PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach 275 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
May 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
275. United Front 2 [Red and White]

Woo boy, this going to be one hell of a turnaround.

Before I start, a little background. After quickly going through the RAW the first time, I was shocked by how Renji managed to not only trap, but actually do serious damage to Zaeruapollo. Then, after seeing Ishida pull a Hatenkou on Zael with Seelen Schneider, I was just pissed. Declaring that this chapter could make the fight “the worst in the entire series”, I waited in a huff for the chapter to come out and hopefully prove me wrong.

It did.

After Kyuubi_no_Gaki quelled my mostly unfounded rage through reason, and reading the scanlated version, I must say that this chapter was pretty good. That’s not to say it doesn’t have any problems, but it definitely didn't deserve the 2 out of 5 I was planning to give it if the translation didn’t clear things up.

First what I liked:

- After all the floundering and Apollo’s arrogant indignation, it was refreshing to see Renji finally take a chunk out of him.
- The random filler with Pesche and Dondochizzle was actually funny.
- The way Kubo rendered the sequence where Renji captured Apollo looked amazing.
- Ishida saying “peace out, biatch” in Spanish before owning Apollo was immensely satisfying.
- The very last panel, with Ishida calmly walking away from the Kamehameha-level blast, was one of the most badass in the series.

Now, what I didn’t like:

- There was NO progress made on any of the other subplots in the arc. Which is a bit of a problem, since this fight is the one I’m least interested in.
- The chapter went through everything too fast, especially near the end. Instead of the random Desert Brothers banter, Kubo could’ve easily used that panel space to explain how those Seelen Schneider weren’t sealed or how they made such a big explosion when they’re just modified arrow-swords. Everything just felt so rushed.
- Why was Renji able to do so much damage with the Kidou if he sucks at it? If he isn’t good at controlling the strength of the blast, then wasn’t it a bit too convenient for it to be that strong?
- The cover was really lame, especially compared to the first United Front chapter.

Overall, it was a decent read, but the hurried pacing and the random conveniences in Ishida’s plot hurt it. But, on a very high note, the fight’s probably not going to last much longer, which means that updates on everyone else are virtually unavoidable. So I’m really looking forward to that.

Rating – 3.5 out of 5 (Good)

Quartz-pebble
May 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
Good Review. I pretty much agree with everything you've stated....

Huh....I can't say I was expecting them to pull something off. This seems like another win to me, mostly because it's a fitting villian defeat compared to A'Roniro's. At the time I was like "Naw, she just stabbed ONE head". Seriously. :P

Either way, what I said about the last chapter still stands. That being, if they -did- beat Apollo, there's still not much more they can do. Still 8 more Espada out there.

gigantor21
May 19, 2007, 08:15 PM
^ Heh..."stabbed one head"? You and half the forum (myself included), buddy.

And the power issue has been ever-present since they got there, regardless of how Kubo tries to blind us from the truth. That's even more stark now, since Ishida's the only relatively healthy person left--and if Apollo stays and fights (which I doubt), then Ishida's fucked.

A rescue now would be nice. It'd be perfect if that was set up with the power Noritora went after.

momotaro84
May 19, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hi there, gigantor21.
This was a great review indeed. Really liked it.

Just wanted to comment your statement about Renji's kidou.
If I remember correctly when Renji was in the Academy and was training hadou no 31, he did it with the full incantation and the result was an immensely powerful blast that scared the living daylights out of everyone around him, and did a lot of damage (mostly to him). So I think that in essence Renji doesn't lack reiatsu, nor power, he only lacks control. That explains why he wanted a point blank shot.

gigantor21
May 19, 2007, 08:45 PM
^ Really!? I don't remember that at all! Was it in one of the volume side-stories or something?

momotaro84
May 19, 2007, 09:21 PM
I really don't remember... I am sure I saw it somewhere, and I'm pretty certain it wasn't a dream (although that's not excluded:). I think I remember seeing it in the anime somewhere so it might have been a filler, maybe the Bounto arc. However, even if it was only a filler it's still got some merit.

gigantor21
May 19, 2007, 09:48 PM
If it was the anime, then my best guess is that it was a filler scene in the Hina-Kira-Renji flashback episode. I can't for the life of me think of anywhere else in which we saw Renji training at the academy, and there wasn't a scene like that in the manga version. So it may very well be a non-manga scene made into canon by Kubo.

Luckas
May 20, 2007, 04:52 AM
If it was the anime, then my best guess is that it was a filler scene in the Hina-Kira-Renji flashback episode. I can't for the life of me think of anywhere else in which we saw Renji training at the academy, and there wasn't a scene like that in the manga version. So it may very well be a non-manga scene made into canon by Kubo.If I remember right in the anime before the bounto arc sometimes they expanded a little things, but this was done well and the scenes were inspired by some extra chapter, as chapter zero where we see Renji just after his promotion as vice-captain.