PDA

View Full Version : Info GANTZ via Dark Horse.

shego
July 03, 2007, 02:33 PM
( They also scored Vulgar Ghost Daydream. )

So what do you people here think?

Yay? Dismay?

To be honest, I'm quite shocked. I thought for the longest time VIZ was going to do this, since it's Shueisha and everything.

*hijacks*

The Deadliest Ball since Phantasm! GANTZ Brings Its Hardboiled Universe of Ultra-stylish Violence, Pathos, and Sexiness to Dark Horse 8/8/07

Inarguably the most highly demanded manga in the last half-decade, the enormously popular seinen manga series, GANTZ, has taken the bright path to Dark Horse. Hiroya Oku, creator of GANTZ, has put together a cast of characters that are both sympathetic and strong to which anyone can relate. The wildly renowned anime, also entitled GANTZ from ADV, primarily follows the same story and has been translated in several different languages captivating audiences all over the world.

Gantz tells the story of a team of dead people who are forced to take part in a "game" that has them hunting aliens and other creatures who live among the populace of Japan. The story focuses on Kei Kurono, a teenage boy who died saving a homeless man from a train. He, along with a band of others who are recently deceased, is forced to complete a series of dangerous and complicated missions by a strange device called Gantz. On these missions characters can even die again, only to be quickly replaced by others like them. As the plot progresses, so does the intricacy of relationships between characters.

"Throughout the years, there has been one title that fans approach us about again and again, and that is GANTZ. Dark Horse President/Publisher/Founder Mike Richardson has been pursuing the book since it was released, and we're finally happy to bring GANTZ to English readers. Considered along the same lines as Ghost in the Shell and AKIRA, it is one of the greatest seinen manga ever created. GANTZ has found itself a very fitting home at the world's greatest English-language seinen publisher," explains Michael Gombos, Director of Asian Licensing at Dark Horse Comics.

Dark Horse is proud to deliver one of the most requested manga ever to be released. GANTZ has obtained a cult-like following that crosses mediums from print to DVD and back again. The devotion of the fans and excitement of the critics push this manga into a category all its own, surpassing any other in its genre.

GANTZ is tentatively scheduled for a summer 2008 release.

worawat
July 03, 2007, 02:40 PM
eh what are you talking about -.- They also Vulgar Ghost Daydram? what is that? and what with the anal sex Oni alien thing do you mean Inaba had sex with the fake Reika or the Osaka guys was enjoying them self on a female alien because that alien they did was not a guy it was a women -_-

shego
July 03, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well this is something of an american matter, publishing company Dark Horse has licensed the GANTZ manga, and Vulgar Ghost Daydream ( another seinen manga ). Dark Horse publishes Berserk, Hellsing, Trigun Max, among other things here in America.

GAT-X252
July 03, 2007, 10:57 PM
Really?

Well, those are good news..

GGpX
July 04, 2007, 12:59 AM
It's great news, really.

I'll be buying Gantz when it comes out.

xi0
July 04, 2007, 01:55 AM
Yeah I heard about this. It sounds good to me. I wouldn't want any other company to handle the series since Dark Horse tends to stay true to the original work.

I'm not sure Viz has an imprint that could have handled Gantz IMHO. Maybe Viz Signature, since they publish the seinen titles, but Gantz is pretty Adult in my opinion.

2ndKurono
July 04, 2007, 12:18 PM
i dont realy get it,what Gantz goes to some new company or something.

shego
July 04, 2007, 12:22 PM
No, the manga finally got licensed to be published in the US.

2ndKurono
July 04, 2007, 03:22 PM
^oh than thats just awesome,Gantz gets more shine on,finnaly.

ssjasper2003
July 04, 2007, 06:48 PM
I wonder what they are going to edit out, hopefully it wont be. I say this due to it being america, lol id laugh if they ask your age when you buy the book or such.

shego
July 04, 2007, 08:05 PM
I doubt that they'll edit anything out. That's the thing about Dark Horse, they work things that won't work if censored. The most they've done is censor Casca's nude and unconcious body on one of the covers of Berserk and some penis and pussy shots on Crying Freeman.

xi0
July 05, 2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah Dark Horse doesn't tamper with their stuff's content much. Thats why their products are in shrink wrap, and have Parental Advisory stickers on them.

2ndKurono
July 05, 2007, 07:04 AM
then it kinda will suck i think,if they will even take the gore scenes then they suck.

Toad Sage
July 05, 2007, 06:46 PM
Yah I agree that DH is a good company to pick. They've published a lot of raw, uncensored comics since the days of their Predator and Aliens series. As far as I know, they only edited one chapter out of Berserk because they thought it was boring, but not for "moral" reasons. If they take the series, it will be really good I'm certain :)

TheGenius
October 18, 2007, 08:27 PM
As per contract, we'll be presenting Gantz as English versions of the Japanese tankoubon editions, 13cm x 18cm, approximately 200 pages per volume.

We have yet to solidify the schedule and approve it with Shueisha, but we hope to publish the first volume in June. Possibly a month or so earlier, but not likely. I've already begun work on Gantz, and have the first volume translated ahead of time. I'm excited about the series myself.

--Tim Ervin
DH Manga

One of my mates on Mangatraders posted this. I think it might be of interest for a few here!

GGpX
October 19, 2007, 12:32 AM
That's cool.

eni
October 19, 2007, 02:06 AM
I've edited the Press News about this into the first post for better info ^_^

And yeah, great news. Dark Horse is surely the best company for this.

TheGenius
October 19, 2007, 03:18 AM
I've edited the Press News about this into the first post for better info ^_^

And yeah, great news. Dark Horse is surely the best company for this.

And were is the news thread? I checked but nothing specific came out! Thanks!

eni
October 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
News thread? :s

Dark Horse has a section for Press Releases, that's where I got it from:
http://www.darkhorse.com/news/pressrelease.php?id=1468

TheGenius
October 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
News thread? :s

Dark Horse has a section for Press Releases, that's where I got it from:
http://www.darkhorse.com/news/pressrelease.php?id=1468

Hahaha, sorry, thought there was a manga news thread here, misunderstanding!

JC123
July 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
Just an honorable mention...

Dark Horse has licensed Gantz.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/14-734/Gantz-Volume-1

Moved here ^^

baboysai
July 14, 2008, 01:50 AM
Will that make it harder to look for raws or something? Or are we too far ahead into the chapters to worry about that?

kaliayev
July 14, 2008, 09:55 AM
way too far ahead. since they've only released volume one in the last month and volume two is set for september, it will probably take them a several years to catch up, unless they decide to speed up the publication. sites may start removing volumes as they're released, but that shouldn't be a problem.

your new avatar makes me want to sit in a corner and cry.

GGpX
July 22, 2008, 03:40 PM
Manga licensing has never really stopped manga distribution.

eni
July 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
Not in the shounen/seinen corner, but it's quite normal for shoujo groups to stop the scanlations when the licensing was announced.

But yeah, the Gantz scanlation is way to far ahead to be stopped by an official release.

GGpX
July 22, 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm talking distribution.

Licensing has stopped many scanlators from actually doing the series, but it's never stopped places like #lurk (That hosts virtually everything that's ever been scanlated) or one of the many hosting sites from distributing those mangas.

102jayday
July 23, 2008, 03:26 AM
ok so vol 1 is out now, any one know when the 2nd will be out and some guess's
ok vol 2 comes out on the 24 of sept then vol 3 comes out on dec 24th and thats all listed so far.

Mr.Aaron
July 24, 2008, 08:20 PM
Has anyone read it yet?

I wonder what they are going to do about Kishimoto. xD

GGpX
July 25, 2008, 12:11 AM
They'll keep it as it was in original manga.

This is Dark Horse we're talking about, not TokyoPop.

Dark Horse hasn'T edited a thing in Berserk, what makes you think they'll do anything to Gantz?

Mr.Aaron
July 25, 2008, 03:07 AM
I don't normally read any titles within dark horse... So yeah. No experience there.

Skittles
July 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/

maybe i'll pick up the first volume

Mr.Aaron
July 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/

maybe i'll pick up the first volume

Oh my god... This is apocolyptic...

No, Jk.

Thanks Onemanga for providing gantz as long as you could. n_n;

102jayday
August 02, 2008, 01:05 AM
awww no way no more gantz on onemanga.com
hey where could i find the english volumes of every new one, like they had on onemanga.com

Succubus
August 02, 2008, 08:09 AM
^ http://www.starkana.com/manga/Gantz

baboysai
August 02, 2008, 12:14 PM
I think Dark Horse will do just fine with Gantz. So I'm not worried about it. ^^

warbandit66
August 02, 2008, 03:37 PM
Does anybody know when or if the Dark Horse publication of Gantz will be available in the U.K.?

kaliayev
August 03, 2008, 01:36 AM
um, onemanga still works. all they did was remove the links from the main gantz page. you can still access it from specific pages and then use their dropdown menu to navigate.

@warbandit
if you really want to check out their translation, i'm sure someone in the states will make a torrent.

p.s. don't tell anyone from dark horse

TheGenius
August 03, 2008, 09:28 PM
um, onemanga still works. all they did was remove the links from the main gantz page. you can still access it from specific pages and then use their dropdown menu to navigate.

@warbandit
if you really want to check out their translation, i'm sure someone in the states will make a torrent.

p.s. don't tell anyone from dark horse

I think he means that he wants to buy the books :amuse

Seta Soujirou
August 08, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, i just realise that onemanga has suspended their gantz series at the request of Dark Horse...sigh...i haven't read the current chapter...

merged threads

GGpX
August 08, 2008, 11:48 PM
Hey guys, i just realise that onemanga has suspended their gantz series at the request of Dark Horse...sigh...i haven't read the current chapter...

merged threads

You know, it is possible for you to actually download the chapter.

Seta Soujirou
August 10, 2008, 01:53 AM
I prefer reading online...lucky there's still funky house...

Vancyer
August 10, 2008, 03:24 AM
i've heard (from the ps2 gantz the game boards at gamefaqs) that some text is changed. but not too drastically, except that kurono calls females chicks and babes alot

example: Kurono talking about girls

Manga: "Holy Shi*! Where do girls like this live? Not around our school that's for sure."

DH Release:"Damn! Sweeeet! Where do you find these chicks? Not at my school, I'll tell you that!"

baboysai
August 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
So they changed some expressions... makes him more of an asshole than he already was :XD

TheGenius
August 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
They are trying to be polite, like kids nonwadays don't swear, hmmm.....accurate.

kaliayev
August 10, 2008, 08:28 PM
more like they're trying to westernize him

TheGenius
August 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
That is a load of bullcrap....EVERYBODY that buys this knows they are buying manga dammit....

Respect the literacy people, damn you Darkhorse, stay in your stable!!

Kozar927
October 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
My order on amazon for gantz volume two just came in today.

Heres were darkhourse is different.

. Gantz calls katou "Mista Kato (mr. kato)" instead of kato cha lol
. Nishi is "Nishi" not mr. nishi. I find it odd that gantz loves kato not nishi.
. The person before Kishimoto who had a double of them self is reviled to be an old man, by nishi. Dont know why darkhourse decided to add that but they did.

Theirs many other small things but thats the big stuff.
Gantz is so fun to read in book form.

A MUST BUY

KevinSephiroth
October 15, 2008, 07:45 PM

. Nishi is "Nishi" not mr. nishi. I find it odd that gantz loves kato not nishi.
. The person before Kishimoto who had a double of them self is reviled to be an old man, by nishi. Dont know why darkhourse decided to add that but they did.

A MUST BUY
Well on darkhorse site (http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/Previews/14-734?page=5) you learn that Mista Kato is a pun regarding StarTrek Sulu . (In Japanese versions of Star Trek Hikaru Sulu is named Mister Kato )

Kozar927
October 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
ahhh so its the same pun as kato cha lol
they just localized it.
Thanks for the amwome info

Revilenigma
October 16, 2008, 01:01 PM
they also censored a sex scene in akira

Kozar927
October 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
They better not do that for gantz
Ill be pissed

njt
October 16, 2008, 09:35 PM

A MUST BUY
Yeah the double is called an old guy :3 (well to him he might be old, but could be 30~)