PDA

View Full Version : Review Absolutio's One Piece Chapter 504 Review

Absolutio
June 21, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, another week has passed and our favorite treat of the weekend is upon us – a new chapter of One Piece! (504, to be exact ;) ).
This chapter really pumped me up, since it has so many events and valuable information, thus I just HAD to make this review. Hope you like it!
This chapter’s pages are taken from Basement Scans which make really good combination of speed and quality, and became quite the monopoly for One Piece’s first scanlation of the weekend.
Well, lets stop babbling about and get started!

P.S: This review appears to be my longest review thus far (my 2nd one too :p), so better get yourself a nice spot on your chair before you start reading. :D
-Absolutio.

Chilling Out Part 2
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9523/01ym0.jpg
I don’t know how much good will Caffeine do to our Chapapa friend

Well, we start of this chapter with the covers side-story that took us to exactly where we stopped two weeks ago (last week was the double spread).
Not much to say about this. Fukoro and Kaku are drinking Coffee, which I doubt will do any good to Fukoro. He seems hyper enough without it. Jyabuyra has some sort of an ice-cream/milkshake and Blueno reads the newspaper – Probably the events of Ace and Whitebeard are mentioned there.
In addition, it is worth mentioning that it’s still sunny there, and at this weather, this island seems a like very good vacation place.

Run Away As Fast As You Can!
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5914/02ll6.jpg
Cuban Cigars are stylish!

As the news about Luffy harming the Tenryuubito spread across the Archipelago, the other Supernovas are quick to react – mostly by running away.
We start with Capone asking his crew about his Ship’s coating, and after finding out that it’s already done he orders them to set sail immediately to Fishman Island, before any admiral arrives.
Although many of the Supernovas didn’t actually officially announce that they are elegantly running to Fishman Island, we can assume that Bonney (Whoa, she has a piercing beneath her right eye!), Urouge and Appoo are.
The only two who make it seems like they’re staying (or at least for the moment) are Drake – who told his crewmates to prepare for selling and wait, since he wants to see who’s coming, and Hawkins, who foretells that it will be okay for him and his crew.

Marine Headquarters
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6238/04ce1.jpg
What a headache those pirates are!

We are now at the Holy Land – Mariejoa, as we see Sengoku getting informed of the current situation in the Archipelago. Sengoku is getting tired of the StrawHats late stunts, as they just bring the Marines troubles, one after the another – From Enies Lobby to Gecko Moria, and now with the Tenryuubito – all in such a short amount of time. Poor Maine Headquarters guys must be working very hard lately!
Anyways, we do get an important piece of information from the Marine officer who reports to Sengoku – The Marines do turn the blind eye to the Public Employment Security Office, umm, I mean the Human Slave Shop. This is very concerning since we see firsthand how corrupt and hypocrite the Marines and the World Government are. Other than that, the officer gives quite the correct information about the situation in the auction house – Luffy and his crew are the main offenders, there are also Kidd and Law and parts of the crews there too. A total of 13 bounty heads are present in the auction house. If we count the obvious ones there are Luffy and his known bountied crew (Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Robin, Franky, Ussop, Nami and Chopper.). Brook is probably an unkown bounty head at the moment, and Ussop = Sogeking recognization is doubtable, but I’ll assume that they did recognize him.
Other than the 8 StrawHats we also have Kidd, Killer and Law as the known bounty heads. So that makes them a total of 11 bounty heads, so my guesses about the two other bounty heads are both Law’s bear partner and the weird looking guy-with-stitches that can be seen later on in this chapter.
The only important information that the officer didn’t report of is Rayleigh’s presence in the scene, which is quite the valuable information, because of Rayleigh did not want to “keep it low”, it would’ve been a big miscalculation in their plans, as they only assume to be resisted by Luffy, Kidd and Law.

Kizaru the Yellow Monkey!
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8427/05nf3.jpg
Notice the red circles

Apparently, Admiral Kizaru was in the room this whole time (you can see him in the red circle). In addition, a sheep was there also this whole time (you can also see it in the red circle).
As many speculated, Kizaru is sent (willingly – he suggested it) to deal with the situation. The Archipelago is near the Headquarters, so his arrival shouldn’t take too long and we will soon be exposed to another admiral.
On a side-note, many people predicted the shadowed figure on the roof with the bounty posters to be an Admiral – specifically Kizaru. I disagreed with that, and now it is clearer than ever that this shadowed figure was a bounty hunter, and probably a strong one too.
Getting back to Kizaru, to me he seems very sure of his abilities, as he nonchalantly announces that it won’t take long, although we’re talking here about 3 very strong rookie pirate captains, while 2 of them are 300m+ bountied. I assume that his self assurance of his abilities is based and firm. Although the rookies are outstanding at their abilities and the amount of time it took them to get so high with their level, the admirals are still on a whole different scale that the StrawHats and the other Supernovas still can’t compete with.

A Desperate Call for Help
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/871/06tl6.jpg
Apperently, many people were right while I was wrong..

As the scene goes to Mr. Disco, we see a zoom-in on the Smiley insignia, and not for no reason. Apparently the auction house’s smileys and Don Flamingo’s are connected – The auction house is actually owned by Flamingo, and that’s why Disco is calling him for help. Disco is desperately trying to get Flamingo’s help while he explains him the situation and the reasonable help the Flamingo should supply. Flamingo, on the other hand, tells Disco that “Orange is the new Black” as he announces that the slave trade is yesterday’s new. He tells him that he doesn’t care about the shop, more or less, and announces the arrival of the New Era, that will most likely be set after the following events…

Going All Out!
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4867/07jk0.jpg
Don Don Don!!!

Back to the world’s news – The World Government has called together one of their strongest forces - The Royal Shichibukai. It seems like almost all the pieces have started to move. The Marines are gathering their strongest forces for the battle, also the World Government has called the Shichibukai, and the only missing factor we don't know of yet is the pirate factor - will Whitebeard come alone or will some pirates join him (if he even lets them). The big incident that Ace's fight against Blackbeard will/has triggered is coming upon us, and it's gonna be in a global scale. Whatever the results will be, it will shake the foundations of the One Piece world.
Just for a short sum of the 7 Shichibukais: Kuma, Moria (he's still functioning), Hawkeye, Don Flamingo, Blackbeard, Jimbei and an unkown Shichibukai.
In those upcoming world events we will probably be exposed to the last unintroduced Shichibukai and Jimbei (who we only know is a fishman) as well. There is much to look forward to!

Siege

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/949/08bm2.jpg
Why is the Tenryuubito's slave-pet-thingie is still there?

Outside the auction house we see the marines getting ready and prepering the siege over the pirates. Law said last chapter that they were there from the start, and now I wonder why. It's either that they're there to secure the Tenryuubito (unlikely). Either they're there with Garp to get ahold of Rayleigh (also seems unlikely, since Garp said he will take care of that alone), so the only last option is that they just happend to be there. Oh well...
Anyways, the marine in charge there have gotten the news of Kizaru's arrival, and moreover, that Kizaru is bringing with him some special "troops".
My guess is that those troops are a bunch of Vegapunk's Pacifistas, just like Kuma (but weaker). This will explain why they're called "troops" by the officer.

Inside the Auction House
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/6453/09mk1.jpg
Lightning-fast reflexes!

Back to the Auction House we see Rayleigh takes Caimie’s collar and cuffs off just a second before they explode, with his bare hands. Even Luffy or Zoro doesn’t have this monstrous strength to just take it off like that, and I think that this stunt is also somehow connected to this spirit thing (“Haki” as Hacchi calls it). Franky comes only a moment later with the keys but finds out that he was too late, but that’s ok, he gives the keys to the happy slaves who can now be free once more. The StrawHats seem rather confused over this mysterious character and his legendary powers, and even start guessing that he’s a fruit user. Few panels later, we do realize the true nature of Rayleigh’s spirit release from last chapter – when he talks to Kidd and Law’s crews he tells them that they’re probably not mere amateurs if they could take his (probably very weak) spirit release hit and still stand (we do see that someone from Law’s crew nearly fainted though). Kidd and Law seem to recognize Rayliegh as the last pirate king’s first-mate (unlike some certain other supernova we know) and Rayliegh quickly tells them to keep quite about it, as he wants to keep his current peaceful life.
After that we see Rayleigh leaning towards Hacchi, greatly concerned about his slimy friend. We see that they are very close and it makes me wonder from where Hacchi knows Rayleigh in the first place.
After thanking the StrawHats, Rayleigh tells Luffy that he will talk to him after they break free from the siege, while the Marines are babbling there regular threats from the megaphone den-den-mushies.

Captains’ Pride!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/5388/15ub2.jpg
Luffy somehow seems unstylish with his simple clothes :p

After realizing that the marines see them as accomplices to the crime, Kidd and Law decide that the time to go is now, but not before Kidd gives us a delicious comment about Luffy, about him being just as crazy as the rumors say he is, and that’s worth getting into trouble with those marines, though not with an Admiral. But as a farewell present, he will take care of the small fish out there, so Luffy and Law shouldn’t worry “their little selves”. Of course, being the pirate captains they are, they take this as an insult and want to take care of this themselves, so as a result, we see all 3 of them get into action.
Of course that the StrawHats (or at least the fighting-lovers of them) starts to get out of the auction house to join the fun, while they settle with Rayleigh to meet with him at Grove 13. The giant says that he will take care of all the other freed slaves and thanks Rayleigh and the StrawHats for setting him and the other slaves free.

Three Fruit Users!
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9107/17bxw8.jpg
I wonder how come the Marines never know beforehand that their enemies are immune to their cannons

Well, the Marines start their mortar attack, just to find out that it was futile, since all three of the pirate captains are Devil Fruit users.
I’ll dedicate the next sections to analyze both Kidd and Law’s Devil Fruit powers.

Kidd
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8372/17kh4.jpg

As the canon ball flies towards Kidd, we see him stretching his hand towards the canon ball, doing his thing (using his powers) and just sending it back towards his attackers at the middle of the canon ball’s flight, while shouting “Repel”.
Well, the first association we have with the word “Repel” is Kuma’s Devil Fruit power – the Paw Paw fruit, that has the power to repel anything. But there is a very big difference between the two – while Kuma’s Devil Fruit requires him to touch the object he wishes to repel with his “paws” (physical contact), Kidd repels the canon ball without touching it, at the middle of its flight towards him. So I have two assumptions of Kidd’s Devil Fruit power true nature:
1. Kidd’s Devil Fruit power gives him the power to control objects at his will (like Telekinesis or something of that sort).
2. Kidd’s Devil Fruit power gives him some sort of magnetic powers (canon balls are made from iron).
Both can explain how he repelled the canon ball without touching it, and both powers, when use correctly, can be very powerful.

Law
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4351/18fh1.jpg

Now Law’s Devil Fruit power is much more weird/mysterious/exotic/choose-your-description-here than Kidd’s.
I’ll separate Law’s power to 4 stages:
1. Law makes a “Room” – he makes some sort of a circle (in this specific case, might be in other shapes as well) that separates him and everyone in the circle from outside of it in some sort (might be even physically). Anybody who’s in Law’s circle is a possible victim to Law’s powers, and vice versa, Law’s powers can probably only work inside the Room he makes.
2. Law “slashes” using his sword (that apparently his bear crew-mate holds for him) his opponent. Why did I say “slashes” and not slashes? Since you can’t see any cut marks or blood, and he did it from very far, without any seen flying slashes. I connect this ability to the Room environment and as part of Law’s power. Anyways, he slashes some marine and separates his head from the rest of his body.
3. Law now swaps two objects inside his room – The canon ball and the marine officer’s head, while he calls “Shambles”.
-Shambles (Babylon) - disorder, mess; disastrous state or condition; slaughterhouse, place where animals are butchered for meat; place of carnage
4. Now, I’m not too sure about this stage, because it might be merged with 3 or not all true, but from what I see of it, Law releases his Room and then the real world laws start working on the objects (more or less) and the cannon ball explodes.

I don’t exactly have any idea how to explain this bizarre power but I assume that he gained his “Witch/Dark Doctor” nickname from his ability to “cut” people and swap the cut places with other objects.

Summery

Whoa, that was a long one. As I said, so many events and valuable information in one chapter, making it a real treasured chapter (like most of the latest chapters :p). Every chapter now just makes me more pumped up and excited. This saga foreshows a real greatness, and I just can’t wait for the next chapters!
Anyways, hope you enjoyed reading the review.
See you next week,
-Absolutio.
=D

Organizized
June 21, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have to say, since I didn't comment on your 502 review, very nice reviews! They bring up alot of things I really didn't think of when reading through the chapters and also sum up basically everything (that is, it has what a good review should have).

Nice sum-up of Law and Kidd's abilities, though I feel kind of dumb to admit I hadn't considered Kidd's ability having to do with magnetism, that makes alot of sense.

About the bounty heads, though.. I don't think it's safe to consider they identified Usopp as Sogeking, though I see why you did it. Also, as someone mentioned in this chapter's discussion thread, Chopper is currently in his human form and his bounty shows him in his "tanuki form", so there's also a chance that they haven't been able to identify him. That opens up another spot for a bounty head in Law or Kidd's crew. I myself would hope for the badass looking guy in the "penguin"-cap. :D

Keep handing us those reviews because in my opinion, you deserve to be a reviewer (when the user group comes around)! :)

Raysen_ht
June 22, 2008, 10:42 AM
Good job man!! Not Shahu´s level yet, but preety damn close!!

The shishi x WB will be awesome, do u think well get to see the fight, or just the results??

I think that Kisaru will get there in the end of next chapter and leave us wondering what will happen! I really like ur Pacifistas idea, that would fit well

I dont think Sengoku (Songoku DBZ...hehehe) is really complitelly awere of the nature of the Human shop... i think Doflamingo lied to him, and forced others to do the same. (I know its unlikely, but I like Sengoku)

I agree with ur analises of the DF powers off kidd and Law
I think Law´s ability should be called "perfect fit" for his manipulative kind off caracter (also weird/mysterious/exotic hehehe)

good job

Absolutio
June 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
Nice sum-up of Law and Kidd's abilities, though I feel kind of dumb to admit I hadn't considered Kidd's ability having to do with magnetism, that makes alot of sense.
-Well, it's still only an hypothesis though, so no need to feel dumb or anything... :p But I like the idea of magnetic powers over Telekinesis.

About the bounty heads, though.. I don't think it's safe to consider they identified Usopp as Sogeking, though I see why you did it.
-After Kuma indentified Ussop as Sogeking after only one glance (which just makes Luffy and Chopper even more naive in prepective than earlier) I think it is safe to assume that Ussop is counted as one of the bounty heads.

Also, as someone mentioned in this chapter's discussion thread, Chopper is currently in his human form and his bounty shows him in his "tanuki form", so there's also a chance that they haven't been able to identify him. That opens up another spot for a bounty head in Law or Kidd's crew. I myself would hope for the badass looking guy in the "penguin"-cap. :D
-This is a very solid fact that I kind of missed and might be proven true. :p But I like to think that all of the strawhats but Brook were identified.

Keep handing us those reviews because in my opinion, you deserve to be a reviewer (when the user group comes around)! :)
That's the current goal (with keeping up the reviews). Thank you :D

-I'll take that as a praise.. :s

The shishi x WB will be awesome, do u think well get to see the fight, or just the results??
A fight is a neccesity in some sorts. I don't know if we'll get the very HUGE full-scale battle, because this is gonna be a very big battle royal that involves many many forces and many many unique strong characters withing them (All the Shichibukais, Marines' top-branch, WB and his div. leaders), so you can see the problem with having so much to deal with. It could take a few years just to finish this whole grand-scale battle if Oda draws every bit of it, so I assume that it will be a short sum with hot fights in it, more or less.

I dont think Sengoku (Songoku DBZ...hehehe) is really complitelly awere of the nature of the Human shop... i think Doflamingo lied to him, and forced others to do the same. (I know its unlikely, but I like Sengoku)
-I found it highly unprobable.. It seems that the Marines simply turned the blind eye towards the Human Shop. It's not an unkown fact that the WG is (at least) partly evil.

I agree with ur analises of the DF powers off kidd and Law
I think Law´s ability should be called "perfect fit" for his manipulative kind off caracter (also weird/mysterious/exotic hehehe)
Law's power is just the most unique we've ever seen in One Piece. I doubt that my current analysis is even half of what it's capable of, or what it truely is. But for the moment, it does seem to make a lot of sense from what we've seen. :p

good job
-Thank you. I try.. :p

Raysen_ht
June 22, 2008, 04:40 PM
@Absolutio
-I'll take that as a praise..

U really should!! I meant it as a compliment! Shahu´s reviews are the best imo, but urs is running a preety close second

A fight is a neccesity in some sorts. I don't know if we'll get the very HUGE full-scale battle, because this is gonna be a very big battle royal that involves many many forces and many many unique strong characters withing them (All the Shichibukais, Marines' top-branch, WB and his div. leaders), so you can see the problem with having so much to deal with. It could take a few years just to finish this whole grand-scale battle if Oda draws every bit of it, so I assume that it will be a short sum with hot fights in it, more or less.

Yes i see what u mean, but thats a huge disapointment for me.. i wanted the whole fight

About Sengoku, i was talking about him especifically, and only on the matter of the human shop... I dont think Sengoku is partly evil, i think he is the good caracter kind of man ( i could be wrong though)

Thanks for the time u put into making OP a better expirience for us fans

Absolutio
June 22, 2008, 04:47 PM
Not every marine is evil as a person, but the marines (led by the WG) are at least partly evil as an organization. Of course there are good marines - Ao Kiji, Garp, and possibly even Sengoku. Heck, even Smoker is a "good" marine. But the WG organization has many dark secrets and evil deeds that he does in the presence and done in the past, and will probably do in the future. :p

Thank you for your lovely comments. I know how much fun I had and still have reading OP reviews (specially Sahu which I hold great respect for and just didn't have the time yet to give him a proper reply to his review. Will probably do it tomorrow) and it really makes me happy knowing that I make other people happy. :D Ever since I got hooked up into this forums I always looked for a way to help this awesome community, and this might be one of the best ways for me to contribute. :p

bittman
June 22, 2008, 10:23 PM
Good to see you didn't quit reviewing after one week ^_~

A few things on the review, but not the comments you made since I might not want to give out all my ideas before I make a review (which I'll probably do next week....waaaay too busy this week):
1) Picture size. Especially if you're going a full page, might as well link to onemanga or something. Else make Paint your friend.
2) Your summary doesn't really give a summary but instead an "in closing" statement. Summary should look at the chapter in a whole and put out your main points. In most reviews, when I'm pushed for time, I skip to the summary to see what the reviewer found most interesting, but this was missing here.
3) Predictions (or lackthereof): A section dedicated to this would be nice. From experience, it feels good when you get things right and if you get it wrong, you're just like the rest of us who read OP.

You don't have to take any of this on board, just food for thought. As long as you keep reviewing as well I'll be happy.

Absolutio
June 24, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the building feedback. I'll make sure I'll take those advices into account next review. But just for your notice.. I use photoshop.. :p And I do resize them, and there is only 1 half page in this review if I'm not mistaken, but I'll make sure to make it even smaller next one. :D