PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 314)

Gold Knight
July 09, 2006, 11:09 AM
Heya guys and girls, do you know what time it is? That's right ;)

Well, I'm starting to write these things much earlier than I used to do, so I guess we'll see how long I can keep up this trend while I'm in the midst of moving...! But I'm quite glad that everybody is enjoying my chapter analyses; I've gone on and created a little place to store them all here in Scrapbooks, so if you want to look at any of my old reviews, you can do so here. (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=170.0) Please enjoy. :)

Again, comments would be much appreciated, and thanks once again for reading!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 314: The Akatsuki Invades! * * *

http://i6.tinypic.com/1zf0op0.gif

1. Sensei at Work. Ha! Finally, Kakashi and Naruto finally get to do some training together, so what better a time for them to both pose for a cover together...! I'm really liking how Kishimoto seems to be doing more and more covers lately that's relevant to the events in the chapters. We had Asuma two chapters ago and he actually showed up, and then we had Hidan and Kakuzu last chapter shortly after their introduction. I don't mind so much that Kishimoto isn't doing detailed and innovative covers as long as these "portrait-style" ones have some significance to the rest of the chapter.

Anyway, this is a nice cover I'm sure that colorists will have some fun with - it also reminds me of the third volume cover, a memorable one which you can see right here (http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/volume3.jpg). But even though Kakashi had been Naruto's sensei since the latter graduated from the academy, unlike Sasuke, he had never quite been fully "accepted" as a student until now, I think. Naruto's gone a long way!

2. A New Gaara.... When Zetsu appeared, and his black aspect drily commented that "In sadness, you have no one else," and his white half followed that up with, "the one thing you can put your faith in is yourself," I couldn't help but think we may be witnessing the second coming of Gaara here. Or rather, the psychotic Gaara, formerly an antagonist in the series before Naruto converted him to the side of the light.

After all, these words (albeit coming from two voices this time) sound very much like what Gaara went through in his childhood, and the motto he used to be known for... "Love Only Yourself." I can certainly see Zetsu being picked on or hated in his youth, and if he grew up always having to fend for himself, that would account for his words here. However, THIS "New Gaara" probably won't be redeemed, especially since he's known for his cannibalism. Or rather, it may already be too late for him. So in fact Kishimoto may be trying to replace the "old" Gaara with another villain that went through similar circumstances, but one that never strayed from his dark path, so that we could reflect on what Gaara might have become if he had never met Naruto. Which might explain why if you took away the black and white skin from Zetsu and the plant around him, he'd probably look like Gaara's twin brother. So, definitely keep an eye on Zetsu's face in coming chapters and watch for if he ever puts on a psychotic face when talking about his past... that'll probably be your proof right there.

Fortunately, if that was what Kishimoto intended to do with Zetsu, at least he gives us a completely unique character in design and gives him a new "twist" - I'm still eagerly waiting to find out more about the story behind Zetsu's two "voices."

3. A Different Kind of God. After last chapter, I was thinking that Kakuzu was probably an atheist of some kind considering he had no respect for Hidan's faith of Jashin (well, even though it was evil, it was still a religion), but in a sense, it turns out that he ALSO worships a god himself: money! Who would have figured that the big guy would turn out to be such a scrooge?

And because of that, I think Kishimoto has struck gold again with this Akatsuki pair. First, of course, we had Itachi and Kisame, the silent assassin and the loud brute. Then he gave us Deidara and Sasori, both artists albeit of different "schools," if you will. Almost every fan agree that their conversation with each other about art, though brief, was still one of the most memorable Akatsuki scenes in the whole series so far, and was enough to spark readers' imagination about how they must have worked together most of the time.

And now for our third Akatsuki pair, Kishimoto gives us a religious zealot and a moneymonger. A crazy believer and a faithless materialist.

Reminds me of the warning in the Bible: "Don't worship God and worship money at the same time. You cannot have two masters." Here's two people who obviously follow very different masters. Already my imagination is working overtime on all the arguments these two missing-nin must have had throughout their partnership with each other about faith and money in general, even though if you get right down to it, they're basically doing the same thing - worshipping their own selfish interests. Awesome.

4. So Much For 50-Ton Gates. Immediately following up on our discovery of Kakuzu's primary interest of money and his responsibility as the greedy secretary of the Akatsuki, we see him effortlessly breaking very large "Seal Gates" to the seemingly insurmontable "Fire Temple" to pieces. And he did it with only a gesture of his ring-wearing hand, which apparently turned dark to the middle of his forearm as he clenched it into a fist. Interesting. We still don't know enough about Kakuzu to know what he's exactly capable of doing right now, but I'm guessing this probably hints at some sort of similar ability as the same one Neji now can do - long-range chakra bursts. Except on a much more powerful level. Either that, or he's similar to Tsunade and Sakura in that he can channel his chakra for high-impact punches, although I hope not, because that would be somewhat cliché by now.

( Sidenote: By the way, I'm also very glad to see that Hidan and Kakuzu weren't planning on dragging Yugito along around with them, but instead gave her into Zetsu's custody. Makes sense. Although the Akatsuki better hope that Zetsu has already eaten dinner... heh! )

5. A Growing Mythology? This is just speculation on my part, but the introduction of a temple, its brotherhood of monks, and a glimpse of a statue that obviously represented a Buddhist deity of some kind in this chapter - add to all that Hidan's fanatic worship of an evil god of slaughter - collectively seem to strongly hint that Kishimoto is getting ready to reveal some more information about the world of Naruto concerning its creation mythos, pantheon of gods, and legendary monsters.

Why am I commenting on this? Because it's pretty important: he's possibly taking the story to a different stage, and we all might be finally getting some long-awaited answers soon, especially considering the Kyuubi's history and its imprisonment. Here's to hoping all of that is coming up!

6. A Hit-and-Run! Okay, so Hidan and Kakuzu visited the Temple of the Fire, and it's obvious their target was Chiriku-sama, the master of the temple and also a former member of "The Twelve Shinobi Guardsmen," or, essentially, the bodyguards of the Daimyou (Political Lord) of Konoha. Why? Did it have some significant relevance to their mission of catching jinchuuriki?

Actually, probably not. Aside from a financial gain to help assist their way, anyway. As Kakuzu explained himself, "According to our wanted list the reward on his head is high-and-mighty as well, 30 million coins."

Which Hidan, who worships murder and not money, had an objection to that - "Hey... You're not looking to make a haul here, are you? Kill a monk for something like that and you burn in hell!" To which Kakuzu, as we all know, shrugged off with a punnish proverb which showed that he wasn't afraid of something like that.

In short, I think Kishimoto is showing us right now who Kakuzu is, just as he showed us who Hidan was last chapter. Simply put, they (or at least Kakuzu himself, dragging an unsuspecting Hidan along) went off on a side mission in order to basically "rob the bank," or in this case, a temple, and benefit from catching a bounty. Mostly likely for a rival of Konoha, possibly even Kumogakure (which would be ironic), who might want Chiriku's head and skills (which they can gain from studying his remains). Of course, due to the monk's reputation as having being a strong shinobi from the same organization as a certain bearded, tobacco-loving jounin, the whole incident may have ramifications on the rest of this storyarc...

7. Time for A Second Dosing of 1000 Years of Pain, Naruto! Well, finally, the training is about to start! I'm not going to comment much here, but I just have to say that I just love these funny exchanges between Naruto and Kakashi. Naruto was so excited about training with his sensei, then seemed so suspicious when Kakashi chuckled about how he wouldn't be laughing anymore soon.

It's that kind of comedic moment between these two which is actually one of the main reasons I became enamored with the series to begin with, and also the reason Kakashi is my favorite character. So I sincerely hope that we'll be seeing a lot of Kakashi and Naruto working and training together from now on! XD

8. Transforming the Rasengan! So we get our answer about the goal Kakashi has set for Naruto anyway, to learn how to "upgrade" his Rasengan to a even more powerful attack. I'm sure it's reasonably similar to what Sasuke did with his Chidori, what Shikamaru with his Kagemane, and Neji did with his Hakke, so it all makes sense. I wonder how many of Naruto's generation have done this so far. I'd be willing to bet Ino, Shino, and Kiba all also has as well.

So now, we have a new question: what will the Rasengan be like in its new form once Naruto learns how to alter its nature? Who knows. But probably the "whirlpool" theme that goes well with Naruto's name will still be obvious in this attack, though, so I'm expecting some kind of pretty wild, chaotic attack that can send several people flying away at the same time.

Of course, we already know that theortecially the Rasengan is a much more powerful attack than most of the others have, so that might be what Kakashi means by Naruto surpassing him in a sense. Naruto is learning an attack whose power level is greater than anything Kakashi has ever been able to do, especially because of his endless chakra and endurance. Again, makes sense.

9. Son of a Legend..! Have to admit, I didn't see this coming at all. Completely took me off guard. The revelation after long last that Asuma is, indeed, the son of Sandaime, made this chapter golden for me. I always love when we learn more about some of the secondary characters in this series, and this counts as one of the best scenes I've seen for that sort of thing in Naruto. Cheers to Kishimoto for finally giving us the answer to that mystery. (It was also something I had always firmly believed too, when I realized Asuma had the same surname as Sandaime, so it made me feel pretty content to find out I was right. I'm sure all you guys who believed the same thing had a nice feeling, too.)

So, it appears that Asuma used to be kind of shun his responsibilites at some point, even going as far as leaving Konohagakure at one point, evidently deciding to follow a different, more carefree path from one that his clan had hoped for him to walk. A rebel, which could be the reason Sandaime never really acknowledged him as his son from what we've seen so far in the series. Likely, Asuma was somebody who felt that being the son of the Hokage was more trouble than it was worth, and had no desire to follow in the same footsteps or to be recognized as a member of the Sarutobi clan. There's a bit of a similarity with Konohamaru there, although the kid does want to be Hokage, so somewhat different, as well.

But all that seems to have come to an end now. Judging from what we heard him say here, I have a feeling that Asuma himself is about to take on a much more important role in the series, and carry his clan on his shoulders from here on, hoping to make his father proud in the afterlife.

Anyway, with the capture of Chiriku, probably somebody Asuma used to know from his days with the "The Twelve Shinobi Guardsmen," it's all but confirmed that Asuma and probably Team 10 as well will probably be heavily involved in the next storyarc. Of course, we still haven't heard about what Asuma wanted to tell Kakashi. Maybe it was that he had decided to try to become more of an active leader of the village and to become the head of his clan, and possibly deciding to take a journey of some sort in order to improve himself and his skills? Could be why he didn't want to tell Kurenai, since he didn't want her to know yet that he was about to leave the village for a while.

And then there's the Konohamaru Factor. (By the way, I believe that Asuma is probably Konohamaru's uncle.) Kishimoto always seemed like he was intending all along to make Naruto's understudy a major part of the story at some point. This may be the beginning of a more in-depth look at the Sarutobi clan to the point where the readers will be able to relate more to Konohamaru more when he finally shows up in a more significant role (probably not in Part 2, though.)

10. A Familiar (And Funny) Sight... I know it's not just me, but seeing a bloodied Hidan flat on his back and a stake through his chest at the end of every victory just strikes me as humorous. Evidently Hidan doesn't really care about looking dignified during a battle, he just wants to win.

Some people have complained that they hope this is the end of the "Hidan teases" where we see Hidan and Kakuzu going into battle and miss the bulk of how Hidan defeats their opponent, and claimed that this was a poor chapter because of Kishimoto doing that again. Please. This was a GREAT chapter. Yes, I'd like to see how Hidan defeated Chiriku, but at the same time all we need to know right now is that Hidan usually employs the same sarcifical tactic to win, and using this, he's able to beat some of the most powerful shinobi in the world.

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. Awesome chapter. From our new insights into Kakuzu and Zetsu to the new info on Asuma and the significance of his "Fire" symbol and the revelation of his relation to Sandaime to learning about what Naruto is trying to do in his training, this was a very detailed chapter. Had readers buzzing aplenty. The plot is really building up, too. I'm already liking the start of this storyarc more than I did the beginnings of the last two.

Predictions: We finally find out how Kakashi intends to train Naruto. Kishimoto knows when it's time to explain, it's been three chapters now.

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as much as I did.

destinator
July 09, 2006, 11:20 AM
( Sidenote: By the way, I'm also very glad to see that Hidan and Kakuzu weren't planning on dragging Yugito along around with them, but instead gave her into Zetsu's custody. Makes sense. Although the Akatsuki better hope that Zetsu has already eaten dinner... heh! )

Haha so true...that made me really laugh...love your 10 comments and great as usual =)

La_Muerte
July 09, 2006, 11:25 AM
i enjoyed it as much as you did too, and i love how kishimoto is bringing back the characters so we can look more into their life and what they are like (i.e. asuma and kakuzu), for me i beleive the next chapter kakashi and naruto will do some training only to get interrupted by the news that Chiriku the monk was captured and then theyll head off with team 10 to take down akatsuki

Gold Knight
July 09, 2006, 12:07 PM
Weird; I got a PM saying my link to my Ten Comments section led to a completely different page. I figured it out, though, I got the URL wrong. In any event, it's been fixed, sorry about that! Should lead you to the right place NOW... XD

And thanks for the comments, guys! :)

white silver
July 09, 2006, 12:09 PM
[b][font=verdana][size=1][color=red]GK you did it again!

-- Why isn't this in the 10 commandments section?

Raine_Joybringer
July 09, 2006, 12:11 PM
This time I'll put more of an effort into replying. ^_^ (To make up for my own lack of analysis, but you know why that is...)

1. This training has really been long overdue for Naruto. As much as I love Kakashi, I reckon he's failed a lot to both Naruto and Sakura in terms of being a teacher. He taught them a few things in the start, but after that Sasuke took first place over everything. It may even be that Kakashi is now teaching Naruto out of guilt...

2. You're right about Zetsu. His personality would definately explain why he is solo for so many things, not just because of his techniques which so many people think is the reason why. This actually gets me wondering if we'll ever get to see any backstories for the Akatsuki. We've seen Itachi's (albiet from Sasuke's perspective) and know about Sasori (again, albiet from Chiyo), but nothing much for the others. I would love to know about Zetsu's past... actually, I'd like to know about Kisame too. Kisame's a funny one in a way if you look at it in relation to Zetsu. You'd think they'd both be similar. *shrug*

3. This pair... seriously they're awesome. I never really picked Kakuzu to be a scrooge, let alone the treasurer for the Akastuki! Actually, now we know more about the structure of the group apart from there just being a leader. I always wondered how they'd survive monetary-wise. It gives a reality to them, that's for sure. A lot of other stories just have the group but never explain how they get by. I like it.

4. When I first saw Kakuzu stop the Nibi's paw, I thought he was strong, so I'm not as much surprised by him knocking the gates down. At least we get an idea about him in terms of power and not just his personality.

:< Zetsu had better not be having kitty for dinner...

5. I think with this chapter we'll be truly plunging head-first into the world of Naruto. We've always had a basic knowledge of the structure of the nations, mostly the ninja systems, but never anything much more. Now we're starting to get an idea of the said mythology. I hope we get to learn more about the Bijuu and their roles in the story, and if there is more than just those beasts in the world.

6. Like I said in the reply to the 3rd comment, we're seeing more of a structure to the Akatsuki and how they manage to operate and survive in a world like Naruto.

7. Kakashi and Naruto are a weird combo, I'll give them that. I'm really excited to see what Kakashi will try to teach, and also hopefully he'll further see his mistakes in putting Sasuke over Naruto. If Kakashi had put that much effort in Naruto, I wonder what would have happened to the plot... things would be so much more different. In any case, I'm hoping to see big things as a result of this training!

8. I agree on the "whirlpool" theme. I hope that Naruto will learn a lot about converting his chakra into different "natures". A Rasengan of varying elements would be awesome to see.

9. I can't express how happy I am to finally have Asuma's relations to the 3rd finally confirmed. It's been a long time coming. I like your analysis on his past choices there and I totally agree. It most probably would have been like that. Asuma had a lot to live up to in his old man's shadow. I'm glad at least that we're starting to what will hopefully be a larger backstory to his character. It could also explain the ways he treats his team (such as when he told Chouji he should be training more).

10. Hahaha... you know I find that funny too. Hidan must get a lot of jokes at his expense, seeing as he's such a religious nut AND his jutsu ends up with him sprawled out on a floor in a death-pose. Psuedo-martyr. You know, it's hard to explain WHY it's funny... it just is o_o

Anyway, yay! ^_^ I'm giving this 4/5 myself (-1 point for - 1 Yugito).

Rampages
July 09, 2006, 01:17 PM
At long last we get more Akatsuki and secondary characters than Naruto! This arc is seriously very promising. I thought the save sasuke arc was very lame, even if we did see Oro and Sasuke. It reminded me of the fillers.

But now...now, we get to see akatsuki murdering guardians, slaughtering monks and kidnapping jinchuurikis! I am soooo satisfied! :D

Oh and Raine, whats up with Yugito ?

Gold Knight
July 09, 2006, 02:06 PM
[b][font=verdana][size=1][color=red]GK you did it again!

-- Why isn't this in the 10 commandments section?

10 Commandments? LoL! Anyway, because each time I post a new Ten Comments thread, I'd rather for it to be on the front page of the Manga Scrapbooks for a week at least, because a lot of people still evidently haven't gotten the hang of finding child boards on this forum. I got about five PMs regarding the whereabouts of my old threads, as well as two comments in the 313 Comments thread. I have to admit though, I LOVE you guys for noticing that I moved all my Ten Comments. That attention makes me want even more to write Ten Comments every week now, and helps me know I'm not just wasting my time writing them. Thanks so much :)

This time I'll put more of an effort into replying. ^_^ (To make up for my own lack of analysis, but you know why that is...)

Yes! More chapters for Two-Tailed Angel! ^_^

1. This training has really been long overdue for Naruto. As much as I love Kakashi, I reckon he's failed a lot to both Naruto and Sakura in terms of being a teacher. He taught them a few things in the start, but after that Sasuke took first place over everything. It may even be that Kakashi is now teaching Naruto out of guilt...

Yeah, quoted for truth. Kakashi looked like he felt absolutely awful after he found Naruto's body after Sasuke had left at the Valley of the End, and it was probably then that he realized that he had been neglecting him too much. But at the same time, let's not blame Kakashi too much. We know Team 7 was the first ever squad that Kakashi was assigned to mentor, so he had to learn the hard way that a teacher should never be biased towards a single student. Let's be happy, though, that at least the neglect did allow us to be introduced to another similarly memorable sensei foir Naruto, Jiraiya.

So, in a way, I sort of like how things turned out, though. Besides Jiraiya's introduction and role in the series, also that it shows that Kakashi isn't a stale character; he develops as much as anybody else, and in this case, for the better. In Part 2, he's come to realize Naruto's potential and also his tendency to make the best out of any situation happen. He seems willing to admit that he was wrong about Naruto and to atone for his lack of attention before by training him now and putting his confidence in him. And that to me makes him even more firmly entrenched in my mind as a favorite character.

2. You're right about Zetsu. His personality would definately explain why he is solo for so many things, not just because of his techniques which so many people think is the reason why. This actually gets me wondering if we'll ever get to see any backstories for the Akatsuki. We've seen Itachi's (albiet from Sasuke's perspective) and know about Sasori (again, albiet from Chiyo), but nothing much for the others. I would love to know about Zetsu's past... actually, I'd like to know about Kisame too. Kisame's a funny one in a way if you look at it in relation to Zetsu. You'd think they'd both be similar. *shrug*

I see Kisame as probably somebody who had always been a bully, so didn't really care about how others reacted to him. He used his strength to his advantage to become a member of one of the elite jounin groups of the Mist. Based on his appearance, also, I'm guessing he comes from a clan known for their shark likeness so the Mist were probably used to his family, just as Konoha is used to a clan with white eyes in the Hyuga. :)

3. This pair... seriously they're awesome. I never really picked Kakuzu to be a scrooge, let alone the treasurer for the Akastuki! Actually, now we know more about the structure of the group apart from there just being a leader. I always wondered how they'd survive monetary-wise. It gives a reality to them, that's for sure. A lot of other stories just have the group but never explain how they get by. I like it.

Yep, the Akatsuki organization definitely has a feel of realism to it now. I agree. Though I had always figured that the "Leader" was probably a Kage from a country, so they would be fine financially. But now it appears that might not be the case. I guess they REALLY all are missing-nins. So that also makes me rethink my theory of the Leader being the Kage from the Cloud Country. Also, Yugito's capture; I don't think the Leader would have so much trouble if he actually had access to the second-best shinobi in Kumogakure. So I guess he isn't from there (or at least, not the Kage.)

4. When I first saw Kakuzu stop the Nibi's paw, I thought he was strong, so I'm not as much surprised by him knocking the gates down. At least we get an idea about him in terms of power and not just his personality.

He seems to be a juggernaut, that's for sure. He didn't even have a scratch on him from the whole Nibi hit.

:< Zetsu had better not be having kitty for dinner...

Haha. For some reason I knew you'd comment on that ;)
Was just joking, tho... the Akatsuki wouldn't trust him otherwise. He's probably done it before. And I bet the only reason Zetsu wasn't with Sasori and Deidara when they went to capture Gaara was because Zetsu doesn't like travelling through sand. But note that Zetsu was right on the border when they came back. I'm guessing he's like the "back-up" and "scout" and is always travelling with a pair on an important mission.

5. I think with this chapter we'll be truly plunging head-first into the world of Naruto. We've always had a basic knowledge of the structure of the nations, mostly the ninja systems, but never anything much more. Now we're starting to get an idea of the said mythology. I hope we get to learn more about the Bijuu and their roles in the story, and if there is more than just those beasts in the world.

Yep, that is what I'm hoping for!

7. Kakashi and Naruto are a weird combo, I'll give them that. I'm really excited to see what Kakashi will try to teach, and also hopefully he'll further see his mistakes in putting Sasuke over Naruto. If Kakashi had put that much effort in Naruto, I wonder what would have happened to the plot... things would be so much more different. In any case, I'm hoping to see big things as a result of this training!

Already commented on that :)

8. I agree on the "whirlpool" theme. I hope that Naruto will learn a lot about converting his chakra into different "natures". A Rasengan of varying elements would be awesome to see.

And scary for his opponents. XD --- I wonder if the "second stage" of the Rasengan will be something that Kabuto won't be able to heal himself from.

9. I can't express how happy I am to finally have Asuma's relations to the 3rd finally confirmed. It's been a long time coming. I like your analysis on his past choices there and I totally agree. It most probably would have been like that. Asuma had a lot to live up to in his old man's shadow. I'm glad at least that we're starting to what will hopefully be a larger backstory to his character. It could also explain the ways he treats his team (such as when he told Chouji he should be training more).

Yeah, because he realized his clan was right that he was neglecting his training? Probably. It'd also probably explain why Asuma has never really appeared to be as powerful as either Kakashi or Gai in the series so far ( I mean, chakra-extending his knives are cool, but it's not really on the same scale... ) but in the last 2 and a half years, I bet he's learned some new tricks. I also wonder if he's going to summon Enma, the Monkey King, someday himself. If he's going on a journey, maybe he'll come back with that summoning XD

10. Hahaha... you know I find that funny too. Hidan must get a lot of jokes at his expense, seeing as he's such a religious nut AND his jutsu ends up with him sprawled out on a floor in a death-pose. Psuedo-martyr. You know, it's hard to explain WHY it's funny... it just is o_o

XD Looks like we're thinking the same thing there.

Anyway, yay! ^_^ I'm giving this 4/5 myself (-1 point for - 1 Yugito).

In response to Rampage's question, Raine writes a fanfic about a Nibi jinchuuriki of her own creation, Kita, and the fanfic is called "Two-Tailed Angel" which you can find the link right here in Scrapbooks. She's hoping to learn more about Yugito, the canon Nibi jinchuuriki, for research. ;)

glasskatana
July 09, 2006, 02:23 PM
Great comments as always. I tend to look to your comments to see if I can figure out what Kishimoto is thinking. Rarely do I disagree with them. I'm also glad to see I wasn't alone in my struggle to find your other comments. Good job Gold Knight :thumbs

Gold Knight
July 09, 2006, 02:53 PM
Great comments as always. I tend to look to your comments to see if I can figure out what Kishimoto is thinking. Rarely do I disagree with them. I'm also glad to see I wasn't alone in my struggle to find your other comments. Good job Gold Knight :thumbs

No problemo dude

Raine_Joybringer
July 09, 2006, 09:52 PM
:D Hehe, thanks for the comments back, and answering the question of Rampage's. I had really been hoping for more so I could have done some research... but looks like I'll be having to stick to my own imagination. It's funny that Yugito's appearance came at exactly the right time since I'm ending the chuunin exam arc and that's where the big stuff is happening.

Gold Knight
July 10, 2006, 05:40 AM
:D Hehe, thanks for the comments back, and answering the question of Rampage's. I had really been hoping for more so I could have done some research... but looks like I'll be having to stick to my own imagination.

Maybe that's for the best, though. ;)

Dragonzair
July 10, 2006, 05:58 AM
Enjoyed reading this very very much <333

Especially the comments on suma. BTW. If you get on msn, you can read all mine and Mentos' crazy theories about Asuma now. :wtf

Arsonist
July 10, 2006, 06:33 AM
Enjoyed reading your comments as always. :thumbs

Gold Knight
July 10, 2006, 07:20 AM
For me, some of the revelations in this chapter bring about some ideas from the previous few.

Before we thought when Kurenai entered the hospital room that Asuma was going to talk about their possible relationship. However with the knowledge of Asuma being a guard of the Lord of the Country of Fire it feels more likely to me that he was going to talk to Kakashi about it but stopped when Kurenai entered the room because she is maybe forbidden to know something about the followers? This could be because she is somehow related to this Lord of the Country of Fire or maybe IS the Lord of the Country of Fire.

However, if this is true it could be that Asuma is kinda like Kurenai's guardian which is why they always hang together and Asuma was talking to Kakashi because he is worried that Akatsuki might be coming after Kurenai but stopped when Kurenai entered because he didnt want to worry her?

Just had to quote Eldanis' post here from the 315 Predictions Thread. He may be onto something here.

Anax
July 10, 2006, 07:40 AM
First and foremost don't you dare think we don't care for your comments!! Sometimes we may not have something to say, but we do follow them... at least I do :tem Now, on to the commentary of the comments ;)

1.) It is indeed a moment at least I've been waiting for, to see such a cover! Especially seen in comparison to the volume 3 chapter, it feels like an antithesis: Kakashi and Naruto aren't bored! The former isn't compelled to read Icha Icha Paradise instead of paying closer attention to the training at hand, and the latter looks all energetic and... fresh! Eager to take on this new training, rather than deal with it as he would with a chore. Since this is the cover we're talking about, I too like how Kishi has been doing his covers lately. They seem to emphasize the (re)appearance or reunion of certain characters, and they have an overal good vibe to them :amuse

2.) So far Kishimoto hasn't failed us, everyone gets a backstory when the time is right. Usually this happens during an important/epic fight like Ino vs Sakura or Naruto vs Gaara. Kishi has a great way of portraying each character's emotions and drive by showing us glimpses of their backgroung before, during and after their fights. I'm guessing that like Sasori, all Akatsuki will have to face their past and meet their judgement according to their karma, when the time comes. So, when it's Zetsu's turn to fight, we'll learn all about him and who knows, he might turn out to be loved by many fans, like Sasori.

3.) Although I embraced this revelation as I would any other, it was not what I expected to say the least. So, Kakuzu is out there to make a buck or two (or some millions) and that makes him one of the more realistic bad guys seen in manga. He also makes a great couple with Hidan as you said already, and to be frank, I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out... So we have the religious freakshow who sacrifices himself every time on one hand, and the greedy treasurer who takes detours hunting down people for bounties on the other. I wonder why does Hidan put up with so much mocking of his relegion... guess I'll have to wait and see.

4.) Again I missed something eye poking, this time it being Kakuzu bringing down those gates with a motion of his hand (and the use of his ring?). I guess manga are doing this to me: 50 ton gates just don't seem strong enough to hold so much as a kitty anymore... Anyhow, I hope Kakuzu isn't a juggernaut (the X-Men one) because he's not that built and it would be a let down as far as Naruto physics goes. Perhaps he has psychic powers, in that he can move things without touching them, using his chakra. Perhaps there's more to those rings than we originally thougt... after all Tobi did make a whole deal out of it. Anyhow, so long as he isn't abnormally strong due to muscle mass I'll embrace any explanation Kishi gives :tem

5.) It seems that this arc is going to be more serious that what we've seen so far. Kishi has also shown us two new different places (part of Kumogakure no Sato and the Fire Temple) in the span of merely three chapters. Perhaps he IS taking Naruto to a whole new level! Still, it sounds kind of far fetched, with the most plausible scenario in my mind being that he's simply trying to get us hooked on the new arc from its very beginning. One way or another, now or later, I've always expected Kishi to give us the backstory of the bijuu. I think once he mentioned Kyuubi as one of the characters, and if you think about it, he represents Naruto's dark side, the little Devil whispering in his ear. Concerning the religions and mythology of Naruto's world, however, I'm unsure. It seems heavy to introduce so many new elements to the story now, although it could be done gradually I guess. Kishi would have to be extra careful anyhow, since until now we hadn't seen any sort of holiday, festivities, rituals, temples or priests/monks...

6.) On this one I'll nod in agreement, it does seem like Kishi decided to show us what happened in this detour so we learn a bit more about Kakuzu. Of course along with that he established the new Akatsuki as yet another lethal duo, despite their differencies in way of thinking, acting and fighting. At the same time, Chiriku's death is bound to have set in motion the gears of fate by causing a chain reaction which will bring Asuma under the spotlight for this arc (DZ rejoice). Personally, I bow to Kishi's storytelling skills :tem

7 & 8) First and foremost I have to take this off my chest: I don't think Naruto's ultimate jutsu will be an improved Rasengan for two reasons.
a) Because Kakashi told Naruto he'll be developing an ultimate jutsu to call his own. Chidori is Kakashi's jutsu and Rasengan is the Yondaime's, so it couldn't be any of the two or even an improved version.
b) Chidori Nagashi was indeed cool and an upgrade to Chidori, but it could be considered equal to Naruto's Oodama Rasengan or "that" jutsu he probably developed with Jiraiya or even an upgraded version of Rasengan Naruto will probably create now as practise for the real thing. What? Yes, you heard me right, if an improved Rasengan is all Naruto will be ablo to create, what about Sasuke's "that" jutsu? When he nearly used it, his words had the kind of final tone the words of someone talking to the people he's about to kill have...

On another note I don't think Kakashi is training Naruto out of guilt nor do I think he thought Sasuke of higher potential than him, not for a second! The way I see this, Kakashi found himself more "compatible" with Sasuke, as he found Jiraiya more compatible with Naruto. I think they talked about that, that day up in the roof of the hospital or maybe even before that (sadly I don't have my manga archive with me now). Anyhow, I believe Kakashi again thinks that he is a better suited teacher for Naruto now, than Jiraiya, probably because he has a way to speed things up or because he thinks Jiraiya's training would emphasize on other aspects of Naruto's fighting...

9.) Again, I shall nod in agreement... who could have seen this coming? Well, whoever paid attention to surnames you might say, but I'm known to miss eye poking stuff, I can't be expected to remember Saru's surname, much less Asuma's... Anyway, the point is, it seems Asuma will be one of the main characters now! Since Naruto takes place in such a well fleshed out world and all its people are so realistic (in their own way) I was really hoping Kishi would take the time to evolve the characters we've known and loved for so many years, instead of introducing new blood all the time. Asuma, Shino and Neji are three characters I've always wanted to see more of, so this turn of events made me really glad! Asuma just has to be strong to fight the Akatsuki and avenge the death of Chiriku. Now if he could even summon Enma, then perhaps we're in for a treat ;)

Let me say one last thing about Asuma: The scene at his father's grave was very touching and dramatic, even before we found out he was Saru's son, because it had this Kakashi-Obito feeling to it. Also, the way Asuma put out his smoke reminded me of dark detective stories...

10.) We just saw Hidan perform his ritual for the second time and we are already bored of it, imagine poor Kakuzu! As for looking dignified, I don't think Hidan cares, though I'm saying in a different way. I think Hidan is too religious to care! A lot of religions reduce the faithful to maggots in front of an omnipotent God and I wouldn't be surprised if the Church of Jashin is like that! So, I think Hidan only cares about pleasing his God by closely following the rules of his sect, which from what we've seen so far include wrecking havoc and self sacrifice... literally! Well, that's all I have to say about Hidan.

Lastly
Some people have complained that they hope this is the end of the "Hidan teases" where we see Hidan and Kakuzu going into battle and miss the bulk of how Hidan defeats their opponent, and claimed that this was a poor chapter because of Kishimoto doing that again. Please. This was a GREAT chapter. Yes, I'd like to see how Hidan defeated Chiriku, but at the same time all we need to know right now is that Hidan usually employs the same sarcifical tactic to win, and using this, he's able to beat some of the most powerful shinobi in the world. ...and I couldn't agree with you more!! Actually not only I haven't felt "teased" by Kishi for the past few chapters, I've also been glad that the chapters are so full of information and that they are actually progressing the story!!

Closing this post I'd like to confess doing something I've never done before... I wrote this post in the form of segments through the night. Why? I don't know... I've been interupted many times and came back to the post hours later, so if my thoughts seem fragmented, if it looks like my chain of thoughts is broken and the rings scattered, you know why ;) And yeah, I could change the post but I choose not to :amuse

ShgnLW
July 10, 2006, 07:44 AM
Heheheh, I knew that Asuma's dad was Sandaime :p I said it to a lot of people but they thought it was not true...

...I was right... again :D

BTW> Good review again, Gold Knight.

Gold Knight
July 10, 2006, 09:20 AM
@ Anax, just now I was originally just going to glance over your post because I was about to have to leave my house, but you hooked me; I had to read the whole post, and I have to say, you brought up some excellent points. My favorite comment was actually your last one about Hidan and the tendency of religions to reduce the faithful to maggots, so of course Hidan wouldn't care about being dignified. Awesome comment.

Anyways, I'll come back later to post more of a reply, but I had to say thanks for writing such a great post in response to my Comments. :)

@ ShgnLW - yeah, I actually don't really understand why some people were so against Asuma's being related to Sandaime in any way. They had the same surname, for goodness' sakes! How many Sarutobi clans are there in Konoha, after all? XD Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

Be back later guys, and thanks all for reading!

venicia777
July 10, 2006, 11:22 AM
i love your analysis- all of them. unfortunately i dont usually type that long. But my post in the discussion thread on asuma and why he was revealed and his connection to the monk is pretty much shared by you. at least i am not the only one thinking that.

jabbament
July 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
What's Sandaime's full name, Paladin? :s

I think a lot of people assumed that it was his given name because of the whole, "Sarutobi-Sensei" thing. I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but were there any other times when -Sensei was used with the surname? Iruka-Sensei, Kakashi-Sensei, and Mizuki-Sensei (I believe its his given name? I tried looking up but couldn't find...but I got lazy and gave up quickly), Gai-Sensei, etc.

I think Sarutobi-Sensei is one of the rare times the surname is used, which might be one reason people wouldn't believe it. Hell, Sarutobi Asuma and [whatever Sandaime's other name is] Sarutobi was still possible.

I never gave it much thought...and the main reason why I hate Hidan is because I don't like religious fanatics in the slightest. Infact, they piss me off, like Anax said:

A lot of religions reduce the faithful to maggots in front of an omnipotent God and I wouldn't be surprised if the Church of Jashin is like that!

So, if we don't see any more of his rituals for a while (unless we actually see him fight), I'll be happy.

kadoman
July 10, 2006, 03:30 PM
Great comments as per usual GK. I agree with everything.

My only disappointment was that we still didn't get to find out anything about what Naruto's training will entail (Kishi's blatant stalling tactics are starting to wear thin with this fan).

However, I'd just like to add that I am enjoying Kishi's obvious enthusiasm for steering Naruto towards more complex and dare I say, sinister themes - killing the monks in the temple, Hidan stabbing himself in a weird religious ritual, Kakuzu banging on about the importance of money, Zetzu saying believe in no-one but yourself (now there's a sentiment Itachi would agree with) all push the levels of acceptability in a shonen manga and as I've said in the Chapter 314 discussion, surely some of this is clearly too advanced for your average 12/13 year old?

I wonder if Kishi is be allowed a lot more rein here, if so - I welcome it!

P.S - it's really weird but everytime I see Ten Comments I think I'm seeing Ten Commandments! :D

glasskatana
July 10, 2006, 04:31 PM
My only disappointment was that we still didn't get to find out anything about what Naruto's training will entail (Kishi's blatant stalling tactics are starting to wear thin with this fan).

Yeah, come on Kishi, we can take whatever you throw at us. So please, throw it at us.

However, I'd just like to add that I am enjoying Kishi's obvious enthusiasm for steering Naruto towards more complex and dare I say, sinister themes
<------------------Now all we need is the absolutely insane killer with the crazy smile...like my avatar.

P.S - it's really weird but everytime I see Ten Comments I think I'm seeing Ten Commandments! :D

my friend, you are not alone. :p

zerocharisma
July 10, 2006, 04:51 PM
Sir Gold Knight, I now have another reason to frequent the site, and Naruto in general. Your comments were very insightful, taught me not only about Naruto but about storytelling in general. Thanks!

z.

ibra87
July 10, 2006, 05:19 PM
Great comments as usual, but I'm really sorry since I won't comment every comment of yours because I really don't feel like moving my fingers a lot atm :p Anyway about the statue, if you have read the theory about the uchicha and dark something theory, you would see that it's a tengu statue, the same one that was in the uchiha temple sasuke visited ;)

Gold Knight
July 10, 2006, 08:35 PM
Okay, back to Anax's comments!

First and foremost don't you dare think we don't care for your comments!! Sometimes we may not have something to say, but we do follow them... at least I do :tem Now, on to the commentary of the comments ;)

^_^

1.) It is indeed a moment at least I've been waiting for, to see such a cover! Especially seen in comparison to the volume 3 chapter, it feels like an antithesis: Kakashi and Naruto aren't bored! The former isn't compelled to read Icha Icha Paradise instead of paying closer attention to the training at hand, and the latter looks all energetic and... fresh! Eager to take on this new training, rather than deal with it as he would with a chore.

Yep, agreed on the extra energy and eagerness here. "OK, we got all the studying done, time for the exciting stuff!"

2.) So far Kishimoto hasn't failed us, everyone gets a backstory when the time is right. Usually this happens during an important/epic fight like Ino vs Sakura or Naruto vs Gaara. Kishi has a great way of portraying each character's emotions and drive by showing us glimpses of their backgroung before, during and after their fights. I'm guessing that like Sasori, all Akatsuki will have to face their past and meet their judgement according to their karma, when the time comes. So, when it's Zetsu's turn to fight, we'll learn all about him and who knows, he might turn out to be loved by many fans, like Sasori.

Kinda like Jeffrey Dahmer has his admirers/fans...? :p

3.) Although I embraced this revelation as I would any other, it was not what I expected to say the least. So, Kakuzu is out there to make a buck or two (or some millions) and that makes him one of the more realistic bad guys seen in manga. He also makes a great couple with Hidan as you said already, and to be frank, I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out... So we have the religious freakshow who sacrifices himself every time on one hand, and the greedy treasurer who takes detours hunting down people for bounties on the other. I wonder why does Hidan put up with so much mocking of his relegion... guess I'll have to wait and see.

Probably because Kakuzu helps him on his killing sprees?

4.) Again I missed something eye poking, this time it being Kakuzu bringing down those gates with a motion of his hand (and the use of his ring?). I guess manga are doing this to me: 50 ton gates just don't seem strong enough to hold so much as a kitty anymore... Anyhow, I hope Kakuzu isn't a juggernaut (the X-Men one) because he's not that built and it would be a let down as far as Naruto physics goes. Perhaps he has psychic powers, in that he can move things without touching them, using his chakra. Perhaps there's more to those rings than we originally thougt... after all Tobi did make a whole deal out of it. Anyhow, so long as he isn't abnormally strong due to muscle mass I'll embrace any explanation Kishi gives :tem

I didn't mean that he would just be like the Juggernaut of X-Men comics, I meant that he was a juggernaut in his own right in that he seemingly doesn't get injured very easily ;)

5.) It seems that this arc is going to be more serious that what we've seen so far. Kishi has also shown us two new different places (part of Kumogakure no Sato and the Fire Temple) in the span of merely three chapters. Perhaps he IS taking Naruto to a whole new level! Still, it sounds kind of far fetched, with the most plausible scenario in my mind being that he's simply trying to get us hooked on the new arc from its very beginning. One way or another, now or later, I've always expected Kishi to give us the backstory of the bijuu. I think once he mentioned Kyuubi as one of the characters, and if you think about it, he represents Naruto's dark side, the little Devil whispering in his ear. Concerning the religions and mythology of Naruto's world, however, I'm unsure. It seems heavy to introduce so many new elements to the story now, although it could be done gradually I guess. Kishi would have to be extra careful anyhow, since until now we hadn't seen any sort of holiday, festivities, rituals, temples or priests/monks...

I think the pace is good enough at the moment... Kishimoto's taken a very long time to introduce us to the world of Naruto in general, so I'm glad he's starting to do that now.

7 & 8) First and foremost I have to take this off my chest: I don't think Naruto's ultimate jutsu will be an improved Rasengan for two reasons.
a) Because Kakashi told Naruto he'll be developing an ultimate jutsu to call his own. Chidori is Kakashi's jutsu and Rasengan is the Yondaime's, so it couldn't be any of the two or even an improved version.

Hm... even so, an Improved Rasengan would still be something original, if Yondaime had never been able to do it. Just as Kakashi doesn't seem to have been able to update his own Raikiri to the point that Sasuke has with his Chidori...

b) Chidori Nagashi was indeed cool and an upgrade to Chidori, but it could be considered equal to Naruto's Oodama Rasengan or "that" jutsu he probably developed with Jiraiya or even an upgraded version of Rasengan Naruto will probably create now as practise for the real thing. What? Yes, you heard me right, if an improved Rasengan is all Naruto will be ablo to create, what about Sasuke's "that" jutsu? When he nearly used it, his words had the kind of final tone the words of someone talking to the people he's about to kill have...

Actually, I think Naruto is learning an attack that will at the very least let him have a chance against Sasuke again, but the attacks will probably still be equal in power... and as for Sasuke's "that" jutsu, it's probably another version of the Chidori ( I commented in a previous 10 Comments that it might've been a 20-foot Chidori, scary huh? XD )

On another note I don't think Kakashi is training Naruto out of guilt nor do I think he thought Sasuke of higher potential than him, not for a second! The way I see this, Kakashi found himself more "compatible" with Sasuke, as he found Jiraiya more compatible with Naruto. I think they talked about that, that day up in the roof of the hospital or maybe even before that (sadly I don't have my manga archive with me now).

Actually, Kakashi originally assigned Naruto to Ebisu, so I doubt he really felt that Naruto had much chance of getting through the final exams, because, I mean... Ebisu? Ehhhh... sorry, but Ebisu wasn't going to help Naruto much at all. Naruto had every right in the world to be upset about that. But Kakashi never intended for Jiraiya to pick up Naruto as a student, nor did he expect him to. Plus, I have a feeling Kakashi would have been just as good at Ebisu at explaining all the basics again to Naruto - he just simply didn't want to do "that" kind of training, because he saw training Sasuke as more invigorating... I'll agree that Kakashi is definitely more compatible with Sasuke (he said that during Sasuke's battle with Gaara in the Arena) but still... not to mention that there was always that possibility that Naruto and Sasuke would meet up in the Exams. Kakashi was a horrible sensei to Naruto.

Anyhow, I believe Kakashi again thinks that he is a better suited teacher for Naruto now, than Jiraiya, probably because he has a way to speed things up or because he thinks Jiraiya's training would emphasize on other aspects of Naruto's fighting...

I don't think Kakashi is still entirely comfortable with training Naruto. After all, he was pretty relieved here when Naruto seemed to "barely" get what he was saying... Kakashi definitely prefers a student with a higher IQ, I guess.

9.) Again, I shall nod in agreement... who could have seen this coming? Well, whoever paid attention to surnames you might say, but I'm known to miss eye poking stuff, I can't be expected to remember Saru's surname, much less Asuma's... Anyway, the point is, it seems Asuma will be one of the main characters now! Since Naruto takes place in such a well fleshed out world and all its people are so realistic (in their own way) I was really hoping Kishi would take the time to evolve the characters we've known and loved for so many years, instead of introducing new blood all the time. Asuma, Shino and Neji are three characters I've always wanted to see more of, so this turn of events made me really glad! Asuma just has to be strong to fight the Akatsuki and avenge the death of Chiriku. Now if he could even summon Enma, then perhaps we're in for a treat ;)

Only time will tell...! ^_^

Let me say one last thing about Asuma: The scene at his father's grave was very touching and dramatic, even before we found out he was Saru's son, because it had this Kakashi-Obito feeling to it. Also, the way Asuma put out his smoke reminded me of dark detective stories...

It also reminded me of when Isshin was smoking at Ichigo's mother's grave, but that's neither here nor there...

10.) We just saw Hidan perform his ritual for the second time and we are already bored of it, imagine poor Kakuzu! As for looking dignified, I don't think Hidan cares, though I'm saying in a different way. I think Hidan is too religious to care! A lot of religions reduce the faithful to maggots in front of an omnipotent God and I wouldn't be surprised if the Church of Jashin is like that! So, I think Hidan only cares about pleasing his God by closely following the rules of his sect, which from what we've seen so far include wrecking havoc and self sacrifice... literally! Well, that's all I have to say about Hidan.

Already commented on this above, but definitely the best comment in your post there... very good point ^_^

Closing this post I'd like to confess doing something I've never done before... I wrote this post in the form of segments through the night. Why? I don't know... I've been interupted many times and came back to the post hours later, so if my thoughts seem fragmented, if it looks like my chain of thoughts is broken and the rings scattered, you know why ;) And yeah, I could change the post but I choose not to :amuse

I have to admit while writing this response post I'm very tired myself so forgive me if my responses weren't that great, but I did like your post ;)

What's Sandaime's full name, Paladin? :s

I think a lot of people assumed that it was his given name because of the whole, "Sarutobi-Sensei" thing. I can't think of any off of the top of my head, but were there any other times when -Sensei was used with the surname? Iruka-Sensei, Kakashi-Sensei, and Mizuki-Sensei (I believe its his given name? I tried looking up but couldn't find...but I got lazy and gave up quickly), Gai-Sensei, etc.

I think Sarutobi-Sensei is one of the rare times the surname is used, which might be one reason people wouldn't believe it. Hell, Sarutobi Asuma and [whatever Sandaime's other name is] Sarutobi was still possible.

Hm, no his full name was never revealed... well, here's my theory on that: the Leaf might've been more like the Sand in the past, only having one name (Gaara, Temari, Kankurou, Chiyo, Sasori) so Sarutobi might have been the father of that clan; also even if that wasn't the case, Nidaime used to call him by a pun on the name, "monkey," so people might have taken up the habit of calling him by that name.

Still, good point there... I guess that would have been reason enough for an argument against Asuma being his son. But now we know the truth! ^_^

But we did learn what Naruto is supposed to do... we'll find out the rest next chapter, I'm sure. (or even THIS fan will get impatient, lol.)

However, I'd just like to add that I am enjoying Kishi's obvious enthusiasm for steering Naruto towards more complex and dare I say, sinister themes - killing the monks in the temple, Hidan stabbing himself in a weird religious ritual, Kakuzu banging on about the importance of money, Zetzu saying believe in no-one but yourself (now there's a sentiment Itachi would agree with) all push the levels of acceptability in a shonen manga and as I've said in the Chapter 314 discussion, surely some of this is clearly too advanced for your average 12/13 year old?

When Haku ended up with Kakashi's arm through his chest, that's when I started thinking this manga might be a little too mature-themed for average 12/13 year olds, heh...

LoL... XD "Let your first commandment be sharing fine manga with others!'

all we need is the absolutely insane killer with the crazy smile...

Doesn't Kisame have a crazy enough grin for you... XD

Sir Gold Knight, I now have another reason to frequent the site, and Naruto in general. Your comments were very insightful, taught me not only about Naruto but about storytelling in general. Thanks!

z.

Aw, well, thanks... I'm glad you like my comments that much just to be around because of them. But I hope you'll find enjoyment from being part of the community and best of all, possibly trying out new manga being recommended around here...!

Great comments as usual, but I'm really sorry since I won't comment every comment of yours because I really don't feel like moving my fingers a lot atm :p Anyway about the statue, if you have read the theory about the uchicha and dark something theory, you would see that it's a tengu statue, the same one that was in the uchiha temple sasuke visited ;)

A tengu statue... yeah... good observation. Hmm. Well, there's definitely also something behind the Uchiha temple mystery, so maybe we'll learn some connections along the way.

glasskatana
July 10, 2006, 09:06 PM
Doesn't Kisame have a crazy enough grin for you... XD

no no, I need someone crazy enough to give us a smile like the one Enishi gives us when he tells us of his plan to "take" Kaoru.and/or someon who Laughs like Shishio as he is engulfed in flames. And no, I don't just want this because characters like that are usually very fascinating, but also because I feel a character like that would serve a purpose. What purpose? Well, if Naruto fought/defeated him, and that character never converted to the church of Naruto, never felt remorse for his actions, and went out cackling, then it would teach Naruto an important lesson. Not everyone can be saved. But it would also make Naruto even more determined to save Sasuke before Sasuke becomes that person. There's my 2 cents. Great comments as always.

Anax
July 11, 2006, 01:50 AM
Glassgatana: Now that is a great comment right there! I like your idea and now I wish we see a person like that. I think such a character would be different from all the bad guys Kishi makes, in that their death won't bring their catharsis... Also when Shishio died, he thought of overthrowing the king of hell, and it's madmen like that who can never be saved, but add a nice tone to the manga. :ossu

glasskatana
July 11, 2006, 03:10 AM
Glassgatana: Now that is a great comment right there! I like your idea and now I wish we see a person like that. I think such a character would be different from all the bad guys Kishi makes, in that their death won't bring their catharsis... Also when Shishio died, he thought of overthrowing the king of hell, and it's madmen like that who can never be saved, but add a nice tone to the manga. :ossu

Oh yeah, another evil madman fan. I mean come on, who doesn't want to see a bad guy in Naruto who does this. http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/70.jpgWhen I held that image in my hands and read it in the manga...words cannot explain. Let's email Kishimoto right now. :p

Come to think of it, Rurouni Kenshin is filled with crazy people and Evil smiles. Shishio, Enishi, Jin-e. Yet Naruto doesn't even have one.

Gold Knight
July 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
Heh, sorry but ... :offtopic :nana

Shishio and Enishi are also some of my favorite villains, tho, they were both similarly awesome.

As for Naruto having such a "evil madman," the Leader may be a possible candidate. Reason - he chuckled when Sasori was upset at him over the deaths of his men. Who knows, if the Leader hadn't cared if Sasori left the organization, he might have laughed maniacally instead.

But in the world of ninja, don't expect to see too many people who let their emotions run free. They've all been trained to hide their thoughts and feelings. Of course, I'd expect to see somebody who rebelled against all that at some point. Hidan seems like another good candidate.

ILUVATAR
July 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
4.) Again I missed something eye poking, this time it being Kakuzu bringing down those gates with a motion of his hand (and the use of his ring?). I guess manga are doing this to me: 50 ton gates just don't seem strong enough to hold so much as a kitty anymore...

i have to add something about the rings. i remember clearly that while Kakashi, Sakura, Naruto and the old woman form hidden sand where fighting Itachi (or the clone thing he did) Naruto got hypnotized just by looking on Itachi's ring not in his eyes. so yes. i strongly believe that there is something about these rings, maybe some sort of power boosts for the ring bearer. that would be awesome don't you think we shall find out soon enough.... i think :noworry

Gold Knight
July 11, 2006, 05:46 PM
i have to add something about the rings. i remember clearly that while Kakashi, Sakura, Naruto and the old woman form hidden sand where fighting Itachi (or the clone thing he did) Naruto got hypnotized just by looking on Itachi's ring not in his eyes. so yes. i strongly believe that there is something about these rings, maybe some sort of power boosts for the ring bearer. that would be awesome don't you think we shall find out soon enough.... i think :noworry

That's true... Itachi did refer to "one look at this finger is all it takes" but who knows, it might've been the ring, which Naruto definitely also was looking at in that scene. You might be right there.

white silver
July 11, 2006, 11:05 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Rings that bestow the users a greater power, hmm... Isn't that very like Full Metal Alchemist (Impure Philosopher's stone rings)

sabyr
July 11, 2006, 11:30 PM

Kishimoto is doing the same thing J.K. Rowling does in the Harry Potter books, the story is get more mature as the readers get more mature. In herry potter there is alot of dark themes and much death, and the exact same thing is happening here. Kishimoto advances the story to fit the ages of Naruto's readers, and by now if they've read from the beggining would be about 15 or 16.

Anax
July 12, 2006, 01:44 AM
Perhaps Iluvatar is truly on to something here... After all, each time a new Aaktsuki is introduced we get a close up on their ring as well, no? Perhaps those rings "amplifiers" of each person's natural abilities. Tobi made a big deal out of Sasori's ring, ne? Something along the lines of "if I have this then I have anything else needed to be an Akatsuki". If that ring were Sasori's and Sasori's alone it wouldn't work for Tobi, but if it were an amplifier of sorts, then wearing it wouild bring an already strong nin to Akatsuki level power... Somehow, though, this doesn't right at all. To put it bluntly, I don't want it to be like that! :D It wouldn't fit the prestige of the Akatsuki to resort to... "amplifiers", now would it? :nono

white silver
July 12, 2006, 05:12 AM
Kishimoto advances the story to fit the ages of Naruto's readers, and by now if they've read from the beggining would be about 15 or 16.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Nope, the manga is sold for 18 years and above only. The extreme violence in the manga proves that point (as well as it is being sold here in my area), if that wasn't the case, then there should be no reason to remove the excess *gore* scenes in the manga to be viewed in the Anime.

Gold Knight
July 12, 2006, 09:25 AM
Actually, it's for boys, Kunai. Otherwise, Naruto would be categorized as "Seinen."

Shonen is made of the characters meaning "Few" and "Years," and Shonen is Japanese for "Boy" but also mean "Pure of Heart." In short, it's aimed to 12-year old to 16-year old boys.

And while Naruto does have occasions where they have scenes that's really more for 16- to 18-year olds (like Haku's death), most of the chapters are still pretty mild compared to say, Berserk. Now THAT's for 18 years and above only.

ibra87
July 12, 2006, 09:40 AM
Berserk? I would say 20+ :p. Anyway, I agree on the idea about the ring giving some powers. Otherwise, why would 9 elite ninjas be looking for it? Because it looks cute?

kadoman
July 12, 2006, 10:10 AM
Shonen is made of the characters meaning "Few" and "Years," and Shonen is Japanese for "Boy" but also mean "Pure of Heart." In short, it's aimed to 12-year old to 16-year old boys.

I didn't know that GK. Thanks for the definition, very helpful. OK...sorry to drag it off topic!

Reaver Reload
July 12, 2006, 10:39 AM
Spot on stuff again GK, I love reading your stuff :)
There was one thing that aroused interest though, welcome to the Giant Plot-Hole of Doom #991.

Earlier on, it is mentioned that the Akatsuki are doing volunteer work, however, Kakuzu is noted as being the treasurer for Akatsuki. Hidan mentioned a salary. This makes me wonder as to whether the Akatsuki are really volunteers, or whether the money is going to something else? Nail polish? A talented embroiderer? Who knows these days. Or maybe, it's just... THE PLOT HOLE!

One of these days all the plot holes will merge together into one giant vortex, sucking everything that resembles logic and sense into the fiery chasm of eternity.

[edit:] And for those of you who have read the Tengu theory, you will notice that the Shrine / Temple had a LOT of Tengu references and statues inside and outside. Coincidence? Can't be...

Gold Knight
July 12, 2006, 10:48 AM
Berserk? I would say 20+ :p. Anyway, I agree on the idea about the ring giving some powers. Otherwise, why would 9 elite ninjas be looking for it? Because it looks cute?

You never know. They all do wear purple/black nailpolish. XD

I didn't know that GK. Thanks for the definition, very helpful. OK...sorry to drag it off topic!

Oh, no problem =)

Spot on stuff again GK, I love reading your stuff :)
There was one thing that aroused interest though, welcome to the Giant Plot-Hole of Doom #991.

Earlier on, it is mentioned that the Akatsuki are doing volunteer work, however, Kakuzu is noted as being the treasurer for Akatsuki. Hidan mentioned a salary. This makes me wonder as to whether the Akatsuki are really volunteers, or whether the money is going to something else? Nail polish? A talented embroiderer? Who knows these days. Or maybe, it's just... THE PLOT HOLE!

One of these days all the plot holes will merge together into one giant vortex, sucking everything that resembles logic and sense into the fiery chasm of eternity.

Hidan mentioned a salary? Where? All he ever mentioned was that his religion is killing, and that Kakuzu's quest for financial gain was holding them back. And even though the Akatsuki are "volunteers" they still need money to do what they want to - they probably need it for things like travelling costs, bribes, trap expenses, and hideout refreshments...

Edit: And for those of you who have read the Tengu theory, you will notice that the Shrine / Temple had a LOT of Tengu references and statues inside and outside. Coincidence? Can't be...

Yep, that piqued my interest too. Thanks for reading and commenting, RR ^^

And I'm loving your work for Zarosaki lately. Keep it up!

white silver
July 12, 2006, 10:58 AM
Actually, it's for boys, Kunai. Otherwise, Naruto would be categorized as "Seinen."

And while Naruto does have occasions where they have scenes that's really more for 16- to 18-year olds (like Haku's death), most of the chapters are still pretty mild compared to say, Berserk. Now THAT's for 18 years and above only.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Is that so? Because you have to be 18 years old to buy one here! Although I'm not sure with other countries, I just assumed that way because even Japaense manga shops (in Hong Kong) marked the Naruto covers to be 18 years old and above. No wonder there were some upset teens who ask ME to buy for them. Hmmm... strange.

Gold Knight
July 12, 2006, 11:07 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Is that so? Because you have to be 18 years old to buy one here! Although I'm not sure with other countries, I just assumed that way because even Japaense manga shops (in Hong Kong) marked the Naruto covers to be 18 years old and above. No wonder there were some upset teens who ask ME to buy for them. Hmmm... strange.

Nope, in Japan they're for kids, and in America you can see them everywhere at bookstores, even low on the shelves where a crawling baby can just pick it up and look and drool into the pages. XD

Guess it's different where you are, perhaps because they noticed there ARE some questionable content in these magazines.

white silver
July 12, 2006, 11:14 AM
Guess it's different where you are, perhaps because they noticed there ARE some questionable content in these magazines.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Damn it, bad bad HK retailers!

sabyr
July 12, 2006, 12:15 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Nope, the manga is sold for 18 years and above only. The extreme violence in the manga proves that point (as well as it is being sold here in my area), if that wasn't the case, then there should be no reason to remove the excess *gore* scenes in the manga to be viewed in the Anime.

in japan and america it is aimed at 12 and up... but i don't know about where you're from. personally, i know 8 year olds who read this stuff(they are also the 8 year olds who saw all three Matrix movies though).

Anax
July 14, 2006, 12:48 AM
315 is out!! *eagerly awaiting GK's 10 comments on 315* >)

yeste
July 14, 2006, 08:14 AM
Man, I’ve been looking around for quality Naruto reviews for like forever… Read lots of posts on loooooots of forums, still that wasn’t it!!!! This is what I was looking all along. Great stuff here Gold Knight!!! Awesome… Really appreciate the work!!!

Yesterday I accidentally looked into manga scrapbook, and found lots of very cool stuff… Read almost all of you reviews ( no time for all now, but I’ll read them!!! ), and some of the fanfiction… It’s all gold!!!

Ahhhh… I’ll join the discussion when you write the one for the chapter 315!!!! Can’t wait!!! Great work!!! :amuse

Gold Knight
July 14, 2006, 11:39 AM
XD Thanks yeste... I'll be writing up the 315 Comments today. Watch for 'em! ;)

ibra87
July 14, 2006, 05:23 PM
XD Thanks yeste... I'll be writing up the 315 Comments today. Watch for 'em! ;)

It's already tomorrow here :( But then again, you live far away from where I do.

Gold Knight
July 14, 2006, 06:12 PM
Sorry! It's still "today" here. XD But it's up now (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6072.msg100186#msg100186), in any event. ;)