PDA

View Full Version : Helltroll's Short and Meaningless Review on Fairy Tail 85 -86

Helltroll
May 13, 2008, 02:43 PM
Helltroll's Short and Meaningless Review on Fairy Tail 85

I - Introduction

Hi there, folks.
I’m pretty sure a fair deal of you guys knows that there is a new user group called “Chapter Reviewer”, who was created by the admins with the intention to get more people into reviewing chapters. And what can I say: It works. I was always interested in chapter reviews and after the creation of said group I finally was motivated enough to share my thoughts with you and practice my English skills for the upcoming tests in high school (and because I’m a filthy attention whore). However: Enough with the long introduction, let’s get started.

II - Review

http://img34.onemanga.com/mangas/00000022/000036931/04.jpg
If I were there, I wouldn’t be as calm as Natsu.

As the chapter starts we first get a glimpse on the Natsu-Wally-Fight aftermath, where the cat hat now sits on Wally’s head. This is followed by a little conversation between him and Natsu which shows us the influence Gerald has over Erza’s friends, since they all (except Simon) seem to believe him unconditional. This small talk however is suddenly interrupted by the appearance of a bite of mouths all over the Tower of Paradise as Gerald begins to speak.

http://img34.onemanga.com/mangas/00000022/000036931/06.jpg
Ladies and Gentlemen: CP 9!

Gerald then speaks about the nature of the game they are playing as the fear in our heroes grows stronger. This is in my opinion on the greatest parts of the chapter, because it shows the huge amount of similarities between Fairy Tail and One Piece. In both the “Rescue Erza” and the “Enies Lobby” arc we have
- a group with support of former enemies
- a woman held captive by men they former know
- a assassin guild who plays a game with the heroes
- a super weapon, who could destroy them all anytime and
- the same character design to some extent (later more about that topic).
This is also shown in the part of the chapter after we saw Shou transforming Erza and ran away with her, which is most likely meaningless as he will either get captured by Trinity Raven or Gerald.

http://img34.onemanga.com/mangas/00000022/000036931/12.jpg
Supernatsu to the rescue!

We now return to Natsu who gives some cheerful words to the confused Wally about Fairy Tail being a place where both freedom and fun is possible. He then flews off to defeat Gerald witnessed by a now convinced and impressed Wally. Since I’m sure Wally will tell Mirianna about it, we now have all former members of Erza’s friends convinced and I’m sure we will see them again either as supporters in the upcoming fights against the Trinity Raven or as the helpers who will guarantee them a safe escape after the defeat/convince of Gerald and the beginning of the Buster Call Etherion attack.

http://img34.onemanga.com/mangas/00000022/000036931/16.jpg
Big Owl is watching you. Really.

But for now Natsu is stopped by one of the Trinity Raven members, named Fukurou. He, as one of the strongest members in an assassin guild, loses no time to show his skills as he quickly uses “Search & destroy” on Simon, who was about to escape with Natsu. He then realises the power Fukurou possesses and begs Natsu not to fight him, because he is in his opinion to mighty for Natsu. Natsu however does not care about that since he is angry about the guilds way of “doing things”. As mentioned before, this fight and the characters involved in also bear a strong resemblance to One Piece. One the one side we have Fukurou, who is not only sharing the name but also the owl theme with his namensvetter but is also using mainly punches and seems to have a strong affinity to the word justice. And on the other side: Natsu, the typical Shonen hero who wants to accomplish his goal to save his nakama and defeat the villain. I think of this fight as the equivalent of the Luffy-Blueno-Fight, because there were several mentions of an unawakened power in Natsu and the fact that both fight seem to happen a little bit away from the main antagonists.

III – Key Points

- All of Erza’s friends are convinced.
- Natsu will fight against Fukurou and will awake his new power.
- I’m not really good at Key Points, so lets move on to the next point.

IV – Summary & Predictions

So let us look in the future: We are at the beginning of the fight against the Trinity Raven, which opens with the fight of Natsu against Fukurou. I predict that Natsu will achieve his own “Gear 2rd” in this fight after getting beaten up badly (there has to be a Klimax, right?). I’m pretty sure that he won’t be able to control it perfectly in this fight but he will when he finally arrives at the end of the tower to battle Gerald. In the meantime we will see the other members of Fairy Tail, including Jubia, fighting the other members of Trinity raven as they try to reach Gerald, who will of course defeat the ones who will arrive. I’m not so sure who the match-ups will be, but I expect a lot from these battles given the character design of Trinity Raven. Vithaldas with his heavy metal theme and Ikaruga seem to have a lot of fighting power and I they have magic that fits their design.
Wow…it is done. My first review ever and I can now understand why Sahugani has problems to keep track with his reviews. I hope I could successfully deliver my thoughts to you and provide you with new material for discussions. I’m not sure if I have enough time to keep these reviews up, since I’m pretty busy but I hope I can. Lastly I want to thank you all for reading this review. It would be nice if you could leave some comments or critics here, so I can develop my reviews and my English skills.
And now, enjoy your time and this little comic for a (maybe not so) peaceful end.
Goodbye, yours sincerely

Helltroll

V – Random funny comic.

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicjason2.png

VI – Credits

Noizy Scanlations for their Scanlation.
Cyanide & Happiness at www.explosm.net for this brilliant piece of humour.
Sahugani for the review layout I ripped so shamelessly.
And you, for enduring the masses of mistakes I made.

Helltroll's Short and Meaningless Review on Fairy Tail 86

I - Introduction

Hello again, folks.
After receiving so much feedback from you guys I decided to keep up my little reviews and share my thoughts and views about Fairy Tail with you guys once again. I will use smaller pictures this time since it was requested by some of you and I will change the layout a little, but let’s get started.

II - Review

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8030/ft861rn9.jpg
Ready, Steady, Go!

As the chapter starts we return to the beginning fight of Natsu and Fukurou. Simon once again is pleading into Natsu’s direction to stop the fight and even happy seems rather angry about our assassin. After that Natsu completes his little speech about Skull Order’s way followed by a short explanation from Fukurou who claims that there are some evils that can’t be allowed to live on. This is yet again a reference to the “Dark Justice” in One Piece and elucidates the importance of the fight as we know that Fukurou will take this seriously. He then starts of flying with amazing speed toward Natsu who tries to counter his attack. Unfortunately Fukurou is faster and grabs Natsu.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1382/ft862ui5.jpg
Another olympic discipline: the Natsu-throw!

After that Fukurou launches into the air attempting to kill Natsu by throwing him on the ground. But Natsu takes this without that of a damage leaving Fukurou fairy impressed as he seems to be a worthy opponent for him. However Simon is trembling in fear which seems to disappoint Gerald, who is currently following the development in his arc from a safe distance. However he seems to be pleased with the line-up Natsu vs. Fukurou and even admits that he wants to fight Natsu himself (another hint concerning Natsu’s development this arc). We then leave this place and proceed to Lucy and Jubia, who are currently searching for Natsu. After a little chit-chat between these two we get to know that Gray has left these gals to search for Shou and Erza, setting up the next fight which will be most likely Gray and Shou vs. Ikaruga.
But in the middle of the talk we get interrupted by the sound of a guitar (which seems to please Jubia. I must admit that she got a good taste of music :-) ).

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/992/ft863ar7.jpg
I was made for fighting you, baby!

We now get to see the source of the sound, which is kind of obvious: Vithaldas shows up to kick some ass! He first shouts at Lucy and Jubia, inviting them to his “concert of hell”, which scares Lucy a lot, and then proceeds to use his long hair as a whip to destroy his targets (which was quite obvious given his looks). These attacks however seem only to affect Lucy as Jubia’s body is formed of water and therefore resistant to his attacks, which seem to caught Vithaldas interest. I really liked these pages as we get to know the character of Vithaldas which is really great: He is a loudly, crazy, rock-obsessed asshole, the perfect character for an antagonist and he seem to be fairly strong given the fact that his hair could create quite heavy holes in the walls.
But this doesn’t seem to impress Jubia as she is launching a attack right after him which caughts him directly in a big water bubble. She then claims that his bark was worse than his bite when suddenly the water is getting absorbed.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4556/ft864dd8.jpg
Insert Head and Shoulders commercial here.

To Lucy’s and Jubia’s surprise Vithaldas absorbs the water that held him captive explaining that his hair has the ability to absorb any liquid. With this ability Jubia’s help in this battly was reduced to nearly nothing, since she simply can’t attack him. But it gets worse: Vithaldas seems to be attracted by the beauty of our gals much to Lucy agitation since it brings back memories from previous situations (for example the two mages, who were molesting her before Loki beat them up). Vithaldas however is picking Jubia to be his first target casting a spell called “Rock of Succubus” on her. This spell seems to be rather painful since Jubia screams to him to let her go from that charme. But he doesn’t and while Gerald is highly pleased that 2 of his enemies seem to be eliminated we see the effects of the spell: Jubia is now Vithaldas’ servant, leaving Lucy alone against one of the Trinity Raven as well as one of the Element Four. A great ending that leaves a lot of tension behind.

III – Key Points

- Gray will fight Ikaruga
- Lucy has to fight with all her strength against Vithaldas

IV – Summary & Predictions

What a great chapter! We got a glimpse at the Natsu fight, saw hints at the Gray fight and got some amazing pages with Lucy and Vithaldas. As for the next chapter I predict that Lucy will have a very hard time fighting Jubia who will be supported by Vithaldas ending with either the summoning of Loki or some other stellar spirits (maybe 2 at one time). I also hope that we will see some good interactions between Loki and her in the upcoming fight and of course Loki’s fighting power which seems to be quite high. After that I want an explanation on Vithaldas power since I can’t imagine that all of his shown abilities are just one kind of magic. And I’m also curious about the conditions of the succubus transforming, but I’m sure this will be explaining soon enough. Another possibility is that we will see what Gray is up to, but this is unlikely since the next chapter will be called “Jubia vs. Lucy”.
Well...once again I finished my review and I hope I will receive as much feedback as the last time. Please excuse the rather short review this time; I had a lot of things to do this week and still to do (some exams coming up) so please forgive me.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and this little strip that once again comes from explosm.net.
Yours sincerely,

Helltroll

V – Random funny comic.

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/guy.png

VI – Credits

Noizy Scanlations for their Scanlation.
Cyanide & Happiness at www.explosm.net for this brilliant piece of humour.
Sahugani for the review layout I ripped so shamelessly.
And you, for enduring the masses of mistakes I made.

sahugani
May 13, 2008, 03:12 PM
YESH!!! another success from the new program

regarding format, i might suggest not using full pages for your pics. just use paint or something to take the frames you want and upload it to a picture host like imageshack

i like what you said about the arc's similarity to the Enies Lobby attack as it does seem to fit with a lot of the same elements. only this time the big boss at the end of the game is actually formidable (as opposed to Spandam)

as for predictions, i don't think Simon is quite out of it yet and this fight will be a combo of Natsu and him to beat the owl guy. we may see something new out of Natsu, but i don't think the revelation will be on par with Luffy's big Gear 2 twist.

we can also expect Gray and Jubia to pair up and fight against the insane guy of the assassin trio. during the previous arc we saw Gray and Jubia fight but a combination of their two powers will really be a sight to behold

Lucy will likely end up fighting the girl of the trio (surprise surprise). this gives her an opportunity to finally show off the skills of her newest summon, Loki. Mashima teased us with his short little "save Loki" arc so he needs to show us the stellar spirit's powers now. we may even see Wally and Miriana join in to help her later as they realize who the real enemy is.

Gerard definitely belongs to Erza to defeat, so we'll see some emotional moments with her and Shou for a while before Gerard soundly defeats him and initiates a fight with Erza. Like at the Demon Island (and Phantom guild), the main enemy has an emotional connection to a member of Fairy Tail and is thus given to that person rather than Natsu. that is a big difference between this series and One Piece as in the other series, Luffy is always the one to handle the top dog. i'm assuming that other than the fight with Fukurou, Natsu's big role in this arc will be to stop the firing of the Etherion and save everyone after Erza beats Gerard

Astral_Shive
May 13, 2008, 10:39 PM
Haha Finnaly someone doing Fairy tail Revievs ,and all i can say is that I was waiting for some guy like you Helltroll :D

What can i say
I agree with your statement that Jerall group kinda resemble Cp9 in One piece
We have evil guys
Owl definitely is in the style of Fukorou - The Fat one :D

ANd i agree with Sahugani
The pictures you put are too big and sometime you can feel like skipping everything just to go to Overall
About Insane guy ...he kinda resamlbe Jyrabura from One piece because he is crazy and lie about Bloodshed

Woman Cutie - Definetly Kalifa....................:D

THANKS FOR REVIEWS HELLTROLL
I'm Waiting to see MOre of them :D

Helltroll
May 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
First of all: Thank you all for your responses and for participating in the poll. I'm glad to get this much feedback.

@Sahugani: I agree with you that Erza will fight with Gerald in the end, however I don't think Gray and Jubia will fight togetehr. This would only leave Lucy for battling Ikaruga and she amy be too much for her (unless she recieves a new power-up).

@Astral_Shive: I'll put in smaller pics next time. And it feels sometimes a little rushed because it was a little rushed (I don't have this much time at the moment). It was originally planned to write just a few key points with the related pics. Bu as you can see I realised that these key points wouldn't be enough do describe things good enough.

Edit: I just read the newest chapter and ... HELL YEAH! Vithaldas simply rocks and his abilities are amazing. I'm going to start writing the review soon so expect this to be out on Saturday or Sunday (as mentioned before I'm pretty busy).

Saintz0r
May 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
Nice review, HellTroll ! :]
I won't vote in the poll cause I didn't have the time to read the other review, but that was pretty good ^^
Now some coments:

This is yet again a reference to the “Dark Justice” in One Piece and elucidates the importance of the fight as we know that Fukurou will take this seriously
This also reminds me of Hajime Saitou's Aku-Soku-Zan.

As for the next chapter I predict that Lucy will have a very hard time fighting Jubia
Yup, that's for sure. The good thing about this fight is that Jubia might start to trust Lucy after being saved by her ( if Lucy can do that xP )

I'll look forward to more reviews :]

Helltroll
May 19, 2008, 09:11 AM
Nice review, HellTroll ! :]
I won't vote in the poll cause I didn't have the time to read the other review, but that was pretty good ^^
Now some coments:

Yup, that's for sure. The good thing about this fight is that Jubia might start to trust Lucy after being saved by her ( if Lucy can do that xP )

I'll look forward to more reviews :]

I'm not really into sports manga, but thanks for the hint. And yes, Lucy defeating Vithaldas and gaining Jubia's trust but be another hint at Jubia joining Fairy Tail (which hopefully will come true very soon) and would improve their relationship.
And thanks for the reply. It's always good to get feedback :)

rose
May 19, 2008, 01:21 PM

I'm not really into sports manga, but thanks for the hint.

Don't know if I'd consider Rurouni Kenshin a sports manga...

I'm also agreeing that this is an excellent way for Lucy to gain Jubia's trust, although Jubia will likely still consider Lucy as a rival for Gray's love. ^_^

I don't know if it was just the chapter but it seemed like there was little to comment on this time... Well, still a pretty nice review. Glad to see someone reviewing this series.

Helltroll
May 20, 2008, 08:32 AM
Don't know if I'd consider Rurouni Kenshin a sports manga...

I'm also agreeing that this is an excellent way for Lucy to gain Jubia's trust, although Jubia will likely still consider Lucy as a rival for Gray's love. ^_^

I don't know if it was just the chapter but it seemed like there was little to comment on this time... Well, still a pretty nice review. Glad to see someone reviewing this series.

I thought it was Hajime no Ippo we are talking about. That's why you should never write, when you are busy. And about the review: I wrote a big english exam this day so I was very busy learning and couldn't write as much as I hoped. I'm also very new to reviewing and I really appreciate feedback such as yours. I'll try to work more on my next review :)

saikanjai
May 28, 2008, 11:16 AM
hey dude nice review! i would have continued with mine, but had to take a break since i had my dissertation and Finals to deal with. It's all over by the end of next week tho, so hopefully i'll continue mine from then, and give you a more constructive comment. Keep it up! :)

patedecarne
May 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hi, Helltroll!

Even if I don't read FT, still I could say you did a great job, using good referencies and taking the right points(still I readied 85 and 86), and even if the review was short, it suited well in the review;

And one thing I suggest you is just change the review's title: meaningless doesn't suits well here, and the most importan: your review isn't meaningless, but it's important in the context!

Other than that, great review!

Helltroll
May 28, 2008, 03:08 PM
@saikanjai: I'm glad to hear that from you. It is always good to have feedback and other reviewers and I hope we will be a help to each other. Maybe we could do a dual review if you like? :D

@patedecarne: I'm honoured to see that even people who don't read Fairy Tail itself are reading my reviews and found them good. About the name: I originally planned to only go into a few points per chapter and keep it short. The word meaningless was simply an ironic stylistic device since I didn't expect this reviews to be so successful.