PDA

View Full Version : Review sahugani's One Piece Review 492

sahugani
March 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Sahugani’s One Piece Review 493

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3069/coloonepiecebyreii00yg5.jpg (http://reii00.deviantart.com/art/Colo-One-Piece-79334041)
look at the pretty colors

Hi guys. I’m as excited as ever to review this week’s chapter. First of all, although last week was technically the start of the newest cover arc, this week actually showed us what it will revolve around, so I’m glad to start those back up again. I’m just so invigorated I can’t really get anything done till I get this out of the way. The pics for the review come from the Binktopia scanlation and the title pic is a piece by Reii00 (http://reii00.deviantart.com/) over at DeviantArt, so stop by his gallery later.

Savior

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/214/1afj8.png
and here we thought the CP9 didn't care about eachother

Huzzah! Oda has started up a new cover arc now that the Fishman Island arc is under way. Last week it technically started by showing us the ruins of Enies Lobby, which is no surprise since the cover arcs nearly always tend to deal with people from two arcs back and since the people of Water 7 got “where are they now” pages, it only really leaves the CP9. I mistakenly thought that the cover arc would be centralized around Kumadori, who, like Hachi and Gedatsu, had a very hilarious personality that would work well in some funny adventures. He was also thrown out of the Tower of Administration to “safety” before the Buster Call hit. However, it turns out the arc will be about Bleuno, who was also outside of the tower because his fight happened before the main CP9 fights. Using his devil fruit powers, we see him carrying Lucci and we can see Califa and Fukurou behind him in the air door dimension. Due to the placement of the rooms, Califa technically should have been launched into the bottomless chasm by the blast that nearly killed Usopp. Since Oda does not like killing off anyone, even enemies, I’m guessing Bleuno saved her before this happened. As for where Oda will take this cover arc, it will either be about Bleuno doing something solo or the CP9 as a whole. Due to Kaku’s exchanges with Zoro after their fight about being fired from Galley-La and finding a job afterward, I’m guessing the arc will be about the whole group as they find their own niche in regular society. Bleuno may end up back in a bar as he liked the job before even if it was just a cover. We may even see Kaku working at a zoo like Zoro joked about though more likely as a tour guide than living in the giraffe exhibit as Zoro implied. Califa may end up working at a bath house and maybe even at the same bath house Gedatsu started. As for Lucci, Kumadori, Jyabura, and Fukurou, I have no clue at this point.

Preparations

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6939/2alm2.png
finally, an opportunity for a pirate ship to use cannons

At the end of the previous chapter, the Strawhats were assaulted by the Flying Fish Riders, who quickly retreated after their initial attack. While Luffy marvels at the idea of riding on one of the flying fish, the other members of the crew take the matter more seriously. Robin quickly deduces that they might have gotten an order to retreat from their boss but cannot figure out why. Sanji points out that the Strawhats’ destination is bound to put them into battle yet again so it doesn’t matter why they pulled out of the previous attack. Meanwhile, Usopp and Franky get excited because this situation calls for the cannons to be brought out. This brings up a fantastic opportunity as this series has never really made extensive use of cannonfire aboard the Strawhat vessels except as a joke when Usopp accidentally fires impossible shots. In regards to why Franky is excited, we have not yet seen the Sunny’s firepower. This is the first of Franky’s vessels that he did not build with the intention of making it a warship (and that include himself). It has a number of inventions and cool ideas built in such as the lawn deck, the coup de burst, and the soldier dock system, but none of these have use in ocean combat. I half expect Franky to pull out a dozen cannons from storage and place them all on the deck or see a dozen windows open up from the side of the ship and the cannons peek through. As for Usopp, all of his cannon hits up till now have been lucky flukes as I said before. Since firing cannons is too standard a method of ocean combat for this series, Oda doesn’t like using it even though it is technically Usopp’s job in the crew. With his accuracy behind the ship’s cannons, the Sunny will be a force to be reckoned with.

Meet the Boss

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6426/3aoz9.png
those harpoons won't hurt Franky

We turn now to the hideout of the Flying Fish Riders as two of the gang return from their assault of the Strawhats. The cocky bastards question why their boss called them back as they could have pulled off the job easily right then. Before they can finish talking, their boss starts firing harpoons at them. It turns out the armor we assumed he had is limited to a mask and shoulders and the gun he wields actually rapid fires harpoons. His size is also roughly three times the height of a normal person, making him smaller than Whitebeard, Moria, and Kuma, but still damn tall. As he starts ranting about his hatred of a person who scarred his back, an accent begins to emerge in his voice apparently and his subordinates become terrified. From this we can assume that he was originally from a country that had a distinct accent but after suffering humiliation at this person’s hands and donning his mask to become Duval, he suppressed his accent in order to complete this new persona. However, when he gets too angry, he con no longer remain calm enough to hide his accent. His subordinates know that when this accent emerges, their boss is about to enter a state of bloodlust in which one wrong move could prove fatal for anyone present. As for whom this person he wants to kill is, we have two clues revealed a bit later in the conversation. First of all, since we know the person is onboard the Sunny, it negates the possibility that he wants to merely use the Strawhats’ strength to settle a grudge. We also learn that this hatred has been boiling for years, which means the person is not a former enemy of the Strawhats as all their victories have been somewhat recent. This also means that the hated person is not Luffy since his enemies are synonymous with the Strawhats’ enemies. The only way this is possible is if it is Higuma, but I doubt this and his grudge would be with Shanks anyway. My guess is that Franky is the person Duval hates. If he came from East Blue first, Usopp, Zoro and Sanji are still on the table but I doubt it. Franky is a person who likely pissed off quite a few people for one. Also, we have an unaccounted for period of time between his clash with the Puffing Tom and his arrival on Water 7 during which he made himself a cyborg. During this time he could have been a part of some incident that pissed off Duval but since these adventures were separate from Water 7, Duval did not know where his enemy was. Only after Franky’s bounty was issued and his connection to the Strawhats was established did Duval have a clue where to look. In addition, the idea of two “iron men” clashing is just a fantastic image.

Pecking Order

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5985/4asz5.png
how the hell did these guys secure Duval's help in the first place?

After Duval’s blood starts boiling, there are a few men present who don’t exactly understand the danger they are in. These people are the Macro crew. Two of them, Tansui the arowana fishman and Galo the demikin fishman, are easily contestants for the dumbest individuals ever to appear in the One Piece world. Their boss, Macro the mackerel phalanx fishman, at least shows average intellect and is probably at least smarter than Hachi. Luckily for them, the fact that they were the key to luring the Strawhats is enough to calm down the enraged Duval. Had this not been the case, the idiotic outbursts from the two dumbass members would have likely had terrible ramifications. Aside from these events, it is interesting to note that the tattoo Macro has on his chest and Galo has on his arm is identical to the one Hachi has on his head and Arlong had on his chest. This is also significant because in one page of Hachi’s old cover arc, the Macro crewmembers are referred to as old friends. As I highly doubt Arlong was involved with this group of idiots, the tattoo implies that they were all connected through something higher. It could be that the tattoo is simply common among all fishmen, but I’m guessing it was more than likely a symbol shred by the crew of Jimbei. When the assumed whale shark fishman became a Shichibukai, his crew dispersed as technically they are supposed to. This means that like Mihawk and Kuma, Jimbei is a Shichibukai who at least follows the rules the World Government set out as the conditions for the title. Some of his crew followed Arlong to East Blue where there were no enemies strong enough to oppose him while others like the Macro crew stayed near Fishman Island to do their own thing.

The Lovable Idiot

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1063/5ajf5.png
is it just me or does Hachi seem marginally smarter than before?

Along with the Macro crew’s appearance we also see Hachi tied up and strung behind them. He hears the name Mugiwara and is instantly reminded of the ass kicking he received at Zoro’s hands and similarly what Luffy did to Arlong. Since he was at the receiving end of the beating, he has not come to completely accept the Strawhats as the good guys and after hearing that Caimie is aboard their ship automatically assumes that she has been taken as their prisoner. After being told that she was together with them as opposed to their prisoner, Hachi stops thinking negatively of them at least and roots for them to kick the asses of his captors. Rather than fear for his safety at the hands of these Flying Fish Riders, Hachi’s biggest worry is that the Strawhats will remember him and kick his ass for what he did. It turns out that he does feel bad for what he did to Nami’s village and accepts the fact that he can probably never achieve forgiveness for his actions as an officer of Arlong’s crew.

Arrival

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3281/6aeu6.png
how did these two survive before Hachi arrived?

Over the intercom it is announced that the Strawhats have arrived. Hachi pleads with Macro to let him go in exchange for takoyaki but the attempt is fruitless. Back on the Sunny we learn that Caimie has been captured by the Macro crew thirty times, which is pretty clear evidence that unless she has some unconscious ability, her fighting strength is basically nil. Unless some drastic event unleashes a subconscious battle potential, I’m going to call her recruitment highly unlikely. Anyways, as the Strawhats near the hideout of the Flying Fish Riders, they notice two distinct things. First of all, the base is not a real island but was instead built on top of the water’s surface and supported by numerous poles that reach down to the sea floor. This allows them to rebuild or move easier than if they were on a real island. Being so far removed from the other islands also allows them to do their illegal business at a safe distance from authority figures. The second thing the Strawhats notice is that there is no one around except the sole octopus fishman in the cage at the base’s center. In order to avoid being noticed by the Strawhats, Hachi uses a last resort and fires his Tako Hachi Black at himself to make himself pitch black. Like idiots, Caimie and Pappogg see nothing suspicious about the situation and assume the kidnappers are simply gone for tea, leaving their prisoner completely unguarded. When the Strawhats point out the obvious nature of this trap, we learn that Caimie and Pappogg’s inhuman gullibility is the reason why they end up being captured so much.

Old Wounds

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6277/7aqu1.png
ironic that he's the one tasked to save him

Upon finding the blackened Hachi sitting in the cage, Caimie and Pappogg automatically assume the worst but the original Strawhats from East Blue (minus Luffy) automatically realize that this is more than likely the same octopus fishman, Hachi, as they knew from Arlong’s crew. To make sure, Sanji asks about Arlong and like an idiot, Hachi reveals that Arlong, Chu, and Kuroobi were captured by the marines, thus proving his own association with the crew. Even Luffy picks up on this after the answer and Usopp is forced to explain the previous encounter with Hachi and Arlong to the Strawhats who were recruited after the Merry entered the Grand Line. This puts the Strawhats in a bit of a moral dilemma. Luffy makes it clear that he doesn’t want to help a bastard like Hachi but then becomes a but unsure of his decision when he thinks about the takoyaki he’d miss out on by not saving him. Upon hearing that the Strawhats knew Hachi, Caimie assumes they were friends due to the fact that in all the time she has spent with him she has only known him as simple minded and kind. She asks Zoro if this is the case while unaware of the fact that he was the one who fought with the idiot fishman and finds out just how much the swordsman loathes him. She tries Nami, who was at first the one most eager to help her (or more correctly she was eager to let the other Strawhats help her). Since it was Nami’s hometown that Hachi helped terrorize, she gets the final word and decides she doesn’t want to help Hachi and offers Caimie her apology. Angry that the Strawhats won’t help Hachi, Caimie and Pappog decide to save him themselves, but end up caught by the Macro fishmen as soon as the enter the water.

Change of Heart

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7296/8awo7.png
Luffy's version of Nami's Beli-eyes

With their new friend, Caimie, caught, the Strawhats (starting with Sanji) begin to reconsider their position. While initially, they intend to only save Caimie and Pappogg, Nami decides that they might as well save Hachi, which surprises everybody. While we can’t go as far as to say that she has forgiven Hachi for the part he played in Arlong’s crew, we can see that she is at least open to the idea. From the way Caimie has described him to her, she can tell that he has changed his ways and is no longer a threat to the Strawhats or anyone else. She knew him for a long time as she was an officer in Arlong’s crew as well and so she knows his personality. Unlike Arlong, Kuroobi, and Chu, Hachi was not cruel and was instead a simple-minded idiot who followed Arlong’s orders. Had it been one of the other Arlong officers in front of her who had been directly involved in the torture of herself and the villagers, she likely would not have decided to give this second chance. If after Hachi is saved he apologizes to her and allows her to give him a good kick in the head, we may actually get to see forgiveness from Nami. Anyways, now that Nami has okayed this rescue, Luffy is determined to save Caimie and his takoyaki. He makes the first move and rescues Caimie and Pappogg from the Macro crew and orders Zoro to save his old opponent. Hachi thanks them and warns them that the Flying Fish Riders are going to attack. This only gets Luffy and the others excited at the prospect of battle. While the Strawhats have no experience in fighting enemies that can attack from both the sea and sky, there is no question that they will obliterate their opponents. All of them except Sanji, Brooke and Chopper can deal out massive damage at long range but all three are highly capable of bringing themselves back into short range through jumping. At some point during the confusion of the Flying Fish Rider attack, we will see Duval go after his target since he refuses to let his men take this victory away from him. It looks like next week we’ll get some confirmation on who he hates and why. I’m betting on Franky.

Overall

It is impossible to find a chapter of One Piece I don’t like. I really like the fact that Hachi is being brought back as a good guy. Even within the Arlong arc, Zoro was able to get along with him and the only reason the wounded swordsman fought him was because he was in the way of saving Luffy (Kuroobi on the other hand insulted Nami in front of Sanji thus dooming his fate). I’m very glad that Oda made Hachi show sympathy and regret over what he did during his time with Arlong and it made him just that more likable. As for where I see this arc going, I view this kidnapping plot to be a pre-arc before Fishman Island similar to Jaya in relation to Skypiea. Like Bellamy, Duval is just a minor asshole who needs to get his ass beaten before the Strawhats can proceed to their destination. Fishman Island will be the stage of the main arc, but Duval’s little operation does not seem to extend that far and so it makes the chance of him being a major enemy very slim. I guess we’ll see next week just how big his role in the story will be.

Helltroll
March 15, 2008, 03:15 PM
Great review as always, sahu.
I also like the current mini-arc so far and i do agree, that there is a large similarity to the Jaya Arc. However I have the feeling that this is all going too glad...meeting Caimie & The Fish Riders, fighting them & Duval and then proceeding to the next seems a bit short.

sahugani
March 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
well its not like the events of this arc will be closed and then we just move on to Fishman Island like nothing happened. a pre-arc simply defeats a lesser enemy but leaves some major issue unresolved but then becomes a part of the bigger plot of the following major arc

ANBU4U
March 15, 2008, 11:45 PM
well its not like the events of this arc will be closed and then we just move on to Fishman Island like nothing happened. a pre-arc simply defeats a lesser enemy but leaves some major issue unresolved but then becomes a part of the bigger plot of the following major arc

Did you notice that Luffy is still wearing the armlet he picked up from "Nami's" loot after Thriller Bark?

It could simply be another one of Oda's arcly fashion changes (which are much appreciated) as Luffy's are typically minor if present at all.........but with the presence of designers as a seemingly major occupation and fad on fishman island I'm not so sure, I think something may come of Luffy's new trinket.

Also, I think Hacchi's Trident (which he found during his cover arc) will reappear and find its way to Nami. Just a hunch.

Absolutio
March 16, 2008, 02:05 PM
[CENTER]Sahugani’s One Piece Review 493

After Duval’s blood starts boiling, there are a few men present who don’t exactly understand the danger they are in. These people are the Macro crew. Two of them, Tansui the arowana fishman and Galo the demikin fishman, are easily contestants for the dumbest individuals ever to appear in the One Piece world. Their boss, Macro the mackerel phalanx fishman, at least shows average intellect and is probably at least smarter than Hachi. Luckily for them, the fact that they were the key to luring the Strawhats is enough to calm down the enraged Duval. Had this not been the case, the idiotic outbursts from the two dumbass members would have likely had terrible ramifications. Aside from these events, it is interesting to note that the tattoo Macro has on his chest and Galo has on his arm is identical to the one Hachi has on his head and Arlong had on his chest. This is also significant because in one page of Hachi’s old cover arc, the Macro crewmembers are referred to as old friends. As I highly doubt Arlong was involved with this group of idiots, the tattoo implies that they were all connected through something higher. It could be that the tattoo is simply common among all fishmen, but I’m guessing it was more than likely a symbol shred by the crew of Jimbei. When the assumed whale shark fishman became a Shichibukai, his crew dispersed as technically they are supposed to. This means that like Mihawk and Kuma, Jimbei is a Shichibukai who at least follows the rules the World Government set out as the conditions for the title. Some of his crew followed Arlong to East Blue where there were no enemies strong enough to oppose him while others like the Macro crew stayed near Fishman Island to do their own thing.

We don't really know if what you say about the Shichibukais' crew is true or not, and it's only a speculation. But this mark really might be part of Jimbei's crew's or it could also be some traditional family-branch or area's mark.

Other than that, excelent review. And about duval, Franky does seem a logical person to be hated by him. But so is Zoro imo.

Raysen_ht
March 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
Great review
i think the tatoo is more related to which part of merman island one is born than to a crew sign...
this fight won´t last 10 sec, especially if Namy uses a thunder tempo while they are underwater, but i dont think that will happen

And about duval, Franky does seem a logical person to be hated by him. But so is Zoro imo.

i don´t think is Zoro, cause Duval said he had a scar on his back, and Zoro would never attack an opponent´s back!! he would consider it a great dishonour
I agree that Franky is the most likely one, it could even explain why he has an inicial bounty higher than lufy

k-dom
March 17, 2008, 02:56 PM
I couldn't agree more with you. The parallel with sky highland becomes more and more numerous
sky <-> sea floor
bellamy <-> duval
conis <-> caimie
suu <-> pappagg

This may promise a harsh opponent down there.

Speaking of tattoo, what is this tattoo-like thing that luffy has on his left arm since chapter 490 ?

Absolutio
March 17, 2008, 04:31 PM
it's some kind of a low-quality jewelery they got from Moria's treasure.

sahugani
March 17, 2008, 05:16 PM
@ANBU4U - ya i did notice that but the glass "jewels" seemed bigger before. as for the trident i don't think so. it one just one piece in a line of exchanges he made leading to Caimie

@Absolutio - as for the tattoo, we really can't know but the fact that it can be found on so many people might mean something. with Oda you never know

@Raysen_ht - as for Nami's thunder, i have to agree that it would certainly be devastating but doubt it'll happen like that. as for the initial bounty thing for Franky, i don't think that weighs in anything but the Enies Lobby stuff. he beat a CP9, smashed Spandam, and burned the blueprints, which i think is more than enough for the 44 mil

@k-dom - ya. i'm guessing that also like sky island, this will be an enemy that is off the government's radar so it won't get to be public knowledge. they've just gotten the total bounty to an even 700 mil...and 50 but if they get another public win, the government will have no choice but to update and screw up that nice number

bittman
March 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
I would have to disagree with Franky and go with Zoro as the most likely (though the green haired swordsman has been getting far too much screen time lately).

Why not Franky: Franky did have "years" where he went by rather unnoticed while rebuilding himself, but somehow I doubt too much would have happened in those years and somehow considering how much the second last arc was on Franky I don't think Oda would jump back to him so soon.

Why Zoro: We know for a while (quite possibly many years) Zoro was a famed and feared pirate hunter of the East Blue to the point where even Arlong showed some respect of the title. If we look into anyone's past, Zoro is probably the most likely to have ruined another pirate's life (though Robin does pretty well in that department, Duval has mentioned "man" too many times). Also, tie it in with Zoro's actions in the Moria arc and I think we have the possibility for some decent character development for him. If you look at the last two arc phase for Robin (Ring Islands + Water 7) it was split into the start of a thought and then the realisation of her past. Zoro may have some similar development incoming if we look at it this way.

Anyway, it is Oda we are talking about. Probably be someone who's not even on the ship for some strange Oda-will-eventually-explain-and-make-us-go-O_O reason

Great review as per usual by the way ^_^

Absolutio
March 17, 2008, 10:10 PM
The difference between robin and zoro is quite big. We knew nothing of Robin's past. Till enies lobby, we "thought" that her bounty was because she sank 8 marine ships or something like that.. O_o at enies lobby we learnt about her "complete" past.
With Zoro, already early in the series we knew about his complete past, excluding specific encounters possibly with Duval for example. So I doubt it will create room for character developement, but more likely for "Who are you?" kind of situation. :p

bittman
March 18, 2008, 02:03 AM
You don't need a hidden past to develop a character, or even a traumatic past. I'm not saying this guy is anything special to Zoro (might even be taunted by not remembering him) but Zoro's "well-known" past is not so "well-known". We know from discussion that Zoro had defeated a Baroques Works member in the past, but that didnt mean that we knew about it before or were even treated with a flashback then.

Again, past =/= character development. Past CAN be a tool for character development however and only Zoro (in my mind) has more years of pirate hatred than the others combined.

lelouch
April 12, 2008, 09:44 AM
Wheres the next review? :(

Sarmad
April 12, 2008, 11:54 AM
damn you lelouch XD
i got excited for nothing .. i thought that sahu posted his reviews ;(

Akainu
April 12, 2008, 12:15 PM
me 2 -.-
but as sahu stopped reviewing bleach I think same goes for OP :(
miss it.

sahugani
April 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
don't worry. i have not stopped reviewing One Piece. things have just gotten a bit hectic and the chapters built up, making it harder to catch up. its a top priority this weekend to catch up though so expect it to be released most likely tomorrow

Helltroll
April 12, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'm glad to hear that from you. I've been waiting patiently and now i finally need my fix :)
Nice Jubia sig btw.

pirate-hitman:L
April 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
Can anyone review? Even me?

Luckas
April 12, 2008, 06:44 PM
Can anyone review? Even me?

Naturally, I'm sure everyone will be happy to welcome a new reviewer for OP :)