PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Shiki by Ono Fuyumi and Fujisaki Ryuu

xi0
December 07, 2007, 04:20 PM
Description: ~Thanks to kirimi~
http://img195.imagevenue.com/loc433/th_61425_85azlmu_122_433lo.jpg (http://img195.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=61425_85azlmu_122_433lo.jpg)

Shiki (Corpse Demon)
This series is about village with a population of about 1300 people, and during one fiercely hot summer, many mysterious incidents happened one after another... Shiki is based on a best-selling horror novel by Ono Fuyumi. Fans may know of her other novels such as Twelve Kingdoms (which has been animated) and Ghost Hunt (adapted to both a shoujo manga and anime). Fujisaki Ryuu is a long-time JUMP mangaka of series such as Houshin Engi (recently released by ViZ), and Waqwaq, both of which ran in WJ.

Get the first chapter HERE (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=639493#post639493)

Discuss Away!

[hr]

Download links
Scanlations by SnoopyCool & AkuTenshi
Prologue (SQ 2008 #1) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/c0pyv1)
Chapter 1 (SQ 2008 #2 (http://www.sendspace.com/file/xomgcj)
Chapter 2 (SQ 2008 #3) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/epfj9o)
Chapter 3 (SQ 2008 #4) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/p5ifw9)
Chapter 4 (SQ 2008 #5) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/48dx1o)
Side Story (Chapter 4.5) (SQ 2006 #6) (http://www.sendspace.com/file/g659i8)

eni
December 07, 2007, 07:01 PM
I remember Waqwaq, it wasn't bad.

This series looks promising. I'm curious how it will develop :)

kirimi
December 07, 2007, 11:33 PM
This is a great start to the series. I'm hoping that being restricted to the boundaries of the original work will temper Fujisaki-sensei's tendency to go wild. Heheh. Fujisaki is really a master storyteller (note, I didn't say creator XD). The pacing is absolutely wonderful, despite the 67 pages of prologue. If it feels like it's moving slowly, that's because it matches the feel of the remote, rural village, though you can definitely feel Megumi's impatience. Great way to create the atmosphere! If this manga had background music, I tell you, I would be too freaked out to translate it. Haha.

By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each. So, I hope this series continues for a while! Here are Amazon JP links to the novels in case anyone is interested in looking for it.
- Volume 1 (http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/410124023X/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP) ISBN 978-4101240237
- Volume 2 (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC%E3%80%882%E3%80%89-%E6%96%B0%E6%BD%AE%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4101240248/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197087015&sr=8-3) ISBN 978-4101240244
- Volume 3 (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC%E3%80%883%E3%80%89-%E6%96%B0%E6%BD%AE%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4101240256/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197087015&sr=8-6) ISBN 978-4101240251
- Volume 4 (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC%E3%80%884%E3%80%89-%E6%96%B0%E6%BD%AE%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4101240264/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197087015&sr=8-5) ISBN 978-4101240268
- Volume 5 (http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC%E3%80%885%E3%80%89-%E6%96%B0%E6%BD%AE%E6%96%87%E5%BA%AB-%E5%B0%8F%E9%87%8E-%E4%B8%8D%E7%94%B1%E7%BE%8E/dp/4101240272/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197087015&sr=8-2) ISBN 978-4101240275

Back to the chapter. I'm really curious about the priest's poem/story of the corpse demon, since I'm guessing it's related to the main story here. These are probably the main characters of the series, only because they've been featured in colour. XD And they have more than a one-line description in the Really Long character list of the novel (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC).

Yuuki (Koide) Natsuno - According to the JP wikipedia entry (link above), Koide is his mother's name and Yuuki is his father's name. They're not married, it seems, but Natsuno uses Yuuki for his family name.

Muroi Seishin - The young priest from the temple.

Ozaki Toshio - The director / doctor of the hospital.

Renegade334
December 08, 2007, 03:19 AM
Mmmh...you know, according to Ono Fuyumi herself, after she was asked whether she would continue the still incomplete Ghost Hunt/Evil Spirit (Ghost Hunt's original name IIRC) novel series, she stated that she'd be resuming work on an old supernatural-horror series she had put on hold a while ago. At first her fans thought she was indeed referring to Ghost Hunt, but now that Shiki is back to the fore, one can wonder whether this wasn't what she was actually talking about.

So...50/50, I'd say. Or is 70/30?

Koen
April 03, 2008, 10:44 AM
shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads

xi0
April 04, 2008, 01:15 AM
shiki is really great, can't wait for it to come out. I mean chapter four

shiki is getting more mysterious, thrilling each chapter and still you get the feeling to know more

@mods: can't there be a seperate SQ manga discussion thread -> because lots of SQ threads are forgotten threads

I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.

Koen
April 04, 2008, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking Koen...we have a Jump SQ thread.

Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is

xi0
April 04, 2008, 05:56 AM
Yeah I know there's different jump SQ manga threads but they seem to be forgotten. I was surprised that shiki only had 3 replis and 400+ views and it was on the fourth page of the shounen section

well as long as there's topic I am fine but sometimes it's hard to find a topic that's why I thought like the RTS thread to make a shonen section devided in SQ, WSJ and other magazine discussion boards but nvm it's as good as it is

Hmm, well dividing discussion into magazines wouldn't be ideal for series other than what is in WSJ and JUMP SQ. Mainly because series from other magazines aren't as popular, and on average, there's probably only a bunch from any given magazine (aside from WSJ and JUMP SQ) that have threads here at MH.

hatsuharupeace
April 04, 2008, 09:47 AM
Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

By the way, the novel series, Shiki, is 5 volumes of roughly 500 pages each.

Are the novels directly related to the manga???

xi0
April 04, 2008, 11:00 AM
Shiki is definately my favourite SQ series, love the storyline.

I have a feeling everyone in the village except for the main characters are going to die, just my gut feeling.

How many characters have been introduced btw???? It's hard to keep track, since there are so many that are introduced in each chapter so far.

Are the novels directly related to the manga???

The manga is based on the novels. The manga is an adaptation of the story actually.

kirimi
April 08, 2008, 06:02 AM
Well, I've never read the novels so I don't know how closely the manga follows it. I don't want to spoil myself either. :3

Anyway, grab Chapter 4 at the Latest Scanlations forum! The mystery deepens. :oh

Koen
April 08, 2008, 09:28 AM
If we may believe onemanga then shiki is licensed in america

destiny4ever
November 23, 2010, 10:48 AM
I have been faithfully watching the anime, but thanks to naruto-niichan encouraging me to give the manga a try (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2179517#post2179517) and thanks to an AMV of the series (which included some scenes from the manga) I watched yesterday, I began reading this manga and I’m so glad I did it. This manga is fantastic. :cool: It has suspense, horror, drama, friendship, mystery, a bit of romance, a bit of comedy; it’s such an amazing series!:thumbs The art, the story, and the characters are great, which not only makes Shiki very enjoyable but it also makes you reflect and ponder about things that happen in this series. Sometimes you feel bad for the humans, but other times you can’t help but side with the shiki. I read the series until chapter 33, I don’t know if chapter 34 has been scalanted yet but if it hasn’t, I hope it gets scalanted soon because I can’t wait to see what happens next. To the manga fans of this series I recommend you watching the anime, and to the anime fans I definitely recommend you reading the manga. There are some important and interesting details that didn’t make it into the anime so reading the manga would definitely help you enjoy the series even more. :)

shaheer
November 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
i never knew that there was a thread for Shiki!!!... well i kind a dun like to watch the same thing over and over again... if the manga has more to give then be sure to inform me Des nee...... I am available in FF .....

destiny4ever
November 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
I have mixed feelings about this post, part of me wants to see you keep posting in the OC in the Shiki thread (the one for the anime) but part of me knows that as a fellow Shiki fan I must let you know that the manga has more info and stuff about the series than the anime, not a lot, but yes it has more info. I completely recommend you reading the manga :), it is great! :cool:

Negative Syndicate
November 23, 2010, 07:36 PM
Does Shiki currently flowing same plot-line as original novel or does it changed? I didn't read original novel, but it looks like Shiki might ends on next year.

saladesu
November 23, 2010, 11:31 PM
Although I have never read either (I watch the anime), I have heard that it differs.

One major plot point being that Natsuno dies and stays dead in the novel, but he rises in the manga (and by extension the anime). I'm not sure what exact events are influenced by this, but I am sure there are a lot since Natsuno is a main character...

Negative Syndicate
November 23, 2010, 11:53 PM
Then, do you Shiki is heading toward the end or not?

saladesu
November 23, 2010, 11:56 PM
Honestly, I have no clue since I don't read the manga XD Judging from the anime, yes, but that may be because they could be gearing it for an anime-only ending (and well, only 6 eps left), so that's not a very good gauge.

I plan to read the manga so maybe when I have I can come back and give a proper reply ^^;;

destiny4ever
November 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Does Shiki currently flowing same plot-line as original novel or does it changed?

Thanks to karice67 for the info!

According to this article (http://mantan-web.jp/2010/07/19/20100718dog00m200039000c.html), linked from the Japanese wiki (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B1%8D%E9%AC%BC#.E6.BC.AB.E7.94.BB.E7.89.88)

When Fujisaki Ryuu asked her for permission to adapt her novel into a manga, Ono-sensei requested that the manga be different from the original. She checks the draft of each chapter before Fujisaki-sensei completes it, but I don't know how much control she exerts over the story.

And it is with this episode that the manga/anime really starts to differ from the novel: in the original novel, Natsuno didn't rise up. One of the reasons FujiRyuu chose him to bring back was probably to appeal to the younger crowd, but, as part of our watching experience from here on, I think it might be interesting to consider how the story might have been different (i.e. how Ono-sensei originally did it and why).

I didn't read original novel, but it looks like Shiki might ends on next year.
IMHO, the current events in the manga could very well be leading to the climax of the story, so I wouldn’t disregard the possibility of Shiki ending next year.

Negative Syndicate
November 25, 2010, 12:41 AM
IMHO, the current events in the manga could very well be leading to the climax of the story, so I wouldn’t disregard the possibility of Shiki ending next year.

But since manga version will have different ending from novel version, is there any chance that it might extend little bit further?

destiny4ever
November 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
But since manga version will have different ending from novel version, is there any chance that it might extend little bit further?
Tbh, I don’t know. The current events in the manga remind me of the events that happened in FMA as the climax was approaching, but even after the climax of the story was over there were some more chapters in FMA so maybe Shiki could last a bit longer and end in late 2011 or early 2012.
[hr]
The latest chapter, chapter 34, is out!! What a chapter this was. :cool: There were moments where I had to slightly move my gaze away from the screen because it was difficult to look at some scenes in this chapter and there were also some moments that got me a little teary-eyed. :(

The Shiki vs. Villager’s war is on! It’s payback time and the villagers are making sure the shiki pay their dues to the fullest.

Negative Syndicate
November 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
Do you have raw for it?

destiny4ever
November 30, 2010, 06:11 PM
No, I don't have it. I read the scanlation.

naruto-niichan
December 16, 2010, 01:51 PM
Tbh, I don’t know. The current events in the manga remind me of the events that happened in FMA as the climax was approaching, but even after the climax of the story was over there were some more chapters in FMA so maybe Shiki could last a bit longer and end in late 2011 or early 2012.

Well I do think there's still a lot to happen, Shiki should at least be published till early 2012.

The latest chapter, chapter 34, is out!! What a chapter this was. :cool: There were moments where I had to slightly move my gaze away from the screen because it was difficult to look at some scenes in this chapter and there were also some moments that got me a little teary-eyed. :(

The Shiki vs. Villager’s war is on! It’s payback time and the villagers are making sure the shiki pay their dues to the fullest.

Yes, Maeda Motoko really has gone mad after loosing her whole family. I'm not sure why she betrayed her old friend but it was a very cruel move. I wouldn't be sad if she's going to die :notrust
Aside from these little sidestorys, I do wonder what's going to happen next. Sunako is still planning to turn everyone into a Shiki but it doesn't look very good. Seishin could be kind of a trump card, like Seishirou could be used against Sunako (if, like I think, Natsuno bite him).

Negative Syndicate
December 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
Well I do think there's still a lot to happen, Shiki should at least be published till early 2012.

I agree with you. The story progress for last couple of chapters have been very slow, and the story is going different direction as compare to original novel. So I think it going to take more time to reach its climax.

Also, raw for chapter 35 has released.

Negative Syndicate
March 01, 2011, 02:19 PM
Since manga version of Shiki is heading toward climax (I think), does anyone think whether it going to have similar ending with anime or completely different one?

Jaymie
April 05, 2011, 08:27 PM
Shiki's probably going to be ending in a month or two. It's not officially confirmed or anything, but the manga has reached the ending of the novel (which the Anime followed extremely faithfully bar Natsuno coming back to life, so the manga will most likely have the same ending).

To put it into perspective, Chapter 38 covers most of the events that took place in the second last Anime episode.

If we go by the four-chapters-per-tankobon pattern, there will be 41 chapters. But the final chapter may be extra long, or there may be an epilogue included, so there may only be 40 chapters.

saladesu
April 19, 2011, 01:50 AM
I wouldn't really want it to follow the anime ending though (I felt that ending was a bit wanting), so I would be totally cool with it extending a bit longer for a better conclusion... In other words, another tankoubon/45 chapters sounds good to me. Besides, I don't think they have to force the story to fit any certain number of tankoubon... Worst comes to the worst, there can be omake chapters/bangaihen ^^
[hr]
Shiki will be ending in the following issue of Jump SQ (#7, on sale in June) :scry

Guess we all saw it coming already, but still, I will be sad to see it go.

Negative Syndicate
April 19, 2011, 09:25 AM
Shiki will be ending in the following issue of Jump SQ (#7, on sale in May) :scry

Jump SQ #7 will release at June, not May.

saladesu
July 10, 2011, 11:18 AM
Scanlations have caught up to chapter 40. Now there's only one chapter left to go. I wonder how this series will end, in comparison to the anime. I've heard it's largely the same (but I can't find raws...), which I guess is a little sad as I thought the anime ending could have been better. We'll see.

Also, I found Megumi's death in the manga a lot less gruesome than in the anime. It's not really obvious if Natsuno died there, whereas with that huge stalagmite impaling him, it's pretty obvious that Tatsumi's a goner even if a werewolf is hard to kill. That was also a little different from the anime where Natsuno dynamites himself and Tatsumi

Negative Syndicate
July 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
I read last chapter through volume 11, and it was pretty similar ending with anime version. Only differences is what is third person's perspective on what happened to village.

saladesu
July 10, 2011, 10:20 PM
Oh, that kinda sucks then... I was really hoping for something different. The build up to the ending was awesome in the anime and looks just as good in the manga, but if the actual ending is the same then... bleh. I guess that's the same ending that happened in the novel as well since apparently the only major difference between novel and manga/anime is that Natsuno doesn't rise after he dies

fanatik
July 12, 2011, 10:50 PM
Now it's really over, and I must say I'm disappointed. The evil still lives. We know nothing about how Ozaki and Sadafumi (the two humans I actually cared about) are doing, except for a vague 'they scattered all across the country, some suicided and some went mentally ill'.

And now I truly despise Sunako (she had decided to die, but is such an epithome of a coward that she went back on her own decision! despicable) and Seishin (wtf with trying to hide behind lame excuses like 'we're not human, hence we can't sin, even if we massmurder everyone around'?! friggin traitor of the humanity). I hoped the evil gets punished in some way, but instead it flourishes like never before, as Sunako got herself a new boytoy and even wierder ideas. Damn, I hoped that maybe Natsuno could survive and continue hunting that sick lolicon couple for all eternity so they wouldn't be able to hurt people anymore, but alas...

saladesu
July 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
It's really a pity that the ending was what it was. After all, the build up was so good! It's a real let down :s But all in all, Shiki was still a great series - loved the suspense! I only wish the ending could have been better, and I guess with the manga being almost identical to the anime, there was no real "need" for me to read the manga (I was hoping for a different, better ending) :(

Seishin was the biggest disappointment, imo. I liked his character at the beginning until he decided to join the shiki side. Natsuno dying... Well in the novel after he died due to Tohru sucking his blood, he was supposed to have stayed dead and not rise. I guess that's why although he played a fairly big role in the lead-up to the end, the mangaka chose not to keep him alive at the end to keep that part true to the novel?

I also didn't really like how there was no real "conclusion" to the whole ethical issue (of sorts) about whether shiki were justified in killing humans for food, which Sunako said was akin to humans killing animals for food (and that humans don't see any wrong in that).

Negative Syndicate
July 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. I thought Fujisaki will write different ending because when he tried to get permission from Ono, she said that manga version to be different from novel. But, only difference is Natsuno got increased role, and that's about yet. I hoped him to do different ending from novel and animatino, but he did not.

Also, since Fujisaki finished Shiki, how others think whether Fujisaki will return to shonen magazine (Shonen Jump and Jump SQ) or move to seinen magazine (like Young Jump and Ultra Jump)?

saladesu
July 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
I can understand the ending being the same as the anime, since the anime was an adaptation of the manga (though it ended earlier than the manga did), but it's disappointing if it didn't differ much from the novel apart from Natsuno's increased role. That means Natsuno's "increased role" was really to please the fujoshis more than anything else, and did not make for a better ending.

I've never seen Fujisaki's other works, but I've heard Hoshin Engi is a great series, but vastly different from Shiki. So I guess whether or not Fujisaki will stay in shounen or move to seinen, would depend on what kind of series he wants to write next or adapt next. I think he'd probably stick with shounen though, since that's what he's done all the way (though I don't think Shiki would have been too out of place in a seinen manga either).

Negative Syndicate
July 13, 2011, 01:05 PM
I've never seen Fujisaki's other works, but I've heard Hoshin Engi is a great series, but vastly different from Shiki. So I guess whether or not Fujisaki will stay in shounen or move to seinen, would depend on what kind of series he wants to write next or adapt next. I think he'd probably stick with shounen though, since that's what he's done all the way (though I don't think Shiki would have been too out of place in a seinen manga either).

Well, I said Fujisaki possibly can moved to seinen magzine because of Shiki. Compared to his four previous series (Psycho+, Houshin Engi, Sakura Tetsu Taiwahen, and Waq Waq), Shiki is more serious tone and it easily can move to seinen magazine; plus, the computer graphic really suited for seinen manga series.

Furthermore, many authors who started from Shonen Jump moved to seinen magazine as their career gotten longer. Yudetamago, Takahashi Youichi, Houjou Tsukasa, Hara Tetsuo, Katsura Masakazu, Araki Hirohiko, Tokuhiro Masaya, Morita Masanori, Inoue Takehiko, Umezawa Haruto, Kiriyama Kouji, Tsunomaru, and Takei Hiroyuki, all of them started their career from Shonen Jump, but they soon moved to more mature manga as their career reached minimum 10 years. Fujisaki has been mangaka for more than 10 years, so I think it is possible that he moved to seinen magazine.

Although, there is still many mangakas stay in shounen magazine, like Akimoto Osamu and Kurumada Masami.

saladesu
July 14, 2011, 12:24 AM
Definitely agree it's possible, but like I said I think it'd definitely depend on what kind of series he decides he wants to write next. I mean the main reason why mangaka like Inoue Takehiko moved to seinen was because their new series were too mature to be considered shounen (I don't think the kids who read JUMP would be able to appreciate REAL for what it is). Apart from whether or not he chooses to stay with shounen or move to seinen, I'm also interested to see if he will choose to adapt an existing novel/whatever, or write his own story this time.

Negative Syndicate
July 14, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm also interested to see if he will choose to adapt an existing novel/whatever, or write his own story this time.

I think Fujisaki should just focus on remaking novels than making original story. He did total of five series and two of them (Houshin Engi and Shiki) are successful and his original series were failure. I think he is good at adding his own ideas into existing novel, rather than create everything from his head.

saladesu
July 14, 2011, 01:59 AM
I would agree more with you if he'd executed a different, better ending for Shiki, but otherwise yeah :) (though I haven't actually read the novels myself for a proper comparison)

Estranho
July 14, 2011, 08:02 AM
I don't get what exactly you guys dislike in the end. Just because the ending is (almost) the same that the anime's, doesn't mean that's a bad ending. Were you only waiting a different ending?!
Well, I guess Fujisaki already knew how to end the manga, so he don't need to change just because the anime or novel got the same ending.

naruto-niichan
July 14, 2011, 08:33 AM
I don't get what exactly you guys dislike in the end. Just because the ending is (almost) the same that the anime's, doesn't mean that's a bad ending. Were you only waiting a different ending?!

They were hoping for a different ending because it wasn't very satisfying or conclusive. I partly agree on that, it was an open ending and some questions weren't solved. Still I'm fine with it, I think the author wanted the readers to form a own solution to who was right, much like Toshio who too isn't sure which side was the right one at the end.

Nevertheless the ending could have been better but I enjoyed most of manga so I'm not really disappointed.

saladesu
July 14, 2011, 08:57 AM

Basically what naruto-niichan said.

My problem with the ending was the same problem I had with the anime's ending (haven't read the novel so can't exactly say but if it's the same ending then I have the same problem with it :XD). Having watched the anime first, and not being fully satisfied with the ending, I had hoped for a different ending for the manga, which would hopefully make up for what I felt was lacking with the anime ending. That's basically it :) My reasons for my actual dislike for the ending were given in my previous posts.

Well, I guess Fujisaki already knew how to end the manga, so he don't need to change just because the anime or novel got the same ending.

Regardless of the anime (which I assume is the same as the manga because it is a direct adaptation of it), Fujisaki didn't have to stick with the novel ending if he didn't want to. He already got permission to change stuff, and did change stuff - in fact it was some major stuff - so changing the ending would not have been that much of a stretch.

Once again, I thoroughly enjoyed Shiki. I just would have enjoyed it even more had the ending been better :amuse