PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Area no Kishi by Igano Hiroaki and Tsukiyama Kaya

Nismospek
September 14, 2007, 08:16 AM
http://thumbnails37.imagebam.com/14400/99d93a143999570.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/99d93a143999570) http://thumbnails33.imagebam.com/14400/10b72e143999573.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/10b72e143999573) http://thumbnails43.imagebam.com/14400/171d27143999581.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/171d27143999581) http://thumbnails21.imagebam.com/14400/6c22a3143999590.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/6c22a3143999590)

Area no Kishi (the Knight in the Area)
Written By: IGANO Hiroaki (http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=6216)
Art By: TSUKIYAMA Kaya (http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=7018)
Genre: Sports, Soccer
Serialized In: Weekly Shonen Magazine
Mangaupdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=12702)

Believing himself to be useless at football, Aizawa Kakeru opts to become the manager of his school's football team, while his brother Suguru is its ace, and is even good enough to represent Japan. However, Kakeru may be harbouring a strong talent within himself that only Suguru can see, and the two often get into arguments over Kakeru's denial of his skills. Things are made more complicated with the return of Nana, an old playmate of theirs, that likes Suguru and that Kakeru has a crush on.

By the Writer of Get Backers, Bloody Monday, and Kindaichi Case Files

SabiQ
September 16, 2007, 04:53 AM
know a site i can download the raws from ?

Nismospek
September 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
the guy who scans the weekly jump here scans the series. Im not sure how many of the raws he might have.
[hr]
the link can be found here http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17112

Ser3n
September 26, 2007, 12:33 PM
What's this manga about?

Nismospek
September 28, 2007, 04:04 PM
oh, its a soccer manga, but plot wise i have no idea. was hoping there was someone out there that could translate it.

SabiQ
October 03, 2007, 07:17 AM
i would do it...but i dun have any raws so cant do anyfing, if i can be bothered ill look for it but im busy with other projects atm

Ser3n
October 04, 2007, 06:21 AM
i would do it...but i dun have any raws so cant do anyfing, if i can be bothered ill look for it but im busy with other projects atm

As Nismospek says the raws can be found here http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17112

It'd be awesome if someone would translate it! =)

SabiQ
October 05, 2007, 07:29 PM
thats only the latest scans XD i cant find the older ones e.g. 1 - 10 XD if someone could link me up that would be great

naru_naru
April 01, 2008, 09:14 PM
chibisuke scans are recruiting for scanlating this series if you are interested visit: http://baka87.invisionzone.com/ - go to the recruitment section
just recall seeing an recruitment notice in their recent overdrive release

mathi36
April 05, 2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah, we really are looking for a translator for this series!!
If interested; just pm me. btw, here's the link to the translator request thread:
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28584

eni
November 30, 2008, 12:05 PM
*stickied*

Featured ongoing shounen manga of December :p

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 04, 2008, 12:14 PM
Dude, this series is so good.
So fucking dramatic, but so good. :scry

Hope to read more soon.

Koen
December 05, 2008, 06:18 AM
Great serie. I love soccer and sports manga. Dramatic story elements that made me feel so bad and sad at some moments

sadly scan releases are iregular

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 05, 2008, 11:12 AM
Great serie. I love soccer and sports manga. Dramatic story elements that made me feel so bad and sad at some moments

If you like Area no Kishi´s style, you should definitely try Mitsuru Adachi´s mangas. The guy is just a genius at writing dramatic stories and exciting games. ;)

Some of his masterpieces: Touch, H2, Cross Game, Rough, Katsu...

sadly scan releases are iregular

Yep. :darn Maaan, I wanna read more Area no Kishi. NOW.

mathi36
December 07, 2008, 07:08 AM
...for faster releases we'd need more translators!!

but I'm glad you all like the series^^.

eni
December 07, 2008, 10:27 AM
That's why we stickied this one. It needs more love (aka: translators >.>) :amuse

But yes, a wonderful series. Already started it a while ago and caught up now because it was raised in a few discussions and highly recommended by everyone who has read it. I can only step in line and second all the recommendations.

mathi36
December 07, 2008, 01:52 PM
the drawing style's great. Love it.
Chapter 16's nearly done btw.

Ge4ce
December 07, 2008, 03:02 PM
http://home.kpnplanet.nl/~w.krul3@kpnplanet.nl/preview_ch16.png

Hello thar. :P

And a boost in the proofing and quality checking would be cool. :amuse

Kouri-chan
December 08, 2008, 08:50 AM
Ooooo! featured! That makes me so excited!

Yeah, we need good proofreaders... I think we need PRs more than TLers >.>

It makes me so happy that AnK is getting recognition <3 tis awesome. we've got a loooong way to go though.

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 09, 2008, 12:28 PM
...for faster releases we'd need more translators!!

but I'm glad you all like the series^^.

Just to make things clear, I wasn´t complaining or anything...:p
I thank you guys very much for all your hard work and effort into scanlating this.
It´s just, ya know...good and old fan´s anxiety. ;)

Alexandrius
December 09, 2008, 12:50 PM
I've just read all the Soccer Mangas I could find that wasn't Shoujo, I did enjoy this and I do want more. But whats up with killing a cool character? Sports Mangas are supposed to be funny not dramatic xD.

Oh well.

eni
December 09, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hm, I find it refreshing. Most sports manga I've read are comedy, it gets boring after a while >.>

I remember that the Attak No.1 anime impressed me as child especially because of the drama (torturing training, serious problems, illness, death). That was very unusual for a 'children's cartoon' and in the end what made it outstanding.

Alexandrius
December 09, 2008, 01:00 PM
My problem with the dramatic ones are that it's alot easier to predict whats going to happen. But it is kind of refreshing to read something else. Though I do wish the scans would be further in. Fantastica is also kind of cool to read as a soccer manga, Whistle on the other hand reminds too much of Fantastica to be any good. I feel all sports mangas end up with the same thing. But mjeh.

Does anybody know if Whistle is completed or if the scanlators just decided to drop it?

eni
December 09, 2008, 01:06 PM
Does anybody know if Whistle is completed or if the scanlators just decided to drop it?
Whistle is complete with 24 volumes (or 15 collector's edition volumes) but the scanlation is at volume 19 since July which was the only release in 2008. So, missing 5 volumes to be complete scanlated and seems to be on hold by the groups since end of 2007.

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 09, 2008, 01:37 PM
I've just read all the Soccer Mangas I could find that wasn't Shoujo, I did enjoy this and I do want more. But whats up with killing a cool character? Sports Mangas are supposed to be funny not dramatic xD.

Oh well.

Uh, people die.
That´s pretty much it. It´s just the "slice of life" side of the sports genre coming into play.

Fantastica is also kind of cool to read as a soccer manga, Whistle on the other hand reminds too much of Fantastica to be any good. I feel all sports mangas end up with the same thing. But mjeh.

If you mean Fantasista, I don´t know what you´re talking about.
Whistle came out earlier, ya know. Just by a little, but still. :p

Also, Shou >>> Teppei as a main character.
I mean, come on. What´s so fun about a main character that´s a fantastic genius that gets scouted by an european team IN HIS FUCKING FIRTS HIGH SCHOOL MATCH??? That´s just bizarre, man. :blink

PS: Let alone all the crap people keep saying to him, like "drop your weak team and go to Europe already". :eyeroll (WAY TO ridicularize the other characters of the team, huh? :notrust)

Alexandrius
December 09, 2008, 02:46 PM
Uh, people die.
That´s pretty much it. It´s just the "slice of life" side of the sports genre coming into play.

If you mean Fantasista, I don´t know what you´re talking about.
Whistle came out earlier, ya know. Just by a little, but still. :p

Also, Shou >>> Teppei as a main character.
I mean, come on. What´s so fun about a main character that´s a fantastic genius that gets scouted by an european team IN HIS FUCKING FIRTS HIGH SCHOOL MATCH??? That´s just bizarre, man. :blink

PS: Let alone all the crap people keep saying to him, like "drop your weak team and go to Europe already". :eyeroll (WAY TO ridicularize the other characters of the team, huh? :notrust)

Fantastica/Fantasista it sounds incredibly stupid either way.

I could've sworn it was older than Whistle though, but whatever. Fantasista is cooler btw, Teppei > Shou. But thats just my opinion. But mjeh. I might change my mind after reading the last 15 volumes of Whistle! Though.

Kouri-chan
December 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
But whats up with killing a cool character? Sports Mangas are supposed to be funny not dramatic xD.

Lol, what about REAL? Besides, there is a lot of humour in Area no Kishi ^_~

am i the only one who's not even slightly in awe of Suguru...? <.< Even though I have to admit that I was, when i first read AnK...

Alexandrius
December 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
Lol, what about REAL? Besides, there is a lot of humour in Area no Kishi ^_~

am i the only one who's not even slightly in awe of Suguru...? <.< Even though I have to admit that I was, when i first read AnK...

Hah, Real is pretty damn good, but it starts off the right way. This one didn't start off with the OMG we're a serious Manga theme :3. But I'm not going to whine just yet, it seems interesting enough. I just want to read lots more of it at a time :3

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 10, 2008, 08:23 PM
Hah, Real is pretty damn good, but it starts off the right way. This one didn't start off with the OMG we're a serious Manga theme :3.

Well, none of Adachi´s sports mangas start all serious or shit, but they all have some tragic scenes. It´s just a style of doing things.
"Life can be unpredictable" and shit, ya know? ;)

PS: Yep, Real is fucking awesome. LOVE it.

mathi36
December 12, 2008, 08:58 AM
indeed, real''s great!
Finally a new chapter of Area no Kishi's out!!
Get it from our channel!

Kouri-chan
December 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
haha, I could rant about REAL, but this isn't really the place.. xD

so... whatja think of the new chapter? Cliffhanger? Hmmm... <(^-^)>

mathi36
December 25, 2008, 02:26 PM
17-18 out.
We need translators if you wanna see it released at least at the same pace as it's been till now!

fortune101
December 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
mathi36 thank u! really! Area no Kishi is awesome!
People may say whatever they want, but really! yesterday I started reading it and I just couldnt stop, read all 18 chapters in one go.
I really really hope u find a translator because this manga is worth it!
Again thx for ur hard work ur making lots of people happy! :D

koolguy
January 18, 2009, 12:42 AM
Hello, I was just searching the whole site to find some answer on how I can get a hold of this great piece of work, but haven't had any luck so far. I just hope that bumping this thread to the top would gain the recognition this series deserves, and I hope that the great people of chibisuke group can find their translator for this series.

mathi36
January 19, 2009, 04:52 PM
thx mate,
AnK really needs more recognition!

fxu
April 23, 2009, 02:21 AM
Time to bump this bitch up.

I read all 22 chapters yesterday and thought it was pretty good. I love soccer.

Still devastated that they killed off Suguru... I really hoped that him and his brother would make it to end and play in the world cup together, side-by-side... not that Suguruwould be WITH his brother spiritually.

I couldn't wait so I went and downloaded the raws for the next 4 volumes and looked through them... :P Even though I can't speak jack-shit of Japanese, I understood what happened and where it's going. I can't wait for the scans. Although it might be a while till it catches up.

Koen
April 24, 2009, 05:57 AM
Soccer(over here football :p) is my most favourite sport

and area no kishi is a great manga that I enjoy a lot. There's a pretty good story in it with some dramatic events. Sadly the scans are a bit slow released but hey no reason to not like it

I like the school club he's part in, now I don't know if new ones are released, but the last chapters with the beachsoccer was really good. I'd love to see how they'll work out the difficulties with it

Dark-san
April 29, 2009, 10:04 PM
Chapter 23 onwards is the real deal! Actually they are really the events that lead up to the showdown between Enoshima FC and SC. A hobby club on one hand lead by Coach Iwaki and the school only recognized team lead by Coach Kondou, who will come out tops in this match- up? A clash between technique football and physical style football, I should say. Thanks for your interest in this manga, guys. That it is appreciative enough to keep Chibisuke going. ^.^;

Be prepared for a steady stream of release in the next coming weeks.

Koen
April 30, 2009, 02:59 AM
Pretty good chapter with some high school football club background. I kinda like the idea behind the beach play because it's completely true. When playing on a some certain ground, the type of ground can restrict your play.

Anyway I definitely want to see why araki stopped playing football.

and off topic but definitely to mention: I'd really like to thank chibisuke for having picked out such a great project. Thanks a lot guys and I certainly expect and look forward to more ;)

justam
April 30, 2009, 07:43 AM
woah we got some serious appreciation for the project.

thanks guys.

Dark-san
May 05, 2009, 02:23 PM
Anyway I definitely want to see why araki stopped playing football.

You got your wish. Chapter 24 tells us just that! Incidentally the title of the chapter will give it all away, 'Misunderstanding'. Also Kakeru will met his arch nemesis from SC. The build up for the decisive match has just began to manifest!

Find out who the nemesis is and also why Kakeru is intimidated by him.

Koen
May 07, 2009, 04:29 PM
Another good chapter. I like how they slowly (read: yet entertaining and definitely not bring) how they set up this school clubs' match. Nice to know more about araki's history with suguru. He's definitely the player they can use. His skills are amazing :oh

Dark-san
May 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
SC or FC! Who you guess would make a better team? One that uses physical attributes and simple modern football? Or one that uses techniques? The newest chapter we have explains the technicalities of SC's tactics and how their overall strategy becomes a menace not only to FC but other teams as well.

What's their strategy again? Find it all out. =3

Koen
June 17, 2009, 05:57 PM
The game is getting better and better. 2-1 I really look forward to the next chapters, I think someone can't just watch anymore, n°10 it's must be itchying no?

Great way to score, being invisible is one of the striker's most dangerous weapons in games where defenders are closing everything well. This manga is awesome
[hr]
I want more, I want more :D Chibisuke is so awesome to do scans of this. This is definitely one of my most favorite, if not my most favorite, sports manga

What a great end pages. I have never had so many goosbumps in a manga. How Araki was introduced to get on the pitch, ready for the substitution. So awesome... I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming chapters

but I wonder where are the spectators (read: readers) to discuss this match

DeidaraGrimmjow
June 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
How would people compare this series to the masterpiece PoT?

Koen
June 19, 2009, 01:25 PM
How would people compare this series to the masterpiece PoT?

Not to be compared: if you read this one then you'll see the difference between a wsj sports manga and another magazine's sports manga

1. More realistic
2. More story, more than 70% of the first 31 chapters is spend to character building, story development, etc
[hr]
very great chapter... Araki's input is really great. I think he's really smart since he definitely know how to use his player's positions very good. I assume it was offside but he somehow took the ref's position in account

mathi36
June 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
yeah, he made sure the referee couldn't properly see the offside. I like the fact, that araki, a new introduced character's better at playing football than the actual hero of the story.

Koen
July 17, 2009, 11:34 AM
Caught up, I like this match a lot. 3-3 and a lot of suspension. In both teams they have great players. I like Oda a lot and I really hope he'll get an important role later on too. Araki is just amazing and it seems he understands the knight of the team. Looking forward to what is about to happen

Dark-san
July 18, 2009, 01:15 PM
Araki didn't invent that pass. People we need to give credit to the dead Suguru. Now he's dead, the readers are starting to forget about him. =( It was him and Kakeru that came out with that offside pass.

Oda? I don't really know about what important role that you are referring to and I am not spilling the beans yet. =\ For now the match, haven't ended yet and you know something might happen. =P

Koen
July 18, 2009, 05:36 PM
Well Oda seems to me like a solid CM/DM and iirc the team is lucky that they don't have a creative AM as an opponent or that would mean their death. Well I'd rather see him playing with araki, kakeru, etc...

Kouri-chan
July 19, 2009, 08:50 AM
yeah, he made sure the referee couldn't properly see the offside. I like the fact, that araki, a new introduced character's better at playing football than the actual hero of the story.
He wanted to make sure that the ref could see that Kakeru didn't touch the ball.
Clarified now that the chapters are out =D
The next chapter coming will be pretty amazing!

edit: also the manga will never make you forget Suguru EVER because Kakeru always goes NII CHAN, NII CHAN, niiiiiiii-chaaaaaaaaan~ etc XD

Koen
August 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
Enoshima High is born. I kinda expected this. Both teams have very good players as was pointed out by Iwaki. I really look forward to this new team. This mix can work out pretty awesome. Awesome team and someone in heaven will be very glad :)
[hr]
Come on, there has to be some opinions or discussions. Last chapter, hilarious comedy parts. I definitely liked when the two forwards were standing depressed. Anyway, I do wonder what Araki's weak point is. I think it might be his stamina. Anyway, we're going for some chapters of preparation before the bigger tournament

Drmke
August 18, 2009, 10:22 AM
Come on, there has to be some opinions or discussions. Last chapter, hilarious comedy parts. I definitely liked when the two forwards were standing depressed. Anyway, I do wonder what Araki's weak point is. I think it might be his stamina. Anyway, we're going for some chapters of preparation before the bigger tournament

Yeah I'm excited to see what other players will be introduced during the games.

But what I really wanna know is who will be playing what positions. Like mostly who will be the main team players. Clearly Kakeru will be playing forward since he had such an amazing preformance during the match and he is the main character.

Hopefully Araki will get the midfielder postition and build up his stamina like you mentioned.

mathi36
August 21, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'm wondering if the series will also bring out a good goalkeeper.

The next few chapters will all be about araki losing weight I think. But IMO they should beat him badass in training so that he really wants to lose weight, otherwise the whole diet thing'll be futile.

Hopefully the series won't concentrate too much on araki from this point on...

Drmke
August 22, 2009, 12:33 AM
I'm wondering if the series will also bring out a good goalkeeper.

Ah I totally forgot about a goalkeeper. Yeah they need a goalkeeper with a lot of personality cause I can't even remember anything about either goalkeeper they showed so far...

Koen
August 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
Good question: a goalkeeper is very important but never forget a golden rule in soccer
-> when you're seeing the Goalkeeper doing a lot of work, then your team isn't playing good. A very good team always allows a goalkeeper to do less work

New chapter came out and it seems kakeru's weakness is also my weakness. One on one, I am not so good and now I know why :p

mathi36
August 30, 2009, 03:49 PM
It's quite the same for me. I'm good at running but my technique's bad.

Good question: a goalkeeper is very important but never forget a golden rule in soccer
-> when you're seeing the Goalkeeper doing a lot of work, then your team isn't playing good. A very good team always allows a goalkeeper to do less work

yeah, that's perfectly true.
I just like goalkeepers in mangas. They're mostly the toughest characters on the pitch and you can make them perform very cool. Well, that might just be because I like Wakabayashi Genzo from the Captain Tsubasa manga^^.

Koen
August 30, 2009, 05:09 PM
Yep same over here, I am very fast at running and I can run good with the ball and give a clear pass to another player. My pitch overview is maybe my strongest play. Like kakeru, I am really awfull in a one on one situation but it's kinda true what is said in the manga: I think it's mostly because some people are too much concentrated with their eyes on the ball.

Anyway, I do look foward to upociming chapters. I definitely want to see what enoshima will offer us in upcoming matches

chret18
September 10, 2009, 04:42 AM
Do you know why the pages in mangahelpers, in the Area no Kishi menu, are empty ?
I talk about 'Scanlation', 'Raw', all of the chapters diseappers!!!

eni
September 10, 2009, 06:48 AM
Some manga has to be removed from MH for licensing issues. Please check the news on the front page for further info :)

Kouri-chan
September 10, 2009, 08:03 AM
Ah I totally forgot about a goalkeeper. Yeah they need a goalkeeper with a lot of personality cause I can't even remember anything about either goalkeeper they showed so far...
An amazing goalkeeper does appear later on... ;) (well to me he is amazing >_>)

but I agree, most of the main characters/main memorable opponents are either strikers or number 10s XD Guess it's just the same as real life.

Kaiten
December 26, 2009, 04:20 AM
AnoK is a truly great manga, sports manga fans really need to check out this series. Everything that can be asked for is here: great art, great game scenes, great characters, lots of drama, and a sense of humor. Chapters 47 - 48 (http://chibisuke-scans.kono-basho.com/) just came out. I'd love some more fans to discuss this series with. To good a manga to have an inactive thread ;)

Drmke
December 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
I've tried to get those chapters several times over the last few days but I can't get the IRC thing working....when I click on it it does nothing. Any idea what is happening?

Kouri-chan
December 30, 2009, 06:57 AM
@Drmke: You need to install mIRC in order to access the channel ^^ We have a portal to our IRC channel on our forums, but to actually download the file, you need to have mIRC.

@Kaiten: I agree too much <3

Eshvoide
December 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
I like this series a lot, and this is the first time to read about a heart transplant that involves something spectacular.

Kaiten
August 07, 2011, 09:55 PM
Does anyone still read this? It's been almost two years since I read a chapter, I had almost forgotten what a great series Area no Kishi is. It's been so long that I'm starting from the beginning. Last chapter I read was probably in the late forties.

Ottoman_Pasha
April 30, 2013, 08:15 AM
it's been a month since the last (115) chapter was released.
any info?