PDA

View Full Version : Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 312)

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 12:20 AM
Well, I'm back sooner than I expected, although I'm still busy moving and all that. But I just read the chapter today (boy, lots of stuff to talk about!), so I decided while I still had some free time, I'm gonna ahead and comment on it! So here ya go, guys, hope you enjoy.

Please feel free to comment yourself if you would like to, and thanks for reading in advance!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 312: Impending Doom! * * *

http://www.leafninja.com/images/volume/312.gif

1. Smokin' Asuma. It's always strangely refreshing for me to see Asuma appear and smoking one of his trademark cigarettes. I don't want to sound like an advocate of tobacco (I'm FAR from it), but considering that cancer sticks have been forbidden in American comics lately, I think that's the reason. I mean, recently, Marvel Comics characters such as Wolverine, J. Jonah Jameson and Sgt. Fury all suddenly gave up the art of cigar-chomping. Just like that. It really wasn't done for story purposes, but simply because Marvel were afraid of being accused of tobacco advertising. As a result, they forbid their writers to include smoking in their stories for any of their iconic characters. At least that's what I hear, anyway.

The problem with that in my opinion is that it takes something away from the characters and the story. For example, why would Wolverine, with that healing factor of his, even care about quitting smoking? He would never have had to worry about the bad side-effects of smoking.

Anyway, it's just good to see Kishimoto play up Asuma's smoking as something that's just "part of him" in this cover... even if it might be something that may kill him before it's all said and done. Additionally, in a world of shinobi where you might be killed at any time, I'm surprised there aren't more smokers. It's just called good, realistic character writing. And, like it or not, it does make for an interesting character quirk and visual, which is important in manga.

The only thing I worry about is if it's just that the Japanese aren't aware of or don't care at all about the bad side-effects of smoking. If there's anybody here who lives in Japan or has been there, feel free to share any insights, will ya? Thanks ;)

2. Lets Get Cooking, Sensei! I don't blame Naruto for being excited. An Ultimate Ninjutsu that's even more powerful than the Rasengan, and something that would surpass anything Kakashi can do? I think Kakashi must definitely be counting on Naruto's access to the powerful Kyuubi's chakra here, if he's expecting Naruto to be capable of coming up with something like that. And perhaps a possible relationship to Yondaime, as well...

But would we actually credit the creation of this ninjutsu to Naruto, since Kakashi would probably be the one who thought the recipe up?

Still, Naruto can use any help he can get, that's for sure... it'll be interesting to see what this uber-jutsu might involve and how it could defeat Sasuke. Although, because it's going to be something completely new, it's probably not going to be the Hiraishin no Jutsu. Drat. =/

3. To the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Naruto! Sorry... I found it extremely amusing that Kakashi said that their training wouldn't be as quick as these often depicted in "manga" (obviously a reference to Dragonballz, one of Kishimoto's favorites), and yet almost in the next breath, he tells Naruto that he knows a shortcut so that they wouldn't waste any time.

Suddenly, memories of Son Goku and Son Gohan spending a year together in a time-proof chamber came to mind. Yeesh. I'm sure Kishimoto has something different in mind, though... ^^

4. Enter Team 10. Gotta admit, that was a cool entrance for a team (and for once, the cover wasn't false advertising!) Asuma sure is a cocky-seeming fellow, isn't he... I'm also kind of excited by the potential of Team Kakashi teaming up with Team Asuma, since I have a feeling that Ino, Shikamaru, and Chouji probably has the best teamwork going of any team in Naruto's generation right now. (Go, "Ino-Shika-Chō" combo!) So it'd be good for Naruto, Sakura and Sai to observe some outstanding teamwork and be inspired by it. It'd also be a pretty wild change from when Team 10 was considered the weakest team back in the Chuunin Exams. My guess is that they'd probably be among the strongest now.

Whatever happens, I'm just glad that Kishimoto is using some of the other characters now, like I thought he would. I figured that we'd have seen the end of personal character-development arcs in Part 2 with the last one, for now. Let's get this epic started!

5. Cupidimoto at Work? When Ino met Sai at the bottom of page 5, I immediately wondered if there was going to be something between these two. Ino certainly seems interested.

Kishimoto did say in an interview once that he would like to include more romance in Naruto - so might this be the beginning? If you want my opinion, I actually think Ino and Sai would make a cute couple. I'm also starting to realize that Sai's character is going to allow us to "meet" all these characters again from a "newbie's" point of perspective. That's kinda cool and keeps the story fresh, I think. And if that was Kishimoto's plan, then that explains why he didn't really include any of the other teams a lot in Part 2 until now. See why patience is such a good virtue? ^^

6. Exam's Already Over. Well, that should douse any speculation about Naruto's likely participation in a future Chuunin Exam for about three to five months at least. According to Shikamaru here, the Chuunin Exam that he had been supervising during the last arc has already concluded. Sorry, Naruto, you'll still be a genin for the bulk of Part 2, it seems. SufferinÂ’ succotash...!

Oh, speaking of Shikamaru's position as Examiner, I just thought about this... if you think about it, Shikamaru would actually be the perfect referee in these battles, since he can at any time use his jutsu to "freeze" the combatants to avoid any unnecessary deaths! Neither Genma or Hayate had that kind of skill as far as we know. And Shikamaru's also the type to be able to predict the moves of other shinobi to the point where he could tell when enough was enough! So, that was some pretty good thinking for Tsunade to appoint Shikamaru as an Examiner, eh?

7. These Guys ARE up to Something... First, I have a feeling Shikamaru has something in mind to help Team Kakashi out, what with that awkward exchange he had with Naruto and then his disappearance at the barbeque and all.

My guess is we'll find out about what he's up to in the next chapter. If it's something to do with the horns that his family is known for, we might be seeing Naruto gain a new hidden weapon or medical supplies (well, that'd be more appropriate for Sakura...)?

And then there's Asuma. He obviously had something to talk to Kakashi about. What I would love to see is a sort of wargame type of situation where Asuma and Kakashi could test the strength of each other's teams by pitting them against each other in a training exercise. And then have that evolve into advanced teamwork for when the two teams might have to share a mission together shortly afterwards (probably against the Akatsuki, if Tsunade has anything to say about it). It'd be pretty interesting. And that would possibly help Naruto recognize what he needs to do in order to come up with his uber-jutsu, too.

8. Couldn't Resist, eh, Sai...! Seriously, did you see the absolute glee on Sai's face when he came up with THAT nickname for Chouji? (Probably thought that it was pretty original, too... ha.) And how Chouji immediately sensed that he was about to be dissed? That to me was actually more entertaining than the following pages involving Sai, Ino, and Sakura, which wasn't all that unexpected. I knew that one was coming.

Although, I feel rather sorry for Sai... for once he came up with a nice nickname for somebody (Ino) and he still gets beat up! Nice going, Sakura, you really should've just sucked it up and let it go. Now Sai probably won't ever call YOU that.

9. "You're the Only One Left...?" Either the Akatsuki has forgotten about the Kyuubi, or they mean that the Two-Tails kunoichi is the last jinchuuriki whose identity they didn't know at all. I think it's the latter, although the report to Tsunade seem to also imply that the Akatsuki might have captured the rest. Which would make things seem more apoclyaptic, so would make more sense in the larger context of the story, but still... that was pretty fast for them, considering they only had two at the time of the Gaara abduction! Also, considering that they still haven't recovered Orochimaru's ring, could it be that the Leader decided to nab a jinchuuriki himself in place of Orochimaru? (Since there were only nine bijuu to start with, apparently...)

About the Two-Tails gal: I'm glad to see Kishimoto introduce a new female character, finally. I was wondering if he would ever do that. She also looks pretty different from all the other kunoichi we've been introduced to in the series, too, so I hope she'll hang around for a while - and it's also cool that she's seemingly into her late 20's or so. That's pretty good for a jinchuuriki. I'm thinking that the Two-Tails will escape, too, and end up meeting Naruto at some point and teaching him some valuable lessons, or vice versa.

10. New Akatsuki...! So now we know what two more of the Akatsuki look like, and their names, Hidan and Kakuzu! That was a cool bonus - I didn't think we would get any more Akatsuki activity for another arc or so. At this point, I'm going to assume that they've probably already found a replacement for Sasori (since they had the ring in their possession, thanks to Tobi, and Sasori had not found his jinchuuriki yet) so that means that we likely have three more unrevealed Akatsuki to go. Assuming Tobi didn't become one himself (for some reason, I doubt it.)

My impressions of Hidan and Kakuzu? Well, I initially thought Hidan looked like he was based on Creed, the villian from the Black Cat manga. Sort of reminiscent of how I felt Sasori was based on Faust from Shaman King. But I like that Hidan's normal looking in comparison with some of the others - at least outwardly, anyway. He seems like like he'd be a cold-blooded aristocrat, and if his physical attacks are weaker than the other Akatsuki in comparison, then he's probably got an hidden ace up his sleeves. My guess is he's actually more into genjutsu, just like Itachi.

As for Kakuzu, I like his design a lot. He definitely looks intimidating, but if he's supposed to be the "big muscleman" we saw back there in the first Akatsuki meeting in the cave, he looks a bit shorter and smaller here standing next to Hidan, which strikes me as somewhat odd. Maybe size manipulation is one of his abilities, just like Chouji's. Might just have been the angle, though. I'm guessing he probably has some dojutsu powers, too.

Well, I'm looking forward to learning more about the both of them. I'll also make a prediction right here and now, that Hidan will probably break the next Top 20 Favorites listing. :P

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. Definitely a chapter that gets a lot of people talking. Also, the introduction of new Akatsuki is always reason for celebration in Naruto fandom. I just hope they live up to the hype.

Predictions: My hope is to see the outcome of the whole Akatsuki affair with the Two-Tails, and to hear more about what exactly the Akatsuki has accomplished lately. I have a feeling we'll hear about what Shikamaru is up to as well, as well as Asuma and Kakashi.

Good chapter! ^^

rykarreolacr
June 27, 2006, 01:15 AM
Great comments as usual!!!

9. "You're the Only One Left...?" Either the Akatsuki has forgotten about the Kyuubi, or they mean that the Two-Tails kunoichi is the last jinchuuriki whose identity they didn't know at all. I think it's the latter, although the report to Tsunade seem to also imply that the Akatsuki might have captured the rest. Which would make things seem more apoclyaptic, so would make more sense in the larger context of the story, but still... that was pretty fast for them, considering they only had two at the time of the Gaara abduction! Also, considering that they still haven't recovered Orochimaru's ring, could it be that the Leader decided to nab a jinchuuriki himself in place of Orochimaru? (Since there were only nine bijuu to start with, apparently...)

I think that what Akatsuki meant there is that the nibi girl is the only survivor of their incursion. They're assuming that she's the one they are looking for, since she's the only one left.

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 01:34 AM
That might be it, yeah. :thumbs

destinator
June 27, 2006, 02:14 AM
Really nice and informative especially the smoking part o.O I didnt knew marvel stopped to show smoking charachters o.O

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 02:36 AM
Yeah. Wolverine hasn't been seen smoking in quite awhile now... more drinking beer. Apparently Marvel thinks that's okay =/

EDIT: Outside of the movies anyway, which is another funny thing. The movies seem to actually flaunt Wolverine's smoking habit. Oh well.

destinator
June 27, 2006, 02:38 AM
Yeah. Wolverine hasn't been seen smoking in quite awhile now... more drinking beer. Apparently Marvel thinks that's okay =/

Well I am not a smoking fan especially I hate the advertisement everywhere but still its stupid to remove that from a comic/manga. As you said why should he care about smoking with his regeneration abilities...

Brede
June 27, 2006, 02:42 AM

lol, as long as he doesn't drive afterwards... :smile-big

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 02:47 AM
Especially on Cyke's cycle! :iik

Brede
June 27, 2006, 02:48 AM
9. "You're the Only One Left...?" Either the Akatsuki has forgotten about the Kyuubi, or they mean that the Two-Tails kunoichi is the last jinchuuriki whose identity they didn't know at all.

i'll have to go with ryka's post:

I think that what Akatsuki meant there is that the nibi girl is the only survivor of their incursion. They're assuming that she's the one they are looking for, since she's the only one left.

since kakuzu told hidan to 'be careful, this is the two-tail'. if they have been specifically looking for her from the beginning, kakuzu's remark seems a little redundant.

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 02:55 AM
^ Not if Kakuzu perceived Hidan to be a bit too careless at the moment, which I think he did. A reminder to him that their opponent was the Two-Tails was probably meant to make Hidan a bit more cautious, even though Hidan himself had already recognized that she was the last one. The comment obviously failed. (Seems like Hidan's a bit of a loose cannon.)

Still, I agree with rykar, that's probably what they meant, regardless ^^

Raine_Joybringer
June 27, 2006, 03:25 AM
I'm having trouble with Hidan's personality. He's either a very serious person, or he's extremely sarcastic...

If he's the serious type, then (And I've posted this on the discussion thread too) I get the feeling he knows more about the Nibi girl than he's letting on. Have you noticed the state of his chest? Looks like he's got scars or something there. It's possible he has some health condition as well, relating to his physical abilities and how "slow" he is. But that's just my theory...

Anyway, nice comments as always, GK :3 I love your observations on Sai's interactions with Team 10. I'm actually excited to wonder how he'll interact with the other groups, especially what nickname he'll come up with for Hinata (Poor girl's in for a shock I feel).

Hehe, point 2 just instantly made me think 'IRON CHEF NO JUTSU!'.

Dragonzair
June 27, 2006, 04:28 AM
I mean, recently, Marvel Comics characters such as Wolverine, J. Jonah Jameson and Sgt. Fury all suddenly gave up the art of cigar-chomping.

OMFG.

Not Wolvy. Is that why I don't see him smoking anymore?! T_T

3. To the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Naruto! Sorry... I found it extremely amusing that Kakashi said that their training wouldn't be as quick as these often depicted in "manga" (obviously a reference to Dragonballz, one of Kishimoto's favorites), and yet almost in the next breath, he tells Naruto that he knows a shortcut so that they wouldn't waste any time.

Suddenly, memories of Son Goku and Son Gohan spending a year together in a time-proof chamber came to mind. Yeesh. I'm sure Kishimoto has something different in mind, though... ^^

Meh. Very true. XD

Although, I remember Mentos (Jabbs, if you don't remember) saying that Kakashi could train Naruto with his magekyou. Manipulate time within his own world, making it seem a short training in the real world for Naruto. *spazzes*

My impressions of Hidan and Kakuzu? Well, I initially thought Hidan looked like he was based on Creed, the villian from the Black Cat manga. Sort of reminiscent of how I felt Sasori was based on Faust from Shaman King. But I like that Hidan's normal looking in comparison with some of the others - at least outwardly, anyway. He seems like like he'd be a cold-blooded aristocrat, and if his physical attacks are weaker than the other Akatsuki in comparison, then he's probably got an hidden ace up his sleeves. My guess is he's actually more into genjutsu, just like Itachi.

Okay. Fine I'll admt Hidan resembles Creed. But...not so much. T_____T Creed is too gay. T_T

About the Two-Tails gal: I'm glad to see Kishimoto introduce a new female character, finally. I was wondering if he would ever do that. She also looks pretty different from all the other kunoichi we've been introduced to in the series, too, so I hope she'll hang around for a while - and it's also cool that she's seemingly into her late 20's or so. That's pretty good for a jinchuuriki. I'm thinking that the Two-Tails will escape, too, and end up meeting Naruto at some point and teaching him some valuable lessons, or vice versa.
*is hoping that too* :wtf

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. Definitely a chapter that gets a lot of people talking. Also, the introduction of new Akatsuki is always reason for celebration in Naruto fandom. I just hope they live up to the hype.

:drool I agree whole-heartedly with your ratings (I'm not...being biased >_>;;) And I don't know why but this was the best ten comments from you, Ken chan. >_>;; (again, not biased)

And, you were right. :P We did get to see him.

ShgnLW
June 27, 2006, 04:32 AM
The only thing I worry about is if it's just that the Japanese aren't aware of or don't care at all about the bad side-effects of smoking. If there's anybody here who lives in Japan or has been there, feel free to share any insights, will ya? Thanks ;)

Well, this semester I have a course named Cross Cultural Managemnt basics. It says that when you ask a Japanese Manager "what will make a good company" they would say "If we done something what society needs." Don't think that this is something social, people. They actually mean that they have a good company when there market share is big.
Furthermore, Japanese people are people who investigate other cultures. There was also a quote in that book something about Romans but I don't know anymore :)
My point is, is that Kishimoto knew from the start that Naruto would be read by Americans also, and he saw that comic figures like Wolverine were famous partly due to the fact that they were smokers.

Hmm, maybe this will help ya a bit, or maybe a discussion will break free, so that we can come up with an answer quickly. I just gave the relevant theory ;) and a little conclusion, but I doubt that that is the conlcusion, maybe we think to far, precisely what Kishimoto wants, and is it only the set-up of the character ;)

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 04:39 AM
@ Raine - I don't think Hidan is being either serious or sarcastic. I doubt he's being self-depreciating either. I think he just knows that he annoys the others (or just Kakuzu) for some reason (probably either him being the weakest, or his attitude in general), but doesn't really care because for some reason the Akatsuki still need him, so he's safe. So he's laughing it up and doing things his own way, and I guess he's just being your typical cocky young punk looking to have a good time. So... what is it about him that the Akatsuki decide is worth keeping him around?

I did think there was something odd about Hidan's chest, but didn't really think about it too deeply... you might be onto something there.

@ DZ - LoL. Any chapter with Asuma is going to make you happy, isn't it? I'll admit while I was reading this chapter, you kept popping into my mind because I knew you probably loved this chapter just 'cause Asuma was in it.

Jabbs has a good theory about the training, but that would basically emulate the 'Hyperbolic Time Chamber' to an extent. Plus, I'd think it would wear Kakashi out if he had to use his MS to train Naruto. Still, might be what he's planning to do. On both counts, I say, Bleh...

@ ShgnLW - thanks. I do think the Japanese did recognize smoking as something of a cultural phenomenon useful for storytelling purposes and Kishimoto just used it for that reason, but remained aware of its hazards.

Dragonzair
June 27, 2006, 05:10 AM
@ DZ - LoL. Any chapter with Asuma is going to make you happy, isn't it? I'll admit while I was reading this chapter, you kept popping into my mind because I knew you probably loved this chapter just 'cause Asuma was in it.

>_>;; Mentos popped in and demanded I read the chapter. >_>;; Well.

I guess my "I WILL NOT READ ANYMORE NARUTO UNTILL I SEE BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH" didn't last very long. ._.

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 06:14 AM
Is that good or bad? I'd think it'd be a good thing... XD

Besides, how would you know if you didn't read further chapters of Naruto... :smile-big

Arsonist
June 27, 2006, 06:30 AM
@ Raine - I don't think Hidan is being either serious or sarcastic. I doubt he's being self-depreciating either. I think he just knows that he annoys the others (or just Kakuzu) for some reason (probably either him being the weakest, or his attitude in general),

I don't recall him saying he is the weakest. I remember saying slowest. Maybe we're thinking the same but my guess is Hidan has slow speed in exchange for raw attackpower. (You have to be strong to wield that THING!)

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 07:25 AM
That was just a guess on my part. ^^

We know Kisame has the hugest amount of chakra; Itachi is obviously one of the most feared guys, Sasori was stronger than Deidara which is saying something; Zetsu seems like he'd be a scary opponent. And the Leader, well, seems like his pinkie would radiate crazy power...

I'd guess Hidan is likely on the lower echelon of the whole organization based on his comment of being the slowest. No idea about Kakuzu, incidentally.

But seems like Hidan wasn't even really wielding that huge three-bladed scythe, but rather manipulating it through the cords wrapped around his arm. Sheer willpower, not muscle, there. I'm not sure what that says about his skill, though. Maybe he's telekinetic as long as he has some sort of conduit to the object.

CheckMate
June 27, 2006, 07:38 AM
I'd guess Hidan is likely on the lower echelon of the whole organization based on his comment of being the slowest. No idea about Kakuzu, incidentally.

But seems like Hidan wasn't even really wielding that huge three-bladed scythe, but rather manipulating it through the cords wrapped around his arm. Sheer willpower, not muscle, there. I'm not sure what that says about his skill, though. Maybe he's telekinetic as long as he has some sort of conduit to the object.

yeah maybe there is something to do with alchemist - a skill to manipulate thing

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 07:41 AM
Say, you_know_who, you gotta update your avatar now, I think. ;)

ibra87
June 27, 2006, 07:42 AM
When Ino met Sai at the bottom of page 5, I immediately wondered if there was going to be something between these two. Ino certainly seems interested.

Kishimoto did say in an interview once that he would like to include more romance in Naruto - so might this be the beginning?

Agreed. My first thought as well (funny enough I read the interview a bit before I read the chapter).

My guess is he's actually more into genjutsu, just like Itachi.

I won't be sure of that. I mean, why would a genjutsu type have a gigantice scythe as a weapon?

And I kind of agree on all the others. Great comments as usual :D

Meno
June 27, 2006, 06:49 PM
The only thing I worry about is if it's just that the Japanese aren't aware of or don't care at all about the bad side-effects of smoking. If there's anybody here who lives in Japan or has been there, feel free to share any insights, will ya? Thanks As someone who is currently visiting Japan atm, I can tell you this. Everyone smokes. Everyone. The entire city stinks of it. You enter game parlors and all you can smell is smoke. I almost gagged the first time I entered Tokyo. It's that bad. The Japanese think nothing of smoking from what I know. The last time I went into a restaurant, the smoking section was half again as large as the non-smoking section.

Gold Knight
June 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
^ Whoa!!!

Well, that puts a perspective on things, doesn't it. Thanks, menobaka.

Anax
June 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
Great comments yet again Firu :ossu

i) I too agree with Rykar concerning the nibi girl being the last one...
ii) I also think she's beautiful and hope she survives long enough to show some catty attitude. However, having read Dyroness' post on bijuu, having making the connection with Kakuzu's comment (something along the lines of "a small mistake spells death") and the relation Gaara and Naruto have with their bijuu, I fear she won't be the way I would have imagined her to be. Still, I bet I'll like her anyhow (yeah, I'm biased).
iii) As far as guiding Naruto goes, I think Kakashi will merely show him how to make a jutsu, not set the template for one. I assume Sasuke's equialent would be "that" jutsu Orochi didn't let him use. One could think Chidori Nagashi is the one, but it's clear the template for that one was Kakashi's Chidori, a jutsu Kakashi made himself, thus I concluded Sasuke's own jutsu would have to be something we have yet to see. Personally I hope Kishimoto surprises us all with something truly inovative, giving Sasuke and Naruto ultimate jutsus that have nothing to do with Kakashi, Orochi, Yondaime, Jiraiya or anyone else for that matter...
iv) As far as romance goes... I was sad that Ino liked Sai. She has always been nagging to Chouji about his weight and all, plus she told him he looked good back then when he used the pills and lost a pile of fat. So, I kinda thought she would get accustomed to his over size, or even grow to like him through certain events. Sai came and ruined everything :yell Well, Shikamaru is made for Temari, Sakura for Sasuke or something and Naruto for Hinata... but let's not get into Naruto couples right now, the future chapters might make us see things from utterly different perspectives :D

Ok, that's all for now... keep up the good work GK!! (we need to bring this ten comments thing to the spotlight :p )

kadoman
June 28, 2006, 04:40 PM
Good job as always GK.

Here I go again, but I still think Hidan looks like Char from Mobile Suit Gundam (Char's Counter Attack to be precise). Heard of that? Probably not! Well, all the youngins' say he looks like Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter (which he does). But I'm feeling as ancient as Treebeard right now, cos nobody has heard of Char!!!!:D

I wonder if Kishi is now attempting to bring some romantic comedy into the manga since he has hinted in interviews a couple of times that he would like to do this. I just posted some recent sample interview questions where he says he 'hopes something will happen' in the love lives of Ino and Sakura (and Hinata! ugh!).

ibra87
June 28, 2006, 05:02 PM
Good job as always GK. But I'm feeling as ancient as Treebeard right now, cos nobody has heard of Char!!!!:D

Here you go (at least now we'll know how he looks :) ):
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1517/char4zc.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1330/40485298380jq.jpg

Gold Knight
June 28, 2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Char does look like Hidan :amuse

Anax, Ino has always seemed very shallow to me, and I didn't expect that to change in 2 years. I agree with you on the rest of your comments.

Raine_Joybringer
June 28, 2006, 09:55 PM
Isn't it ironic that Ino acts shallow yet she has the ability to take over people's souls?

Gold Knight
June 28, 2006, 11:42 PM
Definitely. ^^

Rampages
June 28, 2006, 11:56 PM
I don't want to bash any characters, but I hope the two-tails dies as soon as possible without being introduced. This will give more of a sense of urgency to the story, adding to the fact that Sasuke will soon give up his body or betray Oro. It would be cool for Naruto to soon be the last surviving Jinchuuriki.

About "the last one", I think it might be the last unknown jinchuuriki to akatsuki or the last member of her three-man cell.

ibra87
June 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
About "the last one", I think it might be the last unknown jinchuuriki to akatsuki or the last member of her three-man cell.

I think so too. Naruto is still alive. I also hope she runs away or somebody comes to save her. Even though it's most likely that they git rid of her :S

And one thing I was thinking about, Gold Knight, is that I really wouldn't give this chapter 5/5. I know that it's great and all, but still I was expecting to hear what the training was and skipping that let me down :(. I would probably give it about 4.5.

Sariachan
June 29, 2006, 07:54 AM
[...]
1. Smokin' Asuma. It's always strangely refreshing for me to see Asuma appear and smoking one of his trademark cigarettes. I don't want to sound like an advocate of tobacco (I'm FAR from it), but considering that cancer sticks have been forbidden in American comics lately, I think that's the reason. I mean, recently, Marvel Comics characters such as Wolverine, J. Jonah Jameson and Sgt. Fury all suddenly gave up the art of cigar-chomping. Just like that. It really wasn't done for story purposes, but simply because Marvel were afraid of being accused of tobacco advertising. As a result, they forbid their writers to include smoking in their stories for any of their iconic characters. At least that's what I hear, anyway.
The problem with that in my opinion is that it takes something away from the characters and the story. For example, why would Wolverine, with that healing factor of his, even care about quitting smoking? He would never have had to worry about the bad side-effects of smoking.
Anyway, it's just good to see Kishimoto play up Asuma's smoking as something that's just "part of him" in this cover... even if it might be something that may kill him before it's all said and done. Additionally, in a world of shinobi where you might be killed at any time, I'm surprised there aren't more smokers. It's just called good, realistic character writing. And, like it or not, it does make for an interesting character quirk and visual, which is important in manga.

I hate smoke, and I don't smoke myself, but what I hate much more is when people care too much about who fictional characters do. It isn't real, is it hard to understand?
What you said about Marvel comics would have been a reasons for stopping reading those comics, if I read them in the first place.
As you said, something like smoking a cigarette could add a lot to the characterization of a character, so it's good using it in manga, comics, ecc...
After all, the real problme with smoke is that some people smoke too much... I bet one cigarette a day wouldn't kill anyone (like one glass of vine a day wouldn't hurt, either).
Moderation is the key for everything. ;)
About Japan, I don't really know what they think about smoke, anywa in many drama I saw they don't really care.

2. Lets Get Cooking, Sensei! I don't blame Naruto for being excited. An Ultimate Ninjutsu that's even more powerful than the Rasengan, and something that would surpass anything Kakashi can do? I think Kakashi must definitely be counting on Naruto's access to the powerful Kyuubi's chakra here, if he's expecting Naruto to be capable of coming up with something like that. And perhaps a possible relationship to Yondaime, as well...
But would we actually credit the creation of this ninjutsu to Naruto, since Kakashi would probably be the one who thought the recipe up?
Still, Naruto can use any help he can get, that's for sure... it'll be interesting to see what this uber-jutsu might involve and how it could defeat Sasuke. Although, because it's going to be something completely new, it's probably not going to be the Hiraishin no Jutsu. Drat. =/

I don't think it will be a Kyuubi-related jutsu, but a Kage Bunshin-related one. That would explain why only Naruto could do it, since he's specialized in Kage Bunshin.
Anyway, I wonder if Kakashi said that to do something about Naruto's confidence... I bet Kakashi talked with Jiraiya about "that jutsu" (which I think is something Naruto created by himself, but never completed, therefore Jiraiya warned Naruto not to use it -maybe there are side-effects if not perfectly done-).

I'm not worried about that, Kishimoto knows what he's doing. ^^

4. Enter Team 10. Gotta admit, that was a cool entrance for a team (and for once, the cover wasn't false advertising!) Asuma sure is a cocky-seeming fellow, isn't he... I'm also kind of excited by the potential of Team Kakashi teaming up with Team Asuma, since I have a feeling that Ino, Shikamaru, and Chouji probably has the best teamwork going of any team in Naruto's generation right now. (Go, "Ino-Shika-Chō" combo!) So it'd be good for Naruto, Sakura and Sai to observe some outstanding teamwork and be inspired by it. It'd also be a pretty wild change from when Team 10 was considered the weakest team back in the Chuunin Exams. My guess is that they'd probably be among the strongest now.
Whatever happens, I'm just glad that Kishimoto is using some of the other characters now, like I thought he would. I figured that we'd have seen the end of personal character-development arcs in Part 2 with the last one, for now. Let's get this epic started!

Being Shikamaru my third favourite character, I would love to see him and his team work togheter with Naruto and the others in a mission. They could go after Akatsuki, since Tsunade apparently knows their moves and she could want to stop them collecting biju.

5. Cupidimoto at Work? When Ino met Sai at the bottom of page 5, I immediately wondered if there was going to be something between these two. Ino certainly seems interested.
Kishimoto did say in an interview once that he would like to include more romance in Naruto - so might this be the beginning? If you want my opinion, I actually think Ino and Sai would make a cute couple. I'm also starting to realize that Sai's character is going to allow us to "meet" all these characters again from a "newbie's" point of perspective. That's kinda cool and keeps the story fresh, I think. And if that was Kishimoto's plan, then that explains why he didn't really include any of the other teams a lot in Part 2 until now. See why patience is such a good virtue? ^^

Sai the observer, I said that since almost the first time we saw him! I like his role, really. :)
Then, about SaiIno... I'm a fan of InoCHou so I wouldn't really like that, anyway that scene was more for comedy than anything else.

6. Exam's Already Over. Well, that should douse any speculation about Naruto's likely participation in a future Chuunin Exam for about three to five months at least. According to Shikamaru here, the Chuunin Exam that he had been supervising during the last arc has already concluded. Sorry, Naruto, you'll still be a genin for the bulk of Part 2, it seems. SufferinÂ’ succotash...!

*fangirls in me*: Nooo! I wanted to see Gaara again! ;__;
Anyway, I'm starting to think that Naruto will take another Chuunin Exam one day, and he will be with Sasuke. Poor the other genin who will be there! XD

Oh, speaking of Shikamaru's position as Examiner, I just thought about this... if you think about it, Shikamaru would actually be the perfect referee in these battles, since he can at any time use his jutsu to "freeze" the combatants to avoid any unnecessary deaths! Neither Genma or Hayate had that kind of skill as far as we know. And Shikamaru's also the type to be able to predict the moves of other shinobi to the point where he could tell when enough was enough! So, that was some pretty good thinking for Tsunade to appoint Shikamaru as an Examiner, eh?

You're right, and I think he'll become a teacher too, llater. ^^

7. These Guys ARE up to Something... First, I have a feeling Shikamaru has something in mind to help Team Kakashi out, what with that awkward exchange he had with Naruto and then his disappearance at the barbeque and all.
My guess is we'll find out about what he's up to in the next chapter. If it's something to do with the horns that his family is known for, we might be seeing Naruto gain a new hidden weapon or medical supplies (well, that'd be more appropriate for Sakura...)?

I fear something bad could happen at Shikamaru's dad and other older Konoha ninja, in the next chapter... that would explain that sidenote on one of the pages... :(

And then there's Asuma. He obviously had something to talk to Kakashi about. What I would love to see is a sort of wargame type of situation where Asuma and Kakashi could test the strength of each other's teams by pitting them against each other in a training exercise. And then have that evolve into advanced teamwork for when the two teams might have to share a mission together shortly afterwards (probably against the Akatsuki, if Tsunade has anything to say about it). It'd be pretty interesting. And that would possibly help Naruto recognize what he needs to do in order to come up with his uber-jutsu, too.

More than a team against the other, could be Yamato and Asuma against the younger nins. I think Kakashi can't fight yet, he's still in bed. He can still teach to Naruto, though.

8. Couldn't Resist, eh, Sai...! Seriously, did you see the absolute glee on Sai's face when he came up with THAT nickname for Chouji? (Probably thought that it was pretty original, too... ha.) And how Chouji immediately sensed that he was about to be dissed? That to me was actually more entertaining than the following pages involving Sai, Ino, and Sakura, which wasn't all that unexpected. I knew that one was coming.

The best thing about having Sai in Naruto's team is that now we have someone more naive than Naruto next to him, which makes him a bit the leader like Sasuke was (of course a different type of leader, but still a reader).
Kishimoto is showing the story a bit more from Sai's perspective than Naruto's or Sakura's, too. I think he's setting the scene for Naruto's development in a really good way, plotwise. Maybe Kishimoto wants the reader to see Naruto from the outside, like the other characters of the story will see him, and not only from the inside like he did until now.

Although, I feel rather sorry for Sai... for once he came up with a nice nickname for somebody (Ino) and he still gets beat up! Nice going, Sakura, you really should've just sucked it up and let it go. Now Sai probably won't ever call YOU that.

Sakura's behaviour with Sai is really particular. It's a mix between how she acts with Sasuke and Naruto imho, and that could lead to a really believable SaiSaku pairing imho. She acts as her true self with Sai, as she does with Naruto, but she like Sai's looks and what he has like Sasuke (the voice, the calm attitude). They also share the same interests (one hint was seeing both of them in the library, even id for different reasons). FInally, she tried to talk to him since the start of their encounter, much more than Naruto, and she can understand his art and could like that side of him, too.
The problem is that Sai doesn't seem to like girls, if you know what I'm trying to say... or, at least, girls like Sakura or Ino.
Sai could like Hinata, though, since her principles are the same as Naruto's.

I think that with "the last" they were talking about her team, not the group of jinchuuriki. They could have said that to make her surrender, since she was alone.

I'm on the edge of my chair, so much I want to know more about this new character. After Naruto's and Gaara's past, I can't really wait to see her background, personality and attitude towards "normal" people. Kishimoto knows how much a new jinchuuriki could add in the story, so the story arc that has just started could be really, really important.
I think she isn't too old, though. I bet she isn't more than 24-25 years old.

10. New Akatsuki...! So now we know what two more of the Akatsuki look like, and their names, Hidan and Kakuzu! That was a cool bonus - I didn't think we would get any more Akatsuki activity for another arc or so. At this point, I'm going to assume that they've probably already found a replacement for Sasori (since they had the ring in their possession, thanks to Tobi, and Sasori had not found his jinchuuriki yet) so that means that we likely have three more unrevealed Akatsuki to go. Assuming Tobi didn't become one himself (for some reason, I doubt it.)
[/quote]
Instead, I'm pretty sure that Tobi is a member by now.
I'm not so excited about the two new Aatsuki, though. The only Akatsuki characters I like are Sasori and Tobi.
Of course, it's still early to judge them, but they entrance didn't impressed me.

If Hidan is a genjutsu user I could like him a bit more, if you think that the only things I like about Itachi are his techniques.

As for Kakuzu, I like his design a lot. He definitely looks intimidating, but if he's supposed to be the "big muscleman" we saw back there in the first Akatsuki meeting in the cave, he looks a bit shorter and smaller here standing next to Hidan, which strikes me as somewhat odd. Maybe size manipulation is one of his abilities, just like Chouji's. Might just have been the angle, though. I'm guessing he probably has some dojutsu powers, too.

Are you sure that Kakuzu is the same giant character we saw in the cave?

Well, I'm looking forward to learning more about the both of them. I'll also make a prediction right here and now, that Hidan will probably break the next Top 20 Favorites listing. :P

I really hope not, Deidara was already too hight for my tastes, and Deidara's design is much better imho.

P.S. I just had and idea about Kakashi's training with Naruto... but it's something I want to make a thread about. I'll write it in narutofan, check the theories forum, if you want. ^^

clarity142
June 29, 2006, 05:32 PM

Yep, exam's already over. I think Naruto will go from genin straight to hokage like Gaara. Just check-out this page (http://www.narutochuushin.com/main.php?category=multimedia&page=manga/&subdir1=chapter043/&subdir2=chapter043_17#) from chapter 43 ;)

Gold Knight
June 29, 2006, 07:00 PM
LoL, that's awesome, clarity. I had totally forgotten all about that page. If Kishimoto was indeed doing some foreshadowing there, that's great stuff. *Ossu* ^^

And looks like you're getting what you wish, Rampage, with our look at 313. =/

@ ibra87 - Kishimoto has been known to lead readers into a suspenseful wait in order to learn anything of real value. But the revelations of the two new Akatsuki was a lot more interesting to me than the training at the moment. I guess it's all about what you were wanting to know right away, but I had been waiting to see more of the Akatsuki for a year. It was almost an automatic 5/5 for me, really, because I was jazzed about it all week. I hadn't felt that way in a while.

I don't think it will be a Kyuubi-related jutsu, but a Kage Bunshin-related one. That would explain why only Naruto could do it, since he's specialized in Kage Bunshin.

I meant I think it would have something to do with the tremendous amount of chakra that Naruto has inside him, due to the Kyuubi. That's something Kakashi doesn't have, at least to our knowledge. It definitely could be the Kage Bunshin that's the main focus of Naruto's training, though, especially since it's his trademark move.

Then, about SaiIno... I'm a fan of InoCHou so I wouldn't really like that, anyway that scene was more for comedy than anything else.

Seems like there's a lot of InoChou fans out there, lol.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that Naruto will take another Chuunin Exam one day, and he will be with Sasuke. Poor the other genin who will be there! XD

Before Sai came along, I thought you're right, the only way Naruto would be ready to fully concentrate on preparing for the Chuunin Exams is if Sasuke re-joined Team 7 and took the exams with him. But I'm starting to feel that Sai is actually supposed to replace Sasuke for good. So now I have a feeling clarity is right, and Naruto is probably going to will himself to be Hokage despite being a genin.

I fear something bad could happen at Shikamaru's dad and other older Konoha ninja, in the next chapter... that would explain that sidenote on one of the pages... :(

Good prediction. Maybe it'll be a battle if nothing else, I do want to see them in action sometimes.

The best thing about having Sai in Naruto's team is that now we have someone more naive than Naruto next to him, which makes him a bit the leader like Sasuke was (of course a different type of leader, but still a reader).

Very good point... Naruto's shutting up Sai was definitely something we haven't seen him do before.

Kishimoto is showing the story a bit more from Sai's perspective than Naruto's or Sakura's, too. I think he's setting the scene for Naruto's development in a really good way, plotwise. Maybe Kishimoto wants the reader to see Naruto from the outside, like the other characters of the story will see him, and not only from the inside like he did until now.

Yep!

Sakura's behaviour with Sai is really particular. It's a mix between how she acts with Sasuke and Naruto imho, and that could lead to a really believable SaiSaku pairing imho. She acts as her true self with Sai, as she does with Naruto, but she like Sai's looks and what he has like Sasuke (the voice, the calm attitude). They also share the same interests (one hint was seeing both of them in the library, even id for different reasons). FInally, she tried to talk to him since the start of their encounter, much more than Naruto, and she can understand his art and could like that side of him, too.

You might be onto something there, but by the time Sakura's done with Sai, he may not look so much like Sasuke anymore and more like Dosu, if you know what I mean. =/

The problem is that Sai doesn't seem to like girls, if you know what I'm trying to say... or, at least, girls like Sakura or Ino.

Haha. Given his obsession for "chinpo," you might be right.

I think that with "the last" they were talking about her team, not the group of jinchuuriki. They could have said that to make her surrender, since she was alone.

Yes, but it seems from reading 313 that the Akatsuki are definitely on the move regarding the other jinchuuriki, too.

I'm on the edge of my chair, so much I want to know more about this new character. After Naruto's and Gaara's past, I can't really wait to see her background, personality and attitude towards "normal" people. Kishimoto knows how much a new jinchuuriki could add in the story, so the story arc that has just started could be really, really important.
I think she isn't too old, though. I bet she isn't more than 24-25 years old.

I think you're right from the looks of 313, I'll comment more on her in my next Ten Comments ^^

Instead, I'm pretty sure that Tobi is a member by now.

If he is, then he's probably working with Zetsu now...

I'm not so excited about the two new Aatsuki, though. The only Akatsuki characters I like are Sasori and Tobi.
Of course, it's still early to judge them, but they entrance didn't impressed me.
If Hidan is a genjutsu user I could like him a bit more, if you think that the only things I like about Itachi are his techniques.

Looks like his techniques are something else entirely...

Are you sure that Kakuzu is the same giant character we saw in the cave?

I don't think that so much anymore after seeing 313. He could be the other unknown.

I really hope not, Deidara was already too hight for my tastes, and Deidara's design is much better imho.

Weird how Deidara became popular so quickly, yeah.

P.S. I just had and idea about Kakashi's training with Naruto... but it's something I want to make a thread about. I'll write it in narutofan, check the theories forum, if you want. ^^

Ok ^^

Strangehat
June 29, 2006, 11:12 PM
Woo! :D I'm soo late.

3. Hyperbolic Time Chamber - I get this crazy sense that Kakashi is going to Tsukuyomi Naruto a few years to cook up a ninjutsu. :| Houshin Engi employed a similar technique near the end with their Sangakokuzu (I think that was the name) paopei. It seems like a bit of a stretch, but if you think of it like Tsukuyomi being able to compact any amount of time inside an instant, it will probably work. (I'm not 100% sure if this was brought up yet. Aah please don't axe me~)

Also, being a terrible terrible Akatsuki fanboy (I'm so hopeless) this chapter and 313 were immensely satisfying for me. I'm .. uh.. still trying to figure out where Hidan and Kakuzu fit into the silhouette layout in 238-18. The idea that Kakuzu might be able to grow crossed my mind. He might also be the Akatsuki kunoichi Kishimoto promised awhile back in an interview (I think. Don't quote me on that :|) Still. It's hard to match him, given that none of the unidentified silhouettes seem to exactly match Hidan. I'm thinking he probably needs to be Miner (the fellow who looks like he's wearing a miner's cap on the right). I need to go back to their summoning ritual and see if I can identify any of the new silhouettes with this information, but I need to find the chapters on my HD. :(

Anyway, looking forward to your next ten comments o_o\ wassoo!

Gold Knight
June 30, 2006, 12:53 AM
Thanks for commenting Strangehat :D And yeah, the Tsukuyomi theory seems to be growing popular, I've heard that one. I personally hope that Kishimoto has something more creative in mind, but if not, oh well... plus, wouldn't it wear Kakashi out like the dickens to do a training exercise like that?

And yeah, the silhouette deal is REALLY confusing as far as the Akatsuki. =/ I'd love it if Kishimoto would come back to that scene sometimes and show us who everybody was XD (minus Sasori, of course.. R.I.P. )

Really, Kishimoto promised an Akatsuki kunoichi? XD Lol, if Kakuzu turns out to be female........ :rofl

The Summoning Rituals occured from chapters 254 - 263, most of it in volume 29, just fyi. :)

And I'll try to write some Ten Comments for 313 up tomorrow.

kadoman
June 30, 2006, 02:28 AM
Also, being a terrible terrible Akatsuki fanboy (I'm so hopeless) this chapter and 313 were immensely satisfying for me.

Not meaning to hijack GK's wonderful thread, but if you're an Akatsuki fanboy, I'd look forward to seeing your comments in the Akatsuki Thread in the Toshokan! Hee hee...bit cheeky of me, wasn't it GK? What can I say? I like to recruit quality posters!:D

Strangehat
June 30, 2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks for commenting Strangehat :D And yeah, the Tsukuyomi theory seems to be growing popular, I've heard that one. I personally hope that Kishimoto has something more creative in mind, but if not, oh well... plus, wouldn't it wear Kakashi out like the dickens to do a training exercise like that?

And yeah, the silhouette deal is REALLY confusing as far as the Akatsuki. =/ I'd love it if Kishimoto would come back to that scene sometimes and show us who everybody was XD (minus Sasori, of course.. R.I.P. )

Really, Kishimoto promised an Akatsuki kunoichi? XD Lol, if Kakuzu turns out to be female........ :rofl

The Summoning Rituals occured from chapters 254 - 263, most of it in volume 29, just fyi. :)

And I'll try to write some Ten Comments for 313 up tomorrow.

Excellent. ._. I'll be sure to enjoy them.

And, yeah. Some practical research revealed to me that everyone and their mother had the Tsukuyomi-training thought before I did. XD I would hope Kishimoto has something up his sleeve too, but at one point I swore on my sister's life that Kakashi would never develop the Mangekyou Sharingan on account that it would be too painful.

I'm an only child...now. :|

Oh. I'm not able to locate exactly where I originally read this, but a vague copy of the interview is over here: http://hayakunoforum.forumactif.com/ftopic2187.Interview-de-Kishimoto-des-decouvertes.htm
I seem to remember it was at one point on Narutoforums. The forum itself claims Sho translated it. o.o Some folks are suggesting that he merely promised a strong kunoichi, tho. If Kakuzu or Hidan doesn't have an ability to grow madly in size, that leaves merely Shijou and Giant to be the aforementioned Akatsuki kunoichi. ... with Shijou's manly voice from their meeting in the anime, process of elimination would leave her to be Giant?! While I have to assume that my logic or information is flawed somehow, the image evoked to me is a giant robed woman rampaging through Konoha, stomping on ninjas and breathing EVIL FIRES OF "暁".. That still makes me giggle.
I figure if Kishimoto /doesn't/ do a lineup after they're all revealed before the manga is up, there'll be a riot. No worries tho--we can replace Sasori with a stick wearing one of his robes and a giant smiley face sign. We know you're there in spirit, Sasori-danna. ~_~;

Anyway. Thanks for the info! I'll go check it out when I'm done cleaning. e.e d

gh--but, getting kidnapped by fellow Akatsuki fans! :|!

gerop
June 30, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hello,

Just would like to ask if there are older posts of "Ten Comments" and where to find them pls?

Thanks !

rykarreolacr
June 30, 2006, 02:57 PM
Just would like to ask if there are older posts of "Ten Comments" and where to find them pls?

They are all here:
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=106.0

Gold Knight
June 30, 2006, 04:33 PM
Hope ya enjoy them gerop :)

And LOL @ Strangehat's "only child" comment. :D And that's some "interview" - Kishimoto wasn't really allowed to say much, did he? =/

ibra87
June 30, 2006, 07:57 PM
Hope ya enjoy them gerop :)

And LOL @ Strangehat's "only child" comment. :D And that's some "interview" - Kishimoto wasn't really allowed to say much, did he? =/

Or kidoman just removed every bad comment Kishi had to say about the akatsuki :)

Gold Knight
June 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
Just went back and read Strangehat's comment again. Incidentally, who is Shijou? The leader? O.o

Strangehat
July 01, 2006, 03:56 AM
Just went back and read Strangehat's comment again. Incidentally, who is Shijou? The leader? O.o

Oh, ah, my apologies, I have a bad habit of assigning names to unknown members. :| I call leader Shijou (至上 I believe) cos of a line Itachi had awhile back in the anime about his orders to capture Naruto. At the time his line was spoken: "Ware ware no shijou meirei." Initially this was translated as "Our orders from the supremacy." or something to that effect, suggesting a central leader to Akatsuki. It's important to note that in recent times the translation folks have reinterpreted that line as "These are our urgent orders" or "supreme orders."

'Shijou' tends to stick with me cus I don't forum that often. Many apologies. X)

Gold Knight
July 01, 2006, 08:34 PM
Oh, thanks ;)

Nah, that's no problem either. The leader was also 'assigned' another name based on a fake summary that we all thought was real for a while, but it turned out to be bogus. I'm glad the name still doesn't stick in my mind anymore, but I bet some people still remember it.

rykarreolacr
July 01, 2006, 08:50 PM
What was that name? Just curious....

Strangehat
July 01, 2006, 10:50 PM
Oh, thanks ;)

Nah, that's no problem either. The leader was also 'assigned' another name based on a fake summary that we all thought was real for a while, but it turned out to be bogus. I'm glad the name still doesn't stick in my mind anymore, but I bet some people still remember it.

'Shiome' XD
(I'm a terrible terrible fanboy :|)

Gold Knight
July 02, 2006, 02:46 AM
Yes, that's it XD