PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled Dogashi Kaden by Hamada Kosuke

Koen
May 31, 2008, 12:22 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1268/wjump0463huj4.jpg

Summary:

Our Hero is aspiring to be a basketball player since his childhood. Although being short, Haruyoshi joins the basketball club in his school, but always was just the 'errand boy' for the rest. Running... into a girl changes his destiny. She, being the clubs manager, investigates a scouting note which leads her back to him after their first encounter. Will she turn Haruyoshi into a great basketball player?

Get the first chapter Here (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32158)

A new basketball series has appeared in jump. Your ideas?

Kyuzo
May 31, 2008, 12:47 PM
Looks sick.

bunshindattebayo
May 31, 2008, 09:53 PM
The art looks familiar.Hope this new serie can cure my disappointment of Over Time got cancelled.

Succubus
May 31, 2008, 10:38 PM
I don't like this manga =/

Kyuzo
May 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
The art looks familiar.Hope this new serie can cure my disappointment of Over Time got cancelled.

Over Time was the shit. I'm still shocked they cancelled it.

Koen
June 01, 2008, 03:46 AM

Over Time was the shit. I'm still shocked they cancelled it.

Yep I agree over time could have been the greatest sports manga if it would have continued, at least imo

anyway did you guys get a ES21 feeling when reading this? The boy reminds me of sena

barbapapa
June 01, 2008, 07:03 AM
Not really.

LegACy
June 01, 2008, 08:11 AM
Sena? Well, looks like this guy really love Basketball already, unlike Sena which knew nothing about Football...

BTW, he gets that ladder stepping training as well, just like Sena ^^

Koen
June 01, 2008, 01:29 PM
Not really.

Sena? Well, looks like this guy really love Basketball already, unlike Sena which knew nothing about Football...

BTW, he gets that ladder stepping training as well, just like Sena ^^

Not as in arts but he's prolly somehow pushed into a team (given the fact the girl is a team manager). Both shorties, both scaredy and both will prolly be the big deal in their sports

Xophien
June 01, 2008, 05:21 PM
anyway did you guys get a ES21 feeling when reading this? The boy reminds me of sena

Take the fifth panel of page 32, and put it in ES21, you won't see a difference :D But yeah, this kinda gives out an ES21 feeling (Hazuki reminds me a bit of Hiruma, with her black notebook, money and it seems a "everything for the win" personality), which is not necessarily a bad thing, imo :oh ES21 won't last forever (unfortunately :darn) so having a spare one could be nice.

Anyway, I liked it enough to be motivated to translate it, so you guys can go check it out if you want :amuse

fluke32
June 03, 2008, 02:17 AM
Yeah, I liked the first impression this manga showed us with this opening chapter. It gave me several moments of being shocked. The only mangas that gave me these kind of impact opening were ES21, SlamDunk, Mx0, GantZ, Great Teacher Onizuka and One Piece.

Hope it will last as long as SlamDunk did, coz I'd be mightily dissapointed if this turned out to be yet another cancelled project...

Off-topic: I've seen 3 cancellation in the period of 2 months. Geez~. Is being laid-off possible in the mangaka profession or something?:p

GGpX
June 03, 2008, 02:57 AM
Copied from the RTS thread:

I don't see much hope for this.

The first chapter has really nothing interesting about it. The introduction of the chapter made me think it was One Piece, basketball edition. Replace Shanks for the man, Luffy with the child protagonist and the straw hat for the basketball. The characters are boring and really uninteresting. A young protagonist with no balls, no confidence who wants to accomplish something big... Where have I seen that before? The comedy in this manga isn't really... comedy. It's just not funny. The "I WAS SAYING THAT ALL ALONG" jokes can only work for so long

I usually read a few chapters to see whether or not I'd like the series, but I won't for this. There's nothing that shows me this is going to be anything good, so chapter 1 will be my first and last chapter read for this series.

Koen
June 03, 2008, 05:57 AM
I have always asked myself how people come up with criteria to drop a manga after ONLY 1 chapter. Anyway everyone his own point of view... -> I did it too eg one piece and now I love it all the way

Based on the raw I didn't have a bad feeling but

Gonna read the chapter tonight and I'll know more, just to know what's the best quality scan?

hatsuharupeace
June 03, 2008, 06:22 AM
Wooo!!! Awesome first chapter, I'm definately gonna stick with this until this ends. Gotta love the manager, though to me, she doesn't really remind me of Hiruma.

GGpX
June 03, 2008, 10:13 AM
I have always asked myself how people come up with criteria to drop a manga after ONLY 1 chapter. Anyway everyone his own point of view... -> I did it too eg one piece and now I love it all the way

Based on the raw I didn't have a bad feeling but

Gonna read the chapter tonight and I'll know more, just to know what's the best quality scan?

Mix in a lack of any potential to become anything worthy, boring characters, too many typical shounen clichés, mediocre art, and voila. This is a series that doesn't have much hope of becoming anything [good] worth reading. That's why 1 chapter was enough for me to decide to stop.

[edit] SCX is a LQ, MangaAddict is a decent MQ.

Sexy Randal 105
June 03, 2008, 11:19 AM
If you take Eyeshield and take out everything that was original and cool about it and make it about a sport that's been overdone in the manga world, you get this. I really hope it dies. Normally I wouldn't care it being in Jump, but when unique mangas like Usagi and Sket Dance are at risk of being cancelled, fuck it. We don't need another basketball manga. This is trying to be Eyeshield and it just isn't. The setup is EXACTLY the same as the first chapter of Eyeshield. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying it. Good artwork can not make up for a generic story.

Meromorphe
June 03, 2008, 12:38 PM
I guess this guy will be a shooting guard, since Michael Jordan was. The manga does not seem to go very deeply in the basketball details.
Same here, it reminds me of Eyeshield 21, but it is not so fun.
Only, the unexpected turn of events was fun. In case like that we often discover that the girl is the daughter of a yakuza and the family of the boy cannot refuse. Here, the girl is the heir of a rich family, maybe the parents are employed by the Minagawa, so thez conclusion will be the same.
I will read the second chapter to give the manga a second chance.

Koen
June 03, 2008, 04:37 PM
Read the chapter

First of all, I wouldn't compare this to sket dance or usagi. This is a sports manga that can't be compared with those two. If you wanna compare it at least with something, compare it with the succeeded slam dunk, PoT, Es21 or the failed over time, hands, ko sen. Yeah frustrations of beloved mangas that are in a threat of being cancelled can make you negative and hard towards other mangas (I can speak about it since mx0 was cancelled before usagi, sket dance,...)

Well this is only one chapter far and as for all those sports manga it isn't easy to say where this will go to. I got a decent feeling with this because at least haruyoshis character was outlined a lot: we know why he loves basketball, we know why he failed, we know why the manager is interested in him, etc and that's a true + because you don't see that a lot in sports manga. For now I can't say if it'll succeed or not, it isn't easy to predict these kind of things with sports manga (eg over time, imo this one had the potential of becoming the best sports manga all time but it failed and we got to live with it)

Sexy Randal 105
June 03, 2008, 11:34 PM
Maybe I am just put off by the fact that Basketball is boring to me.

fluke32
June 04, 2008, 03:45 PM
I for one can vouch that this is not really comparable to any other series at all. Well, we can't even say that this manga could meet up with standards that sports mangas like ES21 and SlamDunk has set this early, but I still think it will be a good read. Let's at least wait for the chapter where we get to see the protagonist to play in a team.

Succubus
June 08, 2008, 05:19 PM
sigh ur right... Ookoda reminds me ALOT of Sena from ES21.. so I got pretty bored -__- sorry I stopped reading this

ooo ofc ES21 is much better, but not best

Sexy Randal 105
June 08, 2008, 11:30 PM
Someone should upload chapter 2 DDL, because I don't care enough to register to a forum to download it. =P

LegACy
June 09, 2008, 10:17 AM
There's always onemanga.com ^^

Sorry, since SCX released it super quick and of better quality this time, we're not doing it, since it'll be just a waste of effort (especially when there's a lot of redrawing). Beside, we've also got double arts to work on.

SkyKing
June 09, 2008, 10:45 AM
If it make you feel any better it has been 24 hours....Mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/?qjdmzumyzqv)

Maxy Barnard
June 09, 2008, 02:40 PM
Gotta say, this series is continuing to please me. it's broken a recent tedium of all sports teams in manga being losers, or not quite the best, yet gives the m reason to work hard. not to mention also laying out what is likely to be the three most important players in the long run (aside from the captain of course)

so......... yeah, despite some shortcomings, i like this series

Meromorphe
June 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
from the first page of the 2nd chapter it seems that 3 people will lead the team. Boston inspired the mangaka?? I'm glad they have a tall point guard, but he does not look very friendly. I would prefer a nice guy with some magic in the hands. (lol like beauty pop)

fluke32
June 11, 2008, 06:16 AM
@Meromorphe
I don't think that this manga is inspired from any well known team... YET. After all, we still have to see what kind of guy the captain is. I think that the captain will the Center. But I sure hope not since that would be sooo SlamDunk-ish.

And to the rest of you guys who think this is too much alike with ES21. Only until the moment that the captain shows even a single hint of being Hiruma-like, Kurita-like or Mamori-like shall I say that this manga is a basketball version of ES21.

I say that let's wait 5 more chapters for the manga's flavor to sink in because it generally takes 10 chapters (at most) to get the general idea and, more importantly, the identity of the manga.

Koen
June 11, 2008, 06:27 AM
Well I am not the guy to drop a serie fast. We can't know yet if this will be a sports manga walking the PoT way or walking the ES21 way. Anyway I'll look forward to more and I certainly look forward to basketball games. Sports is what makes a sports manga a SPORTS manga

LegACy
June 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
Indeed.
I wanna see a real match first before deciding to like this manga or not.

macros
June 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
i like it so much...i think that could be the new ES...every comparison with Slam Dunk is unfair...
the 3rd chap was awesome...i hope that keep going so well...i love basket, i love manga...XD

Xophien
June 22, 2008, 03:43 AM
Well, after 4 chapters, I think it's quite a decent read. I'm not sure it'll survive the harshness of Jump, at this rate, though, but it'd be a shame if it doesn't, since I quite like the characters and the art. Haruyoshi's tendencies to speak up before he thinks, panicking afterwards, is kinda refreshing.... The latest chapter missed Hazuki (seriously, she should be given as much screen time as the main character >.>), but I think Nerima is quite an interesting character as well (though his slang is a pain to translate xD). I'm really willing to give this manga a chance :amuse

macros
June 22, 2008, 06:44 AM
This chap was awesome...i like this series.

But it's ended at the crucial moment...it's unfair :mad

fluke32
June 23, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hmmm...
I really haven't seen the manga's real defining identity yet. I'm looking for the "What makes me different from other mangas" factor in it, and so far, and to be honest, this still feels like it isn't any different from Slam Dunk.

Slam Dunk's Sakuragi started his story in the world of basketball in just about the same way Haruyoshi is doing...Both are placing a challenge with becoming a member of the basketball team as a goal in their minds.

IMO, if he wins, I'm not gonna be impressed at all even if Haruyoshi does something spectacular. If he loses however, would be a little more different a story, but if he moves out of the school and goes to another to be able to play on a weak team, it sound just like Crossover.

It's gonna be pretty hard for the mangaka to actually create this manga's identity since most plot lines possible in sports mangas are very limited, and almost all are used up.

Maxy Barnard
June 25, 2008, 02:27 AM
i don't think the plot lines mean anything compared to execution. if it continues to go about it in this pretty interesting manner, then i reckon that it'll do just fine in the short haul

Koen
June 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well I look forward to the 3-on-3 because if they wanna have at least a chance to win then they'll have to play as team which doesn't seem to be the case atm

Maxy Barnard
July 02, 2008, 01:49 AM
well it means we'll actually get a sort of match out the way, get a feel for how it'll approach everything.

gotta say, the comedy is improving at a good rate

Xophien
July 06, 2008, 04:38 AM
I really, really like the humor of the latest chapter. "This power is not something a high school student can have!" "Neither is his face" +Narima's attempt at english, + Sudou's last panel, all of that adding to the fact the art is really great for a newcomer's manga (page 18 looks really good), I think this manga is really heading up the good path :amuse Prediction : since they're all stuck with their match-ups, with their opponents all being better than them in the things they do, they should switch, so I think Shiba will cover Yoshino, Haruyoshi will cover Nerima and Sudou will cover Sayama :noworry

Koen
July 06, 2008, 05:42 AM
Well looking at this match makes me think this isn't only a match that'll decide if ookado and sudou have to leave the team but I also got the feeling this is the match of three chosen ones among the freshman to enter the regular team. As the girl manager said: they weren't in the team yet, they had to train for it and then they could step up (of course she was talking to ookado but weren't sudou and that cool hotheaded guy also new?)

sorry for remembering a name I am in need of more time

Xophien
July 06, 2008, 06:19 AM
sorry for remembering a name I am in need of more time

It's Shiba, and don't mind it, unlike ES1 which gradually introduced its characters, this one got a big bunch of characters in a relatively short time, so having troubles with the names is understandable. I'm only having a easier time since I'm typing their name each time they speak when I translate :noworry

As for Shiba, he has the right mentality to be in the team (remember how he told Ookado not to insult Touryou by being a joke as a player in the beginning?) and since he was scouted, he probably have decent skills, so I think the captain would acknowledge him even if the freshman team fails the test. Sudou with his attitude and Ookado with his complete lack of skills are another matter >.>

Talakene
July 06, 2008, 07:16 PM
Come to think of it, Sudou reminds me somewhat of Echizen Ryoma, what with his talent and cheeky attitude. Ryoma was fortunate that tennis games are usually one on one, as I remember he and Momoshiro played a rather disgraceful doubles game. Sudou is going to have a more difficult time, given his choice of sports. Perhaps he should have picked a sport that goes on one one instead.

fluke32
July 12, 2008, 09:16 AM
The latest Dogashi Kaden raws and translations are now out~! And based from the Xoph's translations I now see the reason for Ookada's inability to catch the passes... Apparently he has ball phobia.:XD Well, that's something unexpected from a basketball manga.

This will complete set this manga apart from other mangas. The main character is a speedy workaholic no game experience ambitious rookie with ball phobia, who joins a high school basketball team who has all-stars in it, and two other promising rookies. Well, the question now is, will Haruyoshi Ookada be able to stay in the team? (I sure hope so.:sweat)

macros
July 12, 2008, 01:05 PM
nice chap. i've got chills in the last pages. XD

predsfan
July 12, 2008, 03:16 PM
two good chapters in row! Both with some nice cliffhangers. This is starting to grow on me (especially since I've been looking for a sports manga since POT ended). But what's the deal with them showing the clock at towards the end. Is there 3 minutes left or does it not mean anything? Hope the next has more than just one play though!

Talakene
July 18, 2008, 11:59 PM
As stated in his profile, Shiba is a surprisingly nice person, helping Ookado improve his skills as much as possible in a short amount of time, skills which were needed now. Sayama seems to have developed an interest in Ookado, the same way that a cat would become interested in a new, entertaining toy.

Nerima did ask an interesting question regarding Sudou's return to Japan. I wonder if the cause was health-related, since Sudou did say he needed time to relax his body. Sudou seemed rather exhausted. Perhaps next Nerima will get that one-on-one with Sudou. Nerima is not like a cat in the way Sayama is, although Nerima does seem to have a similar, cat-like interest in Sudou.

Koen
July 19, 2008, 06:11 PM
Well it's great to see what shiba and ookado eventually did back then. Also great to hear sudou saying it was a nice pass. You can see the skils are coming out and there's more teamplay among the three freshmen. Looking forward to next chapter.

macros
July 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
wow, this chap was amazing. I'm so excited. I'm falling in love of this manga. The tricks of Ookado was so beautiful and Sudou was great. I like his character. Now, i wanna see Shiba... I can't wait the next one. :D

neovenom
July 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
awesome chapter, LMAO @ Hazuki's idea of bringing in spectators by giving a free trip to italy to whoever predicts the winning team lol since the first chapter i new i was gonna love her character she takes the position of manager to the extreme damn especially the 3rd panel in page 15 she looks like a little girl looking at a piece of cake lol, she's totally different from the manager's of all the sports shonen i've read so far(which arent many though lol) which i think is a good thing because its something new and fresh so it can set this apart from other sports shonen.

Sayama is just cool, this chapter made me like him more and if haruyoshi makes the team which i think he is, most probably sayama might take him under his wing and teach him stuff. Nerima well there's only one word that comes to mind when i see nerima and that is LOL, Haruyoshi and sudou's combo was awesome at the end cant wait for next chapter seems we are gonna get some insight on sudou and his past or secret as its stated. Any way this chapter is just awesome lol

Sexy Randal 105
July 22, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sad news for Dogashi fans. Ritual scans posted that Dogashi got it's first rating in the new issue of Jump and it's dead last (Not counting Yusha which is ending in the same issue). So more than likely, it will be canceled within a few issues(Well, this is what happened to Junbor, Contractor M&Y, Muddy, Kosen and so many others). Sorry to break the news.

GGpX
July 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
What news is there to break? It was fairly obvious from the first chapter. This series is extremely shallow with no hint whatsoever of originality. The only thing going for it so the mangaka's semi-decent art, but his inability to make many different looking characters is a bad point as well.

fluke32
July 27, 2008, 06:17 PM
Well, from what I've read so far in chapter 9, I think Sudou's onii-chan and Haruyoshi's sempai who told him not to quit basketball, might be one and the same person.:notrust This manga is getting predictable.:sweat

Xophien
July 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Well, from what I've read so far in chapter 9, I think Sudou's onii-chan and Haruyoshi's sempai who told him not to quit basketball, might be one and the same person.:notrust This manga is getting predictable.:sweat

There is a name on the ball Haruyoshi got from his senpai, and the name was Suzuki Gunpei, which is quite different from Sudou Masaaki -_-; Predictable, huh? :oh

fluke32
July 27, 2008, 10:26 PM
There is a name on the ball Haruyoshi got from his senpai, and the name was Suzuki Gunpei, which is quite different from Sudou Masaaki -_-; Predictable, huh? :oh
Well, Sudou hasn't said the name of the person he calls his older brother either. There is that chance that Suzuki Gunpei is the person in question you know.:p

Xophien
July 28, 2008, 03:55 AM
Yes it's been said, on page 16, it's Masaaki :p

fluke32
July 28, 2008, 10:50 AM
Yes it's been said, on page 16, it's Masaaki :p
Gah! You're Right! I got pawn'd twice again by Xoph for not reading a chapter carefully! LOL!:XD

Sexy Randal 105
July 29, 2008, 11:26 AM
What news is there to break? It was fairly obvious from the first chapter. This series is extremely shallow with no hint whatsoever of originality. The only thing going for it so the mangaka's semi-decent art, but his inability to make many different looking characters is a bad point as well.

I always agreed with that. But for some reason some people liked this series.

Sherlock Holmes
July 30, 2008, 02:37 AM
okay, I just read the chapters already scanlated and here is my opinion on the manga(it might be a little bit too long but...):

It is something like ES21 meets prince of tennis. The girl is a not-as-cool feminine version of Hiruma, while the captain is a slightly less...soseriousitisfunny version of Tezuka. This is good, since I like both pot and es21....

The only problem is, I REALLY, REALLY HATE BASKETBALL. No offense to anyone who likes it but, I just find it boring. Maybe this manga will change my opinion on it... The manga itself is....nice? . The art is(in my opinion) very good, the whole "Eyeshield drama" is there, making you wanting the main character to win and things like that...But is not as dramatic as ES21. And the characters that are supposed to be "teh strongest 111!!!1!" just don't have the same badass aura as, say, ANYONE from the prince of tennis. Talking about characters, they don't seem to be as cool as ANY of the ES21 characters.

Okay, this might not be the best comparison, but.... In ES21, we only see 4 characters in the beginning. Hiruma,Mamori,Kurita,and Sena. And we see just how awesome they are. In a less than 4 chapters, we are already waiting for Hiruma to be an ass to everyone again, and just love seeing him blackmailing people again and again, we are already waiting for Sena to be a coward.....The story has a VERY slow start, and yet it makes us want to keep reading the whole damn manga. By the time we see Monta, we already love(or hate) all the other characters. And by the time Monta joins the team, we already either love or hate him too. We see his personality, and everything.

Now, in dougashi...First chapter. We see a very,VERY cliched first page. A promise + giving something. Now that's original. We see a female hiruma right after we start reading,on the third or fourth page. She has an also cliched way of being introduced. Seriously, in mangas every single girl in the world seems to know martial arts. So, the main character has a hidden talent, yeah we figured, this happens in every sports manga. And then, after that, you start seeing the story about....3,4,10 characters? It doesn't.Even.Matter. NO ONE GIVES A DAMN. We don't even get to have an opinion on the main character until the story starts moving. We don't see his personality enough to hate or like him. If anything, you start hating him. We don't get to see him doing anything cool( like Sena protecting Mamori's phone number on es21) but we do see him acting like a loser. Seriously, crying because you didn't make into the team? My left arm still hurts after a car accident two years ago, and because of that I couldn't make into the tennis team during my first two high school years, and got surgery on this damn left arm two months ago hoping it will stop hurting like hell so I can play. And I love tennis a lot. And YET, I can't remember a single time I...Hell I can't remember a single time I saw ANYONE crying because they didn't make into a team. Then we get to see lots of characters...Do we get to have an opinion on them before the plot moves on? Nope. It just keeps going, and going, and having as much cliches as possible. The characters don't even seem to keep the same personality during the manga...The female Hiruma seems to slowly becoming an evil Mamori...And the evil part is questionable.

Basically my main problem with Dogashi isn't even the cliches. Hell, ES21 has TONS of them, and is one of the greatest mangas of all time. My problem is that this manga seems to think that you don't need to know the characters to like them. It doesn't work like that. If we don't know them, we couldn't care less if they quit the club or something.

....Sorry I was just going to say what I thought about the manga,but it turned into a rather long post.

Anyway, the manga can still improve....So I'm going to keep reading. But for now, it's just not good.

Crayola
July 31, 2008, 06:54 AM
Well, it's been last place in the ranks two weeks in a row, so it doesn't seem to be doing well in Japan

raderack
August 24, 2008, 10:18 AM
that´s sad,but i must say,i love these manga. is funny and the sports thematics is always great..(at least for me)

Well, it's been last place in the ranks two weeks in a row, so it doesn't seem to be doing well in Japan

Sexy Randal 105
August 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
I have come to bring my condolences to all Dogashi fans.

Sherlock Holmes
August 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
I have come to bring my condolences to all Dogashi fans.
...was it cancelled?

Xophien
August 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
Yup, this week's chapter will be the last.