PDA

View Full Version : Archived The genetics of Domestication

_ATMA
March 03, 2008, 09:57 AM
all right recently i remembered about something i saw on TV or read somewhere about a the Russian gov. spending over 50 years in a genetic experiment breeding two separate species of the standard Red Fox into what is now called the 'Tame silver fox' due to its genetic quarks its now silver, acts more like a dog, well behaved around humans, and shows general traits that other domesticated animals such as dogs and cats show. then the other separate group breed by them to be very violent, wild, anti-social, and distaste for humans in general. now the thing is they have achieved this "domestication" of the red fox in a relatively short time i believe it was something like 25 generations and with each generation they get more friendly and strange showing traits as spots, colored eyes, wagging tails, curving tails (like a husky). so far the whole purpose of this experiment is to figure out the wild genes of the red fox, this may seem insignificant but what do you think? do u think this will have some sort of benefit. ppl have been complaining that no mater what you do its still a wild animal. despite this over thousands and thousands of generations of dogs and cats being probably breed for human companionship of an animal and being redily accepted.

now i think the point im trying to get to is do you believe this will lead to a domestication and genetic altercation to popular wild animals say turning an elephant into the size of a standard Hen, or other animals such as horses, birds, and random marsupials.

this may also help explain and teach us some important things about genetics and where and how to control certain genetic quirks and how they work.

whats your opinion try to stick to science and not the whole "religious" and ethical issues and standpoints

Paper
March 03, 2008, 01:28 PM
i'm all for it. it'll ensure that the world never runs out of meat for consuption. it will also help remove animals from the endangered species list. then again it'll also help those sickos that kill animals in the name of fashion....killing an animal to survive is ok, but killing an animal just to look good is pure concentrated evil!! SAY NO TO FUR!

Koen
March 03, 2008, 06:21 PM
i'm all for it. it'll ensure that the world never runs out of meat for consuption. it will also help remove animals from the endangered species list. then again it'll also help those sickos that kill animals in the name of fashion....killing an animal to survive is ok, but killing an animal just to look good is pure concentrated evil!! SAY NO TO FUR!

This is the most rational and best opinion you can give

I agree :thumbs

Paper
March 04, 2008, 12:34 AM
y'know what else will become possible? POKEMON! gotta catch 'em all! :rofl

_ATMA
March 04, 2008, 12:51 AM
y'know what else will become possible? POKEMON! gotta catch 'em all! :rofl

lol try and stick to the subject :o

Paper
March 04, 2008, 01:02 AM
lolz, soz. couldn't help it.

but as previously mentioned by you, novelty pets will become viable. personally, i want a bear the size of a cat...

D3M1URG3
March 04, 2008, 01:05 AM
I think that It's an interesting process from a scientific stand-point, but I believe that creating such a "sub-species" is really degrading the animal as a whole. Though I do understand the reasons behind it, and that's another one of my problems with it. Domesticating foxes is simply going to make another house hold pet that will be able to be sold to consumers who want the new fad, and getting into this trend will make all kinds of people try these concepts with other types of animals so that they too can make proper pets.

Somewhat disgusting...in my opinion.

Paper
March 04, 2008, 01:16 AM
well novelty pets can get out of hand, but i'd be more concerned of fur farmers than animal domesticators. at least the latter allows the animal to live.

_ATMA
March 04, 2008, 01:55 AM
well novelty pets can get out of hand, but i'd be more concerned of fur farmers than animal domesticators. at least the latter allows the animal to live.

i would have to agree in the case of a domesticated pet the animal is well cared for and loved by an individual where in the case of the fur trade they are kept in a small cage until they're old enough to be harvested personaly im an animal lover but i do believe in animal experimentation but only when the animal is properly treated but i would have to agree with denis leary in his no cure for cancer act we only want to save the cute ones "What are u?", "im a cow", "GET ON THE FUCKING TRUCK UR A BASE BALL GLOVE"

Paper
March 04, 2008, 02:07 AM
well, we'll have to face the fact that some animals will only be produced for food. though it may be cruel, it's true... all we can do is respect the animals that we kill by making the most out of them (e.g. milking a cow for milk, once it gets old we can kill it for meat, and use it's hyde for clothing. it's hooves, horns, and unwanted bones can also be used to make glue, plus it's innards and offals can also be consumed).