PDA

View Full Version : Ussop's strength

gao_dargon
June 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
As far as i was consernd, Ussop was a weakling, i thought he only got better wepons and no strenght at all, even more if you had asked me a week ago if he was able to beat Kuro, i would have said a firmly NO, but now, now that has changed, since we saw that he was able to witstand a full display of "spirit" and not budge i think that speaks very well of him, so what do you think? he is strong? or even Kuro can take a spirit release? maby a plot hole plot hole devil fruit???

Absolutio
June 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
To take a spirit burst, more than physical strength you need an inner strength, and when it comes to Ussop, if he's serious, he has a strong will just like Luffy's, and he has proven his will strength many times. I would've been more surprised if he did "budge" from the spirit release than what truely happend - he didn't even notice it.

kkck
June 21, 2008, 04:08 PM
I agree, there is more to resisting spirit than just physical strenght, there is willpower and mental strenght involved.
I still dont think that ussop is able to beat kuro though. kuro proved to be incredibly resiliant in his battle againts luffy. For ussop to beat juro, ussop would have to hit him with one of his shots or at the very least trick him like he did with perona. I believe kuro is fast enough to evade all of ussop's shots and smart enough to not be trick by ussop's cheap tricks.
Oh, and I do think kuro can take spirit like ussop or nami did.

JC123
June 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
I've always liked Ussop's battles. He really fought with everything when protecting the Going Merry.

When he and Chopper were against the No. 4 team, he even took a 4- ton bat attack to the face and still survived!

"5-Ton Hammer!"

"Wooo, Awesome!"

Usopps may not have the crazy strength of the others, but his ingenuity and willpower are as high as Luffy's.

I guess everyone can tell my fave SH... >_>

Raysen_ht
June 22, 2008, 10:57 AM
I agree that there is more to resisting Haki than Phisical strenght, but i´m preety sure Kuro couldn´t take it

I think Usopp will only be trully strong after he deals with a tragedy, like the other SH. Maybe his father will be killed by someone, or maybe something will happen to Karin (his fried who gave The Going Merry to the SH)

Absolutio
June 22, 2008, 04:19 PM
Ussop's mother died when he was a kid from an ilness. It's part of the reason why he turned out to be a liar, coz he wanted to make her happy by telling her that his father (her husband) has returned.
I think that's more or less a tragedy..

Raysen_ht
June 22, 2008, 04:49 PM
really i didnt remember that..... well that certanly is a tragedy...
I guess he will be a weackling for a veeeery long time

sharingan_kakashi
June 22, 2008, 08:21 PM
By the time they get to Elbaf Ussop will be a formidable crewmate. (if they would even go there)
He did show some nice insticts and quick thinking agianst Perona and noone else would have defeated her ghosts. So there is still hope.

gao_dargon
June 22, 2008, 08:22 PM
really i didnt remember that..... well that certanly is a tragedy...
I guess he will be a weackling for a veeeery long timehahahaha lol at that

After the "spirit" thing, i think its not that he is a weakilg, its just that he is a coward, i mean, even one of Trafalgar guys went dizzy after the attack and Ussop dint even noticed it, i think he could beat really strong oponents if he set his mind to it, remeber the fight with Luffy? that WAS his true potential at the time, many things happend since then, i guess he can beat even arlong by now, but he has to grow some balls like his old man to do so

bittman
June 22, 2008, 10:39 PM
You should also note that Oda, in one of his SBS thing-os, noted that Usopp is always to be as strong as a normal human.

"According to Oda in a discussion with Tanaka Mayumi, Luffy's Voice Actress, regardless who joins the crew, Usopp will always be the weakest of the Straw Hats since otherwise might upset the balance of the story. Oda also states that this is because Usopp is the closest in strength to a regular human compared to the others and thus this portrayal can be easily related by the reader's own strength." - from http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Usopp

ZeroChrome
June 23, 2008, 07:56 AM
yeah. Usopp as a normal human makes the crew has a variety type of people in it. and that what's cool with SH. Besides, the term "strong" itself is subjective. Usopp probably weak in term of strength, but strong in others. In what term, I leave it to everybody to decide for themselves :XD as for me, one point is of course, he's the sharpshooter of the crew. No one is familiar with weapons other than him. And he's also just like Luffy, cares for his nakama and willing to do anything for them. For me, that can be considered as strong. so basically the crew balance each other out with their strength and weakness, that's why they are able to withstand the spirit burst

hot_chips
June 23, 2008, 08:05 AM
yeah. Usopp as a normal human makes the crew has a variety type of people in it. and that what's cool with SH. Besides, the term "strong" itself is subjective. Usopp probably weak in term of strength, but strong in others. In what term, I leave it to everybody to decide for themselves :XD as for me, one point is of course, he's the sharpshooter of the crew. No one is familiar with weapons other than him. And he's also just like Luffy, cares for his nakama and willing to do anything for them. For me, that can be considered as strong. so basically the crew balance each other out with their strength and weakness, that's why they are able to withstand the spirit burst
Usopp is like Shikamaru from Naruto.
They all have their uses :D

Raysen_ht
June 23, 2008, 10:11 AM
I guess his strenght is his creativity, he´s not as smart as Shikimaru, not even close, but he does have some unexpected ideas...
Also he is the only long range atacker of the SH (Sanji and Chopper are short range. Luffi, Franky, Zoro and Brooke are short/middle. Robin and nami are middle range), so i guess he is necessary (like in EL).
BTW he is preety strong while in the Sunny. He has mad skills with the weapons franky created!!

noonethere
June 23, 2008, 12:11 PM
I always thought Ussop was weak till I saw this (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/186/12/). If the average person is really as tough as Ussop, it would explain the lack of death in the series.:amuse What i am interested is how Oda is going to make Ussop a great warrier of the sea since till now snipers haven't played a significant part in the story. Also his sniper skills are already quite good, so will he learn new techniques(including the use of haki) or will he simply improve his weapon all throughout the story?

bittman
June 23, 2008, 07:28 PM
Probably the latter: increase the power of his weapon, but also the range of weapons he uses. As shown against Luffy, awesome slingshot attacks aren't all he has but also caltrops, a large range of dials, etc. If any of the SH ever acquire seastone, I expect Usopp to be the user of it. His strength will remain largely unchanged (he will NEVER swing a hammer around heavier than 10kg), but his skill in regards to speed and accuracy will most likely evolve. (especially if he is going to fight the BB sharpshooter or his father one day)

AtaluS
June 24, 2008, 07:06 AM
i think u all are wrong... it's most probabily that rayleigh didn't shot SH crew on purpose..since either caimie (who was just beside him) and pappag weren't affected (i could also include the octopus) and they surely haven't a strong will.. even when he was in cage he choosed his target (disco)..so don't compare usop to luffy's will please.. ;-)

kkck
June 24, 2008, 11:39 AM
^ True, Silver showed us that he could indeed control his spirit enough to aim it at a particular target, so maybe he can do a much wider "general' aim and avoid certain people when releasing masive amounts of energy.

Mr.Popo
June 24, 2008, 12:12 PM
i think u all are wrong... it's most probabily that rayleigh didn't shot SH crew on purpose..since either caimie (who was just beside him) and pappag weren't affected (i could also include the octopus) and they surely haven't a strong will.. even when he was in cage he choosed his target (disco)..so don't compare usop to luffy's will please.. ;-)
I agree with you - mostly.
But i think we can compare Ussup's to Luffy's will perfectly.
I belief the will of all SHs is nearly equal. The fight Ussup against Mr.4 mentioned earlier is a good example.
Their will and confidence are the main things they all have in common.

gao_dargon
June 24, 2008, 01:38 PM

actually, that can be a lil plothole, since he said he just shoot, not taking notice of who was there (he didnt say it like that, but he said "oh since you are still standing that means you are no amateurs" meaning he shoot to everyone in the room)

Raysen_ht
June 24, 2008, 02:11 PM
actually, that can be a lil plothole, since he said he just shoot, not taking notice of who was there (he didnt say it like that, but he said "oh since you are still standing that means you are no amateurs" meaning he shoot to everyone in the room)

Actually no.... he said that, while looking to kidd´s and Law´s crew...
its possible that he only didnt targeted the SH because they were the ones closer to hacchi, and because he seemed to know that they were the ones who saved the fishman (he even thanked them for that). Thats possible, but i dont like it, imo he only didnt targeted hacchi and the other slaves (Caime included as one of them)

Ussop probably was able to take the Haki, he is getting stronger, no doubt about that, but not as fast as the others, so the gap beetween them is growing

Organizized
June 24, 2008, 03:06 PM
Actually no.... he said that, while looking to kidd´s and Law´s crew...
its possible that he only didnt targeted the SH because they were the ones closer to hacchi, and because he seemed to know that they were the ones who saved the fishman (he even thanked them for that).

This is most likely imo. He might even have known who were in Luffy's crew and who weren't from the newspapers, but most likely he just skipped the people close to Hachi, which means he aimed the haki at everyone except the slaves, pappag, Hacchi and the Straw Hat crew.

Not that I don't think Usopp could take the Haki.

Oblivion
June 25, 2008, 03:26 AM
Lysop's most awesome moment and proving that just how good he can be at times

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/419/16-17/

now he's going to be one great sharpshooter

Umbra Wolf
June 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Completly right.
One of Trafalgar's men even feels the effect of the Haki blast and nearly blacked put.
Look (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/504/12/)

gao_dargon
June 28, 2008, 11:09 PM
^ that was exaclty what i was talking about but i couldnt say it like that cuz of the one week rule, but that was my point