PDA

View Full Version : Question How does Urahara use shinigami power while human?

GX255
September 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
I have never seen him get out of a gigai. So how is it that Urahara can use shinigami powers while human?
Is it b/c his gigai is special? I mean he is really smart so thats a possibility right?

Kazu-kun
September 13, 2007, 12:52 AM
I have never seen him get out of a gigai. So how is it that Urahara can use shinigami powers while human?
Is it b/c his gigai is special? I mean he is really smart so thats a possibility right?

Well first of all you should know that it's never been stated that he is in a Gigai. I mean the thing is what's restricting him passage back into Soul Society may not be on his body, but rather than his soul. Secondly Urahara isn't just smart, he's a genius. He was the first commander and chief of R&D in Soul Society, so it's not out of possibility that allows him to use his Zanpakuto in human form.

Something you should know, shinigami powers arent restricted when working within a Gigai. Kidous and Hadous are still usable, the only thing that they cant do is use Zanpakutous or their spiritual strength, where as they are limited to human strength

Impel Down
September 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
Can't he just look the same in his gigai as he does in his regular body? I mean, this is the same thing with the Vaizard, since they're wearing street clothes with their zanpaktou all the time.

OrangeRat
September 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
When the arrancar attacked the second time the shinigami all had their swords while still in their gigai.

Also, has any normal human ever seen Urahara?

smellyCheese
September 13, 2007, 06:59 PM
wow, this is a really good one, how is this possible?

Urahara is such a strange guy, and the vizards, we seriously need some more info on these people. they have no mention of anything like soul candy, gigai (-apart from ones he made..)
yet they are still able to function like shinigamis.. while attending to school-(shinji)?

Impel Down
September 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
Well, Shinji WAS wearing different clothes when he was at the school, so maybe his gigai just looks like how he actually looks like? Seems to be that way for Kisuke as well.

And as to whether or not humans have seen him, I dunno. No one goes to their shop, as Jinta says, so maybe not.

Richo
September 14, 2007, 03:23 PM
wow, this is a really good one, how is this possible?

Urahara is such a strange guy, and the vizards, we seriously need some more info on these people. they have no mention of anything like soul candy, gigai (-apart from ones he made..)
yet they are still able to function like shinigamis.. while attending to school-(shinji)?

i do recall shinji being the only person being able to go to school, i remember hiyori saying that. it is a fact that the vaizards were former shinigami so they probably have some form off soul candy/gigai from when they were shinigami.

Travy
September 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
I think he is using his gigai, otherwise his decoy gigas wouldn't really work that well in combat now would they o_O; The way I see it is that either
A. Shinigami can use a bit more of their powers in gigas then we were lead to believe
or
B. Urahara's gigai is something special, after all we only know a few of his inventions, who knows what sort of changes he could have made to his own personal gigai.

Impel Down
September 15, 2007, 09:57 AM
I don't see why he, without a gigai, can't just change his clothes. The black shinigami robes are just that: robes. You can take them off and put on other things.

segua
September 15, 2007, 01:32 PM
Also, has any normal human ever seen Urahara?

I think not really. Well he was at the park when the gillian came out and the people around them were remarking how "those" people must be putting on a skit or something. So maybe normal people could see Urahara.

macherie
September 16, 2007, 02:33 AM
Yeah this is quite an interesting topic, i think having been the Captain of Research and Development, in addition to being a genius, he has figured a way to be able to use his shinigami powers. Although having watched and read the manga chapter/episode of his small fight with Yami, he does say he was using a Gigai.. but hmm not too sure. I think he's just figured a way to use his powers without having to switch.

dandy65
September 16, 2007, 02:56 AM
He has definately devised a way to make use of shinigami power. Considering he's the Science department captain, he's probably got a bunch of weird inventions.

OrangeRat
September 16, 2007, 06:58 PM
I think not really. Well he was at the park when the gillian came out and the people around them were remarking how "those" people must be putting on a skit or something. So maybe normal people could see Urahara.

Actually, Keigo only saw Ururu, Jinta, and Tessai when he talked about it later to Ichigo. (Ch. 51, they're in his speech bubble.)

Though Tessai is over 200 years old (the last time he heard the name "Quincy), and has super strength, so the question of Urahara wearing a gigai is the same with him.l

Vegetoacs
September 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
I think he's always in soul form, based solely on his fight with yammy.

Note that he kept switching in and out of his portable gigai as a method of confusing yammy into believing his storm of bala blasts was hitting him. To do that, he would have had to be in soul form.

That he doesnt wear shinigami robes isnt really pertinent I think. We've seen the captains during the SS arc change clothes, and even mention of shinigami clothing and accessories shops within the databook. Unohana and aizen were both seen wearing different robes when they were "off-duty", and mention was made of Renji spending vast amounts of his paycheck to buy those funky visor like glasses that he wore early on in the series. While, we've never gone into shinigami economics, i think it's safe to say soul society works like any other society, just that the seretei is in the business of regulating life and death.

So to come back to the topic point, I think it's safe to say urahara is in soul form most of the time, but that doesnt mean he doesnt have a gigai or two around should he need to interact with humans.

What i find more strange than this is for someone who was exiled and is pretty much considered to be a criminal in soul society...soul society sure deals with him a lot. I noticed this in the series where quite often they used his shop as a base of operations, as well as query him about quite a few things, given his vast knowledge.

Musashi_Keiji
September 17, 2007, 12:12 AM
There's 2 ways i see Uruhara's and the Vizard's situation regarding gigai:

1. Plot hole due to bad story writing by the mangaka.... I don't think highly of him for many reasons i wont state here. But I think this is quite the possibility. Mangakas are not perfect in their writing. Akira Toriyama destroyed the moon twice in dragonball, 2nd time he admits he forgot he had done so already in the story. Many times i've noticed that authors will limit the or exaggerate certain powers that later in the series seem like a common almost unimpressive thing. Such as the flash step in Bleach or powering up in DBZ. Plot hole that is yet to be filled is what i think is more likely.

2. As many have said Urahara was the first R&D head and extremely smart. He was smart enough to create and then conceal that device in rukia. It's easily possible for him to have created special gigai or devices that allow him more power/priveldge outside of SS.
As for the vizard's they are much stronger than any shinigami and possibly stronger than most or all captains. In their advance state of power they could all have developed some way of being visible or making their own gigai etc.

Kaemon
September 17, 2007, 12:28 AM
Has Urahara ever really BEEN around normal people? I don't think so, the situation has never come up, he never interacts with normal humans anyway. So I don't see how it can be a plothole.

Musashi_Keiji
September 17, 2007, 01:03 AM
Has Urahara ever really BEEN around normal people? I don't think so, the situation has never come up, he never interacts with normal humans anyway. So I don't see how it can be a plothole.

i'm not to sure about that myself. I don't have a perfect memory. But somebody mentioned that Keigo was around the others.

For that matter here for sure is a plot hole:
What are Urahara's helper's? Souls from SS? Former shinigami? Human? modified souls possibly??

segua
September 17, 2007, 01:06 AM
LOL. I was being lazy because I didn't want to look for the exact chapter but thanks for the source. Well, Urahara was the creator of the gigai so I would assume he was able to do extensive research and experiments with Shinigami powers. So for himself, he must've created a special gigai but I think he must always be in his spirit form.

Wolfshadow
September 17, 2007, 01:08 AM
i'm not to sure about that myself. I don't have a perfect memory. But somebody mentioned that Keigo was around the others.

For that matter here for sure is a plot hole:
What are Urahara's helper's? Souls from SS? Former shinigami? Human? modified souls possibly??

Yeah, Keigo Miziru and Tatsuki spoke with him once, but they were all able to see spirits by that point so it doesn't really prove anything :p

Ripht
September 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
Maybe after he was banished from SS he was forced to stay in some kind of semi gigai, to try and seal his powers some what. We've only just seen ichigo's dad come out of his shell, maybe he was sealed as well but not for as long because his part in whatever happened wasn't as big as urahara's and i would guess urahara is trying to find a way to break the seal maybe.

Btw how did urahara get kicked out of SS.

Impel Down
September 17, 2007, 04:26 PM
All of the super-powerful shinigami told him to GTFO, showed their zanpaktou, and he realized that he'd better leave. That, and didn't they have that force field thing in SS? Actually, he probably ran away before they could seal his powers away.

Wolfshadow
September 17, 2007, 04:48 PM
All of the super-powerful shinigami told him to GTFO, showed their zanpaktou, and he realized that he'd better leave. That, and didn't they have that force field thing in SS? Actually, he probably ran away before they could seal his powers away.

So, your envisioning something like this?

Commander-General Yamamoto: Your experiments have gone too far! Leave at once!
Gin Ichimaru: I's really for your own good, you know...
Utana: Oh dear, why did it have to come to this?
Aizen: Urahara my friend, perhaps you should do as the Commander says, but first why don't you have a look at my Shikai?
Byakua: You have broken the rules of soul society. I will kill you myself! Chire!
Tossen: I cannot allow you to disturb the peace!
Konamura: How dare you betray the Commander!
Kenpachi: Ive peen looking forward to this, try not to die too quickly!

Kaemon
September 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
So, your envisioning something like this?

Commander-General Yamamoto: Your experiments have gone too far! Leave at once!
Gin Ichimaru: I's really for your own good, you know...
Utana: Oh dear, why did it have to come to this?
Aizen: Urahara my friend, perhaps you should do as the Commander says, but first why don't you have a look at my Shikai?
Byakua: You have broken the rules of soul society. I will kill you myself! Chire!
Tossen: I cannot allow you to disturb the peace!
Konamura: How dare you betray the Commander!
Kenpachi: Ive peen looking forward to this, try not to die too quickly!

Haha, oh joyful. These are always fun to read. >_> I can imagine Gin saying that. Ha.

Wolfshadow
September 18, 2007, 02:09 AM
Haha, oh joyful. These are always fun to read. >_> I can imagine Gin saying that. Ha.

Thank you! Thank you! And for my next trick I'll pull a rabbit out of Matsumoto's breasts. :p

borgholian
September 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
urahara is like the dark horse of this manga. does anyone else think that his zanpaktou looks like a gunblade a bit.
anyway i support the idea that he is mostly soul form and has these portable gigais that he uses when interacting with people. this guy will probably last to face aizen.

GX255
September 19, 2007, 11:13 PM
urahara is like the dark horse of this manga. does anyone else think that his zanpaktou looks like a gunblade a bit.
anyway i support the idea that he is mostly soul form and has these portable gigais that he uses when interacting with people. this guy will probably last to face aizen.
i hope so
and i hope
vizards are affliated with him
and hopefully
urahara has a mask himself =)

Neuroff
September 20, 2007, 12:07 AM
Urahara has been seen by regular humans. Look at chapter 29, when he drags Ichigo's body away from the show.

Kaemon
September 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
Urahara has been seen by regular humans. Look at chapter 29, when he drags Ichigo's body away from the show.

True, but he didn't use Shinigami powers at all in that area, so it really can't be said whether or not he actually has the ability to use Shinigami Abilities, Zanpakutou and all, while in a Gigai. Now, if he did something like summon his Zanpakutou with other people around and them see it, that would be different.

ttxdragon
September 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
he had his zanpakutou out: he poked ichigo in the head with it to release him from his body.
although he could have made a 'special item' that looks like his zanpakutou for it.

one thing we know from the tanks though: yuzu can see the little boy of the shop XD

Kaemon
September 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
Of course she can see him, she lives with ichigo :-/ And If Inoue gained God powers, Chad gained Hollow powers, and what not, she definitely has something :-/

ttxdragon
September 20, 2007, 11:52 AM
It was stated in the beginning of the manga that Yuzu can sense presences but not see them, unlike Karin.
It was in the first chapter with the old man that Rukia later send to SoulSociety. (if i remember correctly)

Kaemon
September 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
It was stated in the beginning of the manga that Yuzu can sense presences but not see them, unlike Karin.
It was in the first chapter with the old man that Rukia later send to SoulSociety. (if i remember correctly)

Hmm, yeah, but I thought at some point she was actually able to see them :-/ Oh well, who knows.

But Anyway, the cane that he used to shove Ichigo out of his body isn't anything special, Rukia had that glove and what not...

ttxdragon
September 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
But Anyway, the cane that he used to shove Ichigo out of his body isn't anything special, Rukia had that glove and what not...

It's just that that cane looks incidentally exactly like the cane that his zanpakutou is and that he was using it in spirit form against ichigo... when fighting (although we can't say that he wasn't in the gigai there) against ichigo after/while ichigo achieved shikai.

So it's more of a question whether you believe he made a tool to look like his zanpakutou for when he is in a gigai or not ^^

Kaemon
September 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
It's just that that cane looks incidentally exactly like the cane that his zanpakutou is and that he was using it in spirit form against ichigo... when fighting (although we can't say that he wasn't in the gigai there) against ichigo after/while ichigo achieved shikai.

So it's more of a question whether you believe he made a tool to look like his zanpakutou for when he is in a gigai or not ^^

I think he just believes the cane makes him look cool >_> Plus adding extra soul-kicking-out action!

Wolfshadow
September 20, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hmm, yeah, but I thought at some point she was actually able to see them :-/ Oh well, who knows.

If you count the anime as cannon then Yuzu did gain the ability to see spirits/hollows when she came into contact with the cat's spirit (this was during the SS arc).

Neuroff
September 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
The cane is his zanpakutou, there would be no reason for him to have two canes.

AngryChubbs
September 20, 2007, 10:37 PM
i hope so
and i hope
vizards are affliated with him
and hopefully
urahara has a mask himself =)

i dont think he has a mask because i remember in the series when the mask first started showing up, ichigo said that he had to deal with it himself because he was trained by uruhara and uruhara had to have known about the mask but never talked about it with ichigo. so meaning, i dont think uruhara has a mask because if he did, then wouldn't he have explained it to ichigo instead of having ichigo having to go train with the vizard.

Wolfshadow
September 21, 2007, 09:07 AM
i dont think he has a mask because i remember in the series when the mask first started showing up, ichigo said that he had to deal with it himself because he was trained by uruhara and uruhara had to have known about the mask but never talked about it with ichigo. so meaning, i dont think uruhara has a mask because if he did, then wouldn't he have explained it to ichigo instead of having ichigo having to go train with the vizard.

Not necessarily, it could be that he didn't want Ichigo to learn how to use those powers (remember when Yourichi took the mask away in SS) and thus tip Aizen off on how to use them. Or it could be that, since he knew that the Vizards were gonna make contact with Ichigo he decided to let them handle it, since he doesn't seem to be the type to do the work himself when he can get others to do it (remember how he conned Renji into doing Chad's training?)

hollow veggie
September 22, 2007, 02:32 AM
I think that Urahara is affiliated with the Viazards and is one himself. I think he became a viazard naturally and studied himself and learned to create the Hogyoku. If I am correct he wouldn't tell ichigo because he wants to stay hidden in his knowledge of the viazard so no one suspects him being affiliated.

segua
November 25, 2007, 12:55 PM
Chapter 240 page 6, where Ichigo, Chad and Ishida goes into Heuco Mundo. We see that Ichigo's class mates saw Urahara. So did they gain a little bit of spiritual power or could they always see him?

Neuroff
November 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think that Urahara is affiliated with the Viazards and is one himself. I think he became a viazard naturally and studied himself and learned to create the Hogyoku. If I am correct he wouldn't tell ichigo because he wants to stay hidden in his knowledge of the viazard so no one suspects him being affiliated.
If Urahara already had hollow powers, there would be absolutely no reason for him to make the Hougyoku. He must have been considering giving himself a hollow side when he made it, and later decided that it was too dangerous and sealed it.

Chapter 240 page 6, where Ichigo, Chad and Ishida goes into Heuco Mundo. We see that Ichigo's class mates saw Urahara. So did they gain a little bit of spiritual power or could they always see him?
Normal humans see Urahara in the Don Kanonji chapters. Look at chapter 29, pages 11-15, where the guards talk to Urahara immediately after he uses his zanpakutou to get Ichigo into shinigami form.

Also, Keigo talks about seeing Urahara while Ichigo and Ishida were fighting the Menos Grande in chapter 51. This must be before he had the ability to see spirits because he didn't see Ichigo at all.