PDA

View Full Version : sahugani's One Piece Review 505-506

sahugani
July 04, 2008, 04:46 PM
Sahugani’s One Piece Review 505-506

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/1070/luckyhandbywasudoqj8.jpg (http://wasudo.deviantart.com/art/One-Piece-Lucky-Hand-90197481)
Remember kids, gambling is good for you

Well first things first. To all my fellow Americans, I’d like to wish you a happy Fourth of July and hope you all get to enjoy spectacular fireworks tonight. As for why I didn’t review last week, I think you would all agree with me that Disneyland takes priority over all else and is explanation enough. I’m also finishing up a few projects and responsibilities that came up along with the start of summer, so bit by bit I should be getting more active here again. I also have some sad news. it seems my favorite AMV maker, JuniZorofan (http://youtube.com/user/JuniZorofan) has decided to stop making AMVs. She created a final AMV as a thank you to her viewers and fellow Longnose members and though it is not a strictly One Piece video, it still deserves to be posted here. Here it is, Juni’s Last AMV (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wz_vNjK6nM4). The pics in this review come from Binktopia scanlations and the title pic is a piece by Wasudo (http://wasudo.deviantart.com/) over at DeviantArt, so stop by his gallery later.

New Dawn

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/993/1alh0.pnghttp://img377.imageshack.us/img377/916/1bij9.png
Lucci looks a lot less like an evil prick now

Like before, I’ll deal with both installments of the cover arc in one section. First of all, Lucci has finally woken up. He seems a bit lost in thought though given the situation, this is not at all surprising. His last memory is being beaten to a pulp and humiliated by Luffy and now he has awoken in a strange bed with all his wounds treated. Even just being in the hospital must be a bit surreal since his rokushiki abilities have for so long prevented him from actually bearing injuries let alone any wounds that would require medical attention. He is now faced with some serious choices. Though he had been a hardened killer for so long and even took delight in the job, he can no longer return to that but in exchange, has been offered the chance for a peaceful life.

From the looks of it, Lucci has decided to embrace the peaceful life that was made possible by his fellow CP9’s deeds. Until now, Lucci was the type of person who wouldn’t see them as friends but merely as inferior coworkers. He would have brushed off any good deeds or favors they had done for them and would have killed them without hesitation if given a reason to do so. However, Luffy’s beating has given him some humility and he can accept and appreciate their help. Basically, it reminded him that he is a human and not just a living weapon of death. As he thanks the doctors who treated his wounds, he prepares to head out with the CP9, who can now be called his nakama.
[hr]

505: Kuma

No Sweat

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3526/2aki8.png
In A.D. 2101 war was beginning...

After dealing their first blows at the end of the previous chapter, the three pirate captains have an opportunity to comment on each others’ unique abilities. Though Luffy rightly thinks that the other two have somewhat odd abilities, Kidd comments that Luffy’s is the weirdest. From the looks of it, I wasn’t that far off when I made my analyses of Law and Kidd’s abilities a couple weeks ago. I’ll give a bit of an overview of my previous analyses though tweaked a little to match what we know now.

With Law, his ability is the power of rearrangement in a defined space. After creating a circle of influence that he calls a “room,” he can freely exchange any two objects within that space. It is revealed in this chapter that he doesn’t even need to cut opponents before exchanging body parts though and he can exchange parts of the body directly so that they remain attached to the object replacing it. It is also revealed by the severed head feeling the burns of his bombed body that there is still a link between the severed parts. The basic gist of Law’s ability is that it gives him the ability to rearrange space without disturbing natural relationships. With this ability, severing bodies is not fatal within his “room” since all it does is separate the body into two or more pieces that are otherwise undamaged and are simply separated by space. Since Law’s ability allows natural processes to remain between separated parts, having two body parts separated by space is treated as if the body was still whole. Other types of damage such as a bomb blast are damaging within the “room” since it damages the flesh though. One aspect we have yet to see is what happens once the “room” is dissipated by Law. Since the affected soldiers clearly maintain feeling in their separated limbs, it is more than likely that they are returned to normal after the effect is cancelled though they maintain any damage not due to detached body parts.

As for Kidd, I was on the right track with my previous analysis of “attraction and repulsion” and even made reference to his real power in trying to explain myself. The truth of his ability is magnetism. He has the power to attract and repel metallic objects, though he uses this power quite differently from the famous X-men villain, Magneto. As we saw in the previous chapter, he uses his metallic repulsion to send a cannonball right back at the marines. In this chapter though, he uses his power of attracting metal to collect the guns and swords of all the marines along with gears and chains from the immediate area and fashions this collection into an enormous claw. This ability’s potential is enormous. First of all, this means anyone but devil fruit users, fist fighters, and users of non-metal weapons cannot damage him due to his metallic repulsion. Offensively, his creation of the metal claw allows him to freely use a form similar to Luffy’s gear 3. Though this is far inferior to Luffy in terms of the force behind the attack, the weight of the metal mass is still enough to make an immensely superhuman blow and its other properties can make up for the gap in power. It is a claw and has numerous metal edges such as swords in its composition, so it has ripping and tearing power that Gear 3 lacks. The greatest trait though is that he can increase the size and weight of this arm as long as there is more metal to obtain.

Captains’ Pledge

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/961/3adh0.png
more Law and Kidd later on is a VERY good thing

As the three pirate crews emerge from the auction house, they find that their captains have already caused a record amount of destruction for such a small time frame. The Strawhats are shocked to see that the two men standing next to Luffy are equally capable of creating such chaos. Law and Kidd’s crews are less surprised though since it is more than likely that their captains create this kind of havoc much more often and with less reason to do so than Luffy. Kidd in particular is known for merciless slaughter, so it is nothing new for his crew to see this scene on a regular basis. Anyways, as the marines reform their ranks in order to buy time till the arrival of Kizaru, the three captains and their crews prepare for round two. Kidd announces to Luffy that fighting the marines isn’t entertaining enough anymore and so he is going to head out before Kizaru’s arrival. He is clearly impressed by what he has seen from the Strawhat captain and acknowledges his fellow pirate’s skill while announcing that next time, they will be fighting as rivals and enemies. To that, Luffy replies that he will be the one to find One Piece. Upon hearing this, Kidd becomes totally fixated on Luffy and ignores a marine that Killer ends up stopping for him. Kidd remarks that up until now, he has instantly killed any idiot who claimed to be his equal or superior. Any pirate who claimed that they were going to find One Piece was regarded as an enemy that underestimated Kidd’s strength. When Luffy says this though, it takes on a completely different meaning for him. In addition to their bounties being so close, Kidd has witnessed firsthand both the fighting strength and insane courage of the Strawhat captain. He is impressed enough to consider Luffy a true rival. When a man such as this makes the claim, it is not a case of laughing at his dream but it is rather a challenge between equals. He tells Luffy that in the trip through the New World, this kind of statement can’t be ignored as anyone crazy enough to make such a claim has proven that they have the strength to back it up.

Strength of Seconds

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/9297/4avo3.png
beware of bear fu!!!

As the captains decide it is time to head out, the crews of the three powerhouses start to take action to clear a path back to their ships. Killer is the first to act as he cuts through the enemies targeting Kidd. As expected, his gloves do allow his reverse katana blades to spin like saws. His fighting style is also incredibly acrobatic and very fast paced. He doesn’t seem to like standing still while fighting and will use his speed to move around constantly and cut his enemies as he moves by or over them. Also joining Kidd’s defense is the stitched up guy from his crew. This guy most likely has a devil fruit or some special ability as he appears to emit some substance from his mouth that incapacitates the enemy. On Law’s side, the first to join the fray is his crew’s bear, who not only seems to be a powerful martial artist but also can speak. The bear’s name is Bepo and appears to be one of Law’s most trusted men as well as the most fiercely loyal. He certainly also fits the fuzzy theme of the Heart crew. He is clearly not a pet of the crew, which implies that Law is similar to Luffy in more than just being a respected and feared member of the supernovae. Luke Luffy, he has a habit of accepting people into his crew on a whim, but that is a matter I will address more fully later.

Escape Route Found

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6490/5axn4.png
...someone set us up the bomb...

As Sanji fills the role of aiding crewmember on Luffy’s side, he points out that Duval has arrived to provide a means of escape. The Strawhats fight their way over to him but as they do, the marines consider him an ally of the pirates and start to corner him. Although he felt confident enough in his strength to face the Strawhats before, he fears being arrested by the marines. Luckily, Robin manages to incapacitate the marines attacking him. Meanwhile, the other Strawhats clear a path for Franky and Rayleigh, who are carrying Hachi, Caimie, and Pappagg. Rayleigh is clearly having a ball with all the action taking place. As a former pirate, brawls like this are a reminder of the fun of his past. After he and Franky make it out of the fray, Usopp tells Sanji, and Brooke to hurry up. This is not just a matter of getting out quickly but also to avoid being hit by friendly fire. As a final measure to prevent the Marines from following them, Nami uses a thunderbolt tempo to hit them all at once.

Law’s New Recruit

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5538/6adu1.png
this bastard must have been hard to catch

As the Strawhats leave the scene, the marines are shocked to find that in the craziness of the events here, Trafalgar Law has freed Rosward’s beastly slave from his explosive collar. The slave is revealed to be a former pirate captain known as Jean Bart. In thanks for freeing him, Bart gladly accepts Law’s offer of joining the heart crew. As I mentioned before, this implies that Law shares Luffy’s habit of recruiting people on a mere whim though his whims are generally a bit better educated than our favorite rubber pirate. Like the Strawhats, the Heart pirates are a more random assortment of characters than most crews as was clearly evident by Bepo the bear being a high ranking member. In fitting with the fuzzy theme of the crew, I’m more convinced than ever that Bart may be a member of the minkmen race that was on the auction house list. Since he definitely seems quite a bit more feral and animalistic than a normal human, it is a definite possibility. Since the Heart crew has the fuzzy theme, having a demi-human whose race is a cross of man and a feral mammal seems quite fitting. With this new recruit added to Law’s crew roster, they find that they are the only crew still there. Kidd’s crew has already left, but I’ll leave discussion of them to the next chapter.
[hr]

506: Roger and Rayleigh

Trafalgar’s Circus

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8392/7ahy4.png
HULK SMASH!!!!

As I said, Law’s crew is the only one still combating the marines. Together with his apparent second in command, Bepo, and his new recruit, Bart, Trafalgar continues to dominate his opponents. Apparently Bepo is quite sensitive to the uniqueness of his ability to speak, going into depression when people question how he is able to talk. In combat, his style is somewhat odd considering his body structure. Despite his legs being relatively short, he has incredible speed and uses kicks almost exclusively. He keeps his arms outstretched most of the time, most likely for balance and to aid in spinning techniques, many of which are in midair. This is in comparison to Bart’s style, which is that of a direct brawler throwing his immense strength and weight into powerful blows. After the two of them demolish the bridge to stop their pursuers, Bepo takes the opportunity to officially acknowledge Bart’s recruitment into the Heart pirates. He makes a point of saying that as the new guy, Bart is under him in ranking. It is quite possible that Bepo is the first mate. We know from the marine count of bounty heads that there is at least one bounty head under 100 million serving Law. Since Bepo is the member that has been given the most focus, there is a more than decent chance that he is this bounty head. On the other hand, he seems to share a number of character traits with Chopper including being a talking animal and being somewhat sensitive to his uniqueness. There is a chance that he is treated similar to Chopper and is ignored as being a crew pet (though a bear is scarier than a reindeer/tanuki, so the same standards may not apply). One think I’d love to see out of this arc is a bonding moment between these two pirate animals.

Kuma’s Wrath

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/371/8ars4.png
...how are you gentlemen?...

Not long after crossing the bridge, Law’s crew is forced to stop as they come across Kidd and Kuma. Kidd is having trouble in the fight and has equipped both of his arms with the magnet claws. Due to Kidd’s magnet powers, this reveals unique properties of Kuma’s cyborg body or more specifically the metal that he is made of. The metal was already proven to be string enough to withstand Zoro’s shishi sonson and now it appears to be immune from Kidd’s magnetic pull. Upon noticing Law’s presence, Kuma first addresses him by name before firing a blast from his mouth. Bart reasons that being this close to the Marine HQ, it would be unsurprising no matter what World Government dog they came across. It is more than likely that Kuma came across them by random chance. With the war against Whitebeard on the horizon, Sengoku was already hesitant about sending Kizaru away from the front lines to deal with Luffy. There is no way that he’d give the order for a Shichibukai to deal with it as well. Kuma was likely already there and was attracted by the commotion made by the three pirate crews. Though Kidd objects to Law’s interference with the fight, Trafalgar is not willing to back down just yet and once again stands next to Eustass against a new foe. He figures that Kuma will not simply let him go, so he plans to fight his way past Kuma and leave Kidd to keep the Shichibukai busy. Had there not been the admiral to worry about, he may very well have decided to keep fighting simply to irk Kidd. It is safe to say that all three parties will emerge alive after this little match. All three have too much potential for the future of the arc and/or series as a whole. The most likely occurrence is that after Kizaru arrives, Kuma receives an order to return to HQ and prepare for war, thus forcing him to retreat from the current fight.

Tying Up Loose Ends

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/7606/9abf2.png
get an expression that doesn't frighten small children

Leaving the three way match to our imaginations, the story shifts to Duval’s handiwork. After dropping off Sanji at the auction house, it seems he went over to Peterman’s base and punished the group for kidnapping Caimie and initiating all this trouble. To our amusement, Peterman was impressed by how attractive Duval’s face was. While there, Duval also picked up Caimie’s shell backpack, which he delivers to her before taking his leave along with his Rosy Life Riders. Sadly, this may be the last time we see them for a while. Since the Strawhats are now with Rayleigh, they can get their ship coated and can move around on their own. If we do get a giant naval battle, we will likely see Duval’s men join the fray again as a form of sea cavalry, but other than that, we’re more likely to see them next in a cameo appearance in a later cover arc. The Strawhats are dropped off at Grove 13 and they immediately make their way to Shakkie’s place so that Chopper can have a safe place to treat Hachi. As Shakkie answers the door, she is pleasantly surprised to see Rayleigh back so soon but after noticing Hachi she becomes more concerned.

Dark King Revealed

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4525/10ayn9.png
^frightened child

Once everything gets settled down inside, Rayleigh reveals to them that he was the first mate of Roger’s crew, now known officially as the Jolly Roger crew. When Shakkie asks Hachi why he didn’t tell the Strawhats this detail, he basically uses the “they never asked” defense. The only Strawhats not shocked by this fact are Robin, Chopper, Zoro, and Brooke. Chopper is busy treating Hachi, so his mind is a bit preoccupied at the moment. Brooke’s fifty year solitude made him miss the start of the great pirate age, so Roger’s name has less significance to him. Robin on the other hand had already figured out his identity after merely hearing his name and witnessing his power. As for Zoro, he is not the type to be impressed by a person’s name or reputation, so the shock doesn’t get to him. After this, everything adds up for the other Strawhats who had grown up hearing stories of Roger’s crew and recalling the name of the first mate, “Dark King” Silvers Rayleigh. Apparently, he became friends with Hachi when the octopus fishman saved him after he shipwrecked. They remained close friends up until he joined the Sunny Pirate Gang. He is asked if by that name he meant Arlong’s crew but the question is unanswered. This little detail I find very significant due to the connection to the sun tattoo on many fishmen. It is clearly not associated with Arlong’s crew exclusively since Macro also had the tattoo. I also cannot imagine Arlong making his crew’s official name be the Sunny pirates. However, this does confirm my long held belief that the tattoo is a symbol of a pirate crew to which Hachi had belonged before going with Arlong. Since Arlong’s crew branched off from Jimbei’s, I think it is safe to say that the name of the Sunny pirates were Jimbei’s crew and the sun tattoo was their symbol. This also leads me to another idea. It has long been assumed that Jimbei is a whale shark fishman since that is the species his name translates to. However, Oda is not generally that obvious with his foreshadowing. Also, Kuma already basically fills the role of “gentle giant” amongst the Shichibukai, which would be the implied nature of a whale shark fishman. The connection to the sun theme allows us to include the possibility that Jimbei is a sunfish fishman, which would be an extremely interesting choice on Oda’s part and I would prefer it to a whale shark simply for the greater degree of unpredictability it would add to the character.

The Truth of Roger

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/736/11amw2.png
GASP!!!

When asked why he too wasn’t caught like Roger and killed by the government, Rayleigh shocks everyone by revealing that Roger in fact turned himself in. The claim that he was captured was merely a lie by the World Government as a show of force to discourage any other pirates from causing trouble. Four years to the day before he was executed, Roger was diagnosed with an incurable disease. Rather than wait around for the disease to kill him, Roger decided to set out on his final and most epic adventure. The doctor who had diagnosed him is revealed to have been Crocus from the Twin Capes lighthouse. He became the doctor in the Jolly Roger crew and together they set off to finish the impossible task of conquering the Grand Line, which they did after three years. The news that Crocus went with them is of great interest to Brooke. Apparently his goal in traveling with Roger was to locate the Rumba pirates for Laboon so both he and the whale could get some closure. After finding no evidence of them during his journey, he came back to Laboon with the conclusion that they had died or fled the Grand Line. After conquering the Grand Line, the crew was secretly disbanded. Each of them left to go do their own thing and follow their own destiny. A year after this, Roger turned himself in and was executed.

Roger’s Legacy

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/4402/12alg4.png
Roger wins at life

Though the government had arranged the execution as a show of force, the courage with which Roger stood and the weight of his final words completely undermined this intention and created the Pirate Age. Rayleigh did not attend the execution since as Roger’s closest friend, he knew Roger was following a path he had chosen himself. Roger’s last words to him were that he wouldn’t die. Rayleigh had already been long prepared for Roger’s death from the illness, so he was most likely happy that Roger had decided to choose his own method of death rather than let himself passively drift away. In his last words and that smile he held as he died, he kept his word to Rayleigh and though his body had passed, he had not died. He had passed on his will to a new generation of the world. That is at least one way to look at it and is assumed to be the way Roger himself had intended it to be. Rayleigh though cannot fully bring himself to think this way though. He can accept that Roger had passed on his will to the pirates of today, but in his mind, Roger himself is dead. Even though he had prepared for his friend’s death, Rayleigh still took it pretty hard it seems. The reason he can’t fully accept Roger’s view of death is because, like Luffy, Roger was a man whose mind and values were impossible for normal and logical people to understand. The only people who can truly understand and fully accept this type of outlook are the successors of the name of D, the ones who are able to die smiling for a reason no other can comprehend.

Shanks

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/8506/13anh1.png
I demand more Shanks!!!

Rayleigh also mentions that Shanks and Buggy were in the Jolly Roger crew. Nami and Zoro are a bit annoyed by the mere mention of the clown pirate’s name while Luffy is completely fixated on hearing about Shanks. As we know from the conversation Shanks had with Whitebeard, both Shanks and Buggy were present at the execution of Roger and were thus two of the many people inspired to start their own crews and go on their own adventures. Rayleigh mentions that Shanks had come to him about ten years back on Shabondy. At that time, Rayleigh was shocked to see a missing right arm as well as the loss of the straw hat he always wore. Shanks then started to brag about Luffy to his former superior, saying that the little kid had said the same types of things that Roger had said. I’m guessing that next chapter we’ll hear some of the tail end of this conversation about Shanks. There will be some mention of Shanks waiting for Luffy at the top and hopefully in one small frame we get Usopp asking about Yasopp from when Rayleigh met Shanks’s crew.

Making an Entrance

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5094/14age8.png
...ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!

The scene now shifts to Shabondy’s Grove 27, where a seemingly low level pirate has taken notice of a marine ship that has arrived. All of a sudden, the ship fires its cannons, though the real surprise is that Kizaru himself is riding the cannonball. Upon landing, he completely ignores the cannonball explosion and the low class pirates around him and uses his baby den den mushi to call in to HQ and announce his arrival. Oda is still not letting us see him in full, keeping his face darkened to keep his threat as mysterious as possible. He wears a striped suit along with his admiral jacket, which portrays him as being like a wealthy businessman. Unlike Akainu who treats the position as a justification for his screwed up values or Ao Kiji who will undermine his mission in extreme cases for his own justice, Kizaru treats the job somewhat like a business. He is willing to do what is necessary to keep things running smoothly and if he sees an opportunity to make use of his skills to expand the government’s influence, he’ll take it. As for what will happen with him now, the critical thing to keep in mind is that Kizaru and Sengoku were not informed of Rayleigh’s presence. If Kizaru does make his way to the Strawhats, he’ll need to get through Rayleigh first, which means the Strawhats will more than likely get to Fishman Island relatively unscathed and Kizaru will need to follow them there.

Overall

I must say that this has been another great addition to the awesome revelation chapters in One Piece. It has been one of the very few instances where we hear actual facts about Roger’s character rather than stories that merely add to his mystery or chronicle his journey. It was also great to get the little hint toward the meaning of the sun tattoo that we see on various fishmen. On a final note, I must say that I am very pleased with Law and Kidd’s abilities. Now we must patiently wait to see the abilities of Drake and Hawkins.

Tsugomaru
July 04, 2008, 09:40 PM
Regarding the whole Gold Roger sickness detail, have you noticed how that seems to be the most common way pirate captains die? Brooke's captain died of a disease and so did Gold Roger, I can only assume that Luffy will follow down that same path. This will build on several characters like Brooke and Chopper. Brooke has already seen his old captain die because of a disease and to watch another one die would be tough on him and possibly reveal more about his character than we have already seen. For Chopper, it will allow him to follow his dreams to create a cure for anything.

~Tsugomaru

Duddits
July 05, 2008, 05:21 AM
[CENTER]Sahugani’s One Piece Review 505-506

To that, Luffy replies that he will be the one to find One Piece. Upon hearing this, Kidd becomes totally fixated on Luffy and ignores a marine that Killer ends up stopping for him. Kidd remarks that up until now, he has instantly killed any idiot who claimed to be his equal or superior. Any pirate who claimed that they were going to find One Piece was regarded as an enemy that underestimated Kidd’s strength. When Luffy says this though, it takes on a completely different meaning for him. In addition to their bounties being so close, Kidd has witnessed firsthand both the fighting strength and insane courage of the Strawhat captain. He is impressed enough to consider Luffy a true rival. When a man such as this makes the claim, it is not a case of laughing at his dream but it is rather a challenge between equals. He tells Luffy that in the trip through the New World, this kind of statement can’t be ignored as anyone crazy enough to make such a claim has proven that they have the strength to back it up.

Just wanted to point out this is wrong

From stephens translation:

Kidd: You know, Killer...
On the route we took to get here, people LAUGHED at us when we said things like that out loud.
And I killed every single person who dared so much as CHUCKLE in my face!
But up ahead is a place where you die if you DON'T got the guts to man up and say it!!
I'll see you in the New World.

Kidd meant something completely different. Think of in Jaya when everyone mocked the SH's dreams, if that was Kidd he would've killed Bellamy and co from the get go.

Raysen_ht
July 05, 2008, 10:09 AM
Good job Shahu!! missed ur review last week...

the one above already posted 1 of the things i wanted to say so ill let u respond to him...

But i have to disagree with 2 other things...

1) I think that when Law said "we´ll be taking our leave", he meant he and Kidd (and crews of course). I think it was clear that they intend to fight Kuma together, and i cant see the shishibukai allowing one of them to escape, unless he is defeated or summoned somewhere else. Maybe Kisaru is talking to him when he says "awaiting ur response"... (unlikelly but possible)

2) I feel that this incurable desease thing is beneath Oda... its an overwhelming cliche that, for me, stains the perfection that was One piece until now... I wanted Roger to actually be captured (which would speak highly of the powers of the marines/WG), or i wanted an heroic act to save his nakama, or even some kind of "back stabbing" that allowed the marines to get him (maybe from a woman he fell for...). But this "ill die anyway so ill hand myself in and leave a massage for the world" is just CRAP imo, and it makes his smile less special, because it was all part of his plan... there was nothing of the "smile in the face of death thing" that happened with luffi. It wasnt a statement of a life with no regrets!! It was simply part of his plan to "live on" after death... some may say it is beatyfull and great, but i say its AWEFULL and LAME!! There was so much potencial... but it was waysted...
However there is still hope... Reylegh didnt see Roger for a whole year before his execution, so maybe something happened during that time and Reylegh doesnt know. I hope Oda has something up his sleave for that year!

Sorry for the enormous post, I was frustrated, and i wanted ur opinion on the matter

Sarmad
July 05, 2008, 10:42 AM
@Raysen:

Roger smiling before he was executed, has always been a symbol of his will - at least to me. He smiled although he was about to die. "He smiled in the face of death!"
He may or may not have planned the birth of the pirate era, well he at least must've thought about something when he turned himself in, but that's not relevant, because he would be dead right after he said his last words.
roger wouldn't earn anything from it except a befitting death instead of a slow, cruel and mayhap quiet death and would at the same time create a whole new generation of pirates of which some of them might find out the truth about the world history which he must've known about! (as in sacrificing himself for a reason besides dying as a legend)

However i get what you're trying to say here. If Roger had been caught by the WG, it might have shown his enormous Will even more clearly, since he would've never faltered even though he was captured and about to be executed.
But the Version Oda chose is, for me at least again^^, the better one, since it underlines the fact that Roger really was the Pirate King. And he probably had some yet unknown other reason to turn himself in, since i doubt that creating the pirate era was the only one!

@Sahugani:

Great Review Sahugani ^^

It's great that you're so early, especially since we couldn't get to read your review last week XD

The question that i always asked myself during the last chapters was what role Law, Kidd and all the other Supernovae will play in the future or maybe even this arc.
I also have not given up the hope for a pirate alliance (including a naval battle) since a) i wanna see it so bad ^^ and b) the fact that the Strawhats owe the other pirates at least a little protection since they caused the ruckus.
What do you think will happen? ^^
I hope they'll help out Kidd an LAw!

Raysen_ht
July 05, 2008, 11:18 AM
@Sarmad:
I dont think he let himself die so that people could find out about the true history (as in sacrificing himself for a reason besides dying as a legend)... if he wanted that, he could have told everybody before handing himself in... u may say that he wanted only the ones who conquered GL to know the truth, but that would be an even bigger worst cliche...
About the smile, it would only be a "smile in the face of death", if there was a possibility for him to live, i mean he would die anyway, so the smile was because the WG did exactly what he wanted (a big public execution) and allowed him to make his last (planned) statement to the world, in a way no one could forget, thus fulfilling his promise to Reylegh that he would "not die"

@Shahugani:
I forgot to ask u about how do u think Shanks got to Shabondy so fast!?!?! If im not mistaken, 10 years is exactly the amount of time since he left luffi on east blue... So that means he is in the NW for at least 9 years... why do u think no Yonko can get to Raftel, if it only took Roger 3 years to get there (including both halfes of GL)??

sahugani
July 05, 2008, 02:18 PM
@Tsugomaru - it does seem to be a bit of a trend, but i'm not sure we'll see the same type of thing from Luffy. we've already gotten an arc where a Strawhat nearly dies from a disease (Nami in Drum Island). its true that it would be great for development of Brooke and Chopper, but given Luffy's nature, i think an arc where he is incapacitated by anything other than battle would be negative for his development. in saying this though, i must also state that though i say an illness would be bad for Luffy's development in my opinion, it is a very different case than Roger's illness. Roger was diagnosed with a terminal disease that wouldn't kill him for at least 4 years so it wouldn't incapacitate him immediately, but to have an arc of Luffy having an illness would require for story purposes a more fast acting disease to create urgency. that type of thing would both repeat Nami's circumstances and wouldn't be Oda level originality in my opinion

@Duddits - i must say that you are right there in what Kidd meant. i simply focused a bit more on why Kidd said it to Luffy and the significance behind it, which kind of skewed the way i ended up interpreting the lines. Up until this point, both Luffy and Kidd have had to face idiots who underestimated them and their convictions to achieve their dreams. The importance of what Kidd says is that he officially announces that they have finally reached a point where statements such as Luffy's cannot be underestimated anymore.

@Raysen_ht - while i think Law is willing to cooperate with Kidd to a point in order to get through Kuma, I'm doubtful that either captain would be willing to stick their necks out for each other in an actual cooperated effort. if either one finds an opening to escape, they would be more than willing to take it and leave the other one alone with Kuma. that said, i already stated that i doubted the fight would actually reach a conclusion at all and Kuma would end up leaving before taking out either pirate. in this case, even if one is planning to leave when the opportunity arises, there is a good chance that Kuma's exit would happen before then

as for the disease stuff, i think Oda pulled it off quite well. and as you said, there was a gap between Rayleigh's last contact and the execution, so there will always be opportunity to add in more details to make it better. my only slight disappointment regarding the matter is that Oda might have revealed the truth too soon. i don't think we're quite at the right point in the story to take Roger down from legend to human. the mere mystery of the Pirate King made him more than human. the disease twist along with turning himself in does display his enormous will to live and courage to choose his own death, but this turns the mystery of legend into the facts of his human life. I like the twist itself, but i think it should have waited until Luffy was a bit more embedded into the global conflict to give us more familiarity in the main plot with characters who exist both back then and now

as for the timeline issue, we still have been given no timeline by Oda as to how long the Strawhats have been sailing. Roger took 3 years, so even if we believe that the Strawhats are traveling substantially faster for some reason, it has to at the very least be reaching the 1 year mark. after adding that to the timespan and considering that Shanks already has experience sailing the Grand Line to speed up his travels, it works out. as for why the Yonkou haven't found One Piece, i'm relatively sure that One Piece is somehow related to the Will of D, which might be a factor in no one but a D finding it. there is also a chance that the Yonkou, as people connected to Roger, know what it is but know they can't obtain it for some reason, thus resigning themselves to a system of 4 pirate emperors rather than a single pirate king

@Sarmad - you can thank America for me actually getting a Friday release. Hooray for July 4th!!! I'm still in full support of the idea of a pirate alliance as a way to incorporate the supernovae into the latter part of the arc. it seems like the arc will not continue on Shabondy for too much longer and the Strawhats will be headed to Fishman Island where the other supernovae have already headed. once there, i can easily see the Marines using an armada to box the pirates in and siege Fishman Island. Oda has already shown us that the supernovae are pretty decent people and with a bit of convincing, i can easily see most of them agreeing to cooperate. as for Kidd and Law, i've already predicted that their fight with Kuma will end with the big guy leaving soon since the marines are too busy to let an Admiral and a Shichibukai share a side job. at least one of them (I'm guessing Kidd) will have a run in with Kizaru before the story leaves Shabondy. short of Luffy and Zoro, these two are the supernovae with the most interesting personalities and potential for future development (Drake comes in third), so i'm sure we'll see more of them. i see Law as becoming one of the most major characters later in this arc while Kidd i see as the one with the most potential to reappear as a rival in a later arc

Robotic Red
July 05, 2008, 07:59 PM
@Raysen_ht - as for the disease stuff, i think Oda pulled it off quite well. and as you said, there was a gap between Rayleigh's last contact and the execution, so there will always be opportunity to add in more details to make it better. my only slight disappointment regarding the matter is that Oda might have revealed the truth too soon. i don't think we're quite at the right point in the story to take Roger down from legend to human. the mere mystery of the Pirate King made him more than human. the disease twist along with turning himself in does display his enormous will to live and courage to choose his own death, but this turns the mystery of legend into the facts of his human life. I like the twist itself, but i think it should have waited until Luffy was a bit more embedded into the global conflict to give us more familiarity in the main plot with characters who exist both back then and now

I think it's quite simple.

Gol D. Roger smiled in the face of death, knowing that it had been coming. He smiled because he was able to choose the time and place of his death.

This makes Monkey D. Luffy's smile that much grander. His dream was about to be robbed, his life was about to be taken against his will...and yet, despite it all, he accepted it and laughed, knowing that he had lived a good, albeit short life.

THAT already speaks volumes about the comparison between Luffy and Roger.

goldb
July 07, 2008, 05:12 AM
great job sahugani, i was very impressed!!! hope to see you for the next chapter..

Mooncrow
July 08, 2008, 01:50 AM
I think Robotic hit it right on the head; the whole point is that Luffy's smile is greater than Roger's. The whole series has been building to Luffy not just succeeding Roger, but surpassing him in every way.

We only have two concrete examples to base a comparison on so far, Robotic covered the first, the second is Skypiea. Both landed there. Roger made friends with Gan Fall, found the bell and poneglyph, and then sailed away. The Strawhats made friends with Gan Fall, found the bell and poneglyph, fought a battle of epic proportions, ended 400 years of warfare... I could keep going, but I doubt I need to. Which one do you think did the greater deeds?

For non-direct comparisons, just think of the incredible legend Luffy has already built; the first pirate to challenge the might of Enies Lobby, and moreover he suceeded! And then to turn around and challenge the Tennryubito; it's possible others have done this before, but at the very least it's incredibly rare. And lets face it, by the time Luffy claims the title as Pirate King, he will almost certainly be known as the pirate who brought down the World Government as we know it.

Who's legend do you think will be greater?

I know who I have my money on.

ANBU4U
July 08, 2008, 10:41 AM
I think Robotic hit it right on the head; the whole point is that Luffy's smile is greater than Roger's. The whole series has been building to Luffy not just succeeding Roger, but surpassing him in every way.

We only have two concrete examples to base a comparison on so far, Robotic covered the first, the second is Skypiea. Both landed there. Roger made friends with Gan Fall, found the bell and poneglyph, and then sailed away. The Strawhats made friends with Gan Fall, found the bell and poneglyph, fought a battle of epic proportions, ended 400 years of warfare... I could keep going, but I doubt I need to. Which one do you think did the greater deeds?

For non-direct comparisons, just think of the incredible legend Luffy has already built; the first pirate to challenge the might of Enies Lobby, and moreover he suceeded! And then to turn around and challenge the Tennryubito; it's possible others have done this before, but at the very least it's incredibly rare. And lets face it, by the time Luffy claims the title as Pirate King, he will almost certainly be known as the pirate who brought down the World Government as we know it.

Who's legend do you think will be greater?

I know who I have my money on.

Gold Roger's. Without him Luffy has no dream.

Tsugomaru
July 08, 2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not going to say how another incurable disease will be done, although I do have some ideas of how it might work out, but Oda has never failed to surprise us with different variations and twists of previously used ideas.

It's what makes One Piece so special, his ability to twist things around from the expected.

~Tsugomaru