PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Piece Volume 51 (ch492-502) Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Imitorar
March 07, 2008, 12:39 PM
One Piece chapter 491 is out! Come and get it HERE (http://www.mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=756597#post756597).

A new (yet old) enemy appears! Whose face lies behind the iron mask? What hilarity will ensue when the Straw Hats meet Hatchi again? Come here and predict the answers!

fallou
March 07, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yosh!!!really fun chapter! The guy with the mask is obviously: morgan, kuro, arlong or unknown. I bet on unknown... Anyway we're going to have to wait til the next spoilers to learn!dammit!At least we know it'll be a small arc with a quiet weak villain(and hopefully a very funny arc...the one with Moria was a bit gloomy,no?)

luffyvszoro
March 07, 2008, 01:28 PM
I think is gonna be Don Krieg

fallou
March 07, 2008, 03:03 PM
at least it can't be kuro. Ain't big enough to fit the armour.So I'll bet my money on Krieg too

Griffith
March 07, 2008, 03:23 PM
Yep I think it's either Krieg or someone unknown, Arlong came to my mind rather fast because of the whole mermen thing, but his nose can't fit that armor..

Ustegius
March 07, 2008, 03:34 PM
I bet on
a) Krieg, he was in to armors and such, though I don't think that Gin would really aprove going into slave marketing business.
b) Buggy(!), maybe not, but I really, really want to see his comeback!
c) Someone who wanted Gomu Gomu no Mi, you remeber perhaps that Sanji was somewhat upset when he found out that Absalom had his dream power. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more people on Grand line hunting for one desired fruit. Could be even the one from whose ship Shanks's crew stole GomuGomu from.
d) Someone completly random, with hilarious reasons having grudge to someone in Straw hats, this is maybe the most Oda-ish option

But I don't think Duval will be revealed just yet. For next chapter I predict arriving to that island and start of a battle between Mugiwaras and part of Duval's forces.

By the way, didn't Luffy cut Arlong's nose into half? Could be him too. but why would he allow beating Hatchan? Well, he might consider him as a traitor but, well... whatever...

k-dom
March 07, 2008, 03:54 PM
Does anybody knows what the front cover is refering to ?

mars0103
March 07, 2008, 03:57 PM
krieg to weak but morgan most proberly excaped to fishman island because its close the marine HQ

Wale
March 07, 2008, 04:05 PM
I can not wait, to see the next cover from Enies Lobby.. :)

fallou
March 07, 2008, 04:06 PM
Does anybody knows what the front cover is refering to ?

I think it's what's left of ennies lobby,mec

scen
March 07, 2008, 04:14 PM
You know the guy could be rob lucci... they look like they wear the same coat. but if its not im routing for captain kuro cause he was awesome.
am i the only one that finds one piece completely unfunny... i only read for the story and fight scenes.

Absolutio
March 07, 2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think that this Duval guy can be Krieg. First of all, Luffy didn't really destroy his life. Morgan seems more likely in that manner. And 2ndly, Krieg was too weak to even cross the grand-line, so I doubt he made it that far.

fallou
March 07, 2008, 04:25 PM
You know the guy could be rob lucci... they look like they wear the same coat. but if its not im routing for captain kuro cause he was awesome.
am i the only one that finds one piece completely unfunny... i only read for the story and fight scenes.
Waow!!Rob Lucci?seriously man?Unfunny?One Piece? Your theory with Rob Lucci doesn't make any sense, and as for the fun, I think you just don't get it. But if that's your opinion, good for you. Just go read Naruto instead

Please, don't exagerrate :)

GJMEGA
March 07, 2008, 04:29 PM
I think its that captain from marine headquarters "Ship Butcher T-bone" from volume 39 chapter 371 page 14, his helmet looks like this Duval guys helmet. Which means he's after Zoro not Luffy. What do you guys think?

fallou
March 07, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think its that captain from marine headquarters "Ship Butcher T-bone" from volume 39 chapter 371 page 14, his helmet looks like this Duval guys helmet. Which means he's after Zoro not Luffy. What do you guys think?

yeah that could be it..but t-bone had like very serious principles about justice, and stuff like that. If I got it right, the masked guy is in human trading business. that doesn't sound like T-bone, does it?

GJMEGA
March 07, 2008, 04:46 PM
yeah that could be it..but t-bone had like very serious principles about justice, and stuff like that. If I got it right, the masked guy is in human trading business. that doesn't sound like T-bone, does it?

True, but rage and hate can do weird things to people.

fallou
March 07, 2008, 04:56 PM
True, but rage and hate can do weird things to people.
You're right about that..Speaking of rage, I'm sorry 'bout what I said on Naruto. I actually enjoy reading it. So apologies to Naruto fans. But I ain't taking back what I said about OP being funny. you just have to have the right sense of humor, that's all.:p
Actually,if the next issue(or spoilers) don't give us a hint, this debate about who's the masked man could go a long,long way. By the way, what about fullbody?the guy on the Baratie?

Akainu
March 07, 2008, 05:50 PM
man thats exactly what I wanted to predict.
this duval might be a running gag of not being able to catch the strawhats and thus his face will never be shown.
actually I'm surprised that no one predicted him being pandaman yet ^^
he is not obviously.
seriously it reads as if he waited a long time though he also said he waited for that ship which doesn't exist that long...

to add one further thing: how big do you think he is? on the frame where he is crushing the glass, his hand seems rather big.

fallou
March 07, 2008, 06:09 PM
Maybe the guy got the wrong ship(lol)...And right, that could be a running gag.But Oda could also surprise us once again by making the guy a very strong enemy, an old aquaintance of one strawhat...But that we readers have never met. Like a guy Brooke knows(and given how old Brooke is, he could have waited a very long time indeed)pfuiii...I feel like I been talking nonsense ever since that Duval appeared in my life.Gotta stop thinkin bout it,or I'll just go crazy

Absolutio
March 07, 2008, 06:44 PM
It isn't possible that it's a guy that knows brooke since brooke only recently joined the SHs, and it isn't known to the rest of the world yet.

shrimpy
March 07, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'm going with Buggy. It's about time for his re-appearance, since Oda has already brought back quite a few of the early characters. And, Ruffy did send him flying, so...

wing_gundam
March 07, 2008, 08:09 PM
Yep I think it's either Krieg or someone unknown, Arlong came to my mind rather fast because of the whole mermen thing, but his nose can't fit that armor..

last time i checked, his nose was broken off...

Mische
March 07, 2008, 09:16 PM
I think we will see the Sh´s havin some trouble with troops attacking them from the sky. Then we will have the wtf look of carnie again when luffy gets bugged and smacks the first one into the clouds. Like some others said the mask is not going to be revealed yet.
Its hard to predict who it will be but i´d say arlong and buggy are not an option.Why would Arlong kidnap his old buddy. There is no reason for him to do so. Buggy could´t use his abilities in an armor he doesn´t need one at all!
Oviously the armor is a reason to predict its Don Krieg but seriously i´d guess oda rather wants an "oooohhhh" when its revealed than an "oh, i knew it!"

I´d say there will be two surprising things :
1. its not luffy he wants and
2. It will be some side figure that hasn´t played a major part in the manga yet. The reasons why he blames the Sh´s for messing up his life might as well be unknown to us so far and we will learn more about it in this filler arc.

Inkovic
March 07, 2008, 10:11 PM
Duval is Enel!!

maybe not :P

predsfan
March 07, 2008, 10:57 PM
I could see it being Krieg, mainly because he's the only character I remember wearing armor during a fight, and also because Gin told Luffy and Sanji he'll see them again at the Grand Line. At the very least, I predict hilarity shall ensue, as it always does.

garaa89
March 08, 2008, 01:24 AM
it could be pearl from krieg armada since he wears armor. but dont know it really could be anyone even ones that we never heard of.

purplerose_04
March 08, 2008, 02:46 AM
For some reason... Arlong pop up in my head.. but Kreig is also possible but i still doubt it is him though..
I don't think it is Enel since he is up in the moon.. and from the cover story he seems happy there..
So somehow, i think it is either Arlong, Bellamy..

nerevarine
March 08, 2008, 03:06 AM
First, I also thought that it could be one of the enemys before the SH went to Grand Line, but all those (like Creek or Kuro) are much too weak, even with training.

I was brainstorming and the resultat is that I realised, that we barely know anything about Zoro's past (we know about Nico Robin -> flight of the WG; Franky was always at WS; Brooke is "perhaps" a second candidate, but I don't think so; Nami was at the Arlong Park; Sanji was always at the Baraterie; Usopp stayed on his island until the SH showed up; Chopper is too honest and good to damage so, perhaps even too weak, and he was always with Dr. Kuela; finally, I think it's not Ruffy who's meant, cause I think it's someone unknown and until the whole story began he was always at his hometown).

All we know about Zoro is his childhood-promis to Kuina that one of them will be the world's best swordman. I think it's one enemy, Zoro defeated while he was a bounty hunter, because we still have a huge gap from Zoro's childhood till his joining into the SH-crew.

Andytheass
March 08, 2008, 03:34 AM
I think that Duval is after Luffy because when the flying fish riders see whose ship it is the only SH that is shown is Luffy and i think that is our hint. As for who Duval is maybe its someone so obscure we would never think of it. Like the guy that kidnapped Luffy when he was a kid and then got eaten by a sea monster. Maybe that guy survived and is now pissed a Luffy. Either that or just one of the underlings of any of the other arcs like Enel's priests or something.

Silhouette
March 08, 2008, 04:57 AM
Only the left arm of the mystery guy appears in the pic + "ST's destroyed my life" = ex-captain Morgan. It's not Arlong since arlong has skin between his fingers.
Like always, the arc starts with a character in need of help, SH's beat the minor "villain" then they move to beat the main bad guy who has been spreading injustice and terror among an entire population. I hope this time the main villain is one of the kings of the new world. If I recall correctly, one of the new worlds kings is fish-man so maybe he's the one behind the slave trade in Mermaid Island.

fallou
March 08, 2008, 06:08 AM
Only the left arm of the mystery guy appears in the pic + "ST's destroyed my life" = ex-captain Morgan. It's not Arlong since arlong has skin between his fingers.
Like always, the arc starts with a character in need of help, SH's beat the minor "villain" then they move to beat the main bad guy who has been spreading injustice and terror among an entire population. I hope this time the main villain is one of the kings of the new world. If I recall correctly, one of the new worlds kings is fish-man so maybe he's the one behind the slave trade in Mermaid Island.

Actually there's a fishman king that's call Jinbei but I think he's a shichibukai(who work for the navy) and not a Yonkou. Plus I don't think the SH are ready for a yonku(that's what everybody's been telling me, at least, and i kinda believe it)

Organizized
March 08, 2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah, the Yonkou will have to wait until the new world, cause that's where we know they are.

My prediction: Duval is..... Duval! *dun dun*
That's right, no old archenemy of East Blue here, no. Brand new stuff here, yes.

I don't know who it was that ruined his life. Heck, we don't even see them telling him it's the Straw Hats, so it could be his first reaction to every pirate ship... though not likely.
Or.. he idolizes someone in the crew but thinks they're sellouts.
Or.. he's a bounty hounter, but his mama didn't like it so he has to have and excuse for attacking pirates.

Man, my predictions get less and less likely (and serious) by the minute.

Silhouette
March 08, 2008, 06:46 AM
Actually there's a fishman king that's call Jinbei but I think he's a shichibukai(who work for the navy) and not a Yonkou. Plus I don't think the SH are ready for a yonku(that's what everybody's been telling me, at least, and i kinda believe it)

Thanks for correcting my hazy memory.

The only reason the ST's have fought shichibukais is because they turn to be tyrants who harm entire towns/islands then Luffy promises someone (under the direct harm of shichibukai) to kick the bad guy's ass.
The Yonkus haven't been shown to follow this pattern (yet) but when one of them is depicted as a tyrant then I believe that yes, Luffy and his crew will fight him and they will beat him and his crew "somehow".

Yeah, the Yonkou will have to wait until the new world, cause that's where we know they are.

Now that you mention it, I agree with you

Or.. he's a bounty hounter, but his mama didn't like it so he has to have and excuse for attacking pirates.

haha

fallou
March 08, 2008, 06:59 AM
I agree with that. And they'll even may have to fight the"good" yonkou also(WhiteBeard, Shanks) to get hold of the One Piece and become Pirate King(I know, there's still a long way to go until that happens)But I'm pretty sure one of the Yonku will turn out to be a bad guy(wouldn't be fun otherwise anyway)As for Jinbei, he might be a "good" Schichibukai, like Mihawk (probably)is
[hr]

My prediction: Duval is..... Duval! *dun dun*
That's right, no old archenemy of East Blue here, no. Brand new stuff here, yes.

I don't know who it was that ruined his life. Heck, we don't even see them telling him it's the Straw Hats, so it could be his first reaction to every pirate ship... though not likely.
Or.. he idolizes someone in the crew but thinks they're sellouts.

Man, my predictions get less and less likely (and serious) by the minute.

Well, knowing how one piece sometimes is, your unserious predictions could be closer from the truth than you think(after all who knows). Duval could be very very thin and weak, and use that armour to make himself look huge and impressive...:D

Zoro-kun
March 08, 2008, 07:50 AM

I think one piece is damned funny.. if it hadn't been so funny i dont think i would have read it... ofc the fights are cool too, but without the humor it would have been nothing.. :)
[hr]
ofcourse it's not don krieg or arlong... -.- They are too weak.. :)
it could be Jimbei? But i dont really think it's him either... I bet it's some totally random that wanted the gumo gumo no mi fruit too.. :)

fallou
March 08, 2008, 08:54 AM
I think one piece is damned funny.. if it hadn't been so funny i dont think i would have read it... ofc the fights are cool too, but without the humor it would have been nothing.. :)
<hr noshade size="1">
ofcourse it's not don krieg or arlong... -.- They are too weak.. :)
it could be Jimbei? But i dont really think it's him either... I bet it's some totally random that wanted the gumo gumo no mi fruit too.. :)

Yeah Arlong is weak, but so is Hatchan, and he made it from eastblue to fishman island. but I don't think it's him. And it can't be Jinbei, since he holds no grudge against Luffy

Vizard5
March 08, 2008, 09:14 AM
it could actually be buggy..
we know he is in the grand line, he seems like a person who would way luffy destroyed his life, and he seems like a person who would start a slave trade business.
it's true what buggy woulden't use an armor but no1 said Duval uses one and it doesn't look like he uses a full armor either..he only have a iron mask..

but i think it is a new character..

anyways next chapter they will eigher reach the FFR base or they will be ambushed..

fallou
March 08, 2008, 10:53 AM
Buggy again...Why not? As for the big boss of the arc, it sure won't be Jinbei.But as for Buggy, last time we heard of him, he still had a crew, and was partying and doing fine so...

arlong
March 08, 2008, 11:34 AM
i would bet my head to arlong, the mask is probably there, because luffy broke his nose.

Mische
March 08, 2008, 03:32 PM
first of all, this is definately not the beginning of a new arc!
They will go in, kick ass (with of course 2 chapters where the enemy has some surprise for them that gives them a hard time)and then head to merman island. For Jimbei. "IF" he plays a major role in the next arc, which is likely, then it will be after arriving fishman island. They don´t even know where this is yet!

That Duval is saying that its the pirate ship he has been searching for --> all this time <--- means that it has to be quite some time ago in the Grand line or in west blue when the SH´s (or at least one of them) "ruined his life"

Please no more predicting it might be arlong! Look here (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/19/) and you will see its NOT the hand of a fishman!
On the pic of Duval you can see very well that he is not just wearing an iron mask but also the fitting suit to it and all this weight is useless for someone that uses an ability like buggy is doing! Cross that plz.

Now we are down to Don Creek and Morgan. both are a possibility since Creek wears an armor. It could be a hint for him being Morgan that duvals left hand was shown when he broke the glass as somebody said!
I still think its neither one of them. if i had the time i would read everything till the Sh´s entering the grand line or a little futher and watch out for so far unimportant looking side figures but i don´t have the time so i will wait and yell : yeesss! when somebody finally comes up with someone that Luffy hasn´t fought so far (since it would be much more fun if we wouldn´t see the same fight twice!)

Edit: to keep the discussion up i´ll throw in another possibility!
this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/233/04/) dude from Bellamys pirate crew (pic in the middle on the left side) has a slight alikeness with the one guy (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/18/) from the flying fish riders who is recognizing the SH´s. He has the same earings and the shape of the face fits!They have a big guy (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/233/05/) too that looks alike to the one riding the fish in the middle.
Maybe Duval is Bignife Sarquiss as Belamy should be dead and he as the second man would have become the leader i guess... He was worth 38 million then and with some power ups etc. he might be worth more than 100 now and thinks he can take revenge on the Sh´s for what the did to their crew! plus we haven´t seen him fight at all yet and their crew really is immoral enough to go into slavery buisness!

btw. look for the links i put in this. they are harder to see than before! Maybe you should change the colour again (or can i choose the colour somehow?)

tehgrim
March 08, 2008, 06:50 PM
It could also be someone from BW and someone from the arc where chopper joins. Since wapol could change his build as how he wanted... but when the duval was first introduced i instantly though of morgan so my guess is on him in the end.

Andytheass
March 08, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ive got to say it's T-bone. Out of all the people whose lives were destroyed by a SH he is the only one that has anything that resembles Duvals armor. He had the cross shaped cutouts. I went back and looked at Morgan's lower jaw gaurd thing though it is similar to Duvals it wasn't close enough to say it was him. As for it being arlong look at the hands not even close. There is no other resemblance of anyone else.

hasin
March 08, 2008, 09:31 PM
i read the chapter again. and my final bet is on ironfist fullbody. ironfist wears an iron mask. maybe coincidence but i think odaish too. it also fits with with ironfist's character to trade humans. i also think that it is a small arc that is for fun. maybe at extreme conditions it can get harder but sanji will be the one that puts it together.

belle_chan
March 08, 2008, 09:46 PM
the first person that popped out of my mind when i saw that masked man is arlong. but,now i`m getting confused since like u all said, the masked man doesn`t have web between his fingers and arlong`s long nose won`t fit inside that mask.
it can`t be buggy bcoz he always with alvida and his pirate crews. for now i would say it is an unknown character.
can`t wait for the next chapter.

and i wanna caimie to join SH. but,she must be reluctant to leave haichi.

purplerose_04
March 09, 2008, 02:24 AM
at first i thought it might be arlong but now i think about it.. It might be Morgan... of all the enemies that Luffy encounter Morgan seems to be the most upset and he did escape..

yep.. i'm going w/ Morgan.. well just wait and see now

Vizard5
March 09, 2008, 06:31 AM
i don't think it's creek cause he would wear a full armor, u can actually see Duvals chest on the last page.. Buggy wears gloves, and this nose wouldn't fit in the mask.. it's not Arlong for all the reasons stated before.. that leaves Morgan and Wapol, both of them have a reason to say someone form the SH-crew ruined their life.. between those two i would guess Morgan. but i hope and think it will be a new character..

Edit: does anyone recognise the mark on belt of this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/18/)guy? i know i've seen it before but i can't put my finger on where..

Mr.Popo
March 09, 2008, 08:44 AM
If we want to have a chance to predict the identity of Duval, we need to predict the identity of his target on the strawhat ship:
Luffy - If it's Luffy, it must be someone we know of, because Luffy stayed in his hometown till he starts his adventure.
Sanji - Same as Luffy.
Lysop - Same as Luffy, but with less to no archenemy since the start of his adventure
Chopper - Same as Lysop.

Zorro - He is more interesting! He left his home and wandered around causing trouble to many criminals. And as the second man of the SHs he hit some major guys too.
Franky - Similar to Zorro. Though he never really left W7, he did the same things as Zorro and we don't know much about it either.

Brooke - Out of question. Nobody knows he is on the SH ship.

So i bet it's an unknown enemy of Zorro or Franky.
About the known enemies:
Morgan - probably the best bet. He has a character who likes to seek for revenge.
Krieg - My first thought. But he normally relies on a big crew, not only three, so he's probably not the one.
Arlong - I don't think he is the revenge seeking type of character.

The hand we see crushing something: I'm not so sure it's really Duval's hand. The three fishmen where looking at different directions after the crush and before someone spoke. Problably two bad guys?

P.S. i also saw the mark on the belt, but did't recogniced it.

Akainu
March 09, 2008, 10:51 AM
I looked for it a bit but couldn't find any total match. the only interesting thing that I found was, that the baroque works is quite similar and that - like someone said somewhere before - we didn't get to know one of their higher ranked members! (mr6 if so. cares).

Kikuna992
March 09, 2008, 11:27 AM
Guys, I just realized something! Everyone is saying it can't be arlong because of his nose, but wasn't that bent by luffy during their fight, so isn't it shorter?

fallou
March 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
Actually Arlong had some fish stuff between his fingers, and they aren't in the picture of Duval at the end of the chapter. But as we all know, Oda sometimes makes mistakes and forgets stuff so...

captainjustin
March 09, 2008, 01:53 PM
@mr.popo: i don't think that it is such a guarantee that luffy never left his hometown before heading out. there have been some really vague references to him and ace being trained, and considering how tough luffy is right from the start of the story, i find it hard to believe that he got all that training on fuschia island (but it would definitely still be in east blue). that's just my opinion.
i would just be really happy if luffy got more backstory, though, so i could be biased.

also, seeing as how arlong got his nose busted and a whole building dropped on him, i'm not so worried about his nose not fitting in the mask (i mean that could be the whole reason he wears it), what's much more damning is the fact that there is no webbing on his hand. that kills the arlong option, imo.

Ustegius
March 09, 2008, 01:54 PM
Guys, I just realized something! Everyone is saying it can't be arlong because of his nose, but wasn't that bent by luffy during their fight, so isn't it shorter?

That has been stated at least twice already in this thread (to my count).

But also, why couldn't he be seeking revenge for Sanji? You know
a) He seemingly beated several dudes before Fullbody at Baratie
b) He hasn't always been at Baratie (before Strawhats), he also worked in a trading ships kitchen as a little kid, before meating Zeff. Could be funny if Duval seeks revenge for Sanji 'cause stealing his Teddy bear or something :amuse

Wale
March 09, 2008, 02:21 PM
Duval can be a pirate, who's treasure was stolen by Nami too.. there are a lot possibilitys.

Andytheass
March 09, 2008, 02:34 PM
Edit: does anyone recognise the mark on belt of this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/18/)guy? i know i've seen it before but i can't put my finger on where..

the mark on the belt is prolly the symbol for the flying fish riders, though it does look similar to broakworks' symbol.

Imitorar
March 09, 2008, 03:54 PM
the mark on the belt is prolly the symbol for the flying fish riders, though it does look similar to broakworks' symbol.
That gives me a nutty idea... Who do we know whose face was crushed, and had a connection to Baroque Works? Mr. 11. Luffy indirectly ruined his life by defeating Mr. 3, and opening a spot in the ranks, which was why that Billion killed Mr. 11.

I was considering Duval being T-bone, since T-bone might have become twisted by Zoro's preventing him from fulfilling his life's purpose, i.e. protecting justice. But he leads a gang of slavers, and no matter HOW twisted he became, I can't see T-bone becoming a slaver. Waylaying ships and searching them by force if necessary, yes. Capturing people and selling them into slavery, no.

I think the probable theories are Morgan, (since Duval's left hand was shown, and Morgan's RIGHT hand was the ax. Plus, Morgan's face would also be a give away, due to his iron jaw, and Duval's face was also covered. And it would fit with what we know of Morgan's personality) or Don Krieg (Krieg also wore armor, and Luffy also shattered his dreams pretty badly.) But I don't know if Krieg would be strong enough to get all the way to the Red Line with his armada scattered and his armor shattered. And Morgan, seemed a bit too... weak to serve as a decent enemy for the Straw Hats as they are now. I mean, who's gonna fight him, Usopp? Although if it IS Morgan, then he's probably gotten stronger, and perhaps added weapons and abilities to his ax and iron jaw. So at the moment, my theories on the identity of Duval are: Morgan or Krieg, with Mr. 11 as my wild guess.

By the way, has anybody thought to compare Duval to the legendary French prisoner the Man in the Iron Mask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_in_the_Iron_Mask)? I don't really know much about him, I think, but I wonder if one of the defeated villains from One Piece is similar to the Man in the Iron Mask from history? Because if one of them is, then that person's chances of being Duval go WAY up.

Oh, and to those saying that Duval is Arlong: Arlong would NEVER work with humans. Never. Plus, Arlong had webbed fingers, (Oda even put a joke about that in the series (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/90/05/)), which Duval does NOT have, if you look at the drawing of his left hand on the last page of chapter 491 (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/19/). So Duval being Arlong seems completely impossible.

fallou
March 09, 2008, 05:11 PM
The man in the iron mask was a prisoner from the 17th century in Paris. No one knows why he was wearing that mask, but some say(and it's the most popular opinion) that it's because he was twin brother to king Louis the 14th. I don't believe this theory, it's more of a legend actually, but Oda sometime uses things from the real world(like Venitia for water 7, asian gods for Enel's priests, the legend of the dance powder) to include them(slighly modified) in OP. Now I don't see the common point between the famous prisoner and Duval, excepted for the name(Duval sounds a bit french)

Wale
March 09, 2008, 06:57 PM
like Venitia for water 7, asian gods for Enel's priests, the legend of the dance powder

Or Eminem for Enel :D

Mische
March 09, 2008, 08:20 PM
I was considering Duval being T-bone, since T-bone might have become twisted by Zoro's preventing him from fulfilling his life's purpose, i.e. protecting justice. But he leads a gang of slavers, and no matter HOW twisted he became, I can't see T-bone becoming a slaver. Waylaying ships and searching them by force if necessary, yes. Capturing people and selling them into slavery, no.

I think the probable theories are Morgan, (since Duval's left hand was shown, and Morgan's RIGHT hand was the ax. Plus, Morgan's face would also be a give away, due to his iron jaw, and Duval's face was also covered. And it would fit with what we know of Morgan's personality) or Don Krieg (Krieg also wore armor, and Luffy also shattered his dreams pretty badly.) But I don't know if Krieg would be strong enough to get all the way to the Red Line with his armada scattered and his armor shattered. And Morgan, seemed a bit too... weak to serve as a decent enemy for the Straw Hats as they are now. I mean, who's gonna fight him, Usopp? Although if it IS Morgan, then he's probably gotten stronger, and perhaps added weapons and abilities to his ax and iron jaw. So at the moment, my theories on the identity of Duval are: Morgan or Krieg, with Mr. 11 as my wild guess.

I totally agree about the part with T-Bone (although the helmet really is almost too alike). Thats neither a possibility in strengh nor in the way this character has been described!

Also i think that both creek and Morgan would be too weak to even give a good try on defeating the Sh´s. They would have to get an impressible power up to even come close to sanjis or zorros ability . I just want to add that both could have eaten a devils fruit by now which would leave some space for character development. Also both would fit into slavery buisness if you consider how they treated even their crew which should be closest to them.

Still I think it is someone we haven´t thought of so far but maybe thats just because i didn´t like any of the two and i still hope that we will have a nice surprise once Duval reveals himself!

PirateMusician
March 09, 2008, 08:57 PM
no-brainer long term prediction -- Luffy will kick the ass of whoever runs the slave trade -- probably Jimbei given fish-man attitudes towards weaker life forms.

Concerning the man in the mask... Anybody know what happens if a fish-man eats a devil's fruit? They couldn't swim anymore... so maybe they'd lose their fishiness? Alvida lost all her fat (and freckles) when she ate her devil's fruit, so Arlong could have turned "human" if he ate one. Which he would only have done to go and beat Luffy, and which would definitely have ruined his life...

Or maybe it's some guy whose girlfriend Sanji hit on at Baratie :p

fah
March 09, 2008, 10:05 PM
how come no body thinks its the guy that young luffy tried to defend the honor of shanks against. it would explain the mask covering scars caused by the sea king and also his hatred for luffy

Imitorar
March 09, 2008, 11:01 PM
Because Higuma was a weakling who was good at beating up 7 year olds. There is NO WAY that he was strong enough to reach the Red Line. Plus, he was eaten by a Sea King. That was made VERY obvious. And do you REALLY think that in 10 years Higuma wouldn't have tried to get revenge on Luffy? He doesn't seem the patient type.

w_nymph
March 10, 2008, 01:49 AM
no-brainer long term prediction -- Luffy will kick the ass of whoever runs the slave trade -- probably Jimbei given fish-man attitudes towards weaker life forms.

Hmm... I doubt that Jimbei will be the villian of this arc or something. I think that we might gain some insights on him or that he might appear as supporting character. It would be nice to just meet a Shichibukai without starting an allout war for a change. Also somehow I think that the fish-man attitude might be only an Arlong-thing, afterall Fishmanisland was said to be an underwater paradies and seems to be well visited. Maybe the Strawhats will try to go on vacation.

Concerning Duval I guess Morgan is the best bett. Creek would be possible but he doesn't seem the type for the slaving market (not that he isn't cruel enough but he doesn't seem smart enough in my eyes).

If one takes that Barouque like symbol in account I think it also could be that Mr. 07 that tried to recruit Zoro into BW (are there any pictures of him?).

Or it could be somebody who was connected to Arlong; kind of like Nezumi (though Nezumi got his 'revenge' by placing a bounty on Luffy)

Cyrus Drake
March 10, 2008, 04:35 AM
Like many of you, my initial thought was Morgan. But since reading all the predictions I'm beginning to think it's someone else. And the 'man on that ship' may not be Luffy.

Since he said man we can cross out the possibility of it being Nami or Robin he wanted. Chopper's too much of a little pipsqueak to be able to destroy someone's life but.. who knows?

Maybe it's Morgan but in that case how did he get so deep into the Grand Line faster than the Straw Hats?
For Don Krieg, if i remember correctly it was Mihawk who ruined his life. Even in the Baratie it was Mihawk who destroyed his only remaining ship. Had Mihawk not done that, surely Luffy couldn't defeat Krieg (at that time, at least).
T-Bone wouldn't go into the human slavery trade.
Arlong... You don't need me to explain;)
Kuro's too skinny.
Wapol went into the toy-making industry and is now dating Miss Universe (what a life,huh?).
Sir Crocodile and other Baroque Works members are in prison.
Bellamy's dead.
Enel's at the moon.
Luffy returned Foxy's crewmembers to him, so I don' think that's called 'destroying my life'. And he's too short.
I don't think any of the CP9 members fit into the armour.
Maybe one of the adults Zoro beat in the dojo in his past? Nah,,;). Could be some pirates he caught and claimed their bounties of?
Usopp hasn't caused much humiliation to the people he has defeated.
Might be someone Sanji offended in the North Blue.
Franky doesn't have a lot of enemies.
We don't know much about Brook and the pirates he fought in his previous lifetime.

Silhouette
March 10, 2008, 05:28 AM
1- Every villain the ST's fought had a crew, if it was Buggy or any other one defeated by Luffy then he should have his own crew with him instead of leading a bunch of different gangs while Morgan was all alone which makes him perfect for leading a bunch of a holes like himself.

2-This mystery guy is not the main villain. In all of OP arcs, the SH crew starts by fighting a minor "villain" so this mystery guy doesn't have to be very powerful (ie Morgan and the likes)

All of the besides what I posted before about not showing the masked man's right arm (or axe) and not having skin between the fingers (not Arlong) makes me think it's Morgan.

fallou
March 10, 2008, 06:01 AM
Morgan's a pretty logical choice, since he was the fist villain in OP, and now they've reached half GL(plus they've met helmeppo again) so yeah why not. Every clue fits, but there's one question: How could someone so weak reach Fishman Island, gather a crew and start a human trading business FASTER than the Mugiwaras?:blink don't get it

Silhouette
March 10, 2008, 07:22 AM
but there's one question: How could someone so weak reach Fishman Island, gather a crew and start a human trading business FASTER than the Mugiwaras?:blink don't get it

Good question

1- Morgan was on his way to Marines prison when he escaped from D. Garp, I would assume they were already close to where he is since the Marines don't have a problem crossing GL

2- If the fish-men who appeared so far are not so smart like the ones lead by Arlong then Morgan wouldn't have a problem recruiting them for his own especially with his violent and psychopathic character.

Freakzin
March 10, 2008, 07:58 AM
i don't remember who stated the possibility but has everyone forgot the possibility of Sarquis
Duval wears a coat somewhat like him, one of his mans looks like a guy that was from Bellamy's crew,
and some other fat guy looks like another old chap from Bellamy's crew, so it could be him

Mische
March 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
Edit: to keep the discussion up i´ll throw in another possibility!
this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/233/04/) dude from Bellamys pirate crew (pic in the middle on the left side) has a slight alikeness with the one guy (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/18/) from the flying fish riders who is recognizing the SH´s. He has the same earings and the shape of the face fits!They have a big guy (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/233/05/) too that looks alike to the one riding the fish in the middle.

Thats what i said about that two pages earlier. They really have an alikeness thats why i pointed that out but i must say that its only the guys that fit.Duvals appearance really doesn´t fit to any of them. The problem for me was mostly that i don´t see Sarquis in this armor. Actually after thinking about it he also isn´t the type for a first man. Maybe more like a (not too hard) enemy for Zorro since he was also using swords. Maybe its bellamy then (who knows if he really was dead) or someone else from that crew.
What really gave me that idea was the way Luffy was shown on the pic when the flying fish riders see that its the Sh´s. After all it was only Luffy himself who blew up their whole crew!

Still of course Morgan seems most likely at the moment (almost too likely ;))

Dice
March 10, 2008, 12:22 PM
About the thing that someone (especially Morgan) could be faster than the strawhats. There can be several reasons:
1. Like someone stated before he could have been traveling with the marines and escape since the marine can travel along the grand line quite easy.
2. He could have an eternal port
3. Skypia took some time, so did the save-Vivi's-country-arc.
4. An easier route

To Duval's identity:
Did you ever think that the "he did destroy my life"-thing isn't so serious. Maybe Luffy ate the supplies of some cook, maybe of Whiskey Peak. Or at least something similiar unserious XD
Somehow I got the feeling that Luffy won't remember him and that fact drives Duval crazy^^

Akasunanosasori
March 10, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hey oneoiece fans !!!
I just wanted to informe u that u are welcom on our sig shop !!!

CLEAR
March 10, 2008, 02:43 PM
First, I also thought that it could be one of the enemys before the SH went to Grand Line, but all those (like Creek or Kuro) are much too weak, even with training.

I was brainstorming and the resultat is that I realised, that we barely know anything about Zoro's past (we know about Nico Robin -> flight of the WG; Franky was always at WS; Brooke is "perhaps" a second candidate, but I don't think so; Nami was at the Arlong Park; Sanji was always at the Baraterie; Usopp stayed on his island until the SH showed up; Chopper is too honest and good to damage so, perhaps even too weak, and he was always with Dr. Kuela; finally, I think it's not Ruffy who's meant, cause I think it's someone unknown and until the whole story began he was always at his hometown).

All we know about Zoro is his childhood-promis to Kuina that one of them will be the world's best swordman. I think it's one enemy, Zoro defeated while he was a bounty hunter, because we still have a huge gap from Zoro's childhood till his joining into the SH-crew.

I think it could be nezumi

theplagy
March 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
hey hey

anyone consider bellamy?

but i still think it's morgan

Akainu
March 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
after reading another translation (stephen from ap) which I personally think is a little bit better than the ones used for scanlation purposes, its not even clear, that the Duval guy has a direct connection to the SH, just that he wants to revenge the guy who ruined his life and that he therefore wants to use the strawhats...
well oh well I'm not going to convince anyone here eh?

fallou
March 10, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well you might convince me but I'd believe pretty much anything so...I'm kidding that's a way to interprete things(and that could be it) but I think most people'd like to see some old foe make his comeback. And the mask could be there to hide from someone(like if Bellamy actually survived, he wouldn't want Doflamingo to find out about it, hence: the mask)

luffy_boy
March 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
I think that Duval is that mountain bandit. I could have survived the attack of the Sea-king and he now wants to take revenge on luffy, maybe has become stronger by eating a devilfruit.

Andytheass
March 10, 2008, 03:29 PM
I Think that the part about the Duvals gang just "recently" showing up in the area and making trouble is another hint.

And that hint points to someone recently defeated by the SH's i.e. T-bone.

fallou
March 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
I gave some thoughts to Aikanu's post, and he could be right: maybe the man who ruined his life isn't on the 1000 sunny, but one of the SH's could be the key to his revenge. That really doesn't sound stupid to me. Can't wait for the spoilers...Does anyone know when they'll be online?
Now don't be mad at me for making, random, hazardous and seemingly stupid predictions but: let's imagine it's Sarquiss or Bellamy under the mask.Couldn't it lead to a fight with Doflamingo?That bastard seems to be the strongest Shichibukai(exept for mihawk, and maybe the unknown one(by the way do we have any clues about the guy.I m curious about it))And Doflamingo's a bastard alright, and with an ability like his, things could get ugly, dramatic, epic and...and, well, you know, OP like(fights between Sanji and Zoro, the SH's being pulled to an ultimate nkamaship test)I know it's unlikely, random, but man that'd be awesome.Sorry if this post is too stupid,but,well you know, it's OP, and anything can happen. I ain't a great prediction wizard so if it's too absurd,I'll erase that post:(...Or maybe I won't...kyaa kyaa kyaa :D:p)

phurantsu
March 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
Okay, this might sound really strange: Couldn't Duval be Blackbeard? If you take a closer look at his Helmet in the last panel, you'll see tiny shadows creeping over it. And he has been going after the strawhats quite some time now. Duval could be his alias, so the WG doesn't find out how he makes additional money, cause i'm sure it is pretty damn illegal to trade slaves and he has to be obedient to become a Shichibukai. That is why he is wearing his helmet, too.

so, why did the straw hats ruin his life? No Clue... Maybe it has something to do with ace, maybe he didnt want all that attention, maybe he didnt want to become a WG pet, i guess he would be a pretty good emporor (like in 1 of the 4 emporors)

oh well, the pic just reminded me of him
[hr]
Here is one more thing:

Take a look at the flag above the headquarters of the flying fish whatever: That looks soo much like arlongs flag.....and he commands Fishmen.

I know that his hand doesnt look like the one of arlong, but couldn't it be Kiss oder the Karate-Fishguy?

Imitorar
March 10, 2008, 11:23 PM
Hm... Now I find that I'm leaning towards either Bellamy (that guy really DOES look like Sarquiss, we never DID get confirmation of his death, and it WOULD be nice to tie that plot-line up a bit. The references to other villains could be to throw us off, or there could be reasons for them.) or Morgan. The more I think about this, the more other possibilities seem to make sense to me.

garaa89
March 11, 2008, 02:16 AM
it could be the black cats captin

Mogeking
March 11, 2008, 02:44 AM
Kuro, if he were able to would have created a much greater scheme than to just lie in waitiong for the SH's to come by. there is no way it would be him

Lamah
March 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
Only one i come to think of due to the armor apperance of this "new" character is Don krieg (or how you spelled his name :P ), and just from a logical view i dont think its bellamy since how would a "spring man" move around/use his abilities if he had a armor covering his body ? ;)

Freakzin
March 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
i don't think it's Bellamy i think it's Sarquiss, but you could say the same thing about, he wore that armor on TB and used his power just fine; so it's not a reason why it couldn't be Bellamy.

Mische
March 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
Only one i come to think of due to the armor apperance of this "new" character is Don krieg (or how you spelled his name :P ), and just from a logical view i dont think its bellamy since how would a "spring man" move around/use his abilities if he had a armor covering his body ? ;)

Well but bellamys legs speeded him up quite much, The shape of the helmet implifies speed to me. Didn´t he have a cut in his face done by Sarquise under don flamingos control? Maybe that last strike we didn´t see deformed his face so it could be that this is what he means when he said "ruined his life". This could also be the reason for him wearing that mask! Thats of course a wild guess but i would say that speed combined with high weight would give a lot of power!
At least his ability doesn´t necessarily makes it impossible for him to wear an armor since his feed might not be covered by it!

Vegetoacs
March 11, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just a question I have about the 491. Why does Nami seem to know Hacchin? Or at least relate him to someone?

I've gotta say, i'm a little stuck with Duval. Given he doesn't specify which male member of the SH destroyed his life, just says that "he" destroyed my life....

I'd say it could be likely that it's someone we've met before rather than a new character, given Duval's been searching for a specific ship to go along with a specific crew. I think we initially connected this one to Arlong psychologically because we're thinking about merepeople in general for this current arc, but as the speculations thus far have given fairly reasonable evidence, it's pretty reasonable to rule him out.

I doubt it's Morgan. While morgan might make a bit of sense given we saw Colby and Helmeppo in the chapters bridging the water seven and thriller bark arcs, I doubt this is another resurgence of that first short arc. Morgan was a very arrogant man. It was intergral to his character. He liked to boss people around because he was captain morgan. So I can't see such an arrogant person wanting to hide his identity within full armour.

I dont believe it's bellamy, as i'm fairly sure he was killed. Plus, his ability required him to have his legs free, given that he was a spring-legged man. Of course, Duval might not be wearing platelegs....but then platemail and full helm seems a tad odd.... :S

For this one, i'm kinda leaning towards Kreig if we're assuming this is a former nemisis. He was noted as a particularly unhanded villian given he used a lot of dirty tricks to acheive his ends, so i can see him in the slave trade, and obviously was a reasonably charismatic pirate recruiter if he was able to originally muster over 5000 men to take to grand line, so he is at least a reasonable candidate for someone who could have brought together a band of slavers. Plus he's got the same build as Duval. Where this one falls over is that Mihawk ruined his life far more than the strawhats, so even though he would possibly be fixated on luffy, given he finished what mihawk started, although it's far more likely he'd bear a larger grudge on Mihawk.

That all said, it's quite possible this is a new enemy that originated from one of the male crew-member's past. We dont know a great deal about Zoro's time as a pirate hunter, or Franky's time between when he left water seven as a human and when he became a cyborg due to CP9's train. Sanji and Ussop are unlikely given they lived fairly average lives before they became SH. Also, I get the feeling Oda likes creating new villians rather than retaining old ones, unless they're shichbukai or some-such. Usually his villian sendoffs are done with miniarc's on the front covers, as we all know and love :P

Whatever the case, I loved the previous chapter, and i'm kinda liking the direction Oda's going with this.....even if i was surprised with the amount of Surprised/Crazy faces he drew in 491 :P

Akainu
March 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Just a question I have about the 491. Why does Nami seem to know Hacchin? Or at least relate him to someone?

wait a moment ... I didn't read the rest of your post but you're joking right?
that would be the only reason for me reading on...

anyway: Nami as well as Sanji and Zoro not only seem to know Hachan. Luffy and Usopp should know Hachan too as he was part of Arlongs crew. The very same crew that held Namis whole hometown hostage...

bax
March 14, 2008, 11:55 AM
Get chapter 492 HERE (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27342)!!

Looks like it's getting interesting! Still, who is Duval?
Come here and predict!!

smokewolf89
March 14, 2008, 12:00 PM
Duval: Just thinkin' about dat man...... sets dis wound on my back... / ...dis great big wound, throbbin' like all hell...!!!
quote from duval makes me think two things
1. he is after zoro and not luffy
2.he isnt after anyone on the 1000 sunny

Punky fish
March 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
i would bet my head to arlong, the mask is probably there, because luffy broke his nose Do you remember what kind of hands arlong has?

Akainu
March 14, 2008, 12:31 PM
one great chapter!
although I'm a bit angry about Oda not revealing Duval yet as that will just prolong the discussions but to add my share on that matter: I really don't think we have seen someone with a harpoon, long hair(?) and a wound on the back yet who is connected to the strawhats.

btw.: does anyone know why all of those fishpeople have this damned sun tattoo? (i.e. arlong & crew, the macro-gang and even tom afair)

garaa89
March 14, 2008, 12:38 PM
duval does not look like a normal size human and also has a scar in his stomach so i dont think we have seen him before. maybe we will get to see his face wend luffy breaks his mask.

Flacks
March 14, 2008, 12:41 PM
Well, we at least know now that Duval isn't someone we've met. He said he's been waiting for this for years, and according to Oda they've been travelling together for about 7 months.

Monkeyshank
March 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
Well Dis anyone find it weird that duval when angry had a different accent and that his crew was worried about it and they also referred to him as head, maybe this is a character who used to be small and go really big and his head stayed small, can anyone think of a character with that accent?

Akainu
March 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
I predict a lotta fun for the mugiwaras beating up the flying fish riders and then well then ... that will be somewhen after next chapter.

ascalon
March 14, 2008, 01:36 PM
He talked about a wound on his back. Whoever Duval is he must've fought and suffered an injury or blow to his back from one of the strawhats. So which of the past villians applies? It'd probably be one that was defeated by a finishing blow to the back.
[hr]

Well, we at least know now that Duval isn't someone we've met. He said he's been waiting for this for years, and according to Oda they've been travelling together for about 7 months.

OOH, good point.

slippy
March 14, 2008, 02:21 PM
i have no idea who it is, kinda looks like sarquiss but he also looks really big, but if this guy has been waiting for this person for a long time, longer than luffy has been at sea, is it possible he is after someone aboard the old strawhat's ship? shanks ship?

ChristopherE
March 14, 2008, 02:26 PM
I found this chapter to be pretty damn good.

shouryuujo
March 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
what about Don Krieg? From the stature it seems to fit.

kickrox
March 14, 2008, 03:02 PM
i have no idea who it is, kinda looks like sarquiss but he also looks really big, but if this guy has been waiting for this person for a long time, longer than luffy has been at sea, is it possible he is after someone aboard the old strawhat's ship? shanks ship?

Exacty, the guy looks like he's related to WhiteBeard he's so big.
I'm not sure the SH have ever faced someone with Duvals size.
Except maybe the bear Shichibukai guy. At any rate, his size is just too big for him to be anyone like, belami, or buggy or any of the other normal sized villains. I'm thinking its someone connected in a way to the SH, but that hasn't actually met them.

Saintz0r
March 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think Duval is a new character. Maybe someone from zoro's past?
Next chapter will have fight, though I don't think any of the fish riders is the same level as SH :P

Non-Life
March 14, 2008, 04:57 PM
Have all the shicibukai been mentioned? Remember there are seven:
1. Crocodile---replaced by Blackbeard
2. Don Flamingo
3. Mihawk
4. Kuma
5. Jimbei
6. Moria

Could Duval be the seventh? That would surprise me, cause he sounds like an idiot who's overwhelmed by his own anger. I hope he's somebody Luffy knew before setting out on his pirate quest, because a grudge that lasted that long would be perfect with his southern style of talkin'. Anyway, the further I got into the chapter, the more interesting it got. I hope this ends well, for the fans' sake. (And when the crew mentioned the base looked like a village built on water, I kept thinkin' of "Waterworld" before I thought of Ocean 7, or wherever Franky came from).

Akainu
March 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
I don't believe Oda would just throw out the next shichibukai right after the end of the previous. I mean they already fought 4(!) could win against 2 and one of them even got fired. not that it isn't possible it's oda after all and its more creative than all the don krieg fans but its highly unlikely.

oh and your waterworld comparison totally fits even with the ffr hiding underwater for attack. good find! perhaps there is even more to it *gone researching* ;)

Mogeking
March 14, 2008, 05:51 PM
what if duval is actually Gon after escaping from the box? just a crazy thought...

Vizard5
March 14, 2008, 06:10 PM
Duval said he had been waiting for years.. we haven't followed the SH's for a year yet so it will not be some1 familiar.. some1 in the SH'crew has given him a scar on his back so that increases the chances of it being zoro or brook he's after.. and the FF-riders seem quite confident in themselves about fighting the Straw hats so they are either very strong (which i doubt) or they don't know much about the SH's current strenght..

ascalon
March 14, 2008, 07:54 PM
Exacty, the guy looks like he's related to WhiteBeard he's so big.
I'm not sure the SH have ever faced someone with Duvals size.
Except maybe the bear Shichibukai guy. At any rate, his size is just too big for him to be anyone like, belami, or buggy or any of the other normal sized villains. I'm thinking its someone connected in a way to the SH, but that hasn't actually met them.

Darnit, did you not read the last arc? Moria was huge too.
[hr]
Hay, I've got a new theory!

This guy is looking for straw hat right? Hes been looking for years for him, not within a time frame Luffy would be making enemies in. I think this guy Duval might be mistaking Luffy for Shanks! Think about it, years ago Shanks used to wear that straw hat. Plus, Duval and his crew seem to know nothing about Luffy's crew or his reputation, so they could be making that mistake.

black_crow
March 14, 2008, 08:57 PM
This chapter was so good!
especially the ending

Maybe Duval met luffy before luffy met his crew. I hope there is a back story to this :)

but what i dont get is duval says that his back was hurt, but luffy doesnt use weapons(besides his body) so how could he have recieved a wound from luffy that would last years ithout a weapon?

Mr.Popo
March 14, 2008, 08:58 PM

I think this guy Duval might be mistaking Luffy for Shanks! Think about it, years ago Shanks used to wear that straw hat. Plus, Duval and his crew seem to know nothing about Luffy's crew or his reputation, so they could be making that mistake.

Shanks! That's an interesting idea. I like it.
Yet Another Strawhat and no chance to win. Poor Duval.

Wolfshadow
March 14, 2008, 10:13 PM
Could it be that mountain bandit guy from the first chapter? I know he got swallowed whole by that sea monster, but all kind of stories have people living through that, like Jona or Gippeto. And it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that he'd get some kind of injury on his back from all that. Any way, he's the only one that I can think of that would be holding a grudge for "years".

wing_gundam
March 14, 2008, 10:28 PM
I thought about waterworld too! lol Even have the half man/fish :D

And to the ppl who think it's about Shank's crew... two reasons why I doubt that:

1) I'm pretty sure he's always been the "Red haired pirates". Who would change their name and flag just cuz they got rid of it? well it could happen with Luffy, but I think they would stay the Strawhat crew forever.

2) someone confirmed the man they were looking for was currently on the boat.

The only way then for that to be wrong is if they confused Ussop with Yassop which could be possible, but I think it's pretty slim.

darkghaleon
March 15, 2008, 12:19 AM
From what I gather it is either Don Krieg or some unknown/random person (maybe the bandit from Luffy's past when he was a kid?). It can't be Buggy because he isn't that big or that muscular. It's not Arlong b/c he doesn't have webbed fingers. It's not T-bone b/c he wouldn't hold a grudge (and wasn't his body all messed up b/c he always sacrificed his body to help others? Not the kind of person to want revenge if you ask me). It's not Bellamy b/c I think he was killed by Don Flamingo (although Bellamy was pretty tall so it may be him, we all know how Oda hates to actually kill off his characters). I don't think it's Morgan b/c he had an axe-hand and this guy clearly has both hands (at least he did in the anime, I never actually read those chapters so maybe it was different in the manga). This guy also seems super strong like Don Krieg so that's probably your best bet, but Oda does like to throw a curve ball every now and again so it might just be someone who had a very small part in One Piece. This will be debated until the mask finally comes off...

Reading back over the chapter I am convinced that this guy Duval doesn't hold a grudge against Luffy. It must be someone else in his crew. He never mentions Luffy's name and having it be someone else in the SC would be just the kind of surprise that Oda is known for. Wouldn't it be great if the guy had a grudge against Usopp? That would make this whole "revenge" thing hilarious.

renrutal
March 15, 2008, 01:18 AM
Forget major enemies, he isn't any of them.

To be honest, I have no idea. I can't think about anyone who spoke in country/folk dialect in One Piece, maybe weird laughs and anime voice, but nothing other than that.

I'd say he is a very irrelevant character earlier in the series, if not a completely new guy.

darkghaleon
March 15, 2008, 02:02 AM
I think this next chapter will obviously have a fight with Duval's henchmen and the Strawhat crew owning them. I get the feeling that Duval probably won't reveal his identity yet, but he'll probably confront/reveal who it is he has a grudge against. It would be seriously funny if it was Usopp!

s c i p i o 7
March 15, 2008, 06:35 AM
Don Krieg is gone...can't be him
it's true that he's tall and all but I dont know about coming back to story
he's too weak to be in the grandline

on 2nd thought ..
could it be Enel ..God Enel??

Tobi Uchiha
March 15, 2008, 07:34 AM
Na, i thougt Enel is still on the moon?!

Megy
March 15, 2008, 08:45 AM
Just watch. It'll be the leader of the bandits from chapter 1 and he's actually looking for Shanks.

Though I like the predictions that it's someone from Zoro's past, and if it were Usopp I'd laugh my ass off.

Vizard5
March 15, 2008, 08:52 AM
duval is a "human giant" like whitebeard, kuma, moria and the 3 franky house guys.. it can't be some1 from east blue.. and if it is it's not some1 we already know.. he have waited for years he said, we haven't followed the SH for a full year yet..

if it wasn't for that he said "that MAN" i would have thought it were robin he's after.. but since it is a man i would way it is eigher Franky, brook or zoro.. but the more i think about it the more confused i get so i'll just leave it threre...

Akainu
March 15, 2008, 09:20 AM
after a night full of research and not enough will to watch a trash movie (^^) I think Duval has only one eye (though that would be kinda too obvious).

in terms of 'that man' on board: anyone considered a stowaway yet? that'd be a twist.

ryusuke_
March 15, 2008, 09:56 AM
Just watch. It'll be the leader of the bandits from chapter 1 and he's actually looking for Shanks.

Though I like the predictions that it's someone from Zoro's past, and if it were Usopp I'd laugh my ass off.

But that guy was eaten by a sea monster, and by that time he was not enough strong to beat that monster from insied and come outside.

I still believe it's someone Asce and Luffy fought against in their childhood days, it's not an impossible idea that those 2 may had done something dark (after discovering some secret or something...).

Kikuna992
March 15, 2008, 10:47 AM
Everyones said Duval is Morgan, and I thought so to because it looks like Zorro cuts him in the back in volume 1 pg166, but I just realised, that it can't be him because hes got a massive axe on his arm?! its not just stuck on, its embedded in his arm so unless he got a new arm it CANT be Morgan

Tobi Uchiha
March 15, 2008, 11:23 AM
The bandit doesn't fit the size of duval! Duval is a huuuge guy and the bandit wasn't. AND he got eaten by that seaking, for me he is dead.

gbgej
March 15, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hello :) first time posting here thought it was time to finnaly join in for the discussions about the coming chapter/chapters. And my conclusion is the following :

This Duval guy must be someone we havnt heard of, the only possible one might be the MR.7 guy zoro did beat up when he tried to be reqruited. And since he have been waiting for years he cant have possibly been in any of the chapters since from what i remember we have only been following the straw hats for about 1 year.

Back to Duval, in 492 he said that every time he thinks of the strawhats the scars on his back starts to hurt (dont remember the exact phrase). And if we look at the different peoples fighting styles, it is only Zoro that leaves scars and brook, but brook have only been with the strawhats for about 1 week, there is no way anyone can know that brook is in the strawhats crew yet. It might be from Ruffys and Aces time when they were small and lived in their home town, so it might be some child ruffy and ace got into a fight with, even though both Ace and Ruffy were strong i find it wierd that is could have been some adult they did beat up, so my best guess is that its someone from Zoros past, and it would be nice to finnaly get to know some more about him :)

Then to Duvals power, since its from someones past he must have been outside the grand line, wich means he have gotten just as far as the strawhats in the grand line, ofc he cant possibly have had the same fights as the strawhats but my guess is that he is most likley a quite dangerous man even though his crew seems quite weak. (though when i think about it that octupus man from Arlongs crew is there and i doubt he have gotten all that much stronger :P)

Anyways this was all for me :)

Absolutio
March 15, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hello :) first time posting here thought it was time to finnaly join in for the discussions about the coming chapter/chapters. And my conclusion is the following :

This Duval guy must be someone we havnt heard of, the only possible one might be the MR.7 guy zoro did beat up when he tried to be reqruited. And since he have been waiting for years he cant have possibly been in any of the chapters since from what i remember we have only been following the straw hats for about 1 year.

Back to Duval, in 492 he said that every time he thinks of the strawhats the scars on his back starts to hurt (dont remember the exact phrase). And if we look at the different peoples fighting styles, it is only Zoro that leaves scars and brook, but brook have only been with the strawhats for about 1 week, there is no way anyone can know that brook is in the strawhats crew yet. It might be from Ruffys and Aces time when they were small and lived in their home town, so it might be some child ruffy and ace got into a fight with, even though both Ace and Ruffy were strong i find it wierd that is could have been some adult they did beat up, so my best guess is that its someone from Zoros past, and it would be nice to finnaly get to know some more about him :)

Then to Duvals power, since its from someones past he must have been outside the grand line, wich means he have gotten just as far as the strawhats in the grand line, ofc he cant possibly have had the same fights as the strawhats but my guess is that he is most likley a quite dangerous man even though his crew seems quite weak. (though when i think about it that octupus man from Arlongs crew is there and i doubt he have gotten all that much stronger :P)

Anyways this was all for me :)

First of all, welcome!
2nd of all, I agree with you!
But in regards to Luffy, as you said, it's doubtful that some grownup is helding so much grudge against him for years. Luffy's past is more or less known, but Zoro's as a bounty hunter has much more potential for enemies (and scars), therefore I assume that it's someone who holds a grudge against Zoro.
[hr]
Also, luffy only set out as a pirate "this" year, so it's impossible for someone to wait for him for years, since Luffy didn't start traveling around the world (as zoro did) for more than a year.
[hr]
also luffy only set out to travel "this" year, and therefore it's impossible that someone was waiting for him for years, since luffy was only in his small island-town. But Zoro was traveling for a long time before he met luffy, so it's only logical that this someone is waiting for him.

kickrox
March 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
Darnit, did you not read the last arc? Moria was huge too.
Oops, I forgot about him, but only because I was thinking in terms of earlier past villains. :)

mars0103
March 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
There are three possiblitys who he is after.
Franky
zolo
luffy
finding out this would be a help.
if luffy the bandit
zolo that slash is a trademark of his never attack from the back
or franky ?

Vizard5
March 15, 2008, 03:49 PM
if it were franky he's after he's pretty stupid waiting for him for years when he could find him in water7 all along.. it's prolly zoro, but then again it's prolly not.. cause Oda always suprises me.. :p

Pirulito
March 15, 2008, 05:08 PM
Zoro cuts Morgan in front... see better the scene.

About the chapter, takoyaki eyes was so funny... hahahahaha... Luffy is a great character, no doubt about it.

Griffith
March 15, 2008, 05:50 PM

If you reread the chapter it says his name is Higuma, also he was eaten....that's where the scar would have come from, but still, if he's strong enough to be at this part of the manga he should have been able to dodge or fight the seaking, so either he's changed his name and is a gag villain before Jinbei or he's someone we just don't know about.

Neuroff
March 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
Duval is HUGE, what's with all these predictions about him being a normal sized person (Morgan, Krieg, bandit from ch1, etc.)?

kigai
March 15, 2008, 06:26 PM
If Duval is someone from Zoro's past im going with this guy Dick the Bandit from ep 135.

http://i30.tinypic.com/4l3s4i.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/f3hnja.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/hv751k.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2q38ba9.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/240wvie.jpg

We know duval carry's a weapon/harpoon gun and this guy carried a bazooka of some sort. Duval does mention a scar on his back or something like that so im probly wrong buy you never know.:p
[hr]

If you reread the chapter it says his name is Higuma, also he was eaten....that's where the scar would have come from, but still, if he's strong enough to be at this part of the manga he should have been able to dodge or fight the seaking, so either he's changed his name and is a gag villain before Jinbei or he's someone we just don't know about.

I just reread the chapter but cant seem to find where he mentions about him being eaten or his name being Higuma? could u tell me what page he say's this on?

Cheers:D

Luckas
March 15, 2008, 06:28 PM
@kigai the guy you mention is an anime only character, so it is highly improbable he would appear in the manga.

And if Duval scar is in his back, I can't see Zoro slashing someone from behind.

kigai
March 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
Oh yer!!! i forgot about the anime filters arn't part of the manga.... stupid me XD

Plus when i think about it that duval guys semi giantish and i cant think of anyone that fits duval's profile.

Thanks Luckas for correcting my stupid mistake much apreshiated!!

Mogeking
March 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
that's just it! Zoro has a personal moral code that would never allow himself to slash someone from the back.
[hr]
There is a possibility that this dude will have to explain why he is connected to whomever he hates, because it will be someine we have not seen before.

Absolutio
March 15, 2008, 07:13 PM
If Duval is someone from Zoro's past im going with this guy Dick the Bandit from ep 135.

http://i30.tinypic.com/4l3s4i.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/f3hnja.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/hv751k.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2q38ba9.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/240wvie.jpg

We know duval carry's a weapon/harpoon gun and this guy carried a bazooka of some sort. Duval does mention a scar on his back or something like that so im probly wrong buy you never know.:p
<hr noshade size="1">

I just reread the chapter but cant seem to find where he mentions about him being eaten or his name being Higuma? could u tell me what page he say's this on?

Cheers:D

@kigai the guy you mention is an anime only character, so it is highly improbable he would appear in the manga.

And if Duval scar is in his back, I can't see Zoro slashing someone from behind.

Oh yer!!! i forgot about the anime filters arn't part of the manga.... stupid me XD

Plus when i think about it that duval guys semi giantish and i cant think of anyone that fits duval's profile.

Thanks Luckas for correcting my stupid mistake much apreshiated!!

There's no reason that this person can't be this bandit. Everything is a possibility, even if it's an anime filler, Oda might take the animators ideas, the same as he takes his assistants ideas. It's clearly a possibility and not a stupid mistake, so no need to feel stupid. If Oda can take meterials from cover pages, seemingly "filler" meterial, he can do the same with the anime's.

And about the slash in the back - Getting hit from behind is a disgrace for the hitten one. If this guy is not a swordsman or something, I don't see any reason for it to be impossible that Zoro indeed cut him.

omniscientone
March 16, 2008, 12:20 PM
Well, regarding a stowaway, I highly doubt that theres any way that Duval knows it before even the Mugiwara's do, and if its someone who cut Duval, I doubt it would be the type who hides....

My bets on Franky, since we kinda know Zoro, Sanji and Usopp's back stories.

ascalon
March 16, 2008, 12:39 PM
Note Franky.

garaa89
March 16, 2008, 01:44 PM
this is off topic but i alwayse wanted to see luffy fight somebody who also eaten the gum-gum fruit maybe he will fight somebody like that in the new world.

zelllogan
March 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think that the one Duval is looking for is Sanji. Sanji is the only one in the crew who have almost no background (we just know what happened to him when he was a kid) and sanji is also the one who joined the fastest.

Another thing, how could someone that was defeated before by someone of the crew be a threat to the crew now ????? My guess is that the one who beated Duval was Zeff. Duval hitting on a girl ---> Sanji comes ---> they fight ---> Sanji lost ---> Zeff beat duval.

The other possibility is usopp. I really don't see anyone else.

Zoro-kun
March 16, 2008, 02:12 PM
hmm, i think this "duval-thing" is very obvious.. :) Duval is PANDAMAN!!

nah, it cant be anyone from the past, no one that we know... Oda is trying to trick us by saying "that man" (we think: zoro!) wound on the back (zoro is the only with swords!) and then we think it's Morgan... but he has a AXEHAND FFS it cant be him =) so pls just w8 for the new chapter to come out, and maybe in some chapters we may know who he is.. :) personally i think he's just a random guy and will lead them to merman Island...

Crivizzi
March 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
and what about the man who was eaten by a sea king when shanks lost his arm?

Vizard5
March 16, 2008, 04:00 PM
and what about the man who was eaten by a sea king when shanks lost his arm?

he's been mentioned at least 5 times.. but unfortunatly he's dead.. u said it yourself he was eaten! and he's not big enaugh, and he wouldn't survive in the grand line for more than a week..

unless it's whitebeard, kuma, moria or one of the Kairiki Destroyers in the franky family, it is a new character.. but it's really no point in saying this cause in 5 post or so some1 it gonna find out that it must be the bandit from luffys past!!!!1!:notrust

Vizard5
March 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
this is off topic but i alwayse wanted to see luffy fight somebody who also eaten the gum-gum fruit maybe he will fight somebody like that in the new world.

sorry to disapoint you but there can not be any other who have eaten teh gomu no mi, cause there is only one of each sort of devil fruits..

i still think it is Zoro, he's the only scar giving character on the ship, (well Brook is to but, Duval couldn't have known he was on the SH ship..) and he has the scar on his back so it might have something to do with why Zoro as a swordman refuses to have a scar on his back...

it might also be that noone in the crew have actually met Duval but they have done something that have indirectly harmed Duval in some way..
the only thing that makes me doubt it is a new character is ofcourse the mask..

kigai
March 16, 2008, 05:10 PM
We dont really know the background of some characters, so like most ppl have been saying most probly a new character. I Would hate if it turned out to be some guy who has allready been beaten up before that to me it would spoil the whole mystery of duval..... :D

wing_gundam
March 16, 2008, 09:58 PM
I know that nobody has the same df abilities yet and its been a caveat of OP so as to not rank people just on abilities (and to stay away from human pokemon) but I don't think is actually law, yet.

They talk about the rareity of df's, especially the black black fruit (Yami Yami no Mi). It's supposed to be the rarest . But to be rare, that implies that others are more common and if there is only one of each then they are all equally rare.

And there is the fact that people KNOW what the fruits are in advance for the most part. There are books on what they look like and can do right, so people have to have thus seen them before and documented it. You can't call it the gomu gomu no mi without knowing what it is... Theres certainly no label!

wing_gundam
March 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
duval = filler :)

though i also thought moria = filler and that lasted a year of OUR time so you never know.

Imitorar
March 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
Oda answered that in the SBS for volume 48. There's only one Devil Fruit of each AT ONE TIME. Meaning that as long as Luffy lives (I suppose it's lives, it might depend on something else), there cannot be another Gum Gum Fruit, but there can be after he dies. Oda basically said the Devil Fruits will be explained when the Straw Hats meet Vegapunk much later in the story. And I don't remember them saying that the Dark Dark Fruit was the rarest, just that Blackbeard thinks it's the strongest.

wing_gundam
March 16, 2008, 10:13 PM
Oda answered that in the SBS for volume 48. There's only one Devil Fruit of each AT ONE TIME. Meaning that as long as Luffy lives (I suppose it's lives, it might depend on something else), there cannot be another Gum Gum Fruit, but there can be after he dies. Oda basically said the Devil Fruits will be explained when the Straw Hats meet Vegapunk much later in the story. And I don't remember them saying that the Dark Dark Fruit was the rarest, just that Blackbeard thinks it's the strongest.

Thanks,

On the side, this might be a little toilet humour, but for there to only be one at a time, and for the system to know when someone's died...

Imitorar
March 16, 2008, 10:17 PM
Not "filler", more "introduction", like Laboon, Jaya, and the Davy Back Fight. The Duval arc won't last beyond chapter 500, I think.

Well, the theory that Duval is Morgan is officially wrong. And I don't think it could be Bellamy or Krieg or anyone else from Luffy's past shown already, because I don't remember any of them getting a wound on the back that would cause a scar. That would point to Zoro, and since he was fighting for at least a few months before he joined Luffy, it would make sense for Duval to be an old opponent of his. Franky is also a possibility, as he is more or less the only other Straw Hat with a lot of fights in his past, and a fighting style that could cause some scars. Those shoes look very familiar though, but I can't think of from where...The only thing to do now is wait to see how Oda ties this together. It will be nice to see a Battle Royale with the whole crew supporting each other's fights again, I loved it last time. Maybe they'll actually use the Giant Robo Combination this time, since Luffy's there...

Wolfshadow
March 16, 2008, 10:37 PM
Had an idea, haven't really thought it through much, but anyway... What about the scary-looking, nice guy marine captain that they fought on the way to Enis Lobby? He seems to fit when I think about it, so what do you guys think?

Imitorar
March 16, 2008, 11:08 PM
T-bone? Nah, almost everybody rejected him last week. And think about it, Duval's personality doesn't seem to match T-bone's AT ALL. I don't see how in three weeks, T-bone could become this corrupt. And Duval made it seem like he's been waiting for alot longer then three weeks.

Wale
March 16, 2008, 11:47 PM
I don't see how in three weeks, T-bone could become this corrupt. And Duval made it seem like he's been waiting for alot longer then three weeks.

Three weeks? Who said, that since Enies Lobby passed three weeks?

Wale
March 16, 2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe they'll actually use the Giant Robo Combination this time, since Luffy's there...

And they have now Brook too! ;) Maybe they make now Giant Robo Cimbination Gear 2 with Brook and Luffy. : DD

IgnorantSage
March 17, 2008, 03:57 AM
I'm not too familiar with the OP timeline but didn't the Baroque Works try to hire Zoro?
Didn't Zoro refuse and killed (injured?) the agent sent to hire him?

There is a possibility that this is the same agent, Mr. 6, that Zoro thought he offed long ago. It's only a speculation though.

Superman
March 17, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hello there.

Mr. T-Bone is Duval.

Look at the helm http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/371/14/ and look at duvals helm http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/492/04/ he is just a little tall i think he was smaller back then, but i dunno.
And he never mentioned that he will kill luffy oda gave us a wrong scent where the flying fishes attack sunny go.
BUT THIS WILL BE ZOROS FIGHT.

brebaz
March 17, 2008, 07:20 AM
^^^
And if MR. T-bone is Duval why would he abandon the way of the sword ?

And Zoro didn't cut him in the back it was a front confrontation!!!

T-bone is not Duval.

Superman
March 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
Its way esier to shoot someone from a distance instead of cutting one with a sword.T-Bone has no chance with a sword he is not stupid.
Didn`t Zoro broke T-Bones sword and no one saw where Zoro cut him.
Thats why it would be cool if luffy has a gun and a sword.
He is the captain he has to train himlelf, but thats another thing....

Duval looks way too tall or he is like franky and gave himself a fake body.

garaa89
March 17, 2008, 07:55 AM
maybe Spandam but i dont know because i did not read the CP9 arc.

Akainu
March 17, 2008, 08:01 AM
yes they look somewhat alike. the helmet: although t-bone had 4 and duval has 3 crosses + the flame design is there but here too looks different. the shoes well somehow too. I#m not talking about size because we never really saw t-bone in comparison to a strawhat but he must be kinda big though he seemed fat and not athletic like duval.

BUT: why should t-bone whos sole purpose of life is to protect innocent people become a criminal ? why use harpoons instead of his sword? just because he was beaten by zoro??? thats a bit much isn't it?
they are almost exactly opposite ... so perhaps a evil twin? dunno but t-bone himself is not a so logical choice imo

Superman
March 17, 2008, 08:29 AM
1) EEEHHHHH your right he is by the marines i totally forgot that.
2) His sword is broken and now he use harpoons :p....if i think about it who the fuck use some stupid harpoons what were you thinking Oda?
3) Yes
4) No :D
5) Maybe

Now i see it in a different light.

It is ...... ENEL :woot :wtf

Absolutio
March 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
It's not possible to be T-Bone for several reasons.
Duval is waiting for YEARS, while enies lobby happend roughly 2 weeks ago? T-Bone won't need a ranged weapon since he can range-cut things with his sword like he did many times.
Moreover T-Bone is a very caring marine who does everything for his people and live by the "protect the innocent" moto. So dealing with human-mermaid selling is off the question. And as some other guy told before me, he got cut head on and not from the back.

And Enel is in the moon.

Vizard5
March 17, 2008, 09:13 AM
it's not t-bone.. duval have been waiting for years, t-bone met zoro just some weeks ago..

EDIT: Absolutio said pretty much the same as me so... yea..

Akainu
March 17, 2008, 09:52 AM
I'm hoping for the next chapter to reveal a lot, finish the ffr and get duval started (chopper or usopp would be cool, even if there is just treatment and no fight xP).
On a sidenote: does anyone know whether there will be a chapter after the easterweekend?

r4nd0m
March 17, 2008, 02:03 PM
my opinion is that it is not someone we have seen before since this guy said he has waited for many years. as for who he is waiting for its probably zoro, but as people said he doesnt get peopel from behind

k-dom
March 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well, for me it is obvious it is a knew character, since it doesn't fit anyone the Mugiwara have met so far. Moreover, I don't really see the interest for Oda, to make the crew fight again an old enemy (on the contrary, to save Hacchi is really funny)
The fact that Oda kept Duval's enemy name secret, makes me believe that it is not Luffy
I also think that the chance of Caimie rejoining the crew are near from zero now.They can't hire someone who past most of her time in a fish stomach or imprisonned !

craziii
March 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
how many people think the guy in the mask is arlong??? he broke his nose = mask.

Akainu
March 17, 2008, 03:22 PM
and along with that he got his hands operated to remove the skin between his fingers???
nice try

fallou
March 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
Well it makes sense that the person he's been waiting for is zoro...After all he's the one that has fought the most before joining the crew.
Maybe a guy from a filler flashback episode(the one with the bazooka for instance, when zoro meets the two other bounty hunters,don't remember their names though).
Although it's only a tv episode so it's not very probable. But the thing is, it's not like zoro to wound people on their back, he always attack them directly.
It's sure that we've never seen the guy so far, since it's been years, Duval says(though Oda said Luffy is 17 every year, and the notion of time isn't very clear in OP).
I hope we soon find out about Duval's identity, because we've been turning around for two weeks now, and we hear the same things repeated lots of time(and I'm doing the same just right now(dammit:darn))

Mische
March 17, 2008, 05:24 PM
I also hope that he will reveal himself soon... I can´t take anymore predictions.On every page the same things are pointed out and then blown away by the same old arguments that where just said one page earlier.

Everything I predicted was proven wrong and I can´t remember any enemy of the Sh´s with this size. So either one of them went on steroids or he must be new. Also this accent doesn´t sound familiar at all! The only one i remember having an accent like that was BB (but please. please don´t start predicting its him ;))

As for Zorro being "the one" I think he would never cut his enemys in the back. thats not his style which doesn´t make him less possible but not really a top candidate in my eyes (yeah yeah, has been said before too :)).

@Imitorar: Bellamy could have a scar on his back as Sarquis attacked him from behind when he was under don flamingos control! Still the size doesn´t fit at all and the accent makes it almost impossible because a atribute like that would have been pointed out long ago.

bandana_kun
March 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
maybe he s don creek
duval s appearance would fit don creek
i think don has also a ton of reasons to hate luffy

Mische
March 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
maybe he s don creek
duval s appearance would fit don creek
i think don has also a ton of reasons to hate luffy

aaaaahhhhh..... sry had to say this! :)
this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/47/17/) is doncreek. Compare his size to Duvals and tell me that they have the same appearance. maybe they are both buff but Duval must be twice as big as doncreek and next to their body shape i don´t see so many similarities +the accent + that Gin is nowhere around.

I feel like someone pressed the repead button!
sry, nothing against you in personal but it has been said, disproven, said, disproven...
And people with reasons to hate luffy are spread all over the Grand line & east blue.

fallou
March 17, 2008, 07:03 PM
Now let's make predictions about something else, like who's gonna be the next big boss, how are they gonna get to merman island, who won in the WB Shanks fight, stuff like that. I personally ain't got a clue, but it'd be nice to change the subject, since we'll probably(or am I raising my hopes too high?) our answer about freakin' Duval by wenesday when the spoilers are out...

Zoro-kun
March 17, 2008, 07:29 PM
I still belive Duval is Pandaman... :) he fits perfectly in Duvals armour... :)

Freakzin
March 17, 2008, 08:20 PM
this place is not like Naruto that has hundreds of comment pages, it wouldn't hurt you to have a look on the 3 first pages of this thread, and then make your prediction.

I have established myself with the man being Franky, after someone stated that the time between him being hit by the Puffin Tom, and the time he returned, he could have gotten and enemy in the near islands,
seems the most logical person for it to be.
I wonder if he actually has a real power, cause people are so obsessed tryin to guess him, and not analyse him and the ways that he could possibly fight, I think he has the harpoon rapidfire just as an ordinary acessory weapon, I think his real strength relies on brutal strength, and it just makes it all better as he I predict he is gonna fight Franky, too melee fighter rumble. =D
LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE

Absolutio
March 17, 2008, 10:05 PM
Now let's make predictions about something else, like who's gonna be the next big boss, how are they gonna get to merman island, who won in the WB Shanks fight, stuff like that. I personally ain't got a clue, but it'd be nice to change the subject, since we'll probably(or am I raising my hopes too high?) our answer about freakin' Duval by wenesday when the spoilers are out...

I think that a nice verision of the sky octopus would be neat for travelers to sub down into fishman island. Like some sea animal that takes them down, but problem is with water pressure and the minor fact that ships aint supposed to be underwater, so I assume that there's a tunnel somewhere (probably somewhere in the red line) that leads to fishman island, and that fishman island is more or less, as someone(i think Imi) already predicted, will be inside the red line, and there travelers could "park" their ships and hang out in fishman island.

wing_gundam
March 17, 2008, 10:24 PM
I think the thing to focus on is his 'accent' that he slips back into when he gets angry....

who talks like that? or who's talks like Dat?

also for his big size he has puny arms... he looks pretty funny that way

Imitorar
March 17, 2008, 10:47 PM
@Mische: I agreed with the Bellamy theory last week, it made sense then. Now that we know more about Duval, it doesn't so much.

@Absolutio: sahugani predicted that Fishman Island was inside the Red Line in his chapter 490 review, I think. It wasn't me, that much I know.

kkck
March 17, 2008, 10:49 PM
I think the entrance to merman island will be a bad ass whirpool or o waterfall in cave or maybe a combination of the 2 (poor luffy, choper, robin, brook). Also merman island will either be a city inside a mysterious bubble or inside an underwater cave.

Imitorar
March 17, 2008, 10:51 PM
Three weeks? Who said, that since Enies Lobby passed three weeks?
They spent a week on Water 7 after Enies Lobby, a few days (say, 4 or 5) sailing until they got to the Florian Triangle, three days on Thriller Bark, and a few days (say, 5) sailing until they got to the Red Line. It's been about three weeks since Enies Lobby, and I'd say about 7.5 months since Romance Dawn.

s c i p i o 7
March 18, 2008, 12:44 AM
lol...I didnt count the days

Silhouette
March 18, 2008, 06:29 AM
I thought Morgan would've been a really good choice to wrap his story up but Oda isn't using him yet.

I tend to agree with him being a new character because he doesn't fit the description of anyone that has been shown so far...especially the accent. Me thinks Oda is ripping off the character from the Dick bandits filler episode or character close to that in the filler.

Also how long has been the SHs together? if I am not mistaken, it hasn't been years in OP time so having Duval waiting for years (or a long long time) for the SHs doesn't fit (! >>)

PS: Zoro doesn't have a code against slashing someone from the back (if that person was running away for example), Zoro is against getting slashed in the back himself.

Dice
March 18, 2008, 08:20 AM
Here http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/51/19/ Zoro clearly says that it is a shame to BE hit in the back. So it's not impossible that Zoro cut hi in the back but I somehow doubt it, since I can't remember a single attack in the back...

So far there is one strawhat who would fit the "hit in the back"-thing and the "many years"-thing quite well, but this strawhat lacks one thing: being male XD...I'm speaking of Nico Robin. I mean maybe their encounter was really a long time ago and Duval mistook her for a guy (or he's the sort of guy who can not be beaten by a girl so he is just pretends that she is a girl XD) .
Another important thing is that Robin, Franky, Brooke and Chopper are the only people who were in the grandline for some years already. I mean it makes sense to wait in the grandline for someone you encountered in the grandline. If he would have met him/her in the eastblue there might be a chance not to meet this person in the grandline but he knew that this person was one of the strawhats and knowing of Luffy's ultimate goal Suval could think they will meet up again...so who knows...
And out of the 4 "grandliners" I think Robin is - though not being male - the most likely since she never had a "place" where you could easily find her unlike Franky, Chopper and Brooke.

And as many said the time when Brooke became a straw hat is'nt quite long but maybe Duval was waiting for him and the rumors that Brooke became a straw hat spread really quick.
Chopper is such a nice guy and I can't think that he did something like that in his past and he was always on the same island.

So I'm putting my bets on Zoro and on Robin ^^

Ohh and I also think that Duval is a new character...

shouryuujo
March 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
i dont think it will be Robin because we already seen a big story arc revolving around her and we seen a big story arc around most of the strawhats except zorro. I think it is probably zorro - maybe zorro's swordsmate from the younger days?

realnavtej
March 18, 2008, 02:03 PM
i am gonna guess that duval guy is some random guy who accidentally luffy beat up but later he got stronger and waited for luffy so that he can beat him..........completely unpredictable.
i am gonna bet that duval guy and his crew is gonna be beaten badly by luffy just to show us the power of mugiwara crew and the main villain hasnt still appeared yet.
this is just the intro fight..

what do u guys think??

Mr.Popo
March 18, 2008, 02:06 PM
Duval is definitely after Ussup! But his grudge is actually against Yassop.
Long time ago when Red Haired Shanks still got his hat Yassop did something to him.
Obviously he remembers only that Yassop was a member in a crew whose captain had a strawhat.
Another hint: They are all shooters (guns/slingshots).

As some others here i also predict that this will be a small (fun) arc without a serious fight, probably as introduction to an upcoming big "enter the new world" arc (like little garden).

r4nd0m
March 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
Long time ago when Red Haired Shanks still got his hat Yassop did something to him.
Obviously he remembers only that Yassop was a member in a crew whose captain had a strawhat.

As some others here i also predict that this will be a small (fun) arc without a serious fight, probably as introduction to an upcoming big "enter the new world" arc (like little garden).

thats pretty interesting idea how it was yassop from shanks crew, would be a nice twist to things.

fallou
March 18, 2008, 03:03 PM
this place is not life Naruto that has hundreds of comment pages, it wouldn't hurt you to have a look on the 3 first pages of this thread, and then make your prediction.

Honestly I looked on the first pages of the thread, and it was pretty much the same stuff than the earlier threads so...
And I already have made predictions about this on other threads so it'd be rude to go on and say the same things again, or to come up with stupid stuff just in order to say something: I don't have that much imagination anyway
sorry mate:p

Wolfshadow
March 18, 2008, 05:07 PM
i am gonna guess that duval guy is some random guy who accidentally luffy beat up but later he got stronger and waited for luffy so that he can beat him..........completely unpredictable.
i am gonna bet that duval guy and his crew is gonna be beaten badly by luffy just to show us the power of mugiwara crew and the main villain hasnt still appeared yet.
this is just the intro fight..

what do u guys think??

I don't want to think. I'm tired of thinking. I wanna read, or at least look at pretty pictures. :p When does SJ come out, anyway?

Imitorar
March 18, 2008, 06:49 PM
Weekly Jump comes out on Mondays, but we get the RAWs earlier, thanks to intrepid subscribers. Expect the RAW around Friday afternoon, and a scanlation sometime between Friday and Saturday. For more information about Weekly Shonen Jump and Jump S.Q., see this thread (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22172).

Dice
March 18, 2008, 07:40 PM
Nice theory Mr. Popo and your right about the arc-stuff...totally forget about that but since it could be only a little fun arc...who knows XD

But I really like your idea, so I'll put my coins on Ussop and Zoro but will keep some for a side bet on Robin, since it would be strange if it was her XP

Wolfshadow
March 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks man :)

craziii
March 18, 2008, 08:54 PM
well in chap 292, it was revealed that he was cut on his back. someone from zoro's past most likely.

wing_gundam
March 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
I thought about waterworld too! lol Even have the half man/fish :D

And to the ppl who think it's about Shank's crew... two reasons why I doubt that:

1) I'm pretty sure he's always been the "Red haired pirates". Who would change their name and flag just cuz they got rid of it? well it could happen with Luffy, but I think they would stay the Strawhat crew forever.

2) someone confirmed the man they were looking for was currently on the boat.

The only way then for that to be wrong is if they confused Ussop with Yassop which could be possible, but I think it's pretty slim.

thats pretty interesting idea how it was yassop from shanks crew, would be a nice twist to things.

Nice theory Mr. Popo and your right about the arc-stuff...totally forget about that but since it could be only a little fun arc...who knows XD

But I really like your idea, so I'll put my coins on Ussop and Zoro but will keep some for a side bet on Robin, since it would be strange if it was her XP

I said it first :)

Superman
March 19, 2008, 06:58 AM
Maybe it is still Morgan.:D joking
By the way to replace the axe shouldn`t be a problem at all. There are Cyborgs and tons of crazy stuff so this will be the smallest problem.
But i think now it is a new character and iam excited to see him because it will have new flashbacks like some other peaple say.
Maybe this is Luffys way to much trained mom:p:D and Nami and Robin end up like her, but if such thing will ever happen i cut watching one piece instantly, but thats unrealistic even in the fiction.:D

nc1dexter
March 19, 2008, 07:07 AM
i don't thinks it's arlong... hacchin told the SH's that Arlong and the gang are in prison...(OP 492 page 13) and the Hacchin is the only one that escaped. The Only Clue we have is the height of Duval... seen someone with that size and also he said he had a great big wound on his back? (OP 492 page 5)... hmmm

Absolutio
March 19, 2008, 08:02 AM
Again.. This person was waiting for this person for years. Morgan met luffy in "this" year, since luffy haven't been traveling yet for a year.

garaa89
March 19, 2008, 08:06 AM
50 volumes and still a year had not passed.

Absolutio
March 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
yep =]
dunno if it's good or bad though.. :P

Superman
March 19, 2008, 04:52 PM
Again.. This person was waiting for this person for years. Morgan met luffy in "this" year, since luffy haven't been traveling yet for a year.

I know.
I put a smilie behind this that no one take it serious.

Impel Down
March 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
I really don't think it's anyone we've met before. His size would be pretty memorable and no one that's THAT big that's shown up in the series really fits the characterizations for Duval. Plus, if it's some guy that like Zoro or Sanji or whoever met before the series, that could potentially be hilarious.

Hmm...but you know who I just thought of that it could be?

PEARL

Imitorar
March 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
One Piece chapter 493 is out! Come at get it HERE (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27803).

And so begins the Battle Royale between the Macro Crew, the Flying Fish Riders, and the Straw Hat Pirate Crew! Come here to do your discussing of this chapter AND your predicting for next chapter, now in one convenient thread!

Mou Wang
March 21, 2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I've been curious about Duval since he was introduced. I do agree with you regarding his identity. If it's not a blood relative of Luffy (i.e. Uncle) or something, it might be a childhood acquaintance.

The thing that surprises me most is why Luffy's hair is all in "scared" mode. I mean, who would Luffy be afraid of? Seriously. LOL

They better reveal the identity soon, also what's on that piece of paper Ace gave him.

Akainu
March 21, 2008, 06:02 PM
wow - this week I don't even know where to start ^^ but I think I'll start with a reply.

the piece of paper Ace gave Luffy has already been unveiled.

then on to a formality: although I first wondered a bit about it but I think it's absolutely justified to merge Discussion and Prediction ;)

the chapter itself was just great and to shorten my post I will not list everything. the den-den-mushi kinda made me think as it has a very unique design which I think is a sign pointing to duval being there for years trafficking people and gaining a lot of money.

and finally I got a question: in chaptrer 492 page 5 middle pannel duval said something like he "will kill that punk who gave him the scar on his back". my question is whether "punk" is a common way in japan to describe someone as enemy/immoral/ just to insult someone or maybe a special description of someone?
anyway as I read in an SBS-translation someone asks oda to describe who of the SH would play which role in an family. and there was sanji listed as "second son""punk".
this leads me to believe there is some connection to sanji (too) as luffy seems to know him. therefore its either a "no I don't know you" from luffy or next chapter should be the beginning of some flashback.

Saintz0r
March 21, 2008, 07:05 PM
Luffy: Ahhh, it's you !
Duval: So, you saw me huh
Luffy: Who are you ? oO

Or something like that :)

Mische
March 21, 2008, 07:49 PM
Well normally i would agree with you two. It sounds totally like Luffy if he wouldn´t remember him at all. In this case though the "scared hair" or whatever you wanna call it makes it more likely that he is aware of who he is and in what way they have met before.

Of course its strange that Luffy seems so shocked. I can´t remember an enemy that gave him a look like that no matter how strong he seemed to be.
It reminds me of the way he reacted on Garp. I doubt that he is a family member though. Probably a strong oponent from Luffys past although it still doesn´t make sense that Luffy has beaten him then (as Duval said he ruined his life) and still seems kind of frightened at the same time. I really have no clew where this is going...

This whole "scar on the back" thing is still very mysterious too. I mean how can an ability like Luffys cause a scar on the back. It really sounds more like a wound done by a swordsman: Not that i think it might be about zorro. I think its quite clear that its about Luffy.

That Duval is using the word Punk fits to his way of talking and their whole moto crew outfit so i´d say its probably just a phrase he uses when he speaks with his accent.
About Duval being there for years, here (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/491/15/) pappagg says that they have just recently started to operate in that area. Of course Duval could have been there longer and the gang was just formed recently but it sounds more like he just started the trafficking buisness not too long ago.

Inkovic
March 22, 2008, 01:07 AM
I want to see whaqt's under the Mask!!

Sentou Ryoku
March 22, 2008, 03:39 AM
It's Spandam...haha

scottyijoe
March 22, 2008, 07:04 AM
I have a guess about who Duval is. My guess is he is the man that Garp let take care of Luffy when he was young. I remember the village leader from Luffy's town mention that he would be upset if he found out that Luffy was a pirate. Perhaps Luffy "ruined" his life by becoming a pirate.

It would also explain why he is scared of him. He would probably only fear his grandfather and the man that raised him. The scar on Duval's back could have been an accident caused by Luffy while he was young.

In any case I'm sure it will be explained soon.

But my theory has one bad point. I doubt Garp would let a kidnapper raise his grandson...

pcxxy
March 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
scottyjoe: i totally agree with that... and yeah i now don't think it's a blood relative... but more like someone (new) luffy knew in his childhood but who's also strong enough for luffy to have his scared hair.

i also remember how garp 'trained' luffy by throwing him into the forest... duval could well be someone he met back then... and received some trouble too...

Wale
March 22, 2008, 07:49 AM
It's Spandam...haha

Spandam is a little weekling and he has no muscle on his body.. :)

Mr.Popo
March 22, 2008, 07:51 AM
It's Spandam...haha
No, it's Shanks. After wiping the floor with Whitebeared he wanted to make some fun on Luffy :o.
--
But really, i didn't read the spoilers, but a short look at them was enough to know that Oda is still hiding Duval's identity from us.

If Duval had not been this huge, the Mountain Bandit would be my guess now. Eaten be a Monster and rescued by the Macros, they are his Angels of Good Fortune anyway. But i'm sure we don't know of Duval.

And as i thought, the fight is easy going till now, though we didn't see Duval participating yet.

Pirulito
March 22, 2008, 09:03 AM
Luffy: Ahhh, it's you !
Duval: So, you saw me huh
Luffy: Who are you ? oO

Or something like that :)

It´s what i believe.

Brooke is really funny and cool, huh. I like him more and more every chapter.

Dice
March 22, 2008, 09:08 AM
This chapter was a nice one and made me belief that we somehow will recognize Duval's face. I mean think about there is only one reason ti hide the face if it's not a familiar face (familiar as in a known face or a face that has a strong resemblance to a known face). And this reason is cruelty of Oda. So everybody guesses who Duval could be and than he's an unknown person for us...
In OP I could imagine several possibilities which could lead to a change of the appearance. Such as an cyborg-makeover or a devilfruit (muscle-fruit, semi-giant-fruit) or something else.
So my guess is that Duval is someone we know or someone who resembles someone we know.

marte1980
March 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
Duval may be Don Krieg.

Vizard5
March 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
i'm not sure but it seem like he's a pirate judgeing from his "pirate flag". (http://manga.bleachexile.com/one-piece-chapter-493-page-3.html)
last chapter they said that it looked like they had forcefully raised the sea floor (http://manga.bleachexile.com/one-piece-chapter-492-page-10.html)to build their base.. it prolly has something to do with duvals DF-power or they are riding a seaking, which i doubt cause the FFR dived pretty deep under the base..
i don't think it's a mentor of luffy cause he said luffy ruined his life, and he has been waiting for years.. if he were taking care of luffy he defenatly would not be waiting for him for years in the grand line.. he would know where to find him.. and he wouldn't even let luffy go to the grand line..
that he is having a scar on the back makes me think it might have something to do with shanks cause he's a swordman, which will prolly lead manny ppl back the the bandit teory.. but it is not the bandit cause: 1. he's dead. 2. shanks didn't even draw his sword that day much less cut some1.. 3. he dosen't fit in size, apperance, personality, and the fact that duval is alive.. 4. he's dead.

so luffy recognized him and freaked out, so that means it's eigher garp(yea right), some1 luffy thinks is dead or something or some1 that has given him a hard time before...it also means it is NOT an enemy we have seen before..
and about it being a blood relative, luffy doesn't even know his own father.. i don't think it's some1 in his family..

but anyway we'll find out next week :amuse

tehgrim
March 22, 2008, 02:53 PM
krieg was a wuss, theres no way he could've gathered up a group of merman under him.... I think its morgan, even though he doesn't have an his right hand, he probably just took it off?

Akainu
March 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
how could he possibly take it off? it wasn't just an axe attached to his hand it was an axe instead of a hand.

anyways, happy easter days to all of you!

black_crow
March 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
He could always remove it by cutting it off i guess?
This chapter was really cool. Brooke's attack was really cool. But how do you get music out of a sword?
Zoro seems alot more loyal than usual. or is it just me?

I think that Duval is someone from the time when Garp was training Luffy.Or maybe Luffy ruined his life on accident.

O and Happy Easter

marte1980
March 22, 2008, 04:08 PM
krieg was a wuss, theres no way he could've gathered up a group of merman under him.... I think its morgan, even though he doesn't have an his right hand, he probably just took it off?
Actually Morgan is weaker than Krieg.

omniscientone
March 22, 2008, 06:00 PM
I just feel its unlikely that its someone already shown, since then it becomes some wuss from the wussiest east blue who were defeated by the strawhats made it past them and to the border of the new world, and reigning there. Krieg got his ass handed to him the first try into the grand line, so i doubt its any of those guys. My vote for someone who Luffy and Garp know personally...

Em_Leingod
March 22, 2008, 06:44 PM
So, who is behind the mask? At first I thought it was Arlong. But why would he capture on of his own men? And his body looks human. I can't wait till next week.

Kanzen Shinkiro
March 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
My best guess is that Duval is a former enemy or rival of Monkey D. Dragon who holds a grudge against the Monkey D. family. He might also be linked to Shanks and hopefully, Duval will be at least Shichibukai level because at the current pace, he doesn't seem quite like he will last very long as he has barely been introduced and already he and Luffy are face to face and ready to brawl.

kazuma_uzumaki
March 22, 2008, 11:54 PM
i still think it's arlong >_>

Hachi did somewhat betray him by going his own way
and he's the only one who Luffy did sorta ruin

what you think it's buggy?
i wonder how the music thing worked with brookes sword

belle_chan
March 23, 2008, 12:28 AM
oh,this is the first time i saw nami saved those 'idiots' from the sea :amuse

ultrazai
March 23, 2008, 04:49 AM
my number one prediction.
Duval: So You remember me Monkey D. Luffy.
Luffy: No never seen you.
SO 100% sure to happen.XD

I Still predict duval being creek and i dont think he will be a major enemy this arc is a pre-merman arc to get luffy a fishman/mermaid member to enter merman island.
I think the seastar the mermaid and hachi will stay with luffy at least till they reach merman island and perhaps one or all three will become new strawheads.

And one last thing Duval will go down in a flash.

Splat
March 23, 2008, 07:40 AM
Brooke's attack was really cool. But how do you get music out of a sword?

i wonder how the music thing worked with brookes sword

look again more closely http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/493/16/ and if you still can't see it he has his violin with him and it looks like he drew his sword accross it to create the music

my number one prediction.
Duval: So You remember me Monkey D. Luffy.
Luffy: No never seen you.
SO 100% sure to happen.XD

completely agreed that that is the most obvious thing to happen, but also there is a part of me that is saying it's so obvious that it can't happen.

as for duval, i don't think we've seen him before, for a start http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/492/05/ he's a half giant and correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think luffy has defeated a half giant yet (other than moria, but it'd too son for a return for him and of course the body shape is all wrong, same goes for kuma as well as it being completely illogical if it was him)

i also have a feeling that duval might be holding a grudge for a ridiculous reason and luffy may greet him as a friend before realising that duval now hates him.

wing_gundam
March 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
I think this might help/or change predictions:

This probably has no relation to the actual character, but I happened to be watching the latest anime today (347) and saw something pretty interesting:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/wing_gundam/duvala.jpg

or perhaps his zombie? or a zombie from his island!

I mean the similarities are too striking. He's got the armour, the long hair from the face, and the size!

Here is the manga for that scene: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/453/13/

And here is Duval in the latest chapter:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/493/19/

I mean it could all be quite conincidental, but damn that is so similar!!

So is that Duval's zombie? a revival of someone from his 'town'? or just a random similarity?

Put the image within spoiler tag.

Vizard5
March 23, 2008, 09:28 AM
^lol

Crivizzi
March 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
@wing_gundam. i don't think there is a connection: Duval uses a weapon that throws arrows, not a sword.....

I think Duval is the man we thaught was eaten by the sea king that cut off shanks arm when rufy was a child... that's why rufy is shocked looking at his face....

what do you think?

Freakzin
March 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
before sayin he is DEAD, we have no proof, Caimie got eaten a lot and then someone got her out, so it could well be that guy from his childhood I think it's very unlikely but still possible.

Ustegius
March 23, 2008, 04:28 PM
Thinking of which; In the early Romance Dawn "the first foe" was shown to be a Mugiwara in flashforward at the end of chapter.

But I don't really think, even if it actually is Higuma, that he will join. I see that villain more as an early version of Buggy, comedic and vowes for revenge. Wow, would be sooo awesome if Buggy joined them :DD

Kikuna992
March 23, 2008, 04:52 PM
Everyones judging who its going to be by appearance. But remember Alvida changed completely physically and so physique is not a good way of guessing who it is.

Saintz0r
March 23, 2008, 06:13 PM
But he couldn't have changed very much since Luffy seems to have recognized him.

wing_gundam
March 23, 2008, 09:36 PM
@wing_gundam. i don't think there is a connection: Duval uses a weapon that throws arrows, not a sword.....

I think Duval is the man we thaught was eaten by the sea king that cut off shanks arm when rufy was a child... that's why rufy is shocked looking at his face....

what do you think?

I didn't say he was necessarily the same guy, I just said he could be him yes, or more likely

a) Duval's zombie?
b) a zombie of someone from Duval's town/race

I mean its the only other time we see anyone of that size or body armour. Every person in the manga has been rejected because of their smaller size. This guy fits him to a T.

And there's no question this guy's fighting with a sword and Duval uses a gun. But so what? Don't dismiss something because of their weapon. I bet if I showed you a pic of nightmare Luffy wielding a sword last year you (anyone) would say not possible. But even still that's different - if its someone from Duval's island than they can fight with whatever weapons they want.

The point is I found someone else who looks a hella lot like Duval and thus theres more of a connection that just some random dude who he met earlier, or a baddie he easily defeated in the first 20 chapters who for some reason would a) grow immensely, b) talk differently, c) start fighting with guns (in most cases), d) have a ridiculous power up.

Those 4 criteria set Duval apart from everyone we've met so far in the manga. Execpt this dude.

Nibelhm
March 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing Duval is probably either a teacher, someone Luffy owes money too, or father in law.

Absolutio
March 23, 2008, 10:17 PM
I didn't say he was necessarily the same guy, I just said he could be him yes, or more likely

a) Duval's zombie?

I mean its the only other time we see anyone of that size or body armour. Every person in the manga has been rejected because of their smaller size. This guy fits him to a T.

And there's no question this guy's fighting with a sword and Duval uses a gun. But so what? Don't dismiss something because of their weapon. I bet if I showed you a pic of nightmare Luffy wielding a sword last year you (anyone) would say not possible. But even still that's different - if its someone from Duval's island than they can fight with whatever weapons they want.

The point is I found someone else who looks a hella lot like Duval and thus theres more of a connection that just some random dude who he met earlier, or a baddie he easily defeated in the first 20 chapters who for some reason would a) grow immensely, b) talk differently, c) start fighting with guns (in most cases), d) have a ridiculous power up.

Those 4 criteria set Duval apart from everyone we've met so far in the manga. Execpt this dude.

First of all, if you look closely, you see that this huge guy you're talking about is half elephant (or more), at least his lower parts (legs) are. So is it a zombie of the same race? - no.
Second of all, there should be no connection between how the zombie looks and the owner. Look at Sanji's pendog, or Luffy's Odz. So making a suggestion of him being Duval's zombie is a very unbased one and the chances of that are slimier than slim because of the following:
The zombie uses a different weapon, and unlike you said, there's a HUGE connection between the weapons and techniques of the person and his zombie, which you fail to understand. The zombie has the person's shadow, so their techniques are identical. The only difference is the bodies. And with your, so called, "counter-example" with Nightmare Luffy, that's a completly different scenario of a real living person with his own techniques being given a shadow/shadows of another person with his own techniques. So that's why he was able to use the sword.
And moreover, if it was indeed Duval's zombie, then it means he wouldn't have been able to form a gang and stuffs, since he would've been afraid of the sun, and he should've probably be thanking Luffy than wanting to kill him.

And for those who suggest this Duval guy is Don Krieg... Umm, I don't remember Luffy attacking Don Krieg from the back, nor leaving any scar. So I assume that this theory isn't correct.
And as someone few posts before said, you can't dismiss the possibility of this Duval guy being Higuma (the 1st chapter bandit), but it's just very unlikely.

garaa89
March 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
duval is the person who trained luffy after his grandfather left.

nerevarine
March 24, 2008, 05:37 AM
I share the same opinion as scottyijoe, that Duval might have been the one who trained Luffy in his childhood....

But I think that this talk about the scar on his back is just meant fugratively, because of Luffy's betrayal not becoming a marin, but instead a pirat.

Absolutio
March 24, 2008, 05:46 AM
And a person whos occupation is human/merman slave marketing is a one to talk...

Vizard5
March 24, 2008, 07:43 AM
garp's good friend the slave trader?? garp left him to his care, meaning he would be a the same place as luffy when luffy left town, meaning he has not been waiting for years for luffy.. who came up with this anyway? i trew out that it might be Dadan as a joke, i hope that didn't trigger this..

Mische
March 24, 2008, 08:22 AM
I also doubt that he was the one taking care of Luffy during his childhood. The possibility that they met during the time when garp "trained" him to become a good marine is still there though. He dropped him in many horrible situations in his youth and maybe during something like that Luffy got into the
hands of a slave trader - Duval- (he could have been a slave trader back then in east blue too)
Of course its all speculation but who knows, ...maybe he had a pig farm and Luffy ate all his animals...

So far the only thing we can do is to predict who it might not be and since we came almost to the end of the list we´ll have to wait and see ;).

@wing_gundam: Absolutio pointed out why its not very likely and I´m preatty much with him there. But it was refreshing to at least hear a good new guess.

lordHokage
March 24, 2008, 10:52 AM
My best guess is that Duval is a former enemy or rival of Monkey D. Dragon who holds a grudge against the Monkey D. family. He might also be linked to Shanks and hopefully, Duval will be at least Shichibukai level because at the current pace, he doesn't seem quite like he will last very long as he has barely been introduced and already he and Luffy are face to face and ready to brawl.

I agree with you and I am looking forward to more interesting revelations on the great Monkey D's family. :blink

Zoro-kun
March 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think this might help/or change predictions:

This probably has no relation to the actual character, but I happened to be watching the latest anime today (347) and saw something pretty interesting:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u206/wing_gundam/duvala.jpg

or perhaps his zombie? or a zombie from his island!

I mean the similarities are too striking. He's got the armour, the long hair from the face, and the size!

Here is the manga for that scene: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/453/13/

And here is Duval in the latest chapter:
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/493/19/

I mean it could all be quite conincidental, but damn that is so similar!!

So is that Duval's zombie? a revival of someone from his 'town'? or just a random similarity?

Put the image within spoiler tag.

haha, interestin theory... BUT first of all, the zombie at the first pic has black hair, duval has white hair. IF duvan had been that zombie.. why the hell would luffy say:"YOU!!" just as if they know each other? ...

But yes, it was quite conincidental. =P

wing_gundam
March 24, 2008, 05:38 PM

a) Duval's zombie?

First of all, if you look closely, you see that this huge guy you're talking about is half elephant (or more), at least his lower parts (legs) are. So is it a zombie of the same race? - no.
Second of all, there should be no connection between how the zombie looks and the owner. Look at Sanji's pendog, or Luffy's Odz. So making a suggestion of him being Duval's zombie is a very unbased one and the chances of that are slimier than slim because of the following:
The zombie uses a different weapon, and unlike you said, there's a HUGE connection between the weapons and techniques of the person and his zombie, which you fail to understand. The zombie has the person's shadow, so their techniques are identical. The only difference is the bodies. And with your, so called, "counter-example" with Nightmare Luffy, that's a completly different scenario of a real living person with his own techniques being given a shadow/shadows of another person with his own techniques. So that's why he was able to use the sword.
And moreover, if it was indeed Duval's zombie, then it means he wouldn't have been able to form a gang and stuffs, since he would've been afraid of the sun, and he should've probably be thanking Luffy than wanting to kill him.

And for those who suggest this Duval guy is Don Krieg... Umm, I don't remember Luffy attacking Don Krieg from the back, nor leaving any scar. So I assume that this theory isn't correct.
And as someone few posts before said, you can't dismiss the possibility of this Duval guy being Higuma (the 1st chapter bandit), but it's just very unlikely.

As I said, its more like he's duval's zombie OR

meaning Moria + Hogback used the body... the TOP half of a guy from his town/village.

No where in my theory does it say that it HAS to be Duval's zombie. Jeez, the main point of all this is to prove that Duval isn't any listed previously.

Absolutio
March 24, 2008, 09:57 PM
As I said.. This zombie is half elephant... Check up his first apperance. I don't think that Duval is half elephant too.. :s And I think it's rather a weak speculation to assume that they're both from the same town and/or race just because they're big and wear armour.. O_o
We've seen many big guys earlier too.. And I don't think they're related to each other in those ways...

La_Muerte
March 24, 2008, 10:36 PM
duval is T-Bone, the general from the water seven ark, the reason i say this is because ive been re reading one piece and i got to the water 7 ark and in the train track area u see T-Bone and as he is getting ready to face the straw hats he picks up his helmet and it has the same patterns that the one duval has on, im 99.99% sure its T-Bone, or maybe oda is just messing with peoples head

Absolutio
March 24, 2008, 10:58 PM
Again... In the thousandth time.. Duval can't be T-Bone.
First of all, Duval is waiting for years, T-Bone met the strawhats roughly 2 weeks ago.
Second of all, Duval uses harpoons, T-Bone is a swordsman.
Third of all, Duval is a gangster who sells human/mermaid slaves, T-Bone is a very naive and idealist marine who will do anything for the innocence.
Fourthly and lastly, Zoro is the one who defeated T-Bone, and apperently, from the latest chapter's development, this Duval guy is connected to Luffy and not Zorro.

That's it... *sigh*

Anyarel
March 25, 2008, 03:34 AM
But if it was T-Bone, Luffy's reaction is logical so we could see in the next chapter something like: "you are... the man who was in the way to go to Ennies Lobby.." oO
And his reaction could be like that because he's surprised that T-Bone is alive.

But I agree with you about the waiting for years thing and I also think that he's not become the kind of man to become like that but... Who knows?

Yet I hope it's a new character and that we'll know more about Luffy's past.

Akainu
March 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
could you tell me - as I don't remember that particular scene that good - if luffy has seen
t-bone at all?
if not how then could he recognise him? (apart from the tousands of facts that were stated around 1000 times ;) )

well anyway Duval is
Duval

now how is that?

Captaaain_Usop
March 26, 2008, 05:08 AM
wooow..how did you figure that out :p

it's obvious to me that Duval is some one new.. he talks different and looks different from all of the characters that ppl are suggesting..it makes sense that Oda is putting a side story here to introduce the new island..can't wait to see what he is preparing for us..

Superman
March 26, 2008, 05:52 AM
I agree ( just for fun) with people who say that this "he is waiting for years" is a mistranslation but as i say, just for fun :p.
So i came up to this conclusion:
If it is a mistranslation than it has to be Wapol who ate Mr. 2 and use his powers to confuse the strwhats:D:D:D:D:p:p:p
Or the better explanation is: he is just an total idiot.:p:D.

Impel Down
March 26, 2008, 11:19 AM
Too many smilies

But if Duval has known this person for years and the SHs have been doing this for roughly a year, how would that work out? He'd have to have known one of them already and defeated again by them for Luffy to recognize him. And Luffy rarely recognizes anyone who's just a lackey or was a supporting villain, like with Hatchan, so that lessens the possibilities of who it is even more.