PDA

View Full Version : Review - Naruto 361 (by FatalFlaw)

FatalFlaw
July 08, 2007, 11:34 AM
Review – Naruto 361 (by FatalFlaw)

http://i14.tinypic.com/4z1y4ic.png

I want to introduce myself before I begin this review. My name is Leo, but on most forums I'm known as FatalFlaw. So, you can refer to me as either of the two. I have been following Naruto since the fillers for the anime began, which, in comparison to most of you veterans, isn't that much. I was first interested by Naruto when watching the first couple of episodes of the english anime. I quickly went online to see what happened, switched over to Dattebayo scanlations, and watched everything I possibly could. After the normal arcs ended and the filler began, I quickly became bored and began to traverse to the manga, and I’ve been reading since.

In terms of MangaHelpers, I’ve mainly participated in prediction threads and toshokan arguments. I’ve always wanted to do a Naruto review, but never found the time. It’s amazing what summer vacation brings.

Of course, the obligatory thanks to:
- Kylara, for a timely RAW scan. MangaHelpers is in your debt. =P
- Bludshock, for providing an excellent scanlation to which I have included clips from. I seriously hope it's alright that I use them, as I did not know if and who I had to ask.

Naruto 361: Sharingan vs. C4
1. Swallowed Alive – The TRUE Nature of Garuda
http://i14.tinypic.com/5yagt4l.png

If it’s one think to be said about this arc, it’s that Kishimoto has really unveiled the true battle potential of resident artist and extremely popular character, Deidara. Whatever the reason he did not use these abilities before (whether it be due to arrogance, the lack of his arm(s), or simply because Kishimoto didn’t think of them yet), he has fluffed his feathers to such an extent that he has been able to really measure up to both the standards set by Akatsuki, and arguably one of the strongest characters of the series. Whether you love or hate Sasuke, it must be noted that his two and a half years of heavy training under Orochimaru have not gone to waste whatsoever, and his progress is so extremely evident in this battle. As a fun little comparison, Sasuke is completely aware of the different types of chakra and their weaknesses towards each other after his training, whereas Naruto had to wait for Kakashi to inform him. Orochimaru, even if he employed the use of evil techniques and medicines in order to strengthen Sasuke (as stated by Tsunade, I think), seems to have done a much better job in teaching Sasuke compared to Jiraiya’s training with Naruto.

Before I get off track, let’s review what happened in these panels. We were left last week with Sasuke held in place by a clay bunshin, created by Deidara on top of his bird. The real Deidara then emerges from the bird, and employs the same technique used in the previous chapter. However, this time Sasuke is in the center of the technique – there is absolutely no escaping. Aside from stating the obvious, I also want to point out just how incredible and well thought out this was. Deidara, despite being portrayed as extremely arrogant, had not underestimated his enemy enough to think that his last attempt to use C4 had been successful. So, even when he was employing the use of his strongest jutsu, he was still a precautionary step ahead of his enemy. He also knows the abilities of this jutsu. Last week, there were predictions that the clay bunshin Sasuke impaled would simply explode (a la Itachi), with Deidara still on the bird aside of it. I’m glad to see that Deidara is more cautious to let himself get caught by his own art, and instead use C4’s further ability, which seems to allow the balloon-like copy of Deidara to swallow everything in it’s path.

2. Deidara’s Escape – Furthering C4
http://i7.tinypic.com/52pt9ns.png

I found this panel extremely informative. In the past chapter, we simply saw Deidara create a gigantic version of himself, and set it loose against Sasuke. With Deidara inside the very bird he trapped Sasuke on top of, at the end of last chapter I was not exactly sure what to think. Either the second Deidara was also clone, or he had something else planned for Sasuke besides blowing him up. As it turned out, it was the latter. C4 – Garuda seems to have a second ability. As it is formed, everything around it is absorbed into its innards. This can be compared to how a balloon is blown up. As you blow into it, and expands, it retains not only the air blown in, but whatever else was in that same air. The difference, of course, is that as Garuda expands, he simply forms around whatever is in the way.

It was also exciting to see Deidara not simply blow Sasuke up with the clone (that he is still attached to inside of the bubble). Since the Deidara holding Sasuke by the ankle been the real one, blowing himself up with the opponent doesn’t seem in his character. Deidara likes to live. He lives to see his art explode, and with death comes the removal of this pleasure. He has no real ambition in Akatsuki, he only exists in the organization to fight and pleasure himself at the thought of destruction. As such, I thought predictions of suicide bombing were extremely unlikely given Deidara’s character and his own goals. It’s good to see that he knew exactly what he was doing. Furthermore, it’s also nice to see that Deidara has complete control over his C4 technique. With it’s original usage, C4 was just a giant version of himself, however, this time he’s much smaller and balloon-like. Deidara has been seriously underestimated by both Sasuke and most members of this board – he was generally discredited as a one-trick pony.

3. Failure to Launch
http://i8.tinypic.com/4u9tun4.png

In the last panel, we saw Deidara kick himself off from the explosive balloon containing a struggling Sasuke, and find himself in midair. His ambitions, as shown in this panel, were to create another bird and float to safety. However, for some reason, Deidara’s jutsu completely malfunctioned. There are two things that really attributed to it. The first was, as he stated, a lack of chakra. This battle has gone on for a very long time, and he has completely exhausted his resources. However, the second lies with the shuriken that Sasuke used to pin Deidara to the bird. It seems as if those wounds have taken their toll on Deidara’s bomb-making. Kazuku is also no longer among the living, so whatever happens to his arms, he’s going to have to deal with it for the rest of your life, unless he learns to make godlike use of an electric sewing machine. However, what needs to be noticed is that this is all going on in the air, this failure of his jutsu and the next Chidori thrust by Sasuke.

I also wanted to put attention to the fact that only his left eye is open, again. This is the sharingan-countering eye, so whether it be necessary for his precautions, or just a nervous habit, it makes casting a genjutsu on him impossible. This is what confuses me about this chapter. In the next few pages, Sasuke manages to cast a genjutsu on Deidara, with only his left eye open, while he’s flying at him. Deidara has his left eye open for the whole time, and yet he falls for the fake Sasuke disintegrating. Unless that was a bunshin of some sort, I have no clue how he did that. It’s possible that Deidara’s fatigue has an effect on this genjutsu-proof eye, which would make sense. Perhaps, to use it’s ability to dispel genjutsu, a certain amount of chakra is necessary. So, it would make sense that, since Deidara is both falling in midair and almost out of chakra, that the eye doesn’t work. But then, if he knew that he couldn’t dispel any more genjutsu, why keep only the left eye open? Why didn’t he just open both eyes if he knew that his left eye would no longer dispel genjutsu. The only explanation is that he didn’t know. It wasn’t possible that it was cast while Deidara was using C4 on the bird, because, there too, only his left eye was open.

4. A Cellular Look – The Horror of C4
http://i15.tinypic.com/4kynjtw.png

I don’t know about you, but personally, this is really one of the scariest jutsu I’ve ever see in this series. Kimimaro’s kekkei genkai to mold his skeleton at will was the freakiest for a long time, but personally, this really beats it. He’s created bombs so small that in just a couple of seconds, they traverse the entirety of his blood stream. With Sharingan, he is able to see the color and form of chakra, so this inside look is through the eyes of Sasuke, obviously. The way that the person dies, by perpetual internal explosion, is just horrifying to think about, and it’s a very lucky thing that Sasuke escaped (twice). However, I’m somewhat confused as to how Sasuke actually looked into it using the Sharingan. I was under the impression that the Sharingan can’t look into the body, but simply see the color of chakra. So, if this were true, then wouldn’t he just see colored specs of chakra emanating through his arm, but not see the actual form of it? I think we’ve seen this before, when Obito looked at Rin and noticed that her chakra was jumbled up. Kishimoto explained the abilities of Sharingan, and the level of insight that this allows was not originally explained to us. Another unexplained incident is when Kakashi saw the muscles of Rock Lee breaking during his Lotus. But, that’s off topic. It seems that Kishimoto will prop up Sharingan to an almost godlike ability, so that when Naruto, or whomever, defeats Sasuke and finds the secret to beating Sharingan, it will transfer all of that prestige to him.

5. Disintegration
http://i8.tinypic.com/6bsrd4o.png

Here we see the second time Deidara gets caught in the same exact genjutsu. Sasuke disintegrates, seemingly, only to find out later that, once again, Sasuke faked his own death to get close to Deidara. This all occurred in midair, since Deidara had absolutely no way to stay afloat with the failure of his jutsu. The only question is, how exactly did Sasuke cast the genjutsu over Deidara? As we were already told, that eye is supposed to ward off genjutsu, and yet, as we can plainly see, the left eye is open, and the right eye is not. So, the question remains, how exactly did he do this? The one option that I can come up with, is that the jutsu really did go through, and though he was able to save his body, the extra parts of him provided by CS2 were lost as well as the snakes, so that's what he saw disintegrating. But, the whole performance seems exactly the same as the genjutsu performed in 360, so I'm going to assume that it is. If it looks and smells like a pig...

This panel also answers another question for good. Sasuke can use these wings to fly. He completely changed the direction in which he was going with his wings, and flew high-speed at Deidara with a Chidori in his hand. This has been argued about a lot since Sasuke first unveiled his wings at the Valley of the End. We can see him clearly change his direction with the wings, and fly at Deidara with Chidori.

6. Human After All
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/1254/imagesixyq2.png

I wanted to make a quick note on this panel, nothing large. Look at the condition that Sasuke’s in. Ever since part 2, we have not seen Sasuke get really injured whatsoever, which contributed to the invincible image that he had. He was able to take out most of his enemies without a scratch, and hasn’t really gotten hurt since Valley of the End. It’s quite refreshing to see Sasuke really roughing it again, as it strips him of his invincible image. However, this outcome really shows us exactly how outmatched by Itachi he will be. We were shown Itachi’s fight with Deidara for two reasons. The first was to explain Deidara’s prejudice against Sharingan users. The second is to give us an enemy both Itachi and Sasuke have fought to give some sort of comparison between the two. Sasuke did a great job against Deidara (how great, we will see in the next panel), but Itachi walked away from that fight without so much as a scratch. Another note, look at the electricity surrounding Sasuke. That will be explained in the next panel.

7. Deidara’s Natural Enemy
http://i10.tinypic.com/4y4uf46.png

Sasuke did an almost Shikamaru-like analysis of Deidara and came up with an accurate way to incapacitate his bombs. It took me a few reads to completely understand his plan, so I’ll save you the trouble with a quick review: the last Chidori he seemingly used against Deidara in the air was first used against himself to diffuse the bombs in his body. Since earth jutsu are weak to electricity, Chidori was able to deactivate the bombs in his body. It’s plausible that he activated the Chidori while still in the Deidara-bubble, destroyed the remaining nanobombs in the air around him, then used Chidori on himself, busted out of the bubble, and attempted to fly at Deidara. But, the process of actually finding out that it would work was much harder. Sasuke noticed that some bombs exploded when hit by his first chidori-needles, and some didn’t. He concluded correctly that Deidara chose when his explosives were initialized, and thus, could not be sure if his Chidori was actually the cause of the duds. However, he realized that the land mines would explode on contact, no matter what. So, he threw his Kusanagi katana, charged with Chidori, onto the mine, to see if it exploded or not. He was able to pinpoint where the mine was due to Sharingan’s ability to see the color of chakra.

I wanted to quickly point out how perfect of an opponent Sasuke was for Deidara. He had Sharingan to pin-point hidden bombs and to predict some of his movements, a slew of electric jutsu to deactivate his bombs including several long-range attacks, and wings to attack Deidara while he was in the air. Sasuke is also a proficient user of Genjutsu, which helped him get close to Deidara. Deidara had absolutely no clue what he was getting himself into – his goal was to prove himself against Orochimaru’s killer, and in many ways he did. However, he severely underestimated Sasuke going into this battle. Kishimoto was also able to show Sasuke’s full growth, and yet he still portrayed him as human due to the amount of injuries that he sustained from hitting himself with Chidori. Still, had Sasuke not known Chidori, this would have been his last battle. Props to Deidara for the amount of growth he has shown in this battle.

Verdict: 4/5
There are a couple loose ends in this chapter. How exactly did Sasuke cast a genjutsu on Deidara when the only eye he had open was the eye that was supposed to counter Sharingan? Where is Tobi, and for that matter, where are the Konoha ninja and Hebi during all of these explosions? Still, the action was good and the outcome of this battle, though predictable, was extremely satisfying. This chapter was hard to dig into since everything was relatively straight forward.

Predictions:
Well, Tobi has to do something, doesn’t he? There is no doubt in my mind that he will have to come in and intervene. I predict that he will do one of three things:

1. Come in and save Deidara before Sasuke can deal the finishing blow or extract any information involving Itachi

2. Begin to fight Sasuke while his chakra is low, resulting in either Sasuke’s whooping or Sasuke tagging out for another member of Hebi (perhaps Juugo, who’s curse seal activated a couple of chapters ago), or being saved by a member of the Konoha 8.

3. Comes in, kills Deidara before he can give information (which would be surprising for his character), and then begins to fight Sasuke. This would be the biggest surprise for his character, and I think it would be within Kishimoto’s style to do this.

The other option is a Deidara-style final explosion, but there is no way that he has enough chakra to create a clay clone of him, and I don't think he has the strength either. I don't think it is in the style of Deidara's character to commit suicide using the explosion that was used on Kakashi and the gang during the Save Gaara arc, but I think he might justify it as a "final explosion of true art" type of thing. If it's between committing suicide and taking the enemy with him, or just getting killed, i'm pretty sure he'll take the former. We'll see - Naruto is rather hard to predict.

http://i14.tinypic.com/6cq2fmg.png

EbbFlowe
July 08, 2007, 01:37 PM
Is it okay to reply to reviews? I hope so...

Just a few things to say:

1: As far as I can tell, Deidara's "Sharingan-proof eye" did not fail. If you notice, he saw Sasuke's snake wings disintegrating. I think that Sasuke couldn't "save" those wings per- se, and their remains were left in the air as he fell to the ground.

2: Maybe Sasuke is not as far behind Itachi as you may think. Remember, C4 Karura (Garuda) and his Sharingan-proof eye were both developed to take revenge -on- Itachi. Itachi is good, but even he would probably be caught up in C4, and I've yet to see Itachi use any Electric type attacks...It would almost seem that Deidara Pre-Akatsuki was limited to C1-C3 bombs, and no anti-genjutsu eye. He may still have other artistically explosive techniques (that we may never get to see), but he definitely did not have C4 as far as I'm concerned.

3: This was a pretty good review, but you got a little too hung up on how Deidara may've gotten caught in a genjutsu, when in a panel that you have featured here, Deidara is clearly saying "This isn't another illusion...then..." :p (Although that makes one wonder, how did Deidara train/test his anti-sharingan eye?)

Good job overall, I give your review a 4.5/5 XD

CupofDice
July 08, 2007, 04:10 PM
Nice Review.:)

2. Nice observation of Deidara not being suicidal.

4. I'm think the Sharigan can see the flow of chakra on the inside of the body, just not the chakra holes. I also love Deidara's jutsu, and the similarity between it and Naruto's cell attacking jutsu.

lordHokage
July 08, 2007, 05:25 PM
Good job on your first review, I like a lot, Leo. Keep it up. :thumbs

This match-up was somewhat a bad, good and ugly match for both Deidara and Sasuke. They are both elemental enemies and extremely arrogant. The last time they were exhausted when they individually fought Naruto. I do agree with you that there are loose ends and let’s hope we don’t have to kill time for the anime. As for your predictions, I like #3. :eyeroll

I was first interested by Naruto when watching the first couple of episodes of the english anime. I quickly went online to see what happened, switched over to Dattebayo scanlations, and watched everything I possibly could. After the normal arcs ended and the filler began, I quickly became bored and began to traverse to the manga, and I’ve been reading since.

You and I both have a lot in common. I too travel the same path. :)

FatalFlaw
July 08, 2007, 05:29 PM

1: As far as I can tell, Deidara's "Sharingan-proof eye" did not fail. If you notice, he saw Sasuke's snake wings disintegrating. I think that Sasuke couldn't "save" those wings per- se, and their remains were left in the air as he fell to the ground.

2: Maybe Sasuke is not as far behind Itachi as you may think. Remember, C4 Karura (Garuda) and his Sharingan-proof eye were both developed to take revenge -on- Itachi. Itachi is good, but even he would probably be caught up in C4, and I've yet to see Itachi use any Electric type attacks...It would almost seem that Deidara Pre-Akatsuki was limited to C1-C3 bombs, and no anti-genjutsu eye. He may still have other artistically explosive techniques (that we may never get to see), but he definitely did not have C4 as far as I'm concerned.

3: This was a pretty good review, but you got a little too hung up on how Deidara may've gotten caught in a genjutsu, when in a panel that you have featured here, Deidara is clearly saying "This isn't another illusion...then..." :p (Although that makes one wonder, how did Deidara train/test his anti-sharingan eye?)

1. I think you're correct on that, the reason that I thought it was a genjutsu was that a very similar technique was used on Deidara in the last chapter, and it's made to seem like the same technique in this one. But, you've got the right idea - either the snakes are disintegrating, his wings, or both.

2. Agreed, Deidara really grew while in Akatsuki in order to develop this technique, however, I sincerely doubt that Itachi would not have been able to simply use Kakashi's Raikiri on him self in the same fashion as Sasuke. He's seen it before, and he's seen the handsigns (via. Sasuke in the hotel in Part 1), so he definitely has an electric-style technique.

3. =) I'm glad you enjoyed the review, it being my first. I was somewhat hung up on that fact, though, when writing this. =P

Nice Review.:)

2. Nice observation of Deidara not being suicidal.

4. I'm think the Sharigan can see the flow of chakra on the inside of the body, just not the chakra holes. I also love Deidara's jutsu, and the similarity between it and Naruto's cell attacking jutsu.

I'm glad you liked it, and yeah, I love Deidara's new jutsu. Go kishi.

Good job on your first review, I like a lot, Leo. Keep it up. :thumbs

This match-up was somewhat a bad, good and ugly match for both Deidara and Sasuke. They are both elemental enemies and extremely arrogant. The last time they were exhausted when they individually fought Naruto. I do agree with you that there are loose ends and let’s hope we don’t have to kill time for the anime. As for your predictions, I like #3. :eyeroll

You and I both have a lot in common. I too travel the same path. :)

You bring up a good point - the last time both were visually exhausted were in separate fights with Naruto. It is very refreshing to see Sasuke in such a condition, though. But yeah, agreed. Here's hoping that the loose ends are tied up at the end of the battle.

lordHokage
July 08, 2007, 07:26 PM
You bring up a good point - the last time both were visually exhausted were in separate fights with Naruto. It is very refreshing to see Sasuke in such a condition, though. But yeah, agreed. Here's hoping that the loose ends are tied up at the end of the battle.

This beat up image of Sasuke is long overdue, lets hope he straighten up and fly right. I’m hoping that the loose ends are tied up too, maybe in the next chapter. :eyeroll

hitokugutsu
July 09, 2007, 06:40 AM
Nice job om your first review. Its good to see some reviews again.
Anyway Sasuke didnt do drugs as he was clearly against it (chapter 344). And even though he has those snake wings I dont belive he's actually flying, but rather gliding. Its true he changed direction after he bursted out of the balloon, but you can also change direction with one wing.
As for you predictions I dont think Tobi is actually going to interfere. I rather think he will be watching from afar (a la Zetsu)
Oww and I really liked how you analysed Deidara, made me think twice about his charachter (y)

dedal_x
July 09, 2007, 03:46 PM
Good review.

Deidara's Anti-SHaringan didn't fail. It's Sasuke who outsmarted that sharingan-proof thing.

Look: Sasuke flies towards Deidara, when Deidara suddely makes the "katsu" trigger. I bet the Sharingan could see that coming, so at the moment the bombs should've been triggered Sasuke crubles and falls down into the trees where Deidara can't see him. And when Deidara falls down and comes to, he looks around with his right eye, thus getting caught into a genjutsu.

SOCKSnTHONGS
July 10, 2007, 07:55 AM
great review although it did have a few problems with them

1. you said that this fight showed how much weaker sasuke was compared to itachi because deidara caused him so much trouble yet left itachi without a scratch. this is true but dont forget that deidara had not created the C4 Garuda when he fought itachi. in one of the previous chapters he did say that "this technique was created to kill itachi, all the same" (as he had a grudge against the sharingan) so technically we cannot draw any real conclusions about how sasuke would measure up to itachi.

2. also maybe sasuke was able to cast genjutsu against deidara because his left eye only manages to dispel normal genjutsu (say ones by kurenai) however the sharingan may work differently from other forms of genjutsu and because he was unaware of this that sasukes worked. (sorry for the bad explanation)

another explanation for this is probably because he was running out of chakra as you mentioned

aside from that great review and cant wait for the new chapter

ninjaa
July 10, 2007, 08:52 AM
2. also maybe sasuke was able to cast genjutsu against deidara because his left eye only manages to dispel normal genjutsu (say ones by kurenai) however the sharingan may work differently from other forms of genjutsu and because he was unaware of this that sasukes worked. (sorry for the bad explanation)

In the picture where Deidara is celebrating I think you can se his right eye open. I'm at work right now so I can't check but I'm pretty sure that it is :)

hitokugutsu
July 10, 2007, 10:31 AM
Umm why is everybody assuming that Sasuke used genjutsu on Deidara. Wasnt it clear that the thing we saw "vanish" were Sasuke's snakes? Deidara himself claimed that he couldn't be in another genjutsu since he used his eye. And from Sasuke's explanation how he beat Deidara he never said anything about genjutsu

fxrznaruto23
July 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
i hate sasuke because i was thinking he was really strong and now that hes fighting i see that hes not preatty strong

MadDog
July 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
Nice review FatalFlaw. I agree that Tobi needs to step-in at this point. If he's worth anything as an Akatsuki member, he should attempt to take down Sasuke now that he appears somewhat beat-up, and at the very least intervene to try and save Diedara (now that it seems that he's on the ropes). Either way, it's more likely that Tobi will end up facing someone other than Sasuke at this point.

bennibb
July 11, 2007, 06:30 PM

first a answer to this one...
If Deidara has improved... dont you think Itachi has aswell? Itachi knows Deidaras attack better than Sasuke... And I dont think Deidaras left eye can withstand Tsukyomi and Amaterasu (nvm misspells).

So... good review... I agree with you on almost every point. Dei vs Itachi was for a reason to indicate Sasuke vs Itachi. Its alsow good to see ppl that dont overhype Sasuke everytime he fight. As we have seen hes not imba just a wery good fighter. Also nice that you saw the analystic thread between Sasuke and Shikamaru maybe even Kakashi couldnt see Deis weakness any better or faster than this.
Only but here must be the Sharingan comment when Sasuke looked at his arm. We know that Only byakugan can see trough stuff so the last pickture was for the readers to look the bombs inside... All Sasuke sees is the strange flow of chacra... That and + he just saw the same jutsu even Naruto would guessed what was inside him at that point. Deidara even yells it to him before hes trapped inside the clone.
Other than that gj and keep it up ;)
<hr noshade size=
And one more thing. It may have been the snakes that fell apart in the air.... but when Dei is on the ground he has his right eye opend again and the left safe and sound behind his hair... Thats when Sasuke cast Genjutsu again.

Gahh
July 18, 2007, 04:45 PM
Lets not forget Dei trained her Eye to "SLOWLY" disperse the sharingan genjutsu.
This means there may be a natural 5 - 10 second delay before Dei realises that he was caught by the sharingan, and how.
Since casting of genjutsu even with the sharingan is costing a sizeable amount of chakra, the sharingans genjutsu looses quite alot of its usefullnes, although not entirely. Remember too Dei did not reveal this skill, until he thought that sasuke is low to very low on chakra.
Well just a theory as well.