PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The "Blank/Void Century": What is it Really?

neild
October 04, 2006, 06:23 AM
what do u guys think about the void century?
what it is that is so important that gov wants to keep a secret, and killing innocent people...it must be something bad, nasty, and has something to do with pirates.maybe they once destroy all the pirates in the so called void century..

so just to confirm.by collecting the poneglyrph, we can know the void century.is that right?

ready to hear your thoughts

Also referred to as the Void Century or the Blank Page of History, this is the period 800 years ago when a great civilization dominated the world and then at the end of the century they disappeared. At the end of the century the World Government came to power and censored everything that happened in the previous 100 years.

This period became known as the blank century because there is nothing left to acknowledge anything whatever happened during that time. The only surviving written accounts of the events of the Blank Century are on the Rio Poneglyph. This has prompted historians to search far and wide for the Rio Poneglyph. However, the World Government is desperate to keep the Blank Century a secret; they've obliterated entire islands to kill the archaeologists capable of deciphering the poneglyphs, and when eight-year-old Nico Robin escaped one such assault, the World Government responded by putting a 79-Million-Berry bounty on her head. These harsh actions have led many to assume that the true history of the Blank Century contains information which puts the World Government in severely bad light.

Finding the true history of the Blank Century is Robin's dream.

do u guys think we will find out what happened during the blank century

Threads merged, I collected in this post the first posts by the thread starters.

Dark Zeza
October 04, 2006, 10:47 AM
In the voild century (blank century), the world government was created. So world government wanted to hide the history that they killed some group of people, race or maybe innocent people. My thought, if it has been revealed, the World Government will look like villain group automatically.

By collecting the REAL poneglyph (Robin mentioned before cannot remember when) we will know the true story of that blank century. According to the writing on the golden bell in Skypea, Pirate King Gold Roger knew it and tried to reveal it to the world. My thought, the D people are the one who are trying to reveal that fact to the whole world.

These are my idea though.

neild
October 04, 2006, 10:55 AM
so what is mentioned in the first poneglyph found in alabasta?
and the second poneglyph in skypea?
if it is written by human, how can it be spread around the world?

Dark Zeza
October 04, 2006, 11:26 AM
Uh huh, :darn in Alabasta it seem to be about Pluton, and in Skypea it is about Poseidon.

In chapter 301, It seem that Robin thought the info was useless because it was about weapon at first. After reading what Roger wrote on the Bell, she seem to notice something what Real Poneglyph is. Then brought all the clue in one piece to Raftel.

Ah hem... I think Gold Roger put all the clue together rearranging them all into ONE-PIECE and put them in Raftel. Luffy jsut go there and read them. :smile-big "One piece" of the blank century, it is the treasure of the world.

Again these are my idea though.

alekosss_kenpachi
October 04, 2006, 12:03 PM
Uh huh, :darn in Alabasta it seem to be about Pluton, and in Skypea it is about Poseidon.

In chapter 301, It seem that Robin thought the info was useless because it was about weapon at first. After reading what Roger wrote on the Bell, she seem to notice something what Real Poneglyph is. Then brought all the clue in one piece to Raftel.

Ah hem... I think Gold Roger put all the clue together rearranging them all into ONE-PIECE and put them in Raftel. Luffy jsut go there and read them. :smile-big "One piece" of the blank century, it is the treasure of the world.

Again these are my idea though.
This is an awesome idea!!The only thing we can do though is wait and read!!

bakashijinsan
October 04, 2006, 12:29 PM
yep that's what i'm thinking actually. this theory is great. perhaps it really is the secret of One Piece. to piece all of the fragments of the lost history into "one piece".

perhaps roger discovered it and that maybe the reason why he got executed. well, him being a pirate is a reason enough to execute him but this may be the real deal on why he was dubbed the pirate king and on why even those with the slightest relation to him are sentenced to die (like Tom). the government may be fearing that the history discovered by roger may leak out so they are tracing every single one that roger may have an acquaintance with.

:D nice theory btw Dark Zeza

but you know, i do hope your theory is wrong. why? coz it'll take all of the excitement of the story. >_< sorry

Dark Zeza
October 04, 2006, 01:12 PM
Thank you for the comments. As alekosss_kenpachi said we have to wait and see.

but you know, i do hope your theory is wrong. why? coz it'll take all of the excitement of the story. >_< sorry

Hahahaha! Don't worry about that maybe I am wrong. By the way as you all know, Oda sensei is genius. :)

bax
October 06, 2006, 05:45 AM

Pluton is on Alabasta and Poseidon is actually on Jaya (before the Knock Up Stream blast it to the sky)

True. Eventhough I like the idea of One Piece is the DF tree, but this is the most possible thing. After all, knowledge is the best treasure. It will bring meaning not to just the SH, but the entire world.

mugen
October 06, 2006, 11:30 PM
I think the void century is connected to the devil fruits fore some unknown reason. Probably they came from there.

patz
October 12, 2006, 04:30 AM
I think the void century is about D will and Luffy's ancestors. In the end, all pirate will unite and fight against WG.

white silver
October 16, 2006, 11:24 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Correct me if I'm wrong, in the Anime, Luffy falls down with Zorro and Chopper in Alabasta (on their way to Crocodile) there was..... a ponyglyph right??????? Is there 2 in that country?

bax
October 16, 2006, 11:25 AM
I rewatched it, and it does look like poneglyph. But, I guess that's just a mistake, or another carvings that looks like a poneglyph. After all, they were fighting in some kind of historic place...

white silver
October 16, 2006, 11:27 AM
I rewatched it, and it does look like poneglyph. But, I guess that's just a mistake, or another carvings that looks like a poneglyph. After all, they were fighting in some kind of historic place...

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Luffy was unable to break it (A ponyglyph characteristic), maybe it would have something to do in the future of the Anime [b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1] (OH MY GOSH, WOULD THE STORY CHANGE)

bax
October 16, 2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe. Maybe it's just the same poneglyph Robin was reading. Just at different angle or just been smashed to the lower levels where Robin and Cobra found it.

Seriously, I don't know about that. Perhaps it has a greater meaning in future. But right now, I'm just viewing it as a mistake or something Oda wants to be happening in the anime.

infyquest
October 16, 2006, 06:08 PM
Nobody knows about that period, 'coz I ruled at that time :P
Just Kiddin'

white silver
October 16, 2006, 10:24 PM
Maybe. Maybe it's just the same poneglyph Robin was reading. Just at different angle or just been smashed to the lower levels where Robin and Cobra found it.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]But that's kinda like (a few days) walk from there eh. For some reason, Oda seems to approve, I mean it would REALLY affect the storyline if there was no reason behind it.

close-kun
October 17, 2006, 07:24 AM
Well, there IS a chance that is the rio poneglyph they(Luffy, Zoro and Chopper) discovered in Arabasta.
No one have discovered it yet, except for those "idiots"... :amuse

bax
October 17, 2006, 08:20 AM
Well, there IS a chance that is the rio poneglyph they(Luffy, Zoro and Chopper) discovered in Arabasta.
No one have discovered it yet, except for those "idiots"... :amuse

Isn't it that Robin commented the Rion Poneglyph is on Raftel? She commented this after she read the Poneglyph when the SH were on Skypiea.

Dark Zeza
October 18, 2006, 05:55 AM
Umm... What is this "rio" or "Rion" Poneglyh you're talking about? Is it the Poneglyphs that tell the true history?

bax
October 18, 2006, 06:09 AM
Umm... What is this "rio" or "Rion" Poneglyh you're talking about? Is it the Poneglyphs that tell the true history?

Rio Poneglyph (I spelled that wrong previously :p) is likely to contain the True History of the Void Century. Well, Robin said that she must follow all the Poneglyph to the end of GL (Raftel) after she read that Jaya Poneglyph on Skypiea. It is presumed that the Rio Poneglyph indeed contains the 100 years that lost in the Void Century and Roger has carried the Poneglyph to Raftel during his conquest.

Dark Zeza
October 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
Rio Poneglyph (I spelled that wrong previously :p) is likely to contain the True History of the Void Century. Well, Robin said that she must follow all the Poneglyph to the end of GL (Raftel) after she read that Jaya Poneglyph on Skypiea. It is presumed that the Rio Poneglyph indeed contains the 100 years that lost in the Void Century and Roger has carried the Poneglyph to Raftel during his conquest.

Oh, and I think that the one in Jaya and Alabasta is two of the Rio poneglyph (I called it real poneglyph though). I thought Roger just carried the word to Raftel and left the poneglyph behind.

mugen
November 26, 2006, 09:10 PM
Well I think that the enemy of that great civlization was the Gorōsei

sanjis the name
July 27, 2007, 05:51 PM
Also referred to as the Void Century or the Blank Page of History, this is the period 800 years ago when a great civilization dominated the world and then at the end of the century they disappeared. At the end of the century the World Government came to power and censored everything that happened in the previous 100 years.

This period became known as the blank century because there is nothing left to acknowledge anything whatever happened during that time. The only surviving written accounts of the events of the Blank Century are on the Rio Poneglyph. This has prompted historians to search far and wide for the Rio Poneglyph. However, the World Government is desperate to keep the Blank Century a secret; they've obliterated entire islands to kill the archaeologists capable of deciphering the poneglyphs, and when eight-year-old Nico Robin escaped one such assault, the World Government responded by putting a 79-Million-Berry bounty on her head. These harsh actions have led many to assume that the true history of the Blank Century contains information which puts the World Government in severely bad light.

Finding the true history of the Blank Century is Robin's dream.

do u guys think we will find out what happened during the blank century

Impel Down
July 28, 2007, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I should hope so. Probably in the very end when they're facing the WG as a whole, they'll learn how evil it truly is, and then they'll just kick the ass of whoever the main villain is.

kazamakj
August 02, 2007, 10:34 PM
I am thinking the gorosei whom have always killed off people whom knew about the poneglyph were once part of that ancient civilization. Maybe the descendent's whom betrayed and tried to rule the world or something. As usual just guessing that the D family are also part of that ancient civilization. The random protectors or the ones that cause the most trouble anyways.

sanjis the name
August 04, 2007, 05:03 PM
I never thought of that it makes You think how they got to power in there position and are they strong.

Killerej112
August 07, 2007, 01:56 AM
I personally think that all D's are decedents from the ancients. Probably thats why Gol D Roger could read the ancients language. Another thing i really hope Oda tells us why the hell the government dogs were able to capture Roger. ;;
[hr]
Impel Down Why the heck is Nami pregnant? X.X who's baby is that???????????

Helltroll
August 07, 2007, 03:16 AM
Impel Down Why the heck is Nami pregnant? X.X who's baby is that???????????

Well...impel has some other hobbies then typing in this forum, too ;)

Anyways..i think these years explain the rise of the world government, the role of the D family, the goal of revolutioners (i think they found out the truth) and of course gol d. rogers aims and why he got captured. but we have to wait a long time until we find out, because this will definitly lead the way into the final fight with the hardest villians (those 5 old geezers, the admirals, and so on). i think it will revealed if luffy meets dragon and his followers. then they will fight togetehr against the wg (luffy is alraedy the enemy number 1 for the wg. especially after enies lobby)

IgnorantSage
August 09, 2007, 01:05 AM
then they will fight togetehr against the wg (luffy is alraedy the enemy number 1 for the wg. especially after enies lobby)

Luffy is not the No. 1 enemy of the World Government, that position still belongs to Dragon followed probably by the Yonkou. And I don't think Luffy and Dragon are going to join forces since they have their own ideals. Luffy doesn't really care about the WG, he and the other Strawhats just want to fulfill their dreams and if the WG gets in their way then they'll just have to kick it's ass.

On the Blank Century, I am of the same opinion as the others that the D's have something to do with the ancient civilization. As to how, I do not know...

Impel Down
August 09, 2007, 12:04 PM
I don't think that they're really involved with it, but the family is related to the aftermath of the Blank Century.

And it's true: Luffy is not the WG's biggest problem. They focus on bigger things, like the Yonkou, the Revolutionaries, BB. It's like they're making dinner and the SHs are the bratty little kid who keeps bothering them until they give him a cookie to leave them alone.

Imitorar
August 09, 2007, 10:17 PM
Luffy is not the No. 1 enemy of the World Government, that position still belongs to Dragon followed probably by the Yonkou. And I don't think Luffy and Dragon are going to join forces since they have their own ideals. Luffy doesn't really care about the WG, he and the other Strawhats just want to fulfill their dreams and if the WG gets in their way then they'll just have to kick it's ass.

Said perfectly, especially the last two sentences. I think that we'll definitely find out about the Void Century. To do that is Robin's dream, and if Skypiea was any indication, that WILL affect some future arc of One Piece. Oda-sensei wouldn't have put all those hints about the World Government and the ancient civilization if he didn't intend to do something with it. I'm almost sure that the knowledge of what happened during the Void Century will affect the final few confrontations in One Piece. And I like the idea of the D's having something to do with the Void Century, I hadn't thought of that, but it's good... Hm, maybe Dragon knows some of what happened, and that's why he started the revolution. Maybe he can read Poneglyphs too, or he may just have heard some rumors and old stories. Old stories are a good source of information in the Grand Line, the story of Montblanc Norland being proof. There might be an old story somewhere that tells something of what happened in the Void Century, and Dragon read it or heard it somehow.

Eyefarted2
August 14, 2007, 10:26 PM
of course. if there isnt there would be no point in having robin join the crew, besides being the obkect of sanji and all of us boys affections.

Impel Down
August 15, 2007, 10:47 AM
Everyone has a role in the crew, so of course she has to be able to do something, not just break Marines' necks. But yeah, her primary use is reading Poneglyphs. But then again, Nami's primary use is navigation, and Sanji's primary use is cooking, so on, so forth.

matrice
August 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
They have to discover the secret of the black century: it's Robin's dream, and probably when they will found the One Piece they will find that too, since Gold D: Roger has wrote something like thet in the poneglift in Skypiea.

Impel Down
August 15, 2007, 08:20 PM
I imagine he read it, although I dunno if he'd really care. After all, Kokoro said he was stupid like Luffy, and Luffy doesn't even care about the Revolutionaries or the WG!

But yeah, of course they WILL discover it. All the dreams have to be fulfilled!

sanjis the name
August 23, 2007, 08:31 PM
im glad my tread is merged with another one bigger discussion

omniscientone
August 30, 2007, 01:20 AM
Btw, the poneglyph shown in Arabasta, where Luffy and Zoro fall down, that episode is a filler, so I doubt that poneglyph will come into the story again anywhere..

Impel Down
August 30, 2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah, and they didn't even translate it or anything, so I doubt it would have helped them anyway. But it IS filler, so we can't really say that it will do...anything.

Killerej112
September 07, 2007, 12:00 AM
I just finshed wacthing all the OP episodes, man i sware to god this is the only anime that can bring tears to my eyes with laughter and sadness.

Any way wut i wanted to say is that does anyone remember during the Alabasta arc when Luffy, Zoro, and Chopper were lost in the dessert? Well i remember them finding a underground ruin with a Poneglyphs stone and of course the idiots dont even know wut it is even after Robin joins there crew they never bring it up. I also remember during the Alabasta arc that robin askes the king if there are any other Poneglyphs stones besides the one he lead her to, and he said no. So now I'm wondering what if that stone that those 3 idiots discorved is the stone that tells about the lost history? @.@

Just wanted to know of you guys Op's about this? x.x

Imitorar
September 07, 2007, 12:44 AM
This was an anime filler episode with no relation to the manga whatsoever. Therefore, it counts for nothing. Ignore it, it was merely there to take up space.

Impel Down
September 09, 2007, 11:11 AM
*facepalm*

That scene has come up so many times in discussion...I don't even understand the reasoning behind putting it into the anime, other than as a foreshadow.

Dhomochevsky
September 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
I just voted and it seems that I am the only one who thinks that we won't find out what happened in the Void Century. I choose no because there was no option for learning part of the history. I don't think that the entire Void history will be explained but we will learn some things about it(enough to keep making us ask questions). I personally don't think Oda-sensei has thought out the entire Void Century because it seems like it could be it's own separate manga/series.

Impel Down
September 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
Well, obviously, he wouldn't have every single detail about it exactly, but he'd obviously say what happened during it that made the "Kingdom" collapse, let the WG take over, and probably show why they are so evil.

Dhomochevsky
September 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
I suppose if/when he does explain everything, it wouldn't be till later on when the Void history becomes crucial/vital to the crew's adventure. It seems that plotlines about the past (Montblanc Norland, Ohara to mention some) only happen when it is directly related to what is happening in the present (the destruction of Ohara was shown after Robin realized Spandam had the Buster Call, if I remember correctly).

I wonder how the Void Century would be explained though...

It could be from the point of view of what Robin discovers on the Poneglyphs but it could come from the WG's perspective.

Impel Down
September 13, 2007, 08:57 AM
Can't it just be when Robin reads the Rio Poneglyph? Maybe it's right before the WG "kills them", giving Robin time to read it, filling Luffy and Co. with rage, they break free and fight [insert villain]

planeswalker
January 14, 2009, 12:30 AM
im guessing. The current world government got a hold of all the D's to help them control the One Piece world during the end of the blank century. just look at the Tenryuubito, how do you think can they ever control the world? they're helpless fools trying to make slaves other major powers (devil fruit users, the D family/clan, etc). They must have had used something to control them (either sea stone mind control or something) or a device that could potentially destroy the world thus the previous world government surrendered to the current WG as it is now.

The D's were responsible for the blank century. Thus when Gol D Roger was being executed, he smiled knowing full well that in facing death he has atoned of his sins. Therefore he has no regrets in his life, same as luffy's.

Gecko Moria
January 16, 2009, 02:03 AM
Yes.
1. Since its one of the Straw Hats' goals
2. Why would Oda mention it if he wasnt going to reveal it
The Blank Period is probably some era of great prosperity until the WG came over and messed it up for power. Thats why they re so conserned about covering it up.

Makki
January 16, 2009, 03:46 AM
I think the blank century, it will be the true face behind the tenryuubito as they are considered to be the master-race.
I think if this is going to revealed, the WG will fall as well as the tenryuubito. And then probably the strawhats will not reveal, maybe as of the same reasons as Roger and Rayleigh didn't reveal the true history. Probably it is something soo shocking that even we cannot imagine...yet

im guessing. The current world government got a hold of all the D's to help them control the One Piece world during the end of the blank century. just look at the Tenryuubito, how do you think can they ever control the world? they're helpless fools trying to make slaves other major powers (devil fruit users, the D family/clan, etc). They must have had used something to control them (either sea stone mind control or something) or a device that could potentially destroy the world thus the previous world government surrendered to the current WG as it is now.

The D's were responsible for the blank century. Thus when Gol D Roger was being executed, he smiled knowing full well that in facing death he has atoned of his sins. Therefore he has no regrets in his life, same as luffy's.

Maybe all the D's were able to use Haki first. And WG and the tenryuubito wanted to have it, so they maybe tried to kill them all and/or maybe one D learned it to a tenryuubito or marine and that was the end to them, being wiped out for not being of any use for them anymore. Of course some must have survived.
haha all theories.. i hope you can at least agree with some of it.

Stilzkin
April 09, 2010, 06:52 PM
It's obvious Oda will reveal to us what happened during the Void Century, and if you think about it, it's also very predictable...just think about the Dalmatian Zoan user...

Yami_Yami_No_Mi_89
April 09, 2010, 06:56 PM
i totally agree... just think about why kid kills so many civilians...

chess4
April 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
we all know thw ancient kingdom was powerful. i think that they were so strong because they were great fighters and the best of them had kings haki. the 20 kings(future WG) saw them as a threat and created the devil fruits to fight them. the 20 kingdoms eventually won and thus the WG was born.

i bet all of the people will the will of d is from the ancient kingdom

neild
April 12, 2010, 04:08 AM
i think since this is robin's final goal, it will be revealed at the end of the story...its gonna be a long time until we find the answer

goldb
April 12, 2010, 10:11 AM
Firstly I wanna know who were the 2 people who voted "no".

IMO whatever piece of history the World Government wanted to hide it has to be of ridiculous importance that they'd destroy islands and go to extreme lengths to prevent people from getting close to it. I hope we get to see more Poneglyphs soon which will gradually reveal the missing parts of history, but that'd probably be in the NW.

neild
April 18, 2010, 01:06 PM
haha yeah the two no votes are ridiculuos.who wouldnt want to know the secrets?beside oda will reveal it
[hr]
i like the idea of void century being the key link to one piece.it made both pieces important, and more valued

suraj5898
April 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
we will find about history the World Government wanted to hide The "Blank/Void Century"
( u guys see pirates of Caribbean 3 in that film in pirates meeting it say that only king can declare war ) when luffy become king he will declare war against WG . gol d roger didn't declare because he was ill ( in war of WB vs WG do u guys think if WB isnt ill he would have lost i mean even after akainu's big attack WB nearly killed him )
maybe i m wrong

mattiaildivino
April 25, 2012, 01:36 PM
obviously we will know what really happened,I think the kingdom's name was "one piece" itself: it must be very important,since the gorosei didn't want the others to hear it.

Kaiten
April 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
I doubt the name alone will be Rogers treasure, Roger's treasure is clearly the complete history of the Blank Century. The name of the ancient kingdom will certainly be included in the history, no doubt about that. The key will not be the name but the World Government's role in destroying the country, the origin, true identity of the World Government's founders, and their true reason for rebelling against the ancient kingdom.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Firstly I wanna know who were the 2 people who voted "no".

IMO whatever piece of history the World Government wanted to hide it has to be of ridiculous importance that they'd destroy islands and go to extreme lengths to prevent people from getting close to it. I hope we get to see more Poneglyphs soon which will gradually reveal the missing parts of history, but that'd probably be in the NW.

I think whatever promoted the founders of the World Government to rebel against the ancient kingdom was truly villainous. The truth must be so vile that the World Government must fear that if it were ever widely known their very legitimacy would be threatened.

M3J
April 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
I think what the Blank Century really is is about a century of terror. Not sure if it's terror on fishmen, on humans, or whatever, but it must be so bad that WG fears anyone finding out and rebelling against WG. They probably committed some of the most atrocious acts that'd cause people to lose faith in them, might have something to do with amassing land under their power and constant wars.

mattiaildivino
April 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
@kaiten, I meant that its name may(and should) be connected to the one piece. I agree with what Neild said some posts ago: to strengthen the plot,they should be connected,imo.

Kaiten
April 28, 2012, 01:06 AM
Well yes, to that I do agree. If Roger's treasure is the complete history of the ancient kingdom, the blank century, and ancient weapons it would make perfect sense for the name of the kingdom to be a part of the history. It would also make sense that the name of the kingdom can not be learned before reaching Raftel.

EddyBob15
April 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have a crazy theory. I believe that the Void History will reveal that the ancestors of the World Nobles did something terrible to create the world government.

Kaiten
April 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
You don't say? Where, pray tell, did you come by such a radical theory? :headscratch

I daresay that this goes without saying. The better questions to ask are why the Twenty Kings led a revolt against the World Government and who exactly were they. We know the Tenryuubito are descendants of the Twenty Kings, but what happened to the survivors of the ancient kingdom? We know the Twenty Kings committed countless atrocities, we know all evidence of the ancient kingdom was methodically wiped out, we know it was done for reasons less than honorable. What remains is to learn about who they deposed and why.

M3J
April 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
Where was it said the Twenty Kings committed atrocities or why? I can't recall...

They probably lead a revolt because either the kingdom was evil, the Kings wanted power, or they didn't agree with the kingdom's ideals like equality between fishmen and humans or whatnot. Curious to see who they descended from, it could help us figure out things. And whether they were like Dragon and his army, but wicked or grew wicked over time (if they weren't, already).

rosco12
April 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Why erase history, if you've got nothing to be ashamed of? That's why it seems obvious that the 20 kings where as evil as their descendant the tenryubitto.

Kaiten
April 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
Where was it said the Twenty Kings committed atrocities or why? I can't recall...

Like Rosco said: in the absence of wrongdoing there would be no reason to hide history. Considering the lengths they will go to suppress the true history, it can be assumed that knowledge alone is enough for the World Government to lose legitimacy. The liberties given to the Tenryuubito coupled with the suppression of history implies the Twenty Kings were some kind of tyrants, violently overthrowing the ancient kingdom.

They probably lead a revolt because either the kingdom was evil, the Kings wanted power, or they didn't agree with the kingdom's ideals like equality between fishmen and humans or whatnot. Curious to see who they descended from, it could help us figure out things. And whether they were like Dragon and his army, but wicked or grew wicked over time (if they weren't, already).

My guess is that the ancient kingdom was a utopia of sorts, a place of equality and prosperity. Chances are the Twenty Kings were local rulers desiring absolute power. To do so they formed an alliance to overthrow the ancient kingdom and seize power for themselves.

Schabrak
April 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
One might guess, that the need to annihilate whole tribes and islands, like Robin's Oahana archeology clan, is an attempt to hide the revelation of the cause and reason of the assumption of power. This concludes that the reason would cast a slur at them because it was to crave power.

Zoronoa Roro
April 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
I think such a thing would be trivial as WG is already all that you all describeed! Slavery, racism, opression! we all saw what hapened to Ohara, isnt that exactly what you want to hide? how different is Tenryiubito from Tyrant?? Nothing short of the genocide couldnt shadow what WG is doin now but we saw that genocide is just their way.

I think that void century storry will go to entire different dirrection, maybe like good & evil fought, good won and sealed evil somwhere and now they protecting it and devil fruits are byproduct of that... or maybe evil won...

maybe he will go for secret society theme... idk! i just dont think that oda will be using such a generic theme for his grand finale

M3J
April 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
Like Rosco said: in the absence of wrongdoing there would be no reason to hide history. Considering the lengths they will go to suppress the true history, it can be assumed that knowledge alone is enough for the World Government to lose legitimacy. The liberties given to the Tenryuubito coupled with the suppression of history implies the Twenty Kings were some kind of tyrants, violently overthrowing the ancient kingdom.

My guess is that the ancient kingdom was a utopia of sorts, a place of equality and prosperity. Chances are the Twenty Kings were local rulers desiring absolute power. To do so they formed an alliance to overthrow the ancient kingdom and seize power for themselves.
Yeah, it's why I think the 20 Kings were bad. However, they may not have been as bad as the current Tenryuubito since I recall someone saying that as the generation passed, the descendants got worse and worse in behavior and personality. Doesn't necessarily mean The 20 Kings weren't evil (aren't they founders, rather?), but they may not have been as bad as the Tenryuubito.

Considering Rayleigh's facial expression when talking about the Void Century, it's probably safe to assume that it was a bad century, to say the least. I think the fishmen were the biggest victims, but it kind doesn't make sense that they wouldn't talk about the blank century unless they know nothing about it, and are going off on what happened way after.

I'm guessing this all ties in to the whole ultimate weapon of destructions thing, the blueprints Frankie had and Princess Shirahoshi. Which in turn makes me wonder about the sea kings....

Schabrak
April 30, 2012, 04:22 PM
It's hard to be worse than the current Tenryuubito.

Those weapons could easily have been counter-meassures to the overwhelming number of fleets from twenty united kingdoms.

EddyBob15
April 30, 2012, 05:51 PM
Well, in any case, there's definitely a secret that the WG doesn't want revealed. Then again, that guy who said that my theory is too generic does have a point. Maybe the history will reveal that it wasn't the Twenty Kings who created the world government by the guy carrying the first D. Hey, we're taking about the same guy who dropped the bomb that Roger had a son, right?

Zehahaha
April 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
But even, let's say, if those 20 Kings were evil and did atrocities and whatsoever, it still doesn't explain why the WG is so determined to eliminate anyone who wants to learn about the Void Century. The WG is already a big organization, too big to fail, without it the world will be in chaos, even if people knew about it, I doubt the legitimity of the WG will suffer from it. There's more to it.

Kaiten
April 30, 2012, 10:12 PM
Nothing is to big to fail. History is filled with popular uprisings, collapsing empires, revolutions, and civil wars. Never has the fear of chaos stopped the truly determined, even the most superficial reading of history will prove that. The World Government is willing to kill to suppress the true history. What reason could they have but to maintain their own rule? If the truth does not threaten their rule or the primacy of the Tenryuubito, why would they care? They clearly care little for the lives of the common people.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Yeah, it's why I think the 20 Kings were bad. However, they may not have been as bad as the current Tenryuubito since I recall someone saying that as the generation passed, the descendants got worse and worse in behavior and personality. Doesn't necessarily mean The 20 Kings weren't evil (aren't they founders, rather?), but they may not have been as bad as the Tenryuubito.

The Tenryuubito may have become more decadent as the years passed, less inclined to rule, more interested in creature comforts. The Twenty Kings may have actually taken an interest in more than luxury.

Considering Rayleigh's facial expression when talking about the Void Century, it's probably safe to assume that it was a bad century, to say the least. I think the fishmen were the biggest victims, but it kind doesn't make sense that they wouldn't talk about the blank century unless they know nothing about it, and are going off on what happened way after.

Neptune knows at least a little. He knows that Shirohoshi is one of the ancient weapons, and he knows what is recorded on Fishman Island's ponyglyph. Don't forget that knowledge is suppressed and keeping quiet is in his best interest. Neptune does not seem to know the complete history, only Roger seems to know that much, but he does know something. The Blank Century was 800 years before the current time line, the government has suppressed knowledge by force. Very few remaining people seem to know even a part of the history.

I'm guessing this all ties in to the whole ultimate weapon of destructions thing, the blueprints Frankie had and Princess Shirahoshi. Which in turn makes me wonder about the sea kings....

It's hard to be worse than the current Tenryuubito.

Those weapons could easily have been counter-meassures to the overwhelming number of fleets from twenty united kingdoms.

That is my guess as well, the three weapons were intended to challenge the Twenty Kings. They may have been intended to prevent the Kings from deposing the ancient kingdom, or they could have been created after, as a means to revolt, when the time is right. Joy Boy's message makes me think that the weapons were never actually used in battle.

M3J
May 01, 2012, 01:25 AM
Well, in any case, there's definitely a secret that the WG doesn't want revealed. Then again, that guy who said that my theory is too generic does have a point. Maybe the history will reveal that it wasn't the Twenty Kings who created the world government by the guy carrying the first D. Hey, we're taking about the same guy who dropped the bomb that Roger had a son, right?
Hmm, the first D. could have been the leader or prominent part of the Twenty Kings who overthrew the kingdom/s and set up a government, but he was the most honest or the most nice. Maybe he was the good one who kept others in line until he died or was murdered. If I recall, Blackbeard is the only exception to the Will of D, someone who killed his own nakama and all.

Though, the first D's heroics could be a made-up story to make the WG look good and all.

The Tenryuubito may have become more decadent as the years passed, less inclined to rule, more interested in creature comforts. The Twenty Kings may have actually taken an interest in more than luxury.
Could have been that they weren't viewed as supremely elite yet that they didn't act as douchebaggy as their descendants.

Neptune knows at least a little. He knows that Shirohoshi is one of the ancient weapons, and he knows what is recorded on Fishman Island's ponyglyph. Don't forget that knowledge is suppressed and keeping quiet is in his best interest. Neptune does not seem to know the complete history, only Roger seems to know that much, but he does know something. The Blank Century was 800 years before the current time line, the government has suppressed knowledge by force. Very few remaining people seem to know even a part of the history.
D'you think that what little he knows about the blank century has helped him hate humans (holy crap, alliteration! <3)? Though, I'm not confident with the thought that the abuse of fishmen would motivate teh WG to keep the century hidden and unknown considering they still allow fishmen to be sold for slavery.

That is my guess as well, the three weapons were intended to challenge the Twenty Kings. They may have been intended to prevent the Kings from deposing the ancient kingdom, or they could have been created after, as a means to revolt, when the time is right. Joy Boy's message makes me think that the weapons were never actually used in battle.

Could they have been the Twenty Kings' weapons, rather, that were refused to be made or used by them? It looks like something similar to Shirahoshi's power was used before. Now that I think about it, the blank century could also be the most embarrassing period for the WG, lots of mistakes, losin wars, stuff like that.

Schabrak
May 01, 2012, 01:41 AM
That are some weird theories you got there.

A D. leading the 20 Kingdoms instead of defending those that came prior, would make no sense at all with the current depiction of the Void Century and World Government. Also Blackbeard isn't the only exception, as Newgate has mention many Ds living somewhere not being heroic like Gol or Luffy.

I think Neptunes own experiences as a kid/adult are enough to make him despise human so much in the past, everything prior to Newgates intervention might have caused them to hate humans, like slavetrading and mostly human pirates.

Looking at Lvneel Kingdom's king[Noland] four centuries back, it hints to most of them being greedy to some degree.

Kaiten
May 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
Yeah, all of the characters introduced with the "will of the D." have in some way challenged the government: Roger, Ace, Dragon, and Luffy. The "D." probably represents descendants of the ancient kingdom with pure bloodlines. I am thinking "D." will be the antithesis of the Tenryuubito.

Zoronoa Roro
May 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
I had a similar idea that Tenryuubitos maybe arent descendants of 20 kings and they hiding it. All the power and all the money that they have coming from the fact that they are descendants of kings. If striped of that label they have peanuts..

M3J
May 01, 2012, 01:12 PM
That are some weird theories you got there.

A D. leading the 20 Kingdoms instead of defending those that came prior, would make no sense at all with the current depiction of the Void Century and World Government. Also Blackbeard isn't the only exception, as Newgate has mention many Ds living somewhere not being heroic like Gol or Luffy.

I think Neptunes own experiences as a kid/adult are enough to make him despise human so much in the past, everything prior to Newgates intervention might have caused them to hate humans, like slavetrading and mostly human pirates.

Looking at Lvneel Kingdom's king[Noland] four centuries back, it hints to most of them being greedy to some degree.
A D. would be part of the 20 kings, though, not be the sole ruler. Maybe there was something horrible that happened to him and his kingdom that convinced the WG to create blank century. Didn't two D., Luffy and Gol, come from East Blue? Maybe East Blue was a D.'s kingdom.

Kaiten
May 01, 2012, 01:45 PM
A D. would be part of the 20 kings, though, not be the sole ruler. Maybe there was something horrible that happened to him and his kingdom that convinced the WG to create blank century. Didn't two D., Luffy and Gol, come from East Blue? Maybe East Blue was a D.'s kingdom.

Dragon, Luffy, and Roger are both from East Blue. Ace was not born in East Blue but obviously he grew up there. Roger is native to Loguetown. In chapter 586 (http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_piece/v58/c586/19.html) it was confirmed Dragon was from Goa Kingdom, where Luffy grew up. There is definitely a connection between D., the Blank Century, and the Ancient Kingdom. All four of the currently identified D. have strong ties to East Blue. That has to be extremely important. Right now I could not do more than speculate on what the connection is.

The Tenryuubito are descended from the Twenty Kings. Having the likes of Roger and Dragon also descended from the founders of the World Government would be kind of an awkward plot twist. It would make more sense if "D." are the survivors who retain the memory of the ancient kingdom in their subconscious. That would explain the rebellious streak D. always exhibits.

M3J
May 02, 2012, 12:04 AM
It would also mean they're related or have some voodoo shit if they really do retain such memories.

It wouldn't be impossible though. There have been descendants who have sought to undo the evil their ancestors have done, no? The D. line can be part of the World Government or Twenty Kings and still be rebellious, like how Garp is in the military. The way he laughed and shrugged off Luffy invading Impel Down could show just how carefree the D. line was. So far, D. has shown to be serious when the situation has called for it, even Luffy.

Zoronoa Roro
May 02, 2012, 12:37 AM
actually its scientific fact that we inherit our parrents memories.. not so much memories as much as knowlege and subconscious process, for example it will be easier for baby to learn native language of their parrents than some other language... no voodoo required :D

M3J
May 02, 2012, 12:39 AM
Isn't that because the parents speak the language? The baby would pick up on it.

Besides, Dragon looks like he's the opposite of Garp. Where Garp is carefree and chill, Dragon looks serious and to-business.

mattiaildivino
May 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
I hope Dragon and the revolutionaries know a part of what happened during the void century,because that's would be a great reason to be against the WG. yet,the fact robin stayed there and hasn't told anything yet pissed me off.

Schabrak
May 02, 2012, 08:58 AM
There's no need to look for corruption and actions from the long past, when those crueltiess are still persistent or even worse than before.

I assume the Grandline kingdoms to be more moderate than those from the Blues, because it wasn't originally part of the 20 Kingdoms, which is I believe the reason for no Tenryuubito to have shown up till now aside from SA/MJ. Or Oda will suprise me with more tyrans like Wapol, once he introduces some more members in the next Reverie.

mattiaildivino
May 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
but I said that because dragon's signs reminds me of the pogne grieffs. also,the fact they looked for robin hints that they are connected to that story,otherwise I don't see any connection between them. I mean,Kuma knows the revolutionaries very well,and he sent zoro to mihawk,nami to a place where they were strengthening weather abilities,franky to vegapunk's lab ecc. so robin's aim must be connected to the revolutionaries.

Kaiten
May 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
It would also mean they're related or have some voodoo shit if they really do retain such memories.

It wouldn't be impossible though. There have been descendants who have sought to undo the evil their ancestors have done, no? The D. line can be part of the World Government or Twenty Kings and still be rebellious, like how Garp is in the military. The way he laughed and shrugged off Luffy invading Impel Down could show just how carefree the D. line was. So far, D. has shown to be serious when the situation has called for it, even Luffy.

It's not a bad theory but does not fit the plot IMO. Luffy and Roger represent freedom, individualism, and accepting others for who they are. The Tenryuubito represent conformity, suppression, and exclusion. We know that the Tenryuubito are direct descendants of the twenty kings, wouldn't it make sense if "D.", the nemesis of their World Government, were living descendents of the ancient kingdom they deposed?

I hope Dragon and the revolutionaries know a part of what happened during the void century,because that's would be a great reason to be against the WG. yet,the fact robin stayed there and hasn't told anything yet pissed me off.

It is not unreasonable to think they know something, though there is no reason to be certain of it. I doubt they know much, no one alive seems to have extensive knowledge, aside from Robin. That is why I think they were interested in her, she could probably tell them a great deal about the Void Century, and better explain what they do know. Maybe they knew something she did not, which would explain why Kuma sent her there. It is not as though the history is completely unknown: Crocodile knew that the Alabasta poneglyph records the location of Pluton. As guardian of Poseidon, Neptune knew of Joy Boy.

but I said that because dragon's signs reminds me of the pogne grieffs. also,the fact they looked for robin hints that they are connected to that story,otherwise I don't see any connection between them. I mean,Kuma knows the revolutionaries very well,and he sent zoro to mihawk,nami to a place where they were strengthening weather abilities,franky to vegapunk's lab ecc. so robin's aim must be connected to the revolutionaries.

As I said above, it would not be unreasonable for the Revolutionaries to know a piece of the true history. I doubt they know much, but they would not be the first characters to know something.

M3J
May 02, 2012, 11:03 PM
Wouldn't mind that, but we've seen a D. and heard that there were many other D.s who were bad. There could have been good D.s and bad D.s back then as well, some who were powerful. Good D.s so far have been laidback and carefree, with the exception of Dragon and to extent, Ace. Even Blackbeard was shown to be a fun guy, even if an asshole. Maybe one thing that D.s have in common is that they like to challenge everything, though even they might not have been able take on sheer number of the kings.

I wonder just how much Dragon knows about the Void Century. Something had to encourage him to create a revolution against the World Government and the way things were ran. Maybe Dragon knows quite a bit about the Void Century based on the way he's challenging the Marines and government (or the kingdom, if not both).

Schabrak
May 03, 2012, 08:05 AM
It was never mentioned that there are many bad D.s out there, only that Blackbeard isn't a true one in the sense of Roger's dream and there are a lot others out there living a normal life like everybody else, but he didn't talk about villain type D.s.

I would like to see the RA fight against the monarchies for the sake of the people instead of deeds done in the past. The past can boost and reinforce their morality and reasoning for the revolutions, but it shouldn't be the main reason IMO. Dragon grew up in Goa, saw the decay of society and took it upon himself to give the feeedom back to the people, it's not mysterious or special, but it's a variation of the drive for freedom that Luffy and Roger possess/ed.

mattiaildivino
May 03, 2012, 10:08 AM
@Kaiten, LOL,maybe Robin didn't want to share infos with the revolutionaries because of what Rayleigh had told her at sabaody :XD ,that is she will have to discover that by herself. what a loser :tem!

Kaiten
May 08, 2012, 02:13 PM
It was never mentioned that there are many bad D.s out there, only that Blackbeard isn't a true one in the sense of Roger's dream and there are a lot others out there living a normal life like everybody else, but he didn't talk about villain type D.s.

I would like to see the RA fight against the monarchies for the sake of the people instead of deeds done in the past. The past can boost and reinforce their morality and reasoning for the revolutions, but it shouldn't be the main reason IMO. Dragon grew up in Goa, saw the decay of society and took it upon himself to give the feeedom back to the people, it's not mysterious or special, but it's a variation of the drive for freedom that Luffy and Roger possess/ed.

I think that the atrocities of the past and oppression of the present are meant to be connected. The past represents the beginning of a long pattern of oppression that has continued, uninterrupted, into the present day. Fighting for the past is the same as fighting for the present. The Revolutionaries would understand that, the common people might not. Most citizens of the world would not be aware that there is an alternative, that things were better before the World Government. They may think the World Government is the only way, that the current oppression has no alternative. Revealing the ancient history would expose the lies that the World Government is built on, akin to exposing the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. Suddenly the present seems less tolerable when history tells you that freedom and civil rights were once possible. The true history is guaranteed to earn the Revolutionaries a great deal of sympathy, and the government considerable animosity, and both sides know it.

FaustXIII
March 10, 2013, 04:57 AM
The "Blank/Void Century": What is it Really?
-I think it's either a World Wide Government Cruel Dictatorship or It's a Century of Great Tragedy