PDA

View Full Version : Theory Criteria for the appointment of Shichibukai

hollowfied
December 23, 2007, 11:07 AM
Since there are such huge inconsistencies in power between the different Shichibukai members, I was wondering whether or not there are actually any qualifications needed for the World Government to consider you as a candidate for the Shichibukai.

We know that you need a fearsome reputation. However, Don Krieg has never heard of Mihawk before, despite the fact that Mihawk is (probably) the strongest Shichibukai, so their reputation really ain't much outside of the Grandline. Don't really see how they could fulfill their purpose if people don't know much about them.

Another presumed requirement is a high bounty, however, Blackbeard has recently been appointed Shichibukai despite having a 0 beli bounty ( I don't really understand that either, seeing how he served under one of the Yonkou and sacked the kingdom of Drum, amongst other things, he should at least have had >100 million beli bounty? I mean, Rockstar has a bounty of 90 mil bounty and is still considered a rookie within another Yonkou's crew). Crocodile also had an extremely low bounty of 80 mil (compared to the other bigtime pirates on the Grandline).

Some people say that after you become a Shichibukai, you will have to abandon your crew. Not so sure whether or not thats true either.

The huge power differences within the Shichibukai is strange as well, considering how Crocodile is so weak compared to say Gecko Moria, how Moria could not survive in the New World and how Mihawk practically lives in the New World.

I wish we had more explanation on how the Shichibukai works.

Imitorar
December 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
Krieg was a very small-time pirate, not the type to really know what goes on in the pirate world. And I doubt Wapol ever tried telling the World Government about Blackbeard, and the people of Drum sure didn't, so the World Government didn't know about that. And Blackbeard having no former bounty is actually unique, Moria was surprised by that. The World Government probably gave him the position even though he had no former bounty because of what he did to get the position: he beat Portgas D. Ace, the head of Whitebeard's second division. And also, I always figured that the reason Crocodile's bounty wasn't even near 300,000,000 berries, like the bounties of the other Shichibukai, was because one time that he did something really threatening to the World Government, they decided to just offer him the position of Shichibukai instead of raising his bounty again. Or maybe they gave it to him off of potential. Or maybe Oda figured that he would have the Shichibukai bounties hover around 100,000,000, and then decided against it.

And as to the abandoning your former crew, I think it's just that a Shichibukai is in a different league then his old crew, so he hangs around on his own, but occasionally checks up on them, like Doflamingo did. That, or the Shichibukai don't want to be identified with a bunch of pirates, but prefer to go off and pirate on their own. And Moria seems to have staid with his crew for a while even after becoming a Shichibukai, so I guess that it's a matter of personal choice as to whether or not the Shichibukai wants to hang around with a bunch of small time pirates.

Absolutio
December 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
Krieg was a very small-time pirate, not the type to really know what goes on in the pirate world. And I doubt Wapol ever tried telling the World Government about Blackbeard, and the people of Drum sure didn't, so the World Government didn't know about that. And Blackbeard having no former bounty is actually unique, Moria was surprised by that. The World Government probably gave him the position even though he had no former bounty because of what he did to get the position: he beat Portgas D. Ace, the head of Whitebeard's second division. And also, I always figured that the reason Crocodile's bounty wasn't even near 300,000,000 berries, like the bounties of the other Shichibukai, was because one time that he did something really threatening to the World Government, they decided to just offer him the position of Shichibukai instead of raising his bounty again. Or maybe they gave it to him off of potential. Or maybe Oda figured that he would have the Shichibukai bounties hover around 100,000,000, and then decided against it.

And as to the abandoning your former crew, I think it's just that a Shichibukai is in a different league then his old crew, so he hangs around on his own, but occasionally checks up on them, like Doflamingo did. That, or the Shichibukai don't want to be identified with a bunch of pirates, but prefer to go off and pirate on their own. And Moria seems to have staid with his crew for a while even after becoming a Shichibukai, so I guess that it's a matter of personal choice as to whether or not the Shichibukai wants to hang around with a bunch of small time pirates.

Couldn't said that better myself.. :D

But hollowfied is right that it was stated that one of the "requires" to get the Shichibukai title is to have a reputation, so BB 0 bounty and no-one ever hearing about him is a bit problematic, but then again, he probably have proven that he's more than qualified for the job.

Moreover, it was also stated that BB always remained "in the dark", meaning he didn't do too much nor did too little. He had a plan, and for that he didn't want to hog the spotlight, so that's a really good reason for him not to be having a bounty. And you also forgot that WB has approximatly 1600 pirates under him.. I doubt that each and everyone of them has a bounty, although they're pirates of The WB.. So BB who didn't hog the spotlight not having a bounty is reasonable.

white silver
December 24, 2007, 02:52 AM
The Shichibukai is one of the most interesting groups to appear in the mangaworld. Regarding the criteria, I believe that this must be a voluntary and notoriety issue.

From what I remember, the Shichibukai are simply a group of "legal" pirates that can do what pirates do, except work for the govenment when needed. They are given the "rights" to conquer barbaric or lands that is not touched by the laws of World Government and then share the loot that they gained.

Now let us start with Crocodile. For 81 Million beli which is extremely low compared to the other members. However, 81 Million is still a lot if you think about it. I believe that he has fulfilled the minimum requirements to be considered a Shichibukai. An 81 million dollar bounty as a lap-dog for the government sure must have some benefits.

For Blackbeard's case, he may be very well unknown but consider the factors here. Lafitte was the one who nominated Blackbeard to replace Crocodile. Seeing even the very high council has knowledge about him, and the fact that he is working under Blackbeard (an unknown) may prove something. Even if Blackbeard is unknown, I'm sure some of his nakama are and this can show the government how willing he is to join.

Impel Down
December 24, 2007, 01:06 PM
You're made a Shichibukai based on your power and threat factor. That's why the WG didn't make BB a Shichibukai until he could prove himself to get a big enough name for himself to scare off pirates, which he did by defeat Ace, a major deal in the world.

Crocodile was made Shichibukai as he was moving up the Pirate Ladder, based on Oda saying that his bounty would be doubled by now if he had continued his career.

white silver
December 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
You're made a Shichibukai based on your power and threat factor. That's why the WG didn't make BB a Shichibukai until he could prove himself to get a big enough name for himself to scare off pirates, which he did by defeat Ace, a major deal in the world.

If I remember correctly. Blackbeard was already made Shichibukai before he fought with Ace. This is because Laffite was an exile already well known in the top-levels of the marine for being a ruthless officer in the West Blue. For somebody like him to be on orders, naturally that person (even nameless) should be conceived as a higher power or threat.

And secondly, Ace just finished chasing Blackbeard, which surprised him. It was not the other way around so defeating Ace was not the reason why he was given his title.
Let's say the WG doesn't know who I am but I have Crocodile working under me. Crocodile is already an 81 million bounty and if he were to request the WG for the Shichibukai position, naturally the WG would already consider my "threat and power factor" without even knowing me. As you have already said "You're made a Shichibukai based on your power and threat factor", I agree on that except that the "pirate/criminal" should either accept or voluntarily request to fill that position. (Blackbeard did the latter).

noonethere
December 25, 2007, 12:23 PM
No, BB was made shichibukai after defeating Ace. The skills and notoriety of Laffite only made BB appear as a serious contestant in the eyes of the the vice admirals,shichibukai and sengoku.To become shichibukai, BB had to prove himself by capturing a dangerous pirate(his intended target was Luffy but he ended up using Ace).

DutchPhoenix
December 25, 2007, 07:35 PM
mihawk also didnt had a bounty like blackbeard

Imitorar
December 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
^That's not necessarily true, seeing as Mihawk's former bounty, or indeed, whether he even had one, is completely unknown as of now. For all we know, Mihawk's former bounty was even higher then Doflamingo's. Or maybe even as low as Crocodiles. We have NO information on the subject.

Impel Down
December 25, 2007, 10:03 PM
And secondly, Ace just finished chasing Blackbeard, which surprised him. It was not the other way around so defeating Ace was not the reason why he was given his title.
Let's say the WG doesn't know who I am but I have Crocodile working under me. Crocodile is already an 81 million bounty and if he were to request the WG for the Shichibukai position, naturally the WG would already consider my "threat and power factor" without even knowing me. As you have already said "You're made a Shichibukai based on your power and threat factor", I agree on that except that the "pirate/criminal" should either accept or voluntarily request to fill that position. (Blackbeard did the latter).

However, the WG did NOT know BB's threat and power factor. And Laffite was not strong enough for his input to automatically rally the world. In fact, in the room, only one guy knew Laffite because it was I guess his job to know about West Blue Peacekeepers, being a big shot Marine guy.

DutchPhoenix
December 26, 2007, 05:43 AM
you need to be extremely powerfull , and do something impressive, bounty or whatsoever doesnt really matter

Impel Down
December 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
Agreed, because you could have a massive bounty for just reading Poneglyphs, but that doesn't mean that the WG would make them a Shichibukai, even though they tell the people of the world that Poneglyph readers do other illegal stuff, but that's beside the point.

white silver
December 27, 2007, 12:00 AM
However, the WG did NOT know BB's threat and power factor. And Laffite was not strong enough for his input to automatically rally the world. In fact, in the room, only one guy knew Laffite because it was I guess his job to know about West Blue Peacekeepers, being a big shot Marine guy.

Although I agree with you for the rest of your post. You can't simply say that Laffite "was not strong" enough, there is no evidence of that yet. However, he was able to sneak in the Shichibukai meeting without being caught, there should be some merit right there.

Impel Down
December 27, 2007, 11:05 AM
He's fast and stealthy. That doesn't mean he's super-strong. It just means he's, well, got Soru. And considering no one really knew who he was, that doesn't really shine well on his reputation.

Inkovic
December 28, 2007, 03:52 AM
Well I don't believe a bounty doesn't directly corelate to strength. If the Pirate is formiddable and can serve the WG they probably could join.

Think about it. Luffy defeated Crocodile who was a threat to the WG, defeated counteless of Pirates. By all means he is a standout contender for Shichibukai.

The only reason why Luffy isn't one is probably cause he has Robin in his crew.

Umbra Wolf
December 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
Additionally Luffy has declared war to the WG during the EL-Arc. They wouldn't use someone who want to overthrow the system as a henchman.
Finally Luffy won't work for anyone besides his dreams and his friends. He would NOT support the WG especially since Enies Lobby.

white silver
December 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
He's fast and stealthy. That doesn't mean he's super-strong. It just means he's, well, got Soru. And considering no one really knew who he was, that doesn't really shine well on his reputation.

Fast and stealthy is one thing. You can't say he's not "super-strong" since there is no real evidence of that. Besides, no one except one of the high council members who just happens to know who Laffite is (along with his history) might prove something. I mean it's understandable he may not have enough rep to catch everyone's attention but if I had someone on a "high" seat noticing me, that should mean I have brought some "real" attention to myself.

LOL to the Soru though.

Actually, Luffy isn't one because that is one "other" real reason that would prevent him from achieving his goal.... the "Pirate King"!

hill_mie87
December 28, 2007, 03:23 PM
i think Laffite should received some merits for being able to sneak in, and stand & talked to the shicibukais, WG without showing any fears. Considering this, we could deduce that he isn't a weak person.

Impel Down
December 29, 2007, 10:19 AM
^Well, of course he isn't weak, but he's not a major force in the world either.

Dalton is really strong, much more than the average person, but that doesn't mean he can influence the leaders of the WG heavily. Same goes to Lafitte.

kazuma_uzumaki
December 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
You know I've been wondering.
When the shichibukai were first introduces, Yosaku had pictured them as 7 figures, each holding a sword. i wonder if that sword signifies anything
http://manga.bleachexile.com/one-piece-chapter-69-page-5.html

Impel Down
December 30, 2007, 09:05 PM
I don't think so...I mean, the silhouettes don't even look like they do anyway, so you can't accept that picture all that much. I think the swords and the tri-corner hats they're wearing is just to make them look more piratey.

Actually, I just noticed, all of the World Powers have shown up as silhouettes. The Yonkou, the Marines, and the Shichibukai, when first talked about, were shown as silhouettes in the background. Cool.

kazuma_uzumaki
December 30, 2007, 09:13 PM
could someone help me? i've forgotten most of the shichibukai...

Jimbei
Mihawk
kuma
moira
crocadile
dude in sunglasses

who's left?

Impel Down
December 30, 2007, 09:30 PM
We only know six of them...the 7th is unknown.

And it's not Crocodile anymore. Now it's Blackbeard.

kazuma_uzumaki
December 30, 2007, 09:33 PM
didn't they say arlong was a shichibukai once?

Neuroff
December 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
Arlong wasn't a shichibukai, he was part of Jimbei's crew.

Impel Down
December 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
They said that Arlong was "at Jimbei's level", but I think they meant in a tribal sense rather than real power.

If Jimbei is really only as strong as Arlong, that would be a MAJOR downer.

Umbra Wolf
December 31, 2007, 08:13 AM
Actually, I just noticed, all of the World Powers have shown up as silhouettes. The Yonkou, the Marines, and the Shichibukai, when first talked about, were shown as silhouettes in the background. Cool.
Indeed but there is one major difference:

- We've seen the Shichibukai just as stereotypes of pirates and not like their actual looking.
- When we were introduced to the leading forces of the Marines we got "real" silhouettes that clearly show the outer appeareance of the Marines (you could recognize Aokoji really clear).
- Finally when we've learnt about the Yonkous we get to see their actual faces and their distinctive looks and we should be able to recognize them when we get to see them.

Luckas
December 31, 2007, 12:19 PM
Stay on topic, guys.

white silver
January 01, 2008, 07:09 AM
If Jimbei is really only as strong as Arlong, that would be a MAJOR downer.

That's true!

Impel Down
January 01, 2008, 07:20 PM
It's true that it would be a downer or it's true that Jimbei is only as strong as Arlong?

Imitorar
January 01, 2008, 08:20 PM
Enough about the Jimbei and Arlong relationship, that has NOTHING to do with the criteria for the appointment of Shichibukai. Discussions involving Jimbei should be had here (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6260&highlight=Jimbei).

kaizokumarcee
May 26, 2008, 01:55 AM
Ever since Shichibukai has been introduced, I (like anyone else i bet) have noticed that every member has an animal "theme" or name.

Dracule Mihawk (hawk)
Sir Crocodile (crocodile)
Donquixote Doflamingo (flamingo)
Bartholomew Kuma (bear)
Gecko Moria (gecko)
Jimbei (whale shark)

Ever since, I've been wondering whether Monkey D. Luffy (monkey) will one day be part of them.

well, of course, there's an exception to Blackbeard.

:tem

Merged with a similar thread.

kkck
May 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
I think that in order to become a shichibukai you only need to prove you are strong enough by doing something big (Like BB defeating ace) and have a name that other pirates will fear because of what you did.

darknitemarch
May 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
You also need to abandon your crew and work with the World Government, so I don't think Luffy will ever even consider it. I know Moria was an example of one who didn't follow the rules, but Pirate King > Shichibukai, and even Moria still wanted to be the Pirate King. Since Luffy never compromises on his dream, I REALLY don't see it happening.

kaizokumarcee
May 26, 2008, 06:52 PM
You also need to abandon your crew and work with the World Government, so I don't think Luffy will ever even consider it. I know Moria was an example of one who didn't follow the rules, but Pirate King > Shichibukai, and even Moria still wanted to be the Pirate King. Since Luffy never compromises on his dream, I REALLY don't see it happening.

Jimbei didn't abandon his crew. It's not a requirement to become a Shichibukai. Arlong and his crew just split up from their original crew and went to East Blue for easier targets.

I myself think that that might never happen. To become a Shichibukai, you need to pledge allegiance to the World Government. But the Strawhats are already an enemy of the WG...

Just thinking of the possibilities. :darn

kkck
May 26, 2008, 11:21 PM
I dont think you need to abandon your crew, considering that all shichibukai work as they please.

Also moria did not abandoned his crew. Also kumar wasnt surprised at all that moria had a crew son I dont think that he kept his crew a secret.

IMO shichibukai abandon their crews so that they can keep their pirate lives while they work for the WG.

ZeroChrome
May 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
To become a Shichibukai, you need to pledge allegiance to the World Government. But the Strawhats are already an enemy of the WG...

I quite agree on this. Basically I think it's not just strength alone to be considered. If it's like that, then WB or Shanks can also be appointed as Shichibukai rather than Yonkou. So they need to be loyal to WG to be appointed as a shichibukai and assist WG in capturing or reducing the number of pirates.

Superman
August 31, 2008, 02:33 PM
I wonder how many Shichis were pirate captains.
Ok i know for sure that Doflaminco was one, but i dont know if Kuma is or was really the guiding guy.
Does anyone imagine that Kuma was a pirate captain, or was he an subordinate?
He is with moria my far favorite but i think he can just take orders.:p

Move this thread if it already exsist

Thread renamed and given a clearer title.

bittman
August 31, 2008, 10:48 PM
I'm almost with you on Kuma, he appears to be someone who does not use a crew and wouldn't really categorise himself as a captain. I'd almost wager he was recruited by the WG whilst not a pirate captain to fill a spot (could have been Vegapunks ex-lieutenant as the Sumo guy is now?).

Everyone else has been stated to be a pirate captain, though Mihawk also appears to be largely without crew. Even the elusive Jimbei has other merman onside (Arlong was an ex-crew member).

shoe
September 01, 2008, 03:02 AM
given that at least we know that at least 3/7 used to be captains it wouldn't be hard to assume that they were all captains, even if it was just a one man crew (mihawk)

paradoxe
September 01, 2008, 09:54 AM
Jimbei, Doflamingo, BB and Moria are/were captains. Both Mihawk and kuma seem the solitary type, whilst we don't know so much about Crocodile.

Sachsenhesse
September 01, 2008, 09:59 AM
i think that mihawk was a former member of the whitebeardpirates(rogerpirates and whitebeardpirates fought a long time and we all know there was legendary fights between shanks and mihawk) but then goes a different way in agreement with whitebeard, as a replacement i can imagine ace :/

kuma was before with dragon (thats nearly sure) and bb was only becoming piratecaptain to become a shichibukai, before that he was an underling

shoe
September 01, 2008, 02:56 PM
i think that mihawk was a former member of the whitebeardpirates(rogerpirates and whitebeardpirates fought a long time and we all know there was legendary fights between shanks and mihawk) but then goes a different way in agreement with whitebeard, as a replacement i can imagine ace :/
thats like saying that enel was a member of baroque works because luffy fought him.

kuma was before with dragon (thats nearly sure)
no, it's not. all that we know is that kuma knew dragon personally, probably much like how shanks and mihawk are somewhat friendly towards each other.

and bb was only becoming piratecaptain to become a shichibukai, before that he was an underling
and shanks and buggy were underlings when they were younger too, in fact right now luffy is the only pirate captain that we have seen that it's safe to say wasn't an underling at some point, and even then he wanted to be one. so I fail to see your point.

Sachsenhesse
September 01, 2008, 03:12 PM
thats like saying that enel was a member of baroque works because luffy fought him.

No its not, because about the fights it was whitebeard who said that, enel isnt known on the grandline or new world and i think he will not fight luffy anymore. But in Shanks vs. Mihawk it was mentioned about many fights.

and shanks and buggy were underlings when they were younger too, in fact right now luffy is the only pirate captain that we have seen that it's safe to say wasn't an underling at some point, and even then he wanted to be one. so I fail to see your point.

you forget the other supernovas, capt. black, don krieg and so on, enel seems to be too not the guy who works under someone else

shoe
September 01, 2008, 03:51 PM
No its not, because about the fights it was whitebeard who said that, enel isnt known on the grandline or new world and i think he will not fight luffy anymore. But in Shanks vs. Mihawk it was mentioned about many fights.
perhaps a better analogy was crocodile being part of cp9 because luffy fought them both, but my point still stands, just because someone fights two separate entities, doesn't mean that those entities are related in any way shape or form

you forget the other supernovas, capt. black, don krieg and so on, enel seems to be too not the guy who works under someone else
enel wasn't a captain

since we know almost nothing about the past of all the other pirate captains, I would say that more likely than not they started out on the lower echelons of someone else's crew rather than instantly becoming captains

Organizized
September 02, 2008, 01:59 PM
Jimbei didn't abandon his crew. It's not a requirement to become a Shichibukai. Arlong and his crew just split up from their original crew and went to East Blue for easier targets.

Are you sure this was the reason? I have no memory of it ever being stated that Jimbei had a crew in addition to Arlong and his men..

I reread this part and noticed what Van Auger says in this page (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/441/16/). I don't believe he's talking about Blackbeard getting killed, nor that he referes to someone else (who would that be?), so disbanding the crew makes the most sense. The question in this case is why BB got himself a crew in the first place if he was going to disband it so soon. Sure, he might have zero navigator skills and needs a doctor but Auger and Burgess are just fighters..

EDIT: Another thread made me realize another thing about Jimbei disbanding his crew. While it has not been made 100% certain that the Sunny Pirates = Jimbei's crew, almost everyone agree on that part, as well as the sun tattoo on the former Jimbei nakama in Arlong's crew being connected to Jimbei. The thing is, not only the Arlong Pirates have been seen with the sun tattoo, but also Tom and Macro (possibly more, but these are the ones I know of), and neither of them were in Jimbei's crew when we saw them. Therefore, I think Jimbei disbanded the crew, Macro went and formed his loser crew, Tom settled down at W7 and Arlong and the rest went to East Blue to reign in terror.

dsr
October 04, 2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know if it has already been discussed, ut have you ever wondered why the WG decided to form the shichibukai? And when? And were the 7 (Mihawk, Croc, ecc...) the original ones or there were others before?
Is the meeting for the WB vs SB the first time they were summoned togheter?
Is the WG that selects the pirates or they can propose themself as BB did (Actually I think that this is an exception)?
Why they all have animal's name except for BB?

paradoxe
October 04, 2008, 10:36 PM
Why they all have animal's name except for BB?

BB represents the coming of the new era (along with Luffy).

Is the meeting for the WB vs SB the first time they were summoned togheter?

I don't think so.

I don't know if it has already been discussed, ut have you ever wondered why the WG decided to form the shichibukai? And when? And were the 7 (Mihawk, Croc, ecc...) the original ones or there were others before?

No idea but I think they were formed to counter Gol D Roger. After his death, many pirates wanted to take up his mantle so the 7bukai were not disbanded.

Is the WG that selects the pirates or they can propose themself as BB did (Actually I think that this is an exception)?

I'd think the WG gives out invitations, cos it isn't plausible to think that powerful pirates could just walk up to the WG's door and ask nicely. They'd be attacked on sight by the WG.

dsr
October 05, 2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah, paradoxe, good theories, but if you answer in the order in which I made the questions, you will maybe get different answers.

I don't know if they were formed to track Roger down or before Roger, or even soon after his death, but if this is the reason we have to say that at least 20 years have already passed.
That would mean that besides the aspects, the SB are older than they look...or perhaps there were other shichis before them.

We don't know if they were summoned together before, but I don't think so, because this time there's something really huge, they weren't even summoned for the Enies Lobby or Ohara incident.

I also think that they are chosen by the WG, but how does the WG approached them, I think that they managed to capture them and then they offerem the pirates the choice between Impel Down and becoming a SB.

BB not having the name of an animal leads me to think that we'll see a ig change among the shichi after the battle, and IMHO, this is the reason why Oda is showing so soon the other shichis.
We had Mihawk in vol.6, then 11 volumes to see Croc, other 8 volumes to see Dofla and Kuma, then 21 (more than 5 years!) to see Gekko and then Boa this close...guys I think it's strange, even because we have at least other 50 volumes left, so Oda would have had the time to put the SB in the story with more patience, and at the same time I don't think he rushes anything.

JC123
October 05, 2008, 08:40 PM
Brooke is the best source of info. His silence on the matter says that they weren't necessarily around 50 years ago. Gol D was such a famous pirate that he created an era that others wanted to emulate. If I remember correctly, the shichi were made to quell rookie pirates and discourage others from breaking the law in this way.

Onomatopoeia
October 05, 2008, 10:38 PM
I should note this the page that Van Auger talked Fate and how they would split up was a mistranslation many respected and much better One Piece translators all disagree with One Manga's translation.

vinsky
October 14, 2008, 01:21 AM
hmmm..... i think the criteria to appointment of Shicibukai like this :
1. They have the indcrible power..... [ there is some reason that make him in here ]
2. They have some former or bounty [ but BB or Crocodile doesnt have any big bounty or Former ]
3. They have a big crew [ for some shicibukai member, the crew thats was important like Dofflamingo have Bellamy , Jimbei have Arlong , Boa Hancook have Amazon Lily , Crocodile have Baroque Works whose want treated Arabasta , and the rest of them have a small army but better than another pirates and some1 doesnt have crew but they power like hundred people or less like Kuma or Mihawk....
4.They have a money or area or zone [ Like Dofflamingo he have market in archipelago or some island like we know in last chapter ( i forget what chapter is ) , Boa Hancook have Amazon Lily for her base camp , i think Jimbei have some1 island....

5. Last maybe some1 of them have been fought before with Admiral or some1 in marine or some1 in shicibukai too so they can join Shicibukai.......

THX

Absolutio
October 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
hmmm..... i think the criteria to appointment of Shicibukai like this :
1. They have the indcrible power..... [ there is some reason that make him in here ]
~I agree with you on that..

2. They have some former or bounty [ but BB or Crocodile doesnt have any big bounty or Former ]
~It's less about the bounty and more about their "popularity" and famousness in the world. Shichibukais have to be well-known and fearful so pirates would be afraid of them just by their name. BB fall into this criteria because he defeated Ace, and it was spread all over the world.

3. They have a big crew [ for some shicibukai member, the crew thats was important like Dofflamingo have Bellamy , Jimbei have Arlong , Boa Hancook have Amazon Lily , Crocodile have Baroque Works whose want treated Arabasta , and the rest of them have a small army but better than another pirates and some1 doesnt have crew but they power like hundred people or less like Kuma or Mihawk....
~Crew doesnt have to do anything with that. First of all, Crocodile's "crew" was a secret organization that worked against the World Government, so if they knew from the first place about it, his title would've been taken away. Second of all, the Shichibukai's crews are part of the Shichibukai's power, so it's only logical to assume that if the Shichibukai will have a crew, it will be considered as part of his power.

4.They have a money or area or zone [ Like Dofflamingo he have market in archipelago or some island like we know in last chapter ( i forget what chapter is ) , Boa Hancook have Amazon Lily for her base camp , i think Jimbei have some1 island....
~Again, I don't see how anything of this has to do with being a Shichibukai. Doflamingo's slave market is illegel and isn't supposed to be known to the WG, Amazon Lily is just their home island, and money doesn't have anything to do with it as well.

5. Last maybe some1 of them have been fought before with Admiral or some1 in marine or some1 in shicibukai too so they can join Shicibukai.......
~It goes with point 1, that they have to be strong, and point 2, that they have to be well-known for their strength. This are just examples of how to achieve those two points.

vinsky
October 15, 2008, 03:32 AM
Hmm....
maybe the last criteria for appointment of Shicibukai are.......
they have survive in "New World" or "Shinsekai" like Cobby said......

but i have some question..... or i must make a new treat.....
some1 in water said that Monkey D Garp was captured Roger......
but why he doesnt promoted to Admiral... Garp just Vice Admiral.... thats was my question...

Dice
October 15, 2008, 06:18 AM
It was said that he cornered him. So he might have been really close to actually capture him but was never able to do so.

Why he wasn't promoted? Maybe he's like Smoker and doesn't care for ranks. Or maybe he was an admiral before but due to his old age might have retired from the "limited positions".

Yabe
October 15, 2008, 06:33 AM
Hmm....
maybe the last criteria for appointment of Shicibukai are.......
they have survive in "New World" or "Shinsekai" like Cobby said......

but why he doesnt promoted to Admiral... Garp just Vice Admiral.... thats was my question...
Mm, by "surviving in a place" it can't only mean being able to reach there safely but by any reason being able to stay there contentedly too, just to make sure I get you right - cos if that so, at least Moria and his whole crews already were once defeated terribly in the New World, and it also seems he still hasn't returned there to change that fact since.

Also, I think a few reasons Garp's still a Vice Admiral rely on his absent-minded personalities, his position as the father of Dragon who's a huge treat of the WG, and imo there's probably some story behind how he failed to capture Roger many times and the fact that they shared the 'D'. If you're still interested, there's also the discussion about that in this thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820&page=12), let's continue it at the place.

Absolutio
October 15, 2008, 08:38 AM

It was said the Garp has cornered Roger many times, as in chasing him and making it very hard for him to escape, only that.
And moreover, it was already stated by Rayleigh that Roger gave himself in, so no one actually captured him.

gao_dargon
November 01, 2008, 07:09 PM
If i remeber correclty to become a shichibukai you have to separate from your crew isnt it? I don't remeber where i saw it exaclty, but im preaty sure it was the bounty hunter firend of Zoro when he introduce de shichibukai (just before Arlong arc) who said it, but Crocodile, Moria and Hancock have crews, are they avoiding the rule? or i got it wrong???

Absolutio
November 01, 2008, 07:29 PM
This question was already discussed in many other threads, but to put it simply, in short:
There is no evidence about Shichibukai's having to depart from their crews.. It is known that Jimbei left at least part of his crew when he was entitled as a Shichibukai, but there was nothing said about it being as a direct result of him being appointed Shichibukai.
Also, it is known that some of the Shichibukais are working alone (Mihawk, Kuma, Crocodile), but it has nothing to do with them losing their crews.. May be it's even quite the opposite with the recent turn of events..
Boa Hanckock has her crew, Moria had his crew, Doflamingo (probably) has his various crews, and Blackbeard has his small crewas well.. A person's power is also considered by his crew power.. Same with the Yonkou.. Their crew is part of their strength...
And about crocodile's "crew".. That was an illegel secret organization and not a crew, so you can't consider that as one..

gao_dargon
November 01, 2008, 07:38 PM
Doflamingo does not have a crew, he had one and left it in Bellamys care, but that crew is not his anymore

paradoxe
November 01, 2008, 08:33 PM
Doflamingo does not have a crew, he had one and left it in Bellamys care, but that crew is not his anymore

How do you know that?

Doflamingo might have a couple of crews under his command, Bellamy's being just one of them, just like how he has the slave trade business under his arm but not directly managing it.

Absolutio
November 01, 2008, 09:08 PM

It was more like Bellamy was carrying Doflamingo's insignia, and he was under Doflamingo..
I doubt Doflamingo's original crew would be so weak and young.. They were just a rookie crew who got under his wings (O_o a pun O_o ).. :s

Fox666
November 02, 2008, 12:05 AM
It does non sense for the Shichibukai have no crew to begin. They exist for:
- Hunt active pirates and 10% there is a supposed commission of 10% to the WG;
- Scare another pirates;
- Balance the Three Powers (the most important);

Doflamingo puts very clear that Bellamy is under his control in his own words, and most likely is in control of various crews world-wide.

The reason why Mihawk, for example, does have no crew is because he doesn't does what he was supposed to, and the government doesn't care as long he keep the balance.

We don't know what form of deal Jimbei made, but it may have something to do with Fishman Island.

fastfonz
January 15, 2009, 03:31 PM
Any pirate is an enemy of the WG. Kuma was know as violent-kun. Doflamingo has a 340 million bounty. As most dangerous they are more probably of being offered the position of Shichibukai.

I wonder how recruiting goes... do they defeat you and then offer you a title.. or before they defeat you.. If they defeat you then the strong SN could become Shichibukai.

Fox666
January 15, 2009, 04:08 PM
I wonder how recruiting goes... do they defeat you and then offer you a title.. or before they defeat you.. If they defeat you then the strong SN could become Shichibukai.The principal objective of a Shichibukai is to cause fear on the pirates of the world and maintain the 3 Powers balance. Remember the words of Songoku when Lafitte proposed Blackbeard "If nobody know him, he won't cause fear in any pirates" (or something like that). They would offer it to Rayleigh or Shanks if they would accept (obvious it is not their behaviour to work for the WG, they wound nevet accept).

fastfonz
January 15, 2009, 04:47 PM
The principal objective of a Shichibukai is to cause fear on the pirates of the world and maintain the 3 Powers balance. Remember the words of Songoku when Lafitte proposed Blackbeard "If nobody know him, he won't cause fear in any pirates" (or something like that). They would offer it to Rayleigh or Shanks if they would accept (obvious it is not their behaviour to work for the WG, they wound nevet accept).

yeah I know that.. but I wonder if they all came to the WG and risk getting captured and offered that, how the idea got started. I mean, it will never be shown, but just wondering. I doubt they all got recruited in the same manner. My question is more geared towards someone like Law, Kid, Hawkins, there are some prett high bounties in the SN, much higher than some Shichibukais. I doubt Boa or Croc were more famous than Kid when they became Shichibukai. The bounty refers to your level of threat to the WG, but it can be somewhat correlated with fame and fear. Remember the fear and the bounty were both disproportionately high for Bellamy.

bittman
January 15, 2009, 05:13 PM
Well the WG was ready to start a discussion on Crocodile's replacement when Laffite interrupted so we never got any names of who they would like. Somehow I can't see people like Drake being offered a place, but I wouldn't put it past the marines to offer someone like Law or Kidd to further instill their fear.

That said, Luffy was never offered for two reasons:
1) Beating crocodile, which they tried to silence, is still probably secondary to the exploits of many pirates with much higher bounties at the time.
2) Since when has Luffy made people fear him with a first impression?

@fastfonz: You don't think 55 mil was worthy of Bellamy? Given his obvious cruelty I thought it was a very fitting bounty.

Fox666
January 15, 2009, 07:50 PM
yeah I know that.. but I wonder if they all came to the WG and risk getting captured and offered that, how the idea got started. I mean, it will never be shown, but just wondering. I doubt they all got recruited in the same manner. My question is more geared towards someone like Law, Kid, Hawkins, there are some prett high bounties in the SN, much higher than some Shichibukais. I doubt Boa or Croc were more famous than Kid when they became Shichibukai. The bounty refers to your level of threat to the WG, but it can be somewhat correlated with fame and fear. Remember the fear and the bounty were both disproportionately high for Bellamy.There was that Bellamy first mate Sarquis with more than 30 million, or that pirate they both kill in the bar with more than 40 million. I think that Bellamy bounty was deserved.

East Blue was the weakest of the seas. Compared to the Grand Line Don Krieg was absolute nothing. Well, Arlong action where hidden by the corrupt marine, so it may had been more than 20 million afterall.

About the Shichibukai, they may enter in contact with the pirate. Not after they capture them, or if they visit Mariejoya, but they may end up sending a temporaly pacific meeting. Or may another Shichibukai appoint a familiar pirate.

MeramEranomi
January 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
on shicibukai. they are appointed by their level of fame. high lvl bounties such as Moria's or Doflamingo's are obiviously demanding alot of respect and fear. but the WG appoints shicibukai by the fear they have over other pirates. WG appointed BB b/c he beat up Ace(whose bounty i'll imagine well over 400 mil), and that's gonna scare other pirates shitless. so the fact that Croc and Hancock was appointed shichibukai at such low bounty means that even at such low bounty many pirates fear them, as much as the likes of Kuma and Moria. so i'll say every shichibukai is actually top notch in the world, and their strength lvl should be alot higher than most of those high bounty pirates (Law, drake, hawkins).

fastfonz
January 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
yeah.. thats what Im not sure about. I think thats just underestimating Kid and others. Some of the SN might not be so strong, but some might be on par with Shichibukai. I mean, most Shichibukai (not just Croc and Boa), have lower bounties than Kid. Also, I doubt Ace had "well over" 400 million (probably 300 and something). That would imply that Whitebeard, his first mate, Ace are a lot better than three Shichibukai together. Also meaning Whitebeard alone with 16 division might be able to take on all 7 shichibukais (which they probably he can). Which I buy, but no Shichibukai has 400 million. So 400 million for Ace is a lot.

Case in point.. how if Boa had only done one campaign and had only 80 million was "feared by the world." Come on, you are only feared if you are in the news a lot and have a high bounty. I doubt Boa was as famous when she became a shichibukai as Kid and Luffy are. In fact, Kid is probably more infamous than most shichibukai when they became shichibukai.

"Watch out, Kid is here"

some SN are infamous enough to be effective Shichibukais.

NANLIT
January 16, 2009, 01:40 AM
fastfonz,
Some of the Supernovas could have been considered when Crocodile was stripped of his title; the only part of the meeting we saw was up until Laffitte's suggestion of Marshall D. Teach. However, how many of them had a bounty around or over one hundred million at that time? Luffy's was 100 million at the time. And then when Teach captured Ace, a high ranking member of the Whitebeard pirates, that alone must have blown away all the competition and he was given the position of Shichibukai. If Jinbei loses his title and/or Hancock is found out to be a traitor and stripped of her title, then the Supernovas who are free may then be considered as replacements.

As for Boa Hancock, it wasn't just her 80 million bounty that got her the Shichibukai title, it was also the fact that she was the captain of the Kuja pirates, who already at that time had an infamous reputation.
http://mangahelpers.com/s/viperismas/readonline/3723/6#apicture
So in this case, it wasn't just because of Hancock, but also the reputation of her crew.

Also, as for no Shichibukai having a former bounty of 400 million+, there is still Mihawk who has yet to have his former bounty revealed.

bittman
January 16, 2009, 08:35 AM
Don't know why it should matter. Mihawk could have a 50 beri bounty and I wouldn't feel any differently about his strength.

If you think numbers matter, then Luffy should stand some sort of chance against Kuma. As it is, if it was a numbers game, I would put Kuma at over FOUR HUNDRED BABIESMILLION!

I do like the Supernova's as possible replacements. That said, given Law and Kidd's personalities and Drake's past, I can only envision Hawkins as a replacement from the top five (i.e. 200mil+'s)

Makki
January 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
Don't know why it should matter. Mihawk could have a 50 beri bounty and I wouldn't feel any differently about his strength.

If you think numbers matter, then Luffy should stand some sort of chance against Kuma. As it is, if it was a numbers game, I would put Kuma at over FOUR HUNDRED BABIESMILLION!

I do like the Supernova's as possible replacements. That said, given Law and Kidd's personalities and Drake's past, I can only envision Hawkins as a replacement from the top five (i.e. 200mil+'s)

Maybe Hawkins for Jimbei if he is going to riot ID and doesn't fight WB. Or another one that will not really fight (hancock most likely).

Gecko Moria
January 17, 2009, 04:03 AM
To be one of the Shichibukai you need to be someone that everyone fears/respects. Oh and you have to have to listen to the WG at least a bit.

Fox666
January 17, 2009, 11:01 AM
Also meaning Whitebeard alone with 16 division might be able to take on all 7 shichibukais (which they probably he can).Well, I doubt other crewmate than Marco has Ace strength.

But there is no way Whitebeard armada alone could beat the Shichibukai, that's the meaning of the 3 Great Powers balance, Sir Crocodile dismissal alone had put it in check, so it is almost a equality in power with the Marine, Shichibukai and all 4 Yonkou toguether (but not united, they are still enemies and not an organization).

Bugzee
August 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think it's all to do with someone that everyone fears/respects. It's also what he or she can offer to the WG besides the normal Shichibukai-piracy issues/duties...which is in part what Doflamingo is like in some ways. It may also have to do with what kind of ability (not necessarily a df ability) that person has/possesses and how the WG can take advantage of it. In some cases, like Boa’s for example, one may not have the choice or freedom to make a decision upon taking the seat and thus are threatened/forced into becoming one for the sake of others, etc.

They're all tools in the hands of the WG in the end. Very few take advantage of it though. :eyeroll It’ll be interesting to see how this particular “force” of the WG ends up looking like in the latter stages of OP. Zehahaha~