PDA

View Full Version : Review Pat's Naruto Review 398

patedecarne
April 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
Yo, people, is everything fine with you? Now I’m here again with my weekly Naruto’ review! That’s just my second one here, and I’m planning to write the reviews every week, mainly because now I have some free time in my life, hehe! And I really enjoy writing reviews from my favorite series!
OK then, let’s go to review:

The scanlation used is from Binktopia

Naruto 398

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/1-1.jpg
My brother says that you are a bad influence to my growth!!!

Just in the beginning we saw Tobi saying the same thing from the last chapter: Itachi just transferred Amaterasu to keep Sasuke away from Tobi; literally, if one is trying to keep a person away from someone, we can understand that this “someone” represents a threat; And Sasuke cannot understand anything is happening, and finally Tobi begins to explain. One thing that I really liked in this chapter is that now Naruto is returning to be a truly ninja plot: When Tobi said that only a few from Konoha know all the truth about Itachi, I could sense some conspiracy here, and not only that, but some kind of betrayal is also present! Usually, the ninja world has some many dark secrets, some really big things that only the most important people know, and these secrets are hide from public eyes: Conspiracy, betrayal, assassination, leaving his old life for a major duty, all of these things are from ninjas, and in this chapter, Kishimoto got perfectly this feeling, and also did a great job showing all these things; With this chapter, I believed that some good elements from early parts of Naruto had returned. And about Itachi, from what we saw in this chapter, he was truly a ninja in the perfect sense of the word, because Itachi acted like a chess player: he tried to predict Tobi’s actions and movements, and based on this, he created countermeasures to prevent Tobi from reaching Sasuke, but unfortunately, he died and now Sasuke is just in front of Tobi. Could Itachi have another aces up his sleeves? Either way, Itachi predictions were a great move by Kishimoto, that’s the way a truly ninja should follow; And now, Tobi is beginning to tell everything about Itachi to Sasuke…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/2-1.jpg
Everything I believed, was just a lie; everything I’ve done, was for nothing…

And here believe another great moment in the chapter, and one of the greatest about emotions in all of series, Sasuke’s reactions to Tobi explanation. For many years, Sasuke only saw his brother as a bastard, someone totally evil and by that, he swore to kill his brother, even if it was the last thing he would do in his life; but now, Tobi’s words are clearly affecting Sasuke. Sasuke said that all the things Tobi told were just a lie, but looking to his reactions, it’s obvious that Sasuke, in the deep of his heart, is believing is these words: Add to this all the psychological pressure Tobi is doing to Sasuke, and as result, we have a completely broken man, with so many doubts in his heart, and completely lost in his thoughts; Kishimoto again did a great job here, where we can see a former “avenger” being just a lost man; All the things Sasuke did until now was just, useless. And if is Tobi’s intention right now, he’s doing a perfect job: And the memories about Itachi being a good brother were the ultimate trigger to total desperation. All the drama in these scenes weren’t superficial, mainly with the flashbacks; And somehow, judging by the flashbacks, I believe that Sasuke, even with the revenge thing, wanted to believe that Itachi was really a good brother. And Tobi keeps to talking the truth about Itachi; Aside the fact the Itachi was a good person, he was one of the murders of the Uchiha Clan. Is ever a person like that? Being a good person and also being the murder of his own clan and parents? If we try to understand this, one reasonable option is that a person could have a double personality, but here the things are differents: Itachi hasn’t multiple personalities, but he was ordered to kill the Uchiha Clan! And now, the mystery really got into the deeps of plot: The people behind such orders were Konoha’s highest powers!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/3-1.jpg
It’s a joke, right? Or just a dream? Or Murphy’s law?

An unexpected turn of events now! All of Itachi’s actions were ordered by great politics powers in Konoha, including Sandaime himself. The very Sandaime that once gave his life in order to protect Konohagakure, and even Danzou, a person that would protect Konoha in all of the costs. And all of these events lead me to think that Uchiha clan was a menace to Konoha. I can say that I’m very happy with such twist in the story now, but with so much things happen, I’m afraid that Kishimoto could become a little confuse to explain all of this, but I hope he will manage to give a great explanation about it. When Tobi said that Itachi was a sacrifice and when he said that Itachi’s life was changed in the moment of this duty was assigned to him, I saw Konoha with others eyes: Using an own member of a clan to kill all the remaining members is such a terrible act, but if the eldest were just trying to protect Konoha, they’ll use everything to achieve their goals. At the same time such acts could be cruel, that’s the way a big organization will follow to maintain itself alive, after all, Konoha is a politic organization with shinobis, and at its eyes, shinobis are just pawns, and as I told before, the way of shinobi is being explored here greatly. What I cannot understand is why they chose Itachi, and Sasuke being the only one alive, in the future he could be a threat to Konoha, and about Tobi? Tobi had helped Itachi to murder the clan, then was Tobi assigned to kill the Uchihas as well?; And I believe that Tobi’s main goal is to use Sasuke as a tool to attack Konoha or something like that; And Sasuke seems not to be very happy with his former village, so this could be the first hint that Sasuke eventually could be the main villain in a future? Sasuke being a villain would be another great plot twist in the series, with all of Madara’s actions until now, seems he is kind of training mentally Sasuke to be an ally

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/4-1.jpg
OK, OK, I just give up, Kishimoto, today definitely isn’t my day…

But in order to understand why Itachi was a good person, and why he was assigned with such mission, Tobi said we must return to Konoha’s foundation. I’m sure Konoha has so many interesting things to be said, and returning just now is a great way to answer many of these things. But in my opinion, Kishimoto is just just giving so many unanswered questions to us, at the time when still we’re in the dark about Itachi’s past, we do know he was a pawn manipulated by Konoha, but his objectives, motivations, his way of life was still unclear; I hoped that Kishimoto could explain all these things in this chapter, but instead he just threw more questions; The plot is getting great, indeed, but I think if Kishimoto explained one thing by one, we could understand better, and the development pace could be better. At the other side, I’m very happy that we could see a little glimpse from the first Hokage, named Senju Hashirama, and not only that, but he was the only man that Madara ever respected; The way Tobi spoke about Shodaime gave me the impression that Shodaime was the greatest ninja form all the times, even more powerful than Minato or Sarutobi Sensei. And a flashback with their fight would be very appreciated now, to see these two monsters in a fight would be so great, and I believe we’ll see at least some flashbacks about it, as well with the true secret behind Konoha, and from what I can see, this fight was also a key to everything that is happen just now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/5-1.jpg
Now, sir, you’re the man, but how can wood defeat fire???

***Key Points***

Sasuke’s drama was perfect
Sandaime knew everything about Itachi since the beginning
Sasuke can be a villain in a near future
Shodaime was a monster, probably the most powerful shinobi from all the time

Summary

More revelations, more questions; Kishimoto is creating a huge new plot in the series, which is a good thing, only if the corrects pieces are placed in the right puzzle; Like I said before, I’m afraid that Kishimoto could be a little confuse here; Sasuke’s emotions and drama were simply perfect in this chapter: one time you’re the avenger, but later your world just fall into his feets, too much to a man, but still, to me, a perfect moment in the chapter; Betrayal, manipulation and conspiracy, some things I’ve missed in Naruto that return back in the chapter, great ones to ninja world; And I really expected more explanations in this chapter, but still, was a good chapter with a new line in the plot. And I just hope good explanations in the future chapters, we really need to know the truth about Itachi.
I don’t know if we’ll see a new chapter in the next week, but the hiatus in these explanation chapters isn’t a good thing!
Anyway, until next chapter, guys!

Tsukisama
April 27, 2008, 03:17 PM
A nice review as always.

I interpreted Madara's statement about Shodaime being the only man he ever admired a little differently. I believe that Madara probably admired Hashirama on a personal level, admiring his philosophy and way of life (prompting perhaps another Sasuke-Naruto parallel in terms of Hashirama being a ninja with a lot of heart that wins Madara over). I am sure he also respected him as a ninja, but to take the statement as affirmation of Shodaime being the greatest ninja of all time seems a bit much.

mestizo311
April 27, 2008, 04:20 PM
A nice review as always.

I interpreted Madara's statement about Shodaime being the only man he ever admired a little differently. I believe that Madara probably admired Hashirama on a personal level, admiring his philosophy and way of life (prompting perhaps another Sasuke-Naruto parallel in terms of Hashirama being a ninja with a lot of heart that wins Madara over). I am sure he also respected him as a ninja, but to take the statement as affirmation of Shodaime being the greatest ninja of all time seems a bit much.

This is exactly what I thought. I believe the relationship between Shodai and Madara are like that of Naruto and Sasuke. It might be a bit far to say that Shodai was stronger than Madara without considering the relationship the two had. It sounds as if Madara was close friends with the First.

As always, another fine review. Keep up the good work. I love the captions for the pics. :)

Dhazard
April 27, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/5-1.jpg
Now, sir, you’re the man, but how can wood defeat fire???

Thanks for the review :amuse
Looking at your question, you just reminded me of Yamato: while training Naruto, he explained about how he creates the 'wood element'
(Shannaro's work)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3832/006gm5.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=006gm5.jpg)
We can assume, with Yamato's explanation and this last statement of Madara (Shodai being a three-element user), that Shodai could use earth, water and a third unknown element. Seems like he was able to counter Madara's fire jutsus easily since he was a water-element user (just like his younger brother, Nidaime).
Btw, eu sei que você só estava zuando quando escreveu sobre derrotar fogo com madeira XD.

anddre
April 28, 2008, 05:55 AM
Hi Patedecarne,

Great review :) .

I think Kishi is going way back to Konoha's Foundation Era to give more weight to the following explanations:

1 - Clearly define Shodaime character - could this be used to explain some new Tsunade twist or the Shodaime gem?
2 - Show what really happened at the Valley of the End - I expect one hell of a fight - maybe Shodaime defeat...
3 - Give some time frame into perspective;
4 - Explain who the Elders are - I for instance don't know :p ;
5 - Maybe explain how and why the Root was created;
6 - Explain why the Konoha's police function was given to the Uchiha's Clan;

Based on the latest chapter info, I think we can say that Itachi was the only Uchiha's at ANBU and we didn't have many newborns Uchiha's at the time the Uchiha's massacre happened.

Side Note:

Yesterday I was reading Neji's explanation to Naruto about the Hate on the Hyuga Clan. By the end of the day, Konoha's is a political city where keepin the peace between nations is more important than individual lives. Maybe Kishi will explain why this is so important based on the massacres that used to happen before Madara and Shodaime.

Regards,
André

patedecarne
April 28, 2008, 06:58 AM
@Tsukisama, Mestizo311
Yes, in the beginning I used to think that Madara admired Hashirama as a person, and with a great honor code, but with Madara's statement in this chapter, when he said he gave up to everything just to become more powerful, losing his brother, his family, I've believed that Madara was too selfish to respect someone else by his way of life; Maybe I'm a little moralist here, but that's the reason I believe Madara only respected Hashirama by his power, but I have the feeling that we'll see a flashback to clarify these things in the next chapter!

@Dhazard

Yes, was just a little joke, but if you come to think carefully, Hashirama was a true monster as ninja: we know how powerful he was with only wood element, but if he was able to use more elements in the same way(and I'm sure he could), then there's no hope to every single person in a fight against Hashirama! By the way, in this picture, Hashirama looked like so much with Orochimaru...

@anddre
Olá, Anddre, and yes, a flashback with this fight would be more than I ever expected until now, I'm sure that we would see the greatest fight until now in the series; and like you said, there's so much to explain until now: the elders, konoha's motivations, and what happened in the beginning of Konoha's creations; And about your last statement, I believed that the Uchihas would be in the future a huge threat to Konoha, but still, to kill a entire clan, even women and children, could be that the Uchiha somehow would bring something like apocalyspe to Konoha...

anddre
April 28, 2008, 07:25 AM
Olá Patedecarne,

Even knowing that by the end of the day the plot we read is translation dependent, the Hyuga incident, the Hyuga Top Brass' brother sacrifice to keep the peace, translation I read stated that the Hyuga clan would be murdered if they became responsible for a new war.

If this translation stands true, we begin to feel how delicate is the balance of power between the nations to keep everyone comfortable and how important is the Chunin Test.

The evil thing, at least on my book, for the Uchiha's massacre is why expose Sassuke as a kind of freak, at least that was the audience idea - We are here to see the latest Uchiha fight -, during the Chunin test.

Regards,
André

Kinmagan Gil
May 03, 2008, 11:39 AM
Shodaime couldn't have been the most powerful, he was eventually defeated I'm sure... we just don't know who yet.

Akabeth
May 03, 2008, 01:36 PM
This is exactly what I thought. I believe the relationship between Shodai and Madara are like that of Naruto and Sasuke. It might be a bit far to say that Shodai was stronger than Madara without considering the relationship the two had. It sounds as if Madara was close friends with the First.

As always, another fine review. Keep up the good work. I love the captions for the pics. :)

Kakashi said Sasuke/Naruto's lives are incredibly similar to Shodai/Madara's lives.

So that has to be one part of Madara's personal relationship with Hashirama.

quick_al
May 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
i agree with almost everything that in this review, really good, my one thing i would like to add is what is madara's goal why is he breaking down sasuke like this, is he telling the whole truth or is he telling 90 perecent truth and 10 perecent lies in order to get sasuke on his side