PDA

View Full Version : Hangout Toriko Hangout Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Koen
May 20, 2008, 02:54 PM
http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-banners/1056.png
Toriko by Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi (http://mangahelpers.com/m/toriko)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2008 #25 (release date 19 May 2008)

About the series:
In the world where the taste and texture of food are very important, there is Toriko, a hunter of precious foods regularly hired by restaurants and the rich. He's a man with the inhuman skills necessary to capture the ferocious, evasive, and rare animals to complete his ultimate dinner course! His current accomplice is a weak, timid person who was inspired by Toriko's greatness and accompanies him on all his journeys on his quest for the course of his life

Here's the oneshot if anyone is interested. SendSpace (http://www.sendspace.com/file/j703jd)

About the Author:
Previous works: Ring (3 volume long manga which was serialised in super jump 2004) , Seikimatatsu Leader Den Takeshi!

Sexy Randal 105
May 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
Toriko is not only supposedly getting two covers in a row, but already has a place on the Jump website when Reborn or Psyren don't have one yet. Jump really seems to be putting a lot into the newcomers this time around. This is a good thing in my opinion. I wanna read Toriko. Anybody interested in scanlating it?

Koen
May 21, 2008, 02:20 AM
Toriko is not only supposedly getting two covers in a row, but already has a place on the Jump website when Reborn or Psyren don't have one yet. Jump really seems to be putting a lot into the newcomers this time around. This is a good thing in my opinion. I wanna read Toriko. Anybody interested in scanlating it?

That doesn't say anything. Volume sells and good ToC places determine wether a serie survives. Toriko will be protected for 8 issues (8 chapters) and then we'll see.
Well reborn is on that site and I think the webbie has mistaken kuzumi of mx0 for ageha of psyren

Sexy Randal 105
May 22, 2008, 02:21 PM
Mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?0g1m4z3jduq)

I like it so far.

fxu
May 23, 2008, 12:40 PM
If that's the case .... then I'm guessing the editors will take care of this manga no matter what...

sigh, let's hope is not crapola.

Sexy Randal 105
May 24, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think the editors are going to take care of the new series for a while unless they really start sucking. It's a shame Usagi and Sket are getting shafted now.

hatsuharupeace
June 05, 2008, 07:11 AM
I'll check this out sometime, but a manga about cuisine, and meat?? It's a comedy manga right??

Sexy Randal 105
June 05, 2008, 10:08 AM
It's not really a comedy manga. There's funny parts. Surprisingly, it's more of an action manga. Toriko basically fights and defeats large beasts to be sold as food. It's very interesting. I like it a lot so far. I look forward for the upcoming search for the rainbow fruit. What's not to love about a buff man fighting six armed gorillas? =P

Muddy
July 18, 2008, 02:17 PM
Is there anywhere I can read this? I've been out of the Jump loop for a few weeks (since this and Togashi began, essentially) and while One Manga has Togashi it doesn't have Toriko; and in the scanlation forum Chapter 6 is posted but none others. Can anyone give me a pointer?

Edit: scratch that, I'm good.

Second edit: based on the first two chapters, this series is fantastic! Hilarious, original, and utterly charming. It reminds me, of course, of Luffy's appetite, but a whole manga based on this concept is like a dream come true. Can't wait to read the next four - will of course report back when I do...

Sexy Randal 105
July 19, 2008, 02:38 PM
I personally like this manga a lot. I wish it had a more dedicated scanlator. I messaged onemanga about it but got no response.

Muddy
July 31, 2008, 02:14 PM
I caught up to chapter 9 yesterday and man, this manga is superb. Funny, clever, charming, with really attractive character and monster designs and especially backgrounds, plus an excellent premise... if it keeps on going like this there's no way it can go wrong. In fact, I think it can only get better.

kaloo
August 01, 2008, 10:46 AM
I like it because it's a fun simple plot. "Super strong guy fights monsters to eat them." And it's well written so it works perfectly.

Muddy
August 01, 2008, 11:17 AM
I like it because it's a fun simple plot. "Super strong guy fights monsters to eat them." And it's well written so it works perfectly.

Yep, exactly. I love the simplicity.

Koen
August 02, 2008, 04:39 AM
Well since I am up-to-date with some other mangas, I might give a shot to this one. I really wanna know how it works, what's it about...

Does anyone know where I can find scans? a batch?

Dofla
August 02, 2008, 04:54 AM
Here, in french:

http://scantrad.fr/Toriko.php

Muddy
August 02, 2008, 11:22 AM
And since the French version probably won't help you...

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=22215 has 1-5, and the rest (6-8) should be in the RTS archives here. Scanlations are four chapters behind now, though.

Luckas
August 02, 2008, 11:51 AM
Even 9 is scanlated and they are in the RTS threads; just dled them because bakaupdates listed the scanlations only up to to 6, so I didn't know they were out :(

Sexy Randal 105
August 06, 2008, 12:38 PM
The next 3 chapters need to be done.

Maxy Barnard
August 06, 2008, 06:17 PM
Oaky, i've reread the first 9 chapters, and have reached an obvious conclusion.

The series IS a comedy. when it's not going for straight laced jokes with a sense of ironic unfunniness, the series is a parody of so many 80s manga, and is aware of how overpowered toriko is, in a homage to older series taht pulled off the same thing with a straight face.

but it's still not that good.

Sexy Randal 105
August 07, 2008, 11:34 AM
I think that might just be Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi's style.

Maxy Barnard
August 08, 2008, 04:41 PM
well has anyone read that? it'd probably do us well to see what the heck his comedy stylings used to be eh

Muddy
August 08, 2008, 09:51 PM
Of course it's intentionally funny! How could you miss the good-natured irony that runs so thick through it? Though maybe irony's not quite the right word.

And I think it's fantastic. If you don't, all I can say is too bad - I would love for everyone to be enjoying it as bloody much as I do :)

Maxy Barnard
August 09, 2008, 06:12 AM
I merely felt the need to point that out in a counterance to sexyrandals adamance that we shouldn't view it as a comedy.

And who knows, it might have improved in all the chapters we're still waiting on

Sexy Randal 105
August 09, 2008, 09:09 PM
If it's so bad than why do I constantly find myself wanting the next chapter so badly after reading the newest one? T_T

I don't like day to day stuff. I do enjoy Toriko's little mini-arcs. They interest me greatly for some odd reason. And they do seem to be in an older style. Well, I like the old Jump style. It has a slight Fist of the North Star vibe to it, but WAY less serious.

Maxy Barnard
August 10, 2008, 02:45 PM
well you're less cynical than me and prepared to love a series without that sort of niggling doubt that always keeps me from just reading, and gets my critical mind looking at the aspects that don't work and so forth. i'm too much of a critic to just be a laid back fan. i'm envious that you can find such joy in it.

and the mini arcs are a nice approach, and the current arc holds promise, if only for the possible outcomes approaching

Sexy Randal 105
August 13, 2008, 12:13 PM
Even I, loving the series, am angry it is getting a 3rd cover. That is just kind of ridiculous. They should give it to Psyren or Mago.

Maxy Barnard
August 13, 2008, 01:51 PM
mago moreso with its tank sales. but yeah Toriko is being pimped to the nines (though i can believe that it's actually liked over there, despite my casual dislike of it)

Sexy Randal 105
August 14, 2008, 11:04 PM
Was Dragonball even pimped that much? Jesus.

Maxy Barnard
August 16, 2008, 03:45 AM
considering the first four title pages all appear to have been coloured.......... still moreso

Sexy Randal 105
August 16, 2008, 11:50 AM
Well, at least Jump isn't over hyping it to the point of that then. That would be truly ludicrous.

kewl0210
September 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
This thread seems to be falling down into being inactive...
Now all the Toriko chapters so far are translated and I'm gonna try to translate them as they come out.
Though it'd probably better if someone more experienced did it.
Anyone reading it?

Maxy Barnard
September 21, 2008, 06:11 PM
Oh most certainly. I'm actually enjoying it now, and hopefullt that'll be enhanced as i throw text onto picture some time in the future :D

it's greatly appreciated that you're taking the time to do it all aswell! this series seems to have a lot of trouble holding active discussion, which is weird considering how high it stays in the TOC.

deadberry
September 22, 2008, 03:03 AM
I think it's just a general lack of readers here/other english speaking boards that does for real discussion D:

anyway I'm enjoying it =p

joekerr
September 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
yeah toriko is... i like everything in it.. the food, the fights, the monsters... it's just to wickeeddd.. and i'm just wondering what the hell is that "THING" that came out from the sea, coco said it ain't living creature, so... what an alien maybe??? who knows, i hope we find out soon enough :D (and it can't be something that's mechanical (like some kind of robot) 'cause robots.. just don't emit auras huh..)

Muddy
September 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
Just caught up with the series this morning; went out, bought a Jump, and read along with the 18 translation. Not that it was even that necessary in this case, seeing as there was so little text, and the little that was there was simple :P I just want to thank you once again for catching up and being willing to keep up with the series.

This puffer whale arc has been awesome beginning to end - and it's not over yet. The gourmet policeman looks very cool, as does the scary yeti not-alive-thing.

This manga is just so imaginative and creative; I don't think there's been a single moment when I've been bored or not intrigued. Shimabukuro's art makes for very cool setting, character, and monster designs, and his story is simple but works really well. The series as a whole reminds me a lot of Chrono Trigger and Cross, as well as (in various parts) HxH, Dragonball, and One Piece - an excellent cross, and clearly in the hands of a talented mangaka.

I'm also really glad that it's doing so well in the ToC, because it means that - for now at least - there's a new series I like that I don't have to worry about getting canceled in the near future. I hope - and at this point presume - that its success is genuine; we won't really know until November, though.

Sexy Randal 105
September 22, 2008, 01:55 PM
I am glad some more people are giving this manga the attention it deserves.

kaloo
September 23, 2008, 11:44 PM
I think the reason there isn't much discussion is because it's very straight forward, for the most part.

Sexy Randal 105
September 24, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, it's kind of hard discussing on something like that. It's just kind of a see it as it comes type thing.

deadberry
September 26, 2008, 04:34 AM
looks like onemanga now have Toriko up, will be interesting to see if that happens to draw in a few more readers.

Muddy
September 26, 2008, 04:54 AM
looks like onemanga now have Toriko up, will be interesting to see if that happens to draw in a few more readers.

Awesome! It's finally up!

If anything, it'll help to have all the chapters in one very easily accessible spot if ever we recommend Toriko to someone, as opposed to telling them to navigate the archives of MH.

Here's what kewl0210 pointed out in the Chp. 18 translation thread: the first appearance of our friend the Gourmet Policeman.

http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/8/12/

Maxy Barnard
September 26, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ooh onemanga caved in!
and the latest chapter had a real hiroshi gamo looking moment with coco worrying about making the little whale things poisonous :O

kewl0210
September 27, 2008, 06:56 PM
There's a discussion on 2ch that Toriko is taking ideas from Hunter X Hunter, that a lot of things are really similar.
Comparison:
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlphp232003vw0.jpg

I'd like to hear if anyone else has an opinion on that.
And I'll try to translate chapter 19 soon. It goes off into a new arc, and has a lot of words.

Muddy
September 27, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hmm... the second page is the only one I buy, and it looks like a good ole proper tribute, far from stealing ideas :P But there may be more, and more convincing, examples of which I'm not aware. HxH is definitely a manga Toriko has a similar feel to, though, that I admit readily. But when you're dealing with a manga as amazing and influential as HxH, then of course that'll be the case.

I feel like the Japanese can go a bit overboard with these kinds of things. I remember when a few years back there was that controversy over Orange Range stealing music for their song Locolotion or whatever it was called and not crediting it; and while that one was perfectly fair, suddenly sites started popping up with huge lists of other bits of their songs that they stole from other places, and most of those were total bull. The Japanese plagiarism laws are just really strange, from what I've heard, so I tend to be wary about taking too much store in these accusations.

Maxy Barnard
September 28, 2008, 05:13 AM
kinda grabbing at mere similarities as opposed to anything concrete, it's pointless

Sexy Randal 105
September 28, 2008, 07:32 PM
Cuz you know...that isn't a common pose in shonen or anything....>_>

Muddy
September 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
Cuz you know...that isn't a common pose in shonen or anything....>_>

Haha, exactly.

Sexy Randal 105
September 28, 2008, 09:49 PM
I guess DBZ is copying Fist of the North Star then.

Maxy Barnard
September 29, 2008, 02:23 AM
essentially every musclebound shonen is ripping off FotNS, so that's partially true :P

anyway, moving back onto Toriko, this last arc has been pretty good stuff, and shows how this satirical-under-the-skin action series can do decent scale scenes without ever feeling all that serious

Muddy
September 29, 2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, it was a very solid arc. I'm looking forward to the one starting in this week's chapter - I've glanced at a few pages in Jump but don't want to spoil it entirely so I'm waiting until the translation comes out.

deadberry
September 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
just read chapter 18

the gourmet police sounds cool xD

nice chapter that one!

Sexy Randal 105
September 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
I like Coco. His poison gun doesn't seem to be very flashy though. That makes it not look too powerful.

deadberry
October 01, 2008, 05:22 AM
chapter 19 was somewhat odd in the way it kinda jumped very quickly onwards, looking forward to seeing where it goes though xD

Maxy Barnard
October 01, 2008, 08:35 AM
19 has comitted a fuck up to me, the whole jump past the gourmet police's encounter with hairything(tm) is just a pain. i wanted to see that more than..... more exposition

Kheops
October 02, 2008, 04:49 AM
Spoil chapter 20 is Kewl make a summary ^^

グルメ研究所に到着するトリコ小松

研究所の内部は食品の大量生産工場みたいなもの

全世界の3割近くのグルメ食材は生産できるが研究用のものだとか

小松が見たことない食材もあると驚くが
広大な庭の中で常時品種改良が行われているので当然ですと黒メガネ
公には出来ない研究も行われているとトリコ

実験室(無菌室)へ行くことになり、
トリコと小松は全裸シャワーと衣服滅菌を受ける

実験室へ着くと見たこともない生き物ばかりで驚く小松

絶滅種の複製やグルメ動物同士の混合種といった、
殆どが現在野生に存在しない人工的な「新種」。

――――――通称「束縛された動物(チェインアニマル)」

゙グルメ研究゙という大義を掲げてはいるが
動物保護や倫理的な観点から
ここは 研究所の中でもトップシークレットとトリコ
そこに脱走したマッスルクラブが登場

フライパンチ!!!

マンサム登場

小松唖然ッ……!!

マンサムとトリコが談笑

マンサム「そうだ?久々にコロシアムを見てくかい トリコ?」と誘う

トリコ「…まだ んなことやってんよ」

マンサム「今日の試合は見物だぜ!!」

トリコ「誰がでるんだ?」

マンサム「バ ト ル ウ ル フ さ」

見開きのコロシアムで、
ガララワニvsトロルコングッ!!

kewl0210
October 02, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hopefully this will make my translation of the whole thing easier...

Right, spoiler tags...

グルメ研究所に到着するトリコ小松
Toriko and Komatsu arrive at the Gourmet Research Establishment.

研究所の内部は食品の大量生産工場みたいなもの
Inside the Research Establishment is a foodstuffs mass production-looking
factory.

全世界の3割近くのグルメ食材は生産できるが研究用のものだとか
30% of the world's gourmet food ingredients are able to be produced here,
though they're used for study.

小松が見たことない食材もあると驚くが
There was food Komatsu hadn't seen before and he was astonished.
広大な庭の中で常時品種改良が行われているので当然ですと黒メガネ
In a huge garden ordinary selective breeding is done, naturally and dark
glasses. [What...]
公には出来ない研究も行われているとトリコ
Toriko can't officially study them.

実験室(無菌室)へ行くことになり、
They go to a laboratory (a sterilized room).
トリコと小松は全裸シャワーと衣服滅菌を受ける
Toriko and Komatsu take nude showers so their clothes can be sterilized.

実験室へ着くと見たこともない生き物ばかりで驚く小松
They arrive at the laboratory and Komatsu is surprised at the living things
he hadn't seen before.

絶滅種の複製やグルメ動物同士の混合種といった、
Things like reproducing extinct species and mixing gourmet animals takes
place.
殆どが現在野生に存在しない人工的な「新種」。
Mostly ones not growing wildly, artificial "new species"

??????通称「束縛された動物(チェインアニマル)」
-------Nickname "Restrained Animals (Chain Animal)"
[The word Chain Animal is in katakana, the first part is in japanese.]

゛グルメ研究゛という大義を掲げてはいるが
Carrying out "Gourmet Study" is a great cause.
動物保護や倫理的な観点から
Because of the animal protection and ethical point of view.
ここは 研究所の中でもトップシークレットとトリコ
Inside this research establishment is top secret, says Toriko.
そこに脱走したマッスルクラブが登場
Escaping there the Muscle Club appears.

フライパンチ!!!
Frypunch!!!

マンサム登場
Mansam appears.

小松唖然ッ!!
Komatsu is dumbfounded!!

マンサムとトリコが談笑
Mansam and Toriko have a friendly chat.

マンサム「そうだ?久々にコロシアムを見てくかい トリコ?」と誘う
Mansam: "Is that so? Have you seen the Coliseum in a long time, Toriko?"
he invites.

トリコ「まだ んなことやってんよ」
Toriko: "I haven't done that yet."

マンサム「今日の試合は見物だぜ!!」
Mansam: "Today's bout is something worth seeing!!"

トリコ「誰がでるんだ?」
Toriko: "Who's appearing?"

マンサム「バ ト ル ウ ル フ さ」
Mansam: "The Battle Wolf."

見開きのコロシアムで、
Two page spread of the Coliseum、
ガララワニvsトロルコングッ!!
Garara Alligator VS Troll Kong!!

Kheops
October 02, 2008, 11:01 AM
thanks Kewl, Toriko's World is crazy :D

Animal Fight, new specie, IGO is a sorcerer ;)

Sexy Randal 105
October 02, 2008, 10:23 PM
Interesting news....Shuesha is releasing Toriko volumes 1 AND 2 next month. They really must be pushing this series. I hope it does well.

kewl0210
October 02, 2008, 11:37 PM
It doesn't even have 20 chapters yet...
Well I guess the first chapter is long so it'll have less than 10 chapters each. But still it'd be almost all we're up to.
Though that'll be cool, maybe I'll buy them.

Maxy Barnard
October 03, 2008, 03:19 AM
They did this with SQs horror series 'shiki' so it's a good sign giving a double release to another series (Shiki sold relatively well with the release too)

Sexy Randal 105
October 03, 2008, 10:47 AM
I think they were gonna do this with Arts and then when Toriko came out they just said screw it and canceled it. XD

Muddy
October 04, 2008, 08:49 AM
I only read Chapter 19 now... but this series is seriously getting better by the chapter! The world is, in fact, expanding, more characters (especially higher-ups) are getting introduced... Mansam is awesome, haha ('did you just call me HANDsome?!' 'uhhh, no I didn't' :P ). And I love that we now know a bit more about the other two Heavenly Kings. I'm especially intrigued by Zebra (he's in prison?!).

Awesome, awesome manga. Really loving it. Very cool to hear about the double tank-release too.

Sexy Randal 105
October 08, 2008, 09:32 PM
I hope Shima-sensei thinks up some cool ideas for the cover. I assume that the first will have Toriko and Komatsu on it. The second will probably have Coco.

Muddy
October 12, 2008, 07:23 AM
Chapter 20's another good one. I love the design of the research facility, especially that first two-page spread after they enter. The coliseum looks awesome, too; can't wait to see what happens next chapter.

Sexy Randal 105
October 12, 2008, 10:59 AM
Pretty cool. I wonder where this will lead.

Muddy
October 13, 2008, 01:44 PM
Another cool chapter. Sweet fight between Troll Kong and Galala Crocodile, and the free-for-all coming up next chapter is looking intense... Battle Wolf seems pretty badass.

Maxy Barnard
October 13, 2008, 01:50 PM
I still feel the plots getting a bit disjointed after the awesome previous arc (in which we didn't get ANY closure ¬_¬) so I'm hoping it picks up for me again.

Muddy
October 13, 2008, 04:25 PM
Well, it's only been, what... three chapters? And this looks like the start of the next arc (i.e. meeting the Robot dude in the 1st Biotope jungle) so it's simply having fun with exposition and all that. It may feel to you like the plot is getting disjointed because it's been a month and not much has been revealed - but that's just one of the things you have to deal with when you're reading a series weekly. If you were reading these same chapters in a tankoubon I can't imagine they'd have any feeling of disjointedness.

I mean, saying Toriko's plot is disjointed right now is like saying Urasawa Naoki's plots are disjointed ... just about all the time, because he constantly introduces and drops plot-points only to re-introduce them in a more important situation later, etc. And he's the greatest master of plot craftmanship in the manga world today IMO.

But excuse me, rant over. I didn't mean any harm, it just always irks me to hear people call a defect in the manga what is merely a side-effect of reading a series one chapter a week. And I know you meant well Noodles; just needed to get that out of my system :P

Maxy Barnard
October 13, 2008, 05:38 PM
it's not a matter of a one a week thing muddy, and i'm well aware of the machinations of weeklies :P (gantz is a prime example of something that holds up poorly on a weekly basis.... or fortnightly i forget)

the issue for me is that not dealing with the food corp bloke versus mchairy(Tm) yet is crippling to these last few chapters, sapping any joy out of the need for that plotline to be sated for me. but then i'm a stickler for perfectionism, so i'm sure the gap in that isn't too bad for others

EDIT: oh and we got to learn more about him, which was a slight nicety through all this

Muddy
October 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
Alright then, that makes sense. I thought it was fitting that they skipped the fight, since it just shows ... what was it you called 'im, McHairy? ... is insanely powerful. All it'd have been is just another few frames of domination. It was an interesting move on Shimabukuro's part to end the chapter with their encounter, making it seem like a set-up for a cool fight, but no harm done in its not being so. The arc essentially ended with the puffer-whale capture as far as I'm concerned; McHairy was showing up was the beginning of the next arc bleeding into the then-current one.

Maxy Barnard
October 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
well admittedly one thign does come to mind here. they can either show the strength of the corps, or the corps losing, or even better, have the two plots collide somehow once this one starts reaching climax.

there's still a lot of potential for toriko to make everything it does work.

kewl0210
October 13, 2008, 07:03 PM
The thing about this manga is it starts out with the main character on top. There aren't too many mangas where the beginning isn't about the main character being a loser or something in the beginning.
In order for this plot to work the first main arc has to be about establishing the world and giving the protagonist limits. I feel like that robot, it had a name but I forget it, will be like part of an "enemy group" that may appear at some point.

Muddy
October 13, 2008, 08:23 PM
Kewl makes a good point, and now that I think about it, it's probably one of the reasons I liked it right away. Usually you have to wait awfully long for the main character to become competent, let alone diesel like Toriko; series have been getting better at it (i.e. Mago not taking too long before letting Rikuo be badass all the time, hopefully Asklepios too?) but it's still a factor. Whereas with this one, the main character is one of the Four Heavenly Kings, and both just a cool likable fellow and the biggest badass around. It's a very welcome change of pace that makes for a very different reading experience.

Really, the only other Jump manga I can think of that starts off with a super-powered main character and only steadily builds up challenges for him is Neuro, which has done a fantastic job of it. I have no doubt that Toriko will as well - as McHairy (and kewl, above) is already suggesting.

Maxy Barnard
October 14, 2008, 02:23 AM
you're wrong kewl there are a lot of manga like that. they're all from the 70s and 80s :P it's a trait that got abandoned as time went on, and it's doing well out of it's clever satire of those elements (one that started a bit mixed, but now its a good action comedy sending up those elements of old to me

as for manga that have done that in recent years... ral grad pretty much had a spin on it (wherein he was powerful but it was all revealed slow and there was still a final power to reach), steel ball run has that to a large extent (till stands come in of course)... and that's about it... though characters being competent early..... well thats a lot of recent manga, just never to the degree of toriko.

Shurou
October 16, 2008, 02:46 PM
Battle Wolf~~

I wonder if Toriko will get a chance to tame it like he did Terry in the one-shot?

Maxy Barnard
October 16, 2008, 04:34 PM
ya know i'm curious, was the one shot ever scanlated? it's the sorta thing that i overlooked at the time as just another one shot...

predsfan
October 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
Well, I finally caught up with this manga, and I have to say I'm glad I did. When I read the first chapter I wasn't too impressed (I mean seriously a manga about gourmet foods, wtf), but it definitely got a lot better. I just love characters like Toriko (humorous and strong).

Oh well, I really can't wait to see what the Battle Wolf can do. At the very least it looks awesome. But seriously, it should pwn the other animals in the arena easily right? I mean a capture level of unmeasurable means pwnage right?

kewl0210
October 16, 2008, 10:07 PM
The spoiler for the next chapter indicates that Toriko will be fighting the Battle Wolf.

Muddy
October 17, 2008, 08:07 AM
The spoiler for the next chapter indicates that Toriko will be fighting the Battle Wolf.

Haha, no way! That's awesome! Can't wait to pick up my Jump tomorrow, then...

Succubus
October 18, 2008, 03:19 PM
dam I love this manga.. cuz main char is awesome 2 days ago I started reading it..

I am excited about batte wolf vs toriko now xD

btw new girl is pretty cute <3

Sexy Randal 105
October 20, 2008, 04:43 PM
New girl?

Succubus
October 20, 2008, 06:50 PM
err short haired girl in the latest chapter x3

her name is Rin

predsfan
October 20, 2008, 07:09 PM
New girl?

I take it you didn't look at the Raw for chapter 22. There is, from what I remember, the first female character in Toriko. And it only took 22 chapters :p.

Anyways, I can't wait to see Toriko vs. Battle Wolf. It should be awesome. Not to mention that the Battle Wolf just reeks of awesomeness.

kewl0210
October 20, 2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah. I just commented a little while ago that there are no girls in this series, besides the girls that swarmed on Coco when he first appeared, which were all extras.
I'll be translating 22...
I'll maybe try to translate spoilers when they show up if I have time. If someone else wants to just post them it'd save me time looking for them in the 2ch thread and figure out when it shows up and all.

Succubus
October 23, 2008, 12:12 PM
uh teh first female character? I never thought xD

btw,

volume 1 & 2 cover

http://i33.tinypic.com/11cfda8.jpg

I like it

kewl0210
October 23, 2008, 12:18 PM
It looks like it'll make a continuous picture if you line them up.
I finished translating chapter 22. The next one seems to be a "battle" chapter.

Shurou
October 23, 2008, 05:51 PM
uh teh first female character? I never thought xD

btw,

volume 1 & 2 cover

http://i33.tinypic.com/11cfda8.jpg

I like it

Looks pretty awesome, any possibility you can get a good quality scan of that like you did for Mago? :D

Sexy Randal 105
October 25, 2008, 09:26 PM
Kind of bland for a cover. Not sure if i like it...

fizban
October 26, 2008, 01:06 PM
I was wondering why it mattered that the Battle Wolf was female last week. Should have predicted that

Maxy Barnard
October 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
i'm digging the simple designs of the toriko volume covers :D

and indeed the complex and actually good looking cover it got this week. the first two covers kinda sucked, so it's a nice surprise

kewl0210
October 26, 2008, 04:00 PM
I dunno if anyone's found a HQ version of the shonen jump cover for this week, [2008-48], because it's usually good to include those in scanlations.
I finished the translation, it's pretty good, this issue.
See how as time goes on, each arc gets longer. They're still doing this "side arc" with the Coliseum, before getting to the main part with the Regal Mammoth. It's a pretty good flow, I think.

Akainu
November 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
just finished reading through all 25 chapters ... it's a pretty good manga for shounen, though there were really few women (as was already noted here I think ^^).
plus, reading it made me hungry so ... you know where I am :darn

Shurou
November 11, 2008, 03:18 PM
Battle Wolf is pure win... I wonder how Toriko will go about unleashing his rage? Let's hope the fight will make sense... (unlike some other manga.. ;P)

@Akainu, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about... this manga makes me feel pretty darn hungry at times (and that's pretty hard to do).

Sexy Randal 105
November 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
Am I the only one that feels like this arc feels shallow? Maybe it's just the atmosphere of the series. XD

Cotek
November 12, 2008, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure I'd consider it shallow considering it's basically been introducing many elemens about the IGO while leading up into the situation with the GT Robo (which is why Toriko is there in the first place).

kewl0210
November 13, 2008, 07:54 PM
According to this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-11-12/japanese-comic-ranking-november-4-10
Toriko's tankoubons got the 10 and 11th places in the manga sold the week it came out. Which is pretty good for a new manga, I guess. I thought it was interesting.

Maxy Barnard
November 14, 2008, 04:57 AM
thats tohan. taiyosha had it just out of the general top 10 with both volumes in the shonen top 10....

so it bodes well for the shueisha top 20 at the end of the month

fizban
November 22, 2008, 09:54 PM
I finally found the new chapter today. Kind of miss having the thing that linked to new topics for each chapter

Chapter 27
So instead of the knife and fork he is going to use a different style that is like an ice-pick? Neat. I wonder if he modifies his hands to work like any form of utensil. I am in favor of melon baller left and claw cracker right as an ultimate combo

Sexy Randal 105
November 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
Nut Cracker Nail Punch FTW

Shurou
November 30, 2008, 06:45 PM
Chapter 28 discussion:
Terry at last~~ Aww, that was a bit tear-jerking T___T

kewl0210
November 30, 2008, 08:11 PM
The raw didn't come out till Sunday, which makes it hard to fit into my schedule at the moment, so might take a couple days. Unless Shurou wants to do it or something.

But yeah, really cool chapter. This ends this.... Coliseum arc, I guess.

Shurou
November 30, 2008, 10:52 PM
Sorry guys, I've got finals... hopefully I can translate a few chapters of whatever here and there during the holiday break :3

Sexy Randal 105
December 04, 2008, 04:50 PM
I hope Terry becomes a part of Toriko's team.

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 04, 2008, 09:29 PM
Toriko is problably one of my favorite Jump mangas already.
Seriously, Shimabukuro just ROCKS at storytelling. :amuse

The Coliseum Arc was fucking cool, man. Loved all the Battle Wolf situation. Pretty touching. :(

Man, maybe it´s just me, but Shimabukuro is amazing at conveying feelings through the eyes of his characters.
In chapter 28, the extreme kindness in Toriko´s eyes towards the little wolf was just so strong and intense...indeed an amazing chapter. ;)

Shurou
December 04, 2008, 11:52 PM
Man, maybe it´s just me, but Shimabukuro is amazing at conveying feelings through the eyes of his characters.
In chapter 28, the extreme kindness in Toriko´s eyes towards the little wolf was just so strong and intense...indeed an amazing chapter. ;)

I was personally even more moved by Terry's expressions... T______T

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 09, 2008, 12:44 PM
I was personally even more moved by Terry's expressions... T______T

Hey, that too. ;)
It´s like Terry thinks Toriko is his pops now or somethin´.
Fucking cute. :darn

Man, this series is getting better by the chapter.

kewl0210
December 10, 2008, 12:52 AM
I'm most of the way through translating this chapter.
I'm understanding how the characters talk now a bit more, and getting which sorts a slang and such they use. So it's easier.
This chapter introduces some new guys. And now we'll go into the next arc.

Also, I was trying to see what it would entail trying to upload the previous chapters, apparently there's no way to just upload scans of a group that's dead or was just made up of one guy who scanlated public raws and translations. I put up the chapters 1 and 2 that were done horribly, and I put up the ones done by helzone, which was I think 3, 4, 6 or something. The link to H-scans in the chapters now goes to helzone's site, so I was able to do that. But there are still like 5 chapters that were done by random guys. Plus chapters 1 and 2 were really crappy. The best way to do it would be if Dragoon or some group just re-scanned those chapters. If there are any missing lines, which I think there are in the first 2, just PM me, if anyone wants to do this.
I feel since this manga is only 29 chapters long, we should try to get all the chapters available here so new people can pick it up without having to go to onemanga or somewhere.

Shurou
December 10, 2008, 01:03 AM
Once again....

NEVER read Toriko when you've gone 8 hours without food and starving... because you'll want to kill yourself looking at all that Gourmet food... x_X;;

Hayashida
December 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
another heavenly king yeeeessssssss
this manga owns

fizban
December 12, 2008, 02:03 AM
Good chapter. I feel bad for the series because the raws show up so late, and that sets everything back. Onemanga had the Naruto and Bleach chapters from this week up before last week's Toriko.

Toriko needs to avoid getting too close to Terrycloth. I'm not saying take him out back and shooting him, but let the creature develop like it naturally would. Then take it out back and shoot it for food.

That's how the series works

kewl0210
December 12, 2008, 10:55 AM
The raw for a few mangas came out really late this week. Naruto and Bleach came out on time, OP wasn't there this week.
But it didn't come out until Tuesday, then the 2 scans didn't get done for like a couple days later.

I'll tell you guys if I find the volume raws, and I'll upload them.

Next week has "four color pages". So... should be neat.

Sexy Randal 105
December 13, 2008, 01:34 AM
Once again....

NEVER read Toriko when you've gone 8 hours without food and starving... because you'll want to kill yourself looking at all that Gourmet food... x_X;;

Don't read Yakitate!! Japan either. You'll just want to eat bread. @______@

Maxy Barnard
December 13, 2008, 03:36 PM
See i think Terrycloth's probably the best addition to Toriko's team yet, adds more depth (much in the same way adding the girl to his aquaintances added some level of depth to the world that acknowledges his brilliance XD)

kewl0210
December 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
The new chapter's cool.
I've got finals so... might take me a few days to translate it.

Sexy Randal 105
December 15, 2008, 12:39 AM
Take your time. School is more important than our manga fix. I'd do it but I only completed one semester of Japanese so far. =P

Terry is awesome. I hope he fights alongside Toriko. I also can't wait for the four heavenly kings to all meet. I wish there were more though. Four seems too low.

Shurou
December 15, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hmm, in that case, I think I'll translate it... I'm finally done with this term :D
[hr]
Trans is up, everybody, enjoy ^^

Me likes this chapter, can't believe I didn't download and read this till today!

Sexy Randal 105
December 19, 2008, 11:07 AM
Why do I get the feeling this is gonna be the best arc yet? =P

ryusuke_
December 19, 2008, 01:36 PM
I have the feeling that the manga is near its end with all the four heavenly kings gathering... it seems as if the author is showing all his weapons and then he'll put an end to it.

Sexy Randal 105
December 19, 2008, 04:28 PM
I don't think it is about to end. The author wouldn't create such an elaborate world just to end it after four volumes. Besides, this is the first hit that Jump has had in years. I would be very surprised if they didn't "persuade" him to keep going. Besides, they just introduced the antagonists. It won't be over for a long while.

Maxy Barnard
December 19, 2008, 04:42 PM
heck, it's pretty obvious that this series is only jsut getting started, the heavenly kings aren't the objective of the series, Toriko's menu is, amongst other things, and stuff can keep cropping up (like the enemies who use GT robos) to make the story more active and tangential. I think Toriko has a long awesome life ahead of it..... i hope

kewl0210
December 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah. The menu is probably the goal. And defeating the Bishokukai and all.
Next chapter has some sorta extra thing in it with a "scent added" to it. And color pages, should be cool.

GARusashi
December 20, 2008, 05:15 PM
So who's the new guy? It's not Zebra (the final heavenly king) is it?

kewl0210
December 20, 2008, 11:09 PM
The new one is Sani. The last one is Zebura, they showed him from behind in the chapter where Coco was introduced.

GARusashi
December 20, 2008, 11:15 PM
No I mean from chapter 31. The man riding on top of the dragon, who seems evil.

I guess I'll just wait for a translation :darn

Shurou
December 21, 2008, 12:03 AM
No I mean from chapter 31. The man riding on top of the dragon, who seems evil.

I guess I'll just wait for a translation :darn

If you would like an early answer without trans:

His name is Staajun... it's a bit confusing to translate... I just wrote the romaji... I won't reveal his identity, though

ryusuke_
December 21, 2008, 03:41 AM
The 4-color-page special:

http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1102295_01.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/1102295/01.jpg.html) http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1102296_02-03.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/1102296/02-03.jpg.html) http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1102297_04.jpg (http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/1102297/04.jpg.html)

P.S: I hope the wolf joins them in their next journeys as well.

Maxy Barnard
December 21, 2008, 04:26 AM
okay i just gotta spoil shit for people now:

the wolf is a member of Toriko's team permanently! check out the oneshot, he's there from the start

and those colour pages just make terrycloth more adorable, with the snorty nose face XD

Imitorar
December 21, 2008, 11:13 AM
Where... exactly IS the oneshot for Toriko? Did it ever show up here, RAW or scanlated, because I'd take a RAW if it was never scanlated. I like to collect the oneshots for series, both to see how the manga-ka's ideas developed, and how it compares to the actual series, and because I like being able to have the oneshot of a 20 volume series on my laptop, look back at the oneshot, and think, "it all started from this...". So being able to browse Toriko's oneshot would be especially nice, being one of the 3 Jump series that I really care about.

ryusuke_
December 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
Where... exactly IS the oneshot for Toriko? Did it ever show up here, RAW or scanlated, because I'd take a RAW if it was never scanlated. I like to collect the oneshots for series, both to see how the manga-ka's ideas developed, and how it compares to the actual series, and because I like being able to have the oneshot of a 20 volume series on my laptop, look back at the oneshot, and think, "it all started from this...". So being able to browse Toriko's oneshot would be especially nice, being one of the 3 Jump series that I really care about.

Here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/j703jd

kewl0210
December 21, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hm, maybe I'll do a translation of that at some point. For now I put it in the Toriko manga section as a Oneshot, since that's what it is.
Though as a Oneshot, it's really long. Like 60 pages.
It's all a basic sorta adventure, though Terry is with him form the beginning, the character designs are different, and he's able to use a 10-Hit Nail Punch.

Sexy Randal 105
December 22, 2008, 12:34 AM
Terry is awesome. It makes me like the series so much more. XD

fizban
December 23, 2008, 09:39 PM
At least when Jump is off for a week I can look forward to the scanlations of Toriko and Asklepios trying to play catchup to the more popular series.

Now that the translators are starting to get used to this series I wanted to ask if there is a common theme in Coco's full menu. The Chief and Sani both have pretty obvious themes and I figured Coco must as well. At first I was looking at the Dragon's Tears and Phoenix thing so I figured there must be a mythology theme going on, but bureau kadziki? Isn't that, like, Desk Fish?

Fish in a desk? If it was Toriko I bet he'd be content eating the desk as well

kewl0210
December 23, 2008, 10:22 PM
Yeah. Well this issue was extra long and Draagon is working with uh... Sugoi Scans or whoever to edit it more. Usually the only mistakes I make I think are pretty obvious small typos and things. Some of it is trying to make things sound more natural if they think someone reading can't understand it.

fizban
December 24, 2008, 12:56 AM
It's got to be tough translating this series because so much of it is ridiculous. I really appreciate the work that is being done to help bring this series to us

kewl0210
December 24, 2008, 02:01 AM
It's not a hard series, really. I'm a new translator but the people in this speak fairly straightfowardly. It's got as much colloquialisms and things as the next manga that I need to look up sometimes. Also because the story isn't exactly that complicated. Most the detailed parts of the plot are exposition describing how the world works, new things. And there aren't so many characters that it's hard to tell how they speak.

fizban
January 01, 2009, 03:11 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am shocked that Sani's power has something to do with his most noticeable feature. Shocked.

It was cute to see Terry helping out against those monsters. How would you even eat those things? It's going to be an issue eventually so I can't help but wonder

Muddy
January 19, 2009, 07:11 PM
This. Manga. Is. SICK.

Just caught up to it today, reading through the whole Coliseum arc and everything up to the current chapter. Terry's story was definitely a tearjerker, and the fight with the GT Robo was great. I love the new villains (all pretty quirky, it seems) and the arc that's beginning right now. Those two or three pages that show the four additional GT Robos loose in the first biotope were very, very exciting. I'm glad they all have different designs.

I'm also intrigued by the GT Robo whom Toriko and Coco first met in the puffer whale cave. Toriko immediately recognized that Bei's one in the Coliseum was different, and he made an ominous comment to Komatsu about the puffer one being a big deal... besides, he and Coco were scared out of their wits when that thing first appeared. I guess they can tell, to some extent, the strength of the operator through the robot.

Also, Mansam is a GREAT character. He was so much fun in the Coliseum arc, as well as after - "oh crap! I FORGOOOOT!!!" :P

P.S. I love your new avatar Randal!

Koen
January 21, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ah some people convinced me reading it. I just read some chapters and will do later on. The troll kong arc was already a nice proof to continue this manga. I am highly dissapointed in myself I didn't give this a decent chance but soon I will

toriko really amazes me, got to admit that and thank you randal, noodles, muddy and others ;)

Onomatopoeia
January 21, 2009, 07:22 PM
So yeah I'm one of the newer converts hope you'll treat me okay in Toriko-land.

Does anyone get a vague Grappler Baki vibe? I don't know if it's just me but it does vaguely feel like it for me.

Anyways yeah Toriko is pretty awesome and I'm totally loving it so far it's got emotional parts and some great action. Not only that but it's based on a pretty original idea in my opinion. The new villains of this arc are looking good and I really want to know they're background because they all seem so cool.

kewl0210
January 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna try to find a raw of the volumes. 1 and 2 came out, 3 comes out in February. And I might redo the translations, seeing as I went through the raws and found a bunch of mistakes. As it turns out, most of the errors in the scanlations were really just poor work by the scanlator, like he would randomly choose which bubble to put things in, then skip some, sometimes would put two bubbles worth in one then skip one, etc. Besides the fact that they weren't scanlated or edited well, both stylistically and grammatically.

Plus the volumes are better quality, and then the whole series will be available on MH, which I'm trying to do to get more people to read it. Seeing as it's so short and people might be less willing to go look for old scans on other distro sites.

On a side note, Coco's name is romanized in the volume in one of those pages to make a chapter start on the right side of a 2 page spread. Coco is correct. Course, the only alternative is "Koko", there's not much else. So perhaps there'll be some of that as a means of knowing romanizations as we move on. If Sani or Zebura are spelt differently I'll correct it from then on.

Shurou
January 22, 2009, 01:01 AM
I'm loving how Terry is so alert about his surroundings all the time... Question now is whether he'll go after the GT Robot himself or let Toriko know - I wouldn't mind some sick Battle Wolf pwnage, but Terry's only a baby, after all.

Maxy Barnard
January 22, 2009, 05:05 AM
Does anyone get a vague Grappler Baki vibe? I don't know if it's just me but it does vaguely feel like it for me.

not even a vague one. but then i don't associate classic 80s style muscular characters ala hokuto no ken with... downs syndrome and hideous art

GARusashi
January 24, 2009, 01:47 PM
I think this maybe the first chapter that won't get me excited. It's the generic separate the heroes scenario. And they just happened to separate the two weaker characters with the two stronger characters.

Also, kind of disappointed with Sani's powers, though they are interesting. I hope when they show his "spirit" it's one of those creatures with tons of arms/hands. Similar to Netero's power in HxH.

Shurou
January 24, 2009, 06:44 PM
The level of absolute ridiculousness of some of the monsters in this series... I thought I saw it all with every new major monster, and then now we have the Regal Mammoth... How much more over-the-top can we get than this?

And what was with the GT Robot rampaging through the island? I mean, there's the obvious factor of showing how huge the Mammoth is, but did I miss another point besides it? I don't think so -_-

Finally, Toriko has once again successfully made me yearn for some of that Gourmet food @___@

Koen
January 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Lol this manga is so great I decided to catch up with. Yeah the regal mammouth, I so wanna see them standing face to face with it. What sani had, was just a child :rofl

anyway it seems they got seperated. Someone won't blame that situation :p

Tensai_Sakuragi
January 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Awesome stuff.

Sani x Komatsu is just plain hilarious. In a cute way. :p

Also, Dining Kitchen is really powerful. Instantly capture in a 25-meters range? AWESOME.

fizban
January 27, 2009, 02:48 PM
Three of the Four Heavenly Kings have acknowledged the skills Komatsu has. Zebura is in jail right now so he can't give his opinion, but I'm sure he will be dazzled by the knife skills of our plucky young chef

The Soy-Grasshopper submission is pretty clever. I hope we see more submissions like that in the future chapters

GARusashi
January 27, 2009, 07:28 PM
The small caption says all 4 Heavenly Kings gather next chapter

Probably a flashback though.

Koen
January 28, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yes the small caption indeed says zebura is on his way

Look forward to that... I wonder what monster he is

anyway sani and komatsu is funny. It's also cool to see how those heavenly kings kinda accept komatsu (sani, coco,...). They could see him as a burden or annoyance in their fights but komatsu knows to intrigue these guys :)

Maxy Barnard
January 28, 2009, 07:41 AM
really? i was more under the impression that the colour spread will gather them but the chapter itself wouldn't....

and komatsu is doing a sterling job filling the 'manta role' of the series, every time he does something its a showcase that the super powerful other characters aren't everything

Kheops
January 28, 2009, 08:40 AM
i hope see Zebra soon !!

Imitorar
January 28, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the spoilers, but for those of us who don't wanna know what happens until we actually read the chapter, could you put future spoiler posts in spoiler tags and specify that the tags do in fact contain spoilers? Doing that makes it easier to ignore a spoiler-post without reading the spoilers.

kewl0210
January 28, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hm yeah. The spoilers for Toriko are pretty long so I haven't been doing them. I'm the only one who's gonna translate them anyway.
It does say that on the cover they show Zebura on the color page, but facing away, we see his back. And a ton of other stuff happens.
But yeah, put that sorta thing in spoilers tags next time.

Koen
January 31, 2009, 07:25 PM
Lol, nice the volume's cover had zebura's back but we eventually didn't see him in this chapter. There'll be some other time for him to pop up. Anyway, it seems coco is headed towards toriko and co. Great to see how all those monsters/animals (except for one) ran away after toriko's great strength :p

kewl0210
January 31, 2009, 08:39 PM
There's a reason for that if you read the translation.
And yeah, it seems Zebura won't show up until the next arc since he's in jail or whatever. When they go to take on the Bishokukai.
I found it interesting Sani's hair was green blue pink and white. I'd imagined it as shades of orange to look like the sun. But it's cool, anyway.
This is the chapter cover, I'm trying to find a HQ version so the scanlators can put it in.
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0495_h.jpeg

And this is the volume 3 cover:
http://books.shueisha.co.jp/search/book_image/978-4-08-874632-6.jpg

I still haven't found any volume raws yet, when I do I'll upload them so someone can do a HQ scan. Plus so then there's some version of the old chapters by the one-person scan groups on mangahelpers.

Muddy
February 04, 2009, 12:44 PM
This arc continues to be awesome. Both duos are really funny. Now, for the GT Robo rundown:

"Machine #8" (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/24/18/): destroyed by Toriko.
Military Robo (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/30/16/) (top): crushed (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/34/04/) by Regal Mammoth.
Striped-beak Robo (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/30/16/) (bottom left): somewhere in the vicinity of Toriko and Rin, as evidenced by his ride (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/35/19/).
Black-haired Robo (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/30/16/) (bottom right): confronting Terry (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/33/18/).
Robo from the Sandy Beach of the Cave (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/18/12/): Wandering around - or is this smooth-haired, chained-up fellow (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/30/15/) a different one?

Joe-Joe mentions (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/29/15/) that "all four machines" are in the Biotope, so I am led to believe that the Sandy Beach Robo simply got a makeover - after all, there's probably a reason he gets a whole page to himself while the other three are all split on one.

We know the names (http://www.onemanga.com/Toriko/31/12/) of the operators (Zedoru, Zaiper, Dohsa, and Gido) but can't identify them with their robots.

Dofla
February 07, 2009, 04:51 AM
Mq Cover:

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7629/484273e8fe6aa920b80e2dbbe6.jpeg

Thanks to Jojohot.

Maxy Barnard
February 07, 2009, 06:25 AM
looking at how much three of the four heavenly kings are like... handsome, you have to wonder how much the 4th is gonna fuck up that pattern

Sexy Randal 105
February 07, 2009, 09:55 AM
*coughraohcough*

Maxy Barnard
February 07, 2009, 02:32 PM
dammit randal i was trying not to say it! XD

Muddy
February 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
Chapter 38 was awesome. I really liked the design of the Devil Athletics Playground, and Terry is kickass. I'm very excited for the remainder of this arc!

kewl0210
February 22, 2009, 02:10 PM
The chapter was good, but F-H continues to make bad mistakes in their scanlations.
Like they wrote "I can't use my powerful throttle" instead of "I can't use my power full throttle". Completely changing the meaning and now it makes no sense. And there were typos that weren't in my translation in a few other places.

Sugoi scans' are better, even though they take a couple days longer.

Shurou
February 25, 2009, 03:56 PM
Sprinting long-range at over 100 MILES PER HOUR...

Can we say badass!?

BTW, who else thinks the black robot is the vice chief cook/the controller for the robot from the sandy beach of the cave?

Koen
February 25, 2009, 05:19 PM
This chapter was for me the perfect example how taste can differ rawwise and scanwise. When looking into the raw, I was so clueless I disliked it but reading the scan makes more sense and gave me a good feeling. I love how fastpaced this is going.

Shurou
February 25, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it definitely helps when you understand what the characters are saying... I had a nice little experience with that when I went to see an opera (sung in Italian) and the person doing the superscript fucked it up to no end...

Koen
March 02, 2009, 04:27 AM
I like the flow how things are going. It seems the mammoth isn't the easy monster to catch. I look forward to upcoming quests: sani and komu will probably enter the mammoth's body. Toriko is closely followed by a strong GT robot. Toriko is surprisingly good

Tensai_Sakuragi
March 04, 2009, 03:07 PM
Loving Sani("There´s no way I can laugh"...badass) and Terry.

Kinda surprised there´s a GT Robo who could easily beat a monster that gave Toriko a run for his money. Heck. :blink

Just how powerful are the enemies for this arc?

Koen
March 04, 2009, 06:46 PM
Well I think the GT's power is determined by the person controlling it. So maybe the one who's hunting toriko (or is at least close) is that chief of the department. Or am I missing something?

Shurou
March 04, 2009, 06:50 PM
In my opinion, it's the vice chief chef Staarjun (or however you're supposed to spell his name..)... the only clue we get is that both the Toriko-chasing GT Robot and Staarjun (not to mention the GT Robot from the Sand Beach of the Cave) were seen scratching their respective heads in a remarkably similar fashion... And the fact that they are both ridiculously strong. I base that guess on the fact that Staarjun thinks the 1-millisecond response time of the GT Robots is way too slow for him.

Koen
March 09, 2009, 09:25 AM
Awesome chapter and coco is back. I look forward to this combo fight against the mammoth. Though I wouldn't count out those other monsters. Where's terry btw? And GT robots are close too, so better watch out. A huge clash is coming

kewl0210
March 09, 2009, 12:54 PM
Terry's fighting the black GT Robo so it doesn't reach Toriko's group.

I guess the one GT Robo, Sedoru is already inside it, and the Gido plans to go in. And everyone else is going to enter the next chapter, probably.

GARusashi
March 09, 2009, 04:41 PM
Terry fighting a robo all by herself? That's kind of boring. I mean all she does is run really fast. At least the Heavenly Kings have a fighting style.

Koen
March 09, 2009, 04:44 PM
Terry fighting a robo all by herself? That's kind of boring. I mean all she does is run really fast. At least the Heavenly Kings have a fighting style.

Well I would make kinda sense knowing he isn't together anymore with toriko and rin. Maybe he is holding off that GT robot. Imo he deserves a major role in this arc, so why not?

Akainu
March 09, 2009, 05:02 PM
I hope for the manga that Terry doesn't get killed - I mean he is nowhere near the level of the heavenly kings and they themselves seem to have a hard time against GT Robos.
On the other hand Terry adds some aspects to the story the other characters didn't add so I for one would miss that beast :amuse

over all I'm wondering if Torikos fame isn't bought at a high price. having so much high class characters right at the start with the heavenly kings and their counterparts there doesn't seem to be much room for strength development, then again the GT Robos are strong enough so that they still have to get closer to them and what's even more: strength is not all though it's a fighting manga ... yh, I know I talk too much :P

Maxy Barnard
March 09, 2009, 05:10 PM
Terry won't get killed, not with HER importance in the one shot and everything that's been going on so far.

Shurou
March 09, 2009, 08:43 PM
Terry's a girl??

kewl0210
March 09, 2009, 09:28 PM
I mentioned this before, I forget where, but parthenogenesis can only produce female offspring, so I'm assuming girl due to the laws of biology which this series sort of follows.
They never say it specifically, though. Course they barely ever use something to determine gender in Japanese...

fizban
March 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
Looks like Sani isn't ready to share his new toy. It's good to see Coco again, and he is bringing out the side of Sani that I like best so even better

Koen
March 16, 2009, 04:16 AM
Pretty good chapter. Certainly a prelude to great upcoming battles. So terry is going to fight too. Coco against the GT robot :) Sani, Toriko and co inside the mammoth. Thi manga is becoming more epic the more chapters are released.

Am I correct terry is going to fight that other Robot that's behind?

kewl0210
March 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah. She is. That robot seems to be Staajyun, based on the only remaining possibilities. It's stronger than Toriko using the battfre who was stronger than Sedoru, its old master, and the only other robo is Gido.

Koen
March 19, 2009, 07:05 AM
This chapter looks pretty good. Can't get any clue since it's a raw but it seems coco defeated his opponent and terry outside, toriko and co inside are going to fight their opponents. This is a great arc

Shurou
March 19, 2009, 05:03 PM
(Cam) RAW is out of order... Coco's still going at it, but he saw a death shadow from one of the four being sucked inside the Mammoth. Terry's about to face off with Staarjun. Chapter ends with Toriko, Sani, Komatsu, and Rin coming face to face with Sedoru.

Maxy Barnard
March 19, 2009, 05:32 PM
death shadow will probably be on Sani, i can't imagine it being on anyone else

Koen
March 19, 2009, 05:45 PM
Guys, when a raw did come out, it isn't necessary to post in spoilers. On the contrary it's kinda annoying if you ask me :)

anyway... Can somebody help me with all the names of the GT robots whom are there. Who's where btw?

fizban
March 19, 2009, 11:10 PM
You can't imagine the death shadow being on Komatsu? I find it hard to believe that he is never not near death when spending time with Toriko

kewl0210
March 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
K, uh, so the GT Robos were
Branch Head Sedoru (I accidently wrote it as sedoru in the original chapter, 31), Mysterious person Zaiper, the Yeti Dohsa, and Gido. Also Staajyun.
One person was replaced by Staajyun.

Gido is the huge one with the chains across him. He's the one Staajyun said "who is that" when he was named by Joejoe. He's fighting Coco.
Sedoru is the smaller one with hair shooting back and stripes on its beak. He's inside the Mammoth.
Staajyun is the black one Terry had an instinct to run away from, but then stayed behind to fight.
One other one, the mechanical military looking one was crushed by the Mammoth then Gido destroyed its core. A GT Robo only dies when its core is destroyed. That one wasn't named, he must have been Zaiper or Dohsa, whichever one Staajyun didn't replace.

Zaiper is in this chapter in person, I'm sorta starting to translate it, I'm not sure if he was in the one that got destroyed or he is just watching.
Obviously it's hard to see this version so I'm not gonna put anything out till the good raw show up. probably.

Most of this you could figure out by process of elimination, then as soon as that was possible the lines at the end started to just say who everyone was. The guy Gido beat said who he was, then Gido said "Sedoru already went inside" and the map on a previous chapter showed the striped beak high hair one was the only other one in the area.
And obviously Staajyun wasn't gonna be the one crushed until the Mammoth's foot, so you could tell them all at that point.

One unrelated thing I noticed...
How can there be a death omen on Gido if he, the operator, isn't actually in any danger? He's controlling a robot remotely... Oh well, I guess we'll see how that's possible.

Rock-a-Dillo
March 21, 2009, 09:31 AM
ah man, i really don't know why but this Manga just keep pulling me back to it!!
it's just toatally original, i don't know why i like it, but i just Love it!!! :D

Shurou
March 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
ah man, i really don't know why but this Manga just keep pulling me back to it!!
it's just toatally original, i don't know why i like it, but i just Love it!!! :D

It's the food, man... that's what keeps me coming back xD

fizban
March 28, 2009, 01:21 PM
It was only a matter of time before we saw a sword in Toriko. It wouldn't be shounen without a sword, and Coco's is indeed pretty cool looking. The strange design and coloring almost makes it look like a jewel. Sani would be jealous of the beauty of that weapon

Sani let the others go on ahead so he could take care of a few split ends (sorry about that)

Koen
March 29, 2009, 06:22 AM
Awesome chapter. So these guys are fighting with their full power. They look dangerous and almost unbeatable if you ask me. The GT robots seem to have problems. Coco is handling it pretty easy as for sani too I think. I look forward to the next chapter. The fights are cool and maybe toriko will end up meeting the last one in next chapter

Shurou
March 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
What "last one"? As far as I know, there are only 3 functional GT Robots on the island, no? And Toriko isn't about to interfere with Terry's fight.

kewl0210
March 30, 2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah, there are only those 3. Zaiper's was the one that Gido destroyed the core of when he was asking for help, the one with all the little shapes on it and zebra stripes on the beak.
There are only 3 left, I dunno where they're gonna end up. Assumably Terry won't beat the strongest one by herself but assumably she won't die because she's a main character...

fizban
March 30, 2009, 02:43 AM
Plus, people hate it when puppies are killed. Just look at what happened to Amadeus Cho's pet

Koen
March 30, 2009, 03:13 AM
My bad, I mistook myself when another GT wanted to enter the mammoth. So I probably thought there were two of them inside. Anyway sorry for the mistake. Those Gts can be really confusing :)

Maxy Barnard
April 03, 2009, 09:33 AM
okay toriko #4 is out in may, officially meaning that Toriko subscribes to the same slowass release pace that many weekly manga do. shame, bimonthly woulda equalled a faster licensing

Onomatopoeia
April 03, 2009, 09:37 PM
I wonder what Sani can't do with that hair of his...

As for the death mark, as it is right now I can't really imagine Sani dying mainly because of the newest revelation so maybe it'll be Rin. I mean she's not terribly important and it would be a pretty sad moment right?

Then again Komatsu has the death mark on him 99% of the time I bet but I don't think the same joke would recycled again...

Draagon
April 04, 2009, 03:56 PM
I wonder what Sani can't do with that hair of his...

As for the death mark, as it is right now I can't really imagine Sani dying mainly because of the newest revelation so maybe it'll be Rin. I mean she's not terribly important and it would be a pretty sad moment right?

Then again Komatsu has the death mark on him 99% of the time I bet but I don't think the same joke would recycled again...

Yeah, Komatsu shouldn't be the one to die, especially considering that he has already died and been brought back to life during the Puffer Fish Whale arc. I don't think they'd use that same trick twice...

I don't think Sani or Toriko will either, them being part of the Four Heavenly Kings and all, and major characters. So...that just leaves the probability to Rin.

Shurou
April 04, 2009, 04:33 PM
Perhaps we'll see Sani go ape-shit on his GT Robo after learning of Rin's death?

Maxy Barnard
April 04, 2009, 06:20 PM
i still think it'll be sani. being a heavenly king doesn't stop an awesome death scene protecting another person

kewl0210
April 04, 2009, 11:11 PM
I still think all four heavenly kings will show up at some point. I mean together.
And I don't think there's anyone who we like enough at this point who would die and it be really meaningful...
Technically Komatsu died and was brought back to life.

Shurou
April 05, 2009, 12:19 AM
Well, Coco himself stated that his fortune-telling can be wrong at rare times, right? Perhaps this is such a case and that the shadow he saw was merely a sign that someone will get seriously hurt but not necessarily come out dead.

Imitorar
April 05, 2009, 11:41 AM
Killing people off this early in the series, before characters have a chance to really establish themselves? In a series as lighthearted as Toriko? I doubt it, there's going to be some way of avoiding actual death, just like there was last time with Komatsu. Though I do hope that Shimabukuro doesn't make it a habit to have Coco see a death mark on someone, only for them to somehow survive. That would get rather stupid. Even if he does kill them off, which in itself would be stupid, it would be stupid to reduce your cast by one character every arc as a standard. I hope there's at least a twist to it this time. And then him not pulling this again for at least a few arcs would be nice.

Koen
April 11, 2009, 12:24 PM
What a great chapter. Coco beated his opponent but he had luck the explosion, made by the GT Robot, happened. Otherwise he would have lost and be dead. The explanations, don't know what to say :XD anyway Staajyun is close to Coco I wonder what he'll do. My guess: I think he'll leave coco as he is and probably finish off the other GT

fizban
April 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
After reading the explanation of Coco's poisons I went all cross-eyed. Thassa no good

But I enjoyed the chapter. Looks like Coco is pretty fucked right now

kewl0210
April 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
I found links to that Toriko Vomic mentioned a few issues ago.
It's a niconico video, so you need an account there still, I think.
Part 1:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6676697
Part 2:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6711187

Toriko sounds like Gintoki.

Shurou
April 12, 2009, 02:04 AM
If Coco dies by Staajun's hands and realizes that the death mark was his....

That'd be a pretty sick twist. I mean that in the bad way.

Maxy Barnard
April 12, 2009, 04:44 AM
the voice comic's pretty awesome. more and more series should get this sorta thing.

pretty much everything was perfect.

also i doubt coco will die, he's too useful, and popular.

kewl0210
April 25, 2009, 03:43 PM
This thread's getting too low.
There's a pic of V4's cover here:
http://img42.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc401&image=81573_Sans_titre-1_122_401lo.jpg

Part 3 of the VOMIC:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6778231
Part 4:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6842731

Another one comes out every week on that JumBANG show. They've just gotten to the end of chapter 1, now.

Maxy Barnard
April 25, 2009, 05:13 PM
the VOMIC is still the highlight of toriko for me now. voices add so much to it

DonLuke
May 10, 2009, 11:50 AM
Y isn't anyone posting comments on toriko anymore??? we're scalating this manga for u!!! keep this Thread active xD

Akainu
May 10, 2009, 12:13 PM
At the moment I just don't feel that which made Toriko a good read anymore.
I can't put that in words, but it goes into the direction of lightheartedness and adventure and that just doesn't fit with that "jewel meat arc", the part inside and around the mammoth so to say.

Apart from that I think it's rather weird to have 3 out of 4 heavenly kings gathering already. Thus a feeling that it might not have much room for development!? :s

fizban
May 10, 2009, 06:11 PM
It is weird for me because the previous fights were against wild creatures in the pursuit of food. Man vs Nature and all that. Seeing them go up against the evil guys in their robots (who all attack in the same boring way) is taking some of the excitement out of it.

I also was a fan of the part where they were having to deal with the puffer whales. It showed that being a gourmet in this series takes more than just gigantic muscles. We are moving away from that with the Jewel Meat battles

Cotek
May 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
I don't see how you can say a series is moving away from something with a few chapters of battles. Especially considering the vast majority of the arc was them dealing with animals and other things.

I personally like that GT Robo aspect and the stuff revolving it. I won't mind as long as there continues to be variety (which does not mean only battles against animals.)

Either way I'm still enjoying the series as much as I did in the beginning (probably more so with varoius new developments.) What I'm looking forward to most is how Shimabukuro is going to develop the Bishouku-Kai and other aspects of the world. It'd be nice to see more marine creatures for one.

Koen
May 11, 2009, 04:07 PM
This arc is definitely a good arc. GT robots vs Bishouku-Kai was to be expected when the first GT robot was to be introduced in, iirc, the whale arc. I also like how the mangaka makes these fight short but hard (in the sense our bishouku-kai have to use a lot to defeat their opponents). I do look forward to staajyun vs toriko. Staajyun is definitely strong but I expect to see a toriko we haven't seen at this moment

Akainu
May 11, 2009, 04:21 PM
Oh we sure will. After all Rin is somehow in love with Toriko if I remember right, dunno about the other way round though. Thus her "death" (I don't think she will actually die, it would be pretty dumb to have the only female character with significant screen time killed, imo) should fuel Toriko even more than what we saw in the recent chapter.

And about the 'moving away', well it's nothing more than a personal feeling (at least for me) about where the series is supposed to go. The arc was good so far and the robots aren't the problem, they can always be upgraded or changed so that it still is interesting. The heavenly kings going all out though is a whole diffrent story :oh

Koen
May 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
And about the 'moving away', well it's nothing more than a personal feeling (at least for me) about where the series is supposed to go. The arc was good so far and the robots aren't the problem, they can always be upgraded or changed so that it still is interesting. The heavenly kings going all out though is a whole diffrent story :oh

If I understand you pretty well, you're aiming at Toriko's change of direction:
- the discovery of the monster world and its deliciousness for the menu -> changed into: the fight between the bishouku-kai and the gt-robots (how was their group called again) in their fight for ingredients each with their own belief about the food order

fizban
May 11, 2009, 07:50 PM
I'd like to make a random prediction that Toriko is pretty fucked unless he starts eating the Jewel Meat that surrounds him. Komatsu has some food which could be used to heal, but I think that the fresh Jewel Meat of an adult Regal Mammoth has the potential to make it to his Full Course Menu.

Imitorar
May 11, 2009, 07:54 PM
If I understand you pretty well, you're aiming at Toriko's change of direction:
- the discovery of the monster world and its deliciousness for the menu -> changed into: the fight between the bishouku-kai and the gt-robots (how was their group called again) in their fight for ingredients each with their own belief about the food order
I won't speak for Akainu, but what you just wrote, koenosaki, is a pretty good summary of MY issues with the last month or so of Toriko. I mean, I'm fine with there being a battle between the Bishoku-kai (I hate using Japanese for this. What does the term actually mean?) and the GT Robo's (do they have a group name yet?), but I think that Shimabukuro SHOULD place the primary emphasis on exploring the world and the variety of foods that it offered. The battle of ideologies over food is a nice motivation for exploring that world, but I think that the battle should be used as an excuse for the adventure of hunting ingredients, as it was in the Puffer Fish Whale arc, and in this arc until they got into the Regal Mammoth. If that focus shifts, I think that Toriko will lose a lot of what made it fun.

kewl0210
May 12, 2009, 03:33 PM
The translation of Bishokukai is "Gourmet Food Association" which sounds so boring... So I went with Bishokukai, because otherwise it seems unclear that it's those specific guys.
GT Robo is just that. Stands for Gourmet Telexistence... They're owned/created by the Bishokukai.

I think they've kept the food things in plenty. Every chapter, almost, has some thing in the beginning talking about some technical thing. Like the big map saying what the parts of the mammoth were, or the history of the Jewel Meat and whatnot.
But this arc seems almost over, and was pretty good for the first "long" arc.

I'm gonna start working on re-translating the earlier chapters again and maybe I'll just scan in the volumes myself. Since the only one around is V1 and the quality in it is pretty bad anyway...

fizban
May 17, 2009, 12:08 AM
Nice spread, Toriko. Heh

That was certainly a weird scene. Naked Toriko watching as his intimidation form eats an also-naked dead version of himself. It looks like he needs to eat the Jewel Meat right away or his gourmet cells will accelerate too much and destroy him

So Rin gave herself the scar I only noticed in this chapter? How creepy and uninteresting. Just like she was.

Imitorar
May 17, 2009, 01:16 AM
Wow. I think Rin is actually dead. I'm surprised that Shimabukuro was willing to kill someone off this fast. Sani's gonna have a fit... But I'm interested in what's going on with Toriko's Gourmet cells. It seems that dependding on what he eats right now, his abilities will shift. If he were to eat Jewel Meat in this state, his power would skyrocket. But that's just a guess, it will take until next week for us to get enough information to tell what's going on.

Akainu
May 17, 2009, 04:25 AM
I'm going to take back what I said last week xD they are eating again (:o cannibalism) and the development around Rin's death is imo furthering the storyline. Or how else should we understand that one line from Toriko that he wants to bring the taste of death upon those guys hiding in a place far away?

Koen
May 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
Don't say she's dead before her terminal breatd is drewn :)

anyway chapter with not so many words. Then again we had a visual interaction on the other side. I look forward to that new form or stage toriko is getting into. His anger must be so big, he's really determined to finish off stayjuun. I do agree that it seems Rin is dead but I wonder what use it would have to kill a minor character? Lemme say it's good for toriko to become stronger but I wouldn't be surprised if later on she still has a life sign.

kewl0210
May 18, 2009, 12:08 AM
Well, we'll see. I dunno about Rin. It seems like she hasn't had enough development to be killed off yet, to me. But maybe she is dead.
The thing with Komatsu was he was brought back from near death, so maybe a similar thing will happen. Toriko's form of power up seems really interesting to me for a Shonen-powerup. This autophagy thing is interesting... It took me a while to figure out what the word was from katakana. But the ways Shimabukuro has been able to make the plot orient around food still is really interesting. We'll see where this goes.

I should mention, Toriko gets a full script spoiler every Tuesday, I could try to translate it, though it would take a while then I'd have to edit it for the final translation. It'd just take longer because it has contextual notes and skips some SFX. Though it does have the important ones, which as I've said do matter in this kinda series.

Maxy Barnard
May 18, 2009, 03:28 AM
unless the next storyline is about coco's death prediction thing always being wrong i can't see rin surviving... unless one of the others dies

kewl0210
May 18, 2009, 01:03 PM
Coco's death omen was right for all the low-level Bishokuya's who were outside the cave system where they were going for the Puffer Fish Whale. So it does have accuracy. What was it, wrong 3% of the time?

Gido has to die, too.
And Staajyun said he wouldn't kill Komatsu, and the main character ain't gonna die. So that's probably what'll happen, unless she's brought back to life somehow. But this'll be the finale of the arc.

Akainu
May 18, 2009, 01:17 PM
Or it will be something subtle about Toriko eatig himself and thus one part of him died... and there are even more possibilities if the death omen is not restricted to persons?

Raysen_ht
June 01, 2009, 06:15 PM
This is a great series!!
I believe Rin will survive, and that she is only out cause Toriko kissed her (at least that would fit her character).
I can almost bet that the Jewel meat will be on Toriko´s menu

fizban
June 02, 2009, 01:13 AM
The way they described the Jewel Meat makes me so hungry. I love food series so much, and chapters like this really make me glad that Toriko wasn't cut after the first 8 chapters

TitaniumChloride
June 05, 2009, 12:59 AM
I haven't read a series that made me ache for food so much since Cooking Master Boy (was anyone else drooling whenever they started describing the food?) It's such a pity we can't eat these in real life (though I guess it's better than living in a world where your food has a higher chance of eating -you-).

How long would you guys think this series can go on for? I'm thinking maybe 20-ish volumes, since the only things I see that would keep Toriko longer are the GT Robots and a possible dark side to the bishokukai or something...

kewl0210
June 05, 2009, 12:50 PM
Well, generally you can't tell how long a series will go on for at 50 chapters. Maybe One Piece you could get the jst of "really really long time" because in 50 chapters they hadn't even gotten to the Grand Line.
Toriko I feel could go on for a while because he needs to do his entire menu. And only has one thing, maybe he'll add the Jewel Meat to it.

Akainu
June 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm a little disappointed on how the death omen only was a sidenote like "oh it was on Toriko afterall". It's allright that the coward survived and also that Sanis hair was able to help Rin until proper aid is near. maybe just my impression though.

Best appearance imo was Terry riding on the obsaurs - she's totally badass :tem

Lord.Strife
June 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm a little disappointed on how the death omen only was a sidenote like "oh it was on Toriko afterall". It's allright that the coward survived and also that Sanis hair was able to help Rin until proper aid is near. maybe just my impression though.

Best appearance imo was Terry riding on the obsaurs - she's totally badass :tem

Rofl i agree terry is the best

fizban
June 21, 2009, 04:45 PM
So gourmet cells will respond differently for each person? Interesting. I agree that Sani definitely should be the one to have Jewel Meat on his full menu if it is so much more effective on him than the others.

I wonder if Komatsu has given any thought to making his own menu. He has been fortunate enough to eat some very high level ingredients, and will undoubtedly have more before the manga ends

kewl0210
July 03, 2009, 11:46 PM
K, so Toriko is getting an OVA for an anime at this year's Super Jump Anime Tour, like they did in the past with Gintama and some others

http://www.monsterup.com/upload/1246677252.jpg (http://www.monsterup.com)

Credit for that goes to Heiji-sama.

Here's a link where we were talking about it in the Jump thread.
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1436151

So it's not like a full TV anime yet, just a mini thing. It would need at least another year under its belt for that. I'll make sure to fansub it when it shows up if it's not with english subtitles when it comes out like they did last year.

Jabberwocky
July 05, 2009, 05:57 PM
Wow, Toriko is one step closer to getting its own anime.

fizban
July 05, 2009, 08:37 PM
And Terry is one step closer to getting her own full menu. I'm kind of excited to see them going after this corn; the rarity of the item means we are due for lots of twists when it comes to procuring it. Fingers crossed that they don't have to fight any robots to get the food this time. I want to save them for a later arc

Drmke
July 05, 2009, 10:58 PM
And Terry is one step closer to getting her own full menu. I'm kind of excited to see them going after this corn; the rarity of the item means we are due for lots of twists when it comes to procuring it. Fingers crossed that they don't have to fight any robots to get the food this time. I want to save them for a later arc

Honestly I hope they are done with the robots. I thought the robots were ok but I hope next time those guys show up they show up in person and do battle that way.

fizban
July 10, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hah! Not the way I would have expected they would show the gender for Terry, but there you go. Plant Hell/Hell Plant is certainly a formidable location

kewl0210
July 11, 2009, 12:55 AM
Terry should be a girl, like I said. It's not really clear what anything's coming out of in those pictures, so I dunno what you're implying.
Also the Hell Plant is a thing. Not a place. They live in the forest. That's the impression I got...
Maybe you're right. Looking through the chapter it makes sense. I think maybe you're right in that "Plant Hell" makes a better name. I'll change my previous translation for whenever Sugoi-Sans/Draagon get to it.

This chapter's got a lotta text... gonna take a while...

fizban
July 11, 2009, 01:17 AM
I only want to say Plant Hell because I've been reading Devil Defense. Everything is ___ Hell to them.

The gender thing is just based on the dogs I have owned. There were a couple boy dogs who squatted because they saw the girls doing it, but none of the girls ever lifted their legs. I'm still find calling Terry a girl since the important part of those panels was just the visual gag. Everybody knows what it means when they see an animal doing that motion, even without the pee lines

kewl0210
July 11, 2009, 01:29 AM
The Japanese of the "Hell Plant" thing has the parts in the other order, with "Plant" first and "Hell" second. So I'm just gonna write it "Plant Hell" to make it make sense, because it does really just mean "a forest of" not "a forest which as a". So I changed that line from 55 and I'm about half way through translating 56. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

So I'm gonna keep using "she" with Terry, then.
I'm gonna use "Wu" for the Jungle's name and "Wul" for the continent's name. Even though "Wool" and "Woo" could also work, so could "Uu" and "Uuru", but they all sound dumb. Kinda like how I used "Sani" instead of "Sunny" even though that's the natural way, same with Coco and Koko and Zebra and Zebura, but they haven't had romanizations written anywhere in the manga so I can keep doing it this way.

Akainu
July 12, 2009, 08:58 AM
--> chapter 56, page 4 (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/../s/map-scans/readonline/40296/5?t=1247406827) rather looks like it's a male battle wolf... at least I don't know female animals doing it like that <.<'

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
The Japanese of the "Hell Plant" thing has the parts in the other order, with "Plant" first and "Hell" second. So I'm just gonna write it "Plant Hell" to make it make sense, because it does really just mean "a forest of" not "a forest which as a". So I changed that line from 55 and I'm about half way through translating 56. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

I'm gonna use "Wu" for the Jungle's name and "Wul" for the continent's name. Even though "Wool" and "Woo" could also work, so could "Uu" and "Uuru", but they all sound dumb. Kinda like how I used "Sani" instead of "Sunny" even though that's the natural way, same with Coco and Koko and Zebra and Zebura, but they haven't had romanizations written anywhere in the manga so I can keep doing it this way.

Thanks for all of the clarifications. I didn't know so much was coming up as you translated.

As for the chapter, good stuff so far. It is great to see the imaginative side of the wild animals and plants return to the forefront. It has been a bit after the GT Robo battles.

Still, the thing that grabbed Terry has me going wtf?! XD

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think this week's chapter is little bit boring compare to past arc.

Akainu
July 12, 2009, 11:10 AM
it's just building up though and doesn't seem to be a long arc getting the BB corn at first... Toriko cutting his shoulder was a shocker for me, since that really seemed much -> unhealthy

fizban
July 12, 2009, 12:51 PM
It seemed like a lot to slice off, but the plant's roots were digging in there so he had to make sure they were completely removed. His gourmet cells can fix that in no time if they manage to get away from the immediate danger and get some food in his system.

I love the fan submissions for food. A coconut with sake instead of milk? Very cool.

This area is crazy. Toriko should have brought a flamethrower with him. Or maybe a shirt with sleeves. That might have saved his shoulder

renrutal
July 17, 2009, 11:44 PM
Capture level seems to be related to the nutritive value of the food, in other words, life-force. If you get to eat more life-force, smarter and stronger you get. Evolution demands highly energetic food, and it seems that to keep your high level body, you need to eat a lot of energy, which would be a huge lot of low level, or maybe a few high levels.

That would explain why Toriko eats a lot, and why Terry wants high level stuff.

It seems the BB Corn gathers a lot of nutriends from the high level monsters who die down below. Also, did you see the one bigger than 20 story building?

Plus: Toriko's CLV is over 90.00

fizban
July 18, 2009, 01:52 AM
WHAT, 90.00?!

I feel dirty doing that

Jabberwocky
July 24, 2009, 08:29 PM
Toriko Manga to be added to viz's Shonen Jump.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-24/viz-shonen-jump-adds-bakuman-toriko-manga

Idol
July 28, 2009, 03:09 AM
Hi Guys!!!
I think that i'm one of the few people that read toriko!
i would like to take care of spoiler of toriko,but i see with sadness that no one cares to put spoiler on 2ch...