PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

neji1988
April 02, 2007, 07:40 PM
ya T_T its tml nigt...DARN IT lol i will be Rooting for Man U all the way.....ITS A TREBLE YEAR FOR MAN U BABY WOOOHOOO

luxxifer
April 02, 2007, 09:03 PM
I JUST BECAME A USSF REFEREE!!!! also my last year coach use to play for Portsmith
its totally off topic and random so sorry

Epul
April 02, 2007, 09:08 PM
Yes, I agree with you there neji. It could be another treble year for man utd. Let's cross our fingers and hope it does happend.

neji1988
April 03, 2007, 12:18 AM
No epul....IT IS GONNA HAPPEN GO MAN U woooohooooo

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 03, 2007, 01:01 PM
Is anyone here as excited as I am about tonight's match up in the Champions League. Forza Milan!!!

neji1988
April 03, 2007, 01:01 PM
i am not THAT excitied abt it lol i am more excitied of tml match..with MAN U

Epul
April 03, 2007, 07:39 PM
Well I watched the milan vs bayern game. What a cracking game it was. It ended 2-2. Bayern scored a very, very late equaliser and milan got a penalty that should not have been given.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 04, 2007, 02:47 PM
Man Utd is currently trailing 0-1 to Roma and Chelsea is a goal behind against Valencia. Looks like the second half would be a good game. :D

neji1988
April 04, 2007, 08:18 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO T_T Man U lost T_T *cursing* DARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......BUt its alright T_T they got 1 away goal...soo its ok..they should defend it when roma goes to Old trafford

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 05, 2007, 06:25 PM
I think they're gonna do beat Roma on the next match. I think Man Utd have depended on Vidic too much. It's just isnt the same without him on the field. But you gotta admit, Rooney's goal is awesome. :D

Epul
April 08, 2007, 07:38 PM
Bad week for man utd..... lost to roma and then lost to portsmouth....... man utd's lead at the top of the premier league is just three points.....lost vidic through injuries.... hopefully things don't get any worse in the coming weeks.....

ibra87
April 10, 2007, 04:31 PM
... 7-1 ManU - Roma

That's Manchester United for ya. Let's see if they can keep that up.

neji1988
April 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
7-1 BABY WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO 8-3 arrg WHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 10, 2007, 07:43 PM
I hope Carrick will keep scoring, he's turning out to be more like Brian McClair but with Keano's tenacity. :D
I hope AC Milan will win against Bayern today. But that would mean a semifinal match between Man Utd and AC Milan.... :wtf

Epul
April 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
All Man utd fans rejoice!!! What a performance from man utd. 7-1 win against Roma!!! Glory! Glory! Man Utd! It doesn't matter who comes in the semifinal, united gonna crush them flat!

Lohnt
April 10, 2007, 08:18 PM
I hate to admit it, but after seeing today's match, Christiano Ronaldo is a freaking man possessed by a demon..

Compared to the crap he used to be two years ago, this champions league season he's been incredible. And Man Utd is probably my pick for the winner this year. Milan plays when they decide to, and MU is just dominating.. I honestly think they can play this well again, and I think we'll see it again in the final.

GrayFoxx
April 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
God damn I really hate that preety boy Cristiano Ronaldo, he's such a wuss. I know he is really good in football but personally I HATE HIM!

can someone tell me what matches are going to be next in champions league ??

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
The next match will be the Semifinal
The teams playing will be:
Manchester United vs AC Milan (April 24th 2007 & May 2nd 2007)
Liverpool vs Chelsea (April 25th 2007 & May 01 2007)

Xophien
April 15, 2007, 06:48 AM
Wanna know why it's soooo great to watch french league matches ? Here are the scores of the eight matches played yesterday :

Bordeaux 0-0 Paris-SG
Nantes 0-0 Lens
Toulouse 2-0 Auxerre
Lille 2-0 Sochaux
Valenciennes 0-0 Marseille
Le Mans 0-0 Rennes
Lorient 0-0 Monaco
Troyes 0-0 Nancy

Yup, eight matches, four goals. If there's less than 5 goals scored in the two matches left to play tonight, it's gonna be a record for french league :oh

Just a thought, can the EPL lend us MU for next year ? We're giving you Lyon if you want :shakefist

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 15, 2007, 06:54 AM
That is one weird score lines, Xoph. :XD

And no to the MU trade with Lyon. The treble is closer now after beating Watford 4-1 in the FA Cup Semifinal.

Epul
April 15, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yep united are through to the final and so is chelsea. There could also be a possibility of a man utd against chelsea in the champion's league final as well....

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
Man Utd and Chelsea are competing for three different titles this season. I hope they'll meet in all third. :D

pseudorca
April 17, 2007, 10:20 AM
glory glory man united!!! ^.^
the list of injuries are kinda worrying though...

Epul
April 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Man utd beat sheffield utd 2-0 last night. Goals scored by Carrick and Rooney. Let's see if chelsea can match it when they play tonight. (my personal thought: I hope not... :p )

bax
April 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
No offense but I'm out against MU >.>

I am hoping this season's champions league won't be a Milan vs Liverpool repeat. It was such a heartbreak when Milan lost after leading 3-0 before :wtf

rykarreolacr
April 18, 2007, 07:09 AM
Jesus... how can Milan still be in Champions League with that crappy and old team...? Have they even played against a strong team yet? Those lucky...

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 18, 2007, 07:34 AM
Milan was actually waiting to meet Inter, but alas... :D

But i do have split decision concerning the semifinal match between Milan vs Man Utd. They're both my favorite team...

GrayFoxx
April 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
EURO 2012 Poland & Ukraine ! ! !

:)

Epul
April 24, 2007, 08:46 PM
Champion's League Semifinal 1st Leg result:
Man Utd 3-2 AC Milan

Yeah!!! Man utd won!!!
Rooney got two goals and Ronaldo scored one for man utd. Kaka scored two goals for AC Milan. It was a great game. The return leg is gonna be very interesting indeed.

Lohnt
April 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
Man U did well today, now they need to win one more and take down Chelsey for the win.
*cough damn English only final cough*

I'm glad Milan lost, they've been slacking along the entire competition. Kaka is their whole team more or less, and they pissed me off when they let Lille defeat them in the groups. Go C. Ronaldo! you damn one trick pony.. (notice how he ALWAYS uses the same exact dribble/fakeout when he attacks the small area from the right?)

seorang
April 26, 2007, 09:42 AM
An english only final sucks arse. None of the finals where both sides are from the same country entertain.

Lohnt
April 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
Well it looks like the Cup finals will be a Spanish only side too.. what are you gonna do? The problem is that soccer quality has dropped lately, did you even SEE the last world penalty cup?

Anyway, I think M.U. has a great formula, and they are very likely to return, I'd say next year will be very very interesting.
Milan is possibly going to have 2 more Brazilian nationals on their roster, Real Madrid is buying a lot of good potential players, Barca will get over their slump, and Man U will continue to be strong.

In Budesliga news: Gekas is unstoppable, God DAMN Greece hasn't had a striker this good in the past 6 years, and one that is playing in a non-Greek team in the past 12 and I am SOOOO glad he's going to Leverkeusen next year. By 2009 I expect British/Spanish teams to be throwing money at him too if he continues this way.

I'm not too excited about the Milan-Man U. rematch though, this weekend, they're both facing really tough games and they may lose in order to reserve their strength for the Champions League.. in which case that game may be a 1-0 0-0 match or something.. I could of course be wrong.

seorang
April 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
Am I supposed to do anything? I can't knockout teams.

Quality of soccer has dropped...... thats iffy. Depends on what you define quality.

Lohnt
April 27, 2007, 11:53 PM
Having to decide half the World Cup games by penalties = bad quality.

seorang
April 28, 2007, 12:29 AM
Would you rather they keep going until they dropped dead?

I agree that penalty shootouts are by no means a fair decider, but that has nothing to do with quality of the game.

Lohnt
April 28, 2007, 12:51 AM
I would prefer that either coaches teach their forwards how to score, or just play more open games and lose if they have to because having 9 players in the small area when the other team attacks is ridiculous and it means that national teams don't trust their defensive players at all.

Besides it has gone down, watch soccer in the 70's and you'll see incredible players/teams. Watch it in the 90's even and you'll still see better games than you do now, even if they are 3-3 games every second makes you scream in anticipation rather than what goes on now with nothing but defense.

I'm not again defense, it's how Greece stole the Euro in 04, but hey defense when it counts, not ignore your game COMPLETELY and just sit there defending.
It's not fun to watch 9 players behind the half, and a single player chasing the goal.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 28, 2007, 01:27 AM
But still, there are great games even now. 0-0 scoreline doesnt look that bad during the Sweden vs Trinidad Tobago match in the last World Cup. And you couldn't say that both team play a defensive games, Sweden made almost 20 shots on goal, but T&T goalkeepers kept them all out.
And playing a defensive game isnt all that bad. AC Milan won against Bayern Munchen on their last meeting after a wonderful display of catenaccio and they won 2-0. And nowadays it's not just the forwards that are looking to put their name on the scoresheet, players like Frank Lampard, Steven Gerard, or Iniesta has scored many times. It's a whole different ball game now. We can still see alot of good forwards scoring great goals, like Hernan Crespo & Adriano at Inter, or Drogba & Shevchenko at Chelsea (even if Sheva didnt score that much of a goal, poor guy), but nobody seems to mind when the midfield or defense players also got their name(s) on the scoresheet.

It's not just about how many goals scored in a match, it's also the passion and the tenacity of the players that makes the game the best game in the world.

Lohnt
April 28, 2007, 01:43 AM
I never said I minded 1-0 games that are great, I said I minded games decided by Penalties, especially if it's a 0-0 game + overtime.

I honestly have no problem with the crazy 3-3 games that have penalties, or even the 1-0 games. I LIVE for the 1-0 incredible games, but the last world cup was just not exciting at all for me.. nor for any media outlet I even watch.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
April 28, 2007, 08:55 AM
Manchester Utd won 2-4 against Everton!! w00t!!!!!!
Chelsea drew 2-2. :D

Epul
April 29, 2007, 08:12 PM
Man utd are so close to the title now. If Chelsea drew against Arsenal and Man utd beat Man City this weekend, that will be all she wrote...... GLORY, GLORY MAN UTD!!!!

Lohnt
May 04, 2007, 01:41 PM
Milan won.. no raped...

So it's Liverpool vs Milan in a 2005 rematch.
I don't want to root for either.

Milan have been showing a sub-par show in the Champions League, they played when they wanted to and lost games out of lazyness when they didn't. Also, they cost my favorite team the advance by losing to Lille in the group stage.

Liverpool is.. i don't know w/e not a fan, but I don't necessarily hate them.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
May 06, 2007, 03:30 AM
Did anyone saw Man City vs Man Utd last night. I dunno, but looks to me both penalties came from diving. Don't get me wrong, i'm happy United won, but Ronaldo is "famous" for his graceful fall. Oh well, two more match to go. :D

Epul
May 06, 2007, 08:52 PM
Chelsea drew 1-1 with arsenal!! That means man united are the premier league champion!!!!! Glory Glory!!! Man utd!!! Next up is the FA cup final against Chelsea. Go man utd!!

thegreatest08
May 09, 2007, 05:20 PM
Man utd drew with Chelsea 0-0 in the prem.

bebekhappy
May 10, 2007, 07:08 AM
So they won the title right?? congrats for MU...even though i still hold a grudge on them for killing Roma 7-1 in quarter final...LoL .I'm Roma fan and it's sad to see them out from CL with that kind of beating. Anyway congrats for MU :D, God i really wish to see Milan having they sweet revenge on Liverpool in CL final :D

I hope Serie-A will be more competitive when Juventus made their comeback from Serie-B. I'm not sayin' that i hate Inter for winning the scudetto, they deserve it...but it's seem they become too superior after the calciopolli thing.

Zaloof
May 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
Roma pawned Inter-Milan 6-2 in the finals cup

bebekhappy
May 23, 2007, 04:07 PM
Woohoooo.......
MILAN won!!!!......MILAN won the UCL!!....FORZA MILAN!!!!

GrayFoxx
May 23, 2007, 04:38 PM
Well, I'm not so happy about that, I don't simpatize with Milan or Liverpool, either way it would be bad news for me :p But anyway congratulations to Milan, They won the Match, fair and square. Ichi~ must be going wild, right now :XD

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
May 23, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yes I am, Foxxi. I just got back from celebrating with my friends after watching the match at a local sports bar here. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Forza Milan!! Super Pippo!! *regains composure* So, yeah.. Milan won, but imo Liverpool won the ball possession too bad this time they didn't won the cup too. :D

Epul
May 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
congrats milan. But I think all milan fans were biting their nails when Liverpool scored :XD

Koen
May 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
yep I was happy to watch how milan won. The final wasn't as good as the uefa, but still the second goal of milan was a beauty

ibra87
May 26, 2007, 03:44 PM
Seeing the BAR-GET match.

So much for the greatest player, it was some nice kicks though :XD

and the referee was smiling when he gave Eto a yellow card. Good stuff :D

Seiken
June 07, 2007, 06:52 AM
Yay, it's time for Silly Season! XD

What kind of rumors will be told this summer, however unlikely they may be? What kind of shocking transfer will happen? And whick star-player will Real Madrid push on to sign? Coming soon!

...personally I just hope they stay away Titi and Cesc, then I will be pleased. The chances of Arsenal buying a top-rated player for more than €10, I will wax my legs. I swear.

GrayFoxx
June 07, 2007, 06:55 AM
Poland vs. Armenia - 0:1

I still can't believe it, I mean earlier in this Euro Qualifications we won even against Portugal!

And now... It's just... uhh...

coolitman
June 07, 2007, 09:44 AM
yay england beat estonia! lol and david beckham's back yay!!!

portugal sucks grrr

thegreatest08
June 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
holland 3-0 against sum one (cant remember the name)

holland is gonna win the euro nxt year.

Epul
June 11, 2007, 09:24 PM
You tip Holland to win the euro next year thegreatest? that's a good bet since they have quality players but they tend to not perform on the big stage... Same goes to Spain and England ^^;

thegreatest08
June 13, 2007, 05:11 PM
tats kinda true...but in the holland squad they havent got all the good players since Van Basten became the manager.

ibra87
June 14, 2007, 07:09 AM
Yeah, even if you say since Basten became managaer, IMO they've always had big players. They've just never had a good teamwork~ Let's see if that got better this time.

thegreatest08
June 17, 2007, 05:10 AM
that kinda tru...cos some of the players think their the best on the team. like on the last WC ruud van nistelrooy and Arjen Robben.

ibra87
June 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah... that's what leads them to their downfall :darn

Oh, and 10 minutes from now Real Madrid will win the La Liga :nuts

EDIT: They are champions!!! At last. Poor Barca, winning 5-1 for nothing.

Seiken
June 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
Real Madrid, champions at last! It only took them, what, four years? :P

thegreatest08
June 18, 2007, 09:18 AM
It was a tough battle for both of them....both won but real won with the goal difference(i think).

i wished barca would win it again....but they cant have everything.

Renji88
June 18, 2007, 09:29 AM
both won but real won with the goal difference(i think).

Real madrid won against barcelona 2-0 (raul, van nistelrooy)
the second time they finished with 3-3

thanks to the first victory real madrid won the Liga

(and thanks to the great fabio capello....grande don fabio, sei il migliore)

Epul
June 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
Well, in my opinion, I think Barcelona threw the title away. They could have won it long before the season end. That's just how football is, if you don't take your chances, it's gonna come back and haunt you. Just one more thing I would like to say, Capello is considered a hero now at real madrid. I find it weird since Real fans were booing, critisizing him and asking for him to step down a few months ago when Real was not doing that well. :p

Seiken
June 19, 2007, 03:48 AM
Just one more thing I would like to say, Capello is considered a hero now at real madrid. I find it weird since Real fans were booing, critisizing him and asking for him to step down a few months ago when Real was not doing that well. :p

Well, hypocrites are everywhere. There are many Man Utd-fans I know that said that Alex Ferguson should been sacked lasted year, but they have naturally changed their mind.

Renji88
June 19, 2007, 04:38 AM
Just one more thing I would like to say, Capello is considered a hero now at real madrid. I find it weird since Real fans were booing, critisizing him and asking for him to step down a few months ago when Real was not doing that well. :p

capello is always criticized, but he always win

in Italy, juventus supporters still hate him for his methods and they didn't want his return (except me xD)

thegreatest08
June 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
capello might not be with Real next season.....i heard he was gonna retire.

Epul
June 20, 2007, 09:15 PM
Retire?? I heard he is gonna be sacked and will be replaced by Schuster the current Getafe manager. I guess taking Real to their first league title in four years is not enough for Capello to keep his job.....

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
June 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
Well, his biggest mistake (i think) that he sold beckham. i know becks got a cosmopolitan metrosexual male reputation, but he still serves the best cross and freekicks.

Lohnt
July 16, 2007, 06:01 PM
U19 talk:

Greece beat Portugal yay! Memories of 2004 =p

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 05, 2007, 12:12 PM
Did anyone catch the Manchester United vs Chelsea match for the Community Shield. Van der Sar was awesome!!!!! He stopped three consecutives penalties. Ferdinand, Carrick and Rooney scored three for United. Hope United'll get more silverware by the end of the season. :D

Epul
August 05, 2007, 12:29 PM
Oh yeah ichi i did catch that game. In fact i just came back from watching it with my friends. It was awesome!!! First blood for man utd!!!! :jbya The fact that Chelsea didn't score even one penalty really made my day. Van der Sar was awesome!!!! But i did have my fingers in my mouth when i saw ferdinand taking the first penalty. Thank god he scored... :XD

edit- Nani didn't have a good game coming off the bench though..... he looked nervous... hopefully he plays better next time.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 06, 2007, 02:10 PM
Well, he's kinda young and that game is pretty much his first taste of the "big" league (not to say that he came from a smaller league). But is it just me or Ronaldo was a bit busy showboating and wasted several chances too many?

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 12:47 AM
i was quite bored so then i remembered this thread and just came to gloat about Man U abysmal performance against city,
oh and was wondering if anybody was going to catch the england vs Germany friendly this Wednesday. *nows runs away before the man u fans attack:p *

Epul
August 20, 2007, 07:51 AM
Yep united is in a bit of a mess now but being a loyal Man utd fan, I'm gonna look at Man utd abysmal start of the season in a positive manner. Yes, united only scored 1 goal in three games and they are still without a win, but they played really well in those three games (even without rooney and ronaldo). They dominated the game, created lots of chances. They are just unlucky with the finishing touch.... so, in my humble opinion, it is just a matter of time before united starts hammering the goals in thus winning games. But they better start doing it soon, or they are gonna be in real trouble.... :XD

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 08:04 AM
Yep united is in a bit of a mess now but being a loyal Man utd fan, I'm gonna look at Man utd abysmal start of the season in a positive manner. Yes, united only scored 1 goal in three games and they are still without a win, but they played really well in those three games (even without rooney and ronaldo). They dominated the game, created lots of chances. They are just unlucky with the finishing touch.... so, in my humble opinion, it is just a matter of time before united starts hammering the goals in thus winning games. But they better start doing it soon, or they are gonna be in real trouble.... :XD

That is very good of you, if my team performs really bad, i usually curse the player responsible for a couple of weeks (is still cursing Lehmann:mad), and anyway its united worst start to a season in 15 years :oh (i kinda feel sorry for you), and Rooney means big trouble for england in their friendly against Germany:amuse

Epul
August 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
Well as I've said, they did play well so I don't see the point of cursing them they are just unlucky at the moment in my opinion (but i think if I am an arsenal fan, I would be mad at Lehman too :p ). But with that said, I am still sad about what is happening to united at the moment :scry
About the England vs Germany game, I think Rooney is important to England and they would miss him dearly. Don't know who's gonna play striker but I think Andy Johnson is a good choice at the moment.

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
Mad at lehmann? that is the tip of the iceberg, he made two mishaps in one week. The first almost nearly lost us the match, and the second one we had to settle with a draw.:nerve. Mad at lehmann? no i am not mad i am F****** livid.

anyway i think Gerrard wont be playing as well, he injured his foot and was playing on painkillers in Liverpool match against Chelsea.

Epul
August 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
No Gerrard as well?, so it would be Lampard and Hargreaves in Midfield then. Well, at least John Terry is back.

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 09:21 AM
well i think england's gonna lose, Germany is a good side, so i would say it will probably end 2:1 to Germany, or end in a draw *not being patriotic:p *

Epul
August 20, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'll say this, I don't fancy England to win it, but if they do win it, it's gonna be a big boost to McClaren.

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 09:47 AM
well if he does lose, everybody will be after his blood , and if he wins nobody will say they doubted him:p. But personally i think the pressure will soon get too him, and he will crack and that is when the tabloids will jump and devour him.

Epul
August 20, 2007, 11:09 AM
And also that's the time England will be needing a new manager which I'm sure they are gonna have trouble finding a suitable replacement...

Imperium
August 20, 2007, 03:51 PM
yea, but i still wished scolari would've become the manager, i mean england have good players and young talent its just that the manager is the missing link

Seiken
August 23, 2007, 11:00 AM
well i think england's gonna lose, Germany is a good side, so i would say it will probably end 2:1 to Germany, or end in a draw *not being patriotic:p *
You could not be more right...

Imperium
August 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yes,my prediction was right:confetti well anyway after the first Lampard goal, i thought england had it in the bag but it seems i was mistaken:amuse

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
Owen needs to get his scoring touch back, he missed some awesome chances. Beckham wasn't bad either. But, what's up with Paul Robinson?! That's no way for a goalkeeper treat a crossball!

Epul
August 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
I've just got the news, Liverpool have beaten Sunderland 2-0 with goals from Sissoko and Voronin. Voronin scored his first premier league goal.

Imperium
August 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
forget Liverpool, Arsenal have won and we were the ones to stop Man City miracle lead:D, YAY :occa (lets celebrate:p )

Epul
August 27, 2007, 09:26 AM
I know this is kinda late but I had to say it, Yaaaay!!!! Man Utd finally got their first win of the season. They beat Spurs 1-0. Awesome strike by Nani.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 27, 2007, 10:45 AM
Nani won Player of The Week, if i'm not mistaken. And his goal was Goal of the week to.
In Palermo vs Roma, Aquilani made a similar goal, and IMO it's better than Nani's. But still, Man Utd won!!! :dance

Oh, AC Milan also won 0-3 away at Genoa thanks to a goal by Ambrosini and two others from Kaka (including a penalty). :D

Epul
August 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
Let's hope Man Utd will have more wins to come. Tevez is yet to get going in Man utd colours. Hope to see more from him. Man utd have to put someone to support him upfront, hopefully, saha will be fit for the next game...... Oh yeah, Anderson is yet to start, maybe Fergie should try playing him alongside tevez.

Zwivix
August 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
So do you guys think that Beckam is better off in the U.S. or should he have stayed in England.

Is he really gonna get the American peoples attention and start making them like soccer or is this just a lost casue?

Personally I think he should have stayed in England casue the U.S. is a lost casue with soccer, they will never like it, I hope the MLS see's that and send Beckam back!

Imperium
August 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Well beckham went there solely for the money, and if his game drops that his own fault, and i don't think the la galaxy would ever sell him, the publicity they gained just by him joining is crazy, over here (england) there is a whole show devoted to analyzing mls football - after he joined them.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 27, 2007, 11:39 AM
@Epul: I hope so too. I can't wait to see Tevez and Rooney up front, and maybe with Anderson they can use three strikers.

@Zwivix: I prefer Beckham to stay in Europe, but i guess his wife's too much of a celebrity. and his moving to LA could help her revamp Spice Girls. :D

Zwivix
August 27, 2007, 11:42 AM
Curse you beckham...its true that they would never sell him but still i dont want him here!:mad

So have you watched the show?

I've also seen a growing amount of shows devoted to anaylzing the MLS but most people i talk to say they really dont care, since the NFL season is starting up. We have to admit that Americans will always watch Football(American Football) instead of Soccer (Football for the rest of the world).

Ok i got another issue with the U.S. and soccer. Why do they have to call it soccer? they have to be individuals..Everyone else does something one way but the U.S. will do it another way. WTF up wit that?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 27, 2007, 11:45 AM
IMO, The Galaxy just bought him cause his being there could mean major revenue for the team. Just look at every Galaxy match after Beckham came, a lot of people are wearing a jersey with his name on it.
I saw the show and it's just some publicity stunt to boost his "image".
And i don't think US is the only country to call it Soccer. :D

Imperium
August 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
Ok to put it simply the show is crap, i tried to watch it but got bored in the opening credits:p , and as for Americans and this soccer thing, you should probably ask a American:amuse *shouts* "Hello!!! Americans where are you "

Epul
August 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
I haven't seen Beckham play for LA Galaxy, but from what I read and heard, he didn't play particularly well..... In fact, I believe his ability as a player might go down a bit since he is not playing with top players anymore, he would be much better playing in England... but what's done is done, Beckham might had spelled his own downfall.....
As for Americans, I agree with Zwivix, they are always gonna watch NFL over football, but then again, I don't think most Americans have watched a good football game before, so most of them couldn't possibly know why the rest of the world call football the most beautiful game in the world. It's a shame really, cause the America national team do play some good football....

Imperium
August 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
Well its probably for certain that his skills will decrease, im not insulting the mls but i dont think he will be able to handle top-flight football if he continues in that league, but then again pele ended his career with a mls team so he might just be taking a leaf out of "The king of football's" book:p

Lohnt
August 30, 2007, 02:16 PM
Just in case any futbal fans missed the news, recently two very tragic things happened leading to the delayed match between Aek Fc - Sevilla Fc in Athens.

The first was the multitude of fires killing 60+ innocents in Greece, UEFA was completely cold however towards this event, and refused to reschedule the match.

The second however was the death of Puerta, a defensive player of Sevilla FC who has won various titles and plays on the first team. He was only 22, this is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFc25Hym6q8&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esport24%2Egr%2Fhtml%2Fent%2F592%2Fent%2E193592%2Easp) of the match where his heart fails the first time, *WARNING IT IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART*

I am very sorry for his families loss, but at the same time am bitter at UEFA for playing favoritism towards a Spanish team over a Greek one. 64 Greek deaths do not even equal one of a Spaniard according to their standards. None-the-less, I am very serious about being very saddened by his passing. He was a great player and he will be missed.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
August 30, 2007, 03:03 PM
I saw that news too, refii. And never once did they mention it during the drawing of the Champions League group matches.
I saw Puerta's news too and has there been any official news of the cause besides multiple organ failures? Maybe he was overworked, like Marc Vivien Foe while playing for his country.

So many tragedy in football lately. Man Utd just had Ole Gunnar Solksjaer retiring due to his knee injuries. I can still remember Babyface tipping the ball into Olie Kahn's goal. And then when Man Utd was up 2-0 against Boro with Cole scoring both goals. Ole came in as sub and he ended up scoring 4 goals for United. He's one of the best!

Imperium
September 02, 2007, 09:38 AM
The second however was the death of Puerta, a defensive player of Sevilla FC who has won various titles and plays on the first team. He was only 22, this is a video of the match where his heart fails the first time, *WARNING IT IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART*

Yes that really was a tragedy.

i also wanted to say that the premiership this week, seems to have a had goal frenzy most teams were scoring like crazy (ie liverpool:p), and i also wanted to congratulate arsenal for winning 3:1:whoo :thumbs :woo

Epul
September 02, 2007, 12:35 PM
@ichi- yeah i'm sad that ole is retiring too....definitely a natural goal scorer if i've ever saw one... he even bang in goals coming off the bench! Great player and will be missed by all Man Utd fan.....

Fernando Torres is on a fire at the moment.... and man united have been grinding out 1-0 results as of late but good news that saha is back and Ronaldo suspension has ended.

Just got the news, Chelsea got beaten by Aston villa 2-0.

Imperium
September 02, 2007, 12:42 PM
Just got the news, Chelsea got beaten by Aston villa 2-0.

I am almost crying from happiness we jumped to second place:thumbs, i missed that match though:( , if chelsea lost it must have been on hell of match:amuse

Epul
September 02, 2007, 12:53 PM
I miss the match too. But from what i read, Chelsea dominated the possession but didn't create much. So, I think it's one of those days for Chelsea.... :XD

Imperium
September 02, 2007, 01:12 PM
yes, it happens to all the good teams, but im not gonna feel sorry for them :D. (I think i hear some aston villa fans coming down the road - the stadium is not that far away - and they sound happy:p).

Mendes
September 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
Heh lots of premier league fans in here. How would your perfect premier league team be?

Mine:
GK-Sorensen
Center Backs-Carvalho, R.Ferdinand, Terry
Midfielders-Gerrard, Essien, Fabregas
Wingers-Ronaldo, Van Persie
Strikers-Drogba, Rooney

Not even 1988's Holland could stop this :P

Epul
September 17, 2007, 01:19 PM
@mendes- I am surprised you picked Sorensen as your keeper. He is a good keeper though. In terms of goalkeeper, I think Kasper Schemeichel and Craig Gordon is definitely one for the future. Especially Kasper Schemeichel, he is doing exceptionally well at the moment.

My perfect premier league team:
GK- Petr Cech
Defence- Gary Neville, John Terry, Micah Nemanja Vidic, Ashley Cole
Midfield- Cristiano Ronaldo, Steven Gerrard, Michael Essien, Ryan Giggs
Striker- Wayne Rooney, Berbatov

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 17, 2007, 02:27 PM
Well, mine would be:

GK: Peter Schmeichel (can't beat big old dad even if his son is awesome, so far)
Defenders: Gary Neville, Tony Adams, John Terry, Dennis Irwin
Midfield: Eric Cantona, Bobby Robson
Wingers: David Beckham and George Best
Strikers: Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer
Subs: Michael Owen, Jamie Redknapp, Collin Hendry, Dennis Law, Gordon Banks, Roy Keane, Ian Rush

I know, it's a bit Man Utd-centric and a very attacking team. But they're good, imho and who needs that much defense when my team can score more than any team. :XD

Mendes
September 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
@Epul

I find Giggs's last games too poor. He isnt nowhere near what he used to be...
That team is top notch too, but I'm surprised you picked Vidic. He's a good defender alright, but I think he's not as good as Ferdinand, Carvalho or even Campbell and Micah Richards

@Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

If we're to put the retired ones then you gotta put Bergkamp in it :P (and if beckham counts i'd also put Henry on it ;P)

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 18, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hey, you're absolutely right, Mendes! How on earth did i forget to put Bergkamp on the list. The Non-flying Dutchman got flair, mad football skills and awesome passing. It's a shame that Bergkamp and Overmars retired too soon. :D

Now, how about Serie-A?
My perfect Serie-A team would be:

GK: Gianluigi Buffon
Defenders: Javier Zanetti, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini
Midfielders: Zinedine Zidane, Marcel Desailly
Wingers: Juan Sebastian Veron, Kaka'
Strikers: Marco Van Basten, Diego Maradona
Subs: Dino Zoff, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Gabriel Omar Batistuta, Alessandro Nesta, Roberto Baggio, Edgar Davids

Epul
September 19, 2007, 08:34 AM
@Mendes- I agree he did not play well last time and he is not as fast as he was 10 years ago but no surprise there. However he is still one of the best left winger ever in the premier league. Considering how old he is, he is still able to contribute a lot to the team. As for vidic, I just like him for his no nonsense defending. Which in my opinion ferdinand lacks.. He also scores goals from headers which is a big plus.

Bergkamp was an awesome player alright. I still remember the times I used to hate him during his time at arsenal since I'm a Man utd fan :XD and I still find it funny that he hates to fly :XD

My perfect serie- A team:
GK- Gianlugi Buffor
Defenders- Paolo Maldini, Alessandro Nesta, Ivan Cordoba, Cafu
Midfielders- Kaka, Nedved, Gattuso, Alessandro Del Piero
Striker- Luca Toni, Iaquinta

Mendes
September 19, 2007, 02:53 PM
Serie A perfect team:

GK-Buffon
Defs-Maldini(10 years ago), Javier Zanetti, Nesta, Daniel Passarella
Mids-Rijkaard, Rui Costa, Kaka, Del Piero
Forwards-Batigol, Diego Maradona

Subs- Zoff, Zambrotta, Costacurta, Chivu, Franco Baresi, Totti, Zola, Van Basten, Zidane, Gullit (ooops I've got 10 already...)

If we try the best spanish team ever, it will take even more time :P lucky we only have RM and barça to search in

EDIT: Hay Mr.Jose Mourinho have just left Chelsea :/ dunno why (God I hope he comes to train Portugal for the European Cup)

Epul
September 20, 2007, 01:09 PM
Jose Mourinho is no longer Chelsea manager...
It is still unclear whether he decided to quit or he got fired but in my opinion he's had enough at chelsea and decided to quit.... what do you guys think?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
Yeah, i was a bit suprised to see him leave all of a sudden. There must be something wrong between him and Abrahamovich. The next manager for Chelsea will have a team that's worth about an annual budget for a small nation. :D

Epul
September 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
Well in my opinion, he was unhappy at chelsea more than anything really.. As a manager, he did not have as much control over his team as he would have liked especially in signing players.. Schevchenko and Ballack was brought in against his wishes and he has been trying to sign Ben Haim since last season and he only got him this season.There is also the fact that abrahamovic was looking for a manager to replace him when he was still manager. so i think he has had enough of all that and decided to call it quits.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 20, 2007, 02:32 PM
Now then, any prediction who'll be replacing Morinho? What about Capello, isnt he out of job now and there was a bit of a rumor that he's on Abrahamovich target to replace Jose. :D

Epul
September 20, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah Capello seems to be the obvious choice but I think abrahamovich is trying to get Jurgen Klinsman to take over at chelsea which is not a bad choice at all. :XD

Mendes
September 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
Mourinho was fired by Abramovic, thus he got 20 Millions of Euros... If you're not familiarized with Euros, the amount he got is the normal amount of money that Euro Millions awards the winner... He could already buy his favorite club (Vitoria de Setubal)

It seems like its not an option for him to take Portuguese squad, but I'd like to see him in an Italy club. Inter or Juventus, for instance. Anyway, Mourinho has joined Capello at the club of the "gohsts for great team's managers". Now a bad result can be the end for a great team's manager.
About Capello managing Chelsea... maybe. I think he was already considering an experience in England, and he can do excellent omelettes with very few eggs. I'd like to see what he can do in the premier league

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 21, 2007, 11:18 AM
Though Morinho had brought several trophies to add to Porto and Chelsea's collection, i wouldn't consider him a great coach yet. And I'm saying that because he still got a few years ahead of him to prove how good he really is. I mean, he did good with Porto and fairly decent with cosmopolitan club that Chelsea is now, but if he has yet to accomplished what Capello, Ferguson or Trappatoni did. He needs to show how good he is at making omelette with only a few good ingredients. :D
Anyways, he got a handsome severance pay from Abrahamovich. I can't imagine what i'm gonna do with that kind of money. :XD

Mendes
September 21, 2007, 12:45 PM
Actually I was wrong... he got 30 Millions instead of 'only' 20.
Anyway, he may lack the experience of an elder manager like those you mentioned, but he aint properly unexperienced. He started his manager career really soon and with the best, since he was Van Gaal and Bobby Robson's assistant manager in Barça.

Mourinho's sure got the talent. His 1st club as the main manager was at SL Benfica, a great club at Portugal, when the team was highly unmotivated because of their bad results at that time. His 1st game was against the champion, Sporting CP, and Benfica won 3-0

Also, I can never forget what he did in FC Porto, since its my club, it was surreal. I think today, Mourinho is as good or even better than many top class and experienced managers. Of course, we can only confirm this if he keep it up in his next challenge, wherever it may be (I bet on Inter Milan :P)

Patoz
September 24, 2007, 08:58 AM
Men, I enjoy every week playing FANTACALCIO (is a game were you create you're own team choosing 3 GK, 8 DF, 8 MD, 6 FW and every week with friends you have fantastic match based on how the real players played the matches of the week).
My Team (taken from SERIE A) is:

GK: Buffon (Muslera, Amelia)
DF: Materazzi, Cordoba, Nesta (Zaccardo, Maldini, Chivu, Zebina, Comotto)
MD: Gattuso, Vieira, Perrotta, Mancini (Cigarini, Vannucchi, Mudingayi, Mutarelli)
FW: Crespo, Ronaldo, Suazo (Recoba, Quagliarella, Inzaghi).

What do you think of my team? :yaha

Epul
September 24, 2007, 01:41 PM
Well, i played the yahoo fantasy football game. :)
I think your team is pretty good Jiraya but I feel that your team might lack a little bit of creativity and flair in centre midfield. Maybe a player like Kaka might add more creativity in midfield. But hey, that's just what i think anyway and I'm no footballing expert :p

Just had to post this, Man utd beat Chelsea 2-0!!!! Simply fantastic!!!! :jbya :jbya and finally Tevez scores a goal. :XD

Mendes
September 24, 2007, 06:35 PM
Nice team Jiraya, very close to what i'd choose with a limited amount of cash. I guess playerslike kaka, pirlo or totti would be too expensive...

I play only the fantasy premier team, which can be found at premier league's official site. My team right now is:

GK: Sorensen(benched coz of injury), Kirkland
Def: R.Ferdinand, Mellberg, Micah Richards
Mid: Gerrard, Fabregas(captain, gets double points per match), Dunn, Kapo
Forwards:v.persie, Keane, Yakubu

Subs:Ben Haim(will be replaced by Carvalho when he comes out of injury), A.Ferdinand, Landzaat

@Epul- haha i guess dark times are coming for chelsea and most likely... Roberto Mancini! I do like Inter Milan since kid, but with this team they have to do more than this. The game against fenerbahce was terrible... I want to believe Mourinho is buying a plane ticket to Milano :D

Epul
September 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
yeah I agree. Dark times are coming for chelsea. At least until they get a proper manager. I really don't think Grant can do the job at chelsea. :p

Patoz
September 25, 2007, 05:26 PM
Mendes, you have a nice team, Fabregas especially is playing very well without Henry :dance ...

hey guy, what do you think of SS Lazio? Do you think that it will pass the first phase? Do you think it can beat the Real Madrid like Fenerbahce beated Inter? (I beg so :xp)

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
Well, i do think Lazio have a chance to go through to the second round. However, i don't know about Lazio beating Madrid. Madrid is doing great so far in the league. Bernd Schuster is doing good, i bet he learned from Capello not to sell anyone who made a lot of money for the team. :XD

Mendes
September 26, 2007, 06:48 AM
So you're a Lazio fan :P Well, its true Royal has a devastating team this year, but I dont think they're having good results. They had a draw in the last game in the spanish league. I saw the game and it was very bad.

Still, RM seems to be a very different team in the Champions League. My FC Porto found itself in the same group as RM in the last years, and we always loose, even when they were doing bad in their internal league. I do believe Royal's going to pass the group stage placing 1st.

As for the 2nd place, I think Bremen is the favorite. They play very well and they are growing every year, but I must say I havent seen Lazio play this season yet. I honestly dont know if they are stronger than last year, since the results in serie A have been very bad in comparison to last season. You must know better than me if Lazio have what it takes to go trough the group stage

Patoz
September 26, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yes, you're right... In this period Lazio is not playin' very well...
BTW, I usually bet somethin' on football, for you (mendes and Ichi G n T) who will win between Atletico Bilbao and Atletico Madrid? Or it will end in a draw? Bilbao plays at home... eheh, who will win?

P.S.: I'm very lucky in betting... in the Euro 2004 I bet 3 € on the Greek winner. It was 1:1000... I won 3 thousand euros and I bought a new Pc :jk

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
For Bilbao against Madrid, i still have to favor Los Galacticos. The reason is pretty much biased, i'm a big fan of Ruud van Nistelrooy. :D I still don't understand why he got transferred from Man Utd. He's like the new Van Basten and we all saw know how good he is in scoring. :D

And i stopped betting on football games since last World Cup. I think i used up all my football betting luck, on a friendly bet in which i picked Italy to win the World Cup. :XD

Mendes
September 26, 2007, 12:54 PM
P.S.: I'm very lucky in betting... in the Euro 2004 I bet 3 € on the Greek winner. It was 1:1000... I won 3 thousand euros and I bought a new Pc :jk

... dont bring those memories back from me... the greeks won twice against us... the 1st and the last game, taking our 1st cup from us :'(((( (and we were playing at home)
Still, that was a lucky bet, they were probably the team I less expected to win...

About the game against Bilbao, I'm with Ichimaru, Bilbao is very weak right now, and Madrid can get amazing performances when they are playing full strength. The flying dutchman is always looking up to score, I believe he's the best striker of his generation.

So I bet on Royal's victory, but tell me, when is that game going to take place? Coz I looked on the recent schedule of the spanish league and I didnt find any game between them for the next weeks... is it from Copa Del Rey?

Epul
September 26, 2007, 01:55 PM
There's definitely no doubt that Real Madrid is doing great at the moment and i agree with mendes, they sure look a different team when it comes to Champion's League. But my money is definitely on Barcelona to win la liga this seson, just looking at the lineup, henry, ronaldinho, messi, eto and deco, they're like the new galacticos... :XD

Mendes
September 26, 2007, 05:28 PM
Oh between Barça and Royal I also think Barça's stronger. I think their team this year is simply legendary. If Ronaldinho is playing worse, then Messi's playing for both of them... he's been amazing every game since Copa America (inclusive).

I was also impressed by Touré, he's doing great and he even made Deco or Iniesta go to the bench, which is impressive, to say the least. He reminds me of Patrick Vieira for his game style, physical and mental ability.

Barça this season is most impressive. I think they are the main favorites for the champions league this year, even tough I have faith in Inter's victory (and who knows, FC Porto... cant blame me for dreaming xD)
[hr]
I've just witnessed a football match massacre from barcelona. The poor victim was Real Zaragoza. Its true Zaragoza has a great team, but they rarely got inside barça's side of the field, such was the impetuosity of barça's attack.

Lets face it, Barça is too strong... Messi is playing too well, just like Iniesta. Deco is improving and Henry is finally showing up. Xavi is as good as ever and Toure gets better every game. They had about 40 clear chances to score qith 70-30 in ball possession. They can get to the luxury of playing their younger stars at the second half, like Dos Santos and Bojan.

The result was 4-1 (yes, zaragoza scored by zapater, in one of their rare attacks), two early goals by messi, marquez and iniesta completed the massacre. I dont think Royal can keep up with this. True they won 5-0 against Vilarreal, but without some influent players, they cant play so well (remember barça is playing like this without ronaldinho, injured)

Patoz
September 27, 2007, 02:31 PM
Oh, no guys, you misunderstood the teams! It was athletico bilbao vs athletico madrid (not Real Madrid :xd)... however I followed your suggestion and I bet 10 €... THANKS! (It won for 2 goals :yaha)...
Eh Eh, I'm a lucky man, eh?

Mendes
September 27, 2007, 04:04 PM
loool we sure did... lucky you. I'd bet on Atletico Madrid as well. This year they made a huge investment on world class players. I have high hopes for them this season (meaning a 3rd, 4th, royal and barça seem destined to get the 1st 2 spots).

I have a question 4 you, Jiraya. You follow Serie A right? Who do you think will win the serie A this year?

I bet 10€ on Inter's win with a friend of mine, against every other team. For what I can see, Inter is doing fine in serie A, but Juventus and Roma are impressing me too much... I wasnt expecting such competition :/

bebekhappy
September 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
I hope Roma will get the scudetto this season, the team's growing stronger...they doing their best to bring some quality players, it's just like it was when Capello coaching Roma. With Totti retirement from Azurri (which i also regret) it's sure can help them focus on scudetto challenge and derby against Lazio ^_-.

But what i fear is when they have to face MU in CL, damn those 7-1 massacre still haunt me.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
September 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, even i still don't get why Roma played that bad. I mean, losing to a goal or two is not unusual, but they conceded seven goals! I was hoping for an awesome no holds barred game, but too bad it was a bloody massacre for Roma. But on the other side, Man Utd faced some pretty tough game after that, they won 3-2 against AC Milan and then they were beaten 3-0 at the second leg. I guess the term you win some, you lose some still applies everywhere. :D
Well, there's gonna be some awesome matches this weekend in both Serie-A, La Liga and EPL. Anyone got any match preview or something to share with us? :D

Epul
September 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
EPL preview taken from yahoo:

Manchester City v Newcastle United

City striker Rolando Bianchi is out, although he has appeared mainly on the bench lately anyway. Emile Mpenza should play as a lone striker. Obafemi Martins returns to the Newcastle side in the absence of Michael Owen, while Claudio Cacapa is expected to miss out.

Chelsea v Fulham

Didier Drogba makes a surprise return from injury, while Avram Grant may bring Steve Sidwell into his midfield to cover for the suspended John Obi Mikel. Frank Lampard is still out. Fulham could line up unchanged from last weekend with no new fitness concerns for Lawrie Sanchez.

Wigan Athletic v Liverpool

Paul Scharner has shaken off a knock and should play, but Denny Landzaat joins Emile Heskey on the sidelines. Injury doubts also remain over Luis Valencia and Kevin Kilbane. Liverpool have no major injuries but Rafa Benitez's selection is anyone's guess with Marseille coming up on Wednesday.

West Ham United v Arsenal

Alan Curbishley could stick with some of the players that featured in midweek Carling Cup action, with Scott Parker, Fredrik Ljungberg and Luis Boa Morte vying for inclusion. Robin van Persie should return for the Gunners, who have Tomas Rosicky out and a doubt over Alexander Hleb.

Sunderland v Blackburn Rovers

Roy Keane's side are without the suspended Dickson Etuhu, while centre-back Nyron Nosworthy is rated 50-50 to play. Six other first-teamers are injured. Blackburn are still without their captain Ryan Nelsen, with Andre Ooijer continuing to deputise at centre-back.

Portsmouth v Reading

Harry Redknapp has an enormous squad, but has slight fitness concerns over Nwankwo Kanu, Benjani Mwaruwari and John Utaka. Lauren is pushing for a return ahead of Glen Johnson at right-back. American Bobby Convey is the latest name on Steve Coppell's missing list.

Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

Centre-back Darren Moore is expected to return to the centre of defence for Billy Davies' side, with Dean Leacock making way. Craig Fagan is still suspended. Ivan Campo is pushing for inclusion after a slight injury, while Daniel Braaten could miss out. There is still no Jlloyd Samuel.

Birmingham City v Manchester United
Mikkel Forssell faces a lengthy spell out with a hernia, while midfielder Borja Oubina is also absent for Steve Bruce. Sir Alex Ferguson should name a more familiar line-up after the midweek Carling Cup fiasco. He must perm two from the trio of Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Louis Saha.

Everton v Middlesbrough

Star man Mikel Arteta is not expected to return from injury, but goalkeeper Tim Howard could be back. Nuno Valente and Tony Hibbert also face fitness battle for Everton, with Yakubu expected to replace Victor Anichebe up front. Boro have Jeremie Aliabdiere and Julio Arca out, but Jonathan Woodgate returns.

Tottenham Hotspur v Aston Villa

No surprises for guessing that Jermain Defoe will not start for Spurs, who will revert to the Keane-Berbatov strike partnership. Aston Villa are missing the injured John Carew, and may play Luke Moore as a lone striker ahead of Stiliyan Petrov, or else call on Marlon Harewood.

Game to watch would probably be Arsenal against West Ham. I get the feeling it's gonna be a cracker.
Bolton against Derby, I think derby gonna lose big again with Anelka scoring a couple of goals.
For man united, I really hope fergie play Tevez- rooney- saha together. Rooney and Saha up top and tevez playing just behind them.

Mendes
September 28, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well, sometimes a team creates thousands attempts on goal, but they dont score any, sometimes a team creates just a few attempts and score the same amount of goals... in M.Utd vs Roma last year the same thing happened. Everything went fine on them. The same thing happened in Monaco-Deportivo a few years ago, with an insane 8-3.

Even with M.Utd far stronger than that time, I dont believe Roma will ever be humiliated like that. In fact, I have high hopes from this encounter. Roma's playing very well, I'm surprised with them. When they lost Chivu to Inter, I thought they would be weaker this year, but they got Juan now, witch is one of the best defenders the way I see it, and even cicinho and Giuly.

The match I expect the most tomorrow is the Roma-Inter. I hope Inter gets the win, for the sake of the 10€ I bet :P but it'll be an awesome match for sure.

Epul's already reviewed the premier league, I've got nothing to add (I also expect a great match out of West Ham-Arsenal).
In Germany, Leverkusen's playing at home with Bayern.
In Portugal, Sporting's visiting Benfica in the classic portuguese derby.
In Spain, Zaragoza vs Sevilla will be a very nice match. Sevilla is as strong as last year and Zaragoza has one of the best teams in La Liga.
In Italy, apart from the game of the week, we have an interesting derby between Torino and Juventus. I believe they both came from the Serie B this season, and remember they shared the same stadium (Delle Alpi) a few years ago(now juve owns it all).

Well, I've got my schedule full for tomorrow :P gotta go buy tons of beer! :beer

Epul
September 28, 2007, 02:19 PM
wow, in portugal Sporting against Benfica. That's gotta be a good game. Derby game are always good :) Make sure you tell us about the game later Mendes.
Inter against Roma, definitely gonna be a good game. Just for the record, my money is on Inter to win the game. My predictions is 2-1 to Inter.

Mendes
September 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, in Portugal the most important teams are Porto, Sporting and Benfica (these last 2 are from Lisbon). I must say I'm not very impressed with both Sporting and Benfica this season. Not only I'm a Porto fan (just with that I'm suspicious... dont take me serious when I speak about our rival clubs pls), but we're in the 1st place with some advance, so this game comes in handy for me. We have everything to increase the distance to our rivals this week.

Here in Portugal, Porto's been owning in the last 10 years, but Benfica's got much more title history and Sporting has simply brilliant schools (Figo, Ronaldo, Viana, Quaresma, M.Veloso, Moutinho and Nani are just some of the talents 'made in sporting'). I believe Sporting is way stronger now, but Benfca is playing home (they are the greatest team in the world in number of associates) and they have the master Rui Costa in great shape by their side, so its pretty much even... which is great, so they can draw >: )

rykarreolacr
September 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!! Inter RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Roma got PWNED!!!!!!! 4-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mendes
September 29, 2007, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!! Inter RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Roma got PWNED!!!!!!! 4-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe I'm as happy as you are!

In summary, the match was great till Giuly got himself expelled, for defending zlatan's shot with the hands, inside the short box. After that the game was one-sided and slower.
Also, Chelsea's screwed up at home. 0-0 with Fulham. United won 1-0 with Ronaldo's goal. Arsenal did another nice match against West Ham, with a 1-0 victory. The goal was scored by van persie.

I recently found some nice youtube football videos in a magazine. Check this out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=91nWpdl_Vxw
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dC8_RC2BfDs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw-RYFbcT4
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvHjfrBS1Q

Patoz
September 29, 2007, 08:16 PM
loool we sure did... lucky you. I'd bet on Atletico Madrid as well. This year they made a huge investment on world class players. I have high hopes for them this season (meaning a 3rd, 4th, royal and barça seem destined to get the 1st 2 spots).

I have a question 4 you, Jiraya. You follow Serie A right? Who do you think will win the serie A this year?

I bet 10€ on Inter's win with a friend of mine, against every other team. For what I can see, Inter is doing fine in serie A, but Juventus and Roma are impressing me too much... I wasnt expecting such competition :/

Mmmmmh, it's a difficult question.... Inter is a great team, and now is playing well; in the past nineteen years the Inter gained only 1 scudetto even though it was a great team... I think Inter can win the Serie A this year, but Roma will try on stealin' it...

P.S.: I beg on Inter because I am a Lazio supporter and I hate Roma....
[hr]
Hey guys... It's Incredible :crying...
Chelsea draws with Fullham, Psv draws with Breda...(I lost 2 bets) what can I say? The world is going to explode? What's goin' on in the football world? Bah, For you, what is the most incredible result of a recent match?

Epul
September 30, 2007, 12:24 AM
Well my most incredible result would be Chelsea drawing against Fulham and Portsmouth agaisnt Reading which ended 7-4!!!! Yes you heard me right 7-4.
Man united scraped another 1-0 victory. 5 wins in a row for man united and 5 clean sheets.
Next up, Man united against roma.............

@mendes- how did the sporting vs. benfica derby go?

Mendes
September 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
draw 0-0... so that porto could win their own derby with boavista (2-0) and increase the gap to both the rivals :P haha with rivals like this it becomes easier to win the league.

Anyway, I was also amazed with portsmouth 7- 4 reading. The most impressive result this week has to be bremen 8 - 1 Arminia (Hugo Almeida scored twice).

Just a note, Henry scored his 1st goals for barça in the league, with an Hat-Trick xDDD. Messi scored the other goal, and barça got another 4-1 in Levante's field. I didnt see this match, but I heard it was the best match off'em this season, so it has to be amazing. Can anyone stop this Barça?

Epul
September 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
I also missed the Barca game..... :scry We all know how good Henry is. It's just a matter of time before he does something like that. I don't think anyone can stop barca at the moment and that is without Ronaldinho playing welll.... just scary really....

bebekhappy
September 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
Just a note, Henry scored his 1st goals for barça in the league, with an Hat-Trick xDDD. Messi scored the other goal, and barça got another 4-1 in Levante's field. I didnt see this match, but I heard it was the best match off'em this season, so it has to be amazing. Can anyone stop this Barça?

Well...it seems Henry's got himself onform again, and that's scary,if he isn't had any injuries this season, i fear that he and barca are unstoppable.

The match I expect the most tomorrow is the Roma-Inter. I hope Inter gets the win, for the sake of the 10€ I bet :P but it'll be an awesome match for sure.

HuHuHuhu....good for you, you won your bet T_T :D, i didn't see when Giuly was sent off and Ibra took the execution (I heard the commentators said it, but i was wondering who's off :notrust), i saw Perotta scored when they 1 goal down in minimarket near my house, when i'm back to my room they were already lost 2-1, poor me i had to see the other 2 goals.

P.S.: I beg on Inter because I am a Lazio supporter and I hate Roma....

HeheHeh... FORZA ROMA :p

Mendes
September 30, 2007, 05:18 PM
HuHuHuhu....good for you, you won your bet T_T :D

Not yet :P My bet implied Inter winning the Serie A, against every other team, so there's still alot to go trough, but its a head start, specially since I consider Roma the only team that can rival Inter this year. Milan has started very badly and Juve needs more options in the bench. If they get trough an injury period, I dont think they can compete as good as Inter or Roma does in the same situation.

It seems that Royal got a nice result, 1-0 in Getafe's field. Getafe isnt doing so well this season, but they were very strong the in the last season. I didnt see the game, so I dunno how they played, but it must have been a free kick or a corner for Sergio Ramos to score. Anyone saw the match?

Patoz
September 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
Ah, I knew it, Milan draws with Catania.... How can this happens, are you asking? Bah, I don't know...
Hey Guys, for you, how will end between:
Stoccarda - Barcellona
Inter - PSV
Lione - Glasgow Rangers
?
I bet 2;1;1. What will be the results?

Mendes
October 01, 2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not familiarized with football bets. What does 1 or 2 mean in this kinds of bets?

Anyway, I predict (not bet) Porto will win against Besiktas, Liverpool must win against Marseille, Valencia will defeat chelsea :P Lazio draws with Royal, Bremen kicks Olympiakos hard(over 3 goals difference), Milan gets Celtic down, Benfica draws with Shakthar, lyon wins against rangers, barça'll most likely massacre stuttgart, I'll risk a Roma's win on Old Trafford, while sporting looses in Kiev, Inter wins with PSV, Fenerbahce does the same to CSKA, then Arsenal and Sevilla wins both their matches

The crystal ball also tells me Figo will score twice against PSV :P

Epul
October 02, 2007, 07:05 AM
Well, *looks into his crystal ball* I see Valencia to beat Chelsea (Chelsea is in disarray at the moment) and of course Man United to beat Roma :XD (Naturally cause I'm a man united fan).

Patoz
October 02, 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm not familiarized with football bets. What does 1 or 2 mean in this kinds of bets?

In a match "team A vs team B" there are three possible results:
1 (win the first team, in this case, team A)
2 (win the second team, in this case, team B)
X (a draw)
Have you understood? :D

BTW, I beg that Real Madrid defeats Lazio... sigh, even if I am a Lazio supporter, If Real wins I also win 127€...

P.S.: You have to see the fantastic goal that Kolarov (Def. of Lazio) scored at the last match vs Reggina!
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=69RLdmOGXgM&NR=1

Mendes
October 02, 2007, 04:10 PM
In a match "team A vs team B" there are three possible results:
1 (win the first team, in this case, team A)
2 (win the second team, in this case, team B)
X (a draw)
Have you understood? :D

yeah I figured it would be something like that. Anyway, this 1st day of CL was bad for my bets...
even Lyon lost 3-0 at home xD (I'm not sad at all :P)

Nice goal by Kovarov tough I dont even know the guy... Speaking of great goals by our favorite clubs: http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdv2k0bz_Y

And why are you gonna win 127€ if Royal wins? How much did you bet?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 02, 2007, 08:20 PM
Hey, United won against Roma.... 1-0. What's wrong with them winning each game with a 1-0 result? I know it's Rooney's goal (finally) but they could've scored more... :D
And Roma wasnt all that bad either, i was scared when Esposito got that chance in the box during the last minutes... :D

rykarreolacr
October 02, 2007, 10:45 PM
Inter played well against a good PSV. 2-0. Inter has been improving over the last couple of weeks.

Epul
October 03, 2007, 08:22 AM
yeah man united won!!!! :jbya Man united is starting to look like a 1-0 specialist :XD Oh yeah nice to see Inter won too. But I think my game of the day was Barca against stuggart. Messi scored again! He's on fire!!

Mendes
October 03, 2007, 03:49 PM
yeah, messi is playing brilliantly. Lazio just scored a great goal by Pandev against Royal. Its 1-1 at the break. Your 127€ are pending, Jiraya:P (I still cant believe you bet against your team... I cant do it even if I try)
[hr]
Man I suck at bets in CL... I wont bet anymore on the group stage... its too unpredictable. Still, Porto won xDDDD last minute quaresma did it xD watta win!

Benfica lost at home against Steua... man they're sad. In bremen Hugo Almeida is doing great, after scoring twice in the last league's match, he scored against olympiakos... maybe Scolari will finally open his eyes and stop playing with Nuno Gomes... he simply sucks, I'm sick of Gomes...

Well, Jiraya, you just lost that huge bet ;P that's what you get for betting in CL... anything can happen here :P

Next week we have an Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona... who do you guys think will win?
I believe it'll be a game with over 5 goals, since we're talkin about 2 teams with world class attacking players everywhere and offensive-only mentality. A game I wont miss :P

bebekhappy
October 03, 2007, 06:56 PM
Holly...Lazio can hold Madrid on 2-2 draw, and Roma couldn't even get a goal in Trafford T_T.

That's one bloody game...at least real blood was shed after Vucinic's came in...no offense for Mu and CR7 fans, but Vucinic you did it good there :smile-big. Looks like they still have that 7-1 trauma eh...many attempts yet they can't scrap even a goal, Roma's defense was OK but still risky for they still sometimes loose focus.
Spaletti made a right decision by choosing Curci instead of Doni, he has a good anticipation reminds me of previous Roma's keeper Francesco Antonioli, give him more chance and he's ready to number 1.
I agree with Ichimaru, Esposito chance was scary...but i nearly jump when De Rossi released a superb shot from distance, that's what i was hoping to be a goal.

Thank God Fergie choose Saha and not Tevez for starter, otherwise there will be another massacre.

Next week we have an Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona... who do you guys think will win?
I believe it'll be a game with over 5 goals, since we're talkin about 2 teams with world class attacking players everywhere and offensive-only mentality. A game I wont miss :P

Well...with Messi and Henry are on fire, I agree with you. At least 2-0 for Barca, but yeah Atletico's good too so it can be a 3-2 or 3-3 draw for Barca.

rykarreolacr
October 03, 2007, 07:59 PM
I believe that MU got lucky. They didn't face Roma in her best shape. They came from 2 straight draws against Fiorentina and Juventus and a big loss on Saturday against my beloved Inter (4-1).

Epul
October 04, 2007, 08:49 AM
Well, sometimes luck is just what you need in football :p Which makes the return fixture tastier.. :p
Atletico madrid against Barca, I'm also expecting a lot of goals in this one....

Patoz
October 04, 2007, 09:38 AM
Ah, what an unlucky bet I did...
Celtic - Milan (I bet 2 and ended 1) :crying
Lazio - Real (I bet 2 and ended X) :crying
Liverpool - Marseille (I bet 1 and ended 2) :crying
Wender Bremen - Olimpiacos Pireus (I bet 1 and ended 2) :crying
Sigh.... but, afterall, I'm happy for the great match of the Lazio vs Real Madrid! :yaha

Epul
October 06, 2007, 08:51 AM
Just came back from watching Man utd against wigan. Man utd beat Wigan 4-0!!!! Rooney and Tevez scored one and Ronaldo scored two goals. Good to see united finally banging in the goals and united are on a six game clean sheet streak. I'm so happy right now. :jbya I would be happier if Sunderland could beat or draw arsenal tomorrow but that's a big ask. :p

Mendes
October 06, 2007, 01:31 PM
United had an amazing second half. They played in a very offensive 4-2-4, with Anderson and Scholes on the midfield. You guys got to see Tevez's goal... impressive :P

Epul
October 06, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, and anderson in my opinion had a very good game. He played some really good passes during the game. Hopefully, Fergie would start with him more after this ^^.

Mendes
October 06, 2007, 05:03 PM
I was used to anderson's superb passes since he played in Porto last 2 years, but I was impressed by the ball recoveries he did constantly during the game. He's starting to conquer his spot in MU. I honestly thought both Nani and Anderson were going to sit in the bench for the whole season, substituting giggs and scholes as time went by. Its good to see that they are already consistent options by Sir Alex

Patoz
October 06, 2007, 05:49 PM
That's true, I think that Andersen is a great player, but Giggs (in my opinion) is even greater...

Mendes
October 07, 2007, 02:33 PM
For Barça, another day means another massacre... today's victim was Atletico Madrid-3.0 (Deco, Messi, Xavi)
Barça made of Atletico an ordinary team and owned the whole match.
Real Madrid had a tough time against Recreativo Huelva, scoring 2 goals at the last 15 minutes, by the Flying dutchman and Higuaín.

Arsenal 3 - Sunderland 2 was also a nice match. Van Persie did a great match and even scored twice. Liverpool tied with tottenham (2-2) with a goal by El Nino at the last minute. Voronin scored for L'pool and Keane scored twice for T'ham

Bayern's also on a roll with a 3-0 victory over Nurnberg. Ze roberto scored once and Toni twice
In Serie A, fiorentina drawed at home against juve. Iaquinta and Mutu are on the score. Roma and Totti continues impressive with a 3.0 victory (lots of 3.0 victories this week). Mancini scored once and El Capitano scored twice.
In Inter - Napoli, the score was set by Julio Cruz (2) and Sosa (1)

Seiken
October 07, 2007, 03:03 PM
We are on the top of the league!:D

Damn its good be on an Arsenalfan these days.

Mendes
October 09, 2007, 06:02 AM
yeah Arsenal is doing great. They are comming back to what they used to be in their golden time. Fabregas is doing great in Vieira's place, and Adebayor in Henry's place. The young defensive line is very good and van Persie is (at least to me) much better than Robert Pires was. When Rosicky gets back to his finest shape, Arsenal will be something to fear, even for MU. Their only weakness is the lack of valid solutions, in the eventuality of injuries affecting the same section, specially in the attack.

Well, this week's break in the european leagues is replaced by the qualifying for the Euro 2008, with many top nations in difficult positions.

In Group A, Portugal is 3rd and needs desperately the win over Cazaquistan and Azerbaijan.
In Group B, Both France and Italy are behind Scotland, and they need to get the victory over Georgia and Faroe Islands, respectively.
In Group E, England is still behind Croatia. Last game they got to the 2nd place with the victory over Russia, but they cant loose points at home vs Estonia, else they may loose the 2nd place again
In group F, Spain has a very difficult match, in Denmark's stadium, although Sweeden, which shares the 1st spot with Spain, has a tough match against N. Ireland.
In the last group, G, Romenia and Holland share the 1st spot. This week they will face each other in Romenia. Bulgaria may win from this, since they are only 2 points behind.

Its curious, of all the favorite teams to win the European title, only Germany is alone on top of the qualifying group (and its one of the strongest group as well)
Well, good luck for your countries games, except if you are from Cazaquistan and Azerbaijan, Montenegro, Poland and Finland :P

Patoz
October 09, 2007, 07:00 AM
Well, good luck for your countries games, except if you are from Cazaquistan and Azerbaijan, Montenegro, Poland and Finland :P
Why? :err

BTW, for you, what is the stongest football league? (for me is Seria A :thumbs or the Premiere League)
Second question: In the match Celtic Glasgow - Milan, Dida, the GK, simulated? :huh

Lohnt
October 09, 2007, 09:02 AM
Bleh, my team is in a semi-difficult group

Group C
1. Villarreal CF (ESP)
2. AEK Athens FC (GRE)
3. ACF Fiorentina (ITA)
4. FK Mladá Boleslav (CZE)
5. IF Elfsborg (SWE)

Sadly, Elfsborg has immitation grass, much like Salzburg.. which they no doubt will use to their advantage by wetting it like Salzburg did. Honestly, Uefa really NEEDS to make it legal that all grass should be real and not prosthetic. Its an unfair advantage that doesnt even compare to paying off refs and stuff, its like having an obstacle course..

Then again I guess other stadiums have advantages as well. Quito in Ecuador is at such a high elevation, even Brazil has trouble defeating them because the elevation makes it harder to breath (Skypiea lolz)

Anyway.. I think we'll advance, I'm a little worried about Aris our fellow Greek club that is in Bayern's group =/ They finally got a good team this season as well.
[hr]
strongest league is Serie A (Italy) or Primera Division (Spain)

I realize England's league is recently stronger than both, but Spain's league is consistently in both Cup and League final 's (at least 2 teams per =/) and Italy's Milan is just unstoppable in the last couple of years.

I wouldn't underestimate Greek clubs this season during your betting btw Jiraya, this is the most competitive season in Greek soccer, we have 4 legendary coaches (Ferer, Bajevic, Peseira and Donis), Olympiacos bought out really good players from Primiera Division, Premier league AND Ligue 1 (rich assholes). Also most of these teams have nothing to lose, and every reason to play harder since Euro 2008 is coming up, and many of our players are getting older, thus the younger players want to take their spots, to defend our crown =p.

Mendes
October 09, 2007, 02:53 PM
Why? :err

BTW, for you, what is the stongest football league? (for me is Seria A :thumb or the Premiere League)
Second question: In the match Celtic Glasgow - Milan, Dida, the GK, simulated? :huh

Why? Because those nations are playing against Portugal in the group... and we are in a tough situation (3rd place x( ). I guess I cant wish them luck :P

The strongest league... that's a difficult question. I'd say the Premier League is the best one to watch, the most spectacular. However, the league with more prestige and 'stars' is definitely La Liga. There's also the Italian League which is, atm, the most competitive, specially now that Juve is back and there are no teams starting with negative points.

I believe the spanish league is, overall, the one with the strongest teams. The way I see it, Barça and Madrid are probably, the best teams in the world, siding with MU only. Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, Valencia are also extremely strong.

I didnt see the game between Celtic and Milan.. so I cant answer your question. I personally dont enjoy Milan's playing style, even tough it has revealed itself perfect in the champions league. I prefer Roma and specially Inter's playing styles.

Haha, speaking of the Italian League, today I started playing the oldschool CM 01-02 again :P It was very nostalgic. Do you guys remember Lazio's team in 2001? Peruzzi, Zauri, Pancaro, Nesta, Stam, Mendieta, Veron, Fiore, Kovacevic, Crespo... xD omg!

@refii

I'm not familiarized with UEFA Cup's rules in the group stage. How many teams per group can pass to the next round? If its 3, then AEK has everything to do it, but I believe they will place after Fiorentina and even Villareal (although Vilareal is weaker this year).

Ha, now you speak of Bayern... Belenenses, one of our portuguese teams in the UEFA cup was eliminated by them in the previous stage. Now, Braga, the only portuguese team that went to the group stage, is in the same group as Munich... we've been very unlucky in the drawings :/ still, Braga is the strongest team in portugal after the 3 best teams. I have faith that they will go to the next round (if 3 teams go through) after Bayern and Bolton. I know nothing about Aris, but theorically they seem the weakest in that group

Imperium
October 09, 2007, 03:05 PM
We are on the top of the league!:D

Damn its good be on an Arsenalfan these days.

keep the faith brother :thumbs, well arsenal have been nothing short of spectacular, and even with henry we gone they showed those critics ;)

but hopefully it will stay this way...

Lohnt
October 10, 2007, 08:11 AM
I'm not familiarized with UEFA Cup's rules in the group stage. How many teams per group can pass to the next round? If its 3, then AEK has everything to do it, but I believe they will place after Fiorentina and even Villareal (although Vilareal is weaker this year).

Yea it's the top three. but to be honest I think we'll be second at the very least. Both Fiorentina and Villa are playing in Greece (no home games, one game per) and our arena is very strong, so I don't think Fiorentina can beat us on home terf. Plus, our transfers this season kick ass, I wouldn't be surprised if big name teams start buying our players next season. Juve is already eyeing Papastathopoulos before he gets older and gets more expensive.

Mendes
October 10, 2007, 02:16 PM
That may be true... I dont know much about the greek teams. I know AEK coz the portuguese coach Fernando Santos coached them 2 or 3 times. Olympiakos still has Rivaldo?
About your group, if 3 teams go trough, then AEK should move up, specially because Vilareal is far weaker this season. I'd say fiorentina is the favorite. They have a very nice team and they are, in my view, one of the favorites to win the UEFA cup, along with Bayern, Atletico Madrid and Tottenham

Patoz
October 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
Haha, speaking of the Italian League, today I started playing the oldschool CM 01-02 again :P It was very nostalgic. Do you guys remember Lazio's team in 2001? Peruzzi, Zauri, Pancaro, Nesta, Stam, Mendieta, Veron, Fiore, Kovacevic, Crespo... xD omg!

:crying sigh... the Lazio was a great team... That team could kicks Manchester and Barcellona's asses... :crying

Mendes
October 10, 2007, 08:18 PM
:crying sigh... the Lazio was a great team... That team could kicks Manchester and Barcellona's asses... :crying

lol so true! It was a shame what happened to Lazio. The same happened with Leeds united and Fiorentina, although Lazio in 2000 was extreme. The proof is they got the Serie A that year (or 1999, dont remember) against opponents like Juve (with Zidane, Thuram, Vieri, Iuliano, Zambrotta, Montero, Pessoto, Del Piero and Nedved) and Milan and Inter always had amazing teams. If I remember correctly, Lazio and Roma dominated for 2 or 3 years at that time

Lohnt
October 11, 2007, 04:21 AM
About your group, if 3 teams go trough, then AEK should move up, specially because Vilareal is far weaker this season. I'd say fiorentina is the favorite. They have a very nice team and they are, in my view, one of the favorites to win the UEFA cup, along with Bayern, Atletico Madrid and Tottenham

Actually Aek has Rivaldo now..

The basic squad is more or less:
Macho (the National goalkeeper of Austria) 0 goals allowed in the regular season
Arruabarrena ( Villareal's captain from last season)
Dellas (Greek national)
Geraldo Alves (his brother used to play for us, and is portugese national now)
Zikos (top player from Monaco's 2004 team)
Nsaliwa Tamandani (You'll be hearing his name more in the future)
Tozser (hungarian national)
Julio Cezar Da Silva (scored the foul against Milan that won us that game last Champs League)
Rivaldo (self explanatory)
Liberopoulos (Greek national)
Blanco (Argentinean B division top scorer)

Coach: Ferer (of Barca fame)

My favorites for the cup would have to be Benfica, Sevilla if they drop from Champs, and Bayern and Leverkusen from the current cup, I honestly don't think too highly of Atletico in the recent seasons, they just don't really stand out for me, there are better teams..

Mendes
October 11, 2007, 04:46 AM
: O I didnt knew AEK had invested this much :P I know Dellas, he played in Roma. Nice defender. Arrubarrena's a great player as well. With Rivaldo and Liberopoulos in the attack, seems like a very nice team to me (and I dont know half of the players).

Atletico Madrid is pretty strong this year. They were massacred by barça, but that's no shame at all. Check out their attack: Simao(former Benfica's best player), Reyes, Maxi Rodriguez, Luis garcia, Kun Aguero, Forlan... this many world class attackers makes them favorite in the UEFA cup IMO. Tottenham is the eternal favorite for the UEFa Cup as well :P

Anyway, if Benfica frops the champions, I really doubt they are favorites in the UEFa. They're really weak this season and they are in a very bad position in their CL group. Probably they will get the last place there. Out of the portuguese teams in CL, Sporting is the team that, most likely will fall to the UEFA cup, since they're stuck with Roma and MU in the same group. If they go to the UEFA then they'll be favorites

EDIT:nice sig Jiraya :P

Lohnt
October 11, 2007, 07:34 AM
As for champs league, my bet is for Barca, there are many other teams I could bet for (Milan, MU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Real) but they have a really awesome team, that turns me all fanboy =p (Henry, Yaya Toure, Deco, Ronaldinho, Messi).. they just have SOO many answers in the middle and in the offense.. their defense is pretty good too as far as I can tell. If there was such a thing as an offensive dream team, it would have to be the squad they used against Lyon (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/fixturesresults/round=15105/match=301160/report=tl.html) for me..

But my black horse is going to be Shaktar.. I'm really looking foward to their match with Milan, they really have a good team this season as well.

Mendes
October 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
I totally agree. Its amazing that they can build a perfect offensive team and they can even let Iniesta taste he bench... I personally would put Iniesta in Deco's place, but that's just me :P
My 'black horse' would be Fenerbahce. Alex is in great shape and they improved their squad a lot this year. Their game against Inter was amazing, and with players like edu dracena, roberto carlos, appiah, kezman, alex and deivid I believe they have everything to reach the final 16
[hr]

haha now i get what you meant :P I just saw in youtube (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h213GJo76sQ)! Haha what a poor act! He was going straight after the intruder when he decided to fall :P I wonder why he did it... he was loosing the match. The only thing he won was a suspension for the next 2 CL's games

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 14, 2007, 05:51 AM
Anyone catch the World Cup Qualifying games last night? There's gonna be several games too, tonight.

Mendes
October 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
Argentina won 2-0 with Chile, 2 goals from Riquelme. Peru and Paraguay 0-0, Venezuela won 1-0 in Equador, Uruguay gave 5-0 against bolivia

I didnt see any match, but maybe today ill see Brazil playing away against Colombia

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 14, 2007, 06:33 AM
Oh, here's the complete result for Euro 2008 Qualifying match last night:
'
Grup A
Azerbaijan 0 (KM Aslan Karimov 28)
Portugal 2 (Bruno Alves 12, Hugo Almeida 45)

Armenia 0
Serbia 0

Poland 3 (Euzebiusz Smolarek 55, 63, 65)
Kazakhstan 1 (Dmitriy Biakov 19)

Belgia 0
Finlandia 0

Group B
Faroe Island 0
France 6 ( Nicolas Anelka 7, Thierry Henry 8, Karim Benzema 49, 79, Jerome Rothen 64, Hatem Ben Arfa 90+3)

Scotland 3 (Kenny Miller 4, Lee McCulloch 10, James McFadden 68)
Ukraine 1 (Andriy Shevchenko 24)

Italy 2 (Andrea Pirlo 43, Fabio Grosso 83)
Georgia 0

Group C
Hungary 2 (Robert Feczesin 34, Daniel Tozser 77)
Malta 0

Moldova 1 (Viorel Frunza 17)
Turkey 1 (Umit Karan 62)

Greece 3 (Angelos Charisteas 10, Fanis Gekas 57, Nikos Lyberopoulos 72)
Bosnia 2 (Mirko Hrgovic 54; KM 55, Vedad Ibisevic 90+1)

Group D
Slovakia 7 (Marek Hamsik 25, Stanislav Sestak 32, 57, Marek Sapara 37, Martin Skrtel 51, Filip Holosko 54, Jan Durica 76 pen)
San Marino 0

Cyprus 3 (Ioannis Okkas 59, 68, Constantinos Charalambides 79)
Wales 1 (James Collins 21)

Ireland 0
Jerman 0

Group E
England 3 (Shaun Wright-Phillips 11, Wayne Rooney 32, Taavi Rahn own goal 33)
Estonia 0

Croatia 1 (Eduardo da Silva 52)
Israel 0

Group F
Islandia 2 (Eidur Gudjohnsen 3, 52)
Latvia 4 (Oskars Klava 26, Jurijs Laizans 30, Maris Verpakovskis 36, 46)

Liechtenstein 0
Sweden 3 (Fredrik Ljungberg 19, Christian Wilhelmsson 29, Anders Svensson 56)

Denmark 1 (Jon Dahl Tomasson 88)
Spain 3 (Raul Tamudo 14, Sergio Ramos 40, Albert Riera 89)

Group G
Belarus 0
Luxembourg 1 (Alphonse Leweck 90+5)

Rumania 1 (Dorin Goian 72)
Holland 0

Slovenia 0
Albania 0

Mendes
October 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
yeah Finlandia drew, we're 2nd xD

Well, a few days ago Fifa announced the 30 nominees for the 2007 World's Best Player:

Buffon (Italy)
Cannavaro (Italy)
Cech (C. Republic)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
Deco (Portugal)
Drogba (Ivory Coast)
Essien (Ghana)
Eto´o (Camaroon)
Gattuso (Italy)
Gerrard (England)
Henry (France)
Juninho (Brasil)
Kaká (Brasil)
Klose (Germany)
Lahm (Germany)
Lampard (England)
Marquez (México)
Messi (Argentina)
Nesta (Italy)
Pirlo (Italy)
Ribéry (France)
Riquelme (Argentina)
Ronaldinho (Brasil)
Rooney (England)
Terry (England)
Tevez (Argentina)
Thuram (France)
Torres (Spain)
Van Nistelrooy (Holland)
Vieira (France)

I personally find it unbelievable that Totti and Zlatan are out of the nominees. Thuram is a great player, but he was in the bench for the whole year and Marquez isnt better than Lucio, Carvalho and Ferdinand.

My choice for world's best player in 2007 would be van Nistelrooy, Kaka in 2nd and Gerrard in 3rd

Who would you guys choose?

Patoz
October 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
For me, 1st Buffon, 2nd Ronaldinho, 3rd Messi. :yaha

Lohnt
October 17, 2007, 08:41 AM
I don't know, none of those nominees stand out from each other quite like othrers have in the past.

I guess I would give Messi, Kaka and Van Nistelrooy my votes though

Mendes
October 17, 2007, 02:34 PM
heh portugal won! xD its almost a shame we only won 2-1 against cazaquistan (no offense to any cazaquistan guy) coz we are better than this, but we're more confortable in this group. I started to fear with the thought of not participating in the next Euro Cup when we drawed 2 consecutive games at home...
I'd appreciate a resume of the euro qualifying games results (2 drunk to see it right now... go to sleep :|)

Imperium
October 17, 2007, 02:46 PM
England lost though:oh .....

won 2-1 against cazaquistan

that always happens to me -_-; its actually spelt kazakhstan (i only learnt the correct spelling after borat entered my life :XD)

Mendes
October 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
England lost though:oh .....

that always happens to me -_-; its actually spelt kazakhstan (i only learnt the correct spelling after borat entered my life :XD)

i'm sorry for englang, you are in a pretty hard position now, right?

thanks... so its kazakhstan, huh? i never know, even tough i see borat... cant understand what's he spelling either when he speaks of his 'home nation' :P

Lohnt
October 18, 2007, 09:32 AM
I really hate our striker Gekas.. I don't care how good he is in the Budesliga, he's garbage as a national. He misses the easiest goals ever.

Brazil - Ecuador 5-0.. and what a game.

Mendes
October 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
I really hate our striker Gekas.. I don't care how good he is in the Budesliga, he's garbage as a national. He misses the easiest goals ever.

I know what you mean :P We also have a striker like that: Nuno Gomes. You may know him from benfica and he even played in a strong fiorentina some years ago, but right now he's absolutely trash. He not only misses the easiest goals, but he also gets in the way of our other players. He cant put pressure on the defenders, cant play backwards to support the midfielders, cant win an aerial battle with No one...

Last saturday's game, Nuno Gomes was supposed to play center forward, but he got injured in the warm up. The bar I was watching the game on celebrated that injury as if we already got the victory :P (I know, we're evil...)

Portugal's problem have always been the center forward player. Right now, our only option is Hugo Almeida, from werder bremen. Many times we're forced to use Cristiano Ronaldo at that position

Lohnt
October 18, 2007, 03:47 PM
As I understand it, Portugal's problem was always one of ego, not of talent. With Figo leaving, you're going to have to build a younger team around Cristiano in my opinion. Even if he isn't one of my favorite players, he has considerable talent, at least in terms of MU (unless he shares the same talent as Gekas, so good in Germany, he ends up top scorer, but complete trash in Greece and as a national)

I dunno, I guess I miss the talent some of our retired players had that our team now lacks. I'm not saying our team isn't strong, even if it isn't the strongest, it can hold its own against most opponents, but it lacks the finesse of Tsiartas, the leadership of Zagorakis, and the incredible striking prowess of Nikolaidis.

There's no point in holding on the to the past though, I guess I have to look ahead, and hope King Otto makes some better judgements in the future, and doesn't only favor Greek players that play in Budesliga.

Mendes
October 20, 2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with you, refi. Portugal clearly needs more experience. I think Ricardo Carvalho, from Chelsea is very important in that matter. The team seems more safe and confident with him. A true model for the other young defenders. Still, Figo and Rui Costa are missed. We lack experienced players in those sections, although the talent is there, no doubt about it.

This Saturday, almost every team involved in the champions league played, and it was clear to me that a lot of players were spared for the CL. Both Real Madrid and Barça lost their games (2-1 with Espanhol and 3-1 with Vilarreal, respectively) and I'd risk to say that those spares cost them both points this gameweek. In England, both chelsea, arsenal and man utd won their games for safe results (the most expressive was Aston Villa 1- 4 Man Utd).

As a fan of Inter Milan, I'd like to congratulate Adriano for his return on the goal scoring! Its been a long time, if I'm correct :P One of the greatest center forwards IMO, and with confidence by his side, he can hope for a consistent choice in Mancini's 11. Roma draw 4-4 with Napoli. I'm sure it was a great match, but Roma's home draw catapults Inter to a 5 point provisory lead over the 2nd spot. Every other Serie A team plays Sunday.

Epul
October 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
I so happy right now. Man Utd beat Aston Villa 4-1. Finally, united are getting back to what they were last season. Good to see Rooney and Tevez partnership starting to gel.
Man City won too... they have really surprised me this season. Ironically, England is doing bad at the moment while their former manager Eriksson is having a good time at Man City :p

Lohnt
October 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
That Liverpool bullshit against Everton reminded me too much of games against Olympiacos.

Ah the wonder of the 12th player, gotta love refs.

Imperium
October 21, 2007, 12:48 PM
Arsenal won against bolton :woo

Mendes
October 21, 2007, 02:13 PM
According to the rumors Drogba seems to be leaving Chelsea, and he explicitly said he wanted to leave as soon as possible. Its highly possible that another great team's attack is going to get strengthened this January, when the transfer season reopens. I'd love to see Drogba in man utd, but that's just a dream... I bet Drogba will be transfered to Real Madrid or Milan (who knows, with Kaka involved in the deal). The only thing that could keep Drogba with Chelsea till the end of the season would be the fact that he'd be unable to play in champions league for another team this year

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 22, 2007, 11:18 AM
I read a news that said that Drogba is interested in AC Milan, but i'd rather Milan spend their money one defensive players (i mean like 8 or 10 good and young defensive players). :D
And a new goalkeeper. :D

Lohnt
October 22, 2007, 03:39 PM
Sounds like they know what they're doing to be honest. Big teams like them can't just fortify the offense, they have to take care of their defense as well, so they won't lose random matches in their own championships.

Mendes
October 23, 2007, 02:11 AM
I actually think Milan's problem right now aint in defense, but in a strong offensive reference. With shevchenko gone and ronaldo injured, they only have Inzaghi, which isnt enough, and Gilardino, and I'm not impressed with this guy at all...

A player like drogba fits in Milan perfectly in my view. About Real Madrid, I dont think they ever cared about unbalancing the team with only renowned forwards. I wouldnt like to see drogba there, but that's where I believe he will be when the transfer season reopens.

Imperium
October 24, 2007, 08:47 AM
7 - 0 :confetti

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! that showed all the critics who were saying arsenal will go downhill now that henry left :woo

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, even i have to admit that Arsenal was invincible on that game. Walcott, Fabregas, Hleb and Adebayor combined real good with their quick passing game. And that Walcott can sure run with his legs. :D
Oh, United won 2-4 against Kiev. Rooney and Tevez might not be pretty, but they're deadly. :D

Mendes
October 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
And we have to remember Arsenal has van Persie injured. Truly impressive this Arsenal team. Out of the english teams, only liverpool's in a mess, with a new loss, this time against besiktas for 2-1. Porto is in great place to take the lead in the next game, playing at home with Marseille. In the away game it was obvious Porto was the best team. We had almost twice the amount of shots and 2 of them hit the post...

Rosenborg also surprised, winning 2-0 with valencia. This group is getting tough!
Royal won 4-2 with Olympiakos in a hard fought match, and Bremen's win over Lazio increases the fight for the 2nd spot.

This week, both Figo and Rui Costa played their 100th game in the UEFA competitions, with Figo's games only in the champions league.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 25, 2007, 11:10 AM
Liverpool needs to win the rest of the qualifying matches in order to (probably) go to the next round.

In other news, Milan did awesome with a 4-1 win. All of their goals comes or started from corner kicks and Gilardino scored two! :dance

Epul
October 25, 2007, 11:31 AM
Well, in my opinion, without Fernando Torress in the side, Liverpool doesn't look dangerous at all.... Kuyt just doesn't score enough....
Same can be said about Man utd though. I can't imagine what would happen if Rooney or Tevez get injured. So I hope they stay injury free and united must find another striker when the transfer window starts in January. United still has Saha but he gets injured too many times...

Seiken
October 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
Being norwegian myself, it's nice seeing our teams winning out in Europe. And about bloody time too! :D
This was the first time Rosenborg has won at home in Champions League for 6 years.

It still amazes me, how can a team that most likely won't to qualify to the UEFA-cup (At 6th place at the moment, ) beat Valencia in CL? The wonders of football...

Mendes
October 25, 2007, 01:20 PM
Liverpool needs to win the rest of the qualifying matches in order to (probably) go to the next round.

In other news, Milan did awesome with a 4-1 win. All of their goals comes or started from corner kicks and Gilardino scored two! :dance

Yeah, the most unlikely has happened in this group. Porto is fighting with Marseille for the 1st spot and Liverpool will have to sweat alot to get to the 2nd place. I find this perfect for Porto, that has only need to win our home games against the 'weaker' teams and let liverpool win against Marseille for their and our own good :P (1st spot, here we go)

You enhanced Gilardino, but I'd enhance Seedorf the most in that game. Both Gilardino's goals were greatly assisted by him and Seedorf scored 2 goals of his own. Amazing performance (please open your eyes, mr van Basten!)

Well, in my opinion, without Fernando Torress in the side, Liverpool doesn't look dangerous at all.... Kuyt just doesn't score enough....
Same can be said about Man utd though. I can't imagine what would happen if Rooney or Tevez get injured. So I hope they stay injury free and united must find another striker when the transfer window starts in January. United still has Saha but he gets injured too many times...

I agree, that's why I'd love to see Drogba playin in MU... that'd be unbelievable! Still, I'd like united to reinforce their side backs. Evra is playing fine, but he's the only one they have... O'shea and Wes Brown both play better in the center and even there I prefer Silvestre over them... Daniel Alves in MU would be nice, but Sevilla is making his transfer hard...

Being norwegian myself, it's nice seeing our teams winning out in Europe. And about bloody time too! :D
This was the first time Rosenborg has won at home in Champions League for 6 years.

It still amazes me, how can a team that most likely won't to qualify to the UEFA-cup (At 6th place at the moment, ) beat Valencia in CL? The wonders of football...

Heh congrats for Rosenborg, that's an amazing result! Still it will be very hard for them to reach even the UEFA. Its probably the stronger group and Rosenborg has still 2 away games to play. Valencia will certainly recover from this result and I still believe they will make it to the next round.

As the upcoming football weekend, we'll have a Schalke x Bremen in germany. In the premiership, Chelsea will play against a very strong Man. City in stamford, Arsenal is visiting Liverpool's anfield on Sunday :drool
In spain, Sevilla plays at home with Valencia, Royal plays with Depor and in Serie A, Milan-Roma is the main match. Inter visits Palermo and Juve visits Napoli. I can predict many title candidates are going to loose points, since all of them have very tough opponents.

As for today, in UEFA cup, I'd like to enhance 3 very nice games: Tottenham is playing with Getafe, Locomotiv is playing with Atletico Madrid and Vilarreal with Fiorentina.

Lohnt
October 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
I watched a lot of good games this week, none of the final scores reflected the match itself though. That's what makes soccer great I guess, you can have possession of the ball all game and still lose the game from one or two seconds worth of game.

Epul
October 27, 2007, 11:27 AM
Man United beat Middlesbrough 4-1!! :jbya Rooney, Nani with a goal and Tevez scored two goals. Rooney and Tevez partnership was awesome!!!
But the real shocking result is the Chelsea vs. Man City game. Chelsea beat Man City 6-0!!!! Shocking result..... With Man City recent good form before this game, I definitely did not see this one coming..... another wonders of football....

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah, that game was awesome, Epul!! I was jumping up and down (figuratively), everytime United score! :D
Yeah, looks like it's good players & unknown manager prevailed over average players & good manager. Man City will be shopping in January. :D

Mendes
October 29, 2007, 06:53 AM
Yeah who would've believed it, chelsea winning 6-0 against the sensational man city... I guess a great team like theirs is unaffected by internal problems. I'm very surprised many players show such dedication even after manifesting their wish to leave the club, specially Drogba who made that wish of his public.

As for the other games, Arsenal draw in Anfield in an amazing match. Gerrard is definitely back to his best shape, after that injury and overplaying for L'pool and England reduced his shape level.
In Spain, Barça won 'only' 2-0 with a very motivated Almería. Sevilla gave Valencia a justified 3-0. For real, Valencia is going from bad to worse... something's gotta change. Although Sevilla's former coach, Juande Ramos, went to Tottenham, Manolo Jiménez, the assistant manager, had no problems keeping the team's strength the same.
Real Madrid won 3-1 with Depor, but they only got the lead at the final 10 minutes.

In Italy, Milan's doing really bad. I saw them loose against Roma in San Siro, 1-0. Its not like Milan played bad, but they didnt play enough for a team who's at 13th spot, trying to win the league. I think its the end for Milan's title aspirations this year. As for Inter, they got the draw against Palermo, but as Juve lost and Fiorentina drawed(what's the past simple for draw? I think its Not drawed... but who cares :P) Inter remains in the lead. Roma used their win to get to the 2nd place.

One last look at Germany, where Shalke and Bremen tied 1-1 and Dortmund 0-0 wit Bayern. Hamburg is climbing up, with their victory this week. 5 points separate them from Bayern. In portugal there's no TV coverage of Bundesliga, but I'm sure van der Vaart is playing amazing, as ever. I hope to see him in Inter soon, they sure need a number 10 :P

Patoz
October 29, 2007, 03:44 PM
Juventus lost against Napoli (Naples)... I don't know if I have to be surprised or scandalized... the referee gave two penality kicks (2 great mistakes...) and the Juventus lost 3-1...

If you wanna see the match http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoFYxzEQH4

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
October 29, 2007, 11:03 PM
I heard that the referee for that game is banned from the Serie-A and got his FIFA license revoked. Is that true?

rykarreolacr
October 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
I know for a fact that he will be suspended for about 40 days and will be relegated to Serie B, I don't know about the FIFA license tough.

Mendes
October 30, 2007, 01:39 AM
I didnt knew it was possible for a referee to be suspended and relegated just because of mistakes in a match... if the same happened here in portugal every time a referee did something like that we'd have probably no referees right now. We've seen of everything in here and the referees are always protected instead.

rykarreolacr
October 30, 2007, 01:51 AM
He also did terribly poorly in the last match... He simply lacks personality...

Lohnt
October 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
Referees actually getting punishment for favoring one team and practically GIVING THEM the victory?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... ...HAHHAHAHAAH

surely you jest :p
[hr]
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_JI9bhBHTy8&eurl=http://sport24.gr/html/ent/412/ent.203412.asp

77 Career goals
6 This season

Wow.. He actually has more skill than many offensive midfielders.

Mendes
October 31, 2007, 07:22 AM
Well, I havent seen the match, neither the previous matches of that referee, but I agree with this kind of punishments to the referees who clearly benefit one team. The thing is, every week in Portugal, the referees do unbelievable 'mistakes' and, unless they're blind, they should be severely punished as well, but the worse 'punishment' they get is not whistling any match in the following week.
Chek this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5wioGNh4u4E) out, for instance... the commentator is saying the assistant referee was in front of them, and the main referee had a direct angle. None of the refs considered any fault... while the player who got trampled by the goal kicker got injured for months. Things like this happen a lot in Portugal, but we dont have football justice, like in Italy.

Epul
October 31, 2007, 08:55 AM
I did not know that refereeing in portugal was that bad.... now that's a serious problem....
I think the best way to handle this is by giving some kind of reward to the referee if they did a good job and not just punish them if they did a bad job.... Maybe, just maybe by doing so, referees will be more motivated to do a good job.... that's what i think anyway..

Mendes
October 31, 2007, 09:41 AM
The referees have support in here. Although we still dont have professional referees, as a part time job, they are really well paid. They get money for each game they whistle in and if they do a bad job, they dont get to whistle as many times as the refs that do better jobs. Still, that doesnt seem to be working and weekly we see unbelievably bad performances from them. I'm not saying every referee in Portugal is bad, but I'm in favor of professionalization of the portuguese refs.

As I watch the english premier league weekly I can see how the refereeing in there helps the show. There's almost no simulating (a true art in portugal), there's much less faults (less than 1/3 in comparison to portugal), keeping the game's useful time much higher and better, and specially, there's no 'blind' referees, who ignore agression and penalties in an intolerable way. I dunno if referee professionalization will help, but its worth a shot. Being a referee isnt just implying the rules, its part of the show. In england you usually see the refs talking casually to the players, explaining them what they did wrong. In Portugal there's no such thing. The refs opt for the easiest way and just show them the card.

Its not like the refs are the only bad thing in portuguese's super league. I'm worried for the recent lack of ambition of many of our clubs. Since the number of teams in the league went down for 18 to 16, and consequently the number of teams who went to the second division lowered from 3 to 2, its very noticeable that many teams are satisfied with the draw, as long as they dont loose, so they dont attack anymore. We've seen teams playing like they were just doing a daily practice if they're tied at the last 20 minutes. No one attacks coz they dont want to risk a loss when they have the draw already and the other team puts no pressure coz they're satisfied as well... its kinda sad

Epul
November 03, 2007, 09:58 AM
Arsenal drew with Man Utd 2-2. It was a great game. I enjoyed it very much. But I would have enjoyed it more if united were able to hold out at 2-1 until the final whistle. :scry Arsenal got lucky and nicked in the equaliser in injury time..... but still I still think it was a good result for man utd. Getting a draw against Arsenal away from home. What makes it frustrating is that united could have won the game if they keep their concentration and just keep the ball near the end of the game........ :scry

Mendes
November 04, 2007, 03:57 PM
I saw it too, a great match even tough the game was too tactical in the first minutes with no goal attempts. After that the game became quite emotional and very good. Anyone could have won. People say United deserved to win, but I personally think it was a fair result.

Milan is screwing up in the serie A, with another home draw. Each week they keep getting further from the top and I think they're not title candidates anymore. In this last match (0-0) it was noticeable that they need a stronger reference in the attack. I think they should reinforce the attack in the winter market (drogba maybe?).

Sao Paulo won the Brasileirão 4 weeks before the end of the league, showing their great dominance this year in Brasil.

Right now, Juve is loosing against Inter, 0-1, in the day Figo completes 35 years. Inter seems to be playing better as they're getting the best chances. Julio Cruz scored the goal.

EDIT: Juve got the draw. Camoranesi scored the 1-1. I am suspicious, since I support Inter, but I think Juve got very lucky. I saw a penalty over Zlatan... the referees didnt. I also think Chielini should have been expelled after an elbow attack on Zlatan, but one minute later Burdisso avenged him, punching the italian :P Both evens were unnoticed by the refs.
Figo got a rough birthday present from Nedved, getting him injured.
In the end, nothing changes in the lead, as Roma also drawed against empoli. The exception is Fiorentina. This year's sensation in Italy got the win over Lazio in Rome.

Patoz
November 06, 2007, 05:40 PM
Great Victory of SS Lazio against Werder Bremen! Now we have to kick Olimpiakos ass! (sorry Olimpiacos supporters, but I had to say this :gigglebunny)

DGWL
November 06, 2007, 09:10 PM
Main Stand, Row 16.

Liverpool 8 - 0 Besiktas.

New Uefa Champions League record.

Enough said :)

Mendes
November 07, 2007, 06:15 AM
yeah... insane victory! You also gotta love porto's first goal over marseille last night, scored by tarik sektioui. For a second I thought maradonna was playing for us xD
As for Valencia... their done, and with a little help from chelsea, who beat shalke, rosenborg is actually isolated in the second place! Things are really looking up for them, even tough they are in one of the strongest groups.

Milan seems to be a completely different team when playing in the champions league. 3-0 in shaktior's field was impressive. In their group, Benfica says goodbye to the CL, with another loss against Celtic.
The most balanced group seems to be group C, where real madrid got the victory over olympiakos 4-2. Lazio's victory over bremen makes this group still very open, where even the last can take the 1st spot.

Jiraya I assume you saw Lazio against Bremen, so I got to ask this. Why exactly got Diego expelled? I can tell he scored a penalty at '88, and got a yellow at the same time, (couldnt be celebrating a goal, since bremen was out of time) but at '90 he got his 2nd yellow and was expelled. I've seen Diego play for Porto in 2 years and he never got expelled and rarely got yellows, so I wonder what happened with him to get 2 yellows in 2 minutes

Lohnt
November 07, 2007, 08:28 PM
Does anyone else play fantasy football on Uefa.com?

Mendes
November 08, 2007, 08:19 AM
I created a team there yesterday. I just didnt like not being able to select more than 2 players from the same team... so my team is:
GK: Helton, Tiago
Def: Daniel Alves, Roberto Carlos, Ricardo Carvalho, Cordoba, Piqué
Mid:Quaresma, Alex, Pirlo, Fabregas, Fletcher
Attack:Adebayor, Nistelrooy, Lucarelli

and yours refi(aka Lohnt)?

Lohnt
November 08, 2007, 11:16 AM
refi is fine, I don't mind =) I changed my name because.. not sure why, it was 4am and spur of the moment

My champs league team sucks, but I think I'm better at the Uefa cup

Dream team 1: Reina LIV 13 6 Porto (H)
Dream team 2: Júlio César OLY 14 6 Lazio (A)
Dream team 3: Sergio Ramos RM 12 5 Bremen (A)
Dream team 4: Sagna ARS 21 - Sevilla (A)
Dream team 5: Ferrari ROM 2 1 Dynamo Kyiv (A)
Dream team 6: Cristiano Ronaldo MU 34 9 Sporting (H)
Dream team 7: Katsouranis BEN 12 2 Milan (H)
Dream team 8: Galletti OLY 19 4 Lazio (A)
Dream team 9: Kaká MIL 22 11 Benfica (A)
Dream team 10: McDonald (C) CEL 10 2 Shakhtar (H)
Dream team 11: Raúl RM 22 2 Bremen (A)
Dream team 12: Quim BEN 16 4 Milan (H)
Dream team 13: Daniel Alves SEV 12 6 Arsenal (H)
Dream team 14: Leandro Lima POR 2 - Liverpool (A)
Dream team 15: Dică

Cup -
Dream team 1: Adler LEV 8 - -
Dream team 2: Lahm BAY - - Braga (A)
Dream team 3: Goumas PAN 12 - -
Dream team 4: Capdevila VIL 7 - -
Dream team 5: Osman EVE 10 - -
Dream team 6: Ivanschitz PAN 9 - -
Dream team 7: Barnetta LEV 3 - -
Dream team 8: Ivić (C) ARI - - Bolton (A)
Dream team 9: Klose BAY 10 - Braga (A)
Dream team 10: Frutos AND 10 - -
Dream team 11: Larsson HEL 6 - Austria Wien (H)
Dream team 12: Chalkias ARI - - Bolton (A)
Dream team 13: Seitaridis ATL - - Aberdeen (H)
Dream team 14: Maxi Rodríguez ATL 1 - Aberdeen (H)
Dream team 15: Papastathopoulos AEK 2 - Fiorentina (H)

Do you want to make a league? Like a mangahelpers league =p so we can play together?

Mendes
November 08, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm for it :P I created the "MangaHelpersLeague". Anyone is free to join. The score starts with gameweek 5
EDIT: oh and the code to join is 292089-42254 (details...)

Lohnt
November 08, 2007, 07:09 PM
My team (carnality) suuuuuuuuuucks

but I tend to suck at fantasy sports, I should have gambled on the games today.. I was mostly right about the results.

Patoz
November 09, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey, what's this MangaHelpersLeague? Explain better please (I'm just too slow on understanding) that I want to join.... Pleeeease :wtf

Lohnt
November 09, 2007, 07:13 PM
Go here http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/index.html
Look on the right menu, there is a box called fanzone, sign up and make a team

then go here

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/index.html look on the right, enter the SAME e-mail, no need to sign up twice, just sign IN twice, make another team and then use the code: 292089-42254 to join our league

You won't get all the players you want in Champs League, because by matchday 5 they're already freaking uber expensive, that's why I suggest making a uefa cup team now while they're still relatively cheap.

Freaking Fabergas is like 4 years younger than me..

Epul
November 11, 2007, 12:19 PM
I'm for it :P I created the "MangaHelpersLeague". Anyone is free to join. The score starts with gameweek 5
EDIT: oh and the code to join is 292089-42254 (details...)

Awesome!!!! I'm certainly gonna join!

BTW, Man united beat Blackburn 2-0. Ronaldo scored both goal. Chelsea drew with Everton. Drogba and Cahill with the goal. Cahill's goal was awesome! Tottenham beat Wigan 4-0. Didn't see the game but heard Tottenham played some excellent football.

EDIT: I've joined!!! My team is (Winning Eleven :) )

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
November 11, 2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like the extra Portugal boost improved Ronaldo's game lately. With Nani being on the team, CR got a useful backup/duet and they both could play both left and right winger.
And Spur was awesome. They made the right decision hiring that Sevilla coach. :D

Lohnt
November 11, 2007, 04:51 PM
This is the code to join the Mangahelpersleague in the Uefa CUP fantasy football, apparently the code wont work for both

30731-3838
[hr]
I have to stop gambling on soccer.

No, I need to stop gambling period.

Mendes
November 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
I may do a UEFA cup team later... In the CL league, why cant we see each others teams? :/
And Lohnt... wtf... you're a benfica fan? You selected Benfica as your favorite team!

Lohnt
November 12, 2007, 05:25 AM
Out of the teams that are competing in Champs League, yea I'm a Benfica fan =p

Katsouranis! Although without Santos and Karagounis gone, less than I used to be.

Mendes
November 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
bah... I hate Benfica :P
In Portugal its a reciprocal feeling between Porto and Benfica

Lohnt
November 12, 2007, 01:08 PM
Really? I always assumed Sporting and Porto had a rivalry.. To be honest, I shouldn't be such a Benfica fan though, because they've been giving us some really crappy trades like Manduca and Morreto. Manu isn't bad, but speed alone can only get you so far. Manduca has reached his peak (which isn't even halfway as good as the potential of our younger players) and Morreto threw the ball at our defenders BACK during the Sevilla match.. I mean it's absurd.

Oh well. Actually to be honest, I've started being an Arsenal fan this season, especially since they're interested in one of my favorite players from AEK (Papastathopoulos), with Fabregas, they're starting to build a young team around him with talented players and it's really interesting to me to see the result. From what I've heard their scouts were at the U19 finals scouting for players.

Also this season I really like Barca's offensive lineup (Toure and up), I don't really recognize their defenders, but their offense is incredible. I wouldn't call myself a fan though.. just admire their skill.

bebekhappy
November 12, 2007, 01:31 PM
hey...have you guys heard what happened in Serie A?3 games postponed mainly because the clash between fans and police, and unfortunately there was a Lazio fan was accidentally shot by police and died. here's the news

http://soccerway.com/news/2007/November/11/football-fans-death-sparks-renewed-violence-in-italy
http://soccerway.com/news/2007/November/12/police-killing-plunges-italy-into-new-football-fan-turmoil
http://soccerway.com/news/2007/November/12/italian-policeman-faces-manslaughter-inquiry-into-fan-killing

so what do you guys think?

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
November 13, 2007, 12:29 PM
Something like that never happened here, games usually continues, unless the riot in the stadium is too much to handle. But i havent heard about any death caused by football riot, considering that we got lots of them here, it's gonna happen sooner or later.

Mendes
November 14, 2007, 03:33 AM
Its just sad that people use football as an excuse to resort to violence. Unfortunately this happens everywhere, with different ratios

pseudorca
November 16, 2007, 12:53 PM
Something like that never happened here, games usually continues, unless the riot in the stadium is too much to handle. But i havent heard about any death caused by football riot, considering that we got lots of them here, it's gonna happen sooner or later.

Well the cops might still be able to contain riots in the stadium, except in extreme conditions. But the trouble is when it continues outside the stadium. Whenever my local team has a match, I wouldn't dare venture downtown...
And It seems that most tragedies involving football riots around the world occur outside the stadium... and the policy had to resort to violence, which led to even more trouble (like what happened in italy)

After reading the wiki article about it, I found that it is actually quite an interesting phenomenon, how hooliganism developed almost wherever football(soccer) is played... I wonder if any sociologist had done any proper study on this matter...

Hmmm, I don't remember any riots happening in captain tsubasa >.>

walkie
November 17, 2007, 07:10 PM
yaayyyy, turkey beat norway 2-1 at norway!!!!! it seems turkey gonna be in euro-championship this summer (of course turkey needs one more win, in last game)

Epul
November 18, 2007, 03:04 AM
Israel beat Russia 2-1. Steve McCLaren must be very relieved with that result. Now England has a good chance to qualify. They probably just need a draw in the next game....Lucky England...... :XD

Mendes
November 18, 2007, 12:32 PM
portugal won once again, but i'm getting tired of such poor football we're playing... this time we only got a 1-0 victory at home against armenia. Well, we 'only' need a home draw next wednesday against finlandia. For real, we need a very different performance to survive the last game...