PDA

View Full Version : Review sahugani's One Piece Review 503

sahugani
June 14, 2008, 07:38 PM
Sahugani’s One Piece Review 503

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9836/titlekm9.jpg
Oda supports shrooms apparently

Wahahahaha!!! Finals are done for me finally and the summer officially starts. I’ll still have a summer class and a few goals to complete, but for the most part I get to enjoy my first full summer down in coastal SoCal (originally from Central Valley in NorCal and summers are HOT). Now I will try to put all thoughts of schoolwork out of my mind for at least a few days by immersing myself into lots of manga. The pics in this review come from the Franky House scanlation (welcome back guys :D) and the title pic is an Oda original.

Gasp

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1374/1ara4.png
enjoy the show boys

Last week, Oda left us with an epic spread of Luffy taking Chalros down in response to the Tenryuubito shooting Hachi. In this week’s chapter, the first three pages are dedicated pretty much for the sole purpose of showing the reactions of the various individuals who witnessed this history making punch. First of all there are the pampered nobility who are understandably in complete shock that anyone would have the audacity to lay a hand on a Tenryuubito. The threat of an Admiral dealing with the retribution has for so long given the Tenryuubito a sense of entitlement that no one for a long time has even considered the possibility that there would be an individual brave or stupid enough to challenge this aristocracy. Similarly, Caimie, Pappagg, and Hachi are also left speechless by the event. Ever since they came to the archipelago on the Sunny, these three have gone out of their way to make sure that the Strawhats don’t ruffle the feathers of the top nobles. This was both for their own safety as socially rejected races and for the Strawhats’ as pirates. Time and time again, the Strawhats have proven themselves more than willing to go out on a limb for them. Now they watch as Luffy fearlessly charges ahead and strikes out at the group that has caused them so much pain. Besides a quick shot of the damage Luffy has wrought on Chalros’s face, the only remaining reaction shots are of the two other pirate captains present, Kidd and Law. Despite Kidd’s looks of bewilderment last chapter, he’s now having a good laugh about it now. Though at first Luffy seemed to be exactly the idiot he was rumored to be, Kidd is delighted to see first hand the reason why Luffy has joined him in the 300 million beli bounty tier. Though Luffy may be dumb as a rock, he has absolutely no fear, which is a trait even Kidd can’t claim to possess and he admires that a bit. As for Law, I must say that his face there is exactly the kind of reaction I expected him to have. To him, there is no right or wrong. All he desires is to enjoy himself and there is nothing he likes more than conflict. Since he has a scene later on, I’ll leave my analysis of him for then.

Inevitable

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3205/2aru9.png
you'll get a chance to cut someone up soon enough

When we finally get to some dialogue, Luffy apologizes for bringing the wrath of an admiral on the head of his crew, but does not say it with the weight such a comment should logically deserve. To the surprise of everyone present, the Strawhat crew as well doesn’t seem to think much of the event. Had Luffy not dealt the blow to Chalros, Zoro would have. He had already been denied the opportunity to cut up Chalros by Bonney’s interference and is somewhat disappointed that Luffy has robbed him of this second chance to give the bastard what he deserved. Not only did thee Strawhats trust in Luffy’s decision to hit the guy, but given the circumstances, any one of them would have been more than willing to do the job. Even Nami doesn’t seem to care that Luffy has possibly doomed the crew, and she is generally the one who tries to act as a voice of reason to stop Luffy from doing things that could lead to her death. Instead, she goes to comfort Hachi, which is a real sign that after his speech last chapter, she very well might officially forgive him for his actions in Arlong’s crew. Up until now, she has accepted him since he has changed his ways, is a friend of Caimie, and was helping the crew get to Fishman Island. However, she has not actually forgiven him due to the severity of the Arlong crew’s crimes against her. After this though, I think the real thing is on the horizon as she sees his true devotion to atone for his sins against her. Hachi remains the only voice saying that the Strawhats have made a huge mistake, but Nami simply tells him that since Luffy wanted to do this, it was inevitable and it’s useless to dwell on the idea of stopping him. The other Strawhats have already moved on from the event and are figuring out what to do next. As Franky points out, given the situation Luffy has created, their choices on how to proceed are pretty limited now. Basically their only remaining option is to save Caimie by force and then figure out what to do about the admiral later. Chopper estimates that the keys for the explosive collar on Caimie is backstage and tells the others to get it since he’ll be busy treating Hachi.

Brawl

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3668/3adg8.png
now that's an entrance

As we leave the somewhat carefree atmosphere between the Strawhats, the next ones to take any action in the auction house are Chalros’s family. After his sister, Shaluia, points out that Chalros has never even been disciplined by his father, Rosward draws his own gun and starts shooting at his son’s assailant. However, he appears to be an absolutely horrible marksman and ends up shooting wildly all around Luffy without actually hitting the rubber man. As this starts, all of the nobles in the room start to flee. At this point it’s not the Strawhats they are afraid of but Rosward. Since the Tenryuubito are above the law, Rosward can freely use his gun on anyone without fear of retribution, meaning he can keep firing at the Strawhats and not give a damn if he shoots anyone else accidentally. Given how bad a shot he is, shooting the “innocent” nobles seems quite likely. Sanji is quick to act though and disarms the man without actually dealing any damage. However, the mere act of kicking a Tenryuubito’s weapon away gets the guards to attack the Black Leg. Sanji quickly takes down the armored guards and the auction house officially becomes a war zone. As the nobles flee, Zoro, Sanji and Franky incapacitate the attacking armored guards one by one. Meanwhile, Chopper uses his medical craft on Hachi while Luffy and Nami defend them. Through it all, Rosward is still screaming at them and gives the order to call for an admiral and battleships, clearly ignorant to the fact that the Strawhats don’t fear either him or the admiral being called. Though the Strawhats are still a distance away from Caimie, Zoro at least takes care of one part of the goal by setting her free from the fishbowl with a flying slash. Although she still has the collar, she is no longer caged and can communicate with the others. As the brawl approaches a peak, more flying fish come crashing through, bring the final three members of the Strawhat crew into the fray. Brooke’s low weight allows him to jump down safely and Robin’s angel wing technique lets her glide to the ground, but since Usopp lacks such abilities, he simply plummets to the surface. Breaking his fall though is Rosward, making Usopp the second Strawhat to assault a Tenryuubito. Though the Strawhats have already brought the wrath of a marine admiral down on their heads for beating up Chalros, it does not do them any favors to take down a second one.

A Word with Law

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/3351/4ahy1.png
now i'm curious about the bear as well

Luffy starts explaining the situation to Usopp, but when he gets to the part about the admiral and battleships being on their way, another party joins the conversation to point out that marines are already here. This person is none other than Trafalgar Law, who despite all the commotion, has not moved an inch from his seat and has just been enjoying the entertainment. After Luffy gets out of the way the burning question of why Law has a bear with him, Trafalgar explains that the marines have been present since before the auction started. This is very significant since it has already been stated that the marines don’t go into the lawless zones of groves below 30. Since they couldn’t have guessed that the Strawhats would assault the Tenryuubito, Law deduces that they were after someone else but he has no idea who it could be. We can guess that this individual is Rayleigh. Even though Garp said he’d take care of it and not to worry about it, there is a good chance that that order has not reached them and the ones that discovered his whereabouts are extremely cautious about him to the point of entering the lawless zone of Grove 1. Although the information Law provides is indeed valuable, the true gem of this conversation is Law himself. To him, this entire catastrophe is nothing more than entertainment. This makes the second instance where we have seen him just sit and watch others fight, hinting that he will likely play a very similar role when the major conflict of the arc occurs. Law will take a unique and prominent presence during this arc regardless of whether my ideas regarding a pirate alliance or naval battle come true. He will stand on the sidelines supporting neither combatant but just hoping that the carnage continues and possibly playing a hand in making sure that happens. Eventually though, he will be forced to enter the conflict himself though I cannot even begin to guess as to what the circumstances of it will be or what part he will play when he does. In short, this second example of Law’s habit of watching conflicts only goes to further my certainty that he is the type of man I have assumed him to be from the beginning. I’ve said it in reviews before but I’ll say it again, Law is the supernova to watch this arc.

The Last to Join the Fray

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4058/5adp6.png
can you imagine him as a slave? it's an amusing thought

While the entire auction house is in chaos, the only Tenryuubito still conscious decides to take matters into her hands. Since she can’t stand up to the Strawhats physically and it is clear that the pirates don’t care about threats of marines or slavery, she has decided to kill Caimie out of nothing but spite. They have knocked out both her father and brother but the guards have been incapable of delivering the punishment she feels they deserve. Since their goal is to save Caimie, she decides to kill the mermaid for no reason other than to punish them. However, she does not succeed as she faints before pulling the trigger. From behind Caimie’s fishbowl, a pair of giant hands tears an opening in the back wall through which Rayleigh and the giant both appear. Somehow both have escaped their chains and their explosive collars and now walk free. Apparently Rayleigh’s goal in being sold at auction was to steal money from whoever bought him, confirming Garp’s analysis that the legendary pirate was simply in debt. However, since the place has erupted in total chaos, he changed his plan and stole the money from the auction house winnings. Although we can’t be sure if he released any of the other slaves up for auction, he and the giant have bonded somewhat and for the time being seem to be planning to move together for a little while. As I mentioned the first time we saw the giant and Rayleigh, the giant seems to be well informed as he could instantly tell when Rayleigh used “spirit” to knock out disco. Although it was clear from the beginning that the old man would have a major role in the arc, it is clear now that the giant will also have a somewhat significant role (at least he will once we find out his name).

The Legend

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7455/6ayg7.png
please ignore the massive display of power and trust my intentions

Although both Rayleigh and the giant have managed to escape from the exploding collars that were thought to be foolproof, it is clear that the guards are more concerned with the giant. Simply the idea of fighting against a giant is enough to terrify the guards and make them want to flee. However, Hachi is the one person who takes more notice of the old man, identifying him as Rayleigh. Rayleigh also takes notice of Hachi and is initially excited to see his old friend but sobers up as he looks around to understand the circumstances of this reunion. He notices the pretty mermaid now half rescued, the Tenryuubito unconscious and thoroughly beaten, and the pirate crew fighting against the full force of the auction house armored guards. After putting it all together, he fully comprehends why Hachi is here and why he has a bullet wound. Once this is understood, he pulls of one of the most remarkable sights we have yet seen and shows off his mastery of the “spirit” technique. We have seen Luffy use it unintentionally on a single target and have seen Shanks use it indiscriminately, but the way Rayleigh uses it is truly unique. He can limit its range to target large groups of people and selectively choose who is exempt from it. In addition, the strength of it appears to be much greater that what we saw from Shanks. The red-haired Yonkou’s version was indiscriminate but only affected those who lacked the strength of will to withstand it. We can assume that at least some of the guards at the auction house would have strength of will comparable to the lower ranks of the Whitebeard crew and could withstand it, but Rayleigh’s version knocked them all out. This brings up the issue of whether the pirates other than the Strawhats were affected since they were likely not included in Rayleigh’s exclusion. Although it is more powerful than Shanks’s version, its effectiveness is still based on the affected’s willpower, so I think it is safe to say that Kidd, Killer, and Law are still fine though I cannot say the same for their crews. As the Strawhats stare with wonder at what they just saw, Rayleigh instantly recognizes Luffy by the Straw hat and addresses the pirate captain, saying that he has wanted to meet this rookie. While most people have a tendency to underestimate Luffy at first glance, Rayleigh instantly recognizes the strength and fearlessness of the Strawhat captain. He has a couple reasons for this view. First of all, like all other who have come in contact with Roger, a certain similarity can be seen in Luffy and since Rayleigh was closer to Roger than anyone else, he has a far better sense for recognizing this. In addition, he also traveled with Shanks and likely recognized the hat after seeing it on Luffy for the first time. With his analytical ability, he most likely already figured out that Luffy’s connection to Shanks. Between these two things, he has good reason to be very interested in Luffy despite his own exit from the pirate world a long time ago. He and Luffy have quite a bit to discuss. I doubt he’ll give away any details of One Piece or any tips gained from the trip with Roger, but we can expect at least an amusing story and hopefully a flashback that centers around the personality of Shanks and/or Roger.

Overall

Every week I thank Oda for the bountiful awesomeness he has bestowed upon us and this week is no different. Though I must say that this chapter contained less plot development than we have become accustomed to in his chapters (partially due to nearly three pages of no text at the start), what we did get was incredible. One little detail that gave me great pleasure is that every reference to the summoning of an admiral also included a reference to battleships. As I’ve made very clear in my reviews of this arc, I predict that we will have the first true naval battle of this series. So far this has been hinted by the naming of some characters such as Trafalgar Law and Drake, both of whose names can be traced back to historic British naval victories in some way. Now that we know that the admiral’s arrival will bring with him an armada rather than just him coming to punish the pirates personally, the idea of having a massive ship to ship battle is looking more likely. This arc is shaping up to be the most awesome saga Oda has yet written.

True Blade
June 14, 2008, 08:45 PM
Great review as always. I am SUPER excited to hear any stories Rayleigh may have about his time as the First Mate of Gol D. Roger. I'd love to hear a specific story about Roger, so that we can get a better idea of the type of man he was... and his magnitude of power.
The spirit burst technique that Rayleigh showed off was concentrated. Now I'm sure he's at least as powerful, if not more so than Shanks, but he focused on his targets, whereas when Shank was dealing with Whitebeard, I think he was just flexing his muscles. I have to wonder what the gap in power between Shanks and Rayleigh truely is.
Finally... I am pretty excited to see a second admiral, since Ao Kiji obviously can't make an appearance. I wonder what kind of abilities he will have...

taimoor2
June 14, 2008, 09:38 PM
A very good review indeed. However, I don't agree with this:

at least some of the guards at the auction house would have strength of will comparable to the lower ranks of the Whitebeard crew and could withstand it

The "rookie" of shanks crew had a 93 million beri bounty. That's twice as high as the Hyena! We can expect the Whitebeard crew to be of a similiar strength. There is no way the guards are at that level.

Also, It is more than likely that Shanks is stronger than Reyleigh. The reason I say so is because the former is a current active Yonkou and the latter, even though legendary, is still a retired old hag!

omni-giri
June 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
gah, i skiped a paragraph...you answered my question...please ignore the idot typing this message
but there was one more thing...i was just wondering if anyone else noticed that in the new mushroom art that (almost) each crew member has a number, the number of which they joined.... im guessing the rest of them you can't see the number but the other ones are visible, like on zoro's back there's a fleck of white- probably the number 2 and on chopper's backpack is the top of the number 6.... idk that made me happy i noticed that ^^

Raysen_ht
June 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
Great review!!
The guards are really prejudicial arent they!?!? i mean, they have the whole SH crew, law, kidd, killer, Reylegh at the action house, and all they care about is a stupid giant...

I don't agree with this:

at least some of the guards at the auction house would have strength of will comparable to the lower ranks of the Whitebeard crew and could withstand it

The "rookie" of shanks crew had a 93 million beri bounty. That's twice as high as the Hyena! We can expect the Whitebeard crew to be of a similiar strength. There is no way the guards are at that level.

Also, It is more than likely that Shanks is stronger than Reyleigh. The reason I say so is because the former is a current active Yonkou and the latter, even though legendary, is still a retired old hag!

i totally agree with that, its not possible to compare this guards with any of the piretes on yonko´s crews, they are simply bugs in comparison. Also Shanks is stronger imo

I think Reylegh will tell a few storys (but nothing major), coat the ship and die fighting the admiral!!! that because he can answer any question about anything, and there is no good/reasonable way of preventing him from reaveling secrets besides killing him

sahugani
June 15, 2008, 04:13 AM
@True Blade - i'm pretty certain Rayleigh is at Yonkou strength though he might be a bit rusty if he matched up against one like Shanks right now. as for the admiral, we'll find out soon enough

@taimoor2 - i see what you mean, but i doubt every recruit in the yonkou crews (which have massive crew numbers) is as exceptional as Rockstar. Whitebeard even has so many crewmembers that he divided his forces with 4 commanders. when dealing with numbers that great, i highly doubt that each and every one of them has a high bounty or a bounty at all. they can be treated as being somewhat similar to the marines. the Yonkou might have insanely strong officers, but the foot soldiers are average and unspectacular.

@omni-giri - haha. i noticed it as well. its somewhat odd that he numbered them in that fashion since up until this he has numbered them by joining order without including Luffy (Zoro=1, Nami=2, etc). i'd have expected him to number Luffy 0

@Raysen_ht - if we get a Rayleigh death scene, i expect that it would be in the same light as Pell's death where he didn't actually die. as for preventing him from revealing secrets, Luffy has already stated before that he wants to find out these things on his own and won't want to hear those kinds of things from Rayleigh, who will understand and agree that its the right choice. however, amusing stories of Rayleigh, Shanks, and Roger are still fair game

Goji
June 15, 2008, 08:26 AM
Just like Oda delivers every week, so do you Sahugani! Nice review, thank you for that. ^^

The only comment I have is about the use of Rayleigh's "spirit". You thought/think that he only targeted the auction guards, but I first saw it as an overall use of spirit (although directed in front of him). It just seemed logical that all the SH-crewmembers had enough 'resolution' to keep themselves standing, facing such spirit. That's how I viewed that situation...

I also have a little theory about Rayleigh. Although it is pure speculation, I like it; what if Rayleigh is Garp's brother? I mean, that would be just awesome!
You have to agree with me that he looks a lot like Garp, and he also has the same fun-loving, relaxed attitude. It would also be great to see that one brother became a famous marine, while the other became the right hand of the former Pirate King.
This would also explain (or should I say: explain even further) the fact that Rayleigh knows about Luffy, and explain the fact that Garp made such an accurate guess as to why Rayleigh was being auctioned. He knows his brother... :P
I know it's pure speculation, but it could be a possibility, couldn't it?
It also would be awesome to see Garp coming to the archipelo to 'handle' his brother. Maybe that also would explain why Garp didn't want Sengoku to know about his sighting in the auction..?

Even if it didn't happen, it would be great stuff for a fanfic. XD

Navid.
June 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
Nice review, though I have to say I also don't agree on the decleration that Rayleigh is a step above Shanks in terms of how he used his spirit, I mean there is a possibility, but by no means has any real clue been given... I guess all I'm saying is that its to much of a guess at this time.

Anyway, out of the Supernova's outside of the Strawhat Crew it seems Kid, Law, Hawkins and maybe Drake are a noticable step above the others... Especially the first three, they have all been in the situation where a Tenryuubito has been or about to be attacked, yet the reaction has been very different to everyone else.

And the more I read throught the chapters since the Supernova's introduction the more I believe Kid's crew and the Strawhats will fight each other, Kid stikes me as a person who would want to fight Luffy simply because he finds him to be interesting.

It goes without saying, but Oda has delivered yet another great chapter, that mixes action, plot and new revalations whitout it ever seeming forced... Can't wait until next week.

Raysen_ht
June 15, 2008, 03:01 PM
as for preventing him from revealing secrets, Luffy has already stated before that he wants to find out these things on his own and won't want to hear those kinds of things from Rayleigh, who will understand and agree that its the right choice. however, amusing stories of Rayleigh, Shanks, and Roger are still fair game

Imo that would be such a boring way of preventing him from talking, Oda can do much better than that!!!... i mean "i want find out on my on" is just a lame excuse... besides it only works for Luffi, i´m prepared to bet that Robin would want to know everything about the ponegliphs and the lost history!!! Also Sanji asks about All blue, Nami about treasure (what is one piece, where did Roger hid it etc..) and also information on the navigation in the new world... etc etc

Maybe he lost his memorys and stuff, but that would be a major turn off...

I agree with Goji that Reyleigh did the same thing shanks did, but all the SH were able to resist it

Absolutio
June 15, 2008, 03:57 PM
First of all, a great review for a great chapter! Would've done one myself, but I really don't have any time this week.. Had a major test today, having a major test tomorrow, and also at Teusday, and a major major test at wednesday, and friday - another major test. So as you can see, very busy and harsh week in my computer course, but good thing is, when I finish it, I might be able to join the technical staff here in MH (if they want me :p ).
Anyways, back on topic, I almost agreed with you on everything in this review, except the Spirit thingie, as other disagreed with you as well.
First of all, for the "rough" details.. WB doesn't have a very big crew and that's why he has 4 commanders. He has a HUGE crew devided into 16 divisions - each division is 100 ppl, so there are probably 1-16 division leaders.
But back to topic..
IMO, there are 2 possilities for the spirit case.
1. Rayleigh DID selectively choose his targets for this release, but it still doesn't mean anything about him and Shanks comparison. Those guards were rubbish, so I think that your comparison of them with WB's crew is really unreasonable. So you can't really compare Shanks with Rayleigh using those guards as a factor.
2. Rayleigh only released a small amount of spirit and all the guards fainted since they're weaklings, and the strawhats were more than able to withstand this spirit release.

pandaman1982
June 15, 2008, 06:33 PM
Imo that would be such a boring way of preventing him from talking, Oda can do much better than that!!!... i mean "i want find out on my on" is just a lame excuse... besides it only works for Luffi, i´m prepared to bet that Robin would want to know everything about the ponegliphs and the lost history!!! Also Sanji asks about All blue, Nami about treasure (what is one piece, where did Roger hid it etc..) and also information on the navigation in the new world... etc etc

Maybe he lost his memorys and stuff, but that would be a major turn off...

I agree with Goji that Reyleigh did the same thing shanks did, but all the SH were able to resist it

Well there isn't going to be much time for them to talk as the Tenryuubito incident adds a sense of urgency to their departure as the longer they stay on Shabondy the more danger they're in, and in all honesty aside from fun loving Rayleigh's already shown himself to be a bit of a twisted git as well as someone who doesn't believe in pointless discussion, look at how he shut up Buggy and Shanks in their argument on the poles. He'll only talk about what he wants to, though Robin might be able to charm some poneglyph info from him. If the rest of them ask questions he won't answer because he knows that having someone hand you your dream would make it worthless.

sahugani
June 17, 2008, 03:47 PM
sorry this took a while

@Goji - the reason i say it was a targeted technique is based also on his previous use a few chapters ago where he targeted Disco specifically without hitting anyone else. also, though you could argue that the Strawhats have the resolution, the same can't be said about Caimie. as for the brother theory, while it would be interesting, i'd have to say its unlikely. first of all, Rayleigh is not a D, which has been a part of the name that even Ace didn't get rid of. i think Garp not wanting Sengoku to know is because Garp knows Rayleigh's personality better than anyone else still living and is one of the few marines capable of having a friendly chat with him. since the marines are currently busy dealing with Whitebeard, it is better to talk to Rayleigh and make sure he won't be causing any extra trouble

@Navid - you're right that any comparison of strength between Rayleigh and the Yonkou at this point is premature. i just think that given his experience and set of circumstances, Rayleigh's version of "spirit" is likely more refined though it may be inferior to Shanks in terms of power. as for the supernovae, i would include Drake in the top class group you mentioned and would say that in terms of value to the arc, he will likely be more important than Hawkins. Hawkins is not only powerful (3rd highest bounty) but he is also seemingly an agreeable person who when the time comes would be the least objectionable of any supernovae to the idea of an alliance. the other three you mentioned though are much more complex characters and in terms of plot development will be much more critical. as you suggested, Kidd will likely want to fight Luffy, but i think that either Luffy will beat him or the admiral will arrive and beat Luffy to the punch by taking Kidd down.

@Raysen_ht - i think that even if the others asked him he wouldn't say except to hint that all their answers can be found at Raftel. Rayleigh understands that each crew must make its impact on the world with their own hands and find their dreams for themselves.

@Absolutio - haha. good luck on the exams. now on topic. to put to rest this argument over comparing the strength of a guard to WB's lowest ranks, i'll submit that saying they were equal was presumptuous and the low rank WB are likely stronger. the point i was trying to make was that if a person's willpower is above a certain level, the person is unaffected as was proven by Shanks's version not hitting everyone. since Rayleigh's version apparently knocked out everyone present, it brings up the question of if anyone out-of-frame and not in Rayleigh's exemption such as Law or Kidd's followers were unaffected.

@pandaman1982 - well said. Rayleigh knows what kind of information he should pass on and what he should leave for them to discover on their own. he's not going to take away the romance of finding out the unknown from them. as you said though, if we do get any info (or a minor hint at least) it will be poneglyph related since we haven't gotten new clues on that front for a damn long while. i still stand by my prediction that in addition to Robin, Drake will also somehow be involved in a poneglyph subplot of the arc

Goji
June 17, 2008, 06:28 PM
@Goji - the reason i say it was a targeted technique is based also on his previous use a few chapters ago where he targeted Disco specifically without hitting anyone else. also, though you could argue that the Strawhats have the resolution, the same can't be said about Caimie.

I agree with you about the fact that he can target ppl, we definitely saw that with the disco stu incident. But that's why I said that he directed his aura/spirit in front of him, in the direction of the hall, where everyone was fighting. So that Camie wouldn't be affected by it.

...overall use of spirit (although directed in front of him).
But we know that he can target, so it could be possible he picked the auction-guards. It would just seem more easy for him to use his spirit on the whole place in front of him...
I deem the two theories possible anyways. ^^

as for the brother theory, while it would be interesting, i'd have to say its unlikely. first of all, Rayleigh is not a D, which has been a part of the name that even Ace didn't get rid of. i think Garp not wanting Sengoku to know is because Garp knows Rayleigh's personality better than anyone else still living and is one of the few marines capable of having a friendly chat with him. since the marines are currently busy dealing with Whitebeard, it is better to talk to Rayleigh and make sure he won't be causing any extra trouble

The brother thing was just a crazy fling, and you made a great argument with the 'D' not being present in his name, so yah, nevermind about them being brothers! :sweat
I agree with what you say about Garp knowing him from the old days, and maybe being the sole marine who could actually have a 'nice' conversation with him. And he did explain already why he didn't want Sengoku informed about the whole incident. Indeed it's not wise to let the government handle two legends at the same time...

There are a lot of exciting chapters to come, and I hope we get to see Garp in the next one!