PDA

View Full Version : Powers Devil Fruits

Pages : [1] 2

Kikimora
May 03, 2006, 01:13 PM
I wonder, how do people know which fruit to eat? I mean, is it possible to know what exact abilities are provided by a perticular fruit? Or you learn this only after you've eaten it?

Predator
May 03, 2006, 01:22 PM
One learns it only after eating it.
That's the most interestong thing about Devils Fruits. Else everyone would want the coolest powers.
BTW, that was explained in recent chapters. Kaku and Califa ate the fruits and they didn't know the names of those.

ltphil
May 03, 2006, 01:32 PM
and another evil deatil is.....you can't t even tell which power you'll gaining from the colour or the form of the fruits.....

the giraffe giraffe fruit looked like a banana....

illaeht
May 03, 2006, 01:39 PM
but when Luffy ate the fruit shanks and his crew seemed to already knew it was the rubber devil fruit -_-

Hermie
May 03, 2006, 01:45 PM
I think they just guessed it, because they just happened to have a fruit laying around, and his body suddently turned freaky. :p

Kikimora
May 03, 2006, 02:58 PM
Else everyone would want the coolest powers.

Yeah, that makes sense. But then, another question. What happens if you eat a fruit and then another fruit? Do your powers change?

ltphil
May 03, 2006, 03:01 PM
I think they just guessed it, because they just happened to have a fruit laying around, and his body suddently turned freaky. :p

I've just checked it.....Shanks seems to know which fruit it was......but it's true that the name of the Fruit is called 1st time after luffy streches the first time.....[br]Posted at: May 03, 2006, 09:00:27 AM_________________________________________________

Yeah, that makes sense. But then, another question. What happens if you eat a fruit and then another fruit? Do your powers change?

nope.....you would explode.......

there's a scene in the Manga (don't know exactly where) and there it is mentioned that you wouldexplode if you eat 2 fruits.....

enzomars
May 03, 2006, 03:34 PM
there's a scene in the Manga (don't know exactly where) and there it is mentioned that you wouldexplode if you eat 2 fruits.....

I was wondering too.
Just start watching and reading OP (still at the end of Crocodile's arc ). You just answered to what i was thinking :-)

By the way ... this stuff is WAY BETTER than naruto. Why didn't anybody tell me :mad

ltphil
May 03, 2006, 03:53 PM
By the way ... this stuff is WAY BETTER than naruto. Why didn't anybody tell me :mad

that's your personal opinion.....
i've never read one single page of a naruto manga.......but after reading some good things about it in this forum...i'll start soon.....

so far i can't tell which one is better....but i'm quite happy with op...

Galth
May 03, 2006, 04:57 PM

Well, i see Naruto as a well-rounded story, and One Piece's story isn't all that important, what makes it fun is the fact that Oda is just really good at depicting action scenes, has too much humor for a single person, and emotional scenes too, like Robin's "i want to live!" thing this very arc, in short, One Piece is great for getting to the readers feelings. Oda makes you hate a person from the depth of your soul, and then uses exactly what you want to happen to him. Not slice him up, nor capture him, but this one kind of pain only fists and faces can give you... bla, this post sucks, but everybody that knows one piece should know what i mean :p

enzomars
May 03, 2006, 05:27 PM
feelings feelings , and ultra uba super cool dialogs and text throwing. The personality of the characters is so well exploited and showed. I'm just fond off. I even cryed watching the Anime. Me a freakin dinosaure cry to an anime? Gosh that was just too much to stand ( Arlong Parc arc ).

Hehe and the last thing i've just seen ...
Smoker : I have a message for those old geezers at the world government ...
Tell them to eat shit!!!

waaahhh sooo cooollllll.

Kikimora
May 03, 2006, 06:55 PM
Khal, yeah, you have a point there. There is a book by Gerard Jones, 'Killing Monsters', it's about psychology processes which make people watch violent movies and so on. Whan you've said is just what he talks about during the whole book, with lots of examples and explanations. =) Looks like Oda is an expert in mental matters 8)))

Oda makes you hate a person from the depth of your soul, and then uses exactly what you want to happen to him.
- and this he calles 'make-belief violence', which is essential for emotional relaxation 8)

jabbament
May 04, 2006, 08:24 PM
Just because I dislike claiming things (even if they may be true) without proof:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/48/onepiece385033vl.th.png (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=onepiece385033vl.png)
There you go. Eat two and explode.

Also, if you expand on what's said there some, you'd see that they have scientists studying Devil Fruits, so its not that big of an assumption that there IS a way to find out what power they grant before they're eaten.

ltphil
May 04, 2006, 09:00 PM
there you have it....right from the horses mouth...(jabbaments mouth :p )

Oni No Kami
May 05, 2006, 03:04 PM
I have another question regarding devil fruits. How do the one who ate the fruit instantly know what the fruit will do? I guess with Luffy there was change in his body but what those zoan types and the lightning and fire types. Also how come Kalifa already knows the different applications of her powers. Based on the manga it didnt seem like they have enough time to learn and discover what their new powers where, the Straw Hats were right on their tails.

ltphil
May 05, 2006, 03:47 PM
they don't know hwat they can and can't until they tried it.....

crokodile said that he was training like there's no tomorow...just to get new Attcks and abbilities.....

Kalifa and Kaku don't even now 10% of their new powers.....

that's why luffy is so damn strong....he fights all the time....so he get better.....and better....

SPOILER

for example.....he just let us see his new Gear 2/3 form.... how long is he able to do that.....nobody(just ODA) knows.....

but the important thing is...that he couldn't do it right from the start....

maybe later in the Manga we gonna see Kalifa again...because her powers are huge......if she tries and get praktice....

she could possible clean what ever she wants.....fire....water....pain.....damage....and so on......

Lohnt
May 06, 2006, 03:40 AM
SPOILER
maybe later in the Manga we gonna see Kalifa again...because her powers are huge......if she tries and get praktice....
she could possible clean what ever she wants.....fire....water....pain.....damage....and so on......

..my laundry *gets kicked by Kalifa* "SEXIST!"
sorry..

Whirlwind
May 07, 2006, 08:46 PM
for example.....he just let us see his new Gear 2/3 form.... how long is he able to do that.....nobody(just ODA) knows.....

Gear 2, he was able to do that only after the first part of his fight with Bruno. All gear 2 is, is Luffy's "flashy" name (you know how he REALLY like cool looking/sounding stuff) for being able to apply the movement the CP9 does (if forget the name of it, the hitting 10 times before moving thing) to everything he has, as well as making his combat moves not actually hit but letting air shockwaves (like the CP9 leg kick i forget its name again). Hence why he thanked Bruno for being able to encounter him first, confirming it was possible to move like that and to see exactly how he did it.

Gear 3 i dont know though, it could be a pre-existing form, or just an application of everything he learned from the CP9 movement and compression and such, not much is known bout how it actually functions enough to make guesses.

jabbament
May 07, 2006, 10:23 PM
Gear 2, he was able to do that only after the first part of his fight with Bruno. All gear 2 is, is Luffy's "flashy" name (you know how he REALLY like cool looking/sounding stuff) for being able to apply the movement the CP9 does (if forget the name of it, the hitting 10 times before moving thing) to everything he has, as well as making his combat moves not actually hit but letting air shockwaves (like the CP9 leg kick i forget its name again). Hence why he thanked Bruno for being able to encounter him first, confirming it was possible to move like that and to see exactly how he did it.

Gear 3 i dont know though, it could be a pre-existing form, or just an application of everything he learned from the CP9 movement and compression and such, not much is known bout how it actually functions enough to make guesses.

The speed is Soru and the leg kick is Rankyaku.

Gear 3 is a mystery at the moment...we know it strikes a powerful blow and he turns chibi...that's about all. We'll probably get an explaination about it when he uses it next time.

[kind of off topic:]
And here's a random question: Can a rubberman explode? If Luffy were to somehow eat (or tricked into eating...'cuz, c'mon, he's a moron and even accepts food from strangers) a 2nd Devil's Fruit, would he really die? "Explosion" is too vague a term I think. If its an explosion like, the body expands beyond the normal physical limits and therefore "boom", would Luffy actually die since he's rubber and as far as we know, he has no limit to his expansion? Or is it more like a reactor boom and everything blows?

I somehow see someone trying to off Luffy with a 2nd Devil's fruit...I kind of hope not though, since obviously he has to survive, and he'd become even more powerful.

Lohnt
May 08, 2006, 05:29 PM
He has a limit, Oda said 200 meters (or was it feet?)

However it isn't a kind of "BOOM" explosion, it's more of your apendix blew up, internal bleeding you die kind of thing.
Basically the two demons fighting tear up your body from the inside out, to create an explosion like death.
*edit or like the little cute alien that burst out of peoples chests in the movie series ironically titled "Alien"*

I don't think Gear 2 is just the 6 forms though... seems like Luffy physically changes and Vulcanizes/releases steam thus changing his own physical make up.
I dunno, I guess we'll have to watch the anime for more clarification.

jabbament
May 08, 2006, 11:54 PM
He has a limit, Oda said 200 meters (or was it feet?)

However it isn't a kind of "BOOM" explosion, it's more of your apendix blew up, internal bleeding you die kind of thing.
Basically the two demons fighting tear up your body from the inside out, to create an explosion like death.
*edit or like the little cute alien that burst out of peoples chests in the movie series ironically titled "Alien"*

I don't think Gear 2 is just the 6 forms though... seems like Luffy physically changes and Vulcanizes/releases steam thus changing his own physical make up.
I dunno, I guess we'll have to watch the anime for more clarification.

That, 2 demons fight and tear up your body thing was shot down (unless you read it elsewhere?):
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/48/onepiece385033vl.th.png (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=onepiece385033vl.png)

Still makes me wonder. Obviously, that's the easiest way for someone to off Luffy...I mean, you'd think someone would have thought of it by now?

And eh, I dislike the Vulcanization theory...not sure why exactly, just doesn't sit right with me. If he's survived as a rubberman for this long, why resort to vulcanization now? Well, ignore that comment anyway...they'll eventually explain it.

Oh, and its probably 200 meters. Remember when they first got to Sky Island, and Usopp went for a dive? Yeah, Luffy's arm stretched way more than 200 feet...so I suppose 200 meters it is then...that is IF Oda said it, not doubting you, I haven't heard it elsewhere or read any interviews or anything. Too lazy. :p

ketwaroo
May 09, 2006, 02:59 AM

well, maybe its through training.
crocodile told him once that only those who use their devil fruit powers to the fullest will survive the grandline.
he met Enel and the Priests in sky island, and maybe got the hang of that Mantra thing.
he fought the CP9 and maybe learnt shingan.

the straw hat crew have been through a lot of fighting, every where they go there's usually total war and chaos

Lohnt
May 09, 2006, 04:02 AM
Ok, I'm not saying I've heard it from the most reliable sources but I mean as much trust as there is online, I've heard someone say Oda said 200 meters. (Ussually BS doesn't involve "Oda said..."). So take it with a measuring spoon or w/e the expression is.
However he definately has a limit, it's been shown before he does.

The 2 demon thing came from that same page. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the conversation, however isn't it casual for anime to go against the "scientific" facts later in the series to make the show more mystical/cool/fictional? Which is why I'm not ruling out the old village tale just yet.
Now I don't understand the explosion reaction if it has nothing to do with demons but w/e I'm sure more explanations will come later

jabbament
May 09, 2006, 11:01 AM
Ok, I'm not saying I've heard it from the most reliable sources but I mean as much trust as there is online, I've heard someone say Oda said 200 meters. (Ussually BS doesn't involve "Oda said..."). So take it with a measuring spoon or w/e the expression is.
However he definately has a limit, it's been shown before he does.

The 2 demon thing came from that same page. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the conversation, however isn't it casual for anime to go against the "scientific" facts later in the series to make the show more mystical/cool/fictional? Which is why I'm not ruling out the old village tale just yet.
Now I don't understand the explosion reaction if it has nothing to do with demons but w/e I'm sure more explanations will come later
Well, that's true...I'm sure after 10 years he's answered the question SOMEWHERE. :p And yeah, there are tons of variations of that saying...I think my favorite is "Take it with a grain of salt".

And that could be...would surely be amusing to see. The only reason I somehow don't think its anything like that is because the World Government has scientists experimenting on/with Devil's Fruits...and since the World Government is quite corrupt, I wouldn't be suprised if they use captured criminals from Impel Down for their experiments...but, that would still be interesting to see 2 devils fighting over someone's soul. :p

Lohnt
May 09, 2006, 06:21 PM
Unfortunately/fortunately we don't even see the one devil entering the DF eaters soul, thus I doubt this would happen, you would just see the death and that's all.

Now I say fortunately because thus far OP has stayed relatively away from the whole spiritual mystical thing, and if they decided to add it this late into the series, it could backfire (IMO).

ltphil
May 10, 2006, 05:17 PM
i don't think Oda will start with this devil stuff....

he has allready written something about the Scientists at the Grandline which knows how it works....

and i really hope that he isn't going that devil/evil spirit thing...
it is just fine know with the physik thing....
rubber/thunder....etc.

Whirlwind
May 14, 2006, 05:48 PM
I dont think anyone will try feeding Luffy another fruit because while WE know he's gullible and would probably accept any food offered, thats not known to the general public of their world, to them he's a dangerous pirate. Such a high bounty screams a dangerous murderous pirate, not anything like what Luffy is like. Not to mention that he's a fruit user isnt known on the bounty, as most people that first meet him are surprised when they first see the stretching. So it'll be more likely anyone able to get their hands on a fruit would think more of using it themselves (or on a henchman/friend, though getting a fruit in the first place is hard enough) than to think of trying to trick another fruit user.

Strawhat_4491
May 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
It changes your body so if they felt a change it would be their fruits. In Kalifa's case she probably slipped a bunch of times and made the floor all shiny and the tiles cracked and figured out her powers in time to fight sanji. :0

princesscupincakes
June 05, 2006, 12:39 AM
I have been thinking a lot lately about what Devil Fruits do. Like what would happen if someone split a df in half and 2 seperate people ate them, would they have the same powers, does it matter how much of the fruit you eat, does eating the whole thing make you a more powerful user?
Also, if a df user had kids, would the powers pass on to the kid? Could you imagine Ace with a fire weilding baby?! The house would burn down. You'd have to keep the kid in the waterr or in seastone until they could learn to control it. And what if both parents had them? Would the kid explode? But of course no one with df powers is mentioned to have children, so it's just sitting there in my brain, nagging away.

Jammer
June 06, 2006, 08:24 AM
about gear 2 and 3:
while traveling on the Rocketman on its way to Enies Lobby Luffy mentions something about a new move/attack he couldn't wait to try :smile-big - and I think its something he made up just recently because after CP9 beating him that badly he probably thought of a way to increase his strength in order to protect his nakama

about the devils taking over the souls: we saw this happen in Chopper's MONSTER form - that wasn't Chopper but the Devil inside him destroying anything/one standing on its way. the thing is that he used medicine (catalizator) to reach this state. something that those Grandline scientist didn't even imagine :eyeroll

slifer619
June 08, 2006, 05:36 AM
Chopper DF power after useing 3 rumble balls was to much for him to control,The Devil inside of him was going crazy because the wave length of the DF was all out of wack.

I wonder if other Zoan type users were to use the Rumbleball,would it have the same effect on them like it had on chopper?and if so,What type of Monster Would they transform into after 3 Rumble balls?

Jammer
June 09, 2006, 07:38 AM
for Chopper - the DF power was out of control even after the 2nd rumble ball in a row. - at that moment he could think of the best form to transform to, but physically he couldn't make the proper transformation. when he decided to use the 3rd r.ball he already knew what will happen - that's why his last thought was "i hope no nakama is cose-by" (or something like that :) )
the 3rd r.ball was like the final lock detaining the Devil from taking control himself. and I think the effect of the Devil lasted a while longer than the 3 minutes that the first rumble ball was active

it is very likely that every DF user can use the r balls to provoke the Devil but that wouldn't be rational - well I don't want to see Lucchi after a high dose of rumble balls that's for sure :blink

Brede
June 09, 2006, 08:11 AM
well I don't want to see Lucchi after a high dose of rumble balls that's for sure :blink

i would love to see Kaku after 3 rumble balls. Imagine, a 'wild' giraffe on the rampage...

Lohnt
June 09, 2006, 09:31 AM
I'm sure it'll happen. All opponents can't be too stupid to notice Chopper munching on the balls, eventually he will fight a Zoan that is intelligent/experienced in combat enough to notice him use the rumble balls and will steal one. At least I hope Oda doesn't make it so that Chopper never fights an opponent that is intelligent enough to take advantage, I assume it's the reason he didn't have Chopper fight a Zoan this time around despite how many there were. He's saving the fight for a later time when the crew will have a serious threat like Aokoji to deal with.

abu_89
June 12, 2006, 08:38 PM
Hmm... I wonder why Luffy got the rubber devil fruit when the elemental fruits are supposed to be stronger... maybe there's a rumble ball demon inside him that's really strong... RUBBERZILLA!!!

overkill
June 17, 2006, 08:24 PM
hmmmmm, here's a thought (though admittedly not very coherent :p )...

nature v. nurture.

do the devil fruits each have their own power, and whoever eats it will get that power...

or, does the devil fruit bring out a certain power that the eater has latent in them?

imagine if Kaku and Kalifa had eaten different fruits? can you imagine a Kalifa-giraffe and a soapy-Kaku?

just a random thought that popped into my head while i was watching some One Piece anime. :smile-big

Admiral Wolfpox
June 28, 2006, 05:21 PM
ABOUT LUFFY'S VULCANIZATION:
If you research vulcanization you will learn that it makes rubber way more resistant to heat and cold! This means that if Luffy vulcanized the right way, he might be able to beat Aokiji and Ace!! Oda is the kind of guy who always researches what he's doing, so you better believe he's looking into every possible way to improve Luffy. If you want proof of this, look at how Enel actually uses his electric powers to solder metal and uses gold as a conductor, or how Smoker uses his smoke powers to ride the "Smog Hog", or how Aokiji rides the bicycle on the ocean, or how Mr. 3 uses it to create sculptures...... he's always thinking of how to apply the Devil Fruits, and rubber will be no exception I'm sure.

ABOUT DEVIL'S FRUITS IN GENERAL:
I think that Oda will explain in the future that anyone who eats a Devil's Fruit was actually chosen by the fruit, and that it was all fate. The right fruits go to the right people and give them the right powers. There are no coincidences or accidents. And I think I read in a translation of an SBS (on the Arlong Park website) that if someone with a Devil's Fruit even gets close to a different Devil's Fruit he'll feel so sick that he can't eat it -- so tricking someone into eating it would be impossible.

Anyway, I really wonder why Chopper never offers a rumble ball to Luffy or Robin. It should work on more people than just Zoan types, since it just shifts wavelengths. Hmm.

1swift
June 28, 2006, 06:27 PM
i wonder if there is a mizu mizu (water) fruit and how that person would be affected in the sea...maybe the only fruit immune to it? (I like to think that maybe shanks ate that one which is why he has so much respect/power yet was able to swim but then again it doesnt make sense why he didnt save his arm so he probably doesnt have a DF at that time)...i just wonder about that fruit and its possibilities...could be extremely powerful seeing as Oda researches uses for the fruits and the human body has so much water and there is just water everywhere almost all the time

Admiral Wolfpox
June 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
i wonder if there is a mizu mizu (water) fruit and how that person would be affected in the sea...maybe the only fruit immune to it? (I like to think that maybe shanks ate that one which is why he has so much respect/power yet was able to swim but then again it doesnt make sense why he didnt save his arm so he probably doesnt have a DF at that time)...i just wonder about that fruit and its possibilities...could be extremely powerful seeing as Oda researches uses for the fruits and the human body has so much water and there is just water everywhere almost all the time

The whole premise of the DF is that the ocean CURSES them, so I'd say there is a 0.000001% chance that there's a water fruit. Guys like Shanks don't need a DF to become worldwide threats.

1swift
June 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
so you're sayin theres a chance eh...haha i think the probability of there bing such a fruit is much much higher but that number seems about right for the abilities i mentioned to come with it

Brede
July 04, 2006, 02:26 AM
so you're sayin theres a chance eh...haha

:Haha you're definitely the glass half full type.

silveril
July 04, 2006, 08:31 AM
it's not only the sea but water also
in the questions that oda answers too, he said that when df users takes shower they are weakened ;)

5il3nc3r
July 04, 2006, 11:46 AM
But in that case, DF users shouldn't even be able to drink water, because then they'd be weakened for as long as the water is there (think Luffy's second fight against Crocodile). And besides, humans are supposed (it's a fact) to be comprised of something like 70% water so unless DF users get a whole biological change, your reply is void.

As for the person who asked what would happen if you split a DF in half and 2 ppl ate them, only the very first person to take a bite would get the powers. The other would just eat a very bad tasting fruit. (and it's technically impossible for 2 people to take a bite at the EXACT same time (think nanoseconds if you have to).

As for the 2 DF users having children, although it wasn't explained (not to my knowledge anyway) I don't think the powers transfer to the children. It's just so that the various abilities can be eventually transferred to someone else:
When a DF user dies, there should be a way for that specific power to return to another DF so that someone else, someday, could get that power, but to make sure there can't be more than 1 person at the same time with the same power.

And on a side note, wouldn't someone with the "air" power (ability to control air) be considered too powerful? He would technically be able to fly, so if he's falling in the water, he can just fly away (unless he's unconscious). Plus, the easiest way to kill someone would be to simply create a small bubble of vacuum around someone's head, effectively preventing them from breathing, thus dying from asphyxia. (With greater power, you could kill a whole island or whatever by creating a huge bubble of emptyness :p )

And I also have a question: About the zoan type, are they only standard animals or do you think it could be possible to have mythical zoans (dragons, unicorns, etc.) wouldn't that be cool? (this coming from a dedicated dragon-fan ^_^; )
And when will we see a fox zoan-type user? :)

§ıĿ

silveril
July 04, 2006, 12:31 PM
are you questionning god ODA?.. whatever he says is real in his world :D so yeah taking shower weakens the df users (that's why then only wash their body half at a time)

5il3nc3r
July 04, 2006, 12:39 PM
lol

Then maybe it's only effective when the water touches their skin... maybe their inside is immune to it?

Cuz even if Oda said so, how come Luffy was still in top shape when fighting crocodile at the Castle? He had this big water barrel on his back that would keep him humid enough to be able to hit Croc. Or when he swallowed the whole barrel and became Mizu Luffy, why didn't he become weak then?

§ıĿ

ibra87
July 04, 2006, 03:09 PM
It's the sea that stops his powers, meaning if he drowns in the water. Crocodile only got weak because his ability, the sand, ain't that happy for water.

5il3nc3r
July 04, 2006, 03:53 PM
Yea, I know that, but silveril says that any kind of water drains DF user's powers. I'm just stating that, with the 2nd fight between Luffy and "Wani" (Crocodile), Luffy kept being in contact with all that water in order to effectively fight him. So if what silveril said is true, shouldn't Luffy have become completely weak when he became "Mizu Luffy"?

That's all I'm saying.

§ıĿ

hyper_megaman
July 25, 2006, 06:30 AM
yea it's stated that it's a mineral in the sea which drains their strength, not the water itself

otherwise the marines would be carrying ice sticks, not seastone paddles[br]Posted on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:29 AM_________________________________________________lol imagine getting weakened into submission with a paddle pop rainbow special

Jammer
July 25, 2006, 07:19 AM
I think it was explained to be sea water concentrated into a mineral - a crystalized sea

in movie 2 - about the clockwork island there was a girl that had the mizu mizu fruit (or was it liquid) and was traveling thru pipes
so regular water doesn't weaken luffy - he is drinking water and it doesn't affect him - it's just sea/ocean water

shinwei
July 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
regular water doesn't weaken luffy - he is drinking water and it doesn't affect him - it's just sea/ocean water

This is incorrect. Anyone who's eaten a Devil Fruit will become useless if half their body or MORE is submerged in any knid of water. This is explained during Nami and Kalifa's recent fight, and once before (dont' remember when).

Lohnt
July 26, 2006, 07:07 AM
During the SBS Oda said what you said Shinwei.

Also showers/rain doesn't weaken DF users, however a bath/puddle (halfway up their body) would weaken them.

hyper_megaman
July 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
it was said previously that weakening in the sea was due to the mineral

sea water has 2 effects on df users,
1) makes them lose control over their powers
2) makes them weak/strengthless, paralyses them

soo.., when kalifa was bathing, she did not seem to be weakened/paralysed at all

so.. immersion in water makes u lose control over ur powers, and the specific sea minerals if present in the water will paralyse u/make u strengthless? this is plausible

HolySabre
July 29, 2006, 10:39 PM
i thought kalifa was bathing in her own bubbles

rennokun
July 30, 2006, 09:55 PM
This is incorrect. Anyone who's eaten a Devil Fruit will become useless if half their body or MORE is submerged in any knid of water. This is explained during Nami and Kalifa's recent fight, and once before (dont' remember when).

how do u explain the sea stone then when they expain it have the power of the sea therefore stop the devil fruit ability isnt that suggesting it have to be sea water.

and i thought nami saying that cause she can use thunder

shinwei
August 01, 2006, 03:23 PM
how do u explain the sea stone then when they expain it have the power of the sea therefore stop the devil fruit ability isnt that suggesting it have to be sea water.

Seastones just... do that.
But trust me when I say they become useless when half their body or more is submerged in water. Oda said so himself during an SBS corner.

alazim
August 07, 2006, 01:24 AM
only sea water will make df user week..normal water don't give any effect to them..but for crocdile it was special case..because nature of his power that week with water..it same principle with goro-goro friut(enel) that week with rubber..

I think it was explained to be sea water concentrated into a mineral - a crystalized sea

in movie 2 - about the clockwork island there was a girl that had the mizu mizu fruit (or was it liquid) and was traveling thru pipes
so regular water doesn't weaken luffy - he is drinking water and it doesn't affect him - it's just sea/ocean water

yap..in this movie that is a girl that have water power..that have been captured with bottel..

shinwei
August 07, 2006, 11:08 AM
only sea water will make df user week..normal water don't give any effect to them..but for crocdile it was special case..because nature of his power that week with water..it same principle with goro-goro friut(enel) that week with rubber..

No, NOT only Sea Water!! Luffy can't do anything in fresh water, cloud water, or even a bathtub full of chlorine water!

This was explained clearly in an SBS.

LightReaper
August 07, 2006, 12:47 PM
Movies aren't really considered canon as they are not done by Kishimoto himself.

shinwei
August 07, 2006, 12:48 PM
Movies aren't really considered canon as they are not done by Kishimoto himself.

Kishimoto? I think you're getting a little confused here. It's Oda :)

LightReaper
August 07, 2006, 01:54 PM
Kishimoto? I think you're getting a little confused here. It's Oda :)

Right right, I keep getting them mixed up today; lack of sleep =(.

Lohnt
August 07, 2006, 03:47 PM
Right right, I keep getting them mixed up today; lack of sleep =(.

Lol I know the feeling.. heh Kishimoto, get some rest dude, it's summertime.

alazim
August 08, 2006, 11:57 PM
No, NOT only Sea Water!! Luffy can't do anything in fresh water, cloud water, or even a bathtub full of chlorine water!

This was explained clearly in an SBS.

ok..maybe i little bit wrong..but how u explain when he fight with crocdile..in that fight obiously he use fresh water to make crocdile power uneffective..
so maybe sea cloud at skypiea have same effect with normal sea water..if im not mistaken the old guy that SH's meet say that sea cloud have cairo stone on it that make the cloud easy to be use.. :noworry

rennokun
August 10, 2006, 07:39 AM
so devil fruit user basically lose their power in h2o
how bout when luffy drink all the water when figting crocodile do u consider that to be cover in water although it is from inside :p

alazim
August 11, 2006, 04:05 AM
they don't lose their power in fresh water only sea water..sea stone(kairo stone)

DesiSkull
August 13, 2006, 10:13 PM
hmm not really sure.. but i think when he stored water in his belly.. thts different from being under the water.. storing the water is more like drinking the water... it doesnt matter if its sea water or not.. drinking the water or being splashed [might depend the amount is being used but we probably seen luffy in face several times] with water doesnt effect the DF users.. its only when u r completely under the water or u keep urself arms or legs in water for certain time..

shinwei
August 14, 2006, 09:03 AM
More than 1/2 of body submerged in water (any kind of water) will cause a Devil Fruit user to become weak. Storing water in your belly is not submerging yourself in water. Getting splashed with water is not becoming submerged.

Luffy became weak beneath Rain Dinners when it completely flooded and Zoro had to carry him out. That was fresh water!
Luffy became weak in the white white sea even though it was made of clouds. Clouds do not have salt in them.
Kalifa became weak in her bathtub, but got out soon enough so it didn't affect her fight.

ketwaroo
August 15, 2006, 09:04 AM
it could be that kalifa's tub had only foam in it and no water.

a thought on the Devil:

its possible that this has been mentioned before but i been thinking that Devil Fruits(DF) are actually all the same kind of fruit.

i'll explain,

they may have different shapes and sizes but all DF have the same pineapple like texture, taste like shit(like durians) AND do not have any name until they are eaten.
since its impossible to know the nature of a DF before it is eaten, it could be that it has no specific nature before its eaten. just raw power.

kaku liked giraffes so he became a giraffeman when he ate his fruit. smoke smokes a lot so he can become smoke. Buggy has one neat circus trick. all of them seem to have powers that match their personality.

shinwei
August 15, 2006, 09:06 AM

Two reasons why this is not true:
1) Kalifa STATES that she did get weakened by the water in the bathtub but it didn't matter because Nami was under the effects of her bubbles anyway.
2) The water from that bathtub eventually splashes on Sanji after being thrown by Chopper down the tower to lift Sanji from his bubbly misery.

hyper_megaman
August 17, 2006, 05:43 AM

a thought on the Devil:

its possible that this has been mentioned before but i been thinking that Devil Fruits(DF) are actually all the same kind of fruit.

i'll explain,

they may have different shapes and sizes but all DF have the same pineapple like texture, taste like shit(like durians) AND do not have any name until they are eaten.
since its impossible to know the nature of a DF before it is eaten, it could be that it has no specific nature before its eaten. just raw power.

kaku liked giraffes so he became a giraffeman when he ate his fruit. smoke smokes a lot so he can become smoke. Buggy has one neat circus trick. all of them seem to have powers that match their personality.
1/2 the world doesn't like durians and u may belong in there, but it doesn't mean the other 1/2 has to tolerate u calling their delicacies shit..
it's something people place in their mouths, don't call it shit it's disrespectful.

alvida's smooth powers had nothing to do with her pockmarked face anyway, and she, even in her big fat pimpled form, thought herself the most beautiful creature on earth, so i don't think she wanted the devil fruit to have anything to do with her beauty(because she probably thought there was no need for one) but she got one that did anyway. i'm pretty sure a lot of df users actually want/ed a logia fruit anyway, but they end/ed up not getting them

ketwaroo
August 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
you must be asian then. well i wasn't calling durians shit. maybe if i said that DF taste like durians smell it should clear things. i never tasted durians. only smelled them from very far.
*stuffs durian joke down hyper_megaman throat to make him understand joke. hyper_megaman gets weird durian related powers*

and that not the only part of my english you did not understand.
Its not about the DF eaters wanting powers. it the powers that match them.
alvida thinks she's beautiful. so the df makes her really beautiful.
smoker smokes a lot so DF gives him smoke power.
Enel think he god so DF gives god like PAWAA!!
Buggy is a clown. so he gets circus powers. (ever seen the magic trick of cutting a lovely assistant in pieces?)
Hina is probably a dominatrix. DF gives caging powers.
pell is the falconman
the other guy is a Jackalman. both are avatars of the guardians of arabasta who happen to be Falcon and Jackal as well.

but Chopper may have wanted to be the same as other deers. so his DF played a trick on him and made him a human. but in the end his intelligence gained as a man made him more powerful.

DF are here to give inimaginable powers to those who eat them. so to be as powerful as possible, the powers need to match their users.

... only one i can't figure out is luffy. why rubber..?

Hermie
August 17, 2006, 03:20 PM
Explain these then: :p

05. Mr. 5 - Bomu Bomu (Bomb)
06. Miss Valentine - Kilo Kilo (Kilogram)
07. Nico Robin - Hana Hana (Flower)
08. Mr. 3 - Doru Doru (Wax)
10. Mr. 2, Bon Kurei - Mane Mane (Copy)
16. Lasso, Mr 4´s gun - Inu Inu (Dog: Model Dachshund)
17. Miss Merry Christmas - Mogu Mogu (Mole)
26. Foxy - Noro Noro (Slow)
27. Kalifa - Awa Awa (Bubble)
28. Rob Lucci - Neko Neko (Cat: Model Leopard)
29. Kaku - Ushi Ushi (Gariffe)
30. Blueno - Doa Doa (Door)
32. Funk Freed, Spandam's sword - Zou Zou (Elephant)

DesiSkull
August 17, 2006, 03:40 PM
ha ha i bet hez the only one who think that u get power accordin ur oneself personality. its shown that u dont know always what ability u will gain after eating one of the DF. but other than that its the fruit where the ability comes from or based on not on the fact that what oneself's personalities or habits.

ketwaroo
August 18, 2006, 02:08 AM
Explain these then: :p
ocase.

05. Mr. 5 - Bomu Bomu (Bomb)
if you look at the cover of chapter 407, you see that Mr 5 always wanted to be a fireman. DF are really perverted things

06. Miss Valentine - Kilo Kilo (Kilogram)
if you look at the cover of chapter 407, you see that Miss Valentine always wanted to be a "patissière" forgot how its said in english... baker? DF are really perverted things

07. Nico Robin - Hana Hana (Flower)
who was ever gonna give her a flower? DF are really perverted things. plus i think from time to time its shown that she likes flowers (those may have been fillers though)

08. Mr. 3 - Doru Doru (Wax)
He's a candle artist. probably before he got his powers

10. Mr. 2, Bon Kurei - Mane Mane (Copy)
HE's a freaking OKAMA!. japanese theater reference. he has to be able to take many roles. beit man woman or otherwise.

some slow soldiers talk to their guns and even give them names. Mr4 may have considered his as a dog.

17. Miss Merry Christmas - Mogu Mogu (Mole)
she does look like a penguin... or mole. DF are really perverted things

26. Foxy - Noro Noro (Slow)
he's quite slow himself so he can only win by making others slow.. DF are really perverted things

27. Kalifa - Awa Awa (Bubble)
She's the squeaky clean type of secretary. tha awa fruiy allows her to clean EVERYTHING.

28. Rob Lucci - Neko Neko (Cat: Model Leopard)
he's a fast and agressive motherfucker.

29. Kaku - Ushi Ushi (Gariffe)
He likes giraffes.[already mentioned]

30. Blueno - Doa Doa (Door)
he's probably a master thief or infiltration expert. so it makes things easier if he can put doors everywhere.

32. Funk Freed, Spandam's sword - Zou Zou (Elephant)
the sword looked like an elephant and had ivory tusks?

hyper_megaman
September 14, 2006, 04:55 AM
ever thought of it the otehr way round?

that their personalities get altered the moment they eat the devil fruits? u can't blame jyabura for being all cunning and vicious when he's half wolf afterall.

we've not seen enough examples of before-after df ingestion examples, all we know now is that these already-df-users have personalities matching their powers.

it could very well be the power that gave rise to the personality

bax
September 14, 2006, 06:20 AM

So a gun can become a dog.. I bet Mr4 is so stupid/genius to use a Devil Fruit as a bullet then turning his gun into a dog..

RevenGz
September 22, 2006, 08:37 AM
how does a gun and a sword consume a devil fruit?

goofy_man
September 22, 2006, 01:54 PM
how does a gun and a sword consume a devil fruit?

My thoughts exactly....how the f**k do you turn a gun or a sword into a living creature, let alone make it eat a fruit??

bax
September 23, 2006, 12:42 AM
My thoughts exactly....how the f**k do you turn a gun or a sword into a living creature, let alone make it eat a fruit??

My best guess, you use the DF as a bullet of weapons and for swords, you slash the DF into pieces.

Kratos
September 23, 2006, 01:38 AM
My best guess, you use the DF as a bullet of weapons and for swords, you slash the DF into pieces.

thats kind of weird but... hey is a manga

DesiSkull
September 23, 2006, 02:52 AM
dont u guys remember watchin the anime or reading the manga. tht its new type of devil fruit where an object can consume them. like that gun consumed that Inu Inu DF.

just check out the anime episode of 114-115. www.youtube.com skim it through

bax
September 23, 2006, 07:05 AM
dont u guys remember watchin the anime or reading the manga. tht its new type of devil fruit where an object can consume them. like that gun consumed that Inu Inu DF.

I'm not questioning can an object eat DF. The problem is, how in the world an object eat a DF??? Let say a sword.. Surely, as an object, it doesn't even has a mouth to eat that fruit... And DF powers are supposed to be a mystery before someone actually ate it and use the power. If there are types of DF, how could one tell the difference?

goofy_man
September 23, 2006, 08:59 PM
I'm not questioning can an object eat DF. The problem is, how in the world an object eat a DF??? Let say a sword.. Surely, as an object, it doesn't even has a mouth to eat that fruit... And DF powers are supposed to be a mystery before someone actually ate it and use the power. If there are types of DF, how could one tell the difference?

Until Oda-sensei explains this, we can debate this theory until we are corpses decaying in our graves.....

hyper_megaman
September 27, 2006, 04:43 AM
lol. good points. objects would only be good with devil fruits if the fruits were zoan(giving them a brain/mind in the process). otherwise lol imagine if it absorbed/whatever buggy's fruit, and it just breaks/splits on the spot in pieces and stays that way for the rest of eternity. LOL
or perhaps a logia fruit, the sword, with no brains to control its powers, either stays in its elemental form or stays in its normal form(and still works like a normal sword, since it can't listen to orders and all).

lol after considering all that, who in their right mind would waste/risk a fruit on objects? they must be pretty rich people with a very good source of devil fruits[br]Posted on: September 27, 2006, 05:21:01 AM_________________________________________________

just check out the anime episode of 114-115. www.youtube.com skim it through
wasn't it something along the lines of some 'new technology of the grand line'[br]Posted on: September 27, 2006, 05:23:41 AM_________________________________________________

remember kalifa's fork/knife? soap soap fork? soap soap knife? lol it's much more complicated than just cutting/loading the fruit, i'm pretty sure

DesiSkull
September 27, 2006, 05:19 AM
kk here what was said in the anime
its a gun that ate the Inu Inu Fruit: Model Dachshund.
Its a new technique from the Grand Line.
Even objects can eat the Devil's Fruits!

beyond that where was no explaination. even ussop asked those question but wasnt answered. so its upto the Oda if he wants to explain it any further which i doubt that he ever will. its simple as that it ate the DF its Grand Line alomg many other things things. this shouldnt surprise anyone

hyper_megaman
September 27, 2006, 07:21 AM
how about pickling? like soaking the weapon/object in the fruit juice/fruit broth for extended periods of time until the fruit diffuses significantly into the object, giving it powers?

or smiting the fruit as part of the weapon during forging? mush it into paste and mix it with the metal, then forge the weapon

both are possible

bakashijinsan
September 30, 2006, 09:14 PM
all this talk about objects eating DF got my mind confused.

based on the randomness of the DF abilities within the fruit, does it imply that the DF consumed by Lasso and Funkfried were purely coincidental?

it feels like a waste if you fed a DF to an object and the sword turned rubber.

also, if a DF user dies, say for example buggy dies, does the bara bara no mi fruit become available again? well, perhaps. to have a cycle of curses much like in fruits basket. ooops! i just answered my question :D

Lohnt
September 30, 2006, 09:43 PM
Some fruits abilities are known, because we know a devil fruit encyclopedia exists. Thus you wouldn't fuse a weapons metal with a fruit that wasn't a zoan, simple.

bakashijinsan
September 30, 2006, 09:52 PM
really? there's a DF encyclopedia? was that mentioned in the manga?

EDIT: is there a link? or is it like the Red Cross Book of Neon Genesis Evangelion that's limited edition? sorry for bugging but this is the first that i've heard of the DF encyclopedia :oh

Lohnt
September 30, 2006, 11:12 PM
Kaku of CP9 reads a DF encyclopedia in the chapter Kalifa and he eat their respective DF. He comments "My encyclopedia doesn't have these fruit listed." So they were "new" fruit that hadn't been identified yet, and so it was a surprise.

During the rest of the CP9 conversation, Blueno and Lucci reveal that WG scientists have tested and probed devil fruit because they get incredibly lonely all those nights in the labs, and there are fruit that look like bagels blah blah blah bleh bleh blah, just go read the chapter.

bax
October 01, 2006, 12:32 AM
really? there's a DF encyclopedia? was that mentioned in the manga?

It's only stated by Kaku on EL. It seems like the WG has gone a long way to catalogue all known DF powers. Putting aside where is the origin of the DF, people doesn't knows the power of a DF until they ate it and use the new power. So, it's hard to tell whch is which. Luckily, DF shapes are rather unique to one another. So,by making a catalogue, they can know which DF gives which power, or at least similar if not the same.

bakashijinsan
October 01, 2006, 04:34 AM
my bad. wasn't paying attention to the dialogues. missed that encyclopdia thingie. :P

so there is a list of known DF's. but i thought it was impossible for two persons to gain the very same power. with that statement, there aren't really identical DF's. i dunno where i got this. prolly in this thread.

bax
October 01, 2006, 11:27 AM
so there is a list of known DF's. but i thought it was impossible for two persons to gain the very same power. with that statement, there aren't really identical DF's. i dunno where i got this. prolly in this thread.

So to say, there's no two identical DF powers. Just similar like Zoan Type:Cat - one would be a leopard and one would be a tiger. Just like that. So, only known DF powers are listed in that book and by all means, that book is incomplete.

And there's many theories about the origin of the DF. The one I like most is "One Piece". That theory states that One Piece is actually a tree in Raftel where all the DF come from. So, Roger reached Raftel, found the tree and take all the DF, then jettison them into the sea. Since Grand Line's current flows inside the Grand Line (except near the entrance and the exit), the only place where you could found a DF is in Grand Line, unless someone brought them outside the Grand Line. But, I don't recall where I read this theory though.

bakashijinsan
October 02, 2006, 02:26 AM
ok i get it! so with those information, it means to say all of the DF's not yet eaten but are already in the possession of a person is not yet classified.

so that's where the random thing about getting what-not power comes in. :D

alekosss_kenpachi
October 03, 2006, 01:42 PM
So to say, there's no two identical DF powers. Just similar like Zoan Type:Cat - one would be a leopard and one would be a tiger. Just like that. So, only known DF powers are listed in that book and by all means, that book is incomplete.

And there's many theories about the origin of the DF. The one I like most is "One Piece". That theory states that One Piece is actually a tree in Raftel where all the DF come from. So, Roger reached Raftel, found the tree and take all the DF, then jettison them into the sea. Since Grand Line's current flows inside the Grand Line (except near the entrance and the exit), the only place where you could found a DF is in Grand Line, unless someone brought them outside the Grand Line. But, I don't recall where I read this theory though.
This means that there may be identical fruits.Like a tree with gomu gomu fruits.It is just that Roger just took only one of each fruit!!

bax
October 03, 2006, 02:11 PM
This means that there may be identical fruits.Like a tree with gomu gomu fruits.It is just that Roger just took only one of each fruit!!

I think you misunderstood me. In that theory, there is only one tree that produced all types of DF. In short, all the DF came from the same tree..

alekosss_kenpachi
October 03, 2006, 03:13 PM
I think you misunderstood me. In that theory, there is only one tree that produced all types of DF. In short, all the DF came from the same tree..
However this does not prevent the one single tree to produce more than one of the same fruit right?I really liked this idea about the origin of the DF.

Lohnt
October 03, 2006, 05:28 PM
Why did the "two identical fruit" conversation even come up?

Look it's simple:
- The WG had gathered a whole bunch of DF up and gave it to their scientists.
- The scientists decided to feed the DF to captains/test subjects/marines etc to see the effect.
- The effect was recorded.

It doesn't matter if there are two identical fruit or not, the point is to cataloque them. Now one popular theory amongst the masses is that once a DF user dies, the fruit can regrow from their corpse.. so eventually down the line you will have listed DF appear, and if someone has the encyclopedia, s/he can look it up.

Dark Zeza
October 03, 2006, 07:26 PM
I have a question. There was one time when Peru (Alabasta strongest soldier) fighting with Robin (i cant remember the chapter), and he was saying like "There are only 5 devil fruits like mine in this world." Does he mean 5 kinds of bird devil fruits or bird-hawk style fruit? :darn

bakashijinsan
October 03, 2006, 08:52 PM
perhaps there are only 5 DF's that have been recorded to have similar powers like pell. sooner or later, there may be a new DF which would be counted the 6th.

Dark Zeza
October 03, 2006, 09:06 PM
So you're saying, there might be someone who have same ability like Luffy?

manu
October 04, 2006, 12:27 AM
The way i remember the chapter was that there is only 5 flying Devil Fruit powers. The direction the manga is going I doubt Luffy's gang will fight anyone similar to who they already fought because it would't be original. Plus if you want an example of a DF similar to Luffy's do you remember the spring guy. He had bouncyness in his legs and I'm sure if Luffy wanted to he could emulate that power.

Dark Zeza
October 04, 2006, 12:32 AM
The way i remember the chapter was that there is only 5 flying Devil Fruit powers.

Yeh, so it is 5 flying Devil Fruits. I thought he mean the same type as his hawk fruit.

Hermie
October 04, 2006, 03:33 AM
Yup, he said it was one of the 5 bird types. When a zoan user announces his power, they sometime say "dog type: wolf etc". It means that there are several variations of that type, just like some animal families have lots of different species under the same group. It could be that there's a "cat tree" which grows all the different cat types, for example...

alekosss_kenpachi
October 04, 2006, 09:02 AM
Yup, he said it was one of the 5 bird types. When a zoan user announces his power, they sometime say "dog type: wolf etc". It means that there are several variations of that type, just like some animal families have lots of different species under the same group. It could be that there's a "cat tree" which grows all the different cat types, for example...
Right i had a similar thought.The best tree,the one with the elemental DF!

bakashijinsan
October 04, 2006, 12:33 PM
yeah! logia type are really the strongest. imagine, you are controlling an element or rather you are the element. it's like you are a god.

bax
October 04, 2006, 12:46 PM
But remember, Crocodile once told that the power of the DF is proportional to the effort of the user to tarin with it and become strong. So, yeah, in default, Logia type is powerful and the Superman type is weaker than it. But look at Luffy, because of constant fighting, he came too powerful for a Superman type user...

Dark Zeza
October 04, 2006, 01:04 PM
I think Logia users born to be good with Defense power, ordinary people cant attack them if they train enough, they are god. Lucci said Zoan type will max out the attack upon training, physically. And I think Paramicia will be powerful if the users know the potential and use alot of technique (who have ever think luffy will use doping technique). Ex. Even though Robin knew the weakness of Crocodile, she cant simply beat him. Luffy sure use alot of technique and experience (also brute strength). :)

OP_overlord
December 30, 2006, 10:52 PM
paramicas are the weakest of teh three
then zoan cuase they make teh peron stronger physicaly
and logai cause they can only be beaten by it natural enemy and you cannt hit them if they train that way

xr3b0rn5inx
January 31, 2007, 10:35 AM
But remember, Crocodile once told that the power of the DF is proportional to the effort of the user to tarin with it and become strong. So, yeah, in default, Logia type is powerful and the Superman type is weaker than it. But look at Luffy, because of constant fighting, he came too powerful for a Superman type user...

Logia might not be that powerfull actually,like u said Luffy did train hard to fight againts Crocodile but he would have lost without the help of water or his blood.

OP_overlord
January 31, 2007, 09:28 PM
yeah but other logia users are harder to take down and they dont have a easily accessably weakness like that no one in the world but luffy could beat eneru

Astray
September 02, 2007, 07:25 PM
I'm reviving this thread because I find it relevant and interesting. Also there are a lot of questions I want to answer.

I wonder, how do people know which fruit to eat? I mean, is it possible to know what exact abilities are provided by a perticular fruit? Or you learn this only after you've eaten it?

I believe that this question was already answered in this topic, but I'll go at it again.
There is a book on DF that exists. This how Sanji knew about the invisiblity fruit that he wanted so bad and how Black Beard knew about the darkness fruit. Now how people know what the fruits look like and how it correlates to what they do, I have no idea how that's done.

The Gear 2 is a bit more complicated than just copying the foot work done by CP9. Using his body he channels a lot of oxygen and blood into the folds created (They look like pumps/springs) to accelerate his blood flow to incredibly fast pace. Something that would be technically impossible without his rubber body being able to withstand the force of his blood rushing through his body. This quickened blood makes it easier for oxygen to reach his cells, and thus they can perform more efficeintly.

My theory on the steam is as a result of the sweat evaporating because of the heightened body temperature that he maintains while in Gear 2. Now based on this, we know the boiling temperature of water is 100 degrees celcius or 212 degree ferhenheit, but this is when water just starts to boil, Luffy's has sweat goes instantly to steam. This means he has a body temperature a couple degrees higher than the boiling point already. It's amazing that his body can even withstand that kind of heat without major side-effects. This is all supposing that my theory is true (it makes sense, kind of xD)

The speed is Soru and the leg kick is Rankyaku.

Gear 3 is a mystery at the moment...we know it strikes a powerful blow and he turns chibi...that's about all. We'll probably get an explaination about it when he uses it next time.

I'm not quite sure on this myself, but because Luffy's entire body is rubber, why not his bones as well? If he can pump air into them to make them bigger to cover a wider area, then it makes sense that bites his thumb and forces air into the bone and then spreads it around as he needs to use it.

Hmm... I wonder why Luffy got the rubber devil fruit when the elemental fruits are supposed to be stronger... maybe there's a rumble ball demon inside him that's really strong... RUBBERZILLA!!!

You're forgetting that rubber is basically immune to any physical attacks as long as they aren't caused by a piercing effect or cutting effect like a sword, however he is very weak against Logia (elemental) type DF users (except Enel). This is interesting because Black Beard is immune to most elemental attacks with his dark dark fruit, but he isn't immune to physical attacks. It seems like they are the exact opposite of each other. This could become important later on.

Its not about the DF eaters wanting powers. it the powers that match them.
alvida thinks she's beautiful. so the df makes her really beautiful.
smoker smokes a lot so DF gives him smoke power.
Enel think he god so DF gives god like PAWAA!!
Buggy is a clown. so he gets circus powers. (ever seen the magic trick of cutting a lovely assistant in pieces?)
Hina is probably a dominatrix. DF gives caging powers.
pell is the falconman
the other guy is a Jackalman. both are avatars of the guardians of arabasta who happen to be Falcon and Jackal as well.

but Chopper may have wanted to be the same as other deers. so his DF played a trick on him and made him a human. but in the end his intelligence gained as a man made him more powerful.

DF are here to give inimaginable powers to those who eat them. so to be as powerful as possible, the powers need to match their users.

... only one i can't figure out is luffy. why rubber..?

That's simple, what happens when you stretch rubber? It just goes back into its original form. It never gives up, just like Luffy never gives up.

There is one special scientist that figured a lot out the devil fruits, how they work, and even how to put them into inanimate objects. I forgot the name of this scientist, but he is definitely going to be important later on.

I have a question. There was one time when Peru (Alabasta strongest soldier) fighting with Robin (i cant remember the chapter), and he was saying like "There are only 5 devil fruits like mine in this world." Does he mean 5 kinds of bird devil fruits or bird-hawk style fruit? :darn

That was referring to the fact that there were only 5 flying type devil fruits. The ability to fly is probably incredibly useful because that allows you to stop yourself from falling into a pool of water.

Impel Down
September 02, 2007, 07:59 PM
They've said a few times that there's a catalog/book of Devil Fruits. In the beginning, the VERY beginning, Lucky Roux showed them the Gomu Gomu no mi in a little book, Spandam said that Kaku and Kalipha's fruits weren't "in the catalog", and BB and Sanji both said they'd read it.

With Gear 3, it's a lot more basic than Gear 2. He inflates his bones, making a huge air bubble that he moves, stretching that limb out. Although, he has to let the air out, deflating the bones, making him chibi.

Astray
September 02, 2007, 09:21 PM
With Gear 3, it's a lot more basic than Gear 2. He inflates his bones, making a huge air bubble that he moves, stretching that limb out. Although, he has to let the air out, deflating the bones, making him chibi.

Ha, my guess was right (I wasn't actually sure about that one)

Impel Down
September 03, 2007, 09:29 AM
Well, he explains it in the manga, so it's kinda easy to figure out. I find it's better to find out how that works than Gear 2nd, since I have no idea what's going on there.

Imitorar
September 03, 2007, 10:39 AM
Gear 2nd raises Luffy's blood pressure, causing nutrients to flow to his muscles faster, making him more powerful. That's why he wore pants with pockets and put meat in them for Enies Lobby, so he could make up the nutrient loss after using Gear 2nd. Lucci explains that somewhere in volume 44, I believe. He says it's like doping, and that the blood flowing faster to Luffy's muscles makes him stronger. Oda-sensei wrote that much, and the fans assumed that fast-flowing blood make Luffy stronger because of the nutrients being carried to his muscles faster by the fast-flowing blood, because, well, it's obvious, that's the only way fast-flowing blood would make you stronger, really, and it fits with Luffy needing meat. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Either way, that's what Wikipedia says in Luffy's entry, and it makes sense, more so then any other explanation I've heard, so I go with that.

Impel Down
September 03, 2007, 12:01 PM
I got that it made the blood flow faster, but I just didn't get what that had to do with him being faster (soru, I get that. But why in Gear 2nd?), stronger, pink, and steaming. Thanks for explaining it for me.

Please, stay on topic guys.

Astray
September 03, 2007, 08:18 PM
I seriously hope that a mizu mizu fruit doesn't exist though. That person would easily become the most powerful person in the word. He just needs to drown everyone that uses a DF, and the other people wouldn't be able to hurt him because he's a Logia type (Although Black Beard has an insanely strange DF but doesn't have the power of keeping his body from being hurt).

Impel Down
September 04, 2007, 08:50 AM
A Mizu Mizu fruit would also be pretty stupid, although I've heard people suggest that Roger has some kind of Sea Fruit and WB had an Earth Fruit.

Astray
September 04, 2007, 05:37 PM
I don't think that Roger or White Beard had a DF, but I may be wrong. I mean why would you need a DF if you could shatter the clouds with a sword.

OP_overlord
September 05, 2007, 10:26 AM
who could have the light light fruit to combat BB

smellyCheese
September 05, 2007, 01:45 PM
what kind of powers would light light fruit do? maybe make BB chibi? or make him disappear completely? or make things glow?? (great at night clubs no?) - and of course he cannot be harmed...

Astray
September 06, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if there would be one because the ability of light would be pretty strong. It would probably make the user able to move at the speed of light.

Imitorar
September 06, 2007, 09:48 PM
who could have the light light fruit to combat BB

A Light Light Fruit would help with MORIA, not BLACKBEARD! People, please, understand this: Blackbeard's powers do NOT allow him to control darkness. They allow him to control black holes. He is not walking darkness, he's a walking black hole. If you shot light at him, he would just absorb it into himself and it would never be seen again. Darkness doesn't compress entire towns into woodchips, but high gravity does. It's obvious that the Dark Dark Fruit allows you to control black holes. However, the Shadow Shadow Fruit allows you to control shadows, so light WOULD be affective against that Devil Fruit. But the Shadow Shadow Fruit is used by MORIA, not Blackbeard. Please, understand this. This mistake annoys me so much.

I'm sure you can express yourself in a kinder way.

Astray
September 06, 2007, 10:39 PM
I understand that, but still contemplating the abilities of the light light fruit is still itneresting. They could either be insanely strong or not so much xD

Impel Down
September 09, 2007, 11:14 AM
I don't really understand how that would work, besides shining very strong light, which, to me, would not be very useful unless you're doing rescue or something. And against Moria, all it would do is move Doppelman to behind Moria.

Imitorar
September 09, 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't really understand how that would work, besides shining very strong light, which, to me, would not be very useful unless you're doing rescue or something. And against Moria, all it would do is move Doppelman to behind Moria.

Ever burnt a leaf by focusing sunlight through a magnifying glass? Light focusing could be useful for that. It could be used to create illusions, burn through things, improve vision... it's a very useful power, there are all sorts of things that could be done with it. And if you made light shine from all around the room, then there would be nowhere to cast a shadow, leaving Moria defenseless. That's like saying that the Mera Mera no Mi couldn't beat the Hie Hie no Mi because it would melt the ice and be extinguished. That's very illogical, and would be a stupid way to set up the powers. It's the same thing here. They're opposites, of course one would defeat the other and render it powerless.

Impel Down
September 11, 2007, 03:08 PM
Shadows and light aren't really opposites. Technically, darkness and light should be opposites, but BB really has nothing to do with true darkness, more, he focuses on...nothing. He controls Nothing.

And if a Kira Kira no Mi (I think that's light) could burn things, then wouldn't that be like the Mera Mera no mi?

Imitorar
September 11, 2007, 04:11 PM
Blackbeard is a Black Hole. He controls gravity, if anything. And a shadow is just something blocking out light. And the absence of light is darkness. Ergo, a shadow is darkness, which is the opposite of light. And it'd be a different sort of burning. Though you might be right that it wouldn't burn at all, it'd just produce flashes. If anything, that's more likely. But there's still alot you could do with that.

Impel Down
September 11, 2007, 08:01 PM
You make my head hurt in bad places...

But really, if the Kira Kira no mi were to be used against Moria, that would make his shadow move behind him, if you think about it. I guess that is kinda useful, since he'd be wide open.

Imitorar
September 11, 2007, 09:41 PM
Or again, you could make light shine from all around the room. Think about it, if you were standing in a room whose walls, floor, and ceiling were light-bulbs, would you cast a shadow? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't. It's the same thing. Just leave a giant ball of light at each surface and Moria can't cast any shadow, leaving him defenseless.

Oh, and sorry about your head...?

Dhomochevsky
September 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
I think that Blackbeard basically has the power of gravity. Gravity is caused by mass though so he can freely control his mass. If he wants to suck something in, he increases his mass as much as he can. When he wants to release something, he lowers his mass.
If he had the power of a real blackhole, he would have sucked the entire solar system and then some inside he already.

I never thought about a Kira Kira no Mi vs the Mera Mera no Mi. That brings up all sorts of weird ideas but all these physics problems are making me question what little I remember :s

Impel Down
September 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
IMO, someone with a Mera Mera no mi would fare better against someone with a Kira Kira no mi, assuming this non-existant DF isn't Logia. Focusing a beam of light at someone who
A) Is fire.
B) Can...attack
C) Could just blow out of the way

Imitorar
September 12, 2007, 01:19 PM
It probably WOULD be a Logia, though. And fights between two Logia users are always pretty interesting. So it'd be more then just shooting light and fire at each other. (Okay, so we've only seen two. At least, two that I can remember. But they were very good! They were Smoker vs. Ace and Blackbeard vs. Ace, by the way.) Blindness, burns, there are all sorts of things they could throw at each other.

Dhomochevsky
September 12, 2007, 05:16 PM
The problem I've been thinking about with Mera Mera no Mi vs Kira Kira no Mi is how could you hit something that moves at the speed of light? Another issue is that fire produces light so the Mera Mera no Mi might be able to do some of the same attacks as the Kira Kira no Mi...

Any fight that involves a Logia type is interesting (especially when Luffy is involved). I always wondered exactly how the Smoker vs Ace fight ended since they both seemed to survive with minor injuries. It seems to me that all the Logia types are pretty evenly matched against each other. I don't know if any would fare better against each other. For example, enough water can put out a fire but enough fire can evaporate water. I think a lot of it boils down to the person own fighting ability and determination.

Impel Down
September 12, 2007, 05:36 PM
Well, Smoke and Fire kind of go hand in hand, so I guess that's why their fight didn't do very much. Now, a fight with Logia users that are more diverse, like let's say Enel v. Crocodile, might be different. I don't know how, but it probably would be.

Dhomochevsky
September 12, 2007, 10:12 PM
Anything could happen in a fight like Crocodile vs Enel. I personal think Ace vs Aokiji would be one of the best Logia fights. Fire and ice are always thought of as opposites.

Impel Down
September 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
Yeah, I think that Ao Kiji v. Ace would be an awesome fight. Not entirely sure how it would work, though. Would both of their attacks damage the other, because fire melts ice and Ao Kiji's ice attacks would have water on them?

Imitorar
September 15, 2007, 08:26 PM
Enel would turn Crocodile into glass, probably. The heat would turn the sand into glass. Though Ace could do that too. And Crocodile could Enel in glass so he couldn't move. It would be awesome, but unlikely. Ah well, there's always dojinshi. And I am waiting for the day that Ace and Aokiji fight. It will come, one day. *smiles optimistically*

Impel Down
September 15, 2007, 08:35 PM
I don't even think Ao Kiji will ever fight again in the series, personally. Well, he probably will, but I can't think of any time or reason that he would.

Dhomochevsky
September 16, 2007, 08:04 PM
Aokiji will definitely fight again. Isn't he supposed to be one of the best marine fighters? It seems to me with his attitude though, someone will have to force him to fight. Luffy tried to him so I could see Ace goading Aokiji into a fight.

Can any Logia type truly kill each other though? If Ace got frozen (can he even get frozen?) he'd melt through the ice. If Aokiji was melted, I could see him re-freezing himself some way. For Enel vs Crocodile, if Crocodile absorbed enough moisture I don't think he'd turn to glass.

Impel Down
September 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
Ao Kiji could hurt Ace because there's a layer of water outside of ice, so both could wound the other.

And as to whether a Logia could truly kill the other: Blackbeard. Thread over, I win.

Dhomochevsky
September 17, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ao Kiji could hurt Ace because there's a layer of water outside of ice, so both could wound the other.
Sorry but I'm not really following your logic here. Where did this layer of water outside the ice come from? Water doesn't always put out fire; take a grease fire for instance.

Blackbeard I understand though but does that mean that Ace is dead? Also, doesn't the Yami Yami no Mi also have the power to nullify other devil fruit abilities? I'm pretty sure I remember reading something like that so I'm beginning to think that Blackbeard doesn't control gravity or is a blackhole. Instead, I believe he has the power of a vacuum or empty space (which is dark).

Imitorar
September 17, 2007, 10:42 PM
But that doesn't explain why objects don't go through him and in fact, hit him harder. Being a black hole and controlling gravity does. And that still explains his ability to nullify Devil Fruits. He can use gravity to stop the vibrations of the Devil Fruit inside the person. Though he says it's because the Dark Dark Fruit really does have the power of the Devil, but I think my explanation makes sense too. And ice would have a layer of water on the outside due to the fact that it'd be melting if it weren't below 32 degrees Fahrenheit and 0 degrees Celsius around the ice, which it probably isn't. Most places aren't that cold usually, even in One Piece, except for Drum Island.

Impel Down
September 18, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well, doesn't he absorb the attack, so it doesn't wound him, but he still takes the damage? I'm not totally sure, but I believe that's what he said. And Dhomo, no, I don't mean that Ace is dead, but, Yami Yami no mi is what I believe the only other Logia that can truly kill another Logia.

And thanks for explaining the ice-water thing, Imotar.

Paz42
September 19, 2007, 07:11 AM
i think the whole blackbeard thing was that he absorbs everything even the damage that is done to him hence why even though its a logia type he can still be hurt with physical damage.
i was just wondering they state that you cant eat more then one devil fruit or your body will be torn apart so what about if brooke had eaten his Yomi Yomi no mi and then eaten another one would he have been brought back to life with two seperate powers or is that just a dumb idea.

big_p
September 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
I would say it wouldn't matter because his body would have exploded so he would have no body to return to. then again, maybe he can inhabit bodies. or maybe he would just keep exploding each time if he could inhabit bodies. interesting question.

And if he could somehow pull that off then that would be awesome. and yet pointless, cause he can only die once right? so then the yomi yomi no mi is gone and he is left with just the other ability? i have no freakin clue. very interesting question

Impel Down
September 19, 2007, 07:06 PM
He wouldn't have a body to return to if his exploded, so his soul would wander around for eternity, and that would suck.

So no, I don't think you'd eat two DFs, even if one is the Yomi Yomi no mi.

Dhomochevsky
September 20, 2007, 03:42 AM
Isn't it all just rumours and heresay about eating two DFs? No one has tried eating two fruits yet, have they? It would be interesting to see what really happens when two fruits are eaten.

There is one thing that has been bothering me. Sanji said something along the lines that there is only one of each DF so how are fruits identified in the catalog?

Impel Down
September 20, 2007, 07:01 AM
I think there can only be one at one time, I believe I heard something like that.

And Blueno (or was it Lucci?) said that scientists figured out that you explode, and according to Jyabura, it's a legend that it will happen too, so some people have probably tried it.

Imitorar
September 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
Devil Fruits can be identified based on their "aura". I believe Blackbeard mentioned this in chapter 440. If you wanna be sure, you could wiki Devil Fruits, and they'll have the source for it there.

And the thing that's still just rumor is that if a Devil Fruit user gets NEAR another Devil Fruit, he'll explode. That is just a myth, but Dr. Vegapunk proved that you can't eat more then one Devil Fruit.

Impel Down
September 20, 2007, 05:52 PM
But he did also say that you explode if it happens, so yeah, it does make people explode.

Dhomochevsky
September 21, 2007, 08:53 PM
I read the wiki article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_fruit) and it says that your body destroys itself after eating two fruits. So maybe it's spontaneous combustion.

I also read through some of SBS (Shitsumon o Boshū Suru) here at Arlongpark.net (http://arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/45) and found Oda-sensei's response on how Devil Fruits are identified:

O: Well, I think I'll eventually get to explaining more about the Devil Fruit in the main story, but you see, there's a book of the Devil Fruit. It has info about all kinds of fruit names and abilities, but few of the fruit can actually be identified by their shape. In the case of the Gomu Gomu Fruit, there was a picture and everything, but for Kaku and Califa, they were talking about how they wouldn't know until they had finally eaten the fruit.

Impel Down
September 21, 2007, 09:31 PM
*smacks forehead* That's it! That's how they defeat Blackbeard! They force him into eating another DF! Sure, it's a risky plan, and it's hard to get DFs, but it would kill him, eventhough he's seemingly unkillable!

Willreaper
September 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
First off, eating two devil fruits will kill you because, as told in their name, each one contains a different devil (or deamon I prefer) that has its own special power and transfers it to the eater. So if you eat two different fruits the corresponding devils will fight for dominence, altimently killing the eater from the inside. They also do have ways of telling what power each devil fruit has, the marine scientist Dr. Vegapunk figured out methods of how tell before you eat the fruit. In the case of the CP9 they didn't have time to classify the fruit, so Kaku and the women just took stabs at what they would get. On a similar note, the rubber fruit that Luffy ate was classified and stolen from Dr. Vegapunk. The Dr. Vegapunk also figured out safe ways to get throught the calm belt, and how to get "items" like guns or swords to eat devil fruits, but it only seems to work with Zoan type fruits, and you end up with things like Lassoo (dog cannon) and Funkfreed (elephant sword).

Impel Down
September 23, 2007, 08:31 AM
Okay, the summaries are getting annoying. And the idea that the two devils inside you will fight and kill you was part of the myth, not the actual scientific reasoning.

Dhomochevsky
September 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
*smacks forehead* That's it! That's how they defeat Blackbeard! They force him into eating another DF! Sure, it's a risky plan, and it's hard to get DFs, but it would kill him, eventhough he's seemingly unkillable!

That's genius :D

I read in the SBS that the powers of the Devil Fruit are transferred after the first bite. Someone could slip a piece of DF into Blackbeard's food without him noticing and let the fireworks ensue.

Impel Down
September 24, 2007, 08:21 PM
That's the best solution to defeating BB that I can think of, aside from throwing Seastone into the black hole.

Imitorar
September 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah, because people are just rolling in Devil Fruits. They can get Devil Fruits so easily it's not worth batting an eyelash over to use a perfectly good Devil Fruit up on an assassination attempt.

Okay, sorry for being so snarky about that. It's a valid way of beating Blackbeard, and would probably work, but practically, it'll never happen. They just don't have Devil Fruits to spare on this sort of thing. And it would be a waste of one to use it this way anyway. Basically, it could work based on the laws of One Piece, but based on how the situation is, I don't think that it'll actually happen, despite it's being possible.

Willreaper
September 24, 2007, 11:09 PM
That, and he seems to be extremly smart so it probably wouldn't work to just try and trick him. He would see through something like that. I think the weakness to him is that he is solid unlike the other logia types. So Luffy will probably have to fight him eventually, and will try to overpower and beat him to a pulp like he does with everyone else. But first he will fail a couple of times to Teach, then find a sure way to win and just barely win.

Impel Down
September 25, 2007, 08:55 AM
He hasn't fought BB at all, really, but did challenge him once. I imagine their fight would be...epic, when they actually fight, not like a Luffy v. Croc Round I thing. Then, it would just be Luffy getting his ass kicked and Nami screaming.

kaizokumarcee
May 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
All about DEVIL FRUITS.
- how it works
- its origins
- predictions

why dont we all have a discussion about this.:)

There was some new revelations to the Devil Fruit from SBS 48.
And a few important hints too.
Thanks to ANBU4U for the thread.

All revel in the glory that is Arlong Park Forums. SBS Volume 48 is out!

Credits go to stephen (http://www.mangascreener.com/stephen/) for the SBS script.

Enjoy (http://www.arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/48)

Of Particular Interest:

D: Excuse me!! May I pose a serious question to the typically-vulgar SBS?? In Volume 46, Usopp said that the same power doesn't exist twice. But this doesn't make sense with what you said in the Volume 45 SBS... If the Gomu Gomu Fruit was in a book of fruits, then Luffy HAD to have eaten at least the SECOND known example of the fruit! Now, most beautiful and intelligent Ei-chan, explain it all! ✩ P.N. Takafi

O: Very sharp of you. But I'm cool. I haven't made any mistakes. As a hint, let me rephrase what Usopp is saying. "The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME." How's that? For more detail, you'll just have to wait for a certain professor to make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are... Eventually.

GOLD, PURE GOLD!

I myself have some predictions regarding Devil Fruits.

Maybe the Devil Fruits were the bodies of its former users. Maybe when a user dies, his body shrivels into a Devil Fruit.
Creepy huh?

Feel free to share your opinions and predictions.:)

Merged with existing thread.

Stop
May 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
All about DEVIL FRUITS.
- how it works
- its origins
- predictions

why dont we all have a discussion about this.:)

There was some new revelations to the Devil Fruit from SBS 48.
And a few important hints too.
Thanks to ANBU4U for the thread.

I myself have some predictions regarding Devil Fruits.

Maybe the Devil Fruits were the bodies of its former users. Maybe when a user dies, his body shrivels into a Devil Fruit.
Creepy huh?

Feel free to share your opinions and predictions.:)

Merged with existing thread.

Nah I just think once the df user dies the fruit grows again somewhere.

kaizokumarcee
May 24, 2008, 06:54 PM
Nah I just think once the df user dies the fruit grows again somewhere.

That'd be lame. Think "Oda".:s

gfire2
May 24, 2008, 07:55 PM
yes i agree with kaizokumarcee

the entire world government existed for 800 years and who noes how long before, the elemental fruits just happened to be found all at the same time? i believe not, but rather once the devil fruit user dies the soul/spirit gets turned into a fruit, kinda how brookes fruit worked

Sachsenhesse
June 06, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hm... when you can train the devilpowers inside of you... then maybe can control Chopper someday his monsterform? Would be awesome :D

ZeroChrome
June 23, 2008, 08:29 AM
sorry, bringing back old thread up.

That'd be lame. Think "Oda".:s

take a look at this (http://www.arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/48) at chapter 467, second part. The fruit actually will grow back after the user dies! But I wonder where they all found their fruits(other than Luffy. he got it from Shanks)? Do they magically floats on the sea? :XD

Akainu
June 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
they jsut grow somewhere I guess. since its fruits there have to be plants right? though it would be cool if its something that grows in the sea, that somehow doesn't go together with the weakness of the later ability users.

adding a fresh thought on that: we have seen 2 objects so far that have "eaten" a DF.
could a seastone "eat" one (most likely an animal DF)? and if what would be the outcome? a dead seastone? :s or a pure animal aka. as the devil of the DF? weird...:blink

kkck
June 23, 2008, 12:05 PM
Maybe when a devil fruit user dies a tree grows out of him and produces 1 fruit which somehow starts traveling until someone finds it. Im not saying that the fruit would grow legs and travel but I think it will do something like be carried away by the ocean or river until someone finds it.
The other posibility is that after the user dies the fruit grows again at another random place which would explain why fruits are really hard to find and the WG hasnt confiscated all of them.

hot_chips
July 02, 2008, 09:39 PM
Maybe when a devil fruit user dies a tree grows out of him and produces 1 fruit which somehow starts traveling until someone finds it. Im not saying that the fruit would grow legs and travel but I think it will do something like be carried away by the ocean or river until someone finds it.
The other posibility is that after the user dies the fruit grows again at another random place which would explain why fruits are really hard to find and the WG hasnt confiscated all of them.
What if there are Devil Fruit plantations at Raftel or an island near All blue and when the fruit are ripe they drop into the sea and get carried away by the different currents into all the different seas. Then the fruits would be rarely found because they are located in all OP seas. Maybe some have drifted into the Calm Belt? Because not many people sail through there anyway because it's infested with Sea Monsters.

MonkeyD.ODZ
July 02, 2008, 11:30 PM
Sanji say he has read the catologue of DF so he know what fruit make him to hide him self. But I think there aren't many people read it.

Umbra Wolf
July 03, 2008, 04:32 AM
Sanji say he has read the catologue of DF so he know what fruit make him to hide him self. But I think there aren't many people read it.
Well, Sanji was "just an ordinary cook" I don't know what's so special about him that nearly nobody else knows about this catalogue. I guess it's somehow connected to the underground and black market because this book won't be an official volume. As far as we know Shanks, BB and Sanji saw the catalogue at one time the first ones being high ranking respectively spiteful pirates it's clear how they came in contact with the book.
I can't guess about Sanji he doesn't seem to fit. Maybe he came in contact with it through Jeff.

Trafalgar Law
July 03, 2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/1/20/

Couldn't that book Jolly Roux is holding in the bottom of the page being one that's showing the devil fruits, since Shanks crew knew it was a Gomu Gomu Fruit.

Raysen_ht
July 03, 2008, 11:35 AM
I dont think it is the whole thing, maybe they just coppied a part of it, because there should be a description of the fruit, and all i see is a drawing... I guess the description could be on other pages though.... but i dont like that beeing the book , cause when i think of the book of DF i think of something much more professional than that!

Organizized
July 03, 2008, 01:17 PM
Did we ever get to see when Chopper found/ate his fruit? Because he was just a reindeer living in the mountains of Drum, and he found a fruit there.. I'd like to know how it ended up in the mountains of a winter island.

Razh
July 03, 2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/1/20/

Couldn't that book Jolly Roux is holding in the bottom of the page being one that's showing the devil fruits, since Shanks crew knew it was a Gomu Gomu Fruit.

I'd say he more likely drew it on the spot.

redhairSH
July 06, 2008, 09:06 PM
i cant remember, but i think that lucci said that if someone eats 2 devil fruits then they blow up, so does that mean that even a logia user would die? cause they can become their element? and if luffy exploded, maybe his body would just inflate?
[hr]
if law and buggy fought, who would win? cause buggy's fruit is kinda like the perfect defense against laws

Raysen_ht
July 06, 2008, 10:15 PM
@redhairSH

About the body exploding, imo what they meant is that if someone ate 2 DF they would die... they used more elaborated words to say it (something about the devils inside each fruit fighting each other, thus making the person explode), but what i think Oda meant was to end the " why Luffi (or anybody else) dont eat another fruit to increase his power" discussion... he was clearing this point (although he did it in a strange way :blink)

About the Law x Buggy
If Law replaced the part of Buggy body with a canon ball, it wouldnt matter if Buggy could become whole again, because the explosion would damage him really bad

sharingan_kakashi
July 06, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think it was in an SBS that Odachi answered that question. rule was one devil per body.

What ability do you guys like and want to see in Future OP?

Me personally, i want to see a wind user. a wind user would be untouchable. he can fly away or create typhoons and tornadoes.

Hawk Hawk fruit or tiger tiger fruit would be good as well.

JC123
July 06, 2008, 11:21 PM
Wind power user?

I believe Dragon is the closest to qualify so far.

Raysen_ht
July 06, 2008, 11:27 PM
id like to see a mind reader

sharingan_kakashi
July 07, 2008, 01:03 AM
what dragon was using was green or maybe that was just the anime. it certainly does look like wind.

mind reading would be useful in and out of combat. it would be like precognition if there are no rules like you have to be in contact with the person to read his mind. If the person is skilled enough he can counter any move and predict assasinations.

mdl112233
July 12, 2008, 03:46 AM
well we still havnt seen anyone actually find one. you just see a page where theres a guy that found one without even showing how and where he got it

Dice
July 12, 2008, 06:32 AM
Wouldn't a mind reading fruit be quite similar to Enel's mantra?

JC123
July 12, 2008, 08:08 AM
I had been thinking about a fortuneteller joining the crew as well. If it were to be a devil fruit user, I had imagined two possible devil fruits for this purpose: Yume Yume no Mi (the dream dream fruit) or Chouno Chouno no Mi [from chounouryouku] (the psi psi fruit).

For the former, the user could have abilities related to dreams, being a dreamseer (yumemi); seeing the future through dreams could be one possibility as well as communicating through (or perhaps even manipulating) dreams, which could have a variety of uses. For the latter, the user would have more access to general ESP abilities (precognition and telepathy). For either, I would think such a nakama would be skilled in unarmed combat, being able to predict the opponent's move and counter effortlessly using neijia

Tsukisama said this in the Search for SH's New Nakama thread. I put it hear since it applies to DFs as well.

With Precog, it would be just like Enel's mantra, but from what I can understand, you are either born with those abilities to hear other people or not, so it may be we don't see this ability except out of someone from Sky Island.

Tsukisama
July 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
Tsukisama said this in the Search for SH's New Nakama thread. I put it hear since it applies to DFs as well.

With Precog, it would be just like Enel's mantra, but from what I can understand, you are either born with those abilities to hear other people or not, so it may be we don't see this ability except out of someone from Sky Island.

Thanks for putting here too. I had considered doing it, but I thought it might be redundant to do so.

From my understanding of mantra, it is the power to hear the thoughts of others (mind-reading); so, precognition would not be covered by that. I believe that it was said during the Skypeia arc that all people could hear the inner voices of people (including themselves); so it may be that the statement applies to people from below Skypeia as well. Also, for the chouno chouno no mi I suggested, the telepathy being referenced not only referred to my mind-reading but also to communication through the mind as well.

kaizokumarcee
July 13, 2008, 09:32 AM
sorry, bringing back old thread up.

take a look at this (http://www.arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/48) at chapter 467, second part. The fruit actually will grow back after the user dies! But I wonder where they all found their fruits(other than Luffy. he got it from Shanks)? Do they magically floats on the sea? :XD

thanks for correcting me, but. I can't find the part where it said that the fruit actually "grows back".

actually, it's the same SBS that made me think that these fruits does not grow on trees.

i really want to hear more about what other people think about how these fruits work. damn i wish Vegapunk appears really soon.:darn

Tsukisama
July 13, 2008, 11:15 AM
thanks for correcting me, but. I can't find the part where it said that the fruit actually "grows back".

actually, it's the same SBS that made me think that these fruits does not grow on trees.

i really want to hear more about what other people think about how these fruits work. damn i wish Vegapunk appears really soon.:darn

I believe that he is talking about this:

D: Excuse me!! May I pose a serious question to the typically-vulgar SBS?? In Volume 46, Usopp said that the same power doesn't exist twice. But this doesn't make sense with what you said in the Volume 45 SBS... If the Gomu Gomu Fruit was in a book of fruits, then Luffy HAD to have eaten at least the SECOND known example of the fruit! Now, most beautiful and intelligent Ei-chan, explain it all! ✩ P.N. Takafi

O: Very sharp of you. But I'm cool. I haven't made any mistakes. As a hint, let me rephrase what Usopp is saying. "The same powers don't exist twice AT THE SAME TIME." How's that? For more detail, you'll just have to wait for a certain professor to make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are... Eventually.

From Oda's statement, it is implied that after the user dies the fruit will regenerate somehow. We probably won't get much of any answers until Vegepunk arrives, which can't come soon enough.

kaizokumarcee
July 13, 2008, 11:44 AM
I believe that he is talking about this:

From Oda's statement, it is implied that after the user dies the fruit will regenerate somehow. We probably won't get much of any answers until Vegepunk arrives, which can't come soon enough.

Sorry for being unclear.

What i wanted to say was that the SBS does not say anything about the fruit growing back from any tree, which i think the other guy was trying to tell me.

But thanks for posting it. :p

JC123
July 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
I could swear in an earlier SBS or somewhere in the main story, Oda has talked about the fact that the DF do grow on trees. But I digress because I don't remember it.

Umbra Wolf
July 14, 2008, 04:41 AM
I could swear in an earlier SBS or somewhere in the main story, Oda has talked about the fact that the DF do grow on trees. But I digress because I don't remember it.
The whole tree thing started in one of the Romance Dawn one-shots. In these stories the Gum fruit grew on a tree every one hundred years or so.
Besides it's logical that fruits grow on trees.;)

Fox666
July 14, 2008, 02:33 PM
About Dragon, wasn't he touching Smoker's weapon where the sea stone is??

Raysen_ht
July 14, 2008, 02:48 PM
the seastone was only on the tip of the weapon... so the way he touched it wouldnt be a problem, even if he is a fruit user (which we cant be sure of)
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/100/19/

sharingan_kakashi
August 05, 2008, 01:32 PM
I think Logia fruits are too overpowered because they are resistant to physical attacks. They do not strengthen the body like paramecia or zoan but they dont have to because they are immune to it and they can just rely on their ability unlike the other types where you need to strengthen physical attributes to get as much as you can out of your df.

With that said, if any of the Yonkous are Logia users. I will be disappointed.

OP ROX
August 05, 2008, 02:16 PM
I agree... we already know Shanks and White beard arnt Logia that leaves the other 2... i dont think there is alot more Logia... we seem to be running out of elements now :P

Akainu
August 05, 2008, 02:53 PM
oh there are some pretty elements that still need to be filled.
alone by going with the Wu Xing, dependant on which religion or something alike it is based on:
chinese: metal, wood, water, fire, earth
greek/hindu/etc. : air, water fire, earth, aether
medieval alchemy added sulphur, mercury and salt.

now even if we consider
sand= earth, there still could be a more solid "rock" form;
ice= water, but I could imagine normal water as well as steam as fruits (all the states of aggregation...)
and we've already sen fire, so there still is metal, wood, straw*cough* ;-) , air, aether (one of those two perhaps dragon?); even the sulphur seems interesting or sth. like tar...

there are so many options even for really good ideas (those wasted in the movies really are not)

monkey D luffy
August 05, 2008, 04:21 PM
@akainu since i dont see how metal can be logia the only possible fruit for it will be mr 1's fruit. i just cant see metal brakes to million pieces and fixes itself so maybe metal can get off the list. also you can add a gas (not smoke or air) and radiation logias

Stop
August 05, 2008, 04:47 PM
@akainu since i dont see how metal can be logia the only possible fruit for it will be mr 1's fruit. i just cant see metal brakes to million pieces and fixes itself so maybe metal can get off the list. also you can add a gas (not smoke or air) and radiation logias

There is mercury it's a metal in liquid state

Yans86
August 05, 2008, 04:52 PM
U don't really need physical attack to win Logia...I think that haki can do something...and Zoro is going to cut trough element one day or another...

Right now I can see another Strawhat who can easily defeat for example Crocodile....Nami with her Clima Sansetsukon...some rain,a thunder and he is done!

I think also that there will be some paramecia fruit that used in a certain wait can limit or avoid the Logia problem,like something psychic,or natural weakness......instead of that I think that Brooke is strong enough to defeat a Logia.....think about it.arrive the superoverpowered Logia guy.u can't touch me I'm to strong ,to fast eccc...if u see,all logia type wait the others to attack (stupid arrogant).....now,at the scene Brook Vs Logia....Music,logia guy go to sleep,he can put a seastone on him while sleeping and then cut him like he want...

Akainu
August 06, 2008, 02:57 AM

have you seen terminator? that's the sort of metal I'd imagine.
also this problem of imagination is imo due to the solid state of those elements despite them being logia...

also this aether/space thing gave me the impression it could be the inspiration for BB's DF so I had the idea it might be like there are 2 circles of 5 elements connected through light/darkness... we'll see in the next 500 chapters I guess.

monkey D luffy
August 06, 2008, 03:45 AM
have you seen terminator? that's the sort of metal I'd imagine.
also this problem of imagination is imo due to the solid state of those elements despite them being logia...

also this aether/space thing gave me the impression it could be the inspiration for BB's DF so I had the idea it might be like there are 2 circles of 5 elements connected through light/darkness... we'll see in the next 500 chapters I guess.

oh i thought of steel.

does anyone remember what mr 1 said to zoro before he fell down?
i think zoro next hard opponent will be a diamond diamond fruit and only when zoro can beat him he will be able to start thinking of fighting mihawk again

sharingan_kakashi
August 09, 2008, 02:05 PM
speaking of logia. Can they harden their bodies and make them regular again at will?

what i am trying to say is lets say Crocodile takes a punch and that area punched will definitely dissolve. Is this process of dissolving at will or natural cause if it is natural then they basically have no shape.
Now, if it turns out that it is by will then there is a chance they can be defeated by a much faster opponent. Since if the user cannot react fast enough by pulvurizing his body to avoid the damage then his body will not dissolve and take a beating.

But if its both, then the only way they can be beat (that we know of at this point) is by their natural enemy or BB or seastones. which is lame.

Raysen_ht
August 09, 2008, 02:09 PM
Its not natturaly both... but it can be trained to react instinctyvly to damage...

I think Crocodile said that when he was fighting luffi on Alabasta... but i cant seem to find it though...

Akainu
August 09, 2008, 02:40 PM
smoker got hit by luffy's impact and so did ace (both logia btw.) http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/158/06/
thus I think they have to willingly do it or at least be prepared for it, knowing they will be hit and where.

sharingan_kakashi
August 09, 2008, 02:46 PM
i see. i completely forgot about that scene. Then that is clearly one weakness for logia fruit users. they can be caught off guard. it happened twice in the same chapter too. pages 6 and 9.
So a sharp shooter might be able to do it. Dont think ussop can because his attacks are too flambouyant. Perhaps the sharpshooter on BBs team can do it.

a sneak attack could potentially work. Highly doubtful on these superhumans but we can add that as a weakness.

Deathgod75
August 10, 2008, 07:53 PM
i see. i completely forgot about that scene. Then that is clearly one weakness for logia fruit users. they can be caught off guard. it happened twice in the same chapter too. pages 6 and 9.
So a sharp shooter might be able to do it. Dont think ussop can because his attacks are too flambouyant. Perhaps the sharpshooter on BBs team can do it.

a sneak attack could potentially work. Highly doubtful on these superhumans but we can add that as a weakness.

well that's a weakness 4 less experienced users since Crocodile stated that after training his element extensively he doesnt have to think bout it. he'll just turn to sand without even having to think bout it.

bittman
August 10, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm sure it's something that's easily turned on and off for someone who has skill with their logias. Though I could reference Enel, who was never physically hit (besides Luffy), he had his mantra so it is not a perfect example since he would always know an attack was coming. Ace, on the other hand, was hit by many bullets at a frightening speed by Blackbeard's sharpshooter so I would assume they simply have to decide to activate this ability.

That said, Smoker got hit almost a decade ago, so it could have just been an accident for the sake of comedy.

monkey d scar
August 11, 2008, 09:44 AM
Okay, here is my question about Logia :

we all know that a Logia user can manipulate the element he is made of(for exemple, croco uses his own sand to create sandstorms), but can he manipulate the element surrounding him to launch his attacks (same exemple with Croco, can he use the sand of Alabasta to create his sandstorms) ?

Personally, I'm pretty sure all the logia users we've seen so far don't manipulate elements apart from the one they are made of.

ZeroChrome
August 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
Crocodile did use the sand around him to create quicksand (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/178/06/) around Luffy. so basically Logia users can also manipulate their corresponding elements around them. Other Logia users (Ace, BB, Enel) didn't because there're no source of their elements around them. that's why Alabasta is a perfect battlefield for Crocodile

Akainu
August 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
Aokiji freezing the ocean as example?
might be slightly different but I think it's a good starting point.
to some extent they may use that element, depending on how well trained they are, but not in a sense like using all the sand there was etc.

monkey d scar
August 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
Crocodile did use the sand around him to create quicksand (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/178/06/) around Luffy. so basically Logia users can also manipulate their corresponding elements around them

No, here Crocodile used the sand around him indirectly, he explained it in the next page : "the sand is beeing dragged into an underground river. I can detect that with my powers". Basically, he detects the underground river, cut through the sand above the river with his "spada" (you can see it in page 5 of the same chapter), then the sand is beeing dragged by the river. In this whole process, he never manipulated the sand of the desert directly, that was just a trick to create quicksand.

Aokiji freezing the ocean as example?
might be slightly different but I think it's a good starting point.

You're right it's different :amuse Aokiji froze the ocean like he froze Luffy or Robin, that's not a evidence that he can manipulate his element around him

having the control about a whole element would overpower them too much.

Yeah, that's exactly why i'm asking the question :amuse A logia user who can manipulate the element around him would be too overpowered, i agree.

sharingan_kakashi
August 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
As unfair as it may seem i believe they can manipulate their element aside from their body.
One example is Eneru's Maxim. Towards the end the ship created massive storm clouds which Eneru harnessed to create large columns of Lightning.

Another is Aokiji, he can manipulate the liquid "ice" and convert it to solid, he alsi did this to Luffy and Robin.

But, i do not believe they can reform their body using the same element from another source. Say, Kizaru, reforming his body using the Sun.

bittman
August 11, 2008, 07:04 PM
Haha, liquid ice. In short, saying Aokoji can manipulate his element by freezing an ocean isn't great evidence because he also froze human bodies, clothing and blades of grass. "Manipulation", in the sense of what I class as manipulation, would occur if Aokoji had an iceberg in front of him and turned it into a ship or something.

I'm on the fence with manipulation of elements. As said, Aokoji, Ace and Blackbeard didn't exactly have their element on hand, and it appears as though Logia's are made of an infinite supply of their own element. If Enel can shoot out lightning every 3 seconds and still maintain his physical form, he is simply manipulating his own endless supply of electricity. Crocodile may have been the same as the sandstorms and quicksand attacks were merely excessive outputs of his own sand.

For now I'll sit with: They only manipulate the elements produced from their own bodies.

sharingan_kakashi
August 11, 2008, 07:54 PM
I understand what you are saying, And i know there is no great evidence saying they can or cannot control their element from a natural source.
But we can argue that Aokiji would be unbeatable if he fought in winter land, and Crocodile in a desert (well, we know he was defeated already)

paradoxe
August 12, 2008, 10:41 AM
A logia user who can manipulate the element around him would be too overpowered, i agree.

Logia users are able to manipulate their elements. Even if it was around them and not part of them.

Its part of their power.

Whats so overpowered about that? =\

DutchPhoenix
August 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
i would pick

time time no mi
paramecia

being able to slow down time (you stay normal, so it seems you are just incredible fast)
being able to revert time or increase time ( time warp, make people older/younger)

paradoxe
August 12, 2008, 12:01 PM
make people older/younger

Bonney already has that fruit.

sharingan_kakashi
August 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
SHe has that fruit, but i dont think it can control time it self. The only thing she does is make people younger or older. I think she can also make herself skinnier since she eats a ton but dont get fat.

@paradoxe. Its over powered because they can make their own terrain, which they can use in what ever ways they want. Say Aokiji can freeze the sea under WB's ship lift it up and drop it from 1 km up.

Akainu
August 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
@dutchphoenix: sry, but it's the wrong thread, but there is one somewhere near about that topic (choosing DF)

@paradoxe: have we got proof that logia can control "their" element? because as far as we already have discussed it here we have found no evidence. maybe that's because the only logia who resided in a country where his element dominates the landscape was croc, but if he could control sand no matter if it's himself or desert he ahsn't shown that ability.

monkey d scar
August 12, 2008, 01:44 PM
As unfair as it may seem i believe they can manipulate their element aside from their body.
One example is Eneru's Maxim. Towards the end the ship created massive storm clouds which Eneru harnessed to create large columns of Lightning.

Nah, it's merely another trick from another logia User :p the clouds are working here as an amplifier to eneru's own lightning, he must send his lightning to the clouds in order to obtain the large columns of lightning, like Croc with the quicksand he's doing here an indirect manipulation.

Logia users are able to manipulate their elements. Even if it was around them and not part of them.

Its part of their power.

then give us proofs please, like i said before all the logia users we've seen so far don't manipulate an element aside from the one they are made of.

Whats so overpowered about that? =\

because in order to do attacks, they can gather a larger amount of their element. Think of Kizaru for exemple (who is supposed to be a light logia), do you imagine how powerful his attacks would be if not only he can use his own element but also the one surrounding him ?

Raysen_ht
August 12, 2008, 02:10 PM
the only thing i can find on this "logia" discussion is this

D: Question, Odacchi! Ace ate the Mera Mera Fruit so he can...

(1) "Can turn his body into flame"?

(2) "Can shoot flame from his body", which one is it?

O: The answer is (1). But his secret move "Hiken" (Fire Punch) is a skill where he raises his "firepower" and turns his fist into a huge flame, so it ends up looking more like (2).

SBS 25 chapter 179 page 66 http://groups.msn.com/OnePieceSBS/sbs25.msnw

So, Ace couldnt shoot his fire from his body... he can only increase his power to make it look like he is doing that...
I think this means that Logia users can only control the power that is (somehow) connected to their own bodies... Like Aokiji had to "touch" Luffi/ocean to freeze him/it... Eneru had to increase his arm like a lightning to the cloud, in order to activate that huge "island destroyer" power...

paradoxe
August 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
because in order to do attacks, they can gather a larger amount of their element. Think of Kizaru for exemple (who is supposed to be a light logia), do you imagine how powerful his attacks would be if not only he can use his own element but also the one surrounding him ?

Kizaru is a special case I think.
He would be truly unbeatable if he can even harness the light from the sun and turn it into energy.

However, Crocodile was able to create sandstorms from the sand in Arabasta. It wasn't from his own body..you think there'd be enough sand within his own body to keep assaulting a town with sandstorms for 20 years? No..that sand came from the desert. The whole REASON he made Arabasta his base was because it was a desert country and he knew the sand within Arabasta could amplify his powers.

kkck
August 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
In the last couple of chapters we learned that there is another model or type of zoan called "ancient type". Those seem awesome and could be among the strongest zoan fruits considering they could have both insane power and speed.
But what if there ar more types of zoans, like for example a mystic zoan? This could include zoan fruits that allow you to transform into dragons, ogers, unicorns, or any other mithological creature plus give the user abilities a normal zoan would not have such as firebreathing and maybe floating. This would be quite a development for the new world, and we know for fact that unusual creatures that could be mythological do exist in one piece world (dragons or oz).

sharingan_kakashi
August 15, 2008, 11:21 PM
ooooh!!!111 i would love to see a dragon zoan. Either the flying dragon or the Chinese land dragon. Firebreathing? hehe i dont know man. might be too overpowered

Sabertooth cat or any extict predator type animal would be a good sight to see.

kkck
August 16, 2008, 01:34 AM
Yes there are, ryuma is a caracter oda brought from an older manga he wrote and in that manga, he killed a dragon.
Here is the link, enjoy:
http://www.onemanga.com/Wanted_Oda_Eiichiro_Tanpenshu/4/01/
Maybe in the current times of the manga there are no dragons, but at the very least they existed.

sharingan_kakashi
August 16, 2008, 01:49 PM
how could i forget about that dragon. well done remembering that prequel. That certainly improves the chances of a dragon zoan. Or maybe Dragon (Luffy's dad) already has that fruit :D

BlackHair
August 16, 2008, 11:35 PM
I also think logia user can "change" or/and "use" the environment to their favour. Thinking about crocodile he was able to create a sandstorm. Well lets say it was produced out of his body, but then again how did he regenerate his own body after losing that much sand? He must have used the sand of the environment for his attack or to regenerate himself. The humans self regenration isn't that fast. btw he could also turn the environment into sand (= his favour).

Kizaru is a special case I think.
He would be truly unbeatable if he can even harness the light from the sun and turn it into energy.

Yeah' it is certainly overpowered, like (mostly) all logia user, but I do think it could be possible. Kizaru could turn the light of the sun into a giant laser or sth. It could take some time, but he would be able to erase a whole city/country/small island, depending on the size. If we compare it with Enels giant w.e energy ball, I do think it could be possible, he is an "Admiral" after all. But it have to take a certain time to charge the attack, not like he could use the sun light every sec. That would be truly overpowered.

About Dragon, he have to be strong, imo some1 like him can only have a logia fruit or nothing. But not a zoan or paramecia. I'm pretty sure in his case his name has nothing to do with his DF ability or are u saying he had his DF before his own name?
Note: I'm talking about Name not Title!

Deathgod75
August 17, 2008, 12:07 AM
I also think logia user can "change" or/and "use" the environment to their favour. Thinking about crocodile he was able to create a sandstorm. Well lets say it was produced out of his body, but then again how did he regenerate his own body after losing that much sand? He must have used the sand of the environment for his attack or to regenerate himself. The humans self regenration isn't that fast. btw he could also turn the environment into sand (= his favour).

Yeah' it is certainly overpowered, like (mostly) all logia user, but I do think it could be possible. Kizaru could turn the light of the sun into a giant laser or sth. It could take some time, but he would be able to erase a whole city/country/small island, depending on the size. If we compare it with Enels giant w.e energy ball, I do think it could be possible, he is an "Admiral" after all. But it have to take a certain time to charge the attack, not like he could use the sun light every sec. That would be truly overpowered.

About Dragon, he have to be strong, imo some1 like him can only have a logia fruit or nothing. But not a zoan or paramecia. I'm pretty sure in his case his name has nothing to do with his DF ability or are u saying he had his DF before his own name?
Note: I'm talking about Name not Title!

yeah i actually wanna c Dragon with the wind wind logia fruit. cause of all the logia's this is the one that i cant find a weakness 4. and thats what i seemed he possesed back in loguetown

paradoxe
August 17, 2008, 01:37 AM
Maybe Monkey D Dragon has a Storm Storm fruit?

That would explain the lightening bolts and rain..

Paz42
September 08, 2008, 03:50 PM
OK well i know there are alot of theory's out there about where the devil fruits come from and how people know what the effect of various fruits are and what abilities they grant and i just came up with this it may seem like a stupid idea but it kinda makes sense to me

Originaly i would like to think that all the devil fruits came from one island or various islands around the one piece world and where found by various people and eaten and they gained the what ever power said DF gave. Now my real theory kicks in when said person dies.

Lets face it the OP world is mostly water so its safe to say it has always been a major form of travel around the world and that these people that ate the devil fruits where very likely to have died at sea and as we know DF users in water are hammers and are bound to sink.

Now another point is that seastone and the sea itself weakens DF users and i know this is mostly old ground but bare with me. now maybe not seastone but perhaps the effects of the sea itself would warp the body of the user back into the devil fruit or into a new version of it so that the fruit would get swept up in a current and whisked off to various islands and other such areas to be found again by a new generation and over the generations people have decided to keep records of these fruits so future generations know what to look for.

I know its a bit of stretch but i thought it was a neat little idea about DF's being able to carry on using the person who eats it as like a transportation method to get to new places in the world what does every one think?

MrTeatime
September 08, 2008, 05:32 PM
Lets face it the OP world is mostly water so its safe to say it has always been a major form of travel around the world and that these people that ate the devil fruits where very likely to have died at sea and as we know DF users in water are hammers and are bound to sink.

Why? They wouldnt have died any more often than non-df people.

In the age of wind-power ships; if you fell into the sea, you most likely did so in a storm/strong gale etc.
And under those circumstances, you were royally screwed in any case. Actually most sailors did not know how to swim.

Paz42
September 09, 2008, 06:28 PM
In the age of wind-power ships; if you fell into the sea, you most likely did so in a storm/strong gale etc.
And under those circumstances, you were royally screwed in any case. Actually most sailors did not know how to swim.

im not saying that just people with df would die from falling into to the sea im just saying its a very high chance and even if some one was to say die in a battle onboard a ship then i would think burial at sea would be a more likely option then keeping the body on board for who knows when the crew would come across and island to bury them

RichardMNixon
November 17, 2008, 12:10 PM
This stems from a discussion with Razh about whether or not Kuma's "Knock you a week's travel over there" power could be resisted.

The question is if the power of a DF is a function only of the DF itself or if it is related to the user's own strength/will in some way. Take Mr. 5 for example, he had the bomb fruit, yet his bombs were nothing compared to Ursa Shock. They blew the crap out of ordinary people, but were next to useless against Luffy (it was a nice warmup for his fight with Zoro).

Were Mr. 5's explosions ineffective against Luffy because the Bomu Bomu no Mi is weak or because Mr. 5 is weak? That is the question. I would argue that in the latter case, a stronger character like Whitebeard could be hit with Kuma's paw and only be pushed back a couple feet ready to continue the fight.

Certainly some DF's are weaker than others, the difference between Kilo Kilo and Pika Pika no Mi is night and day, but I think the power of any given fruit is on some level a function of the user.

Any thoughts?

Fox666
November 19, 2008, 01:39 AM
That is the question. I would argue that in the latter case, a stronger character like Whitebeard could be hit with Kuma's paw and only be pushed back a couple feet ready to continue the fight.Paw paw fruit repel at speed of light, I think it doesn't matter the mass or whatever of the object.

RichardMNixon
November 20, 2008, 12:19 AM
So you think the repelling ability would be just as effective if Spandam had the fruit?

Fox666
November 20, 2008, 12:34 AM
Yes. Spandam wouldn't create air bullets or use a Ursa Shoch, but he would send anything he touch flying at speed of light... still, needing to touch is something that depends a lot of the user. Spandam wouldn't block anything because he is slow, and if you can't cut someone else neck with a sword or even a knife, if you need to touch someone wouldn't be of much use...

Razh
November 20, 2008, 06:05 AM
So you think the repelling ability would be just as effective if Spandam had the fruit?

Repelling abillity itself would be the same. The effectiveness of the DF would be different. First of all, he's a lot smaller than Kuma, so he could cover a lot less space with his paw. And second, due to his personallity, who knows if he could even develop the abillity to push air. Repelling solid objects is probably a given thing. Kuma probably had to train a lot to be able to repel air or physical pain. Or to teleport himself around.
So, I think that repelling objects is always the same. We can't really know if it has anything to do with user's strenght. Maybe Spandam really couldn't throw people as far as Kuma does. The paws probably repel attacks with the same force. Maybe it works like Impact Dial. Absorbs the force of the attack (or an object) and returns it with the same force. Maybu Kuma has perfected the ability to the point that he's able to multiply the return force.

Also, when it comes to throwing people around. I think that he doesn't just throw people. He probably encases them in some kind of air bubble. Why else would there be a paw print on every landing place?

bittman
November 23, 2008, 10:50 PM
I think it's 100% about the strength of the user. If Luffy's Gears aren't proof enough for you, I could also go on about how combat experience and power are highly relevant to a DF's control (Kaku could make multiple forms of his Zoan whereas earlier Zoan's such as Pell could only make one).

But if I assume that two people of equal intelligence and knowledge of their fruits were to use them, but there were levels in physical and mental strength I imagine there will be differences. Of course, it's impossible to prove this.

In summary: I still rate experience over power, but you only live long and gain experience if you are strong. So in a way, it's a catch 22.

Ledoke
November 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
Hana Hana no Mi - Do You guys know how exactly does this fruit work? We've seen Robin multiplying her arms, legs, eyes, ears and I think Oda somewhere said that she could multiply her breasts, but what else can she make? Is it possible for her to multiply any body part or only those few we've already saw?

And about sea(sea stone) its said that it stops DF powers but for Luffy it looks like its only making him tired without influencing his fruit ability. Does it really work like that or did I miss something?

RobinotX
November 24, 2008, 09:24 AM
Yomi Yomi no Mi- Hell Hell Fruit.

It maked Brook a man who could have a second life.
But I think there is more. Maybe he can also revive other people. Or call things out of Hell?

Fox666
November 24, 2008, 01:47 PM
If Luffy can make his cloth stretch, maybe someday he will make someone else stretch? :o

But now thinking about it, Jabura's shoes also stretch...

RichardMNixon
November 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
And about sea(sea stone) its said that it stops DF powers but for Luffy it looks like its only making him tired without influencing his fruit ability. Does it really work like that or did I miss something?

Even when he was underwater in the Arlong arc other people could still stretch him. Seastone is able to disable logia dispersion though. Maybe it only affects more active abilities? Luffy is always rubber but logias aren't always intangible.

kikrox1
November 26, 2008, 02:30 PM
i think its possible to know before eating the fruit because black beard and sanji knew what fruit they wanted and knew what the power was before eating

Organizized
November 27, 2008, 02:14 PM
i think its possible to know before eating the fruit because black beard and sanji knew what fruit they wanted and knew what the power was before eating

Both Sanji and Blackbeard had seen the fruits in a book/encynclopedia of some sort where all the known devil fruits were listed, showing both appearance and the fruits' abilities. But yes, somehow it should possible since Vegapunk, who is behind basically all studies of the fruits, knew them all and made a book of it. We don't know for sure just how, but Oda-sensei has stated that "a certain professor will make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are" (in SBS 48).

Razh
November 28, 2008, 11:12 AM
Both Sanji and Blackbeard had seen the fruits in a book/encynclopedia of some sort where all the known devil fruits were listed, showing both appearance and the fruits' abilities. But yes, somehow it should possible since Vegapunk, who is behind basically all studies of the fruits, knew them all and made a book of it. We don't know for sure just how, but Oda-sensei has stated that "a certain professor will make his appearance in the story, and explain exactly what the Devil Fruits REALLY are" (in SBS 48).

I don't really think that Vegapunk is the only man who studied devil fruits. There were probably people who were interested in studying them before. A fact that there is a book on devil fruits shows that devil fruits somehow grow again after a certain period of time. And they have probably been studied for centuries now.
Vegapunk couldn't possibly have made that book on his own, unless he is 200-300 years old, or something.
And yeah, Vegapunk is basically behind all studies of the fruits now. He couldn't have done it without some basis for his work. And that basis is probably a work of scientists who lived before him.

Gecko Moria
December 07, 2008, 03:01 AM
Unless you research DF hardout like BB its a fluke what power you get. It would be great to get a logia which are basically all pwnage but it would be awful if u got stuck with a noob DF

Razh
December 16, 2008, 05:45 AM
I'm not sure about "running out" of logias. Just pick any element or substance and voila you have a logia. Sure, many of the "nice" or "cool" ones have been taken, like fire or lightning but there are tons that can be made still.

For example?

happy GIN smily
December 16, 2008, 05:57 AM
For example?

air, wind, rock, iron, fog, earth, lava, diamond, salt, paper, schocolate:p, glue, milk, clay...

RobinotX
December 16, 2008, 06:00 AM
Glass?
Mud?

2 examples, which could be Logia...

happy GIN smily
December 16, 2008, 06:07 AM
yeah good ones. what about pepper and grain?

Razh
December 16, 2008, 06:14 AM
air, wind, rock, iron, fog, earth, lava, diamond, salt, paper, schocolate:p, glue, milk, clay...

Glass?
Mud?

2 examples, which could be Logia...

Those are all nice. But some of them lack usability. Or ability to reform again.
What could diamond logia do? Be hard and control all other diamonds. Same would go for most of others.
Glass? You brake it and it's over.

FOG? lol

Air could be possible but not wind. Wind isn't an element.

Only ones that could be possible out of those are lava and clay.