PDA

View Full Version : Archived Beggar

Leen
January 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
What do you do when you see them?

Do you stop by and donate some money to them? Do you walk away thinking that they are just too lazy to work for themselves? What about a mom and a child begging on campus for money to buy sandwich or bus ticket? Will you give something to them or will you walk off?

If your plan is to help out, how much will you give? What will you do?
If you plan it to ignore them, why? What will you do? Walk off? Mock them? Kick them? XD

How genuine is these people's needs? Why don't they work? Are they useless to our society?

I like to know your opinion about beggar. Just tell me all of it!!! :smile-big

weixiaobao
January 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
oh my gosh.. i've been waiting for this topic..

Anyway, in my life i encounter many different types of beggars: the fake, the hungry, the cold, the homeless,... and they pretty much got my money every times.

In the USA, i rarely see beggars except for Chicago (i don't travel much). Sometimes, i just wonder how they got to the state that they were in. But surely i won't donate to those very bratty talkative ones. But in today society, I felt as if we are driven these people into a corner. It is pretty cold in Chicago during winters and stuffs and i am pretty sure no one can survive sleeping outside. And b/c Chicanos are so used to these beggars, that they don't pay attention to them. And i felt like these will force the beggars into the path of criminal.

In Vietnam, there are quite a few lazy people pretend to be beggars and try to fool tourists and such. But sometimes it is hard to tell which one is real.

_ATMA
January 17, 2008, 08:54 PM
lol it depends on the situation

for the past year ive been unemployed so when i see beggers i just kinda ignore them but if i had a job and money i would probably donate some money if it was for a worth while cause

igotthegoods
January 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
ooohh. interesting topic. i have always been told not to give money to beggars, but i have given to them on occasion. i usually ignore the ones that are really pushy and aggressive or seem to be drunk/high. however, it is really hard for me to pass by a beggar that has children and not give them any money.

i would rather give the beggars food directly, though, since that way i know my donations are not going to feed the drug habit that they may or may not have. it makes me feel much better. in fact, 2 weeks ago, i was at panera bread with a friend and they messed up her sandwich. they let her keep the old one and replaced it with a brand new one. we decided the uneaten sandwich would be put to better use by giving it to a homeless person than by just throwing it away so we wrapped it up did just that. we felt awesome for our good deed :)

Punky fish
January 18, 2008, 12:27 PM
i would rather give the beggars food directly Thats just what I would do too. Who knows what theyre going to buy if I'd give them money. Actually I don't really need to think about this because I haven't seen almost any beggars in Finland (but I did see one asking for money to eat outside McDonalds) but I did see quite alot of them in London. It really would be better if anyone wouldn't even need to ask money from other people.

rabb
January 18, 2008, 12:47 PM
ignore them. never give a begger money. 9 times out of ten, they are drug adicts. i lived in Tucson (which has a huge population of beggars) so i can usaully tell the real homeless from the adicts, and when i'm fairly sure i know that they are not looking for drug money, i'll get them a gift card to a wendys or something.

my sister and her boyfriend, when they were on the streets down in florida, begging for money, and some "good christian woman" came by and talked to them a bit. now, they were both druggies, (my sister has since reformed, her ex hasnt) but my sister was more hungry than anything else. now her boyfriend told her, ok, if we get enough so i can get some cocain, you can have wuts left for food. ya, hes an ass. so anyways this woman talks to my sister for a second, takes them to a wendys, and buys them whatever they want. seeing how little they could eat, she decided they MUST be non-druggies, and gave them $50. which was spent on drugs.

so the moral of the story, dont give them money. if you feel real bad for them, give them a card to some fast food place.

weixiaobao
January 18, 2008, 04:21 PM
so the moral of the story, dont give them money. if you feel real bad for them, give them a card to some fast food place.

:) .... yeah fatten them will do the trick... i think the more important question is where do the beggars go during winter..

~Lilium~
January 18, 2008, 11:17 PM
i haven't seen any beggars here in the U.S. but in the philippines I see alot. :darn I don't like giving them money since you won't know what they will spend it for :darn

My parents tell me to ignore them, I usually do when it comes to adult beggars but when its kids I give them food if I have some with me at that time or some small change. Enough to buy them a meal from the street vendors.

Me and my sister once gave a burger king meal that we just bought to a couple of kids that came by our car. i remember them waving at us eating the french fries when we passed by them later. :) :wtf it made me feel happy.

yoniekai
January 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
yep there's beggars everywhere here so most of them feed on each other's company. for example kid beggars, they ask money while smiling, in a pack. "hey mister can i have that?" and sometimes we kid them nicely, and they play along. kids only tho. the adults can really move you. you cant help but give money to an old blind beggar strumming a makeshift guitar and singing out, or those that really look depressed they just put their cans in front and dont even care if anybody gives. but not all of them are that needly. i dont give alms to beggars that look and act capable of working their lives out but ended up being a beggar.

Leen
January 19, 2008, 02:23 PM
There was once a story about how a beggar earns quite a lot of money so he just lives off by begging everyday. Once, the reporter followed him back to his shelter and turns out, he lives in a brick house. =P

In US, there are also a group of people who just live off the street. There are actually a lot of food in the dumpster if you just don't mind eating them. For example, fast food restaurant normally will just throw away the burgers and fries after 20 minutes or so for quality control. So if you just park behind the store and wait for the dumpster guy to throw the food, you get lots of good food there actually. =D They are just slightly cold (after 20 minutes) but I think they can definitely be eaten still.

weixiaobao
January 21, 2008, 06:08 PM
anyone here watch South Park, episode "Night of the Living Homeless"
http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/1107/Night-of-the-Living-Homeless.html

godofthesunn
January 22, 2008, 10:57 AM
anyone here watch South Park, episode "Night of the Living Homeless"
http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/1107/Night-of-the-Living-Homeless.html

Thats a classic episode there...

When I see beggers I usually dont give them anything because I typically dont carry large amounts of money on me, nor do i have a large amount of money and any given time. While I try to be as nice as possible to them without being cold hearted.

Leen
January 22, 2008, 11:18 PM
SHOOT! Homeless people are dangerous. :omg Let's get rid of them!!

I do agree that if you give them a hand, they will just ask for an arm. When you give an arm, they want your leg too. >.< That's why people always advise me to not give to any beggar in India or more will just show up asking for more.

What about a repeating beggar? I mean someone that you have given to before. Perhaps, you gave him $20 this time and the next time he came back and asked for $30. What do you think of that type of beggar? Is he/she faking it or he/she is just plain lazy?

miyi
January 23, 2008, 06:21 AM
I have to be honest....when I'm broke, I usually don't give money...but when I'm not, I give a dollar....

it all depends, I know in some cases, beggars are posing as beggars, when in fact they live comfortably....I mean, I've heard of these rumors, not sure if they're true.....in any case, giving out a dollar once in a while doesn't bother me. If I see a woman with a child, for instance, will probably be enough to compel me to give more, maybe $10.....it all depends..

anyway, I'm just a broke ass college student...if I had more money I probably would be more generous.

And what's sad about being homeless is their lack of health care....we often forget about that....all we focus on is that, "hey, he can live with a dollar easily"....but when he gets sick, things become more complicated.

and I strongly disagree with the notion that homelessness is due to laziness.....that's an often wrong generalization....there are many factors that contribute to poverty, and laziness is not the only one. In order to really help the poor, you increase their ability to compete economically, and one way to do that is to give them education. Because if one is uneducated and cannot even get a job, then is it really because he is lazy? Not necessarily....

one needs an opportunity to advance, so education would be one of many long term solutions to alleviating those in poverty.....giving money, or charity, are short term solutions only.

I've volunteered in a charity non-profit organization before.....once I had to prepare food in the kitchen and serve them to the homeless. It's a good experience..and it makes you feel good, so it isn't all that bad.

Paper
January 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
i don't want to come off mean, but i hate beggars.

i believe that beggars deserve to be where they are since they're too damn lazy to work and make their situation better. they just wollow in their own pool of self pity and beg people for a quick buck....people who don't help themselves disgust me.

OhDearMoshe
January 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
i don't want to come off mean, but i hate beggars.

i believe that beggars deserve to be where they are since they're too damn lazy to work and make their situation better. they just wollow in their own pool of self pity and beg people for a quick buck....people who don't help themselves disgust me.

That is flawed logic, people can be made homeless by bad circumstances that are beyond anyone's control. The most hard-working tight wadded man could easily be cast out onto the street. They could loose all their money and be forced out, then what happens. they become scruffy and bearded then no one will want to hire them and thus starts a vicious cycle.

mrcongojack
January 27, 2008, 11:36 PM
@ level4paperboy:

Most homeless people aren't homeless because they are lazy. In America, many of our homeless are mentally disturbed or disabled and were turned to the streets when their families either died or kicked them out. They used to go to mental institutions, but the Reagan administration did away with many of them and these people were sent out into the world without (caring)families, skills, and in many cases education. Also, many veterans become homeless (comprising 1/4 of the homeless population). Because of things like post traumatic stress disorder and general dislike for veterans of Vietnam (people thought that we lost the war because our troops "didn't fight hard enough", and not because our generals were idiots), many Nam vets ended up on the streets. Outside of the former vets and mentally unstable, the rest of the homeless are pretty much drug addicts or runaways (in many cases both). Life can throw you some serious curve balls, and sometimes they smack you right in the temple.

While I don't usually give money to the homeless (I live in suburbia and we don't have as many compared to the big cities and in many cases it just goes up their nose), we are pretty good to our homeless in my hometown. We have men's shelters they can get halfway decent sleeping accommodations at, and during the day many spend their time at the public library, getting acquainted with computers and reading in hopes they might get out of the gutter.

Paper
January 28, 2008, 12:15 AM
@mose & jack (your names are long....lol)- the ones that have a mental defect can't do much for themselves, thus the community should do what they can to get those people into an insitution. but the ones who are just depressed and don't want to work shouldn't be given pity. if they have the mental capacity to work, they should. the people who have the capacity to work hard but choose to leech off hard working people are a menace to society.

_ATMA
January 28, 2008, 02:29 AM
@mose & jack (your names are long....lol)- the ones that have a mental defect can't do much for themselves, thus the community should do what they can to get those people into an insitution. but the ones who are just depressed and don't want to work shouldn't be given pity. if they have the mental capacity to work, they should. the people who have the capacity to work hard but choose to leech off hard working people are a menace to society.

its not always that easy there can be alot of other reasons such as around here there is this one homeless guy who cant get a job period because hes AWOL if and can easily goto prison for along time though prison may be a better place then being stuck on the street and not sure what is going to happen tomorrow :/

Leen
January 28, 2008, 02:38 AM
Speaking of prison, some of the people are more willing to go to prison than to starve on the street. =/ That's how desperate they are.

Paper
January 28, 2008, 02:53 AM
they get 3 square meals a day, a bed, clean clothes, and toilets....i just have no sympathy for them, i've fell into deep shit a lot in my life so far, but i've always done what i could to get back up, and i'm sure lots of people out there have done the same.

mrcongojack
January 28, 2008, 09:49 AM
@level4paperboy
I prefer to go by "mr" :p

Anywho.... Most people living on the streets aren't lazy. Living on the streets is a lot of hard work - you have to find food, shelter, water, etc... and in many places that's hard to find. If these people could get jobs and an apartment, most of them would.

Paper
January 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
they don;t need to look for food if they're able to find themselves a soup kitchen, though it may not apply for all places. the philippines has a crappy policy on poor people, it's basically "just let them do as they please since we don't know how to control them". everyone is accountable for their actions, if their actions result into poverty, then it's their fault, and their job to get themselves up and make things better. i believe in charity, but only to a certain extent.

weixiaobao
January 28, 2008, 04:28 PM
@ level4paperboy:

Because of things like post traumatic stress disorder and general dislike for veterans of Vietnam (people thought that we lost the war because our troops "didn't fight hard enough", and not because our generals were idiots), many Nam vets ended up on the streets.

off topic ... doesn't matter about winning or losing.. the war is stupid there is nothing to gain...

----

back to topic

in a capitalist society, my economic teacher said it is a waste of money to give to the poor.. because the money will be gone.. better if we invest it in a form of donation like donate to organization to cure aids or cancer, etc..

but i don't really share his view...

and can homeless find job? i just wonder..

mrcongojack
January 28, 2008, 04:47 PM
off topic ... doesn't matter about winning or losing.. the war is stupid there is nothing to gain...

----

back to topic

in a capitalist society, my economic teacher said it is a waste of money to give to the poor.. because the money will be gone.. better if we invest it in a form of donation like donate to organization to cure aids or cancer, etc..

Yes, the war was stupid, but that didn't stop people from hating Nam vets.

Anyhow, it is hard for homeless people to find jobs. Most jop apps require you to fill in your address, and if you are homeless you don't have one. Most places tend not to hire the homeless.

Yeah, your econ teacher is either crazy or a neo conservative (or both). First off we don't have a capitalist economy, we have a mixed economy (along with every other country in the Western world since the 19th Century save for perhaps China, which purports to be communist but have rather lax rules for business). He/she was right that giving to causes is probably smarter though, but there are charities that help the homeless.

@level4paperboy
Soup kitchens can only do so much. There's a limit to how much food they can buy (food can be kind of expensive) and therefore a limit to how many people they can feed. Most homeless people eat out of the garbage, which ain't that clean. And people with mental disabilities tend to have a tough time pulling themselves out of the gutter. I remember watching a documentary on released mental patients. this one guy, who if I remember correctly had bipolar disorder and had been institutionalized for most of his life, was released during the 80s. He went down to Florida and lived behind a dumpster and "marked his territory" with his own feces. He then started climbing on a war memorial and defecated on it to emulate the birds. How's that guy going to "get his act together" and get his life back on track? Chances are it was never on track to begin with.

weixiaobao
January 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
off topic

Yes, the war was stupid, but that didn't stop people from hating Nam vets.

in the end only soldiers and those who dead suffer :(

Yeah, your econ teacher is either crazy or a neo conservative (or both). First off we don't have a capitalist economy, we have a mixed economy (along with every other country in the Western world since the 19th Century save for perhaps China, which purports to be communist but have rather lax rules for business). He/she was right that giving to causes is probably smarter though, but there are charities that help the homeless.

US teacher usually teach both side of the coin, eventhough he always try to correct himself and not leaning in either way of the issue.. but this time he keep repeating that so i figure that what he believe.. and yeah i don't why people keep saying Capitalist is perfect and communism is suck (capitalist is great but it is still developing but its history is some what cruel some) (and communism will never be achieve)

on topic

Anyhow, it is hard for homeless people to find jobs. Most jop apps require you to fill in your address, and if you are homeless you don't have one. Most places tend not to hire the homeless.

thank for answering, i wonder how can we get the homeless off the street if we don't give job... and a home (even if run down and crowed)

@level4paperboy
Soup kitchens can only do so much. There's a limit to how much food they can buy (food can be kind of expensive) and therefore a limit to how many people they can feed. Most homeless people eat out of the garbage, which ain't that clean. And people with mental disabilities tend to have a tough time pulling themselves out of the gutter. I remember watching a documentary on released mental patients. this one guy, who if I remember correctly had bipolar disorder and had been institutionalized for most of his life, was released during the 80s. He went down to Florida and lived behind a dumpster and "marked his territory" with his own feces. He then started climbing on a war memorial and defecated on it to emulate the birds. How's that guy going to "get his act together" and get his life back on track? Chances are it was never on track to begin with.

speaking of that can we treat them like children and move them into some place .. (are those consider beggar or hobo )

I think beggar are at least smarter..

Paper
January 29, 2008, 06:07 AM
@jack- thats what we have mental institutions for. i know i may sound cold for saying that i don't like them, but thats just how i feel. compassion just isn't one of my trates...

_ATMA
January 30, 2008, 05:54 AM

----

back to topic

i dont agree with that point of view either honestly its brutal homeless people can be working and perfectly good people of society. if it werent for gov. programs and things like welfare my good friend kris and his family, would still be homeless and living out of the back of their car :/ they were homeless for 2 years. and YES a homeless person can find a job if they work hard enough and have are skilled enough. not everyone is lucky enough in life to get by easily and hit some gravely points in life, just because of that we should deny them the help they may need to get by?
[hr]
i just remembered about a story i read about a month ago about a japanese homless man who started one of japans biggest internet web design companies. he found a laptop in the trash and fixed it and from there he went to learn html and the basics of the internet then started doing low cost budget contracts for work until he worked his way up to being a major company so yea i guess its possible for anything :P

mrcongojack
January 30, 2008, 12:33 PM
@jack- thats what we have mental institutions for. i know i may sound cold for saying that i don't like them, but thats just how i feel. compassion just isn't one of my trates...

The problem in America is, Reagan stopped funding them and they got shut down, leaving the mentally ill to roam the streets and to become a big portion of our homeless.

KyanWan
January 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
If I know the guy's going to the package store to pick up some booze - I won't give him shit.

But, if it's late - the guy looks hungry - etc - I mean, what am I going to do with a few bucks?

Pick up some junk food? Come on.

I give the guy a few bucks - go eat something. The dude needs something to eat more than I need another snack. One guy - I gave him enough to get a decent meal ... the guy literally broke down and cried.

Some people actually need the help.

We don't have too many guys wandering around like that up here. Maybe because we've got places for em to go.