PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Mega-Fulgor
June 02, 2009, 11:45 AM
How old is he? cos i've heard that name thrown around a few times but didnt bother to check it out...

He's 19.

goldb
June 02, 2009, 12:06 PM
wow, ok no wonder he's turning eyes, seems all good footballers are getting attention at a younger age than a decade+ ago

Lohnt
June 02, 2009, 05:17 PM
The first goal is pretty sick I have to give that one my vote.

blai
June 02, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah the first one was cool like shit!

Imperium
June 02, 2009, 06:31 PM
Perez has been elected, pellegrini is coach, and they are about to sign kaka. Galactico's mark II.

Its actually quite amusing, if the do buy villa, ribery, kaka, alonso it would be so like them. The hardly have what could be considered a defence and they go and buy attackers. They're rightback has been rubbish the whole season (although is still a good player) and the less said about the left side, the better. Central defence is made up of a psycho, an incredibly slow lumbering german, and a guy who is on his way out. They just conceded six goals at home to their rivals and they go and buy attackers! Bloody hell, are they expecting to win their next encounter with barcelona 7-6? >___>;

goldb
June 02, 2009, 06:33 PM
lol alright calm down Blai; so Gourcuff is getting most votes, so how about top 3?

1. Gourcuff
2. Torres
3. Simon Cox/Eduardo

Mendes
June 03, 2009, 03:45 AM
Perez has been elected, pellegrini is coach, and they are about to sign kaka. Galactico's mark II.

Its actually quite amusing, if the do buy villa, ribery, kaka, alonso it would be so like them. The hardly have what could be considered a defence and they go and buy attackers. They're rightback has been rubbish the whole season (although is still a good player) and the less said about the left side, the better. Central defence is made up of a psycho, an incredibly slow lumbering german, and a guy who is on his way out. They just conceded six goals at home to their rivals and they go and buy attackers! Bloody hell, are they expecting to win their next encounter with barcelona 7-6? >___>;

loool I guess so! I don't want to jump to conclusions before they finish their shopping, but if they dont reinforce the defense they're doomed. Still, it makes us wonder... with Ribery, Kaka, Villa, Silva and Robben... Nistelrooy... that'd be an interesting attack

blai
June 03, 2009, 05:14 AM
Lol goldb, I'm calm, don't worry :-p

'n the top 3 's just 'bout it!

goldb
June 03, 2009, 08:19 AM
So...anyone believe this £56 Millions transfer of Kaka to Real Madrid will go through? seems like it's getting there, and apparently they've still not given up on Cristiano Ronaldo

Starzen
June 03, 2009, 09:32 AM
I dont think kaka would go there after refusing to go to manchester city. Ronaldo might go to madrid though.

Lohnt
June 06, 2009, 03:07 AM
I think both will go and many more will follow, this is why the final didn't excite me, Real will do anything to take down Barca now...

And Barca in retribution, seems to want Ibrahimovic for Eto..

blai
June 06, 2009, 07:45 AM
Sorry Danish people but tonight, just tonight I will loath everyone of you.

Go Sweden!!! Woho!

Saintz0r
June 06, 2009, 04:13 PM
Poor Uruguai :XD
Their biggest defeat in the Centenário and it's from a team who had never won against them in oficial games played in Montevidéu.
What can I say? Just send the Confederations Cup trophy to Brasil so we can be spared the trip ( which would be the hardest part of winning the CC) :XD

blai
June 06, 2009, 06:22 PM
Great Sweden... haven't seen you fucking up that many chances in one game before... wow

Mendes
June 07, 2009, 05:40 AM
My God! We won a match!!! 9 months later, Bruno Alves saved Portugal from another tie, this time with Albania. He scored the winning goal after the 90th minute xD Man we suck... even after this win I really doubt we can win every other match and qualify...

goldb
June 07, 2009, 06:08 AM
@Mendes: What position are Portugal in their group?

Mendes
June 07, 2009, 07:55 AM
@Mendes: What position are Portugal in their group?
(played) (pts)
1 Denmark 6 16
2 Hungary 6 13
3 Portugal 6 9
4 Sweden 5 6
5 Albânia 8 6
6 Malta 7 1

We still have to play Hungary and Denmark away...

Lohnt
June 07, 2009, 08:05 AM
Portugal can do it, they're resilient when they get their mind to it.

By the way, is Danny Alves (Zenit) off the squad again? =(

Mendes
June 07, 2009, 08:11 AM
Portugal can do it, they're resilient when they get their mind to it.

By the way, is Danny Alves (Zenit) off the squad again? =(

yup. The truth is he didnt impress at all when he got the opportunity to. What bothers me is Queiroz's choice in Luis Boa Morte (west ham). He never Ever played well for the national squad. With Quaresma totally finished, I'd pick Nani and Simão as wingers

digitaldude
June 07, 2009, 08:26 AM
(played) (pts)
1 Denmark 6 16
2 Hungary 6 13
3 Portugal 6 9
4 Sweden 5 6
5 Albânia 8 6
6 Malta 7 1

We still have to play Hungary and Denmark away...

This does not seem to hard, but there`s the whole thing about only 8 runner ups from 9 groups will go to the playoffs, and I feel if Portugal finishes second they might as well be the bubbler, I don`t think Portugal will get first the dannes have a 7 point lead and there's only 4 games remaining.

goldb
June 07, 2009, 11:41 AM
ooohh that's not a very good looking group is it?

Seems they won't make it, barring a miracle or some crazy run...

On another note, Netherlands are the 1st european team to qualify for the WC 2010! England seem in complete control of their group and should be a step closer to qualification after they win on wednesday...

Lohnt
June 07, 2009, 11:54 AM
So my local sports website says Kaka is doing medical exams in Madrid.
Personally, if I was Ronaldo, and I had to face Barca next season with the additions of Benzema/Ibrahimovic and Xabi/Fabregas, I would prefer to play for a team with Kaka + all stars as my teammates rather than a winding down Rooney (despite his amazing goal with England) and drama in the ranks of Tevez/others.

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 07, 2009, 01:38 PM
So my local sports website says Kaka is doing medical exams in Madrid.
Personally, if I was Ronaldo, and I had to face Barca next season with the additions of Benzema/Ibrahimovic and Xabi/Fabregas, I would prefer to play for a team with Kaka + all stars as my teammates rather than a winding down Rooney (despite his amazing goal with England) and drama in the ranks of Tevez/others.

Cool just forget about the defence. Cool and smart. We all know the attacking players track back and the Galactico era was so successful.

goldb
June 07, 2009, 01:45 PM
For Real Madrid to become as sucessful as they were during the Galacticos, imo they need to settle on a manager instead of changing every year despite that manager bringing them trohpies. I think their best manager that I've seen since I've been here is Vincente del Bosque, he really knew how to get the players together and wasn't taking none of the bullshit.

Seeing them play back in them days was like watching some fantastic film with your favourite superheroes, great stuff; especially when Zidane was there..absolute legend

If Kaka goes there, I hope they do get their act together and look to strengthen their team instead of just buying to please the fans.

kkck
June 11, 2009, 02:39 AM
I just have to say this: "ERES CHIQUITITO ARGENTINAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!" loooooool

ERES GRANDE BRAZIl, te pasaste!

No eres nadie bolivia!

Imperium
June 11, 2009, 07:37 AM
Urm...should i be the first?

Ronaldo bid accepted. 95% chance he is going to spain. United also might not be able to spend all the money at once. The money should be in installments which means united might not have it all, and added to the fact that they have all that debt and loans that glazer brought in...they may end up with a antonio valencia instead of a franck ribery.

But if they do get full 80 million pounds. Im not that worried, afterall...

Nani, berbatov, anderson, hargreaves = 80 million

:smile-big

L0ki
June 11, 2009, 12:26 PM
I just have to say this: "ERES CHIQUITITO ARGENTINAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!" loooooool

ERES GRANDE BRAZIl, te pasaste!

No eres nadie bolivia!

Eres grande Brasil? Ganar cagando aceite y defendiendo en el área chica todos los partidos significa ser grande? Estás seguro?

Every single national team sucks. Period.

I never cease to be amazed at MandrilMadrid's spending capacity. Their debt must be similar to a small county's foreign debt.

thsv
June 11, 2009, 12:44 PM
I laughed when I read this

Given Diego Maradona's pharmaceutical history, it is probably fair to say he is no stranger to the odd nosebleed. Which may explain why he is so rubbish at managing teams at altitude.

Earlier this year Argentina were tonked 6-1 away to Bolivia, and last night they went down 2-0 in Ecuador after a match that saw Carlos Tevez miss a penalty and Leo Messi miss a sitter.

Never the most gracious loser, Maradona insisted his side had deserved to win.

"(Ecuador) didn't do anything in the first half," he said. "In the second half, they got a couple of rebounds and they scored two goals.

"If we had scored a goal, it would have finished the game off."

Probably not at 2-0 though, eh?

Rather excitingly, Maradona's men are now in genuine danger of not qualifying. They are in the fourth and final automatic qualifying position, two points ahead of Ecuador and another two ahead of Uruguay.

Their next game is a nice, easy one against group leaders Brazil, and even in Argentina questions are being asked over the managerial credentials of somebody who is considered half-man, half-deity.

Argentina have failed to qualify only once in their history, and there would be a neat symmetry if the man who won the World Cup almost by himself manages to lose it just as single-handedly.

L0ki
June 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
Maradona can't coach, and Tevez can't be the main forward of a serious team. Looking at his stats (1 goal and 2 red cards) one'd think he's a defender.

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 11, 2009, 01:32 PM
Urm...should i be the first?

Ronaldo bid accepted. 95% chance he is going to spain. United also might not be able to spend all the money at once. The money should be in installments which means united might not have it all, and added to the fact that they have all that debt and loans that glazer brought in...they may end up with a antonio valencia instead of a franck ribery.

But if they do get full 80 million pounds. Im not that worried, afterall...

Nani, berbatov, anderson, hargreaves = 80 million

:smile-big

But that = 2 EPLs and CL over 2 seasons. I'm happy. :oh

Imperium
June 11, 2009, 01:37 PM
^ lool. Cant say much back to that xD

Maradona can't coach, and Tevez can't be the main forward of a serious team. Looking at his stats (1 goal and 2 red cards) one'd think he's a defender.I just looked at his stats for argentina. It would make emile heskey proud. Never knew he scored so little for them.

Saintz0r
June 11, 2009, 01:55 PM
I laughed when I read this

Given Diego Maradona's pharmaceutical history, it is probably fair to say he is no stranger to the odd nosebleed. Which may explain why he is so rubbish at managing teams at altitude.

Earlier this year Argentina were tonked 6-1 away to Bolivia, and last night they went down 2-0 in Ecuador after a match that saw Carlos Tevez miss a penalty and Leo Messi miss a sitter.

Never the most gracious loser, Maradona insisted his side had deserved to win.

"(Ecuador) didn't do anything in the first half," he said. "In the second half, they got a couple of rebounds and they scored two goals.

"If we had scored a goal, it would have finished the game off."

Probably not at 2-0 though, eh?

Rather excitingly, Maradona's men are now in genuine danger of not qualifying. They are in the fourth and final automatic qualifying position, two points ahead of Ecuador and another two ahead of Uruguay.

Their next game is a nice, easy one against group leaders Brazil, and even in Argentina questions are being asked over the managerial credentials of somebody who is considered half-man, half-deity.

Argentina have failed to qualify only once in their history, and there would be a neat symmetry if the man who won the World Cup almost by himself manages to lose it just as single-handedly.
Maradona's is being as 'good' as Dunga was in the begining. Luckily by now he understood he can't let Josue play and Ramires has a place in this team. Now, if he can just send Pato and Gilberto Silva back to hell I'll be a happy person :D

Eres grande Brasil? Ganar cagando aceite y defendiendo en el área chica todos los partidos significa ser grande? Estás seguro?

I never cease to be amazed at MandrilMadrid's spending capacity. Their debt must be similar to a small county's foreign debt.
Winning on the defense all the matches? I tought we had the best attack of the south american qualifyers xD
The match against Equador, ok. We were in thedefense all the time and only got a draw cause Julio is the best keeper in the world. But most games we're attacking as much as defending.

About Madrid... well if they don't buy an entire defense it won't matter much. Pepe/Heinze are laughable. Casillas is very good, but he's not a miracle worker. I heard somewhere they'd try to buy Vidic too, if that's true then Madrid will become something fearsome. With Kaka, CR, Villa, etc and this defense I'm not so sure.

L0ki
June 11, 2009, 02:07 PM
Winning on the defense all the matches? I tought we had the best attack of the south american qualifyers xD

Seeing how pitiful the current level of south-american national teams is, that's not saying much.

The match against Equador, ok. We were in thedefense all the time and only got a draw cause Julio is the best keeper in the world. But most games we're attacking as much as defending.

The point was that Brazil doesn't play like a big team. They usually can't keep control of the midfield, they defend close to the keeper and try to launch fast counterattacks. Their passing ability and team play is atrocious (for a brazilian team) so they try to keep their attack style direct. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not Brazil's historical style, is it?

blai
June 11, 2009, 05:21 PM
This does not seem to hard, but there`s the whole thing about only 8 runner ups from 9 groups will go to the playoffs, and I feel if Portugal finishes second they might as well be the bubbler, I don`t think Portugal will get first the dannes have a 7 point lead and there's only 4 games remaining.

Portugal will beat dear Hungary and take the 2nd place in the group , no doubt. Even though Hungary did play good these qualifications I doubt It's enough.

Mendes
June 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
I could see Madrid going for a right back, like Maicon, so that Sergio Ramos can go back to the center of the defense. Wait a sec... they got Ronaldo and Kaka!!! OMFG who needs defenders? they'll most likely win every match 15-14! xO
Seriously, I'm impressed... never thought they could actually pull it... I'm starting to believe they'll buy Messi, Villa, Silva... Pelegrini will have to decide between Ronaldo and Villa to play as center backs :P
[hr]

Portugal will beat dear Hungary and take the 2nd place in the group , no doubt. Even though Hungary did play good these qualifications I doubt It's enough.

I'm not so sure 'bout that... it'd be a miracle looking at our recent performances. We won 2-1 to Armenia with a late goal after 90' in a corner... how can we beat Hungary like that?

blai
June 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not so sure 'bout that... it'd be a miracle looking at our recent performances. We won 2-1 to Armenia with a late goal after 90' in a corner... how can we beat Hungary like that?

Well don't forget Hungary also only beat Albania with 1-0, though after 38mins but they did not rule the game. They're playing against Sweden next round and that will be really interesting. Don't know which team to support tho... And in Feb we lost vs Israel with 0-1 after the 70-something minute.

So, yeh we took on Malta and 3-0'd them but that was in the beginning of April and much could've happened.

The Portuguese might just've had a bad day...

Mendes
June 12, 2009, 01:25 PM
Our bad day was against Denmark... we were winning 2-1 at 90' and ended up loosing 3-2 :( I dunno, things are dark here
[hr]
I think I hit the bull's eye... Maicon will most likely go to Madrid... excellent signing imo

kkck
June 14, 2009, 03:17 AM

A la hora de la hora nada de eso importa. Nadie se va a tomar la molestia de recordar los detalles del partido(ni ahora ni nunca). Brasil gano y punto. Esto no es captain tsubasa.

I don't think national teams suck but it is true clubs are overall better...

Mendes
June 16, 2009, 09:41 AM
You could have an all stars nation (Brazil often makes some) and there'd still be alot of clubs who play better. The training routines (which the national teams have not) are very important and that's why I think Hiddink is being so successeful in the national team business. What he made of Russia in the last Euro Cup was simply amazing, and you could tell his team was physically dominant over most adversaries.
[hr]
Porto sold Cissokho to Milan for 15M€! We bought him for 300thousand € 6 months ago, so its a super investment. Its also true that the first good left back we had since I can remember has come and gone... Now we'll most likely live another 10 years without finding another good one.

digitaldude
June 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
Russia almost did not make it, after getting beaten by Israel, but that England blunder, got them all the way to the semi finals and it was awesome since I`m Russian, and we always joke how bad our national team is, but not anymore!

blai
June 17, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hmm that goal wasn't all bad...
U21-EC
Check out Belarus's goal, and Swedens fifth goal...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jWPZWfI8fE&feature=related

Some big cannons there.

Saintz0r
June 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
The point was that Brazil doesn't play like a big team. They usually can't keep control of the midfield, they defend close to the keeper and try to launch fast counterattacks. Their passing ability and team play is atrocious (for a brazilian team) so they try to keep their attack style direct. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not Brazil's historical style, is it?

Well, I agree it's far from being a awesome team, I'm just saying it's also not as bad as some people here in Brasil think.
That way we play is veeeeery boring when we face small teams that defend all the time and usually the game ends with a 0x0. But it proved to be fairly good when we faced the big teams who attacked us, 6x2 in Portugal, 3x0 in Argentina and 2x0 in Italy. Besides, in a penalty match Julio's one of the most trustworthy keeper so I'd bet in us :p

@Confederations Cup
Nice, South Africa! I'm really hoping you'll go to the semi-finals xD

Dunga you #$¨#&#@!, called Kleberson completely ruined Flamengo's midfield and he hasn't even played yet! He better play tomorrow or ... :mad:p

ibra87
June 18, 2009, 03:26 PM
1-0 Egypt - Italy :blink

Seems like Egypt is on fire. First they almost score a tie with Brazil and now they beat the world champions. I think they're probably performing 110% and may soon break down but for now kudos to them.

Pirulito
June 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
I'm not surprised.
Italy exudes not the least of confidence. The only thing that supports current italian team is the tradition.

thsv
June 19, 2009, 03:16 PM
Egypt performance has impressed me. It's even more impressive when you find out that they're third in their world cup qualifying group. But then I always felt the African groups were hardest to get out of.

Mendes
June 20, 2009, 06:48 AM
Tevez is leaving MU. The club has stated they wont pay the price set by the shareholders of the player. I guess he'll be going to Man City, unless some big club opens their wallet. Personally, I'd like to see him in a club he could play as a 1st team regular, like Inter or Barça (if they loose Eto'o and don't buy Ibra). He'd do fine in L'pool too or FcPorto :P

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 20, 2009, 07:13 AM
Egypt performance has impressed me. It's even more impressive when you find out that they're third in their world cup qualifying group. But then I always felt the African groups were hardest to get out of.

They've only played 2 matches, there's still plenty of time for them to get on top of the group, I expect them to qualify.

Lelo
June 20, 2009, 04:19 PM
Tevez is leaving MU. The club has stated they wont pay the price set by the shareholders of the player. I guess he'll be going to Man City, unless some big club opens their wallet. Personally, I'd like to see him in a club he could play as a 1st team regular, like Inter or Barça (if they loose Eto'o and don't buy Ibra). He'd do fine in L'pool too or FcPorto :P

Liverpool maybe? That sucks hes leaving too. Now Man U has got some signing to do and they better not disappoint.

Lohnt
June 21, 2009, 03:59 PM
Liverpool should get one of Villa/Arshavin/Lisandro in that order of preferance.

I really dont understand why they would waste this opportunity of MU's weakness to become champs again by investing a little money.
Instead it seems like Liverpool will sell out all of its top players like Torres, Xabi, Reira and Mascherano. Gerrard is probably next with Galacticoz if he performs better next season than he did this year.

predsfan
June 21, 2009, 04:16 PM
How about that? I had given up on the U.S. in the Confederations Cup. They needed to make up six goals on Italy to advance. What do they do, beat Egypt 3-0 and get help from Brazil (they beat Italy 3-0). Our reward for advancing: Spain :(. I'm not stupid enough to hope for a win, but I'll be interested to see how they play against the World's #1. Hopefully, we keep it respectable.

Mendes
June 21, 2009, 09:34 PM
LOL Italy got pwned and I never imagined USA could pick up such win over Egypt... congrats on that one.
I feel sorry for Italy tough. Everyone knows they currently suck, but they have to keep their dignity as world champs. Its clear that their new generation is worse than the previous.

Saintz0r
June 21, 2009, 10:34 PM
Brasil x Italy?
Nah, today we had a Flamengo x Inter with a hattrick from the emperor!
4x0 Flamengo O0! Flamengo, in the way to the sixth brazilian title!

Lelo
June 21, 2009, 10:36 PM
yella, Spain vs Brazil, lets get to it. If any lose that would be devastating

thsv
June 22, 2009, 11:52 AM
LOL Italy got pwned and I never imagined USA could pick up such win over Egypt... congrats on that one.
I feel sorry for Italy tough. Everyone knows they currently suck, but they have to keep their dignity as world champs. Its clear that their new generation is worse than the previous.
pffff!

We all know they should never have gotten past Australia in the second round in Germany.

Lohnt
June 24, 2009, 03:02 PM
I will laugh and never stop if Spain loses to the US, a team that is kicking ass tonight.. if they played like this more often, maybe the rest of the world would respect them.
[hr]
1-0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
more to come.
[hr]
Oh Spain..
In 35 games, Greece alone (in our Euro Champion flair, not the post crappy team) had scored 2 goals on you, then you had the impenetrable defense and the godlike offense.

And now the United States, after schooling you in Basketball, school you in football.
I don't know what to say, laughing feels mean now.

But seriously.. the U.S. .... 2 - 0
USA all the way??

Kaka better look out, he may need to go to the Galaxy to learn some new moves!

ibra87
June 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
Our reward for advancing: Spain :(. I'm not stupid enough to hope for a win, but I'll be interested to see how they play against the World's #1. Hopefully, we keep it respectable.

Feel like taking those words back? :p Honestly though, USA were impressive this round. Doubt they'll win the final match, but hey it's well done for a country that calls this sport "soccer" anyway.

Imperium
June 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
Unbelievable. But you have to give them credit. They worked their socks off it was almost heroic. lol Ridiculous upset though, they just beat the best team in the world, who just came off a record 15 consecutive wins and equalled brazil's record of 35 unbeaten games and in a semi-final too. Dayum.

Pirulito
June 24, 2009, 03:32 PM
That is why when you like a sport, it is something fantastic. Who expect a victory of the United States? Favoritism dies when the game starts.

Spain was unrecognizable and her defeat makes me sad if Brazil go to final.
I was excited to see a match between these two teams.

Lohnt
June 24, 2009, 03:39 PM
Spain was playing normally, don't downplay the US's accomplishment, the US defense was just better, pay more attention to every single individual play made by Torres, Reira, Villa and Ramos, ALL blocked. Only Xavi and Fabregas had decent attempt.

Pirulito
June 24, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry, it wasn't my intention to downplay US's accomplishment, though my previous post has opened for such an interpretation.

But I don't think Spain played normally, Spain not entered the match with the same momentum from previous matches. Throughout the game, they started to control possession of the ball, it's true, but during the first half, they created few opportunities to score.

The Fury massacred in the beginning of the second half, I know. And again, I say they weren't in a good day. The current spanish offensive usually has marksmanship.
But, plus, US's defensive system was great today like in the old times, when Brazil had difficulty to beat them(most of the games Brazil vs US was 1-0 for Brazil)... and, quickly, they stopped the spanish pressure. They was tatically disciplined and demonstrated value in the game.

US's victory is totally deserved, but I don't think Spain played normally.

Mendes
June 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
omg... is that even possible?

Lohnt
June 24, 2009, 06:40 PM
If the US takes it all I will cry.

predsfan
June 24, 2009, 11:09 PM
Feel like taking those words back? :p Honestly though, USA were impressive this round. Doubt they'll win the final match, but hey it's well done for a country that calls this sport "soccer" anyway.
I'll gladly take them back :p. I wasn't foolish enough to expect a victory. The U.S. doesn't play well away from home. This is a team that less then a month ago got beat 3-0 by Costa Rica and had trouble with Honduras. But hey, a pleasant surprise, I only wish I could've watched the game live :crying.

If the US takes it all I will cry.

I hope you'll cry tears of joy ;), I know I will :D.

I'll assume they'll be playing Brazil, so I hope they show better than they did earlier in the tournament. At least keep 11 men on the field (4 games we've had three red cards, fortunately the one against Spain came at the 86').

Anyways, we're are all of the Americans (I'm going by lack of American flags in this thread)? Shouldn't they be spreading some love for the upset the team just pulled off? Oh that's right, no one here cares :tem.

Lohnt
June 25, 2009, 05:48 PM
It's a waste for a country like the US to win though..
When football crazy countries like in Europe and South America win, people riot in the streets and light cars on fire as naked firemen ride on the fronts of firetrucks screaming chants.

No, I'm not making that up, and that was in a small city, in the centers, everywhere you look there are red flare-fires being lit and cars with people on them/lit on fire.

If the US wins, a couple of middle-aged soccer moms and European dads that have immigrated there will drink a beer and say "horaah!"

goldb
June 26, 2009, 11:31 AM
It's a waste for a country like the US to win though..
When football crazy countries like in Europe and South America win, people riot in the streets and light cars on fire as naked firemen ride on the fronts of firetrucks screaming chants.

No, I'm not making that up, and that was in a small city, in the centers, everywhere you look there are red flare-fires being lit and cars with people on them/lit on fire.

If the US wins, a couple of middle-aged soccer moms and European dads that have immigrated there will drink a beer and say "horaah!"

good one, I was shellshocked at Spain's defeat the other day...I totally expected them to outclass the US but the oponents were just better, organised and all

US vs Brazil, we'll see maybe the US will pull off another upset?

blai
June 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
That "Hart" goalie of yours will go far... He's really good.

Though I didn't see that coming... penalty kick in the post during the shoot-out after such a comeback from 3-0 to 3-3 ... blimey....

Life's tough and Swe got some pretty good players that hopefully will do as good in the real deal.

Imperium
June 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
I can only say...THAT is what you call an epic match. Mind-blowing. The spirit from sweden too was something else....i was so tense too, im just glad we made it to the final.

As for hart, he is good but ever since the winter when manchester city bought shay given he hasnt been getting regular football. Hopefully he'll move somewhere where he can get more regular football, at his age thats the most important thing for him now.

Btw, berg, player of the tournament so far. What team does he play for?

Lelo
June 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
damn Spain to hell. I was really anticipating Spain vs Brasil, basa. If USA beats Brasil, I will go nuts.

Mendes
June 28, 2009, 09:56 AM
Saviola goes to Benfica. I guess we'll finally see him play, since he's been 3rd or 4th choice in Barça and Real Madrid for years...
Benfica's policy to hire players stays the same as last year. They buy big names that have already gone trough their good times and now are just expecting a smaller competition. Last year their 'army' with Suazo, Reyes and Aimar got them to 3rd place :P

Sporting CP hired Vilarreal's Matias Fernandez. Heard he's a very good player but had little chances in Vilarreal.

Agrias
June 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
South Africa x Spain is being the best match in the entire confed cup till now. SA was leading all the time, then right in the end of the second half Spain scored twice in less than 5 minutes. It all seemed lost to SA, sad people started leaving the stadium, THEN they scored on 47. Crazy.

Now Spain just scored, such a pity. I was really supporting SA. Bafana bafana~

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
South Africa are pretty good, last 20 minutes were great and all the goals were good. It's good when the hosts aren't terrible and SA could get to the knock out stages in the WC with a bit of luck.

digitaldude
June 28, 2009, 01:10 PM
well, at least South Africa proved they won`t be World cup cannon fodder, and can`t wait for USA vs Brazil match, GO BRAZIL!

ibra87
June 28, 2009, 02:01 PM
2-0 for US.... still waiting for Brazil's comeback. >.> come on

Agrias
June 28, 2009, 02:23 PM
WTF is happening. No really.

Saintz0r
June 28, 2009, 02:33 PM
I'd like to know. Seems like they entered the field thinking of purple cows flying over the rainbow... :XD
Seriously, André Santos isn't worthy of playing for Brasil, same for G. Silva. Ramires is having a bad day and I can't find Kaka in the field...
Let's see what Dunga has in store for us for the second half

Black Lagoon
June 28, 2009, 02:42 PM
how could this happens??

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 28, 2009, 02:44 PM
WTF why did Brazil underestimate USA?

Black Lagoon
June 28, 2009, 02:51 PM
same as Spain

predsfan
June 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
It's just like the US to get my hopes up and then just implode in the second half. 4+ minutes left. I doubt they'll get a goal, but oh well. Good showing at least.

ibra87
June 28, 2009, 03:25 PM
See? told you :p

Same thing as the SA vs Spain match today, Alpha dog victory at the very end.

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
Great comeback. SHould have been 4-2 :p though USA did well, they shouldn't be underestimated in the future.

Saintz0r
June 28, 2009, 04:24 PM
Congrats to USA, I really didn't expect them to make me so worried xD
We totally deserved to win based on our second half! But on our second goal Robinho lost a chance that my grandpa wouldn't lose... he's been really bad lately, maybe some time on the bench would make him realize that.
On the other hand, Luis Fabiano is always scoring and Lucio has been awesome as usual.

Now, I'm going to a bar, we've a derby for the brazilian championship starting in ten minutes :XD

Lelo
June 30, 2009, 02:25 PM
Now we wait for the World Cup

I just downloaded a football game on my iPhone called RSoccer09, it was on sale for 99 cents but only for limited time. It has over 198 teams thanks to the Fifa sponsers and about 6 Cups and 6 league cups and multiplayr. Its sick, if u have an iPhone I highly recommend it. U could probably get it on other phones too, but Im not sure

Lohnt
July 01, 2009, 05:12 PM
Hmm..
I was happy Real was on the prowl and making Galacticos 2.0, but I'm suddenly overcome by horror.

They signed Benzema, and while I love to cheer when Real lose, I was happy for their transfers. But Benzema is a mistake, he belongs in a team like Man U or Barca, at Real he won't exist. I doubt his chemistry will even fit.

Also, what about Raul, Higuain, Van Nistelroy, they don't need a Benzema, they needed a heavy Villa/Forlan.
Sigh.. but now he's gone.
Last good transfer is Aguero, if he does leave Atletico. But even so, I've had a 180 for Real. I can't be support their star power anymore, it's too lame.

Saintz0r
July 01, 2009, 06:19 PM
Real should go for Lucio, he won't play for Bayern anymore and they definetely need a good defender :XD Besides, they wouldn't have to spend lots of money to bring him.

Mendes
July 01, 2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah but I think Perez has a minimum amount of money to spend for each transfer (like 15M€ or something like that) unlike the other teams who have a maximum limit. He will probably buy a huge right back like Maicon and place S.Ramos as a center back.

Black Lagoon
July 02, 2009, 05:23 AM
the amounts paid are too exaggerated, 21 years old 35 million (Benzema)

goldb
July 02, 2009, 05:34 AM
Real sure aren't faffing around...seems Ribery wants to join the revolution as well, but Hoeness won't let him go unless it's an incredible offer.

Madrid need to think about offloading a few players aswell to make place for the others incoming; Van Nistelrooy will most likely leave and others too

Black Lagoon
July 02, 2009, 08:28 AM
Ribery would around 50 million

goldb
July 02, 2009, 09:00 AM
yeah I'm thinking that's the crazy amount Bayern are expecting too

Lelo
July 02, 2009, 05:01 PM
where's Ribery going?

Black Lagoon
July 02, 2009, 06:10 PM
actually nowhere but seems Real Madrid wanna sign with him

@ goldb - yh! Bayern will seize the opportunity, they are seeing real madrid with a surplus of money, so a crazy amount is...

Mendes
July 03, 2009, 05:45 AM
And Zidane is said to be giving advice to Perez. He just has to say 'That Ribery guy is as good as I was!' and Real will give 75M€ for him...
Anyway I really expect something crazy like 60M€

Lohnt
July 03, 2009, 06:03 AM
Why not get Capdevilla or Gallas if they're looking for good Captain/Defenders?
And Marcelo/Sergio are really all Real needs on the back wings IMO.

As for the middle, with so many guys capable of scoring goals, I'd either get a Yaya Toure/Gattuso, or a Beckham to fill up the center and call it a season.
There's no room for anyone else! You have guys like ROBBEN that will be benched with this roster. ROBBEN, he's a fucking monster! I would sell my entire team just to have him on my roster. De La Red will be benched (Despite the crappy season),
Huntelar, Van Der Vaart.. jesus.

goldb
July 03, 2009, 06:17 AM
@Lohnt: De La Red won't play for Real this season, he's got a heart condition from what I heard from Sky Sports News. but Real need to shift a few players though and make their defence stronger if they want to challenge Barca this season.

@Mendes: yeah Zidane has some sort of advisor/consultant role at Real now, for a few months now. he just basically suggests players he thinks will be good for the club and so on...

Michael Owen is having a medical at Man Utd!! who woulda called that one eh? so unpredictable...

Black Lagoon
July 03, 2009, 11:39 AM
@ Mendes - yeah that's true, he gave the same advice to Ribery cuz barca is after him

Mendes
July 06, 2009, 03:45 PM
I heard Real is going to pay 17M@ PLUS Sneijder PLUS ROBBEN! omg... robben in good form (i mean, non-injured) is, imo, better than Ribery in his most inspirational days... Really, that's a great deal for Bayern.

Lohnt, Porto just hired the Argentinian Belluschi from Olympiakos. His name sounds familiar to me, but I don't think I ever saw him play. Is he good?

Lohnt
July 06, 2009, 05:08 PM
I was going to comment on him.

Look in Argentina he was one of the biggest stars, Juve were interested in him, and various teams in Germany.
In general, in Greece, he did nothing. I would say he was the most unsuccessful transfer of the last 5 years (at least).

He has a lot of strong points though, he has very strong shooting skills, when Oly played Chelsea, he had an amazing shot that Cech didn't block but it hit the top of the goalpost and shook it with a sound effect for at least 30 seconds.
On the other hand, he's not much of a scorer. He's also not as technical at passing , like Galletti or Leto were.

At best, he can play behind Hulk, and hope that he chances the ball the right way when Lisandro/Hulk miss and distract the goalie. But honestly, a player like Diego are far better at those roles.
Honestly, I hope he prospers in Porto, he couldn't do much in the tight defenses of Greece, but maybe with the creativity in Portuguese football, his strength and dribbling skills ma allow him to help your club out.

At least you got him at a good price =)

Mendes
July 06, 2009, 06:44 PM
I was going to comment on him.

Look in Argentina he was one of the biggest stars, Juve were interested in him, and various teams in Germany.
In general, in Greece, he did nothing. I would say he was the most unsuccessful transfer of the last 5 years (at least).

He has a lot of strong points though, he has very strong shooting skills, when Oly played Chelsea, he had an amazing shot that Cech didn't block but it hit the top of the goalpost and shook it with a sound effect for at least 30 seconds.
On the other hand, he's not much of a scorer. He's also not as technical at passing , like Galletti or Leto were.

At best, he can play behind Hulk, and hope that he chances the ball the right way when Lisandro/Hulk miss and distract the goalie. But honestly, a player like Diego are far better at those roles.
Honestly, I hope he prospers in Porto, he couldn't do much in the tight defenses of Greece, but maybe with the creativity in Portuguese football, his strength and dribbling skills ma allow him to help your club out.

At least you got him at a good price =)

We'll see... He's supposed to fill for Lucho Gonzalez, which was one of our best players. Its frustrating when we are the best seller in the last 10 years, and this year is no exception, but we can't even buy a good player using more money. Instead we buy about 8 players for lower prices, but we end up loaning most...

Lohnt
July 07, 2009, 06:27 AM
Yea, a lot of teams do that here as well, that's a terrible strategy.

Anyway, I just read on UEFA you're selling Lisandro to Olympique Lyonnais.. were you unsatisfied with last year's UEFA campaign? Does your club only care about winning Liga?

blai
July 07, 2009, 06:41 AM
Arbeloa and Alonso are going to RM? Just notice it on ftl that they are rumoured to get transferred to RM... I sooo want Alonso to stay in LP! But 5m for Arbeloa is pretty okay i guess... I wouldn't mind Negredo and Silva though from RM / Val but i guess that are the sacrifices you have to make. Also seen a lot of rumours of Mascherano going on lately to Barca wasn't it? Hmm, we'll see...

Mendes
July 07, 2009, 07:11 PM
Yea, a lot of teams do that here as well, that's a terrible strategy.

Anyway, I just read on UEFA you're selling Lisandro to Olympique Lyonnais.. were you unsatisfied with last year's UEFA campaign? Does your club only care about winning Liga?

Yes Lisandro is confirmed in Lyon. The thing is our transfer policy. I don't like our leadership (alright I'll say it, I think our chairman robs the club...) and the way of the club is just like every year. When we won the Champions League almost every player was sold for huge amounts. Every year we sell and sell good. Then we hire lots of players for low cost, and eventually, 1 or 2 years later, some of them are set to leave for this huge amounts.

I'd like a more ambitious project for once. Try to invest the money won on the players sells and sport success in quality players who are already a won investment instead of playing the gamble on some may-be-wonderkid-or-not.

Epul
July 08, 2009, 11:02 AM
With the failure of signing Benzema, Manchester United are now pursuing Huntelaar... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one..... I hope united will sign him.

goldb
July 08, 2009, 11:28 AM
They've just signed Gabriel Obertan from Bordeaux, dunno too much about him though...and in continuing with the Ribery saga, Bayern have confirmed that they rejected a high bid for him, who do you think it is?

Epul
July 08, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I haven't heard much of Obertan either... just hope he's the scholes(when he was in his prime of course) kind of player... cause Anderson don't even come close to scholes.... XD

For the ribery bid, I think it is obviously real madrid.... but I won't be surprised if the bidder is Manchester United though, they do have the money for it.... ^^

Black Lagoon
July 09, 2009, 07:16 AM
it's true that Eto signed for 2 years more with Barca?

SparkHunter13
July 09, 2009, 01:55 PM
it's true that Eto signed for 2 years more with Barca?
He's yet to sign, as far as I know. Man City are interested... he'd be mad (unable to resist the ridiculously huge salary) to leave Barca for City, though.

Anyway, David Villa. Barca have bid somewhere in the region of €40 million for him, apparently.

blai
July 09, 2009, 02:27 PM
He's yet to sign, as far as I know.

But isn't he closer to staying than to get transferred? Last thing I heard he wanted to stay if the contract was good enough or something like that

goldb
July 09, 2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah same, but from Juan Laporta; the Barca president is saying, it seems Eto'o's agent is giving him bad advice, as he(Laporta) thinks the contract offere they gave is more than good enough for him to agree ans sign.

SparkHunter13
July 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
@ Blai & goldb:

Well, now they're saying Eto'o is about to leave the Camp Nou: [CLICK (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/5794582/Samuel-Etoo-leaving-Barcelona-says-Spanish-media.html)]. City are offering to double his £100,000-a-week wage, making him the world's best-paid player.

Yep, another crazy money transfer.

Black Lagoon
July 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
and they say there's a crisis

L0ki
July 13, 2009, 03:37 PM
Lohnt, Porto just hired the Argentinian Belluschi from Olympiakos. His name sounds familiar to me, but I don't think I ever saw him play. Is he good?

Not really. But if it's to replace the freezer made man known as LG, he'll do just fine.

krid77
July 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
They've just signed Gabriel Obertan from Bordeaux, dunno too much about him though...
He is in the French young squad. He often played Winger, he's very technical (as provocative as Cr. Ronaldo) and has a good acceleration but he is not very efficient and lacked playtime in Bordeaux (though he was on loan during the second part of the season).

Tevez moves to City, I read United was going to offer £25 million to transfer him...guess it was too late (plus they already sign Owen...).

L0ki
July 14, 2009, 02:17 AM
So Carlitos went to where the money is eh? That's a shocker. And he suposedly had offers from Inter and Real Madrid. I can't see why anyone would be interested in a forward whose main virtue is "guts".

SparkHunter13
July 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
So Carlitos went to where the money is eh? That's a shocker. And he suposedly had offers from Inter and Real Madrid. I can't see why anyone would be interested in a forward whose main virtue is "guts".
"Carlitos"? Are we still talking about Tevez here? And clubs want to sign him because he's a very talented, hardworking player, worthy of a place in any squad.

Even though Inter and Real were interested, it's first team football that Tevez desires most. He was often a victim of squad rotation at United, he knows he'll start more games with City and earn a much higher wage than he otherwise would have at Inter or Real. So, despite the lack of Champions League football, I think he's made the right choice.

And who's next for City? Emmanuel Adebayor is the answer.

L0ki
July 14, 2009, 02:49 PM
clubs want to sign him because he's a very talented, hardworking player, worthy of a place in any squad.

A striker who can't score isn't worthy of a place in any squad, and that's the case with Tevez playing for his national team. Hell, I think even in West Ham they had to wait for him like a year before he started scoring. But then again, maybe his hardworking attitude will be useful for a small team like Man City.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
Tevez isn't even guranteed first team football though, there's only two places and city have bellamy, cruz and soon to be Adebayor, benjani if fit as well.

Mendes
July 15, 2009, 07:41 AM
Its a matter of opinion, but I think Tevez is the only one of those who's 1st team football is assured. I guess we'll see.

Porto hired Falcão, a colombian striker with some interest on Europe.
Valeri is also a possibility (although I really don't know this one...) and Cissokho has another 15M€ offer from Lyon.
Dos anyone know Falcão (not the futsal genius :P) and Valeri?

Metal D. Reaper
July 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
No sorry never heard from that player but on the policy of Porto I think that it is really the only club of portugal who never had any economic difficulties not like Sporting and Benfica or other less popular clubs (setubal braga amadora boa vista) and so on.
But on the other hand Porto only takes less known players put them on the international scenes work them a little with some portugees technical football and some high season matches and then sell them because they have the talent.That pisses me off.
Why doens't Porto do like Sporting who picks player train them from kids to superstars and them sell them not for high prices but for High clubs where the player will envolve into the best players of the moment (Figo Cr. Ronaldo and Nani).Also Sporting which I support has a coach who sucks and doens't have the qualities of being a coach on the international scene.

btw===> Im portugees to (LONG LIVE SPORTING )

L0ki
July 15, 2009, 10:58 AM
Its a matter of opinion, but I think Tevez is the only one of those who's 1st team football is assured. I guess we'll see.

Porto hired Falcão, a colombian striker with some interest on Europe.
Valeri is also a possibility (although I really don't know this one...) and Cissokho has another 15M€ offer from Lyon.
Dos anyone know Falcão (not the futsal genius :P) and Valeri?

Falcao plays for River (Argentina), and Valeri for Lanús, also in Argentina. I don't like Falcao, he's another Tevez kind of player, a striker who doesn't score much. And Valeri is a right midfielder; he used to be pretty good, but after a series of injuries I haven't seen him perform consistenly well. If Porto is after Lanús players, I'm surprised they haven't tried to sign Blanco. He's a really good offensive midfielder, even played a couple of matches for the national team.

Mendes
July 19, 2009, 05:37 PM
No sorry never heard from that player but on the policy of Porto I think that it is really the only club of portugal who never had any economic difficulties not like Sporting and Benfica or other less popular clubs (setubal braga amadora boa vista) and so on.
But on the other hand Porto only takes less known players put them on the international scenes work them a little with some portugees technical football and some high season matches and then sell them because they have the talent.That pisses me off.
Why doens't Porto do like Sporting who picks player train them from kids to superstars and them sell them not for high prices but for High clubs where the player will envolve into the best players of the moment (Figo Cr. Ronaldo and Nani).Also Sporting which I support has a coach who sucks and doens't have the qualities of being a coach on the international scene.

btw===> Im portugees to (LONG LIVE SPORTING )

I thought every Sporting fan loved their coach Paulo Bento... some treat him as a god because of his popular press conferences. Anyway, I don't think he's ready to be a 1st team coach.

About Porto's transfer policy, its better than Sporting's whether you like it or not. As you said, the fact that Porto's the only club not facing economy trouble in Portugal is because of that policy and its success.
As you mentioned, Porto buys unknown players with some talent and makes them better and far more expensive. Sporting keeps selling their greatest academy products for too low prices and as soon as they walk away, they become better trained and world class players. Just wait and see Moutinho go to Real Madrid for even less than his release clause of 20M€ and next year he'll be one of the world's best players :P
[hr]

Falcao plays for River (Argentina), and Valeri for Lanús, also in Argentina. I don't like Falcao, he's another Tevez kind of player, a striker who doesn't score much. And Valeri is a right midfielder; he used to be pretty good, but after a series of injuries I haven't seen him perform consistenly well. If Porto is after Lanús players, I'm surprised they haven't tried to sign Blanco. He's a really good offensive midfielder, even played a couple of matches for the national team.

I dunno, Lisandro Lopez was also the kind of player Tevez is and after a 1st season where he rarely scored, he adapted to our league and became a great goal scorer. I like our coach Jesualdo Ferreira's training methods. He seems to take the best of the players out and I really hope Falcao can replace Lisandro in the long run. Valeri and Belluschi are supposed to fill in for Lucho Gonzalez, and for what I heard here they both are in bad shape, but the quality's there.
[hr]
Jonathan Pereira (7), Joseba Llorente (4), Marcos Ruben (4), Escudero (3), Pires (2), Fuster (2), Montero (2), Marcos (1), Cani (1) e Matilla (1).

This is the number of goals scored each in... 1 match. Vilarreal won 27(!!!) - 0 against a 3rd division team... omg!

L0ki
July 19, 2009, 05:50 PM
45 million + Eto'o + Hleb loan = Ibrahimovic?

I dunno, I like Ibra's style and all, but it seems a bit too much.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 20, 2009, 06:00 PM
Owen two goals in two matches, can easily score more goals than Tevez. Also I don't like how Tevez is bad mouthing Fergie, Ferguson is loved by the fans greater than Tevez was. He's a legend.

Epul
July 21, 2009, 07:44 AM
I went to watch both man utd game against Malaysia. It was awesome!!! The ticket was not cheap mind you but it was well worth it! Owen looked really good in that game and not to mention Macheda. I think Macheda will be the next rooney......

Mendes
July 21, 2009, 07:45 AM
Benzema is starting to pay off... I don´t like him, but that was a show! 1 shot to the post, 1 amazing acrobatic shot to the upper corner (defended) and 1 great goal. Spanish league will be on fire next season with this Real and with Barça with Ibra.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 21, 2009, 08:08 AM
Macheda if all goes well should be a Utd star in the future, he's still 17/18 yet he's very tall and pacey. I think he'll be the future Italian striker as well.

Epul
July 21, 2009, 08:17 AM
Let's just hope when he does become a star, Real Madrid does not steal him from Man Utd.....

Lohnt
July 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
Benzema is worth all the money, I was extremely satisfied with his attacks when Barca played Lyon, and now on this Real Madrid, he will definitely win a golden shoe or 2 within the next 6 years.

As for Ibra.. yes he's worth it all. My gooooooood. Ch. League winner Barca with Messi, Ibra and Henry? Are you nuts? This is fantasy football + cheats.
Honestly.. my god, it seems like the only way Barca could have gotten better is with an Ibra/Torres and now they have him.
All they need now is Fabregas and I would freeze this squad as the greatest in history. Does Spain host All-star games? If they have one I would die to watch it.

As for Manchester City, I give them credit for their balls, but they're going to need far better coaching.. and maybe a couple more world-class defenders. But rather than going after big names, I would go to strong defensive countries like the balkans and get unknown cheap (over 10 mill) defenders from there. Maybe the brothers Toure as well..

Mendes
July 21, 2009, 08:30 PM
Its not like Ibra isnt worth the 40M€, is that he may not reveal as worth as Eto'o. Honestly it'll be very tough for Zlatan to fill in the role of Eto'o in Barça. And I'm a Ibrahimagic maniac

L0ki
July 22, 2009, 01:11 AM
I think it will be tougher for Eto'o in Inter, at least the first year. The italian defenses are in general more solid.

predsfan
July 22, 2009, 03:40 AM
Is Ibra to Barca a done deal, is it still up in the air, or are they just waiting to make it official? He was playing with Inter last night against Chelsea over here in America. I wasn't expecting to see him, but he came in the second half.

Renji88
July 22, 2009, 09:07 AM
Is Ibra to Barca a done deal, is it still up in the air, or are they just waiting to make it official? He was playing with Inter last night against Chelsea over here in America. I wasn't expecting to see him, but he came in the second half.

zlatan will be a barca player, the deal is nearly done

Laporta said that even if Eto'o won't go to Inter, he will pay 75.ooo.ooo for Ibra

goldb
July 22, 2009, 09:26 AM

Laporta said that even if Eto'o won't go to Inter, he will pay 75.ooo.ooo for Ibra

Wow, he's looking to get rid of him at any cost. I think they don't only wanna bring in a talented player but one who's also marketable. and maybe they feel Eto'o isn't as marketable as Ibra. but I dunno who got the better end of the deal; inter or barca?

Mendes
July 22, 2009, 09:35 AM
As I said I'm a Zlatan fan, but Inter certainly got the better end of the deal imo. We can't forget Eto'o is also one of the world's best players and a natural striker, which is just what Inter needed (they have Julio Cruz and Milito, but they're not world class level). As for Barça, they loose a player that granted them so many goals so many seasons even tough there's another superstar incoming.
If the trade was just Eto'o for Zlatan, I think it'd be fair. With 40M€ more to Inter and Hleb loan I think its way too much.
Still, I think both of them are assured guarantees for any team.

Renji88
July 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
Wow, he's looking to get rid of him at any cost. I think they don't only wanna bring in a talented player but one who's also marketable. and maybe they feel Eto'o isn't as marketable as Ibra. but I dunno who got the better end of the deal; inter or barca?

I think Barca

ibra earns 12.ooo.ooo per year
eto'o wants 11.ooo.ooo (+ bonus money from barca for his leaving)

they earn nearly the same but ibra is more marketable for the club, in my opinion

btw they're both great players

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 22, 2009, 01:01 PM
Do you think EPL will still be successful in CL?

L0ki
July 22, 2009, 09:48 PM

Wasn't Laporta saying that spending 80 million on a player is obscene a few days ago, refering to Real Madrid's spending spree? =/

Renji88
July 23, 2009, 04:14 AM
Wasn't Laporta saying that spending 80 million on a player is obscene a few days ago, refering to Real Madrid's spending spree? =/

lol we're in the middle of a media fight between barca and real xD

Laporta said that, and then the magazine AS (real madrid) said that buying a player for 75.ooo.ooo (referring to ibra) is absolutely crazy... when they spend 93 for ronaldo + 70 for kaka + 40 for benzema :facepalm

I think that Barca will spend that 75 millions (today should be official for ibra) not only because ibra is a good player... they also must stay in the same level as Real (speaking of spending money)

barca will be happy, supporters will be happy and the rivalry with real madrid will never end :tem

I'd say yes, it's possible because you have very strong teams.

Black Lagoon
July 23, 2009, 04:59 AM
Eto is almost with the inter now, 10 million per year till 2014

Epul
July 23, 2009, 07:28 AM
Just read that Man City are ready to pay John Terry 250,000 pound a week/ 1million pound a month for terry... that is a hell lots of money!!! I can't believe a club is really willing to pay that kind of money.... things are getting out of hand now.....

Renji88
July 23, 2009, 08:06 AM
The deal is finally done

Eto'o ---> Inter --> 1o.5oo.ooo per year

blai
July 23, 2009, 08:33 AM
10.5/year until 2014... not bad...

Is the ibra-affair done yet?

Renji88
July 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

it's only a matter of hours

ibra couldn't go to barca because of eto'o, but now that inter finally bought him, the road to barca is open

Mendes
July 23, 2009, 10:08 AM
lol we're in the middle of a media fight between barca and real xD

Laporta said that, and then the magazine AS (real madrid) said that buying a player for 75.ooo.ooo (referring to ibra) is absolutely crazy... when they spend 93 for ronaldo + 70 for kaka + 40 for benzema :facepalm

I think that Barca will spend that 75 millions (today should be official for ibra) not only because ibra is a good player... they also must stay in the same level as Real (speaking of spending money)

barca will be happy, supporters will be happy and the rivalry with real madrid will never end :tem

I agree. The commercial rivalry is as great as the sports rivalry between Barça and R.Madrid. Not spendind over 100M€ in this transfer market would be a shame for Barça, even if they ended up winning every competition...

I think so. The english teams have proven to be on a superior level in Europe on the last seasons and I don't think it'll change just because Barça won it last season and Real bought the world. Last season we still had 3 English teams on the last 4.

L0ki
July 24, 2009, 05:46 PM
I agree. The commercial rivalry is as great as the sports rivalry between Barça and R.Madrid. Not spendind over 100M€ in this transfer market would be a shame for Barça, even if they ended up winning every competition...

Not really. Barsa doesn't spend over 50 million on a single player every season, but Real Madrid do. They rely more on their young players.

Mendes
July 24, 2009, 07:07 PM
They are more careful than Real on their transfers, but they got provoked by their rivals before the start of the sport season. Laporta has contradicted himself many times this transfer market

L0ki
July 25, 2009, 12:58 PM
In any case, Real Madrid still looks weak in all the other lines compared to Barcelona. Gago and Diarra are a joke next to Xavi and Iniesta and RM doesn't have any full backs with a level even close to Dani Alves. Although Casillas is clearly superior to Valdés, if their defense sucks it's not going to make that much of a difference.

Saintz0r
July 25, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ronaldinho Gaucho is showing some signs that he could go back to the player he was in 2005. He made an awesome match against America, and I heard he was good against Chelsea too ( couldn't see the game :/ ).
Even more impressive than the passes he was throwing is that he actually sweated @@ I can't remeber the last time I saw that :XD

I'm really forward to seeing Ibra in Barça, that's another chance for him to finally shine in a CL

L0ki
July 25, 2009, 01:39 PM
Ah, yeah, remember when Ronalndinho was good?

Lelo
July 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
i got to see Ronaldinho play inthe AC milan vs Galaxy game here in Los Angeles, it was a sick game and it was my first football game. I wish I got to see AC Milan or Inter face Chelsea here at the Rose Bowl. But Im definetly goin to the Barcelona vs Galaxy game on August 1 at the Rose Bowl.

Black Lagoon
July 25, 2009, 04:57 PM

NOT BAD ... NOT BAD :rant WTF!! (:p)
he's the highest paid player now

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 25, 2009, 07:28 PM
Bad deal for Inter as Eto will be missing for African Nations I think.

Mendes
July 26, 2009, 06:25 AM
Its only a month, they can make it without him that time of the season. With CL starting after the CAN and the number of competitions in Italy being less than in England I guess they'll do good. The deal itself is awesome no matter how I look at it... Eto'o is more a goalscorer than Ibra and, as Mourinho mentioned, its a 100€ deal. 50M€ plus a 50M€ player and a loaned player

Black Lagoon
July 26, 2009, 08:04 AM
agree, Eto is more goalscorer than Ibra, but Calcio have a great defense

Renji88
July 26, 2009, 08:59 AM
NOT BAD ... NOT BAD :rant WTF!! (:p)
he's the highest paid player now

ibra and c.ronaldo = 12.ooo.ooo :p
their monthly pay is 1.ooo.ooo €
(and we don't consider their sponsor) :facepalm

I think I'll never see a million even in my entire life :oh

Black Lagoon
July 26, 2009, 09:22 AM
ibra and c.ronaldo = 12.ooo.ooo :p
their monthly pay is 1.ooo.ooo €
(and we don't consider their sponsor) :facepalm

I think I'll never see a million even in my entire life :oh

WTF!! I thought Ronaldo have 9.???.???

what a soccer player gain is ridiculously exaggerated

Renji88
July 26, 2009, 09:48 AM
WTF!! I thought Ronaldo have 9.???.???

what a soccer player gain is ridiculously exaggerated

ronaldinho (in his golden ages) was payed 25.ooo.ooo per year (club + sponsor)

Mourinho gets 9.ooo.ooo in inter and with his sponsor he reaches even 14.ooo.ooo (he said this numbers in tv)
...and he is not even a player :oh

Mendes
July 26, 2009, 09:49 AM
But still, the highest paid athletes are in the North American sports. NBA, golf, baseball and american football have the top rich athletes according to a rank (which included sponsor and title earnings)

L0ki
July 26, 2009, 01:08 PM
Still, the tax on those wages must be brutal. I hear that in England is about 50%.

Renji88
July 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
Still, the tax on those wages must be brutal. I hear that in England is about 50%.

yeah that's true

but ibra has not this problem anymore, in spain there's a different tax system
they earn more than the other players in europe

(I heard that on SkySport when they talked about tax system in european football)

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 26, 2009, 07:41 PM
Man Utd 8-2 Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMIU4ItXGh0

WATCH IT! Great goals and skills!

Renji88
July 29, 2009, 04:03 AM
I can't wait for friday, juventus vs real madrid

great vid :thumbs

Mendes
July 29, 2009, 02:56 PM
Kolo Touré is Man City's 6th income transfer this season. They may be a mid table team, but I actually find in their reinforcements great quality and no crazy transfer like Madrid and Barça. Every sector was reinforced, even tough many transfers in the same season might not work so well. But this time I believe they're doing the same Chelsea did when Abramovic joined them.

Touré is an excellent center back and I don't know why Arsenal keep selling their good players like they were a lower team. I just can't believe they're one of the richest clubs in the world with so much lack of ambition

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Man Utd 2-1 Boca Juniors
Bayern 4-1 Milan

~So it's Utd vs Bayern in the final, and Boca vs Milan for 3rd place tomorrow ~

Mendes
July 29, 2009, 06:37 PM
And Anderson scored his 1st goal for MU, after 2 seasons, and its still not in an official match. It was a superb goal though.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 29, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah but I hope it gives him confidence to shoot more, and we know he can take free kicks now, and since Ronaldo's gone he'll have more opportunities.

Black Lagoon
July 30, 2009, 09:26 AM
I can't wait for friday, juventus vs real madrid

great vid :thumbs

this friday, oh can't wait ^^ Juventus ... Juventus ... Juventus

Lelo
July 30, 2009, 01:08 PM
Bad deal for Inter as Eto will be missing for African Nations I think.

eto'o has better players who create sick plays with their accurate passing. Ibra doesnt have that
[hr]

wow those goals were awesome. Berbatovs passing was top notch

Black Lagoon
July 31, 2009, 03:29 PM
the match is about to start (Juve vs Mad)

Renji88
July 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
the match is about to start (Juve vs Mad)

1st half
juventus - real madrid (1-1)

- cannavaro
- ronaldo (penalty)

blai
July 31, 2009, 04:28 PM
Juve'll take this :wtf

Renji88
July 31, 2009, 05:35 PM
Juve'll take this :wtf

Juventus - Real Madrid (2-1)

cannavaro, salihamidzic
ronaldo (penalty)

Peace Cup Final --> Juventus vs Aston Villa

blai
July 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
o/

Juve will take that one too!!

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 31, 2009, 06:51 PM
Ronaldo needs to score more than penalties.

Mendes
July 31, 2009, 09:31 PM
Ronaldo needs to score more than penalties.

That's what Real's supporters must think, but that'll put too much pressure on him. If things don't go well, he can't take his spot in the 1st 11 for granted just coz he was paid for 94M€. If the coach Pellegrini ends up building a team with the price of the players 1st of their shape, Real is as good as dead imo

ibra87
August 01, 2009, 07:39 PM
o/

Juve will take that one too!!

Another Juve fan? I thought the day where I see another one would never come *high five*

And I agree that we shouldn't expect much of Ronaldo, but it can't be helped. If they paid that much for him they have to be absolutely sure he's going to be a key player which he wasnt. (Not that it can be helped against the golden boy anyway)

blai
August 01, 2009, 07:46 PM
You're not the only one ibra!

Tho, in PL it's the reds (Liverpool) all the way!

Renji88
August 02, 2009, 09:49 AM
Another Juve fan? I thought the day where I see another one would never come *high five*

I'm a juve supporter too :amuse

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
Italian teams and Serie A are in decline. AC Milan, Inter, Juve, they just aren't as dangerous in Europe anymore. EPL and Liga offer greater football, leading to greater attraction of the best footballers.

Renji88
August 02, 2009, 11:12 AM
Italian teams and Serie A are in decline. AC Milan, Inter, Juve, they just aren't as dangerous in Europe anymore. EPL and Liga offer greater football, leading to greater attraction of the best footballers.

I think footballers are more attracted by money :tem

these past years there were a lot of problems in italy. In 2oo6 our best teams were punished (except for inter, because they were the responsible for this "calciopoli")

juventus was sent in the hell of Serie B and lost a lot of his best players (Ibrahimovic, Vieira, Cannavaro ecc.) and most of all, lost a lot of money.
roma wasn't allowed to buy players for a year
milan survived, and won the champions league + world cup for clubs.
now they have old players and they have money problems too, in fact they sold kaka and pirlo (and only bought Onyewu)

EPL and Liga surely offer great football (I always see EPL and Liga, cause I'm a football fanatic and I like to see good football matches)
but to tell the truth, in italy there wasn't great football to see even the past years.. Never :tem

we are more physical and tactical (italian coaches are wanted all over europe, especially EPL) and it's difficult to see good football in Serie A

in italy there is only one rule.. win
if you play a really bad match, but you win at the last second... you're a hero
if you play good, but you lose... you are trash

I know, that sucks...:facepalm

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 02, 2009, 12:20 PM
It's not like Milan don't have money, the problem is the people in charge of the club don't want to spend the money they get and keep it for themselves and deny that Milan need to buy new young fresh players.

Though Juve looked good against Madrid, then again Madrid exactly aren't a great team yet. If I was a betting man it would be Juve and Inter doing well in the CL than Milan or Roma.

Renji88
August 02, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's not like Milan don't have money, the problem is the people in charge of the club don't want to spend the money they get and keep it for themselves and deny that Milan need to buy new young fresh players.

milan president (berlusconi) is also our current italian premier, so he gave milan a lower budget than usual this year

If I was a betting man it would be Juve and Inter doing well in the CL than Milan or Roma.

I agree
but Roma is not in CL this year :tem we have Fiorentina (florence team) instead :amuse

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 02, 2009, 03:38 PM
Ah, didn't know that, it would be interesting to see how Italian clubs fair next season in the CL, IMO they're in decline, and I think next season we'll see the peak of it before the recovery and then comeback.

La liga might not do as well as people expect in the CL, since apart from Barcelona and Real you don't see any real challengers, and even then we're assuming the Galacticos are going to gel and be a success unlike last time.

Mendes
August 02, 2009, 04:52 PM
I like Fiorentina. They made a pretty good team and they're gradually getting bigger. Its nice to see that specially because they had a monster team, years before they go bankrupt

Renji88
August 03, 2009, 04:05 AM
I like Fiorentina. They made a pretty good team and they're gradually getting bigger. Its nice to see that specially because they had a monster team, years before they go bankrupt

that time they had Manuel Rui Costa, great player

Mendes
August 05, 2009, 02:29 PM
that time they had Manuel Rui Costa, great player

An idol of mine, but they had Batigol as well, Toldo, di Livio, Morfeo, Chiesa and very good less known players in every position.
[hr]
Xabi Alonso finally went to Real. Benzema goes next season since he has only 2 years left on his contract. Bayern lost a superb chance to sell him for a monster price. Sneijder goes to Inter on loan, and van der Vaart will be the next to leave.

Real's on fire. This may go terribly well, or terribly wrong. The fact that some of their players already have an assured position in the 11 because of their price and name may be their downfall.

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 05, 2009, 05:23 PM
Their pre-season friendlies haven't been that great for Real.

ikcud
August 06, 2009, 08:58 AM
Seeing the depth in the Real squad just amazes me still. But we have to see if it works well together. I still love my gunners.

L0ki
August 06, 2009, 03:30 PM
milan president (berlusconi) is also our current italian premier, so he gave milan a lower budget than usual this year

Hasn't he had enough orgies this year? You gotta admire the man's stamina.

Mendes
August 08, 2009, 09:10 AM
Just watched Italy's Supercup. Inter lost 2-1 to Lazio but they were extremely unlucky. Inter's game was just amazing. I never expected them to look this good with a renewed attack. In some times they looked like Barça with such dynamic. Lazio scored a lucky goal and then a superb goal. Eto'o shot a missile inside Lazio's goal.

L0ki
August 08, 2009, 09:57 PM
That's what you get when you put Milito on the attack.

Mendes
August 09, 2009, 11:09 AM
That's what you get when you put Milito on the attack.

He's Inter's top goalscorer in the pre-season :P
You're not the only south american who says Milito sucks... he must have done some pretty amazing misses in Argentina, but in Italy he's been one of the best goalscorers.

English and Portuguese Supercup today! Man U vs Chelsea. MU will take this easily imo. Porto's got the portuguese supercup in 1 hand, with the challenger being Paços de Ferreira.
[hr]
I guess I was wrong, Chelsea actually won on penalties. I don't like their new slow paced style of game conducted by Ancelotti. And their 2nd goal was dirty

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 09, 2009, 02:42 PM
Nani will probably be out for a few months, some kind of shoulder injury.

L0ki
August 09, 2009, 04:38 PM
I liked the Ballack-Evra duel, I thought they were going to beat the crap out of each other at the end of the match.

ikcud
August 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
I've never liked that guy. The guy always play dirty.

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
LOL good news, Nani hasn't ruled out playing for Portugal on Wednesday so not a long term injury.

Mendes
August 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, it seems like he actually enjoys playing for Portugal. He could have run off woth that injury. Not like that ass Ronaldo (he looks Usopp with his typical just-before-playing-for-Portugal-injury)! A flu he says... poor soul.

Saintz0r
August 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Kleberson injured himself playing for Brasil and will only get back to the field by the end of the year. That reduces our chances of winning the brazilian championship, even though we still have the top scorer, aka Adriano :XD
About the Brasil x Estonia game... give me back two hours of my life! :p

Btw, wth happened in that Everton x Arsenal match? Truly awesome xD
Man. City had 10 impressive minutes and after that they were reduced to defending and trying to find Adebayor in the attack, didn't like much the game, but I guess they could give some trouble to the other teams

krid77
August 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Denilson's opener for Arsenal was splendid but the other goals...it's like the Toffees let the Gunners score: on Vermaelen's and Gallas' goals -> no marking ; Fabregas scored the 6th after crossing 40/50 meters with the ball and no one was attacking him xD
Big schedule next weeks for Arsenal: Celtic (away and home), Portsmouth, Man U and Man City...

Koen
August 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well, I am quite curious about Vermaelen. How did he play? What's his impression towards you?

ikcud
August 17, 2009, 08:59 AM
He can't fill Toure shoes, but I think he has a future. I pick him over that woeful guy that came back from Inter haha

Imperium
August 18, 2009, 11:45 AM
^ What woeful guy that came back from inter? :s

I swear while on holiday i cut myself off from the internet and news. No football news for like a month (i watched the england-holland match...and thats it), time to update myself *begins re-reading thread* :p

Well, I am quite curious about Vermaelen. How did he play? What's his impression towards you?

Well he did have a good game but it will take more games to get a better impression. Out defensive problems last season stemmed from a lack of attacking high balls, lack of cover from midfield, and a general lack of concentration and aggression. We still have a lack of cover from midfield and we just have to wait and see about the concentration issue. Now Vermaelen is not the tallest but so far i would say he is an improvement on toure in that regard. He can jump and is very aggresive in the tackle. He can play the ball and is left footed (hurray) which means there is some balance in defence. But other than that, and more importantly finding out if he is any good would have to wait for a match were we are playing a team that has bothered in turning up.

Lohnt
August 25, 2009, 05:39 PM
I sooooo envy Argentina, Messi, Aguero, Lisandro, accept no exceptions.

Back from vacation, back to work, and loving every minute of the new football season.

thsv
August 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
Well the English season is 3 matches old, Tottenham are on their best start for 49 years (Yes it's been that long since we won 3 games in a row at the start of the season). The longer this goes on the more spectacular the crash.

And last night saw a return to the bad old days for English football. It was always going to end badly considering those idiots had two weeks to plan this. Plus there seems to be an inability in England to prohibit alcohol sales within the vicinity of football grounds for contentious matches (I was at an Tottenham/Arsenal game in 2004 on a Sunday. My friend and I got to the pub at noon and it was already packed out for a game that kicked off at 4pm). Several of my colleges at work went to the game and they said the pubs and bars were already full at 1pm (The game was scheduled for 8pm)

L0ki
August 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
I sooooo envy Argentina, Messi, Aguero, Lisandro, accept no exceptions.

Back from vacation, back to work, and loving every minute of the new football season.

I have yet to see them put on a decent team performance, though. Having great players doesn't mean you have a great team. And with Maradona on the bench I'd say the chances of seeing it are very slim.

Mendes
August 27, 2009, 07:23 PM
CL draws were today. Sevilla's group is probably the weakest group in CL since I can remember.
Porto's in a very tough group, with Atletico Madrid and Chelsea, along with a newcomer Cyprus team I don't know. We have chances as long as we outplay Atletico like in last season.

It'll be nice to see Kaka playing against Milan, and Zlatan against Inter.

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 28, 2009, 05:18 PM
Apart from Chelsea, the British got pretty easy draws though Utd will have to do some travelling. :(

goldb
August 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
There's no reason for any slip ups in the group stages for the English sides, except for Chelsea maybe... I'm hoping to go see the Standard Liege vs Arsenal game when they play in Belgium...

Saintz0r
August 28, 2009, 10:51 PM
1- Vermaelen is pretty good imo, but he seems like the type of defender who'll get a lot of cards, he gave some dangerous tackles in that Celtic x Arsenal

2- I don't envy Argentina, they'll get owned next saturday :XD

3- We'll have some interesting matches in the groups of CL, Inter x Barça being my favorite :p

Imperium
August 30, 2009, 12:11 AM
The united-arsenal game. Complete and utter piss take from both sides. We outplay them, get denied a clear penalty, hit the bar...arrgh. So annoying. Besides the fact that we outplayed them, they were also damn lucky which brings me to my point that on paper and on the pitch...united are average. Fletcher is rubbish, the only reason he didnt get sent off today was because mike dean bleeds red. Carrick was anonymous, giggs had a good second half but he's 36 he cannot always play. Valencia is average while nani will never be a cristiano ronaldo, or in fact anything near that imo. If Ferguson manages to win the league with that lot, it will be one of the biggest achievement of his career. Btw, we also had cesc and nasri out. If they played we would have definitely have been even more dangerous attacking wise (i.e. no diaby n eboue). I just cant wait until we play these ***** at the emirates. :mad

[/rant over]

In other news, milan were bent over by inter. While real madrid scored 3 but conceded two (same old?)

1- Vermaelen is pretty good imo, but he seems like the type of defender who'll get a lot of cards, he gave some dangerous tackles in that Celtic x Arsenal He's the a-la vidic/terry mould. In the continent he'll probably will get a lot of cards, but here he is probably going to get a pat on the back and good job for getting "stuck in".
[hr]
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alCKThGVCu4) is going around, apparently showing rooney dives before contact is made (around 17sec). I demand two games. -_-;

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
Fletcher rubbish? He was the best player on the pitch yesterday, he's been the most consistent for us for a while now. :lmao

thsv
August 30, 2009, 06:42 PM
The united-arsenal game. Complete and utter piss take from both sides. We outplay them, get denied a clear penalty, Yeah you scored almost immediately from the ball leaving the area so it didn't really affect the result that much. Hell you might have missed the penalty. And the Rooney incident was ruined by the fact Almunia came out for the ball. Because you're right he was going down before Almunia clattered into him.

Besides the fact that we outplayed them, they were also damn lucky which brings me to my point that on paper and on the pitch...united are average.
Well we've got them after the international break. It'll be interesting to see how far we've really come considering we almost reverted to traditional against Birmingham on Saturday.

Koen
August 31, 2009, 06:36 AM
There's no reason for any slip ups in the group stages for the English sides, except for Chelsea maybe... I'm hoping to go see the Standard Liege vs Arsenal game when they play in Belgium...

Watch out with standard de liege... they are a dirty team

Check this out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OapMvlhZOQ) -> it's french but images are quite horrible if you look the player's leg (in the 21th sec you can see he can touch his knee with the end of his foot of the same leg). Kinda reminds me of nillis' awfull collision in his short aston villa period

This weekend's game was really dirty and very agressive

btw, how did vermaelen play against man u. The match summary of match of the day didn't tell me anything

goldb
August 31, 2009, 07:21 AM
Yeah it's all good I speak french, my family lives there. there's always a party when Standard win the league.

JESUS CHRIST!!!!! he went haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardd on that player boi! i left so sick. I kept pausing it after every second to get a better view.

I didn't watch the Man U vs Arsenal game so I don't know how Vermaelen played, question passed...

Apparently Arsene Wenger is gonna get an apology from the ref for getting sent to the stands, Can someone explain what exactly happened??

◆ T.D.A ◆
August 31, 2009, 09:00 AM
Gallas played the best out out of the defenders IMO, I don't think Vermaelen did much apart from what you'd expect from a central defender, it was Gallas who made the important tackles.

thsv
August 31, 2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah it's all good I speak french, my family lives there. there's always a party when Standard win the league.

JESUS CHRIST!!!!! he went haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardd on that player boi! i left so sick. I kept pausing it after every second to get a better view.

I didn't watch the Man U vs Arsenal game so I don't know how Vermaelen played, question passed...

Apparently Arsene Wenger is gonna get an apology from the ref for getting sent to the stands, Can someone explain what exactly happened??
Apparently the managers union got the referee's union to admit that although it was a 'correct' decision to send Wenger to the stands it was an overreaction and distracted from the game since nobody told him exactly where he had to go.

With support like that from your bosses, is it any wonder no one wants to be a referee these days?

Lohnt
August 31, 2009, 09:30 PM
The Ch league draws were definitely interesting, Porto is in one of the groups of death for sure, group C and E are definitely tough as well. Honestly though I thought the draws were set up. Inter vs Barca? Milan vs Real? A little too convenient, TV viewership will be through the roof. Europa league draws were tougher in my opinion, some of those groups are like suicide groups, one bad match and at least 2 others will pass right ahead of you.

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 01, 2009, 08:24 AM
I don't see how it was a set-up when the chances of big matches were great as Real, Juve, Inter were all in Pot 2.

Imperium
September 02, 2009, 12:07 AM
I think he means set up as in the Inter-Barca connection with Ibra and etoo, and kaka madrid vs milan. Many people would want to watch that.

Fletcher rubbish? He was the best player on the pitch yesterday, he's been the most consistent for us for a while now. :lmaoIts my opinion. Other than the fact that he runs around all day, i cannot think of one redeeming feature. He has average technique, his passing is average while his tackling borders is good its also a yellow card waiting to happen. The media though, seem to love painting him as some sort of big game messiah.

btw, how did vermaelen play against man u. The match summary of match of the day didn't tell me anythingA standard 7/10. He wasnt amazingly impressive but he was solid. What you'd expect from a CB i suppose.

Well we've got them after the international break. It'll be interesting to see how far we've really come considering we almost reverted to traditional against Birmingham on Saturday.I would have said it would be harder without modric, but you seem to have got the next best Croatian option (in fact north london is becoming a french-croat haven). Btw, is it at old trafford? Because even if you were 2-0 up...

thsv
September 02, 2009, 06:24 AM
I think he means set up as in the Inter-Barca connection with Ibra and etoo, and kaka madrid vs milan. Many people would want to watch that.
Yeah, but its still a major coincidence.

Its my opinion. Other than the fact that he runs around all day, i cannot think of one redeeming feature. He has average technique, his passing is average while his tackling borders is good its also a yellow card waiting to happen. The media though, seem to love painting him as some sort of big game messiah. Well since Claude Makalele strolled up in West London there's been an media obsession with teams playing a central midfielder dedicated to playing the holding role. Which I find funny for two reasons.

1) What the hell did a defensive midfielder do for all those years then?
2) Two ordinary midfielders could share responsibility for the role by making sure that if one went forward the other held back.

I would have said it would be harder without modric, but you seem to have got the next best Croatian option (in fact north london is becoming a french-croat haven).
We're at home next week. Considering that two seasons ago they grabbed an injury time equalizer and last season the way we were playing we still managed to hold them 0-0 I'd expect better of us this year. That being said when has logic ever played a role in Tottenham's results.

Btw, is it at old trafford? Because even if you were 2-0 up...
Pah! We've lost bigger leads to ManU. Hell we've lost bigger leads to lesser teams. AT HOME!

mutters something about Man City, 3-0 up at half-time, 10 men, 2 hour bus journey home and having to face the humiliation of going into work the next day.

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 02, 2009, 06:41 AM
This season is shaping great I hope tottenham sustain their form to make things interesting.

L0ki
September 03, 2009, 10:36 PM
Well since Claude Makalele strolled up in West London there's been an media obsession with teams playing a central midfielder dedicated to playing the holding role. Which I find funny for two reasons.

1) What the hell did a defensive midfielder do for all those years then?
2) Two ordinary midfielders could share responsibility for the role by making sure that if one went forward the other held back.

That's cause Makelele was really good at it, so he allowed the midfielders of his team (I'm talking about Real Madrid mostly here) to play more offensively, or should I say more specifically that he allowed the other central midfielder to play on a much more offensive role. So after Makelele left Real Madrid became an unbalanced team because they couldn't find another player on the same level and the rest of the midfieldiers couldn't really be taken out of the first eleven because of their big names (Beckham, Zidane, Figo, etc.). So Los Galácticos went to the crapper.
Actually, here in South America most teams used to play with only one central midfielder until recently. The other central midfielder position was replaced by the playmaker, someone who moved around the entire field (in theory at least, most of the time he'd be between the midfield and attacking line). But the lack of really good players in that position lately (due to the coaches' "lack of disposition towards offensive tactics (aka cowardice)" and the speed increase of the game, which conspires against the traditional role of the playmaker) has resulted in a decline on the use of the 4-3-1-2 formation in favor of the 4-4-2.

[/rant]

Lelo
September 05, 2009, 06:01 PM
im tied for first in a football fantasy league. Its my first time in a fantasy league and its pretty fun. This weekend I'm gambling on Ben Foster as my goalie and hes facing Tottenham who always score against us. I know you guys remember the comback last year with 5 goals in the 2nd half.

Saintz0r
September 05, 2009, 08:21 PM
Don't cry for me Argentina... :D

ps: Poor Portugal, will be hard now to classify, almost a miracle. On the bright side, Liédson made what could be your salvation goal and I certanly think he's better than Hugo Almeida, so you should improve a little.
*goes back to tv*

KnuckleheadedNinja
September 05, 2009, 09:10 PM
Man, it a do or die match for us tomorrow. I'm so nervous. If lose we probably going to miss the world cup again, that is not accept for Nigeria.

Pirulito
September 06, 2009, 08:24 AM
Well, Brazil is qualified for the World Cup. Best of all, we got our qualify against Argentina.

But Argentina is now on a bad situation. They have risks to be out of the Cup and a World Cup without Argentina isn't a World Cup.

thsv
September 08, 2009, 07:29 AM
Man, it a do or die match for us tomorrow. I'm so nervous. If lose we probably going to miss the world cup again, that is not accept for Nigeria.
Ghana are the first Africans to qualify (after South Africa) without conceding a goal yet in the second round with 2 games to go. Ivory Coast just need a draw. It's just bad luck Nigeria ended up in a group with Tunisia.

Lelo
September 08, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well, Brazil is qualified for the World Cup. Best of all, we got our qualify against Argentina.

But Argentina is now on a bad situation. They have risks to be out of the Cup and a World Cup without Argentina isn't a World Cup.

Im with u on that, and Portugal my not make it too. Thats the 2 best players in the world, Ronaldo and Messi, and they might not even be in it. Portugal should qualify easy with the players they have. I hate Portugal cause of what happen against England but I still like to watch them play. They should have played Nani the whole game. And sucks for argentina but shit happens

And Spain looked awesome again, and they didnt even start Riera, Fabregas and Ramos, who's injured. Great team and fun to watch. i still wish we could have seen Brasil vs Espanyol in the confederations cup

Mendes
September 09, 2009, 06:18 PM
Portugal... We keep digging our own grave. Now the team is changing their tactic from our typical 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2, in order to play Liedson (who's used to play with another forward) and Ronaldo on a position where he's closest to the goal. The problem is: we have many talented wingers, like Nani and Ronaldo even if Quaresma and Simao are in bad shape... also Ronaldo doesnt score since Euro 2008 and Portugal's been using the 4-3-3 for 50 years.

I guess we can count ourselves unlucky. We lost 2 games with Denmark where we should have won for 4/5 goals with the amount of chances we missed. Sweden won their last 2 games with a single goal at the last minute... own goal today :(

Our chances to go through are complicated:

1-We must win every match
2-Sweden must loose points once
3-If Sweden draws a match, we are tied in the 2nd spot and the goal difference is the deciding factor. Actually Sweden has 1 goal ahead in their goal difference.
4-Even if we can clear steps 1 to 3, we risk being the worst 2nd classified in the qualifying groups...

Argentina must go to the WC, with the south american qualifiers its almost impossible not to... but Maradona is doing bad. Even if Portugal doesnt go trough, I'm excited to see a WC with the super Euro Champs, Spain, the reborn England, the powerful Brazil, the mechanical orange Holland and don't forget Italy's defending the title.

Lelo
September 10, 2009, 04:45 PM
why wont they play Nani?

Mendes
September 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
I wish they would, but he doesnt fit in the new 4-4-2 formation and in the old 4-3-3, Queiroz usually plays Ronaldo and Simao, who have more reputation than Nani.

L0ki
September 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
If it weren't because we play against a horrible, horrible team like Peru next match I'd say we're screwed. Maradona coach. What a joke.

blai
September 11, 2009, 04:13 AM
Mendes, I doubt you'll be 3rd after Sweden, seeing as we won with only 1-0 vs Malta after a Maltese scored in his own goal in the 81st minute. A game which Sweden shouldn't have won with the gameplay they had, and a game that they played in Stockholm. I guess they were too satisfied with having Zlatan winning on the lotto (lucked the 2-1goal vs Hungary)

Mendes
September 11, 2009, 06:04 AM
Mendes, I doubt you'll be 3rd after Sweden, seeing as we won with only 1-0 vs Malta after a Maltese scored in his own goal in the 81st minute. A game which Sweden shouldn't have won with the gameplay they had, and a game that they played in Stockholm. I guess they were too satisfied with having Zlatan winning on the lotto (lucked the 2-1goal vs Hungary)

But Denmark and Sweden are friend nations. I hope Denmark doesnt give Sweden a lift :/

Saintz0r
September 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
1- Brasil - 33
2- Paraguai - 30
3- Chile - 27
4- Equador - 23
5- Argentina - 22
6- Uruguai - 21
7- Venezuela - 21
8- Colombia - 20

Brasil and Paraguai already classified, Chile only needs one victory, but might go to the Wc even if loses both games. Argentina plays against Peru and then goes to Montevideu to play against Uruguai... they HAVE to win against Peru, otherwise they'll be lucky if they manage to get in 5th and play against 4th of Concacaf
I'm guessing Chile in 3rd, Equador in 4th and Argentina in 5th ( hopefully not qualifying :XD )

ps: Messi playing for Argentina reminds me of ronaldinho Gaucho in 2006 :p

Capello's England looks solid. We now look like a team and can play football. There's also strength in depth now.
Yup, I had forgotten to say, but I'm more worried about England than Spain for instance. After their loss against Usa I just can't help wondering if they won't lose against some team with no tradition in the Wc. Honestly, I think that's likely, but we'll see :p

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
Capello's England looks solid. We now look like a team and can play football. There's also strength in depth now.

ibra87
September 11, 2009, 12:03 PM
I guess we can count ourselves unlucky. We lost 2 games with Denmark where we should have won for 4/5 goals with the amount of chances we missed.

Eh...? It's not that you guys missed chances as much as the obvious penalty you guys weren't given. We were so happy the referee didn't count it even though it was clear as day in the replay.

But yeah, this might shape up to be a boring WC... Especially when Del Piero hasn't played in Italy's national team yet. But then again Denmark might get far this time if they didn't repeat the fiasco against Albania.

And no Mendes, we will try to beat up Sweden, since our qualification isn't 100% yet. Plus we've never been friends with the swedes...

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 11, 2009, 12:05 PM
Messi and Ronaldo can't be legendary if they can't get lead their countries to glory or at least qualify for the WC :p

Lelo
September 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
^ Exactly. And it wouldnt be much of a world cup without them and their teammates

Mendes
September 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
Plus we've never been friends with the swedes...

:)
Lets go back to Euro 2004! Group C with Italy, Bulgaria, Denmark and Sweden. Italy needed to win against Bulgaria in the last round and hope that the other match between Sweden and Denmark wouldnt end in a tie 2-2 or with more goals. Italy struggled but in the last minute they celebrated Cassano's goal and with the 2-1 result in the Sweden-Denmark match they celebrated the qualifying to the next round. But just as they scored that goal, Sweden scored with a flaw by the danish GK, which settled that one result that would kick Italy out of the Cup.
Its probably a coincidence, but the fact is I'm worried. I hope Denmark do fight for the 1st spot in the group.

It'd be fun to see Portugal go to the playoffs and have to play France xD

L0ki
September 11, 2009, 09:35 PM
Messi and Ronaldo can't be legendary if they can't get lead their countries to glory or at least qualify for the WC :p

Football is a team sport, unfortunately for them.

thsv
September 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
:)
Lets go back to Euro 2004! Group C with Italy, Bulgaria, Denmark and Sweden. Italy needed to win against Bulgaria in the last round and hope that the other match between Sweden and Denmark wouldnt end in a tie 2-2 or with more goals. Italy struggled but in the last minute they celebrated Cassano's goal and with the 2-1 result in the Sweden-Denmark match they celebrated the qualifying to the next round. But just as they scored that goal, Sweden scored with a flaw by the danish GK, which settled that one result that would kick Italy out of the Cup.
Its probably a coincidence, but the fact is I'm worried. I hope Denmark do fight for the 1st spot in the group.

It'd be fun to see Portugal go to the playoffs and have to play France xD
Ah how I laughed that night. The funny thing is from what I remember of the first two goals it'd hard to scream conspiracy. I'm praying for a France-Portugal playoff as well, in order to keep up the curse of the semi finalist.

Lohnt
September 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Fantasy Football is back on for UEFA.com

Mangahelpers head to head league: 56073-12343
Mangahelpers regular league: 56073-12362

(join both)

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
Football is a team sport, unfortunately for them.

The thing is the legendary players in the past like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, all did something for their country and led their team to glory.

Mendes
September 13, 2009, 05:58 AM
The thing is the legendary players in the past like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, all did something for their country and led their team to glory.

So true

blai
September 13, 2009, 09:11 AM
Well, I know that game was pretty... weird.. but I doubt that the Danish team wants to take Sweden with them, actually, I think they want to do whatever they can to NOT let us qualify. The fact that they have an opportunity to close our chance to get to the WC in RSA is too tempting. I know I'd want to make sure the Danish team wouldn't be able to qualify, if we could.

KnuckleheadedNinja
September 13, 2009, 09:55 PM
Man Utd 4 life baby, and the haters said we can't win without C. Ronaldo.

And what a celebration by Adebayor. Best celebration ever, and Arsenal fans deserve even single bit of it.

Can't wait to see the next Man City vs. Arsenal game. There will be blood.

L0ki
September 14, 2009, 02:06 AM

They all had great teams backing them up. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Despite having the potential to build up a pretty decent team, Argentina is like a horde of headless chickens running on the field (the prime example of this behavior would be Tévez). And Portugal has never given me the impression of being a strong team, just having a couple of good players now and then. The point is, no player can win matches on his own, not even those you mentioned. Moreover, Messi and C. Ronaldo aren't the kind of players who can take control of their team's play, they're most confortable when receiving the ball close to the goal with not so many defenders in front of them. So while they're in teams which cannot provide such opportunities their talents will be wasted.

thsv
September 14, 2009, 02:23 AM
And Portugal has never given me the impression of being a strong team, just having a couple of good players now and then.
I've said that before. The thing is Portugal suddenly had a crop of decent players and everyone speaks about them like they're the Dutch. Before Euro 96 the last time they had qualified for a senior tournament was France 84 and then Mexico 86. Before that was England 66 (I don't think they got to Mexico 4 years later). The fact is thanks to changes in qualifying Portugal and certain other nation (Yes I'm looking at you England. You did well this time but it could have gone oh so wrong) now have better odds at qualifying for tournaments. Which I suppose is why they look so great at the moment since they've been in everything since Euro 2000. Hell I think Belgium have a better qualifying record for the World Cup. And they aren't very good right now.

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
But Portugal aren't a bad team, they still have a lot of world class players (well WC for their clubs at least), they should be playing better, I guess even a team with great players can fail if it doesn't have a good manager, England under McClaren is a good example.