PDA

View Full Version : Possible 3rd deadly weapon?

LoS
June 11, 2008, 01:06 AM
Has anyone ever wondered whether or not there remains at least one more weapon of mass destruction in One Piece?

We have seen two thus far, Poseidon and Pluton. What is interesting about these two is how connected the two are. Hades and Poseidon are both brothers, sons of Cratos in Greek Mythology. Pluto is the Roman name for the well know god Hades. Pluto was awarded ownership of the underworld, ensuring him wealth and reign over the dead.

So in our case Pluton can assure death to its foes, and wealth as a weapon loaned out to the highest bidders.

On to Poseidon. Poseidon was the brother granted lordship over the seas. Poseidon is also know for his quarrels with other gods and his anger. Poseidon possesses a weapon which is a trident. This trident can shake the earth, and shatter any object. Some powerful weapon huh?

In our case once again Poseidon possesses the power to bring about destruction and death.

Now looking further into this theme of death and destruction, there remains one more god of death. The true god of death, Thanatos or Thanatosos. He is the true personification of death, but is largely overshadowed by Hades.

So there remains the possibility of having one more weapon if we go by these mythological connections. But if we go a different route and instead choose War as a whole, then that leaves us with Ares. But Ares is also stated to be somewhat of a coward in mythology.

So if Oda wishes to go on and surprise us he would choose Thanatos , as Thanatos is not widely known.

well let me know what you think :)

bittman
June 11, 2008, 01:12 AM
I like the idea of bringing back myth and Thanatos, but for story development I would believe there to either be 2 weapons or 6 weapons, but 3 is possible.

Reasoning: 2 - For story purposes, good vs bad.
3 - Representive of the current 3 world powers of marines, shichibukai and yonkou.
6 - The number of kingdoms that existed before the 100 missing history in which five emerged.

LoS
June 11, 2008, 01:22 AM
Well you could even make a case for 4. Four since we are basically halfway through the "Adventure" distance wise, and we have had 2 introduced in the first half, so it is only natural 2 more will be introduced in the second half. For balance.

And the 4th could be some derivative of the name Mars, as Mars being the Roman god of war. Now war is not the same as death and destruction, but war does yield death and destruction as it runs its course.

But that is all speculation. I would make a case for there being at least one more left, due to the Thanatos myth.

Akainu
June 11, 2008, 01:55 AM
a good start, but if you go mythological it doesn't quite work with Thanatos as he is associated to Hades along with Hypnos. They are something like minor gods.
but Hades and Poseidon have some more direct siblings: Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Zeus and Pluto (that's right, there is a greek goddess with that name! but she sometimes has other parents...). they all don't really fit the image of an ancient weapon though, well except for Zeus.
hope you get my point. atm its just 2 weapons, perhaps there will be another one revealed near the end though.

LoS
June 11, 2008, 03:46 AM
a good start, but if you go mythological it doesn't quite work with Thanatos as he is associated to Hades along with Hypnos. They are something like minor gods.
but Hades and Poseidon have some more direct siblings: Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Zeus and Pluto (that's right, there is a greek goddess with that name! but she sometimes has other parents...). they all don't really fit the image of an ancient weapon though, well except for Zeus.
hope you get my point. atm its just 2 weapons, perhaps there will be another one revealed near the end though.

Oh nearly everyone is a sibling, Zeus himself had a shitload of children.

What I was doing was associating all the known weapons and their gods to those whose actions are known for death and destruction. Thanatos is a minor god, only because Hades overshadows him. He is the god of death, while Hades/Pluto is the god of the underworld.

We dont know how much Oda is deriving from Greek or Roman.

Akainu
June 11, 2008, 04:12 AM
oda is deriving from everywhere...
but to your point about overshadowing I think its not it. the reason why those 6 are among the top-league of gods is that these are children of Kronos and Rhea. sure Kronos had other children which are halfsiblings to Zeus and the others and Zeus had many children too, even with his sisters. but these don't have the same status! my point is that Zeus, Hades and Poseidon reign some part of the world. Thanatos is a mere follower of Hades (pure logic that death as well as his brother sleep are servants to the lord of the underworld). imho no overshadowing.
so even if you don't rate them with the bloodline there are other gods connected to death and destruction like Ares (Roman Mars).

and one last point using some of your words: as there is a shitload of gods there might be a shitload of weapons too. thus I think as long as we don't know the criteria oda based that on there is almost no point discussing. it sure is a great theory though.

LoS
June 11, 2008, 04:20 AM
oda is deriving from everywhere...
but to your point about overshadowing I think its not it. the reason why those 6 are among the top-league of gods is that these are children of Kronos and Rhea. sure Kronos had other children which are halfsiblings to Zeus and the others and Zeus had many children too, even with his sisters. but these don't have the same status! my point is that Zeus, Hades and Poseidon reign some part of the world. Thanatos is a mere follower of Hades (pure logic that death as well as his brother sleep are servants to the lord of the underworld). imho no overshadowing.
so even if you don't rate them with the bloodline there are other gods connected to death and destruction like Ares (Roman Mars).

and one last point using some of your words: as there is a shitload of gods there might be a shitload of weapons too. thus I think as long as we don't know the criteria oda based that on there is almost no point discussing. it sure is a great theory though.

The only reason I did not include Zeus is, well to be honest he gets enough air time as it is. These weapons are destructive, and Zeus is the top notch god so his weapon fitting should be the strongest.

But, in my stomach having a "Zeus" derivative weapon just does not sit well with me, it would all be a bit too clean and puzzle like in my opinion. 3 weapons all deriving their names from the ancient Greek ruling gods, who all happen to be 3 close brothers.

Basil Hawkins
June 12, 2008, 03:00 AM
The only reason I did not include Zeus is, well to be honest he gets enough air time as it is. These weapons are destructive, and Zeus is the top notch god so his weapon fitting should be the strongest.

But, in my stomach having a "Zeus" derivative weapon just does not sit well with me, it would all be a bit too clean and puzzle like in my opinion. 3 weapons all deriving their names from the ancient Greek ruling gods, who all happen to be 3 close brothers.
Maybe you were sleeping in your philosophy classes?But I have to agree that three weapons sounds very plausible,but the last one will be Zeus/Jupiter.

otaclub_87
June 12, 2008, 04:22 AM
i'm sorry buat to refresh everyone's memory could u explain about Pluton and Poseidon....i forget what Poseidon is...sorry my bad

LoS
June 12, 2008, 07:06 AM
Maybe you were sleeping in your philosophy classes?But I have to agree that three weapons sounds very plausible,but the last one will be Zeus/Jupiter.

Well like I said I was going for themes and connections, but Zeus is the strongest Deity so naturally the last weapon should be the strongest as well. I just liked the death/destruction theme better and thought Thanatos was a better fit since he is in fact a god of Death.

Absolutio
June 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
Don't like to spoil your theory and stuffs, but it was more or less made clear that Pusedon and Pluton are the same thing.

Akainu
June 12, 2008, 03:53 PM
Don't like to spoil your theory and stuffs, but it was more or less made clear that Pusedon and Pluton are the same thing.
mind giving a more or less source? ( I hate always being the one to ask -.-)
anyway OP is just too big to search some small references like that (and there is no guide like a wiki that really quotes chapters with pages and so on).

furthermore, just in case you can't find it yourself:
are Pluton and Poseidon meant to be exactly the same thing, or does it mean they are the same construction wise? because if its the latter there might be someone building version 3...

LoS
June 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
From my understanding, there is an ancient weapon and blueprints of a weapon designed to combat/negate the ancient weapon. Something had to be built to go against the ancient weapon, for balance.