PDA

View Full Version : The Gold Bug - Edgar Allan Poe

MrTeatime
February 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
To every OP-fan. You should read "the Gold Bug" by Edgar Allan Poe.
Its very funny how Oda has taken inspiration from that masterpiece of a novel.
I wont say how because i dont want to ruin the novel for you.:amuse

But I can say that we finally get the reason for our dear straw hat capitan's strange hunt for a bug at...dont remember the name...the island before Skypeia-arc.(laughed out loud):D

Warning though, its a bit creepy, witch is predictable considering the writer:eyeroll

Ps, It contains Pirates, hihihi. Ds

Imitorar
February 28, 2008, 01:51 AM
I just read it, and I really didn't see much similarity to One Piece. It was a great story, (reminiscent of Treasure Island, actually), but I don't think that Luffy's excitement over beetles at Jaya was a reference to this, I think it was mostly Luffy being simple-minded. I mean, Hercules and Atlas are real types of beetles, yet I've never heard of a real live beetle made out of solid gold. And he didn't find any gold beetles or treasures in the jungle on Jaya anyway. And I never thought of Oda as the kind of person who reads Poe, though that's just my impression, and has nothing really to do with fact. I still don't see much connection between the story and Jaya.

MrTeatime
February 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
I just read it, and I really didn't see much similarity to One Piece. It was a great story, (reminiscent of Treasure Island, actually), but I don't think that Luffy's excitement over beetles at Jaya was a reference to this, I think it was mostly Luffy being simple-minded. I mean, Hercules and Atlas are real types of beetles, yet I've never heard of a real live beetle made out of solid gold. And he didn't find any gold beetles or treasures in the jungle on Jaya anyway. And I never thought of Oda as the kind of person who reads Poe, though that's just my impression, and has nothing really to do with fact. I still don't see much connection between the story and Jaya.

But the skull thing(And i dont mean in connection to the pirateflag but rather to the finding of the treasure)
, and the gold in the eye(socket)? The giant gold treasure?
(The isolation(living alone in the woods) of the treasure hunter?)

(i cant find the spoiler button)

Added the spoiler tag.

Imitorar
February 28, 2008, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I realized about those later today. Also, the "skull's right eye" thing. I know that that WASN'T actually where the gold was, but that might have been a bit of a joke on Oda's part.