PDA

View Full Version : Viz Manga Discussion Thread

cacwoody
January 07, 2008, 06:10 AM
does anybody know why Viz is so far behind? and why they do not release faster or do something like they did with naruto? I mean in order to even catch up to where japan is right now..at their current pace...would take 7-10 years. By that time, I wouldnt even want to buy them, most likely. and there would be even be alot more of them by that time.

Imitorar
January 07, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is off the topic of the thread, but Viz only releases about 3 chapters per month of One Piece in the American Shonen Jump magazine, whereas Shueisha releases about 4 chapters per month in the Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine, in Japan. So America has fallen pretty behind, when One Piece had been going on in Japan as long as it has in America, Japan was up to Volume 26, and America is up to Volume 18. And Naruto got special treatment, because it is the most popular manga in America at the moment, so Viz knew it would be worth it to skip to Shippuden. Blame 4Kids, it was their dub that screwed over One Piece's chances of becoming popular in America. It is, but not even close to as popular as it should be. Hopefully, the FUNimation dub will fix that, and Skypiea can be released 3 volumes per month until Water 7, but as it is now, One Piece in America is far behind Japan, and is most likely to stay that way.

DragonMoonZ
January 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
Viz (sorry for the bad language) fucked things up real bad for One Piece, Naruto gets 3 volumes a month! and OP 1 per 4 months or so... no wonder Naruto gets more attention plus One Piece's dub screwed everything over. I mean the anime is now at Skypiea and the manga is still at Alabasta who the hell would want to read (and buy) that by then...? So Viz can blame theirselve for OP's low popularity and low sales... they should drop the license and leave things to someone else (and i don't live in the US, but i would never ever pay one penny for their shit job they did on OP, i would rather donate my bucks to Oda personally instead of supporting Viz..)

gdupninja
January 17, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah man Volume 16 is the last volume of OnePiece that has come out and its been out for like 2 months! Once volume 27 and 28 of Naruto came out they were scooped out like cookies and now none of the stores have them. VIZ needs to step there game up, manga is popular round here.

Imitorar
January 17, 2008, 06:56 PM
DragonMoonZ, Viz's translations for One Piece are actually pretty good. Not perfect, since they missed some things, and they had to keep to the 4Kids names for some things, but for the most part, it's fine, and if you read the scanlations or watch the fansubs also, you'll be fine. And One Piece is plenty popular in America, it is the third most popular thing in Shonen Jump here. It's just not as popular as it should and probably could be, because the anime dub sucked until the end of this September, when FUNimation took over. Now that the dub is great, the series has been getting more and more popular, so that in Shonen Jump now, One Piece is right behind Naruto and Bleach in popularity, even though it SHOULD by rights be on top. And actually, usually, One Piece volumes come out once every 3 months, which isn't so bad, considering that that's how long it takes to finish a volume's worth of chapters in Shonen Jump. It's just that to prevent the volume releases from getting ahead of the magazine here, they slow it down sometimes, so that volume 17 is coming out in March, instead of around two weeks from now. So yeah, it's 4 months instead of 3 months this time, but it is almost definitely not a permanent shift in schedule, and due to the increase in popularity, we might get One Piece volumes every two months sometimes. We'll certainly go back to a volume every two months after March, and One Piece DOES get 3 chapters in Shonen Jump, whereas most series in the magazine get two. Either way, Viz should by no means drop the license, as they do a decent job, and the sales are rather high. Just not when compared to the sales of One Piece in Japan, because 4Kids screwed up BIG.

Naruto was a special case, where Viz decided to take it out of the magazine for a while and release 3 volumes a month, to catch up with the anime dub here and get to Shippuden faster. Naruto got special treatment due to it's popularity. But since One Piece has just started the Alabasta arc in Shonen Jump, and the FUNimation dub has premiered and it is great, and Viz has been pushing One Piece in Shonen Jump, the combination of all this should mean that One Piece get's ALOT more popular once Skypiea starts in the manga, and maybe Skypiea will be released 2 or 3 volumes at a time outside the magazine to catch up with the anime around Water 7. Either way, One Piece usually gets one volume every 3 months, whereas Naruto gets one volume every two months. The 3 volumes per month thing was a special occurrence, and as I said, One Piece may get that too later if we're lucky and it gets more popular here.

gdupninja
January 17, 2008, 07:01 PM
this is true, i actually like the translation for Onepiece alot. they really dont change much and the fights are still as bloody as they are in japanease. I hope that with the new Funimation Dub which is pretty good, OnePiece will gain they popularity it deserves. I look forward to the day when I can buy the volume of Onepiece where Luffy sends Croc flying through the catacombs, and i hope it is sooner than i think.

DragonMoonZ
January 18, 2008, 08:51 AM
Well if that's so i hope OP rises to the number one spot it should deserve in the US, and the main reason i don't like manga/anime outside Japan is the censoring, im against every form of editing (but i can understand you dont want names like Chiziru or Ching Chang Chong in the US :P) how do you call that, a purist??? That's what i am, so yeah im really gratefull for scanlation and fansubbing. Plus i like the Japanese language a lot more, has way more feeling into it, but your right, they do a lot more better job with OP now, but the the volumes should be released earlier, because the manga should be further in story, NOT BEHIND the anime...

Imitorar
January 18, 2008, 01:05 PM
Well, it's like that for everything here, because anime is more easily accessible then manga, since T.V. is free, and you can discover it just by flipping channels. And so the anime usually gets brought here first, then the manga. Now, for One Piece, that wasn't the case, the manga was here for about 8 months or so before the anime, I think, but remember, only 3 chapters come out per month. The anime gets one episode per week, so that's about 4 episodes per month. (It used to get two episodes per week before people lost interest in the 4Kids dub. Seriously, I TOTALLY blame the 4Kids dub for this whole situation. Especially since the One Piece anime was here before the Naruto anime.) One episode can cover 1-3 chapters. So that's 3-9 chapters per month, and average of about 5 chapters per month. So the anime moved twice as fast as the manga, and that's why the manga is at Alabasta, and the anime is at Skypiea. Naruto was like that too, it's just that Viz started releasing the manga faster, so now it's way ahead, especially when you take into account the Filler Saga. Which is gonna be AWESOME, because it will provide people with a great opportunity to get into One Piece, since about ten episodes into the Filler Saga, people are probably gonna get bored, whereas One Piece will be up to Luffy vs. Eneru, or around there. Plus, the Alabasta arc will be in full swing, so I say in about a year, One Piece will probably be MUCH more popular then it is now in America.

DragonMoonZ
January 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
specially when you take into account the Filler Saga. Which is gonna be AWESOME, because it will provide people with a great opportunity to get into One Piece, since about ten episodes into the Filler Saga, people are probably gonna get bored, whereas One Piece will be up to Luffy vs. Eneru, or around there. Plus, the Alabasta arc will be in full swing, so I say in about a year, One Piece will probably be MUCH more popular then it is now in America.

Haha totally forget about the fillers, if they are gonna air those 85 episodes Viz is gonna kill the Naruto for sure:tem :p Time for Op to rise to power:XD indeed.... yess yess

gdupninja
January 18, 2008, 04:04 PM
I cant tell you how happy i was when i heard about Funimation picking up OnePiece because as Imitorar has said 4kids chopped OP up badly. I can remember seeing the episode of OP when they arrived Lougetown. All I could remember was that when i saw Captain Smoker I yelled " What the F*** is this?" They had the nerve to edit out his cigars, including the ones in his teeth which gave him a gap and they changed his name.
I really hope that with Funimation running the show, Onpiece's popularity will skyrocket like we hope it will, and with the increase in popularity will come the demand for OnePiece manga. Also for episodes 144 on onward, Funimation will start releasing unedited video and english sound track that will restore characters and objects renamed in the series to their original names. They evantually plan to resub the other 143 episodes but VIZ still owns the rights to them so we shall see what happens.

DragonMoonZ
January 19, 2008, 08:26 AM
Why is that Viz dropped the dub, but they still won't let Funimation have the rights (for the dub) damn you Viz

Imitorar
January 19, 2008, 07:17 PM
Viz never had the dub, 4Kids did. Viz just licensed the DVD's, which they don't even put in stores anymore (since almost nobody was buying them, because, as I mentioned, the 4Kids dub sucked.) However, I think FUNimation DOES have the rights to the other episodes, they just haven't had a chance to dub them because they needed to get Skypiea done for Toonami quickly. There is actually a rumor going around that got published in Anime Insider that said they're gonna be releasing a DVD starting from Episode 1 too, but that rumor is unconfirmed. Either way, FUNimation has made it clear that they will have all of One Piece dubbed by them, eventually.

DragonMoonZ
January 20, 2008, 08:39 AM
Oh the dvd's, so like Naruto Uncut Boxset which contains about 13 episodes in dual language format?

Imitorar
January 20, 2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, the DVD's will have 13 episodes per DVD, completely uncut, and with both a dub and subtitle track. Though that's more about the FUNimation anime then the Viz manga...

DragonMoonZ
January 25, 2008, 11:35 AM
Like Naruto every (right in their mind) fan will only buy the dvd's up to episode 135, so 13 episodes is decent, but like OP which is already 340 or so, 13 episodes over 340 AT LEAST episodes is gonna cost you some bucks, they should do at least 20 episodes for OP, but that won't happen