PDA

View Full Version : The Impossible "What if...?" Discussion Thread

kazuma_uzumaki
December 26, 2007, 11:08 PM
Just a what if. Luffy always wanted to be a pirate even without his power

So let's say he never became rubber and still 10 years later from the start of the story he became a pirate and went to the same places he went. Would he had survived so long? Con is that of course losesthe ability to stretch but PRO is that he can swim.

Or what if he had a different devil power let's say? Would it change the story dramatically? There were many times where himself, and the crew wouldn't have lived if it were'nt for his rubber body such as when getting the the grand line (luffy prevented the ship crashing with his gomu gomu baloon), or when he was fighting eneru and his rubber body was immune to the lightning

so discuss?

Impel Down
December 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
Well, if he never had his fruit, he'd still have a lot of his physical power, all of it, really, but he'd just be kinda basic, and he may not have won all his fights as easily. A lot of his fights, really, he won because of his power, but he might have to modify his style if he never ate a DF. And he'd have lost to Enel, too.

If he had a different power, I dunno. Depends of what power.

kazuma_uzumaki
December 26, 2007, 11:20 PM
Perhaps one of the animal changing fruits?

speaking of which (off topic from my own topic>_>)
I wonder what would happen if someone ate Chopper's fruit and was human...

Impel Down
December 26, 2007, 11:23 PM
A zoan?...hmm...that might depend on what animal. If it's a basic mammal, he might just be like close-combat and a little stronger. Then again, with his long attacks, it makes him stronger too, so I dunno...

And if someone ate a human fruit, as Oda-sensei said, and they were human, they'd just become "enlightened".

kazuma_uzumaki
December 26, 2007, 11:29 PM
i wonder if they would get the same various forms choppers have.
Ah forgive me I haven't seen all of the sbs yet so i wouldn't know everything answered yet.

Absolutio
December 27, 2007, 05:34 PM
I thought about this "what if" too.. But I got to the conclusion that there's no point in thinking about it, coz luffy is based on his rubber powers. if he didn't eat the gomu gomu no mi, he wouldn't have been the luffy we know. He would've had probably a different fighting style, or a different devil fruit. It's really hard to imagine luffy without his rubber powers after 480+ chapters.. :s

Oblivion
December 27, 2007, 07:53 PM
sooner or later luffy would have to find or create some specialy ability. every pirate has his specialness. Being normal wont do much.

Imitorar
December 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
I thought about this "what if" too.. But I got to the conclusion that there's no point in thinking about it, coz luffy is based on his rubber powers. if he didn't eat the gomu gomu no mi, he wouldn't have been the luffy we know. He would've had probably a different fighting style, or a different devil fruit. It's really hard to imagine luffy without his rubber powers after 480+ chapters.. :s

I completely agree with this. Seriously, without the Gum Gum fruit, Zoro would never have joined the crew, because he would have been killed when those Marines shot at him in chapter 5. Zoro and Coby only survived that because Luffy came and blocked the bullets, which he couldn't have done without the Gum Gum fruit. It's part of Luffy's character design, and changing it would change the series almost completely.

hill_mie87
December 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
yup. Luffy is strong. Even without his DF. But he might not be as strong.
I mean, he couldn't even use gears without being a rubber man.
However, should he eats another type of fruit.
The storyline may have not change that dramatically.
I reckon, Luffy will be strong in a different way, and will use that
other way to save the crew. BTW, do either mihawk of WB ate any DF? They haven't right?

kazuma_uzumaki
December 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
It's unkown about whitebeard but it seems Mihawk has no fruit. No sign of anything extraordinary on his part other then being skilled

gao_dargon
December 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
shanks also a "normal" guy isnt he? i mean he dosnt have a dv power

Neuroff
December 30, 2007, 10:44 PM
shanks also a "normal" guy isnt he? i mean he dosnt have a dv power
Yeah, if he had a power Luffy would have drowned a long time ago.

evozoku
January 02, 2008, 07:39 PM
my first thought is 'of course he would have died by now!', because consider the times he would have died if not for being rubber (an example being in the Kuro/Ussop arc, he has part of a ship fall crush his head, but because he's rubber, he's fine. I'm sure there were other times where he was shot, unwittingly, but the bullets bounced off.) However, I think the real question would be did Luffy grow up depending too much on his powers too much to keep him safe. If he didn't grow up with the powers, he might not be so care free in his recklessness.

However, if would survive long enough to get to Skypia, Enel/Eneru would finish him off.

DutchPhoenix
January 04, 2008, 06:41 AM
if luffy wouldnt have eaten the fruit, shanks would since it was hit fruit =D

Organizized
January 04, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm quite sure he wouldn't have since he was always going on about how you can't be a pirate if you're unable to swim, and the way his whole crew reacts when Luffy eats it. They might have sold it for 100 million beli but Shanks wouldn't eat it.

henrikoez
January 04, 2008, 08:43 AM
Luffy won't be Luffy without the DF. There will be no One Piece without Luffy eat the DF. I can't imagine Luffy without his rubber power.

DutchPhoenix
January 04, 2008, 11:00 AM
shanks the rubber man

Organizized
January 04, 2008, 11:15 AM
That's just.. wrong. Really, Shanks woulda sold it for 100 million beli or so, Luffy would have to depend on Garp's training and find another special skill. Perhaps even swordsmanship, having Shanks as a role model and all. But it really is as stated on the first page, it wouldn't have been the Luffy we know. This was likely one of the first ideas Oda-sensei had about One Piece, and now at 484 chapters, you can't imagine what it would've been like.

TheBlackLotus
February 09, 2008, 03:29 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone ate Chopper's fruit and was human...

That would depend on Devil Fruits in itself. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe there has ever been an elaborate explanation of Devil Fruits outside of the fact it gives the one who eats it a supernatural power of sorts, you can only eat 1, and only 1 person could have eaten a specific fruit. We still don't know their exact origin, or how they come to be as Devil Fruits or really some of those things. For all we know the Huma Huma no Mi could "grow" (assuming these fruits grow similar to regular fruits) near places where a human wouldn't find it.

Though perhaps it would give them superhuman strength through transformations similar to chopper's, however we still don't know everything about the devil fruits other than a few critical things that have been explained.

Imitorar
February 09, 2008, 10:59 PM
Actually, it would make them become "enlightened". So sayeth the SBS for volume 20. (http://arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/20)

lordHokage
February 14, 2008, 09:45 AM
Without the Gomu Gomu no Mi, Captain Monkey D. Luffy is natural strong, he inherited strong genes from his family. I believe that the devil fruit only enhanced Luffy’s powerful abilities to do a little bit more. :D

marte1980
March 17, 2008, 03:59 AM
What would happen if Luffy ate a Rumbel ball? Maybe it would be effective for him too and help him to discover other forms of his devil fruit or it wouldn't have any effect on him? Would it be helpful to fight against Logia users? Do you think that it may happen? Actually I'm quite tired by people like Smoker, not because he's an annoying character, but I want to see Luffy clearly defeating him at this point. A Rumbel ball may do the trick and help him find more Gear forms or will Luffy discover new forms by himself?

Edit thread title.

Akainu
March 17, 2008, 05:09 AM
I don't think it would affect luffy or any other paramecian or logian.
So either rumble balls are something that works for chopper only (kinda like a placebo that sets his powers free) or it affects other zoans too.
Basically - even if luffy could ever eat one, which is highly likely as he eats almost everything when hungry - I doubt it will help him.

DutchPhoenix
March 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
what if lucci ate one?

Superman
March 17, 2008, 10:54 AM
Thats a good question! Lucci and a Rumbel Ball.
Which forms could he do i dont have an idea exept for arm point!

But this is a nice one.

Mugiwara_no_Jack
March 18, 2008, 05:39 AM
Rumble Balls are (like Chopper somewhere explains) just for Zoan types. You can discover four new forms for transformation ... so other Zoan type user probably can use them but no Logia or Paramecia.

marte1980
March 18, 2008, 12:49 PM
Rumble Balls are (like Chopper somewhere explains) just for Zoan types. You can discover four new forms for transformation ... so other Zoan type user probably can use them but no Logia or Paramecia.
Chopper never said that they are just for Zoan, it may be like that, but he never said that.

Wale
March 18, 2008, 12:55 PM
Chopper never said that they are just for Zoan, it may be like that, but he never said that.

But he said, that he made them for himself. So if somebody else would ate it, then his body would react in some other way.

marte1980
March 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
But he said, that he made them for himself. So if somebody else would ate it, then his body would react in some other way.
Yes, that's the point of this thread. What would happen if he ate it.

Akainu
March 19, 2008, 01:33 AM
well then I guess he would complain about still being hungry ^^

DutchPhoenix
March 19, 2008, 07:19 AM
monster lucci form ftw

DutchPhoenix
April 10, 2008, 06:05 AM
would that be overpowered? :eyeroll

Akainu
April 10, 2008, 06:49 AM
lucci with buggy's fruit instead of his own? give me some time to imagine how all those attacks would look like ^^ but I wouldn't call it overpowered ... zoans have some kind of physical strength that bucci (nice huh?^^) wouldn't have.

the other possibility... well you know about 2 fruits and so on ... though I think vegapunk will find a solution for that...

Anyarel
April 10, 2008, 07:52 AM
If Luffy never had eaten his DF, I think he could have become a Rokushiki user and maybe he could have learn to use swords and/or guns.
Without his DF, I think he would only be as powerful as Sanji if he only used his punches (and mastered the art of punching as well as Sanji masters the art of kicking) and it wouldn't be enough to become the Pirate King.
So mastering the six forms of Rokushiki would be the best option.
But still, I prefer the true Luffy with his great Gomu Gomu no mi. =P

lelouch
April 10, 2008, 12:29 PM
He would be just as strong, though using a different style of fighting.

kkck
April 10, 2008, 12:46 PM
Well, if he had buggy's fruit instead of his own he would be able to attack in many diferent ways. For example he could send his arms to use shigan on oponents blindspot, or have his legs use soru without the rest of his body, or send his legs flying to use ryankaku from everywere. Also he would be inmune to swors and many other weapons.
His fighting stile would be "BARA BARA ROKUSHIKI". Also due to his diferent body properties he would probably be able to use kami-e in a diferent way. Buggy's fruit is awesome, too bad an idiot like him got it. I actually think lucci might have been better of with buggy's fruit.

lelouch
April 10, 2008, 06:13 PM
What if Aokiji had Ace's fruit
What if Ace had Aokiji's fruit
What if Crocodile had Enel's fruit
What if Enel had Crocodile's fruit
What if Kuma had Perona's fruit
What if Perona had Kuma's fruit
What if Buggy had Smoker's fruit
What if Smoker had Mr1's fruit

What if ..this thread was never made ..

Luckas
April 10, 2008, 06:36 PM
People are entitled to have their opinion.
It is a moderator job to decide if a thread is within the forum rules or not, then if you are not satisfied you can use the report button and explain your complain, you can also send a PM to either a moderator or a global moderator or an admin, they are listed here (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84).

Wale
April 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
Well.. he could use shigan as a stronger ability, with Buggy's DF.. :D

Razh
April 14, 2008, 12:21 PM
If Lucci had Buggy's fruit, then Buggy wouldn't have it, and Zoro would have sliced him in half right away.

weixiaobao
April 15, 2008, 06:03 PM
well i don't remember all the name of his attacks but his finger bullets would really be like super duper bullets and can attack with all of his steel body parts..

lordHokage
April 21, 2008, 08:48 AM
Buggy's bounty is 15,000,000 belli, so his fruit powers abilities is not all that great. If Lucci had his awesome powers, he would have easily defeated Monkey D. Luffy. :D

Razh
April 21, 2008, 09:11 AM
Buggy's bounty is 15,000,000 belli, so his fruit powers abilities is not all that great. If Lucci had his awesome powers, he would have easily defeated Monkey D. Luffy. :D

Buggy's bounty WAS 15,000,000 B. Do you really think he just peacefully sails after Luffy, without causing any trouble?
Well, I sure as hell am going to be dissapointed if his bounty remains the same.

And are you saying that BB's powers are not that great either? Because he has 0 B.;)

lordHokage
April 22, 2008, 08:49 AM
Buggy's bounty WAS 15,000,000 B. Do you really think he just peacefully sails after Luffy, without causing any trouble?
Well, I sure as hell am going to be dissapointed if his bounty remains the same.

And are you saying that BB's powers are not that great either? Because he has 0 B.;)

You tell me. Scary Usopp’s bounty is 30,000,000 B., and not so strong Nami’s bounty is 16,000,000 B. :blink

Razh
April 22, 2008, 01:46 PM
Usopp is deadly from distance. And burning the WG flag is the main reason why it's so high.
Of course, Usopp would probably pawn Buggy from a distance, but Buggy would eat him in close fighting.
Nami also has a gadget that gives her cool abillities. Like zapping 20 or so people at the same time. She is skilled, but she isn't much of a fighter.
Someone like Buggy who used to be on Roger's crew is deffinetly stronger than that.
I kinda hope Oda will explain what happened to Buggy in all those years. After all, he is his favourite villain. Maybe he just had one streak of bad luck after another, like we have seen.
Where is he dammit?

lordHokage
April 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
Usopp is deadly from distance. And burning the WG flag is the main reason why it's so high.
Of course, Usopp would probably pawn Buggy from a distance, but Buggy would eat him in close fighting.
Nami also has a gadget that gives her cool abillities. Like zapping 20 or so people at the same time. She is skilled, but she isn't much of a fighter.
Someone like Buggy who used to be on Roger's crew is deffinetly stronger than that.
I kinda hope Oda will explain what happened to Buggy in all those years. After all, he is his favourite villain. Maybe he just had one streak of bad luck after another, like we have seen.
Where is he dammit?

I agree with you that Oda-sama has a lot to explain why Buggy's bounty is so low and Shanks’s bounty is so high. As for his fruit, it doesn't go well with Rob Lucci's personality. :blink

bittman
April 28, 2008, 05:15 AM
Hahahahaha

Lucci would SUCK with buggy's fruit IMO. Why? His power and speed would be severely hindered by plotting attacks. It's not like he would be able to Soru each finger or possibly even Shingan it while it's away from the host. Think about it, buggy's scattered pieces were not used for punching but more stabbing and catching.

A tactical DF would not work with a power person. Imagine Luffy with buggy's fruit for similiar consequences...