PDA

View Full Version : Bleach -102 : a Deadberry review

deadberry
May 16, 2008, 03:27 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/neuesj.jpg
Turn Back The Pendulum 7

Well I'm back for another try, thanks for the feedback on the previous review, hopefully this builds on that and entertains a few more people.

So kicking things off this weekend we've got a good old fashioned Captains meeting, and one in which all the vice captains are absent. The latter point was a good call on Kubo's part imo, means Aizen can be absent without necessarily being conspicuous.

Yamamoto starts off in a very 'in character' fashion, reminding us and the captains of what's occurred and with overtones to upholding the gotei 13s honour in matters. He states he's going to send 5 captains out to the encampment but before he can state who the meeting is interrupted by the late arrival of Urahara.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2v1kbkm.jpg
Urahara was still drained from an evening with Yoruichi

You know what? I find this suspicious, Urahara was up and out of his divisions headquarters as soon as the announcement was made last chapter and yet he turns up out of breath and late, whilst all the other captains appear relaxed and calm as if they've been there a while. Chances of Urahara having been out sorting something else out first? Possible I suppose, a few things don't add up for me this chapter. If there's nothing suspicious going on with him then I'm pretty surprised by his display of emotion, seems like he really cares about his subordinates and I didn't pin him as a guy who got riled like that!

Anyway, Urahara's request to join up with the team is denied by Yamamoto for reasons I'm not actually entirely sure of, perhaps its for the same 'logic' as Yoruichi or perhaps something else.

Speaking of Yoruichi she berates Urahara's desire to go help out Hiyori saying its an insult to Hiyori if her superior goes after her to bail her out. The obvious issue I take with this line of thinking is that regardless of Urahara going, there's going to be 5 captains sent out to where Hiyori is. She'd presumably care more that her commander was one of those that came to help her out rather than him abandoning her and her having to be bailed out by people who aren't from her division, it only seems to compound the issue in my eyes.

Well regardless I expect Urahara to go, afterall didn't Shinji tell him in -107 the feelings of those below shouldn't be considered by those on top? (I paraphrase there), won't be surprised to see Urahara act regardless of Yamamotos orders.

The next bit was a fairly telling part in the chapter and a good bit of writing in my eyes, Yamamoto assigns our newer captains to take the dangerous frontline roles, whilst his trustworthy long serving captains stay in reserve. This obviously sends our future vaizard to the front line but it also serves to bolster the idea that Yamamoto is always thinking about soul society itself and its future.

Moving swiftly on, Unohana suggests she goes to provide medical support but Yamamoto requests she remains behind as they don't know the full extent of the situation, he then pulls out something of a trump card that sent me dancing =p

http://i27.tinypic.com/2drgk0g.jpg
Level 90 Dark wizard and level 60 white mage, looking for group

HERE'S TESSAAIIIII

Yup yup its Tsukabishi Tessai, a man that gives Ukitake and Shunsui pause for thought as captain of the Kidoushou. I know lots of people saw this sort of thing happening ever since the kidoushou were mentioned, what with Tessais "bakudou 99, kin" usage way back in the shattered shaft but its nice to have it confirmed. And Hacchi is finally revealed as his lieutenant, really happy to see that happening though I guess now we'll all have to spend some time guessing just how he winds up chilling with Urahara!

After a bit of discussion Shunsui attempts to cheer Urahara up by suggesting the swapping out of Tessai for his lieutenant Lisa (who happens to be eavesdropping). Not only are those 2 a great pair they really grew on me individually this chapter, Shunsui especially seems a lot more sly in these flashback chapters which gives a bit more depth to his character.

I didn't agree with the actual decision to swap out Tessai, thats over half your replacement medic team gone there (assuming Tessai is more adept than Hacchi) but ah well, now we see all our future vaizard heading towards the area where Kensei and Mashiro dissapeared so I expect all hell to break loose in the near future!

With the gotei 13 moving out we cut to Hiyori who's on the run, and I rather felt for her here, she seemed so helpless fleeing from attacks made by a shadowed hulking figure whom we can't identify D:

But just when the situation seems dire for Hiyori the cavalry arrives.

http://i29.tinypic.com/30rl4k0.jpg
One unconventional knight in shining armour

A little yell of fanboyism for this panel heh, Shinji is by far my favourite vaizard and I enjoy seeing his Brother/Sister relationship with Hiyori. Robe billowing, hair trailing and sword swinging, there's no finer entrance on the planet. I loved Hiyori's slightly bemused and shocked expression in the background of that panel, its kinda cute xD

The next part was a very interesting, if brief line about how Hiyori should be using her sword, to which she replies that its not even an option. You can attribute that to two things, the first is that the monster she's fighting is so strong all she can do is wrong whilst the second is because she can't bring herself to properly attack her own attacker.

http://i27.tinypic.com/34yeedv.jpg
Kensei, you won't like him when he's mad

And the hulking person that emerges is...

our missing captain, one Muguruma Kensei...except he's a hollow! Massive echoes of Ichigo and his hollow transformation here, and when I say echoes I mean this is the same damn thing. That mask and that form is awesome, reminds me a bit of Duph from Claymore if any of y'all have read it. Will be interesting to see if those bars in his body serve a particular function or ability. I'm also looking forward to finding out the level at which this incarnation of Kensei fights at :3

From here on I guess we might see Shinji getting serious as a shinigami, it can't be long till we find out who's behind things (though everything points to Aizen) and we get the reason for everyone leaving soul society!

Overall this chapter topped the last one though I'd have to say it felt slower paced. Big revelations, great designs and some brilliant character interaction made it highly enjoyable. Only bad thing? Having to wait a week for more.

forgive me if this has grammar errors, I had to rush through tonight since I've got deadlines for next week D:

mestizo311
May 18, 2008, 01:28 AM
Great review!! What an awesome chapter! Your speculation regarding Kisuke is warranted. I believe that he has a big part in what is taking place at the moment. The only thing that I found questionable was Yamamoto. His tactics for handling this situation seems weird, considering he has no information to go off of. He also had Shunsui questioning his decision in sending both Tessai and Hachi to the scene. Maybe I'm looking into it too much but Yama just seemed out of character. I guess we'll just have to wait anxiously for the next chapter. Oh yeah, Claymore kicksass!!!

bittman
May 18, 2008, 11:31 PM
Yay another review. Rushed for time to comment on your particular notes, however I should just note that I like the short and succinct style and your sense of humour. I predict that both you and pat can review side-by-side without stepping on one another's toes too much. (what I plan to do for OP)

gigantor21
May 19, 2008, 08:30 AM
Great review. ;)

And I have to agree with you on how the rescue party was decided. We knew that these are the future Vaizards, but the reason behind keeping Urahara and Tessai out was spotty.

Now, I'm just wondering how they'll get the other captains, and whether we'll see their sword releases and/or inner worlds.

deadberry
May 19, 2008, 02:53 PM
Great review!! What an awesome chapter! Your speculation regarding Kisuke is warranted. I believe that he has a big part in what is taking place at the moment. The only thing that I found questionable was Yamamoto. His tactics for handling this situation seems weird, considering he has no information to go off of. He also had Shunsui questioning his decision in sending both Tessai and Hachi to the scene. Maybe I'm looking into it too much but Yama just seemed out of character. I guess we'll just have to wait anxiously for the next chapter. Oh yeah, Claymore kicksass!!!

thanks mestizo :3

re: yamamoto I don't think he acted out of character, in fact it was a very in yamamoto character thing to do to assure the safety of soul society by keeping his trusted captains back, he just made some dubious calls but then he's done that for a while.

next chapter will definately kick ass xD

Yay another review. Rushed for time to comment on your particular notes, however I should just note that I like the short and succinct style and your sense of humour. I predict that both you and pat can review side-by-side without stepping on one another's toes too much. (what I plan to do for OP)

I'm glad you like the style ^^ I try to inject a bit of humour every now and then in my writing, I find it keeps things ticking over.

I'll be checking out your op reviews in the future.

Great review. ;)

And I have to agree with you on how the rescue party was decided. We knew that these are the future Vaizards, but the reason behind keeping Urahara and Tessai out was spotty.

Now, I'm just wondering how they'll get the other captains, and whether we'll see their sword releases and/or inner worlds.

cheers Gigantor : D regarding the other captains and releases, it all depends on how long things run for. Right now if we've only got a chapter or two more I can't see kubo showing anymore than a Hirako shikai, we just don't have the time for major fights in amongst all this plot development. Thats probably one of the reasons I'm loving this arc so much actually (that and the fact that it contains almost all (no isshin/ryuuken) of my favourite characters), the fact that kubo is writing dialogue and plot and breaking it up with some action, rather than drawing action and once every five chapters dropping some plotline material.

I'd speculate on how they'd get the other captain, but I think any speculation from me on that issue is doomed to fail heh.

gigantor21
May 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
Thats probably one of the reasons I'm loving this arc so much actually...the fact that kubo is writing dialogue and plot and breaking it up with some action, rather than drawing action and once every five chapters dropping some plotline material.

YES. I fully agree. Story building >>> random encounter battles every time. That's why I don't mind if we won't see them all here--it's better suited for the War, anyway.

But that's the thing. Even putting that issue aside, I don't see how they'll cover everything--the hybridization, the discovery, the exile--in just 2 weeks. A few people have suggested that it'll end on a cliffhanger, then get cleared up during the main story or other Gaiden arcs. At this point, that's probably the best option.

CopyNinjaKakashi
May 19, 2008, 06:37 PM
We need a chapter like White Tower Rocks that is 50 pages long. Great analysis deadberry.

sahugani
May 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
great review

i still maintain that Urahara is unconnected to the events occurring and that his display of emotion is in fact very real. i do see him as a person who cares very much for his subordinates and him getting riled up is a natural reaction. the reason i say this is that, as i said last week, nearly all of the actions that led to his banishment from Soul Society can be attributed to trying to "fix" the vizard from the reiatsu-draining gigai to the hougyoku.

about the kidoushou captain and vice being Tessai and Hachi, i think that was a nice touch. however, Hachi being among the vizard created in the initial incident means that no more vizard have been created (and survived at least) since this incident and up until Ichigo. Shinji told Ichigo that they were recruiting, but it seems like Ichigo is the first recruit they have had. it looks like Aizen's first attempts at surpassing a shinigami's limits were to create vizard but for some reason he decided to abandon this research after this incident and instead turned to creating arrancar. this is most likely due to the fact that only captain or vice-captain class shinigami can regain mental function after awakening hollow powers while hollows can more easily survive the shift to arrancar, making it easier to build an army

finally, i must say that vizard Kensei looks awesome. I'd also like to note that there may be a reason why Mashiro is absent even though she was turned as well. during Ichigo's training it was revealed that she didn't need to go through any training at all to lengthen the amount of time she could maintain the mask. i wonder if she also was able to maintain her sanity after becoming vizard rather than undergo the rampage that Kensei and Ichigo did.

deadberry
May 21, 2008, 01:35 PM
But that's the thing. Even putting that issue aside, I don't see how they'll cover everything--the hybridization, the discovery, the exile--in just 2 weeks. A few people have suggested that it'll end on a cliffhanger, then get cleared up during the main story or other Gaiden arcs. At this point, that's probably the best option.

I'm not sure if we'll get a cliffhanger ending but I don't think we'll get the entire story. My current estimation is that this will end with us knowing that the vaizard became hybrids and knowing what Urahara/Aizens roles in things were. The rest of what was going on will probably be revealed in individual character flashbacks and memories later on, and plausibly we'll see some in an upcoming conflict.

We need a chapter like White Tower Rocks that is 50 pages long. Great analysis deadberry.

Thanks CNK, a chapter as long as white tower rocks would be excellent to round out this arc! Seems unlikely but I'd kill to read one heh.

great review

i still maintain that Urahara is unconnected to the events occurring and that his display of emotion is in fact very real. i do see him as a person who cares very much for his subordinates and him getting riled up is a natural reaction. the reason i say this is that, as i said last week, nearly all of the actions that led to his banishment from Soul Society can be attributed to trying to "fix" the vizard from the reiatsu-draining gigai to the hougyoku.

Thanks sahu, I'm low on time (uni D:) so I'll only respond briefly on this one. I agree that that his actions can almost all be attributed to trying to fix the vaizard and that his emotion may very well have been very real. I'm just very open to the idea of kubo throwing in some big twist, especially one around Urahara and Aizen heh. Its more of a fanboy thing lol.

--

anyway I'm not sure I'll be able to write a review for the new chapter, I'm off away all weekend for a competition and think I'll leave before the chapter even gets out in scanlated form (let alone my preferred binktopia <3). If anyone is actually interested in hearing my take on things then perhaps I'll do something on Monday?

Tsukisama
May 27, 2008, 07:19 AM
anyway I'm not sure I'll be able to write a review for the new chapter, I'm off away all weekend for a competition and think I'll leave before the chapter even gets out in scanlated form (let alone my preferred binktopia <3). If anyone is actually interested in hearing my take on things then perhaps I'll do something on Monday?

Sure, I would love to hear your opinion once you return. The more analysis, the better. :hbunny
Thank you again for your reviews and please continue them.