PDA

View Full Version : How the DF are created?

Oblivion
December 30, 2007, 10:13 PM
do you think oda will show how the DF is created, or where the tree rsides that grows them, or are normal fruits 'poisoned'? and where are they found, do the lie around randomly or grow randomly on trees? (poison theory)

(or has he already?)

Changed the thread title for easily comprehension.

Inkovic
December 30, 2007, 10:40 PM
I personally believe that Devil Fruits were created by the individuals in the Blank Century.

Part of some kind of hidden technology that created powerful fruits.

Impel Down
December 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
Aren't the DFs just regular fruits "influenced" by the "Sea Devil"? Therefore, they don't grow anywhere.

Oblivion
December 30, 2007, 10:51 PM
Aren't the DFs just regular fruits "influenced" by the "Sea Devil"? Therefore, they don't grow anywhere.

even if they are so, it'd be nice if oda could explain their existance further. they are one of the main stuff in the manga.
as to why did sea devil influenced them, or are there other stuff the sea devil has to do with.

maybe we'll hear of the sea devil in the mermaid arc

Impel Down
December 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well, the "Sea Devil" is like a "divine" being, so they probably won't go into more detail about him...

It's like going into to detail about God in D. Gray-man or something.

Oblivion
December 30, 2007, 11:09 PM
couldnt the sea devil something like Davy Jones??

(never read D.Gray Man, maybe i'll give it a try once i finish with all the other mangas)

Inkovic
December 30, 2007, 11:28 PM
couldnt the sea devil something like Davy Jones??

(never read D.Gray Man, maybe i'll give it a try once i finish with all the other mangas)

Just avoid the anime as much as humanly possible

Oblivion
December 31, 2007, 12:20 AM
Just avoid the anime as much as humanly possible

i always prefer the original, anime generally suck if they are based on mangas (cowboy bebop= great, DBZ=suckness)

anyway, i just read that the Davy Fight does base on Dave Jones. so such a thing like Davy Jones can (and probably does) exists (well even skypia exists so why not davy?)

Umbra Wolf
December 31, 2007, 08:05 AM
anyway, i just read that the Davy Fight does base on Dave Jones. so such a thing like Davy Jones can (and probably does) exists (well even skypia exists so why not davy?)
But Skypia wasn't heaven or paradise like people imagine it. Skypia was "just" a place above the ordinary seas and countries populated by ordinary people. It wasn't in any way religious or supernatural. it wasn't explained how people came up there and how they can live up in the sky but these matters were not of importance. The only extra-ordinary things up there was a guy with an extreme powerful DF and the inhabitants who had wings on their backs. But these were plot-devices / cultural references and therefore not supernatural either.

People in the world of One Piece seems to be kind of superstitious but none of their beliefs turned out to be real (e.g. "God" was a Devil Fruit-User).
For that reason I tend to believe that we will get a "rational" (I mean logical in the world and history of the story itself) for the Dfs. Possibly a weapon invented by the ancient kingdom maybe the source of the DFs is the One Piece itself. We don't know it. Yet.

gao_dargon
December 31, 2007, 05:24 PM
if i remeber correctly DF are only one, but what happend when de user dies? does the frut grow again? Ej. right now theres no gum gum fruit since Luffy eat it, but when he dies? the fruit will grow again?

Oblivion
December 31, 2007, 09:04 PM
But Skypia wasn't heaven or paradise like people imagine it. Skypia was "just" a place above the ordinary seas and countries populated by ordinary people. It wasn't in any way religious or supernatural. it wasn't explained how people came up there and how they can live up in the sky but these matters were not of importance. The only extra-ordinary things up there was a guy with an extreme powerful DF and the inhabitants who had wings on their backs. But these were plot-devices / cultural references and therefore not supernatural either.

i meant if oda can make a sky island happen then why not something supernatural. the klabauterman is something supernatural after all

Absolutio
January 01, 2008, 02:19 AM
It was more or less speculated that the Skypians actually came from the moon (if you want, look at all of Enel's great speace journey, and see the people with wings there).

if i remeber correctly DF are only one, but what happend when de user dies? does the frut grow again? Ej. right now theres no gum gum fruit since Luffy eat it, but when he dies? the fruit will grow again?

I assume so.

i meant if oda can make a sky island happen then why not something supernatural. the klabauterman is something supernatural after all
There are many things "supernatural" in One Piece, but most of them are based on logical stuffs or this world's "fairy tells". The Klabauterman is actually a real-world sailors belief that the ship actually have a spirit, and that's why they made all kinds of traditions and what not.

My assumption is that the devil fruits grow on a special ancient tree, that's probably in Raftel or near it. A tree so big that his roots stretch down to the ocean's bottom itself. Or something of that sorts. And because its roots are in the sea water, that's why the fruits gets those effects and weakness to sea water (or something like that.. :P).

Umbra Wolf
January 01, 2008, 12:13 PM
There are many things "supernatural" in One Piece, but most of them are based on logical stuffs or this world's "fairy tales".
That's what I intended to say.:)

My assumption is that the devil fruits grow on a special ancient tree, that's probably in Raftel or near it. A tree so big that his roots stretch down to the ocean's bottom itself. Or something of that sorts. And because its roots are in the sea water, that's why the fruits gets those effects and weakness to sea water (or something like that.. :P).
I totally agree and I want to add that maybe fruits blossom pretty high at this huge tree and they fell down in the water. Streams can now transport the fruit in any corner of the planet. So that's why anywhere seems to be one or two Devil Fruit Users.
And I also go with the thought that if someone eat a Df then no other fruit with the same power will exist until the current user dies. So you can possibly figure out which fruit offers which power (BlackBeard's DF-catalogue).

gao_dargon
January 01, 2008, 01:41 PM
well, at least were are sure there are no 2 df of the same, thats why BB had to get that one, and also thats why sanji was so mad with absalom

Oblivion
January 01, 2008, 08:00 PM
so how did someone write a DF catalogue. did asked the ppl how they looked like (quite unlikly) or did you saw the source of them. if the 2nd is really true, then we might see the DF source after all. nothing in this manga is mentioned without a later explanation.

Absolutio
January 01, 2008, 09:36 PM
There was a question about this in the SBS and Oda said that "all will be revealed" eventually.
[hr]
found this: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/19/14/

Impel Down
January 01, 2008, 10:20 PM
My theory: Vegapunk knows it all. He's already done most of the crazy science stuff in OP besides Franky.

Vegapunk's also written most of the research for the MHQ on DF's, Sea Kings, Sea Stones, and other stuff. Although, Sanji and BB said that they had the catalogue on DFs as well, and I'm thinking that if Vegapunk wrote it, only the WG and the MHQ would have it, so maybe that kind of knowledge has been around for hundreds of years.

Sanji also made it sound like you only get one chance at a DF, since Absalom ate the Suke Suke no mi.

kazuma_uzumaki
January 01, 2008, 10:42 PM
someone just got a magic marker, got a bunch of fruit, drew swirls on all of them, BUT the magic marker was really magic thus giving them power... :D

Impel Down
January 01, 2008, 10:59 PM
^ Going with that theory:

A man named Eiichiro Oda invented a world where's there magical fruit that give people powers. He was then going to explain how this is, but decided it was more fun for people on the internet to be frustrated.

Absolutio
January 02, 2008, 10:51 AM
lol...
Maybe even Vegapunk doesn't know how are DF's created. And that will also be a good nakama for the Strawhats.. A scientist who's an aquientance (i'm pretty sure i mispelled it) of Vegapunk, on his mission to find the true explenation about the DFs, and for that he needs a strong crew that will take him to Raftel, and for that he chose the Strawhats! :O (That way, lots of things will be upgraded (upgraded franky, maybe even the dock system (specially the number 4 one will be finished, and the clima tact, rumble ball, etc.).

Imitorar
January 02, 2008, 11:17 AM
Seeing as Vegapunk works for the MARINES, I doubt he would ever join the Straw Hats. However, they probably will meet him or someone who knows about all of his discoveries eventually, so as to provide more information about the Devil Fruits, and Seastone, and things like that. But discussions about Vegapunk joining the Straw Hats or not don't belong in this thread. Everyone, please stay on topic.

Impel Down
January 02, 2008, 11:19 AM
SHs already have 2 1/2 scientists. They don't need anymore.

And it seems that Vegapunk knows more about how the DFs work, energy-wise, with mutation, so he seems to understand them and can improve them, but as to their origins, he might not know because of his scientific standpoint. Really, his only theory can be Sea Energy affecting them, which goes back to the whole "Sea Devil" thing.

Razh
January 02, 2008, 06:04 PM
There was a question about this in the SBS and Oda said that "all will be revealed" eventually.

I remeber that. So, it's either going to be a very important part of the story or he hasn't come up with it himself...
Makes you wonder what he had in mind when he started the manga. For example, did he plan to give Luffy Gear 2 abillity when he decided it's going to be a rubber guy, or did he just get a great idea all of a sudden and said to himself: "Oda, you're a genius!"

Now about the origins of the DF. There's too much possible scenarios. I think it's all connected in that world. DF, weird looking mutant animals, confusing natural occurences... It's almost as if someone made a playground of the whole world. Maybe the unknown civilization was more advanced than it seems. I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out.

Absolutio
January 02, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Oda thought of the DFs' origin since the start, and even before. It's something pretty major to not come up with, and he just waits till he'll reveal it. Kind of like Yondaime being Naruto's father, but Kishi wait to reveal it. The mangakas think of those stuffs since the beginning.

DutchPhoenix
January 02, 2008, 07:14 PM
it was stated that luffy's fruit grows 1 time each 50 years

Absolutio
January 02, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't, but I might be mistaken. Would you mind looking for this statement up? If you can't find it, then I'm right. That's your motivation - prove me wrong.. :D

Imitorar
January 03, 2008, 12:02 AM
it was stated that luffy's fruit grows 1 time each 50 years

No, that was in Romance Dawn Version 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_Dawn#.22Romance_Dawn.2C.22_Version_1). In that version, there were no "Devil Fruits". Just the "Gum Gum Fruit", which grew on a tree that blossomed only once every fifty years. But that was a prototype for One Piece, and while it does share some similarities with One Piece, both in setting, characters, and themes, it is NOT One Piece canon, and therefore, should not be taken as a valid proof as to the origins of Devil Fruits.

Absolutio
January 03, 2008, 04:34 PM
...Which means I'm right... YEY!
I don't think I've read the whole romance dawn verisions.. Only the one with the Magician pirate captain.. :S Anyways, Getting off topic so I'll stop.

DutchPhoenix
January 04, 2008, 06:30 AM
...Which means I'm right... YEY!
I don't think I've read the whole romance dawn verisions.. Only the one with the Magician pirate captain.. :S Anyways, Getting off topic so I'll stop.

whats ur version then where ur right with? o_0

Absolutio
January 04, 2008, 08:21 AM
The ver. I've read has nothing to do with it.. I was right about the thing with the gomu gomu fruit not growing up every 50 years or so.. :s
Well, I didn't know that it was stated in romance dawn. Anyways, DFs creation are still in a complete mystery.