PDA

View Full Version : Year Round The Tennis Thread- Wimbledon (23/06-06/07)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

rtyd1
May 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
Just noticed we dont have a thread for tennis so i decided to create one, i hope some people post on this unlike the snooker one.
The Rome masters has started,
Draw here http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/T...08/416/mds.pdf
Live scores here http://tennis.com/livescores/index.aspx

I'm backing Federer to win this won since Nadal is going to be tired after playing Monte Carlo and Barca back to back. For a dark horse winner id go for David Ferrer who took Nadal to 3 sets in Barca and should have taken hime to 3 in Monte Carlo
[hr]
None of my predictions have come true and Novak Djokovic and Stanislas Wawrinka (the swiss number two and as of now the world number 10) in the final which means Rome will have a first time champion.
If you have been watching Rome and know of all the retirements going on during the week then feel free to diccus the hectic ATP schedule and predict who will be the first to retire in the final, my guess in on Djokovic due to all his high profile retirements over the past two years
[hr]
No one quit in the final and Djokovic took the match 4-6 6-3 6-3 to win his tenth career title and his third this year.
Come on someone make a post so i dont have to talk to myself

SoulReaporKoul
May 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
Now you're not talking to yourself :D.

I would have thought that with PoT's popularity it would have made more people start getting into Tennis, guess I was wrong.

Anyway, I'm kinda pissed that Novak won, actually, I mean it's quite an accomplishment to win 4 ATP Masters Series (but still behind Federer by like 10 I think?) at his age, but I just don't like that guy (partly because he achieved so much with being just 1 year older than me, and partly because I paid to watch the Montreal Masters hoping to see Federer win LIVE).

I was actually hoping Nadal with win (Top 3 fav players now: 1) Federer 2) Nadal 3) Roddick, Ok, I know you're wondering how can I like BOTH Federer and Nadal? well, that's because without one, the other wouldn't be as great and the Tennis itself would suffer immensely if either of these two men vanished, wow.. that was a lot more prophetic and deep than I wanted it to be), because I both like him and I would have loved to see him win the Rome Masters 4 years in a row AND it's on clay, Nadal's playground.

I'm actually quite pissed now as I'm not quite keeping up with Tennis as I used to, mostly due to me moving to a new place that DOESN'T have cable as part of rent and so I have no TV and sport channels, so I end up just reading results, which isn't quite as fun as having Federer schooling opponents (I LOVED the US Open Finals match, I'm pretty sure he couldn't have planned it, but the way it played out with Federer continually coming back from 5 - 2 t'ill winning 6 - 7 felt like he was telling Novak, "I could have beaten you any time I wanted to, but simply chose not to").

Now that Rome is over, on to Hamburg Germany, and then FRENCH OPEN, hopefully Federer will get out of his slump this year.

rtyd1
May 23, 2008, 06:25 AM
Hamburg Masters Series draw here http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=http://www.atptennis.com/1/posting/2008/414/mds.pdf
Nalbandian, Gonzalez, Hewitt, Ferrero, Baghdatis and Haas are officially out. Roddick withdrawn as well after the draw. Nadal and Djokovic are in the same half of the draw so could play each other in the semis. There´s a potential Federer Ferrer QF an a Federer-Davydenko in the SF.
Again ill go with Federer since he has the easier draw and Djokovic will be tired after winning Rome and Nadal wont be fully fit on account of his blisters.

Theres nothing wrong with liking both Federer and Nadal, i do too. They tend to bring out the best in each other (Rome 06 and Wimbledon 07) and are humble. I would say Gasquet is my favourite player to watch since he has an incredible backhand among other things
[hr]
French Open draw is out http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ms/index.html
Djokovic - Nadal and Davydenko Federer semis like last year
Nadal Has a potential QF clash with Nalbandian
Fed has a potential QF with Wawrinka, a 3rd round vs Seppi and 4th vs Monaco

KnuckleheadedNinja
June 06, 2008, 03:35 PM
So the French Final is going to be: Nadal vs. Federar. I'm picking Federer to win his first french open.

hatsuharupeace
June 07, 2008, 07:42 AM
Hmm.. I think Nadal will beat Federer again, his form has been pretty good as of late. Beating Djokovic isn't that easy, while Federer had a tough time against Monfils.

I say Nadal beating Federer.... 6-4 7-5 4-6 6-3.

rtyd1
June 07, 2008, 08:54 AM
Federer season has been built around taking his 1st french open title but with Nadal playing him on clay its going to take his very best. My head says Nadal in four with Fed taking the first set 6-3

Djokovic played poorly in the 1st two sets and has been below par for most this tounament while Monfils played an amazing aggressive game which he is not known for in the last three sets against fed. If monfils played djokovic that day he would have had a great chance of beating him since his defence on clay is up there with Nadal and Federer's

sk.nite
June 12, 2008, 01:45 PM
Wellm since nobody has commented on this I'll do it. Federer got a giant can of whoop ass this time against Nadal. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that this was his worst defeat since he's #1. And as much as I hate Nadal (I wish he broke both arms and legs. Yeah, that much =) ) I've got to recognize he's unbeatable in clay. Djokovic showed that he's still at a different level tham those two.

Lelo
June 14, 2008, 04:11 PM
why cant Federer win on clay against Nadal, at least come close. He got killed

KnuckleheadedNinja
June 17, 2008, 01:28 AM
Nadal just won his first title on grass.

Lelo
June 21, 2008, 04:41 PM
I hate Nadal, he is such a hot shot, but he is pretty good with a racket

KnuckleheadedNinja
June 23, 2008, 01:58 AM
I'm picking Federar to win his 6th wimbeldon.

Santho
June 25, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm tired of seeing Federer win.It's so boring.Hope Nadal wins this time.After watching last year's really close final,and the way Fedex has been playing this year,there is a good chance for Rafa to show his true potent.,now that Djokovic's been knocked out(pretty surprising)

KnuckleheadedNinja
June 27, 2008, 04:46 PM
^^ i don't mind Federer win all the time, i want him to win every time. Also on the women side the No. 1 seed Ivanovic is out.

goldb
July 03, 2008, 07:46 PM
I cried when Ivanovic was knocked out, I thought she would at least get into the second week...but oh well

as for federer and nadal final, it's increasingly becoming apparent that they are gonan meet...I hope for the love of God that Federer wins but last year's final showed us that Nadal has improved exponentially on grass since he began, he pushed Federer to the end and only lost coz Federer had such a fantastic serve percentage. But this year will be different, because they are both playing so well til now, but my money's still on the Fedex to take it home

KnuckleheadedNinja
July 04, 2008, 03:06 AM
The finals are going to be:
Nadal vs Federar again(i hope Federar win, again)
S. Williams vs. V. Willians, the Williams sister are back(i hope Serena win)

goldb
July 07, 2008, 05:46 PM
NO!!!! FEDERER!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!???

no, but it was an amazing match from a neutral point of view, I still can't believe he lost though, has anybody realised that he hasn't won a grand slam nor a masters championship this year? damn it federer!!!

PS: THE WILLIAMS SISTERS ARE BACK!!!

KnuckleheadedNinja
July 08, 2008, 01:03 AM
^^Yeah, Nadal vs. Federer was one for the ages. But i still can't believe he lost either. I thought he was going to win.

Ghetto_Kid
July 24, 2008, 02:48 PM
i was really disappointed to see the fed-express loose but, i was still kinda happy to rafa win because he deserved it...... moving on, i have no idea of what is happening to federer lately he just lost to gil simon that french twat, i don't think cum the end of the season he will remain as number 1, i think since loosing to djokovic in australia really messed him up, aalthough even afterwards he didnt play that bad against nadal in the clay finals, but i reckon he's lost faith in himself.

Gecko Moria
January 14, 2009, 04:49 AM
out with the old and in with the new would be appropriate here. federer seems to be getting worse and worse hes not even making it into the finals now...

blai
June 01, 2009, 07:48 AM
F*cking wicked game last night. Soderling played awesome! Though I'm afraid he've already used his A-game and will have a rough time vs Davydenko who played calm and steady last night vs Verdasco (even though idk wth Verdasco was doing the 2 first sets)

Hope it'll be a game worth remembering tomorrow! Awesome, aaand i have the day off as well.. great!

goldb
June 01, 2009, 08:01 AM
Federer was 2 sets down against Tommy Haas but he's making a comeback 2-1 and 4-0 up in the 4th!! Now that Nadal is out of the tournament, the title is his for the taking, to finally have all the slams. But it's gonna be tough though....

Safina looks to be powering her way through the women's draw...she's the juggernaught; I've never seen so many 6-0s in the opening week by a single player...she's awesome

digitaldude
June 01, 2009, 08:27 AM
Damn, how could the king of clay lose, we all have a bad day, but getting beaten in round 4 must really hurt, I guess he won't break the ronald garros record this year, as for federer I don't like him much, but I think he might win it and get his first roland garros title.

blai
June 01, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hm federer played a good game today, not anything spectacular but the nerves to stay focused with 0-2 set and 4-4 gems with a breakchance for Haas, win that ball, come back, win the set with 6-4 and then play 6-0 6-2 was not bad. Yes maybe Haas is getting old (31, oldest in the tournament) and don't have the physics to play top for 5sets but still, good allround game, going to be interesting to see how it goes in the next round.

Atobe the king
June 10, 2009, 08:13 PM
This is something i have ALWAYS been curious about

1-Roger Federer
2-Novak Djokovic
3-Andy Roddick
4-Andy Murray
5-Ernests Gulbis
6-Marat Safin
7-Richard Gasquet
8-Lleyton Hewwit
9-Gael Monfils
10-Kei Nishikori

Honorable mentions
Tsonga
Simon
Tipseravic
Nadal
Feliciano Lopez
Querrey
Verdasco
Nalbandian
Blake

EDIT- after all the discussion about pro players instead of favorites i changed the thread to just a general tennis discussion thread

Sai, if you see this let me know if it's appropriate or not.

This thread is more appropriate in the Sports section in General Entertainment. The thread has thus been moved there, but I have left a permanent redirect to the new location so that you can still find it easily

Fayte
June 10, 2009, 10:55 PM
Ivan Lendl
Andre Agassi
Pete Sampras
Roger Federer
Jim Courier
Lleyton Hewitt
Kei Nishikori
John McEnroe
Novak Djokovic

Dansan1
June 10, 2009, 11:24 PM
Woah, long lists....

Pete Sampras
John McEnroe (tennis only! his on court behavior was deplorable and should not be glorified)
Love watching Fed and his history making career.

Honorable mentions...

Boris Becker
Rafter
Nishikori
Safin
Murray is growing on me

And I root for Roddick cause my aunt loves him.

Notice my game preference?

Atobe the king
June 10, 2009, 11:30 PM
Well i only meant current players..but

Agassi
McEnroe
Borg (that guy is so damn awesome)
Becker (the most unique service motion ever)
Sampras (of course)

Dansan1
June 10, 2009, 11:34 PM
Oh okay.

Modern guys

Fed
Safin
Tsonga (at his rare 100% he is invincible. the only person who could take him is 2004 Fed playing perfect and even then it'd be a coin flip Atobe-Ryoma tiebreak)
Nishikori
Roddick
Monfils
Santoro (HOW does he move on court the way he does at his age?!?! He is actually probably the best court mover period, he doesn't have the ability to take advantage of it, but it's just insane)

Shot mentions!

Hewitt's lob -sick
Gasquet's backhand - Perfect
Safin's Jumping Backhand-scary

Forever_Melody
June 10, 2009, 11:34 PM
Well if we include all time...

I love McEnroe's presence on the court. He's hilarious to watch :D

Borg was also really awesome especially what he brought to the world of tennis when he arrived.

Sampras I don't believe I have to explain.

Agassi is also a real crowd pleaser so I like him ^_^

Federer has always been a favorite of mine as well from his play style to his seemingly effortless stamina.

Gasquet really impressed me that one year at Wimbledon where he beat Roddick. That was probably the nicest game I've seen from him and I was really impressed. He holds much potential IMO and I do like his backhand.

Henin I like because she's one of those rare modern 1 handed backhanders that did well.

I like Jancovic's style as well.

Oh and Ivanovic has a really mean game from when I saw her that one year at the US Open.

Atobe the king
June 10, 2009, 11:40 PM
Federer has always been a favorite of mine as well from his play style to his seemingly effortless stamina.

So true..a lot of Federer's detractors say he beat a tired Murray in the 08 USO..which is funny because old man Fed appears to be fitter than the entire tour..you never see sweat on his face lol

I love McEnroe's presence on the court. He's hilarious to watch

The best part was that he played better after the outburst

Tsonga (at his rare 100% he is invincible. the only person who could take him is 2004 Fed playing perfect and even then it'd be a coin flip Atobe-Ryoma tiebreak)

I don't think so..even an on fire Tsonga got taken out by Nole..

Federer loves overpowering opponents like Tsonga, look at his H2H with people like Soderling, Blake, Berdych and Del Potro..he can neutralize their fire power

And i'd say federer peak year was 2006..i think he was 95-5 losing only to Murray and Nadal...that is just SICK

Dansan1
June 10, 2009, 11:44 PM
No, Tsonga choked. That was not the rare 100% Tsonga. It was his first final, and he choked badly.

Tsonga v Nadal. I have never seen anyone play better than Tsonga did in that match.

He doesn't just have power, he's not a Blake.

Tsonga has finesse like I can't believe when watching it.

He's a Blake mixed with a McEnroe.

He's huge, yet you don't realise it because of how soft he moves on the court.

Though you're right, 06 was probably Fed's best year.

Atobe the king
June 10, 2009, 11:46 PM
Too true..he's got touch and speed..but that AO 08 form probably isn't going to come back..he did pretty good at the french though considering clay is his weakest surface..but he lost at halle and i really thought the grass would suit him.

Dansan1
June 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oh he's out already? I didn't even see. Sucks. I thought he'd do good too.

I think Tsonga, like many was ruined by his injuries, this was only his first or second French. His body didn't hold up.

Who knows what Guga could have been.

Go Murray and Mahut!

Atobe the king
June 10, 2009, 11:50 PM
Well Halle is fast grass..Wimbledon is slow grass we shall see

As for Federer..completed career slam, 14 slams, did in half the time that Sampras did, lovely wife, kid on the way...sounds like Nanjiroh

I think he will be in Teni Muho for a good chunk of his career..he says the pressure is off and he can finally play freely

Forever_Melody
June 10, 2009, 11:53 PM
So true..a lot of Federer's detractors say he beat a tired Murray in the 08 USO..which is funny because old man Fed appears to be fitter than the entire tour..you never see sweat on his face lol

That's probably his biggest asset. Honestly, people have better shots and strokes than him IMO, but it's the fact that he can maintain his game over extended periods of time that makes him go on top.

The best part was that he played better after the outburst
I know it's awesome :tem

Dansan1
June 10, 2009, 11:55 PM
I would love to see that happen. He's tightened up and you can tell, his shots used to be the best from just a shot perspective. Now they're great, but not the best. He's a little more timid yet he STILL is getting to all the finals and semis! His ability is unbelievable. He looks just as fresh after 5 hours as after 10 minutes. Has he lost before the semis of anything this year?

It's so funny how people have been calling his tennis mediocre and unimpressive in 08.

1 semi, 2 Finals, and 1 Win in the grandslams is mediocre.

Just shows what Fed is and what he has made.

Atobe the king
June 11, 2009, 12:03 AM
His earliest exit was Monte Carlo, but he wasn't even going to play, he went there as a wild card after his wedding to Mirka

Honestly, people have better shots and strokes than him IMO,

I kind of disagree, the serve is great, BH is solid against anyone not named Nadal or Murray..but his FH was conisdered the best FH in tennis history by a number of old pros and current pros

And his dropshot...is just sublime especially as of late

Maybe i should change the thread to Real life tennis discussion? lol

1 semi, 2 Finals, and 1 Win in the grandslams is mediocre.

He set the bar so high that results like that aren't good enough for him....i think he went 3 years winning 3 slams...if not for nadal he would have won 3 calender slams

Dansan1
June 11, 2009, 12:06 AM
At his forehand's peak I think it was the best ever. Not right now though.

Backhand was not quite as technically beautiful and proficient as Gasquet, but Fed could sill do things with his backhand that Gasquet could never.

Fed's backhand pass down the line (like he used to save one of those match points at Wimbledon last year) is surgeon like.

His serve placement is what is so scary. He obviously isn't a Ivo or Goran or Sampras. But his precision makes him look like a Sampras. And he and Sampras shared that magic ability (it's lessened recently, but it's coming back) to serve aces/winners when they need it most. Down 0-40? No problem. Serve it to Deuce.

Atobe the king
June 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
His FH is still on fire..it's not that it lost it's beauty but it's consistancy..he has these lapses where the FH is just gone..

But he's a whole other animal at slams, he's won enough masters but at slams he gives it his all

Nadal got owned by Soderling and Fed came out blazing so that Soderling couldn't even find the form he used to take out Nadal..

Dansan1
June 11, 2009, 12:19 AM
Not to turn this into praise Fed hour.

But his slam record over the last 6 years is ridiculous. It boggles the mind.

Do you realize that over the last 5 years he only won ONE less match than Nadal at Roland Garros?

Atobe the king
June 11, 2009, 12:24 AM
Didn't even realize that..also he took half to time to get his 14 than Sampras who took almost 12 years..

also it's hard to discuss tennis post FO and NOT praise Fed

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 11:22 AM
Nadal was almost injured in last Roland Garros, you should know.
I really admire Roger Federer, and I think it's maybe the best tennis player of history. But you shoud look at his stadistics against Rafa.It's amazing: 12-7 or something like that. Nadal will get the Grand Slam for sure really very soon (maybe this year?), and until that day you won´t take into account how big he is. He is still young, and improves every years :
-3 years ago he sucked in grass and hard court, and he is the actual champion of the last two Grand Slams in that courts
-His serve improves a lot: it isn´t fast, but it´s really very accurate and with several effects. Obviously he will never be a server as good as Roger or Roddick, but he improves it every year.
- the number of winner grows every year. Being a rocket launcher like Del Potro or Verdasco, or being a volley expert aren´t his targets, but he is still improving it

So, in conclusion: the number one of the world is always understimated.
Alonso finished Schumacher, Nadal will do the same with Federer. Obviuosly, Federer won´t retire so soon, and he will be many years first in TOP 5 and then in TOP 10, but getting number 1 again will be very difficult

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
Nadal didn't complain about injury until after Soderling blasted him off the court.

His injury is his fault, he needs to manage is schedule better, he played too many tournaments and his knee got so bad that he couldn't defend his queens club title and wimbledon is in doubt.

He wasn't bad at grass, he was second only to Federer, but he has improved his HC game.

Nothing is for sure in tennis. Fast HC does not suit Nadal, there are quite a few players who can take him out at the USO, Fed, Djoko , DP, Murray to name a few.

Nadal isn't big at all, put him next to a football player and he's tiny.

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 11:58 AM
Nadal didn't complain about injury until after Soderling blasted him off the court.

His injury is his fault, he needs to manage is schedule better, he played too many tournaments and his knee got so bad that he couldn't defend his queens club title and wimbledon is in doubt.

He wasn't bad at grass, he was second only to Federer, but he has improved his HC game.

Nothing is for sure in tennis. Fast HC does not suit Nadal, there are quite a few players who can take him out at the USO, Fed, Djoko , DP, Murray to name a few.

Nadal isn't big at all, put him next to a football player and he's tiny.

The problem for them is that Rafa has won against them always lately in a 5 set match, and bad for their morale. The only one who can destroy Rafa is Federer because he knows that he is, in fact, better than Rafa in tennis habilities. The problem is to stand against Rafa's stamina (and he isn´t only stamina, otherwise Monfils will be the best player of the world).
The last one of the Big 4 who defeated Rafa in a 5 set match was Murray, and Nadal was half-injured (it was his last match last year, then he didn´t play even Davis Cup Final VS Argentina)

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 12:07 PM
The problem for them is that Rafa has won against them always lately in a 5 set match, and bad for their morale. The only one who can destroy Rafa is Federer because he knows that he is, in fact, better than Rafa in tennis habilities. The problem is to stand against Rafa's stamina (and he isn´t only stamina, otherwise Monfils will be the best player of the world).
The last one of the Big 4 who defeat Rafa in a 5 set match was Murray, and Nadal was half-injured (it was their last match last year, then he didn´t play even Davis Cup Final VS Argentina)

I thought your were going to flame lol..lets try to continue being civil okay dude :amuse

Anway, Fed isn't comepletely better, he just has more weapons.

I think Fed has better stamina too, Rafa tends to burn out come indoor hard court season and at the end of a five setter Federer tends to still look fresh, he barely sweats.

Monfils problem isn't stamina it's a combination of him showboating and not using his weapons.

Lastly, Rafa wasn't injured at the USO he was tired.

It's understandable..the dude was on FUCKING FIRE...

FO>Queens Club>Wimbledon>Olympics>Toronto Masters>Cincinati Semis...he was undefeated for like 32 matches..

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
I thought your were going to flame lol..lets try to continue being civil okay dude :amuse

Anway, Fed isn't comepletely better, he just has more weapons.

I think Fed has better stamina too, Rafa tends to burn out come indoor hard court season and at the end of a five setter Federer tends to still look fresh, he barely sweats.

Monfils problem isn't stamina it's a combination of him showboating and not using his weapons.

Lastly, Rafa wasn't injured at the USO he was tired.

It's understandable..the dude was on FUCKING FIRE...

FO>Queens Club>Wimbledon>Olympics>Toronto Masters>Cincinati Semis...he was undefeated for like 32 matches..

In Spain we think that the gold medal in the Olympics was good for Spain but very bad for Rafa. It destroyed two possible holidays weeks with a trip to a very far country, playing 5 set matches...and I don´t know if he even played doubles in Olympics too.The consecuences was, as you said, that Nadal was very tired in the end of the season (SF in Cincinatti and QF in USA, no?). I hope we'' ll see a good fight Roger-Rafa this summer and autumn, after Wimbledon Roger was a bit depressed, I think, and in the end Rafa was physically destroyed, as you've said perfectly

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
Actually Rafa made the SEMI'S of the US, and yea he played doubles, but he was taken out early..the Olympics helped Federer...the gold medal inspired him.

I'm also hoping for Federer VS Nadal Wimbledon part IV lol

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 12:42 PM
Actually Rafa made the SEMI'S of the US, and yea he played doubles, but he was taken out early..the Olympics helped Federer...the gold medal inspired him.

I'm also hoping for Federer VS Nadal Wimbledon part IV lol
Who do you think will be the winner? The last final was the best match in a final that I remember

Atobe the king
June 21, 2009, 03:35 PM
Well Federer is in Zen mode or he should be..he got the monkey off his back, he has nothing to really worry about..he'll be playing free whether this is good or bad who knows?

Nadal...i don't know if he'll make it..the loss at the french will make players think they can beat him and he's not at 100% and he missed queens to warm up at.
[hr]
Nadal out of wimbledon with an injury.

Fed and Murray are the favorites here...

Gecko Moria
June 24, 2009, 05:30 PM
I saw on the news last night that there had been heaps of players slipping up (literally) on the new Wimbledon Courts. Is that how Rafa got injured? I hope Federer wins, I like his playing style (and someone needs to beat Peter Sampras' record).

Black Lagoon
July 02, 2009, 05:29 AM
Federer will take back again his crown

goldb
July 02, 2009, 05:54 AM
I'd like him to...over here the Murray hype is high!!! they're predicting Murray vs Federer final, but I think english are overhyping Murray, they need to let him play his game without getting all excited, but he'll most probably make the final but Andy Roddick will be tougher than Ferrero was. I was quite disappointed that Ferrero didn't at least take a set off Murray but oh well...Women's semis today!!! 2 Russians, 2 Americans, 2 Sisters...2 places foe the final, who will make it??

digitaldude
July 02, 2009, 10:05 AM
Serena Williams has just won and is going to the final.

goldb
July 03, 2009, 06:09 AM
yeah I saw, epic match versus Dementieva; there was nothing between the two players...coulda really gone either way. I'm going for Venus in the final though, if Serena plays like she did yesterday against her, she'll get severly punished imo...

digitaldude
July 03, 2009, 11:54 AM
Federer is going to the final and Roddick leads Murray 2 sets to 1.

blai
July 03, 2009, 12:44 PM
Roddick in the final vs Federer...

What a game vs Murray.... what a game!

S.S
July 04, 2009, 02:25 PM
Federer takes it this year.

Atobe the king
July 05, 2009, 01:00 PM
Lol yea people are slipping on the new grass.

Thats not how Rafa got injured. Poor management of his schedule coupled with his grinder style took it's toll on his knees and he had to withdraw.

I'd also like Federer to win.
[hr]
FED HAS HIS 6th WIMBLEDON AND 15th GRAND SLAM

Gecko Moria
July 05, 2009, 09:32 PM
OMG I stayed up till 5:30am watching the Wimbledon tennis but I'm glad I did: Tennis World Record made by Federer! I feel kinda sorry for Andy Roddick though. There were tons of places where he looked like he was going to win and in the end he got runner-up again. But, on the bright side, he's improved a lot and he's the only person (besides Rafa) to get Federer on to the last set.

Atobe the king
July 05, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yea Roddick played out of his skin till the very end..but im happy for fed...he straight up destroyed record today

blai
July 07, 2009, 05:51 AM
I MISSED the whole game. Got stuck in traffic b/c of a thunder that fell like tons of trees on the street so i sat in traffic for 3hours.... turned off the radio and listened to some cd's so that i wouldn't hear the outcome of the game cuz i wanted to watch it later on when i got home (recorded it luckily.)
The first thing i hear when i get home -
"WHAT A GAME, SAD RODDICK DIDN'T WIN.. YOU HEARD ALL ABOUT IT ON THE RADIO??"

I wanted to punch him >.>

goldb
July 08, 2009, 04:38 AM
Awww it was a great game, shame you missed it...
There wasn't much between both players all through the 3hours+, the only thing is Federer just got stuck in there even though he hadn't broken Roddick til the very last game of the match.

It was great to have seen him win, but it's a shame Roddick lost cos he definetly played his part in that match, t'was an amazing performance, one of his best ever.

blai
July 08, 2009, 05:33 AM
Aww, you think it's worth watching it now even though I know the outcome? I mean, if it was that good with some great battles between them...

goldb
July 08, 2009, 09:15 AM
well you could watch the highlight so you get a gist of what happened but it's too long and wasn't as entertaining...

blai
July 08, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'll browse youtube for it then!

Hope Soderling will do better next time tournament :( Early draft vs federer ;/ Shudda be playing him in semis imo. He would've beaten Haas.

goldb
July 08, 2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah I think with him now, the match is won and lost on a psychological level before they even get on the court. You can just tell by watching certain players that they're not as concentrated as the other player.

But Federer is taking some time off now, I think winning the French and Wimbledon back to back has taken a lot outta him, so I'm guessing he'll only play about 2-3 tournaments before US Open; if that...

Black Lagoon
July 09, 2009, 07:12 AM
with Nadal out of the pitch, Federrer can win every game

goldb
July 09, 2009, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I hope he recovers properly and that this injury doesn't become a recurence; the game needs someone like him.

Black Lagoon
July 09, 2009, 07:27 AM
it's not the first time he have knee problems, i hope it will stop

blai
July 09, 2009, 07:54 AM
I hope roddick plays against nadal and shoot a serve in nadal's face... ;< I don't like him. Prefer feddy

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 09, 2009, 08:23 AM
Nadal is a good role model as a person

goldb
July 09, 2009, 08:24 AM
Really? I like Nadal cos he's very different to Federer; it reminds me a bit of the difference between Neji and Lee; one is a born genius and the other is a hardworking genius. Nadal isn't as gracious on the court as Federer but through sheer hard work he's become an awesome player.

there was an article on the difference between Nadal and Federer's game that better explains what I'm trying to say. When I find it, I'll post he link :)

Weapon_X
July 09, 2009, 09:47 AM
Who says Nadal isn't good? He is excellent. Obviously I think Federer owns anyone in Tennis, Federer plays so swiftly and flawlessly. One thing I like about him is that he doesn't loose his temper unlike many others do.

Anyway what a shame Blai, Roddick and Federer match was good but it wasn't good as the final last year. In this final they "served" their way out of the game, meaning they won the sets and games through mostly serves.

Roddick is excellent at his serves, he gave Federer a hard time. But same with Federer, in my opinion Federer serves better then Roddick because he puts more spin and magic into his serves unlike Roddick's which is pure strength.

Federer wasn't tired compared to the last year's final. That final was jaw dropping I tell ya, I wanted Federer to win so much, he was so close but Nadal won it through not giving up. I liked it when Nadal was jumping of the roof when he won it. :lmao

goldb
July 09, 2009, 09:59 AM
That was probably the best tennis match I had ever seen. It lasted so long, I remember cos it was during the preparation for my sister's wedding; everyone stopped what they were doing to watch the match...I was happy that Nadal had finally won Wimbledon but it was sad seeing him taking it away from Federer as it had become his home.

blai
July 09, 2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah that game was truly one of the best games I've ever seen!
I can also remember the men's double in the olympics that lasted for like 5hours or something. Think it was the finals and Sweden played... anywho it was the best game I've ever seen, sat with some friends and we were dying, screaming on every ball from like the ninth gem in the last set and it ended after like 20gems so we kinda died. :wtf

Weapon_X
July 09, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah same down here in the UK. Me and my mates couldn't gasping everytime it became a tie last year because it was so close. Everyone was like ARGH! come on someone make a mistake LOL I had a bet placed with one of my friends between Nadal and Federer, I obviously chose Federer and I lost *weep weep*. It was £40 I lost.

And just to piss me off (in a good way) he bought himself tennis rackets :lmao

digitaldude
July 11, 2009, 02:25 PM
Did anyone watch the Davis cup doubles matches today?

Also results.

Croatia 2-1 USA. I think Croatia is going to take this one.

Czech republic 2-1 Argentina. I don`t know about this one, but I think Argentina will come back and win it.

Spain 2-1 Germany. Spain will win no problem.

Israel 3-0 Russia. Israel is through to the semi-final.

Atobe the king
July 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
I never really follow davis cup..i do know Latvia is up..which is good because one of the wins was from Gulbis

Gecko Moria
July 13, 2009, 03:24 AM
I'm thinking of purchasing a new tennis racquet, my current one is like 7 years old. I'm considering buying a certain "Prince" racquet (quite economical and efficient) but any other ideas on a specific tennis racquet (not just the brand)?

blai
July 13, 2009, 05:36 AM
I don't like Prince... I'm using (and have always used) Head. It's pretty economical too I think, not too expensive in Sweden but on the contrary they are really good, you CAN throw them in the net or on the ground when you get pissed off because someone shot an IMPOSSIBLE slice from the base line... oh nvm... I'm using Head Mg.Carbon 900.... It's a couple of years old, like two or three but I think it's still available out there and for around 85$ I think... I got something like that when I googled the racquet...

It's a pretty long racquet, pretty light too.. It's not as wide as all other racquets but the height is great for smashing and serving... It's also good when you're getting out-played, i.e. x person is pumping against your base-line both left and right and you're running between because it's easier to reach them with that racquet..

What prince racquet did you think of buying?

L0ki
July 14, 2009, 02:19 AM
All hail king Roger!

Gecko Moria
July 14, 2009, 03:23 AM
I don't like Prince... I'm using (and have always used) Head. It's pretty economical too I think, not too expensive in Sweden but on the contrary they are really good, you CAN throw them in the net or on the ground when you get pissed off because someone shot an IMPOSSIBLE slice from the base line... oh nvm... I'm using Head Mg.Carbon 900.... It's a couple of years old, like two or three but I think it's still available out there and for around 85$ I think... I got something like that when I googled the racquet...

It's a pretty long racquet, pretty light too.. It's not as wide as all other racquets but the height is great for smashing and serving... It's also good when you're getting out-played, i.e. x person is pumping against your base-line both left and right and you're running between because it's easier to reach them with that racquet..

What prince racquet did you think of buying?

Sounds like a pretty fine racquet. With the current funding I have I was thinking of buying a "Prince Shark OS MP" (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=256&ProductId=1054). It's under $100 and it's quite a racquet (one of my friends have one). If I manage to get some money I might go for Prince O3 Hybrid Lite OS (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=272&ProductId=1714). It's lightweight but powerful at the same time. I dislike heavy racquets because I find it hard to swing through with them (and also it's more tiring to hold).

All hail king Roger!

Indeed. Roger Federer back in the Number 1 spot according to the world rankings. He is also being hailed as the greatest tennis player ever and I totally agree.

Atobe the king
July 14, 2009, 08:53 PM
GOAT? nah..he can't be the greatest because you can't compare eras?

GOAT in his generation? definitely.

blai
July 15, 2009, 05:50 AM
Sounds like a pretty fine racquet. With the current funding I have I was thinking of buying a "Prince Shark OS MP" (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=256&ProductId=1054). It's under $100 and it's quite a racquet (one of my friends have one). If I manage to get some money I might go for Prince O3 Hybrid Lite OS (http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/product.aspx?cid=272&ProductId=1714). It's lightweight but powerful at the same time. I dislike heavy racquets because I find it hard to swing through with them (and also it's more tiring to hold).

Looks good! Have you tried your friends racquet or have you only heard about his experiences and thoughts about the racquet?
I don't like too lightweight racquets, they tend to be too easy and if it's a tad bit heavy because when I swing I don't only use my arm and breast-muscles for the force, but I use them for the aiming and I use my whole body and thrusts myself over the ball for max power with the arm first basically, which results in a heavy aggressive play and forces the one I'm playing with to stand far behind their baseline but the biggest weakness is that It can be outplayed by going for a net-ball, alternative backhand crosses when I'm up on net etc... ;/
Tho it really mustn't be a heavy racquet because playing long-games and especially long games on your own serve is really tiring.. Of course it depends on your technique too and if you're spinning serves or going for speed and whatnot... >.>

But both looks like cool racquets but I'd go for the 2nd one, if I got to choose between those two :occa

Atobe the king
July 15, 2009, 08:12 PM
Gasquet has been cleared and can now play again ^_^

Gecko Moria
July 16, 2009, 04:15 AM
Looks good! Have you tried your friends racquet or have you only heard about his experiences and thoughts about the racquet?
I don't like too lightweight racquets, they tend to be too easy and if it's a tad bit heavy because when I swing I don't only use my arm and breast-muscles for the force, but I use them for the aiming and I use my whole body and thrusts myself over the ball for max power with the arm first basically, which results in a heavy aggressive play and forces the one I'm playing with to stand far behind their baseline but the biggest weakness is that It can be outplayed by going for a net-ball, alternative backhand crosses when I'm up on net etc... ;/
Tho it really mustn't be a heavy racquet because playing long-games and especially long games on your own serve is really tiring.. Of course it depends on your technique too and if you're spinning serves or going for speed and whatnot... >.>

But both looks like cool racquets but I'd go for the 2nd one, if I got to choose between those two :occa

I've actually experimented with my friend's Prince Shark and I found it to be an excellent racquet. I can see where you're coming from with not liking racquets that are too lightweight. It's true that you can't get as much momentum in your shots with a lightweight racquet, but I find I can swing more freely when I play with one. It's also easier to change grip, slice and apply spin IMO. I like the second racquet too, it's nearly double the price though (looks like I need to save up!) :darn

L0ki
July 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
Gasquet has been cleared and can now play again ^_^

Cleared of what? Doping or something like that?

Atobe the king
July 16, 2009, 01:09 PM
Cleared of what? Doping or something like that?

They found traces of cocaine in his system

blai
July 17, 2009, 06:09 AM
I've actually experimented with my friend's Prince Shark and I found it to be an excellent racquet. I can see where you're coming from with not liking racquets that are too lightweight. It's true that you can't get as much momentum in your shots with a lightweight racquet, but I find I can swing more freely when I play with one. It's also easier to change grip, slice and apply spin IMO. I like the second racquet too, it's nearly double the price though (looks like I need to save up!) :darn
Oh, I have never tried a Prince racquet so I can't give you my opinions on them but take the one you're most comfortable with \o/
Uhh.. like p=mv so the higher mass (heavier weight) the more energy you'll get. When you then hit the ball (depending on like impact time) you will get a higher speed on the ball then with a lighter racquet... If you're shooting with the same speed on your racquet as with the heavier one that is.
But yeah, less weight means it's more flexible compared to the heavier one. You might also get more control. It also varies on the muscle-mass of your arm. More muscles means you can use heavier racquets with the same precisivity as someone who's not as strong and using a lighter one.
Personally I like them mid. Not light ones since that makes it hard to control tbh and not heavy ones because the lack of controlling.
It's all a matter of how you want to play the game basically.

Saving money sucks >.>

Hope you get the racquet you like ^_^

Black Lagoon
July 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
They found traces of cocaine in his system
:facepalm
then doping entered the world of tennis as well

blai
July 18, 2009, 07:12 AM

I'm just waiting for the first snooker player to be doped..... any day now

Atobe the king
July 18, 2009, 09:03 AM

Nah..according to his story he was making out with a girl at a night club and she had cocaine in his system, the ATP bought this because the amount of cocaine in his system was equivalent to a grain of salt.

benelori
October 22, 2009, 05:34 AM
Nice thread...I played some tennis back in the good ol' days...competitions and everything...I'm sorry though I'm not really watching, just some of the granf slams...but I saw davidenko woops some ass the other day...nice to have a russian back in business...kafelnikov was the best though

thornofcarrion
December 01, 2009, 04:18 AM
Davydenko won the Master Cup, too bad I couldn't see a single match. bad for Nadal, he couldn't pass the round robin stage. No idea what will happen to him in Year 2010.

Gecko Moria
December 01, 2009, 04:33 AM
Davydenko won the Master Cup, too bad I couldn't see a single match. bad for Nadal, he couldn't pass the round robin stage. No idea what will happen to him in Year 2010.

Luckily, I was able to watch several of the matches. Notably, Del Potro vs. Federer, two of my favorite players at the moment. I wonder if Davydenko will move up the rankings from this win? As for Nadal, he needs to ensure a victory at the first Grand Slam of 2010 (Australian Open, which he won last year) to maintain his 2nd seed position and to even have a chance of returning to the number one spot. He is a good player and even though people are starting to say he has reached the end of the line, I still hope that he will be able to make a return to winning.

thornofcarrion
December 01, 2009, 04:38 AM
Agreed, Nadal is not finished yet. Rather I think he has some good tennis left for couple of years. He has shown resiliency, willpower and talent. He plays decent on all surfaces, well he won Grand Slam on Grass, Clay and Hard, so yes he can be a winner on all surfaces. He has some fitness issues problems for almost half of the season. By the way, almost in all previous years he wasn't at his best at the end of season. I think its because his style of play is just too physical. I have played tennis and I can just imagine putting that monstrous spin is amazing and hard on the body.

Black Lagoon
December 01, 2009, 10:10 AM
Nadal is far away to be finished

goldb
December 04, 2009, 07:36 AM
He just hasn't recovered properly from his injury, when he works out all the kinks to his game, he'll be back making everyone run around the court.

thornofcarrion
December 04, 2009, 01:52 PM
Totally agreed, his game style is physical. If he is not 100% physically, then his game suffers overall.

Black Lagoon
December 06, 2009, 03:49 PM
Today or Yesterday (I forgot :p) he participated in the victory of spain in the Davis Cup

Atobe the king
December 06, 2009, 07:07 PM
My thoughts...

HC isn't nadals best surface..but he's been getting his ass kicked since his returned..and Del Potro has got the guys number. But some of his losses were fucking pathetic. Djokovic looked like he wanted to go home during his RR match with Nadal and Nadal still lost...badly by his standard.

Nadal has fully recovered from his injury, the only thing weakened is his ego...he needs confidence.

He did okay in davis cup (Berdych on clay isn't exactly a tough opponent) but the two wins should give him confidence.

The most important part about being a number 1 player is the aura..it makes players afraid of you...Nadal was downright SCARY before federer bested him in madrid. Soderling destroyed that aura and it doesn't seem to be coming back for now.

Nadal can't afford to be so physical anymore...his injury was his body paying it's dues..the guy is 23 years old with 30 year old knees`

Gecko Moria
January 18, 2010, 12:58 AM
Australian Open started today! Most amusing part so far was probably the exhibition match to raise money for victims of the Haitian earthquake. Read more about it here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/australianopen/7010073/Haiti-earthquake-Roger-Federer-and-top-players-raise-114000-for-victims.html).

thornofcarrion
January 18, 2010, 03:22 AM
I just thought to post here today and there I saw your post Gecko, haha. Thanks for the link. Biggest news so far, Sharapova is out and whats with Serena's new shoes. May be I think like an old timer, but I totally disapprove and dislike those so called fashion attempts in Tennis. Martina Hignis wore the long sleeves, the sleeveless shirts players wear now a days, long bermudas, etc. In nutshell, they look more entertainers than Tennis players. Sampras was an exemplary sportsman, in my humble opinion.

goldb
January 18, 2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, they need to stop trying to take the attention away from the tennis and bringing it into the fashion and having people wonder every tournament what is Serena Williams gonna wear today?

Atobe the king
January 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
Thats never going to happen.

Don't blame serena or any other player.

Tennis like everything else in this world is a business. They are sponsored by these companies and they wear what they make them wear, they have no say in it.

Thorn i don't know why you brought up sampras' sportsmanship when that has nothing to do with how he dressed. He wore what nike made him wear just like Federer and the others.

I personally like the "fashion" aspect it really adds to rivalries (Nadals sleeveless and capris contrasted with Feds fitted polo and normal shorts) and sets individuals a part. Lets take wimbledon for example...if everyone is wearing white with out any modifications how can you even tell players apart? I like their trademarks....

I don't know any serious tennis fan who focuses on the outfits. I just like that when federers playing and the camera is panned out i can tell its fed based off of the style of clothing.

That said that first round match with Andreev gave me the chills glad he pulled through, Djoker and Murray are looking good..sad to see Soderling and Gasquet out though..

thornofcarrion
January 19, 2010, 12:33 PM
I didn't use Sportsman as in sportsmanship. He is, to me off course, an exemplary sportsman because he was simple and he was class act, a superb tennis player. As for, clothing and sponsorship, yes players do have a say. You don't see Federer wearing pirates pants and sleeveless tops, though both are sponsored by Nike. Actually, I know it for sure as my father had been involved in Tennis Federation for sometime.

Secondly, I don't completely agree with clothes are needed to differentiate among players. I, and I am sure anyone who follows Tennis round the year, can easily tell just by looking at players stance or his playing style. Clothing does tell what kind of personality the players have. A good example is Andre vs. Sampras. Andre always coming with new fashion statement, whereas Sampras used to be quite simple all the time. The contrast between them, as in the case with Nadal vs. Federer does add to the rivalry and in a way to the sports as well.

Like I said before its just personal preference. I for sure don't appreciate fashion in Tennis much. At least not what Serena is wearing, or something that Hrbaty wear few years back http://www.rediff.com/sports/2005/sep/05usopen4.htm. I am not disrespecting your opinion or them as a player. May be I don't like how Nadal is dressed up but it does not mean I don't like him as a player. TBH, he is my favorite at the moment along with Djoker (haha). yes

Atobe the king
January 19, 2010, 01:09 PM
Its cool, but is still think they don't really have a choice...like how Federer has to put on his rolex at the end of a tourney or something because Rolex sponsors him and he HAS put it on.

As for the way fed dresses...thats the simply the way Nike wants to market him. He is supposed to be the epitome of class and style hence why his outfits always match, nadal before he became 31 and was nikiefied was supposed to represent a newer generation of tennis..and thus the pirate look came about.

And as for differentiation i meant for casual fans i know my players lol, but people like say...my mom pinpoint them by how they dress. And your argument seems primarily around womens tennis. in that regard i agree....it's mostly on the womens side..the mens side is simple.

And i like the Djoker too.

thornofcarrion
January 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Nadal getting hurt and retiring from Australian Open.....thats too bad. I think his personality brings so much to a tournament and Tennis itself. I still think either Murray or Djokovic will win. Federer is another favorite but I like to see new blood stepping up. Both, Murray and Djokovic at the moment seems to be in great form.

goldb
January 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
so far Djokovic has been going under the radar, so I guess he'll at least get to the semis. Murray was excellent today against a sub-par Nadal. I hope the injury ain't what kept him out last year. Federer wiped the floor with Hewitt who still hasn't found his game against the Swiss master. I'm hoping for either Federer or Murray cos Britains been waiting a long while for an open champion.

Gecko Moria
January 31, 2010, 02:36 AM
Well, it's the Fed Express vs. The Brit. for the championship. Obviously, my money will be on Federer (as always) in 4 sets. However, Murray has made some excellent shots in this tournament and has room to improve. He may even win a Grand Slam one day after Federer retires from tennis.

goldb
February 02, 2010, 08:51 AM
Anyone surprised with the result? I am. but only the scoreline; I thought would at least push to a 4th set, but it wasn't to be. Federer was awesome in the first 2 sets and ultimately deserves the win. Pity for Murray, so close yet so far. I hope it doesn't play on his mind too long, losing both his Grand Slam finals to Federer.

KnuckleheadedNinja
February 02, 2010, 05:06 PM
The King's reign continues. Great win by Federer. That was a lot easier than i was expecting.

And congratulation to Serena for her 5th Aussie.

Atobe the king
February 02, 2010, 07:06 PM
Murray was too shaky in the first two sets, but the end result was the same..sweet 16 FTWWW

goldb
February 06, 2010, 12:30 PM
It's the Grand Slam final experience, Federer has been in so many finals that he knows how to cope with the pressure and get the best out of himself. Murray has only been in 2 finals and carries the hopes of the British people on his shoulders which is not easy. We expect him to win every tournament he enters and that's not fair. I hope he really can win a Grand Slam this year; it'd be great if it happened to be Wimbledon too.

Atobe the king
February 06, 2010, 06:41 PM
WImby? idk...Fed and Nadal are too far ahead on natural surfaces. I'd say his best shot is USO.

And both Nadal and Fed won their First GS finals..sampras did too right?

goldb
February 08, 2010, 08:29 AM
Yeah he did. I'm saying it would be fitting if his first GS win was Wimbledon, just for the fans sake. But the easiest out of the lot are possibly Australian GS and USO, so he's got one more opportunity to go imo. The French Open is too much, you'd have to be a specialist or Federer to win.

Xerneas
April 04, 2010, 06:10 PM
I feel bad for Andy Murray. He's definitely talented enough to win a GS, and deserved one more than people like Djokovic and Del Potro. But he's gonna have to wait cause my man Fed is trying for all 4 this year. Nadal already ruined it twice before by dominating the French, and Fed is getting older - this is probably his last chance.

Atobe the king
April 04, 2010, 06:44 PM
Ughhh lots of top players playing like shit atm....fed...nole..wtf
Grats to Roddick

thornofcarrion
April 07, 2010, 01:41 PM
Ughhh lots of top players playing like shit atm....fed...nole..wtf
Grats to Roddick

Indeed it seems many top players are out of form, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and even Federer went out early in the last 2 tournaments. Nevertheless, Roddick played well throughout the tournament, he deserved the title.

Atobe the king
April 07, 2010, 08:02 PM
Indeed it seems many top players are out of form, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic and even Federer went out early in the last 2 tournaments. Nevertheless, Roddick played well throughout the tournament, he deserved the title.

Well Nadal made both Semi's and lost a winnable match to Lubo, and an on fire Roddick...Djoker was just crappy...murray...=( and Fed...failing to close out Sera and Berdman bah

thornofcarrion
May 02, 2010, 02:26 PM
Nadal won his 5th Rome Masters in 06 years, impressive. Glad to see him winning few titles before he goes to Roland Garros. So far Clay is looking good for him. He should win RG this year again.

Henin wins 1st title in return from retirement. She made few finals but lost. This title will certainly give her confidence and try to win her favorite title on her favorute surface=> Roland Garros.

goldb
May 03, 2010, 08:11 AM
Nadal has now won the most Masters titles; 17. One ahead of Federer and Agassi. In 5 years he has won 17 masters, whereas Agassi took 14 years to win 16. Scary...

Atobe the king
May 03, 2010, 09:57 PM
he's tied with agassi for 17

blai
May 04, 2010, 06:38 AM
Nadal brought a complete new way of playing compared to how Agassi played his game. The aggressive top spin play with the counter-punches from a lefty isn't a play that is easy to adapt to as an opponent. Especially not on clay.

thornofcarrion
May 04, 2010, 08:31 AM
Agreed. Nadal has certainly improved his backhand a lot. It used to be a defensive shot but now he can earn some winner from that wing as well.

blai
May 04, 2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?

goldb
May 04, 2010, 11:13 AM
I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
I personally found it to be quite distasteful...

thornofcarrion
May 04, 2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?

I also try to look into upcoming players. No Nadal in making as far as I know. People like Nadal and Federer comes once in a century.

I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
I personally found it to be quite distasteful...

I tried to find the news you said but I failed. Though, in some interviews he was not so appreciative about Nadal. Saying things like Nadal couldn't do much about his game. Duh, Nadal won, didn't he. Anyways, its very un-sportsman not to acknowledge someone like Nadal. Nadal, on the other hand, always appreciate his opponents. You wont hear him saying, "Oh I lost because I was playing bad". He'd give the credit to his opponents. Something Sampras was so good at.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 05, 2010, 02:32 PM
at a certain point nadal actually ruled recently he is actually down .

as for federer this guy is a legend , he has that unique style and freedom in playing .

thornofcarrion
May 20, 2010, 02:05 PM
Nadal won 18th Masters Series title, surpassing Andre Agassi. The chance of winning another French Open is looking good for Nadal, given he stays fit and injury-free.

blai
May 20, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have my money on Djokovic. Even though he hasn't gone all the way or played nearly as good as he usually does, I think he's got more potential than he's shown and that he will be a really tricky opponent for Nadal, given that they both will meet. It feels like he's been saving up for the French Open... We'll see this weekend how it starts

thornofcarrion
May 21, 2010, 04:26 AM
I would love him to go back to his former self. He has a complete all around game. The year before the last one, he was the only one giving Nadal any resistance.

Nadal will be back to No. 2. We wont see him or Federer colliding, not before a final. Given, they both make it.

goldb
May 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
You can count on Federer to at least reach the semis, and I'm guessing the final too. My money is on Nadal after he won the last Masters, I can't believe he's beaten Federer 13 out of 20 times O_O astonishing.

Atobe the king
May 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
Not really, most have them have been on clay, Nadal is a bad matchup for Fed and Fed exposed the power of the dropshot...Nadal is like the greatest claycourter of all time the fact Fed has kept it close is astonishing.

thornofcarrion
May 24, 2010, 03:33 AM
While most of his victories are on Clay, Nadal has beaten him on Hard surface of Australia and Grass of Wimbledon. Nadal has certainly improved on other surfaces as well. If we get more Nadal vs. Federer on surfaces other than Clay, I am sure Nadal can beat him. But I expect all these matches to be evenly contested. Perhaps, decided on the day who plays well.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 24, 2010, 06:40 AM
soderling vs nadal is going to be good im looking forward to it .

blai
May 24, 2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah, indeed, Soderling had a great year last year and I really hope he can push himself as much as he did last. His first serve and deep forehand are deadly, Federer is deffo a fav, but he will have to fight for every game.

thornofcarrion
May 25, 2010, 01:53 PM
Somewhat Tennis related, have you guys seen Gypsy - Shakira (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xceq6g_gypsy-shakira_music). Nadal was in the song and the song is steamy hot. Nadal looked good in it.

DLord.Van.Buuren
May 26, 2010, 05:49 AM
^ thats why i hated his guts

goldb
May 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm cool music video, didn't picture Nadal as that kinda guy that does guest appearances in videos.

Atobe the king
May 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
While most of his victories are on Clay, Nadal has beaten him on Hard surface of Australia and Grass of Wimbledon. Nadal has certainly improved on other surfaces as well. If we get more Nadal vs. Federer on surfaces other than Clay, I am sure Nadal can beat him. But I expect all these matches to be evenly contested. Perhaps, decided on the day who plays well.

One wimbledon win, on Nadals best year and Federers worst...and it still took him till 9-7 in the 5th.

The AO.....Fed should have won that match, why he didn't? i don't know....he was good off the ground but served like garbage.

It's just a bad matchup. I hope the sentiment isn't that Nadals winning H2H somehow diminishes feds accomplishments, he can still take Nadal, he had one good claycourt tourney and took it to nadal and had the advantage in the breaker before he brainfarted.

And whoever mentioned Sod VS Nadal
They're not on the same half of the draw, the only way they're meeting is if Sod beats Fed in the quarters...aka...extremely unlikely.

thornofcarrion
May 29, 2010, 11:21 AM
One wimbledon win, on Nadals best year and Federers worst...and it still took him till 9-7 in the 5th.

The AO.....Fed should have won that match, why he didn't? i don't know....he was good off the ground but served like garbage.

It's just a bad matchup. I hope the sentiment isn't that Nadals winning H2H somehow diminishes feds accomplishments, he can still take Nadal, he had one good claycourt tourney and took it to nadal and had the advantage in the breaker before he brainfarted.

And whoever mentioned Sod VS Nadal
They're not on the same half of the draw, the only way they're meeting is if Sod beats Fed in the quarters...aka...extremely unlikely.

On the contrary, Nadal took Federer to 5 sets in 2008 as well. Even in 2007, Federer won in 4 sets. If we are talking about luck, then in those matches it was just a point or two that made Nadal a loser. But I wont take it as an excuse. Federer won because he was a better player at that particular day. I personally don't believe in Ifs and Buts in sports.

It was apparent, Nadal has improved so much on Grass and Hard courts. I was just looking at Nadal vs. Federer head-head, other than clay, they have played 9 matches on Grass and Hard courts. The record says Federer has won 5 of them. The difference being just one match. And 4 of them are in 2005 and 2006, few of them were decided in the final set. It doesn't mean Federer has become a lesser man. He is great player, has always been. There is no doubt in his achievements.

About Federer not having best of seasons in 2008, I don't think it was the case. He still won US Open and some other titles that year. You don't win a Grand Slam if you are not playing your 110%. He was finalist in many other tournaments, including French Open. More than anything, players like Djokovic and Murray improved so much.

Anyways, for the sports, Nadal vs. Federer matches have always been captivating. Just like Sampras vs. Agassi matches were marvelous to watch.

Atobe the king
May 29, 2010, 09:26 PM
Its pretty much unanimous that 08 was federers worst year Even today McEnroe mentioned it while commentating for the french. He only won basel,estoril and the USO...aside from the USO the other titles weren't top tier titles, estoril is a 250. He lost to the likes of blake, Karlovic MARDY FISH and a lot of other players who he had like 9-0 streaks against. He didnt win a single masters that year. He played well at the USO but that was one of his poorest seasons by HIS lofty standards.

You mean took him to 5 in 07 and 4 in 06. Fed played like crap in the 07 final. The issue with Nadal is mental, his passiveness on breakpoints and tentative shots, and the fact that every match is just nadal drilling feds backhand all fucking day.

Federer Nadal matches are boring because its the same thing every time, pepper the fed backhand, fed implodes.

Murray and Djokovic are good but they stack up to fed, when he got his mojo back after winning madrid/French/wimby he beat them back to back on their best surface at Cincinnati in STRAIGHTS while when they beat fed in early 09 when his game was even worse than 08 they never won in straights it was always a 3 setter and in almost ever match fed was leading by a set and a break. He beat Djoker in the USO for third straight time as well as crushed murray in Melbourne this year to the extent that murray took months to recover mentally and is still shaky.

Due to the match up and this silly mental block, nadal dominates fed. But nadal will never dominate the field like fed did.

goldb
May 30, 2010, 04:25 AM
It's no doubt that if Nadal was never here, Federer would've mst likely won all the Slams since 05, but the same can't be said about Nadal, the only time Nadal is pretty much guaranteed to win is on clay, but Fed has all surfaces within his range. And you're right atobe, Nadal can't dominate the Men's game like Fed did a few years ago.

In other news, ohhh poor Mr.Hewitt, straight sets, again???

Atobe the king
June 01, 2010, 12:54 PM
LOL

It's like deja vu....will Nadal lose to Belluci in R16? xDDD

Nah but last year he also straight setted Hewitt in r3 (so yay Lleyton doesn't lose any points) then went on to to be part of the upset of the decade (tennis wise)
[hr]
Holy shit....Fed out, Sod through....RG JUST got very interesting :D

blai
June 01, 2010, 02:04 PM
I ate my words badly.

Also, Soderling vs Federer now, shame both of them has to meet in the top 16 but it'll be exciting nevertheless. Federer will win but I'll root for Soderling. He has a good shot at winning too since he's learned Federer's game and last time in RG he did an insane job so his self confidence isn't too bad, also, he played a great game last round (day 8) and if he can maintain his first serve like he's been doing so far, then he will at least give Federer a struggle.

Federer will win with 6-4, 6-3, 6-4

But still, great game. Shame about the suspension after 5-5 in 3rd...

Gecko Moria
June 02, 2010, 02:51 AM
I need to watch the reply of that game, still can't believe Federer lost before reaching the semi-final (ending his 23 consecutive semifinal streak). To be honest, when I looked up the results for the match earlier and saw Robin Soderling (5) def Roger Federer (1) I think my heart skipped a beat.

Huge upset, but to put it fairly Federer had never been good on clay. If Nadal wins Roland Garros he will reclaim the number one position. But at least Federer fans can look forward to the next Grand Slam at Wimbledon where Federer excels. Personally, I'd like to see Soderling or Djokovic win the French Open though Nadal has been performing very well.

goldb
June 02, 2010, 03:12 AM
I can't believe Federer's Grand Slam semis record is over! I was so shocked when I was told the result. I hope Soderling goes all the way, if not then at least the final. If Nadal wins his next match, then he'll be the new World no.1 I hear? Bad news for Fed. That jsut goes to show you that he hasn't been getting many trophies in lately, because there used to be a quite a safe gap between the 2 of them.

blai
June 02, 2010, 04:10 AM
Soderling is world ranked (7) but tournament seeded (5) Gecko, so yeah :p
And I'd also want to see Djokovic vs Soderling; it would be good for the tennis world to see two other players rather than Nadal/Fed in finals, especially in such a big tournament as RG.

Soderling is up against some WR (22) Austrian iirc so I almost take it for granted that Soderling will win that one because if he keep using his heavy forehand to press the balls down, the Austrian wont stand a chance because he can't play against players like Soderling who does that... If I only could remember the name.. >,>

goldb
June 02, 2010, 04:44 AM
Tomas Berdych

thornofcarrion
June 02, 2010, 04:51 AM
Soderling is world ranked (7) but tournament seeded (5) Gecko, so yeah :p
And I'd also want to see Djokovic vs Soderling; it would be good for the tennis world to see two other players rather than Nadal/Fed in finals, especially in such a big tournament as RG.

Soderling is up against some WR (22) Austrian iirc so I almost take it for granted that Soderling will win that one because if he keep using his heavy forehand to press the balls down, the Austrian wont stand a chance because he can't play against players like Soderling who does that... If I only could remember the name.. >,>

Blai you mean the lefty from Austria, Jurgen Melzer, but he is facing Novak. And I agree with you about seeing some other players in the finals.

blai
June 02, 2010, 04:52 AM
Bah, wrong of me, Djokovic is playing the Austrian. Soderling's playing the WR (15) Cze.

Thanks goldb, and toc, I did mean him but they're not playing until an ev. final (yeah right) so I just confused myself and mixed the top/bot brackets.

Top Bracket

R.Soderling (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpsa49.html)
v
Tomas Berdych (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpba47.html)
Bottom Bracket

Jurgen Melzer (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpm762.html)
v
Novak Djokovic (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpd643.html)

Novak Djokovic (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpd643.html) (my pick)
v
Rafael Nadal (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpn409.html) (my pick)Nicolas Almagro (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpa479.html)
v
Rafael Nadal (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/players/overview/atpn409.html)

Atobe the king
June 02, 2010, 10:04 AM
SODERLING FO 2010 plz xD
[hr]
Guys i have to disagree.

Fed is AMAZING on clay, second only to Nadal...what happened was..Soderling was on FIRE, and 23 straight semis will NEVER be matched but Sod was on fire, fed played fine lol.

goldb
June 02, 2010, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I'm not trying to take credit away from Sod, he was fantastic out there! even Fed( who is normally quick to find excuses) admitted afterwards.

YES! Djokovic is out! I'm so happy, he only has himself to blame for not closing out the game; he was 2 sets up. Serena lost :(

Atobe the king
June 02, 2010, 10:13 PM
Well fed is smart about his excuse making, he finds a way to hide it with compliments about how the other guy plays but sod blew him off the court lol.

I dont like serena so yay for me...shame about Henin ;__;

Charlie
June 02, 2010, 10:57 PM
I need to watch the reply of that game, still can't believe Federer lost before reaching the semi-final (ending his 23 consecutive semifinal streak). To be honest, when I looked up the results for the match earlier and saw Robin Soderling (5) def Roger Federer (1) I think my heart skipped a beat.

Huge upset, but to put it fairly Federer had never been good on clay. If Nadal wins Roland Garros he will reclaim the number one position. But at least Federer fans can look forward to the next Grand Slam at Wimbledon where Federer excels. Personally, I'd like to see Soderling or Djokovic win the French Open though Nadal has been performing very well.

I'm not a huge tennis fan but I do like Feder, shame he is out :(.
Nadal is the favorite right?

blai
June 03, 2010, 03:51 AM
Well, yeah, since Djokovic blew his chance in the quarters I believe it'll be Soderling vs Nadal, and in that game, I don't think Soderling can play as brilliant as he did against Federer so I must say Nadal for the gold...

Atobe the king
June 03, 2010, 10:50 AM
Sod was brilliant all of last year, first final jitters got to him. This time i think it'll be different.

goldb
June 03, 2010, 12:37 PM
Women's final is between Serena's conqueror Stotsur who crushed Jankovic in jus over an hour against Schiavone who wasd leading Dementieva by a set when she retired because of an injury.

Men's final I'm guessing will be Soderling vs Nadal, maybe an upset???

Atobe the king
June 06, 2010, 11:10 AM
Nope, no upset...grats to Nadal really happy for him.

But damn it Sod...if you were going to beat Federer....why didn't you play the way you did when you beat Federer -_-

goldb
June 06, 2010, 11:16 AM
Exactly!!! I thought he woulda at least taken Nadal to 4-5 sets, but looks like Nadal reigns supreme again :). Congrats to him. 2nd time he's won French Open without dropping a set O_O

blai
June 06, 2010, 11:29 AM
Shame Sod, but you'll win Wimbledon, no worries *har har*

Yes guys, Sod didn't play his best game, but Nadal sure did. Best serves this tournament and his agility made Sod look like a snail. Though, Sod had a much tougher opponent than Nadal in the semis.

thornofcarrion
June 06, 2010, 12:23 PM
Off course Soderling couldn't play his best game. He is a big guy and had a 5 sets semi-final match. It must have taken out a bit from him, physically. Still, even if he had shorter matches prior to Final. I dont think he would have taken the match to more than 4 sets.

goldb
June 06, 2010, 04:30 PM
Some of the rallies in this match were epic, I mean the shots Nadal was picking up from the net was awesome and Sod really could hit the ball. Nadal had to keep returning the ball at a really good length so as to not give Soderling time to play his game, which was really hard and he did brilliantly.

Atobe the king
June 06, 2010, 05:19 PM
Shame Sod, but you'll win Wimbledon, no worries *har har*

Yes guys, Sod didn't play his best game, but Nadal sure did. Best serves this tournament and his agility made Sod look like a snail. Though, Sod had a much tougher opponent than Nadal in the semis.

Sod had Fed and inform Berd back to back....Nadal had....Almagro his whipping boy...and tired Melzer....

But the result wouldn't have been any different tbqh.

blai
June 06, 2010, 05:22 PM
The winner wouldn't differ but the results would. Anyway, Wimbledon next, some weeks of rehab and then we're ready to go!

goldb
June 06, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yeah I cant wait for Wimbledon season!! I'm expecting big thing from Andy Murray; seeing as he go really close last year.

DLord.Van.Buuren
June 07, 2010, 06:50 AM
andy murray really had a hard time during french , though i was expecting more from him .

goldb
June 07, 2010, 08:46 AM
Well they all(except for Nadal) really didn't have it easy and sometimes struggled to win. Murray should have lost in the 1st round if Gasquet had been a smarter player; he threw away a 2 set lead.

Queens started today, the top seeds are in action tomorrow and Wednesday.

thornofcarrion
June 13, 2010, 12:18 PM
I have never imagined that I would read this when I check sports news, "Hewitt upsets Federer, wins Wimbledon warmup". I didn't see the match but it was shocker for me. Grass is Federer's favorite surface and he lost to Hewitt. This does not go well for both Federer and Nadal, losing on Grass before Wimbledon.

goldb
June 14, 2010, 07:40 AM
I can't believe Federer lost to Hewitt, I would have quite comfortably bet my house on that match for Fed to win, good thing I didn't. I didn't quite expect an all-american queens final though and thought Mardy Fish would win since he had the tougher run thorugh the tournament but congrats to Sam Querry.

Now roll on Wimbledon!!!

DLord.Van.Buuren
June 16, 2010, 01:03 PM
i dont want to judge any one but federer is getting a little too comfortable in his games , i mean he keeps offering stupid points , and that isnt good .

goldb
June 17, 2010, 11:14 AM
Is it me or has he lost a bit of that "edge" about his game that made players fear him? maybe it's age or something.

benelori
June 19, 2010, 06:16 AM
I talk from experience now...it's really hard to maintain the same playing level in tennis...UR movements change(physical condition, age, mental state)therefore UR play suffers...Federer always had problems with his backhand, but the rest if his moves are customized as well(I mean he employs a a different hitting approach for each ball)...but his backhand suffers from this the most...so after some time these moves get deformed even more...so that's why Fed is slowly losing his edge
I know Federer since the first Master Series tournament, and from then he changed his style through the years...

thornofcarrion
July 04, 2010, 11:18 AM
Rafael Nadal won his second Wimbledon title with a victory over Tomas Berdych. I imagined it would be a tough match. Berdych, had the game to beat him. But Nadal was brilliant. He has improved so much on Grass. The commentators, one was Vijay Amritraj and the second I cant recall, were talking about how never before in Tennis history (men and women) a player is so favored to win both at Roland Garos and Wimbledon. Not even Bjorn Borg, Sampras or anyone else was so favored, on surfaces that are so contradicting to each other. The level of Tennis was brilliant over the course of the tournament.

DLord.Van.Buuren
July 05, 2010, 05:51 AM
Nadal really improved very well on grass his movements were smooth , he had no trouble winning over Berdych .

goldb
July 05, 2010, 06:03 AM
The Men's game is realy opening up with the breakthrough players such as Berdych from a few years ago starting to show some consistancy in their perfomances.

Congrats to Nadal and Serena as well for winning her 4th Wimbledon and 13th Grand Slam putting her 6th on the all time list. I hope she gets close to Stefie Graf's 24 before she retires. Realistically she could win another 5 imo.

thornofcarrion
July 05, 2010, 07:35 AM
The game has definitely opening up as compared to few years ago. Nadal was first one to come and trouble Federer. Then we see players like Djokovic, Del Potro and Murray showing up on men tennis. Personally, I like to see competitions as it was in days of Sampras. Agassi, Rafter, Tod Martin, Rios, Kuerten, Jim, etc...The competition however was mediocre over last few years. Players like Hewitt and Roddick were there but they lacked in some departments. For example, Hewitt had defensive game and not aggressive. Andy had huge serve and forehand but his backhand and volley were mediocre at best.

Berdych never delivered as he was expected to deliver few years back. He had all the weapons, big serve, huge forehand and backhand, and he can volley as well. I hope the final was just a stepping stone for his future progress.

steelwingcrash1
January 17, 2011, 10:02 AM
I really do not like Federer's playful demeanor in most of his matches. It's kind of like acting cocky in front of your opponents.

I really prefer the serious players such as Nadal and Djokovic.

benelori
January 20, 2011, 05:06 AM
I really do not like Federer's playful demeanor in most of his matches. It's kind of like acting cocky in front of your opponents.

I really prefer the serious players such as Nadal and Djokovic.

Playful demeanor...I think most people would call that style and grace...because he is always very calm and his play style allows him to transmit the feeling that he is hardly hitting the ball, unlike aggressive players like Nadal...

thornofcarrion
January 28, 2011, 02:46 AM
Djokovic outplays Federer to reach fourth Grand Slam final, scoreline 7-6, 7-5, 6-4. What really was talked about during and after the match, "It is not often that one sees Federer the great sweat, or look angry, or annoyed, or take a bathroom break. But he did all of those this evening as he fought in vain to stem the inspiration seeping from Djokovic's every pore."

I am hoping for a final featuring Djokovic vs. Murray, with Djokovic coming out as the victorious.

Atobe the king
January 30, 2011, 12:07 AM
Finally...for the first time since AO 08 we have a final w/o the two of them. The fedal era is getting boring..domination for almost 6 years...

thornofcarrion
April 11, 2011, 11:05 PM
Last two Masters tournament and Djokovic came on top. Both Nadal and Djokovic reached the finals. Federed lost in Semis of both tournaments, once by Djokovic and the second time by Nadal. It was not just he lost, he was beaten pretty convincingly. The best player so far has been, without any doubt, Djokovic. He had good years and bad years, but he was expected to become Number 1. I think he will realize that dream this year.

Atobe the king
April 11, 2011, 11:08 PM
The match with nole was close, fed had the momentum and imploded djoker did the same exact thing to nadal who i've never seen play so poorly. Nadal beat fed convincingly but that matchup was, is and forever will be bad for federer.

thornofcarrion
April 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
We have a poll now. Who do you think will come out as No. 1 at the end of the season?

goldb
April 16, 2011, 05:03 AM
I'm voting for Nadal. He's got still a few points ahead of 2nd placed Djokovic and we've now entered his favourite and most dominant part of the season. If he does well through this, then he'll stay top.

In other news, Federer lost again...This time to Melzer I think in the quarters at Monte Carlo 6-4 6-4

thornofcarrion
April 18, 2011, 01:09 AM
I agree, Nadal has point advantage over to the second closest Novak. Moreover, the Clay court season followed by Grass surface, is where he can extend the advantage even further.
[hr]
Another one for Nadal, he won his 7th Monte Carlo title.

goldb
April 18, 2011, 05:25 AM
Yep, I didn't watch the match but I had no doubts whatsoever that he'd win. Seems Ferrer could be the one person who can disrupt his reign on Clay.

thornofcarrion
April 18, 2011, 05:40 AM
My thoughts prior the season began were that Nadal would have his toughest year on Clay. I expected Djokovic, Murray and especially the Clay-courters giving him tough time. He lost a set against Murray before he took the 3rd one with ease.

Atobe the king
April 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
Murray was injured wasn't he? And this was Murray's best performance since the AO, Murray and Djoker will be taking it to him. I'm not voting in this poll...this sport is way too unpredictable. No one saw federers 2009 or his 2010 turning around after the way they started. If going by only atm, it's going to look the same, Nadal, Djokovic, Federer.

thornofcarrion
April 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
He had some issues day before the match. Nothing serious but he felt nagging, especially when he was serving. The doctors weren't sure what it was till they have MRI scans. He then had cortisone injection before the match, which enabled him to play. He was doing well in two sets, but then he started to feel uncomfortable. Murray said after the match, the heavy top spin by Nadal and the force required to hit them back along with some long games wore off the effects of cortisone injection.

Atobe the king
April 18, 2011, 02:04 PM
God damn you rafa, too amazing lol. Should be a good claycourt season if matches like that happen more often.

goldb
April 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to it this Clay season. How many titles is Nadal defending again?

Atobe the king
April 18, 2011, 02:33 PM
Monte carlo (defended)
Rome
Madrid
Roland garros

goldb
April 18, 2011, 02:45 PM
Lol, Okay this is gonna a very interesting season cos he's got a lot to lost but I think he's got it.

Atobe the king
April 18, 2011, 02:51 PM
Well he's playing Barcelona this year...shades of 2009....he says he's okay but his idea last year of just playing the masters was a good idea imo.

goldb
April 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
I just hope he stays fit and that he doesn't force himself too much cos he's burning himself fast.

thornofcarrion
April 19, 2011, 01:39 PM
I am hoping that either Murray or Djokovic will win one of the masters. It will be really good for the sports. If Nadal can bag few of them along with Roland Garros and Wimbledon, he has a good chance of retaining No. 1 ranking.
[hr]
This year's singles champions at Wimbledon will each receive $1.8 million, its a hefty amount.

goldb
April 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah I just read that today too :jawdrop, Not too long before the rest of the Slams follow up on it. Also read that Murray will miss Barcelona.

thornofcarrion
April 20, 2011, 01:26 AM
Yep, he is injured and will miss it. Clay season is really tough. The players need to be 110%. It will be better for him if he take time off and heal before the grandslam.

lawlett-kun
April 26, 2011, 11:44 AM
you guys its gonna be Novak. He was beating Rafa lately and Federer too.Lol my fav player I practiced with him 2 times and beat his brother: zomg Federe its enough just stop winiing come down

thornofcarrion
April 26, 2011, 11:32 PM
Novak has the potential and the game to beat Nadal's on clay. But do that throughout the clay season, I doubt it. Novak has had issues with physical fitness in the past. Although he has improved it considerably, but clay is the most demanding surface. Unless Nadal goes out of form, it will be a climb uphill to take away his dominance of clay.

Atobe the king
May 15, 2011, 02:33 PM
The man...who has forgotten how to lose...vamos nole :D

goldb
May 16, 2011, 04:21 AM
I can't believe what is happening lately, Djokovic is on a different level right now; unstoppable. He's doing to Nadal what the latter did to Federer and has now beaten in 4 straight finals on his way to claiming 2 Hard and 2 Clay Courts Masters trophies :o

I'm worried about what may be going on in Nadal's head right now....

thornofcarrion
May 16, 2011, 05:49 AM
Its so exciting isn't it, to know there is someone who can beat Nadal on Clay. Djokovic is probably playing best Tennis of his career. Looking all the matches Nadal lost to Djokovic, its the backhand making the difference. Many have tried, including Federer, to overcome Nadal's vicious top spin on the backhand. Djokovic however have overcame it beautifully.

goldb
May 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah its the backhands that's done it. I didn't watch this Rome final but I saw the Madrid one and he kept Nadal at bay throughout that match like I hadn't seen anyone do for a long time :o
The way he was whipping out the backhands, it was almost at will.

Atobe the king
May 16, 2011, 01:30 PM
Djoker BH = Godlike
Djoker FH = Solid

Nadal FH = Good (he's making a lot of errors off that wing)
Nadal BH = Liability. This is the difference

And Nadal had brainfarts yesterday...hitting to the Djoker backhand thats suicide.

saladesu
June 05, 2011, 01:00 PM
Anyone catch the two Roland Garros finals? :zomg Didn't watch the women's, but I watched the men's and boy was it intense!! (except for the last set... that was a bit of a let down...)

Rafael Nadal (1) def Roger Federer (3) 7-5 7-6 5-7 6-1

The first three sets were so intense! I started watching 20 minutes into the game, and at that point Nadal was losing 1-3, but shortly after he rebounded and at one point one 7 games in a row! He broke Federer when Federer was serving for the set (5-3 to Federer), so really, kudos to him. He might have had an easier time closing the second set if the rain and the play suspension hadn't interfered.

All in all, the match was very good, excellent play from both players! :thumbs Rafa really chases any ball down, you can't get rid of him - like the commentator on the channel I was watching it on, he's like a rash :XD Federer did very well, too, but I guess it just wasn't good enough. Too many unforced errors as well. And I guess clay just isn't his thing... On the other hand, with Rafa nailing his 6th Roland Garros title, he truly is the king of clay ;)

So, it looks like Rafa holds on to his #1 rank, at least for now~ He should probably thank Federer for taking care of Djokovic in the semis though, or he might not have been able to defend the championship.

thornofcarrion
June 05, 2011, 01:10 PM
I watched both of them. Congrats to Chinese people for winning first single's grand slam title. She really played well throughout the course of the tournament. China is really coming to the fronts in the world of sports.

I was sure that Nadal would win it. Federer played one of the best match he had played against Jokovic on Clay. However, Nadal seems to get better of him. I think its more like a mental edge he has over Federer.

goldb
June 05, 2011, 01:30 PM
I've been watching Na Li for a few years and she's always been a threat in the women's game and she and China deserve to win the Grand Slam..

I only saw the men's final from about halfway through the 3rd set onwards....

The fourth set was disappointing from both to be honest, but what I saw of the 3rd set was just spectacular. I've not managed to see a single match of this tournament but this was some fantastic shot making I saw from both men, particularly Federer in the latter stages of that set. I didn't know who to root for during the whole time I was watching the match but I would've been happy no matter who did.

Nadal now was a 6-3 Grandslam finals record against Federer and has beaten 9 times in their last 11 meetings :jawdrop Also this is his 10th Grandslam and he's just turned 24. Can I see him catching up to Federer's record? well, if he can't then I don't know who can...if anything I hope he gets close to it before his body can no longer handle his tennis game.

thornofcarrion
June 05, 2011, 11:11 PM
No need to put a spoiler tag any more :cookiehand. Actually Nadal leads their head-to-head series 17-8, a 6-2 advantage in Grand Slam finals. That also includes a 5-0 at the French Open in favor of Nadal. The only French Open Federer won, he didn't face Nadal.

If anyone else has a chance to catch up on Ferderer's record of Grandslams, it would be Nadal. We are privileged aren't we, to see players like Nadal and Federer in our time. I have seen most of Sampras as well so I am more privileged :p. Next up is Wimbledon...its going to be gigantic this year. Murray, Dojokovic, Nadal, and Federer all are in good form.

goldb
June 06, 2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah we truly are. I didn't get into tennis until after 2000, before that I just heard so and so had won this but most of the time wouldn't know who the person was unless they were a widely known athlete. But our generation is very privileged to have witness the dominion of Federer and now of Nadal's, and going into Wimbledon and Queens tournament, I'm just excited at the prospect of what the tournament could be :spaz

saladesu
June 06, 2011, 10:43 AM
You guys are old :3c

I only got into tennis and watching tennis about 6 years ago. It's cool to see such amazing players like Federer, dubbed by even Nadal as the best player of all time (and that is really the highest praise you can give anyone!), Nadal, Djokovic... I can't wait to see more playoffs between these great players.

As an Asian and of course even more so as a Chinese, I am really happy to see Asians breaking into Tennis. In 10, 15 years time, who knows, perhaps the top 10 will all be Chinese :XD After all, tennis is one of those sports that China hasn't broken into and dominated, whereas if you look at sports like table tennis... All Chinese :p I'm excited to see what talent springs forth from China as more people there get interested in the sport thanks to Li Na (calling her Na Li is just weird, but that's because I'm Chinese...).

thornofcarrion
June 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
Its that time of the year folks...Wimbledon has started :clap. Any predictions for the winners?

lawlett-kun
June 21, 2011, 01:12 AM
i say federer

DLord.Van.Buuren
June 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
there is no way federer is gonna a win a damn thing as long as nadal is alive.

thornofcarrion
June 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
I would have dismissed Federer too if it wasn't because of his performance on his least favorite surface "Clay". He played very well against Djokovic to defeat him and end his winning streak. Grass is Federer's favorite surface but he has been beaten twice during last 3 years. This years championship should be one of the most competitive as compared to yesteryears.

Atobe the king
July 03, 2011, 10:48 AM
Nadals head to head is in his advantage because his one dimensional style matches up greatly with roger, this is a game of matchups. I knew federer had the variety to take out novak where as novak had nadal downloaded to the point where tired novak beats nadal comfortably in straights...in rome of all places the surface considered closest to RGs clay.

It's funny how times change, end of last year federer smacked everyone in the masters cup and was the man to beat and ran into the unbeatable djoker. Djoker smacked nadal in four straight finals including making him look average on clay. Everyone writing off the most dominant player this sport has seen in the open era..how silly. It should have been obvious from the madrid semi final that fed would find his form soon. It was the old man near 30 fed who ended djokers run not nadal. He's fortunate fed won, djoker could have taken him out. His one dimensional style was exposed by djoker, can't pick on the djoker backhand because its probably the best backhand in the world.

He had his closest ever RG final with nadal at almost 30....and you think he has no shot on a surface he pretty much owns? Haven't people learned that writing off roger is asinine? Some idiots that said fed can't beat djoker or will never reach another slam final...and then he does on his "worst" surface. Nadal isn't invincible on grass, Robin Hasse and Pezchner would like to have a say in that. Nadal barely won in 08, and feds performance against berdych was probably the worst I've seen from him in a while.

@goldb. Nadal will never dominate the sport to the extent federer did in his prime. Rafa since becoming number 1 has dropped all the way to 4, fed held onto number 1 for almost 4 years. When nadal matches a year like feds 06 then we'll talk. He is literally a week shy of tying sampras. Nadal on a slow but steady decline if you compare results. Especially when the best player is still Novak. Nadal is 24 in normal years, but he's been on the tour since he was a teenager, in tennis years he's an old man.

Idk if i want federer to win this more as a fan..or just to watch the haters/doubters jaws drop if he does. Watching the talk tennis forum crash and all the novak band wagoners disappear from the forum was a thing of beauty.

---------- Post added July 02, 2011 at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was June 21, 2011 at 04:55 PM ----------

Didn't see the maestro being upset by tsonga...nor did i see Murray letting one point essentially lose him a whole match. Hoping for a good final sunday.

In the mean time go maria :(

---------- Post added July 03, 2011 at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was July 02, 2011 at 10:30 AM ----------

Good job Nole! Congrats

-beating nadal in a slam for the first time
-winning wimbledon
-AND attaining his covetted #1 ranking
-Wins first wimbledon title in first wimbledon final like ole rogi

I dont think anyone is going to dispute his greatness now. Wanted it to be Rogi but this is just as nice.

Atobe the king
September 17, 2011, 03:01 AM
Wow thought this thread was dead lol.....he's been the 4th best this year. But his career is amazing no doubt.

naruto-niichan
September 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
He definitely achieved a lot but I think his time of being a dominant winner is over.
Nadel seems on the same level or a bit higher and Djokovic is kinda unbeatable right now, luckily Nadal could beat him at least once this year.

I really only see Nadal/Djokovic as the Number 1 this year and likely next year too

Atobe the king
September 17, 2011, 11:10 PM
His domination has been ever since 07 lol, since then it's been a 3-way race unti this year where Nole is king.

naruto-niichan
September 18, 2011, 08:04 AM
His domination has been ever since 07 lol, since then it's been a 3-way race unti this year where Nole is king.

well it's not like he dominated the whole time but I agree, he's one of the greatest players ever. I don't think Nadal or Djokovic will achieve as lot as he did but Djoko was a complete beast this year

goldb
September 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
I still can't believe how dominant Djokovic has been over Nadal, let alone the rest of the ranks :blink

naruto-niichan
September 18, 2011, 04:11 PM
I still can't believe how dominant Djokovic has been over Nadal, let alone the rest of the ranks :blink

well yeah that really was/is crazy :oh he nearly won everything, wonder how long he will be able to keep this up

Atobe the king
September 19, 2011, 12:37 AM
He only had two real issues, match longetvity and his serve getting wrecked. Fixed those two things, coupled with confidense makes for a year like this.

Black Lagoon
November 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
Looks like federe is back for his 100th Final

Atobe the king
November 27, 2011, 12:34 PM
If he wins then thats winning 70% of 100 finals, impressive stat

Josef K.
November 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
Still, this year belongs to Djokovic, even though it seems he was satisfied a lot after winning the US open that he did not feel like doing more. For me at least he gave out that kind of vibe. I personally am a Federer fan, his games are always entertaining to watch, the ones with most technique and still even slower he makes such fantastic moves. The true test is next years Australian Open, of course that is really near so I suspect a change of form for the players will not happen it will be nice to see Federer reach the final there.

Atobe the king
November 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
If Nadal and Djokovic carry this pathetic form into next year then it'd be interesting...Djokers level actually dipped after the french. But everyone,especially nadal, has been so intimidated by him it didn't really matter. I'm not saying he played bad, but he wasn't showing the unbeatable god form of the pre wimbledon season. Remember how many bagles and 6-1s he handed out per tournament? It's been an amazing year...and i'd hate for it to just be ONE year and then the wheels come off in 2012, hope he makes the most of his off season.

That said, a tsonga win here wouldn't surprise me.

Black Lagoon
November 29, 2011, 09:06 AM
Federer is just The best of The history, he was The only one this year to beat Djokovic in his real prime time, and still cannot understand how he lost while winning by 2 sets, with 2 match points and with his serve ... Djokovic came back in what considered by federer himself as One of the greatest losses in his career.
His playing style is perfect and as a person he's the kindest man on earth, I'm only saying this because in Spain (Marca, Tve ...) they always praise Nadal saying that with his achievements and his age he'll become the best of The history, they do not say it like that but you can read between the lines.
But look at him, he got demotivated ... Djokovic ate his morale (don't know if I did express myself well ... Cuz it's a Spanish expression), and now he is pathetic ... And I am (right now I guess I would rather use the past so instead of am I should use was) -_-; a Nadal fan

Atobe the king
November 29, 2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah Djokovic did a number on him, that 4th set of the USO....he put so much effort into winning the 3rd and then loses the 4th 1-6. Fed is getting old is all though haha...well not getting...he is pretty old at this point (in tennis years).

Black Lagoon
December 03, 2011, 07:24 PM
Indeed in tennis year he's pretty old ... But for moments like 1/2 Roland Garros against Djokovic I want him to stay forever.

goldb
December 04, 2011, 04:21 AM
He's old but he can still school a lot of the players out on tour right now. The thing is he just doesn't have that fear factor(?) that he had at the height of his success during 2003-2007/8, when he could basically win a tennis match before getting on court. His game percentage was incredible; he'd very rarely lose throughout the season; I remember this clearly because whenever he was knocked out of a tournament it'd appear as Breaking News on our sports channel in the UK.

It was amazing to witness him win the ATP World Tours title again this year, not a great as last year but still very good. Damn shame I missed his match against Nadal, I heard it was a spectacular masterclass by him.

Looking forward to 2012; it's gonna be a very good year. I hope Tsonga keeps improving and challenges the top four; very difficult but I think he can do it, he really needs to improve his movement on the court though.

Atobe the king
December 05, 2011, 12:47 AM
I agree, but take out 08 lol, 08 was BAD, he won the USO but he lost to some players like karlovic etc that he shouldn't have been losing to lol. The match against nadal is on YT...it was an hour long xD;;

goldb
December 05, 2011, 12:47 PM
I agree, but take out 08 lol, 08 was BAD, he won the USO but he lost to some players like karlovic etc that he shouldn't have been losing to lol. The match against nadal is on YT...it was an hour long xD;;

Hahaha :sweat yeah forgot about that one....

Was it just an hour? :blink

Atobe the king
December 05, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah lol...the first set was quick, and the second was a bagel...feddie was in the zone that day lol.

goldb
December 06, 2011, 10:17 AM
There's a Top Spin 4 version of their match; gonna watch both! :thumbs

rudorofu
January 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Has anyone been following the Australian Open? o: It's always painful for me to watch Federer lose even when he's playing some of his best tennis in comparison to the performances from last season. On another note, I'm glad Sharapova is back and stronger especially from her shoulder surgery (:

Black Lagoon
January 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Federer has problems with Nadal, Nadal has problems with Djokovic, Djokovic has problems with Federer and Murray has a lot of problems. :XD

rudorofu
January 29, 2012, 07:12 PM
Federer has problems with Nadal, Nadal has problems with Djokovic, Djokovic has problems with Federer and Murray has a lot of problems. :XD

LOL. So true XD The game of Nadal just doesn't suit Federer :\ Djokovic and Federer matches are probably my favourites because they're entertaining with tons of professionalism added. Murray, I've never really been a big fan of, but I think we've all realized he still has some work to be done in order to overcome the top 3 and win a Grand Slam somewhere down the road. There just has to be somebody who doesn't have problems at all to overcome all 4. I'm just rooting for some other lower ranked people to start the new generation of top players :P

Atobe the king
January 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
I expected Fed to lose...but my god nadal. He was fresh as a daisy going in, while djoker had to play Murray and Ferrer who looked poised to try and break his legs...and with all of that he still could have won it in 3 or 4...djoker has beaten rafa SEVEN times and in THREE straight slam finals. Rafa owns fed but he never had 7 straight wins...or lost 3 straight slam finals in a row. Nole could win the calendar slam tbh.

goldb
January 30, 2012, 06:24 PM
I really thought Nadal had this match as Djokovic was going into with some fatigue after his 5hour match against Murray; but what a champion to come out again in the final and play like that. In the fourth set he looked like he was running on fumes but suddenly he looked like the old Djoker.
I really feel for Nadal, as you said Atobe he never did anything like this to Federer and it's now has a deeper psychological effect on him I believe. It's gotten to a stage for him where he knows he'll get to the final of a major tournament but knows that if he comes up against Djokovic he'll lose.

I very much see Djokovic winning the next Grand Slam which is Roland Garros; a shocking thing to say considering Nadal's continuous domination on the surface but at this moment Novak seems like he could do it all.

rudorofu
January 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
To be honest, I've never actually watched any matches during the French Open :\ Not too sure why, but it might be because Nadal has dominated majority of the time so there wouldn't be anything surprising. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the 2012 season will go, following the top 3 along with some of the brave newcomers. I think the era of Nadal and Federer is slowly coming to an end leaving for more possibilities of new, younger players coming into the top 10. Even though I do enjoy watching Federer, it would be nice to see a change within the rankings and newer players dominating the Grand Slam draws causing upsets along the way. Djokovic is still relatively young so he'll be around for a while.

goldb
January 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are all more or less the same age. The difference is Nadal plays such a physically aggressive game and has been doing so for so many years that it's taking a toll on his body much faster than the other players. He burns out faster and has a higher risk of injury; hence the blisters, knee injuries and such.

You should try and watch the French Open when you can, Clay Court matches are such physically gruelling matches and it's when you really see the Spaniards and South Americans, as well as french players shine.

Black Lagoon
January 31, 2012, 09:49 AM
LOL. So true XD The game of Nadal just doesn't suit Federer :\ Djokovic and Federer matches are probably my favourites because they're entertaining with tons of professionalism added. Murray, I've never really been a big fan of, but I think we've all realized he still has some work to be done in order to overcome the top 3 and win a Grand Slam somewhere down the road. There just has to be somebody who doesn't have problems at all to overcome all 4. I'm just rooting for some other lower ranked people to start the new generation of top players :P

Me too, I really like the Current Djokovic vs Federer's matches, as you said, professionalism ... they play like angels, and still can't believe how federer lost against Djokovic in the USO O_O, that was an epic match. XD

Atobe the king
January 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Nadal may be the same age but he's got the legs of a 30 year old. Federer gets flack for his mental toughness but he bounces back from losses quite quick. After his USO loss he was 24-0, he beat Hewitt and Tomic in davis cup. Then won basel,paris, world tour finals, and had a great shot at doha. And he was completely untroubled in the Aussie open until nadal. if the stars align roger will win a major with ease tbh haha. The same thing happened at the US, he beat everyone handily and should have beaten Djoker in straights. Old man fed has still got it.

Man murray...really impressed me, his new coach lendl is doing wonders for him. His on court demeanor is much better he took it to djoker and probably has a better chance of beating him than nadal at this point. I agree with goldb, claycourt matches are really cool lol, my favorite slam was actually the french. Federer beat djoker because if he didnt djoker would have a calendar slam right now. his most convincing wins against nadal were actually on the dirt last year.

Also agree that im loving the newcomers but i felt like this aussie open was like "ONE THOUSAND YEARS TO EARLY!!!!" Federer crushed tomics dreams, Murray sent nishikori packing, and Hewitt edged Raonic...the old guys still got it in them haha.

This will be an interesting year, the scary thing...djoker isnt even playing as well as he was last year....

goldb
January 31, 2012, 12:52 PM
This will be an interesting year, the scary thing...djoker isnt even playing as well as he was last year....

That's the scariest thing; I believe Murray should've beaten him in the semis and beyond that Nadal should've won in 4 but somehow he's coming through these matches. It's not good news for his rivals and those wanting to best him.

Atobe the king
January 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
I actually feel he should have won the nadal match in 3 or 4. he was this close to winning the the first set. The second was tight, dominated the third. And had a 0-40 lead in the 4th and a 5-3 in the breaker. Nadal blowing the 5th was a surprise but thats how in his head djoker is.

Imperium
June 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
I think everyone is still focused on the football but...Nadal...Wow. What happened there...

lawlett-kun
June 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
cya rafa. great epic fail. first time i see him loose so early in grand slam