other Gears (so not 4), since its to much like DB Z, GT.

jeffhmwong
December 18, 2006, 06:26 AM
I agree with black hair...no more gear 4

But if theres , I think he will morph into a monkey ...just like son goku morph into a gorilla..

mangaka
December 19, 2006, 12:36 AM
is car exists in one piece world?i dont think gear refers to car.
it just to indicates luffy power level or means new technique for each gear.
but if we compare to car gears,first gear is the most unsafe and last gear is the safest or stable.
if mr.3 can harden and melt the wax, why can't luffy?
i like the idea that a gear (maybe gear 4) could turns luffy into liquid rubber,since rubber originally in liquid form (extract from tree).
:)

Efreet
December 19, 2006, 06:52 AM
is car exists in one piece world?i dont think gear refers to car.
it just to indicates luffy power level or means new technique for each gear.
but if we compare to car gears,first gear is the most unsafe and last gear is the safest or stable.
if mr.3 can harden and melt the wax, why can't luffy?
i like the idea that a gear (maybe gear 4) could turns luffy into liquid rubber,since rubber originally in liquid form (extract from tree).
:)

yeah i was kinda thinking his power could somehow upgrade to logia version of liquid rubber..but very unlikely

OP_overlord
December 27, 2006, 12:21 AM
yeah i was kinda thinking his power could somehow upgrade to logia version of liquid rubber..but very unlikely

idk about that one it could be gear 5

i think that since we have seen luffy heat the rubber to make him faster and expand the rubber to make his punches have more effect (not i dont think that it is actually increasing his power) gear 4 will be him hardening the rubber to make him stronger (muscular, kinda like a rock) he wouldnt b able to strech he would become a normal person esentaily but it would b like teh tenkia thing that teh CP9 uses to nulify hits

Tailsnake
December 27, 2006, 04:05 AM
idk about that one it could be gear 5

i think that since we have seen luffy heat the rubber to make him faster and expand the rubber to make his punches have more effect (not i dont think that it is actually increasing his power) gear 4 will be him hardening the rubber to make him stronger (muscular, kinda like a rock) he wouldnt b able to strech he would become a normal person esentaily but it would b like teh tenkia thing that teh CP9 uses to nulify hits

I was thinking the same basic thing, luffy could use gear 3 and compress the air (even more than gear 2) to temporarily vulcanize his body to attain this, it seems like a logical evolution too. People suggesting superfast ginat luffy don't seem to notic that oda is trying to balance the gears (2 = damage to body, 3 = slow, shrink afterward, etc) so it would make sense for 4 to be balanced too (increased power and defence but no ability to stretch).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization

OP_overlord
December 27, 2006, 01:21 PM
thank you tailsnake i forgot the scientic name

mangaka
December 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
the balance gear should be the last gear

OP_overlord
December 28, 2006, 02:49 PM
how many gears do you think there will be

deathshadow25
December 29, 2006, 01:21 AM
I think 6 is enough for Luffy and eventually he'll be able to utilize them so that he can combine gears and stuff

OP_overlord
December 29, 2006, 01:23 AM
yeah that would be kool if he could combine them once he masters them

does any one else hope that he will learn the moves that teh CP9 can do he got one in like 4 min and they had to train for years to learn them

so in the end he should have rokuski skills (i have no idea how to spell that at all) and teh gears

Tailsnake
December 29, 2006, 01:27 AM
I don't think he'll get anymore, at the begining of the enis lobby battle there was a bunch of speculation on who would get what rokuski and how practical it would be. The entire arc ended with luffy being the only one to learn one, I think it's gonna stay that way just like the skills the guardians in skypiea were using the strawhat's won't learn them (no matter how useful they would likely be).

deathshadow25
December 29, 2006, 01:36 AM
Actually from that arc on Ussop has gained strength from the dials

OP_overlord
December 29, 2006, 06:36 PM
yeah and with a gramps who knows the rokuski the dad prob knows some of them if not all and he might teach them to lufy some time and that would be kool

and teh skill that the priest at skipekia had was gentic you could learn it even if you wanted to

sushi
December 30, 2006, 02:36 AM
maybe another idea of mine for gear 4 is ultimate defense added with rokushiki...

his genetic is good enough to create lots of gear don think it will be limited cause Oda-sensei is kinda show brilliant and weird thing about this manga

OP_overlord
December 30, 2006, 03:40 PM
yeah but i think that he will learn teh rokushiki or his own version of them by him self or wih thehelp of dragon at some later date

sushi
December 31, 2006, 07:37 AM
the basic was thought by garp right maybe luffy will evolved t into another version later like adding to gear 4 I mean

mugen
December 31, 2006, 04:43 PM
look no more gears that would be too obscene :noworry
something else Luffy will make but no more gears :noworry

sushi
December 31, 2006, 05:51 PM
don get mad Mugen just following the rule

mugen
December 31, 2006, 05:53 PM
sorry :scry
but he does need something for when fighting logia type fighters
i mean Zolo will learn to cut the elements eventually so Luffy needs something like that :noworry

sushi
December 31, 2006, 05:58 PM
ahhahahah

its okey man just that maybe his gear 4 could do that

OP_overlord
January 01, 2007, 08:22 PM
yeah i agree but luffy needs more power ups "like having aother DF with out eating one"

if nothin else but to protect his nakama

sushi
January 03, 2007, 07:12 AM
i hope the marines found out a way to eat 2df n luffy does it

it seems so possible in OP

hoxy
January 03, 2007, 10:47 PM
gear two makes luffy fast
gear three makes luffy stronger
gear four makes his the simpson like brain evolve to make him a super genius, WOW[br]Posted on: January 03, 2007, 09:47:36 PM_________________________________________________so gear 3 makes him stronger by blowing air into his bone right?
so gear 4 might be the enhance version of that... well, if luffy can figured out how to presurize those air in his bone making air to pressurize air=liquid(consume lesser space)... then... he may be well just retain his size just like gear 2. so in other word... retain speed... more power, yeah!!! :bkitty

OP_overlord
January 04, 2007, 11:48 PM
or harder to makehim stronger no so strechy and solid as a rock so nothin can hit him not even swords

John M.D.
January 05, 2007, 06:54 PM
I think that luffy needs a better power other than gomu gomu to protect his nakama.... I mean, not all logia's has a weakness with rubber right? it's just that rubber is the natural enemy of Eneru's... and in fighting Crocodile, he used his own blood and nearly died doing it... maybe he will find a devil fruit that can be eaten even when you have eaten another already... (Angel fruit?!?!) hahaha

OP_overlord
January 05, 2007, 10:32 PM
it would be amazing if he could do that but itwould be one of three of these optioons of DF

no second DF but more gears
a logia
the light DF (for use against BB)

i hope that this doesnt happen but it would be kool if the weaker members of teh SH all got DF like nami and a water/wind fruit and ussop with a vision/gun DF and sanji and zoro dont need one but it would be kool and bost their bounties cause i still think there total for the crew is to low

sushi
January 05, 2007, 10:40 PM
if zoro or sanji ate DF luffy is gonna die in an instant

OP_overlord
January 05, 2007, 10:44 PM
no cause he would have also gotten stronger with another gear or a DF himself
and they have to much respect/loyality for him
CP9 didnt turn on spadime
and i knew that it would never happen

sushi
January 05, 2007, 11:02 PM
who is going to save the captain if he falls out of the ship into the sea if everybody ate DF

OP_overlord
January 05, 2007, 11:11 PM
true
they could get a mermaid next island but your right it would not be pratical and that stinks

sushi
January 06, 2007, 06:49 AM
hahhahahha
we don wanna see Luffy die are we

Mugiwara_no_Jack
January 06, 2007, 08:19 AM
if zoro or sanji ate DF luffy is gonna die in an instant

Me too -_-;;

sushi
January 06, 2007, 08:55 AM
hahahahahhah

why?

Mugiwara_no_Jack
January 06, 2007, 10:37 AM
I think the mugiwaras need members which can be really strong without any "items".
Luffy, Chopper & Robin ate the DF
Nami has her Tacts
Ussop has his Kabuto (which is modified with dials I guess)
Franky is himself a weapon because he's a cyborg.

OK Zoro uses swords but he is without them a damn strong guy as well.
And Sanji only uses his legs no weapons or something like that.

These two are not allowed to eat any DF :D

OP_overlord
January 06, 2007, 03:30 PM
i knew it would not happen and i wouldnt want it to but it would mean that there bounties would be increased drasticly and that would be kool

sushi
January 06, 2007, 06:39 PM
super human being is much cooler if they can defeat a high level DF user

OP_overlord
January 07, 2007, 12:36 AM
true and that is what makes the SH crew the best cause it is small and they all have specilties
but back on topic luffy needs another power or crew member that complements him somehow

sushi
January 08, 2007, 07:04 AM
chopper is enuff i think

deathshadow25
January 08, 2007, 05:05 PM
Luffy needs a merman but to have a super huge arc now would be annoying to me. maybe a merman who's a bard that would signify the end of new crewmates, because it has been hinted that a bard member would be the last person to join Luffy's crew.

OP_overlord
January 08, 2007, 05:42 PM
idk franky can play gituar so i think that it will be a super strong mermaid that sings how is this relevent to the topic

deathshadow25
January 08, 2007, 05:43 PM
idk franky can play gituar so i think that it will be a super strong mermaid that sings how is this relevent to the topic

I don't know

anyways Gear 4 will probably present itself in the next arc

Anti-panda
January 09, 2007, 01:14 AM
They need a ninja mermaid.. or ninja-ish at least.
she could be a scout,/ lookout.
Because I think that playing some instruments would be hard with webs in your fingers not to mention scoring and writing music, for the same reason arlong said mermen have trouble drawing maps even though they know the ocean so well.

jinsomnia
January 09, 2007, 01:47 AM
gear 4 will come much later. luffy still cannot withstand gear 3 for so long neway. need to get use to it first...

deathshadow25
January 09, 2007, 02:50 AM
I think chibi luffy is awesome.

Chibi Luffy for Pirate King!!!

sushi
January 09, 2007, 03:04 AM
hahahhaha

his kawaii like that
gear 3 should be perfected soon so gear4 will be in the corner

deathshadow25
January 09, 2007, 11:16 AM
but will gear 3 always have the chibi luffy side effect

OP_overlord
January 09, 2007, 04:32 PM
it should it is a good joke to have
luffy needs some thing to make him stronger if niot his crew
and the aquarium is a dead giveaway for a mermaid to join the crew and she could sing and be a lookout ninja at the same time ussop could go to only gunner and franky could play teh gituar all the time

deathshadow25
January 09, 2007, 05:10 PM
yea and nami should sing
I wonder if Gear 4 will have any funny/not funny side effects

jinsomnia
January 09, 2007, 06:55 PM
maybe kishi got his idea from DBZ - super saiya 4.... his body will be completely different. it is a whole lot of different ballgame.

The Boff
January 09, 2007, 06:58 PM
i certainly hope not! im not that big off an DB fan.

i hope that if he makes a gear 4 the it would be a defensive thing, i dont really know how but make his rubber body A LOT stronger kinda like tekkai. but as i said, i have no clue how he would do that...

OP_overlord
January 09, 2007, 09:42 PM
he would have to freeze it but not really "freeze" it just hard like a rosk and all muscley so he got alot stronger
and how do you not like DBZ it is great

Absolutio
January 10, 2007, 05:20 AM
i certainly hope not! im not that big off an DB fan.

i hope that if he makes a gear 4 the it would be a defensive thing, i dont really know how but make his rubber body A LOT stronger kinda like tekkai. but as i said, i have no clue how he would do that...

Luffy's rubber is already a defensive ability in some sort of manners.. And judging from Luffy's character, it will probably be an offensive move.. And I dont think it has to be one of the techniques the CP9 used.. Gear 2 might resemle Soru, but he didnt learn the technique exactly, he just got over his normal body limit, so generally every attack and movement of his are sped up.. Same with gear 3, it doesnt resemble any technique of CP9.

jinsomnia
January 10, 2007, 07:17 AM
Luffy's rubber is already a defensive ability in some sort of manners.. And judging from Luffy's character, it will probably be an offensive move.. And I dont think it has to be one of the techniques the CP9 used.. Gear 2 might resemle Soru, but he didnt learn the technique exactly, he just got over his normal body limit, so generally every attack and movement of his are sped up.. Same with gear 3, it doesnt resemble any technique of CP9.

yeah.. in a way, i like that each and every character evolution is unique. sanji creates fire technique, zoro creates aura like creature, and so on... and luffy evolve with gear technique. i don't like any similarities between characters.

sushi
January 10, 2007, 08:06 AM
if the characters are the same there aren't any more fun

jinsomnia
January 10, 2007, 08:10 AM
really. i'm glad that there exist this gear thing. if not, luffy will use rokushiki technique and it will be lame

jeffhmwong
January 10, 2007, 09:29 AM
I thnk we are to see more of gear 2 n 3 .....gear 4 wont show up anytime soon..

The Boff
January 10, 2007, 04:43 PM
I thnk we are to see more of gear 2 n 3 .....gear 4 wont show up anytime soon..

i think youre right about that, i mean thats one of the best things with OP in difference to Bleach Naruto and DB.
the characters power up but not in the same way as in the others with HUUUUUUGE leaps everytime and everything is just exaggerated. i mean this was the first major power up in OP since the manga started and it came in like chapter 400. so thats just brilliant of Oda-sensei.

so i agree with you j@ffzz we will probably not see a gear 4 in a looooong time and when we see it it will be all the more awesome. just imagine that Luffy already has developed G4 at this point but havent had to use it.
and when he does use it he mentions that this has been laying dormant for quite some time and he's been eager to try it out. and we all go: "whats going on? whats he doing?" and then we flip the page
GEAR FOURTH!
and we all srceam because its soo awsesome. :D

jinsomnia
January 10, 2007, 06:56 PM
i think youre right about that, i mean thats one of the best things with OP in difference to Bleach Naruto and DB.
the characters power up but not in the same way as in the others with HUUUUUUGE leaps everytime and everything is just exaggerated. i mean this was the first major power up in OP since the manga started and it came in like chapter 400. so thats just brilliant of Oda-sensei.

so i agree with you j@ffzz we will probably not see a gear 4 in a looooong time and when we see it it will be all the more awesome. just imagine that Luffy already has developed G4 at this point but havent had to use it.
and when he does use it he mentions that this has been laying dormant for quite some time and he's been eager to try it out. and we all go: "whats going on? whats he doing?" and then we flip the page
GEAR FOURTH!
and we all srceam because its soo awsesome. :D

i like the idea. just hope it wont happen in chapter 800... haha

king_crimson-
January 10, 2007, 07:13 PM
whatever it'll be, i think it'll be something with which he'll become able to hit logia users...

The Boff
January 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
i like the idea. just hope it wont happen in chapter 800... haha

actually i do :darn

cause as i said, too many powerups all the time and then its just like bleach. where they power up in every chapter... i dont like that.

so im hoping for about 200 chapters atleast until G4. but thats just me and im not Oda so we'll see what happens

jinsomnia
January 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
actually i do :darn

cause as i said, too many powerups all the time and then its just like bleach. where they power up in every chapter... i dont like that.

so im hoping for about 200 chapters atleast until G4. but thats just me and im not Oda so we'll see what happens

as u said, thats why i'm a little bit off about bleach since u know that the next chapter someone power up. huh? thats just lame.

as in BDZ, goku stays inn super saiya state for a year in that room-thing to get used to it. thats how he get to get to the higher level of his power. i think that luffy should get used to gear 2 first...and then gear 3 for atleast a couple of mini arc. then we get the logic behind it all.

i mean, if u just power up every damn chapter, where is the fun of knowing the character u love power up?. there just have to be logic bahind it all, just like the logic of the time frame itself. that is where vthe integrity of the manga is preserved...

Raseru
January 10, 2007, 08:24 PM
whatever it'll be, i think it'll be something with which he'll become able to hit logia users...

He can already hit logia users. Only if he catches them off guard... or if he's too fast, he already has Gear 2 for that.

OP_overlord
January 11, 2007, 12:12 AM
yeah every one can hit a logia user if ther are suprised (except croc he trained his reflexes to turn into his DF ability if he was startled and i think ace has he got shot and wasnot looking at that guy but it dint hurt him)
im not up to date in naruto but naruto only has like three tech. shadow colon jutsue, raszengan, and that is it he never gets new powers it takes him like 20 chapters to figure out one part of the raszengan

Darkheart608608
January 11, 2007, 12:43 AM
Rubber can be extremely strong. In fact, i heard on National Geographic channel (not sure National Geographi channel or Discovery Channel) at about half to a year ago, England has a tank that make up by rubber. the rubber was special made and about half a foot thick, that can stop any bullet or hand-held missile. That is not all. It is light and flexible enough to easily maneuver. If Gear 4 is all about defense i think it will be like this. His speed will be normal (not as fast as Gear 2); his strength will be normal (not as strong as Gear 3). However, his defense is top-notch. The draw-back will be, after he release Gear 4, he can't stretch his body as long as the time he hold or activate Gear 4 (just like the condition that he has in Gear 3 except that he will turn into a normal people instead of a dwarf).

If there is Gear 5, I think his body will be come the new rubber material that USA scientist try to develop (also heard on TV. i don't know how much is it true. Therefore, don't believe if you don't believe because even I am skeptical about this material as well as the whole thing around it). Accodring to them, the material will go outward, instead of inward. Most of the time, it is in liquid state, loose and lack of concentration through out the surface. However, when there is an impact, the material clumb together instantly, and create a super dense and hard material (estimate harder than diamond by the scientist on TV). In addition, because it is in liquid state it can take or mold into any shape. If Luffy can have GEAR 5, and Oda believe in this material or even fantasize about some material like this, Luffy will be come a near Logia type Devil Fruit User with liquid rubber and mold into normal Luffy's shape, extremely flexible, extremely stronger on both offense and defense, able to copy the movement of the other as well as their appearant, etc.. The draw back....I don't know....Can't think of one....let's Oda decides if he use this GEAR 5.

king_crimson-
January 11, 2007, 05:07 AM
He can already hit logia users. Only if he catches them off guard... or if he's too fast, he already has Gear 2 for that.

well, i meant something than can let him hit logia users on guard :D

sushi
January 11, 2007, 07:28 AM
if his liquid his going to be like Mr 3
isn't it not fun like that having to be the same as others...bout the idea of having gear 4 on another 200 chaps I kinda agree>>>just waiting give more stress n than....BOOM the gear 4 came out its gonna be a blast...just that his gear must be perfected completely before Gear 4 if not the side effect is going to be even worse than a dwarf [ even though his kinda cute although his very vulnerable at that time ]

maybe the rokushiki thingy is just a bad idea but still an idea...then bout hitting the logia users...I'm actually quite worried since logia users are especially strong and its difficult to even hit them< he should really overcome this weaknest of his first...maybe zoro n sanji is gonna help him train or something

OP_overlord
January 11, 2007, 08:01 PM
yeah he never trains or we never see it he should have some trainging time agin (maybe with dragon)
he will not get a gear 4 if there will be oone for a long long time like 200 chapters
can he use his "suro" when he is not in gear 2 of is it all gear 4 that is bosting his speed

Absolutio
January 12, 2007, 03:04 PM
yeah he never trains or we never see it he should have some trainging time agin (maybe with dragon)

Dam.. that would be cool.. I can imagine Luffy fighting against some really strong enemy, and getting beaten, then Dragon arrives and saves luffy and tells him: "Luffy. It cant go on like this.. You have to get stronger, I cant save you always!"

And then they go training so luffy can fully and ultimately master his DF.. O_o
xD

OP_overlord
January 12, 2007, 07:02 PM
that would be amazing like the mini series with coby and hellempo and garp trains them and the same will happen with luffy and dragon he will become a beast and learn the life reborn thing that the CP9 guys uses to control his hair but that will of course be the weakest thing he learns at the trainging so that he can fight without a ful stomach

sushi
January 13, 2007, 07:42 AM
dragon shows his power and beat luffy up like a kid

Mugiwara_no_Jack
January 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
[...]maybe zoro n sanji is gonna help him train or something

I hope that will never happen .... I don't wanna see anyone train in OP otherwise it become something like DBZ where every arc somebody was at his training ... (I don't this stuff Zoro does when they are on the ship ... you know the thing with the weights ^^)

OP_overlord
January 13, 2007, 04:07 PM
you see zoro train like once an episode and the stuff he does is kool like in skypeikia when gan fall said that you guys would be able to do anything for a while since you are not used to the lack of air and zoro is chillin in teh crows nest downing one finger push ups on the top of the mast while looking around and he is at like 1000 during this whol conversation

Mugiwara_no_Jack
January 13, 2007, 06:55 PM
I already said that that "training" of Zoro doesn't count.

What I exactly meant is that in OP shouldn't be that training stuff like in DBZ or Naruto where whole chapters are about training.
If Zoro do his training in the background but it isn't the story of the chapter then it is OK.

OP_overlord
January 13, 2007, 08:16 PM
o ok may bad i misunserstood you but i still one or two chapters on them all training wouldnt take away from the show or make it like naruto and DBZ (tho i like both shows/mangas)and i still liked the mini arc about coby and helmpo training and seeing them again and them being really really stronger now

sushi
January 14, 2007, 01:55 AM
yeah while luffy is tarining withe the guys we maybe see nami n robin do something as a change

OP_overlord
January 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
yeah nami is should read the manual to the climate tact thing again and practice with it so that she can kick real ass

jumbohiggins
January 16, 2007, 11:32 PM
im not oppsed to the idea of training but i dont want to waste valuable chapter space on it

if they wanna do a training thing it should be a time skip like naruto.

OP_overlord
January 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
yeah that would be good like for the last year teh SH have been training
luffy with dragon
zoro perfecting new tech.
sanji makeing new recipes and training his endurance/speed
ussop making a new weapon and "shots"
nami learning moer abou the tact
robin reading
franky upgrading his back
chopper training in teh three rumble ball stage or makeing another one

and all of this will happen will with dragon but SH will still be sailing and in there next fight they have flashbacks to there trainings and will destroy ppl
and god knows they need the training with all the new stronger enimes around BB, Aokiji, Garp, smoker, tashigi, ... thatwould be kool if ODA did it like that

Tailsnake
January 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
I really don't think training would fit into one piece. OP is already long enough as is (450 chapters and i looks like we'll get at least another 100-200 more before it's over which will make one piece the second longest manga ever). It's gonna be hard to fit a traning arc or skip into the story, the strawhats tend to learn skills in the middle of battle anyway which really negates the point of training for them.

sushi
January 17, 2007, 06:40 AM
oda-sensei never acyually show when the SH trains

cause suddenly we see luffy got gears isn't that a mystery that shuld be solved?

deathshadow25
January 17, 2007, 04:53 PM
thats is good point it gives an element of surprise to the readers so they can see that the mugiwaras are people who never stop giving it their best.

OP_overlord
January 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
yeah

and i have heard a few things about when OP will end
chapter 650-750
chapter 800-1000
or never Oda will continue to make it till he dies

and i never said that i wanted a trainging arc just a few
(5 or six chapater) flash backs in teh middle of a battle and you see everone training and getting stronger and stuff and if Oda goes with the 800-never ending amount of chapter then he can fit a few in

sushi
January 18, 2007, 05:05 AM
that would be cool since he can show more on luffy training to get gear 4 n stuff

AreoXIII
January 21, 2007, 01:40 AM
Gear 4-The users blood becomes molten hot and their bones become strong as steel.This technique should be used rarely because it will increase the users growth by 3 years.The user also gets complete control of their body.

Appearance-The user will look very red and shiney.

Traits-The user will develop a rather competitive behavior,adding to their confidence which will make them a tough target to kill.

OP_overlord
January 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
the red and shinny is just like 2nd gear and idk about have two gears similar to each other the molten blood and is like the same thing that already happes and teh hard bone is gear 3 so ifyour talking about a combo ofthe two it would be koool but not be named gear 4 he would just use then both and not call them anything or call them gear 5 (2+3), or gear 6 (2x3)

triniman121
January 21, 2007, 11:15 PM
as i said before if there is a gear 4 it might be a incorporation or gear 2 and 3. combining spped and strenght and maybe something new.

but i like how oda hides on how luffy trains himself.

sushi
January 22, 2007, 06:05 AM
hahahha

but i realy wanna know how he atually train n get the idea of these gears since his a nut head

Freakzin
January 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
the gear 2 idea happenned on movie 7, he was fightin a robot , and when he pressed luffy to the ground his legs got that pumped thing and when he hit him after that, he goes like WOW !!! but no idea on gear 3.

OP_overlord
January 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
that is kool i dont like the movies they dont tie inwith the main plot but like this they sometimes hold valuable info

bakashijinsan
January 30, 2007, 12:19 AM
IMO, I think we really can't rely on the movies or any side stories in the anime since they're not really in line with the main story line (as OP_overlord said). Like in the movie where Chopper ate two rumble balls under two hours but got no side effects whereas in the manga, he had trouble transforming into whatever form he wants to transform to.

Maybe Oda has a definite explanation on how Luffy gets those ideas. Who knows, maybe they're all stock knowledge from when Garp was training him, leaving him in mountains and forests alone. I mean, being alone and trying to survive, you'll definitely learn many things to cope up.

damagichour
January 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
;) isnt it to soon. He only used gear 3 twice. :p What if Luff put gear 2+3 combined..........a speedy giant :smile-big

OP_overlord
January 30, 2007, 04:35 PM
that wouldnt be called a gear just super cool the gears are different

jairdan6
January 31, 2007, 10:58 PM
maybe gear 4 is fuel efficiency. 0_o. i d'know, maybe he gets a lot more stamina.

OP_overlord
January 31, 2007, 11:02 PM
yeah more stamina and he goes super rubbery and punches do nothing to him like bullets in his normaly form

xr3b0rn5inx
February 04, 2007, 07:06 AM
Gear 4 eh...hmmm my guess is Luffy can hit any element,woot!! XD

OP_overlord
February 04, 2007, 12:45 PM
that would be crazy but zoro has to learn that tech to so idk oda might give something different to luffy

ahfei
May 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
I was thinking since he is rubber, he can absorb the impact by strenthening his body by some method and return the impact. Then he is truely safe from all phsical attck.

Any idea?

I edited the thread title. Next time put more care when creating a new thread.

Siru
May 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
Kind of reminds me of his Gomu Gomu no Fuusen except stronger.

My thoughts on Gear 4 would be the strength of Gear 3 and the speed of Gear 2 put together. To make it even more broken, Luffy mastering all forms of Rokushiki. xD

triniman121
May 13, 2007, 06:09 PM
i think gear 4 would include all the abilities of gear 2 and 3. maybe luffy's appearance will change it bit like longer hair or something like that . but gear4 might have a HUGE drawback

OP_overlord
May 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
i think that that will be gear 5 and gear four will be him becomeing hard like a rock he will become slow and lose most of his ability to strech but he will become invunerable to attacks of any kinda: swords, punches,...

Anti-panda
May 14, 2007, 02:36 AM
i think that that will be gear 5 and gear four will be him becomeing hard like a rock he will become slow and lose most of his ability to strech but he will become invunerable to attacks of any kinda: swords, punches,...

I've got a similar idea except that .. he would tighten his body up decreasing his ability to streach but it would greatly increase his power without decreasing his speed. Kind of like a spring being coiled up then released ... But then again maybe i just wanna see a chibi luffy fight where he's not getting owned.

Paz42
May 14, 2007, 06:36 AM
ye i like the idea of gear 4 to be as both anti-panda and OP_overlord said that it will make luffys skin much stronger like he has become vulcanised. but i think that if oda goes as far as to have a gear 5 we may see that first. luffy combining gear 2nd and 3rd and when asked why he called it gear 5th saying somthing like gear 2nd + gear 3rd = gear 5th or somthing luffyesque like that

OP_overlord
May 14, 2007, 09:05 PM
yeah and thank kyou for telling me that term i forgot what it was and it was anoyying me to no end

Absolutio
May 17, 2007, 06:42 AM
wasnt there a thread like that already? O_o

Anyways, gear 4 might be liquid rubber - some sort of logia ability. =P

Impel Down
May 28, 2007, 07:33 AM
It should be a Gear 2/Gear 3 combo, I think. All the strength with high-speed.

OP_overlord
May 28, 2007, 10:54 PM
ok we only have three theories

1 - Gear 2 and 3 combinded so luffy is faster and stronger (it would be funny if in this gear he is chibi and people are always mocking him until he rocks them)

2 - he vulcanizes himself so that he becomes hard as a rock and thus invanurable (only problem he cant reverse it)

3 - he goes liquid rubber and become a logia DF user

does anyone have any other theoies beside these cause i cant think of many more that sound plausible

Impel Down
May 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
Maybe in Gear 4 he could eat a Rumble Ball and turn himself into diffrent kinds of plastic.

Anti-panda
May 29, 2007, 12:26 PM
Viscoelasticity......
basically luffy's body would become Hyper elastic ..
any stress or pressure of any kind would cause his body to streach out and disperse the force and then quickly return to and retain it's origional shape.
This would pretty much leave him invunerable because you couldn't cut, shoot or hit him. But it' would also pretty much leave him unable to attack either.

OP_overlord
May 30, 2007, 04:37 PM
the real question regarding the new gear is will he reveal/use it against Gekko in their fight or another boss

Impel Down
June 01, 2007, 03:30 PM
I doubt he's had time to invent another Gear by now. He's been sleeping since he beat Lucci, and they've reached Thriller Bark in like one day.

OP_overlord
June 01, 2007, 04:51 PM
im not sure he always thinks of these things ahead of time he is just in a fight and thinks that it will help him out so he trys it and it happens to work

i know that he was waiting to try out gear 2 but look at most of his other moves they are just made up on the spot

Impel Down
June 01, 2007, 05:55 PM
Eh, yeah, but he seemed to have Gear 3 planned out already too. I mean, most of the SHs make up their moves on the spot.

Absolutio
June 01, 2007, 07:34 PM
Gear 2 and 3 he thought up before his fights. He actually wanted to fight to check those moves out.
And I dont think that most of the SH make their moves on the spot. Zoro's swords' ranged attack was a known attack he was just been able to master at a fight. same with lots of his other moves (i think).
Sanji's "ultimate move" the burning legs, aint seem to be a made on the spot attack either.
Same with chopper, robin and usopp.
The only one who doesnt apply for this is Nami, and thats because she doesnt know her weapon too well till she begins to fight with it.

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 10:55 AM
Well, Usopp CAN'T have made his attacks up on the spot, since he can't just invent a star at once. But, he does create Shikimaru-esque stratagies on the spot. With Franky, it's also impossible to make up a move at once.

Anti-panda
June 02, 2007, 03:15 PM
Contrary to what you might think ... and despite all the excentric qualities that the strawhats possess most of them (except for luffy) seem to have decent heads on thier shoulders... (Ohh except for sanji Around women too.) So it's not surprising that they have moves and techniques thought out in advance. The two exceptions are Zoro and Luffy .. luffy pretty much does trial and error.. or gets inspired by something he see's. Zoro seems to reach some sort of swordsman enlightened state when hes a hairs breath from being dead.

I personally am of the philosphy that we wont see anymore "Gears" out of luffy ... it'll be something totally different to take him over the top.

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 04:09 PM
Well, yeah, Luffy uses pure creativity for his, so he's pretty smart in that sense. Most of Sanji's attacks, save for his Diable Jambe moves, were just powerful kicks when he had the best opportunity, not really something that you have to make up.

Akainu
June 02, 2007, 04:28 PM
About all that Gear stuff _ I think this arc will bring some improvement at least to Luffy.
With his shadow being (over-)streched through Oz it will imho make his Gear3 more stable and prevent him from the backlash to his chibi version.
Moreover I think theres not gonna be anymore Gear this and that as that would just be lame, at least as long as he doesnt really improve the old ones ...

did I get that right that evreytime he pumps his blood through his body faster than normal (aka Gear 2) he shortens his lifetime or was that just Lucci manipulating during the fight???

Impel Down
June 02, 2007, 04:52 PM
Just because Luffy just started jumping up and shot up multiple notches doesn't mean he will every single arc now

Akainu
June 02, 2007, 05:17 PM
In my opinion 2 were too much last arc so no new ones unless he gets better with the old - thats all I was saying. Could be perhaps that #3 was just in preparation for this arc though. Thus my conlusion about the current arc helping Luffy, see?

Impel Down
June 03, 2007, 07:40 AM
I think Gear Third was just like a foreshadowing gear, so he'll use it in a final battle or something. But, Gear Second fit in perfectly, I think.

OP_overlord
June 03, 2007, 10:05 PM
i could see that

i think that him useing the third gear was foreshadowing aswell

luffy will use his 3rd gear to fight OZ but that will not do much so he will have to make a new one to bat himself

Impel Down
June 04, 2007, 09:06 AM
If he ever does fight Oz, which I highly doubt. Moria, maybe he'll use it against,but it doesn't seem like he'll need to. Moria's just a large man.

ForteAnly
June 04, 2007, 01:29 PM
If anything his Gear 4 would be like a Super Saiyan 2 which gives him the befits of both Gear 2 and 3 without any of the side effects. Remember Oda loves dragon ball.

Impel Down
June 04, 2007, 01:45 PM
Well, I think the Gears things is already a reference to the different Super Sayian levels. After all, he does love DBZ. But I doubt he's going to rip DBZ off THAT much with Gear 4 (even though that's totally what we've all guessed)

OP_overlord
June 04, 2007, 10:34 PM
i wouldnt be that sad if he did rip them off like that it was a great show and who doesnt love it but i would be amazed if Oda didnt put his own twist on it all

Anti-panda
June 05, 2007, 02:25 AM
If anything his Gear 4 would be like a Super Saiyan 2 which gives him the befits of both Gear 2 and 3 without any of the side effects. Remember Oda loves dragon ball.

Oda loves dragon ball .. but he also does his own thing. I mean aside from Op and Dragonball both essentially being tales based on the story of the monkey king... They aren't really all that similar... Oda has methodology and reason behind why things are the way they are.. and how things work... EX gear 2nd vs kaoken... gear 2nd had a process .. kaoken .. well even Akira Toriyama said thats how it works just trust me... he had no reason behind it...

Hey maybe Gear 5 will be luffy turning into a giant monkey that shoots flaming turds?? JK

I don't think there ever will be a gear 4 ... I think luffy will gain power in some other totally different way... rather than augmenting his body in some way.

Kikuna992
June 05, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'dont know, just an idea but...
I can see Luffy becoming super super hot during Gear 2 and then he melting!!! This could be gear 4!!! It would be very comical and it would give some immunity lto swords and physical attacks in general ike the Logia Fruit users.

OP_overlord
June 05, 2007, 04:50 PM
it works but how does he get back together to look like normal when he is done being a blob
he also cant attack when like that, well people could spill on him and hurt their head

Coiledice
July 14, 2007, 04:33 AM
I'm wondering if Luffy have a 4th Gear..
Maybe he can fuse 2nd gear and 3rd Gear..
What do you think??

MARIMOOOO
July 14, 2007, 04:43 AM
if he fuse 2nd gear n 3rd gear i though he's become a huge giant

That was cool...

Coiledice
July 14, 2007, 04:47 AM
Jet Giant! lol

ninjaa
July 18, 2007, 03:27 AM
Well I was thinking about things made out of rubber but what if he becomes a tire or a ball during Gear 4 that would be pretty crazy!

triniman121
July 18, 2007, 11:51 PM
IF their is a a gear 4 i think it will change luffy's appearance a bit. he will become much more faster than that of gear 2 and stronger than gear 3. but the downsides will be the same as gear 2 & 3

variety927
July 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
lol a giant monkey luffy....i would pay big bucks to see that....

but seriously why would he be called monkey d. luffy if he couldnt turn into a monkey? :D

bopnoh10
April 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
Please excuse my ignorance if this has already been discussed as I am new to the board. I think Luffy's next gear should be somehow heating up the rubber to make it super hard. Pardon my nerdiness as I'm a scientist, but remember that rubber is a polymer and thus can be manipulated to become not only flexible and malleable, but also can be hardened by heat to make plastic. Think rubber tires even. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas of his next gear?

Another possibility that I've been throwing around is that the crew meets Dr. Vegapunk who teaches/educates or "modifies" the devil-fruit users of the crew to enable them to expand/transcend their limits and also gives a much needed upgrade to Frankie (remember that Dr. Vegapunk made Kuma).

Merged with existing thread.

MaydayParade
June 07, 2008, 10:48 AM
(This topic is pretty old, but I have found a good theory about Gear 4 on dA. Credit goes to KukriBlades (http://kukriblades.deviantart.com/).)

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/301/3/0/Luffy__s_gear_4th_by_KukriBlades.jpg

By KukriBlades
This is my little idea about gear 4th power up(if there will be one).

the basic of gear 4th is density. It means, on this stats Luffy's rubber mass get extremely denser than normal. It's so dense that Luffy's body looks overflowing(Imagine Venom or Carnage from Spiderman, something like that)

His speed is a bit slower than normal but faster than gear 3rd...

And his power approaching gear 3rd...

general sword's slash can't hurt him...

the specialty of this stat, He could even use his forehead skin to stretch and attack foe with high damage, It's all because of his dense rubber mass

The attack's names, like gear 2nd and 3rd, is accesoried with word 'Akuma' (means devil). Like "Akuma Pistol"

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs19/f/2007/302/d/7/Luffy__s_Gear_4th_Akuma_Hanabi_by_KukriBlades.jpg

by KukriBlades
Like I said in my theory before, Luffy gear 4th is a stat where Luffy's body got extremely denser than normal.

This form also get speciality too. It's like Kumadori's "Seimei Kikan". It's an ability that allow you to control even the smallest part of your body. like nails or hair.

Related to Luffy, in this form Luffy not only able to stretch his usual part like hands, leg, or neck. But also his skin and hair.

how about the damage? since Luffy's rubber mass is much denser now, a single finger stretch can even make a value able damage(imagine stretching "Shigan" from rokushiki)

Now about the pic, a usuall gomu gomu No hanabi technique(Luffy used this in Skypiea) takes only Luffy's hand and leg. But in gear 4th, His entire skin is the one who do the job. It's more like a pumping technique. and it do damages 4 times harder than normal Hanabi did.

The attack name is "Gomu gomu No Akuma Hanabi"

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs21/i/2007/303/b/9/How_gear_4th_works_by_KukriBlades.jpg

by KukriBlades
This is a simple explanation How my gear 4th version works :

Luffy's body's so dense in this form, his body looks overflowing. look at first panel(from right to left).

Since he's rubber, this overflowing mass can be pumped into any parts of his body. I'll take right hand as example. look at 2nd panel

Now his arm hold a huge ammount of mass and energy, It's REALLY heavy and the energy need to be transfered. So it exploded, but since Luffy's rubber, the explosion is mutated into a strong stretching fist. look at the last panel

LoS
June 07, 2008, 08:38 PM
I dont know what gear 4's capabilities would be if there even is one, but I think Luffy will develop 5 gears total.

Think about it, Luffy's journey is about half way done, he has developed 2 gears(gear 2 and gear3) before embarking on the New World. Now as he enters the new world, the second half of his journey, it would compliment him to develop another half of power so to say. So Luffy will become twice as powerful as he currently is if he does indeed develop 5 gears.

So Luffy created 2 gears in the first half, and will create 2 more gears in the second half.

Plus 5 gears is a fitting number, many cars have 5 gears lol.

hot_chips
June 08, 2008, 01:50 AM
I think Luffy will just stretch out and compact himself making his body extremely hard. But restricts his abilities to stretch by half.
Tada gear 4.

Devil-buster
June 17, 2008, 12:38 AM
Here is what I want gear 4 to be.....well we all know luffy is good at figuring out battle strategies and assimilating techniques....what if he assimilated "Nightmare luffy"....I dont know how but what if he finds someway to replicate that form....I mean he was superfast and super strong when he was in that form....and it didnt have any side effects like gear 2 or 3...but he did faint because of the shadows but in this case since there is not shadow use...I mean he threw around oz like it was nothing...it would be a great gear 4.....http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6915/121zo0.jpg

LoS
June 17, 2008, 02:09 AM
The problem with Nightmare Luffy is that is is nearly completely reliant on someone other than Luffy's power. Luffy is doing the movements and thinking, but the fuel providing him power is not his own.

Luffy could make himself those exact same dimensions as Nightmare Luffy by breathing in a large air intake. But he would have to go gear 2 then do the large air intake to be that big and fast, so who knows how he could replicate it.

kkck
June 17, 2008, 12:12 PM
What if luffy does something to make himself smarter like using his rubbery qualies to shorten the distance between his braincells and reduce the distance between the cells that make up his nervous system. This would make hs smarter and mprove his reacton time lol.

LoS
June 17, 2008, 04:39 PM
Well we have already seen Luffy combine gears 2 & 3, so we can rule out some enhancement of that form. I am guessing we will have to see something completely different.

goldb
June 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
maybe since we've seen gear 3rd only being used to enlarge certain body parts, maybe gear 4 will be the whole body being huge, like a giant? but that's too dangerous for him to do right?

bittman
June 17, 2008, 07:05 PM
Well if we look at it this way:
Gear 2 = speed
Gear 3 = strength
So Gear 4 = defence?

Truthfully it will either be a ridiculously long time until we see another gear or gear 4 will just make 2 and 3 appear useless by comparison. As it is Luffy hasn't quite perfected gear 3rd (since his speed really drops) and appears unbeatable while in 2nd or 3rd gears. Luffy only invented 2 and 3 after meeting an enemy who was almost immune to his standard attacks, so gear 4 would need to be something which is able to either overpower 2 and 3 or create a new way to fight other than Luffy's impressive speed and strength.

RichardMNixon
June 17, 2008, 08:36 PM
I had an idea similar to all of the people talking about increasing his density, but also in the other direction. What if he could fully control his density, including decreasing it? He could make himself super dense, but he could also make his body into silly putty, so flexible that even a sword would bend it instead of cutting it.

The seimei-kikan would be awesome in the same way, if a spear came at his chest he could just bend himself into a C-shape, kind of like Fukurou's slime move.
I guess those aren't really as transformational as the other gears though.

LoS
June 17, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well if we look at it this way:
Gear 2 = speed
Gear 3 = strength
So Gear 4 = defence?

That would be eerily similar to the CP9 style of fighting. Ryokushinkin or whatever users they are called.

Tekkai for defense etc al. Luffy developed both gears 2 & 3 before facing them, he had seen Soru in person but had already been developing gear 2 before fighting against them.

Plus Luffy already has a semi-defense, when he blows himself up into a balloon he deflects nearly all attacks anyway.

firework
April 25, 2009, 10:54 PM
id like something other than speed and strength, he has those already

how about buffed up endurance body?; but that would be bones so it would be a different version of gear 3rd

how about a chibi luffy with massive speed?; but thatd be like pumping air out of the body...that works!

Rotten The Wizard
April 26, 2009, 12:08 AM
Gear 4?
Seriously, this is One Piece not Naruto or Bleach. Oda doesnt recycle ideas, he created gear 2 and 3 at the same time so I doubt there will be a "gear 4".

We all know what Luffy's next fighting technique will be.....

Razh
April 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
It wouldn't be recycling of ideas. Frankly, I would admire Oda even more if he came up with something original, while believable enough at the same time.

But I'm not too sure that there will ever be Gear 4. Not in the nearer future anyway. Plus now there is an alternate way of gaining greater fighting power.

beastboy
April 27, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think that when he will be about to lose some battle he thinks, "oh wheen I was thinking in some tecnics I found this one and it was cool, but a little unusefull, but it fits now"
GEAR FOURTH

Oblivion
April 28, 2009, 06:08 AM
i think just as luffy evolved all of his attacks with gear 2 and 3, he might evolve the gears with haki.

the gears as they are now are all about strenght, but strenght alone wont help him fight a logia user, nore would density/defense help him avoid ice/light-laser attacks. the axe guy on shabondy just reflected luffy's attacks.

i has to deal with haki. haki enhanced punches maybe??

beastboy
April 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
what about gear 4 be the complete "robot" that unties all the SH in one (the one that franky usopp and chopper usedin TB.

Lord Rayleigh
April 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
i think just as luffy evolved all of his attacks with gear 2 and 3, he might evolve the gears with haki.

The problem is that the gears 2 and 3 can only be used by Luffy because it is a derivation of his DF powers whereas Haki can be used by a lot of people. So, I would not like to see Haki as a 4th gear.

bittman
April 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
Yeah, Haki is an upgrade. I mean, if it's Gear 4 using Haki with a normal attack, what is using Haki with gear 2? Gear 8? Then Gear 12?

Like Lord Rayleigh said, Gears are a direct result of Luffy's Devil Fruit, not his raw strength, straw hat, haki or black hair. The only way Haki will be the main feature of a Gear 4 is if it somehow lets him manipulate his rubber body in a brand new way that changes his battle style.