PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach 281 Review by Gigantor21

gigantor21
July 02, 2007, 06:01 PM
281. The Vulgarian Noise

Hoo, boy! That chapter came out faster than Tsubasa!

Seriously, though, this is the first time in a while that we had everything we needed before the RAW came out. By then, we already had a full Jojohot scan, almost every page in the spoilers thread, and a complete translation. The agony of the wait was only compounded by Grimmjow’s release, which was the first damned spoiler we got (and a REAL one, thank you very much). I can’t remember the last time I wanted to see a chapter so badly.

To be honest, I thought P.K.Grimmjow looked kind of “bleh”, at first. But as we got more spoilers and saw him in action, I found that it flowed really well in motion—even with the Cheetor feet. But just getting to see it at all, after several volumes and a flagrant false start against Hirako, was more than enough. Even if it does signal that Grimmjow’s days in HM, if not in existence altogether, are numbered.

Anyway, I really liked how Kubo handled the release, mainly because it didn’t lead into another one-sided ass kicking. I figured that Grimmjow’s release form would put him on par with Ulquiorra, so Ichigo would’ve been on tenuous ground no matter how long he had the mask. But thankfully, Ichigo took the best a strong opponent threw at him in stride, and it was damn refreshing. This is exactly what we needed to see after all those beatdowns, and seeing it happen against Grimmjow only gave it more pertinence.

At this point, I can honestly say this is my favorite post-SS fight. And it looks like it will only get better from here.

The only dampening factor is the time limit on Ichigo’s mask. Is he still tied to the 11 second rule? Has the time increased? Is there even a limit anymore? And what does the constantly changing mask design have to do with it?

I’m still clinging to the chance that Ichigo got a retroactive boost, because his confidence from before, and now, wouldn’t make any sense if he didn’t. Plus, I’m sure that it’s been much longer than 11 seconds by now, because of the dialogue with Inoue, Grimmjow’s release, and the length of the following exchange. So all the evidence seems to be pointing at more time, but we still need Kubo’s confirmation to close the case. And that’s what I’m hoping to see in…this week’s chapter.

Rating – 4.5 out of 5 (Excellent)

CopyNinjaKakashi
July 02, 2007, 06:30 PM
Great review as always gigantor.

About the time limit- with him talking to Inoue and then getting slapped around and then firing the GT, it seems like that has been more I agree, there was some sort of awakening inside him while he was near death.

Grimmjow's release was definitely different, but it has definitely grown on me. Very primal and felid. The big cats are always my favorite at the zoo, so I have to love the charactersitcs of cats that are applicable to Grimmjow.

Quartz-pebble
July 02, 2007, 10:05 PM
Yeah, the fact that he just kinda dicked around with Inoue proves that it's increased. I for one, -love- GJ's look. Not what was expected, but love it nonetheless. This -will- be the best fight of the arc, or that we've seen in a long while.

As for the length it took for the raw, look at it this way: If 282 gets here at the -usual- time, that's basically two chapters in less than a week. GOOD chapters, too.

gigantor21
July 02, 2007, 10:13 PM
^ Yeah, we definitely lucked out there. I just hated how THIS chapter had to be late--I would've gladly waited for the ones with the Apollo fight.

I don't see why people hate it so much, to be honest. It allows for such a realistic sense of movement while he fights, which complements his feral way of attacking really well. Plus it's not like it's flat-out ugly, either, though I do think it's a bit to unassuming for Grimmjow. But the release has really grown on me, too.

Quartz-pebble
July 02, 2007, 10:18 PM
I don't see why people hate it so much, to be honest. It allows for such a realistic sense of movement while he fights, which complements his feral way of attacking really well. Plus it's not like it's flat-out ugly, either, though I do think it's a bit to unassuming for Grimmjow. But the release has really grown on me, too.

Lol, Sahugani gave a very intricate review on his new form.

My only real gripe is in guessing how many other Espada will have the melee-type release. I'm thinking maybe the Old man and Yami will have burly, power boosted forms, but I hope to god Kubo is more creative than that.

gigantor21
July 02, 2007, 10:52 PM
^ Yeah, me too. Just look at how creative he was with the first few Hollows in the series--surely, he can intergate stuff like that into Espada releases. That's what I REALLY want to see, since the releases so far have been relatively basic. Hopefully, there's more to Pantera than simply hacking and slashing away (as cool as that has been so far).

Quartz-pebble
July 02, 2007, 11:07 PM
^ Yeah, me too. Just look at how creative he was with the first few Hollows in the series--surely, he can intergate stuff like that into Espada releases. That's what I REALLY want to see, since the releases so far have been relatively basic. Hopefully, there's more to Pantera than simply hacking and slashing away (as cool as that has been so far).

Well, Pantera is the one I'm fine with, since it suits GJ so well. I just don't want melee forms to be a running trend, although I'd expect it from Yami.

yanniv
July 03, 2007, 01:34 AM
Awesome review there, Gigantor.

The release is fine. I never once said anything bad about it... maybe I said it resembled Sonic the Hedgehog, but that isn't even bad.

The biggest thing looking forward is the time limit to Ichigo in Vizard form. He had 11 seconds before this fight and now apparently it seems he got a boost in time from the events that took place in 281. How long is still a mystery and I'm sure no one is going to be counting. As long as he has a mask and he can keep fighting.

There is also a lot of talk about the mask being darker. I honestly don't think of it as much, but if I had to say it was something, I would say it is development. That is the only reasonable conclusion in my opinion.

Also, as far as releases are concerned for the other Espada, if you look up Apollo the Greek God, it says he specialized in a lot of things Szayel specializes in and he used a bow. So maybe his sword will turn into a bow of some sort? Or perhaps it will do most of those things minus the bow. But a bow would be awesome for an Espada since one already carries around a gigantic scythe.

sabyr
July 03, 2007, 01:44 PM
I was actually pretty bored of this chapter and the last few have really disappointed me. A bunch of mindless(and apparently endless) battles where all there is is good art, but barely any story. I liked how Grimmjow had a power=up, but that was about it.

I may just be spoiled by the current battle in Naruto between Deidara and Sasuke though. :P

Quartz-pebble
July 03, 2007, 05:13 PM
I was actually pretty bored of this chapter and the last few have really disappointed me. A bunch of mindless(and apparently endless) battles where all there is is good art, but barely any story. I liked how Grimmjow had a power=up, but that was about it.

I may just be spoiled by the current battle in Naruto between Deidara and Sasuke though. :P

Well, from a story standpoint, Bleach has been stagnating for a month or two now. After the engaging strategic semi-win against Apollo, my interest had faltered quite abit (as it had been for a while now). Having a wickedly drawn battle for the last couple weeks, followed by one of the most highly anticipated Arrancar releases, I can safely say that I'm happier coming back here each week.

gigantor21
July 03, 2007, 05:51 PM
^ That's the exact same way that I felt. I haven't had this much fun reading and reviewing chapters since Chad first revealed the Left Arm. And it's not just fanboy-ism this time; I actually enjoy the chapters overall.

On the opposite end, all the recent Sasuke deferences are really pissing me off. Deidara, who really only got hit once by Naruto, has been getting his ass handed to him for weeks. We don't need Sasuke schooling Naruto's opponents, when he's basically stomped ass left and right for all of Part 2. And slaughtering a character like Deidara, with tons of face time but paltry development, is bullshit--especially when facilitated by an author like Kishi. It's fucking ridiculous.

Quartz-pebble
July 03, 2007, 07:14 PM
On the opposite end, all the recent Sasuke deferences are really pissing me off. Deidara, who really only got hit once by Naruto, has been getting his ass handed to him for weeks. We don't need Sasuke schooling Naruto's opponents, when he's basically stomped ass left and right for all of Part 2. And slaughtering a character like Deidara, with tons of face time but paltry development, is bullshit--especially when facilitated by an author like Kishi. It's fucking ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on that crap. I've been completely enthralled in that fight too, but really, someone -is- going to die there, and I doubt it's gonna be Sasuke, since that would cause millions of 14 year old girls to kill themselves. Which sucks ass, because Deidara's probably my current favorite. When he got impaled last week, I was like "Oh fuck no!", then of course he pulled the standard shinobi-BS and got out of it.

Boy am I off topic. :P

gigantor21
July 03, 2007, 09:17 PM
^ Yeah, me too. But this is easily the safest place for Naruto discussion with dignity.

Anyway, I'm hoping Ichigo will bring out something new this week. If not, then we should shift the focus to somebody else after a little more fighting here. After seeing the spoilers, I kind of want to see what Renji and Ishida are doing--and I hope they took the smart route and ran, so we won't have to wade through another bog of an Apollo fight. But I'd be much more interested in seeing what Noritora's doing, or another update on the rest of the Espada.

Quartz-pebble
July 03, 2007, 10:08 PM
But I'd be much more interested in seeing what Noritora's doing, or another update on the rest of the Espada.

Yeah, but that's been the norm since......Rukia's fight? Christ this is dragging....

gigantor21
July 03, 2007, 11:35 PM
^ What do you mean!? It's only been, like, half a year!

At least we'll get an expedited chapter this week, due to the lateness of the last one. So it's like getting an actual double issue. Hopefully, the spoilers indicate some sort of forward plot movement on Kubo's part, though that may be asking too much at this point.

Quartz-pebble
July 04, 2007, 12:13 AM
Even though GJ released near the begining of the last chapter, I expect -at least- one more chapter of full-on melee fun. :P

gigantor21
July 04, 2007, 12:05 PM
^ Hmm...I don't know about that. Unless Ichigo uses Cero or Bala, which would be awesome, then I wouldn't want to see another chapter like this. That's when it'd get as repetitive as people are saying now, since they've been evenly matched for the entire fight. If the tides shifted in someone's favor, though, I wouldn't mind.

Quartz-pebble
July 04, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm...point taken. I'm not sure who's stronger at this point, though. Ichigo didn't really do anything last chapter. :P

gigantor21
July 04, 2007, 04:32 PM
^ In terms of what was accomplished, though, it was basically a dead heat. Grimmjow just made a much bigger spectacle of his part (and rightfully so).

On a more general note, I don't think there's room for any more fights in this arc, unless some rescuers show up. Thankfully, the main story options from here only lead into good things--like, for instance, Vaizards entering the fray, backstory on Isshin and Urahara, or war preparations. With the last one, I really want to know how Ichigo will train after this, since there's no real precedent, but Kubo could easily do all 3.

Quartz-pebble
July 04, 2007, 04:39 PM
On a more general note, I don't think there's room for any more fights in this arc, unless some rescuers show up. Thankfully, the main story options from here only lead into good things--like, for instance, Vaizards entering the fray, backstory on Isshin and Urahara, or war preparations. With the last one, I really want to know how Ichigo will train after this, since there's no real precedent, but Kubo could easily do all 3.

The very thought of all that makes the whole arc seem worth it. I think the next few chapters will bring it to a close.