PDA

View Full Version : Review ANBU4U's Naruto Review, 356

ANBU4U
June 02, 2007, 08:51 PM
ANBU4U's Naruto Review

Chapter 356

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6397/chapter357colorspreadsr8.jpg
This is possibly the most atrocious spread I've ever seen

Well, I finally decided to start reviewing Naruto. With school over and GK on sabbatical it just felt like the right time. I'll try to keep this going until September at least.

The images I'm using are from Bludshock Scanlations. Thanks a million to Kylara who found the RAW for us and Nihongaeri who translated it. I think I'm fine, but if there's any problem with me using any of these images just let me know and I'll do everything I can to rectify the mistake.
I'd also like to thank Sahugani, while he didn't help me directly I based the format of my review off his. They come off so crisp I couldn't help myself, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? Anyway, lets get this thing started.

Unknowing Rivals

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6883/chapter356karinandsakurxk6.png
Until I see the Anime I just can't look at this and think 'Red-head'

Last weeks chapter leaves us with a classic cliffhanger "who is stalking our hero's?" And in true dramatic fashion this weeks chapter immediately picks up where the last left off...only to cut away before anything is revealed. The good news is it takes us to this little scene. It seems that rather than following Sasuke's scent particularly Sakura's nin-dog has been smelling remnants of Sasuke's scent on one of his "hebi" underlings...Karin.

Interesting.....this scene is definitely foreshadowing some sort of conflict between the two shinobi in the future.....but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It seems almost as if Karin was created to give Sakura someone to fight...which is well...lame. I'd like it if Kishi mixed it up and had Sakura fight.....Oh say Suigetsu, now wouldnt that be interesting?

An Old Friend?

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5236/chapter356kabutoemergesaw4.png
I used to love this guy, and if done right he'll become an excellent villain

After Sakura loses track of Sasuke's scent the scence immediately changes back to our cliffhanger. The fact that it switched to Naruto and not back to Sasuke should have told you where Diedara was without having to turn another page.

I'm genuinely happy to see Kabuto back, he had a great amount of depth and mystery for the face time he was alloted and always gave you the feeling he had an alterior motive. Whether he actually did or not is almost irrelevant. But why is he here?

One Track Mind

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/2427/chapter356sasukeobsessidh2.png
This is almost officially old now, Naruto's obsession with Sasuke almost defies logic....without Yaoi interpretations

Of course the first thing Naruto asks upon realizing who's behind them is "Is Sasuke ok?" Understandable perhaps.....but endlessly lame. He's like a panicked girlfriend whos boyfriend forgot to call her after work. I beg of you Kishi, give Naruto something...anything to strive for other than Sasuke's return after this arc. At any rate Kabuto takes this moment to offer Naruto a 'gift', potentially everything he needed to know about Akatsuki on a golden platter. And why you ask would he do this? We'll come back to this.

Idiocy with a Purpose

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2701/chapter356idiocywithpurvv0.png
Tobi's such a good boy

Finally, back to the good stuff. As you already knew by now Akatsuki awaits Sasuke...but it's not Diedara who greets Sasuke...it's Tobi acting goofy as usual. Or is he?

I've always thought it was fairly clear that Tobi wasn't the moron he appeared to be...but rather (much like Naruto) it was just in his nature to act like a imbecile. Still, there's method to his madness as this scene shows, and no doubt....the boy can fight.

Tobi greets Sasuke all alone then immediately mentions his brother to get a rise out of him. After receiving a predictably angry look at the mention of Itachi's name Tobi comically runs back to the tree line because he thought Sasuke looked "scary". Yea...that and because he knew damn well Deidara was about to drop a nuke on Sasuke's head. Brilliant, if an utter waste of effort.

This is why I'm Hot

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1323/chapter356sasukeandthesrf1.png
Ok, say what you want..but this manga would lose half of its cool factor without Sasuke

Seems as though we can finally put outright summoning on Sasuke's resume....about time, as its been alluded in spreads since what? Chapter 7? All thats left now is Sakura.

The funny thing is, the giant snake Sasuke summoned in an instant to protect himself from Deidara's bombs isn't even the best part of this scene...but rather it's the look Sasuke gives before dismissing his summon. The guys clearly annoyed and insulted that they'd even try such an attack.

Classic.

On a side note: I'm excited that we'll finally be able to measure Sasuke's skill relative to Naruto and Co. Thus far all we've gotten is some wicked snipits (CS1, CS2, Chidori Nagashi, Chidori Sword, Swordplay, Speed, Summoning, Genjutsu, and extreme finesse) but now we'll finally see how that comes together against true S-ranked shinobi.....shinobi that we know first-hand are powerfull, and who we can compare to other characters ability...i.e. Kakashi and Naruto.

I've had enough of the hype, its time to put the debates to a stop.

Rebirth

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5791/chapter356rebirthxs1.png
You can only be reborn once a lifetime

Ok so back to Kabuto's 'gift'. Apparently Naruto's infectious personality has struck yet again...but this time with a twist. As Kabuto has decided to imitate Naruto's drive to become recognized for his own abilities by taking in and surpassing Orochimaru. This brings up an interesting scenario as.....Kishi is not going to have two semi-oro's walking around plotting domination.

1) It's redundant
2) Oro just isn't THAT good of a villain

So I personally think we can put to bed Oro living on through Sasuske. While I do think his memories are alive in Sasuke somewhere...I think with these new developments its safe to say they are completely under Sasuke's command. Oro is no more alive in Sasuke now then Gen'yumaru was alive after Oro took him over. Orochimaru's deception and scheming will live on through Kabuto as he will become the next great threat after the Akatsuki are dismantled. If this is the case it may even be Sasuke's knowledge of Orochimaru that helps the the good guys tackle Kabuto's future mechanisms.

Closing Thoughts

Not a bad chapter at all. It gave me some closure on the whole Sasuke/Orochimaru deal, re-introduced Kabuto, set up elements for future arcs, and topped it all off with a scene of Sasuke doing what Sasuke does best. Makin' it look good. Still, it wasn't epic so I'm only going to give it a 4 stars out of 5. I'm really looking forward to whats next.

If you're curious about my predictions for future chapter's here you are: http://www.mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=417966#post417966

sahugani
June 02, 2007, 09:13 PM
nice review man. only issue would be the color of your captions as yellow is a bit hard to see. i know from experience you made a lot of good points in the boards so i'm glad to see you starting up here.

as for the foreshadowing of Sakura/Karin, i for one don't see a real clash of Hebi and Team 7 in the future as both have bigger fish to fry. we may get a little spat as they first meet and before they are interrupted. for such a small encounter going with the obvious pairings of Naruto/Sasuke (duh), Sakura/Karin (uncombative rivalry to replace Ino), Sai/Suigetsu (i like the brother theory), and Yamato/Juugo (two of Oro's favorite experiments) would make sense as surprises in techniques wouldn't be needed

as for the rest, i'm in pretty much complete agreement and i have more reviews to do, so i'll leave it at that

ANBU4U
June 02, 2007, 09:31 PM
nice review man. only issue would be the color of your captions as yellow is a bit hard to see. i know from experience you made a lot of good points in the boards so i'm glad to see you starting up here.

as for the foreshadowing of Sakura/Karin, i for one don't see a real clash of Hebi and Team 7 in the future as both have bigger fish to fry. we may get a little spat as they first meet and before they are interrupted. for such a small encounter going with the obvious pairings of Naruto/Sasuke (duh), Sakura/Karin (uncombative rivalry to replace Ino), Sai/Suigetsu (i like the brother theory), and Yamato/Juugo (two of Oro's favorite experiments) would make sense as surprises in techniques wouldn't be needed

as for the rest, i'm in pretty much complete agreement and i have more reviews to do, so i'll leave it at that

Thanks man, I appreciate it. This is a lot of work though...just going through the motions of my first review took about 2 hours. Still it's worth it.

I used yellow because I myself use the Dark V-Bulletin page layout...but I suppose most people don't? I'll switch it next review to something that works with a lot of different color schemes, I just didn't want to use blue like yourself.

Best of luck with your reviews.

gigantor21
June 02, 2007, 10:17 PM
Very nice. You should do Bleach, too, if you're up for it, since you obviously know what you're talking about and can articulate it well.

It's very rare for me to pop up around here, but the development with Kabuto was too juicy to sit on and your take on it really got to me. I loved how Kishi used a sort of negative version of Naruto's villain-healing powers-- especially when they inadvertantly set the stage for a villain with the potential to surpass Akatsuki's members. I was really peeved at how Kishi seemed to keep throwing Team 7 at Sasuke, and this definitely made up for that.

I wasn't really excited about anything else, since it was all pretty obvious once Kabuto showed up. He basically got me back into the story on his own.

CopyNinjaKakashi
June 03, 2007, 01:11 AM
Nice review man! Yeah, I never realized how much work goes into making a review until now, but it is well worth it. It helps you digest the material better. I too thought that Kishi was foreshadowing a cat fight between Karin and Sakura, but only time will tell. It will be interesting to see how the remnants of Orochimaru are resolved. It would be redundant if he lived on in both Sasuke and Kabuto. It is clear that Kabuto has Orochimaru inside of him in some form. Should provide for some good upcoming chapters. Keep up the good work.

ornis
June 03, 2007, 03:27 AM
Good work. Continue, ANBU4U.

And on Unknowing Rivals, I don't think Sakura should fight Suigetsu, not only because she already fought Sasori (with Chiyo's help) but because she needs to grow further by way of a common battle, a feminine distinction...

I believe Sakura needs to confront a great kunoichi to redefine herself as a worthy kunoichi ... chakra punches against shinobi are only so great as they bring a shinobi and Kunoichi on comparable terms mockingly and or sympathetically (the chakra punches allow me to sympathize with the way Tsunade can be related to a man by physical force alone).

I don't see any males who could completely challenge Sakura (mentally, spiritually, and physically) except for Itachi and Itachi uses mostly reactive forces he doesn't really prevent things, he hurts or destroys things, and frees himself after he wades in a crappy predicament. Sasuke and Shika are "off-topic" to me.

This setup Kishi has passed at us *wink* shows that Sakura has a potential climb to make, she needs to grow more, and Karin is a great obstacle that can arouse Sakura's "accent."

gigantor21
June 03, 2007, 10:33 AM
^ Hmm...on Sakura, I understand where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. At this point, just about everyone expects a Karin-Sakura fight sometime in the future. Kishi was rather blatant in setting it up, considering how she's whored herself out to Sasuke since she was introduced.

But the thing is, I believe that all of the Hebi members are viable contenders to the Konoha team, if only because they got the attention of Akatsuki. Since we only found out about them all a month ago, the fact that their even being considered a possible threat to a group Itachi can align with is pretty impressive. My guess is that they're all in the same ballpark as Sasuke, so I highly doubt anyone besides Yamato and Kakashi could face them down alone.

So the only way Sakura would get a crack at Karin is if she isn't as strong as Kishi implied with the others, which would diminish the confrontation considerably. Plus, it seems unlikely that Sasuke would let her come just because she can use her jutsu as support--if they're going after Itachi and Kisame, then they can't have any dead weight.

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 12:19 PM
Agreed, I find the concept of the kunoichi that Kishi has set up almost.....trite.

He goes through the trouble of showing us that kunoichi can be as strong as any shinobi and yet he often goes back on himself by relegating them to secondary roles. The only true exception is Temari to great effect.

If Sakura has to essentially prove herself against other women before she's allowed to play with the big boy's its almost like saying 'sure women can fight, but only their queen can fight with us.' Still, I wont act like there's not precedent for such a take...but Sakura is supposed to be the exception. Being the physically weaker sex kishi has upheld some historic roles and had his kunoichi fight from afar, or with skills that favor their strengths (if somewhat stereotypically). But with Sakura he creates an interesting inverse in that...she's stronger in a sense, than any shinobi. So why not have her fight one? Alone.

I'm truly curious to see how she'd handle herself...and I must admit I don't think it'd be well......as she seems the most....shaken, by the concept of hunting Sasuke and Itachi.

ornis
June 03, 2007, 01:46 PM
^ Hmm...on Sakura, I understand where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. At this point, just about everyone expects a Karin-Sakura fight sometime in the future. Kishi was rather blatant in setting it up, considering how she's whored herself out to Sasuke since she was introduced.

But the thing is, I believe that all of the Hebi members are viable contenders to the Konoha team, if only because they got the attention of Akatsuki. Since we only found out about them all a month ago, the fact that their even being considered a possible threat to a group Itachi can align with is pretty impressive. My guess is that they're all in the same ballpark as Sasuke, so I highly doubt anyone besides Yamato and Kakashi could face them down alone.

So the only way Sakura would get a crack at Karin is if she isn't as strong as Kishi implied with the others, which would diminish the confrontation considerably. Plus, it seems unlikely that Sasuke would let her come just because she can use her jutsu as support--if they're going after Itachi and Kisame, then they can't have any dead weight.

You're right---If all of Hebi is on par with Sasuke, any Hebi member can seemingly trample Sakura. But Sakura, as ANBU4U agrees, is supposed to be an exceptional fighter---so I thought she would find a challenge in confronting Karin... Though I see you believe Sakura's weak.... Well, she has yet to have a worthy competitor trump her, post-Tsunade apprenticeship. And she should succeed Tsunade---yet another atypical kunoichi who fights squarely with shinobi even at 50+

Honestly, If real shinobi aren't presently opposed to Sakura's rep this new crew shouldn't stand up to her... she won't grow. Pin her against a Yamato or Kabuto type. But I'm hoping Karin compares.

And just to sweat Sakura, having Karin beat a Konoha shinobi before brushing with Sakura, would setup a great contest.

I wouldn't mind if Sakura braves Sasuke, but she has an obvious handicap against him... so, perhaps that'd be a better wall to climb >.> Does it have to be suicide?

The predictable setup is trite, isn't it, ANBU4U...

gigantor21
June 03, 2007, 04:19 PM
^ No, I don't think Sakura is weak. I just think that Kishi didn't do a good job of setting up a Karin-Sakura match, because precedent suggests that Karin's way stronger right now. After all, Sakura couldn't have possibly beaten Sasori without Chiyo's help, while Karin is in league with a team comprised of:

Orochimaru's killer,
The kid heralded as "Zabuza The 2nd",
and the source of the Cursed Seal.

Keeping that in mind, and the fact that Akatsuki is considering the team a threat, Karin's going to have to be one ridiculously powerful foe to justify her membership in Hebi. So if Kishi expects us to believe that Sakura can win one-on-one now, he's got another thing coming. But I could see her losing during a match in this arc, then training up and fighting Karin again after Hebi and Akatsuki's plans move further forward. That'd be a lot more believable than Sakura winning if they fight each other in the near future.

Mendes
June 03, 2007, 05:41 PM
Great Review ANBU4U, congrats.

I was about to ask you to change the color of the image comment, set as yellow, coz it's hard to see in the normal version of this forum, but you said you had the "Dark V-Bulletin page layout". Can you pls tell me where did you get that version?

Anyway, I'd just like to suggest you to number your topics, so that we can bring them faster into the discussion of the review.

As for the comments, I definitively agree with your appeal in the second topic, about naruto being nothing more than a "panicked girlfriend whos boyfriend forgot to call her after work" (loool for the expression). Naruto sure needs to find something to live for other than trying to find his best friend. I would understand he could be doing this for sakura, the girl he loves, so she could find sasuke... but naruto seems to be doing this for himself. Sasuke already left for his own will, already told him to mind his own business and he's not in danger at all, since he killed Oro. Sasuke is just trying to fulfill his destiny, by killing his brother. Naruto should just respect what his Former-Best friend has accomplished and start his way to his own dream.

About Tobi, I never felt like he was weak or a moron at all. I think he's purpose to act like that is just so he gets underestimated more easily. Usually ninja that dont keep their cool and cold blood against an opponent (just like Naruto usually does, at least b4 time skip) get underestimated. Most likely Tobi uses that in his advantage, but I dont believe it will be useful to him now, as he's up against Sasuke. He's arrogant, but he knows what an akatsuki member means. This will be interesting and I hope we'll get to confirm or discard the Tobi = Obito theory soon. I personally dont think so, but i guess it's possible...

After all this time, we've seen Sasuke do every kind of jutsu, other than... summoning. Now we've seen it, and what a summon it is. Such a huge snake, summoned so quickly. Not only sasuke realized of the presence of the enemy from above, but he realized what kind of attack it was, and defended himself with impressive speed, efficiency and class, as always. This may sound like I'm a fan, but that was definitively cool, and until naruto shows something else, there's no possible comparison between him and sasuke right now in my view.

I agree this kabuto's revelation completely ended the possibility of Oro being alive inside Sasuke. The purpose of Oro's death was Kabuto's rebirth, as you said. We're yet to know how did Kabuto did something like that... he sure is a genius medical nin, but that was impressive. Another thing that looks impressive to me is how Kabuto joined evil organizations, joined bloody villains and did all for them, without having a superior motive to do it. He was even willing to sacrifice his body and soul for Orochimaru... I always wondered what moves this guy, what does he live for, then? And assuming he was being honest to naruto, he apparently has no reason to live for... but to be part of something important... having an identity. Those things he could have done while he lived in a village , instead of spying them. Kabuto is evil, and he is up to something. I think he will be the next villain, and that left eye he got only supports me. We may have a glimpse of Kabuto's past in the near future. We know only what consisted on his record, and what he told naruto. As we cant confirm his sincerity for now, it'd be nice to view that for ourselves.

Keep the reviews coming ANBU4U :P
[hr]

^ No, I don't think Sakura is weak. I just think that Kishi didn't do a good job of setting up a Karin-Sakura match, because precedent suggests that Karin's way stronger right now. After all, Sakura couldn't have possibly beaten Sasori without Chiyo's help, while Karin is in league with a team comprised of:

Orochimaru's killer,
The kid heralded as "Zabuza The 2nd",
and the source of the Cursed Seal.

Keeping that in mind, and the fact that Akatsuki is considering the team a threat, Karin's going to have to be one ridiculously powerful foe to justify her membership in Hebi. So if Kishi expects us to believe that Sakura can win one-on-one now, he's got another thing coming. But I could see her losing during a match in this arc, then training up and fighting Karin again after Hebi and Akatsuki's plans move further forward. That'd be a lot more believable than Sakura winning if they fight each other in the near future.

I agree with you as well. Sakura is probably weaker than Karin right now. At least that's what it seems for now.
The match is destined to happen, but i think Sakura will loose. When Sasuke was about to leave the Leaf, Sakura tried everything to stop him (at least everything in the words department). She even asked to come along with him, and fight Itachi together. When Sakura learns the wrong way she's weaker than Karin, she will try as hard as she cans to prove Sasuke she can be more reliable than her new rival

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 06:50 PM
Great Review ANBU4U, congrats.

I was about to ask you to change the color of the image comment, set as yellow, coz it's hard to see in the normal version of this forum, but you said you had the "Dark V-Bulletin page layout". Can you pls tell me where did you get that version?

Go to your personal control panel, there's a link on the left hand side of the page just below the 'manga dropdown'. Once you're there look at the bottom left of the panel and you'll see the 'quick style' drop down. They're a lot of choices but I personally prefer dark as it allows you to see all font colors well...and it just looks nice.

Thanks for the praise, I really appreciate it.

Anyway, I'd just like to suggest you to number your topics, so that we can bring them faster into the discussion of the review.

I'll start doing that, thanks.

As for the comments, I definitively agree with your appeal in the second topic, about naruto being nothing more than a "panicked girlfriend whos boyfriend forgot to call her after work" (loool for the expression). Naruto sure needs to find something to live for other than trying to find his best friend. I would understand he could be doing this for sakura, the girl he loves, so she could find sasuke... but naruto seems to be doing this for himself. Sasuke already left for his own will, already told him to mind his own business and he's not in danger at all, since he killed Oro. Sasuke is just trying to fulfill his destiny, by killing his brother. Naruto should just respect what his Former-Best friend has accomplished and start his way to his own dream.

Exactly, I'm not saying he has to forget about the guy. I'm sure he'll always look into it when a chance presents itself...but it does need to take a backseat to SOME other goal for a good while. If Naruto has just finished a mission and is on his way home when he decides to check into some lead he heard about Sasuke...fine. But him being singularly focused on finding sasuke...has to stop.

About Tobi, I never felt like he was weak or a moron at all. I think he's purpose to act like that is just so he gets underestimated more easily. Usually ninja that dont keep their cool and cold blood against an opponent (just like Naruto usually does, at least b4 time skip) get underestimated. Most likely Tobi uses that in his advantage, but I dont believe it will be useful to him now, as he's up against Sasuke. He's arrogant, but he knows what an akatsuki member means. This will be interesting and I hope we'll get to confirm or discard the Tobi = Obito theory soon. I personally dont think so, but i guess it's possible...

I personally doubt the theory as well as it would lessen a very important, dramatic, and fairly unique scene in Naruto....that being Obito's death. It's not often that the caring hero dies and ends up succeeding through his legacy rather than beating all odds directly. While it's not unheard of it was a fairly unique scene for Naruto's genre and I personally think Tobi being Obito (while not utterly ruining it) would sort of serve as a belated cop-out of what was once a brilliant scene. Still I'll be the first to say it's possible.

After all this time, we've seen Sasuke do every kind of jutsu, other than... summoning. Now we've seen it, and what a summon it is. Such a huge snake, summoned so quickly. Not only sasuke realized of the presence of the enemy from above, but he realized what kind of attack it was, and defended himself with impressive speed, efficiency and class, as always. This may sound like I'm a fan, but that was definitively cool, and until naruto shows something else, there's no possible comparison between him and sasuke right now in my view.

Agreed. There are people that dislike Sasuke's character, and there are people that hate on sasuke's character. One's more than acceptable and one's just comical.

I won't speculate on what Naruto is or isn't capable of post time skip, whether he knows jutsu he hasn't shown, or if everything from now on is new to him....but I will say this: Based on what we've actually seen, Naruto just doesn't compare to Sasuke. Not in general, and certainly not in an 1 v. 1 matchup. Anyone is free to quote me all they like, I'll stick to that.

I agree this kabuto's revelation completely ended the possibility of Oro being alive inside Sasuke. The purpose of Oro's death was Kabuto's rebirth, as you said. We're yet to know how did Kabuto did something like that... he sure is a genius medical nin, but that was impressive. Another thing that looks impressive to me is how Kabuto joined evil organizations, joined bloody villains and did all for them, without having a superior motive to do it. He was even willing to sacrifice his body and soul for Orochimaru... I always wondered what moves this guy, what does he live for, then? And assuming he was being honest to naruto, he apparently has no reason to live for... but to be part of something important... having an identity. Those things he could have done while he lived in a village , instead of spying them. Kabuto is evil, and he is up to something. I think he will be the next villain, and that left eye he got only supports me. We may have a glimpse of Kabuto's past in the near future. We know only what consisted on his record, and what he told naruto. As we cant confirm his sincerity for now, it'd be nice to view that for ourselves.

I'll admit it was comforting in a sense to know Sasuke was safe (relatively) from Oro's maliciousness.....wondering whether or not Oro could pop up and over-ride my second favorite character was tense. But at the same time I'll acknowledge that Kishi sacrificed a very good bit of suspense that he could have kept around awhile longer. Still I'm interested enough in Kabuto to think it was a worthy sacrifice.

The thing I'm actually most curious about is how Kabuto's going to retreat. Book or no, Yammato probably wont let him escape this close to konoah....not when he has a nin-dog and Naruto for backup....there's just no reason...even if he is on a mission. Besides orders are orders. Were it Sasuke I'd predict that he would slowly merge into the ground, or a tree like Oro. But has Kabuto gotten that far on his own?

Keep the reviews coming ANBU4U :P

I will thanks!

lordHokage
June 03, 2007, 07:20 PM
Good review, please continue. What are you studying at the University of Maryland? :eyeroll

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 07:51 PM
Good review, please continue. What are you studying at the University of Maryland? :eyeroll

Biology, and Psychology. I'm a rising sophomore.

ShinobiWrath
June 03, 2007, 07:58 PM
I absolutely agree with the Clash between Sakura and Karin. Although she is as anxious to trap Akatsuki as Naruto and everyone else her heart is definately set on finding Sasuke. it's inevitable. Sakura too has a one track mind though hers isn't as bad as Naruto's. To think what he might have done had Bull caught on to Sasuke's scent.

ornis
June 03, 2007, 08:16 PM
^ No, I don't think Sakura is weak. I just think that Kishi didn't do a good job of setting up a Karin-Sakura match...

...if Kishi expects us to believe that Sakura can win one-on-one now, he's got another thing coming.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sakura just appears weaker than Karin---I agree.

By the way, the "vibrant" girl has shown Sakura to be psychologically inferior in one passing act... If Karin erased Sasuke's signature (which was also physical---just saying smell involves molecular details) the auburn-haired chick is incredibly dynamic. I don't think Sakura could reach Karin's mental-level genjutsu-wise. "Kai!" just won't work this time---but Sakura's strong-arm may be great enough to irritate Karin... if only Sakura could use Tsunade's disturbing Ranshinshou.

//EDIT: Though she'd first have to touch Karin, and as I maintain in the full post bearing this excerpt, Karin's evasive and redirecting prowess must be stupendous//

[hr]

But I could see her losing during a match in this arc, then training up and fighting Karin again after Hebi and Akatsuki's plans move further forward. That'd be a lot more believable than Sakura winning if they fight each other in the near future.

That would be reasonable. Indeed, it would give Sakura a good push and reinforce Hebi's significance. And I confess, I chose to stay neutral over whether or not Sakura would lose to Karin.

I press and have pressed that Sakura needs a challenge more than a sure victory or setback. However, I thought about Karin trouncing Sakura to inspire Sakura's progression... and I'd rest well with that event.

lordHokage
June 03, 2007, 08:17 PM
Biology, and Psychology. I'm a rising sophomore.

I’m very pleased. As you planning to pursue a medical degree? :)

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 08:26 PM
I’m very pleased. As you planning to pursue a medical degree? :)

Perhaps. Ill decide this summer. My best friend just went through MCATS and I'm not looking forward to doing the same.

PM me if you want to continue this.

Peace.
[hr]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Sakura just appears weaker than Karin---I agree.

That would be reasonable. Indeed, it would give Sakura a good push and reinforce Hebi's significance.

Hebi is very intriguing, I've grown more attached to it's members in a month than I am to anyone but Naruto, Kakashi, Yammato and Hinata. I think their ability is on par with the lower echelon of Akatsuki as we speak....which is to say I think Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Kisame versus Hebi is incalculable. I certainly think they're more skilled that and 4-man cell out of konoah.....unless it was Neji, Naruto, Yammato, and Kakashi.

CopyNinjaKakashi
June 03, 2007, 08:28 PM
Huzzah! That makes two biol. people doing reviews, as I am a biology grad student myself.

I think you nail it with the Tobi/Obito dilemma. His death gave us the Kakashi we know and love today. He is easily my favorite character. Without Obito, we wouldn't have the great line about shinobis not protecting their friends are worse than trash. So it would be nice if Obito was dead and Tobi was Tobi. Tobi should have the chance to shine in his own name, and not be compared to Obito.

ornis
June 03, 2007, 09:26 PM
Hebi is very intriguing, I've grown more attached to it's member in a month than I am to anyone but team 7 and Hinata. I think their ability is on par with the lower echelon of Akatsuki as we speak....which is to say I think Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Kisame versus Hebi is incalculable. I certainly think they're more skilled that and 4-man cell out of konoah.....unless it was Neji, Naruto, Yammato, and Kakashi.

Yes, they are that alluring! Overall, I agree.

With the given Aka members (Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Kisame) would you expect a draw between them and Hebi... perhaps I beg the question? What of an estimate, though? //took a while to post because at times... I ramble//

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yes, they are that alluring! Overall, I agree.

With the given Aka members (Sasori, Hidan, Kakuzu, and Kisame) would you expect a draw between them and Hebi... perhaps I beg the question? What of an estimate, though? //took a while to post because at times... I ramble//

The Shinobi on either side of that fight are just too talented in my opinion to decide a victor. I find an even draw in the sense that each group ends up canceling the other out evenly statistically unlikely.... But no doubt relatively even casualties would be found on both sides...and that those casualties would vary if the fight were repeated.

So yea...a draw.

I like the review even though you need to easy off the hype of sasuke and the bashing of naruto.

I think Naruto ask about sasuke because he wanted to hear it from someone credited than jiriaya, who might get is information from a 3rd party or 4th party.. Naruto know orochimaru was a sannin. So sasuke fighting Orochimaru by is self could lead to him badly injure or death Or Ochimaru achieves what he went after. And a friend always concern about another friend in that kind of circumstances. and before you quote me with stupidty - put your self in naruto position. wouldn't you ask kabuto about sasuke at the first chance you get?! you forget what naruto,yamoto & hinita is out there doing? they looking for sasuke..

Naruto is like the peace guy... It’s not up to you to take up vigilante work with out given proper authority. So sasuke killing Itachi will make him murderer and that’s how kishi is setting up the story.. Just like in our world.

If Itachi went after sasuke and sasuke defend is self and it leaded to Itachi death. It will be consider self defence. But with a small penalty..

And naruto & others know sasuke won’t be satisfied with killing itachi once and you only can do that once Even if he did that resurrected jutsu. He’s not killing itachi, he’s killing someone else... It just like the AL jutsu he used with Itachi.. naruto didn’t kill the real itachi.. sasuke is on a path of Self-destruct because of is brother/ Revenge. naruto need to remind sasuke of is father last wish before he died "not to become like your brother" killing Itachi is becoming like who? i rest my case..

The best thing for sasuke to do is to fight itachi and let him live. Or fight him and bring him in to the leaf village as a prisoner of war.

In the end. Sasuke has to rescue naruto as well from the beast that live inside him.

ANBU4U
June 03, 2007, 11:57 PM
Naruto is like the peace guy... It’s not up to you to take up vigilante work with out given proper authority. So sasuke killing Itachi will make him murderer and that’s how kishi is setting up the story.. Just like in our world.

Nobody, and I mean nobody has a problem with Sasuke killing Itachi. He's an S-ranked Missing-nin that slaughtered the villages most prestigious clan. The only issue is Sasuke going off to do it on his own......which I say is his prerogative. He's abandoned the village just like any other missing-nin, if konoah has an issue with it they should send hunter-nin like they would for anyone else. Why he's got jounin and chunnin hunting for him is beyond me.

Vigilantism for me? Wrong yes.

For a ninja who's trying to eliminate a brothers who likely listed in his own villages bingo book as 'kill on sight' I doubt anyone would bat an eye. It just not the issue here.

And as for Naruto I didn't say it wasn't understandable.....I said it was lame. And I'm right. He could have at least said 'what are you doing here' first. But w/e.

juUnior
June 04, 2007, 12:51 PM
Good review.

One thing which stroke me to write something here was this:

Interesting.....this scene is definitely foreshadowing some sort of conflict between the two shinobi in the future.....but I'm not sure how I feel about it. It seems almost as if Karin was created to give Sakura someone to fight...which is well...lame. I'd like it if Kishi mixed it up and had Sakura fight.....Oh say Suigetsu, now wouldnt that be interesting?
Of kors I agree with that Sakura and Karin maybe will fight in the future, rather quite sure, but I have my own thingie on the sentence with Karin beieng only person to give Sakura someone to fight.. actually it can be that this that option, but for example, if Sahugani's idea with some secret powers of Karin are based on genjutsu, that in the future, if the fight involving Sakura and Karin, the pink haired maybe could have some development on the aspect, which is now forgotten by Kishi, and that is what was always (usually) mentioned by Kakashi, that Sakura is originaly genjutsu user. So, even if Karin would be done for only that purpose, to give Sakura some development on that aspect, I wouldn't mind. But of kors that's only my thought :p But if powers of Karin are not based on genjutsu, than everything what I wrote just now is NOT to read :x

Gahh
June 04, 2007, 03:37 PM
Sakura beeing matched up against Karin ?
Possible but far from certain, since this isnt Bleach but Naruto.
Karin powerfull ? Its clear you werent reading Naruto for some time now.
We do know very little about her, except for her having some jutsu that Sasuke is interested in. She even wasn't mentioned by akatsuki as a threat, whereas Suigetsu or Juugo are known by them. Karin wont be weak thats clear, but i doubt she will be a match to Sakura that faced and defeated already an Aka member. Of course sakura didnt do it on her own, but the fact she was not "dead meat" but an essential help to defeating Sasori, tells alot about her strenght as a kunoichi.
I can't really tell to what kishi up to in this scene, since neither of them knows the other one at all, so i don't expect a fight to start.
Of course this leaves open the question who will be sakuras next opponent.

Well i've read the other reviews as well, but i have a hard time believing that Kabuto got so impressed by Naruto like he claims just now. Kabuto is up to something, i just have no clue to what. You may remember the way he manipulated kimimaru, or messed around even with orochimaru: "it's impressive you defeated TWO kazekages" or "When you're waiting for what you want it seems like a long time" and even more "Your greatest servant (kimimaru) what hindrance could he face ?".
And actually Kabuto "aknowledged" Naruto already back in the forest of the dead, when Naruto was using his Kage Bunshins to defeat those three creepy genjutsu nins: "what an amount of chakra, when he learns to his chakra well, he'll be a monster". The talk he had with Naruto when the sannins met for battle, was more a teasing / mental warfare.
So what is Kabuto up to ? That he was interested in the immortality jutsu i can imagine, this was possibly the main reason why he was with orochimaru at all.
I don't believe this guy even single word .........
This information on Akatsuki, possibly even his new "eye" might be just a distraction.
We gonna see next week whether kabuto makes his departure, keeps talking or they possibly even start fighting.
I really wonder what kishi has planed here.

Finally Sasuke, i hardly believe that sasuke gets his ass whipped here, wether he deserves it or not. You might not have noticed, but when he becomes angry the outline at the bottom of his eyes are stronger than usuall, well that may be just the scan, but his Sharingan DEFINITIVELY is different, it has a VERY strong outline. Is this a Cursed Seal influenced sharingan ?
Well unless these two are actuall bunshins of Deidara and Tobi, it was not clever to come this close to sasuke. What was Itachi saying just a few chapters back ? Deidara screwed it back in the Gaara rescue ark ... well i don't expect he'll do better here. What i wait for in this fight are Tobis justus, a mistery since the end of that Gaara ark.

Well that are my thoughts, no guarantees of course.

And excuse my english since it's not my native language.

Anyway nice review ANBU4U, especially since you didn't read naruto all the time ;-)