PDA

View Full Version : Review Pat's analysis: Naruto 401

patedecarne
May 23, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi, my dear people! Well, time for a new review this week. Before, two things:
First: This chapter really got me shocked, for a long time I cannot remember anything so shocked in my life, when I readied the spoiler for the first time, and then the chapter, I almost fell from chair, mainly because of the last panels.
Second: This chapter was probably the hardest to make a review: We’re in a point where the majority of the analysis must be only assumptions; such analyses really are hard to write, but that’s the type I liked most. In case you’re wondering about the pics titles for Sasuke, Itachi and Madara, it’s something I borrowed from Gundam Seed, where some titles came with the phase followed by some character’s name, and the chapter were mainly about the character’s name in the title.. Actually in this chapter, I was able to do the same thing, because in those parts of review, the character in the picture was the most explored in each part. Then, let’s begin the fateful chapter!

Scanlation by Binktopia

Naruto 401

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/Naruto4011.jpg
Come on, at this point, I don’t even know if I’m really Uchiha Sasuke…

Yes, the explanations are coming to and end, but to test its veracity, Sasuke stepped in another key point of the story: Why the assassination’s attempts? If what Tobi is saying is truth, Itachi should protect Sasuke, not try to kill him. But in reality, Itachi never tried such act, but instead, the fight was necessary in order to destroy an inner threat in Sasuke’s body: Orochimaru! The last pieces of the puzzle are being placed correctly, and everything now makes a lot of sense.

Itachi knew that Oro’s ultimate goal was take Sasuke’s body, and the better moment to try it was when Sasuke was low in chakra and mind, then Itachi forced Sasuke to use all of his chakra hoping that Orochimaru could appears again, and finally, he destroyed him once and for all. That fight now makes perfect sense; the only reason for its existence was to get rid of Orochimaru, free Sasuke from cursed seal and to give him Mangekyou Sharingan. I’m really glad to see why Kishimoto showed Oro in the fight: in a first moment, many people here, including me, thought that such event was senseless, but now I finally understand it!

Tobi mentioned that Sasuke awoke MS by killing the closest person: I can see some contradictions here: Itachi wasn’t exactly the closest person to Sasuke, not in Sasuke’s mind, I’m sure. I think that correct term should be closest family ties here, because Itachi is his brother. Killing his best friend in order to achieve MS could be a little misunderstanding now: Shisui was killed by Itachi, but I’m suspecting that Shisui found out Itachi was a double spy, and without choice, he was murdered.

And another important thing to mention here: Itachi always was superior to Sasuke, when Tobi stated that if Itachi was to be serious, Sasuke would be dead by now: Looking at this, Probably Sasuke now can concludes that his motivations to fight wouldn’t never be able to defeat a noble man who loved his brother, and one more hint that revenge isn’t the right thing to do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/Naruto4012.jpg
Can you prove it, Sasuke? Isn’t too much for you, given the circumstances?

Again, Sasuke is questioning Tobi, and now the subject is the incident with kyuubi 16 years ago. One thing I noticed just in this chapter: even though Itachi portrayed himself as a criminal, still Sasuke gave so much priority to Itachis’s words over Tobi’s words. Even with his hatred, Sasuke still believed in Itachi’s words: they share blood ties, and such ties aren’t broken so easily. Even with everything, in the deeps of Sasuke’s heart, probably some forgotten part still sees Itachi as a caring good brother. Fantastic development about it, showing us that even the greatest adversity cannot be superior to some feelings. More than a ninja, Sasuke is a human, and his human-side has been developed so well: I like every kind of drama, and this one with Sasuke make me feel as I was in his place.

Itachi again gave some hints from the perfect ninja he was, and he lied about Kyuubi and Madara because he was afraid that Sasuke could find the truth behind his plans. That’s the first shocking revelation, as I mentioned in the prologue: From what I understand, Itachi never saw Madara as a villain or a threat to his brother, but instead, the only reason he was trying to keep Sasuke away from Madara is because he was afraid Sasuke could learn the truth! Knowing that in the past Madara was a great ninja who would protect and fight for his clan, Itachi could believed Tobi would tell the true about Itachi, trying to show him as a true Uchiha. But there’s no reason to hide one’s true objectives when this person comes to die. Unless Itachi thought that, if Sasuke someday comes to know everything, the sorrow and burden for killing the person who cared about him more than anyone else would be so big that Sasuke could even kill himself for this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/Naruto4014.jpg
Phase 1 - Itachi

Just like the brother’s fight makes sense now, some of Itachi’s actions are being explained, just like when he and Kisame appeared in the village after Sarutobi’s death. More the time passes, more I like Itachi: he just went to Konoha to show, indirectly, that he’ll protect Sasuke from everything. But his love for Sasuke broke every rule in ninja world, where love is just an insignificant detail, but not to me: He was the perfect example of ninja and brother. Just to add here, I don’t think Kisame was aware from Itachi’s goals; he didn’t care about a war in that time, and seems he’ll only follow Itachi, and Itachi’s plans were almost perfect, then he couldn’t allow that others could be aware from it.

Even is Sasuke still is screaming about Itachi’s actions, a single speech from Madara was able to keep him quiet. “You’re still alive, aren’t you?” This part was great, not only by Tobi and his calm speech, but mainly by the silence who took part in the sequence: for the first time, Sasuke didn’t speak anything, not because Tobi ordered him just like in the latest chapters, but now for his own will. Remembrances about some discussions in the past with Itachi, and finally, he understood that he didn’t lived a life like he wanted, but instead, a life that his brother planned to him. In every aspect, Itachi was caring toward Sasuke. The amount of drama here was perfect, and most importantly: it wasn’t cliché, Kishimoto made a scenario where the feelings involved were coherent and real. Just a little note here and I don’t think is important to story, but Madara mentioned that Itachi had a girlfriend. While it could be a little premature, let’s not forget that in the same age, Itachi already was a double edge spy, and at age of 13, love isn’t something that one could easily understand. A childish love could be the most appropriate term.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/Naruto4013.jpg
Phase 2 - Madara

Then, the story reaches its climax. While saying the last details, Tobi cuts the ropes in Sasuke. After his last statement, he saw a quiet Sasuke that won’t complain anymore, then there’s no need to ropes. I’m really surprised with Tobi’s actions through this chapter: if we stay in this chapter, without any external references to any of his actions, Tobi didn’t anything evil, but instead, he was the hero for now, because he’s trying to portrait a good Itachi, showing all of his actions as good to Sasuke! And such actions could be really difficult to understand at this point.

In the entire chapter, Tobi only said good things about Itachi, and he’s giving so much emphasis about the great love Itachi felt by Sasuke. If Tobi really wants to bring Sasuke as an ally, he’s in the opposite direction, because everything he’d done until now was to help Sasuke. That’s the impression I got from Tobi: He’s helping Sasuke to find an answer to his life, trying to remove all the hatred from Sasuke’s heart; and most important: to guide Sasuke to a new direction where he could live a life by yourself.
Is really Madara an enemy? I reached some conclusion about it: Tobi saw in Sasuke a strong person with a strong will; Sasuke could be the right person to rebuild the Uchiha clan. But he couldn’t complete such task with hatred. Like I said, I’m only jumping to this conclusion based in this chapter, and if Kishimoto has another plan about Tobi, he’s hiding it very well. And another hint that Tobi couldn’t be as bad as we thought, is that when released Sasuke, he didn’t forced him into some orders, but it’s like he’ll giving Sasuke a free choice in the life from now.

And as Tobi keeps explaining, we found out Itachi had another objective in his mind: turn Sasuke a hero in Konoha, by defeating Itachi, a wanted criminal. A noble goal, indeed, but when Sasukes fled from Konoha, he’d became kind of a criminal too; probably Itachi believed that after their fights, Sasuke could regain the Uchiha’s pride. To exchange his life for the brother’s sake is something that a few people in the entire world would do, so well represented here by Itachi. And about Itachi’s illness, I also think is not relevant, but I’d risk to say it’s cancer: usually when people said that one is being eating by inside, the reason is cancer, because its effects are literally like “eating inside”. And if it was really cancer, Itachi suffered even an unimaginable pain, aside all the mental ones. Sasuke, you have the best brother…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/Naruto4015.jpg
Final Phase - Sasuke

Since the moment when Tobi cut the ropes, until the very last panel with Sasuke staring at the sea, I saw one of the greatest and most dramatics moments in Naruto: in a brief moment, everything that could define Itachi as ninja was presented to Sasuke. In the beginning of the chapter, we saw a broken Sasuke, screaming with Tobi because he wasn’t believing in his words, but now, he’s a different person, from what I can see: Seems he accepted Madara’s words, and not only that, but seems he’s believing in the true nature of his brother now, and in the last panel, I don’t see a man with hatred in the eye, but a grown person who would fight for something more important than hatred and vengeance.

From all the things in this chapter, those 2 last panels were the greatest surprise: in almost 12 years of manga, I never saw such twist in any series. From some dramatic moments, with so many revelations, just in the middle of it, a little time-skip has passed with another Sasuke. Judging from his clothes and his healed body, some days had passed. And we can imply that Sasuke made his choice, and I really believe he’ll carry Itachi’s legacy. Wouldn’t have any other reason to put those words in the last panels if they don’t have any significance to Sasuke right now. In the context, such words could be Sasuke’s thoughts about Madara’s explanations.

And just like I said it was a great twist, I can say how happy I am with such ending. After read it carefully, I got a sadness feeling, because the last panel really looks like an ending. An ending for an old life filled with bad feelings and probably the beginning for a new one. If this chapter is really the ending of Uchiha’s saga (which I believe), I couldn’t ask for more: This chapter was perfectly written, showing everything needed to finish a saga, and Sasuke’s calm and serious face in the ending was worth the entire chapter.

***Key Points***

Tobi helped Sasuke
Itachi was superior to Sasuke, after all
Sasuke is completely different in the last panel

Summary

Perfection, simple that. The chapter was the best thing I’ve readied in these past months: Being the majority of the time a flashback chapter wasn’t a problem, and all the questions were answered with logic and consistency. My opinion from now is the Uchiha saga is over, there’s nothing more to add about them, and when Kishimoto said about Sasuke’s year, he was right. But from my point of view, Sasuke’s story and year is over: in these 5 months, Kishimoto was brilliant to write about Sasuke, and seems his time as an avenger is over, but not only as an avenger, but in the manga as well: I’m saying that because there isn’t any role now to Sasuke in the story: If Madara was just trying to help Sasuke, he did it very well. Congratulations to Kishimoto, great chapter with a perfect ending! Now, my only complain in Kishimoto didn’t give us not a single hint about next chapter, damn!

Well, friends, see you next week!

CupofDice
May 23, 2008, 03:15 PM
Whoa. Great review. Best yet.

I agree with everything, even changing my belief that Sasuke's story (as Kishi said) was just beginning. It makes more sense for this to be the end, especially with that poignant look on Sasuke's face. And yeah everything fits perfectly now, especially the part about Orochimaru. I also agree that Itachi thought that Madara was never a physical threat to Sasuke and that Itachi simply didn't want Sasuke to find out the truth. I also think that Madara's goal, whatever it is, is separate from Pain's, and that he simply gave Pain something to believe in so he could use him.

I am on the line about Madara possibly having another reason to help Itachi. The thing about Madara is that he said he still held a grudge against the Leaf, and the Uchiha at the time of the massacre, and that sort of goes against the personality he has shown so far. Then again I think that Madara may be feeling some regret over his actions, and feels that he owes it to the last Uchiha to tell him the truth, and give him the right to decide what path he is going to take.

alpvonkri
May 23, 2008, 03:22 PM
Good and looooong analysis, good job!!!:amuse

kalerab
May 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
Great analysis. I must say - as always.
-
But I can´t agree with you in one thing. Sasuke might be not important for the manga story but he is still important for Naruto, he won´t stop looking for him no matter what. Sasuke will find his place in the future, probably on the Naruto side.

Kaijuu
May 24, 2008, 03:11 AM
Really good job :-) Great analysis...

As the Uchiha-Fan I am, I hope we will see something about Team Hebi, Konoha or the Frogs Jiraiya sent, but "What blooms within Sasuke now that he nows everything...? Next Issue, Last Words!" let me think, that we will continue at least one chapter with Sasuke... "Last Words" could refer to Itachis words we didn't understand.
http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/393/13/
For me, it seems Sasuke understood the words, but not the meaning (until now, that he nows everything^^)

anddre
May 24, 2008, 03:28 AM
Olá Pat,

Always a pleasure to stop by and share the current chapter personal perspectives and layers after reading it from such an organized point of view as yours ;)

This chapter is really good. I agree with you that it imposes a reading pace because of its thick drama. I almost can copy a soundtrack as I went through it :p .

I have a couple of points that I would like to raise my friend:

1 - I mentioned that anywhere sometime ago. Sassuke biggest issue is that he never had any guidance. I don't know if Kishi sent some subtle message through it - as Kids without guidance and "family", meaning someone that cares about you, protection have a higher percentage of going through dark paths -, probably not, or if this is just a coincidence.

Getting into detail on this issue, Sassuke mentor is, until now, the Uchiha's massacre and his desire for revenge against its perpetror.

Looking from that perspective, Sarutobi played a real strange role on Sassuke life as he refused Itachi's pledge but didn't mentor Sassuke. Some of you people would reject this idea by saying that Sarutobi assigned Sassuke to team 7, under Kakashi's wing.

The problem is that Sassuke never saw Kakashi as his trully sensei, even when he discovered the Kakashi's sharingan, maybe because he, Sassuke, was raised under the Uchiha's pride, maybe because Kakashi, not aware of how complex the Uchiha's incident was, doesn't fill the protective role as Asuma or Guy for instance.

If we recall the whole Sassuke agony so far, Orochimaru, despite all his twisted personality, was the closest mentor he ever had.

2 - The Orochimaru battle during what could be recalled as Itachi's master piece, reminded, the first time I read it, a purification ritual. First Itachi "cleaned" Sassuke body from the outside with Amaterasu cirurgically conducted. Then from the inside by sealing Oro. If that is not enough, Itachi, even consumed by his decease and potential blindness, made himself aware of the surrounds to be 100% sure that the last white snake would be burned down.

3 - Itachi's words agains Tobi's. Sassuke fought for Itachi's words, remember that Sassuke was still hysterical during this point, because that would make his world a good one. The other possibility is to face that his life purpose was completely wrong so far.

4 - "The whole MS awakening ritual" is still very confusing to me. Did Madara, or his brother, kill any sibiling to achieve theirs? Would Itachi, just a couple of days after the Sishui incident, master the MS?

5 - Itachi being ill is an excellent and simple explanation to all the why's about Itachi's action during this arc. One open possibility, that can affect Sassuke's future on Naruto, is what has Itachi told Naruto.

Humor me for a minute here, please.

Itachi fought the good fight to prevent Sassuke from learning the truth. On the other hand, Itachi knew that there was a possibility that Madara might survive his last trap, Amaterasu implanted in Sassuke, so he needs a plan B just in case. So how do he tells Naruto? Could he have implanted some memories inside Naruto's big head during the genjutsu that would be triggered by a specific event?

6 - Sassuke vs. Itachi's strength. Danzou, alone or with the Elder Counsil's consent, had two ways of dealing with the Uchiha's incident after Sarutobi's death: Kill Itachi or Kill Sassuke. Which way did he go?

7 - The last pannels are an introduction to next chapter where, based on the prologue, is going to tell Sassuke role on Naruto from now on.

8 - Madara's real purposes?

I don't have a clue about them. He showed himself ona league of his own that I can't understand why he would need Sassuke. I can, however, understand why he would follow all Itachi - Sassuke's saga: curiosity and clan's bound.

Let's see, I can outlive almost everyone I know, I have tons of money, I am almost unstopable, I have a good dog - Zetsu, so what is left for me?

I believe the Uchiha's pride makes it mandatory that new springs must be made from a Uchiha's couple. Considering the amount of time and resources Madara has, If there was a female Uchiha around he would have spot her by now. So, imho, the Uchiha's clan ends within those 2.

9 - Concerning the statement about Itachi's girlfriend...

I read this as Madara putting more weight to his statement about Itachi's sacrificing all he once knew, believe or hope leaving the only exception to Sassuke. Because of the wars period, I think that it is fair to assume that the ninja world would get married by the age of 16 to 20. If you think about the Uchiha Clan, it is not impossible to think that the marriage would be pre arranged to keep the clan integrity. So Itachi might be already committed to some Uchiha's lady by the time the Uchiha's massacre took place.

10 - Kakashi and the Uchiha

I don't think the Uchiha's history will have a final clousure till the Kakashi arc development. I am a stronger believer that Kakashi was secretely educated about the Uchiha's ways by Obito's family.

Regards,
André

Boagrious
May 24, 2008, 06:32 AM
Awesome analysis. It changed my perspective totally.

But I still wonder if Sasuke still has any role regarding Naruto's friendship.

zuLeyha
May 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
now that's really good, like i was reading some different story at all, thanks.

patedecarne
May 24, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hehe, sorry for took me so long to responding, but only now my time get easier!

@CupofDice
Hehe, this review was my favorite! I spent so much time in it, because it really deserved!
Yes, the only thing I still couldn't understand well is Madara's help: When he helped Itachi to kill the clan, he was kind of selfish, but now, helping Sasuke is a little too much, A reasonable option that I saw is Itachi was the one who changed Madara, after seeing his way of life, maybe Madara just think that "never is too late to rebuild his life"

@alpvonkri
Well, it's really long in comparison with the others, and by the time I finished it I noticed that, but I think it was a good thing: this chapter has so many things to write and analyze!

@kalerab
I also was thinking about it, the true motivation until now was to recover Sasuke; but I'm afraid that by the time Naruto learns about Jiraya's death and Pain, he'll forget for a while his quest to Sasuke to take revenge against Pain. Probably after this, he'll take again the quest, I believe.

@Kaijuu
The litlle time skip must be explained better, because it implies that Suigetsu vs Kisame fight was settled, as well the message sent by Jiraya. The last words could be either about Itachi's secrets words or about Jiraya's message. If the first option is the correct, then I think in about half of the chapter, Sasuke will kind of meditation about such words, and definitely, he'll follow his brother's legacy.

@anddre
Haha, the thing about the soundtrack fits perfectly here: When I was reading the chapter, and with Sasuke looking at the sea, I took some anime drama OST and was great!
You're correct about the guidance: he was built into the depths of hatred and revenge, that's why I thought, until last week, that Sasuke's fate would be death; his guidance was the massacre, indeed, but a new factor came up: Itachi's true motivation and his love towards Sasuke. I'm sure Sasuke didn't expected such twist in his life, and now that seems the hysterical Sasuke is gone, he must find another light in the life, another guidance, which I believe will be Itachi from now; Could be difficult, and will be, given the fact since Sasuke was a child, his life was driven by bad feelings, but, from now, he tries to follow his brother, then at least he could give new direction into his life, ans that's what I'm really expecting.

And I agree with you that Itachi must have some B plan: Kishimoto gave emphasis in that meeting with Naruto and Itachi, that somehow, Naruto will receive its contents; such "game" reminds so much the movie "Saw 4", but I don't have any clue about what could be, because Itachi always planned a flawless plan, and told something about it to Naruto could screw up the things.

But Madara is the biggest question until now: first, he was a mega-powerful nin who could use time-space jutsus even better than Minato, so we could see a potential enemy coming, but now he's just a person that somehow is trying to rebuild some of the Uchiha's pride. Like I said before, there's the strong possibility Itachi changed Madara, this way, we can see Madara as one wo will fight for what's important, not being a villain, giving such role to Pain; But still, why Madara was showed as a powerful nin is so unclear, though.

@Boagrious and zuLeyha
I really like reviews mainly because of that! sometimes we can see things in another perspective, seeing others' personal opinions and with that, we can even understand better some missing or unclear elements in the story!

Like I said before, probably Naruto still sees Sasuke as a friend, but in the time when he found out about Jiraya's death, the prophecy and Pain, I believe his focus will change totally in the plot.

Agrias
May 24, 2008, 04:00 PM
Wonderful review patezito! Although I wasn't nearly as shocked as you were with this chapter - as for me it was only a recollection of everything Madara said before - it was still an amazing chapter.

Itachi knew that Oro’s ultimate goal was take Sasuke’s body, and the better moment to try it was when Sasuke was low in chakra and mind, then Itachi forced Sasuke to use all of his chakra hoping that Orochimaru could appears again, and finally, he destroyed him once and for all.
That fight now makes perfect sense; the only reason for its existence was to get rid of Orochimaru, free Sasuke from cursed seal and to give him Mangekyou Sharingan. I’m really glad to see why Kishimoto showed Oro in the fight: in a first moment, many people here, including me, thought that such event was senseless, but now I finally understand it!
Although I liked Itachi's way of protecting his brother here (and I liked the confirmation that Sasuke's cursed seal is gone for good forever - I just couldn't stand it anymore!), I don't think Orochimaru is gone forever. If he really is, this was the lamest way to end the story of a brilliant villain.

And I think you remember that small white cobra that was around after Itachi's death...Orochimaru will be back, and I think we'll have a bigger role later.

Tobi mentioned that Sasuke awoke MS by killing the closest person: I can see some contradictions here: Itachi wasn’t exactly the closest person to Sasuke, not in Sasuke’s mind, I’m sure.
I think that even If you hate your brother, he'll always be your closest person...on their case specifically (I dunno why and it should only be my fangirl senses screaming, hehe) I really think Sasuke cared, even just a little bit, for Itachi. I don't think "care" is the right word, but something like a deception feeling...
Remember his expression and behaviour after waking up at Madara's cave? I can't say he was happy - he was depressed, devastated. Killing his brother, even when he was thinking he was evil, wasn't a easy thing for him.

One thing I noticed just in this chapter: even though Itachi portrayed himself as a criminal, still Sasuke gave so much priority to Itachis’s words over Tobi’s words. Even with his hatred, Sasuke still believed in Itachi’s words: they share blood ties, and such ties aren’t broken so easily. Even with everything, in the deeps of Sasuke’s heart, probably some forgotten part still sees Itachi as a caring good brother.
That's what I was talking about. xD But I think Sasuke kept on believing the "Itachi bad guy" version not because he was his brother, but because this was the "official" version he grew up listening to - in school, in the streets, by his friends and sensei...
It should be kinda hard to spend all your life after a goal, then discover that it was all based in a lie...
I wouldn't believe Madara even a bit if it was me.

That’s the impression I got from Tobi: He’s helping Sasuke to find an answer to his life, trying to remove all the hatred from Sasuke’s heart; and most important: to guide Sasuke to a new direction where he could live a life by yourself.
Guiding him to hate Konoha as much as he does, that's my view on it.

Is really Madara an enemy? I reached some conclusion about it: Tobi saw in Sasuke a strong person with a strong will; Sasuke could be the right person to rebuild the Uchiha clan. But he couldn’t complete such task with hatred. Like I said, I’m only jumping to this conclusion based in this chapter, and if Kishimoto has another plan about Tobi, he’s hiding it very well. And another hint that Tobi couldn’t be as bad as we thought, is that when released Sasuke, he didn’t forced him into some orders, but it’s like he’ll giving Sasuke a free choice in the life from now.
Madara is patient. He knows that if Sasuke believes his story, he has just got a new wonderful ally. He won't have to do anything else, or force him. Forcing him would have the opposite result.

There must be some lies in Madara's testimony, but many truths. And when Sasuke finds something true in Konoha that adds to Madara's story, he'll finally be convinced by him, and then Madara's plan will be completed.

I really don't buy the nice Madara theory. Too deep for a shounen title. I believe Madara is one of the main bad guys now.

As I said before, we will only be able to understand all of this when we discover Minato's past, and what has really happened at the kyuubi attack.

And about Itachi’s illness, I also think is not relevant, but I’d risk to say it’s cancer: usually when people said that one is being eating by inside, the reason is cancer, because its effects are literally like “eating inside”. And if it was really cancer, Itachi suffered even an unimaginable pain, aside all the mental ones.
I think he was only talking about the Mangekyou sharingan's side effects, like the blindness. The panel shows Itachi coughing blood, but that has happened in the battle, its normal. We were never shown a panel with Itachi suffering before, the only thing we knew about his health was that he was becoming blind...

Seems he accepted Madara’s words, and not only that, but seems he’s believing in the true nature of his brother now, and in the last panel, I don’t see a man with hatred in the eye, but a grown person who would fight for something more important than hatred and vengeance.

For me, he's only thinking "what now?". Sasuke must be feeling very lost...I can't say he's believing in the "nice Itachi" tale already. I think now he's going to pursue the real truth..

And just like I said it was a great twist, I can say how happy I am with such ending. After read it carefully, I got a sadness feeling, because the last panel really looks like an ending. An ending for an old life filled with bad feelings and probably the beginning for a new one. If this chapter is really the ending of Uchiha’s saga (which I believe), I couldn’t ask for more: This chapter was perfectly written, showing everything needed to finish a saga, and Sasuke’s calm and serious face in the ending was worth the entire chapter.

I agree. I think the Uchiha's year is ending, and remember: we are almost in june. Till the end of the year, Kishimoto said he´s gonna develop Kakashi and Sakura, so i think it's already time for a change..but Sasuke will always be present.
Ah, the team Hebi battles too...who cares about that. Feels like filler. -_-

I'm really anxious for the next chapter, but I think Kishimoto is going to change scene back to Naruto ;_; I really wished to know what is Sasuke's next move, but i guess he's going to make us wait...

brolylss
May 24, 2008, 09:16 PM
Great review (Kinda long :P) but still great,
anyway, are we gonna live to see "Kisame VS. Suigetsu" fight?

jiro
May 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
>>Tobi mentioned that Sasuke awoke MS by killing the closest person: I can see some contradictions here: Itachi wasn’t exactly the closest person to Sasuke, not in Sasuke’s mind, I’m sure. I think that correct term should be closest family ties here, because Itachi is his brother.

1. Well, the good itachi was his closest friend and not the evil itachi which he presummed.

>>Killing his best friend in order to achieve MS could be a little misunderstanding now: Shisui was killed by Itachi, but I’m suspecting that Shisui found out Itachi was a double spy, and without choice, he was murdered.

2. This is just speculation. Im not sure if i read it in the chapter or in the discussion. According to madara - Killing Shishui was essential to complete his mission. In order to kill his sense of emotion or sumthing. Going to read back a few chapters again to confirm this.

>>Knowing that in the past Madara was a great ninja who would protect and fight for his clan.

3. This part was confusing in the 401 chapter. Itachi came to madara, its confusing because madara would help the uchiha but why allow killing the entire clan. this part still need a little explanation.
speculation:
Its from this part that i came to speculate, Madara allowed this to happen because of the possibility of Sasuke to obtain a greater power? (madara mentioned in the previous chapter about "my power- the true uchiha power". just a hunch.

>>turn Sasuke a hero in Konoha, by defeating Itachi, a wanted criminal.

4. This was supposedly the gift from Itachi. Madara just spoiled it, and for what? we'll know in the next chapter. What now?

This chapter was a masterpiece!

~Andrew~
May 26, 2008, 06:45 AM
For me, he's only thinking "what now?". Sasuke must be feeling very lost...I can't say he's believing in the "nice Itachi" tale already. I think now he's going to pursue the real truth..

i totally think so too...not!
why do you think the little time-skip was for? i mean c'mon...as i lay in the hospital the thing i've done most of all was thinking 'bout everything and everyone...so does sas'ke imho..and it would be kinda dumpish/time wastingish(°-°) if he hasn't come to a conclusion/decision yet
this scene was too epic to be as simple as you apparently think

and ehrm...the madara/tobi is a goodboyafterall thingy would be great but doesn't sound that plausible to me.. especially not when i look at this http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/364/18/

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 26, 2008, 08:19 AM
What does Madara gain from making Sasuke search for the truth.

patedecarne
May 26, 2008, 08:48 AM
@Agritas
It's good to see you here! You know, now I'm looking for an Itachi avatar to use here in MH, now he's my hero, and not only that, but Sasuke as well! No more bashings about him, Kishimoto changed my mind completely about the Uchihas, hehe!
Then, let's go:

1- Just now I cannot remember, but wasn't the little white snake burned by Amaterasu?
And I agree with you that Orochimaru was a great villain and at least a ultimate fight against could be a great ending, but now I'm thinking Kishimoto thought that "Well, with so many powerful villains in part 2, maybe there isn't any more room to Oro in the story". and I also think Kishimoto thinks that bring so many times the same villain could be boring;

2-Regarding Sasuke and Itachi's feelings, I agree with you: Even if Itachi's image was a completely bad person in Sasuke's mind, he was too immature to has the conviction: "There aren't any more bounds between me and my brother"; Some feeling still existed in his heart, but he just hid it, exchanged it for hatred feelings; he just said the same thing to Naruto in part 2, but now, that finally seems Sasuke is becoming mature, probably he'll regret in this statement, and could give one more chance to Naruto's friendship;

3-Madara.. Ah, our good friend Madara, or should I say enemy? Damn, it's so complicated at this point; Your theory has great points about Madara's motivations, but still, why show Itachi as a hero? Of course if Madara tries to force Sasuke, any plans toward him would be useless, and if Madara really wants to use him, a Sasuke filled with hatred would be way more suitable at this point, and from my POV, Madara helped Sasuke to remove any sign of hatred in his heart; And like you said, we need further informations about this subject, but from one thing you can be sure, Naruto won't ending soon, which is a great thing, hehe! there're so many things to tell and be explained that I'll give at least, 3 more years: Sakura and Kakashi's event this year, the remaining Akatsuki members, Minato's story, probably a extended saga regarding the propechy involving Jiraya and Naruto, Kabutomaru and most likely Naruto achieving his ultimate goal! The bad thing is that we may wait a little longer for more informations about Madara;

4-Like I said before, there's so much to be told, and I believe the scenario will change drastically from now, but still, with this so little time skip, Kishimoto must explain what happened with team hebi and Kisami! Not they're tht important to story, but I'm curious to see the result of Suigetsu and Kisame fight; But seeing how the things are going, we'll probably see this battle in anime, or maybe both of them turned sushi, who knows? piranha and shark could be a suitable food, hehe;

@brolylss
My thought about them is that we will only see their fight on anime; let's not forget the anime loves fillers sequence, even though this would be a hell of one;
but if by chance Kisame appears again in manga, at least he deserves a tough opponent who can match him in the huge chakra he has;

@jiro
1- yes, could be very plausible that the remaining feeling from the old days with Itachi still are important; to tell the truth, it's one of the best explanations about the MS process

2- It's strange because I cannot remember such statement about Shisui, but if could, please confirm to us, because it's a little hard to me to confirming this right now; but in the case that such statement are true, then the things about MS will become even more complicated: From everything Madara told so far, Sasuke is the closest person in Itachi's mind, then if we use logic here, Itachi only could gain MS by killing Sasuke, and still, killing Shisui was another trigger to MS, we need better explanations here too;

3-So far, I'm seeing some ping pong here: first Madara tried to help Uchiha, but he was the only one , because all the remaining Uchihas turned the back to him; then in a immature action, he helped Itachi because he was too childish; and after it, in the present days, could be that he has some regrets about everything? Or maybe Itachi's way of life inspired him; and like you said, the only thing we can do here is speculate...

4- Yes, and not only that: Madara spoiled everything Itachi fought so hard to prevent, and why exactly say such things to Sasuke? a possibility is that Madara also is trying to become Sasuke a hero, but in this case, doing such thing would mean he was trying to rebuild the Uchiha as well;

@~Andrew~
Yes, that scene was totally epic, that's why I'm so shocked about this chapter, and even if Sasuke is a little lost in his thoughts by now, at least I think his thoughts towards Itachi are settled, but if it's the case, we have two options here:
1º-he still hates his brother: so, everything in these past chapters were useless, and now Sasuke is a vagabond, without home, family or friends;
2º- He could understand Itachi's actions: Then, Sasuke will follow Itachi's wishes, where he will try to rebuild the Uchiha clan and live as a true Uchiha;
I'm sticking with the second option;

@T.D.A
One possibility is Madara really wants to help Sasuke from now, giving a choice in his life and taking all of the hatred from his heart, but in this case, Madara wouldn't be a bad person;
Or like Agrias said, Madara tell the truth to Sasuke waiting to gain his trust, and in a correct moment, use Sasuke at his free will;

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
*cough*Palpatine*cough**cough*Anakin*cough**cough*....*cough*...
[hr]
Yeah I think its like that.
[hr]
@ pat weren't you the one who hated the fact that Naruto wasn't getting any screen time and sasuke was the main focus? lol

The Flash
May 26, 2008, 03:30 PM
this is what i call a great review. Good job!
[hr]
and yes i have to agree with you. This is indeed one of the best chapters i've read in naruto manga. Well written

jiro
May 26, 2008, 09:45 PM
2-ah.. nope. not confirmed. i just read it at spoilers - must have read one of those fake spoilers. its not in earlier chapters.

3-this pages tells us that madara at that time was angry at both uchiha and the kohona.
http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/400/08/

patedecarne
May 27, 2008, 11:41 AM
@T.D.A
Yes, at first I was pissed of with this arc, and I was really hating Sasuke and everything related with him, but then, thanks to my beloved friend Agrias, hehe, I decided to give another chance to this arc, and it was just in time with Madara's explanations, and seeing by another point of view, I came to understand this arc was necessary to the plot and I just liked all the explanations, just in time when I began to write the reviews!

@The Flash
Indeed a great chapter! Kishimoto, I must say, had some great inspirations to write it; even if the chapter has some many flashbacks, the way Madara told the things to Sasuke and the last page were the point who really took my attention to this great chapter!

@jiro
I see; then Shisui's death still remains a mystery; I don't know if it will be importan right now, but at least we could understand why he was killed; if he was killed by MS, then we can imply MS can be achieve in two ways: killing the best friend and the closest person;

xallisto
May 27, 2008, 05:30 PM
Who is to say that Shisui wasn't his lover :D - not a joke

and on the gundam seed note seems like Sasuke is rushing towards an endless tomorrow :)

all in all, great chapter

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 27, 2008, 05:35 PM
shisui was referred to as a boy.

Elros
May 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Pat,

Well, reading your review makes me think about some facts …

I remember, when akatsuki was introduced in naruto world, Jiraya always had valuable information about it, like he had some sort of informant.

If you think about it, it was not the kind of information someone outside the organization would now.

When Itachi came to Konoha after the death of the third, Kakashi already now that akatsuki was planning to get the jinchuuriki (at least naruto).

After this last chapter i begin to think that Itachi, in some way, not necessarily in person, was passing the information to Jiraya.

I say "in some way" because i can't believe the fight between jiraya and itachi was fake, but we've got so many twist facts in the plot, that i can’t doubt anything anymore.

Congratulations, it was a great review.

Jenny_Bird
May 28, 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi Pat! You gonna get tired of me saying: Great analysis! \o/

Great point of view, but actually I didnt seet this chapter like you did. It seemed to "drag" too much! That's how it feels like when you expect too much, don't know.

But I liked how Sasuke argued this time, and he prefered to believe in Itachi than Madara! And his eyes in the end are completely different, but I didnt get the interpretation of that final. Have some days passed by? Is that just a figurative scene?

I think you interpretated the chapter much better than I did, that's why I like reading your review. o/

Looking foward to the next chap!! Hope Sasuke doesn't vanish yet, he's my favourite character!!

Akabeth
May 28, 2008, 12:24 PM
Your thoughts are very well written :)

I do agree with your points. Also, the reason I went back active after about a year and a half without a post is because this manga has taken a twist, and the storyline (for me atleast) is just awesome. I couldn't really care less how Kishi portray the EMS/new uber jutsus/power-ups that is to follow, I just love how Sasuke has a "different" purpose in the manga [and is still largely unknown].

patedecarne
May 28, 2008, 05:31 PM
@Elros
Yes, you could be right about it: when we think carefully about it, Akatsuki wasn't an ordinary organization, and Jiraya was gathering such informations easily; Let's remember when he was gather information in Amegakure: He fought with 2 akatsuki and was killed, and here's the great point: if by chance anyone was giving information to Jiraya, then there's no need to fight with Akatsuki members to take informations!

@Jenny
I won't! and to tell the truth, will always be a pleasure to have you here!
Like I said before, the "boom" I saw here was in the last panel, and just like you, I'm still confused about it; and regarding Sasuke believing in Itachi's words, well, blood ties are easily broken like Sasuke thought; And my greatest wish is see Sasuke following the same path Itachi once followed; Everything he did was for Sasuke's sake, and just throw off every efforts will be totally useless; And if the spoilers ar true, then don't worry, we'll Sasuke for a long time!

@Akabeth
Just like you, the greatest point I'm seeing now is the plot; in some past reviews, I wrote how the plot was getting great, and not only that, but I'm trying to focus only in the plot; in this aspect, Kishimoto is doing a great job: Of course he still lacks in some points about the powerups from the characters, but it's like he studied the most important aspects from wars and ninjas; as long he keeps with this kind of plot, I'll be happy;