PDA

View Full Version : Shounen One Piece

Mooncrow
January 03, 2008, 02:17 PM
Haha, the goal for this section is mostly to provide reviews for lesser-known manga, but I couldn't help but start with my favorite :D

Title: One Piece
Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Author/Artist: Eiichiro Oda
Publication: Weekly Shonen Jump
Start Date: August 4, 1997
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 484
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 484

General Overview: Luffy, a young boy, travels the world in his goal of obtaining the legendary treasure "One Piece" and becoming the Pirate King. Along the way, he forms his crew of of outlandish and memorable characters, as they each strive for their own dream. The plot turns are intense and the stakes gradually rise as the crew realizes that not everything in the world is what it seems.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/art.jpg
Art: 8
The character designs are simple, yet unique. Oda favors a more humorous style over a realistic one, but the results are well worth seeing. For a weekly shonen series, the detail level is fairly high, and remarkably consistent.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/plot.jpg
Plot: 10
After more than 10 years of publication, Oda has made his reputation as a master story-teller. Equally adept at moving his readers from laughter to tears, he has slowly developed a richly complex world, as he has moved from the small-scale to the large. The plot is unexpected, full of twists and surprises, yet nothing feels contrived or forced.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/characters.jpg
Characters: 10
One Piece has a very large cast of well-detailed, sympathetic characters. Each has a rich background that weaves well into the over-all story. These backgrounds provide excellent springboards for dynamic character development that feels very organic; there are very few "watch me monologue about how I just developed" moments, rather the characters slowly grow in a way that feels very believable.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/theme.jpg
Themes: 10
As expected from a shonen title, the themes of "friendship" and "working hard for your dreams" are well-represented in One Piece. However, they are presented as well as they have ever been done. Also, there are several other, more subtle themes present throughout the series. "Redemption", "healing from tragedy", "worthwhile sacrifice", to name a few. All are well done and consistent.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/originality.jpg
Originality: 10
While One Piece may owe a lot to Akira Toriyama for its initial inspiration, it truly stands on its own in execution. Oda-sensei has given us a world that is truly unique and refreshing.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/overall.jpg
Overall: 10
If you haven't picked up on it by now, I love One Piece :D I could go on and on about all the things that make it great, but I just leave you with this: if you haven't read it, do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. If you can make it past the first 100 chapters without falling in love with it, I'll offer a public apology^^

Gosh, I sound like a total One Piece fanboy, don't I? I apologize, I'll try to keep the tone more objective in my future reviews, but for me, One Piece is something unique and amazing.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample3.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample4.jpg

Want more discussion on One Piece? Go here:
One Piece Discussion Boards (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)

ryusuke_
January 04, 2008, 04:35 PM
Good review, though I would have given more points at the Art :P

gdupninja
January 04, 2008, 04:41 PM
I agree, Onepiece should get all 10's. Well as you can see im a little biased but good review man.

Helltroll
January 04, 2008, 05:12 PM
A short and well-made review, that goes straight to the point.
10/10
Nothing more to say.

Mooncrow
January 04, 2008, 05:14 PM
^^ from an objective point of view, I really can't justify giving OP a higher art score :p While I love Oda's drawing style, technically it isn't that super-amazing that would deserve a 10. 10's in any category will be pretty rare in my reviews though; 8-9 is still in the "very very good" range :D

Thanks for your feedback though, keep it coming!

gdupninja
January 04, 2008, 05:20 PM
You have point but I love all the colors and how they are used. You dont see many green afros or super brightly colored ships in every manga.

Helltroll
January 04, 2008, 05:20 PM
yes, a 10 for art would be overrated (considering some seinen series like hellsing as standart), but it's indeed enjoyable.

edit: gdupninja: something like this is considered a spoiler and well...it belongs more into the category orginality.

Musashi_Keiji
January 05, 2008, 12:37 AM
About the art score i'll say this much. Considering it is a weekly shounen manga it is very very good art. very unique. But yes compared to man seinen manga the art isn't all that. 8 i think is an appropriate objective score.

r3born
January 05, 2008, 09:26 AM
Great review and I agree 100% with the score~

One Piece is a masterpiece ^_^

secretAZNman19
January 05, 2008, 04:26 PM
totally agree. It's hard to judge the art in one piece. it depends on wat u like. i woulda given more because it's just so unique has a surprising amount of detail which i feel is lacking from bleach, though bleach is still kool. wat kinda art would u say deserves a 10 outta 10?

Obxist
January 06, 2008, 10:40 AM
great review :D

i like one piece because the originality of the story :D ... they got a goal which is to find "One Piece" ... and to reach that they have to go through many adventures... yeah it is ordinary line story but to create such an idea called "One Piece" is no ordinary...
The plot also the best... always get the right timing...

Overall : 9.7
A must read manga , a masterpiece and the best among main stream..

juUnior
January 07, 2008, 08:46 AM
Review, which inspired me to write my own on "Naruto" <3
Overall - super language, sentences, information without spoilers and so well written to maybe inpire new people to read OP = just the best review here right now <even if it's exxagerated, and not objective :p> Great review Mooncrow :D You should be a moderator of this section ^^

To the scores - I think in some aspects are too high. In my opinion, the 'plot' would have had 8,5/10 - it's really well written and all, but it doeasn't mean I love it :p And 'themes' category I would give 8/9 maybe - not something spectacular <like You said: shonen title huh xP>
Once again really good work ^^

weixiaobao
January 07, 2008, 07:46 PM
yeah i agree Oda is a master story teller too.... :worship one piece

sahugani
January 08, 2008, 04:53 AM
no question. one piece is simply amazing on a level that is beyond words. there are quite a few people i know who refuse to read it based on their distaste for the art alone (which i myself love and would give a 10) but they don't know what they're missing

Dark-Kaomi
January 08, 2008, 06:01 PM
As of right now I am absolutely obsessed with this series. It's fantastic and very original. The strong connection of friendship is my favorite part and I love it's mix of humor with action. It's beautiful and anyone can get into it. Oda is an amazing artist and author and I am so glad he decided to create this series. Go Straw Hats!

Amatersu
January 11, 2008, 01:20 AM
I actually don't like the plot too much. I feel that after 484 chapters we'd know a bit more about the characters as well as the world. I agree, I do like how he handles the progression in the story, but would definitely appreciate more back story added in. The Thriller Bark arc seemed useless to me, as it just injected more humor into the series. Damn it, I want backstory! =D

Dark-Kaomi
January 11, 2008, 02:03 AM
I actually don't like the plot too much. I feel that after 484 chapters we'd know a bit more about the characters as well as the world. I agree, I do like how he handles the progression in the story, but would definitely appreciate more back story added in. The Thriller Bark arc seemed useless to me, as it just injected more humor into the series. Damn it, I want backstory! =D

I think the whole point was a bit of plot progression and team cooperation. I believe this is the first fight where you see everyone fighting the same guy. It's pretty cool in my opinion. Plus, I just really like Brook.

Amatersu
January 11, 2008, 04:02 AM
Well yeah, but they could've done that against...Brook I guess(paw man). A bit of "where are we" at the beginning, then team fight against him. Iono if Skeleton guy is gonna become a nakama, that's all I can see for him at this point.

Mooncrow
January 11, 2008, 02:01 PM
please remember that this is a spoiler-free forum =) There are lots of other good places to discuss the plot :D

Inkovic
January 12, 2008, 12:12 PM
Easily the best shonen manga with the best storyline with lovable characters.
The whole series is brilliant. It might of become slightly predictable as of late however Oda has the series planned so the story flows coherently.

Easily 10/10

OZ-900
January 28, 2008, 05:51 AM
i was surprised when i saw your name at the front page Moon
i see you've written quite a few reviews...thx for that Moon :D
this should help people discover great mangas out there

back to topic...OnePiece is 100/10.........lol
it does start alil slow but it gets DAMN AWESOME after that...
very good story-telling, unexpectable plot, and epic stories...
hail Oda the Mangaka God :D

vick86
February 02, 2008, 04:27 PM
A short review (not really judging anything but just my opinion): A longstanding shonen cliche is the fact that the main character has to beat up a stronger badguys in every arc and One Piece follows this to the letter but it's within these confines that it shines through it's excellent set of characters from the main players to the bit characters (All of whom are very different but no less interesting or enjoyable) and it's storytelling which can be both epic and personal sometimes both at the same time.

In my opinion One Piece is the best shonen ever made however it can easily turn off new readers by its crazy art style and the fact that the beginning isn't really that great instead like fine wine One Piece gets better with age.

The thing that really sets One Piece apart from series likeNaruto or Dragonball is that it doesn't go all action after 200 chapters forgetting the secondary (minor) characters and the humor in the process. The real accomplishment is the fact that after nearly 500 chapters One Piece has lost none of it's charm and continues to amaze and enterain us with great characters, great storytelling and it's brilliant mix of action, humor and drama. In other words everything you could possible want from a shonen.

If there is one complaint one can have of the series besides the art style and it's weaker beginning it's that Oda may spend too much time telling stories and developing characters that while being great don't really matter in the long run and/or the main plot but that's nitpicking.

OhDearMoshe
February 23, 2008, 04:30 PM
Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!

redcometfm
February 25, 2008, 08:37 PM
Surprisingly I did not fall in love with it within 100 chapters. I made it to 305 and then quit. It just didn't seem to do much for me. I do remember there where a few bits I did like a lot however and so I am going to pick this series up once again after reading this chapter to see if I can really get into it!

I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.

OhDearMoshe
February 26, 2008, 04:42 AM
I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.

It is Shonen. Anyway I finished One Piece from where I was and I will offer my own review for this soon (can't do it now).

fluke32
March 07, 2008, 04:17 AM
I did the same, only I quit around 114. I...just couldnt stand it anymore, and this was after trying to read it/giving it a chance three times. Such childish and generally stupid dialogue. Every arc was like "No! Dont fight him! Youre gonna die!!!!!" "I must!" "No!~~~" and just repeat that dialogue exchange over 7 chapters every other page. And the plot didn't seem to do anything. My friends bashed me for not going until Skypeia or Water 7 or whatever upcoming arc it was where they go with the princess to her homeland but I just couldnt do it anymore, it was just too childish for me. Let alone the fact that the art itself was repugnant.

Stupid characters save one or two, a few cool ideas, a silly plot and repulsive art just killed it for me. Also felt like the author was just continually pulling ideas out of his ass, especially from what my friends told me of the later arcs.

I even tried again with one of the recent chapters (484?) and it still turned me off. I hate to say it, but I feel this manga just isn't meant for my age. To be even more honest, I feel like it was meant for 4 year olds.I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)

redcometfm
March 07, 2008, 04:06 PM
I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinions but um, dude... DUH! It was meant to be silly in the first place since its genre specifically says COMEDY! (Mooncrow, you forgot to mention the fact that it's supposed to be a comedy) Of course it has to be silly, stupid, childish, and repetitive, if not, how else is it suppose to make anyone, if not everyone, laugh?!? And uh, dude, you're 19, and you don't think a comedy is supposed to be comic?

Age group isn't the target of this manga, it's just taste, and yours simply didn't like comedy as it seems. The manga was meant for people who likes to relieve their stress and have something to feel good about. Although the plot sometimes deviate to some melodramatics. it is still true to it's goal of letting the readers read, see and experience heart warming moments, feelings, and emotions.

This manga is a 10/10 without a doubt. You just can't say that the manga isn't a good read especially if it does it's job so well for almost over 11 years already. (This also should contradict redcometfm's age group target argument if he's really 19.)

No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.

Mooncrow
March 07, 2008, 05:49 PM
Enough, redcomet. Kindly go read the rules of both this forum and this specific sub-forum. Then re-read them. Then come back here and edit your posts. (And I do include your HxH comments as well).

Keep it civil, or keep it on another forum.

fluke32
March 07, 2008, 10:03 PM
No no no. You see, Dragonball (which One Piece badly tries to emulate) is funny. Truly hilarious. One Piece is not. It is pure, stupid humor. It's humor is equivalent to that of a man who's picked up randomly off the streets and is forced to do a stand up comedy routine and tries to be funny by spewing out the first random things that come to mind. Its stupid. And it's quite possibly one of the worst mangas I've ever read. It's only done so well because of the numerous shallow people who enjoy it as well as the massive (yet predictable) children audience it amasses.
That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.

redcometfm
March 07, 2008, 11:33 PM
That was a very rude comment man. You absolutely don't want to abuse the anonymity of the internet to bash manga enthusiasts because it might come back right at you.

Surprisingly enough, even though you knew how comical Dragon Ball was, I think you're very new to japanese manga culture. Dude, this style that One Piece used is a new form of humor created by the mangaka with originality in mind and has always revolved around the idea of making readers say "What the hell are these guys thinking!?!" when they see the dialog of the characters 11 years ago. This is One Piece's original style that they created and other mangas are now employing as well. (i.e. Fairy Tail) To throw the original style of the manga is like making it look like dragon ball. One Piece is not a rip off of Dragon Ball at all. The plots, themes, and character development are totally different. Dragon ball was about a boy's who's dream is to become the strongest martial artist, while One Piece was about a boy who dreams to be a strong Pirate that has lots of power and strong allies. Case in point is that Son Goku's about one's self and Luffy's is about him and nakamas. See the difference?

Also, speaking of Dragon Ball, its humor is totally different. Sure both main characters are listless, dumb, and ignoramuses, but the humor presented are different. Dragon Ball's humor is based on how stupid the a character "superficially looks" in the story while One Piece's humor depends on how "simple-minded" the characters are in its story.

P.S.
If you're gonna use other mangas as examples please be certain of what you're gonna say, because it will divulge how much you really know about manga. ATM, you're lacking in japanese manga culture exposure.

Emulate, not copy. Knowing definitions help in arguments.
Dragonball also involved Goku growing stronger to protect his friends, family and even enemies.
Hahaha I believe I have quite a good amount of japanese & manga culture exposure.
And if you want to go for those kinds of quips, you shouldn't argue with a filmmaker who's studied storytelling to the extreme and studies the great directors like Kurosawa. So if I do in fact lack japanese culture exposure, you lack credentials to even analyze and judge the quality of storytelling of this manga or even stories/storytelling in general.

I'd like to end this now before I get banned (even if you think I'm using a cop-out argument, I dont care) so let's leave it at that.

fluke32
March 08, 2008, 12:40 PM
Emulate, not copy. Knowing definitions help in arguments.
Dragonball also involved Goku growing stronger to protect his friends, family and even enemies.
Hahaha I believe I have quite a good amount of japanese & manga culture exposure.
And if you want to go for those kinds of quips, you shouldn't argue with a filmmaker who's studied storytelling to the extreme and studies the great directors like Kurosawa. So if I do in fact lack japanese culture exposure, you lack credentials to even analyze and judge the quality of storytelling of this manga or even stories/storytelling in general.

I'd like to end this now before I get banned (even if you think I'm using a cop-out argument, I dont care) so let's leave it at that.Dude, I told you not to expose yourself too much and you just did.

Film and Manga are two different things. Film captures motion that is harder to represent in ink and paper, thus the storytelling will be different. What you're trying to compare are two different types of storytelling and don't tell me that it's the same anywhere coz that would only show how narrow-minded you are..

And if you're gonna be attacking my background in Education, Psychology, Multimedia, and Computer Science, then you better think twice about it because when it comes to research, no one can outdo a one-time Research Methodologies Teacher like me.

Also, if you think I don't know the name Kurosawa simply because he's the a rare great japanese artist on the top of youre head in your field of expertise, then shame on you. Even a manga enthusiast like me know the name of the director of Seven Samurai. The film which later became was the main influence for the anime "Samurai Seven." You should have used someone harder like Tetsuji Takechi.

Like I said, you're exposure to the culture is lacking if even someone like me who doesn't watch TV too often, has no time to browse the internet too often, don't have access to any manga published, and only can depend on the 2 hour breaks to download scanlations to be able to read manga knows the who's who of other fields besides manga in japan.

Dragonball didn't have Goku run around to rescue his love ones. Those type of scenarios only happened when the story went into Dragon Ball Z (starting from Raditz Arc) where as One Piece practically kept having Luffy running around to save his friends/newly found friends right from the beginning. Also, Dragon Ball shows how an individual becomes stronger and stronger as time passes as the main plot whereas One Piece shows a whole entire group becoming stronger every passing moment. Those are the main differences you are trying to say One Piece is "emulating", as you put it, that really isn't.

Also, you're co-notating my earlier post in the wrong way as well. You may have been exposed to japanese culture but that wasn't the point. The point was you didn't understand the way japanese humor worked in japanese culture, hence you lack exposure to it.

diesirea~
January 02, 2009, 01:21 PM
That's the seal of a great writer. Oda planned his manga from the very start to the end.

redcometfm
January 03, 2009, 06:11 PM
Any writer can do that. Doesnt mean their material is any good.

Onomatopoeia
January 03, 2009, 09:07 PM
Any writer can do that. Doesnt mean their material is any good.

Except many can't. Case and Point: Bleach and while not Toriyma's fault Dragonball too.

It's a plus and clearly shows that he has an idea of where he plans to go.

redcometfm
January 04, 2009, 12:28 PM
Except many can't. Case and Point: Bleach and while not Toriyma's fault Dragonball too.

It's a plus and clearly shows that he has an idea of where he plans to go.

Bleach? Have you not read the manga up to this point as a whole? Its pretty obvious that some grand level of planning was done, even if it wasnt panels or dialogue written ahead of time.
Toriyama did a good job of keeping Dragonball entertaining and epic after his intended ending point.

Obviously youre a huge (aka biased) fan of OP who probably thinks its the best manga ever so its not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "great".

Onomatopoeia
January 04, 2009, 04:30 PM
Bleach? Have you not read the manga up to this point as a whole? Its pretty obvious that some grand level of planning was done, even if it wasnt panels or dialogue written ahead of time.
Toriyama did a good job of keeping Dragonball entertaining and epic after his intended ending point.

Obviously youre a huge (aka biased) fan of OP who probably thinks its the best manga ever so its not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "great".

No...it's not.

Did you read the 20 chapters of fodder Fraccion fights that were obviously trying to stall on the plot? Did you read how Aizen threw away Orihime's power because it wasn't going anywhere? Did you forget "Hell"? Etc. Etc.

Yes I"m biased it's not like it's an insult. Your biased too "thus it's not even worth arguing with you since youll probably find numerous excuses and out of the hat reasons to prove Oda is "terrible"." In fact I don't even know why I even debate anything because the person I'm arguing with is biased towards the other point and will pull out of the hat reasons to prove it's point.

Cause you know it's not like everyone is biased.

And yes I consider OP probablly the best Manga out their currently(Neuro might be equal same with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Soul Eater is pretty close too)

redcometfm
January 04, 2009, 10:59 PM
Im sorry if Bleach has a more mature approach to its material rather than appealing to little children like One Piece does. At my age, I cant enjoy reading people (drawn in horrific Tex Avery-like caricatures) go on a simplistic and vague journey with extreme reactions to things every two seconds with ridiculous bad guys (none of which ever die, only beaten up) and stupid dialogue over ridiculous topics.

OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story). At least Kubo Tite knows the value of good manga, unlike Oda who pulls stuff out of his arse to draw all that he can for his product and extend the manga as much as he can.

FYI -- Im an open minded reader and I gave OP 140 chapters of reading to see if it could be any good. Thats an entire manga in some instances. Im STILL trying to give it one last shot (to Alabaster) but Oda is making it real difficult.

I realize how hard it may be for some to have patience to see a plot unfold over time with Bleach so its understandable if your ADD is cured by OP mess of a ridiculously childish manga.

I WILL give Oda one thing. The man has a passion for manga, with all the artwork he draws and inks (basically features) in a standard chapter. I will give him credit there. But it doesnt make up for an overly long, shit manga.

BlkHorus
January 05, 2009, 04:39 PM
if people want to talk about stories that don't really have it all planned but make up part as it goes then Bleach is a good example, but I would say even better would be Naruto. There are alot of loose ends in the manga that were dropped and never fully exposed as much as Kishi put into developing at the beginning. On top of that, the he has maybe a end picture of how things will end, but the journey to get there he hasn't really done well in a fe cases. Naruto is a good example (modern times) of a manga that had alot of effort put into it at the beginning to develop things, then as Naruto has gotten older, kishi has allowed alot of it to fall here and there with poor writing, too many plot holes, and extremely open-ended events to things he had worked soo much in building and got the reader entangled in.
On those points for much of the modern mangas read right now, One Piece is by far better and complete. Oda has done well with keeping things tied together and really telling not just a story about the main character, but many of those that he encounters throughout the adventure and in the world. Those are the workings of a good manga when you can develop and continuously show shine to characters for reader connection, outside character actions, consequences, and contributions to world events and then still bring action to it. The only thing you could say is that One Piece doesn't bring as much emotion to it as Naruto does, but that again goes with the frame of what the writer set out. naruto was meant to be more emotional even though it lacks more character development and connection than One Piece (well save for Naruto and Sasuke). But One peice definitely delievers more consistantly than Naruto or Bleach (oh god help bleach!).

tehgrim
January 05, 2009, 06:03 PM
Im sorry if Bleach has a more mature approach to its material rather than appealing to little children like One Piece does... and stupid dialogue over ridiculous topics.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/4/06/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/4/07/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/13/16/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/15/10/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/17/14/

Right so this is the so called mature content from bleach right? ><

these are only from 17 chapters and theirs alot more in the manga...

OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story).

all three manga's target the same audience... and the audience is quite a big range with ALOT of cross over.

FYI -- Im an open minded reader and I gave OP 140 chapters of reading to see if it could be any good. Thats an entire manga in some instances. Im STILL trying to give it one last shot (to Alabaster) but Oda is making it real difficult.

Honestly both manga's are good, and both manga's have instances where they draw things out for too long. Also both mangas by the 140th chapter actually get into the story...

I realize how hard it may be for some to have patience to see a plot unfold over time with Bleach so its understandable if your ADD is cured by OP mess of a ridiculously childish manga.
You just said one piece is to long drawn out, then you say here bleach requires patience. Isnt it safe to say that both manga's require patience?

You have a point about one piece, but at the same time all those things apply to bleach as well... I like and read both manga's, i also like one piece more. Bleach has/had its moments, but one piece to me keep delivering those moments. I don't hate or trash on bleach, but your points also apply back...

Onomatopoeia
January 05, 2009, 08:13 PM
OP, Naruto and Bleach perfectly reflect the current three age groups of appeal and top market profiting. OP = children to tweens, Naruto = children, tweens and teens, Bleach = children, tweens, teens and adults (because of its mature approach to its story). At least Kubo Tite knows the value of good manga, unlike Oda who pulls stuff out of his arse to draw all that he can for his product and extend the manga as much as he can.

I want to see the evidence behind the bolded. And no your own personal opinion is not evidence. Because hack and slash with good guy's never dying and plenty of fan service doesn't strike me as "mature". Berserk strikes me as mature especially considering how it dances with sensitive issues(religion off the top of my head).

Except Oda doesn't pull stuff out of his arse to draw all he can you've yet to give me an example.

Koen
January 06, 2009, 02:10 PM
Guys calm down, keep in mind this is a one piece review. It sometimes happens manga are compared. Comparisons aren't bad but let's keep it nice (avoid unnecessary comments). Thus, let us not lose the purpose of the thread: commenting the user's review and the manga itself. So let us close the one piece - bleach discussion

Anyway One Piece is a great manga. It has its own standards. It suprised me since I didn't like it in the beginning. Got to admit, one piece is a solid well written manga with its own art. Anyway good review

paradoxe
January 07, 2009, 02:45 AM
One Piece deal with plenty of 'adult' issues like racism, slavery, prejudice and discrimination, religion, censorship and propaganda etc.

I don't see Bleach dealing with any of that. In fact, Bleach is not only childish and shallow (seriously Ichigo is the most one dimensional character ever and hes the main character..), but also predictable and boring. Nearly every fight is the same; I mean its ok if you want to make a plain storyline but at least come up wtih something new in your fights right?! The fact that there are no plot twists doesn't bother me; there are plenty of decent seriess without any twists in their plot, but Bleach is just a linear story with no excitement or drama whatsoever. Kubo doesn't even bother trying to surprise the audience or invoke our emotions. There is more talking then fighting..which is fine in a plot intensive storyline, but with a story like Bleachs (fight, win, fight, win, fight, lose, powerup, fight, win, fight, win), it really doesnt' make sense..

Honestly both manga's are good, and both manga's have instances where they draw things out for too long. Also both mangas by the 140th chapter actually get into the story...

No, Bleach sucks.

No originality, no creativity at all whatsoever. The art is simplistic. It may be attractive at the beginning when compared to One Piece (seriously is this the only reason why you say its more mature), but once you get used to the art in One Piece you'll notice the landscapes are more detailed and beautiful and the characters are much more well designed.

Naruto, on the hand is much much better then Bleach. I hate Naruto to the core, but I admit that its a decent shonen series. I still prefer One Piece, mainly because off the inconsistencies of power in Naruto and teh fact that the main characters are unbelievably annoying (Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke all three of them..). However, the designs are aesthetically pleasing and the powers are 'cool'..which makes it really popular with western audiences. The storyline is also well thought out..unlike Bleach's.

And no I'm not a rabid One Piece fan. I love One Piece, and I hate both Naurto and Bleach, but OP isn't even my favourite manga. My favourite is probably a tie between Kenshin, Vagabond and Akumetsu. Heck, it isn't even my favourite shonen series, which is HxH.

Guys calm down, keep in mind this is a one piece review. It sometimes happens manga are compared. Comparisons aren't bad but let's keep it nice (avoid unnecessary comments). Thus, let us not lose the purpose of the thread: commenting the user's review and the manga itself. So let us close the one piece - bleach discussion

Ugh, I posted before I read your comment.

Pls let my post stay as I spent the past 15 minutes typing it up. =(

Thanks.

BoXs
February 05, 2009, 11:53 PM
Nice review

And I wouldn't say One Piece is childish considering my 30+ manga loving friends and I ,who are all in Universities, love One Piece, but all HATE Bleach :O (sorry just had to type that out XD). As one gets older, one realizes that being a child is really the best and One Piece, out of all manga, is the only one capable of delivering that to me. It's a world of imagination where nothing is impossible. This world just reminds me of my childhood days, thus I love it. The freedom that I used to enjoy, the stressless days, the friendship, the fun, "my world", and so on .... aw, good old days.

slippy
February 06, 2009, 01:52 AM
why stop the arguments? i was enjoying them.

The2nd
February 08, 2009, 08:05 PM

No ill intentions, but Bleach is not for "adults", all it involves is hack and slashing thought the manga and is too repetitive, I will dare not try to use Naruto as a comparison. To be honest it actually takes braincells to read One Piece . I'm tired of mangas where the hero goes from a ass whooping to conquering everything within a few days of training. The story development in One Piece is unrivaled and it flows so well even after so long. Plus no way in hell can anyone pull out the Dragon Ball card since most people are here because of DB and the rest grew up on it.

All in all I loved the review Moon and i want your siggy.

weixiaobao
February 08, 2009, 09:53 PM
although some people hate the way that one piece is written go so far as using "immature", but even if the word hold true to certain extend (there are also seriousness in certain time of the story) .... one piece still entertained millions of people and most are fine and probably held great regard to this style of story telling... And for me, i am glad one piece is this way because there are way too many serious type of manga out there also (they are great too nonetheless).. but One Piece doesn't need to changed to fit to certain someone definition of "mature" .. beside if it did, a great many of us will probably lost the passion we have for it now..

As for target audience.. there people from three generations of a household who love it ... and some posters on the net are also varied in age (i meant older than the definition of kid)...

Shinichiro
April 01, 2009, 01:12 AM
It's interesting how your perceptions change as you age.

When you're younger, the whole OMGBADASSPWNLOOKITTHAT thing seems absolutely awesome and very mature. Bleach and DBZ are two particularly famous/infamous examples, what with their nonstop power boosts and insta-kill style shows of power. They, like many shonen, are nonstop streams of "BADASS" moments.

Speaking for m'self, at least, that gets very tiresome very fast. I suspect that many of the aforementioned reasons for Bleach/Naruto/standard shonen appealing to an "older" crowd make it seem young, immature, and increasingly ridiculous as I grow up. Taking yourself seriously all the time is NOT necessarily a hallmark of maturity. Correspondingly, a sense of humor and levity in a work doesn't necessarily mean it's for little kids. In fact, I'd say the opposite's true. Series that take themselves oh-so-seriously overwhelmingly just come off as silly, with only a FEW exceptions (Gaiman's Sandman, maybe?).

One Piece, however, is an absolute breath of fresh air. Oda, the author, chooses not to go for the instant gratification or cheap fan service. Rather, he's built a long term structure in a sustainable world. And, most importantly, he doesn't outgrow his world.

In almost every other Shonen, the protagonist is somehow chosen, marked by fate in some way that somehow allows them to win every important fight and break all the rules of the universe. Because of this specialness or sheer plot armor, the protagonist grows at a ridiculous rate to conquer the known world. Things that take most people decades now take xer minutes...and the like. This has the unfortunate side effect of cheapening power in the mangaverse and making progress seem pretty worthless. Then, the mangaka has to come up with a MORE POWERFUL THAN EVER enemy as a saving throw for the bloody series. After all, the protagonist has grown at a ridiculous rate and beaten uber enemy of the known world #18. This inevitably leads to the introduction of some secret society of awesomes that we've never heard a word about before, but're capable of killing all the former uberbosses/badasses with their pinky fingers. It's a nasty downward spiral and as an end result, power/growth has around as much value as the post-WW1 German mark. Oh yeah, and everyone else is left behind the protagonist, rendering them worthless, unless the mangaka takes one of two routes; they somehow keep up with some gimmick that further strains the universe's power hierarchy OR they make the protagonist's party an exclusive club of special people chosen by fate. Both are baaaaad.

Because One Piece has a more reasonable and sustainable growth rate, the manga can actually SURVIVE and the laws of the universe aren't repeatedly broken due to special-itis. The mangaka clearly thinks in the long-term, as his protagonist rises through the ranks of his world at a reasonable rate...and plot turns are often hinted at hundreds of chapters before. The characters are well-thought out actually accompany the protagonist and are necessary in their own right, rather than simply hitching a ride on his awesomeness. Because Oda holds to his own world and doesn't shatter his power structure, these crew members can have a real part in the manga. What's more, everyone has potential, a far cry from the elite club of supers who're advanced only because of their genetics/special gift/luck-of-the-superpower-draw/heritage/X that they have no control over. If you think about it, most shonen protagonists really don't deserve their victories--they only win because of something out of their control. Luffy, however, earns everything he gets.

In One Piece, the characters may not be particularly innovative or brilliant, but they ARE fleshed out and could be actual people. While most mangaka start developing a character early on but almost immediately ignore/freeze that person's development and growth, Oda once again thinks in the long term. I hold that One Piece has the best cast out of any Shonen, not because the characters are works of genius, but because Oda's crew is far more complete than any alternative. I'll take a boring character that really grows over a genius character that's practically unscratched. Any day.

One Piece may not have the flashiest, most apparently innovative world. Its characters may not instantly leap out at you, what with the lack of supersealed foxes and uberhiddenpowerz. Instead of relying on gimmicks, which may seem more satisfying in the short term, Oda focuses on having actual substance in his world. Substance in his storylines and style. One Piece's best qualities are that it is both substantial and sustainable; you'll enjoy it more and more as you continue to read because Oda has invested in his manga, rather than simply pleasing fans. You'll continue to appreciate his work hundreds of chapters down the line, while many other shonen, such as the two that've been popping up throughout this discussion, are pretty much done and old hat by chapter 100.

That's why I hold that One Piece is one of the very, very, VERY few manga that can appeal to "adults" and continue appealing even as you yourself grow.

If you want a manga with substance that's good for more than a Gary Stu/deus ex machina zomgpwn scene or two, then you might want to give One Piece a spin.

redcometfm
April 02, 2009, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to thank you Shinichiro for giving such a respectable, reasonable and well argued position for why you like One Piece. Its a breath of fresh air and understanding.

Danre
April 20, 2009, 12:03 PM

Art: 8.5
The art of One Piece started out fairly weak, but gradually grew to look better and better. One thing that One Piece DOES have is beautiful scenery, with Oda treating us to full shots of each island the Straw Hats stop at. This gives us a feeling that the world of One Piece really is full and exciting even without the main characters, something many other shonen series lack.

One Piece, admittedly, started as a very formulaic series. Go to island, find friend, beat foe, repeat. As time progressed and the arcs began to get a little more meat to them, the story began to come into its own. With the growing tension of forces clashing in the world of One Piece, it's becoming clear that Oda has been building toward a grand finale for some time, and the story he's telling leaves most readers waiting impatiently every week for the next chapter to come out.

The selling point of the series, for many. The Straw Hats have so much interaction and character moments that the reader can comfortably enjoy rooting them on as they move closer to their respective goals.
The secondary cast, as well, is a major plus of the series. While the sheer number of characters is as large as any series I've ever read, they never overstay their welcome. When Oda wants to use a major character, he uses them, but doesn't spend chapters recycling older characters just for fanservice. Everyone in One Piece has a role to play, and they always end up playing that role beautifully.

Theme: 10
Friendship, reaching your goals, adventure, all the things we hear about from an average shonen. The difference? One Piece does them right.
One of the main themes, if not THE main theme, is friendship. There are so many moments devoted to simply watching crew members interact with one another casually that it's impossible to say the friendships in the series are hackneyed or cliche.
As for the adventure theme, One Piece's length really works for it here. Unlike many shonen out there, which tend to be monster of the week works, with the goals being short-termed "Beat this guy" types, One Piece has a set goal, and the enemies on the way are just obstacles. We've been watching Luffy for years as he moved closer to his goal, and when he finally does reach that final island, that wait will make it so much more enjoyable.
Of course, you might say it's the trip that counts, not the destination.

Randomly pick five characters from One Piece. Odds are they either have a ridiculously unique design or some sort of power that rarely shows itself in fiction, if ever. Many of the plot twists, character designs, and even locations visited in the series are things I've never seen before. While One Piece may draw inspiration from earlier series such as Dragonball, it is surely one of the most unique series on the market today.

Overall: 9.5

With a wide and varied cast of characters, an exotic world with surprising islands always on the horizon, and a plot that was seemingly planned out from day one, One Piece is my favorite manga series to date. I would recommend the series to anyone who enjoys reading manga and would like a weekly series to follow that will surprise, amuse, and entertain them throughout.

slippy
June 10, 2009, 03:59 PM
how can redcometfm comment on the respectability and reasonableness of shinichiro's post after he bashed the manga on the previous page - along with having a difference in opinion?

btw, nice review shinichiro.

warren110
August 03, 2009, 12:55 AM
I agree, Onepiece should get all 10's. Well as you can see im a little biased but good review man.

SlayerKisame
August 12, 2009, 03:28 AM
So I read the original poster's review a good while ago...since it was one of the popular 3 shounen and I'm already reading Naruto and Bleach, I decided why not, I'mma read it.

I finally caught up with the manga moments ago...I'm not sure how long it took, but about a month. To my surprise, it has become my favorite of the 3 in just 150 chapters (take or give), so sir, I thank you for inviting me to this amazing manga. :)

I'm gonna go ahead and watch the old fights from the Anime, must be pretty sweet animation.

ceej
August 14, 2009, 05:11 AM
i love one piece but i'm afraid of starting the manga seeing as i am already up to date with the anime and its possibly the only decent weekly release anime i can find. (bleach and naruto are all fillers)

zozo96
September 07, 2009, 02:28 PM
Never before I felt so attached to a manga. One Piece is definitely a must read. It is not merely "a manga". In my opinion, the author, master-mind Oda, contemplated a lot to draw this marvelous work. It is a work of art and contemplation. Clearly Intelligent. One Piece already reached 500+ chapters when I write this review. But, the new chapters are not dull at all. On a contrary, they are getting fresher and fresher, but still kept intact with the general storyline.

Consistency, intelligence, fun and philosophy of life. We can find them all in One Piece. It even played your emotion and brain. It tickled my brain when I was thinking about a possibility of the existence of a sky island. It's just a fantasy, of course. But, I could not think better than Oda's description of it. The list continues: water island, underwater island, bubble island, merman, giant, rubber man (completely different version from Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four), ice man, fire man, et cetera.

Some think of Oda as a genius. Well, I think of Oda as a genius and reflective person. He knows about passion. He knows about pain and suffering. May be he even experienced the pain itself. I mean, how can he conduct such a storyline, which moves the heart of the readers, without 'a spirit' in it? I cried when I saw the gesture the mugiwaras gave to Fifi. I cried when I read the story of Robin. I cried when Going Merry... I cried when Franky cried. The list can go on. Clearly, I sensed passion in those stories. I felt sad because I have had similar experiences, too, some senses of warm friendships and painful separations.

There is a proverb in Latin: nemo dat quod non habet! A man cannot give anything he does not possess. Oda had given us his whole self to us with One Piece. And he is still giving it to us. Let us accept this self-giving with a doooong!

wrstljr
September 09, 2009, 06:47 PM
Everyone who has ever read One Piece recognizes it for the masterpiece that it truly is. However, everyone who hasn't jumped into OP believes it to be childish and crudely drawn. This is amazing because it makes OP the greatest manga of all time...while still being underrated.

One Piece is an imagination orgasm.

And to anyone who thinks this is poorly drawn....you must not understand what true artistry is.

Shinichiro
September 11, 2009, 12:17 AM
Fond as I am of One Piece, I'd really have to disagree with a lot of what's been said here. People're saying One Piece is a masterpiece because Oda's work is exceptional, because he's a genius, because he's vastly more creative than his compatriots. I would agree that these MAY be true, but really miss the point and what stands out about One Piece. After all, words like "genius" or "masterpiece" are generic terms of praise that any decent fan would tack to their chosen manga. Hell, look at the Manga Review section, where Naruto was just called a unique and compelling masterpiece.

I think what really sets One Piece apart is that Oda, the mangaka, acts like an author. He treats this series like a novel that he's planning out.

Naruto, Bleach, etc...they all have their strong points and it could be argued that they're both masterpieces in their own ways. However, both of their mangaka would absolutely fail out of any writing class/seminar/workshop. They're artists, not authors. And for some, that's just fine. We, on the other hand, clearly appreciate Oda's more novelist approach...I think it adds significant quality and is a whole new technique we rarely see in the manga industry, where artists run the show and are expected to just turn out weekly serials which are supposed to maintain a certain level of dramatic tension in order to retain readers.

See, there are several ways to create dramatic tension, to create interest and intrigue in a story. Most manga lean heavily on shows of awesomness, on pwnsome l33t moments, and crazy action scenes. To my mind, those come off as ridiculously overdone and without anything solid at their core, sort of like a balloon that's been all blown up to a certain size, but doesn't actually have anything inside. One Piece adopts more writing elements, where Oda forgoes the instant-gratification moments and obscene action cliffhangers and carefully builds in a more compelling support structure, plot, and more...novel-y characters. For me, that's kind of like actually BUILDING a paper-mache ball as opposed to blowing a balloon. It takes a lot more time and a lot more effort...and it's going to be MUCH smaller at the beginning. But the mache ball has much more potential for growth and actual substance inside. Each reader has different preferences, of course...my background and perspective have been heavily affected by growing up on a lot of novels/literature; hell, I teach creative writing to middle/high-school students for some quick cash every summer. As a result Naruto, Bleach, etc...just seem kind of empty, vapid, and poorly written based on my tastes and history. I can't really get into the action scenes because I can't get over how...poorly written they are in an AUTHORLY way--though they certainly can amuse in a comic book way. One Piece, on the other hand, is written very...well.

So yes, I do personally think Oda's more creative than his coworkers. But that's not One Piece's greatest asset, in my mind. I think that it's his exceptional style as an author (in that he actually HAS one) that allows him to utilize this creativity; because he approaches this series as an author, rather than just an artist, his creativity can be used to its full potential.

To sum it all up, I think that One Piece is more of a graphic novel series than many of its peers, which gravitate more towards the comic book side of the spectrum. Both are reputable, but I'm a sucker for writing quality, so I love One Piece.

Edited retro-reply to zozo96 so we don't waste posts: Yeah, as a self-styled critic who's blitzed the lit before, I totally get what you mean and I personally agree that Oda...well...is at least extremely talented. Maybe even a genius. However, I think attributing OP's success to his creative talent is a mistake in that it...well...overlooks some of his more crucial abilities and what's more, it enters this realm of subjectivity. After all, genius is a highly overused term that people usually toss out to mean they like something...and what's more, I believe that using that term takes us away from a lot of OP's real values by simply dismissing them as products of Oda's genius. Oh, and it makes the review harder for non-fans to appreciate while deciding whether or not to read. So yes, I agree, but I disagree with the wording and analysis, if that makes any sense?

I believe you could have the most creative person in the world behind a manga and still have it flop miserably if he/she can't write and can't organize his/her thoughts. OP thrives because Oda's skills as a writer allow his creativity to shine through--if he lacked either of the two, One Piece would be a terrible manga. What's more, his work is far more organized than any of his contemporaries'. I don't know if he's ever received formal writing training, but it would make a lot of sense. Plenty of manga writers are creative. Oda's just about the only one I've ever seen that is creative AND can write a story and that's what sets OP apart for me.

zozo96
September 11, 2009, 03:57 PM
Fond as I am of One Piece, I'd really have to disagree with a lot of what's been said here. People're saying One Piece is a masterpiece because Oda's work is exceptional, because he's a genius, because he's vastly more creative than his compatriots. I would agree that these MAY be true, but really miss the point and what stands out about One Piece. After all, words like "genius" or "masterpiece" are generic terms of praise that any decent fan would tack to their chosen manga. Hell, look at the Manga Review section, where Naruto was just called a unique and compelling masterpiece.

Thanks for the review. I really like it. But, I've to state that when I said someone is genius, I really mean it. I've read a great length of books, from Harry Potter to Summa Theologiae, from the Lord of the Rings to le Discours de la methode. I've read a hell lot of manga, too. After reading all those, I believe that it takes more than intelligence to create a passionate story like OP. I cannot think of any other compliment that suits Oda. He is genius.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius

THE KING
December 04, 2009, 05:42 AM
BEFORE:
I hate this is what I said some 5-6 years back when the show aired on cartoon network.
The characters looked so stupid and aweful.
I would change the channel as soon as it started.
When I started reading mangas some 4 years back, I did the same again.
It was always in the top 5 list of everyone I talked to, but I was always like, I'm not gonna get my hands on this.
Everyone wanted me to atleast read a few chapters. According to everyone, reading a few chapters would have made me fall in love with the series I hated the name of, adore the art I criticised so much, love, admire the charactes I thought were stupid as hell.

Then one day out of the blue, drunk, bored, nothing to do, I gave it a shot.

AFTER:
I have already re-read the series twice.
Watched the entire anime.
Am on almost every forum regarding one piece.
Rate this as the best series out there.
The art, characters, story, fallen in love with everything.

zelllogan
December 04, 2009, 04:11 PM
You're not the only one feeling that way. I discovered one piece via the anime in his "french" version. It was plainly horrible and childish ... but somehow I wanted to see it again & then I took the anime in jap with eng/french subtitles & once I was in the baroque works story, it becomes one of my favourite mangas. I then read the manga & was slightly disappointed by Skypiea but after Enies Lobby I had no doubt anymore: it was the best manga of his time ... & now I think it's the best manga of all time. I think I won't ever like a manga as much as this one.

samsung0015
April 19, 2010, 08:21 AM
thank you

benelori
April 20, 2010, 08:32 AM
The thing is that in One Piece besides the art, which I became used to, the other thing that sort of bored me were the long-ass fights, with awesome and more awesome panels...
That's probable because, the story is so well written, that I'm more interested in the conclusion of one arc, or journey, not necessarily the fights themselves...

Kayzerd
April 20, 2010, 09:13 AM

I think you'll need to eat your words: 2009 demography Breakdown (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/10/top-10-manga-of-2009-demographic-breakdown/)

Funny because it's actually completely opposite to what you think. Bleach gets less and less readers as it goes up age groups, and One Piece dominates basically the whole chart.

zelllogan
April 24, 2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the link. It's not surprising. Bleach is all about action & graphics. When you become older, story takes a much important place & it's no wonder that Hxh is reaching top-3.

And I'm not surprised that One piece tops everything in every category. It's just that much better than anything else.

goldb
April 24, 2010, 06:41 AM
I knew OP had a huge fanbase aged 10-30 so there was no surprise to see them top that list, but they even rank quite well with the female demographics.

triggerman
May 07, 2010, 09:11 AM
@ Shinichiro : I like the fact that you highlight Oda's creativity not just in the world he has created but the plot and story. The way he has developed the entire universe of One Piece, like you said, is rare among other "top" manga's out right now (shounen at least).
I'm taking a creative writing course now at my University, and I can attest to what you have to say on that front, personally. Creative writing is hard stuff (done properly), and not just any o'l Joe Smo with a pen, or laptop can do it, as I have come to find out since the beginning of the semester.

I personally also really appreciate that comment you made about the hierarchy with in OP. It has not been bent or broken for anyone since day one. I, especially, wanted to see how Oda would allow things to transpire during the past arc (Save Ace), and I watched carefully to see if he was going to allow Luffy to "magically" gain some new power/skill, and he didn't. I was surprised and also well pleased, because Luffy was way out of his league,at Marine HQ, and he got his ass whooped! (haha) as he should have. The way Oda handled this whole arc, in my opinion, confirms it; that Oda really knows what he is doing , and out of the big three Naruto, Bleach, OP, I think it is clear that OP is doing the best.

P.s. I tried to add something new to the conversation, don't know how well I did, seeing how I feel as though you already took every word out my mouth ( haha) but I just wanted to say something.

Cyrs
August 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
I don't think it's even possible *NOT* to like One Piece. If you haven't read it yet, you're only hurting yourself.

benelori
August 25, 2012, 02:41 AM
I don't think it's even possible *NOT* to like One Piece. If you haven't read it yet, you're only hurting yourself.

It is repetitive at some times, and the art might not be something people would like...

mysunsuion
July 15, 2013, 02:25 AM
The art rate should be 10 if you read to the latest chapter...
Haha, the goal for this section is mostly to provide reviews for lesser-known manga, but I couldn't help but start with my favorite :D

Title: One Piece
Genres: Shonen, Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Author/Artist: Eiichiro Oda
Publication: Weekly Shonen Jump
Start Date: August 4, 1997
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 484
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 484

General Overview: Luffy, a young boy, travels the world in his goal of obtaining the legendary treasure "One Piece" and becoming the Pirate King. Along the way, he forms his crew of of outlandish and memorable characters, as they each strive for their own dream. The plot turns are intense and the stakes gradually rise as the crew realizes that not everything in the world is what it seems.

Art: 8
The character designs are simple, yet unique. Oda favors a more humorous style over a realistic one, but the results are well worth seeing. For a weekly shonen series, the detail level is fairly high, and remarkably consistent.

After more than 10 years of publication, Oda has made his reputation as a master story-teller. Equally adept at moving his readers from laughter to tears, he has slowly developed a richly complex world, as he has moved from the small-scale to the large. The plot is unexpected, full of twists and surprises, yet nothing feels contrived or forced.

One Piece has a very large cast of well-detailed, sympathetic characters. Each has a rich background that weaves well into the over-all story. These backgrounds provide excellent springboards for dynamic character development that feels very organic; there are very few "watch me monologue about how I just developed" moments, rather the characters slowly grow in a way that feels very believable.

Themes: 10
As expected from a shonen title, the themes of "friendship" and "working hard for your dreams" are well-represented in One Piece. However, they are presented as well as they have ever been done. Also, there are several other, more subtle themes present throughout the series. "Redemption", "healing from tragedy", "worthwhile sacrifice", to name a few. All are well done and consistent.

While One Piece may owe a lot to Akira Toriyama for its initial inspiration, it truly stands on its own in execution. Oda-sensei has given us a world that is truly unique and refreshing.

Overall: 10
If you haven't picked up on it by now, I love One Piece :D I could go on and on about all the things that make it great, but I just leave you with this: if you haven't read it, do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. If you can make it past the first 100 chapters without falling in love with it, I'll offer a public apology^^

Gosh, I sound like a total One Piece fanboy, don't I? I apologize, I'll try to keep the tone more objective in my future reviews, but for me, One Piece is something unique and amazing.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample2.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample3.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/luckas04/Manga%20reviews%20images%20samples/Sample4.jpg

Want more discussion on One Piece? Go here:
One Piece Discussion Boards (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

It is repetitive at some times, and the art might not be something people would like...

Try to read the fight between the marine and white beard arc, you will see the level of art is amazing...

benelori
July 15, 2013, 06:54 AM
Try to read the fight between the marine and white beard arc, you will see the level of art is amazing...

But that just means that you like the art style and the rich panels, but for many people I know feel that some of the panels are too crowded sometimes, and the character designs can seem too cartoony