PDA

View Full Version : So... how did I do? ^_^

Dubby
February 04, 2008, 10:10 PM
To make a long story short, I want critique. My editing skills have gotten rusty as hell so I did a practice sheet just now.

For once in my life, I took EXTRA care. I zoomed in 500% and deleted EVERY LITTLE piece of dirt.

Now I want YOU to tell me what you think [AND CRITIQUE PLEASE!]

The raw I used: http://edit.unblessed.net/practice/practice_3.jpg

Final Outcome: http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9830/practicefinalmv0.jpg

This was just practice, so I just used a random scan. >_> Series? I don't know, nor do I care.

See by the gutterhole how I took extra care fixing the line so that it didn't bend? 8D The top line in the 1st panel. It took me 10 minutes. roflrofl. I don't even know why I'm so picky - it's not like people care that much for a stupid line not being perfect. -_- *gets shot*

I'm also worried about the castle. The background in that panel I re-did [dunno if you can tell]. It was EFFING hard as hell to try to get the rid of the original white stuff. -_- You know, in the original language. The clone tool did not work because of the gradient tone that was used. So I ended up spending 30 minutes re-doing the background. >__> Kill me.

HEY, I ACTUALLY LIKE IT. YOU BETTER LIKE IT TOO. >[

One thing that REALLY worries me...

After the whole cleaning process, I was about to start typesetting. HOWEVER, I noticed something...

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6882/practice2copyyy9.jpg

BY THE CASTLE TOWER! Do you see it? That WHITE BRUSH slash.

I had carelessly made that mistake. STUPID TABLET. *stabs it* Well, needless to say, because of the limited times I can un-do something, I could not un-do the brush slash. >_>

So I went emo for a few minutes before attempting to fix it. 2 minutes later, this was the result:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8222/practice2fixedcopyku0.jpg

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I see something wrong with the leaves by the tower. o_o

Feel free to pin-point even the [B]SMALLEST errors. I'm a perfectionist - and I take that word to the extreme.

...enough ranting. Just critique.

Emery
February 05, 2008, 12:04 AM
Well, my biggest critique is the screentone replacement in the main panel. It's a tankobon page, so the quality of the tones were nice enough to be left alone. You replaced a perfectly fine screentone with an ugly film grain. There are several ways of editing on gradient tones.

Just practice with it. I edit out SFX on gradient tones all the time (see my group's releases of BECK.)

That page would be a walk in the park for you with a little practice. Trust me.

illiteracy
February 05, 2008, 10:35 PM
Emery's right about the cloning, just use the region to the left of the text as the source for most of it. Try to avoid taking too much if any from the right side, as it's influenced by the gutter shadow.

I think it's important to note the bits of dirt you left in the text bubbles (as it generally annoys me to no end). The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th bubble all have fairly noticeable dirt at 100%. There's a few specks below the girl(I think)'s face at the top, some specks in the top left panel, and a few in the bottom left.

The whites are a bit underleveled but the blacks appear to be okay. Gutter shadows are tricky to deal with, and as far as that goes about all I can suggest is the unblessed tutorial.

Hopefully this was constructive, good luck with the rest of your editing.

ddadain
February 09, 2008, 10:22 AM
Removal of the screentone is unneeded.

You removed quite a bit of the right side because of the "gutter shadow" which really isn't a gutter shadow because it does not angle away.

Is the page a double spread??? -_-

Now the secret in doing cloning screentones without making it obvious is the brush used and how zoomed in you are. Don't use the normal hard brush but use the more softer brush err... lol ;D I won't divulge everything. You can also zoom in enough to box in a uniform screentone thingy (squares) then just copy paste -_-

These ways are much faster.

If you want to remove SFX, you MUST be ready to remove ALL the sfxs... lest you be inconsistent.