PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Yankee-kun To Megane-Chan by YOSHIKAWA Miki

Boz
May 08, 2008, 03:28 AM
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/61be098uYlL._SS500_.jpg

TITLE: Yankee-kun To Megane-chan
MANGAKA: Yoshikawa Miki
PUBLISHED IN: Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine (Air Gear, Fairy Tail, Zetsubo Sensei, Tsubasa, etc.)

SUMMARY: Shinagawa Daichi (short tempered and lazy) is a high school delinquent who just wants to be left alone. However, class rep Adachi Hana (not particularly bright, but sweet) will stop at nothing to get him to go on the upcoming Social Studies field trip. What are her true motives behind getting a "yankee" like Shinagawa to go on such a thing?

+ + + + +

WHERE CAN I GET IT?: One Manga has the three prologues and up to chapter 5 located here (http://www.onemanga.com/Yankee-kun_to_Megane-chan/), and chapter 6 has just been released (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30637) by Mahou-X on MH.

+ + + + +

I want to know if anyone's enjoying this relatively undiscovered WSM find as much as I am. Yes, it's typical shonen "straight-man plus idiot" high school slice of life, but I'm finding the humor really fresh, and there's a spark of sincerity to to both Adachi's, often misguided, attempts to be there for her fellow classmates and Shinagawa's obvious crush and softhearted nature that reminds a lot of GTO. I really like Yoshikawa's way of drawing his SD "horrified" faces as well, it been a while since I've laughed at something purely because of the way it was drawn, especially in something as mainstream as a WSM release.

Any thoughts?

barbapapa
May 08, 2008, 06:21 AM
It was okay.
You can really see Yoshikawa used to be an assistant of Hiro Mashima, though.

Boz
May 08, 2008, 06:05 PM
That's true. Happens to me often when his characters have their mouths wide open during panels, the facial expressions are really uncannily similar.

Kyuzo
May 08, 2008, 06:46 PM
That's true. Happens to me often when his characters have their mouths wide open during panels, the facial expressions are really uncannily similar.

Not really "uncanny," he was an assistant to Mashima after all.

sabret00the
January 02, 2009, 08:44 AM
I do like this series. I'm really surprised that it's in a shounen magazine but it's good. i'm eager to see the characters grow. i'd really like to see shinigawa and adaichi make a go of things so that he's not swept up in the madness in the same way, but i'm pretty sure it'd ruin the story, perhaps it's just right that there's sexual tension there. i'm really not sure about izumi though, i don't feel he has a real place in the group and his constant arguments with shinigawa are tiresome and annoying. i feel that chiba is a great character and his role is done to perfection, never too far into the mix but not just a side character either, however i can't say the same for himeji. she just doesn't seem to have a role. her introduction was horrible and from there out, she's just been annoying.

what i will say is that the current structure is quite worrisome, having peaked at the raw for 97, it would seem as though the cast has been doubled and i can't help but feel that the author is already struggling with only four members.

that said, i'm a fan and i will continue to watch the story unfold.

Dampier
March 23, 2009, 04:56 PM
i like also, but why it's translating so slow?(( we have 36 chaps translated on english, but there is more than 100 chaps ((
i have volums from 5 to 8 but i dunno japanese (damn it!!)

CaptFamous
March 23, 2009, 09:50 PM
I love this story. The gag aspects are hilarious, especially the tough faces and the are on Adachi when she does something stupid.

Tanequil
March 30, 2009, 07:46 AM
This series is hilariously funny... XD. I love it.

Aikyet
March 30, 2009, 12:11 PM
This manga was my true love from the first sight (sp?). Though I never got those school/ slice-of-life/etc kinds of mangas, this one I liked. Well, no. I loved it! Everything about it.
Shinagawa is just adorable - who cannot like such a lazy jerk. And when you add Adachi, th manga becomes almost complete. Nothing stops this madness hurricane :D
And there isn't much to add to it :D

P.S.: too bad - only Mahou-X scanlate it, and at a horrible pace, they're like a 90 chapters behind. Though, their effort is still appriciated. Oh well.
P.P.S.: checked the volume RAWS. It seems, the overall hilarity continues. But the ocean vacation arc is almost over. Still, looking forward to new releases :D

Upd.: So, chapter 37 is up! Resort arc ends. It seems the shool councils always consist of monsters :) Akagi's a beast :)

wade69
April 09, 2009, 12:51 AM
This manga was my true love from the first sight (sp?). Though I never got those school/ slice-of-life/etc kinds of mangas, this one I liked. Well, no. I loved it! Everything about it.
Shinagawa is just adorable - who cannot like such a lazy jerk. And when you add Adachi, th manga becomes almost complete. Nothing stops this madness hurricane :D
And there isn't much to add to it :D

P.S.: too bad - only Mahou-X scanlate it, and at a horrible pace, they're like a 90 chapters behind. Though, their effort is still appriciated. Oh well.
P.P.S.: checked the volume RAWS. It seems, the overall hilarity continues. But the ocean vacation arc is almost over. Still, looking forward to new releases :D

Upd.: So, chapter 37 is up! Resort arc ends. It seems the shool councils always consist of monsters :) Akagi's a beast :)
stfu do you want us to release it slower? and if you noticed we didn't start this manga when it first came out... it was already out a year before anyone touched it.

sabret00the
April 09, 2009, 02:14 AM
stfu do you want us to release it slower? and if you noticed we didn't start this manga when it first came out... it was already out a year before anyone touched it.
Calm down and don't threaten your supporters! I'm sure we're all just as frustrated at the pace as each other. You guys can only go as fast as is humanly possible given your resources and the fans are excited because of the work that you guys do. You've picked up an awesome series and we're all grateful for that as well as the work that goes into bringing them out in such quality. Impatience is silly but it gets to all of us at one point or another.

tehgrim
April 10, 2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.onemanga.com/Yankee-kun_to_Megane-chan/32/20/

q28 for the hiro mashima comparrison

wade69
April 10, 2009, 11:10 PM
Miki used to be Hiro mashimas assistant.

Ranael
April 26, 2009, 09:17 PM

Thank you very much for translating it. I don't know what I would do without this series. It just makes me laugh so hard that sometimes I think I'm going to cry. Not many things do that now a days, so thank you for helping to make my life better through the power of laughter.

LNsu
April 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
Love this manga, but it does definitely feel more like a light read without too much thought into the plot. I enjoy reading it, but I don't anticipate the next chapters or how the story would go if it rears towards the end. The characters are cool and together they are quite balanced, however, it seems like the manga is becoming less about them and more about others. The sense of humor in this manga really suits me and I'm never disappointed with how the arcs unfold. That being said, it still is a rather light manga for me.

sabret00the
April 27, 2009, 06:14 AM
Love this manga, but it does definitely feel more like a light read without too much thought into the plot. I enjoy reading it, but I don't anticipate the next chapters or how the story would go if it rears towards the end. The characters are cool and together they are quite balanced, however, it seems like the manga is becoming less about them and more about others. The sense of humor in this manga really suits me and I'm never disappointed with how the arcs unfold. That being said, it still is a rather light manga for me.
You're right. There doesn't appear to be any growth of the characters and on top of that, i don't particularly find Adachi's stupidity, ignorance or persistence to interfere hilarious any more. We need to start seeing some growth, we need to see Adachi act as a leader and start picking battles. I also thought that while Shinigawa as the merchant was hilarious, he should've gone back and changed his character. If we're gonna have so many other characters, we need more independence in regards to them two. Also the real VP needs to hurry and stand up. I feel like any plot or opportunity for advancement has been bogged down in the fact of far too many main characters, most of which are incredibly bland.

CaptFamous
April 27, 2009, 08:40 PM
It seems that it's transformed into more of a "slice of life" manga, which is fine with me, as I still find it hilarious. I definitely agree that Adachi's grown quite stale. However, I'm not sure what they can do with her besides taking a hard turn towards romance, which I don't really want as a focus. What they need are rivals.

conn-man
April 27, 2009, 08:49 PM
does anybody remember this?

http://www.onemanga.com/Yankee-kun_to_Megane-chan/9/15/

that was chapter 9! and now we're on 42 and there hasn't been a thing on this

this is the development this manga needs right now and instead we get computer game adventures

Algid
April 28, 2009, 12:51 AM
I remember, pretty sure it's it hasn't been forgotten. There's obviously a lot about her past we're not supposed to know yet.

CaptFamous
April 28, 2009, 09:18 AM
this is the development this manga needs right now and instead we get computer game adventures

To be honest, I laughed out loud at every joke about Shinigawa being a merchant. Especially the line about selling bananas.

LNsu
April 30, 2009, 03:38 PM
To be honest, I laughed out loud at every joke about Shinigawa being a merchant. Especially the line about selling bananas.

Especially the part when he got rich.

does anybody remember this?

that was chapter 9! and now we're on 42 and there hasn't been a thing on this

Thanks for reminding me about that! Yeah, that really is weird... nothing has been happening huh.

cleodux
July 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
I started reading this manga yesterday and finished reading 55 chapters by night. It is weird though it is a school slice of life story, but i still find it nice. It is kind of light manga with the purposes to make you laugh. But then i still have doubt about the manga to strech so far like 100+200chapters. But indeed it has 100 chapters or so, so far. Can't believe how Miki-sensei find the new story and development, although we hardly see any development.

The first few chapters focuses too much on Shinagawa and Adachi, so eventhough she introduced a lot of new character, we hardly remember them >.<

Oh i like the merchant joke too... the banana part, i laughed like an idiot last night.
Her drawing style and characters design hell even the in-story joke are heavily influenced by Hiro Mashima. I am looking forward for her development as a mangaka.

Oh the special chapter about the reason for Shinagawa to go to Monshiro High is really cute. And to think that she is always by your side, but you never notice her.

sabret00the
August 03, 2009, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the Yk2Mc thread. Even if I disagree with you and feel the manga doesn't concentrate on Shinagawa enough.

CaptFamous
August 03, 2009, 08:32 PM
I think Shinigawa is adequately focused on. They have dropped a bunch of the storylines about Hana being a secret mob princess (see miniature Yankumi), which seemed interesting. But I'm looking forward to the next chapter, having read the raw.

Teii
August 03, 2009, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the Yk2Mc thread. Even if I disagree with you and feel the manga doesn't concentrate on Shinagawa enough.

If you're worried about not enough Shinagawa, don't be: there's going to be a LOT of him in the later chapters, enough that I think it's more fitting to call the series "Yankee-kun and friends." :P

CaptFamous
August 17, 2009, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know if the scanlation group is still scanning this series?

nassass
August 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
I can't stop laughing.

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/090821/YkMc_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
What a drastically change. LOL

And slowly Shinigawa also become an otaku. ;)

Thise series is hilarious!

conn-man
August 21, 2009, 07:20 PM
i almost dont care that this manga lacks big plot moves, it makes me laugh everytime I read a new chapter, the stuff with the nerds was absolutly priceless!

CaptFamous
September 21, 2009, 10:30 AM
Alas, in addition to the scans being pulled from this site, it appears that Mahou-X has been shut down.

Teii
September 21, 2009, 03:46 PM
Mahou-x (at least the ytm members) are still around. We should be getting a chapter up sometime soon. :)

Ranael
September 21, 2009, 05:08 PM
i almost dont care that this manga lacks big plot moves, it makes me laugh everytime I read a new chapter, the stuff with the nerds was absolutly priceless!

Yes the nerds were awesome!

d3ad3r
December 19, 2009, 09:56 AM
Isn't there a J>E tl (or more) that would like to translate YtM? I for one would really like to catch up (around ch 146 or 147 now) with at least the volume raws which are at vol 11. The last released is 62 which is about midway through vol 8.
When I say "catch up" I mean around 1 month or less which should be 1 or 2 chapters a day. Basicaly I just need the TL, I'll take care of the rest. I'll start cleaning only when I know I have the TL of the chapter.
PM me here or contact me at hollowcoinbox@gmail.com

(I may have went a bit overboard with the release schedule since there are the holidays now. But if there are more TLs it can be done. Proofreaders are also welcome.)

damane08
March 11, 2010, 05:34 AM
I came across this thread last night and so I started reading the manga and I have just one thing to say: FUNNY!!

It is just awesome! I especially like the way the faces are drawn! I have lost sleep reading this manga and I don't regret it at all.
Yankee-kun To Megane-Chan is a great funny manga.

sotona
April 14, 2010, 02:09 AM
http://raw-manga.kyuushi.com/upload/yankee-kun-to-megane-chan/

12 volumes

weird_pirate
August 05, 2010, 10:08 PM
im thinkin tat there will b an endin comein up soon from the way the mmanga has been made, or they'll be go on till college, but im thinkin tat once high school is over the mangas over and then a future chapter thing^^

<.Haruka.>
August 06, 2010, 06:27 AM
I think it won't end up yet... Shinagawa Daichi still need to now that his first love is Adachi Hana which is hidden between that glasses & pigtails. :amuse

Though it would be nice that the story would continue until they get to collage and their kohai (anna, kitami & kagawa) takes over the student council.
Some of the chapters on the manga hinted the turn over of the positions on the student council (election) as Adachi and others (shinagawa, chiba, rinka & izumi) enters senior year.

weird_pirate
August 06, 2010, 03:26 PM
well not soon, but the endin is more shown, the look alike girl will tell him who hana rly is, she might b a member of her gang once?

<.Haruka.>
August 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
well not soon, but the endin is more shown, the look alike girl will tell him who hana rly is, she might b a member of her gang once?

The girl who looks like Hana is her younger sister, Subaru Mito, who is studying on Aaosuji Academy.
On later chapters she would cut her hair to make herself look different from her older sister. I think she could also be Hana's rival for Shinigawa...
I doubt she'll tell who really Hana is, my guess is either Shinigawa will learn it from others or he would discover it by accident or in an incident..

weird_pirate
August 14, 2010, 01:06 AM
The girl who looks like Hana is her younger sister, Subaru Mito, who is studying on Aaosuji Academy.
On later chapters she would cut her hair to make herself look different from her older sister. I think she could also be Hana's rival for Shinigawa...
I doubt she'll tell who really Hana is, my guess is either Shinigawa will learn it from others or he would discover it by accident or in an incident..

well tat certainly was interestin kinda saw that or the resemblence u know
well it doesnt seem so for no one has rly seen them only in tat one moment u know
i think shell revial herself later given the circumstances

conn-man
September 28, 2010, 12:04 AM
So what's the status of Yankee-kun to Megane-chan? Is anybody still translating and scanlating it, I haven't seen anything for a while. I hope it hasn't been abandoned, its one of my favorites

scratch that, just found 105 and 106.

conn-man
December 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
is anyone still reading Y-ktM-c?

its seems like it might be comming to a close seeing as their high school career is almost over and the new student council has been chosen. unless it transfers to their college life..but i dont think it will.

but yeah, its really good right now. still one of my favorites.

CaptFamous
December 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah, seems like it might be wrapping up, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice comic timing, romance is subtle and very high-school-authentic, occasional badassary. Good stuff.

baboysai
March 27, 2011, 11:44 AM
I just read up to vol 15 ch 135. According to wiki though there are already 20 volumes and its still ongoing.

and yeah, I spoiled myself with the wiki page and it seems the story goes beyond high school.

I love this manga. It's like, my new School Rumble romcom. Totally stupid and cute characters.

It can't end yet because a lot of things about Adachi Hana have not been revealed yet.

shukketsumaru
March 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
I absolutely love Yankee-kun to Megane-chan, which is why I'm trying to get people to contact their regional book publishers and ask them to produce it where it is not available.

sabret00the
May 07, 2011, 07:32 AM
Great ending to the arc and once again shrouding Adachi's past in mystery. Is this really a manga tale of one woman's journey from mafia daughter to normal girl?

baboysai
May 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
Well now more of Adachi's past will open up now that her brother is introduced to the story. ^^

<.Haruka.>
June 13, 2011, 08:11 AM
Great ending to the arc and once again shrouding Adachi's past in mystery. Is this really a manga tale of one woman's journey from mafia daughter to normal girl?
About the final arc of the series...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-10/yankee-kun-to-megane-chan-school-manga-ends-on-may-18

Sneak peak on chinese scans upto chapter 211 (http://www.dm5.com/manhua-buliangzaiyuyanjingmei/).

The english scans are still ongoing though the series (raws) really ended last May 18.

The ending for all of the characters was just fine except for Adachi, it was kind of disappointing (not spoiling though what happened...:p).

baboysai
June 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm not asking to be spoiled, nu-uh... I like to wait.... :wtf

I was quite shocked that this was listed as complete, so it seems to have ended already. That's just a fine length of a manga this style anyway. It had to end at one point in their school life. It's not like Dragon Ball or anything. :p

sabret00the
September 30, 2011, 03:53 AM
Still plugging along on this one. Not sure how Shinigawa is some sort of a genius all of a sudden when he needed help to learn how to study previously.

baboysai
September 30, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'm actually worried about the releases. Are there new scans out or something?

Pirulito
October 01, 2011, 09:01 AM
Still plugging along on this one. Not sure how Shinigawa is some sort of a genius all of a sudden when he needed help to learn how to study previously.

It's a huge twist, really hard to accept it. But we just can play along with "he wasn't interested in studying" explanation.

baboysai
October 02, 2011, 09:54 AM
True.

And in order to justify it myself, I just might actually read the whole thing from chapter one.... hmm...