PDA

View Full Version : sahugani's One Piece Review 498

sahugani
April 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
Sahugani’s One Piece Review 498

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2747/luffyandusoppbysekkosikwb5.png (http://sekkosiki.deviantart.com/art/Luffy-and-Usopp-54473083)
guess who's drowning

Hi everybody! I know those of you who read the spoilers have been itching for this chapter all week and now that it’s finally here it did not disappoint. Once again this looks to be one of my longer reviews but this time it can be attributed to having a subsection to analyze each of the new pirates we have met. Let’s start. The pics in this review come from the Binktopia scanlation and the title pic is a piece created by Sekkosiki (http://sekkosiki.deviantart.com/) over at DeviantArt, so go check out the rest of his gallery.

Okay…you know how last week I said it was my longest review ever? Well…it seems I just topped that :p

Buffoonery

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9227/1ats9.png
can't wait for Kalifa's entertainment venue :nosebleed

We return once again to the CP9 as they try to raise money to pay for Lucci’s medical bills. Last week we saw Kumadori perform a kabuki play and this week we are treated to a circus act from Bleuno and Jyabura. Though it is traditional for circus acts to have lions or tigers jumping through flaming rings, the CP9’s leopard is the one they are trying to raise money for and their giraffe not only doesn’t fit the bill but isn’t exactly in top shape himself. That being the case, Jyabura has entered full wolf form to act as a trained animal to entertain the crowd as Bleuno acts as his trainer. Technically I think it would have been better for Kalifa to act as the trainer for two reasons. First of all, it opens up Bleuno to put on a magic show in which he can use his air door to make things disappear and reappear. Secondly, Kalifa would draw a bigger crowd to the animal show because sex sells. That said, with Lucci hospitalized and Kaku most likely restrained to a bed (he should be hospitalized too but it’s hard enough just paying for Lucci), the only members left who haven’t put on some type of show to raise money are Kalifa and Fukurou. I’m guessing we’ll see what kind of show they put on next week but I cannot even guess what type it will be. Unfortunately it is almost guaranteed not to involve Kalifa’s soap powers since the perpetual rain nullifies them. Maybe we’ll get lucky and see her work indoors at a spa <3.

Riff-Raff

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5895/2amy1.png
shot to the bread basket!!!

As the chapter starts off, the first image we see is Luffy beating the crap out of some bounty hunters along with Brooke and Chopper. Meanwhile, Hachi, Pappagg, and Caime cheer them on from the sidelines. From the number of unconscious bodies surrounding the Strawhat trio, this was a decently sized group of opponents and according to Chopper, this was the third such group to come after them. From details we learn later in this chapter, we can assume that bounty hunters such as these guys are simply idiots. They get drawn in by the idea of taking down the top bounty heads for the huge reward without realizing how outclassed they are. They were not even a match for Chopper and Brooke let alone Luffy. While there are certainly a number of highly skilled bounty hunters on this archipelago, these guys are not among them. While quality bounty hunters can judge fairly well if they are capable of taking in a certain prey before initiating a fight, the lesser ones simply see the price tag and operate on the thought that if they can get lucky and catch this bounty, they will be rich. To the credit of the Strawhat reindeer and skeleton though, their bounties more than any other’s in the crew are misrepresentative of their true strength. Brooke’s bounty of 33 million is fifty years old and since then he has improved his techniques in order to fight Ryuuma and his skeleton body has added speed to his form. As for Chopper, even though without the use of a rumble ball his combat abilities are not exactly anything special compared to the others, his knowledge of the human body’s weak points allows him critical hits when attacking and the ability to use the three basic zoan forms allows him more maneuverability in combat, making him still a force to be reckoned with.

Islands Divided

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9730/3apa3.png
the map would have been handy earlier

After dealing with the bounty hunters, Hachi reveals to the Strawhats how the islands are divided up into eight sectors, each housing a different class of people. Each of these divisions is a group of ten groves (or 9 in the case of the first division since there is no Grove 0…that we know of). Groves 70 to 79 constitute the hotel district. As stated in the previous chapter, this is generally where ordinary citizens stay while awaiting permission from the World Government to cross through Mariejoa. Groves 60 to 69 are where the local Marine base is located and is designated for government use. I guess this weakens my view in previous reviews about the government not wanting to get involved here, but even though there is a military presence here, I still think the “blind eye” approach is a somewhat accurate description of their role here. They do their job here when a pirate endangers the public but don’t dig too deeply into illegal dealings lest it lead back to the Tenryuubito. Groves 50 to 59 house the shipyards and coating engineers, which seems a bit odd since the coating engineer Hachi is taking them to see supposedly lives on Grove 13. I’d guess that it is primarily a shipyard where merchants buy the ships off the people planning to cross the Red Line overland route. These merchants then can sell the ships to people going through the Grand Line backwards, break it down to sellable parts, or coat the ships to make them tourist boats to see Fishman Island. Groves 40 to 49 are where the gift shops are located. This area we’ve already seen as a place where merchants try to make a few bucks on idiot tourists. Groves 30 to 39 are the location for the amusement park. We will most likely be venturing there in the near future but at this point we can assume there are a number of rides involving bubbles. Finally, Groves 1 to 29 are considered lawless zones. It is here that the strongest of the outlaws hang out and is also the location where the slave market is run. As they are currently in Grove 16, this puts them in the middle of the danger zone. Here the law doesn’t apply and so just as the place is a haven for pirates it is a magnet for bounty hunters as well.

Old Buddy

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1622/4asz4.png
she looks damn good for a senior citizen

When they finally reach their destination at Grove 13, Hachi finally gives a bit more info on the identity of the people they are going to meet. Apparently Hachi has known these two from his childhood but has not seen them in ten years. Due to this long time span, it is understandable that Caimie and Pappagg, who met Hachi somewhat recently, were never introduced to these people. We can assume that the last time Hachi saw them was just before he left with Arlong. Jimbei’s pirate crew was most likely centralized at Fishman Island but after he became a Shichibukai, Arlong took a group of his fellow crewmates and created his own crew that left for East Blue. Since the takeover of Cocoyashi was eight years ago, leaving Fishman Island ten years ago sounds about right as it gives them two years to figure out the perfect location for their little empire. When we actually go inside, we meet Shakkie, one of Hachi’s two friends, as she is in the middle of extorting a customer out of money. Even though she hadn’t seen Hachi for ten years, she warmly welcomes him and the others as if she didn’t have a beaten and bloodied man in her grasp. She is genuinely glad to hear that Hachi has quit the pirating life and started honest work, implying that she knew all along that Hachi’s personality was not well suited with Arlong’s type of pirate crew. When she takes note of Caimie coming so far inland as a mermaid, she suggests that she might be Hachi’s girl, which Caimie is shocked to hear and denies. However, this does imply that it is not exactly uncommon for merpeople and fishmen to be romantically involved. If it had not been for the single instance we saw during Hachi’s cover arc of a female octopus fishman, it would be easy to assume that fishmen and merpeople are the same race with the former being always male and the latter always female. However, due to that little detail I guess they are simply separate species that are allowed to intermarry. It does bring up some questions on the species of the children though. Anyways, while Shakkie catches up with Hachi, Brooke and Luffy have already made themselves at home and raided the fridge. Given the earlier scene of extortion, Chopper becomes concerned that it is a trick to get money out of them, but since they are friends of Hachi, she treats them like family and lets them eat for free.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1998/5acy7.png
never trust strangers with candy...unless it's cotton candy

In order to calm Chopper’s suspicion, Shakkie gives the reindeer some cotton candy, which sparks some curiosity in Luffy as to how she knew Chopper’s favorite food. Apparently she instantly recognized Luffy and Chopper as the Strawhat crew since they are quite famous and she herself seems to deal somewhat as an information broker. She had read about the Enies Lobby incident and knew that the crew was headed towards Shabondy eventually anyways. Though Brooke’s existence as a skeleton and a crewmember were a surprise to her, Luffy and Chopper were recognizable enough to make the connection. While most people misjudge Luffy based on either his high bounty or his laidback appearance, Shakkie shows a high degree of intelligence and proves herself as a good judge of character. Some see Luffy’s bounty or read about Enies Lobby and assume he is dangerous, but Shakkie was able to see through the lies of the newspapers and could tell that it was the World Government rather than the Strawhats that initiated the attack. When she asks for the truth of the matter, she is impressed by the fact that Luffy doesn’t want to brag about the accomplishment that others consider the cornerstone of his fame. She also notes that Luffy shares a family name with Vice-Admiral Garp and even before Luffy confirmed this family tie, she was able to assume it based most likely on the similarity of their personalities. After the subject of Garp is brought up, it is revealed that Shakkie too was a pirate but she left that life around forty years ago. Assuming she was at least 18 at the time, that would make her at least 58 by now and she looks damn good for her age. There is a chance that she has some connection to Kureha as both are tall women who dress similarly and defy their true ages in terms of either looks or life force. They also both have extensive knowledge about previous generations of pirates as Kureha was the first to identify Roger as a D.

Hide and Seek

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1796/6ahj0.png
that reminds me i need to make sure i go to Disneyland over the summer

After catching up with Hachi and getting to know Luffy, Shakkie is able to assume the reason her guests have come. Unfortunately, Hachi’s other friend, Rayleigh, is the master coating engineer and he has been gone for half a year. Fortunately, he hasn’t actually left the archipelago but rather has just decided to wander around and not come back to Shakkie’s place. He too is a former pirate and though he has forsaken that old way of life, he still cannot get used to calling a single place home and so he simply drifts through the archipelago’s bars and spends the night at various women’s houses. When the Strawhats decide to track him down, Shakkie tells them that as Rayleigh is wanted by the marines, he usually limits his wandering to the lawless areas of Groves 1 to 29. This is not only the “safe zone” for outlaws but it is where all the best bars and gambling houses are located. Shakkie also reveals that he does have a weakness for the amusement park and can sometimes be found there. After hearing this, Luffy, Brooke, Chopper, and Caimie are all united in choosing that as the first place to look despite Pappagg’s objection. This brings up an issue from a couple chapters back when Caimie was depressed that something held her back from going to the amusement park. This may have simply been fear of being caught as a mermaid. However, now they have a good reason to enter the park and to her a good enough reason to risk getting noticed. I think we can assume we’ll see a trip to the amusement park fairly soon and that is most likely where we will end up finding our coating mechanic.

United Paths

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6832/7anq2.png
couldn't this have been explained at the start of the Grand Line?

Before heading out to find Rayleigh, Shakkie warns Luffy that wherever they go on this archipelago there is a great risk of danger. Even outside of the marines and bounty hunters, there are pirates here that rival the Strawhats. Including Luffy and Zoro, there are a total of 11 pirates with heads worth more than 100 million. That number seems a bit shocking as up till now, Luffy’s exploits have seemed to rock the world and made massive headlines. Shakkie reminds them that there are a number of different paths the log pose could take through the Grand Line. However, as the only ways through the Red Line and into the New World are through Mariejoa and Fishman Island, all paths must pass through the Shabondy Archipelago, bringing the top rookies from each path to one place. What is left unclear is whether Fishman Island is actually set as the log pose’s next destination for all paths. From the map, there are two possibilities. In one case, each of the paths besides the one the Strawhats followed point to an island in the New World on the Red Line’s other side. The crews then follow the Red Line instead of the log pose to reach Shabondy. They then pass right through the undersea tunnel to avoid the pose changing and continue on their set path. The other possibility is that Fishman Island is similar to Reverse Mountain in that after passing through, any of a new set of paths can be taken and the path taken in the New World is unrelated to the path taken in the first half.

The Other 9

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8773/8amv6.png
that has yet to be proven, Chopper

Along with the news that there are 9 other pirates with bounties over 100 million on the archipelago at present, Shakkie reveals that one even has a bounty higher than Luffy’s. For this section, I will analyze each of the pirates separately but there are a few overall comments I must make first. I know it is a running theory that as there are 9 Strawhats and 9 of these guys, it is set up for a bunch of one on one fights. However, I seriously doubt this is the case in that it is all too staged. It is clear from the changes from the norm last arc that Oda has realized his fights have become somewhat formulaic. Unless there is a reason that the plot calls for it, Oda doesn’t generally reveal much if anything about fighting styles or a reason for a specific Strawhat to be the opponent until the fight actually starts. Here though he has basically handed us reasons for specific Strawhats to fight based on the norms of their previous fights, which makes me more than a little suspicious. While I am all in favor of the main opponent this arc being something other than a government ally, I am not convinced that these guys will be among the opposing group. Instead we may see them fill the same role as Bellamy, they may ally with the Strawhats against a common enemy, they may be fodder for some more powerful enemy that Luffy will need to fight, or some combination where different individuals from these nine each fall into one of the aforementioned situations.

Capone “Gang” Bege

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8871/8bbt7.png
never disrespect the family

Quite obviously, this guy is based off of Al Capone, an Italian American gangster from the 1920’s. Similarly, his pirate crew is made to more resemble the Italian mafia than an actual pirate crew. His crew also refers to him as “Father,” furthering the imagery of the Italian mafia being based around mob families. As for the Strawhat he is meant to parallel or is implied to fight, I’d say the closest would be either Franky or Brooke. The “family” nature of his gang can be related to the Franky Family gang. If he was to use his family as a shield, Franky would claim that the boss is supposed to be the shield for the family. As for Brooke, I could see Brooke’s definition of a gentleman infuriating Bege. That said, at this point I don’t think we’ll see much in the way of fighting out of him and he may actually ally with Luffy out of respect for the closeness of the Strawhat “family.”

“Glultton” Jewelry Bonney

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1736/8cru3.png
I call for an eating contest between her and Luffy

This pirate was based off of an Irish American pirate of the 1700’s named Anne Bonny. This real life pirate, though she never actually captained a ship, she was quite prone to impulsive actions of a number of sorts from setting her father’s plantation on fire to having an affair with a pirate and then leaving her husband behind to elope. Oda has taken this impulsive aspect of Anne Bonney and taken it a step further to characterize her as a glutton who does whatever she wants despite its deviation from social rules. Obviously, her gluttony is meant to parallel Nami’s greed, but the difference in the bounties of the two is still enough of a factor to make me hesitant at the idea of these two fighting. If she is to fit into one of the roles I’d mentioned, I would guess she is a potential ally if only to see a scene with Sanji providing her limitless food while swooning.

“Magician” Basil Hawkins

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4456/8dcp2.png
pain in the ass vertical picture

Unlike the previous two, this pirate’s basis is a bit looser. While quite obviously, the name Hawkins is a reference to the protagonist of the novel, Treasure Island, this pirate does not seem quite the same type of character. In the novel, Jim Hawkins is a kid who is thrown into a pirating adventure after chance throws a treasure map into his hands. This Basil Hawkins though is the third highest bounty head on the archipelago and seems to have a great belief in fate. My best guess is that his view on fate and his title of “The Magician” are in reference to how the various aspects of the story in Treasure Island have been reincorporated into so many other pirate tales and legends based around mystic events, the most recent and commonly known being the “Pirates of the Caribbean” movies. While Hawkins obviously cannot perform real magic since Oda has said before that magic will never be an explanation for any events in One Piece, I think there are other explanations for his title. One explanation is that it comes simply from his way of speech, which involves talk of fate and mystic premonitions. Another explanation is that he is a devil fruit user or illusionist that is a master of deception in combat. As for the Strawhat he parallels, there doesn’t seem to be any at this point either due to him possibly allying later on or Oda keeping him somewhat mysterious until much later in the arc when there is a reason to fight him.

Eustace “Captain” Kidd

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/687/8exu3.png
this kid desperately needs to be locked up

This is another quite obvious reference as there was a real life Captain Kidd. However, Like with Hawkins, Oda took quite a few leaps away from the name’s origin in creating this character. The real Captain Kidd was not actually one of the more successful pirates of his time and it is even unclear whether many of his acts of piracy were in fact acts ordered by others as a privateer (being paid by a government to attack and plunder enemy ships as a private citizen rather than as a military force). However, his naivety led him to a number of stupid decisions that thrust the title of pirate upon him. He believed that his political ties would help him out of serious matters such as murder and conviction. Oda has taken this naivety of the real version and combined it with the connotation of the name Kidd to recreate the character as a young man with a strong sense of juvenile arrogance. He seems to like finding the smallest reason to pick a fight and is confident enough in his skill to follow through with killing those he wants to. Shakkie reveals that the reason his bounty is higher than Luffy’s is because Kidd’s crew causes massive civilian casualties. Both Oda and myself have divided pirates into two classes: noble pirates who search for hidden treasures and adventure, and pillaging pirates who steal from others to increase their wealth and power. This info regarding Kidd calls for the second group to be divided further into thieves and murderers. Thieves (which are representative of the classical view of pirates) will pillage a town or ship looking for loot and may wound or kill any civilians that get in their way. Murderers like Kidd’s crew enter a town and kill off everyone they see and afterward can take everything they want uninterrupted. Obviously Kidd is the implied opponent of Luffy as he is the one whose bounty surpasses Luffy’s and whose style is the most deplorable. However, I can’t accept that he is the big bad guy of the arc for a few reasons. First of all, his actual bounty at the present time is less than Moria’s was way back when it was halted, so fighting Kidd is a step backwards. Add to this the fact that Kidd’s bounty is heightened by killing massive numbers of innocents rather than single strong opponents like Luffy has (though granted he has likely had his share of those as well). Finally, while his attitude and actions are despicable, he does not seem the type to pull off something diabolical. He slaughters indiscriminately while Luffy’s opponents usually have some type of evil goal they are working towards. My guess is that even before Luffy gets to fight him seriously, he will be defeated by whoever this arc’s real villain happens to be as a way to prove this villain’s power.

Scratchmen Apoo

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7917/8fkk5.png
are those braces, piano keys, or just weird teeth?

I tried to find some basis for which Oda might have created this character but it was far less successful than the others I have done so far. Anything I found could only qualify under the very loosest sense and so any similarity is nearly guaranteed to be coincidental. Basically, he seems from his clothing and stance to be from a culture reminiscent of Chinese culture. However, his stature and face are clearly not based on a Chinese design. His height is referenced by his status as a member of the long hand tribe, which is clear by the length of his arms and I’m guessing his style is most likely prominently skilled in fighting with his hands and arms rather than his feet. Obviously, the Strawhat he is implied to fight is Sanji as our favorite cook always seems to fight the martial artists among the opponents. This one I think we may actually see fight a Strawhat though not as a member of the actual opposing force. He seems to have great pride in his abilities and could be used for a Strawhat or an actual bad guy to prove his strength before the actual final fights begin.

“Red Flag” X Drake

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3494/8giu9.png
this guy's real counterpart was awesome

Once again, the basis for this pirate is fairly obvious as he is based on the English privateer Francis Drake. While his acts were not official piracy but instead were orders from the Queen of England, he was nonetheless referred to as a pirate by the angry Spaniards who he had made a career or pillaging from. In addition to these acts of government endorsed piracy, he was also the second-in-command of the English fleet in its legendary defeat of the Spanish Armada. This makes Drake one of the most obvious references among these pirates. This Drake is a former Marine officer, which mirror’s his real counterpart’s celebrated service during the Spanish Armada’s defeat. Unlike the real Drake though, this one left his military post to become an actual pirate. He wears a crested helmet and eye-mask for some reason that gives him a look somewhat reminiscent of an eagle or hawk in order to convey fierceness. He also seems to reference the X in his title quite a bit with a scar on his chin, a tattoo across his chest, and an axe with 4 blades positioned into an X. One surprising thing is that in his introduction, he stops a battle between two of the other pirates worth over 100 million. He tells them to save their battle for after they enter the New World. While he is no longer a marine, he still has a strong sense of how battles should be fought honorably. As long as they are grounded here, they are simply picking fights and producing needless violence and destruction. If they are to fight, they should do so as pirates, and not as bored, squabbling children. More than anyone else among the introduced pirates I can see this guy allying with the Strawhats. His sense of honor is strong and if the Archipelago or Fishman Island is threatened by a diabolical force, Drake would be one to stand up to that force just like the Strawhats.

“Demon Monk” Urouge

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4162/8hxy4.png
Hulk smash!

For this character I didn’t expect to find much if anything in terms of a character basis from his name. I guess in terms of appearance you could claim some similarity to Andre the Giant, but you could say the same for most giant, hulking beings. Basically, this guy is mostly to show that sky islanders can and have come down to the Blue Sea to make names for themselves. Since the sky islanders have wings and were thought of as angels, Urouge continues with this idea of having a theme based in religion. In this case he follows the theme of a Buddhist monk. However, his look is less based on reality and more based on the massive brutish version with the gigantic prayer beads. He does not even use a real weapon as he basically uses his incredible strength to swing around a black pillar that is not even modified to have a handle. His crew is the Heretic Monk pirates, which given his race as being a sky islander, means he was most likely banished rather than leaving on his own accord. It is possible that he and his fellow heretics were sentenced to cloud drifting but somehow survived the fall to the Blue Sea. I think that as the weakest of those above a 100 million bounty, he will be beaten rather quickly by the real enemy but may pop up later on to aid the good guys.

“Massacre Warrior”

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4060/8idn4.png
"work it harder; make it better; do it faster; makes us stronger"

In terms of character basis, we don’t have a name so we can’t go from that, but someone pointed out one thing in the spoiler thread something that I got a kick out of and given that Oda wrote this, it is more than likely the case. His helmet looks remarkably similar to one of the helmets worn by Daft Punk. It certainly wouldn’t be the first character Oda designed after a musical artist as Enel’s design was based on Eminem. From his title and silent demeanor, we can be relatively safe in assuming that he is a cold-blooded silent murderer. The special thing about him though is that other than Zoro, he is the only non-captain on the Archipelago that has a bounty of over 100 million. His weapons are also unique reverse katana blades attached to a special hand device that looks like it can rotate the blades. This character I actually see big things for in the future. Oda went to great lengths to hide his identity for a reason. He could either be operating under the order of this arc’s real villain or once the real villain is made clear, he will side with the bad guy. He seems less like a pirate and more like an assassin, so he is probably with Kidd less for the plunder and more for the opportunity to kill. I look forward to seeing what Oda does with this guy.

“Surgeon of Death” Trafalgar Law

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1830/8jho1.png
just who the hell are you?

For this pirate, the basis for his name is somewhat unique as Trafalgar is not the name of any individual but rather the name of a decisive British naval victory over a united force of Spain and France. I’ve tried desperately to find some kind of valid connection to this battle through his appearance or title, but nothing fits well enough to be considered viable. This leaves three options. The first option is that Oda liked the name Trafalgar when he was looking around in British naval victories while researching Drake and then decided to use it for one of the other pirates. The second option is that while his name is based on the battle, his character is based on a participant in the battle. Unfortunately, we don’t have enough to go on yet to determine if this is the case, but after we see his personality show more, I’ll come back to this to check it out. The third option is that his name foreshadows events that will happen this arc. Of all the pirates here, he seems the most shady and manipulative, so I wouldn’t doubt it if he is the one that will initiate a massive naval battle or something of the sort that parallels the legendary British victory. As far as the character’s appearance and demeanor, there are quite a few traits that pull views of him in completely different directions. On one hand, his sword and bounty have quite a few people thinking Zoro will fight him though I actually doubt it since while he uses a sword, he does not look the type that would define himself as a swordsman. He also seems to have a liking for animals as one of his crew behind him has on a bear mask (not Pandaman) and many parts of his outfit are lined with fur or at least fuzzy material (including the tsuba of his sword). This along with his title as “Surgeon of Death” points more towards some type of relationship or quarrel with Chopper. Finally, the symbol he wears looks remarkably similar to DoFlamingo’s flag except while the Shichibukai’s is the smiley face crossed out, Law’s is the same smiley face with a pattern of 6 T’s surrounding it. This when combined with DoFlamingo’s manipulative ability and nature as well as his love for feathers to contrast Law’s for fur makes me seriously believe they are somehow connected.

As I was writing my analysis on Trafalgar Law, I came up with a theory off the top of my head that really clicked and started a chain of thought. I mentioned that his name might foreshadow a naval battle. As I thought about it, I realized that in the current situation, a naval battle is not only entirely likely but foreshadowed by the connections between these pirates and British naval battles and privateering. If you look through the One Piece series, we have never had a real ship to ship naval battle despite the entire series taking place on the ocean. Since having just the Sunny fighting a fleet would inevitably be reduced to fleeing or one side quickly boarding the other side, a good fight needs more ships on Sunny’s side. Now we have an arc with 9 high ranking pirate crews in one place. Each of these crews still has their own ship I assume and so with at least 4 of these joining the Sunny’s side, each with a unique personality and skill set, there is potential for a damn entertaining first ship to ship battle of the series.

The Legend

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3936/9auu7.png
i want to meet this badass

We return now to Luffy’s chat with Shakky. After revealing to Luffy that the reason why Kidd’s bounty surpasses his is because of his tendency to murder civilians, he becomes worried for Rayleigh’s safety. To this Shakky says not to worry since Rayleigh is 100 times stronger than him. While this is most likely a bit of an exaggeration, the point she makes by saying it is undoubtedly accurate. Though 100 times may not be the actual number, I have no doubt that he could easily beat any of the 11 bounty heads over 100 million including both Luffy and Kidd. However, this brings up a few issues. First of all, Shakkie said that there were only 11 bounty heads on the archipelago worth over 100 million yet she said earlier that Rayleigh was wanted by the World Government and so had to stay in the lawless zones. She even backed up the statement by saying that in terms of bounty, Luffy was second in the archipelago after Kidd. This means that either his bounty is less than 100 million or the reason he is wanted by the government is not due to an official bounty. Under the first option, it would mean that he left his pirating job before his bounty reached 100 million and it was only since he quit that he acquired this incredible power. Under the second option, the marines either have an unofficial bounty on him that can’t be announced to the public or the reason they want him is for something else entirely. The former seems unlikely as I can’t imagine why an unofficial bounty would be made. The latter seems most likely but I can’t figure out what the reason might be. One crazy theory with no basis is that he is the final unrevealed Shichibukai (or Jimbei under an alias) and has shirked his responsibilities. If this is the case, he became a shichibukai and got his bounty removed but then decided to completely ignore the job and take refuge in Shabondy.

Overall

Whew! I wonder whether it’s my dropping of Bleach reviews, my suspension of reading Naruto, or simply the fact that it’s the start of a new awesome arc but my reviews are longer than they’ve ever been (I think the last one). This arc seriously gets better and better beyond my expectations. It was also kind of nice to review a bit of my people’s history while doing this review because I find it more interesting than the American history the schools made me learn (I’m British through dual citizenship and a quite pure bloodline along with Irish). All in all, this arc looks to be one of the best of the entire series and we have not even begun to scratch the surface of it.

Ustegius
April 26, 2008, 03:39 PM
Nicely thought, I really like the naval theory ^^ About Trafalgar, what actually is his nickname? 'Cause Binktopia scan uses "Surgeon of Death" but the scan I read earlier (can't remember which group) used "Dark Doctor", which lead me (for unexplainable reasons) thinking of voodoo stuff. So how could some one explain in which ways the original can be translated? I am really intrested in Law, I really want to know his connection with Doflamingo ^^

Akainu
April 26, 2008, 04:49 PM
great review sahugani! took me quite some time to read through, but I suppose that just shows the quality of the paper ;-)
anyway, as I looked up the origins of the newly introduced pirates names I'd like to share what I found:
* Hawkins: you based him on the novel which definatelly is a possibility, but there is an other one: John Hawkins, who was an English shipbuilder, navigator, slave trader etc.
at the times of spanish armada and - what I found was very interesting, as you mentioned oda might have come from drake to trafalgar- Hawkins was Drakes second cousin.
Although it might be any or even all of his various seafaring relatives.
*Apoo: sadly english wikipedia does not have that article, but in the german one I found a pirate called Cui Apu from China, which would remarkably fit to what you wrote about his clothing.

thanks again and keep up the good work :-)

Raysen_ht
April 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
Great review of a great chapter!!!
IMO some of these other +100 mil pirates will be the inicial enimies of
the new world!
I think one (or more) of them will atack a noble and try to blame someone else thus
trigering a batlle between the crews, and whomever come to protect the nobles will defeat a couple of these captains, proving that the New World is on a totally diferent level.
I have this idea about the shishiboukai... what do you think:
There are still 7 of them, all on the new world who are the strongest ones. The general public dont have a lot of contact with them, and thats why the WG had to recruit a couple of weaker (but still very strong) pirates to live on the first half of GL and make the name Shishiboukai notorios to the most regular people. I also think that Moria was replaced by one of these "weaker" after he was defeated in the NW.
That explains why the WG would have recruted Crocodile, when they could have easely chosen a higher bouty pirate for the job... that also explains why a Shishi was so far away from the main conflict between the 3 great powers, and why the SH have already defeated 2 of 7... if it was so ease, the Yonkou (dont know how to spell it) would have done it ages ago.

Sorry for the english mistakes...

sahugani
April 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
@Ustegius - sadly i can't answer your question regarding Law's title. "Surgeon of Death" is the version Carlos Net came up with. if any translators want to help define what is meant as clearly as possible, be my guest. like you i find Law to be the most intriguing of all these guys so i hope we get to see alot more of him next chapter

@Akainu - thanks alot for finding those. i think i skimmed past that first name when i was wiki'ing because i noticed that the Treasure Island book popped up as well and i focused there. after going through the others though and noticing the strong ties to England, this John Hawkins seems more likely for the character basis but i wouldn't put it out of question that the character won't somehow relate back to the book. as for Cui Apu, big thanks for that as well. unfortunately i can't read german but from what you found, i believe that is indeed where Oda found the inspiration for Apoo

@Raysen_ht - as for your theory, it is definitely possible, but i don't think any of these guys are stupid enough to try something like that. regarding the Shichibukai, you're definitely right that they did hire weaker ones for the 1st half but i think it was less for appearance and more for the fact that they wanted a couple there that they could trust (to a degree) to stay put for easy communication. with the exception of Kuma, most of the Shichibukai are unreliable and wander around, so they needed Crocodile and Moria to look after the first half from manageable positions while the others wandered around the New World. As for Moria, i'm pretty sure that loosing to Kaidou is what caused him to side with the WG

True Blade
April 26, 2008, 09:56 PM
Very nice review. Being a big One Piece fan, getting a lot more insight into Oda's character inspirations and comparing my theories with someone else's is a nice way to make the week (or in this case 2 week) long waits a little more bearable. Poor Zoro though, heading for Grove 1 is only going to get him into trouble, being that it is one of the "lawless" zones.

Absolutio
April 26, 2008, 11:12 PM
dam! I g2g now to the army.. Will carefully read and respond at friday! ;)
Same with 497 review. :D

Akainu
April 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
just adding something...
call me blind ^^ Aohige_AP over at arlongparkforums has found something for Urouge:
"Urouge - Pirate Uruj "Redbeard" Barbarossa. Both Uruj and One Piece's Urouge is spelled the same in Japanese, ウルージ. Usually if you say ウルージ, you're talking about Redbeard."
I know I read somewhere about him but didn't remember/connect the Urouge to that, as its a very diffrent name in both german and english.

and upon looking where I read about redbeard, I found some other pirate named Walter Raleigh ... sry if someone already pointed this out ^^

furthermore I get the feeling of "looking too deep into it" upon writing this *g*

sahugani
April 27, 2008, 11:56 AM
@True Blade - ya. Golden Week is always a painful time here at MH for all series but i'm glad these reviews will help you get through it a tad bit better. as for Zoro, he's (unknowingly) of the same cut as these guys so its completely expected for him to cause trouble upon meeting them

@Absolutio - i hope everything goes well with the army. i look forward to your response

@Akainu - man, you have been fantastic at filling in those gaps. the name certainly fits with Urouge (since he can't say Redbeard without implying a connection to WB and BB), but unfortunately this Urouge is based on Buddhism while the real one was a Turkish Muslim, so until we get more, it seems that they are connected only in name

Highseas7
April 27, 2008, 01:40 PM
I agree with you Man that this arc could be the best one of the entire series, Od a just keeps outdoing himself. And out of all the supernovas i think the ones we should watch out for is the dark doctor, hawkins, and of cousre killer. To be honest with you my favorite one is urouge he's just so cooooll! lol well nicely done again sahugani

bittman
April 28, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey Sahugani,

Two words of praise to begin:
1) @ Oda. I'm probably more hyped for this arc than I have been for any other so far. Most islands the strawhats visit have only a couple of interesting characters grouped, very obviously, in one to three factions and few, or even no, characters outside these factions. This arc however had introduced many new crews, ex-pirates, evil nobles, merman, flying fish riders, bounty hunters and the possibility of admiral intervention. And it's only just begun...

2) @ Yourself. Possibly the most in depth review so far. I loved reading up on all the captains you were able to find data on, made it really worthwhile.

Meanwhile on my thoughts on the new pirates:

Bege: Mafia guy might ally, but he does not appear to be particularly nice. Somehow I see Sanji having interaction with him (as a note, I'll never say "fight" because there's no way it'll be 9v9 and guessing fights without a main villain is hard...) due to the love of fine food and the dress code (and no, not because Sanji has a crappy italian accent in english dub). EDIT: Also what made me curious was his crew name "Fire Tank" (one of the few not named after himself). If it alludes to mechanics it could be highly likely he is a Franky face off.

Bonney: Sanji again (chick + food = love) but also luffy because they both seem extremely brash. Out of the lot, I expect her as an ally more or perhaps a semi-villain (like Franky was in Water7/Enies Lobby) and in agreeance with you as possible Nami enemy (or comrades? Lola anyone?)

Hawkins: Luffy/Chopper/Usopp/Brooke will be easily impressed and thus I can see him as an ally. If not, perhaps his cheap tricks match Usopp's awesomely cheap tricks. As a side note, I can easily see him at the amusement park. EDIT: After reading over the chapter again, I feel I might have underestimated Hawkins. To be one of the four main names mentioned and with a bounty of 250mil he might be more character than first appears (so with your mysterious until the end prediction). As interest, his crew appear to be wearing shaman/monk robes and attire as well as his mention of 'lucky day' may allude to powers of a celestial nature.

Kidd: I don't see him fighting Luffy as you said, however I don't see him being defeated by a major enemy for a display of power. Rather, I see him as the anti-thesis to Luffy and when the main villain appears there will be two courses of action. Perhaps half will follow Luffy and half Kidd. Whether this will make Kidd an enemy or an ally with a goal which THEN makes him an enemy I would not hazard a guess on.

<Will do the rest later. Leaving work now! XD>
EDIT:
Apoo: I believe Apoo has potential as well because he is only one of two who were originally from the grand line, but unlike Urouge, we do not know of this island. That he does not show any fear against Kidd, to me, appears a sign of ignorance rather than power or belief. The fact he used the classic line "Dont you know how strong I am?" is usually reserved for those who are cocky and strong, but not particularly intelligent. For me, he can swing either way as ally or enemy.

Drake: Another of the five mentioned by Shakkie, I agree with your idea that he may ally the strawhats. Though his strength is clearly nothing to scoff at, unlike the other bounties Drake catches me as one of those who may have done something outside of fighting which has earnt him a larger bounty. Also, a fallen officer pirate? The holy land and admirals so close by? This guy smells of usefulness to plot.

Urouge: Slightly atypical to the brute force he represents if he decided to fight one bounty, but not to fight another. For some reason, he appears more bounty hunter than pirate to me.

Killer: DAFT PUNK!? XD Is that his hair or an extension of his mask I wonder? I agree that he has a lot of potential as a hidden character, but I think the fact that he was grouped under the Kidd pirates is what makes him a much more enticing character.

Law: Definately a Dr Chopper possibility, however again he is one of the five mentioned by Shakkie and I feel his level may be beyond our lovable reindeer. I'm tempted to agree with you that he may be related to Doflamingo which would be awesome because most other Shikabuichi (Moria, Kuma, Mihawk) had few, or any, famous crew members and Doflamingo's hand seems to spread further than any others. Also on this point, we know Doflamingo was on Jaya meaning he is quite possibly behind the strawhats on the grand line (though he obviously moves around a lot).

Another note I did want to mention though on Rayleigh and the lack of a bounty. It was mentioned that he cannot venture far outside of groves 1-29 because he is well known to marines meaning that they would not have a 'secret' bounty of him. There is the possibility that Shakkie was only referring to what pirates are over 100mil (Rayleigh quit pirateering), but there is also a chance that Rayleigh is thought to be long gone and his bounty has been removed. I think this might be more likely since this coating shop situated itself in grove 13 rather than in the 50's where all other coaters are. A third note could be that perhaps Rayleigh does not have a bounty but was somewhat like Tom (merman carpenter from Water7) who may have helped the pirate king himself and been hunted later for it. It would be nice to get a new Roger reference after all, and 2 60-ish ex-pirates look like the best opportunity in a while.

God I wrote a lot. Random musings hey? Good review as always, keep up the good work

sahugani
April 28, 2008, 06:09 AM
@Highseas7 - at this point, i seriously think this could end up being my favorite arc of the entire series. it is so awesome already and Oda tops himself each chapter. as for my favorite, it is definitely tied between Law and Killer mainly because more than any of the others, these two are the most mysterious and i think have the most potential for later twists in the arc. in addition, researching the background of Trafalgar was by far the most interesting of all the ones i did. as for Killer, i must say that while writing his section i had Daft Punk playing the entire time, which was just fun

@bittman - i think the idea of this becoming Oda's greatest arc is becoming a very common viewpoint and that is a very good thing. it's very late here so i'm only able to respond to comments on a few pirates. regarding your Kidd theory, i'm not so sure. Not only is Kidd highly unlikable but he is murderous and arrogant. i can't see crews other than his own backing him up in a struggle. regarding Killer, i'm so glad this Daft Punk look is there be it intentional or not. as for all that hair down his back, i'm inclined to think that is a fur mantle rather than his own hair. next, Law is by far the most interesting of the pirates. there is a chance of seeing some interaction with DoFlamingo, but as i'd rather move away from another Shichibukai run in, i'm hoping that we see Law make it to the New World with Luffy before we see this occur. as for Rayleigh, i doubt your first idea is the case because we have seen bounties pop up from 100 years in the past and still be viable such as the giants on Little Garden. your second idea though is one i like quite a bit. it does seem to be about time for another hint to the nature of Roger's journey.

hatsuharupeace
April 28, 2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks a lot for the review, Sahugani, loads of depth in it, which I really liked about it.

Just some things about what you've written:

The Other 9

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8773/8amv6.png
that has yet to be proven, Chopper

Along with the news that there are 9 other pirates with bounties over 100 million on the archipelago at present, Shakkie reveals that one even has a bounty higher than Luffy’s. For this section, I will analyze each of the pirates separately but there are a few overall comments I must make first. I know it is a running theory that as there are 9 Strawhats and 9 of these guys, it is set up for a bunch of one on one fights. However, I seriously doubt this is the case in that it is all too staged. It is clear from the changes from the norm last arc that Oda has realized his fights have become somewhat formulaic. Unless there is a reason that the plot calls for it, Oda doesn’t generally reveal much if anything about fighting styles or a reason for a specific Strawhat to be the opponent until the fight actually starts. Here though he has basically handed us reasons for specific Strawhats to fight based on the norms of their previous fights, which makes me more than a little suspicious. While I am all in favor of the main opponent this arc being something other than a government ally, I am not convinced that these guys will be among the opposing group. Instead we may see them fill the same role as Bellamy, they may ally with the Strawhats against a common enemy, they may be fodder for some more powerful enemy that Luffy will need to fight, or some combination where different individuals from these nine each fall into one of the aforementioned situations.

You've written about how there are 9 pirate captains on the island right now, but there are actually 8.

“Massacre Warrior”

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4060/8idn4.png
"work it harder; make it better; do it faster; makes us stronger"

In terms of character basis, we don’t have a name so we can’t go from that, but someone pointed out one thing in the spoiler thread something that I got a kick out of and given that Oda wrote this, it is more than likely the case. His helmet looks remarkably similar to one of the helmets worn by Daft Punk. It certainly wouldn’t be the first character Oda designed after a musical artist as Enel’s design was based on Eminem. From his title and silent demeanor, we can be relatively safe in assuming that he is a cold-blooded silent murderer. The special thing about him though is that other than Zoro, he is the only non-captain on the Archipelago that has a bounty of over 100 million. His weapons are also unique reverse katana blades attached to a special hand device that looks like it can rotate the blades. This character I actually see big things for in the future. Oda went to great lengths to hide his identity for a reason. He could either be operating under the order of this arc’s real villain or once the real villain is made clear, he will side with the bad guy. He seems less like a pirate and more like an assassin, so he is probably with Kidd less for the plunder and more for the opportunity to kill. I look forward to seeing what Oda does with this guy.

As you can see in the picture, he's not a captain of a crew, and is only a fighter within the Kidd Pirates.

sahugani
April 28, 2008, 06:32 AM
i'm well aware of that fact and talked about it in Killer's section. in addition, in that first bit you quoted, i can't see any instance where i may have generalized and called the 9 all captains.

Highseas7
April 28, 2008, 09:56 AM
oh hey one question on basil hawkins wats with the tattoo at his neck? it might give more insight to his character somewhat , i've been trying to dig up but im not that good

lelouch
April 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
Well my first impressions-

Not gonna repeat what others have said...

Kidd seems arrogant, rash, impulsive whilst his first mate Killer seems to be his opposite in terms of personality. I find it hard to understand why a quiet, dangerous and seemingly calculating man would follow someone like Kidd, which led me to speculate that perhaps Killer is a powerful assassin, who likes to kill, and only follows Kidd because he is given the opportunity to do so. His name kinda says it all really doesn't it? :P I have a feeling that he will betray Kidd some time in the future. Also, I don't believe Kidd is as powerful as you guys portray him to be; irl he was a failure of a pirate, and here, his bounty seems a tad bit inflated due to his numerous civilian massacres. He doesn't seem to be a match for Luffy and Co at all.

Drake seems to have a sense of justice, considering how he stops the fight between Urouge and Killer. He also seems quite powerful, IMO one of the top 5 of the Supernovas (others Luffy, Killer, Law and Hawkins). I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that he did not have a devil fruit, and he relied on his skill with weapons to fight. Agreed wtih bittman, that he does seem to be a character who will advance the plot, perhaps revealing one or two of the WG's dark secrets.

Law and Hawkins both seem really powerful. Law seems to have an aloof and quietly arrogant personality, whilst Hawkins has a calm demeanor, watching Drake stop Killer and Urouge from fighting. Quite obviously, he doesn't fear either of them. Law on the other hand, though I would say he seems arrogant, doesn't seem the type to flaunt his power in other people's faces. His quiet arrogance seems to stem from his power; in other words, he knows that he is powerful and he is absolutely confident in his abilities. I know thats alot of analysis judging from the fact that we've only seen his face. :P Both of them probably have devil fruit abilities, Hawkins one is probably some light or illusionary technique, whilst Law seems to be death/voodoo themed.

The less significant pirates - Bonny, Capone, Urouge and Apoo. Apoo clearly has a sound theme, he definitely has a DF sound ability. I would say Capone relies on his weapons to fight - hence the name Firetank pirates. THey probably possess massive firepower, perhaps a galleon of some sort. Bonny and Urouge I would hope are martial artists, though Urouge would also probably be a dial user. It would be nice seeing more dials, and would be interesting if he knew Enel.

The pirates I predict will perish in this arc - Apoo, Capone, Kidd and -maybe- Hawkins. Those who will make it through - Bonny, Urouge (these 2 only because Oda is kind to his women and Urouge is from a Sky Island), Drake and Law. Killer will probably turn out to be some sort of assassin or bounty hunter working for the WG, rebels or some Yonkou crew.

Sarmad
April 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
hey sahugani

first off, thanks for another great and rather early review! ^^ i had a feeling that you had a lot to say about this chapter!

And it is one hell of a chapter!! though not on the same level as the one where zoro fights kuma, not even near it! But it's an amazing and promising one [for the upcoming arc] nonetheless!

I wondered at first what you would say about the 9 rookies, as it is sometimes hard to say anything at all about a new character. And we really merely saw a glance of some of them here, which makes it really hard to extract anything from the info given.
but you pulled it off. ^^

I reallly love your analysis of the 9 rookies with all the background info.
i may have researched [probably in them middle of the arc] some names in order to satisfy my own curiosity, but not that thorough. :) that said, i don't have anything to add about the rookies. I didn't have much to say about them in the first place, since there are so many possibilites as to what roles they could play in the big game and stating the obvious would be lame in this thread! ^^
however, i do have a feeling and also believe, like so many others, that this arc could easily become one of the best or "the best arc"!
the reason are simple. we have a lot of strong guys, a battlefield and many signs for an upcoming conflict. and the introduction of so many characters at once indicates, that they'll be part of whatever happens in the near future.

I have been waiting for such an event in One Piece! A real battle with many participants or parties! And your theory about a naval battle is simply mind blowing. It just fits the grand picture perfectly.

And this is also why i've come to love Oda ^^
He gives you a basis (9 rookies, world nobles, human trafficking) and with that you can create so many possible courses in your mind. With naruto and Bleach you have all these limitations (i'm not bashing ^^) as to what could happen next, which makes the stories rather predictable. Though they have their moments of greatness, like bleach' flashback chapters.
The introduction of the 9 rookies was, by the way, kind of similar to the introduction of the Espada, or so i at least feel.
This kind of also makes it clear what the difference between One Piece and all the other mangas is.
The world of One Piece is vast. Making everything possible ^^
And it is ever growing with each new character and story!
I love it and i am already sad, cause i know that the journey has to end some day ^^

sahugani
April 29, 2008, 02:34 AM
@Highseas7 - i've taken the liberty of some wiki work researching the symbol of Hawkins' tattoo. this may be looking into things a little too deeply, but after researching it a bit, it has given me some ideas i quite like. it is obviously a cross and specifically, it its style of narrowing towards the center makes it a cross pattée. the cross is used in association with a couple orders of Christian crusaders, specifically the orders of the Teutonic Knights and the Knights Templar. this makes me think that Hawkins may in some respects be thought of as less of a pirate and more as a holy knight. that is also quite fitting with the hooded monk-like appearance of his subordinates behind him. though he is a pirate, he performs noble acts quite often as well and legitimizes every action he takes as being the will of god.

@lelouch - it is never specifically stated that Killer is the first mate of the Kidd pirates. though he is the second strongest of the crew, his silent nature does not make him ideal to do the things that Zoro has done in the capacity of first mate. i suspect that on Kidd's boat, the role of first mate is irrelevant anyways as he does not accept anyone below him to second guess his rule the way Zoro has done with Luffy. regarding Killer betraying Kidd in the future, i have to agree with you. he is there because it lends him the opportunity to killand if a better offer comes along, he'll take it. either that or he is under secret orders as a professional assassin not unlike the CP9 but in the private sector rather than government commissioned. and you're also right about Kidd being a bit overhyped. his bounty reflects his danger to the innocent people rather than danger to the government's powerhouses like Luffy's.

regarding Drake not having a devil fruit, i fully agree with you. he seems more the type to get his strength through rigorous training not unlike Zoro. i'd also love it if he did end up revealing some government secrets during this arc. if the pirate alliance i so want to happen occurs, i'm really pulling for Drake and Robin to get some time together because by pooling the knowledge of these two we could get some really big twist. i also hope they find a poneglyph together

the impression i got from Law is that he is manipulative and loves to see fights to the death. i suspect somehow he is the one that initiated the fight between Urouge and Killer just so that he could see some bloodshed. he likes to set the wheels in motion and then sit on the sidelines to witness the two parties trying to kill each other. as for voodoo abilities, i think that would work rather well for him as it allows him to be his manipulative self without getting himself directly involved. as for Hawkins having illusory abilities, it certainly would fit his title of "The Magician," but there are too many variables at this point to make a valid guess

as for Apoo's sound theme, i'd say that is a pretty sure thing. between his headphones, the way he holds his hands out, and this name ("scratch" man), i'd say its quite accurate to say he has a DJ theme to him. since i don't envision a martial artist whipping out a sound system and turntable, its safe to say he'll use a DF to further this DJ theme somehow

as for the other (lesser) pirates revealed this chapter, i'd say your guesses are as good as any. i also have to agree with your list of who will make it through. as long as Drake and Law make it through though, i'm happy. those two more than any others show true potential for developments in the New World

@Sarmad - this chapter is a completely different class of chapter than the deeply emotional chapters like Zoro's sacrifice and Merry's funeral and so comparisons between the two are useless. the emotional chapters are the ones that are forever memorable and stand out in the history of the series as the truly epic chapters. ones like this though are awesome in their revelations but blend more smoothly into the entirity of the arc and eventually we remember the events as part of the epic arc rather than the epic chapter

i'm very glad so many people are on the same page as me regarding this arc being potentially the best one ever. props to Oda for continually being able to outdo himself. not only that, but as you mentioned he is capable of creating these plots that while being extraordinarily epic are also basically unpredictable. this puts it on a tier far above other shounen titles. however, as you said, it is sad that we know it must end one day. fortunately though, we know that won't happen for a good long while as Oda still has a ton of New World adventures to get through

bebekhappy
April 29, 2008, 06:18 AM
What a review!!awesome as always...^^

i've got a lot to say about this chap n this review but most of it already said and discussed above in the previous posts^^.
Among these 9 rookies, my favorite 2 are Kidd and Law.
Two things for Kidd,
First he reminds me alot with Bellamy "The Hyena", His attitude and appearance resembles alot (But honestly when i his face somehow i see DB's Freeza ^^!) and also we've see his other crew whom maybe the second strongest one just like Sarquiss in Bellamy crew, thus i see the fight between Kidd and Luffy seems inevitable.Then i'm beginning to wish for him to be beaten by Luffy easily like when he owned Bellamy (one Hit K.O), i know it's unlikely for Oda to make a repetitive thing in OP, but i hope this could happen.
Second thing mainly because one of my favorite childhood manga was "Captain Kidd", which also a pirate theme manga, it was because of that i start to read One Piece.

About Trafalgar Law, i like him because he look so mysterious and after read your review i support your theory that he will triggered something big in this arc. Or maybe later he will play the role that'll lead us to some unexpected things or something like that.

And the naval battle theory that is something really amazing to see later in this arc since we've been introduced to these many high level outlaws here....ugh i can't stop my imagination on how great these battle will be if it happens,.

pandaman1982
April 30, 2008, 06:04 AM
I like the link between the Knights Templar and Hawkins myself, it fits with the cassocks and his way of speech, I also suspect he may not be a magician and that mystic is perhaps more appropriate. Considering the legends regarding the Knights Templar I would hazard the guess that he's the most likely to have knowledge of the poneglyphs and weapons and may possibly possess other relics of the lost civilisation less devestating than the weapons but still rather potent hoarded by his family or order and taken with him when he embarked on a career as a pirate.

Absolutio
May 01, 2008, 08:42 AM
Well, first of all, thanks alot for working so hard on researching and building up this review. It's an excelent one, and very enjoyable to read! :D
Well, I read the replies, and everyone just talked and discussed the novas, but it was odd to me that no one thought of what I'm going to ask now.
Former pirates? How is it possible?
If you're a pirate, and you're being assigned a bounty (which in shakky and his friend's case, should probably be a very high one), how can you become an ex-pirate? You can't just go to a marine officer and say "well, I quit..". So how can you resign your piratehood? It seems really odd for me.. :s

sahugani
May 01, 2008, 03:01 PM
@bebekhappy - ya, Kidd is a bit reminiscent of Bellamy and in a way Killer is the same for Saquiss. unlike Luffy's Bellamy fight though, i doubt a duel between Kidd and Luffy would be one quite so easily (though Luffy would still whoop his ass). i'm still banking on Kidd being toppled by some truly evil character as a way of proving that this guy can easily take out pirates at the Level that Luffy's bounty says he is. regarding the naval battles, i'm the same way. i keep envisioning these highly cinematic and elaborate ship-to-ship battles with the Sunny and Drake's ship along with a few others fighting against an armada

@pandaman1982 - ya. i'm definitely liking this characterization of Hawkins as a mystic crusader than a "magician." between his mysterious origins, Drake's military knowledge, and Robin's desire to study history, i have very little doubt that we will find a poneglyph and one if not both of the aforementioned "supernovas" will help Robin find it. we don't know what kinds of technologies the exterminated people from the lost century had but we know it was highly advanced. it is possible that the name "magician" comes from his use of these technologies (now considered relics) that no one else understands and only he has access to.

@Absolutio - first of all, how was the army? other than that, you bring up a very good point. i did talk about this issue a bit regarding Rayleigh, but now that i think about it, there is the matter of Shakkie as well. she was clearly enough of a threat to have Garp on her tail. however, we can't be certain that Garp from forty years ago was yet the marine hero we know him as today. it is possible that Shakkie's bounty did not even exceed 100 million before she quit. For Rayleigh though, i mentioned a couple ideas but nothing that i find too plausible. the only known ways of making a bounty disappear are being caught, death, or becoming a Shichibukai. i mentioned the idea that he was a Shichibukai trying to shirk his duties (either the unrevealed last one or Jimbei in disguise) but i must say that while it's a fun idea, i don't see it as the truth. this leaves either death or capture performed in such a way to trick the marines into removing the bounty. he could have pulled a trick similar to Kuro (though a cooler version) to fake his own capture and thus clear the search for him. as for death, he would have needed to supply a body to convince the marines since otherwise the bounty would just sit around still active while collecting dust. for both the options of capture and death, he'd need to supply a body to stand in for him. this is just a wild and baseless theory, but what if he had a devil fruit that let him clone himself like Jaime Madrox (Multiple Man from X-men). Robin can clone body parts but we have yet to see a person who can duplicate himself fully. it is a DF power that i want to see and can imagine Oda one day pulling out of his hat. add to that that it would explain Shakkie's clam of being a hundred times stronger than Luffy. if even without a devil fruit his normal power is on par with one of the supernovae, imagine the power of a hundred man army of clones

pandaman1982
May 01, 2008, 03:57 PM
I've been thinking about Raleigh and whether or not he has a bounty myself if we ignore the possibility that Shakkie was only counting active pirates and that he may well have an active bounty it does leave us with few options.

To be honest the biggest problem I have with him being a shichibkai completely ignoring his duties is that the world government wouldn't let that slide unless his name alone was legendary and terrifying enough to bring other pirates in line by the thought that he might come after them. I took a quick look at Sir Walter Raleigh on wikipedia, the obvious reference for the name in the hopes of finding something to help hypothesise but the historical Raleigh actually sounds like a ringer for Norland amusingly enough.

All in all I think I'm personally leaning towards him being a part of Roger's crew and his strength being overshadowed by his fellow crewmates to the point that his bounty was less significant at the point of his "retirement" but compared to the striplings that come to enther the New World he's a titan, though that's fuelled by the dream of another fragment of Roger's history and Oda may not be ready to give us anything after the Shanks revelation.

Edit: More and more I think that you may well be right that this arc will feature an epic naval battle or an armada of some sort as it just seems to coincidental that we would have three individuals with name connections to the Spanish Armada, Drake, Hawkins, and Raleigh. I also found this page while lookign for info that might interest you http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/pirates/piratesrhawkins.html there's a paragraph about Richard Hawkins the son of John Hawkins that I found particularly interesting as from it could gel quite nicely with the previous hypothesising regarding Hawkins.
Richard Hawkins' great ambition was to sail round the world on a voyage that would combine piracy and pillage with scientific exploration. In 1593, he left England in a ship his mother had originally and rather wistfully named the Repentance, but which Queen Elizabeth renamed the Dainty. He crossed the Atlantic and sailed through the Strait of Magellan like Drake before him.

Absolutio
May 01, 2008, 04:23 PM
@Absolutio - first of all, how was the army?
Well, atm I've only started in the army, so almost done with the basic training that has nothing to do with what I'll do in my army service at all.. :s Anyways, I'm home early this week coz I'm sick, so I'm allowed to rest in my home. Yey for antibiotics! :D
But after next week I'm finishing with my basic army training and then starting with my 3 months computer course, since I'm going to computer in my 3-4 army service. :s (In Israel, you have to get recuited by the army.. :s after all, we're surounded by hostile countries.. :p). But atm, I'm doing fine. =D

other than that, you bring up a very good point. i did talk about this issue a bit regarding Rayleigh, but now that i think about it, there is the matter of Shakkie as well. she was clearly enough of a threat to have Garp on her tail. however, we can't be certain that Garp from forty years ago was yet the marine hero we know him as today.
Well, generally you talk about garp from 40-10 years ago (shakkie has to be at least 10 years at the archipelgo becuase it has been 10 years since she saw hacchin, but it seems like she was there some time earlier as well. and we all know what happend 10 years before 10 years ago.. :p). And I kinda think that garp was a prodigy from the start, just like luffy, but from the marines' side, so having him personally tail you does say quite a lot.

it is possible that Shakkie's bounty did not even exceed 100 million before she quit.
Still, having a bounty=wanted. How do you make yourself "unwanted"?

For Rayleigh though, i mentioned a couple ideas but nothing that i find too plausible. the only known ways of making a bounty disappear are being caught, death, or becoming a Shichibukai. i mentioned the idea that he was a Shichibukai trying to shirk his duties (either the unrevealed last one or Jimbei in disguise) but i must say that while it's a fun idea, i don't see it as the truth.
I don't think that a Shichibukai will either side-job as a ship coater or be wanted by the marines. Sounds very unpropable to me.. :s And my guess is that he's wanted by the marines not by bounty, but just because of local gambling/fights/w.e stuffs he done on the archipelgo.

this leaves either death or capture performed in such a way to trick the marines into removing the bounty. he could have pulled a trick similar to Kuro (though a cooler version) to fake his own capture and thus clear the search for him. as for death, he would have needed to supply a body to convince the marines since otherwise the bounty would just sit around still active while collecting dust. for both the options of capture and death, he'd need to supply a body to stand in for him. this is just a wild and baseless theory, but what if he had a devil fruit that let him clone himself like Jaime Madrox (Multiple Man from X-men). Robin can clone body parts but we have yet to see a person who can duplicate himself fully. it is a DF power that i want to see and can imagine Oda one day pulling out of his hat. add to that that it would explain Shakkie's clam of being a hundred times stronger than Luffy. if even without a devil fruit his normal power is on par with one of the supernovae, imagine the power of a hundred man army of clones

Tajuu Kage Bunshin no Jutsu? :p

sahugani
May 01, 2008, 04:26 PM
@pandaman1942 - as i said, i don't really like the Shichibukai angle myself. its just an idea i thought i might as well toss into the ring. regarding Walter Raleigh, we cannot be sure if this historical figure is somehow the basis of the character without either more evidence or the official romanization of Rayleigh's name. in any case, it does seem that most of the available Raleigh references were taken by Norland (claiming to have found a golden city and a city that mysteriously disappears when he comes back).

regarding the Roger idea, i've resisted the thought for a while since Shakkie said she left piracy 40 years ago and Roger's journey was only 20 years ago. there is the possibility though that Rayleigh's relationship with Roger was more like Tom's. he may not have been a part of Roger's crew but rather played a significant role in helping the Pirate King accomplish his journey

pandaman1982
May 01, 2008, 04:35 PM
To be honest while I'm not convinced at the idea of him being part of Roger's crew myself, and I mean no offense by this it would be flawed to assume that he's been there for 40 years himself as it is quite possible that he met Shakkie some time after she quit piracy, and we know Oda loves to mess with our assumptions. All we know for certain is that Hachi knew him 10 years ago, he's incredibly strong, coats ships, is an ex-pirate, has wanderlust and loves the Amusement Park... Already I think I'm going to love this guy.

Edit: I was actually building a theory that he was a famous ex-admiral and that the WG hadn't put a bounty on him for the embarassment and sign of weakness it would appear but the marines know and are looking for an oppportunity to take him out quietly, then I remembered Shakkie said he was an ex-pirate. Every idea is valid until disproven, and I just enjoy killing time waiting for new chapters by discussing theories and looking for possible evidence to prove or disprove them.

sahugani
May 01, 2008, 04:39 PM
@Absolutio - regarding Shakkie, while we know she was a former pirate, we still don't know how actively the marines want to catch her as she is still in the lawless zone so without more info, we still don't know what her current bounty status is. as for Garp, she could have been a bounty head less than 100 million serving under a captain worth more. she said Garp chased her, but that includes everyone she shared a ship with.

and yes, it is basically taijuu kage bunshin no jutsu but now that you say that, it makes it a lot less fun. Naruto is on the far back burner of my mind right now so even that overused ability did not come to mind when i thought of clones
[hr]
@pandaman1982 - well we still don't know how old Hachi is, so even though we know both were around to be childhood friends of his, we don't know when that was. we don't know if the two of them grew up together or met later in life. and yes i think we are all going to love him.

Absolutio
May 01, 2008, 04:56 PM
and yes, it is basically taijuu kage bunshin no jutsu but now that you say that, it makes it a lot less fun. Naruto is on the far back burner of my mind right now so even that overused ability did not come to mind when i thought of clones

Lol, I think that the first association to the word "clone" is Naruto nowadays. His ability is far too overused and uncreative.. :p But, when we just found out that Moria had the Kage Kage no mi we hoped that Oda will find other cool ways for the usage of shadows other than Kishi's Shikamaru's shadow powers, and he just proved his superiority over kishi in those ways, imo.. :p

JioFreed666
May 02, 2008, 02:24 AM
“Demon Monk” Urouge

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4162/8hxy4.png
Hulk smash!

For this character I didn’t expect to find much if anything in terms of a character basis from his name. I guess in terms of appearance you could claim some similarity to Andre the Giant, but you could say the same for most giant, hulking beings. Basically, this guy is mostly to show that sky islanders can and have come down to the Blue Sea to make names for themselves. Since the sky islanders have wings and were thought of as angels, Urouge continues with this idea of having a theme based in religion. In this case he follows the theme of a Buddhist monk. However, his look is less based on reality and more based on the massive brutish version with the gigantic prayer beads. He does not even use a real weapon as he basically uses his incredible strength to swing around a black pillar that is not even modified to have a handle. His crew is the Heretic Monk pirates, which given his race as being a sky islander, means he was most likely banished rather than leaving on his own accord. It is possible that he and his fellow heretics were sentenced to cloud drifting but somehow survived the fall to the Blue Sea. I think that as the weakest of those above a 100 million bounty, he will be beaten rather quickly by the real enemy but may pop up later on to aid the good guys.

If he's tall has a russian sounding name and has the Nickname Demon or Mad Monk it's pointing to Grigori Yefimovich Rasputin/Novy he was a tall man said near invincible except to one thing WATER(connecting the dots yet?) when everything else failed to kill him he died of hypothermia. Thought to be a heretic who secertly took place in satanist orgies and seduce woman even the Czar's wife. Born January 22, 1869-Thought to have Died December 26,1916-confirmed Died December 29, 1916

goldb
May 03, 2008, 03:02 PM
@ sahugani thank you for the great review....
@ everyone who has contributed with theories and ideas thank you too, there's jus too many names for me to thank you all individually.

I really liked theories about the origins of the pirates names, i hope we get more of an insight into all of them and hopefully there is someone background story to shakkey that links her to roger.

the way this arc is going...it's going to be the best by a large margin.
ODA ROCKS!!!

sahugani
May 03, 2008, 03:16 PM
@Absolutio - haha. this is all very true. i was very pleased with how Oda pulled off Moria's Kage Kage no Mi and i know that if he ever does make a DF clone ability, he'll do it far better than Kishi.

@JioFreed666 - i don't think Oda's going to go quite that dark with Urouge's character but it's not unlikely that this guy is part of the basis for the hulking Skypeian. i do like the hypothermia thing though and if it is a pert of the basis, he could be a DF user whose weakness to water will play a large part in defeating him

@goldb - it definately seems about time for us to get a new hind regarding Roger's journey and Shakkie does seem to be the perfect person to reveal such a tidbit. and yes, this arc does look like it will be the epic on a whole new scale

omniscientone
May 04, 2008, 11:14 AM
Great review as always. Well, once u mentioned Tom, I was thinking, if Shakkie quit 40 years ago and assuming rayleigh has been around for around that long, it is quite possible that as u said, he might have helped Roger the same way tom did. Maybe he coated rogers ship to cross thru mermaids island, and there might be a poneglyph there for robin to find, similar to skypiea.

Though I am curious, if rayleigh hasn't been around for the coating shop for such a long time,do the other pirates get theirs coated from somewhere else ? Hachi did mention he was the best rite ? Maybe rayleigh is selective in whose ships he coats.

Absolutio
May 06, 2008, 07:08 AM
Raylegh is an underdog coater, that's why they're looking for him in the lawless zone. There are official coaters in a specific grove zone (don't remember which exactly), but Hachi knows Rayleigh personally, so he's probably the best option.

JioFreed666
May 06, 2008, 04:05 PM
@JioFreed666 - i don't think Oda's going to go quite that dark with Urouge's character but it's not unlikely that this guy is part of the basis for the hulking Skypeian. i do like the hypothermia thing though and if it is a pert of the basis, he could be a DF user whose weakness to water will play a large part in defeating him

Trust me there are alot of dark elements in one peice and just having an immortal guy except for wounds he gets when he's wet wouldn't be that dark

sahugani
May 13, 2008, 01:41 PM
hehe. sorry it took me a while to get around to responding to these last few comments

@omniscientone - i'm not sure that Rayleigh's connection to Roger would be as simple as coating the ship. given the apparent skill of Rayleigh, i'd think that his role in the Pirate King's life would be more substantial. on a wild guess, i'd say it is possible that Rayleigh could have busted Roger out of imprisonment at the government HQ. Tom's criminal action was merely providing the ship for Roger, so anything Rayleigh did would need to be on an equal or greater scale. Garp was known for cornering Roger many times, so it wouldn't be out of the question that Rayleigh filled a role in helping his friend escape

@Absolutio - true. there is a section of the Archipelago devoted to ship coaters and docks outside of the lawless zone, so there are clearly other options. pirates like the supernovas though would attract attention from the government if they tried to coat their ships there so there must be an illegal market for bounty heads. among those, many are less than reputable and untrustworthy, so Hachi sends the Strawhats to one he knows to be highly skilled and can trust through old friendship

@JioFreed666 - i know there are dark elements in One Piece. what i meant was that Oda wouldn't base the character on him to the extent of the exact practices of his beliefs. other aspects though i wouldn't doubt such as the aspects of his death. however, we have seen very similar occurrences with the Strawhats themselves where they just refuse to die no matter what is thrown at them (especially with Zoro). i do like the thought of him surviving deadly blows of multiple types before falling though. as long as the methods of killing him are extremely varied such as poison, bullets, swords, rocks, fire, etc. no matter what type of death is given to him, he gets back up until he is frozen in fitting with the hypothermia (possible Ao Kiji return)