PDA

View Full Version : A Confession by Gold Knight [Naruto 400-402]

Gold Knight
May 30, 2008, 11:35 PM
Well, color me wrong.

Kishimoto hasn't lost his touch at all.

Instead, he's much more of a craftier fox than I ever suspected. (Anybody check if he's hiding a few tails behind his drawing desk?) ... He may have had a few bumps here and there in Part Two, but he's still got that unique, compelling storytelling method that's intrigued me for so long. These past three chapters have pretty much reaffirmed that in my mind. Glory be.

Don't worry if you're confused as to why - I'll explain. Just like Madara did. Oops, bad analogy, don't make faces, I didn't mean it like that. No heart-wrenching, horrifying revelations or anything here. ;)

I actually didn't intend to write here again, but after reading Chapter 400-402, I felt compelled to admit that my interest in Naruto has been renewed... all over again.

Just to get this out of the way, though, I still don't really plan on writing weekly reviews again (but then you never know, don't write me off just yet). Sowwie. I just thought I'd pipe in with a few remarks and a little speculation of my own this week. Just humor me, if you will. ;) Yeah, I know... I'm sure many people have already discussed and even reviewed these chapters, and I'm not quite sure if I'll be repeating what anybody else is saying here. If I am, please forgive me. I'll TRY to be quick. :)

Why did I lose interest in Naruto to begin with? Maybe we oughta go over that first.

It goes back to when Jiraiya died, really. When I finally decided to stop reviewing. No, not that chapter - the flashbacks that Jiraiya had back to all the failures in his life, and his touching remembrance of Minato and Kushina and his surprising appointment as Naruto's godfather - no. That was a brilliant, brilliant episode ... easily one of my favorites now.

Too bad it wasn't quite enough to make up for the entire unsatisfying battle that had just took place between Jiraiya and Pain.

That's what made me lose faith in Kishimoto. I had slowly come to recognize that Part 2 wasn't as good at the first... and I tried to figure out why? Was it really all more flash than substance now? Fodder for the video game companies to make new material with?

Almost ever since we first saw post-Timeskip Naruto arrive at his old home village, we've had one prolonged battle after another. Some that just ... seemed a bit senseless, actually. More for fan pleasure than anything else. Murmurings had started that Kishimoto had lost interest in writing and simply started to match up one character against another, time after time after time. Sasori vs Sakura. Shikamaru vs Hidan. Sasuke vs Deidara. All the while, we've been feeling like Naruto has been sorely neglected - what has he done lately? When will he set out on a more documented journey to take ahold of his destiny - his goal to be Hokage?

In short, people were feeling Naruto was getting the DBZ syndrome. And don't get me wrong, I had faith. I stubbornly felt for a long time that Kishimoto was just gearing up for the real story all along, that he would eventually come back to the roots of his tale.

But then, we had Sasuke escape (kinda) from Orochimaru and take down Deidara in what amounted to an almost purely "eye candy" battle for the fans. That disgusted many fans, I could tell. WHAT, we cried aloud, was the point of Naruto's training now if Sasuke didn't even need saving all along?

Well, that was a surprising twist to me too, but I still thought - I still had a lot of faith - that Kishimoto still had his marbles intact. He knew what he was doing, right? That was what I had been telling myself ever since then.

And then Jiraiya wandered off to Amegakure and faced off against Pain.

We saw a brief tryst between Jiraiya and Konan - yes, you read that right, she DID take part in that battle... but if you blinked, you might have missed it! - and then he went straight to the boxing ring with Pain. Basically the entire battle was merely to try to delve into the origins of the man - or men - called Pain, and to witness his powers, one by one, take down our Ero-Sennin in... a painfully boring, dreary fight. Man, epic it wasn't at all. IMO.

Then Jiraiya, despite a heroic sacrifice to discover for once and all who Pain was and relay the message to Konohagakure - died.

And then almost immediately after, we had Sasuke facing off against his hated brother. We didn't even have a chance to catch our breath.

What? No quiet pause of mourning for Jiraiya? Just from one battle to another? Was Kishimoto turning as blind to the entire story as Zetsu, eager to just merely draw the battles and forget everything else?

That's when I finally lost faith. I felt like Naruto was DBZ reborn at that moment (no offense to DBZ fans). Just another mindless battle after another. I finally decided to stop reviewing.

But I never stopped reading. Once you've been as obsessed with a story as I have been with Naruto, you tend to want to see it through to the end, after all... during the entire battle between Itachi and Sasuke, I DID thoroughly enjoy the art. That was one of two things that had kept me reading - Kishimoto's mastery of human anatomy and the beautiful, creative backgrounds and angles that he would convey in his scenes.

Inspiring, dynamic illustrations that would soon be colored by a bevy of excellent artists we have here at MH - Amaretti, Dynamic Dragon, Kyuubisharingan, Dralaquan, Stiluz... just to name a few.

Then the other thing? To finally find out what happens between Sasuke and Itachi for once and all. Even though I wasn't much of an Uchiha fan.

Still, that had been one of the most enduring sideplots in the entire series. Almost since the very beginning, we had Sasuke, a little kid who wished revenge on his brother. We found out that the brother had murdered his family. But why? How? What caused Itachi to turn so terribly bad? Or had he ever been evil? Was he actually behind the Uchiha massacre? Would Sasuke kill his brother? Or... vice versa?

Okay, I lied. I may not THAT big an Uchiha fan, but I DID take a great interest in Itachi. I thought his ruthlessness in killing his family was intriguing - that he had all the making of a great villian like Darth Vader or something like that. I was always interested in Itachi's history, why he did what he did.

While reading the battle, though, I felt that Kishimoto had turned Itachi a bit too two-dimensional - WAS Itachi really just a raving power-hungry lunatic? Ouch. That wasn't the kind of villain I had hoped to see, really, even though I DID always hope that Itachi was in actuality a bad guy. But if he was just nuts, there's really not much substance to that at all.

The whole battle was very cryptic. Illusion after illusion, opportunity after opportunity for Itachi to take Sasuke's eyes. Vague explanations on why Sasuke defeated Itachi. Then all of a sudden...

Itachi just dropped dead.

While I did enjoy the battle for its artistic merits, I DID have to wonder to myself, was Kishimoto just doing whatever his imagination came up with on a weekly basis?

Then our world, of course, was turned upside-down.

Tobi, or Madara, told us all the truth. Itachi wasn't all that bad. No.

He never wanted Sasuke's eyes. He never wanted to kill his brother. And moreover, what was the most surprising news - he actually did love the village of the Leaf. He was a double agent, and had to hide that fact from everybody - even his little brother.

All the pieces of the puzzle finally clicked when we learned about Itachi's orders to annihilate his clan for the sake of the survival of the rest of the Leaf village. That he REALLY, in fact, did love his brother... and was willing to do anything for him. Even let him live. He wanted his brother to become stronger and seek revenge on him... so he could die at his hands, and give him a greater power.

Wow.

And you had to realize that had been what Kishimoto had planned all along. Itachi's attempts to avoid battle when he met Asuma and Kurenai. His sudden escape from Jiraiya, despite Kisame's surprise. And even though he probably knew where to find Naruto all along, he never really made much of an attempt.

In fact, he didn't even go to Konohagakure for Naruto in the first place. That was probably an excuse he made to the Akatsuki, but he was there to remind the village elders that he meant business and that they were not to touch his brother under any circumstances - even if the Third had just died.

The little glimpses we had of Itachi's hand in the massacre - his dialogue with his family - his seemingly genuine affection for Sasuke - we were all led to believe all that was a lie. But many of us - including Sasuke - failed to read the hidden meanings within the hidden meanings, as Kakashi would say.

Including me. I always thought Itachi was a bad guy. Moreover, I WANTED him to be bad. But guess what?

I was actually pleased after reading these three chapters. Itachi wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. Instead, he became more of a three-dimensional character - a grey character, if you will. Just imagine! His whole life was a lie. He deceived everybody to believe the absolute worst of him - all because he wanted to protect his home, and his little brother. On the other hand, he BETRAYED his family, though. He had to take a side, he was forced to take one - and he chose peace over family.

What do YOU think of Itachi now? Sure, he could just have avoided conflict there, too - and left the village altogether. But then, he would have had to watch both his family and village collide in a battle of dire consequences.

And if that wasn't all... the plot actually became more concrete because of Sasuke's knowledge about all this, which I didn't expect. Why?

Sasuke has now become the MAIN antagonist of the series.

He just DECLARED WAR on Konohagakure. What!!? You're kidding me!!! YOU ARE KIDDING ME.

Looks like his next battle with Naruto is going to be... awfully... epic. And looks like the spotlight is finally going to go back on Naruto. Because he has to do what he's always been best at. When Naruto meet Sasuke, he has to somehow, like he did so many times before with the likes of Gaara and Neji, figure out how to save Sasuke from the darkness.

But really.

How in the world is Naruto EVER going to do it? HOW??? How is he going to convince Sasuke not to wreck hell on his home? HOW is he going to EVEN friggin' survive against Sasuke now that he has the freaking Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, to add to his already dangerous repertoire of lightning jutsus!?? Oh, and will Naruto ever shag Sakura???

Count me hooked to Naruto again. :whoo

hatsuharupeace
May 30, 2008, 11:47 PM
Awesome quick review GK, quality as always. Too bad you aren't gonna pick up weekly reviews again, but if you do, that would be awesome. :D

But I disagree with you saying that Sasuke is the main antagonist of the series, he *may* be an antagonist, but not *evil* enough to be the main one, that's what Madara is for. :amuse

One question though: How and when did Sasuke get the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan?? I just thought it's his normal Mangekyou, since nearly all the people with Mangekyou that we've seen have all had different symbols/shape thingys.

Gold Knight
May 31, 2008, 12:05 AM
True, true, Madara has to be counted as a main antagonist. Sorry, I got caught up in my enthusiasm a little bit, maybe, but you're right. But you have to know, though... to Naruto, Sasuke is going to be the main objective, especially more than ever now, if Sasuke is going actually to try to terrorize the village which Naruto has always wanted to protect. That's going to bring some terrible feelings to Naruto right there. On a more personal level than Madara could ever hope to impose.

You may be right that that might just be Sasuke's normal MS and not EMS. But if it is just a normal MS, that's a damn close to a perfect "kaleidoscope-shaped" Sharingan. I suppose that's where I got my assumption from.
[hr]
Oh, and I think I said I'd speculate more, but I ended up having too many random thoughts that I didn't really want to bother sorting through them all right now. XD

One Eyed Sharingan
May 31, 2008, 02:16 AM
Whoah GK is confessing... i thought we'd need Ibiki to make you spill those out :D:D

well... to be honest, the first time Madara said that Itachi killed his entire clan on Konoha's top brass' order (chapter 398), i was disappointed.. cause i wanted itachi to be a cold-blooded-evil too.
But then at the end of of chapter 399, and especially chapter 400... i was converted by Madara...:D... and chapter 401 made me respect Itachi for his unfading commitment...
kekekekekke

i just wanna add 1 thing...
as soon as Team 7 and 8 return to konoha and report that Itachi's dead.... i wonder what will Danzou and he council do...

Gaara_dono
May 31, 2008, 03:34 AM
How in the world is Naruto EVER going to do it? HOW??? How is he going to convince Sasuke not to wreck hell on his home? HOW is he going to EVEN friggin' survive against Sasuke now that he has the freaking Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, to add to his already dangerous repertoire of lightning jutsus!?? Oh, and will Naruto ever shag Sakura???

Yo GK! What's shakin' man :XD.... Turning back on reviewing Naruto :loool
Excellent review as always... Just wandering about something... Yeah you've figured it out... The Sasuke's EMS issue... Do he really HAVE it?? Even if he has a new pattern of Sharingan... Maybe it's HIS Mangekyõ Sharingan... Nothing else..?
Plus; the only time we've seen the mechanism of getting leveled up to EMS... It was with a brother eye... In the case of Sasuke; there was no brother eye transfer!!

Could you explain more please?

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 31, 2008, 05:16 AM
Yo GK! What's shakin' man :XD.... Turning back on reviewing Naruto :loool
Excellent review as always... Just wandering about something... Yeah you've figured it out... The Sasuke's EMS issue... Do he really HAVE it?? Even if he has a new pattern of Sharingan... Maybe it's HIS Mangekyõ Sharingan... Nothing else..?
Plus; the only time we've seen the mechanism of getting leveled up to EMS... It was with a brother eye... In the case of Sasuke; there was no brother eye transfer!!

Could you explain more please?

It's too hard to say if he has EMS or MS for definate, but my bet is that he has EMS. Either way he has got some upgrade!

wildG
May 31, 2008, 07:35 AM
Well, color me wrong.

Instead, he's much more of a craftier fox than I ever suspected. (Anybody check if he's hiding a few tails behind his drawing desk?) ... He may have had a few bumps here and there in Part Two, but he's still got that unique, compelling storytelling method that's intrigued me for so long. These past three chapters have pretty much reaffirmed that in my mind. Glory be.

Don't worry if you're confused as to why - I'll explain. Just like Madara did. Oops, bad analogy, don't make faces, I didn't mean it like that. No heart-wrenching, horrifying revelations or anything here. ;)

I actually didn't intend to write here again, but after reading Chapter 400-402, I felt compelled to admit that my interest in Naruto has been renewed... all over again.

Just to get this out of the way, though, I still don't really plan on writing weekly reviews again (but then you never know, don't write me off just yet). Sowwie. I just thought I'd pipe in with a few remarks and a little speculation of my own this week. Just humor me, if you will. ;) Yeah, I know... I'm sure many people have already discussed and even reviewed these chapters, and I'm not quite sure if I'll be repeating what anybody else is saying here. If I am, please forgive me. I'll TRY to be quick. :)

Why did I lose interest in Naruto to begin with? Maybe we oughta go over that first.

It goes back to when Jiraiya died, really. When I finally decided to stop reviewing. No, not that chapter - the flashbacks that Jiraiya had back to all the failures in his life, and his touching remembrance of Minato and Kushina and his surprising appointment as Naruto's godfather - no. That was a brilliant, brilliant episode ... easily one of my favorites now.

Too bad it wasn't quite enough to make up for the entire unsatisfying battle that had just took place between Jiraiya and Pain.

That's what made me lose faith in Kishimoto. I had slowly come to recognize that Part 2 wasn't as good at the first... and I tried to figure out why? Was it really all more flash than substance now? Fodder for the video game companies to make new material with?

Almost ever since we first saw post-Timeskip Naruto arrive at his old home village, we've had one prolonged battle after another. Some that just ... seemed a bit senseless, actually. More for fan pleasure than anything else. Murmurings had started that Kishimoto had lost interest in writing and simply started to match up one character against another, time after time after time. Sasori vs Sakura. Shikamaru vs Hidan. Sasuke vs Deidara. All the while, we've been feeling like Naruto has been sorely neglected - what has he done lately? When will he set out on a more documented journey to take ahold of his destiny - his goal to be Hokage?

In short, people were feeling Naruto was getting the DBZ syndrome. And don't get me wrong, I had faith. I stubbornly felt for a long time that Kishimoto was just gearing up for the real story all along, that he would eventually come back to the roots of his tale.

But then, we had Sasuke escape (kinda) from Orochimaru and take down Deidara in what amounted to an almost purely "eye candy" battle for the fans. That disgusted many fans, I could tell. WHAT, we cried aloud, was the point of Naruto's training now if Sasuke didn't even need saving all along?

Well, that was a surprising twist to me too, but I still thought - I still had a lot of faith - that Kishimoto still had his marbles intact. He knew what he was doing, right? That was what I had been telling myself ever since then.

And then Jiraiya wandered off to Amegakure and faced off against Pain.

We saw a brief tryst between Jiraiya and Konan - yes, you read that right, she DID take part in that battle... but if you blinked, you might have missed it! - and then he went straight to the boxing ring with Pain. Basically the entire battle was merely to try to delve into the origins of the man - or men - called Pain, and to witness his powers, one by one, take down our Ero-Sennin in... a painfully boring, dreary fight. Man, epic it wasn't at all. IMO.

Then Jiraiya, despite a heroic sacrifice to discover for once and all who Pain was and relay the message to Konohagakure - died.

And then almost immediately after, we had Sasuke facing off against his hated brother. We didn't even have a chance to catch our breath.

What? No quiet pause of mourning for Jiraiya? Just from one battle to another? Was Kishimoto turning as blind to the entire story as Zetsu, eager to just merely draw the battles and forget everything else?

That's when I finally lost faith. I felt like Naruto was DBZ reborn at that moment (no offense to DBZ fans). Just another mindless battle after another. I finally decided to stop reviewing.

But I never stopped reading. Once you've been as obsessed with a story as I have been with Naruto, you tend to want to see it through to the end, after all... during the entire battle between Itachi and Sasuke, I DID thoroughly enjoy the art. That was one of two things that had kept me reading - Kishimoto's mastery of human anatomy and the beautiful, creative backgrounds and angles that he would convey in his scenes.

Inspiring, dynamic illustrations that would soon be colored by a bevy of excellent artists we have here at MH - Amaretti, Dynamic Dragon, Kyuubisharingan, Dralaquan, Stiluz... just to name a few.

Then the other thing? To finally find out what happens between Sasuke and Itachi for once and all. Even though I wasn't much of an Uchiha fan.

Still, that had been one of the most enduring sideplots in the entire series. Almost since the very beginning, we had Sasuke, a little kid who wished revenge on his brother. We found out that the brother had murdered his family. But why? How? What caused Itachi to turn so terribly bad? Or had he ever been evil? Was he actually behind the Uchiha massacre? Would Sasuke kill his brother? Or... vice versa?

Okay, I lied. I may not THAT big an Uchiha fan, but I DID take a great interest in Itachi. I thought his ruthlessness in killing his family was intriguing - that he had all the making of a great villian like Darth Vader or something like that. I was always interested in Itachi's history, why he did what he did.

While reading the battle, though, I felt that Kishimoto had turned Itachi a bit too two-dimensional - WAS Itachi really just a raving power-hungry lunatic? Ouch. That wasn't the kind of villain I had hoped to see, really, even though I DID always hope that Itachi was in actuality a bad guy. But if he was just nuts, there's really not much substance to that at all.

The whole battle was very cryptic. Illusion after illusion, opportunity after opportunity for Itachi to take Sasuke's eyes. Vague explanations on why Sasuke defeated Itachi. Then all of a sudden...

Itachi just dropped dead.

While I did enjoy the battle for its artistic merits, I DID have to wonder to myself, was Kishimoto just doing whatever his imagination came up with on a weekly basis?

Then our world, of course, was turned upside-down.

Tobi, or Madara, told us all the truth. Itachi wasn't all that bad. No.

He never wanted Sasuke's eyes. He never wanted to kill his brother. And moreover, what was the most surprising news - he actually did love the village of the Leaf. He was a double agent, and had to hide that fact from everybody - even his little brother.

All the pieces of the puzzle finally clicked when we learned about Itachi's orders to annihilate his clan for the sake of the survival of the rest of the Leaf village. That he REALLY, in fact, did love his brother... and was willing to do anything for him. Even let him live. He wanted his brother to become stronger and seek revenge on him... so he could die at his hands, and give him a greater power.

Wow.

And you had to realize that had been what Kishimoto had planned all along. Itachi's attempts to avoid battle when he met Asuma and Kurenai. His sudden escape from Jiraiya, despite Kisame's surprise. And even though he probably knew where to find Naruto all along, he never really made much of an attempt.

In fact, he didn't even go to Konohagakure for Naruto in the first place. That was probably an excuse he made to the Akatsuki, but he was there to remind the village elders that he meant business and that they were not to touch his brother under any circumstances - even if the Third had just died.

The little glimpses we had of Itachi's hand in the massacre - his dialogue with his family - his seemingly genuine affection for Sasuke - we were all led to believe all that was a lie. But many of us - including Sasuke - failed to read the hidden meanings within the hidden meanings, as Kakashi would say.

Including me. I always thought Itachi was a bad guy. Moreover, I WANTED him to be bad. But guess what?

I was actually pleased after reading these three chapters. Itachi wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. Instead, he became more of a three-dimensional character - a grey character, if you will. Just imagine! His whole life was a lie. He deceived everybody to believe the absolute worst of him - all because he wanted to protect his home, and his little brother. On the other hand, he BETRAYED his family, though. He had to take a side, he was forced to take one - and he chose peace over family.

What do YOU think of Itachi now? Sure, he could just have avoided conflict there, too - and left the village altogether. But then, he would have had to watch both his family and village collide in a battle of dire consequences.

And if that wasn't all... the plot actually became more concrete because of Sasuke's knowledge about all this, which I didn't expect. Why?

Sasuke has now become the MAIN antagonist of the series.

He just DECLARED WAR on Konohagakure. What!!? You're kidding me!!! YOU ARE KIDDING ME.

Looks like his next battle with Naruto is going to be... awfully... epic. And looks like the spotlight is finally going to go back on Naruto. Because he has to do what he's always been best at. When Naruto meet Sasuke, he has to somehow, like he did so many times before with the likes of Gaara and Neji, figure out how to save Sasuke from the darkness.

But really.

Nicely said golden knight sama!

jinndtonic
May 31, 2008, 08:52 AM
Nicely said golden knight sama!

lol, that was a pointless quote wildg

gk, i loved that whole blurb. i totally had forgotten what was going on in my head as i read each chapter. because it takes a week or even two weeks for each chapter to come out, i only focus on the most recent chapter. viewing the past 3 chapters as a whole and remembering that the whole fight itself painted itachi as a bad guy, really shows kishi's genious. i especially loved how he gave us that line from itachi and his smiling bloody face that wasn't in the fight itself, which probably even madara didn't know about because zetsu never commented on it. alright, good job gk :)

ibra87
May 31, 2008, 10:32 AM
)YES GK! Exactly my thoughts (well, almost).

I was looking forward to the Uchiha Battles since the beginning, not because the Uchiha are the most interesting part of Naruto, but because the fight was bound to be epic, right? But when the fight came, I'm sure everyone was as disappointed as me, and the degeneration of Itachi's character didn't help at all.

But 401-402 changed that all! Kishi managed to somehow revert Itachi back to a great character and somehow make the story interesting again! It looks like Sasuke is going to fight Konoha alongside Akatsuki now, not that there are a lot of them back... And it all makes sense now, why Madara would ask Pain if Sasuke was ready. The big question now is, who will be the final villain... Sasuke, Pain or Madara?

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 31, 2008, 11:06 AM
It might not be neither Madara or Pein nor Sasuke. I think it might be Kabutomaru who is the final villain, I feel there is a reason why Kishi has created Kabutomaru, it is not like he has any shortage of final villains, villains as a whole maybe, but not final villains.

@GK, I know your a Kakashi fan, so how pissed off would you be if Sasuke killed Kakashi? It would definately be a blow to fans and Konoha but it would definately add depth to the plot because it would confirm Sasuke as a real enemy to Naruto, it would surely make Naruto see reason.

I eager to know how Kishi develops Naruto's plot, he has got Pein, key training, and Sasuke to deal with, so the question is what does Naruto do while Kakashi and Sakura get the limelight, obvious way to go would be for Naruto to train in Toad Mountain.

It's definately gonna be an interesting few weeks/months. But it seems Akatsuki are finished, or are Team Hawk part of Akatsuki, this is what Kishi has to show us.

It seems Kishi is now putting the Naruto series on the homerun, he's setting everything plotwise for a epic finish to the Naruto series. :tem

The Flash
May 31, 2008, 12:04 PM
Doesnt regular MS have a revolution around the 3 tomoe. And Eternal has 6? Sasuke has 6.
Therefore IMO, He has EMS.

-Also we must consider the fact, Sasuke did not kill his BEST friend to get the upgrade. To get the EMS you must kill your brother.The fact that they both "happened" to fight in some "Uchiha ritual spot" may also be a hint or requirement to get the EMS (that exempts an "Uchiha-user" from killing their best friend to get the EMS)

But as for this review, GK - you took the words out of my mouth. Well said.

Gold Knight
May 31, 2008, 01:00 PM
Boy this sure feels like old times! Thanks guys! :D

i just wanna add 1 thing...
as soon as Team 7 and 8 return to konoha and report that Itachi's dead.... i wonder what will Danzou and he council do...

Agh, you just reminded me of something else I wanted to comment on.

Yes. Well, Danzou has ALREADY sent somebody to kill Sasuke. That's the odd thing, people. That was the original objective of Sai when he joined Team 7. And I had to really wonder about that - do they just not care anymore about what Itachi might do in response?

I think they still do. But Danzou acted on his own there, and simply wanted to try to make it look like it was the doing of a random, recently-hired Orochimaru thug. But that Sai didn't succeed wasn't exactly a crushing blow to Danzou either. And I suppose that's why Sai didn't get too badly reprimanded and was allowed his chance to join the team.

But anyway. Yeah, regarding what Danzou and the elders might do. Well, they won't be handcuffed anymore. They'll want Sasuke dead. And so, that means Naruto will have even more pressing issues on his mind...

Excellent review as always... Just wandering about something... Yeah you've figured it out... The Sasuke's EMS issue... Do he really HAVE it?? Even if he has a new pattern of Sharingan... Maybe it's HIS Mangekyõ Sharingan... Nothing else

I went by a quick assumption that because Itachi had died and transferred all his eye jutsus to Sasuke, and because his death had awakened Sasuke's own MS, that was the EMS we were seeing - especially because of its almost perfect "kaleidescope" shape - but if I jumped to conclusions too soon, I apologize. ^^;

gk, i loved that whole blurb. i totally had forgotten what was going on in my head as i read each chapter. because it takes a week or even two weeks for each chapter to come out, i only focus on the most recent chapter. viewing the past 3 chapters as a whole and remembering that the whole fight itself painted itachi as a bad guy, really shows kishi's genious. i especially loved how he gave us that line from itachi and his smiling bloody face that wasn't in the fight itself, which probably even madara didn't know about because zetsu never commented on it. alright, good job gk :)

YES! I loved how Itachi's character was suddenly "redeemed." I'm sure even the hardcore fans who wanted Itachi to be an evil guy are thankful for that, right?

But yes, I'm glad Kishimoto let us in on what Itachi actually mumbled to Sasuke. Say whatever you want about Itachi, but he was a loving brother to the end, I guess.

But 401-402 changed that all! Kishi managed to somehow revert Itachi back to a great character and somehow make the story interesting again! It looks like Sasuke is going to fight Konoha alongside Akatsuki now, not that there are a lot of them back... And it all makes sense now, why Madara would ask Pain if Sasuke was ready. The big question now is, who will be the final villain... Sasuke, Pain or Madara?

Well, that's been a big question for an awfully long time now. XD And I still don't know the answer to that any more than I did two years ago. It's tougher to guess now, though, that's for sure...

But I think, Kishimoto has built up the conflict between Sasuke and Naruto for so long now, that he'll probably have them reconcile in some way before the end of the series and face off against some another danger. So even though I may have said that Sasuke had made himself into a main antagonist, I don't think he will be one to the end.

It might not be neither Madara or Pein nor Sasuke. I think it might be Kabutomaru who is the final villain, I feel there is a reason why Kishi has created Kabutomaru, it is not like he has any shortage of final villains, villains as a whole maybe, but not final villains.

Yeah, there's always ol' Kabutomaru. I do think he will be the end villain when all's said and done, still. :D

@GK, I know your a Kakashi fan, so how pissed off would you be if Sasuke killed Kakashi? It would definately be a blow to fans and Konoha but it would definately add depth the plot because it would confirm Sasuke as a real enemy to Naruto, it would surely make Naruto see reason.

The student defeat the master? NEVER! XD

But assuming that Sasuke somehow gets the drop on Kakashi, I think that would effectively make Naruto and Sakura both snap and give up. No way they will ever forgive Sasuke for doing something like that.

It would pretty much render all the trials that Naruto and Sakura has suffered through in order to rescue their friend pretty obsolete, wouldn't it?

It seems Kishi is now putting the Naruto series on the homerun, he's setting everything plotwise for a epic finish to the Naruto series. :tem

Well said T.D.A, and I agree.

Doesnt regular MS have a revolution around the 3 tomoe. And Eternal has 6? Sasuke has 6.
Therefore IMO, He has EMS.

-Also we must consider the fact, Sasuke did not kill his BEST friend to get the upgrade. To get the EMS you must kill your brother.The fact that they both "happened" to fight in some "Uchiha ritual spot" may also be a hint or requirement to get the EMS (that exempts an "Uchiha-user" from killing their best friend to get the EMS)

But as for this review, GK - you took the words out of my mouth. Well said.

Well, if you have two best friends, which one would you decide between as the "BEST" friend to kill to get your MS? xD

I think when Sasuke thought back to Itachi being his brother when he was a kid - he was basically a "best friend" to him. And he always had been. And I think that moment when Sasuke realized he had just lost "his best friend" - he cried. And then his eyes opened, and presto, there was the MS.

The Flash
May 31, 2008, 01:15 PM
^^ I suppose so GK

Actually.. if I think about it.

- 1) to get the MS - kill your best friend
- 2) To get the EMS or maintain the MS's power/light - kill your brother.

IF Itachi was Sasuke's best friend... then, Wouldn't sasuke complete both of the requirement to have an eternal MS?

He kills his brother who is also his best friend.

Wow never thought of that. GK i love your mind. Great way of thinking!!

I guess he does have the EMS. And the shape of its eyes also proves this. 6 Revolution/points instead of 3.

◆ T.D.A ◆
May 31, 2008, 01:50 PM
The great thing Kishi has done here is that he has shown Itachi to be a true ninja and one that wanted to protect the village, the kinda sad thing for me is that Sasuke has decided t go against Konoha, but what did Itachi tell Naruto? Naruto is Itachi's back up plan, Itachi hoped Sasuke would try to protect Konoha but this hasn't happened. In some ways Itachi is at fault, he wanted Sasuke to have hatred, this caused Sasuke to go away from Konoha and Naruto. That same thrust for revenge has caused Sasuke to want to destroy Konoha. In my opinion, Itachi knew his plan wasn't perfect but he loved Sasuke so much, that he was prepared to task the risk. But then there's Naruto, remember when Itachi wanted to speak to Naruto? This has meaning and Naruto was able to make Itachi smile, this is the great thing about Naruto. Naruto isn't about jutsus or being a genius in battle, he is about a ninja who has the will of fire that will never give up and try to hold onto special bonds. I think Naruto's determination re-assured Itachi that Sasuke would still have a loving brother.

I always hear people say that Sasuke is Kishi's favourite character but to me Naruto is Kishi's favourite character. Kishi has given Naruto a special power, Jiraiya said it best, it is not about how many jutsus you know it's about the will to never give up. Kishi has given Naruto much more depth, Sasuke may has EMS, and a whole lot of other techniques, but could he see through ambiguous things. He had the sharingan but when Itachi asked Sasuke what he saw with his eyes, he saw the wrong thing.

Who has the better eyes Naruto or Sasuke? Naruto does.

Naruto can see the good side of people and also knows to never break bonds, furthermore feels for people, a bit like Goku. Who also has the will of fire.

An author who gives a character, the will to never give, a power to change people, and determination and love like no other....surely Naruto is Kishi's favourite character, why else give such fitting attributes.

P.S Plz mind my spelling. :)

iThePirate
May 31, 2008, 03:14 PM
nicely put GK, very nicely indeed :nod

i still think sasuke's a little bitch, EMS or not... >_>

Gold Knight
May 31, 2008, 04:47 PM
Good call T.D.A on Kishimoto effectively writing Itachi as more of a ninja than we all suspected. He was indeed that, a ninja, in almost every aspect of what he was doing... except one thing.

As Zabuza once observed a long time ago, ninjas, however good they are, can't completely abandon their humanity. We saw that Itachi faithfully carried out his duties only to a point - he couldn't hurt his brother.

That's a running theme throughout the Naruto series, and Kishimoto just touched on it again - and quite nicely at that.

In some ways Itachi is at fault, he wanted Sasuke to have hatred, this caused Sasuke to go away from Konoha and Naruto. That same thrust for revenge has caused Sasuke to want to destroy Konoha.

Well, you could probably blame Madara more for that. The one kink in Itachi's plans. Itachi probably had no chance to beat Madara because of the difference in the power of their respective Sharingans.

That's why just to be sure, Itachi implanted Amaterasu into Sasuke's eyes and had it programmed to terminate Madara at the first glance of his Sharingan. Obviously, Madara escaped and Itachi's 'Plan A' failed right there and then.

I think though, Itachi still had a 'Plan B.' He may have been following Naruto closely all this time and he also had to know how Naruto was able to save Gaara from the Akatsuki. So he checked up on Naruto to see if he still truly cared about Sasuke.

When he realized that Naruto still considered Sasuke a brother despite his being a traitor, that's when he smiled and figured that there is still a possibility of Sasuke going back to Konohagakure if he has such good friends. So if his plan against Madara should fail, he knew that Sasuke didn't completely break all ties with Konohagakure - yet. If he had, he would have killed Naruto and Sakura, after all - whatever his whims may have been at the time.

I always hear people say that Sasuke is Kishi's favourite character but to me Naruto is Kishi's favourite character. Kishi has given Naruto a special power, Jiraiya said it best, it is not about how many jutsus you know it's about the will to never give up. Kishi has given Naruto much more depth, Sasuke may has EMS, and a whole lot of other techniques, but could he see through ambiguous things. He had the sharingan but when Itachi asked Sasuke what he saw with his eyes, he saw the wrong thing.

Naruto can see the good side of people and also knows to never break bonds, furthermore feels for people, a bit like Goku. Who also has the will of fire.

An author who gives a character, the will to never give, a power to change people, and determination and love like no other....surely Naruto is Kishi's favourite character, why else give such fitting attributes.

Nicely said, again. I don't know which character is Kishimoto's favorite but I think Sasuke is just more of a drawing challenge to him, and because of that, as well as Sasuke's popularity in Japan, he has a certain amount of pride invested in the character. But he has said before in interviews that he most identified with Naruto from when he was a kid himself. Now, we're finally seeing the story start to turn that way. Naruto is now going to have to protect his home, friends, and country against Sasuke and his team.

Despite that, though, I DO think Sasuke has just now become much more of an interesting character to me.

He clearly blames Konohagakure for even recruiting Itachi to turn against his own clan. But if he had been chosen as the double agent, would Sasuke have stayed with his clan instead? Or... would he have done the same thing.

Nope. I think, he would have fought FOR his clan. Sasuke was always crazy about his father, his brother, and especially had dreams of becoming one of the Konoha Police Force. That dream has already been shattered.

So, Sasuke probably would have done the opposite of Itachi. And now, we're seeing him go against Itachi's wishes. He always fancied himself an avenger. His job's not finished yet. He killed his traitor brother, now he's going to avenge his clan by making Konohagakure wish they had just gone to war with the Uchihas all along.

Only one kid has a chance of stopping him, that's Naruto.

igotthegoods
June 01, 2008, 01:48 AM
GK! as always, i loved reading your thoughts :wtf

the pain/jiraiya fight was certainly one of the low points in the series, so it's understandable that your interest should wane, but doesn't it feel great to be excited about naruto again?! i think so :amuse

well, i'm not a big uchiha fan either, but i have to say that i'm finally taking a bit of an interest in sasuke. to think that he's probably going to end up as the primary antagonist. wow, just wow! whether or not he has the EMS now, i don't know. but yeah, he probably does. i'm sure kishi's been saving that perfect kaleidescope shape for sasuke all along.

as for itachi, like you, i originally wanted him to turn out to be a bad guy through and through, but it turns out that i don't hate the way things turned out after all! who knew?! itachi's story is truly heartbreaking. though not a saint by any means (he did slaughter his clan after all), he carried such a heavy burden and almost nothing he did was selfish. his last words were particularly touching :crying

Garvan
June 01, 2008, 04:09 AM
An insightful take, and a pleasure to read!

One thing I would add though, and that is: I wonder if you may not be making the same misinterpretation Sasuke is, that Danzou = Konoha.

Considering the sensibilities of the Sandaime Hokage, I don't see him as someone who would have ever gone along with what transpired in the name of the leadership of the village. And given what we've already seen of Danzou's ruthlessness, and what we've heard from Madara of his attachment to Senju pride, I wouldn't put it past him to have ordered the massacre on a pretext, perhaps even as Sarutobi and the Uchihas were about to come to terms, just to make sure that couldn't happen.

If Danzou isn't Konoha, then the massacre doesn't belong to Konoha, and Itachi is just a pawn whose power and PTSD from the last ninja war was taken advantage of by Danzou, and likely Madara.

(If Madara is speaking truthfully, then Danzou followed his path because he feared a reprise of Madara's challenge to the Shodaime Hokage and to Senju supremacy. The funny thing is, the two are so playing into each other's hands, that they may well be in cahoots.)

From the very beginning of the manga, I wondered how a village under a leader, the Sandaime Hokage, who showed such love to those he led and served, could have not only allowed such a crime as the genocide of an entire clan to happen, and at the same time be doing so little to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Now it's clear that there was not a single Konoha leadership and not a single vision of Konoha, something that has been hinted at for a while since we were initially introduced to Danzou. Now we find out which Konoha will emerge as the true one. Sasuke's new mission forces the issue, and it will be up to Naruto and everyone up to and including Tsunade to choose.

Goji
June 01, 2008, 04:12 AM
Long time no review, GK! That was a nice bundle of thoughts you shared with us. I still very much enjoy reading your thoughts on this manga. Reminds me of the old GK-super-reviews... ^^
Although we have nothing to complain about now because patedecarne also does a wonderful job making Narutoreviews!

Well, if you have two best friends, which one would you decide between as the "BEST" friend to kill to get your MS? xD

I think when Sasuke thought back to Itachi being his brother when he was a kid - he was basically a "best friend" to him. And he always had been. And I think that moment when Sasuke realized he had just lost "his best friend" - he cried. And then his eyes opened, and presto, there was the MS.

I think it's irrelevant how many "best friends" you have, when it comes to activating the MS.
The activation mechanism, in my opinion, works on emotion only, not 'recognition'. With that I mean, it's not like the sharingan knows "ah this is my 'owner''s best friend and when he kills him I have to evolve into MS". No, I think the activation happens on feeling, emotion, just like you said at the end of your comment. The MS was there after Sasuke had all the thoughts about his brother, after he felt love for him once again, after he felt regret that he lost him, after he came to realize what he had done. It evolves through the pain one endures after killing your best friend.

That is also why he didn't have the MS right after the fight with Itachi, he only gained them after he found out the truth about Itachi, and thought about him once again as a loving brother and best friend.

This still doesn't explain why he doesn't just have a 3 tomoe MS form, so I also believe this is EMS. But this has nothing to do with 'emotion' in my opinion. As we all know one can gain EMS by 'transplanting'/'fusing' your brothers eyes/powers with your own.
And that is exactly what Itachi has done at the end of their fight; he 'transplanted' his sharinganpowers into Sasuke's sharingan. This, IMO, gives the same effect as the eye-transplant/fusing thing.

So there you have it, due to the fight with his brother and the powerexchange at the end, both requirements are met at the same time!
After Sasuke shed those tears for his brother/best friend his normal sharingan went to MS and evolved straight through into an EMS. n_n

Wow, that was more difficult to explain than I thought... >_< :P
Hope you enjoy my theory.

Gaara_dono
June 01, 2008, 04:29 AM
I went by a quick assumption that because Itachi had died and transferred all his eye jutsus to Sasuke, and because his death had awakened Sasuke's own MS, that was the EMS we were seeing - especially because of its almost perfect "kaleidescope" shape - but if I jumped to conclusions too soon, I apologize. ^^;
That can be.... I too would understand if he got EMS "by the book" if I can say so. But If it's Sharingod no Sasuke and his devoted father Kishimoto we can say that rules doesn't apply on him ^^ :XD.

Agh, you just reminded me of something else I wanted to comment on.

Yes. Well, Danzou has ALREADY sent somebody to kill Sasuke. That's the odd thing, people. That was the original objective of Sai when he joined Team 7. And I had to really wonder about that - do they just not care anymore about what Itachi might do in response?

I think they still do. But Danzou acted on his own there, and simply wanted to try to make it look like it was the doing of a random, recently-hired Orochimaru thug. But that Sai didn't succeed wasn't exactly a crushing blow to Danzou either. And I suppose that's why Sai didn't get too badly reprimanded and was allowed his chance to join the team.

But anyway. Yeah, regarding what Danzou and the elders might do. Well, they won't be handcuffed anymore. They'll want Sasuke dead. And so, that means Naruto will have even more pressing issues on his mind...
The Danzou matter ^^.... That should be discussed in another topic.
But; on the light of the recent events and revelations; I see Danzou as a man of strategy... He took Itachi threatening and menaces for real... He waited and spied on him.... Once he knew he was in his dead end (taking medication and all [terminal phase of his disease]); he ordered the hit on Sasuke (executed by Sai and he failed in his mission (which is a relief for Sasuke; Itachi; Naruto and all the Naruto readers :rofl ^^).
And in the future chapters... We'll see mainly all about the Konoha preparations for the upcoming fight... From Tsunade getting in touch of Jiraiya's death... To the Elders and Danzou decisions... And getting to the cream of the manga... The Konoha fight.

And About the manga.... I really predict it will end soon... Around the 500th chapter and no more :XD
No more villains... The "Hawk" team is the last ones among the series foes. Why is that? Kishi is ending the manga very quick... No more character development; I hardly see any development of the Kabutomaru character as a main villain of the manga... Plus the Suna and the other countries were really neglected from the "Rescuing Gaara" Arc...

I foresee:
1-] Developing Sakura; Kakashi and Naruto (as main character of the manga)... Maybe Hinata (for some reason [yeah I'm a NaruxHina lover :XD])
2-] Developing Suigetsu; Juugo and Karin (as main villain of the manga)... Maybe Kisame and Zetsu too (Especially Zetsu... We don't know a damn thing about him ^^")
3-] Tsunade's death... Ending all the Sannin legacy... And making some character (Sakura) mature and see things more on the reality then influences of lost freindship (love maybe ^^).
4-] The Elders death too... By the process the manga is going on... Eliminating the ancients and making room for the "future generation" as Sandaime dreamed of.
5-] If the Naruto vs. Sasuke fight is gonna start... I predict a change in Sasuke's mind (due to Naruto's power to change people)... And then the revengeful and outrageous fight for the future of Konoha: Sasuke vs. Madara... Naruto vs. Pein.

That's all for now.... Lot's of Ideas in mind!

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 01, 2008, 06:09 AM
I don't think Pein is much of a villain, just a bit deluded, pein is the sort of villain that is destined to be changed by Naruto especially if it is Nagato. I can see Pein going onto Konoha's side. I would be great to see Pein/Nagato as himself vs Madara, Sasuke vs Naruto.

kadoman
June 01, 2008, 06:46 AM
Ah, GK, you know I don't have much time these days but I'm taking the time to say that I loved reading your review and I agree 100% with everything you said (like I always do). You just said what I feel about the whole thing word for word.

I too, am kinda glad that Itachi has turned out to be the person he is (from a literary point of view) because it means Kishi hasn't denied him responsibility for murdering his family and his clan but at the same time, has given him a more human element. We understand his reasons for doing what he did, even though those reasons don't make what he did right. Itachi turns out to be even more complex than I'd hoped for.

On the one hand, yes, as you say, Itachi actively avoided confrontation with Leaf ninja yet on the other, he put Kakashi through hell on earth and put his 'beloved' brother in a coma after breaking his limb. This guy is no saint. Neither is he completely evil.

He's still a person you wouldn't really want to be friends with; he's still dangerous and unpredictable but he does have a heart and what he thought was a noble purpose - just didn't go about things the right way (the Naruto way).

As for Sasuke being the main antagonist, I don't disagree with that statement nor is it a stretch to make such a statement. Sure, he's not an out-and-out antagonist in the same sense as Madara, but he is Naruto's arch rival as he has always been since the beginning of the manga. Now this turn of events puts Sasuke squarely back in his familiar role of being the yin to Naruto's yang (did he ever leave that role?) and in my opinion, that was always the manga's greatest strength and draw card.

I'm with you GK, I'm VERY darn excited about the future of the manga now after being completely fed up with it and I can't wait to see what else Kishi has got in store for us.

Only thing I'd say is I hope Naruto does get a look in and isn't relegated to the wings the way he has been for so long now. Oh, and just what the heck is Naruto going to do to face up to Sasuke?

Well, maybe Sasuke's new-found powers is what it's going to take to get Naruto to progress and improve, to get him to once more desire to overcome an obstacle. In this case, the obstacle is once again Sasuke, just like the good old days. Well, that's my prediction anyway.

Bring it on Kishi!!

Gold Knight
June 01, 2008, 03:47 PM
GK! as always, i loved reading your thoughts :wtf

I love hearing your thoughts too, that applies to all of you. Keep them coming. It helps clarify my own thoughts for sure. :D

the pain/jiraiya fight was certainly one of the low points in the series, so it's understandable that your interest should wane, but doesn't it feel great to be excited about naruto again?! i think so :amuse

Yeah. I think I would have been fine if Kishimoto hadn't shown much of the Pain/Jiraiya battle at all, but then I suppose Jiraiya fans would have felt cheated. Maybe, if Konan had been more involved, instead of Pain just being the main opponent, the battle would have been a lot more interesting. Oh well.

But yeah, it's good to be upbeat about Naruto again. :)

well, i'm not a big uchiha fan either, but i have to say that i'm finally taking a bit of an interest in sasuke. to think that he's probably going to end up as the primary antagonist. wow, just wow! whether or not he has the EMS now, i don't know. but yeah, he probably does. i'm sure kishi's been saving that perfect kaleidescope shape for sasuke all along.

as for itachi, like you, i originally wanted him to turn out to be a bad guy through and through, but it turns out that i don't hate the way things turned out after all! who knew?! itachi's story is truly heartbreaking. though not a saint by any means (he did slaughter his clan after all), he carried such a heavy burden and almost nothing he did was selfish. his last words were particularly touching :crying

It's so obvious Kishimoto had all that well thought out now. It's also very thought-provoking, which is good in itself as well. It wasn't just a throwaway filler battle in the end, thank goodness! :D

An insightful take, and a pleasure to read!

Aw. Thanks, Garvan. :)

One thing I would add though, and that is: I wonder if you may not be making the same misinterpretation Sasuke is, that Danzou = Konoha.

Considering the sensibilities of the Sandaime Hokage, I don't see him as someone who would have ever gone along with what transpired in the name of the leadership of the village. And given what we've already seen of Danzou's ruthlessness, and what we've heard from Madara of his attachment to Senju pride, I wouldn't put it past him to have ordered the massacre on a pretext, perhaps even as Sarutobi and the Uchihas were about to come to terms, just to make sure that couldn't happen.

If Danzou isn't Konoha, then the massacre doesn't belong to Konoha, and Itachi is just a pawn whose power and PTSD from the last ninja war was taken advantage of by Danzou, and likely Madara.

(If Madara is speaking truthfully, then Danzou followed his path because he feared a reprise of Madara's challenge to the Shodaime Hokage and to Senju supremacy. The funny thing is, the two are so playing into each other's hands, that they may well be in cahoots.)

From the very beginning of the manga, I wondered how a village under a leader, the Sandaime Hokage, who showed such love to those he led and served, could have not only allowed such a crime as the genocide of an entire clan to happen, and at the same time be doing so little to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Now it's clear that there was not a single Konoha leadership and not a single vision of Konoha, something that has been hinted at for a while since we were initially introduced to Danzou. Now we find out which Konoha will emerge as the true one. Sasuke's new mission forces the issue, and it will be up to Naruto and everyone up to and including Tsunade to choose.

Very good thoughts all. Ah, politics. You gotta love it. :p

Such an extremist action too. "Hey these people are plotting an uprising against us. Let's wipe them out." Though it's not unheard of at all in feudal ages, which Naruto is set in, kinda.

I'm still kind of surprised that Sandaime allowed it to happen, but then I suppose he was getting old, and he HAD just come out of retirement. I don't know if Yondaime would have allowed it to happen since he was in his prime. Who knows.

Anyway, I actually did take in consideration that Danzou and not the whole of Konoha may ultimately be the object of Sasuke's revenge, but I don't know. I think Sasuke blames all the elders of Konohagakure equally, the government basically, for even allowing such a thing to happen. And in this case, the government of Konoha = pretty much all the ninjas that protect it.

Although I guess Sasuke could just take the fight to the Root organization.

Long time no review, GK! That was a nice bundle of thoughts you shared with us. I still very much enjoy reading your thoughts on this manga. Reminds me of the old GK-super-reviews... ^^
Although we have nothing to complain about now because patedecarne also does a wonderful job making Narutoreviews!

Oh? Good for Pat. I'm probably not going back to my weekly "super-reviews" any time soon but I might pipe in at the end of every month, maybe. :)

I think it's irrelevant how many "best friends" you have, when it comes to activating the MS.

The activation mechanism, in my opinion, works on emotion only, not 'recognition'. With that I mean, it's not like the sharingan knows "ah this is my 'owner''s best friend and when he kills him I have to evolve into MS". No, I think the activation happens on feeling, emotion, just like you said at the end of your comment. The MS was there after Sasuke had all the thoughts about his brother, after he felt love for him once again, after he felt regret that he lost him, after he came to realize what he had done. It evolves through the pain one endures after killing your best friend.

That is also why he didn't have the MS right after the fight with Itachi, he only gained them after he found out the truth about Itachi, and thought about him once again as a loving brother and best friend.

This still doesn't explain why he doesn't just have a 3 tomoe MS form, so I also believe this is EMS. But this has nothing to do with 'emotion' in my opinion. As we all know one can gain EMS by 'transplanting'/'fusing' your brothers eyes/powers with your own.

And that is exactly what Itachi has done at the end of their fight; he 'transplanted' his sharinganpowers into Sasuke's sharingan. This, IMO, gives the same effect as the eye-transplant/fusing thing.

So there you have it, due to the fight with his brother and the powerexchange at the end, both requirements are met at the same time!
After Sasuke shed those tears for his brother/best friend his normal sharingan went to MS and evolved straight through into an EMS. n_n

Wow, that was more difficult to explain than I thought... >_< :P
Hope you enjoy my theory.

Uh. That's basically what I said though. XD

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that it was due to the number of best friends that Sasuke received his MS, I was just explaining that it didn't necessarily have to be Naruto that died for him to get the MS, that he realized Itachi was a best friend as well.

I also agree that getting the EMS had nothing to do with emotion. It was simply that Itachi transferred his eye techniques to Sasuke. But first, Sasuke had to develop his own MS, and he did that through emotion of remembering Itachi as his "best friend." That in turn led to him skipping the ordinary MS and getting the EMS right away - or at least I think so, anyway.

Anyways looks like we see eye to eye on this one. :)

And About the manga.... I really predict it will end soon... Around the 500th chapter and no more :XD

I doubt that. It feels like we've only hit the halfway mark in Naruto, actually. If not halfway, then 2/3 point. I say 650-700 chapters at least. I think it'll last as long as the editors want Kishimoto to keep it going. It's a virtual gold mine for Shueisha.

The story is just finally getting more epic, that's all.

No more villains... The "Hawk" team is the last ones among the series foes. Why is that? Kishi is ending the manga very quick... No more character development; I hardly see any development of the Kabutomaru character as a main villain of the manga... Plus the Suna and the other countries were really neglected from the "Rescuing Gaara" Arc...

Kishimoto has always liked to keep hidden subplots throughout the series, though, planning to develop them more later on, while teasing us with minor developments, like Itachi for so long now. He knew the Itachi subplot would end soon, so he had to create another one - or two - or three. That's:

1) Kabutomaru
2) Pain and Konan
3) Team Hawk (besides Sasuke)

Naruto is really not just a story that's supposed to be about ninjas, it is a story ninjas would tell - one full of intrigue.

As for Sunagakure, we did get a lot of information on Chiyo and Sasori. They were the story there. We also learned a little history of the Sand Village. But the main focus, was, and it should have been, on Team 7 anyway - and especially Sakura, as we had to see how stronger she had become.

I do feel like the other Konoha teams were cheated though. Then again, we did get a major dramatic event with the death of Team 10's Asuma.

But the Part 2 really has been all about Sasuke so far and the hunt for him. And I think now, that's about to end. Sasuke's story of revenge has been told. I'm pretty dead sure the focus will squarely fall back on Naruto again. I think that's why I'm excited again. At the same time, I gotta say Sasuke has become a little more of an interesting character to me too.

I don't think Pein is much of a villain, just a bit deluded, pein is the sort of villain that is destined to be changed by Naruto especially if it is Nagato. I can see Pein going onto Konoha's side. I would be great to see Pein/Nagato as himself vs Madara, Sasuke vs Naruto.

There's still a lot we don't know about Pain. He was very clear that he was no longer Yahiko anymore, though, and I think he's also no longer Nagato as well. Rather, I think it's a little like Orochimaru when he absorbs people. These people become part of him, and their thoughts are entwined with his own, but ultimately Orochimaru is the dominant personality, without any chance of escape for the "enslaved minds" within his body. I think that's the same deal with Pain.

But I can't see Pain going over to Konohagakure. Nor Naruto forgiving him. Not after he killed Jiraiya.

Ah, GK, you know I don't have much time these days but I'm taking the time to say that I loved reading your review and I agree 100% with everything you said (like I always do). You just said what I feel about the whole thing word for word.

I too, am kinda glad that Itachi has turned out to be the person he is (from a literary point of view) because it means Kishi hasn't denied him responsibility for murdering his family and his clan but at the same time, has given him a more human element. We understand his reasons for doing what he did, even though those reasons don't make what he did right. Itachi turns out to be even more complex than I'd hoped for.

On the one hand, yes, as you say, Itachi actively avoided confrontation with Leaf ninja yet on the other, he put Kakashi through hell on earth and put his 'beloved' brother in a coma after breaking his limb. This guy is no saint. Neither is he completely evil.

Agreed, although I wonder if Itachi actually didn't let Kakashi live in the end. Who knows... heh.

But yeah, he did cause both Kakashi and Sasuke a tremendous amount of pain. But no pain, no gain, eh? And Itachi did have to convince the rest of the Akatsuki that he was still with them, after all.

He's still a person you wouldn't really want to be friends with; he's still dangerous and unpredictable but he does have a heart and what he thought was a noble purpose - just didn't go about things the right way (the Naruto way).

Yep, in the end I think he was a very flawed human being, even so he was incredibly dangerous. Good thing he was actually on Konoha's side. :P

As for Sasuke being the main antagonist, I don't disagree with that statement nor is it a stretch to make such a statement. Sure, he's not an out-and-out antagonist in the same sense as Madara, but he is Naruto's arch rival as he has always been since the beginning of the manga. Now this turn of events puts Sasuke squarely back in his familiar role of being the yin to Naruto's yang (did he ever leave that role?) and in my opinion, that was always the manga's greatest strength and draw card.

I'm with you GK, I'm VERY darn excited about the future of the manga now after being completely fed up with it and I can't wait to see what else Kishi has got in store for us.

Only thing I'd say is I hope Naruto does get a look in and isn't relegated to the wings the way he has been for so long now. Oh, and just what the heck is Naruto going to do to face up to Sasuke?

Well, maybe Sasuke's new-found powers is what it's going to take to get Naruto to progress and improve, to get him to once more desire to overcome an obstacle. In this case, the obstacle is once again Sasuke, just like the good old days. Well, that's my prediction anyway.

Bring it on Kishi!!

Haha, YEAH!!! I'm so ready too, bring it on Kishimoto!!! ^^

Gaara_dono
June 01, 2008, 04:44 PM
I doubt that. It feels like we've only hit the halfway mark in Naruto, actually. If not halfway, then 2/3 point. I say 650-700 chapters at least. I think it'll last as long as the editors want Kishimoto to keep it going. It's a virtual gold mine for Shueisha.

The story is just finally getting more epic, that's all.
I don't wanna see it if Kishimoto is unwilling to put his heart and mind in it. Thou many of the Naruto fans doesn't see the end coming... I must say that this series has to end up really soon or it will turn backward on the level of the suspense and the intrigue.

gfire2
June 01, 2008, 05:49 PM
nice to see u bac GK, i love reading ur reviews on naruto it allows me to pick up stuff i miss :D

but i believe sasuke has the EMS, sasuke was unconscious for a while so god noes wat madara did

Yarias
June 02, 2008, 01:28 AM
Excellent review GK!

With the length of time spent away from Jiraya, I've actually been wondering if we will see Tsunade receive the toad, or if we will just see the Konoha gang come back to a funeral. I'm particularly interested in both Naruto's and Kakashi's reaction to Jiraya's death. How much does Kakashi know after seeing Madara's Sharingan? I bet you anything he was going to tell Jiraya about it, had he still been alive.

Anyways, like you said, I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming chapters! I've been trying to avoid the weekly spoiler topics (somewhat successfully), but I might not be able to anymore. :darn

ChuckinUpDueces
June 02, 2008, 01:34 AM
Nice Confession GK. You've managed to open a can of worms the size of the Tobi=Obito argument with that lil EMS comment ;)

Really, it's an interesting theory, and I've seen a couple people agree with it, but I'm still not convinced.

First, Tobi seems to know that Itachi was able to implant his Sharingan's Amaterasu in ONE of Sasuke's eyes, which coincidently, looked like Itachi's MS when Madara got hit. Yet now, Sasuke has a brand spanking new design in BOTH eyes that DOES NOT look like a combination of 2 MS, but rather, only 1. Madara's EMS is an unmistakable combination of his own on top of his brother's design.

Second, the Kaleidoscope shape reference was so bang on I nearly passed out after i read it lol! This pattern leads back to Orochimaru's assessment that Sasuke's eyes held more potential than Itachi's. The fact that we've been hearing references to kaleidoscopes=mangekyou and then one appearing in Sasuke's eyes' is too much of a coincidence to not be linked to the reason of this particular design.

Third, during Itachi's history lesson on Madara and then during his Genjutsu battle with Sasuke where he motivated Sasuke to fight desperately, we see a demon with 4 eye sockets appear. After Madara has taken his brother's eyes the demon appears behind him with all 4 eye sockets showing Sharingan. When Itachi is revealing his false motives to Sasuke the demon appears behind Itachi with 2 eye sockets showing sharingan and 2 eye sockets showing empty. Thus, EMS is the power of 4 eyeballs, and not 2.

It's funny that you mention the battle with Jiraiya because I went back and reread that part of the series not too long ago. I see where you are coming from about losing interest in weekly reviews but not the story. I find personally that Naruto is a much more enjoyable reading experience when you don't have to wait to find out/speculate what happens next :p

Anyways, why wasn't Jiraiya properly briefed on the abilities of Akatsuki? It seems to me that Tsunade or someone forgot to tell him about the immortals that killed Asuma. Maybe Jiraiya still would not have survived if he had beheaded/disemboweled the 3 Pein's instead of stabbing them, but it would have shown that crucial information is being shared within Konoha at the very least. Or at the very most made better use of those
?summoned? stone swords :)

As always it's a pleasure having a glimpse into the mind of a fellow manga reader, CHEERS

juUnior
June 02, 2008, 03:33 AM
GK Your back! For a review! Even if it's just only one right now, I don't mind xD Because of this:

:wtf

I still don't really plan on writing weekly reviews again (but then you never know, don't write me off just yet)
Yeah, yeah, I always have hope, that someday You will be back <for example even just right now You've pumped all of the sudden :p>

Yeah, I know... I'm sure many people have already discussed and even reviewed these chapters, and I'm not quite sure if I'll be repeating what anybody else is saying here. If I am, please forgive me. I'll TRY to be quick.
In Your words it is moreeee interesting <forgive me other fans! :p But GK is a person, who I admire for talking just liek that about Naruto manga xD>

But I never stopped reading. Once you've been as obsessed with a story as I have been with Naruto, you tend to want to see it through to the end, after all...
Oh yes! *x* That's fans/maniacs of Naruto as we xP

Kishimoto's mastery of human anatomy and the beautiful, creative backgrounds and angles that he would convey in his scenes.
Yes, Your one of the few people who I know, who like me also can pride Kishi for angles in, for example, battle through panels.

I may not THAT big an Uchiha fan, but I DID take a great interest in Itachi.
Man, maybe I'm neutral fan to Sasuke, but I was always fan of Itachi, and really, he and his person/personality was always intriguing me, from the moments Saske talked about his older brother, to the first arriving of Itachi and Kisame to village <first to us, fans of course ;p> Yeah, I will say as Fugaku said to Itachi <in similar way :p>: Itachi was the link of interest between me and the Uchiha family plot xP

While reading the battle, though, I felt that Kishimoto had turned Itachi a bit too two-dimensional - WAS Itachi really just a raving power-hungry lunatic?
hmm I agree: for example, I felt that Itachi in the battle with Sasuke is underrated: for me he doesn't seemed SO powerful, and after seeing Susanoo I thought: wtf? Why he is not slashing that sword at Saske? <and few chapters later we have an important answer xD>

hehe goodie :p I wondered: why Saske had won in so pathetic way xD

Yes, and by deafiting him, he made actually Saske a hero of the village <of course those 3 old retards wouldn't agree, but they would have no other choice>

Oh, and will Naruto ever shag Sakura???
xDxDxD

You may be right that that might just be Sasuke's normal MS and not EMS. But if it is just a normal MS, that's a damn close to a perfect "kaleidoscope-shaped" Sharingan. I suppose that's where I got my assumption from.
Actually I think the same because of one thing: I don't think Itachi wanted to give MS to Saske, knowing that he would lose the sight after using it.. he would rather try to give him EMS :x <yeah, even if the way it was portraied with Madara doeanst seem similar>

Good point xD

btw. Itachi = another great character made by Kishi in Naruto :wtf

Franckie
June 03, 2008, 06:27 PM
Excellent review, GK. And I have to say it's been a while.

I find it hard to believe Itachi had no intention of killing Sasuke during their respective fight. I suppose Itachi had initially plan on losing the fight since Sasuke would confront him after obtaining the MS, but Sasuke confronted him without it. He used Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu on Sasuke with the expectation it'd work, but he was surprised Sasuke defeated his strongest genjutsu and managed to avoid a technique deemed "unavoidable".

How in the world is Naruto EVER going to do it? HOW??? How is he going to convince Sasuke not to wreck hell on his home?

Sasuke has officially become the "Vegeta" character he was always destined to be. Sasuke played right into fate's hands.

If only there were some way to break the cycle of fate? Some way to change his mind? Perhaps a well-placed sincere monologue about fate, hope in the future, and discarding the past? But who to give it... who?

HOW is he going to EVEN friggin' survive against Sasuke now that he has the freaking Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan, to add to his already dangerous repertoire of lightning jutsus!??

Naruto's character-shield will come up with something.:XD

Oh, and will Naruto ever shag Sakura???

I'm still rooting for Hinata. That's a pairing that doesn't need Sasuke in order to work.

I hadn't had a strong interest in Naruto's plot for quite sometime. The number one thing I dislike most about this series is the Konoha-centric plot. I practically gave up on this manga's plot after it was revealed a Uchiha runs Akatsuki (the Akatsuki plotline was good because it had little to do with Konoha and Uchihas).

But then again, I don't really read Naruto for its plot, characters etc. I read it to see fights and look at creative jutsu because this series has mainly been about "magic" ever since chapter one.

Pein is far too gone for him to be "changed". He seeks the elimination of the ninja world and baleeted the man who taught him how to survive in such a harsh world (Jiraiya). I suppose you could say the relationship he'll have with Naruto would be akin to what went on with Goku and Freeza in the sense Pein will be responsible for Naruto undergoing some hefty development here soon.

Anyway, Pein saved us from the failure that is Orochimaru. Oro's tendency of fleeing from fights and sparing the main characters, specfically the main character, made him get really old really fast. I find Pein to be the most interesting villain at the moment, because he's something fresh and new. He doesn't use snakes, isn't a Uchiha, and isn't from Konoha. Lastly, with this detail being the most important, would be Pein's desire to unleash armageddon.

Besides, it's getting old seeing the more important villains have Sasuke as their stated target. Pein is the only "main villain" along with Kyuubi that doesn't need to directly interact with Sasuke. A breath of fresh Sasuke free air is indeed refreshing.

Lelo
June 03, 2008, 07:32 PM
Gold Knight you truly are Legendary, you said that beautifully, there are a lot of haters out there who say Kishi is losing his touch, they all should read this thread, thanks for the thread

IchigoSoul
June 04, 2008, 04:11 AM
Nice confession=P

I think his EMS is near-perfect, if you could get any better from the EMS. His EMS and MS is recieved at the same time, probably making it a perfect fusion, unlike Madara who had the MS for a long time before getting the EMS. Because Sasuke triggered the tap, the MS got formed, at the same time, Itachi's MS got fused with his...Its different from Madara, hence explaining its perfect 6 tome shape...

Think it like Ichigo from bleach, he turned into a perfect hybrid(IMO) unlike the arrancars or vaizards who had one power before getting the other.

IgnorantSage
June 04, 2008, 09:10 AM
Great post.

And I had the same feelings you did for most of Naruto after the timeskip. Only difference is I still haven't had my faith in Kishi restored.

I guess the reaction the latest chapter solicited from me is different from yours. I'm even more disappointed by the irrationality of Sasuke's character, heck Naruto is a lot smarter than him.

I still keep reading though, hoping to read a chapter that will restore my faith in Naruto (the manga) the same way the latest chapters did for you.

◆ T.D.A ◆
June 04, 2008, 12:41 PM
Great post.

And I had the same feelings you did for most of Naruto after the timeskip. Only difference is I still haven't had my faith in Kishi restored.

I guess the reaction the latest chapter solicited from me is different from yours. I'm even more disappointed by the irrationality of Sasuke's character, heck Naruto is a lot smarter than him.

I still keep reading though, hoping to read a chapter that will restore my faith in Naruto (the manga) the same way the latest chapters did for you.

what are you looking for?

IgnorantSage
June 04, 2008, 10:51 PM
what are you looking for?

I'm not really sure. I'm not actually looking for a chapter that will blow me away with revelations and oh-wow-didn't-see-that-coming plot twists but I'm hoping that the manga will stop treating itself too seriously and having too much drama and dragged-out speeches and fights. It's starting to feel like a seinen manga with very shonen characters and it just doesn't seem to fit. Not that I have anything against seinen.

A chapter showing more love to other characters, how they've improved and what's up with them, hinting that Sasuke is not the only important character in the manga or something. I can't really specify since I'm not a writer myself, but as a reader I'm currently unhappy with the way Naruto (the manga) is going.

Of course having great plot twists and surprises would also be great but the recent 'Itachi is a good guy' has been foreseen by other readers (I'm not claiming to be one of them but I always had strong suspicions).

Don't worry though, I'm not an irrational Naruto flamer. I still read it, sometimes for kicks but still hoping for Kishi to pick up on his other characters which have been going to waste. I have a feeling that in a few months, Naruto is really going to keep up.

Gold Knight
June 04, 2008, 11:37 PM
Great post.

I can understand that. But I think that's the point. Kishimoto said recently in a Shonen Jump magazine interview (American, not Japanese) that Kakashi, even though he sees Sasuke as a genius with tons of potential, would consider him a disappointment. That's NOT because he's weak. It's because he's just making all the choices that Kakashi would consider to be ultimately selfish. And I think Kishimoto is reflecting on that again right now with Sasuke's declaration of purpose here. Sasuke is not a bad kid. He just grew up knowing nothing but the desire to attain revenge... I think it was just natural that he would go from Itachi to wanting redemption for his clan against the people he now believes to have truly killed them.

In the end, this manga IS about Naruto. Now that we know that Kishimoto intended for Sasuke to be an antagonist (whether main or not) we expect Naruto (as the "hero" of the story) to be coming with a better perspective to counter Sasuke's own flawed view on things.

Oh, and just as a sidenote, I'm glad people are enjoying my thoughts, and I'm still enjoying all of your posts, guys, and I appreciate seeing and reading them all very much. :)

bigtymer32
June 05, 2008, 05:45 PM
nice review i agree with ya on alot of it.people just need to let the story develop in order to make more epic battles down the road you need character development and sasuke has just been showed his true purpose in the story now hopefully kishi does the same for naruto,kakashi(who i think when everything is said and done will either be killed or sacrifice himself.i hope i'm wrong but you never know)and sakura.

Nasuke
June 06, 2008, 09:18 PM
As human beings, we share a very common problem: our ability to not be satisfied with what we are granted. I am not stating that Kishimoto is a god, but as a story teller and as an artist, he likes to express himself in his own way. It was only during the fight between Sasuke and Deidera that he gave in to what the fans wanted: what really happened to Sasuke?

He did not just give into what the fans wanted, but moreover, he linked to the Uchiha clan overall and decided to deal with the brotherly issue at the same moment. After the great battle between Sasuke and Itachi, did people think that Kishimoto would just end a character that he announced as his favourite? Absolutely not, and that is why he explained Itachi's true nature: in order for Sasuke to gain a new goal as he would have had no purpose. Sasuke's hatred toward Konoha does not seem to be that of a lunatic: even though he said 'the complete and utter destruction of Konoha', I do not think that Sasuke is going to carelessly take lives. He is not and was never the type to do that: I firmly believe that he will be attacking the foundation of Konoha: the village elders and Danzou.

Now, onto the battle between Jiraiya and Pain. The battle that seems to dissatisfy a lot of people: the point of that battle was to develop Jiraiya:
1) It allowed us to look into Jiraiya's past to understand where he came from, what he admired and who admired him.
2) It showed us that under kindness and greatness, greatness can be sowed, but evil can grow much faster. This is seen with Minato, the fourth Hokage, and also seen with Pain. Hopefully, as the story slowly shifts over to Naruto, his effect on Naruto will be shown as well, and perhaps we can see another greatness emerge from the guidance of the Toad Sage.

From the perspective of the character, Jiraiya's function was for Naruto's development. Training under Jiraiya for three years showed us that Naruto did advance, but still has alot of development potential. Because he contributed so much to Naruto's development by teaching him is ultimate technique: Rasengan (it was used in a lot of movies :( ), his presence could not play a longer role in the story. However, I believe that his removal from the story is how he will really help Naruto develop further; hopefully into something that we cannot yet imagine.

I am very happy to see that your faith in Kishimoto has been restored, GoldKnight. I will never lose my faith in him as you know that Kishimoto is an artist that is known to deliver. Kishimoto is definitely a short sighted person; in fact, if I were to use an analogy, I believe that his vision is farther than that of the Byakugan. If you focus too hard on a spot, you'll start noticing the problems, but if we step back and look at the entire picture, we know that Kishimoto has created a masterpiece that is not easily created. The Naruto series can be classified as more than that of a Shounen manga: it is really something that I look forward to every week, and hopefully people can as well.

GoldKnight, I hope the reviewing flame that burns inside you starts burning stronger than ever, as your reviews are very enjoyable, and are very much appreciated by alot of the members on these forums who read the Naruto series. Your review structure and your comments are unique and I personally get a thrill from reading those reviews, and I am sure that my opinion is shared by a lot of the community members. All I can say is, keep it up!

Akabeth
June 14, 2008, 01:46 PM

Naruto can see the good side of people ...

Neji also said "You have better eyes than me" before he fought the spider dude in ch 193.

I guess this phrase can mean a lot of things in Naruto-verse.

I firmly believe that he will be attacking the foundation of Konoha: the village elders and Danzou.

In Binktopia's release (ch404), Sasuke said, "We eliminate the top tier". That can also mean different things. At any rate, the elders are amongst that group.

juUnior
June 15, 2008, 02:19 PM
Quote: Nasuke View Post
I firmly believe that he will be attacking the foundation of Konoha: the village elders and Danzou.
In Binktopia's release (ch404), Sasuke said, "We eliminate the top tier". That can also mean different things. At any rate, the elders are amongst that group.
In other words, Nasuke was right with this - but it's also true, that like Kisame said in 404, even if Saske wants the top tier/old bosses of Konoha, it's rather inevitable to fight other shinobi's.

glasskatana
June 30, 2008, 12:27 AM
GKsr, I missed your reviews. And, like you, I ha(d) been so disillusioned with Naruto for the last couple weeks (months?). This latest plot twist has indeed piqued my interest though. What was the power that Itachi gave to Naruto. Does Sasuke really have an eternal Mangekyou (latest chapters point otherwise, even though it is six sided). Who is Pain? FINALLY, everything is coming together in a nice, flowing way, instead of a jumbled...garble of fight scenes and semi-revelations. What is Madara planning to do with Sasuke. WHAT IS NARUTO GOING TO DO!?!?!?!?!

I want answers, and I want them quickly. From what I can tell, Kishi is out of side-plots to use. We only have Kisame, Konan, and Zetsu left as non-final Akatsuki members. Tobi and Pain are clearly going to be in the 'Final Battles.'

Of course, there's the Hawk characters, and the search for the 8-tails, but I still think this is coming to a nice pinnacle. Hoorah!

Nasuke
June 30, 2008, 01:44 AM
GKsr, I missed your reviews. And, like you, I ha(d) been so disillusioned with Naruto for the last couple weeks (months?). This latest plot twist has indeed piqued my interest though. What was the power that Itachi gave to Naruto. Does Sasuke really have an eternal Mangekyou (latest chapters point otherwise, even though it is six sided). Who is Pain? FINALLY, everything is coming together in a nice, flowing way, instead of a jumbled...garble of fight scenes and semi-revelations. What is Madara planning to do with Sasuke. WHAT IS NARUTO GOING TO DO!?!?!?!?!

I want answers, and I want them quickly. From what I can tell, Kishi is out of side-plots to use. We only have Kisame, Konan, and Zetsu left as non-final Akatsuki members. Tobi and Pain are clearly going to be in the 'Final Battles.'

Of course, there's the Hawk characters, and the search for the 8-tails, but I still think this is coming to a nice pinnacle. Hoorah!

Glasskatana, Sasuke possesses a normal MS and not an eternal MS like Madara. This is definitive and not open-ended, and here is why:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k11/adelnasr/sasuke_ms.jpg

Mangekyou sharigan is the special evolution of the tomoes (tears) where they somehow manage to stick to one another in some form. Sasuke's form might be a six sided one, but it is still the evolution of three tomoes stuck together. The way this happens is by the tomoe's wrapping around each other to form an oval. When that happens at the angles that they are in, we get Sasuke's MS. Furthermore, Madara asked Sasuke if he wanted to transplant Itachi's eyes, and the reason he would do something like that is because he knows he just activated a simple MS so that he does not go blind. With this in mind, it is clear that Sasuke does not possess the MS.

Sarmad
July 04, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi GK!

I really miss your reviews, since they offered often a different perspective on things in Naruto and i hope you'll someday pick it up again, cause this one was really really good!

Though i have to admit that i still think that Kishimoto is a turd for not being able to get a hold of the story!

It's not like he can't "fix" certain things or fill in some information to clear the obvious questions (Like why nobody of the leaf knows about the well being of Uchiha Madara, since Itachi must've have told them as an insider), but he can't make up for the way he told the story.
and that's why i believe that a time will come, when Kishimoto falls back into his fucked up "let's-get-it-over-with storyytelling".