PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach 278 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
June 08, 2007, 11:21 PM
278. Heal For The Crash

Like last week, this was another chapter in which the spoilers do NO justice to the final product.

First off, the best part of the fight was clearly the Ulquiorra-Grimmjow fight, which had the best exchange in the series. It was like the energy battles in DBZ, except far more creative and stylish in execution and presentation—so it was actually entertaining. One particular point of interest was how each of them fared after the last Cero trade-off; Grimmjow got his entire arm fried, while Ulquiorra didn’t take any real damage. And just like his second fight with Ichigo, the damage didn’t stop Grimmjow at all. He just went on like nothing happened. What is up with that, anyway?

The artwork was amazing here. I’m still ambivalent about the idea of a Fraccion seal working on Ulquiorra, but I absolutely LOVED how Kubo rendered the Kana Negacion. It was just a beautiful technique. Besides that, and the entire Grimmjow-Ulquiorra fight, I really liked how Kubo did the color spread and the last 2 pages. In both cases, the layout was done just as well as the way the pages themselves were drawn, which really made them go over easy on the eyes.

I don’t see what Kubo plans on doing with Ichigo-Grimmjow III. Since it’s obvious that Grimmjow will win if he goes all out, Kubo will have to bestow a level-up on Ichigo to give him a fighting chance—but is that really all that’ll come out of this? Isn’t that too obvious? And what good will that do if Ichigo’s still going to be weaker than everyone above Ulquiorra? I don’t like the idea of Ichigo getting a boost just for this fight, when he’ll obviously need another one before the war if Kubo doesn’t want Grimmjow to get steamrolled. I really hope Kubo does something else here, or at least something more.

Overall, this was another great chapter which has me anticipating next week’s, too. It’s a refreshing change to see such solid work from Kubo, after the doldrums of the Zaeruapollo fight. Let’s hope he carries this momentum for a while.

Rating – 4.5 out of 5 (Excellent)

yanniv
June 09, 2007, 04:22 AM
Good Review.

Spoilers are more like a basic understanding what is going to happen in the chapter. I learned a while back to not take spoilers seriously and just wait for the scan to come out.

I would rate this chapter right around the same as you did (4.5). The chapter was absolutely explosive all the way through. There wasn't one page that i was like "next..." Everything was incredible and Kubo has definitely set us up for what looks to be an amazing 279. Now it comes down to Ichigo vs. Grimmjow round 3. Do I think Ichigo has what it takes to defeat Grimmjow? Yes, absolutely. Ichigo looked determined at the end of 278 to fight Grimmjow. I don't know what changed Ichigo all of a sudden, but I like this kind of Ichigo we are currently seeing. I hope it continues through the rest of this Arc.

I just can't think of what were to happen if Ichigo were to beat GJ. Would Ulquiorra come back and fight a possibly injured Ichigo. Things like these make you wonder if maybe he is just going to fail again. But then again, maybe Kubo has a really interesting an idea he is going to put into motion for the next few chapters.

I hope Ichigo starts winning. It is needed right about now.

patrick_tambu
June 09, 2007, 04:58 AM
Good Review.

Spoilers are more like a basic understanding what is going to happen in the chapter. I learned a while back to not take spoilers seriously and just wait for the scan to come out.

I would rate this chapter right around the same as you did (4.5). The chapter was absolutely explosive all the way through. There wasn't one page that i was like "next..." Everything was incredible and Kubo has definitely set us up for what looks to be an amazing 279. Now it comes down to Ichigo vs. Grimmjow round 3. Do I think Ichigo has what it takes to defeat Grimmjow? Yes, absolutely. Ichigo looked determined at the end of 278 to fight Grimmjow. I don't know what changed Ichigo all of a sudden, but I like this kind of Ichigo we are currently seeing. I hope it continues through the rest of this Arc.

I just can't think of what were to happen if Ichigo were to beat GJ. Would Ulquiorra come back and fight a possibly injured Ichigo. Things like these make you wonder if maybe he is just going to fail again. But then again, maybe Kubo has a really interesting an idea he is going to put into motion for the next few chapters.

I hope Ichigo starts winning. It is needed right about now.

I would say Grimm's strenght has improved since he's been healed... And he seems to me well awared of it.
Anyway, i agree with your rewiew(4.5) and it's time for Ichigo to kick some serious ass himself!!!!!!!

ttxdragon
June 09, 2007, 05:08 AM
nice thoughts,
although i got to say i ain't really thinking that it's too far out that a seal that works against fraccion permanently works against espada temporary... it's pretty much standard when talking about seals in shounen ^^ they work, but not as good.

the thing that has me thinking is the purpose for ulquiorra being there.
is it so that he has an observer who doesn't worry about which fighter wins? Or is it so that ulquiorra can interfere later on? Maybe he doesn't even interfere with the fight but is supposed to snatch orihime and run as soon as the seal is broken?

How will the fight end?
I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be at least a draw, but i want him to win.
My reasoning is shallow, that much i say in advance, but just looking at ichigo tells you "he's back, he's better". It feels like a stronger Ichigo back from what we've seen of his days fighting on the streets. (I refer to the sado-flashback where we see ichigo calling the ambulance for the gang.)
It's like he finally noticed once again "If I can't fight to protect myself, I can't begin to fight to protect others. If I don't live, I can't let live. If I don't win for my safety, I can't bring safety for others."

and yes, kubo really pulled out the great art for this chapter. not often have we seen such great use of panels in the HM arc :)

Luckas
June 09, 2007, 06:22 AM
I reread the chap a couple of time, but I can't overcome this feeling is lacking a page between the last one and the next-to-last one. Does that mean they will fight injured?

The Fourth
June 09, 2007, 07:56 AM
I think that was just Kubo's way of saying:
"For the thousands in attendance... and the millions watching around the world... ladies and gentlemen... LLLLLET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

a nice review btw, this chapter wasnt a mess like the previous ones
the moment when Grimm got rid of Ulqiuorra (man I hate that name) was fantastic
not only because of the art, but because we are rid of that damn character for awhile
I hate his frowny face, we need to see a smile again, we need to see Gin again :)

gigantor21
June 09, 2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I agree that Ichigo looks much more ready for this fight, since he's not coming into it with some shallow cockiness like the last time. But while I think he'll fare better, I don't expect it to induce some massive stat boost that will put him on par with Grimmjow--not without some explanation, anyway. But in that regard, all Kubo needs to do is show how Ichigo has "left the chocolate behind", so to speak, and it'll make a lot more sense.

On the seal, I get the funny feeling that Ulquiorra will break out of it much sooner than Grimmjow said, and interrupt this fight--especially if Grimmjow does get a run for his money. Either that, or the Primera will step in and break it up, then yank Ulquiorra out of the Kana Negacion. In both cases, I'm basing it on the idea that Grimmjow won't die here, even if does lose. So someone will have to step in.

Quartz-pebble
June 12, 2007, 10:23 AM
I agree that Ulquiorra will probably break out sooner than expected. I hope so, because I really REALLY don't want to watch -another- Ichigo vs Grimmjaw fight for a -third- time.