PDA

View Full Version : Review Absolutio's One Piece Chapter 502 Review

Absolutio
June 08, 2008, 07:50 AM
This is my first review ever, and I chose One Piece just because of the mere reason that it’s both the best shonen manga (ever), and my most favorite one. :p
If you do read this review, you’ll notice a high similarity to Sahugani’s reviews, because his reviews are my most favorite ones and I like their designs and his way of thought. I generally only made this review since it’s already Sunday, and no review was still published. So here we go! (Hope you enjoy it).
~Absolutio.

-This chapter review’s pages are taken from Akan’s scanlation [Sai_the_Shaman’s raw + cnet128(I love you!) translation]

Chilling out

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9675/001rw7.jpg
Aww, I don’t like smoking women!  (nor men.. :s )

After finally earning enough money to pay for Rob Lucci’s medical fees, we see the CP9 chilling out, “Shopping and Smoking”, as the title says. Just 2 things interesting to point out in this cover are:
1. Califa’s shirt is one of those designed by Pappag/Caimie.
2. Apperently Lucci’s pigeon is alright, as you can see in the cover.
I expect another shot or 2 of the rest of the CP9 members chilling in the next cover-story pages, and then Lucci will be shown to us.

Beauty of the Tenryuubito

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8910/003tj4.jpg
How is this even possible?

We start this chapter with our very noble fellow Charlos-Sei, apparently the elder brother of the Tenryuubito family. He arrived later than he planned to the auction house since he rode a “mere” human. He orders his minions to sell the useless slave at once and also mentions his true “slavish” desire – He wants a mermaid.

Fate worse than death

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9844/004cz8.jpg
Poor guy knows what’s best for him

The next slave who’s up for sale is a pirate captain named Lacueva with a 17m bounty. This makes me wonder how does the bountied slave sells go. On the one hand, he’s only a “mere” human, but he has a high bounty, so it doesn’t make sense for the auction house to sell all of those high bounty people for the normal auction rates, while they could just turn them in to the Marines and get the bounty. So I assume that with “bountied” people, the starting price is their bounty.
Anyways, this “Devious Tactician” Lacueva does prove he has both brains and guts, as he bits his tongue, preferring death over being kept alive without and freedom as someone’s slave.
The auctioneers are quick to action, and they swiftly get him behind the stage as Mister Disco decides that now is the appropriate time for the main event:

Caimie at last!

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6135/007xs6.jpg
I wonder if the aquarium is part of the package deal

Beautiful Caimie is presented to the very excited audience. Usually, in serious auction places, you get a little auction-book that shows you all of the auctions that are going to be in the auction event, that way you can smartly prepare and plan your entire auction event, but from the surprised faces of everybody in the auction house you can tell that this is not the way things are done there. Everybody is excited, except Nami and Co. who are getting into “Battle Mode”. One person particular who’s even more excited than the rest is Charlos-Sei, who specifically said in the start of the chapter that the thing he wants most is a mermaid.

Power of the Tenryuubito

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5935/008ie0.jpg
The highest bidder

Charlos-Sei offers 500m Beli, right at the start, proving two things:
1. He is both a very whim-acting person and a dumb one as well, as he could start lower than that and got the mermaid at least twice as cheap as he offered right at the start.
2. The Tenryuubito are very very rich, to be able to spend 500m Beli so rushly, which makes point 1 rather non-important.
Nami and Co. are in shock and despair, now knowing what to do, because they have no chance of winning Caimie back now. Kidd who’s still in the scene sees that and throws a remark at the screw-ness of this world – Not only are the Tenryuubito more evil than pirates, are protected by the WG and are completely ignorant to others, they also hold a huge financial power, making them able to do completely what they want. One of the reasons people are becoming pirates is for the reason to be free and do what you want, but they’re more successful in that area than many many pirates, and are recognized and protected by the WG. That’s just screwed-up, as Kidd says, and starts to leave the auction house. But a little interruption in the auction makes him stop.

Our hero arrives!

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/1082/011el9.jpg
[/color=blue]Like he’s the one to talk about good landings[/color]

Luffy, the Flying Fish Rider, and apparently Zoro (who they picked on their way) make a very non-elegant landing into the auction house. Zoro, who just got picked up, is completely clueless about what’s going on, and doesn’t understand why are they in such a rush for the Sunny (since he thinks that the Sunny is in Grove 1).
Luffy sees Caimie and immediately, without thinking, rushes towards her. Usually Luffy’s rushes are turning out bad, but since in this situation there’s no good solution, Luffy’s recklessness is actually better than whatever Sanji or Nami can think about.
Hacchi, although just a minute ago he thought of going and saving Caimie himself, throws himself at Luffy to stop him from this reckless behavior, that puts Caimie in danger (since she already have a slave’s collar). And in the middle of slowing down Luffy, his cover been blown out, and everybody sees him as the fishman he is – Pink, weird skinned, and with several arms.
Apparently Fishmen aren’t only discriminated against, but are feared and seen as monsters by the island’s people.
Hacchi lets go of Luffy while Luffy continues to rush towards Caimie. Several auction bodyguards try to stop him, the auction crowed are screaming in fear from the Fishman. Generally – A complete mayhem is in the auction house, and out from the chaos – A gun shot.

Power of the Tenryuubito 2

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/7924/015uz7.jpg
No mercy

Hacchi got shot down by Charlos-Sei, who’s even more excited than earlier while buying Caimie, since this time he got a free slave, who’s he took by himself. Sort of like hunting. Luffy is pissed, to say the least. So pissed that he stops charging at Caimie and changes direction backwards towards Charlos-Sei. On his way to the Tenryuubito, Hacchi holds him and asks him to not do anything to him. He says that he was a pirate so it just suits him right, and that everytime he just gets in the way, but he just wanted to make it up for Nami, for all the bad things he did with Arlong at her village. He also reminds Luffy that he promised to not do anything against the Tenryuubito, even if someone gets shot right in front of his eyes.
Luffy, as we know of Jaya incident with Bellamy, and from generally all of the One Piece story, is a man of his word. But even he can’t keep up his word this time. He’s much too raging, and someone needs to be punished for what they’ve done!

Power of the StrawHat!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7674/018019zs0.jpg
One hit – K.O.!

Luffy’s punch of death. Despite everything - his promise and the fear of an admiral (and this is probably Luffy’s rating in that order in this matter), Luffy walks towards Charlos-Sei and gives him probably the first punch he ever got. And that’s a serious first punch to get!
Not much to say about that, but I do like to mention that even Kidd (who has a higher bounty than Luffy) didn’t believe someone would go against the Tenryuubito (including himself) and was surprised of that.

Summery

Well, this is the first chapter I ever reviewed so I hope it went well. This chapter was very flowing, with a lot of chaos in it, but all of that just led the way to the last double-spread pages. When I got to this moment my blood started to rush from excitement.
Every chapter of this arc/saga is a brilliant one. I don’t think there’s even one chapter that I didn’t like, and I have very high expectations of this saga, and I think that this saga will get to a whole new level from the other sagas, although they’re brilliant as well. So this saga is going to be ULTRA-BRILLIANT!
You have a lot to look forward too! xD

P.S: More than comments, also suggestions of how to improve my reviews (structure, designs, etc.) are more than welcomed!

Goji
June 08, 2008, 08:33 AM
Whoooaa, Absolutio! Nice one! I didn't know you had a reviewer hidden inside of you! :P

I'd say it's a pretty nice review. You do see the Sahugani-style in it, but then again I think he also copied his style from GK back in the day when he started with picture-reviews(!), so it's nothing to worry about. It's a format that works just fine. ^^

The only (bad) comment I have for you is the size of the doublespread at the end of your review. I know it's a great scene, but it's just a little bit too big to view on my laptopscreen, so when I read your comments I had to scroll from left to right. But that's just because I work with a laptop, so nothing to worry about really! :)

It was also very observant of you to see that Kalifa's t-shirt is of Pappag's design. Didn't see that one. It's things like this that makes reading a review from someone else's point of view so enjoyable.

I also wonder what will happen with the story now, it's a very exciting arc and there are a lot of ways the story can develop now. Can't wait for the next one!

Keep up the good work. :amuse

Absolutio
June 08, 2008, 06:29 PM
Whoooaa, Absolutio! Nice one! I didn't know you had a reviewer hidden inside of you! :P

I'd say it's a pretty nice review. You do see the Sahugani-style in it, but then again I think he also copied his style from GK back in the day when he started with picture-reviews(!), so it's nothing to worry about. It's a format that works just fine. ^^
Thank you. I also loved GK comments back then. Were the only Naruto review I ever read. But now I only read Sahu's OP reviews, coz op is the only series that I really enjoy reading its review.
Did you read GK's review (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32100) of Naruto 400-402?

The only (bad) comment I have for you is the size of the doublespread at the end of your review. I know it's a great scene, but it's just a little bit too big to view on my laptopscreen, so when I read your comments I had to scroll from left to right. But that's just because I work with a laptop, so nothing to worry about really! :)
Yea, I also thought about that after I posted, but was too lazy to resize it. I'll try and do that now.. :)

It was also very observant of you to see that Kalifa's t-shirt is of Pappag's design. Didn't see that one. It's things like this that makes reading a review from someone else's point of view so enjoyable.
That's what I like in reading reviews the most. :D
Like last chapter, with the slave-trade smiley mark, I didn't notice it at all. :p

I also wonder what will happen with the story now, it's a very exciting arc and there are a lot of ways the story can develop now. Can't wait for the next one!

Keep up the good work. :amuse
The "problem" with the arc atm, is that you can't possible know to which direction it will go. There are just countless numbers of ways Oda can lead us through, so the predictions atm are either very specific (like Luffy will probably talk to rayleigh or such) or very wide (there will be a huge navy battle at some point of this saga). You can't really predict what will come each chapter, and it just keeps us all on our toes. :p Gotta love Oda for keeping his fans so much interested after all of this years.

And thank you again! :D
[hr]

Did you read GK's review (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32100) of Naruto 400-402?

I did read it now, but it isn't old GK's 10 points reviews at all, just a short sum of the things, and mainly criticism about part 2 of Naruto (which are highly justified imo). :p
I share many of GK's perspectives of Naruto, except one. I'm not hooked up on Naruto again.. But discussing Naruto here is kinda off-board, so I won't start to crit it :p
:)

Goji
June 10, 2008, 04:29 AM
The "problem" with the arc atm, is that you can't possible know to which direction it will go. There are just countless numbers of ways Oda can lead us through, so the predictions atm are either very specific (like Luffy will probably talk to rayleigh or such) or very wide (there will be a huge navy battle at some point of this saga). You can't really predict what will come each chapter, and it just keeps us all on our toes. :p Gotta love Oda for keeping his fans so much interested after all of this years.
Oda is great, I still don't know where he keeps getting this stuff. I'm still as excited with reading One Piece as I was when the first chapter was released. Now that I think of it, I think I'm more excited now than that I was back then! :D
That is really one of the appealing stuff of this manga, the unpredictability; you never know what's coming so you never get bored with it. ^^

And why doesn't anyone else post in this thing? Post ppl, post! :nuts

Absolutio
June 10, 2008, 01:48 PM
I was asking myself the same thing, but it's just probably because I'm not reputationed like Sahu is (justifily) is.. :s

Akainu
June 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
why post when everythings already said? the style, although its not your own unique one, is great because it guides the reader through your review. but compared to the size of the pics your text on some passages is imo too small. that said, you make perfectly well up for that with bringing up some issues others (the 3rd none Sahu review in 3 weeks and I hope to read more from each reviewer) usually don't in a more or less funnier way.
in short: good review, so keep it up ;) (if you have enough time on IDF free weekends ^^)
dunno, is there anything more to discuss?

Absolutio
June 10, 2008, 03:38 PM
lol.. when, there's this saying "you don't switch a winning horse" or something like that, and the review structure is just the best, and I share many views with Sahu, so that's why there's the similiarity. And I'll only review if by the end of Saturday (my time) Sahu won't release his review, but since I only get back at evenings, it will probably be out at Sunday evening, my time. :s