PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach Gaiden -A Full Review by Pat

patedecarne
June 20, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hi, my friends, how are you? Ufff, finally it’s finished, it took me so hours to finish it, but it was worth the efforts! This is the biggest project I’ve wrote, and I did it because this part of Bleach really deserved. The review you’ll see here is a review for the whole Bleach Gaiden! I’m not reviewing Bleach since chapter -101, and like I said in the Naruto’s review, I’m not stopping with Bleach review, it’s just I don’t have so much free time like before, but if you can remember, I’m loving this gaiden, and I just couldn’t let it pass without any review, and now, I’m coming with this big one, and one of the reasons is because I think a full review would suit way better: being a short saga, I think a full review could be better for some clarifications.

For example, I can make so many references that explains some event in the latest chapters from the gaiden without assumptions, the number of options is great, because the majority of the events are complemented not in the chapter where they began, but in later chapters; linking all the events give us a better clarification to be used in the review, and the only way to get it is through the full review; we can manipulate the entire review this way. Of course this review is way bigger than the usual ones, but it was necessary, once I’m covering about 12 chapters, and with so many details, a short review wouldn’t let analyze all the points, and using the blocks could be more easy to understand the review too;

Ok then, shall we begin?

All the scanlations are from Binktopia

Bleach Gaiden Saga

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden1.jpg
Three months ago, would you believe on that?

I can remember as if were yesterday…

The people here were wondering about exactly what would be covered in the gaiden, when the first spoilers came up, and I’m confessing right now, I wasn’t prepared for that! Shinji as 5º squad’s captain, Love as 7º squad’s captain, Rose as 3º squad’s captain and Hiyori as 12º squad’s vice captain. These revelations were really shocking, more than I could expect. Then, the gaiden would tell the story behind the Vaizards, and what really happened in the past. We know the vaizard are a former shinigami group that obtained hollow powers, but to think they were high class shinigamis(captains and vice captains) were to much to bear. Kubo surprised us so much about it: many people were complaining about Hueco Mundo saga, and they weren’t with high hopes about this arc, but seeing such twist in the series was a great movement by Kubo. And add to this that the main focus would be the vaizards: before the gaiden, they were almost unknown people with unknown reasons, and after the gaiden, we can understand a little more their true motivations, and mainly, their origins.

With such revelations, the people really got excited: this is the first time Kubo is writing a saga pertinent to past, and with we got so far, many people were predicting an excellent gaiden. And at least to me, I have nothing to complain about plot: Kubo is really great writing about plot twists, as we can notice here. Well, the vaizards weren’t just an ordinary group, then, using logic, we could imply something really bigger happened in Soul Society in the past. And seeing Aizen as Shinji’s vice captain was great too, and from his look on the end of chapter -108, we can see clearly that Aizen wasn’t the good guy with glasses he seemed to be. Not all the pre-vaizards were introduced in the beginning, but with the time, the 8 of them were here, and they would take part in a fateful night…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden2.jpg
Yes, finally a good development about one of the greatest Bleach characters!

From all the people involved, Kisuke Urahara was the most important among them: he was greatly developed here, he was the main star in the initial phase and not only that, but we saw an Urahara as never seen before. In the first panel of chapter -107 was said that Urahara was the key to everything that happen, and since that moment, I was really interesting in see how Kisuke would conduct the event. Well, he isn’t exactly the key for all the mess, but I think is more appropriate to say he’s responsible for the consequences. In my opinion, his greatest moment was about the proposal to Mayuri: Urahara was being an amoral in that moment, using everything to get Mayuri’s help, even if it means to set frees a potential mind to Soul Society. The lazy Urahara from present was no more, and this newly captain already wanted to build a research and development center, believing that such act would change Soul Society. Too much for a new captain, huh? There’s more in that guy than meets the eye…

I would call Kisuke a little immature back then, probably in the edge of “amoral” character. I think that’s the great thing about his development in this saga: in the first, he was a little selfish, doing the things by his own, but in the end, we can see a man who’s unable to help his fellow comrades, astonished and worried. Sending Hiyori without knowing what was happening show this situation: first: he was lazy and just said that would send someone to help, but then, when Mashiro and Kensei’s reiatsu just vanished, he was finally aware from the danger in send his vice captain to the epicenter.

But what got my attention about Urahara was the reasons behind his banishment: It was told that Urahara was banned because he created a special gigai, but seeing him with so much focus here lead me to think that Urahara’s sins weren’t so simple, and so, when Tessai and Yoruichi appeared as well, my hopes were to high to see Urahara involved with the vaizards, and finally my dream come true: Urahara’s banishment was strongly related with the vaizard’s origins! Such a twist for one of the most mysterious characters in Bleach! Soul Society did a good job hidind the true reasons regarding the banishment. And now everything became clear!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden3.jpg
Man, how ugly are you, huh?

The main purpose of the gaiden was to show the truth behind the vaizards, but there’s another aspect I think deserves so much attention: the side characters. To tell the truth, in the first 4 chapters, there wasn’t so much emphasis on vaizard’s story, instead Kubo gave some focus to side characters that in the present are at least vice captains: Mayuri, Byakuya, Gin, Soi Fong, Hisagi and Ise Nanao, though the last 2 ones were introduced after the initial phase, where the true plot really begins to move.

First, we can see Soi Fong as some Yoruichi’s assistant, and even in an early age, she’s showing loyalty and respect toward her leader; the next one was Mayuri, the only prisoner locked with chains in the Maggot’s nest; and the gaiden wasn’t enough to explain why Mayuri was the only one in this condition. In the later parts of this review I’ll give a more detailed look about this issue, but for now, one possibility could be that Kubo was trying to show how far Urahara would go to achieve his goals, setting free the prisoner with the greatest potential to be a menace to SS.

Then Byakuya was the next one to appears, but this time we saw a little, kid Byakuya, but still with his harsh and selfish attitude. By the end of chapter -105, finally Gin was presented, and just like Byakuya, we could see a kid too, another prodigy. In some past reviews, I noticed some resemblances with Soujiro Seta from Rurouni Kenshin, but now, after all the events in the gaiden, Gin isn’t like Soujiro, because he has a killing intent and the evil grin even before his meeting with Aizen, then I’ll say he’s really evil, even as only a child.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden4.jpg
Cute, cute, cute!!!!

But we have more “child” characters other than those mentioned above: When the plot really get serious, Hisagi Shuuhei, also a kid, was introduced as a citizen of Rukongai, being saved by Kensei, then the little Akon too, and he was able to dodge Hiyori’s kick, and later, during the climax, the cute Nanao was presented in a speech with Shunsui! Yes, at this point, they aren’t relevant to the story, because they’re haven’t nothing to do with vaizards, but I must say I’m happy to see them.

I can see some fan service at this aspect, because there’s no need to show us all of these characters if they won’t pay a important role in the story, but with this, Kubo is giving more than just a main plot. At least to me, I think is important to know how some characters were in the past, because we can compare their personalities in the past with the present ones, and with this, we can understand their actions and behaviors better: Nanao, for example, already carried a book despite being a child, which explains why she’s so responsible in the present, or even Byakuya, with his arrogance and the desire to be the leader of Kuchiki clan.

And let’s not forget two people in the gaiden: Kuchiki Ginrei and Shiba Kaien. Ginrei was introduced as the leader of Kuchiki clan, and the interesting point is that Ginrei uses the same scarf as Byakuya, and probably his division is the 6º. By this, I think is safe to conclude the Kuchiki family always has an important position on Gotei 13, just like the Shihouin family. Regarding Kaien, I was so happy to see him here, even if his role was short, but he’s one of my favorites over the series. At that time, he isn’t Ukitake’s vice captain, and not only that, but he’s refusing any proposal related with such duties. It’s interesting to see how Kubo gave some emphasis about this point, and my guess is that Kaien changed his mind after the fateful night: Kaien is a person with great honor and courage, and his powers are only used for justice, and to prevent more disasters, he’ll become a vice captain. I think this behavior would suit perfectly with Kaien.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden5.jpg
Well, finally these weird things are being explained…

Throughout of the series, some questions popped up, and even if some of these doubts were irrelevant, I was curious to understand them, and the gaiden came just in time to explain some points. Let’s take Royal Guard: in the main plot: RG was mentioned just once, but Kubo didn’t gave further information aside its existence; here, Shunsui mentioned RG as being the 0 Squad, and Hikifune, the previous 12º squad’s captains, was promoted to it. Then, 0 squad is above Gotei 13, and probably it’s composed only by captain-level shinigamis. With that, now we know that captains can be promoted, and probably, in some point in the past, others captains were promoted as well.

Yoruichi being a captain is another issue that was well explained in the gaiden: people (including me) were wondering what was Yoruichi’s role in the past, and being the 2º squad captain show us that she’s really important: not only her role as captain, but she was also the head of Shihouin family and leader of the Special Ops. She just threw off everything to go along with Urahara, and since her fight against Soi Fong, her motivations for such actions were unclear, but now we know why she fled so sudden from Soul Society.

More interesting details are related with Byakuya/Yoruichi and Hisagi’s tattoo: regarding Byakuya and Yoruichi, the term “little Byakuya” that once Yoruichi used had its origins in a relationship they once shared in the past. Most likely they were closer, and since that time Byakuya wasn’t a challenge for her in Shunpo, and the “little Byakuya” could had derived from this: Even now, Byakuya cannot win, and in Yoruichi’s mind, always he’ll be the little one who never won a Shunpo match!
As for Hisagi, Kensei used the same tattoo he’s using now, and to honor the person who saved his life, Hisagi will carry Kensei’s legacy. And Muguruma will be always and idol to Hisagi, despite being a vaizard in the present; I don’t think the feelings will change…

Oh, and let’s not forget about the Kidou Ops: just like the Royal Guard, the Kidou Ops was barely introduced until now, and what a surprise to see both Tessai and Hacchi in such squad; and it was one of the best things: Again another important character in Soul Society, that in the present time works with Urahara, had showed up: Tessai. His origins were finally revealed, and so Hacchi. And their robes were very appropriate: they remind so much from RPG games like Final Fantasies! Great move, Kubo!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden6.jpg
I’m out of words to comment this masterpiece…

Kubo is great when writing about development, and in the latest chapters, the gaiden had became so dark and with so much drama. There’s particularly one panel I liked so much, the panel where Shunsui was telling to Nanao that Lisa wouldn’t study with her in that night, because Lisa was in an important mission, at the same time where Lisa was being hardly attacked by Kensei; then Kyouraku said that there’s no need to worry about her, she would come safety. One of the greatest moments in the entire saga in my opinion, we could see the drama about Lisa, and Shunsui words were useless, because in the end, things wouldn’t ever return to normal. And judging by his face, somehow I think he knew that something bad would happen. He wasn’t the usual Shunsui in those panels; great work here. To tell the truth, I don’t have any complains about the drama and suspense aspect: I love when the authors manage to write well these and more importantly, that the feeling could be well passed to us, readers, and I took this feeling.

Another great moment portraying the drama was when Shinji was becoming a hollow: his facial expression was perfect while being a hollow. As Aizen was explaining the entire plan and Shinji was unable to counter the transformation. He was so powerless, because he couldn’t save himself or his friends as well. He knew that Aizen couldn’t be trusted, and the worst thing is know the enemy could be at his side, and being attacked by the person he was keeping an eye on. Aside the injuries, Shinji was mentally broken and this was the great moment in chapter -99. Another example is Urahara, so worried about Hiyori, she was in great danger and he was unable to do anything; if anything happens with her, will be his fault. Must be really painful to bear all of this, and I was putting myself in Urahara’s place to wonder how would be the pressure and agony. All of these moments were great: in a story focused more on plot than fight, dramatic moments are essential for a good development.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden7.jpg
Shinji protecting Hiyori… Yes, this is a rare thing!

Besides Urahara, who got a special treatment here, we could see other developments as well: I was glad to see how Kubo developed the pre vaizards, even if was just a little. The relationship between Hiyori and Shinji, for example: all the time, Hiyori and Shinji were bashing each other, but in the serious moments, like when Shinji saved Hiyori from Kensei, their mood changed drastically. Among the vaizards, Kensei and Mashiro were great as captain and vice captain, even with their childish behavior! The gaiden had some funny moments, which is a trademark from Bleach. I love to see all these relationships being developed, and being a flashback, it was a must. Another good example was Urahara and Hiyori: at first, cleary we saw Hiyori’s feelings toward Urahara, but as time had passed, Urahara was able to gain her trust by his actions, like the walking in the Maggot’s Nest (which isn’t exactly a health walking, hehe…). In the second part of the gaiden, Hiyori wasn’t complaining like before.

Shunsui and Lisa, another perfect example to be used here: the harmony between both of them was incredible: Sometimes they’re perverted, but the cooperative side from them and relationship was portrayed in the best possible way; that “thumbs up” add some great drama: because Lisa immediately agreed in help with the investigation, following Shunsui’s request. And unfortunately, we already knew that Lisa wouldn’t make it. This human side is what I was expecting to see: in an organization like Soul Society, where the laws are severe, even people like Shunsui, an experienced captain, sometimes will act as someone who really cares about others: his attitude towards Urahara, try to encourage him and in process sending Lisa to help Hiyori show that perfectly. More than soldiers, they’re humans, and that’s important! The same could apply to Yoruichi: she was angry because Urahara didn’t tell her anything about his plans, despite her being a captain; she would help him at all cost.

And speaking of Yoruichi, I never expected to see her, Urahara and Tessai with strong bonds like here. Probably due the fact Tessai and Urahara were under Shihouin’s family for a long time. In a first moment, I didn’t think Tessai and Urahara were closer, mainly because their meeting in the emergency room, but then, Tessai wouldn’t let Urahara go alone. And seems their friendship still is strong, even in the present!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden8.jpg
Not only you, Yammamoto, but the rest of the world too…

The plot…

Bleach has only a few plot twists so far: Aizen’s betrayal and Aizen’s plans after Hueco Mundo saga are the main ones. With this gaiden, I can see some “revival” about storylines. The gaiden was composed by 12 chapters; the initial 4 chapters aren’t directly related with the gaiden’s main plot -even because 9 years had been passed after the fourth chapter; instead, Kubo showed us how was the life in the past, presenting some new characters and introducing old ones. After the 9 year’s gap the things really became interesting: three people were conducting -to not say other thing- forbidden experiments, using normal souls that weren’t enough, and these souls were just disappearing. From that moment, I was sure this problem would reach Gotei 13 and Shinji and co., and probably the vaizard’s event would be related with the experiments. Later, we’d found out that the three mysterious people were none other than our beloved trio: Aizen, Gin and Tousen. While it wasn’t exactly a surprise, the events were developed in an interesting way.

In my point of view, the story told was good, but there’s one factor I think this saga was so great: the proportions it reached. And so the consequences. Soul Society is a great organization, with Central 46, and Gotei 13. And in that fateful night, even if by a short period of time, SS had became a completely chaos: they lose 6 captains, 3 vice captains, the leader of Kidou ops and his vice leader and the head of the Special Ops. More than half of its total power was split in the greatest crisis SS ever witnessed, even greater than Aizen’s betrayal. I love stories where plots have a great impact, and even if the twist factor wasn’t so important here –after all, this is a gaiden, and great twists aren’t necessary-, the consequences were the points who took me my attention. I like catastrophic events, and there wasn’t any way to increase it more. So many people had their lives completely changed after this saga, and it was one more point to add in the consequence aspect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden9.jpg
Always you, huh, mister Clark Kent?

The suspense began when Kensei and Mashiro were sent to investigate the souls that were disappearing, and this exemplifies what I’ve said above: from a small issue, to a problem with great proportions: to send a captain is already a sign of problems coming. And when the problem had extended to Kensei and Mashiro, things got even worse, because SS was caught in surprise. And seeing Kensei as that grotesque thing was beyond my expectations: what a great was to conduct the events, because a captain being a hollow that way is a little to much. And then we finally saw another new vaizard’s mask: Mashiro’s one.

And hollow Kensei & Mashiro fighting and defeating all the squad again shows how SS was unprepared to stand with life-death situations. The squad was totally wiped out easily, and still I was wondering how they did become such hollows, when Aizen finally showed up and explained everything. I don’t know about you, people, but with this chain of events, Aizen now is in my top villain list. He’s more than evil; he was just treating Shinji and the others as materials, nothing more. Whether his true objective was just to play with hollowfication or not, still is unknown, but I think he was trying to gather information and data regarding the bounds between shinigamis and hollows. Now he knows that strong souls are needed in order to achieve a hollow, but unfortunately, still is unknown what kind of process was used. Like was mentioned by Urahara, he also was aware from the hollowfication, and now I’m thinking that in some point probably Kisuke had tested this process in some shinigamis, otherwise there’s no way to know exactly how to make it. Then, at least the vaizards’s origins were explained: unfortunately, they were just test subjects into Aizen’s hands. I’m glad to see that this transformation wasn’t just an accident, like I thought in the beginning!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden10.jpg
What a sin, Urahara! But it’s a shame you’re not the responsible…

And finally we reached the great climax, the moment where everything would be explained, and in a first moment, I was really worried about which routes Kubo would take, because just a single wrong move would screw up the entire gaiden, but for my sake, he did a very good job! Well, some things were somehow predictable, like Urahara and Hougyoku. Yes, the orb of distortion was used in a desperate attempt to save Shinji and co. From what I can understand, it’s able to break the limits between shinigami and hollow, but cannot revert the process once it’s triggered. I knew Hougyoku would pay an important role, and Urahara, even with good intentions, was unable to save them; this could be the most important sin in his life…

Tessai losing his rank as Kidou Ops leader was well explained too: he couldn’t be framed because he wasn’t a member if Urahara’s squad, but instead he was condemned because he used two forbidden techniques, and Yoruichi saving the two of them explains that wasn’t banned, thus her access to Soul Society wasn’t prohibited; she chose to help Urahara and Tessai, then she couldn’t return as a captain and Special Ops leader. Kubo was able to link the events correctly, if I must say, the tension built in the very last chapter was formidable: first, Shinji without any hope to get better, the Urahara and Tessai’s inquisition, and finally, Kisuke’s words that he would try anything to save the vaizards.

Regarding his judgement, yes, now it’s finally explained, and how painful it was to him: Aizen was the true responsible, but still, Kyouka Suigetsu is too powerful, and everyone were fooled. But it’s interesting to see that Urahara has some guilty about hollowfication, after all, he also was testing this process, thus making him one of the responsible too. Not too much action in the ending, but the dramatic moments was worth it. After all, everything was connected and the past could finally be well explained!

And for last, but not less important, the vaizard’s motivation: Now I can understand perfectly their feelings: Soul Society just would dispose them without any help, they just served SS well, and suddenly, they’d become trash. Probably I would hate SS as well for that. But when one comes to think carefully about it, this problem is a double-edge knife: SS was aware from hollowfication, therefore I would say that still there isn’t any known cure for this problem, and SS cannot allow hollows among them. The situation was very complicated for both of the parts. And still there’s Aizen factor: could be strange, but all of this hatred build through the last chapter was another special feature here, because from now everything could happen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach11.jpg
I loved this panel: the kick was great, and Shinji is having a hard time here…

This saga was focused mainly in the story, so Kubo didn’t give much focus about the battles here. Of course, some fights were necessary to understand better the plot. Kensei against giant hollow was a short battle, but still was good to see his release command. In the fight with hollow Kensei and Mashiro against the squad, the squad almost had no chance to stand: the two hollows were too strong to been counterattacked. But I must say I was happy with this fight, because with it, we san an entire squad being disbanded.

An interesting detail I noticed in these fight is that Kubo didn’t show us more than we already know, Aside Kensei, who already had showed his shikai in the present, none of the remaining pre vaizards had showed any kind of ability. It’s more like Kubo is saving their abilities. Judging by that, I believe the vaizards will pay an important role in future, otherwise there’s no need to hide their powers.

And I think the Kidou Ops deserves some focus in the review, because they helped so much here. First, Hacchi: yes, even if he didn’t use Zanpakutou, he’s a true master of Kidou arts, and in a manner of talking, he was the savior in the fight, because he stopped both of them. And so Tessai: he even had used forbidden techniques to stop the time and to transfer places! Regarding Aizen and Urahara, I won’t call that event a true fight, the only thing that had been done there were two kidous. And speaking about Kidou, we saw some new ones, like the one Tessai had used in order to stop Aizen. If by one side we had nothing about swords skills, even with a few battles were enough to show new abilities like the new Kidous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/gaiden12.jpg
The picture is great, but unfortunately which method was used wasn’t explained…

This arc was a great one, indeed, but unfortunately, it has some flaws and thus cannot be called perfect. One of my greatest complains about it was chapter -106, regarding Maggot’s Nest. With that chapter, Kubo created a dark atmosphere as we could think that some “key” about the whole Gaiden could be inside it. He even spent an entire chapter dedicated about the Nests, and finally, he found Kurotsuchi Mayuri. Well, he could be the key to an important event in the past, but instead, he was almost totally neglected in the rest of the gaiden. So, why to spent 1, 5 chapter to release a prisoner without any relevance to plot? If Urahara’s true goal was only release Mayuri, Kubo could have skipped almost everything in chapter 106, and he would have one more chapter to advance in the plot. I could understand if Mayuri were to be important, but that’s not the case. Another possibility is that Kubo will use everything we know so far in some future references in the main plot, but until that (likely) day, this will be my greatest problem and complain about this saga.

Another problem I see here is regarding Aizen’s powers: we know how powerful he’s in the present, but in this saga I was expecting to see a weaker Aizen, plotting to become stronger, but he’s too powerful in that time, even being a vice captain: Aizen plotting everything, without being so powerful would suit way better now, using only strategy and intelligence; but no, his reiatsu was able to even scare Urahara, already a captain, and Tousen as well, not to tell he was able to block a powerful Hadou nº 88 easily with Dankuu. And let’s not forget about the hollowfication process: yes, those moments were dramatic, but Kubo didn’t explain exactly how this process was spread. Everything we saw was Shinji becoming a hollow without a coherent method. Could be some kind of virus? But being the case, then shouldn’t Aizen , Urahara and the other became hollows as well? As they’re in the same place of the vaizards, but still nothing happened. We know Aizen was using the hollowfication process, but the method should be explained too, we’re in the dark here, unfortunately.

Final Comments

This saga was excellent: in about 12 chapters, Kubo Tite managed to write a coherent and solid plot. We have drama, action, suspense and funny moments. Everything was connected correctly to a better understanding and with a cliffhanger where everything could happen. Like I said before, the story had explained very well about the events 101 years ago. Maybe the only thing missing is what happened after the Earth’s exile with Shinji and co., but I think we could get a slightly idea with the last chapter. It has flaws, like I mentioned before, but in an overall, it has so many pros against the cons. And since now I’m missing it so much, but it’s necessary to return to present to see what’ll happen from now, and the only thing I know is the vaizards probably will be the key in the upcoming war.
But Bleach is becoming even more attractive right now, and I won’t miss even a single chapter from now, and please, Kubo, keep the great quality as we had seen in this gaiden!!

Raysen_ht
June 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
Great review!!!!!!! Took me a while to go trought it all...
I loved how you separeted diferent issues and analised them complitely with the whole arc in ur mind, that was a great way to make everything more clear, and i think u should post this and stick it in the discussion thread (tree of knowlege for one piece, dont remember how the bleach one is called), so that people who dont read reviews have a better understanding of the gayden!!
i really liked this past history arc...Urahara was AWESOME, and all the connections and developments u mentioned were great!!

Who is Akon??

there was a couple of bad things imo
I didnt like that aisen was this strong, i mean if he was like that 100 ears ago, nobody will ever be able to defeat him now that he has the hougyoko...
I was really hoping to see ichigo´s and the quince´s (forgot his name lol) fathers apeear somehow and that was a big disapointment...

well for now thats it, if i remember something else ill post it latter

Muito obrigado por todo o trabalho que vc teve!! foi muito bom mesmo!!

Dhazard
June 20, 2008, 05:11 PM
This arc was a great one, indeed, but unfortunately, it has some flaws and thus cannot be called perfect. One of my greatest complains about it was chapter -106, regarding Maggot’s Nest. With that chapter, Kubo created a dark atmosphere as we could think that some “key” about the whole Gaiden could be inside it. He even spent an entire chapter dedicated about the Nests, and finally, he found Kurotsuchi Mayuri. Well, he could be the key to an important event in the past, but instead, he was almost totally neglected in the rest of the gaiden. So, why to spent 1, 5 chapter to release a prisoner without any relevance to plot? If Urahara’s true goal was only release Mayuri, Kubo could have skipped almost everything in chapter 106, and he would have one more chapter to advance in the plot. I could understand if Mayuri were to be important, but that’s not the case. Another possibility is that Kubo will use everything we know so far in some future references in the main plot, but until that (likely) day, this will be my greatest problem and complain about this saga.

Perhaps Kubo has done it to shed light into Szayel experiments, found by Mayuri after he beated the former:
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/306/17/
Nice review, Pat :)

JioFreed666
June 21, 2008, 12:50 AM
No mention on Tousen being the mole but still good review

elmo11
June 21, 2008, 02:46 AM
great review pat, i for one, certainly missed your reviews, got tired of refreshing the page. :D

patedecarne
June 23, 2008, 07:37 AM
Oh, yes, Raysen_ht, I'm taking care this issue: well, this review isn't a regular, a weekly one, and even something like a permanent sticky could be helpful to other people, not to mention this review can be used in future referencies; after all, it covers about an entire saga, and probably some future events will be directly related with this gaiden!

Ah, elmo11, I'll restart with the weekly Bleach reviews this week! the reason I didn't write the past reviews because with this gaiden, individual reviews would be redundanct!

chvis002
June 23, 2008, 02:30 PM
The pademonium story will most definitely continue at some point, there's 97 chapters left (and a few decades storywise). So the thing with maggots nest probably does have it's point, only not now. Since the pademonium is chronologicly told, the maggots nest must be told at the begining since it took place first. Also imo, it show alot about Uraharas personality and his way of doing things and was a nice soft starter of the gaiden.

Anyways, great review.

Schabrak
June 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
Pendulum not pademonium or pandemonium the old PSX game.^^

To chapter 106. Have you forgotten, that Kubo did show the Maggots Nest to show us the cruelty of the Soul Society. They rot the consciousness of old and other thinking Shinigami instead of just killing them. Nobles will for sure go into retirement... And it showed us Uraharas background and his strengh.

gundam_akira
June 24, 2008, 02:16 PM
Another problem I see here is regarding Aizen’s powers: we know how powerful he’s in the present, but in this saga I was expecting to see a weaker Aizen, plotting to become stronger, but he’s too powerful in that time, even being a vice captain: Aizen plotting everything, without being so powerful would suit way better now, using only strategy and intelligence; but no, his reiatsu was able to even scare Urahara, already a captain, and Tousen as well, not to tell he was able to block a powerful Hadou nº 88 easily with Dankuu. And let’s not forget about the hollowfication process: yes, those moments were dramatic, but Kubo didn’t explain exactly how this process was spread. Everything we saw was Shinji becoming a hollow without a coherent method. Could be some kind of virus? But being the case, then shouldn’t Aizen , Urahara and the other became hollows as well? As they’re in the same place of the vaizards, but still nothing happened. We know Aizen was using the hollowfication process, but the method should be explained too, we’re in the dark here, unfortunately.

I think Aizen's reiatsu to be as high as in the current arc is very reasonable. He mentioned during the SS arc that there are 4 types of fighting style, Swordmanship, Kidou, Unarmed Combat and Shunpo (not sure of the last 2). However, no matter how hard one practised, one will finally reach the cap and becomes limited by his own reiatsu limit. The only way to break this cap is to break the boundaries between a Shinigaimi and a Hollow, "Hollowification".

Thus, it makes sense that he discovered Hollowification thru one of his quest after reaching his cap. So, its reasonable now, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The virus was passed only when being slashed by the Hollow Kensei, Mashiro (and Hollified others, later).

Kensei experience Hollowification only after being slashed by someone (Tousen, I presumed).

After that, all those slashed by him and later (Hollified others) disappeared (weak souls) or become Hollified (vice-captains & above) themselves.

This is why Urahara and the others were ok. They never got slashed, all of them were lying still, except Shinji for unknown reasons. Tired?

patedecarne
June 26, 2008, 08:54 AM
@Schabrak
Yes, with that chapter, we could understand some SS's backgrounds, and that's why I would be happy if in the future, Kubo make some references about it, and I think he could had explained in a few pages. the development was interesting, but my complains are about how Kubo'd written the entire chapter; But I'm still with high hopes about some future references regarding Maggot's nest and SS's cruelty!

@gundam_akira
aizen discovering the hollowfication is a reasonable option for his powers, but I don't know if he has used it on himself: by the time he'd used this process on Shinji and co., probably he wasn't aware from its side-effects and consequencies, and we cannot say even if Aizen know about Vizard's existence, after all, they were disposed as trash, and in SS, probably the story has ended with it. Then Aizen could be afraid to use it, bcause he'd seen how Shinji was: almost dead.
And I like your theory regarding some likely virus, passing through direct contact, and to tell the truth, is the most reasonable option so far; But how Kensei and Mashiro were infected still is unclear, though;

Yakedo-Tenchou
June 27, 2008, 08:00 PM
Pendulum not pademonium or pandemonium the old PSX game.^^

To chapter 106. Have you forgotten, that Kubo did show the Maggots Nest to show us the cruelty of the Soul Society. They rot the consciousness of old and other thinking Shinigami instead of just killing them. Nobles will for sure go into retirement... And it showed us Uraharas background and his strengh.

How is that cruel? They locked them up because they were considered too dangerous to integrated with normal society. We already knew Kurotsuchi is completely insane and highly intelligent and dangerous. He was the only one locked up in a "cell."

Schabrak
June 28, 2008, 06:35 AM
How is that cruel? They locked them up because they were considered too dangerous to integrated with normal society. We already knew Kurotsuchi is completely insane and highly intelligent and dangerous. He was the only one locked up in a "cell."
So once you tell what you think, and it is a little bit different from what the goverment wants the people to think, you should be held captive and observerd for the rest of your life? Did you even read the chapter? They locked them up, because they could be dangerous, or because of hard actions, or just because of their thoughts.
What is the difference to a cell or a big room? Wow 4m³ more room to live.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/315.03/06/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bleach/315.03/11/

only answer when you read it again. tz

Yakedo-Tenchou
June 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
I quote Urahara on this from page 6. "For those who have joined the Squads, based on their thoughts and actions, if they bring danger to other Shinigami, if they impede the affairs of their Squad, or are of any concern, we examine, arrest, and place the person in question under observation."

And yet again on page 11, "Was I not clear? These people have done nothing wrong. These people, by the regulations of Seireitei have been deemed to posess a 'risk factor.' They have not comitted any crimes YET, so we cannot judge them. Yet we cannot let them roam free because they MIGHT be dangerous. So we imprison them here."

Would you not do the same if someone had a gun and through their thoughts and actions, you thought they would use it on you or other innocent people? While I agree that locking them up because they might be dangerous may seem a little harsh, my opinion has not been swayed. The inmates weren't locked up in a "cell", they weren't shackled, handcuffed, or anything like that. They seemed free to do what they wanted within the confines of the Maggot's Nest excluding Kurotsuchi.

Schabrak
June 28, 2008, 11:26 AM
When you are in prison you are not handcuffed the whole time too, but you are inprisoned. Don't you understand that? Yours personal freedom is gone for 99%. Well you might be a dange too, so we should start to monitor your 24/7 too. That is pretty the same. To take someones freedom for an asumption is one of the greatest crimes. *guantanamo cough cough*