PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Karakuri Douji ULTIMO by Stan Lee x Takei Hiroyuki

kirimi
April 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
NEWS! Serialisation will begin in Jump SQ on 4 Feb!!

Karakuri Douji ULTIMO is the first collaboration of its kind between American comics giant, Stan Lee (creator of Spider-man, X-Men, Fantastic Four and more) and long-time Jump mangaka, Takei Hiroyuki (Shaman King, Butsu Zone). The series will combine the American style of story-telling with the Japanese style of manga we're all familiar with. It makes its debut with a 32-page prologue chapter in the inaugural issue of Jump SQ II (released 2008/04/18). Following that, ULTIMO will be serialised in Jump SQ in the future.

http://i28.tinypic.com/24q1k3k.jpg

About the story: ~thanks to njt~
Two beings, one of pure good and one of pure evil, infused with all the knowledge and abilities of their creator, were set to awaken when the world was about to enter its final war. Shortly after his masterpieces were completed, the creator committed suicide, satisfied with the potential mayhem his creations will cause. Now, 1000 years later, a peaceful city is terrorized by a monster attack. The monster was created by the "pure evil" being named Vice, as a means to draw out his "pure good" counterpart, Ultimo. When the monster starts wrecking the city and attacking innocent bystanders, Ultimo appears to take out the monster. Finally, the two meet and their grand battle begins. Who will win? Who will lose? What do the police think about these new creatures destroying their city?! Discuss about it here!

Preview pictures of chapter 1:

http://i27.tinypic.com/351ehlf_th.jpg (http://i27.tinypic.com/351ehlf.jpg) http://i29.tinypic.com/21kw9qv_th.jpg (http://i29.tinypic.com/21kw9qv.jpg)

Where to find
Follow this link (http://mangahelpers.com/m/ultimo) to find raws, translations and scanlations for Ultimo (http://mangahelpers.com/m/ultimo) as they're released!

Succubus
April 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
that old guy looks like stan lee.. O_o

I can't wait.. >_<

kirimi
April 18, 2008, 08:35 PM
More details on the series, announced at the VIZ press event at New York Comic Con (18 Apr) here (http://giapet.net/2008/04/18/nycc08-viz-press-only-event/).

Summary of news:
- Stan Lee did not choose Takei-sensei. The Shueisha side of the collaboration chose him, but Stan Lee was happy with the choice.
- The nature of the collaboration is really very close. Stan Lee and Takei-sensei are working together back and forth on the project.
- The original premise/ideas were Stan Lee's. Takei-sensei deveoped the story from that. Now they are creating it together.
- It WILL be serialised in the US Shonen Jump and they will cut the lag time down as much as possible (although no definite time is given yet).

Also, a podcast interview with Stan Lee (http://patrickmacias.blogs.com/er/2008/04/podcast-otaku-1.html) about Ultimo from a few days ago. He talks a bit about working on Ultimo behind the scenes with Takei-sensei, and its creation. Very cool. Most important quote of the entire interview, I think...

(from -14:33) "I have written the complete outline of the story on which Takei-sensei is basing his artwork. The scripted dialogue will be written in Japanese for the Japanese market, and later, I'll re-write it for the American market. So, you see, it really is a true collaboration in the strictest sense of the word."

Asakura
April 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Raw will be up minutes from now. Sorry about the delay.

shrimpy
April 18, 2008, 11:24 PM
i hope the stan lee committing seppuku isn't symbolic of him stepping off the story at any time in the future, lol.

Midina^_^
April 19, 2008, 12:49 AM
Thanks so much! It's so awsome that finally american comics and Japanese comics are actually crossing togeather. :D

Rinvak
April 19, 2008, 01:38 AM
Wow this could either be pure win, or mediocre. I want this to be pure win, as when things make me as giddy as a school girl; like this did; and don't live up to the giddiness it makes me sad in more ways then one.

hayateblitz
April 19, 2008, 02:56 AM
Hm. Somehow, it feels like a kiddie story. evil person does this, good person has a counter, evil person frustrated and counters, good person goes oh noes! and counters back.

I don't understand why they had to tell the story from a god's eye view. It doesn't really draw the audience into the story. Maybe cuz they were setting up the story for future chapters? But hopefully the next chapter isn't written in this format... I had high expectations for this series T.T

(my prediction! ultimo's going to suffer from a memory lost and live with that old guy for awhile. One hand Vice will search for his second arm while power hungry soldier wrecks havoc using Vice's glove and become a dictator or some sort. We'll learn more about the two robots from the monks and presumably rich villain)

Overall, I'll give it a 3/10. Don't really like the story line + the art is not really to my taste. I reckon they could have done better.

Koen
April 19, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hm. Somehow, it feels like a kiddie story. evil person does this, good person has a counter, evil person frustrated and counters, good person goes oh noes! and counters back.

I don't understand why they had to tell the story from a god's eye view. It doesn't really draw the audience into the story. Maybe cuz they were setting up the story for future chapters? But hopefully the next chapter isn't written in this format... I had high expectations for this series T.T

(my prediction! ultimo's going to suffer from a memory lost and live with that old guy for awhile. One hand Vice will search for his second arm while power hungry soldier wrecks havoc using Vice's glove and become a dictator or some sort. We'll learn more about the two robots from the monks and presumably rich villain)

Overall, I'll give it a 3/10. Don't really like the story line + the art is not really to my taste. I reckon they could have done better.

Takeis art is indeed abit excpetional, it isn't mainstream. And I agree: you love it or you don't love it.

The circle you say: attack, defence, frustration, stronger attack, etc is something I don't agree with you. I didn't have that feeling at all. This was just a prologue to a story about two extreme opposed creations who are doomed to fight each other. One for destroying the world, the other for protecting it

If I didn't like something: it's the typical american hero comic writing of destroying/dominating the world vs the saving world apsect

Crude
April 19, 2008, 01:53 PM
I really liked the art in Shaman King but this doesn't look too similar. The concept seems a little mediocre... It still interests me a lot though.

Viewtiful
April 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
"Karakuri Douji" has any special meaning?

kirimi
April 19, 2008, 08:16 PM
"Karakuri Douji" has any special meaning?

機巧 (karakuri) means mechanical, and more than just gears and wheels. 童子 (douji) means child/boy.

Most press releases and interviews in English have referred to Ultimo as an android anyway.

Viewtiful
April 20, 2008, 07:18 AM
機巧 (karakuri) means mechanical, and more than just gears and wheels. 童子 (douji) means child/boy.

Most press releases and interviews in English have referred to Ultimo as an android anyway.

So, "Karakuri Douji Ultimo", then, could be something like "Mecanical Child Ultimo"?
Hmmm... Thanks for your info! ^^

花男★
April 20, 2008, 02:42 PM
This 0 Chap was a let down in my opinion, lets see what happens next

Succubus
April 21, 2008, 04:23 PM
ultimo and vice character design looks pretty good actually I like it, and art is okay

I'll stick with it

btw, never read marvel comics in 4 years

Vicious6
April 21, 2008, 06:12 PM
The prequel chapter wasnt that bad, i didnt like the sudden fight, but the fighting itself wasnt bad. Cant wait for the next chapter.

DarkManSharingan32
April 22, 2008, 12:22 AM
I like this...
"Godly" characters battle... and as a consequence empower humans.
Thats where I see this thing headed anyways.

Seems pretty cool... I can see some good twists, and developments coming out of Chapter 0... and I'll definitely be reading this more as it comes out.
---

And come on guys... What did you think was going to happen when "Pure Good", and "Pure Evil" met? lol.

fxu
April 22, 2008, 01:13 AM
POWER OF WISDOM: MAJOR SUCKAGE

It's crapola. The summary didn't even make me jump in anxiety to read it, and just like I mentioned (to myself), it was bad.

HikaruYami
April 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
Someone needs to make the Wikipedia page for this version of Ultimo. As of now, he's still only a villain from Iron Man!

Viewtiful
April 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
The special (nine pages?) that came with Ultimo 0 at Shonen SQ. II hasn't been scanned?

kunai-knight
April 22, 2008, 08:24 PM
I somewhat agree with fxu. The manga was 'ok' but it didnt make me jump with excitement, or gave me a great desire to read the next issue. Of course, its only the first chapter, and i know i should reserve judgement but I can't help but feel dissapointed.

This would have been better maybe if ultimo was a robot chick lol. OR cooler if Vice was ultimo's evil twin sister. One of em should have been a chick in anycase, thats just my opinion.

I'm also not crazy about the gloved power thing but i'll give it a chance to grow before completely cutting it down.

haya5h1
April 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
Too early to dismiss it as crapola, but certainly it felt like just another debut manga, nothing special to write home about. Although I was amused by the English sfx (BOMB! CLEANSE!!!:XD) Takei seemed to forget about them after the first few pages.

thiagojoe
April 25, 2008, 01:23 PM
that old guy looks like stan lee.. O_o

I can't wait.. >_<
oh, the old man loves to manke special appeareances, like he does every marvel hero movie!!!:amuse

I somewhat agree with fxu. The manga was 'ok' but it didnt make me jump with excitement, or gave me a great desire to read the next issue. Of course, its only the first chapter, and i know i should reserve judgement but I can't help but feel dissapointed.

This would have been better maybe if ultimo was a robot chick lol. OR cooler if Vice was ultimo's evil twin sister. One of em should have been a chick in anycase, thats just my opinion.

I'm also not crazy about the gloved power thing but i'll give it a chance to grow before completely cutting it down.
i don't enjoy all this 'good vs evil' kind of story, but as times goes by we'll know exactly what's the truht about it...
naruto looked like a childish ninja story at first, but now it's become a complex tale about the hidden leaf... i hope ultimo shows us more than just epic battles between two 'pure good' and 'pure evil' characters.

Sexy Randal 105
June 03, 2008, 11:27 PM
Is this going to be an actual serialized manga?

Koen
June 04, 2008, 01:47 AM
Is this going to be an actual serialized manga?

If we may believe the info then there's certain more stories, comics, etc to be followed

Mangust
June 04, 2008, 05:46 AM
Are there any more chapters except 00?

Koen
June 04, 2008, 07:30 AM
Are there any more chapters except 00?

Atm I don't think so, but some chapters will prolly be published in square jump later on [or at least that equivalent of akamur jump (wsj) of square jump]

andysislands
June 04, 2008, 10:32 AM
Since Ultimo's release, Takei has had this to say (further confirming that more Ultimo chapters will be starting in Jump SQ):
http://www.mankin-trad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3179
(Click on Page 3)

(Sadly, there is some issues with Mankin-Trad getting the latest Takei's "the Last Words," so, it might be a while before we get another official statement from him)

(And nothing really new in the "Stan Lee the Book" little extra. Paritial scanlation (interview and goodies page), will be up on Mankin-Trad before the end of the week)

andysislands
July 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
I just got the latest Shonen Jump issue. It does contain Ultimo Chapter 0. Here's a quick rundown of what I see.

- Translation looks about right (judging against the scanlations)
- No art edits
- Sound effects changed into English, and cleaned up ones like "Glip" to "grip"
- Letterboxes, changed in size. This means, that they were digitally added in later, along with SFX, so Viz will not edit the art to replace the SFX since they'll take out that layer.

The interview from "Stan Lee the Book" is included. Similar images. Translation is a bit different than Dit's on my Mankin-Trad scanlation. But that's just at a glance.

Here's the big thing. It may just be my issue, so I need someone else to confirm. But I have a printing error.

The last 15 pages of the manga were swapped with Yuyu pages. This is a printing error in my issue. It may be widespread.

This isn't intentional, and may be a printing error. Hopefully somebody else has the Sept issue of SJ USA and can confirm this. Hopefully I'm just the only unlucky one (no this isn't an advance copy, I just get it fast). Thanks.

As for the first chapter, it's not next month. And nobody knows yet. Will check the translations tonight or tomorrow, and can post them here if I find anything interesting.

Ju-da-su
July 29, 2008, 06:22 AM
Actually, if it says it is going to come in August Issue, the RAW should have been . . . actually . . . must be out by now. The fact that it is not out meaning, nope, not the August Issue, since I don't believe that none of the scanner will make a jump at Ultimo (though there is indeed some problem with lack of JSQ scanner right now - -"). I mean, it's nearly a month now after August Issue is issued . . . >.>"

andysislands
July 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
It wasn't in the August issue, that rumor was false. Actually, it's really at a state of unknown.

I think the issue is that both Stan Lee and Hiroyuki Takei are both really busy. Stan Lee has 2 other Japanese projects, and who knows what else. Takei is doing the reprint volumes of Shaman King right now (which has a bunch of panels redrew, like 12 new color images, and complex cover designs). So, I think Ultimo was places on the back burner for now. By Spring, I think, Takei will be more free (once the reprints are done), so he can ensure that chapters come out monthly. Since, at this point, if it started, it could go a month or two without a chapter. I don't want to say it, but probably, Jump Festa is when we'll really find out. If it doesn't come out until January, it wouldn't surprise me.

Darkboulette
August 03, 2008, 11:43 AM
Some of you may know about Ultimo, the collaborative project between Stan Lee and Hiroyuki Takei that set everyone abuzz when it first appeared in Jump SQ. Now that it’s going to appear in Shonen Jump.

source: http://www.jumpland.com/blog/?paged=2

LegACy
August 03, 2008, 11:45 AM
...what?

How credible is that source?

baboysai
August 03, 2008, 12:48 PM
So does that mean we'll expect it weekly now?

Darkboulette
August 03, 2008, 12:55 PM
...what?

How credible is that source?

credibility of that source: 100%
this is on the blog of Jumpland for the 40th years of the WSJ

andysislands
August 03, 2008, 05:57 PM
Umm... since they are talking about Comic-Con and such... They mean "Shonen Jump" for which is released in the USA. Not "Weekly Shonen Jump" for a release in Japan. So, no it's not weekly, and as far as we should be conserned, it's still set for a Jump SQ release at some point.

Asakura
October 30, 2008, 02:21 AM
http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/sq2/index.html

Well what do you know? Another S.Q. II coming out. Due out 11/21/08

Here's hoping we get another Ultimo one-shot or at least some news concerning it.

BTW I do like the Ultimo post card with what seems like new exclusive art to me (located@ top left corner)

kirimi
December 27, 2008, 01:38 AM
I think this hasn't been posted yet. It's the news we've all been waiting for! The serialisation for Ultimo will begin in Jump SQ 2009 #3 (http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/yokoku2.html)!!! The issue goes on sale 4 Feb. It'll grace the cover of the issue, as well as colour pages in the front.

(The linked page changes content each month, so here's a screen capture.)

http://i43.tinypic.com/okpe0m.jpg

Darkboulette
December 27, 2008, 06:50 AM
Great News !!! =D

Sai_the_Shaman
February 06, 2009, 01:47 AM
Well First chapter is out. A much higher quality raw is on its way (I already spoke to Asakura who said he's doing it) and I have a translation done and being proof read which will be out shortly enough.

I have to say, first chapter sure was fun. I love how Stan Lee inserts himself into everything he does. The art form Takei is awesome like always and I can't wait to see how this story goes from here. I won't be posting any plot spoilers until the tl is out. So what do all of you think form initial cam raw that's out?

DeidaraGrimmjow
February 06, 2009, 08:50 AM
Do you know if anyone is going to do a scanlation? Also, I am really excited about the manga as a whole, but the designs for the current support characters could be cooler. But I guess we'll see plenty more down the road...

Sai_the_Shaman
February 08, 2009, 02:14 AM
Do you know if anyone is going to do a scanlation? Also, I am really excited about the manga as a whole, but the designs for the current support characters could be cooler. But I guess we'll see plenty more down the road...

Yep, Whatever Scanlations is going to do a scan.
[hr]
Quick update!

Rena-chan was gracious enough to post a public raw (much better quality) of chapter 1
Ju-da-su posted an international translation
and I posted up an english translation

ENJOY!!! 楽しいで!!! (A cookie to someone who knows where that's from)

Natage
February 16, 2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks.. looking forward to see if Stan Lee can make a stronger character then D.S:o

vattu-
February 17, 2009, 07:01 AM
hmm I have a feeling I read the first chapter like 1 year ago? Atleast I remember clearly that someone scanlated it or something like this. Always wondered what happened to the collaboration =)

Crude
February 17, 2009, 01:01 PM
What you read was the pilot. Only now has the series started serialization.

And about the chapter, it was better than the pilot, although I still don't see anything special within the series. Only time will tell...

Sai_the_Shaman
February 17, 2009, 03:03 PM
I actually find it quite interesting and different from Takei's other series. A lot of those have always had strong Buddhist ties (especially Butsu Zone). It's interesting to see him kinda break away from that and do something like this. Then again, that's probably Stan Lee's influence right there. I'm really interested in seeing how this story pans out

andysislands
February 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'm quite thankful for the new way to start the story. It's been pretty cookie cutter, from Butsu Zone, to Shaman King, and then Jyuki Ningen Jumbor with Takei (in respect to overarching plot summeries).

What conserns me the most about Ultimo is the use of "destiny." It's a word Takei stayed away from. Yes, in SK, Yoh and Hao were destined to fight and what not. But, Takei kinda threw that out the window, and Yoh has a way to "fight" without battles. So, yeah, destiny isn't Takei has done. And, I'm a little worried about that. I have high hopes that it will work out well, but I just feel like that might be holding characters back (Like Yamato).

As for characters, so far they seem fresh and new. Which I'm very thankful. Vice is all sorts of anger, which is awesome (and right now my favorite character). Ultimo, I'm not sure on, since if he is suppose to be the "ultimate good" then he shouldn't have let Vice kill anyone. Unless they are going to try a role reversal, which would be interesting (Vice is good since he hates everyone, while Ultimo picks his own battles, but this seems unlikely right now). I'm still interested to see who the remaining 3 girls are. I'm hoping for "Lily5" or "Lily2" nature from them. The Shaman King manga needed Lily5, so I hope Takei sees the light.

Also, I wonder how long it will take before Takei/Lee drop the whole school thing. It was like 3 volumes for SK.

Sai_the_Shaman
March 05, 2009, 05:07 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a little update:

I started tling Ultimo but only got a few pages in. Now that schools over after today and I'll be on Spring Break, I should have a translation done sometime tomorrow.

As for a Higher quality raw, I'll scan one once I get my magazine.

Shurou
June 04, 2009, 08:27 PM
Cool that chapter 5 is out...

But where are chapters 3 and 4!?!?

bellcrossage
June 04, 2009, 10:48 PM
Cool that chapter 5 is out...

But where are chapters 3 and 4!?!?

I was wondering the same thing! It's kinda jarring reading Chapters 00, 01 and 02 to reading Chapter 05.

Rena Chan
June 06, 2009, 02:48 AM
Chapters 3 and 4 are somewhere on my computer ^_^

¬Bol
June 06, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hope you'll find them soon.

Rena Chan
June 06, 2009, 07:27 AM
LOL. I guess my failed attempt to joke didn't work. I know where it is, my computer is neater than my own desk, I just haven't done whatever I normally do yet and put them up. But they'll be coming soon.

¬Bol
June 07, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thank you Rena for the raws, now all we need is a translator!

Sai_the_Shaman
June 08, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'll be starting Ultimo back up again. I jsut finished school and have a lot of the summer free. I gave SK back to the old Mankin TL since she got a bunch done while I was studying for finals and she's a good tl. This leaves me free to do Ultimo. I'l start ch2 sometime this week hoefully

andysislands
June 12, 2009, 09:20 PM
And we look forward to those translations! Thanks!

Also, SKN will take a renewed interest in Ultimo this summer as well. Aka: I'll do updates and news posts about things again. Here's a topic which covers things this month and next month:
http://shamanking-nation.com/english/japan-release/ultimo-volume-1-announced-for-japan/

Next week we get another Ultimo chapter, hurray!

Sai_the_Shaman
August 02, 2009, 02:58 AM
I'm late I know it.
I put out the tl for chapter 2 finally.

I'll do chapter 3 tomorrow. (today technically)

In other news I got to meet Takei and Stan Lee at SDCC and got them to sign my vol 1 of Ultimo XD

Ju-da-su
August 02, 2009, 04:03 AM
\o/

You're the best, Sai~ XD

Sai_the_Shaman
August 02, 2009, 07:02 PM
As promised here's Chapter 3

http://mangahelpers.com/t/saitheshaman/releases/14755

I hope you all enjoy XD

dmysta3000
August 02, 2009, 08:17 PM
Yes!!! finally, no more depending on English shonen jump for chapters! When does the first manga volume come out in the US anyway?

Drmke
August 03, 2009, 05:21 PM
I'm not for sure, but I would guess around 2 to 3 months form now.

Sai_the_Shaman
August 03, 2009, 05:42 PM
Well if they plan on doing it the same as the japanese volumes. I'd expect about 3-4 months because they're at about chapter 3 in Jump right now and the first japanese volume is 4 chapters.

Drmke
August 03, 2009, 05:52 PM
O I wasn't sure on the chapter count in volume 1....thought it might b 3 chapters.

Sai_the_Shaman
August 03, 2009, 06:28 PM
Just letting you all know chapter 4's tl is out now http://mangahelpers.com/t/saitheshaman/releases/14771

Only two more to go before I catch up XD

Vipera_naja
August 06, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you! Good to see that this series is being translated/scanlated.

Looking forward to those translations :)

Newkerzy
August 09, 2009, 11:38 PM
I just saw chapter 3 & 4 LOLOL OMG!!! Poor Yamato!!!! this is very reminiscent of the first Shaman King chapters.

Sai_the_Shaman
August 23, 2009, 10:31 PM
Chapter 5 tl is out for you guys!

http://mangahelpers.com/t/saitheshaman/releases/15210

JAC should have a scan up soon

Only 2 more chapters till I catch up to current. Look forward to it.

As for the chapters so far, Jealous is for sure my favorite Douji so far and expect a lot more from him in the future XD

As for Newkerzy's comment about this being reminiscent of Shaman King, I actually feel this manga has jumped into the main story a lot fast than Shaman King did, while still keeping all the character development.
[hr]
1 chapter left till I catch up.

Here's the tl for 6, http://mangahelpers.com/t/saitheshaman/releases/15419

JAC should have a scan out by tomorrow

Vipera_naja
August 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
Pfft XD I didn't know robots could eat. Oh Vice...

Considering that episode of "evil" we saw with Ultimo back in chapter 1, I wonder just how "good" the evil douji are. Jealous(y?) didn't seem interested in outright killing Yamato until his personal space was invaded, unlike Vice who went out hunting for him.

pikafire87
August 28, 2009, 02:10 AM
Hey Sai, thanks for the translations for the manga. Read Chap. 6 and it is just awesome. They just make the "good" douji look soo evil. *I LIKE IT!!!* Im hoping for the others that are part of the 6 perfections are just as crazy. and Im worried about Lune!!!

Sai_the_Shaman
September 01, 2009, 12:52 AM
Heh, so he posted something (the guy above I know irl.....)

Anyhow, good news everyone! I caught up to current just in time for a new chapter to come out this week XD

here you go XD http://mangahelpers.com/t/saitheshaman/releases/15693

It's not proofed (which I'll do tomorrow) but I know most of you are waiting for the scanlation anyhow......

Vipera_naja
September 01, 2009, 06:27 AM
...Wait. Hana?

Hana!?

Aw man, Shaman King fans like me will have their brains broken so much after this. XD

pikafire87
September 02, 2009, 06:11 PM
HAHA...YES!!!!! the seven deadly sins are coming....
this is just getting better and better.
sai..thx for translating it...booyah!!!

and @ viper_naja Hana!!!!

ITS JUST CRZY!!!.

Sai_the_Shaman
September 07, 2009, 04:57 PM
Newest TL is out! the scanlation should be out soon enough XD

Awesome chapter this month, quite a bit of stuff revealed.

OMG at Lune and Jealous XD I'm looking forward to how this turns out next month XD

As for what the Good Douji Club members are planning, I can see their logic, I'm just wondering how they plan to pull it of.....

I really wish this was a weekly series....

pikafire87
September 08, 2009, 12:02 AM
Holy crap!! just read the tl and it was amazing...

lune and jealous!!! omg >.< cant wait to see how this turns out....
Thanks for the tl SAI!!!

Vipera_naja
September 08, 2009, 06:09 AM
Hah! It's kind of amusing to see characters plotting for Stan LeeDunstan's kidnapping/death/etc. Oh man Takei.

Of course, Lune and Jealous are what's really interesting. We need the next chapter ASAP D:

bluemonster
October 10, 2009, 10:51 PM
Wow that was quite a twist.

Raichu
November 08, 2009, 10:47 AM
Lune x Yamato >>??
This now explains why Lune looks so girly since the beginning of the chapter...
Looking forward for more!

Akiyama
November 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Ultimo wallpaper from Jump SQ (http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/train/index.html) 1007 x 755 pixels
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/Wallpaper/th_pc_ultimo.jpg (http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/Wallpaper/pc_ultimo.jpg)

Negative Syndicate
December 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
I heard a rumor that Ultimo going to finish on next issue as the end of part 1.

Sai_the_Shaman
December 14, 2009, 01:53 AM
That's what the text said. Part 1 ends next month.

Given the slight Kabuki element to the series, it could be that it's following a 3 part structure (Jo Ha Kyuu).

The structure of the full-day program, like the structure of the plays themselves, was derived largely from the conventions of bunraku and Noh, conventions which also appear in countless other traditional Japanese arts. Chief among these is the concept of jo-ha-kyū (序破急), which states that all things should be done at a certain pace, one which starts out slow, speeds up, and ends quickly. The concept, elaborated on at length by master Noh playwright Zeami, governs not only the actions of the actors, but also the structure of the play as well as the structure of scenes and plays within a day-long program.

It could mean that Ultimo goes on a one month break, then starts the second part.

In other news, chapter 11's tl can be found at my blog. http://saitheshaman.wordpress.com/2009/12/13/karakuri-douji-ultimo-ch-11/

andysislands
December 14, 2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, my Takei-sense says this is going to be "Part 1" of a total of 3 parts. Takei would think it's funny, so he would do something like that.

Here's to another 2 years of Ultimo!

And speaking of which...
23 page Ultimo special in Jump SQII on 12/18. Front cover news. Though old artwork. Link:
http://jumpsq.shueisha.co.jp/contents/sq2/index.html

My hope is that this chapter is like the "Relax" from Shaman King. Covers all the characters and gives them a bit of a backstory with little to no words.

Negative Syndicate
December 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
Part 1 is ending on next issue. Then, is there possibility that Takei might go on break after the part 1? Also, if other people say he would, what others think how long he'll be on break?

andysislands
December 14, 2009, 09:18 PM
It is very unlikely Takei will go on break. It's possible that Ultimo could be on break for a few months (3 at max). During that time Takei would probably either expand on Shaman King: Flowers, or Jyuki Ningen Jumbor, or some other mini-series.

Or Chapter 13 could just come around the next month like nothing happened. (Could be a slight time skip, like 6 months)

Negative Syndicate
December 28, 2009, 01:55 PM
I"m really glad that Ultimo didn't go to hiatus after part 1.

~†Ale†~
January 25, 2010, 12:25 PM
But, this Manga will continue or not?
I ask you this because I heard there is a parts division.

Sai_the_Shaman
January 25, 2010, 12:36 PM
But, this Manga will continue or not?
I ask you this because I heard there is a parts division.

It's continuing. The next chapter will be out next weekish.

~†Ale†~
February 14, 2010, 08:20 AM
It's continuing. The next chapter will be out next weekish.

Thanks^^
[hr]
Sorry guys, but I have a question.

Ultimo is a boy or a girl? lol

¬Bol
February 14, 2010, 12:54 PM
I've always thought Ultimo is a girl.

Negative Syndicate
February 14, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think Ultimo is neither boy nor girl.

Crude
February 15, 2010, 09:16 AM
I think he's a boy. I think thats what made the scene between him and Yamato all the more akward.

Negative Syndicate
February 27, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm just wondering, do yaoi like moments in Ultimo is the idea from Takei or Stan Lee?
[hr]
I found a spoiler for chapter 14.

明日まで全ての善悪全ての殿と童子にぶちあたってこいといわれる大和
大和が出て行ったあとにムサシムラヤマがエコさんと会話
ムサシは未来の警察官で、もともといた世界はダンステンが過去へ飛んだ瞬間に消えてしまった
全てをもとにもどしたがっている。しかしえこさんが大和のような盗賊に運命を託すのが解せない
それを聞いたえこさんはムサシに少年ジャンプは現代の経典だから全部読めと言う。読めばわかると。

骨董屋に到着する大和、中に先客の入間とジュラスを見つける
大和とじいさんを殺そうとする入間 入間がジュラスに刺される流れをすでに知ってる大和は入間を助ける
ジュラスに刺されそうになる大和を、起きたウルティモが守って次号

bluemonster
March 01, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm just wondering, do yaoi like moments in Ultimo is the idea from Takei or Stan Lee?
<hr noshade size="1">
I found a spoiler for chapter 14.

明日まで全ての善悪全ての殿と童子にぶちあたってこいといわれる大和
大和が出て行ったあとにムサシムラヤマがエコさんと会話
ムサシは未来の警察官で、もともといた世界はダンステンが過去へ飛んだ瞬間に消えてしまった
全てをもとにもどしたがっている。しかしえこさんが大和のような盗賊に運命を託すのが解せない
それを聞いたえこさんはムサシに少年ジャンプは現代の経典だから全部読めと言う。読めばわかると。

骨董屋に到着する大和、中に先客の入間とジュラスを見つける
大和とじいさんを殺そうとする入間 入間がジュラスに刺される流れをすでに知ってる大和は入間を助ける
ジュラスに刺されそうになる大和を、起きたウルティモが守って次号

Probably, Takei. he did this type of gags in Shaman king as well. I like how the story has been going so far. Unexpected and nice.

Negative Syndicate
April 09, 2010, 07:46 AM
Does anyone know when raw scan for chapter 15 going to release?

Sai_the_Shaman
April 09, 2010, 09:56 AM
I have the raw, haven't scanned it yet. I'm about 1/2 way done with tling 14. So I'd say expect the 15 raw this weekend...since I probably won't scan it till I finish tling 14 first

Negative Syndicate
April 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
Is chapter 15 (raw) going to release soon?

Sai_the_Shaman
April 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
Chapter 14 translation. JAC should be getting the scanlation out by Friday

http://translations.shamannet.com/?p=318

Now I can go and scan Chapter 15 ^^
[hr]
here's the raw i promised http://www.mediafire.com/?nzte5rnj0zm

Negative Syndicate
May 16, 2010, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know when raw scan for chapter 16 going to release?

andysislands
May 16, 2010, 09:03 PM
When and if Sai desides to do it at this point.

But more importantly... commenting on Chapter 16:

It's nice to see this chapter actually do something. Yeah, there is alot of bouncing around, but for some reason, this chapter didn't feel as springy. Takei hasn't really figured out the monthly layout yet, but, maybe a bit more time is all that is needed.

Also, finally! Takei put himself in as a character! Though, I would have liked to see him play a more important role. Like be the Mosuke to Dustan's Amidamaru!

Also, for those interested, Ultimo Volume 3 by Viz has a US release date, December 7th, 2010. (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-volume-3-release-date/)

Sai_the_Shaman
May 19, 2010, 05:39 PM
I've been busy ^^;;

I have the chapters just haven't had the time to scan them. I have half of 15 tled
[hr]
tl for 15 is out http://translations.shamannet.com/?p=323

kkck
June 07, 2010, 01:23 AM
Ok, recently I found out about this manga and read every chapter so far. Considering the authors, I thought it at leasts deserves a thread to be discussed.

IMHO the manga is reasonably interesting although not as good as Shaman king was. It does have a few interesting fight scenes and the plot is not bad. Anyone has any thoughts on the manga?

edit: Didn´t realize a thread for this manga already existed lol

andysislands
June 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
Chapter 17 spoilers:

Dunstan appears! Hijinks occur!

Takei, seriously, you have like two faces for Stan Lee, it's kinda freaky. I would like for him to have more expressions than that.

Win moment one: POW! sound effect! Nice!

Win moment two: "Excelsior!!!" You really have no shame Takei.

I look forward to reading this chapter and understanding what's actually happening, since this whole time travel / alternate dimension thing is kinda confusing.

kkck
June 25, 2010, 08:37 PM
Shouldn't the chapter be out by now? I guess getting raws just got a tad harder....

Sai_the_Shaman
June 26, 2010, 09:40 AM
well I still scan and translate, I've just been busy ^^ hard to find a lot of free time

Negative Syndicate
July 16, 2010, 11:02 PM
Does anyone know when raw scan for chapter 17 and 18 going to release?

andysislands
July 23, 2010, 07:02 PM
The raw answer is still the same as above. Don't worry, nothing super crazy happens in the next two chapters that will change the shape of the Ultimo series (or at least I don't think so).

Also, Ultimo volume 4. Cover hasn't been released yet, but I can tell you this. The background color is blue/light blue. And Jealousy is on the cover. (There will be a full Ultimo news round-up before SDCC on Shaman King Nation, just want the Jumbor news to sit up there for a few days first)
[hr]
Just in case you didn't know (since Viz is very tight lipped about this for some reason....):

On Saturday, Viz’s Shonen Jump panel will be from 10:30am to 11:30am in Room 9 at San Diego Comic-Con International. Attending the panel will be the following people:

Hiroyuki Takei (Creator of Shaman King, Jumbor, and Co-creator of Ultimo)
Stan Lee (Head of POW Ent., Co-Creator of Ultimo)
Mr. Kosuge (小菅) (Editor at JumpSQ)
We will have full coverage of the panel relating to various Takei series throughout the weekend. Please check back often.

From Shaman King Nation (http://shamanking-nation.com/)

There is also a prediction article up there, just to get my bets placed now.

Also, Chapter 15 of Ultimo from Shonen Jump USA is very good. The wording in it actually makes a bit more sence to me than JAC's scanlation. (I'll work on that write up too... Busy weekend...)

SquirrelLuvsPnut
July 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
Also, Chapter 15 of Ultimo from Shonen Jump USA is very good. The wording in it actually makes a bit more sence to me than JAC's scanlation. (I'll work on that write up too... Busy weekend...)

I know exactly what you mean. It drove me nuts that they mis-translated the doji of wisdom's name as Sopia. then again, I'm not really sure how common of knowledge it is that Sophia means wisdom.

kkck
July 29, 2010, 11:58 AM
When is necxt chapter going to be out lol? This is an interesting manga, I'd hate it if it has to be placed on hold like shaman king....

Negative Syndicate
July 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I'm also wondering when next chapter going to out.

SquirrelLuvsPnut
July 30, 2010, 05:07 PM
This probably isn't the place to ask this, but wasn't an anime greenlit for this a long time agp?

andysislands
July 31, 2010, 10:17 AM
At worst, the new manga chapter will be out in next month's Shonen Jump from Viz. That's the October issue which you can normally find at the end of August. There will also be a free preview online for the first 20 pages or so. It continues to get color pages in JumpSQ, and it won't be getting cancelled anytime soon (also helps that there is a big Viz backing behind it too).

The Ultimo anime has not officially been green-lit (that is to say, there is money for it to be produced). Right now there is no committee to handle Ultimo licensing. As such, there are no products being made (outside of JumpSQ promotions, which fall under a seperate contract) and no anime to be produced. Most of the possible money for it went towards various other Marvel-Madhouse productions for 2010-2011. So, once a committee is formed, then we might get closer to an anime.

Akiyama
August 03, 2010, 05:12 AM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/volumes/Ultimo_4.jpg
Pink armor? Caught me off guard.

andysislands
September 02, 2010, 10:52 PM
Ultimo Volume 4 full cover (scanned by me):
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4858/ultimo4fullcover.jpg

Nothing really noteworthy. Has a nice color art on the first page (a new one). Stan Lee comments about how he's at Comic-Con, and alot of people came to his signing.

Ultimo volume 5 may go on sale in November (assuming that they don't delay it again).

Front cover with "SHIT" obi can be found on Shaman King Nation (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/japan-release/ultimo-volume-5-japanese-release-date-announced/).
[hr]
Your monthly bump'n news and stuff from Shaman King Nation (http://shamanking-nation.com/):

Ultimo manga “Part III” will be coming soon (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-manga-part-iii-will-be-coming-soon/)
One of the biggest announcements is that “Part III” of the manga will be coming soon, starting in chapter 21, which will be released in JumpSQ in October. This would be the first chapter in volume 6 of the manga. Currently, chapter 20 will be released in Jump SQ on September 4th in Japan. This chapter would also complete the 5th volume of manga, which will be released in November 2010.

Ultimo Chapter 16 Preview (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-chapter-16-preview/)
In the latest issue of Shonen Jump, Viz published chapter 16 of the Ultimo manga. This chapter was titled “Time Traveler Yamato.” You can read the first 25 pages of the chapter online at Viz’s website, which can be found here (http://shonenjump.viz.com/onlinemanga/sjom.php?chap=ult-hi-issue-94). The entire chapter of Ultimo can be read in the October 2010 issue of Shonen Jump, currently on newsstands in the USA and Canada. You can subscribe online at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Shonen-Jump/dp/B001BKE2MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=magazines&qid=1283484995&sr=8-1), or directly from Viz (http://shonenjump.viz.com/subscribe/).

Negative Syndicate
September 02, 2010, 10:54 PM
Do you know how many parts there going to be?

andysislands
September 02, 2010, 11:10 PM
Yes, it will be 3 parts.

From Viz's interview with Takei directly...

Takei said that Part I was like setting the stage, Part II was getting the show in order, and Part III is when "things really get rolling. Characters you think you know are not what they seem. And what's coming will not be what you expect."

Now, of course, if it's anything like the first parts this will also be 3 volumes long in length, completing Ultimo in 9 volumes. But then again, it's Takei and shonen manga. So don't be surprised if it's like 6 volumes long for Part 3! Haha!

Negative Syndicate
September 02, 2010, 11:23 PM
Now, of course, if it's anything like the first parts this will also be 3 volumes long in length, completing Ultimo in 9 volumes. But then again, it's Takei and shonen manga. So don't be surprised if it's like 6 volumes long for Part 3! Haha!

I hope your right. I don't want Ultimo to end early.

Akiyama
October 29, 2010, 07:57 AM
Ultimo 5
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/volumes/Ultimo_5.jpg

andysislands
November 03, 2010, 06:24 PM
Your Monthly-ish news and bump from Shaman King Nation (http://shamanking-nation.com):

Ultimo Chapter 17 Preview (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-chapter-17-preview/)
This chapter was titled “Time Traveler Yamato — Part II.” You can read the first 27 pages of the chapter online at Viz’s website, which can be found here (http://shonenjump.viz.com/onlinemanga/sjom.php?chap=ult-hi-issue-95).

Ultimo Chapter 18 Preview (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-chapter-18-preview/)
This chapter was titled “Time Traveler Yamato — Part II.” You can read the first 27 pages of the chapter online at Viz’s website, which can be found here (http://shonenjump.viz.com/onlinemanga/sjom.php?chap=ult-hi-issue-96).

Ultimo Volume 5 Japanese Preview (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/japan-release/ultimo-volume-5-japanese-preview/)
Ultimo volume 5 was released today in Japan. As such, s-manga has uploaded a preview of the volume. This preview is the entire 17th chapter of the series in Japanese. You can read the preview here (http://www.s-manga.net/comics_new/cn_20101104_sq_jpc_9784088701370_karakuri-doji-ultimo-5k.html).

Ultimo Volume 1 French Preview (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/ultimo-volume-1-french-preview/)
Recently Kaze has uploaded the first 26 pages of their upcoming release of Ultimo volume 1 in French. The preview (region-free) can be found here (http://preview.kaze-manga.fr/flash/omv/index.php?x=ultimo/ultimo1). The finalized cover can be found here (http://www.amazon.fr/Ultimo-t1-Stan-Lee/dp/2849659045/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286661112&sr=8-1). It will be under their “Shonen Up” line of manga.

Price: 6,95 €
ISBN: 978-2849659045
Size: 112 x 176 mm
Release Date: October 28th, 2010

Kaze since August 2009 has been owned by Viz Media. The translation, editing, and typesetting was all done by Kaze, seperate of Viz Media.

Ultimo To Have Color Page in Jan. JumpSQ (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/japan-release/ultimo-to-have-color-page-in-jan-jumpsq/)
Chapter 23 will have a color page.

----
In future news... Does anybody want summeries of the chapters from Ultimo? I can write them up if they are wanted. Second, I won't be buying Ultimo volume 5 until next month (with Jumbor vol 1!). So, if there isn't a HQ scan of the cover with in the next month I'll get around to it then.

There's actually been alot of news lately... It's so nice... Anybody else reading Ultimo here via Shonen Jump?

Foundway
November 04, 2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks, the previews are nice. I would love to have summaries for Ultimo.
But it is sad that part 3 will start now, we havent seen all of the icons of good and evil and the last part should be the part against vice and dunstan.

Negative Syndicate
November 04, 2010, 08:10 AM
When part 2 going to be end at?

XiaoMoko
November 13, 2010, 10:44 AM
I already read the chinese version of ultimo chapter 22.
I don think that is part 3.

Please...don't end ultimo so early....

bunshindattebayo
November 26, 2010, 02:35 AM
My bad for bumping. But is anyone still scanning Ultimo after chapter 15 onwards?

andysislands
November 26, 2010, 08:30 AM
My bad for bumping. But is anyone still scanning Ultimo after chapter 15 onwards?

No. But, you can read new chapters every month in Viz's monthly magazine, Shonen Jump. They are currently up to chapter 18, and chapter 19 will be released soon.

bunshindattebayo
November 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
Now that's what I'm afraid. I live outside US, Shonen Jump or Ultimo isn't being released here.

andysislands
January 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
In a very shocking turn of events, Ultimo has effectively been put on hiatus for at least 4 months. Ultimo will no longer be released in Shonen Jump USA, but instead be released in graphic novel format only. However, Viz still needs to release 2 volumes of Ultimo first. Volume 5 (which covers up to chapter 20, which has already been released), will be published in June 2011. So, whenever Viz desides to release Ultimo after that, then we will have a new chapter.

You can read the full news article here (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/ultimo-removed-from-sj-usa-no-new-chapters-for-months/).

Akiyama
January 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
I was flipping through my issue the other day and was confused because I couldn't find my Ultimo, I thought they had a misprint at first. Then I looked at every single page until I saw the announcement, sorta in the middle of the magazine like they were trying to sweep it under the rug. I was wondering why this happened until I read the word 'edgy', meaning we can't publish this in magazine but only volume format. I don't think it's coming back since they used the word 'graduated' from jump like so many other series. :/

Negative Syndicate
May 07, 2011, 01:00 PM
Voice actors for upcoming vomic:

Agari Yamato = Konishi Katsuyuki
Ultimo = Nakajima Megumi
Kodaira Rune = Nabatame Hitomi
Sayama Makoto = Shimamura Yuu
Kokubun Taiji = Mizuuchi Kiyomitsu
Vice = Ohhara Takashi

kkck
May 07, 2011, 08:34 PM
Anywhere where I can read chapters 16 through 18 and whichever other chapter which may be out? I have looked everywhere but I can't find it....

Negative Syndicate
May 07, 2011, 08:59 PM
Anywhere where I can read chapters 16 through 18 and whichever other chapter which may be out? I have looked everywhere but I can't find it....

Are you mean raws? If it is, then Rena-chan has it.

kkck
May 07, 2011, 09:07 PM
I actually need translations lol. I don't read a shred of Japanese.

andysislands
September 09, 2011, 03:29 PM
So here's some more Ultimo news (for the USA):

Borders Helps Bring Ultimo to the Top Manga Selling List (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/borders-helps-bring-ultimo-to-the-top-manga-selling-list/)
In an unexpected turn of events, the first volume of the Ultimo manga has resurfaced on the New York Times Best Selling Mangas for the week of August 21st. [...] There were very few high profile manga releases that week which may have helped some lower sales gain a higher place on the list. However, the biggest factor to Ultimo’s ranking of 7th was due primarily to the closing of the Borders chain of bookstores. Many of the remaining open stores had an excess of Ultimo volume #1 (as many as 6 volumes per store). With their closing sales ranging from 40%-60% off MSRP many volumes of manga were quickly flying off the shelves.

Borders helps Ultimo remain on the Best Sellers List (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/borders-helps-ultimo-remain-on-the-best-sellers-list/)

This week it rose up to 2nd place, and being the highest selling actual manga on the list (slot #1 was taken by a graphic novel not printed in Japan). This is the highest position Ultimo has ever been on the list. It’s high ranking is directly connected to Borders going out of business and their closing sales. Currently all manga are 70% off, which brings the cost of one of these volumes down to $3 USD. Many stores still have copies of both volume 1 and 2 in stock. However, most of the stores are set to close this weekend. So if you are looking to pick up these first two volumes for their cheapest price, now is the time.

Also... Ultimo volume 6 is now out. These contain four chapters that were not released by Viz in Shone Jump. Ultimo is now part of the "Shonen Jump Advanced" imprint and has a more mature rating. And I checked, there is NO art edits anywhere. No extra clothes or anything. All English text that was in the original remains (like on the figureheads). Also the translation appears to be very accurate to the original Japanese (like it has been through it's entire series). [Source (http://shamanking-nation.com/english/usa-release/ultimo-volume-6-released-in-the-usa/)]

I find it awesome how Ultimo is having this late-game huge amounts of sales. It's things like this which can make Viz be like "oh... maybe we should promote this more and stuff" and Japanese animation studios be like "hey maybe they want an anime too!?"

So, if you need to pick up the first 2 volumes, do it now! $3 a volume is an awesome price! And grab volume 6 as well, since it's a good volume. (No release date for volume 7 yet, but probably early winter 2012)

MSofAofCOCA
October 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
So i take it that now that ULTIMO is out from SJ and will only be released in full novels that means there will be no online english translations?? =(
Gosh darnit and i just got into it again, too!! =C